Speaker 1: Hell, everybody to the facilities of the iHeartMedia Megaplexus is Dick Gabriel. This is the state wide edition of the Big Blue Insiety. You've heard comments from Mark Pope and Cameron Mills and Nick ben Jon. Stay tuned and you'll hear comments now from Aaron Gershan and the cast paws on Billy Rutleds. Stick around for the state wide BBI from Pikeville to Padica. It is the state wide Big Blue Insider Tournament Week. March Man already here. Conference tournaments are already happening. But of course as SEC tournament play this week, as we all know, and the ever present argument about the value of said tournaments, and that happens It's gonna happen every day. I guess you know. We were talking off air about do the tournaments actually make money? I mean, that's why they were born. The road map was the ACC tournament way back in the day, I mean more than fifty years ago. But what it did was made money. And when ESPN came around and started soaking up all these tournaments, what happened was coaches would see them as hey, we can get on ESPN. It actually started when ESPN began to broadcast games at eleven o'clock at night, at midnight. I actually did some of those games for the OVC, but coaches said, we'll do anything to get on ESPN because it helps recruiting. Yep. So now the conference tournaments come around and Aaron and I were just talking about empty seats and you were telling me about Evansville.
Speaker 2: Oh OVC. Yeah, that was a brutal crowd. Yeah, it's a pretty big arena there. I lived there for a year and they maybe got a thousand people in there.
Speaker 1: What good is that? Now, that's what we get well, and the only good is you're on ESPN.
Speaker 2: And you know in their slot. They were the first championship game of any tournament on Saturday, and that's usually how I believe the OVC, that's usually how they work. I remember a couple of years back boxing them in a hotel room, kind of the same situation, end of season road game for Kentucky. So yeah, no, that that part of it. They definitely got exposure because they were on I think it was ESPN two eight o'clock tip. Yeah, standalone game. As far as championship.
Speaker 1: The sad thing is these kids are playing their butts off one kid. Obviously the Nancy Tournament, there ain't nobody there. Before we start breaking down the tournament, let me put it to both of you and Billy, how would you feel if the SEC Tournament went away?
Speaker 2: I wouldn't love it. I think it's fun. I think it's again, the importance of it can be debated, but look, the Kentucky fans care so much about it, and they sell that place out. And you know, we were just talking off air, which fan base should show up. Tennessee fans show up, show up and show out. Auburn fans lately have been incredible there. Bama, even Arkansas always travels for it. So I think it's still a big event. I think it definitely has lost some luster, and some coaches, John cal Perry kind of kind of vocalize it more so than others. But there's also coaches like Mark Pope and nat and Natos to his credit, always talks about how important is to win the conference tournament. Yeah, I think.
Speaker 3: There's some definite value to it. I mean, as a Western guy in a one bid conference, it's it's do or die every year, even if you did win the regular season titles. So I understand, you know, the tension and the drama and that's two different. But it means hold on. Yeah, what it means to college basketball.
Speaker 1: I want to gain, I want to come back to go ahead.
Speaker 3: But you know, Texas A and M also went on a run. Was it last year or two years?
Speaker 2: The twenty two team they were left.
Speaker 3: Out and they were left out, Greg Zankees like, we've got to expand the NCAA tournament. Bad idea, Greg, But there was something to the magic of that run by Texas A and M. If they could have won that last game, they would be an automatic qualifier. And I think a from a like a five thousand feet perspective to give teams the opportunity to win their way into the tournament. You know, I'm not going to say no to more basketball.
Speaker 1: All right, put your Western Kentucky back back on. All right, Let's say Western Kentucky goes fourteen and two but stumbles in the conference tournament and is left out. When's the regular season bid? That's where I'm going right Whin's because yeah, I'm glad you brought up Western Kentucky and that's that's in a league that should get more than one bid. But we all know why it doesn't. So that's what bugs me the most. You're right, those everybody loves the Cinderella and everybody loves the video somebody thrown in a shot rushing the floor, blah blah blah. But Western Kentucky has worked its butt off to go foot and this is all you know, conjecture fourteen and two or fifteen and one or some incredible regular season but is left out because a one bad game in a postseason tournament.
Speaker 3: Well, forget conjecture. Rick Stansbury was there for seven eight years, never made the NCAA tournament, made the championship game maybe three or four times, right, and just could never did he win the regular season I think maybe once? And during that time, I mean there were times where they were the clear favorite in the league and then they stumbled, like there's the situation and that sucks because it had really devalues the regular season, thank you.
Speaker 1: That's that's that's what I dislike outside of it. Yeah, but part of that too is there are too many mediocre teams from big conferences that get in. Yes, and some think that if you're sub five hundred in your league, you shouldn't get in I mean, there's all kinds of debate about it, but no, it's a it's a great entertainment, it's great spectacle, it's great theater. There's no question about that. Now let's get to Aaron's tweet, shall we, Uh, starting with Cali Peri who and again? And I completely with you, Aaron, And I'm sure Billy you agree that. And I've said this several times. Uh this year, for whatever reason has come up Calipery. The disconnect with the Kentucky fans began with NBA Draft Night. Five players chosen biggest, most important, most.
Speaker 2: Important, biggest in UK bas.
Speaker 1: That was a terrible thing now clearly clearly directed at recruits. Yes, okay, but you talk about misreading the room. We don't care about SEC championships, we don't care regular season or tournament. It's it's all about getting a seed. Well, hello, one leads to another. But to say that to this fan base that, like you said, shows up for the tournament and takes enormous pride in numbers of wins. Now, cal Perry was big on that. He was incredibly paranoid about losing the lead over Kansas, but which he did. But to dismiss the value and importance of SEC titles to this fan base who treasures those numbers and.
Speaker 2: The money they you know, expensive Nashville is can't buy a drink for even more.
Speaker 1: Even more than the than the folks who go and spend money. It's just the people. No, I mean, it's about pride in your program and bragging rights and all that you can.
Speaker 2: Now he's doing it at Arkansas. You can think it all you want, just don't say it. That's kind of what I was trying to get out in my tweet, like, yeah, I don't may I read it? Go for it all right?
Speaker 1: This is Aaron gh a Gershon ninety nine responding to if you're not following what you should my take on this for what it's worth or is your kids type FWIW? Number one, Aaron breaks his points down. Have you not read this show?
Speaker 2: I better look it up.
Speaker 1: Man, you're read you're a busy guy.
Speaker 2: I broke it down.
Speaker 1: Okay, I agree that if you're a lock in the SEC tournament doesn't matter much. If you're a lock the SEC tournament doesn't matter much. Two and Aaron's yelling here and all thats no paying and traveling fan wants to hear this, and then in lowercase, it's disrespectful to them. Right on the money. Number three, Kentucky hasn't won an SEC Tournament game in Nashville since twenty nineteen. It's been a while, and rhetoric from Cal has been more outspoken on this issue each year. So no, it's not helping his teams. Again, right on the money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Cal's argument. And for the video for the fans, I haven't seen that video for I think it was Arkansas's radio postgame show. Was you said, point blank, I don't care about the SEC tournament And he also said my team's have done so well because I don't care about it. That is absolutely and I'm so like someone in my comments was like, you said it in twenty twelve, Well one maybe did. I wasn't here in all honesty and said, what the same thing in twenty twelve, Oh I don't care? Yeah, so, but I don't think that's the reason they're playing well. And by the way, the last and since then, social media has been it's crazier than ever now, so fans are putting more pressure on these kids. And you saw it last year at the SEC Tournament. I saw it in warm ups, Reed Shepherd, Rob Dillingham. Those freshmen looked terrified before that TEXTA, A and M game. They did not want to screw up. They wanted to win so badly for the fans because of probably what they see on social media and their coach combining that with that that doesn't matter. It is probably just screwing them in the head. So I just disagree completely. That's why you won the SEC tournaments because one your team's were really darn game and to the SEC was really darn bad at the time. So it just cribs me.
Speaker 1: Again, I'm not and I will say it is to your point. Those teams that were really good win it. They played their butts off, Yes, of course.
Speaker 2: So I'm not like, I'm not, mister SEC tournament. If they if they go one and done, can't they shouldn't even go to March bad And that's not it. No, it doesn't ruin March badness. But it's got to be somewhere Like to me, it would be acceptable for Kentucky this year to win one or two games and get home and get healthy and feel pretty good about it. And Mark Pope I guarantee when they lose if it's the first game, second game, third game, championship game, he'll be pissed off and devastated.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, I mean, I've heard calsay for years that nothing matters but March. Yet the SEC tournament lands in March, so you know, I you know, I don't think cal is lying when he says nothing else matters but March, because I can see where he's coming from. If you I mean, you're remembered for your legacy because of titles, but a big part of your legacy is what you do in the SEC and the conference tournament. And I think it would do a lot for his supporters if the first words out of his mouth wasn't I don't care about the now? Like kind of to Aaron's point, you can think that just don't flat out say those words. Does it improve your seating? Probably not a lot of times because the game championship games on Sunday. That doesn't help either. But you know what, it does matter that simply saying it doesn't is is not answering the question correctly. Does it help your seating a lot of times?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: But does it matter? Do I want to see what happened now? Like I hate to wish this on his kids at ARC. They've had a great month. But I hope they lose to South Carolina. Who would be that'd be a quad to loss. Well, he's never beat Lamont Paris that that's true. Yeah, And that their seed gets hurt and they have to play in Dayton. Let's see how he feels about that. Then then will he care about the SEC tournament if they lose to South Carolina, the last place team in the SEC, and end up in Dayton instead of a ten or nine seed.
Speaker 1: Well, and that takes me to Billy's point about seating. Look, ordinarily, look, and we all know this that the tournament is pretty much set by Friday. Yes, Okay, Now, Kentucky going into the SEC tournament more often than not, Kentucky's fate is already sealed. With regard to the NCAA. I just don't think. I'm sure maybe it did somewhere. Yeah, it's just but a loss for Kentucky and the SEC tournament very likely did not affect their bracketing, their seating, where they go when they play, you know, but it does for other teams, There's no question. But and I got so fed up with him whining about how the championship game went in doesn't mean we know this. We know this because the tournament's set on front. Unless you're a mid, middle of the pack team that jumps up like A and M did and makes it run. No, but it's like you're either in or you're out.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Most teams are already in. It's just a matter of where are you. And for Kentucky it rarely is mattered. I'm sure. I think because of the regular season.
Speaker 2: Right so Kentucky loses a Quad one game, because even if they loseed Oklahoma or Georgia, it's Quad one. I'm pretty sure. Yeah, they'll still be at three or four like this.
Speaker 1: As I said, and you know, you talk about making the same mistakes. I mean, and again Billy him saying that now to Arkansas fans.
Speaker 2: So far on Twitter, they're they're defending it.
Speaker 3: Well, if you hear pro Pope tonight, he said something to the effect of, we're preparing for like three different teams right now.
Speaker 2: It's like all the different scouting that's going on. I believe.
Speaker 3: I remember Cal saying that they were not practicing or scouting anybody, because why would they They don't know who they're playing.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: What's nice about the SEC tournament too, and the NCAA is you know, as media, we get the best access of all season. And right in front of you or next to you, wherever your seat may be, are the assistant coaches out there scouting. That's correct. And I can tell you from covering four or five whatever SEC tournaments under Cal his assistants are out there the shortest amount of time, no kidding, no question, but no. And the NCAA's different. They're they're probably a half. Most coaches, i'd say, are there for a half to you know, ten minutes into the second half. Rarely did they stay the full game. I'd say last year Chin Coleman brewis of Flint, and I forget who the third coach out there was out there for maybe six minutes wow, and they ended up losing. The scouting didn't met. So it's he just doesn't care about this, and that's fine. Again, that is fine. Just don't go tell that to your fan base who's probably already spent money on hotels whatever, not flights I guess from Kentucky, but Arkansas in their case flights like God only knows how much money it costs these people.
Speaker 1: I've got to think that maybe the vocal people on Twitter x whatever you want to call it, the squeaky wheels. They may be defending their coach or whatever, but start losing early in a turn.
Speaker 2: Again goal lose to South Carolina. Yeah, and we just said, we just said the tournament gets decided on Friday. That game's on Wednesday, So that gives the committee about thirty six hours to screw you.
Speaker 1: Arkansas is one of those teams it needs this turn ye.
Speaker 2: Right, they need to at least beat South Carolina. If they go lose a Quad one game to I think they would play I forget who the eight seed is Ole Miss if they go lose to Ole Miss on Thursday, But if they lose to South Carolina, it's gonna drop them a seat.
Speaker 1: It will.
Speaker 3: Well, look, coaches are human. They don't have to spend one hundred percent of their time preparing for the next game. But like, after a loss, you saying that you're gonna go watch a little house on the prairie during March my dogs, Like that's just not what the fan base needed to hear.
Speaker 2: And then they lost to Saint Peter's. By the way, let's not forget how that ended.
Speaker 1: And he also forgets or forgot, well, he's already doing it at Arkansas all that. I think he thinks he's sticking it to the media by not speaking or you know, speaking to the media out there in Arkansas, but didn't talk to us pregame for how many years?
Speaker 2: The last two? Yeah, and he has, he's done one this year and it was the game before Kentucky because it was about himself.
Speaker 1: Right, and then you know, ducked out by the way, you know, you're thumbing your nose at your fans. Yes, you know, we get paid either way, and he writes a story and I go back and report, and you go back and talk on your show either way. But fans want to hear from you, the ones who are footing the bill. And by the way, your contract calls for more money from TV and radio appearances than your salary from your school.
Speaker 2: That's lost the time.
Speaker 1: You know, I feel like, yeah, I agree, but well, yeah, because of the way the contracts are constructed. But the bottom line is, you know, that's your conduit to your fans, and so to blow.
Speaker 2: Them off, that's the problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is. And so you're blowing them off in more ways than one.
Speaker 2: I love what Mark Pope says about the SC tournament. I guarantee you somewhere deep down he's like, let's just get through it healthy.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it was the first game, sure, but he's.
Speaker 2: Never gonna come out and tell us in that public No, exactly.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll take everybody come back and actually look at the tournament games and talk a little football in our second half hour. Because Mark Stoops has chatted with us again. More to come on to say why BBI Border to border it is to say why BBI, Dick Gabriel, Billy Rutledge, Aaron Gershawn, Kentucky and Georgia coming up nine thirty on Thursday on most of these same stage I would take all of these same stations clock man, Yeah, probably these boys. Well, I'll be watching as well.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: We'll be working late, Aaron. Of course, we'll have to work after at least.
Speaker 2: It's Central time down there, so we do have an It is.
Speaker 1: Going to be a but your body clock's going to.
Speaker 2: Know, but I'll take it as a I can sleep in a little later in the morning because they won't play againuntil Friday night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Billy, is this the time of year you just bring in a cot and sleep in here.
Speaker 3: Well, theoretically I'll be done with postgame about three thirty.
Speaker 2: If we start at ten.
Speaker 1: And it's am, Ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 3: That's Eastern two and with a nine am radio show, you I think I might spend my first night overnight in a studio.
Speaker 2: Wow, what do we got? Sleeping bag? Blow up?
Speaker 3: The problem is the couches over there are just not comfortable enough. I'm gonna have to bring a sleeping bag. I mean I got comfy enough pillows, but the ground is not.
Speaker 1: How about no, no, no, I you know I actually an air mattress that once at the TV station and I cannot remember why, but I remember.
Speaker 3: Was it an overnight or Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, that's a long store. It's not worth it. But I do remember sleeping on the couch and a lobby kyt once I had to.
Speaker 3: I just can't get like three hours of sleep, you know that almost wor for my system. Yeah, you get in a deep sleep cycle and then you just have to be waking.
Speaker 1: Right now. I will tell you this. I did forty eight straight hours and it was this time of year I worked the SEC Tournament for SEC Radio, and then on Sunday, after our championship game broadcast was done, I would finish up working for KYT with interviews and satellite feeds and all that stuff. And I catch a flight come home and I still had my suitcase in my hand when my phone rang and our news director, who was not a good person, he calls me, and I think he had realized that he was in a meeting where they had decided We're going to do an NCAA tournament special that week and never told me. So I walk in before I set my bag down, What are your plans for the nca special? I said, what's special? Oh, the one that air is Tuesday, Like, I don't know about that, and you know, he's acting like, oh yeah, yeah, you know, you know. I dropped my bag in the kitchen, turned around and went to the TV station and stayed there for forty eight straight hours.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And I got about a one hour nap in Rob Bromley's chair up in the office because Rob had a bigger chair. Somehow that this bigger chair sort of made its way to the sports office, and I don't remember why I was at Rob's desk but I put my feet up and it was about five in the morning, and I maybe slept maybe for an hour and a half. Somebody came in and woke me up, but yeah, got it done. Then got on a plane for Boise, Idaho for the NC tournament.
Speaker 3: Wow, did you ask that person to wake you up or walk in?
Speaker 1: They just kind of walked in. But you know, anyhow, folks, this is what we do because we love our jobs. March it is the best time of year. But is it a shock of anybody other than I don't know, Auburn, Florida, Alabama. I'd be amazed if Tennessee won.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't. I don't see that though. Tennessee did beat they split with Florida, they beat Alabama, and they played different crap out of Florida. Yeah, and also the home floora played a big role there. It's going to be more of a Tennessee crowd just yeah, proximity wise, So Florida has been a fan base that hasn't traveled with this tournament. I have to think they would for this one because they're pretty darn good, those Gators. So yeah, I would say I haven't filled out my bracket yet, but I like Florida. I like the momentum they have right now. Auburn's had a rough week. Alabama's just I don't think they could guard Florida well enough. They just saw it in Tuscaloosa. And I just think they're playing the best ball in the SEC. They'll have a three, they'll be the two seeds, so they play like Missouri probably the first game, then Kentucky maybe or A Kentucky or Alabama. I just think Florida is gonna win it. I mean, I think I could see an A and M making a run. Yeah, I mean, if they beat Tennessee, which is very possible, they play Auburn in the semis. Auburn does not match up all with them as we saw it last week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, they've got some flaws as a team that's been the number one team in the country for who knows how long, even though Duke is number one.
Speaker 2: Now Auburn fell the three.
Speaker 3: So I mean A and M meeting all Labama or Florida in the finals as possibility.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's it's hard to get a read on Duke because of the league it plays in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they're good, man, They're really, they're really good. And I'll defend U of L faithful for a second. I see that Duke Fans and Duke Twitter not happy about John Shire not winning ACC's Coach of the Year.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 2: Look, the a SC stinks, and I think if you put Louisville in the SEC, they're kind of middle of the pack to bottom, you know what, the middle of the pack and head you might get fourteen teams in so not bad, but pack hell's I mean, they were the worst worst power for program the last two years in college past.
Speaker 1: They really were.
Speaker 2: And they go and win twenty six basketball or twenty five basketball, twenty six basketball games, whatever it is. That's Coach of the Year stuff. I'm sorry he deserved it, and I don't I don't see them going I think that maybe when the a SEC tournament. I don't see them making a huge deep march run. It could be wrong, but all about yeah, you don't. Look, John Shire had a gold mine already work with that he recruited. It's not like he went out and reinvented the wheel. This guy put together what did the same thing as Mark Pope, and he did a great job. He deserved and I.
Speaker 1: Do agree somebody says that about Pearl. Pearl put that team together and then coached it. There should be something said for that putting a team together, because people making a case for for Pope at least being a finalist. He put that team together and coached it. Oh yeah, yeah, and no honestly, and he should have won it. But I think people forget about that, Billy, don't you that They forget about the actual construction of.
Speaker 3: The team, right, And you know, the the thing about this is is that you know in a time of transfer portal. Yeah, nil, That's that's the name of the game. Like that's the important, most important thing a coach can do. And they tied a program record for wins in the regular season Louisville's I mean, talk about a hell.
Speaker 2: He absolutely deserved for Peck with us.
Speaker 1: Welcome back, it is to say wide edition of the Big Boom. Sid arey our gros of the cast pauses here with us their own Billy Ruttledge, I'm Dick Gabriel. We're gonna have to Kentucky's SEC tournament opener with them Georgia Bulldogs, and then of course after that it's on to the NCAA. Is how much pressure is there on Mark Pope? Not so much SEC tournament. And we'll talk more about this, of course next week when they know where they're going. But you feel like people are laying in the weeds, the critics waiting if somehow Kentucky stumbles out of the gate in the NCAA tournament because it is different. Yes, probably, Well that's a dumb question because in this day and age, everybody waiting to do everything so they're.
Speaker 2: Gonna get.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, there's definitely a section of fans. Look, there are still people who think Mark Pope was a terrible hire just because he wasn't Jay Wright or or I don't know someone.
Speaker 1: They couldn't get someone, right, So yeah, he has forced them to silence.
Speaker 2: Right, So there will be a told you so crowd when if that day comes. But uh yeah, there'll be a ton. It's Kentucky. There's always gonna be a ton of pressure. And how you manage it and how you embrace it.
Speaker 1: There's additional for Pope, right, Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Think yes, and no. I think from the I think it was more so from the non I think kit there's you almost can't lose the first round. That's what I'm saying, oh, in the first round, Yeah, there's no excuse. But if I don't think with all that's happened this year, if they go to the second round they lose to a hot six seed, yeah, I think you don't lose too much sleepover. You just can't lose the first There will be a ton of pressure going into that game against a fourteen or thirteen.
Speaker 1: People have had so much fun this year. Yeah, that almost had too much fun, but a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: I feel like he's bought some grace from some agreed because of eight top fifteen wins, tying an all time record with Indiana and Duke. So I mean, obviously he's doing things that the fan base wanted. You're beating Gonzaga, you're beating Louisville, you're beating Duke, you swept Tennessee. But you also hired a guy that's never won an NCAA tournament game. So I mean, if he were to go out in the first round, then yeah, I think there are some questions of is this guy can do it on the biggest stages. But if you're a fan that lives and breathes this stuff, you realize he talks to the fan base a different way, and that there is he had to put his roster together in two weeks. And you know, I can make excuses, but I think there's a difference between the Twitter troll waiting and the yeah and then a diehard BBN fan and looking at the direction of the program.
Speaker 1: You know, to me, the most fascinating part of all this is the loss of Jackson Robinson because when we were all sitting in here at various times, and Billy on your show and Aaron you wrote about it, we all thought Jackson Robinson would be to U. C. M. Newton's favorite expression, the bell cow, Jackson Robinson would be the man, the go to guy, the shoot, you know, all that stuff. And at times he was and was becoming a really nice player at this level. And then of course the injuries happened. People want to well, that's just a new no and you lose one of your best players. But there was that stretch where Andrew Carr was their best player and Amari Williams became their best player. But Lamont Butler is so crucial without him, I mean, forget it, forget it good, you know, always has been incredible. All of this is why they're so dangerous. But I just think it's been a really interesting sub story. You know, I agree, you know, it just it's just been fascinating watching this. I guess they're just growing. They are and what And I'm glad he brought it up today. And I think you've written about this where they've gone defensively, they were one of the worst in the country.
Speaker 2: They're playing not great, but so much fifty fifth yeah, and Ken Palm and they're like, I think bark Torvik has a way to like see since this date, and I think it's since February eighth, which was the South Carolina win, they're like fourteenth, Like that's a hell of And I know they gave up eighty three points on Saturday, which is by their standards not bad. But you go, like give it up to the Lexington kid Mark quiz war Like if that kid who for some reason only averages like twelve minutes a game at Missouri, even though he's like his points per forty, you're off the charts. He hit zero points in the first half if they and he had some contested ones too. Now if you take his numbers out, he scored seventeen the second half. I mean.
Speaker 1: That's like a fig downtown Columbia. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Against the top ten efficient offense. What they were able to do defensively, I mean Caleb Grill is a forty forty two percent three point shooter, their leading scorer. He held him to eight points on two makes from the field. And that's Colin Chandler and otego O Way now really impressive.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: And also the fact they missed nine of their first eleven shots versus Missouri and their defense kept them enough defense to stay in it. And then the freshman really contributed and it was a team effort. And not only is this team growing, but coach Pope is growing. Did you hear what he said about referees on the show tonight that it is What do you think of that? Well, he said it is okay to throw a tantrum sometimes, okay to lose your mind to get your point across, which makes sense. But I think it shows how he's grown a little bit because I think he was very, you know, very nice.
Speaker 1: I think it was fascinating what he said to lead that off, when he said he had decided that I'm going to do what was the hell did he put it? Not? Ignore the referees, but just not even worry about it, act like it's nothing. You know. However, we framed that, you know, he.
Speaker 2: Went into the year, He went into the year determined to just not even pay attention attention to him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then well that it sounded like he didn't want to answer the question at first, because he went into the what the what the name mark means?
Speaker 2: And like Warrior, I thought he was giving us the coach answer.
Speaker 1: And somebody who once studied Greek mythology, I like that.
Speaker 2: You know, you talk about Pope growing, you want to know something. He wouldn't really budge on it when he was asked about after the game. But you know, you notice what else he did in that Missouri game zone. Yes, but there's something else you tight rotation. Ah, yeah, you'll look at the second half box score. I don't have it in front of me, but I no, I think Kobe played eighteen minutes, o Taga played seventeen, Car played seventeen or eighteen. The only guy who didn't play of the starting lineup Butler played sixteen. The only guy in the starting lineup that didn't play sixteen or more was Omari, which you understand and really the only guy off the bench. Colin played eight minutes and he scored, had a three, got scored a bucket of the lane was shutting down Caleb Grill. Outside of that, I think Harrison played like three or four minutes in the second half and then No One, No Travis Perry, who to those of the guys credit, they made two three big plays combined in the first half. Perry with a three and then the steal to set up that stop and fast break turned into a dunk for UK and then no hit a three to get them out of the offensive slump. But he tightened the rotation down to seven in the second half and really mostly to five. He played his best guys against a really I mean, I know, Missouri's not playing great basketball right now, but a top ten of fishing offense in their home building with a ton of seniors on their senior day, and you know, they got the job done.
Speaker 1: I felt like that was more about defense, probably so, but Travis and and Noah, yeah they can be victimized.
Speaker 2: And I didn't.
Speaker 1: I didn't like the matchups defensively.
Speaker 2: Even though they were up. What I liked that he kept the rotation short is they were up and I know they ended up got down to five or whatever, but they were like fifteen. Yeah, and he still said, you know what, I'm playing my guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it was still learning the half and you saw like you said, and and you know what in today's game, man three pointers being with the other league and disappeared.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that again Henry Clay, Mark quz Wark take him out of the game. I mean mark.
Speaker 1: All time leading scorer.
Speaker 2: Again, if you're if there's any Missouri fans listening, beg them to play that kid more. Yeah, because he can really play.
Speaker 3: While we're speaking on growth, I've never seen a player change more than Amari Williams has.
Speaker 2: Oh, this game fantastic.
Speaker 3: And I want to pose this question to you. The SEC awards were and that was still a and otega Oway was the only guy awarded on the second team all sees. Do you feel like Amar was snow Yes?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, yeah, I mean I'm trying to find I wrote an article about I mean his again, you look past the points per game or rebounds per game, but it's per forty minutes that's are historic. And his rebounding numbers are like two off from Oscar She but he's National Player of the Year year.
Speaker 1: Plus every coach in the league who has played win or lose. I guess down in the second half of the season as mentioned Amari Williams.
Speaker 2: Because he played when yeah, he's running the point. He was running a point for them at seven foot so yeah, no, he was the one. Look Lamart and Jackson missed too much time. Not going to ripe on that none of the freshmen were Freshmen of the Year. Good no one maybe gonna make it a good case for All defensive team from a Mari, but I still think there were too many struggles there early in SEC play to win it there, but definitely should have been at least thirteam SCC. There's not fifteen better players than him in the SEC right now.
Speaker 1: I remember one year, and I'm not saying there's like an anti Cantucky biased but I think sometimes people just assume they're going to be good, or they got too many player whatever. I remember when you're in Kentucky won. Kentucky was like thirteen and five in the league or something like it lost only four conference games and won the league by three or four games and had one person just like this year on the second team or something, and you know, Joe B was like, what in the world are you all looking at? So that's not the first time, but I do agree with you.
Speaker 3: I think it's about right though. For Otega, I mean, yeah, he had this streak of twenty plus or ten double digit points and at times would disappear and at times just looked like it was outmatched at times, but also had a game winner. So like, yeah, it was very it isn't very important to this team.
Speaker 2: No, I agree. Oh wait, I didn't even realize it until I think yesterday always scored twenty points in the second Sorry, yeah, didn't feel like I mean, I guess he's at the lived at the free throw line late. But also that's another thing. This team has gotten way better at this free throw getting to the line, getting to the line and making Yeah, like they were I think sixty four percent as a team earlier this year and early in SEC played there were a couple of like the Georgia game they couldn't make one, and they've had two perfect performances at the line Vandy I think in LSU, yeah, and you know the Missouri game down the stretch, they would not miss when it mattered most so.
Speaker 1: He speaking of perfect games. Mario Williams doesn't get credit for that conference, and he had.
Speaker 2: A triple double the fourth thanks school history.
Speaker 1: You know mentioned Georgia game and that was during the storms that happened here. Yep, So I'm at home, got no power. So I actually I meet up with mister Biccoro. We go over to a spot to have somebody to en watch first half and I went with him back over to their TV station to watch the second half. Every time I think about that game, that's what that's my reaction. We're we're watching, were like, what the hell's going on?
Speaker 2: Yeah? That was the game where and Jackson turned on the light switch the next game, but that was the game Jackson looked like he just was mentally shot. Yeah, are we talking about Georgeorgia. So I'll pose a question, then, would you rather so they might plague Georgia Thursday? They might play Oklahoma? Both both those games were well, the Georgia games forgettable, but they're both memorable and in different ways. What would you rather see? What's the better storyline for Georgia. I'd rather see Georgia Oklahoma. Now, I so I Georgia is not Remember they're won like five in a row, so they're red hot. They'd beat Florida. I personally would rather play Georgia because I think one, you want to beat the team you lost toe, and two I think they matched a better. Oklahoma is like a scary matchup in the sense they have they can play five guys in the court that can shoot at all times. So well, that is not good for Kentucky. We saw they almost lost to it.
Speaker 1: Look what kind of performance from oh way it took to beat Oaklay exactly.
Speaker 2: They're not going to get that again, and no one was gonna play and again Oklahoma. Everyone could shoot on that team.
Speaker 1: And does it not mirror what happened with the women Georgia aymore killed in season and they moved heaven and earth to make sure they would never read them comfortable in that tournament game and everybody and she still had a good game. Everybody else was terrible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it would also be good. The thing that was really tough in that Kentucky game, not putting Jackson Robinson aside, was you know, Georgia has two beasts down low Newell. There's gonna be a lottery pick. And then Sampto Seerwill, the former UK commit And that was before Amari kind of turned that light switch to hey, I can bump around with these guys and not get called for it. And that was also the we're learning the whistle game, if you remember, right. So, I think now that those two things are kind of behind Kentucky and George. The fact George is hot, I think that would make it a really nice little challenge there. And George is also ranked number thirty in the net. So that's a quad one a win, you could add if the seating matters at all.
Speaker 1: The women also had a low post best to kill Kentucky. What were you gonna say? Why do you want Oklahoma?
Speaker 3: I just think Georgia is just so physical. They are such a problem for Kentucky. I know they've improved in that department and they've learned to guard without fouling. That's a big thing Goose talks about. Oh yeah, but let's say Amar gets two fouls in the first half. Yeah, and then you're playing against those two.
Speaker 2: Great point, because Oklahoma is a good BEG matchup because they play small.
Speaker 3: So and you know, that was such an emotionally charged game at Oklahoma you had a lot of homecomings with Otega and Brandon Garrisons, who probably both played out of their skin.
Speaker 2: But at the same time, I feel like Oklahoma.
Speaker 3: Probably played a little bit differently wanting to beat Kentucky at their home environment. So I mean, I like the parallel you put with the women's team because that was a great point, the cautious tale of you know, your players are just not going to score forty three again just because it's the same name scored like twenty three, right, Georgia was so long ago that you know, maybe that is the better matchup. But I saw them beat Oklahoma, Dick, So I'm going to say that I hope that they play Oklahoma again.
Speaker 2: I yeah, I think it's more so again since the again, if we're going to go back to this tournament doesn't matter. I'd like to see Kentucky have that challenge against the physicality of Georgia again and see how they handle it this time as opposed to on January eighth or whatever that was.
Speaker 1: That's fair where are you now?
Speaker 2: But it would be I think Oklahoma that would be the more exciting basketball game. But is Georgia what are they? The fourteen seeds? They are the eleven, eleven, Oklahoma's the fourteenth. Okay, oklahom Both of those two teams are playing great basketball exactly because Oklahoma's one. They just beat Missouri and then they went down and whipped Texas and then Georgia's won like for they beat Georgia, or excuse me, they beat Florida, and they've won Florida row since they beat Florida. A fruitless exercise. But where would you put Louisville in the SEC this year? Thirteenth? I think I think they're better than South Carolina. I think they're better than Texas. I think Kentucky. Texas is Kentucky's worst loss in my opinion. LSU definitely better than il SU, and so I guess. But I think Oklahoma's. The thing is, Oklahoma beat Louisville, and I think Oklahoma is better than louis so whatever that is. I don't know the methods, so better South Carolina. So I'd say thirteenth or fourth, whatever that is, thirteen, fourteen, twelfth, that range probably a little better than that, but not much. Yeah, I think Miss Louisville would be a good match. Well, miss killed Louisville in Louisville. Well, I'm saying now I know, but I think Old Miss would do it again. Maybe.
Speaker 1: So as we go to the break, what happened, What happens if Kentucky and Louisville play again, because everybody on that end of the interstate like, well, we.
Speaker 2: Love to play him now, you know Kentucky also that Kentucky. Oh, we don't have our guy now, So I think Kentucky would still beat him, though, I just do. Who knows, maybe they'll they'll set that up for us in the tournament as well.
Speaker 1: As Louisville is playing. They don't have an answer for a Mari.
Speaker 2: Williams, assuming he stays out of that's the big key.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well you better hope Kobe hits four threes, five threes at least, because sometimes this offense just has to not do anything unless Kobe's gonna make a shot or Amari gets hot down low.
Speaker 2: Well, that's how it just gets in the lake. That's another thing. Louisville. I'm not sure they have answers for Alway getting to the bucket. We saw it here and he's doing that better than he was earlier. Yeah, Chuckie just one defender of the year, and he's going to go guard the mont though. The Mon's not gonna score thirty three again, that's the one thing. La Mon's not gonna go ten for ten, especially with a bump shoulder.
Speaker 1: They just can't let Chucky at six straight threes, I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Chucky's an amazing defender, amazing.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, but watching was it Pitt? Oh yeah, he went off six possessions. Yeah, that was the greatest exhibition I've ever seen. I just happened to watch it on TV. Yes, I've never seen Steph Curry do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was nuts. That's what ACC games are. That's true exhibitions. North Carolina. Very goodbye.
Speaker 1: In on that, We'll take a break, come back and talk a little football. Mark Stoops pretty good mood today. Back in a minute on the state wide BBI final segment, Mark Stoops smiled the media today. Aaron, you said that one out because it is early in the spring, but you saw the video again, he he's fired up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the chip is back on his shoulder. That's huge and how could it not after the boy last year went And I kind of liked what he was talking about at how they're making sure this team bonds really, they really gel and bond, and they're doing this yearbook thing where they make sure they know everyone's face and name in the building. And they got to get back to the little stuff because clearly the little stuff bit them piece by piece last year.
Speaker 1: Believe in that, Billy, the yearbook approach me, you know you got because you know who did that. We were just talking to break was Patino when he got here. You know. But I've heard of other coaches doing this. All right, you guys, you say you're close. What's his sister's name?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: What does his father do for a living?
Speaker 3: That kind of staff, Well, that's a lot more than the basketball roster. You gotta do the football team ninety five guys, and the coaching staff.
Speaker 1: Well, with the football team, they're just like, what's his name? Where's he from?
Speaker 3: Right? Yeah?
Speaker 2: You know little remember the Titans esque?
Speaker 1: That's true? Yeah, good point.
Speaker 3: So you know, I'm fine. I'm fine with that, and I'm glad the energy's back it needs to be. But I'm just more worried about the schedule than you know, Kentucky's excitement for the season. Unfortunately, will we not be saying that from here on?
Speaker 2: With the sec we will but like Kentucky just if like, go look at Missouri, they lucked out. We're Kentucky. Just like it's like they got the biggest fu from Greg sank You. I mean they play out. They have no like now that Vandy's improved, there's not one game you could look at and be like, all right, who we got this team coming up next week?
Speaker 1: It is Aaron Gershan pushing the notion Greg Sanki hates Kentucky actually even though it's all done by a computer, it's programming.
Speaker 2: I'm not I'm just saying that's how it comes. They look again. And part of it too, though, is Kentucky caught a bad break and they fell down because South Carolina and Vandy would probably going into last year we felt pretty good about they both improved and Canentucky's digress has regressed. So part of it is that. But you know, you're talking Texas, you're talking Georgia. At Georgia, you're talking Florida, who's a lot better now Tennessee, who just doesn't matter if they stink or not, They're going to be Kentucky.
Speaker 1: So it's just we're not that far well Kentucky can beat Florida and Florida in Kentucky all.
Speaker 2: Over against That's where the place they're in right now. Welcome to the SEC. I like what they've done this offseason, but they it's not gonna like I understand. I feel like and my you know, our page views show it. This fan base is kind of like, I know what happens on September whatever when they kick off. There's just not that excitement there. I wonder what the crowd is gonna be like whenever they do the spring whatever.
Speaker 3: Well, it's good timing with that conspiracy theory, Aaron, because we're about to see the selection committee make TV matchups when Kentucky is the three in Arkansas, the Arkansas is the eleven and oh look, Saint John's is in the same brand Louisville.
Speaker 1: Do you think for a minute that doesn't happen.
Speaker 2: Of course, I think it does. Kentucky and Louisville they ended up I guess one was the final four, so they weren't in the same bracket. But what two years later they were playing each other in the Sweet sixteen or ely date whatever it was.
Speaker 3: But to expand on the football point, you might go to nine conference games soons, and you also might do a deal with the Big Ten where you're going to be playing an opponent every year.
Speaker 2: I do root for that though.
Speaker 3: Well if if that happens, goodbye to the Louisville game. That's right, that's the one that But because you need the free.
Speaker 2: One I want to see, Yeah you do. I want to see the Big.
Speaker 3: Ten and you want an extra home game, Like, if you're going to do the Louisville game, you've got.
Speaker 2: To when's the last I know, Kentucky used to play Indiana every year, But when's the last time Kentucky in a non Bowl setting played another power school team?
Speaker 1: Not it's been a while.
Speaker 2: That's why I like.
Speaker 1: But that'd get me exciting is you got a budget of one hundred and fifty million dollars and every home football game is worth zillions.
Speaker 2: And to give that up with that a guarantee on there for sure's you can't win at home. So I mean, why do you want home games? Hey? Then yeah, you look at this schedule too. Toledo beating SEC team last year, folks, that's game one, isn't it? Yes?
Speaker 1: Sir?
Speaker 2: Now is there starting running back? Revenge game? Revenge ship game? Same same as Brett, Brett, Kubick or Kobiek, whatever his name was.
Speaker 1: Aaron and Billy that said good night from Lexington
Speaker 3: H