Speaker 1: One thing about this gene is the invisible and tangibles that they have.
Speaker 2: This team is really becoming a family.
Speaker 1: Let's not play one on Tom. Let's I love writing me.
Speaker 3: These guys out to the show, So just thank.
Speaker 4: You give me are your attention, your fire and not a pisson.
Speaker 3: This is world champion, Dodger world championing for a small.
Speaker 5: Soft time they get up people what they want to.
Speaker 4: Die to in a row two is special. I'm like, yeah, it's not a headache as one of a con. This ball's gone. You ready to go?
Speaker 5: Hell time?
Speaker 3: Go to the sound grab your phone to get in on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seven and go to the show. And now your host of Dodger Talk, David Vasse.
Speaker 4: Welcome to Dodger Talk. David vass with you until eleven o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. The Dodgers fall to the Giants tonight if by a final score of six to two, we have a great show for you tonight. Despite the Dodgers losing the first game against the Giants. You'll hear from Blake Trinan, who is making his way back from a shoulder injury. You'll also get an update on Blake Snell and Tyler Glass now and also as far as image Shean goes, we also have an update on that. Jose Moto will check in as well. But as far as tonight's game goes, I was curious about this Giant's magic. I was wondering, how are they coming into the game tonight, just the game back of the Dodgers in the NL West. And you look at it, you examine it, and you realize that their pitching has been excellent this year, overall, the second best staff era in baseball. And it gets even better when they go to their bullpen. Their bullpen is the best in baseball with the lowest ELRA two fifty one. They have held opponents to the lowest batting average two oh five, and they have given up the least amount of home runs of any bullpen in baseball sixteen. Just to put that in context, the Dodger bullpen has given up thirty seven home runs this year. So they got a great start from Logan Web seven strong innings, allowed just two hits, one of them a solo home run to ta Oscar Hernandez. Who oh, by the way, had the only two hits the Dodgers collected tonight. The rest of the team a combined ZHO for twenty four. What this tells me is, and I got something else to back this up. The Giants are coming to La to prove they belong, to prove that, yes, we are for real. The Dodgers are the defending champions. They're at the very top of the mountain. We all know how how much talent they have. We all know how much teams envy them. The Giants, who have had a horrible last few years after twenty twenty one, all of a sudden now believe they belong in the NL West, and they came to Dodgers Stadium tonight wanting to prove it. The Dodgers are the measuring stick. The Giants wanted to show the Dodgers that we're not going away and we belong on the same field with you, to prove that. Just to put it in context, tonight's starter, Logan Webb, he had only hit ninety five miles an hour on his fastball four times in his past fourteen starts. Tonight he hit ninety five three different times. He almost equaled the amount of times he maxed out on his fastball in this game tonight. That just shows you how badly the Giants want to prove that they belong with the Dodgers. I'm still not buying it, but I'm the same guy that predicted a serious sweep and now I owe Pepe and Ningez in the Spanish booth tacos before the home stand is over. So I'm that guy. But the Dodger offense just was nonexistent. Yamamoto a poor performance tonight. We all thought he was gonna go toe to toe and out pitch Logan Webb. It could be further from the truth. After what happened tonight. Yamamoto one hundred and two pitches gave up five earned runs, including a grand slam to Casey Schmidt. Casey Schmidt's the same guy that is taking over third base from Matt Chapman after Matt Chapman injured his right hand and is out for a month. Casey Schmidt is the same guy that made a very costly aira yesterday that cost the Giants the game, and tonight he comes back and hits a ninety five fastball for a four hundred and twenty three foot grand slam. The first of his career. You have to wonder as well that third inning. By the way, I'm giving this win to Adam Beck. Adam Beck deserves a huge assist for the Giants winning this game and scoring five runs in that third inning. Both sides were not happy with the home played umpire tonight. It wasn't just the Dodgers Logan Webb was not happy with him. Beck seemed to settle down as the game went on. It seemed like Beck, you know, got a little nervous Dodgers Giants. He's only been a full time umpire since twenty twenty three, but he settled in. But in that third inning, he was calling pitches that were strikes balls. He was calling ball strikes on both sides, and I wonder if that shook Yamamoto and the guys on sports Net La Jerry Harriston and No mar Garciapara kind of suggested as well that maybe, just maybe Yamamoto also is tipping pitches, which he is no stranger to doing, considering last year he got a bigger glove because he felt like he was tipping. So all of those things baked into one inning led to three walks and a grand Slam and the Giants beating the Dodgers tonight six to two. But I'm not freaking out, so you don't freak out either. I got the Dodgers in the next two games. Kershaw. I know he has the best era of any pitcher up there in San Francisco, but he's pretty good here at Dodgers Stadium as well. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Mission Viejo. Bill, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Bill?
Speaker 1: Pretty good?
Speaker 6: Thanks for taking my call. So let's see. You got the backup third basement for the Giants. So who's only had two home runs all year including this one? And then you've got a catcher in the ninth position that hits a home run and they accounted for like eighty percent of the Giants runs tonight. So yeah, I don't think that this is kind of more fluky than it's regular, you know.
Speaker 4: I guess, so, I guess. So, I mean, I'm still not sold. If the Giants can continue to pitch this way, I mean, tip of the cap to them. I would love to see whether or not they can keep this going all season long. But we are halfway through June and they are now tied with the Dodgers for first place in the NL West forty one twenty nine. Let's see if they can keep this going. I'm still not sold. Let's go out to Salt Lake City. Dawson. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Dawson.
Speaker 1: I'm doing good, David ru I'm doing great.
Speaker 4: Listening on the iHeartRadio app out there, Dawson.
Speaker 2: I am, Yeah.
Speaker 7: All the boy from Utah?
Speaker 4: All right? Love it? What do you have on tonight's game? Are you freaking out or are you staying calm like I am.
Speaker 8: I'm staying calm. I have us in the next two games as well. I just wanted to talk about them. But yeah, you can't blame him, though.
Speaker 4: I can't blame him. I am blaming Yes, I can blame him, and I will blame him.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 8: I think it went both ways with Web as well, But either way, the momentum.
Speaker 4: Doesn't make it right. Hey anyway, Dawson, I'll say this, you listen to the show a lot. I assume, right if you're calling you from Salt Lake City, so you know I'm not that guy that when the Dodgers lose or things don't go their way. I'm not pointing the finger at the umpires. I have a lot of respect for the umpires. In fact, I love umpires. I love them even more after Jim Wolfe told me I look great and younger than my age the other day in Saint Louis, So I'm a big umpire guy. We have Brian Gorman on the pregame show last Home Stand as well. Phil Cuzy, I've had him on the show, so you know, I'm pro umpire and I don't point the finger at them for Dodger losses. But that third inning was egregious.
Speaker 8: I agree, I agree, I take it back for sure. But yeah, the moment, okay, I just feel like we didn't have any momentum. Chaosta provided the energy. But I really loved Robki Robleski in the emotion. He showed I think five strikeouts now walk that looked a lot different, and I think that's what he's had as of late.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Robleski was good tonight. He basically kept the score where it was. He did give up a solo home run to Andrew Kinsner. Andy Paez, by the way, made a great effort, but just was out of his reach. But yeah, Robleski was great tonight four and a third innings, only gave up that solo home run to Kinsner, And you know, I'm not opposed to keeping a long guy in the bullpen. Robleski forced five strikeouts, no walks. That's what he's got to do. And the Dodgers have been holding him since that middle game in San Diego because they started Ben Casparius in that game. It was close, so they went to the high leverage relievers held Robleski back for the next time. Things may have got a little bit out of hand as far as them not having the lead and being down by four runs. You gotta have pictures that can come in in those situations. You can't run out Kopek and Yates and Tanner, Scott and Vesia when you're down four runs, if you're going to use them when you're up three runs. That's just not how it works. And that's the reason why I was surprised by the Padres just running out their high leverage relievers in that series, even when they were down or they were tied tied at home. I can understand, but they were down in that final game, and they're running out guys like Jason Adam. That was surprising and is not sustainable. Adrian Morohane another one of their guys. So I'm still not sold the Padres and Giants can keep this going throughout the year. And Ken Rosenthal, who was on the show yesterday, one of the best insiders in baseball, said Buster Posey's gonna go for it. If they're in it, if they're close, he's going for it. He's gonna go for the top of the market players to try to push the Dodgers and at the very least get in as a wildcard. Eight six sixne eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers fall to the Giants tonight, six to two. Let's go out to Matt in Thousand Oaks. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 7: Matt, Hey, David, how's it going, Man?
Speaker 4: I don't like losing to the Giants, and I don't like how they're not you know, they're finding weird ways to win games.
Speaker 7: It's kind of like they were in twenty one play out.
Speaker 4: That's what I don't like.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, I was going to talk about justin Robski, but I think you guys covered it.
Speaker 4: We'll go ahead, sing Us praises.
Speaker 7: I think I mean, obviously, to point out the obvious, we have probably a record amount of pitching on the injured list. I think it's just, all in all pretty impressive that we're still at the top of the division and looking forward to hearing those updates on the pitchers and hoping to get them back and you know, start winning some games consistently and with a full, full rotation.
Speaker 4: I love it, all right, Well, that's a great segue, because I will I will give you an update on that. We'll take a time out here on Dodgery Talk, and when we continue, you'll hear from Blake Trning. We'll give you an update on what happened today with Blake Snell and Tyler Glass. Now, plus you'll hear from Ben Casparraus, who is transitioning back to being a starter. He was our guest on pregame show as well. And you also hear from Jose Modo. Jose will check in live after the Dodgers fall to the Giants tonight six to two on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 5: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy LA sports dot com and on the iHeartRadio app. Back to more Dodger talk with Dodger insider David Vasse to.
Speaker 9: The Oscar litz Ball high and deep to right failed this one headed back to the wall. Gone a harder on tay Oscar Hernandez. It's five to two as tay Oscar Rich's well home run of the season.
Speaker 4: Ti Oscar Hernandez never gives up on any game. Tonight, ti Oscar had all two hits for the Dodgers. That's right, ta Oscar Hernandez two for three, including that it's solo home run in the seventh inning off a Logan web. The rest of the Dodger lineup but combined zero for twenty four as the Giants defeat the Dodgers tonight by a final score of six to two. Daniels Jewelers they present the home run forecast. Go to AM five to seventy LA sports dot Com. Use the keyword home run for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jewelers give card predicting the number of home runs in the next game. Daniels Jewelers own the Dream eight sixty six nine to eighty seven. Two five seventy is the phone number. We do have an update on three key pitchers for the Dodgers. Tyler Glass now, who's been out with some shoulder discomfort. Actually, when I got here at Dodgers Stadium was throwing to hitters. He simulated one inning, So I know it's uh, it's not huge news, but it's a significant step in the right direction. And look, he's basically where a pitcher would be the first couple of weeks of spring training, so and that means he probably is not going to be ready to pitch in a game for the next three or four weeks, which would take you up close to the All Star break. Maybe he makes a start before the break. We'll have to wait and see. A guy that's a little bit behind Glass now is our guy, Blake Snell Bobblehead Night on Monday. By the way, Blake Snell threw a twenty pitch bullpen session today. He wanted to throw some change ups, but they played it safe, only fastballs, and he hit ninety two to ninety four in his bullpen session today. Also surprising to see Blake Trinon in his full batting practice uniform blue jersey white pants. He was out there getting after it, and we had a chance to talk to Blake Trinon about where he's at and if he's optimistic that this rehab comeback is going to work out, it's.
Speaker 10: Probably where it needs to be right now. And that's the best wagon word. It's not like me trying to tiptoe and throw you guys off. It's just really all I know is like, how I feel right now is right where it needs to be. On the bullpen, results today were really good, So just continuing to take each day one step at a time. The thing with like you got to view it as like a build up from spring training still, right, So like I'm kind of an off season bullpens realistically.
Speaker 4: Right, So.
Speaker 10: You're still letting it go, but the body still isn't quite moving how it would in a game, if that makes sense. So I got my efforts there. I would say I was a tick below max effort, you know, but it doesn't mean the results are showing what max effort is when I'm pitching in a game. So that's probably the.
Speaker 2: Best way I could word that.
Speaker 4: Hey, great job, Blake, try and I love the way you worded that and look, I wouldn't expect Blake trying to come back before the All Star break. In fact, Dave Roberts said that in his press conference earlier today that he doesn't expect trying to be back until after the All Star break, probably in August ish. But that's all good news that these guys are still moving forward and they haven't had any setbacks. Also, a guy that's coming back from Tommy John surgery from a year ago, that is more real to contribute before the break and maybe as soon as the next couple of weeks as Emmitt Shean. Emmit Shean yesterday pitched his third rehab game for Oklahoma City, and the Dodgers are kicking around the idea about whether or not Shea needs another rehab start or can he help the rotation maybe a six starter situation, considering that they have decided to have Ben Casparius move back to the starting role. I have said this for the last few weeks, even a month. Ben Casparius to me, has been the most valuable pitcher on this pitching staff. The way he's been able to be as nimble as he has been flexible to go from different roles, throw different amount of innings, throw different amount of pitches, and now the Dodgers are going to have him be a starting pitcher and he is on the five day routine. He joined us on the pregame show earlier today, and here's how he said his preparation changes.
Speaker 11: You know, I think the biggest thing is just you know, being able to throw a bullpen, you know, at least once a week, pretty structured, with a little bit more intent than what I would do, you know, getting ready for a game or trying to be hot every single night as a reliever, and obviously like a more structured plan in the weight room, in the training room, and then just being a little bit more independent in general, and just you know, listening to my body, knowing what I need to do in terms of like the throwing, the workload, you.
Speaker 2: Know, what I'm working on day to day.
Speaker 11: And then you know, just I've got one day a week to you know, go to work and you know, do what I can do to help us win.
Speaker 4: Ben other guys have tried to do this, but they haven't been successful because obviously it's challenging to go from being a reliever to being a starter. How have you been able to be as effective as you have been going back to last year's World Series.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think it's just you know, staying present, focusing on, you know, one pitch at a time, you know, sticking to our game plan, whether it's you know, going out there to get three outs, if it's you know, six outs, eighteen, whatever, it is, just being present, you know, trusting will back there or Dalton, whoever it is, and just you know, you know, being open with the communication with our coaches and what we're trying to accomplish.
Speaker 4: Have they doubled down on the communication that yes, you are going to be the starter the next time your spot in the rotation comes around.
Speaker 11: Yeah, so I think, you know, sometime early next week, I'll probably be back out there as a starter. I'm looking forward to it. It's obviously, you know, a new role for me just in the big leagues, and you know, still being stretched out and getting to a normal pitch count, but it's a you know, a different type of challenge navigating a lineup three times through or whatever it is.
Speaker 4: And you know, I'm looking forward to it. And the reason why Ben Casparius is able to do that. You heard it in the tone of his voice. He's not only physically tough, he is mentally tough and appreciates and has gratitude that he's at the big league level. So he'll do whatever the Dodgers need to do. And it feels like for the foreseeable future, the Dodgers are going to need bank Casparius to be a starting pitcher up until the All Star break. And who knows, he may take this and run with it and never look back, and he may be permanently in this rotation depending on how he performs. But he has been so valuable to the Dodgers this year. And look glass Now and Snell probably not coming back until after the All Star break. Certainly Snell is not going to have enough time to build up before the All Star break. So there's a very good chance Casparius is a starting pitcher through the All Star break. So that's where things stand with the Dodgers. But things are looking good to get glass Now, Snell and Otani into your rotation post All Star break. That's to me is the difference between the Dodgers and the Giants and the Padres. The Dodgers just have so much depth. They're doing this being in first place with their starting staff and their bullpen for the better part of this season decimated by injuries. So what does that tell you? Eight six, six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number Dodgers fall to the Giants tonight, six to two. Let's check in with our guy, Jose Mota.
Speaker 5: It's tough to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 4: All right, Jose Mota, We've all been wondering in Los Angeles. How are the Giants doing it? How are they tied with the Dodgers in the NL West in the middle of June. What did we learn tonight about the Giants?
Speaker 2: Oh, they can pitch, and the Dodgers think about the last what four series going back to the Mets, Cardinals, Potters. Now this years against the Giants, it's the good pitching they're facing. And that's a bottom line. As you mentioned, I mean, they don't slug a lot, they don't run a lot. They found a way to win games, to win close ballgames, and they catch the ball. The Giants for a couple of years here going back with a team that was shooting themselves in the foot by not catching baseball's and making it so tough on their guys on the mound, But do you feel they work efficiently? They hit the corners at least tonight We saw it again. And the other answer is, which is even more more compliant, is the Dodgers have not played good baseball the last look three weeks or so last month. That's what the Giants are where they're at without the DODGERSLF being part of it too, Dave, there's no, no, no doubt about it, all.
Speaker 4: Right, Jose. Jerry Harriston Junior and Nomar on Sports and at LA hinted that they believe maybe Yamamoto was also tipping tonight. Do you believe he was tipping, especially in that third inning?
Speaker 2: They had something on him? Because I went back to last year in May when Louis Moto's have gotten off from Triple A and sat in a breaking ball first pitch and at three on home more against him in San Francisco, and I said, they have something on him. And then my other indication is, and obviously Norman knows a lot about hitting, Jerry knows. You know the game so well, Dave. The swings tell you something, but also the takes say even more about what they're looking for, what they're laying off of and what the best swings are putting on are happening, which counts. So in all of that, Yamamoto was not very good. He was you know, around the zone and they they said he was too fine. He was just erratic to me. I know, I never see yamotos throw like a slurf. I saw his slerve today, which is very unusual, meaning the angle was not right, lasting spot was not right. But certainly I know the Giants do have something on them because just going back to last season, I said, and just their takes in their swings.
Speaker 4: So they told me something that's very interesting. And all of that baked in with home plate umpire Adam Beck kind of being a little shaky the first three innings that made things really tough for Yamamoto.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I mean when you have two premier pictures on the mound and you see it combined seven walks and three innings, you know it's not the pictures only, So no doubt about it. As Nicol Horner told lump Or the day he was having a very bad day, Nico got by being smart and he was an argument balls and strikes and so you have a bad day. He got tossed by that. So that's a Stafford guy for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Stanford guy. They know a lot. They know more than all of us, at least they think they do. No offense to Tommy Hey, Jose Mota, Justin Robleski, what did he prove tonight as far as sticking around after coming in in relief for Yamamoto, Well.
Speaker 2: The valley that he has as a long reliever, and then the fact that Casparius joins the rotation by the way, very goghted with Casparrious and he can pretty much go on there and take that role. Had a long talk with Justin in San Diego and one of the things he was telling me is that sometimes he becomes way too cerebral on the mound and it's a detriment to him. And he's like, if I had a fast boat, obviously we saw it fast with ninety nine point five in Saint Louis. Still I still made two bad pitches. So he's not too cut up in this whole analytic thing about velocity. Was there, you made two pitches, So what it matters? He learned from kursh I mean, come on, he's got Kursher right there saying yeah, it was great, but we need to make a pitch, and to make a pitch, and he's so convinced by that, And today what I saw was an aggressive guy. Also the pace on my own, you see a lot of guys that almost were not ready to hit because he was just using that clock to the max, smartly getting guys off offset with their swings, not over using the breaking ball, and just going right after people. He showed all out today by trusting number one, the fast one ninety seven ninety eight.
Speaker 4: Jose. Not sure if you heard this, but I was pretty confident the Dodgers were not only going to win the series, but sweep the Giants. And I even told your partner Pepe and Ingas I would buy him tacos if the Giants won one game this series. So you might be having a nice meal one of these nights on the home stand.
Speaker 2: That means all of us. Okay, nice job, Paype, good job with negotiating that, Pepe.
Speaker 4: Yeah they forget that they want it for you. Yeah. Yeah, you can thank Casey Schmid too, send it, Send a taco down to Casey Schmid.
Speaker 2: So I guess we ought to thank Matt Chapman too for being out hurt too.
Speaker 4: Huh yeah, yeah, a great cal State Fullerton Titan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know what, they got to play better and continue to find a way to be good pitching. Obviously, you got to go out there and beat it like they score against whereby you know, a couple of walks to sack fly. Things like that need to happen more often for you to win this close ball games and hopefully have better performances on the mountain. Stone will curse tomorrow, It'll.
Speaker 4: Happen tomorrow, Kershaw Day, be ready for a Felice Sabado.
Speaker 2: I like it. I like I believe you, Thank.
Speaker 4: You, thank you. Uh, stay hungry, We'll see you soon.
Speaker 2: Wagu Sandwich next.
Speaker 4: Okay, thanks Ose, I'm not going that far. I do radio. Don't forget that. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Great to see Jose Mota and Pepe and Ingez back at Dodger Stadium today, and also Luis Cochito Cruz. He's always glowing whenever where we come back from a road trip. All right, let's take one more call before we say good night. Jeff and Buena Park. You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: How you doing, Jeff, very good.
Speaker 1: So I just wanted to know if you know why, what why Dave doesn't change pictures when he feels like he should or when we feel like he should. I mean, just as an example, when they were playing the Padres the other night and he left sour and for I don't know, four to five six innings day? What four to five runs? I mean, you see this as an ongoing thing from season to season. Any any answer to that? Well?
Speaker 4: Can I can? I? Yeah, I can't answer it, and I feel like I have a pretty good answer for you, Jeff. The Dodgers were playing to win the series. It was unfortunate, and it wasn't comfortable to watch Matt Soer out there for one hundred and eleven pitches giving up nine runs. But everybody the next day was praising him because he saved the bullpen and the Dodgers were going to a bullpen game to try to win that series, which they ended up doing. Now tonight, when it comes to Yamamoto, he let him hang in there a little bit longer than I'm sure most of you have wanted, because he was trying to get five innings out of him with how many innings the Dodger bullpen has thrown this year. But you know, what is he gonna do? Take him out when there's bases loaded in the third inning. I don't think he's gonna do that, Jeff. But I feel like those are reasonable things and reasonable ways to manage when you're trying to win a season, not just one of one sixty two.
Speaker 1: I don't feel like it's reasonable when he does this constantly ongoing season to see another time, and every time he does it, we lose the game.
Speaker 4: He takes him out pretty early. That's why the Dodger bullpen has thrown more innings by a long shot than any other team in baseball.
Speaker 1: Jeff, guess her.
Speaker 4: Call me back next time. When it happens, tell me back and we'll discuss it that night too. Tomorrow, Clayton Kershaw will be on the mound. He's coming off his best start of the season in Saint Louis, where he won his first game of the year, going up against right hander Landon Roop, who is four and four with an ERA of three point twenty nine. We'll all find out how good this guy Landon Roup is tomorrow night as well. Morongo Casino Dodgers on Well you know who he is. Morongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck begins at six o'clock, first pitch at seven ten. Thanks to Colin Yee back at our Burbank studios, Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Dodgers Stadium, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show or our pregame conversation with Bank Casparius, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. Once again. The final score tonight from Dodgers Stadium. The Giants defeat the Dodgers six to two. We'll talk to you tomorrow. Be safe out there, see them slipping away and the time sleeping