Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jay Gonzale Sound Fox Sports fourteen fifty powered by Nova Insurance Services and Sure Your Most Prized Possessions, kt z R two SAD and iHeartRadio Station.
Speaker 2: Hey, good afternoon, everybody. Welcome to Eye on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Roberta. He's jagin zaus got a guy Ryan with us today. Happy he been back. Jay, I know you missed me. Thanks for the cake.
Speaker 3: Well, I had some cake at the at the at the press or did you have something because that was for you? Everybody ate it. Everybody had something. You didn't have something that's on, that's on.
Speaker 2: You snooze to me.
Speaker 3: I had something. It was good.
Speaker 2: We did not Yeah, I didn't even see it. Did you have a nice sand which with That's how we spent that sandwich.
Speaker 3: I had a I had never had one before, but I had a Portobella mushroom which was really good. I thought it was a piece of meat, That's why I got it and turned out as a mushroom. But what am I gonna do?
Speaker 2: Ice checked soon, Well, there was okay, there was there was a you know, it was a buffet thing, and there was the Portabello mushrooms.
Speaker 3: Then there was a thing a chicken. Next for us, I thought chicken steak, chicken steak, right, chicken and beef right right, But it was not beef. It was. It was Oh that was a flat thing. Yeah, it was a portabello mushroom.
Speaker 2: Well, it's funny because I thought it was a steak too. I thought it was like I thought it was like an ugly steak.
Speaker 3: Well I did to. I thought it was it almost looked like carnah right right. It was a mushroom.
Speaker 2: Oh, funny.
Speaker 3: It was still good. I never had one of those. I thought it was just overcooked. Well, Garna saw it turns to be you know.
Speaker 2: No, I just thought whatever, it was overcooked because it was dark.
Speaker 3: It's good. It was still good, you know. You know. Then we had the you know, the cold cut sandwich and some data salad. Well that eating was for not, I mean, or not for not.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have an interview with Coach Brennan his press Prescotts opening. It was kind of odd to me. You thought only in a sense said it was. You had ten minutes it rehashed a bunch of stuff ten minutes and then we talked to the assistants if you wanted to, uh not like in the years past when they kind of bring them to us and we can go to them. And yeah, but it's so formal formal media days.
Speaker 3: There is no media day anymore. It's morphed into this. Yeah, you know. They they did their other player photos and stuff like that for you know, other media, and didn't invite us go talk to any of the players. Right, who was that yesterday? Last week? Okay, last week? They posted on social media? You know me, it's media day and like there's no media there for who you football? Yeah, but who was the media? What was it for? It was? It was for them to go what they normally do, you know, because normally media day is their photo day. Sure, so they still called it media day, but it was no photo media. There was no media that. Yeah, there's no media. And then we got this ten minutes with with Brent Brennan and then the the assistant coaches there. Had a fun conversation with with Dwayne and Quina. We're having some technical issues getting our clips into into our computers here so we can play those for you. But as soon as they're hopefully by after our first guest, we'll have them in and we'll play you the full Brent Brennan that it is our first guest. Oh, that was our first Well hopefully then by the three fifteen, by three fifteen they'll be in. So we're crossing our fingers, but it's possible we might not have it at three fifteen and maybe the third segment also had got about got a few minutes for Duyne Aquina to preview that conversation. I will say that, my you, we've talked about how every ten win Arizona season has been followed by a less than stellar season, and something that Dwayne Naquina said in this and I will play for you sort of made me feel a whole lot better about that whole thing. So we'll play that at some point and you'll you'll hear what he had to say.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, I was there for some of it, and no, it was kind of refreshing because a lot of the guys have been through that already because they were here before. You know, they were here with Arizona at the time. Yea, including cooking right right, Okay, So, and then in the second hour found Frank Bush he's not in town, but he's not at the Olympics either. He's in the States and he's going to join us. I thought we talked a lot about the Olympics, and obviously his experience, his part, his experience, and then you know, if there's a guy who really enlightened us to the nil and the things that were upcoming. Member in his last week was very refreshing and very honest of what we were going to expect.
Speaker 3: He's been spot off.
Speaker 2: He's been spot on and what we're going to expect with people or kids making a ton of money, and it's a business, and he wouldn't be surprised if it turns into it. At least that's what the case was a few months ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it is, you know, I mean the more you talk about it, you know, I keep listening to stuff and hearing stuff about you know, the whole revenue sharing aspect. Of the latest thing now that you're hearing is how are they going to resolve the Title nine issue? Because what Title nine says is that there have to be as many scholarshists for men as for women, But it makes no mention of revenue sharing. Because revenue sharing was not a part of anything. When Title nine came around, You've got some people saying that that Title nine applies to revenue sharing and some who say it doesn't, and that it doesn't because the money that brings in revenue generally doesn't involve women's sports, and in fact, they shouldn't have to. You know that that football and basket men's basketball should get the lion's share of the revenue sharing and then whatever left over goes to the other sports who don't bring in any money.
Speaker 2: You know what, I see a big lawsuit after this. Yes, because I talked about this with you before, your dad or a mom of a woman, lacrosse player, soccer player, little little little Janis workshire but off just as much as everybody.
Speaker 3: Else, right, And that's what you're gonna hear, you gonna hear. Well, wait a minute, you know there's Look, there's are good arguments on both sides. Because the argument about, look, football brings in all the money, it makes sense to give the money to the people who bring in the money. That's I mean, that's what NI l and and revenue sharing is all about. To pay the people who bring in that money. Well, there's only two sports that bring that in and in some in in some places there's only one sport that brings that in, and it's like, okay, who gets who gets that? So that's the kind of thing where you know that's out there now, that's the sort of the the front of the conversation. And you're right, whatever's decided initially is going to is going to result in a lawsuit. Or maybe they just might say, you know what, let's just get this into the courts now and figure it out, or or Congress is gonna have to do something.
Speaker 2: Sure, No, this is this is a weird time we're living in. And in terms of sports, Uh, this is one of my concerns back in the day. If little Johnny's getting money, little Janis needs to get money too. Yeah, uh, she's working just as hard. Everybody thinks they're the stuff. We had Geist and we had our Diver. They were the face of the program, Yeah, the entire program because of their success they were.
Speaker 3: But but but nobody even knew your face. Right. But also you know they weren't bringing in any real.
Speaker 2: No of course not, of course not. But they were bringing in there positive visibility, right right, They're bringing in ability.
Speaker 3: How much right, how much is that worth? Right? So, and nobody's saying they shouldn't get any of it. They're just saying, what's the you know, how do you do how do you break it up? How you do?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: Coming out of the SEC SEC media days, you know the coaches that you know, again, this is all from uh you know, I listened to the Pat forty UH, Dan Wetzel UH Ross Dellinger UH podcast and Ross Stalinger is like he's like the On Wilmer of the country as it relates to all this business of sports. Rosstandre was saying that the the SEC coaches are saying that football should get ten to twelve million of the twenty two million that they're saying they're gonna have to share in revenue basically half or more, and that the rest goes to everybody else. And but then you're gonna say, well, basketball should get a bunch of that because they're making money. Yeah. I don't know if they'll tie it to you know, revenue or whatever. Because look, women's basketball at Arizona brings in revenue, right don't they make? Are they profitable? But they are bringing in revenue because they're they're selling seven thousand tickets a game.
Speaker 2: They're less death that they used to be.
Speaker 3: Right, you know, softball, you know they get twenty two thousand fans per game. Baseball gets two thousand fans per game, three thousand and four thousand, whatever. But they're still not profitable, right, So all that's got to get figured out. And so I you don't I don't want to have to be the one to do it. Somebody has to because I think revenue is going to have to be shared starting with the twenty twenty five twenty six season, So not this season, but next.
Speaker 2: Well, let's see what they come up with, because I definitely think that the guys that are.
Speaker 3: Going to make a lot of money for the lawyers.
Speaker 2: Rights they as they usually do, as they always do. It's just a strange time. And is there a right answer.
Speaker 3: Probably not, but there has to be an answer that there has to be an answer solves all the legal issues so that we can move on and let college athletics be college athletics in whatever form it is. Yeah, because we all know it's not it's not our old college athletics that's you know, that's gone by the wayside.
Speaker 2: Sure it's something different, Yes, it's not even not even my old college your stepdad. Yeah, it's just Christy times.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: We're still trying to get desirat in talk about all this.
Speaker 3: It sounds like we're a ways away for it will be a while before we're ways away from that.
Speaker 2: There's no real answer away, And what can people say? I really can't tell you, Jay, because I don't know.
Speaker 3: We don't know well, you know, in the in the in the press conference today, you know, Mike Michael lev asked Brent Brandan about the one hundred and five one hundred and five player limit that's gonna get that's coming about as part of the House versus n C double a settlement, and he said, we do. We've worked with one hundred and one players anyways. The difference is all one hundred and five can get scholarships now, you know, and then that's another topic of discussion. Okay, are you going to give a hundred five scholarships? You know? What about player number one oh five, who's essentially a walk on probably is not going to play or if you play, if he plays, I talk about football, If he plays, he's not gonna play till the senior year. After he's worked his way up in which he would have gotten a scholarship maybe because you know, he did the work and all that kind of stuff. Are you are you going to give a four year scholarship to a player who would otherwise have been a walk on? And can you afford to do that? There's twenty people, twenty athletes that you're talking about funding with scholarships that probably that would not have gotten a scholarship.
Speaker 2: And how do you look at it? Uh, if you're Arizona knowing I'm already broke, right, I'm already broke, and this is being thrown at me because I have.
Speaker 3: To because I have I have to now, right. But but but see they're not saying you have to give one hundred and five scholarships. But but there's the limit. But that's the limit. But what they are what they are still saying, though, is that for every scholarship you give to a male athlete, you gotta get one too.
Speaker 2: Do you We talked about this before. I'm assuming, uh sports will be come into play, will be coming into play sports, Uh, their availability or diminished or demise right right?
Speaker 3: Well, that's it. And that's the other thing, you know, the house again, the lawsuit in the Saddle does get leave the door open for schools in order to meet the funding requirements? It says, yes, you can eliminate sports if you want to. Who's going to want to do that? Yeah, that's a tough that's a tough one. Right, you start eliminating sports because because you're giving X amount of money to the athletes. How's the average fan take? How does a parent take that? Who's groomed their kid to be a softball player or a track athlete or a golfer, and now that sport has gone from their school.
Speaker 2: We've seen it a number of times, at least I have too. Like in New Mexico with soccer, the programs were survived or or or put up or kept up through donors donations from.
Speaker 3: That's what happened in Stanford, right. Remember remember they were going to eliminate I think like seventeen sports. They eliminated seventeen sports, and the donors came back and said, who wha, whoa get those things back, will give you the money, And they did.
Speaker 2: And Stanford is known for those sports. Right, That's how they become because.
Speaker 3: That's its identity as a as an athletics It's not identified by the fact that it went to what a couple of rose bowls, you know, in the in the two thousands. They're identified by the fact that from an Olympic sports standpoint, they're far and far and away the best one in the country.
Speaker 2: I think over time, you know, we're in our whatever, we're in the sixties, in the next four or five years, you're going to see this whole thing even worse, with fewer teams, fewer teams, fewer sports. Yeah, and more changes, because you know, here's the this is just the beginning, right, they're going to make more changes.
Speaker 3: Well again, I read that, I read you that quote from Kyle Whittingham that he apparently he said a big twelve media day that I don't know that I haven't heard of this, but it was a it was apparently an interview with with Jogi Roth where Whittingham said in the next twenty months to four or five years. This isn't the quote because I'm looking for it, but essentially said there's going to be He's called it two super leagues, and he said you better be on the right side of that or you're going to get left behind. That part of it is a quote, you know, okay, and you asked the question immediately, Okay, how many are in the super League? Is it here? Here? Here's his quote. This was to Yogi Roth and we got to get out of here. My guess is there are going to be two super leagues within the next twenty months to four or five years, and you better be on the right side of that line in the sand when that is drawn, because everyone else is going to be left behind. No Ques. And he's talking about college.
Speaker 2: Football, right right? So twenty five thirty was it?
Speaker 3: Forty? The fifty?
Speaker 2: Right? Right? So each side or is it is that?
Speaker 3: Is that the is that all the power for schools?
Speaker 2: Right right?
Speaker 3: Right? Right? But that includes you know, the Vanderbilts.
Speaker 2: And that's the set's like sixty five seventy.
Speaker 3: It's sixty five sixty sixty five teams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so okay, and how do you get how do you get on the right side?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Right? Yeah? Who do yeah? How do you cannot make those truth? Well, Arizona, Arizona just better be damn good whenever that.
Speaker 2: Happened, right, So they cannot avoid not right right right? Okay, So let's get out of here.
Speaker 3: Maybe we have uh We're hoping to have the Brent Brandon clip ready for you. If not, we'll talk through it and hope it's ready in the last hour of this in last segment of this hour, so stick around.
Speaker 4: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Frowsy aisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for ready to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your love. Find a location near you at the window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three.
Speaker 3: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 5: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 6: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading.
Speaker 3: Edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 6: On twenty second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 7: It's awards season for summer sports leagues and time to look at trophies for baseball, softball, volleyball, and swimming seasons for youth and adult leagues. Summer has arrived and it's time to replenish your promotional products for your company's giveaways. Keep your employees looking great in fresh new apparel, polos and caps with your sharp looking logo. Creative Awards is here to serve your professional and promotional products needs. Visit their Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Drackman Street or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 8: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's Volpe team dot com or call five two oh six one eight five six two six today in MLS three oh eight seven arizon A BKO Ninez two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity, got commitment to Lyndrix, syn credit rates and available loan programs or subject to change with up nubice.
Speaker 5: Did you know sports cards at Memorabilia are setting record sales last month of nineteen fifty two tops Mickey Mantles for twelve point six million, Lebron James Rookie so for five point six Also collecting cards is a family fun hobby that can be very profitable. If you want to start a collection or expand your collection, check out Showtime Cards. They are one of the leading card shops in the country that have served our local community for twenty five years. They are located on e Speedway. That's Showtime Cards.
Speaker 9: Ready to save but not sure where to begin? Take the Pyramid Federal Credit Union ten thousand dollars Saving Challenge and we'll guide you along the way. Save five hundred dollars over six months as a member and.
Speaker 3: You could win big.
Speaker 9: Watch your savings grow to help you reach goals like buying a car, owning a home and more. Visit Pyramid FCU dot com Slash ten k challenge to get started today.
Speaker 10: That really insured and see you way. Guid bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. Tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on me let. Arizona past Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, Bees or Rodents serving Tucson and southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypast dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 1: Breaking down all the exes at all. It's Steve Rivera and Jagen Salvias. This is I on the ball on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back, joining the ball. You know Fox Sports forteen Steve, you or Jay and he's noisy Ryan. All right, excuse excuse of right beans today, no ectu.
Speaker 3: Here's movies his microo. Look, you know what, who knows you?
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 3: It's okay. I heard a few comments about our uheber what goes on in a physical conversation that we had the other day. I remember that when we were talking.
Speaker 2: About oh yeah, how we describe it and.
Speaker 3: To turn your head and cough thing. Ye yeah, just just that, just that whole conversation that was like, what are you talking about? Well they didn't know well no, no, no, they knew it, but they're just saying, like you guys. That was fun That's the best he could do that day. That was funny though. That was pretty funny. A couple of people that I told we had that conversation they said, you did not. Yeah, we have a less of jobs because you didn't talk. Yeah, we did talk about it at late. The whole segment was like spent on that to do it right, and we started it up again.
Speaker 2: No, no, okay, cool, cool, I'm going to be back with you guys. We have football starting officially today, but tomorrow, right.
Speaker 3: Practice starts tomorrow. Okay. I have to crrack something because I was asking Jeff bo the s idea about this, because I've been saying practices are open to the public. Well, some are, some aren't. I said, is tomorrow's first practice open to the public, and he said, we don't know yet, so don't listen to us as far as that goes or will when we know, we know, and we'll let you know. But I would not show up at nine o'clock tomorrow or nine thirty whatever time it is, or their practice tomorrow unless you hear somewhere else, either in the Arizone Daily Star or you know on on u of a social media that practice is open. They were just said some will be some or not and they haven't hadn't decided on tomorrows. Well just say though, so if you if you show up don't say what Jay Gonzales and I on the Boss said, we could come over. Don't do that right, okay, yeah, yeah, so you're not hearing it from us. Yeah, so anyway, so we warned you and it's gonna be hot anyway.
Speaker 2: Do you today? We didn't I didn't ask anything anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we didn't. Oh, only about six questions. Yeah, it was very cool.
Speaker 2: Quick. We had ten minutes and you'll you'll hear it once we get it. And I'm thinking, God, here we are almost August first another season. Are are we ready?
Speaker 3: Are they ready?
Speaker 2: Because in a month it's gonna happen, not that it's ready, it's ready, is not that thing? It just happened so quickly, didn't They just announced him? Yeah, five months ago.
Speaker 3: It seems like it's it's been fast, and you know, we were talking about that and even even you know, in the press confertor saying, it just doesn't seem like you've been here all that long, and and he hasn't. It feels like he has, but there feels like he hasn't. Right, We're still talking about jet fish from time to time and and all that stuff. But it's been a whirlwind and and you know, and and it's here. Part of it is because all this conversation we've had all summer long about going to the Big twelve and all this kind of stuff, that it's here and we're talking about it, and we spend some time talking about, you know, what the move to the Big twelve might be like for Arizona. Uh, you know going into this season. You know, you know, Greg ran through all the all the the the attendance figures at the very stadiums. Yeah, and and you know saying, you know, their stadiums are full. When Arizona goes on the road, they're gonna go They're gonna go be playing in full stadium. Right.
Speaker 2: Well, they're good. They're college towns, right about their college you know. And I was talking to the new guy from Albuquerque in New Mexico, their linebacker coach.
Speaker 3: Uh, tell me his name, Danny Gonzalez. I don't know, I couldn't remember that. Is he an?
Speaker 2: He's an not a Z right? I think he's so, says in Gonzales.
Speaker 3: Which yeah, people people Gonzales within and Gonzales with. I've been both, but I'm technically Gonzales with no people spend all the time of course, you know the Comcast. I'm Gonzales with a Z with no no no, no, no no.
Speaker 2: Okay, So so we're talking about it.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Some of the schools in the West, like Tucson is a college town, right, hasn't been a good college town. Depends on the day, depends on the game. But there are very few of them. And he was kind of the list. Albuquerque is a college town, but it has n't backed his football program because it's not any good. Give me some good college football programs.
Speaker 3: In the West. In the West, Oregon b yu okay, b y u e yu in Utah, Oregon is a good Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he didn't include Utah. You don't because they have.
Speaker 3: Oh they're Salt Lake City. They're a big city, right, you're right, okay, but b y u is one boulder, I say bolder, right, Okay, Yeah. Give that's a fun that's a fun road trip. That's a really fun road trip. But because even though you go in and out of Denver, you get over the boulder and you feel like they're in a place like kind of like TuS On, but no, around the around the Pac twelve, they're all big cities or you know, or Corvallis is kind of no, that's that's that's going to washing. The same thing with Washington State. It's just out in the middle of nowhere and there's not a lot there. All the other ones, you know, then you got two sons, and all the other ones are big cities. Seattle, the you know, the Bay Area are you know, Berkeley and and and San Francisco. They they're lost in the shuffle. The l A schools, Phoenix and Phoenix and all that stuff. So yeah, no, they they and yet those are all college times. We're talking still Water, Waco, Lubbock. Uh uh, Well, Houston's a big city and so and and and you know, in our conversation with gregs hey talked about the fact Houston is the one big one of the big cities in in the Big twelve, and their attendance is what the others are. TCU is the same way. You know, they're they're fort Worth, but they're technically Dallas, right, the Dallas Fort Worth metroplex. So they get kind of lost in the shuffle. But everybody else is in its own, its own little place. The two Kansas schools, Iowa stayed, all of those are in their own kind of their own little their own little deal. So no, it's uh, it's gonna be different, and I think it's gonna be fun. I mean, I'm gonna like watching the game where the fans are into it and it's a big game. Yeah, you know, no question.
Speaker 2: And it's gonna like I heard you and Judge and Greg on the radio when I was coming back from from home, very interesting. It's gonna be tough. But like you said, and you asked some of the guys, I'd rather play in front of that than in front of in front of ten, fifteen, twenty thousand people.
Speaker 3: But what goes the crap? No, absolutely, and I think the I think the players do too. Yet, Yes, it's hard, but it's harder if there's nobody there.
Speaker 2: Nobody gives the well, hey, i'll give you an example Arizona basketball. Yeah, when they can't play in front of ten fifteen thousand or not ten, I'm sorry, three or four when the stadium fits fifteen the day notoriosty don't show up right. I mean, I can give you history.
Speaker 3: We've seen it all that. We've seen it all the time. They lost some of those horrible.
Speaker 2: And that's sad to say that they can't get up for a game like that. But that's.
Speaker 3: There's nothing you can uh, you know, there's no denying that that's what happened.
Speaker 2: That's why I think let me let me say this, and then we talked about this before. Home home court advantage, home field advantage, home court advantage. Specifically, you say only have it, No, only for Arizona games, only for Arizona game, but even what is that advantage?
Speaker 3: Well, but because you know, you go to a UCLA game, ucl Arizona game at Polly, there's a lot of Arizona fans. Yeah, right, right, So what's the advent? Right, So there's not that much of an advantage.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna say that you can go round the lead maybe Oregon, but when they was at they had a serious home court.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think, and there's nowhere else. Well again, Maple's back in the day, the Mike Montgomery days and those that was that was incredible, hurt.
Speaker 2: Okay, So they give you a don't have a home court advantage, and I'll give you something that I've said on the show.
Speaker 3: I think it does.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I don't disagree with that to a degree. But when I was talking to Mike Montgomery for the book. He said, Steve, it's tough, but they also have pretty damn good play.
Speaker 3: Well, yes, the home court advantage had a lot to do with the players.
Speaker 2: The players, because are them damn good? You have to you don't solve for the crowd. You saw for Richard Jefferson, you saw for you saw for that, right right, No, no doubt. Use they'd rather play in front of the fifteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but how many how many times did they want to game though, Steve, you know, a tight game or a game against a really good team where he said the crowd had a lot to do.
Speaker 2: Oh sure, well, I was gonna say a bad word. Dudes like us, what do we know? We're normal dudes, Right, Well, we would assume that, Yeah, we would assume that the guys are saying, I'm just better than the.
Speaker 3: Guy okay likes well for instance, one that sticks out to me that just came to my mind talking about that that Florida game, right, Okay, yeah, that game. I mean, yes, they won that because of the players, but that place was nuts and I felt, I truly felt that at the end of that game, Florida got rattled by the crowd that it got so loud in there that there was no way you could concentrate, and they were throwing crappy passes and things happened, and Arizona comes back and wins that game. A couple of those dupe games. I think of the you know, there was the Matt muelboch Uh you know, where he'd saved a pass under the basket and all that stuff and they you know, they beat and they beat Ducas ninety one or ninety two. There was the eighty eight Duke Festival Classic game. You know a few of those games where you feel like, okay, the crowd had as much to do with that as the players on the court or close to it.
Speaker 2: Right, they helped, They helped, it helped, right, I think that's the best. Right they were helped in on twelfth man, six round or whatever they got. No, I don't disagree with that, because it's hard to ignore better better then than not that, right.
Speaker 3: You know? I think of that game where a zone was living went by eighteen points to U. C. L A. You know, and remember that the sealing was that's the seline start of my game, you know where you hit the hit the shot from the top of the floor. No, I think that was a different game. That was a different game. But anyway, they came back from eighteen points.
Speaker 2: Now it was the chase buddingers foot stomp. Yeah, they were down by eighteen. They come back and beat Houston. But it took it took h It took something like that like that to get the crowd tack right right. And Arizona, let me say this, they're they've been there forever. They know basketball, right, They're not dummies. They they know what they're seeing.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Uh, they're a little fickle, but but they're there very but they're there.
Speaker 3: They're very Yeah, but uh, you know so. But you know, it's I think it's a it's a thing where you know, it's gonna change. It's gonna have to change not only Arizona Football's approach to league play, it's gonna have to change the fans approach. Sure, right first, you know, if fans go follow them on the road, right, you got to be prepared to be in some really possible environments.
Speaker 2: You talked to them a little about that yesterday. I think you did. Uh so, And I'm gonna be the whitest Steve Hate Arizona's go ahead. Uh, did you know they don't travel? Well, it's the it's the plane and the team, right, and that's who because you know you've been on one of those as well.
Speaker 3: No, here's the deal. Arizona fans travel well to the LA schools because well, they have a lot of right there, there's a lot of fans there. Plus it's it was, it's always been easy to get there. But beyond that, well, you're right, Arizona doesn't travel.
Speaker 2: And you know that football and you know this because you cover the basketball time or two. Uh, Arizona when they go to Stanford, they go to LA or they travel, Well.
Speaker 3: No, they don't.
Speaker 2: They have a lot of alums in those places, right, right, they have a lot of lums yeah, who buy tickets.
Speaker 3: To buy tickets and go yeah. Yeah, And that's going to be a big difference. And there's a difference at these schools because they're not. There aren't a lot of Arizona lums in in Waco, exactly. No, that's it.
Speaker 2: That's it, because they're not. They're not in Waco, they're not in Lawrence, they're not in Lubbock, in Manhattan, they're not still Water and that's a big difference because in San Francisco, there are in Salt Lake, there are in the West. They state West right for the jumps.
Speaker 3: Right, I don't think that. I don't think you can underestimate how big of a of an impact all that's going to have when Arizona does hit the road, which is why you know, you and I went through the schedule and we picked them losing four games. We picked them losing four games on the road, you know, all on the road. I think I might have had them in nine and three. I don't remember, but you know, but we had them losing in Central Florida, had them losing I think at TCU Utah and in Kansas State. Maybe not. TCU was the one. I thought, Okay, maybe they can win that one. But I don't see how. I don't see how they go win at Kansas State in Utah. I you know, maybe they they're they're good. They're so good that we don't know how good they are that they go win one of those two games, and if they win both, Steve, I'm never gonna hit the ground when I come walking.
Speaker 2: In well, wait a second, wait a second, I'm gonna use some of the Jay Gonzales theory. Okay, so they win the two and we talked to the media, talked about that with with Gonzales today and and a keen Right, if that happens, now you know why it happens. Why they get beat in games they shouldn't get beat because what do you just say, You're gonna come on and clay either think a lot of yourself, right, I guess what happens after that boom? You get your hittude?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, but you know, for counting wins based on you know, looking at the schedule, now, it's good and those are two that we mostly have as losses. That they win those two games, there's a margin for error down the road.
Speaker 2: It beats the alternative. Dere's how it does. And then you do kind of think, oh, look at me, look at me?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I guess you say you'd rather be four or more than too and two? Right? No, no, I'll give you.
Speaker 2: I'll give you this because we were there too. Where to go, slink? Where's the first two rounds in selk before they went to lay You're thinking, okay, we got through the first two rounds, which was great because you hadn't gotten through Tommy suffered, and then you're thinking highly of yourself and then you got Clemson. Then okay, and what do you and what are you thinking when you got Clemson?
Speaker 3: This is easy? We got this? Yeah right, yeah, we shouldn't lose to Clems exactly.
Speaker 2: How many times your lifetime?
Speaker 3: What's the title of that all the time? Here we go again? Yeah, something like that, because you know how many times you saying stuff different day.
Speaker 2: How many times you have to get hit in the head to understand, Oh, we went through it again, we did it again.
Speaker 3: I know, I know.
Speaker 2: There's no pill for it.
Speaker 3: There is no pill for it. I mean, you just gotta you know, you gotta suck it up and go do.
Speaker 2: It and just say I'm tired of this.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, and that's part of the conversation I had with with with with a keen of today. And I really want to play that clip for people as soon as we can get that in there, because you'll understand, you know, from where we sit, or from where I sit as a as a fan, you know, I'm I'm skeptical of this. I'm excited for this coming season. I have expectations of this coming season, but I'm also like, what always happens is this, and what always happens is that Arizona doesn't have a good season after a good season, right, and so we'll see what happens. But I like what a Keina had to say about that because he was here for two of those, right, and and it was he had an interesting perspective on it. And uh, we'll play the clip. I might have to explain it after the clip or I'm gonna want you to hear it. Okay, we're gonna take our next break. Sorry, we didn't get the Brent Brennan on this seg this segment, we're hoping to have him ready for the next segment, but we're going from segment to segment. If it looks like we're not gonna have him next segment, maybe are you ready for breaking news?
Speaker 11: Yeah? I got the Olympics.
Speaker 3: Okay, we might maybe well if if if during the break we don't get those clips up, maybe we do breaking news and don'tfully have the clips ready for the four o'clock second. All right, so stick around, we'll play this as it goes. You're right back.
Speaker 2: If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludolsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one Email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 12: Hi, this is formal while get Leman huntly with Arizona Health. Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, in your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space in your life. We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gms in free rate equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians with set you out with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our shure room today at twenty second in Wilmot. Arizona Health the lead edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 7: What's your goal? A new career or career advancement. How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from in financial laid available, It's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you.
Speaker 3: Learn how at Pima dot edu. Slash Someday.
Speaker 1: Streaming live on the iHeartRadio app. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rabera and Jay Gonzalez on Fox Sports fourteenth fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to win the ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve j. And now we have Ryan with breaking news.
Speaker 1: They says the breaking news on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 11: All right, before we get into some Olympic news, I will start with u of a softball. They signed red shirt junior from Oregon State, Kiki Escobar.
Speaker 3: Well position, she's she is second basically, so they have.
Speaker 2: A few new people from all over Washington.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they got to catch it from Washington. A picture from where I don't remember, Iowa State, I think, or something like that. But you know, on top of recruits and stuff like that. Again, it's a year to your thing, right, you know, for for all the teams you know that you've got to turnover in baseball, all the you know, all the you know, it's like, okay, let's start the season. Whoever's there. That's that's what you talk about, because it's a yeah, big deal. All right, Let's.
Speaker 11: Go over to the Olympics for US. Some US news. So someone Biles in the US women's gymnastics team brought home the gold today.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, Uh, she had a pretty good day. I started watching that this morning before I had to leave for some interviews and stuff.
Speaker 11: I haven't been able to watch much of it, but I just see like clips here and there how they've done.
Speaker 3: And man, there was a brazil uh gymnasts who took a fall off the uneven bars, one of those where she you know, went up and flipped up in the air and she just missed the bar, hit the bad hard. It's amazing that they do.
Speaker 2: And then that's the same thing, the timing and all that and if you're off crap.
Speaker 3: There were a couple I think in the in the men's yesterday, you know, and the Chinese are always really good, you know, the men's Chinese are always really good. And a couple of their guys, you know, fell off the high bar, which.
Speaker 2: Well USA's guy, the guy, the roper, I can't remember. He's from the good the best guy had a tough first day. Yeah, but they still qualified and then they finished, and then they got the Bronx got Theron. But yeah, and then you get hurt like crazy.
Speaker 3: Man, can you imagine, you know, I remember, you're gonna laugh. The first sport that I covered as a reporter, well, I wasn't even report yet. I was just a sports a part time sports correspondent, basically an intern covered high school sports. I had to cover high school gymnastics. Remember the first gymnastics meet I went to. I couldn't believe how built, Oh the boys high school gymnasts were. I mean, they had incredible body and I'm like, wait, you don't they didn't even look like they were in high school, right, and they were good. You know, Yoichi Tomida we've had on the show, and he you know, he can't he had come he came to Tuson around that time and he, you know, he was coaching, and man, they were really.
Speaker 11: Good US women's rugby. They fell twenty four to twelve to New Zealand, but they did win the bronze medal and a stunning comeback against Australia.
Speaker 3: Today, I watched that play. It showed up on my on my Twitter feed, and there was one of those you know where they pile up and then they get the ball and tossed it and this US woman just trucked trucked an Australian tackler and just and busted out into the open. It was a long run. It was like you know, in I don't know what the length of the field is in a rugby field, but it was like it would have been like an eighty yard run on a football field and scored make they kicked the the extra point and they win the game and they get the bronze. Awesome. It was a great play. Go look for it on Twitter because you go, Okay, somebody, somebody needs to put her in their backfield and college football team.
Speaker 11: I saw something on Twitter yesterday about the Cowboys like, oh, the need to sign her. She's she's built.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and she was fast.
Speaker 11: Oh yeah, she was fast.
Speaker 3: It was great, it was it was a great play to watch.
Speaker 11: Sucker. Men's quarterfinal matchup has been set. They're going to kick off Friday against excuse me, Gus Morocco at nine am Eastern time. They were able to get there from defeating Guinea three today.
Speaker 3: Okay, there you go, Stave. Men's soccer is in it. I you know, I thought maybe you know more, but I thought this was the men's national team. It's not. It's a it's a I guess. Olympic soccer is basically twenty three U. Yeah, and I was told this and that you're allowed to have one person above the age limit, but otherwise it's the twenty three team. Yeah.
Speaker 2: They they place. I don't even know where they're playing. They must be playing so far in Paris, but away from Paris. So many, so many teams and not enough about facilities. Yeah yeah, cool, cool.
Speaker 11: It doesn't say where they're where they're playing at.
Speaker 2: You have men's volleyball.
Speaker 11: Let's see men's volleyball. Yeah they did. They lost?
Speaker 2: Yeah the chase fighting, yeah, change chase fighting was that the Netherlands.
Speaker 3: Who then lost two one two nothing? But was it to zero to zero. So they got smoked, right, they got smoked. Just yesterday, I was saying, how great they looked at How is anybody going to beat this game? Jay? That tells me how much.
Speaker 2: No, Jay, let's remember it's July thirtieth. Football starts in a month.
Speaker 3: Stay in your length.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I shouldn't be giving you advice. But just because the team played well one doesn't mean they're gonna play well the next week. I've told you this many times.
Speaker 3: Well, I watched him, and I made the comment to my son, Adam, who follows all the sports, right, I said, I said, don't believe he knows. My daughter said that. I say, he's six seven, got these long arms, he can jump out of the building. Said, I don't know how how you beat that? And she goes, everybody's got one of those. No, she's right, Rachel, Yeah, very smart, your dad. Everybody has one of those. All the good teams have that.
Speaker 2: And she's exactly right. I mean, yeah, yeah, and they have maybe two or three of them.
Speaker 3: Well, she kind of added that the other guy on his team isn't really really isn't all that good, which I don't know that. I don't know she knows it more than better than I.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's not they became a little bit qualifiers. It must be quite decent. So you went from really high and liking to see to the other guy's not so good.
Speaker 3: I don't know about.
Speaker 2: But you can pick how you go on too really good.
Speaker 3: I had fun. He was really good. I had fun watching it. I was sound Greg and Ryan yesterday. It was really cool because you know, you know, they showed his they did his bio, they showed him in his Arizona basketball and then you know the Rockets basketball and all that stuff. Yeah. No, he's a good story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's got to do he's got to win it or be get a medal from it, making it a really good story. I've tried to track him down before all this, before he left.
Speaker 3: He didn't respond to me.
Speaker 11: I wasn't here, by the way, said Ryan yesterday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Ryan, Oh Ryan Donnar. Oh yeah, I guess yesterday. Okay, I just wanted to correct you cause you were wonder it wasn't that Ryan.
Speaker 11: Let's see basketball, men's and women's. They both fell on their open round matchups.
Speaker 2: The three on three ok Jimmer for Dead lost to whom Wow, that's a grimmer for that team. Yeah, that dude's good. Well he was, I don't know. They had three on three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well yeah, yeah, yeah, I know it was for sure.
Speaker 2: Well well well you were at the final four.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they we saw him plack, they saw him play.
Speaker 2: They were doing. That's kind of what they were gonna do.
Speaker 3: Right, and he can still shoot.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah yeah once you shoot. Well maybe today he went dead. Who knows, but wow, that they lost.
Speaker 11: It's right, the one uh something else that just came through water polo US men's they got their first win today.
Speaker 3: Okay, I know nothing about water polo. It's that that I know. What I know is that that has to be a really hard sport. I mean waiting, you know, in the water that long and doing all the things that they do, and you know, I mean getting dunked underwater and having people grab your shorts and pulling you down and all that kind of stuff that just can't be easy.
Speaker 2: Have you ever seen a fat swimmer, no, out of shape swimmer.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean I swim no, technically I'm not. I get in the water exactly, but it's a that's an you know, you look at some of these sports right, And this is what we're talking about, Steve. When you're talking about these guys work as hard as as everybody else. You look at sports like, you know, uh, water polo, I think, I think in the Winter Olympics. I think of cross country skiers, right, marathoners. I was going to go, you know, the weightlifters and and you know, wrestlers, And.
Speaker 2: How are you going to tell them that they don't work as hard as.
Speaker 3: Right, and or they don't deserve as much as the other guy? Right? I understand that, But some of these sports you look at you go, how do you do that? And then you know, how do you prepare for a for a uh, you know, the Olympics for something like that, and that can be over in a flash, you know. Someoney's talking about. Let's say let's say you're one hundred meter freestyler. That's your only event, right, you trained for four years or however long you train for get into the Olympics. It's and you're losing the first heat, the first heat, you don't qualify for the next heat, and you're done in what fifty seconds however long it takes them to swim one hundred meters. It's like man, how hard is that to go through?
Speaker 2: Well, I'll give you called the first run of the NCAA tournament. You know yo, yoh no no no no no no no, yes, yes, no no no no no.
Speaker 3: If you want to go there, you can go there.
Speaker 2: But I'm talking about teams that are seated sixteen, right, and they're happy to be there.
Speaker 3: Well, some are just happy to be there than others who are seated low and they think they should have been seated better than they get, be correct.
Speaker 2: But I'm thinking the guys who play the Arizona's or the Dukes in the first round. You're thinking, well, they're there, they had fun, right, right, No, you.
Speaker 3: Went to a place like yeah, well where you go.
Speaker 2: But it's like that, you get there and you're happy, happy, and then you get there.
Speaker 3: Oh no yeah yeah, and then you know when and when I watch the Olympics, I think of those, you know, because sure you got the you got you know, the basketball team, and those guys are all making millions of dollars. Even the gymnasts, you know, like Simone Biles that you know, they got endorsements and stuff like that, and there's a lot more to it than just gaining the gold medal. But there's so many of these athletes who are there just to get a medal and it's been their lifelong dream and if they don't hit it, what, you know, how do you take that? You know, how do you go on with your athletic career or whatever. And some of some of those people, that stuff's got to be devastating.
Speaker 11: I mean, it's not like you know, baseball or football. Yeah, you're you're playing those like several months a year.
Speaker 3: Well, if you watch okay, if you watch that clip of the rugby the American woman that you know that runs over the player that scores the scores, then they cut to the Australian player who I guess it's the one that she ran over, and she's in tears. Yeah, she's crying, like bawling, you know, because she just got trucked and lot and the game got and the game was lost. She's you know, she's not going home and getting some sort of endorsement deal or something like that. It was her dream to win a medal and that plate. You know, because of that play, they're not winning a medal and it's devastating to her. Sure, you just see those things and then you go, oh, man, how hard is that? I don't want to be an athlete. I give them for the for the hard work, for the effort and the hard work.
Speaker 11: Right, you have to keep going out there every you know, four years, competing and you know exactly a little bit of news out of them. For so the guy on my left Dodgers picked up a uh, starting picture of Jack claerty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was pretty pretty good. That's decent stats, you know. I mean the guys that they're rolling out there right now, that the Dodgers rolling out there, you go, what the hell you do? You don't have better players than this, you know, with the organization that you have, and you shouldn't give a billion dollars to one guy, you know, go get some guys because that's their pitching is killing them.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 3: They're going to win their division. I don't know. I don't know if they can beat the Phillies in the in the series, not now with the pitching they have. Now they're getting Kershaw back, So it's going partly depend on how good is Kershaw Tyler last and I was back, but you know, Walker Budle or we don't know when we're going to see him again, and uh, and the and they're they're you know, the other pictures are young. I don't see it. I don't see them getting to the World Series this year. I just don't think they have the pitching and their their their batting order is the pits right now, you know the months He's on the side, Uh, Mookie Betts is on the side there and the bottom of their lineup, Steve is a is a slow pitch softball team, it really is. You know, it's bad. They on last Friday they struck out fifty times against the Houston Nationals. I went and took it. I took a look at their batting order. You know how they they list their stuff, but they also list their batting average. Six of the six of the nine guys in the batting in order of batting two forty or less, and two of them were under two hundred. You can't you can't win a World Series or even a get to a World Series with that. And then top of which, again, their pitch has been awful. I think in the last month they have they've had the worst pitching, uh, relief staff, worst bullpen in major leagues, like a six something e R a yeah, not that I've been following that or painted.
Speaker 11: But they also got Kevin Kiermyer today from the Blue Jays for Ryan yarbro.
Speaker 3: Trade, another one of the young pitchers. Yeah, all right, that's kind of what happens at this season. That's that all I had that. Okay, that's good, good time, good stuff. All right, our clips are loaded, Steve, so so we'll be able to play the Brent Brannan uh interview you. We'll do that at the top of the hour, probably later in the segment, depends on how much time we have. I think it's about a twelve minute interview, so it'll probably eat up the whole segment. So maybe in the last segment or of the show. I'll go into the stuff that this conversation man is doing a ken because it was really interesting stuff I love doing. He's such a good guy and more than anything, he remembers my name, so that's pretty cool but ideal some people don't you got that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's you and me and that guy that guy.
Speaker 3: Exactly. So anyways, so yeah, we will have the Brent Brennan interview coming up at the top of the hour. We still have Frank Bush we'll talk to him about some of the Olympic stuff, but also you'll get into some of his his thoughts on on N I L and those kinds of things. It just one of those guys who seems to know a lot about all of that stuff, so we'll we'll do that as well, So we hope you stick around for all that. Brent Brennan coming up in about five minutes, so stick around.