Speaker 1: Next on the drive, Tim McMahon dropping dimes for your NBA Daily Assis.
Speaker 2: Ban McMahon, Van McMahan batted all Land Texas flood as thicke as mud He's and Manvan McMahon Van McMahan, the man.
Speaker 1: Whoa up like it was Christmas morning. Could feel the excitements, wondered why forgot what day it was? Then I realized today is the final of the NBA Cup in Vegas. We go live to Vegas now where our guy Tim McMahon is splitting eights and aces, realizes that two could be the dealers, wild Tim, are we up or down so far in Vegas?
Speaker 3: Oh? We are eating because I have not bet one single nickel on this trip.
Speaker 1: And promise me that you will not. You realize that that is a death sentence at those tables.
Speaker 3: Yes, I am well aware of how all these large casinos have been built.
Speaker 1: Okay, fair enough, fair enough, you're a smart guy. Hey, I'll tell you what we could do worse than this matchup? Right, Bucks thunder tonight to Team Mobile. What do you make of what we could see tonight?
Speaker 3: Yeah, listen, it's funny because both of these franchises are a kind of myth that they were left out of the Christmas Showcase this year, and so here they are. They've got the stage shoot themselves, and you know, these might be the two leading MVP candidates at this point of the season. That's obviously debatable because Jokers is so good. You know, the Nuggets have kind of poked their head above that play in territory that I think he has to be out of to really be Cannon to be MVP again. But obviously shake Gildis Alexander and Jalla Santocupo. These guys are both having unbelievable seasons and the Bucks bad start. They've won twelve or fifteen, and I am really excited to see how Yannis and Dame fair against the defense that is the best in the league by a healthy march by a couple of points fer one hundred possessions.
Speaker 1: So and I want to follow up about Okace in a moment, but just in the space of the NBA Cup, you know, I watched the semi finals and just from a television standpoint, the crowd didn't seem to be all that into it. It looked like a more of like a corporate crowd of sponsors and such and I think tim for this thing to really take, you know, kind of the next step forward. If there was a crowd that felt like there was a lot on the line, that would make a difference. So what's what's the feel like down there? Is there legitimate buzz that this NBA Cup Final is something people are really interested in?
Speaker 3: You know, like, look, they got fortunate last year that the Lakers were in it, and obviously the Lakers in addition to being the most popular NBA franchise, it's a short drive, you know, about a four hour drive to La so it was essentially a Lakers home type of atmosphere last year. That's not the case this year. I would say the crowds have been fine. You know, they were fortunate that the Falcons happened to be playing Monday night football in Vegas, so there were a lot of Atlanta people in town. You know, let's go Hawks type of chance, that sort of thing we're going on. You know, this hasn't It's not like this has been a tough ticket. I'm curious to see what the crowds like tonight. And you know, there is some talk about being a championship game only in Vegas type of thing moving forward where those semi finals will be at home arenas I personally before that, I think in terms of atmosphere, obviously it's a huge difference if you're playing in Oklahoma City or if you're playing in Milwaukee versus a neutral site in Vegas, and I think you're also in that instance. You know, there's more reward for these teams that have earned the top seed through group play. So we'll see if that's something that comes to fruition, but it's at least a conversation.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like kids getting the buy in from the players it needs. Do you feel like these games are competitive and players are showing up and they really care about winning this thing?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I don't here's any question about that, you know, especially as it gets deeper into group play and the players realize, you know, who has a chance to advance, and like, dude, it has been playoff type of intensity in terms of these knockout games. And look, obviously part of that is players want the money, you know, a half million dollar bonus to the players that are winning teams, you know, all those kind of things. But you know, you give these guys something to compete for a title. To compete for midway through the season. It's absolutely adding some juice to it. And I really like the format where everything counts in the regular season as well. It's just you know, extra incentive on top of those games until obviously this game another tweak I would like to see happen, though. I think the winner of the championship. I think the win should count in regular season standings and other or to kind of be like the ultimate tiebreaker where the loss would But I think that would reward, you know, just another reward for franchise that's able to get through this thing and win the title.
Speaker 1: So it's really difficult to from a media standpoint, whether you're a writer or you blab into a microphone or you do a little TV to try to make the jazz interesting. It all this year. But the okay, see thing and look, this is a loose parallel, but Oklahoma City, Like if you don't like Salt Lake, Oklahoma City, if you've ever been there, I'll due respect, I'll take Salt Lake City. So this is a market where we can draw some parallels, respectfully to my friends down and Okay, see, I've been there a couple of times. I'd prefer where I live. But and obviously what Sam Presty has done to make them awesome now and set themselves up to be awesome forever should be celebrated. The Athletic did their you know, Sam Amking, those guys do a great job, and they did the front office Kings and OKC was one. He pulled a bunch of other NBA exacs. So from a market to market standpoint, try to draw some comparison and some hope that maybe the whole market thing is something we can throw out the window because of what Sam has built there. But before we get into what they're doing this year, what do you make of the way Sam Pressing that front office have gone about building this thing up to be awesome now and in a position to be great for a long time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean looks it's been a very patient rebuild. And obviously they were able to stockpile picks and they still have just a massive stockpile, and I think you'll continue to see them trading quality for potential quality down the road, you know, to keep that pipeline coming. You know, they also got extremely fortunate. It's the only time in NBA history that a team was able to essentially trade the rights of a future Hall of Famer without ever having that guy in the roster. And I'm talking about Kawhi Leonard. Of course, like that Paul George trade, Paul George had a ton of value by himself at that point. I mean, he was I think third and MVP voting that previous year, and you know, an All NBA player. But the reason they were able to get so much from the Clippers is because they were essentially saying, hey, we'll help deliver Kawhi Leonard to you. They're in LA with this Paul George deal, and he gets Shaye Gilds Alexander from that, and then you know, the picks are like Jalen wore, they didn't think they were going to get a lot of kick that early out of that deal, but they did. That's Jaylen Williams, a bona fide co star on a team that was number one seat in the Western Conference last year. You know they might get another lottery pick or two out of that deal. So I mean, what a foundation to start from. Yeah, and look the Jazz, they don't have a Shane Gildas Alexander type of talent on the roster. It's gonna be hard to get that type of talent. But you know, having Sta and Sja developing into an MVP Canada, that's what really accelerated to rebuild as much as anything Proclahoma City.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well said, because while I tried to do the parallels between teams that I've been rebuilding and now have a little bit of hope, because the Jazz are rebuilding with very little hope, and it's a fan base that's pretty bummed out. Like Orlando has Polo right and OKAC has Shay and and the Jazz have Lowry and Lowry's very very good. But until you get that guy, it's hard to see the forest through the trees. But let's go back to Okasee about what stands out most to you. We had Tom Habersha on yesterday and I watched the OKC Jazz game about I think you were maybe you were there if I remember correctly, And I haven't seen every single game they play, but every time I dial in on them, I keep using this parallel. They're like safeties in football on defense, they're ballhawks. There's no room and so you know, ultimately I feel like they have separated themselves a bit in the West. But what do you like most about this group that we have in front of us, Even without Chet and without Hartenstein at the beginning, they've just been the best team in the West. I don't think there's any argument there.
Speaker 3: They are seventeen and two and they have a seven foot are available to the entire game. Three of their losses came during that little you know. One was the game Sht got hurt, which was he played like five minutes and change in that game. Then they lost two more games during that little stretch where Chet was out and Hartstein hadn't fully recovered from the broken hand yet. But they've got a big mander seventeen and two. This is you know, this team is. It's an awesome team. And again we start with the fact they've got a bona fide MVP cannon. Maybe the MVP favorite at this morning in shaeis Alexander. But they are loaded. They are loaded with depth, and they are loaded with two way talents. There are no weak points to attack defensively. Yeah, look, they have maybe I would say three of what the top ten premer defenders in the league. Like lou Dort. The fact he has not been all defensive team yet is insane. It's ridiculous. It's honestly, it's since for the voters, he's he's one of the best stoppers in the league. You know what Caruso is and yeah, you mentioned a ball hawk, right, he is elite that regard Cason Wallace, he is the best defender that people don't really know about. You're starting to learn about him. And then you know Jalen Williams, you guys averaging two steals a game. He you know, he doesn't have to take one of the top two or three toughest defensive assignments anymore, but he's capable of that. It's just as you said, they are so good defensively, not just getting stops, but getting turnovers that turn into offense. And then you know they have a guy who's going to average thirty points efficiently to run the show on the other end.
Speaker 1: So a thought on tonight, and ultimately, as you referenced, Milwaukee's really turned it around after a rough start. I know Middleton at last check was game time. Maybe you have information as to whether or not he's going to play. Of course, he means a lot to them. He's always been one of the more underrated, really good players in pro basketball. Guy that went for a forty piece in the NBA Finals. We're big game fans around here, so excited to see them turn it around. What do these two teams do well and what do you make of this matchup? Okase is a five point five point favorite.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean okay See again. Defensively one of the most dominant defenses we've seen in recent NBA history. Shay is just smooth as could be. He's going to get his thirty. You know, Jalen Williams a legitimate All Star type of talent. But still the one, you know, potential flaw for the Sokse team is they're still pretty small. You know, with Hart and Stein that helps. He's not just a double double guy, but a dozen guys doesn't points a dozen rebounds. But like last year, and Mark Bagnall mentioned this, they were physically mold is the way he put it. When they went to Milwaukee to play against the Bucks. And then Gianna's had thirty and nineteen in that game. And you know, Okaysee's not unique in this regard, but they don't have a great matchup for Yannis. It's obviously gonna have to be a team thing. But if Wawawk's gonna win this game, I think it's because Janni's just has the kind of performance of reminds you that's the three times MVP, a Finals MVP, and a guy who still has a chance to add to that trophy plex.
Speaker 1: Malik mcmannimon is announcing that Chris Middleton is doubtful for the NBA Cup. Is that yeah? She just tweeted out NBA Cup Final against Oklahoma City Middleton is doubtful tonight. So that's out there as well. Have has Milwaukee's recent resurgence rethought your place in the East at all with them?
Speaker 3: Listen, they have a chance because they have such a you know, such a big time star duo. I think it's pretty apparent and obvious to say that everybody in the East, and he really had bring the league's chasing the Boston Celtics, and I know Cleveland's gotten off to an amazing start. I would be surprised if somebody other than the Celtics came out of East Conference. Milwaukee is one of the team that you give a puncher's chance. But if the Celtics are healthy that you know, don't I don't think last year's title will be the only one that that group wins. Something like that.
Speaker 1: I agree with you there have you seen it now from OKC to feel like the narrative in the West should be the same as it is in the East. Everybody is really chasing one team.
Speaker 3: Well, I would say that I'm not going to go that far simply because they haven't done it yet. Right, the Celtics have done it. They've come, They've won the East twice in the last few years, they've won a championship. You know this Oklahoma City squad. Last year's was the first taste of the playoffs. They got knocked out by the Mavericks. So Oklahoma City is the most talent team. Talented team is the best team. But I don't think you can say everybody's chasing the Thunder when the Thunder haven't won to get the Thunder or you know, they're chasing getting out of the West for the first time. I think they're the best team. I think the Matis are the second best team. I think we'll have a little red river Western Conference finals and you know, you the center of established themselves in the favorite. But I promise you it is you know the guys in the Maveris locker room, they're not looking at it as they're chasing Oklahoma City. They're looking as Oklahoma City is trying to take their West title.
Speaker 1: Away from I have nothing interesting to ask you about the Jazz, So I was thinking about this when I saw you on the rundown today. Here's what I'll ask. I mean, you're the guy for this franchise from the national big picture perspective, and I know that you're a pro at creating relationships, and you know the guys down there, and you know Xanak, and I know you know Will, and I'm just wondering if you've had any conversations with them because because look, it doesn't make for great sports soccer radio. Here's the deal, Like, they're well aware of what they're doing, and you know, there's nothing I can say that they don't know. They know that they're not in a good place, and I can't imagine the frustration for Will as a competitor. Night in the night out, I'm watching that Clipper game last night. It didn't then look like two pro teams. It was unfair and the Clippers are just average. They're without most of their you know, some of their better, better talent. But what are the nature of the conversations you have with jazz brass front office, ownership, coaches, and is this just pain tolerance and we're going to suck it up and a long game type thing like illuminate us a little bit on some intel if you have any.
Speaker 3: I mean, they have to play the long game. And and you know, last the last couple of years, if we're being honest, they're too competitive for their own good. And then you know they kind of pull the plug come trade deadline and you end up mid to late lottery picks, Like this team needs at least one high lottery tick, if not a couple, uh to to really provide the foundation to get back to where they want to be. And you know, they knew going in this season this was going to be a long, painful, miserable season and they just had to have that level of pain tolerance, you know. And it's not fun now, you know. And it's this Will Hardy I think has proven if you give him pieces, he can he can win games. Right. This is a completely different kind of challenge. Because player development it can be used as a euphemism for talent but they are legitimately trying to develop, slash evaluate the young talent on the roster. And when you know it's going to be this sort of a season where, if we're being just blunt about as the primary goal is, you end up with a golden lottery, take it out of this deal. You don't want bad habits to creep in. You don't want young players to accept, you know, losing and have that lose and mentality creep in. And that's a really tough challenge I think for a coach in this situation.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna ask you, point blank a question I was asked on a show I did a week ago for my buddy who does a nick podcast. When the Jazz are good again, When the Jazz are good again and not just thirty five wins, when they're one of the teams in the West that is throwing punches, Who on this roster is on that team?
Speaker 3: I mean, listen, there's no guarantees. First of all, because there's not an untouchable on the roster. Obviously, Larry Markin is not being traded this year and they see him as a major piece. But when this thing turns around, but there's no guarantee there, and you know, something could come up where it makes sense to move him once he's allowed to be traded again, I would say the same thing about Walker Kessler. You asked me, who are the guys who are most likely? I would start with those two. You know, I think Cody Williams is going to end up being a good NBA player. Obviously he's not anywhere near that right now, but you know, I was talking to somebody in the Hawks fit office this week when they're in Vegas, and they mentioned that he was one of the four guys as they were really evaluating as a potential number one pick. They knew it was going to be a three or four year process Foray develop but they felt like he had the talent to Podisi end up being the best player in this class. So you know, it's again I would say Mark, then I would say Kessler, and I would say we'll see, but I think some of these young guys are gonna end up beating baughdy NBA players.
Speaker 1: All right, before I say you loose, you know, this is the time of year. After that deadline comes and goes, Now about eighty seven percent of the league can be traded and The one name that has surfaced is Jimmy Butler, who could actually make a difference. And you know, Shams your guy over at ESPN taken over for woj. He he did float out the scenario of Phoenix kicking the tires there. And I'll tell you what, Tim, I went to the Jazz Suns game last Friday, and it was never it was never really in doubt, But there is a little there's something with the Suns that I think they could utilize somebody with the bite like Jimmy Butler has. When Jimmy's head is right and obviously brad Biel can't stay healthy. I feel like if Phoenix goes all in on making the Butler move, that's something that could change things out this way. Any intel as to whether or not that's a real possibility, and if not, where do you think Jimmy goes Well?
Speaker 3: The problem is Number one, Brady Deal has got a no trade clause, and I think he would wave that to go to Miami. But Miami, I cannot see the Miami Heat trading for Bradley Deal with that no trade clause intact. I think he would wave it to go to Miami. I don't think he would wave it on a permanent basis, you know, just like he was able to hold onto that when he accepted the trade to Phoenix. And frankly, look, if Miami wanted to deal that badly, they would have got him the first time around when it was known that that was his preferred destination. And if Miami is going to commit one hundred and ten million dollars to a thirty something year old player over the next couple of years, I think they would have just signed Jimmy to an extension. So I think that deal absolutely would make sense from the Sun's perspective. I just don't think Miami fight on it for you know, the variety of reasons. If you if you had me guess the most likely destination, I would still say the Golden States. You know they've got obviously, you know, they've been got a big game hunt for a little while. They were trying to talk about marking in the Paul George thing over the summer, you know, so that would be the most likely. As far as Houston, the Rockets front office has been very adamant they're not looking to get a mid thirties guy. They're looking to let it play out this year, and if they add somebody it's a star in his twenties to start earlier, entering his prime, you know, things could change, But that one would surprise me.
Speaker 1: And then you know.
Speaker 3: Dallas that I would be just shocked by that they'd have to give up half of their rotation and then commit to having Jimmy making fifty plus mil next year going forward as well as Kyrie and Luca. That's going to be enough to build out a championship caliber supporting cast around that.
Speaker 1: You had to put the Tim mcman paycheck on one jazz player getting moved prior to the deadline. Who is that player and why?
Speaker 3: First, well, I would never put if I'm not going to put a nickel down in Vegas, I'm not going to put my paycheck on somebody getting traded. I'll put it to you like that. You know, Jordan Clarkston Collin Sexton would be the two, you know, bucket getters that I think could help bid teams. And then you know, obviously there's a possibility with John Collins. I still think the fact he's making twenty five mil next year makes that a little bit more difficult, but he's obviously had a very efficient season this year to uh, you know, maybe maybe there's a team that would be willing to bite on him.
Speaker 1: All right, Tim, we'll set you loose. Enjoy that game tonight. Thanks for the time, buddy. We'll chat to him all right. Appreciate you, brother, Hight Great Tim mcman the NBA Cup finalist tonight. How many of how many of our listeners do you think knew even knew that when they woke up today was the final of the Emirates NB Cup? All of them? Very few? You're big in the NBA. In the NBA's few. Yeah, it's it's just I was thinking about this doing the prep this morning. Did you watch any of the Jazz Clippers game last night? A little bit? It was? It was on.
Speaker 4: It was a joke, I should say it was on the TV.
Speaker 1: I turned it off at halftime. I never turned Jazz games off, like James Harden got whatever, and it's James Harden. It goes back to Will's press conference after the Laker game when Dalton connect hit eight threes. He's like, yeah, everyone in the arena knew that Dalden was about to shoot the three, except for the players that apparently were playing for the team, play a little defense, try try, try do something like I'm watching them yelling at the TV, like take away his airspace, like get up into him, make it uncomfortable. They were warm up practice walk in off the dribble or off the catch threes for James Harden, who I believe is second all time in three point shots, made like I'm not a hardened guy, but know the personnel a little bit.
Speaker 4: Did you ever hear before Kobe passed away, like pretty close before he passed away him talking about accidental basketball?
Speaker 1: Yes, well here we are. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's uh, it's tough, man. I mean it's funny because I try to look at these teams in order to do the show and cover the Jazz and cover the league. I look at teams like Orlando. I look at teams like Oklahoma City. I look at teams like Houston, who not too long ago, we're kind of in this same area where the Jazz are at. Houston's an interesting one because you know Orlando as Apollo, who's awesome. Of course, OKC has Shay who might be the MVP. Who is Houston's best player? Sheng Goon, Jalen Green van Vliet, Like they don't have a franchise changing all star piece either, and they're probably two or three steps out against the jazz. They're just I don't know. This is covering the jazz this year has been a challenge that I don't think I've had in eighteen years covering the jazz in this market.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm probably higher on Shangoon. I don't know, he's like a superstar. But that's a really good piece going forward though. Yeah, you're you're not wrong. It's it's tough to to really dial into when there's just not much to cover. There's not not even many storylines to to look at, right, you know, you can watch the jazz to see like what Will Hardy's going to dial up on the out of bounds. You can get like a good feel of maybe his scheme, his plays outside of that man, Yeah, that's that's. That's about it as far as a storyline watching. When it comes to jazz line, I.
Speaker 1: Want to inject truth serum into two people in the jazz front office and sit down with them for a half hour. Yes truth serum, Yes that legal. Well it's not it's not like this would happen, but I would like to do this with two people in the jazz front office, who do you think it is? Will's not the front office, right, so now Will's one of them?
Speaker 3: Will?
Speaker 1: Will is one of them? Will one of them?
Speaker 4: I'm gonna say, Xanik.
Speaker 1: Danik, it's those two. I want to sit down with Will hard Party and Justin Zana can be like, guys, let's talk it out. How you feeling? Yeah, because I honestly think those two have a little bit of a different how do I tiptoe my way around here? I think Will and Justin have a little bit of a more direct, authentic side of them then maybe some of the other folk. And you know, when you utilize your charisma and your competitiveness to make sure that you're building something great or if you just want a golf I'm not sure how dialed into the whole, like just how hard this is for some people, but I think Will and Justin would have a very unique perspective on this. If you could get them in a very honest moment, you're probably right.
Speaker 4: And you know, any coach in any GM type role where your job is to win and your current job description is not really to do that, man, it's gotta be tough. It's got to be so conflicting, and I wonder, Spence, how you manage relationships, how you manage like a day to day.
Speaker 3: Vibe.
Speaker 4: When that's the case, it's gotta be tough. And the jazz are dealing with that right now. And and uh yeah, truth herem would be fun. But I don't know where that.
Speaker 1: Is until we can get the truths. And we're gonna have to rely on a mix of charisma, competitiveness, love of sport and unrelenting persistence. The d News wrote that and sent it to ESPN. It is wild. It's uh, it's a lot. It is a lot.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I'm not usually with the youngs with their sayings, but that one works here.
Speaker 4: It's a lot. You can read it. It's a lot extra, it's there's there's plenty there.
Speaker 1: Spence, no cap all right, we'll catch you quick break. Tim McMahon NBA Daily assist Out brought to you by About Time Pub, Utah's premier sports bar. Amazing food and killer cocktails make boud Time your place for sports or even brunch. Shall food is made from scratch and they've got new mocktails for those of you who don't partake in alcohol, more TVs than tables. All bout Time TVs have their own receiver, so we're gonna have all the games going live free, high free, high speed Wi Fi makes it a great place to quote work from home. Keep a bowd time in mind for all of your holiday parties this Christmas season. Their locations are in Ogden, Late and West Valley, West Jordan, Sandy, Tuilla, Harriman, Bluffdale, Lehigh and Vineyard, Utah. Sports bars celebrating the fifteen year anniversary in house smoked wings, fresh made from scratch food, brunch availables on the weekends from ten am to two pm, including a build your own Bloody Mary bar. They have every UFC event without a cover charge. They're your home for every sport, college and pro. More information on a lot at bout timepub dot com.