Speaker 1: All right, Good morning Kentucky, Anda, and welcome in five oh five here at Kentucky and his morning news on News Radio eight forty whas Nick coffee, that's me. We got Scott Fitzgerald in the saddle as well, John Alden he's here, and then of course John Shannon alongside, and fellas.
Speaker 2: It as hot as what hot is fire hot.
Speaker 1: As I mean, there's a lot of different different things that are coming to mind to describe this, but I'm not sure there's a perfect one, and there's certain things that I probably shouldn't say on the radio, But man, it is it is disgusting outside.
Speaker 2: Is that Is that fair to say? Is that a good one to use? Disgusting?
Speaker 3: We're in a good time now where you can literally say it feels swamp ass hot out there.
Speaker 1: Yes, swamp ass season right on schedule, just like the summer is. And maybe there's some recency bias here for me because it's not it's still relatively new. In fact, it's still very new for me to start my day as early as I do. But I can't think of any time I've been outside between the three am and four am hour and it be already as hot as it is and seemingly more humid than it is during the day.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just gross.
Speaker 4: It's crazy. I was telling you on my way in.
Speaker 3: I come off of sixty four from when I come down just after the Cochrane Hill Tunnels, before I turned to go up sixty five to Burke Street. I'll watch my temperature gate drop five degrees and as soon as I get on sixty five north, right there by Slugger Field, it shoots right back up five degrees.
Speaker 4: That heat Island is in full effect here in Louisville.
Speaker 2: Oh, no doubt.
Speaker 1: They showed the temperatures up here on the WKY four thirty newscast, just showing just the temperatures in different spots within the Kentuckian area, and it seemed like Louisville right specifically where we are downtown. It is hot as can be. And I've been hugging Monster Energy drinks this morning. I'm sure I'll pay for that later because the crash is coming. Maybe a nice cup of coffee can help me avoid it, But then that would be an even bigger crash when we get there.
Speaker 2: But when you are.
Speaker 1: Really really hot and you just think, okay, there's nothing that could help better than a drink of something to give me a little hydration and just some instant relief. Just something cool to drink that'll cool you off. Briefly, what's your go to drink? Obviously there's a different les. I think you can just be thirsty because you're thirsty, you're parched, maybe dry mouth, whatever it may be. But then sometimes you're you're extremely hot and you're thirsty. That's a different level. It's as if, Okay, I need some type of hydration and some type of a thirst quencher or I'm gonna pass out. If you get one option, any drink in the world.
Speaker 3: What would it be. I'll start with you, Scott I. You know this is crazy, and we joked. The watermelon's a big joke on the show. You're true, dude. I came in last night. I swear I ate a whole damn watermelon myself, and it's just something about the water based and the taste of it.
Speaker 4: It literally quenches the thirst.
Speaker 2: Of all fruits.
Speaker 1: That may be the one that probably provides a thirst quenching effect like no other, So those other fruits that can as well.
Speaker 4: Yep, Nope, that's it, and it almost better than water. To be honest with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you're that. I would never have thought of that, but I think you're onto something there. Sure there's many that would agree.
Speaker 3: What about you, John, Give me all the Gatorades, the Power Aids, any of the different variants, body arm or I'll drink all those.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can never go wrong there. And my answer is probably not one that would be as effective when it comes to actual hydration because Scott's given us a natural way to hydrate while also putting, you know, some calories in the body as well. John's going with just a drink that is quite literally marketed as something that will hydrate you whenever.
Speaker 2: You are you're you're worked up.
Speaker 1: For me, I think I would probably if I had to choice, I would probably go with the Sprite. And it's because it's it's billed as the thirst quenching soda, the citrusy lime, and it's got that.
Speaker 2: Bite to it. But I don't know why.
Speaker 1: It's just it's an instant thing and it really never actually long term quenches my thirst. But that carbonation, that bite that comes with really any soda. To be honest with you, I don't know what like I don't. I probably drink more carbonated drinks than I should, But it's really not about like, I have certain soft drinks that are my go to. If I'm gonna be drinking one at the house, I'll go diet coke really like sprite, you know.
Speaker 2: I'll really I'll drink any of them.
Speaker 1: But it's not necessarily just because I want the flavor of a big red or the flavor of a diet coke. It's that kick that you get from from a carbonated drink, ye that I just can't. At times, I just can't resist so.
Speaker 4: Be honestly, there's times where I'm just like, I can't do water anymore.
Speaker 2: Same here, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think that all can't. I can't. I do enough of it, but I can't.
Speaker 1: I enjoy water throughout just because it's you know, I don't mind it.
Speaker 4: I drink.
Speaker 1: I try to drink enough to where I feel like I'm decently hydrated. But honestly, when it comes to just you know, man, I'm thirsty. It is hot as can be, I'm sweating my rear end off. Water doesn't do a whole lot. I mean I say that knowing that a sprite I would just keep drinking and want to keep drinking more, and then I would probably have a stomach ache. But yeah, I stay hydrated out there, folks. And here we are complaining about how hot it is. Mostly me. Look I started it. I'm throwing these guys under the bo us. But you know, there's people that go to work every day in these conditions and they're just thinking you a bunch of soft patsies.
Speaker 2: Come on, Nancy boy, what.
Speaker 1: Do you And you're right, I am not built to be outdoors for a long stretch of time during these conditions. So shout out to those that do it every day, and it's just become of their it's just how they make a living. So again, you're tougher than me. I'll never fight you on that. All right, we've got news and actually we've got traffic and weather coming your way. Then we'll hit sports in about fifteen minutes. Of course, your first newscast with John Shannon at five thirty. It is five to eleven here at Kentucky and This Morning News on News Radio eight forty whas.
Speaker 2: Check its street.
Speaker 1: Peace in the Middle East is not something I expected to say that we would have and maybe that's somewhat of a stretch. Maybe I'm getting a little bit ahead of myself, but the development yesterday late into the afternoon and early evening wasn't something I was expecting.
Speaker 2: What do I know?
Speaker 1: I don't think anybody truly knew what was going to happen. But I would say if you just take everything into consideration starting twelve days ago as to where we are now, you know, again, throughout those twelve days, certainly I guess there's some things that it would have been preferable to avoid, but we didn't, and now it seems to be I mean, really, dare I say best case scenario here? It's five to sevent seen here in Kentucky. Had this morning News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty WHAS take us with you wherever you go. You can listen live on the iHeartRadio app. Also listen live at whas dot com. So, yeah, we've got we've got some big news that, of course I'm sure by now all of you are well aware of. But President Trump announced yesterday that complete and total cease fire between Israel and Iran, which again, that's good news, right, It's putting an end to their twelve day war, if we can call it that. So Iran, Iran sorry stopped firing. I guess about six hours after Trump's announcement. Israel they stopped I guess twelve hours roughly since after he announced that the ceasefire, the complete and total ceasefire, was in place, and the whole conflict. I mean again, I'm sure there's still some lingering effects to an extent, but overall, as far as a war going on that clearly the United States intervened in and got involved in to a certain extent, it seems to be seems to be over now for how long? Who knows, but I think there are many that were pretty critical for good reason. And even if you here's something that really hit me yesterday shortly after we wrapped up the show, is you know, I think it's normal, dare I say natural to know that you don't have the right answers, you don't have the perfect response. I mean, certain people do think that they have the perfect answer for everything in life. But I think it's okay, and it's somewhat natural to know that you don't have the right answers, and you don't envy those that are in position to make very important and difficult decisions. However, you still feel like, yeah, I don't know if I would have handled it that way.
Speaker 2: I think there were a lot of people.
Speaker 1: In that in that camp, and I'm sure there's many that weren't, but I'm sure there were some, and they probably were pleasantly surprised to see things play out the way they did yesterday. And I don't know, I just just an observation on my mind. I think there were some that almost not necessarily disappointed, but they you know, they were they were anticipating that this was going to be something that long term became very detrimental to our society here in America, the economy and whatnot.
Speaker 2: And who knows.
Speaker 1: Again, I still don't think we know for certain what the lingering effects are going to be overall. But if you were somebody that was very worried, very upset beside yourself after the news came out Saturday, as far as what President Trump decided to do, I would say, as we sit.
Speaker 2: Here right now at five nineteen am.
Speaker 1: Just a couple of days later, a few days later, I'd say, this is best case scenario from that moment. So sounds as if Katar's mediation was a factor, and JD. Vance VP Vance and Secretary of State Marco Rubio were impactful in getting this done. So this comes after again a wild weekend where the United States hit three of those Iranian nuclear sites and of course ran fired back with missiles, and just those are the things you would expect to develop given what took place. But now here we are again in a complete and total cease fire between Israel and Iran, which puts an end to that twelve day war. We'll talk more about maybe what can be expected moving forward from this with Roory O'Neal NBC News. He set to join us coming up at five forty five. We've got sports coming up in about five minutes time, and your next update of traffic and weather is right here, right now Kentucky and his morning news News Radio eight forty whas. Thank you, John Shannon, appreciate it. That's right, a fresh batch coming your way right here on news radio eight forty whas. It is Kentucky and his morning News Nick Coffee with you. We've got Rody O'Neil coming up in about ten minutes, and it seems as if now things are in good place as far as they're being peace in the Middle East. Obviously it did. It turns out that Iran, did I guess.
Speaker 2: Back up there.
Speaker 1: The missile they fired came after the ceasefire deadline passes. But President Trump has said even since then that the ceasefire is now.
Speaker 2: In full effect.
Speaker 1: Maybe they can blame it on a time to I mean, I shouldn't laugh about something like that. But as of let's see overnight at about one twenty five am our time here in the United States Eastern Standard time, that was the report that I'm referencing here that did say that President Trump has once again said that the ceasefire is now in full effect. So Rory will give us the latest on that and he'll join us coming up in about nine minutes or so. One of the stories you heard John mentioned in his newscast is the trial that is now underway early starting today as far as well Jerry's selection, I think is what's is what's getting started actually as as it stands today in Bowling Green, Warren County. And this story the disappearance of Crystal Rogers, the alleged suspect of course being her former boyfriend, and now we know a father and son, the Lawsons.
Speaker 2: They they are.
Speaker 1: One of them has already been convicted, and of course the other is going to be facing trial today. Troll moving forward here as it all gets started today, both brooks Auk and the younger Losson. So I believe a lot of folks are aware of this, But let me just tell you what this story is. Nationally, So true crime is the most popular genre out there when it comes to how people consume content, podcast, TV shows, documentaries, just reading that kind of stuff. And I don't see that going anywhere anytime soon. And I say that as somebody who also really loves true crime myself. I can just get hooked on things. I mean, did the one I did not get into recently that of course became a huge, huge thing nationally. I kind of felt I had some fomo because I didn't really follow it at all. But it sounds like something I'd be very interested in, and that is the trial of Karen Reed, which, of course, last week she was found not guilty for what she was accused of, which was murdering her ex boyfriend who was a Boston cop. But nonetheless, this story is now ten years old, the Crystal Rogers case, and I don't know what people realize just how much national coverage this has gotten, not just because it's the ultimate mystery and ten years have gone by, and there's some other things that have taken place in the Barstown area that there's no way to know for certain, at least right now, but it wouldn't be a shocker. And you can see why people try to connect dots and think that other crazy crimes that you'd never think would happen in a place like Bargetown, Kentucky, could all be tied to this, Like they could all be linked.
Speaker 2: But the different the you know, the different.
Speaker 1: Networks that have covered this story, I think would surprise a lot of people. I mean, you've had I mean when it comes to the I mean, I know the Investigation Discovery, I know they featured, Yeah, here we go, there's a breakdown of it. So the Disappearance of Krystal Rogers. That was a six episode documentary minitory series that came out on the Oxygen Network in twenty eighteen, and I feel like that was the first time it really you know, people who didn't know much about it, don't have any connection or any ties at all to Bargetown. They just you know, it's like you pop on a true crime show and you'd never heard anything about it, and you're hooked just because you're intrigued. So that was in twenty eighteen, and since then the HLN Network, the HLN Investigative Team, they had a documentary that focused on the case. That's of course it's owned by CNN. And then there was also the Investigation Discovery Channel, which I'm addicted to that they had something called Still a Mystery. The episode it's a series, but the episode that featured this case was called Kentucky Murder Mystery. Even Dateline in twenty twenty have featured this. So if you are a true crime fanatic out there, and there are many as mentioned, that's why I said that for those who don't know, this is one of the most popular. In fact, it is the most popular genre out there when it comes to just content. There will be a lot of eyeballs on this trial. And as this moves forward in Bowling Green and I mean allegedly her boyfriend is I mean, and that's that's who the prosecution is is, certainly after he's the main target. And there are some things that I think make it an open and shutcase. But you know what, I don't know if you guys know this. I didn't go to law school. You know, I think it's pretty important to have the body which has never been discovered, and that's a huge factor in really, you know, getting I think what you want, which is a murder conviction. So anyhow, we'll certainly keep you updated as best we can, but I know a lot of you won't be relying on us because you're going to be hooked to this because it's just something you've been probably hopefully it hasn't consumed you too much, but certainly been ten years now and it seems to have just exploded into a national story, maybe even more so than we realize around here. All Right, we've got Rory O'Neal of NBC News joining us coming up in about five minutes. But first, another update on trafficking weather right here on news radio eight forty whas.
Speaker 2: Five forty six here Kentucky.
Speaker 1: And it's morning News with Nick Coffee on news radio eight forty whas. Let's bring in Rory O'Neal of NBC News. Rory, good morning, sir, What is the latest here? I know we had a ceasefire and then we kind of didn't and now we do again.
Speaker 2: Is that is that accurate to say?
Speaker 5: Yeah, fragile is the word of the day. And let's see how things go.
Speaker 6: Both sides were lobbing missiles at one another. Now they're lobbying accusations at each other of violations of this seasfire deal. But it does seem that things seem to be holding after a shaky start to the seasfire, but some encouraging signs, you know. President Trump announced the fact that this seasfire was happening, surprising everyone around six o'clock last night Eastern time, saying it would take effect about six hours later. In the staggered way, it seems there was one last flurry of activity, But now things seemed to be holding.
Speaker 1: So fingers crossed absolutely, And yesterday I could sense it as the day moved forward, those who maybe aren't as plugged into this as others, started to, you know, get more on what was going on, and they worried about what could this mean for me, meaning at the gas pump. What were the initial expectations? And I guess, since now we've got good news, I guess moving forward, should there be as much concern?
Speaker 5: Well, it's fascinating because I think when the US launched those strikes over the weekend, we all expected oil prices are going to skyrocket as a result, soon gas prices are going to go up to because anytime there's that kind of volatility, you get a little worried. But instead everyone seemed rather calm, and gas was sort of fluctuating just a couple of percentage points, or oil was just a couple of percentage points yesterday, back and forth, really, but then when word of the ceasefire came, it really started to fall. So it's now down about three and a half percent. Oil is now cheaper today than it was before Israel started this series of attacks on to Iran.
Speaker 1: So you would be able to check the pulse better than my self as far as just the initial reaction as it developed yesterday that we had potential peace here in the Middle East, and certainly again there was the missile fired after the ceasefire, and now again we seem to be in a good place.
Speaker 2: Was this a surprise?
Speaker 1: I think it's good news, certainly, but I don't think that many expected. Again, I know you can't speak for anybody with yourself, but I think this was a pleasant surprise yesterday to see this thing wrap up a lot quicker than I think most expected.
Speaker 5: Well, right, and I neglected to mention the fact that Iran launched this retaliatory strike on the US military base in Cutter yesterday as well. And it was sort of lame, to be honest with you, Right, they matched your missile missile Essentially, they said, all right, you guys dropped fourteen bunker busters, we're going to launch fourteen missiles that you by the way, here they come. They're going to come in about an hour, so get ready. So it really helped that it was easy for Cutter to neutralize those missiles before they reached anyone could really do any damage or harm. So it really was Iran sort of saying, okay, look, we're just here to save face. Don't forget. You know, it's a media blackout, so Iran really only what they want to hear. And they said, we get to say, see we retaliated against the Great West and you know, we're not surrendering. But really was such a lame response, and then President Trump decided not to take action as a result of that response, and then again a couple hours later, now we're into ceasefire talk, so again, Let's see how this holds. It seems pretty tenuous right now, but Iran is certainly in a much weak and more weakened position than it was more than a week ago.
Speaker 1: With the congressional summer recess approaching, Senate leadership is promising to stay in session until President Trump's Big Beautiful Bill has passed.
Speaker 2: What's the latest here?
Speaker 1: And I guess what is the biggest hold up among many whole potential holdups.
Speaker 5: I suppose, Yeah, there are still a lot of big issues. The Senate parliamentarian has actually taken a hatchet to parts of the Big Beautiful Bill.
Speaker 4: Not as big anymore.
Speaker 5: Because they're not trying to pass this through normal business. They're trying to pass it through reconciliation to avoid the filibuster rule. So there aren't as many things that they can do. And some of the changes the Senate is making, or some of the proposals are being stripped out by the parliamentarian. And then there's the issue of salt that state and local tax deduction. You know a lot of people representatives Republicans from traditionally blue states like New York or California, are desperate to get salt put back in to the tax code that lets you deduct state and local taxes salt. You can deduct those taxes from your federal income tax. But people from places like Texas and Mississippi saying, why are we subsidizing bad tax policy from New York and California. So there's a debate now about whether or not those deductions can return and at what amount. And you know, some Republicans in the House may not pass this bill or vote for it when it comes back to them. And remember it only passed with one voat, so it really is like threading a needle here to get this thing over the finish line by the fourth of July.
Speaker 1: Rory as always, thank you for the time, Enjoy the rest of your day and we'll talk soon.
Speaker 4: Thanks Nick.
Speaker 1: That's Rory and Neeiald NBC News. Good stuff there, as always. All right, let's take a quick time out, get you caught up on traffic and weather and another sports updates coming your way with Scott Fitzgerald right here on Kentucky and his morning news with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty whas