Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: We've got a big night of college basketball tonight, which means I'm going to consume a lot of college basketball and wager on a lot of college basketball. I had had myself a good weekend. I guess it really ended on I might have been Friday night. I had had a two leg parlay that that was pretty juicy, meaning good. And when I do three legs or less, I'm usually really consistent. When it comes to the amount of money that I bet, it's usually not much. Twenty is like as steep as I'll usually go. But on Saturday, I had a full day where I hit, I had my son's basketball game, and then I had to get ready for the Hall of Fame event.
Speaker 3: So I just didn't. I didn't.
Speaker 2: I knew I wasn't gonna be able to watch a whole lot. Therefore, I just decided, all right, I'm gonna do a three leg parlay on the noon games, and that's going to be probably it maybe until late in the evening, so I might as well, you know, instead of betting ten here twenty there and really maybe spending I don't know, forty bucks on a Saturday when it comes to betting from top to bottom, and the hope is that if that's three wagers or so, maybe one of them hits and that way I'm making a little bit of money. But because I knew only was going to do that three leg parlay, I just decided to put fifty on it because I was feeling pretty good because of Friday night being a good one and ended up hitting and it's probably the most I've won all year, so I'm feeling confident. Didn't have a good night last night. But there's some of these and this is what happens, man. And I know, if you're somebody that wagers on college hoops or maybe wagers on anything, you have a little bit of momentum, you get a little confidence going. And it doesn't mean that you feel like you can't lose. But I feel like I've got a better ability to not overthink a spread, right, because when I get down bad and I'm losing, then I start to overthink everything. And at that point I just say, look, don't even look deep into it. Just trust your gut, because I still believe that there's nothing worse. I mean, losing always sucks, but there's nothing worse as far as I guess. The worst way to lose, in my opinion, is when you had an initial thought right your gut, and then you thought more about it, you changed your mind, and then it go Then it's wrong. Like that to me is the worst feeling ever. So like I'm looking at some of these games tonight and I don't understand why some of these teams are favored or maybe not favored by a bigger amount like tonight. And for what it's worth, Kentucky does play Tennessee tonight. Should be a good game. But Kentucky's gonna be without Jackson Robinson. So they are underdogs at home, which is a rare thing to see at Reparna. But Tennessee minus two and a half currently the total is one forty seven and a half. But Florida one of the best teams in the country. They are on the road at Mississippi State. A good team, certainly a row game, tough environment, but Mississippi State, I mean they're outside the top thirty in the Ken Palm. They've lost four out of four out of five. Their only wins in the last five games are against South Carolina, who we know stinks and they needed overtime to beat them, and then Georgia, who is one of the worst teams in the league, and they beat them by one. So I don't understand how Florida, a top five team, is underdogs in Mississippi State. I mean, I wouldn't expect him to be big time favorites on the road because again the SEC's loaded. But I don't I don't get this, And this is this is where I start to overthinking at times because I'm thinking, maybe they know something I don't know. I believe Walter Clayton, junior for Florida, was at one point dealing with some injuries. But I just checked the Yeah, I mean, I just checked the injury update for both teams and they don't have any notable injuries. Florida doesn't, So I mean I'm thinking about In fact, I'm not thinking about it. I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna ta Florida money line. I just think they're better in Mississippi State. I don't know if they've done a whole lot to like deserve the benefit of the doubt as far as being a team that has a seventeen and six record five and five in league play. Like, I'm not saying they're bad, but they don't really have anything on their resume where you can claim, Okay, well, look, yeah, the record's not great, but man, they still have it. Like, Kentucky is the best example of a team that right now doesn't have a great record in league play. They're five and five sixteen and seven overall, but man, they earned the benefit of the doubt with wins against Duke Gonzaga, Louisville, Florida, Tennessee on the road, A and M Mississippi State on the road. I don't want to gass them up because I might throw up doing it, but Kentucky has proven to where you can look at their five and five record in league play and chalk it up to hey, it's because they play in the best league in the country. Yes, Mississippi State also plays in the best league in the country, but they don't have any of those impressive wins. In fact, their wins are against the teams that aren't good in the league. And I mean right now they're five and five.
Speaker 3: In the in the SEC.
Speaker 2: In Mississippi State is their wins are against South Carolina twice, Vanderbilt once Georgia and then they did beat Old Miss and if you remember, that was the game where I think Old Miss completely choked it away and Ole Miss is you know, Ole Miss is an elite.
Speaker 3: But anyways, I don't.
Speaker 2: Typically when I end up looking at the line and just being dumbfounded as how this could even happen, how could they be underdogs? Usually what ends up happening is once that game ends, I'll say, yeah, they knew something we didn't. They they had it. They had it and we didn't. But again, I that's again this not to you know, have you guys basically be my therapist, psychologist whatever. I feel like, I'm laying on that long, skinny couch talking about my wagering habits and I know none of you care, but this is the mental bond that I get in at times when it comes to So if I decided not to touch it because yeah, that seems fishy, they must know something.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna stay away. Something's not adding up.
Speaker 2: Then if Florida won by ten and I didn't bet it, I'd be pissed at myself.
Speaker 3: So some other games tonight and we don't have to get into the number as far.
Speaker 2: As the spread, but just the overall lineup tonight in college basketball is elite. We mentioned Kentucky hosting Tennessee. That's two top fifteen teams. A Top twenty matchup between Purdue on the road at Michigan, Florida Mississippi State.
Speaker 3: We talked about that one. Auburn's at Vandy.
Speaker 2: Auburn's still number one in the country despite their loss, and Vandy, I don't know, they still on.
Speaker 3: The right side of the bubble. I feel like they are, but I could be wrong.
Speaker 2: But Bandy, They're not elite by any means, but they've proven at home it can get tricky there for opponents. They beat Tennessee and Kentucky when they were at home earlier this year. A good Big twelve matchup Arizona at Kansas State. Indiana is at Michigan State, Yukon at Creighton. So some big time games tonight and I am certainly going to enjoy watching. Speaking of Indiana, we'll get to this a little bit later on. I'm a nerd for college basketball overall. I definitely enjoy coaching searches in college basketball, but this Indiana one is really gonna gonna be fascinating to me as far as how it plays out. They I don't know, Maybe they are already doing a search, right, I mean, they haven't made anything official, but like it's now known Mike Woodson will not be back, and if they end up moving on from him, I mean, he's not gonna be back. I guess now they're just figuring out what he's gonna do, meaning is he going to take like a reduced buyout, is he gonna walk away and retire, or are they gonna have to like actually fire him and pay him everything. But either way, he won't be back, and Indiana is just one coach away from I think, being consistently one of the best programs in college basketball once again. And that makes it seem like, oh, what's it's simple, just we'll hire a good coach. Well, they've been one coach away I think for like ever since Bob Knight. Now it is different now because when it comes to the new world of college sports, you don't need a lot of time. Regardless of what Kenny Payne will tell you, Tom Crean he needed a lot of time because Tom Crean inherited a program that was facing NAA issues. He couldn't go build a roster from the portal. He had to use walk ons. That's what Tom Crean took a while to get going. Now you don't need that, and Indiana's got every resource that every other program has. Indiana's spent more money on nil apparently than anybody, according to those who cover college basketball. So just you got to find somebody who can utilize all the resources you have and has proven to be able to win. And I don't think that's that hard to do, but they haven't been able to do it yet. All right, So for Louisville, they're in action tomorrow against n C State. We do actually have an early line on that.
Speaker 3: For tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Louisville has opened up as seven and a half point favorite. Still no clue if Chucky Hepburn's going to play. And I feel like I am in the minority here when it comes to Louisville fans and how they view this team in the now, because I don't want to act like Louisville can't beat anybody without Chucky. They did just beat Miami by double digits, but Miami is one of the worst teams in the country, and I think at times, they look like a team coach by Kenny Payne just as far as like it's over, they know it's over. Their coaches left midseason. Like they're a team that on any given night, if they let it get away to where they're down fifty, I wouldn't be shocked. I mean, that's an exaggeration, but that's how bad things are with Miami in NC State, they've lost eight in a row. I think it is like they stink, but like I don't look at any team on this schedule in factor in potentially not having Chucky and thinking, Okay, no big deal, we'll go out there and get it done.
Speaker 3: I mean they can. I know that they can.
Speaker 2: They've I mean I just thought, I feel as much as I love this team, and I've really made it clear throughout the last few months. This has been such a fun ride for me as a Louis basket fans who watch a team that plays hard. They're fun to watch and I think they're actually pretty damn good whenever they're healthy and things are clicking.
Speaker 3: It's been awesome.
Speaker 2: So I feel like I'm a hater and I don't want to be because I have real concern with anybody on their schedule without Chucky. And it's not because I'm not a believer in this team. I think they've got really good pieces, and they've got a when healthy meaning the new version of them healthy meaning basically the team they've been the last six weeks with Scott healthy and Chucky healthy. I mean, I think they've got a good rotation, a good core. But Chucky is so important to where I just think everything about Louisville is different when he's not out there. I mean, Terrence Elvers has done a good job defending this year, in fact, I think he's been a pretty good defender. But where Louisville can be a really good defensive team, it all starts with Chucky being basically a pest to the opposing team's lead guard, and that makes sure the rest of your defense a little bit more vulnerable when he's not doing that.
Speaker 3: So maybe he plays tomorrow. I'm not sure, none of us know, but.
Speaker 2: I hope he plays because one I just I would hate to have to see what Louisville's resume ends up looking like with a real stain like losing to one of these terrible teams left on the schedule, but also just know, like maybe Chucky comes back tomorrow and they.
Speaker 3: Lose, that would still be really bad.
Speaker 2: But like, if Chucky comes back, that at least lets you know that this thing isn't super serious. And the only person that said it's not believed to be serious is Jeff Goodman, And I guess if it was serious, and I guess there's all different levels of what is serious and what's not, because I mean, a serious injury would mean he's hurt for the rest of the year, he's out, he's gonna have surgery, something like that.
Speaker 3: We're not dealing with that.
Speaker 2: But I just never have felt such desperation as a fan to know is our most important player, like gonna be able to go.
Speaker 3: I mean, even if you told me he's.
Speaker 2: Out n C State, Notre Dame, but we're targeting next week, that would at least give me something. And I thought to myself earlier, should I go look at stuff on social media and see if they're giving any kind of hints, any kind of indication if he's getting close to being ready to play, But like, that's not This team doesn't do that. And you know that I don't say that to complain. They're just that's they're mature. They're grown men, most of them. So again Louisville favored by seven and a half. Somebody asked earlier on the text line how both Brandon Honey Hatfield and Mike James were doing for NC State this year, and Mike James, I don't think he's played this year for them. He's got some kind of an injury. I don't know exactly what it is. Maybe he has, maybe he has recently come back and started playing for them. But last I checked, actually I was wrong. I was looking at numbers earlier this year and I thought he was I thought those were numbers from his current season at NC State with Kevin Keats. In fact, it was his numbers from for Louisville last year because he hadn't played at the time. So Huntley Hatfield's averaging nineteen minutes and yet I'm sorry, twenty one minutes per game, eight eight points, and five boards. So he's having a solid season as far as stats. But again, NC State is not good, and you know, we talked about it yesterday. I can't imagine that that NC State fans feel like the final four last year was long term worth it. I mean, maybe it was because final fours are really special and you don't you don't have them very often unless you're you know, one of the elite. I mean, look, even the elite of the elite, I feel like is not I mean, I think final four is in college basketball.
Speaker 3: Regardless of who you are.
Speaker 2: It's it's a milestone and accomplishment that nobody turns their nose up at. You know what I mean, Like, you don't look at a final four is like, oh, who cares? We only met a final four? Now, you could have certain seasons that make it to where you feel underwhelmed, right, like k Kentucky was thirty five and oh and then lost to Wisconsin.
Speaker 3: That had to hurt. But still you made a final four.
Speaker 2: I mean, like you had a good year, you just all short and probably we're in line to be the not only national champions, but to be the first team since you know, Indiana in the seventies that won a championship and didn't lose a game the entire year. I mean, you hate to see it, right, So how if that happened for those guys?
Speaker 3: But yeah, n C.
Speaker 2: State I'm just looking at their overall stats right here, and I mean they're they're bad. They're really bad. And yeah, Mike James is not even listed, so I don't did he get hurt? I mean, I'm sure not necessary. We don't care about Mike James. He seemed like a good dude when he was here. But like I feel like if he would have had like a season ending injury, I kind of feel like it would have been a known thing.
Speaker 3: But I haven't.
Speaker 2: Yeah said this is uh, this is from Inside Pack Sports. They put up a little write up yesterday following Kevin Keats's press conference, and it sounds like, yeah, it says here that h this is from Kevin Keats says they're going to try to get with Mike this morning and get with our doctors and you know, see where he is. So maybe Mike James makes his debut against Louisville, maybe season debut. Do you have any nerves about this game, Austin, I know you probably haven't watched a lot of NC State this year.
Speaker 3: You know why would you?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Not really, just because they've kind of been quiet, But I mean they've been bad.
Speaker 2: I mean, in fact, they're lucky it's been quiet because you know, they're a final fourteen last year. But again it's weird because they weren't good last year. They just had a crazy run that nobody would have seen coming.
Speaker 3: If anything, I'm feeling going to be feeding off your nerves, right yeah, I mean you're you're the real ball. No, we're here, So I mean if you start to get a little jittery about it, then that's what I'll question my LIAF.
Speaker 2: So my nerves are not necessarily and I tried to explain this yesterday. My nerves aren't necessarily because like I'm scared of NC State, or that I think Louisville without Chucky isn't good enough to beat some of these bad teams.
Speaker 3: It's really not that at all.
Speaker 2: My nerves are that you have so much to lose because of just the situation you're in, with your schedule, in with your conference. It's just a rare feeling because Louisville right now, I mean, maybe I'm wrong again, Only we'll never know. Only the selection committee would be able to, you know, to tell us this, and it'd be worthless to tell us now because there's still a lot of ball to be played.
Speaker 3: But I just fear that Louisville right.
Speaker 2: Now, the resume and the numbers being what they are, they're in the top thirty in both the net and the kin Palm. They are currently eighteen and six overall, eleven and two in the league. Their best win is s I'm sorry is Clemson, and that win got more valuable with Clemson now knocking off Duke and they beat the hell out of North Carolina last night, So that may so because you beat Clemson at home. What that does now is that Clemson has to be in the top thirty for that to be a quad one. Clemson was not in the top thirty until they beat Dukes, so that helped you there, and then the rest of the way when it comes to like other like Florida State has falling out of the top seventy five, so that's not a quad one. West Virginia is still in the top fifty, so that's a quad one. Indiana is fifty five, so that's right outside quad one.
Speaker 3: So I just.
Speaker 2: Any given night, you could have West Virginia lose to a bad team, they fall out of the top fifty, Clemson gets upset, they're out of the top thirty. Those are things that remove quad one wins from your resume, right, So if you slip up and lose to an NC State who's not in the top one hundred. I mean what that could I mean it could. It could make it to where the number maybe substantially drops, right, like maybe you fall far from being twenty eight, twenty ninth where they are now, maybe you fall like to you know, thirty eight or something. And that sounds crazy to have that happen in one game. But again, when you have teams lose in league play, let me give an example, like Florida, Florida plays Mississipi State. We talked about that game because I just don't understand how Florida is underdogs here. But Florida, if they lost tonight a close game to Mississippi State, that would be them losing a quad one game and they would be losing to a team that is in the top thirty. Therefore, it would hit them, but not much because that's not a bad loss.
Speaker 3: Louisville, if they lose.
Speaker 2: To n C State tomorrow, they're losing to a team that's not in the top one hundred, like in league play typically, and really thinking back from Big East one year in the American and really all of their time in the ACC when you would lose to anybody in the league, more other than maybe when Boston College is really bad, and then there were years where Virginia Tech, if you remember, they were really bad. But other than that, teams that weren't tournament teams from the ACC that you could slip up and lose to, they'd still be like top fifty in the net or the RPI that they used to use, or the ken like whatever it is. But the numbers are so bad for the ACC that any loss the rest of the way could be devastating. So again, my nerves aren't because I don't think Louisville is going to be able to win without Chucky if he can't go. It's just knowing that it could be such a devastating result that really changes sort of how you view Louisvill's tournament chances. But with all that said, if Pittsburgh and Carolina can keep losing and yet people won't bury them, and people keep acting like they've got a chance to somehow make the tournament, then you know, maybe Louisville could slip up and lose. I just don't want to risk it because Louisvill's in a position now where if they do finish strong, and yeah, they could beat teams the rest of the way, and it won't do a whole lot for the resume because of who's there, but you could still end up with a real Like right now, Louisville's projected record in the ACC is twenty I'm sorry, their projected record is twenty four and seven seventeen and three. They're actually projected to win every game, but the formula does allow for at least you know, they don't. They realize they're going to have some close games as far as the projected score, but you know they could be off by a couple points and that actually means you to lose. But let's just say louisvill beats n C State, Notre Dame, Florida State, Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh, California, and stand for the rest of the way. That sounds like, wow, you could win the winning that mini games consecutively easier said than done.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 2: But again, look at who they're playing like, they're going to be expected to win all these games. So if they do, and they finish twenty five and six eighteen and two in the league in any other year, that would be a great seed line for an ACC team. Not the case this year, but it could still be like a five seed for Louisville, which would be awesome. So that I think that's still on the table. I just don't want to, you know, but I think any loss the rest of the way to one of these teams would change that, maybe not to put you outside of the tournament, but it definitely I think lowers the ceiling of what.
Speaker 3: Your seed could be. All right, quick break.
Speaker 2: What I want to get to on the other side is something that fascinated me, and it is a look at which college basketball coaches in the last five six years have the most technicals. I think some of these names might surprise you. Some won't surprise you. But we'll get to that in a lot more as we finish up here. It's Coffee and Company fuel about Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: You know, Louisville basketball this year has obviously had injury issues. They're going through it right now, gonna get James Scott back, hopefully tomorrow, and we wait to see what happens with Chucky and early on, I mean within the first what six seven games, you knew that you were going to be without Corn Johnson in case in prior to the rest of the way. So Louisville's had injury issues. It's just I think in a way, it's beneficial to know early. You were able to kind of reinvent yourself relatively early in the season, and so far louis has done a good enough job to put themselves as of now is a team that looks like they're gonna be in the tournament. Kentucky didn't have any injury issues until a little later on in the year, and now it's starting. I mean, timing is not on their side. I don't really know if there's a good time to have an injury, but I think timing can certainly be worse in certain situations. And right now, the fact that Jackson Robinson who's dealing with an injury to his wrist and played against South Carolina but now is not available to play tonight against Tennessee. I mean, I don't follow it as close as others, I'm sure, but I mean, if it's kind of a game by game thing, can he go, doesn't it make you worry if he's ever going to be at any point like fully healthy the rest of the season. I mean, you'd like to be able to set him and get him healthy to where maybe he misses a few but then he's as close as he's going to get to one hundred percent by the time you.
Speaker 3: Get to late February. And maybe that's what they're doing right.
Speaker 2: Maybe he reinjured it against South Carolina when he played a little bit late in the game, which I did hear some critics in regards to you were already up big, why was he still out there? And maybe he did reinjury it. I'm not sure, but they do have Lamont Butler back, and that's certainly a good sign. He played against he played against South Carolina, but Jackson Robinson, who was questionable game time decision, did.
Speaker 3: Play and now he's out.
Speaker 2: Kerkkriesa also out and I don't know if he's gonna come back at all. But then again, it sounded like Andrew Carr was somebody that was going to be maybe missing some significant time for them, and then he ends up being able to go. So I mean, Mark Pope, I mean, all you can do is play who's available. And they have at times been able to win games without key players. I mean, beating Gonzaga at Gonzaga even though they're not what they typically are.
Speaker 3: Still that's a good win.
Speaker 2: And they mean you were down eighteen or something like that, came back and won it at their place, and they did it without Lamont Butler. I mean, that's a big win that has a lot of value. Same thing, Lamont Butler did not play against Tennessee and I don't even think Andrew Carr played a whole lot in that game. I could be wrong, and they were able to win in Knoxville. So it's nice to know that you have proven that you've been able to get wins against really good teams even when you are missing players that you rely a lot on. However, you got to worry if that's I mean, how how how sustainable is that?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: How often are you going to be able to play really good teams and find ways to win? And don't mean I mean they they've shown that they can do it, but the timing of their injuries just doesn't mean. Again, there's no good time to be injured. But I think whenever you know you have a little bit of time in January, maybe even December to kind of, you know, figure out what you're gonna do and who you're going to be without certain guys that that's that that at least gives.
Speaker 3: You the option.
Speaker 2: With Kentucky, I mean, they're they've been kind of you just never know who's gonna be available. So injuries both playing playing a factor here in both in first in the first season for both Mark Pope and and and Pat Kelsey and.
Speaker 3: With with with louisvill situation.
Speaker 2: You know, maybe maybe that's what Pat Kelsey and his staff are doing. Maybe they have been told Chucky can play, but yet he's he's going to be dealing with some pain and maybe after he plays, you know, let's say he played thirty minutes tomorrow night. That'd be good because you you know, you're a better team with him, but maybe that'll lead to him having you know, a really rough few days to where he's going to take some time to recover. So if you can get by without him, I mean, it makes sense to let him rest. If I mean, we don't know the specifics of the injury. It's it's a groin injury, it was non contact. I feel like if it was severe enough to where he needed something done, we would know. But then again, we had Noah Waterman have his hand situated. I think it was it a it was his hand or as his finger that he had rods put in because he broke it, he had surgery, and yet he played through it the whole time. So again, we're not entitled to, you know, a ton of transparency when it comes to injuries really at all.
Speaker 3: But as I've said many times, when it comes to.
Speaker 2: Chucky, it's just he's so important that I'm dying to know if he's going to be if he's gonna be able to go or not. Let me see if I can pull up this. I can't seem to find it here. For those who may be interested at all in how I gather things I want to reference on the show and things I want to talk about, I always favorite, or I guess they call it like tweets, that little heart symbol on a tweet and that way.
Speaker 3: I just go.
Speaker 2: I go to my likes on my Twitter account and I just scroll through and I end up seeing a lot of things that I've saved that I can reference whenever we get to talking about him on the show. And there's one that had a breakdown of the coaches in college basketball that have the most technicals, and I can't seem to place it.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's been deleted.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure. Maybe I don't know. I don't know where it is, but which is not good timing. But no surprise that the Hurly brothers both were in first and second place when it comes to the most tech Nichols in the last five years, and the most ejections and technicals of course, has been Danny Hurley at Yukon, which probably doesn't surprise anybody. Even before he started collecting national championships, he's won.
Speaker 3: The back the last two.
Speaker 2: He was already a guy that was fiery with the refs, and this year just kind of played out where he was a little more arrogant and a little more in their face, maybe thinking he could get away with it more so than he previously could because now he's the top dog in college basketball, or maybe there's just people paying more attention to his behavior because you know, he's the top coach in the sport right now, but his brother just behind him and not nearly as successful at Arizona State. That's Bobby Hurley, And I mean the let me see if I've got it pulled up here. Yes, So Creighton. If you remember last year, the last team that beat Creighton before they went on to win a national championship was I'm sorry, the last team to beat Yukon was Creighton before Yukon went on to win their second consecutive national championship, and they got beat pretty bad in that game, meaning Yukon. So makes no it's no surprise at all to see that Creighton is going to really try to to have an insane atmosphere for this Creighton Yukon game that's coming up, because they're going to have one dollar Beer night as Dan Hurley makes his return to ol Maha, and that place is going to be absolutely jewice Creighton and and really I guess Creighton more than anything but Creighton Wichita State for a long time, and I'm sure Creighton is still there. I'm not sure about which Toss State because they had a great run obviously with Greg Marshall, and they've kind of fallen off substantially ever since then.
Speaker 3: But when you think of.
Speaker 2: The college basketball programs that average the most attendance per you know, per season, I mean, Creighton's been in like the top ten for a long time, and I would never think of it because you know, they're they're not like a random, never heard of type program. They just they're not. They're certainly not a blue blood by any means. But I would imagine Creighton will have that place juiced. And I wouldn't be shocked if Dan Hurley decides to, you know, call it a night and get himself thrown out. But yeah, last year when these two teams played to you know, to close out the well, actually it wasn't in the regular it wasn't in the regular season, but it was.
Speaker 3: A late game because the last time Yukon lost.
Speaker 2: Before they end up winning the national championship and ended up being a thirty point beat down. I'm fact, twenty nine point beat down. And that's what makes you know that's college basketball right now. Like I just as somebody who loves the sports so much, and I know that there's no more football to watch because the season's over, the Super Bowl, Super Bowl Sunday has come and gone. Like I just I want people to tune into those kind of games. Tune in tonight when you see Tennessee at Rupp Arena, because the atmosphere is going to be insane, and you just don't get that. I mean, certainly don't get that in the NBA, And I don't know the more I think about it, if college basketball was ever going to really explode and be not as popular as the NFL or even college football, Like I feel like if they were ever going to have a real big growth, then it would happen. But look, the product's better than it's ever been because the new world that has the portal and NIL you essentially have. I mean, guys are getting paid. That's I mean, we call it in IL, but really it's pay for play, and you have free agency to where you can go wherever you want and not have to sit out really as many times as you want. As it stands right now, I mean, that's led to so many guys in college basketball that are sticking around and playing for a lot longer than they typically would. You know, guys in the previous world, if they knew that their best college days are behind them, and yet they still have like two years of eligibility and they know realistically speaking, they're not going to ever be drafted, it would make sense at twenty or twenty one to bypass your last two years of eligibility to go make money because you only have a certain amount of time. You've got a window in your life where you can make I guess depends upon how good you are, but you can make a lot of money playing the game, even if it's not in the NBA. And if you stick around in college for two years extra and look, there's a value. There's value in getting your degree, there's value in the experience that you get right life experience and just you know, playing in front of college crowds like that, that's something you'll never get back. But you also, before NIL, you weren't getting paid at least not like you are now. So I mean, if you just look at like, let's look at the college basketball pre season All American teams, because.
Speaker 3: I would happen to think that a lot of these guys that, yeah.
Speaker 2: The twenty twenty four to twenty five preseason All American Team, I mean, it's got guys that would have never been in college this late in their life if they weren't getting paid.
Speaker 1: R J.
Speaker 2: Davis, Mark Sears, Ryan Kalchbrenner, Hawkbrenner. I just met her Hunter Dickinson, Kansas. He's a Grandpa, Caleb Love, Wade Taylor, Jani Broome, Cam Jones at Marquette. It's a Kai Ziggler at Tennessee. By the way, looking at this list, I don't I think preseason I would have had no issue with with this preseason All American list. But it's also a reminder that some of these guys are still playing at a high level, but man, they're not. Like r J. Davis is having a good year statistically, but his team isn't good. Hunter Dickinson in Kansas. They're good, they're gonna make the tournament, but like they're not. They're not anywhere close to being one of Bill's self's better teams. In fact, now you get now as I look at these preseason All Americans, there are there's really no way to know like what you're getting out of the portal. And I'll tie this into the addition that that Pat Kelsey's made for his team next year, which we talked about earlier. They've added a big man from from Germany. But before we get get into the specifics of that, just this is a this is an updated look at Actually no, this isn't updated. This was Let me see if I can pull it up here. I just had it in front of me. Where the hell is it? The college the College Basketball Transfer Portal Top one hundred player list. This came out right before the season started. And some of these guys have ended up being really good, and some of these guys have ended up being like, Hey, what the hell happened? They were averaging seventeen a game at their previous stop. Why are they now you know, nowhere near that? And it's just a reminder that, like, if you're a coach in the portal, these last few years have to I'm sure it was a learning experience. You've brought in players that you wish you could have had for four years, because man, they really fit what you want to do. They buy into your culture and you've enjoyed coaching them and you've had success. But then there's probably guys that you went out, you know, you used a lot of your INNI OWL money to go get a certain player, and man, it just wasn't worth the investment. That's going to continue to happen regardless. But I think guys like Pat Kelce like they had to do this in a different way before they were at Loutiver, Right, Pat Kelsey kept losing good players when he was at Charleston, because you know that's what happens to programs at that level. So moving forward, like Chucky, Hepburn, he wasn't even it was a big get for Louisville. We were really excited, but he wasn't even a top one hundred player in the portal rankings by twenty four seven Sports. Now, again that's more so than anything, them just being way wrong. But either way, Chucky is the perfect fit for Pat Kelce right, Like he's hungry, he wants to prove that he can play at a high level. He was good at Wisconsin, now he's at a better program at Louisville. And I don't mean like recently, I mean just overall. Louisll' is a bigger basketball brand than Wisconsin. And the challenge was there, right, can he put Louisville?
Speaker 3: Can he be the.
Speaker 2: Guy that helps really lead Louisville back to being a respectable program.
Speaker 3: And he's done exactly that.
Speaker 2: So you got to find guys that not only have a good stat line, but you know they're going to come in with a real hunger to to prove something to somebody. Or maybe he just prove it to themselves. Like this day and age where you can go get guys that you know, for example, Nord Shadowmere, the Miami guy who transferred to Baylor. Like he's fine, but like, how hungry was he? I mean, he's a guy who's already kind of you already went to a final four, Miami came back.
Speaker 3: They were a lousy last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a nice piece at Baylor, but like, is he gonna be a guy that really takes Baylor to a different level than they were prior to him getting there? And you know, so far that's not happening. The portal fascinates me because sometimes, man, when you look at teams that really, man, they really benefited from being able to go out and get guys in the portal. It hasn't usually been teams that you would have said that before the season started, right because guys can bring stats, they can bring production, but you already had that at times like sometimes you need somebody that's gonna gonna bring something that really isn't necessarily as noticeable from a stat line. Right, real quick, we'll get out of here and take our last break. We'll finish up by telling you about the new player for Louisville basketball for next season. I mean he'll be a freshman, but he's going to be twenty two years old, which is certainly not the norm. But we'll get to that in a lot more as we wrap it up on the other side right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine.
Speaker 2: Day final segment here on a Tuesday afternoon, a wet and nasty Tuesday, probably gonna stay that way into the evening, but good news is it won't be freezing, meaning like literally below freezing temperatures, so still need to be safe.
Speaker 3: But I mean if it was in the teens, that'd be a real disaster.
Speaker 2: In fact, I probably would be at home doing the show, if I'm being honest with you. So stay safe out there, and as we wrap it up, I do want our mind you once again about my friends over at the Louisville Men's Clinic. It's not just testosterone treatment that they can provide. They do a lot of things. I mean, for me, I heard a lot about them because you know, when you do good things and you help a lot of folks in the Kentuckian area, and you've been doing it for over ten years, you're gonna get a lot of buzz just from word of mouth. So I started to think, Okay, maybe I would benefit from getting my levels checked when it comes to testosterone, And sure enough, it's been a game changer. It's not an exaggeration to say that the last year of my life has been much better now that my levels are where they need to be. So that's where they've helped me. But it's not just that it could be a rectiltis function. It could be prone's disease, weight loss, therapy, hair restoration. They've got a lot of services they can help you out with. And I know when it comes to rectultus function, that's not something that you want to address. Maybe you don't want to, maybe you're in denial, but if you know, you know, and I mean, what kind of fool would you be if you don't do something about it. I mean, I'm not into name calling, but there's people that can help you with that. And there's nobody better that could help you than the louisvill Men's Clinic. They've got a variety of different options when it comes to treating ed they've got oral medications pin palle therapy pulsed. So go check them out louis Men's Clinic dot com. Give them a call BABO two four four four four thousand, and they'll they'll be happy to help you now real quick. The latest addition to Louisville's twenty twenty five recruiting class is a young man by the name of Senanda Threw, a six eleven, tw hundred and forty five pounds big man from Germany. He'll be a twenty two year old freshman next year. He's a guy who didn't start playing basketball until I guess around the time he was seventeen or eighteen years old, and now he has been developing over in Germany in one of their top professional leagues, and he has signed with Lowell. I don't know if he signed. I don't think you've Ella has announced it. But he's raw and a guy that will be very old compared to other freshmen next year at twenty two years old. But twelve points, five boards, a block and a half per game, shooting seventy five percent from the field. And I'm sorry, it looks like he's gonna have two seasons eligibility once he arrives. That's where I had it wrong. So you've got Mickel Brown Junior and Big Freu. That's what I'm that's what I'm calling him, Big Fru what I'm calling him, at least until somebody tells me not to. Six eleven, two forty five. And his last name is Frew Fru.
Speaker 3: So make sure to get your Frew shot.
Speaker 2: And then other guys that could be back. Obviously, you're gonna have a Lee Khalifa, who will be a big I mean, no pun intended. He'll be a big, a big weapon for you, a guy who can really pass it, shoot it, traditional big, but a talented player. Case In Pryor can be back if he wants to, can IRUs James Scott So looks like in the front court.
Speaker 3: Really, if you get.
Speaker 2: Guys back that you want back, I mean, Javon Hadley's going to have a yr availability if he wants so, I think your front court could be rather set. And then of course you just go out in the portal and feel as you need. All Right, we're out of here, enjoy a great night of college hoops. Back at it tomorrow right here at three o'clock, and I hope you'll join us on sports Talk seven ninety