Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI hand KOST HD two, Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: OH KFI Radio.
Speaker 4: This is Mission Control Houston.
Speaker 3: Please call station for our voice check station.
Speaker 5: This is Amy King with kfi's wake up call. How do you hear me?
Speaker 6: I can hear you loud and clear.
Speaker 2: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 5: Landed and his name is Amy k.
Speaker 3: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 4: This is it is five oh one. This is your wake up call for Friday, May twenty third. Good morning, I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Lots going on today as usual, this day before Memorial Day weekend. Looks like the weather is going to be absolutely fantastic for Memorial Day. I love that when it's not too hot, not too cold. It's a Goldilocks moment.
Speaker 5: It's just right. Here's what's the head on wake up call.
Speaker 4: The FAA says six people on board the small plane that crashed into a San Diego military housing neighborhood presumably died. Two deaths have been confirmed. Music agency Sound Talent Group said three of its employees were killed in the crash, including the co founder, Dave Shapiro. The FAA says the plane was headed to Montgomery Gibbs Executive Airport when it went down early yesterday morning. PCH fully reopens this morning at eight am, more than four months after being closed because of the wildfire in Pacific Palisades. The road's been mostly limited to residents, businesses, and repair crew since January. Drivers are still expected to encounter a heavy security President's presence because of restricted access to the Palisades fire burn area. Gas prices for this holiday weekend the lowest we've seen since twenty twenty one, averaging four to eighty a gallon. In La County, prices have dropped eleven of the last twelve days. In Orange County, gas is averaging four to seventy two a gallon. The national average for gas is three twenty a gallon. Isn't that just crazy? Like a dollar fifty difference? And then we've got another tax probably kicking in in.
Speaker 5: July, so brace yourselves for that.
Speaker 4: Speaking of bracing yourselves, the twenty twenty five hurricane forecast is out. ABC's Jim Ryan's going to join us in just a couple of minutes to let us know what to expect. Medical advance is being made every day, we know that, but we don't always hear about them. We are going to hear about a couple of big ones that have come out in just the last week with futurist Kevin Surilli. That's coming up at five twenty. Looking forward to hearing what new advances have been made. We also have an update on a couple of the animals rescued from the fires by Pasadena Humane.
Speaker 5: Good news. I love this stuff.
Speaker 4: And then also that the viral video of the stray dog that fended off the pack of coyotes. Guess who's found himself as forever Home. We'll tell you the latest on that coming up at the bottom of the hour. And then it is a blockbuster weekend to Tom Cruise and Stitch or hitting the theaters. Abec's Will Gans is gonna give us a little preview that's coming up before the top of the hour. And if you don't feel like going to the movie theaters, turn on the sirens. There's a new limited series coming to Netflix. I want to hear about that one. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom.
Speaker 7: There's playing everywhere.
Speaker 4: Six people are presumed dead following the crash of a private jet into a neighborhood in San Diego. Those killed are said to include three employees of the music agency Sound Talent Group. The plane went down in heavy fog early yesterday morning. The pilot had asked air traffic Control about the weather.
Speaker 6: Picked out there a little better, but hireman about the show.
Speaker 8: But I believe not a great oute either.
Speaker 4: The plane hit home sin set cars on fires. No one on the ground was seriously hurt. Officials say the debris field was so wide it's going to take the NTSB a long time to investigate. San Diego fire officials say the military members who live in the neighborhood stepped up to help.
Speaker 7: I can tell you this, the military families did a phenomenal job as as firefighters were getting on scene to help one another, get people out of houses and going.
Speaker 5: I cannot commend them enough.
Speaker 4: The housing development is in San Diego, but it is contracted by the Navy. LA has closed it's nearly one billion dollar budget deficit and saved some of the jobs that were scheduled for layoffs.
Speaker 9: It took about six hours of debate at city Hall, but the thirteen point nine billion dollar budget was adopted by a twelve to three vot It restores about one thousand jobs from proposed layoffs, but hundreds could still be cut. Councilman Bob Bluomenfield says some civilian jobs at the LAPD have been restored so officers won't be pulled off the street to do, in.
Speaker 7: Some cases, jobs that they don't have the training for or the license to do that would have been very damaging for public safety.
Speaker 9: The budget calls for a slow down in police hiring. Council members park Lee and Rodriguez opposed the budgets, citing public safety concerns. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 4: The decline in the number of students enrolled in schools in California is slowing. A California Department of Education report shows enrollment dropped by just under a half percent for the twenty twenty four to twenty five school year from the previous year. Enrollment is still well below pre pandemic levels. Dual language immersion programs those are growing. There are now more than one thousand such programs. A thirty nine percent increase from twenty eighteen to twenty nineteen. Time to say good morning to ABC's Jim Ryan. Jim, we've got more storms on the horizon.
Speaker 6: Yeah, for sure. Over a dozen is the expectation this year. Amy Noah yesterday released its prediction for the hurricane season twenty twenty five, the Atlantic hurricane season I should say, I should say then the expectation thirteen to nineteen storms are expected to form in twenty twenty five. The hurricane season kind of officially begins on June first, although we've had hurricanes earlier than that and much later than they cut off date of November first. And so, yeah, thirteen to nineteen name storms, six to ten of which could become hurricanes. Three to five of those, according to Noah, are expected to reach category three status are stronger, making them major hurricanes.
Speaker 7: Amy.
Speaker 4: Okay, Now, just because we might see major storms, that doesn't mean they're going to make landfall, right or are they predicting that they do make landfall?
Speaker 6: Oh, you're right. Yeah, these could just swirl around out there in the Atlantic, but some percentage of them are expected to make landfall as well. So yeah, it's a good point because many these storms. They look dangerous, they look huge and powerful, and eventually just peter out out in the Atlantic or die in the middle of the Gulf.
Speaker 4: I think it's interesting that they can predict when a storm is going to whip up months out of ahead of schedule.
Speaker 6: Even they can't, No, they can't, they can't, but they just.
Speaker 5: Think the conditions are right exactly.
Speaker 6: They can look at the weather, the water temperature, and that has a lot to do with it. The surface water temperatures warmer, cooler, that's going to impact the likelihood of storms in the future. So they put all these the data into a big computer and then run the model. They let the thing advance and kind of determine exactly what's going to happen or what might happen in the coming weeks or months, and to come up with this prediction, and it's pretty dark accurate. They use a tool called the Hurricane Analysis and Forecast System HALFS, and last year it was quite accurate. The prediction was for and above normal season a range of seventeen to twenty five name storms and that's pretty much what we got last year.
Speaker 4: Okay, and what about those surprise storms? Remember that one that's spun up off of Mexico and about twenty four hours went from nothing to a really strong storm and slammed into the coast.
Speaker 6: Yes, it's become more and more common, you know, these ones in the golf that explode out of nowhere. And yesterday during the presentation, National Weather Service forecasters said that all of the big major hurricanes that we've had in the last thirty forty years began as tropical storms three days earlier. So it's just a three day process of ramping up from a thirty nine mile an hour tropical storm to a major hurricane. So yeah, you're right. These explosive storms seemed to becoming more common, and last year we had so many of them in the golf, not off the Atlantic.
Speaker 4: All Right, ABC's Jim Ryan batting down the hatches. Got another busy season coming up. Thank you so much, see you all right, have a great weekend. All right, all right, let's get back to some of the story coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. President Trump has threatened to slap a twenty five percent import tax on Apple unless iPhones are made in the US. That story's just hitting the newsroom, so we'll get more information on that as it comes in. Senator Adam Schiff has urged Secretary of Homeland Security Christy Noam to restore funding for earthquake retro fitting that's been canceled by the Trump administration. The thirty three million dollars caught would go to strengthen seven hundred and fifty to fifteen hundred apartment buildings that are vulnerable to collapse in an earthquake. FEMA canceled the Building Resilient Infrastructure and Communities program back on April fourth. Another eleven hundred troops are headed to the southern border. The Trump administration approved the additional soldiers for deployment as part of its crackdown on illegal immigration from Mexico. The new troops will bring the total number of service members to nearly ten thousand. About half of the new troops will be put to work on concer instruction. China has a drone mothership, but a lot of people say they're not worried about that.
Speaker 10: China says it's Jotan drone will be able to launch a one hundred small drones like bees from a hive. China says it's also modular for civilian or military use and able to be used for electronic warfare, strike and support, or emergency rescue. The drone mothership is a range of more than forty three hundred miles with an eighty two foot wingspan, which experts say makes it a big target. Its maximum altitude is about the same as a commercial aircraft, which is also well within the range of air defense systems like the US Patriot missile. Jotan makes its first test flight at the end of June, and the US Defense Department says it's aware of the behemoth.
Speaker 5: Michael Krozer KFI News the Behemoth.
Speaker 4: The Trump administration has barred Harvard University from allowing international students to enroll since the school has lost its ability to use the student and Exchange visitor program. The administration says Harvard lost the privilege for perpetuating an unsafe campus environment that's hostile to Jewish students, promotes pro Hamas sympathies, and employees racist diversity, equity and inclusion policies. Harvard says the move by the Trump administration is not legal. The man accused of stalking actress Jennifer Aniston and ramming his car into the front gate of her home in bel Air has been found mentally incompetent to stand trial.
Speaker 8: Jimmy Wayne Carweile is from Mississippi and is accused of showing up at Jennifer Aniston's house in bell Air crashing his car into her front gate. He's also accused of harassing her with voicemails, emails, and social media messages for about two years.
Speaker 4: He was arrested after the crash earlier this month. ABC's Alex Stone says Carwile has demanded a second opinion on his competency. Those really Those results are expected next week. And ACE Hardware is giving away one million American flags to honor members of the US Armed Forces ahead of Memorial Day.
Speaker 11: The flags are eight x twelve, but size doesn't matter. It's the message of honor and mourning military members who while serving our country. The flags will be available Saturday at participating ACE Hardware stores. No purchase necessary, one flag per customer while supplies last. There are nearly six thousand ACE Hardware stores coast to coast Free Tennis KFI News.
Speaker 4: And there's an ACE Hardware in my neighborhood. I think I know what I'm going to do. First thing, tomorrow morning. Tonight, the Dodgers take on the Mets in New York, with the first pitch going out at four o'clock. You can stream all the Dodgers games all season long in HD on the iHeartRadio app the keyword AM five seventy LA Sports. And be sure to stock up for your Memorial Day barbecue with Hafey Premium beef Franks and bacon wrapped hotdogs for seven ninety nine each with digital coupon at Smart and Final. All six people on board of private jet that crashed into a military housing neighborhood in San Diego are presumed dead. Music agency Sound Talent Groups said three of its employees were killed in the crash, including co founder Dave Shapiro. The crash sparked several fires and forced about one hundred people out of their homes. Eight people on the ground suffered minor injuries. A memorial outside city Hall in Paramount has been vandalized. The city says vandals ripped a bronze rifle from the Battlefield Cross and Soldier Art memorial. The sculpture depicts a soldier honoring a fallen colleague. The memorial was just unveiled last November, the city of Burbank has been recognized as a Tree City USA by the Arbor Day Foundation. This is the forty eighth year the city's gotten the distinction, the title given to cities committed to effective urban forest management. Burbank's Parks and rec Department manages about thirty three thousand trees. At six oh five, it's handle on the news and other judges blocked another of Trump's executive orders. Right now, let's say good morning to futurist Kevin So really, good morning, Kevin.
Speaker 7: Good morning, Thank you for having me. You know, a big reason why I founded Meet the Future was because there's all of this technology that's happening and changing our lives, and I want to try to help translate it for people. And there's some great news stories. I think I come bearing good news.
Speaker 3: Now I'm not a.
Speaker 7: Doctor, but I'm sorry about your cough, but there is a very good news story about Alzheimer's disease. The FDA just approved of the blood tests, just a standard blood test that detects Alzheimer's early. So previously, if if you have any experience with Alzheimer's or Huntington's or Parkinson's disease or dementia that you would have to typically get a spinal tap or a pet scan, but this test just makes it cheaper and faster and way more accessible before any of the symptoms even come on.
Speaker 4: Okay, So, Kevin, then the question is because that is that's a big thing, because I mean, we get, yes, I had a health issue, and so I get blood tests like every six months, and they're kind of no big deal. But with that detection ability, knowing that there's really there's still no cure anything for Alzheimer's, are there things that can be done if people find out that they have or will be getting Alzheimer's or is it still this is just helping people to identify it.
Speaker 7: So it's a great question because the technology, the artificial intelligence which is training on these massive data seens, it gives people the choice of whether or not to know. But to your point, and it's a great question, there's still no cure. But I would argue that the choice of whether or not you want to find out before the symptoms take hold arms the individual with the information. Now, obviously everyone has to make the decision that's best for them, and they should talk to their doctor. I am not a doctor. I am just trying to translate as a journalist what the doctors are saying. But I will tell you that if you are able to plan for things, that would give you more information and more knowledge for you, for your family, for your loved ones, and that there are more treatments that are becoming more and more readily available to offset some of the symptoms. So separately from that, Similarly, in the UK, scientists are using DNA sequencers, which are during brain surgery to find brain tumors. Now, typically diagnostics for brain tumor could happen in two months. Now it's happening in two hours. So it's just underscores that artificial intelligence is helping to make all of this happen way more quickly, and two hours versus two months, especially when you get into cancer treatment, is a big, big deal.
Speaker 4: Okay, So I want to ask you about that because I was a little i read your notes on that I was a little confused. So normally, if you are looking to diagnose a brain tumor, it could take up to two months to figure it out.
Speaker 7: Well, well, just think of all of the tests that you have to undergo and everything in the detection and so all of the processes and the procedures. But now because they're if they're doing nanopor sequencing, which reads the DNA in real time. Because of this new technology, the patient's still on the table, so it shrinks the diagnostic times from again eight weeks to two hours. And then there's another major development that's happening. And this happened in Philadelphia, which I grew up outside of the city. This is one of my favorite ones of this week. I'm not sure if you guys saw it, but it did make it did get some national attention. But for the first time ever, not just in America but anywhere around the world, doctors rewrote a baby's genetic code as a one off therapy that was tailored exactly to a child's rare disease. So this was not necessarily a cure, but it was a personalized DNA fix. This baby had a very rare genetic disorder and they were able to literally correct the DNA sequencing and all for a tailor fixed to save the baby's life. Why is this important Because when we talk about things like Alzheimer's or Parkinson's or Huntington's or als as the science continues to evolve. If the technology is able to identify which genes or where in the DNA sequencing that code is to be able to fix, that could really be a massive, massive leap forward. And in one specific case in Philadelphia, they were able to save this child's life.
Speaker 4: Okay, so all this stuff just catches my brain on fire. I'm like, how do you do? How do you go in and change a little tiny piece of DNA? So the baby had some sort of a rare condition or the baby was going to develop the situate the condition is it?
Speaker 7: You know, is it like in this case the child had the rare disease? But it's a great question because it is. It makes my brain on fire too, and I totally hear you. But essentially, if you think of DNA as a code, like a computer code with all of that, you know, the like the M dashes and the slashes, and you know the code and that's written in a computer system. If you think of it like that, the scientists and the technologists and the doctors, if they are able to identify where in that code there's an error or where in that code there isn't ability there is something that would cause it to be in this case, for this particular child, a rare genetic disease or disorder. If they can zap that and get that out, then they can think they can prevent it from from happening, which is a huge deal. And so obviously this is a great use case that happened in Philadelphia, but there are ethical conversations that come of that as well, and that's where meet the future. And what I'm really interested in is, you know, policy makers, I'm based in Washington, d C. Are they even having these types of conversations as the technology advances? Is our healthcare system? Are our regulations keeping pace? And I'm not sure the answer is yet.
Speaker 4: Well, I remember that we were talking about this, not you and I, but we we'd been talking about this, I don't know, a year or two ago, and they were talking about the DNA sequencing and being able to fix it. And then people were saying, because what you're going to do is you're going to get people who have money and they're going to make baby designer babies.
Speaker 5: Basically they're gonna say, I want.
Speaker 7: Well, they're doing it with dogs. Yeah, they're doing it with dogs. I mean Paris Hilton has been out there and she actually had and and I mean I'm taking a sharp left turn, but to your point, I mean there are companies out there where if you have a beloved pet that they will you know, recreate that pet. And so you know, we're welcome to the future where you can where that's the thing. You know, there's a company in Texas. There's another company in the UK, hey, that's doing that, and so it is super expensive, but it is a conversation that's happening. Until your point, the ethical cultural conversations around that are equally as important. But I can tell you this much. In Philly, the parents of that baby, that child just had their life saved. But that's a good news story.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, And I love like what I was saying before we started talking was telling wake up call listeners that they're making these kinds of breakthroughs all the time, we just don't necessarily hear about them. So I'm so excited that we got the opportunity to talk to you, and hopefully, thank you, we'll have another conversation soon about the future.
Speaker 5: Sure, thank you, thank you for having me.
Speaker 9: I Holpe.
Speaker 5: You feel better all right, Thanks so much.
Speaker 4: Kevin Surally futurist on the future of medicine. Very isn't that exciting? I mean like crazy, and yes, my brain does explode with that. Okay, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The man accused of starting a more than forty thousand acre fire in San Bernardino County has been found guilty of arson. Thirty four year old Justin Halstenberg was convicted yesterday of seven counts related to the Line fire in Highland in September and two counts related to another fire. He's facing life in prison. Thousands of residents were displaced during the Line fire. Six firefighters were injured. A former deputy la mayor has agreed to plead guilty to making a fake bomb threat.
Speaker 9: Federal prosecutor say Brian Williams has admitted to lying about a bomb threat to city hall, where he was deputy mayor of Public Safety. The Department of Justice says Williams was in a virtual meeting when he used a Google phone app to call his own city issued phone and then left the meeting to call LAPD. He says an unknown man made the threat over the city's perceived support of Israel. The felony count against Williams could lead to a ten year prison sentence. The mayor's office says it was surprised by the allegation and saddened by the outcome. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 4: Contact in the Desert is about to get underway in Indian Hill, Indian Wells. What's being dubbed the Coachella for a Lovers is a five day event featuring more than sixty leading voices in UAPs and UFOs. They'll be talking about life beyond Earth and more. The event starts next Thursday and runs through the following Monday. The founder of the fertility clinic and Palm Springs targeting the last weekend's car bombing, has offered to pay for the bomber's funeral. He says he forgives the man and has been in contact with his family. Twenty five year old Guy Barcas was killed in the attack that also injured four other people.
Speaker 5: A fifth round of.
Speaker 4: Talks between Iran and the US over Tehran's nuclear program have begun in Rome. Metro's Board of directors has approved a nine point four billion dollar spending plan for twenty twenty six. The plan is a two percent, or over one hundred and eighty million dollars increase over this year's budget. The board sided public safety and more frequent transit services for the rise in spending. Okay, wanted to give you a quick update on some pups. First of all, you've probably seen the video. How can you not, but the video of that dog, a stray dog in Brea that spent about forty five minutes fending off a pack of coyotes the other day. So, this beautiful, young one year old German Shepherd lab mix is described as a healthy, happy dog that officials said before his adoption could be an ideal companion and of course a good guard dog because he was ably able to successfully fend off five coyotes. His name is Duke and he has been adopted. He was taken to Orange County Animal Care Shelter and Duke has a new home. Isn't that so great? The other thing that came out of this is that animal experts were talking about this and they said that the coyotes were not trying to attack and kill the dog, because he said, they're not like cannibals by nature. They don't attack other dogs. They're kind of doing a territory thing, and it's kind of their way to communicate. So if you watch the whole video and see how Duke reacted, it's a little bit different than what we initially thought. But still Duke spend forty five minutes keeping himself safe, So kudos to Duke. Okay, we know that hundreds, actually more than a thousand animals were rescued by Pasadena Humane following the Eaton fire in Alzadina and Pasadena, and we went out and about and if you want to see I would highly recommend that you go to my Instagram at Amy K.
Speaker 5: King.
Speaker 4: You can also see it at KFI AM six forty. We show some of the animals that Pasadena Humane has treated and continues to treat. And it's four months later, right, Well, there's finally Skinny Minnie, which I think we have video of. I'm not one hundred percent sure, but she's this beautiful cat who was burned in the fire and needed a lot of rehab And finally, more than four months later, Pasadena Humane put out a press release and said Skinny Minnie was finally able to come home to her family or go home with her family, and they said it was a day of tears and joy and all that stuff, because you've become very attached to these animals as you're caring for them, and you know they when they're burned, they have to make sure that their little faces are okay and their ears are okay, and their paws get singed, and they treat all of that. And some of them had like smoke inhalation and other things that they had to be treated. And it took about four months to get skinny, many healthy enough to go home, but she got to go home, and so that's so great. Then one other one and I if you get a chance, go to Pasadena HU Means website and check out this dog. His name is Riley. He is absolutely stunningly beautiful. It's a big he's white, and he looks like he's got some shepherd in him, but just beautiful. And Riley was taken in less than twenty four hours after the eating fire. He was exhausted, covered in soot and ash, had burns all over, including on all four of his paws. He had smoke inhalation, dehydration, and the Pasadena Humane Veterinary Group they went and they started taking care of him and it's been like four months. It's been a long haul because he doesn't have an owner. They don't know who owned Riley before, and he had some pretty severe injuries and so they've had to nurse him back to health. And also as they're treating him, you know, they're treating his paws and changing his bandages, and that doesn't feel good. So he's kind of developed this a little bit of an aversion to people touching him, which is really kind of non intuitive for dogs because they're you know, they love to be touched and petted. He is very good though, once he gets to know you, and he is absolutely like I said, he's just a beautiful, beautiful dog. And four months later he's ready to be adopted. So if you are at all interested in adopting a dog, Riley might be the one for you. That he does have a couple of special things because of the injuries and the rehab and all of that stuff, so they want to make sure that they place him in the right home. But if you're looking for a new dog, whether it's Riley or any of the dogs at Pasadena Human or Cats, go check him out because they're so gorgeous and Riley kind of becas the face of Pasadena Humane after the fires, and I just again, we work really closely with Pasadena Humane. You know that we do all kinds of stuff with them, and we love what they do and are so thankful for everybody who works to help save the animals. They're still caring for animals. They're still sheltering and boarding animals because their families don't have a home to go back to. So Pasadena Humane love what you're doing. Okay, time to get in your business with Bloomberg's Courtney Donahoe. Courtney, I was watching the stock market today and it was like it's a little bit down, no big deal, and all of a sudden it dove about five hundred points.
Speaker 12: What happened exactly, It was all quiet here on Wall Street, good morning. First of all, everyone was scared enough for the holiday, dreams of a long weekend of summer fun.
Speaker 5: And then President Trump posted on hun truth social and all hell broke loose.
Speaker 12: So we are looking at a sell off today with Apple and the European Union in the President's crosshairs. He threatened fifty percent terrifying goods for the European Union starting on June first, saying the discussions with them are going nowhere. Meantime, he also said he would hit Apple with tariffs of at least twenty five percent if it doesn't make its iPhones in the US. So right now, SMP futures they're falling. They're down one point three percent down. Futures are tumbling four hundred and eighty points. So you never know what's going to happen when you wake up here on Wall Street.
Speaker 4: All right, we will see how that all plans out. So in the stock some people may be losing money, but Ryan Reynolds hauled in some cash yesterday.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, no doubt about it.
Speaker 12: He made a little money because shares of advertising platform mountains or it's sixty five percent in its first day of trading on the New York Stock Exchange. What is someton so mountain it's spelled MNTN, and it helps small and mid sized businesses advertise on streaming networks. And Ryan Reynolds is the chief creative officer for the company. They say that is just a big area where people forgot about these companies. A lot of them are investing on social media, but not really on streaming networks. So this kind of fill that gap, so he actually is pretty involved, the CEO of the company, says, Ryan Reynolds has a big role in the overall branding of the company.
Speaker 5: He's just not a name being attached with it.
Speaker 12: He actually sat down with bankers last week in the run up to the company's initial public offering. But it definitely was a good day yesterday for that company, for Mountain.
Speaker 4: Interesting that Ryan Reynolds has you know, is involved in that, and then also with Mint Mobile, which is getting lower cost phones to people, and then again working to get streaming advertising to people who might not know about it or I might not be able to afford it.
Speaker 12: Ryan Reynolds, Yeah, but no matter what, like a lot of athletes, a lot of actors, a lot of folks in creative industries are looking at other ways to be able to make money, you know, things like an acting career. Sometimes you know, there's there's not many people like George Clooney have the lasting and staying power of how many years, and sometimes it's a little harder for somebody branded as an action star. So a lot of these companies, a lot of these people are looking at other ways to be able to set up revenue streams for their future in case they do have to step back from acting or step back from the playing field.
Speaker 4: All right, okay, so real quick, because we had a run. But before we let you, Top Gun Attraction is coming to Vegas.
Speaker 5: What's that?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 12: And we all love a little top gun. So I'm going to play this for you, hopfield.
Speaker 8: Paid paid first fed.
Speaker 5: Yes, So this Top Gun Attraction.
Speaker 12: It's going to include fighter jets, stimulations, and other immersive experiences, as well as a bar with live piano singalongs.
Speaker 13: Maybe we can hear this one.
Speaker 5: I love that.
Speaker 12: But it's expected to debut in the summer of twenty twenty eight next to the Strat Hotel, casino and Tower. But like a lot of film and TV studios, Paramount has been looking for new ways to cash in on well known.
Speaker 5: Characters and stories.
Speaker 4: Just like that, you just reminded me that this is a perfect weekend to go watch Top Gun again.
Speaker 5: I think I'll do it.
Speaker 12: Oh, that sounds like a good idea. Maybe I'll do that too, Hi, right bloomber yeh. By the way, I'm not here on Monday.
Speaker 5: I know you're le holiday. That's markets are closed. But we'll see you on Tuesday.
Speaker 4: You betcha and we'll be here. Kono's going to be here, AND's going to be here. I'm going to be here. Neil Sevader's going to be here. Courtney Donaho in your business.
Speaker 5: We'll talk to you tuesday. Yes, I'll see you then, all right, take care.
Speaker 4: La City Council's approved at thirteen point nine billion dollar budget for fiscal year twenty twenty five twenty six.
Speaker 5: The vote was twelve to three.
Speaker 4: Yesterday, the council approved several changes to Mayor Bas's original budget that would have included more than sixteen hundred layoffs and a nearly billion dollar gap. Harvard University has sued the Trump administration over a new ban on enrolling foreign students. About twenty five percent of Harvard students are from other countries. Two time Oscar winning actress Hillary Swank is tonight's commencement speaker at Chapman University. University president Danielle Strupa says Swank embodies the resilience, integrity, and transformative spirit Chapman strives to instill in its students. We're just minutes away from handle on the news this morning. All kinds of good stuff to talk about. So you want to stick around for that starts at six oh five. Right now, let's dig into the movies and say good morning to ABC's Will gans Will.
Speaker 5: We got a couple of blockbusters.
Speaker 3: That's right, and it could be a potentially record setting weekend at the Memorial Day box office this weekend, thanks in large part to Tom Cruise and what could be the final installment question mark of the Mission Impossible franchise.
Speaker 4: It's like those farewell tours that people that all that like Share keeps doing right.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent, except when it's Share, I'm like, yes, please keep going on tour. We never want to say goodbye. But yeah, So this movie is massive. It's epic in scale and in length. It's two hours and forty nine minutes long. But you know, it's action packed and it seems like a fitting send off to Ethan Hunt and Tom Cruise and this tenth movie in the franchise. So it's big and it's explosive, and he does all his own stunts, which is just insane, but fans are loving it. So Mission Impossible Final Reckoning is in theaters this weekend.
Speaker 4: Okay, and then we're going from heart Throb to I don't know, a little rodent you looking thing who I love.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he's a cute little roaded do you looking thing. Leelo and Stitch, the live action remake, is surfing into theaters this weekend too, and this thing, I mean, the numbers that it's posting are crazy, like this could be Disney's biggest Memorial Day weekend since one of the Star Wars movies and Pirates of the Caribbean movies. And you know, they knew that families were going to be really into this, but the demographic that's tracking like huge is women gen Z and millennial women who I guess must have you know, loved the movie the first movie from two thousand and two, and now they're going back to see it again. And you know, fans are really really raving about this movie, so you know, critics like it. Fans I think are loving it. So we'll have to see where we land on Monday. But yeah, it seems like a lot of people are super excited about Leelo and Stitch.
Speaker 4: Kind of have a far cry from Snow White, which pretty much tanked at the box office for one of Disney's live action.
Speaker 3: Movies exactly exactly, so hopefully you know, this one will be a little bit more kinder to fans than that one was.
Speaker 5: I think it'll be fun.
Speaker 4: I loved Leelo and Stitch, and with all their funky little characters, they're alien characters.
Speaker 5: They might be able to get away with all the.
Speaker 3: Cg exactly exactly. I mean, they're aliens, so you know, it's who's to say, like, you know, oh, that doesn't look like a realistic alien. You know, I'm sure it does. So yeah, that'll be great. And what I love too is Lelo and Stitch is directed by Dean Fleischer Camp, who also was the writer and director of Marcel The Shechell with Shoes on. I don't know if you saw that in twenty twenty one, but that's one of my all time favorite movies. So I trust him to put together a really sweet story.
Speaker 5: Okay, Marcel the Show.
Speaker 3: Yes, Oh my god, I love it so much.
Speaker 5: I'm going to put that on my list. And we're totally out of time.
Speaker 4: But if you don't want to go to the movies, Netflix has a new short series that's coming.
Speaker 3: Out five episodes. It's called Sirens. Julianne Moore is in it. She plays a really creepy way too possessive boss and Megan say. He plays the sister of that boss's assistant, coming to get her out of the clutches of this overbearing boss. Five episodes, creepy, kind of funny, all on Netflix.
Speaker 4: Now, Okay, wait, who's Megan Fahey? Why do I know that name?
Speaker 3: She was in White Lotus season two. She was the blonde girl who was married to THEO James. Yeah, she's she's sort of like an up and coming star.
Speaker 4: But she's oh, oh, oh, okay, I just I just googled her. Now I know who it is. Okay, very cool. Yeah, ABC's willgans, thank you so much. Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend.
Speaker 3: All right, you too, any take care?
Speaker 4: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom.
Speaker 5: We can squeeze in a couple more before we head out.
Speaker 4: Medicaid may soon require prior approvals for hospice care under California's new state budget plan that would potentially save twenty five million dollars over two years and over fifty million long term. Some experts say this could prevent some hospices from accepting medical patients especially in rural areas, and could lead to more costly er visits. Among other things, LA Metro's nine point four billion dollar budget for the next fiscal years been approved.
Speaker 9: It includes an increase in spending on public safety, now more than three hundred and ninety two million dollars, as the transit agency prepares to bring law enforcement in house. Board chair and LA County Supervisor Janis Han says the new budget responds to writers' wishes.
Speaker 8: Really having a budget that looks for to our own security public safety department.
Speaker 9: Various transit expansion projects like the lax Metro Transit station and the San Fernando Valley lightrail project are funded, and ten million dollars is for cleaning up train stations and adding some restrooms. Michael monks KFI News and.
Speaker 4: Before you hit the waves this weekend, be sure to check the water quality Heal the Bay's latest report ranks the Santa Monica Peer as California's second most polluted beach because of high bacteria levels from urban runoff and bird waste. Other hotspots include Imperial Beach and Linda mar Beach. For the full list, you can check out Beach report Card dot org.
Speaker 5: Good to know, good to Check.
Speaker 4: This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County, live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer Michelle, who's in for An and technical producer Cono, also traffic specialist Will. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call. If you missed in he wake Up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on kf I AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.