Speaker 1: Live from the heart of the nation's capital. This is a Jim Acosta Show special report.
Speaker 2: All right, hey, everybody, welcome to the Jim Acosta Show. And it's seventy seven days until the midterms in America and the White House this week, let it be known in no uncertain terms that it really, really, definitely does not want to hear questions about Natalie Harp. Let's discuss with Jonathy, last of the Bulwark. Jonathan, great to see you as always. Thanks for coming on.
Speaker 3: Jim, Thanks for having me. It's great to be here.
Speaker 1: Buddy. Oh, it's good to be with you too.
Speaker 2: And I mean, you know, just to catch I don't think people need to be caught up to speed, but just in case. Natalie Harp, the aid of Donald Trump, who has been dubbed the human printer. I think Maggie Haberman has referred to Natalie Harp as Trump's binky, kind of like a security blanket. You know, we saw what took place. I guess it was what over the weekend where John Ossoff, Senator from Georgia, says he doesn't want to do the job talking about Trump.
Speaker 1: He wants to build his ballroom.
Speaker 2: Travel with Natalie on their apparently defenseless flying palace gifted by the emirror of Cutter. And I want to get into my former colleague Christen Holmes a scene and asking about that, and then Trump blowing his top and going nuts and the White House going nuts on this. But it seems to me that John Ossoff is playing Trump like a Harp. I mean, you know, you know he came on glued yesterday, and I think that was the desired effect from John Ossoff.
Speaker 3: I mean, he sure squealed like it was a soft spot, didn't he. And uh, I mean, I don't know if your audience knows this, but the weirdest thing about Natalie Harp is not the stuff we know now about her, like getting in the catering van the catering trolley with Trump and Dan Scavino and all that. The weird thing is that should they call her the human printer? Because for the last many years she has carried around a battery powered portable printer which she uses to print out stories or comments from the Internet that she thinks Donald Trump will like and then hand them to him in real time. Right, it's the craziest thing I've ever heard, Right, because they understand that the boss needs a constant stream of affirmations, and so she is always there, like on her phone, finding a nice thing to print. And of course, because he's an old person, you can't just like show him the phone. You have to like print it out on paper because otherwise it's not real, right, Yeah, And so Asoff makes this dig, and Trump and everybody in Trump world immediately seems to assume that this is an insinuation of some sort of untoward relationship, when the reality is from the Maggie Haberman and John this one book, it would actually be much more normal if there was some sort of improper relationship, because instead what we have is this case of a woman whose function is to walk around with a battery powered portable printer and print things out and hand him and she all on her own, writes Little mash notes that she rides around the residence for him to see, just for him to stumble upon in what she tells me what a great man he is. That is way fucking weirder than the idea that maybe he's having an affair with her or something.
Speaker 2: Right, and then there's this whole story, I think Sarah Matthews the former White House Deputy Press secretary told where she said that, you know, aids around Trump were so concerned about Natalie Harp that didn't want her around. I think it was at Bedminster, and then she started to hide out in the in the women's locker room at Bedminster so she could continue to be in his orbit, be around him, and that sort of thing. And so, yeah, very strange, very peculiar behavior. But I'm with you, Jonathan. I think it says more about Trump's fractured psyche that he needs a Natalie Harp sort of hovering around him to you know, puff him up, you know, every chance that he needs it. And it's it's very it's very strange. And I think John oss Off, you know, I mean, somebody had to get this party started and say what the fuck is going on with this?
Speaker 1: It's strange. Yeah, yeah, it's a weird thing.
Speaker 3: I can't I mean, Trump is the most powerful man in the world, right, Like, what does he need somebody, you know, forty five years younger than he is printing out notes for him to make him feel again. It just boy, there's a lot going on there.
Speaker 1: It's weird. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then of course, you know I mean, don't put any of these people around a poker table, Donald Trump or any of the age over at the White House, because they had an incredible tell during this photo opportunity.
Speaker 1: I guess it was yesterday.
Speaker 2: Kristen Holmes, a CNN former colleague of mine, asked about John Ossoff and what he said, and he kind of answered the question in sort of a normal Trumpian way there. He didn't blow his top at that point. He just said, weird shit. Let's play that.
Speaker 4: Don Off that said.
Speaker 5: He'd be rather travel with your aid Natalie Harp and build the ballroom than do your job as president.
Speaker 4: What is John off of?
Speaker 6: You mean? Pee wee herman, pe wee herman. Look a lot. No, I would much rather do other things. It's say, we're building a great facility here, we're fixing a White House that hasn't been taken care of. The whole building. The White House was let go. The exteriors were falling apart, the columns were falling apart, the whole place was a mess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Jav, I mean that wasn't really when he got I mean, he said weird shit there, and he went and talked about the ballroom.
Speaker 1: But it was.
Speaker 2: It was later on when another reporter was asking about how he's going to betray South Korea. I guess I don't know WHI there's this whole subcontext met with in South Korea anyway that this whole thing get started, and Kristen tries to interject and ask another question, and then he goes bananas to.
Speaker 4: Scale back on those Quiet.
Speaker 6: You're very disrespectful in front of this young man. Okay, don't you find her disrespectful? You can't understands?
Speaker 1: Quiet? Who are you with?
Speaker 4: And we're seeing that news. I just wanted to follow up on this South yours.
Speaker 6: You're a loud, boisterous person in your faith.
Speaker 5: I was trying to find out if you had been talking to King, if you had asked you to scale bout on the plitary excess salary.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then and then it goes into the Rapid Response team over at the White House, Rapid Response forty seven, which might as well be called in Cell forty seven. They sort of behave like that on social media. Some day your children will come across your disgusting and inhumane question, they tweet, this is an official White House government account. They will be sick and embarrassed to have a parent be so callous and vindictive.
Speaker 1: It's quite troubling. And I wrote a self whole sub stick about this JV. I you know I was. This made me so livid. I don't talk about seeing them very much.
Speaker 2: It's just like it's my old shop and now I'm here and I'm enjoying this. But I don't like the way he denigrated my friend Kristin. I will just say that, and I just the way he denigrates women.
Speaker 1: Reporters is disgraceful and despicable.
Speaker 2: And the way other reporters don't stand up for one another makes me sick to this to my stomach.
Speaker 1: But your thoughts on all.
Speaker 3: This, yeah, you know so I never you did that. Gig you you know you stood around and asked questions of the president. I never did that. I don't understand why the reporters in the room allow that.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 3: And if you you know, if if the president of the United States does that to one of your colleagues and then turns to you and says go ahead, seems just seems to me your response should be no, I'd like to hear you answer her.
Speaker 1: Question yes exactly, or knock it off, you know. I mean, we're roll in the guild, right, yeah, I mean, and.
Speaker 2: The wh h to my understanding, even at this hour, I'll go back. I can check see if I'm wrong about As of earlier today, they had not said anything.
Speaker 1: And it's so weird.
Speaker 2: I don't understand why nobody just stands up for somebody in this town. And it's it's it's rather disgraceful, I have to say. And it's weak, weak sauce.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: It's funny like back in the day people used to complain like, oh, all this fake civility between the you know, the administration people regardless of administration, and the repress and it's gross. And I get that, right, I mean, you have a lot of people playing parts in doing kabuki theater, but at least it was civilized. And now you have this one side of kabuka like where Trump can just say whatever he wants and then the press all just sits and pretends that it's normal and addresses him like it's all normal. And I don't. I just don't get who's.
Speaker 1: Served by that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't either, And I just think that you know, when you have people on a government social media account tweeting those sorts of things. It says to me that there's a real cult life atmosphere inside that White House, an extremely weird and unhealthy situation going on inside that White House where they feel like they have to lash out, And it just reveals that there are questions to be asked about Natalie Harp and this strange relationship whatever it is.
Speaker 1: I don't know what it is. You know, maybe it's just a personal friendship.
Speaker 2: I have no idea, but I mean, as you know, when they act that way, it makes you want to ask more questions.
Speaker 1: So I don't know what the strategy is there. It seems stupid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now it's it is crazy to me. And also again just the rank hypocrisy of the Trump people then going and saying, oh, how uncivil. Yes, then calls people piggy and whose entire brand is that, Like, we don't have to play by the fake Norman normality anymore, and it's okay to be rough around the edges and insult people by now they're like, oh, dare you my delicate honor?
Speaker 1: Yes exactly, guys. It's obnoxious.
Speaker 2: And part of this, I think is because I've been talking about this on much. I mean, the second administration for Donald Trump has been an absolute spectacular failure.
Speaker 1: It is, you know, it's.
Speaker 2: In a nose dive, and he's lashing out on a daily basis because I think even he knows deep down, despite the deer leader treatment he gets all the time, that he has completely shipped the bad. You know, he's tweeting things like that the US now controls the Strait of War moves as a US territory. I hope we could show that there's I mean, that's I you know, I've run out of words. Maybe it's because I've been off a little bit, you know here and there, and I you know, John helped me out here. I mean, this is this is some strange cuckoo for Coco Pops North Korea stuff that's going on.
Speaker 3: So I claiming the Strait as a US territory is one of the things that I just looked at. And if you wind back the clock to the before times ten years ago, if any US president had done that, it would have been almost immediate grounds for like twenty fifth Amendment, because what that means if we are claiming that we're going to annex this and make it US territory. That is an attack on the rest of the entire world. This is Tradeformers is an international waterway governed by international law. I believe the term of art maritime law is harmless passage, just granted to all people trying to transit. And what this tweet says, if you take it I face value, because he's the President of the States, is we are overriding unilaterally, overlining international law. We now control this waterway, and you guys will all suffer at our own, our own wishes for it. That's an active war. And yet I mean, I don't know if two percent of America will ever even see this happen. Everyone just goes, well, you know, it's Trump, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 1: Exactly No.
Speaker 2: And the other two is, I mean, this war is deeply unpopular as it is, and it's really just, you know, an air war where we're bombing the shit out of stuff and then drones wreek havoc in the Strait and that has kind of resulted in the stalemate. Taking over the Straight of Hormus as a US territory would require a much larger military presence, and we can't even feed from the sailors of permanent, permanent.
Speaker 1: I mean, Puerto Rico is a US territory, you know, like it.
Speaker 2: Would be like that, and uh and we know what he thinks of Puerto Rico. But you know the thing is is like this, this would I mean, this would exacerbate what is already a colossal screw up for him.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And again, I just I look at this, and it is funny to me that nobody, nobody pretends that the words of the President of the United States mean anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, you if it's Joe Biden. God, well, you know he said this one thing that was only fifty percent at one time, and how dari you know, I mean, we really have to question everything with Trump. It's just well, you know, he just says stuff, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And this, you know, is like when he was going to take over Greenland, right when he was just talking about South Korea and how South Korea you know, we like them a little bit less. We liked our North Korean friends a little more. And I this is a real question for you, Jim. Is this permanent or is this just unique to Trump? Is it Trump has some special magic that the whole I mean and I don't mean just like the American voters, Oh that's part of it, or just the media. Yeah, the whole international order looks at this and just is like, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 1: John?
Speaker 2: I will tell you I it's a great question, and it's something I've wrestled with for some time. I will tell you I do some functions around DC from time to time where all go to this diplomatic function of that diplomatic function. And I told this story recently on the show, where a pretty close US allied ambassador for that country came up to me at a party. This was about a month ago or so and said, Jim, this was after I think this was after and when he gave the crazy batshit election conspiracy theory speech, which we've all flushed out of our systems because we just move on to the next crazy dark that he does. And this ambassador said to me, Jim, this reminds me of nineteen thirties Germany. What is happening in America right now? And then another ambassador for another major US ally standing next to this person was nodding and saying, Yep, that's what it reminds me of. Two And people need to understand the rest of the world is starting to form this conclusion that the United States of America is just in a serious fucking jam right now, and nobody knows how we're going to get out of this, and this whole idea that some Democratic candidate's going to ride in on a white horse and change everything overnight.
Speaker 1: I just I don't know what you.
Speaker 2: Guys think over the bulwark. You guys have some various two political observers over there as you are. I'm curious what you think.
Speaker 1: Of that question before we go.
Speaker 3: I don't know the answer, Yeah, and nobody does, right, nobody knows the answer. We'll find out. My concern is that at the end of the day, this isn't really a Trump problem. It's an America problem. You know, seventy seven million people voted for him. They knew what it was, you know, they saw him attempt to coop, they saw they lived through COVID, right, I mean, they and those seventy seven million people don't go away, And so what is it. Either they are unseerious people or they're pernicious people who want Trump. And I don't even know which is worse. Honestly, I don't you know, there's a famous line, you know, attributed to some European under secretary of something said that, like, you know, look, in Europe, we now realize that we cannot have the fate of the Western order hanging on the will of forty thousand voters in Wisconsin every four years. That's right, And I think that's what the rest of the world is going. If you just I mean, if you look at the European defense industry, like they are pouring money into their own defense industrial complex, they are decoupling from America, South Korea, Japan and the Philippines and everybody over in Asia is going to be decoupling from America as fast as possible. That's right, because it isn't enough to just replace Trump with President whoever, right, I mean, what would have to happen is you would have to demonstrate that the American people realize the Trump decade, the Trump back age, was a mistake, and that they are really you know, they've learned from it and become more serious and whatnot.
Speaker 4: And I don't know that that's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with you. I totally agree with you.
Speaker 2: Well, Jonathan v Last, thank you so much for coming on today.
Speaker 1: Great to catch up.
Speaker 2: Let's do this again soon and don't be a stranger there, kid, Let's let's do this again.
Speaker 3: Thanks anytime, my friend.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having good to.
Speaker 2: See you, JVL of the Bulwark, the Great Bullwark, doing great stuff. Thanks, thanks so much, Bohn. I want to quickly go to my next guest, the wonderful, the talented, the amazing Ali Vitally of MS now. Ali, it's great to see you, as as you say on MS down and some other anchors eight my friend, they say they thanks for joining me, my friend, but.
Speaker 4: You are my friend, of course is you are my friend?
Speaker 1: We are friends. I know it's so true. Here it's great to have you on.
Speaker 2: And it's a primary day across a lot of states, and we've had lots of primaries over the last several weeks.
Speaker 1: I want to get to that.
Speaker 2: But you can also say, Jim, shut up if I ask you about this, because you and I were on the twenty sixteen campaign together and we I mean we had I guess we were baptized by fire, as they say, with Donald Trump covering him and Kristin Holmes's our friend. What did you think of that whole thing? I wrote a whole thing for my substack about it. I was very hurt by what I saw and what the White House did on top of that, with that rapid response account. Your thoughts on all this, and then we'll get to what I told you we would talk about.
Speaker 4: I had to ask you have carte blanche as always?
Speaker 5: I mean, yeah, Kristin was out there with us in twenty fifteen and twenty sixteen.
Speaker 4: She's a close personal friend.
Speaker 5: Obviously, it's never nice when you see your friends be attacked for doing their jobs, let alone.
Speaker 4: A good job at their jobs.
Speaker 5: And she is just such a fantastic reporter who is always asking tough questions and questions frankly that we needed to know the answers to. She was trying to get a sense of, like when did you talk to Kim Jong un? Why were you rolling back the South Korea joint exercises? And of course also what John Assoff said about Natalie Harp and the other things that Trump is doing as part of his his administration. And so it doesn't feel good to see that for your friend. But then I think the bigger question here is the way that the rapid response account brought her kids into this.
Speaker 4: I mean, they're young. And also like there is.
Speaker 5: An unspoken role in this world where like you don't talk about kids who are not in the business or actively in politics. And I mean, I'm sure you. I know I have gone to great length to like put a camera down when a kid has been like getting in the car someone who happens to be running for something. Right, So like the idea that this White House is not just stepping over that barrier but smashing it as they do with everything else. Right, it's not shocking, but it is really disheartening and really scary.
Speaker 4: And he does this to women.
Speaker 5: I mean that account attacks everybody, but the president seems to have a particular problem with female reporters who hold their ground, who ask questions that he doesn't want to answer. And she's not doing that for herself, Like she is doing it to get the American public the best understanding of a number of issues. And I think that's what people should keep in mind. It's not us talking about like, oh, our friend, like that was hard to see. It's like, why isn't he answering questions that could help an American public better understand the moves of his administration?
Speaker 4: And it's because everything's a distraction from something else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I totally agree with all of that. I think that's so important what you just said. And I really wish and I know that folks will say, oh that that's nice that you say that, Jim, it's little pie in the sky, little pollyannish.
Speaker 1: I do wish that another reporter.
Speaker 2: I mean, like as Peter Alexander did for me way back in the day when Trump came after him. Peter, like our friend Peter Alexander, who is our friend.
Speaker 1: Stood up for me. I would like to see more of that.
Speaker 2: And I don't think that's unreasonable, and I don't think that should get somebody in trouble with their boss at the at the bureau or at the office. If you defend your.
Speaker 5: Comus in that pool now, right, Like true, it's not the same you know, crop of folks who all want the same good faith Q and A. At least I don't know who else was in the pool that day. I'm just saying generally, it's a different landscape.
Speaker 1: Now, that's true. That's very true.
Speaker 2: Well, and you and I got used to that ugliest ugliness nine years ago, and so it's not.
Speaker 1: Was it not ten years ago, gosh, eleven years ago in your case, I don't know. I mean you were there as an embed at the very.
Speaker 2: Beginning, and we all, I mean it was like, we went to these rallies with ten twenty thousand people screaming crazy stuff at us, and so we kind of all get used to it, and maybe we normalize it a little bit.
Speaker 1: But it shouldn't be normalized. This should not be normal and then I'll move on to something else.
Speaker 5: But I think I think we're in the place where it's like, if that's not the thing that's being normalized, then something else is. And like there's only so much oxygen to call out the abnormalities.
Speaker 4: So it's like, what do.
Speaker 2: You I don't know, Ali, what do you think about these midterm primaries? I guess there are some happening in Florida today. The Wall Street Journal, speaking of all the messiness in the news, The Wall Street Journal had an interesting story that basically said, you know, messy midterms. A pile up of sexual misconduct cases in front of the House Ethics Committee is casting more uncertainty of there's several races in the run up to midterms. Corey Mills of Florida, Max Miller of Ohio both under investigation.
Speaker 1: Chuck Edwards ended his bid after a pro was announced.
Speaker 2: The Panels also investigating Jimmy Gomez, California Democrat. In that case, obviously everybody is innocent, so otherwise and all those caveats and so on, But it really is changing the dynamic of these midterms.
Speaker 5: It changes the dynamics of the midterms because even just take two of the cases that you're talking about, right, Corey Mills is facing a prime challenger down in Florida's seventh district, and we'll see if he makes it out. Hasn't been a particularly favorable season two incumbents on both sides of the aisle. And then in Max Miller's case, I mean, he's a stubborn man and he has vehemently denied the allegations against him, and we're going to see what ultimately happens. But it is a mess, and Democratic groups are taking advantage of the fact that it is a mess, and that Republicans are uncomfortable having to defend this person as one of their own in a seat that like kind of teeters on the edge of being purpleish, like it is red, but enough of a controversy could make this gettable, especially in a year that has a wave.
Speaker 4: And so you go from having a seat that shouldn't be a problem and.
Speaker 5: Shouldn't be talked about to now because of one person saying I'm not getting out of the race, the party now has a problem where I'm not someone who thinks that this is a year that is traded of like twenty thirty forty seats, Like you just don't have that many swing seats anymore. But like he is putting one more in play and should have to be in play.
Speaker 4: Theoretically for Republicans.
Speaker 5: And so that's just one, I mean, like put it on top of the pile because they have other more fundamental problems, but like that is one of them. So we'll see what happens in Florida. I think that's going to be an interesting race. It could solve a Republican problem for them if he loses Corey Mills in that primary.
Speaker 4: But we'll see.
Speaker 2: Well, and you said something very interesting there. You are you saying that you don't think that and I know you're not saying this absolutely certainty, we can't do that anymore in this day and age, but that we may not see a massive wave election this time around because of what because of redistricting, because of all of that. Larry Sabata was telling me this something similar to the other day, that you know, because of the redistricting, we may not see as large of a wave as we might have otherwise.
Speaker 1: How do you see it shaping up?
Speaker 5: I just think we see a consistently shrinking swing and there are I don't know if it's seventeen or eighteen. Everyone has their different counts, the parties have their own counts, but it's like seventeen or eighteen per seats. And I think a lot of the redistricting in places like Texas or even in places like Florida, like we'll see how red they actually made those seats, because I'm not sure that they did themselves every favor. They helped themselves Republicans, but like, I don't think they like sealed the ballgame because I don't think it's going to be as predictable of a wave or of a year as we think.
Speaker 4: But I still don't believe that.
Speaker 5: You know, if Democrats take the House back, that they're going to be doing it with a fifteen seat cushion and Frankly, sources that I talk to among senior congressional Democrats don't think that either, Like it is just a reality of covering Congress and of covering campaigns, that you were just dealing with thin margins and that's why, you know. I have people say to me a lot, like why do you pay so much attention to the one or two Democratic socialists selected in places like New York?
Speaker 4: Like who cares? It doesn't matter?
Speaker 5: It's like, well it does when your caucus can only afford to lose three or four votes. And we're watching it play out with Republicans right now, like they have guinea pigs this and it's gonna happen for Democrats if not this cycle, then we'll see what comes next, right.
Speaker 1: I mean interesting, it's always she.
Speaker 4: Was always on the other foot, And.
Speaker 1: Do you think that?
Speaker 2: And we should note everybody Ali is the host of Way too Early on the MS now but also congressional correspondent up on Capitol Hills. So does an amazing job. And I don't know how you are awake right now. I'll have to send you like some kind of snack or something later to thank you for this, But how I haven't done a whole lot on the on the on the DSA factor in all of this. My sense of it has been is that, Okay, you have a couple of candidates here and there, and but they may wait, they may win democratic districts anyway.
Speaker 1: Is that the case?
Speaker 2: Or could there be a seat that is lost because a DSA candidate was there and not an establishment candidate who might have held a purple kind of seat.
Speaker 4: Well, actually that might bring us to Florida, right because.
Speaker 5: Jaredkowitz is going up against a DSA candidate, and I think the prevailing wisdom there is that if Moskowitz loses the primary, then it might be a tougher seat, and so that could be an instance. But generally you're right.
Speaker 4: It's like predictive seats.
Speaker 5: But I think for Democrats who are focusing on this, like, yeah, the governing perspective is one part of it, but I also think that they just have to play the game of addition, Like I recognize that it's important to have a north star, and it is a party that is searching for what that is right now, and everyone's looking for what's instructive for the Democratic round of presidential candidates, but for Congress they just have to grow their numbers.
Speaker 4: And Kate Conley.
Speaker 5: Could maybe win in New York seventeen and Daria Lisa could maybe win in the Harlem area of New York. And those two candidates would lose if they were in each other's districts, right, And Kate Conley's in a really tough seat, and we don't know she'll beat Mike Lawler. But like that's even just one example in the same state, Like you pick the candidate for the district, and that's just what it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's really And the other thing too, is these Senate races are becoming much more unpredictable than I I think a lot of people expected like that, I mean Shared Brown.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Again, I don't know whether to believe these polls anymore because of what happened in Wisconsin. The Francesca hank Canon ended up.
Speaker 4: Did you see now? The polling firm was like, we're shutting it down.
Speaker 1: I saw that. I saw that.
Speaker 2: But Shared Brown is apparently ahead and his Senate race, that's wild, and so Democrats may make gains and places like Iowa and Ohio and maybe you know, maybe I don't know, Florida could David Jolly win the governor's race. There I saw Fox freaking out over David Jolly. I was like, why is Fox freaking out over David Jolly? That sounds like somebody knows something. So this is a weird year and I don't know what. I don't know if we know what we know at this point.
Speaker 5: I mean, would you have imagined that going into twenty twenty six people would be like, I don't need to talk about Roy Cooper. I don't need to talk about John ass Off, Like Georgia and North Carolina are seats that Democrats are riding in feeling good about.
Speaker 1: That's true, I mean very true.
Speaker 4: And the sight of that too much because that's a good point.
Speaker 1: That's a good point.
Speaker 2: And John Asoff is doing a lot of media, but I think it's not because of twenty twenty six. I just I'm just going to throw that out there as as just an educated guess on my part, But he isn't very as somebody who's been out on the campaign trail in a presidential alley, your thoughts on the John Ossoff moment that we seem to be in right now, As I said at the top of this, and because you're you know, esteamed anchor. You don't have to chuckle up my joke. But he does seem to be playing Trump like a harp these days.
Speaker 5: I mean, yeah, no, he is. And he also has the cadence down right. And you know this because you know what it is to do a weekday show, like you look for the sound from Sundays and his rallies come on Sundays, and like that hasn't been lost on me either, So like he understands his media ecosystems as well. But I but also give him, Let's give him the credit of a message with deeper resonance of the Epstein class and a corrupt system that doesn't work except for those at the top.
Speaker 4: I mean, other candidates have used that messaging.
Speaker 5: I covered the Warring campaign that was like almost verbatim the way that she would talk about it, not the Epstein class, but a system that works for the wealthy and well connected.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: So the fact that that's the underpinning of his message and is being echoed other places, I think says a lot about the way he's been able to tap into the pulse of Georgia voters. But I think about assof also the way I think about Warnock, which is like a little bit of three D elective chess, because I think it becomes difficult if Keisha lance Bottom doesn't win that governor's race for Democrats to say like, yeah, like let's take one of these kind of unicorn Democrats who won in Georgia and like take him out.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I just I think that there's a little bit of elective chess beyond it too, that I think about a lot.
Speaker 1: That's a good point.
Speaker 2: And before you go, I want to show your book because you did such an amazing job with this book Electable.
Speaker 1: I have it, folks. If you don't have.
Speaker 2: It, it's a you know it's still highly relevant. Why America hasn't put it white House? I know it's true. And I want to say, finally before you go, that one of the things I don't like to hear this is me personally on my soapbox. I don't like to hear that Pee Buddha Jete can't become president because he's gay.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: I just personally think that that's wrong because I covered Barack Obama and people are like, there's no way he's.
Speaker 1: Gonna be president, and became president and he won handily.
Speaker 2: And I also think that it's wrong to say a woman can't become president and that we have to that Democrats have to run a white man next time around. I don't think that that's the case. I think a woman could win next time around and be the antidote to Trump. Is that am I smoking something that I should probably stop smoking ally?
Speaker 1: Or what are your thoughts since you wrote I'll.
Speaker 4: Smoke it with you?
Speaker 5: Like I always want to live in a world where women can win and voters can evaluate them. And I think the premise of the book, which remains true, is like candidates are electable if you vote for them, and just because you haven't seen it before doesn't mean that it can't happen, but it does mean that if you are those candidates, you're strategizing around something we call the amata genation barrier, which is like, if you're a white man running for something, people can picture you doing it because white men have done everything. But if you are a woman trying to be president or an openly gay man trying to be president, to carry your example, people just haven't seen that, and so they're forced to like grapple with the imagination of it, while also saying, well, do I think this person would be good at that job and they're electable if you vote for them. That is I think something Democrats are going to have to grapple with among themselves in twenty twenty eight, because yeah, it's a lot of white men who want that job right now.
Speaker 1: There, It's very true.
Speaker 2: But I still think that the candidate that emerges ultimately for the Democrats in twenty twenty it may not be somebody we're talking about right now, and you just we don't know what we don't know, and these things can change very quickly. But Ali, I made a promise because you go to bed soon because you have to get up, as you say, way too early, and I don't want to violate that and get in a lot of trouble next time I see it.
Speaker 5: So there will be no trouble. And I will always stay awake late for you in four thirty.
Speaker 4: Is very late.
Speaker 1: I know it is all right.
Speaker 2: Have a good night if that means five o'clock, six o'clock, that means have a good night.
Speaker 1: But Ali, great to see you.
Speaker 2: Watch MS now every morning when Ali comes on, she's terrific and great to see again. Thanks for coming on.
Speaker 1: Thanks to you, all right, take care? All right?
Speaker 2: That was Ali Vetad, my old campaign buddy. We're out on the campaign trail together back in twenty sixteen, and look at her now, she's doing an amazing job. I do want to say very quickly before I go, I want to say, because I've busted there, but a couple of times the folks over at ABC, thank you, ABC, thank you for suing the FCC.
Speaker 1: And their media henchman Brunn in car.
Speaker 2: I'm showing another CNN person, my old colleague, Brian Stelzer today, so where it's a CNN day on my show. ABC has filed a First Amendment lawsuit against the SEC and DC District Court. The suit says the Trump administration is wage day retaliatory campaign against ABC for a single reason it disapproves of what ABC broadcasts. We should note our friend Rosie O'Donnell is hosting Jimmy Kimmell this week, so they must be really right now over at the SEC and the White House. But this is really important, and the Wall Street Journal in the New York Times, they've all reported on this today and basically what the SEC is trying to do is strip the license broadcast licenses away from ABC. They own and operate eight local stations that carry its programming across the country, including a major markets like New yorick A, LA, and Chicago. And folks need to understand that if the SEC were to somehow strip ABC of these licenses, it would obviously be in direct retaliation of what ABC puts on its programming. You know, Trump doesn't like the view, Trump doesn't like Jimmy Kimmel. Trump sometimes doesn't like ABC News. He goes after Rachel Scott, another female reporter over at the White House. And the long and the short of this is that, you know, ABC, very long time ago, well not so long ago, but right before Trump came back into the White House, right around the time he came back to the Wise, paid that what was essentially a Brian They paid to settle a bullshit lawsuit that trumpet filed against ABC and George Stephanopolis.
Speaker 1: We don't have to go back over all.
Speaker 2: Of that again, but ABC did that at that time to essentially bend the knee to sort of pay an extortion toll on the intimidation racket highway. And you know, thank goodness, ABC is now showing some backbone. Thank goodness, ABC is now showing some real courage as it goes up against the Trump administration. And this is exactly the right thing to do. I've been clamoring for this for the last eighteen months that what the network should be doing, what the White House press scorps should be doing, with the outlets who hire the White House reporters should be doing, is standing up against Donald Trump. It is time for the attax on the press, at tax on individual reporters. The disgusting comments like quiet Piggy going after Jimmy Kimmel because Donald Trump doesn't like jokes that Jimmy Kimmel. I mean, it's too bad that Stephen Colbert was chased off of the Late Show over at CBS.
Speaker 1: I mean, this kind of weaponization of government.
Speaker 2: Let's just call it what it is, and call it what the Trump people screaming about all the time. This weaponization of government to intimidate and silence free speech in this country has to be stopped. And he's not going to stop it on his own and the White House, the people over the White House who act like they're in a cult, they're not going to stop it on their own. I mean, look at what they're doing. They're putting out tweets, going after reporters kids and so. And this is what I've been saying for the last eighteen months is that the only thing that works is collective action.
Speaker 1: The only thing that works is standing up to the bully. And what do bullies do.
Speaker 2: Bullies try to kick.
Speaker 1: You when you're down.
Speaker 2: Bullies try to intimidate you into silence. They try to beat you up at the schoolyard for you lunch money and make it so you don't have to put up a fight the.
Speaker 1: Next number, and you just hand over your lunch money.
Speaker 2: And to go after a White House reporter like Kristen Holmes in this fashion and say someday your children will come across your disgusting, an inhumane question. The only disgusting and inhumane people are the people who run this Rapid Response forty seven account. And I just want to say, shame on all of you, Shame on the people who run that account, Shame on the people who tolerate this bullshit. Susie Wilds, the White House chief of Staff.
Speaker 1: You're okay, You're okay with the people over.
Speaker 2: At Rapid Response forty seven going after reporters kids. Is that what we've come to in this country is that are these the new lows that we're going to set in this country where we're going after people's children for simply asking a question and being loud and boisterous, which she wasn't even doing in the White House. And somehow that's tolerable that the people who run that account should be shitcanned right now. They should be fired right now. They should be given their walk, their their White House passes, their security clearances should be stripped away right now and sent on their way.
Speaker 1: That is what we used to do in Washington, d C.
Speaker 2: When you went after somebody's kids, when you went after somebody's spouse, when you went after somebody's loved ones. And Donald Trump has blown all of that out of the water. And he is the one who goes after Remember, he went after Ted Cruz's wife, he went after Ted Cruz's father. He goes after people's wives, he goes after people's kids, he goes after people's parents, he goes after their spouses, and it goes, it never ends with Donald Trump. He has brought he has tried to bring all of us down to his disgusting, inhumane, and appalling level. And the people who work off at the White House, the people who work on these social media accounts, I guess they've learned.
Speaker 1: From the master.
Speaker 2: They've learned from the sith Lord of put downs and insults. And because some of them are probably not old enough to have mastered personal hygiene in their lives, they're still at that point in their lives they think it's okay as sort of the White House arm fort contingent to level these kinds of personal attacks. And you need to understand it is it's not just beneath the dignity. It's not just debasing the White House and the Office of the Presidency, which of course it is. It is debasing what we think of as common humanity in this country.
Speaker 1: It is setting a new low.
Speaker 2: It is scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to treating each other like human beings in this country. And I, for one, and I know a lot of you are out there are with me. I for one, am not going to sanewash this. I for one am not going to sanitize this, and neither should you. We should all be disgusted and appalled. And I don't know if the White House runs a switchboard anymore. Maybe that's something from a by God era too. But I invite as many of the people who are watching this program on all the platforms who are watching it to crash the White House switchboard. Call the White House I think they still have a switchboard. Crash the switchboard and demand that the little shits over at rapid response forty seven have their little asses fired, and boot it out of the White House because they have no business working for the American people and taking our taxpayer dollars and putting them in their goddamn bank accounts. Because that is no way to treat a person. That is no way to treat a lady. That is no way to treat little kids in this country or any country or ever. Shame on you, Donald Trump, not that you have any shame, Shame on you, Susie Wiles, the White House chief of staff, who tolerates this nonsense on a daily basis. They have a communications director there, Stephen Schump, who says horrible, awful things all the time about people who work at the White House as journalists. He went off on Carol Lenok the other day for accurately reporting on the Air Force one fiasco. He does this all the time. They have staffer after staffer after staffer who they think they are. They're all in a frat house and they think it's okay to treat other human beings in this fashion. And it is just not that way. It is just not that way. And yes, this is their way of sucking up to the dear leader, and this is their way of getting noticed. And the only way you can get noticed in the White House of Donald Trump is if you were a cruel and nasty and mean spirited.
Speaker 1: But it is.
Speaker 2: Beyond the pale that these people still work at the White House after firing off that tweet, after firing off that kind of disgusting an appalling insult at a mother who happens to be a reporter who.
Speaker 1: Works at the White House. Shame on all of you. I want to thank Jonathan, the last of the Bullwork, for joining me today.
Speaker 2: Thanks to Ali Vitally as well. Thanks to all of you for watching. Still reporting from Washington. I'm Jim mccosta. I'll see you next time.