Speaker 1: Another birthday boy right here.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, I have my headphones on. Hang on, hang on, Rochester, Rod Stewart. I was listening to uh Rod Stewart last night.
Speaker 3: Rod Stewart's the best concert, one of the best CONTs I've ever been to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's seventy seventy nine.
Speaker 2: Seventy nine and I believe his uh Cyinara tours this year. Right, he's saying goodbye.
Speaker 3: Well, he looks like someone's aunt, he do. He looks like someone's aunt now because he won't get a haircut and he wears like the coat like a scarf.
Speaker 2: I gotta start doing the colt and scarf thing.
Speaker 3: That's my thing, that is your thing? Right with the Rolling Stones?
Speaker 2: Yeah, rolling Stones theme? All right, News Radio eight forty whas Tony and Dwight. It's twenty five degrees and.
Speaker 3: We are expecting us a storm event. So snowstorm three to five inches normally would scare the crap out of everybody, but everybody since last week is like, ah, three to five, three to five inches.
Speaker 2: If you want to have your driveway shovel for free, just visit you r L And who do we have?
Speaker 3: This is Cassie. Cassie Cassie.
Speaker 2: You're not going to introduce Emily.
Speaker 3: Emily is her daughter.
Speaker 2: You walk into studio, you gotta talk on the mic, Lady one more year, baby, one night.
Speaker 3: Where do you go to school? By the way, are you out? I'm Colorado State University, Colorado State. That's kind of hard to get into. Colorado State. That's a good school.
Speaker 2: You like it.
Speaker 3: The view's not bad? Yeah, Colorado's good. What are you learning to?
Speaker 2: What do you want to be?
Speaker 4: Costume design?
Speaker 2: So what would that be like movies?
Speaker 3: You're a theater girl, Do you wear all black all the time?
Speaker 2: Not yet? Okay, all right, I got you. If you go to a dance, do you stand on the wall look at your shoes? Because that's what I did when I was in theater at Dawson.
Speaker 3: No, my daughter did a theater forever and she was back of the house, so they all wore black all the time, so no one sees you.
Speaker 4: Right, Well, I haven't done that yet.
Speaker 2: Okay. My first year I would. I would wear Flora sent yellow just to make sure that everybody saw me.
Speaker 3: But that means she's gonna move to Boston or New York that's where all the theaters are and Boston's pretty. That's good stuff. Well, good luck, Emily. We're going to talk to your mom now, okay, right, Cathy, Hi, what's your story Cassie?
Speaker 4: Which part?
Speaker 2: Well? First, you're in Iraq veteran? How about that? I am.
Speaker 5: I served in the invasion of Iraq in two thousand and three at the young age of twenty one.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: Do you remember a little older than her?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 3: What outfit were you in?
Speaker 2: It was like a camel time pumps.
Speaker 5: I was in air defense artillery. I worked with Patriot missiles.
Speaker 2: Whoa wow? Remember Desert storm?
Speaker 4: I was a kid, but I do remember during.
Speaker 2: Desert Storm I was rotcal. I ran off to Canada.
Speaker 3: Thank you? Uh so, Cassie. After that, what did you do?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: I came back from service and what did you do?
Speaker 5: I did lots of things. I went to Puerto Rico first. I got my undergraduate degree there. Uh served or actually I played college volleyball, basketball, softball, everything. I got recruited and played professional basketball there.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, get hero out of the studio. I've never felt as inferior as I do right now. Can you just plug whatever you got?
Speaker 1: A plug?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Really, I am really just numb to it, Cassie.
Speaker 5: I lived in prior to that, I lived in Germany while I was in the military. That's where she was born, in Germany, and I played Army year at basketball there.
Speaker 3: Wow, you played the two or the three? You were in a point guard?
Speaker 2: Were you? No?
Speaker 4: I was a three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I like.
Speaker 3: To run the baseline and rebound a little bit, a little bit.
Speaker 2: Make any German because that's such a beautiful language.
Speaker 5: I speak very little German. I am fluent in Spanish.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, okay, So Cassie, that's your story. And now you still want to stay active. So what is the sport that you play. It's very interesting. Dan Mitton a very good closer all the people in this room. Yes, Dan Mitton former l MPD. He served in Vietnam. He runs that Shakespeare program that you actually were part of.
Speaker 5: Yes, he is a member and likes to joke about being the director of the Shakespeare program.
Speaker 3: He's not run but he yeah. He I went to see him act. It was great him.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I've seen Dan Mitton act every time. I try to borrow money on it. Ye. Great actor.
Speaker 3: But so that's how we got hooked up. But you you play, uh.
Speaker 4: Disc golf. I played disc now.
Speaker 2: And oh is that like some is it frisbee golf?
Speaker 4: Frisbee golf?
Speaker 2: Okay, but now it's disc golf.
Speaker 5: I guess they call it the golf now. Yeah, I still like to call it frisbee.
Speaker 3: Golf, probably trademark.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 5: Actually, the person that started the game of disc golf, he is the one that created the frisbee back in n Yes.
Speaker 2: He worked for a sham it was Frank Frisbee okay in eighteen twelve.
Speaker 4: Okay, yes, true, like they did.
Speaker 2: But well, I don't know, I'm mining. So the guy that invented the frisbee invented frisbee golf, no kidding.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he worked at Whammo. Who is the one that made the frisbee. It was patented in like nineteen sixty six, I think something like that. And then from there he actually left and went and started the PDGA, I believe around in nineteen seventy five, p DGA PDG.
Speaker 3: They tell us all the time, life is simpler back then it was, and for our generation, it was a toy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, plastic round brown.
Speaker 3: I throw it, it floats through the air and there's somebody over there and they catch it. Well, I'm supposed to hit that today, Well, you were supposed to catch it.
Speaker 2: Ultimately, it hits me in the nose every time.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, he would get he would drink four beers and then he would try to play as the dog and he'd tried to catch it in his mouth and he would hit him in the forehead and everyone laugh. That would be that's worth it. But so where do you play this disc golf?
Speaker 5: Well, I actually I got into it just a couple of years ago and started playing really consistently in twenty twenty three. But then there weren't a lot of women that were playing, that was playing here in Louisville, okay, And I moved up to New Hampshire actually for a circus program because both my daughter and I we also have performed in the circus here in town.
Speaker 2: And then my friends the New Hearts have a great swear to god, you were like the most interesting person playing right now. It was after that I didn't mention it.
Speaker 3: You're either really full of it or the most interesting person in Louisville that they both okay.
Speaker 2: It was it was at that time that NASA called and said.
Speaker 3: Hey, no problem, and then we did a thing in the circus.
Speaker 2: No, you don't have anything to do. Did you do it? Stop?
Speaker 4: I did not not? Okay, they head towards NASA.
Speaker 3: Now what the hell did you do in the circus? And Emily, how did you get dragged along?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well we yeah, she was first we started together.
Speaker 5: She went to the Waldorf School several years ago when we got involved in Turner's Circus and then performed like eight years, seven years for them, and then SIRC Louis.
Speaker 2: My friend Jessica carr Uh performs in the circus Turner Circus and they came in here. I think that's amazing. And she does like the high silks and all this stuff.
Speaker 5: Yes, and both her and I did did stuff like that, and we moved up to New Hampshire for a circus program for her senior year so that she could do the costume design stuff prior to heading to CSU.
Speaker 2: Do you have a do you have a line that one of us could put the head in? Okay? So is that still the thing? That circus?
Speaker 3: So when you go on a date, does a guy ever talk like I'm not saying that, I'm saying like, all she's got to do is go tell me about you. And then the next thing, you know, I was circus Puerto Rico, Germany Patriots.
Speaker 2: You can't say any of that on your first day, you know that, right because I'm intimidated right.
Speaker 3: Now, Noice, no this thank you for telling something. I already look.
Speaker 2: I walk around feeling inadequate every single day. But you opened your mouth and I just shrunk up like a snail.
Speaker 3: A smart boy would go, I'll sign up for that. I'll take definitely that. Okay, we'll get off the dating scene unless you want to stay on that disc golf? Where do we play that?
Speaker 2: Lovell?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 5: So, so how I got to the we moved up to Northeast. There was a huge woman's community up there, and they really I kind of dabbled in it around here. I started with the kids at the Waldorf School and just throwing with them in the yard and playing object golf. We did tree identification through frisbee golf, and I would have the kids like, pick, you know, an oak tree and make a par three to.
Speaker 4: That and that sort of thing. And that was kind of my intro to it.
Speaker 5: And then when I moved up to the Northeast, there were a lot of women that played up there really and yeah, we were only there for a year. So when I came back, I started seeing some women and I met this really cool woman named Kristin Reeves who had started gathering the women in Louisville and kind of started playing. I mean, the guy scene here is really big, always has been.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to remember. I think there was an was there a national championship or something here? I think the Sports Commission had a huge disc of vet here.
Speaker 4: Yes, so Dave Greenwell probably was.
Speaker 5: He was multa multi time world champion, and he designed all the courses here, Charlie Vettner, Gerry Cooy champions he designed all of those, and there he hosted a major here, the Selenski. I can't I don't know year, but it was. It was several years ago. Disc golf Louisville used to be a really big.
Speaker 4: Scene, is there.
Speaker 2: Cooy's that was the first one, right, the first.
Speaker 5: One, first one in the state of Kentucky was actually designed by the guy that started the Frisbee?
Speaker 3: Am I thinking long run too? Is that long run out by long run shelby of a road way out? I'm thinking, okay.
Speaker 2: So it is.
Speaker 5: So the first one was Otter Creek Park and that was built in like nineteen seventy nine, I think. And then Iroquois was in eighty one and we play often at Iroquois, Charlie Vetner and Champions. And then Dave is in his seventies now and he's still playing I and really good.
Speaker 3: Probably he's still So one of the distances, is it just like golf, So it's four hundred yards or is it one hundred four hundred feet?
Speaker 4: It's more feet?
Speaker 3: Okay, do you.
Speaker 2: Use a different disc like if you have for distance?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 2: Yeah, for distance, what's the difference weight?
Speaker 4: What side the size? The weight?
Speaker 5: A little bit comes into play, but it's it's really the shape of the disc. Mostly the drivers are really thin around the edge.
Speaker 4: Cut through the air for the distance. The putters are rounded.
Speaker 3: I want to play now, I really do.
Speaker 2: I want to go into play every every sport there is baseball, football, whatever, there's basketball, tennis. They always have you know, you are these shoes you go jump higher. For example, I've got friends that look like me. The ride ten speeds and they'll put on the skins. They look like a thing of biscuits getting ready to pop because they got the skins tight stuff on. Is there a frisbee golf gear that they try to push on people like, Hey, this this shirt helps you so further because it's made out.
Speaker 3: Of you said, for sure, I thought it was a dumb question.
Speaker 5: Now, marketing is my background.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, else, I invented the pop tart.
Speaker 2: Could you imagine if the lights went out? It's probably just a seventy an fuse color to transfer.
Speaker 3: Okay, So there is gear.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's absolutely gear there. I mean in terms of like cells and frisbees and sure like that. You know that this frisbee is gonna throw farther and this one's gonna do better.
Speaker 4: You know, there's that sort of thing.
Speaker 5: And then you have like your chalk bags and your very specific disc golf bags, and you know they're even coming even coming out with shoes.
Speaker 2: Now, I gotta have the best gear, all the shoes before I go to play with you. I gotta look. Is there league?
Speaker 5: Yes, there are leagues and clubs around here. We host our women's league, our ladies League.
Speaker 4: It's called Louisville Ladies Disc.
Speaker 5: Golf and Kristin Reeves and I co founded that just this year when I came back to Louisville.
Speaker 4: I really wanted to.
Speaker 5: Grow the sport for the ladies locally, and so we host events monthly.
Speaker 4: Around town.
Speaker 5: And we're doing a fundraiser to send all the ladies in Louisville and beyond to a major in June, USWD.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, So is there besides the league? Is there beer?
Speaker 5: Monday nights? Monday nights, Kristin and I host the most successful putting league around and it's at ten twenty Brewing in Butchertown. Yeah, And we show up early and set up a really cool course that's nine holes throughout the brewery and that's, you know, part of our fundraiser. And there's plenty of beer, plenty of pizza, plenty of fun.
Speaker 4: We average forty people, I bet every single week.
Speaker 3: See, I'm terrible at golf. I quit golf years ago. My kids were little and I said, I can't spend six hours on a golf course. I want to spend it with them. But I quit also because I was in white nose terrible. I'm terrible golfer. Well, but this could be something where I could do and be better at it than golf.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, I would definitely say it's much more accessible than golf.
Speaker 2: Right. See, I'm actually I'm excellent at golf except for two things, the clown's mouth and the windmill. Other than that, I'm golden on every single So are these courses free at the park?
Speaker 5: Yes, they're always free. That is a big difference between golf.
Speaker 2: Oh, oh my gosh.
Speaker 5: It's just a really accessible sport for so many, for kids, for for anybody, because you know, a Frisbee is less than twenty bucks. And then all the course, most all the courses are free. They are all free at the park. There's a few private courses that are pay to play, but they're very inexpensive, usually five dollars a wrest.
Speaker 3: Surely go to Amazon and I can look up.
Speaker 7: I sent you guys a link to a starter set okay on Amazon, twenty five bucks. That's got fair away Frisbees, mid range potters.
Speaker 2: Yes, towels. I've got to go with something better. I've got to have the best.
Speaker 4: Here's what I would a thousand dollars.
Speaker 5: The better way to do that is support our local store. Yes, it's right across actually the river in New Albany. They may potentially be coming over here to Loisville, but they support all of our events.
Speaker 4: They show up to our events and vend for them. What disc golf.
Speaker 8: Mart, disc golf, I mean, that's then the name of the business is disc golf Mart.
Speaker 3: And they stay open.
Speaker 5: They are open and there that is really growing. That's just talking about the growth of Frisbee golf of disc golf in right now. There's more than I believe it's over fifteen thousand courses around the world, and that is twice as many courses as there was in twenty seventeen. Like, that's how fast that's growing. Most towns, Like there's a store in Indie. Disc golf Mart's in Indie. Here, there's like three of them. I'm sponsored by a store up in New Hampshire called Union Square disc Golf in a small town up there. So it's growing so much. There are so many stores, so many courses popping up, and I really want to get more courses. We really want to get more courses here in Louisville.
Speaker 4: I visited Iceland. I play around the world, so I played in.
Speaker 3: Iceland, of course, Iceland.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yes, I went to Iceland to play in May and it was a ma Their population is three hundred and eighty thousand.
Speaker 4: What is that a third of Louisville.
Speaker 5: Yeah, maybe they have ninety nine disc golf courses.
Speaker 4: Wow, Louisville has four.
Speaker 5: So once upon a time we were really big right in disc golf, and now we're falling behind. And I really want to make a push for that because you know, you think about the other things the parks has and how many people that serves a disc golf course can have seventy two people on it comfortably at a time, and more than five hundred people can go through a day. There's even stats on how this is great in parks for like neighborhood watch and stuff, because you always have somebody.
Speaker 3: You've sold it. You got it, Cassie, You've sold it. I'm in now, Cassie. I will tell you this. This interview has been a thousand times more interesting than I thought it was going to be because if you pitch people and go, what do you guys, what's on the show today? We're going to talk about disc golf? Okay, but this was really fascinating. I love the conversation. What is how do they get a hold of you and then how do they get a lesson and go? The gonna go buy their discs from the new Albany place, right, yes, and then how do I get out there? And you're gonna say, here's how you play, here's.
Speaker 4: How you play.
Speaker 5: You can look up on Instagram or Facebook loive of ladies disc golf and it's not for ladies. Just the ladies are running the events. But it's for everybody. And the cool thing about discolf and everybody in this room could show up. An entire family can show up to a discolf tournament and there's a division for everybody and we all play together.
Speaker 2: Bet you I get picked last? Hey Dave Jennings, Yes, what happens when you get your frisbee golf disc stuck in a tree?
Speaker 1: Jeez, I don't know what happens?
Speaker 2: Right, You got to call the branch manager.
Speaker 4: Oh stop, you could break out some of that cool gear. We have reachers that reach up in the trees.
Speaker 3: But this conversation has been way more fascinating and I'm in It's something the whole family could do, right'thing athletic level you are? You can throw a damn disc.
Speaker 5: There's so many and now we're having we're averaging more than we have more than twenty women that are in it now from like women that are too athletic to women that have never played the same for kids or men just never been into any sport or athletic and suddenly they're into disc golf and it's just it's just really a lot of fun. It's really easy to pick up on pretty quickly. So you can find us at lol Ladies disc Golf on Facebook or Instagram. We have a tournament coming up in Butchertown or not in Butchertown sorry, the course name is Butchertown. It's in Elizabethtown on January twenty fifth. We're having these out door winter tournaments and we're getting more than fifty people showing up to tournaments.
Speaker 3: All right, that baby man, Wow, Cassie, we might have you back.
Speaker 4: I you know, I would love to be back.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I want to hear the story about when you won the Nobel Peace Prize. We'll say that for another time.
Speaker 3: Ely, It's nice to meet you too. Good luck with theater, okay, And then can.
Speaker 5: I say, yeah, if we would love to get some sponsorships. What we're trying to do our main fundraiser right now, we're trying to raise the money to send all the women in our city to USWDGC that's happening in Wisconsin in June. It's one hundred and fifty for amateur, two hundred and fifty for pro players to attend this event, which that's quite a bit. And our goal is to raise five thousand dollars so that we can fund every single woman to go and then we're all going to take a road trip up there together. Any donations would be great sponsorships for our tournament coming up. We're partnering with Trevor Harbolt. He is a traveling pro okay and it's it's his dad's private course that we're doing this tournament on nice and any donations to Louisville Ladies disc Golf at Gmail. That's at gmail dot com. That's the PayPal. It's a whole sponsorship. You can be sponsored for a hole for twenty five dollars. You can sponsor an entire lady to go for one hundred and fifty dollars or two fifty. Every little bit really helps in a game that is just now growing and doesn't have a lot of money in it.
Speaker 3: Awesome, Cassie is thank you for coming in today. We're going to be disc golf playing now yes, and you might want to talk to the guy that's coming up next. He might have an end for you.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, that's the mayor.
Speaker 3: All right, we need to do three right here.
Speaker 2: Bro Okay, here we go. Shady raise, shady raise. Baby. When you're out there in the sunshine with your disc golf, you're gonna love your shady rais. Color rush is what you need. All the colors, just much more bright and vibrant. Plus if you lose them, if you break im, if you scratch them, if they're stolen, if a frisbee hits them, they'll replace some shady Rais in the Oxymoor Center or Shady Rais.
Speaker 3: Dot com, Heland and Eland one percent commission rate five nine twenty eight hundred and five nine nine twenty eight hundred. You're selling a house this year. One percent means you keep the equity in your home. And Jefferson Animal.
Speaker 2: Hospital Jefferson Animal Hostles donating blood. That's crazy. Did you know that your animal, your dog, your cat could save another dog or cat's life? They can. Yeah, baby, listen to this. If your dog's over fifty pounds and your cat's over ten pounds, they qualify or could qualify to be a pet blood donor where every donation, every donation from your pet, can save four to six pet lives. Plus there's a benefit. They get regular examinations, blood work, vaccines all at Jefferson Animal Hospital on the outer loop called nine hundred Pets nine hundred Pets, or visit pet blood bank dot com. Stick around really in the years next and then Mayor Craig Greenberg News Radio eight forty whas do it? Baby?
Speaker 1: Are you guys ready?
Speaker 2: Can you hear me?
Speaker 1: I got you? Where's Tony?
Speaker 2: Don't be the sixties? I don't know where Tony's at. No, Kelly Jones was supposed to play.
Speaker 1: Too, Well, it's just you.
Speaker 2: I guess let's go. I don't need them weighing me down. Anyway.
Speaker 7: We'll get you started. These were all top twenty hits back in the day. I did your favor. I did not pull out the nineteen sixties.
Speaker 2: Oh good, okay?
Speaker 1: How about this.
Speaker 7: From just up the road John campcugar Melon Simour Indianna. You guys are gonna nail this year without a problem.
Speaker 2: Well, no, we're in the eighties. You can laughing, joke and make fun of your friends.
Speaker 7: Thanks for joining us, Stony sorry you Coop talked about so cool.
Speaker 1: Okay, guys, the mayor is calling me right now, Okay, we'll go.
Speaker 3: Is the mayor not coming in he's calling? Uh well, put us on holding. Yeah, we'll talk here for a second. Cassie was a trip, wouldn't.
Speaker 1: She close this?
Speaker 2: John Camp Cougar Melin, this is a eighty. I think it's eighty two.
Speaker 3: That's what I was thinking.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, because this was not off on huh No, this might be eighty tho.
Speaker 3: This is earlier, earlier stuff. Yeah, it's eighty eighty.
Speaker 8: Eighty one, might be eighty because because uh huh was eighty two.
Speaker 2: I think it's eighty maybe eighty one.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's get another one in here. Laura Bran again.
Speaker 2: Oh now, yeah, it sounds seventies.
Speaker 3: It's it's nineteen eighty. I think it's nineteen eighty. Remember that TV show Fame. This sounds like that era, right, Fame was a movie first and then it was a TV show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the mayor is going to call us back, coming like, oh.
Speaker 2: Wow, rock the cast eighty one.
Speaker 3: Eight eight one, Bro, I'll say eighty one because it's January.
Speaker 1: January.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what January. Thank you. Yeah, but that makes me want to say eighty two. I want to go eighty two. Now I know, Kelly, you can talk. You don't have to do hands, so you can get get here with us. Kelly Jones, I think it's eighty two. Hang on, hang on, sexual healing.
Speaker 1: Marvin Gay, God, nothing wrong with that.
Speaker 2: Eighty one. Nope, let's make love. Dwight.
Speaker 3: I think these are eighty one, and I think it's January, so I think it is eighty two.
Speaker 2: I'll go nineteen eighty two. He's hot, just like an oven.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he was dead at this point. Or no, she was older than you think it's nineteen eighty two. Oh, mickey, this is Tony Basil. No, you're right, it's eighty two.
Speaker 2: You're right.
Speaker 3: This is eighth grade for me. It's eighty two.
Speaker 2: Was left in eighty one, it's eighty two.
Speaker 3: Tell it's eighty two.
Speaker 2: I think so well, hang on, let's hear him.
Speaker 1: She was like in her late thirties.
Speaker 7: I think when this song, Yeah, hey, Mickey.
Speaker 1: The number one song on this sty number one. Get to the mayor on time.
Speaker 2: This was number one. It's January, it's eighty two, it's nineteen eighty two a minute work Yep, lock me in, Baby, get my day Final nineteen.
Speaker 3: Eighty two for a Friday w U, I'm premature, Kelly Jones confirmed premature eighty two.
Speaker 7: Baby, I'm hitting it all right, yes men at Worked down Under was number one January the tenth. Sure it started its rise up the charts in nineteen eighty two, but it was number one in nineteen eighty three.
Speaker 2: I know it got you again, stupid January.
Speaker 1: My friend or Sabato good one?
Speaker 3: All right, back on news Radio eight forty w H is all right, we are back news Radio eight forty w H as Tony Dwight Show with Dave Jenny's bought you the Kentucky Office of Highway Safety. You bring in Mayor Craig gray Bird right now, Hello, Mayor, how are you?
Speaker 6: I'm doing real well. I thought, you know, there's a new Jerry Springer documentary on Netflix, and I thought with that lead in intro, I thought maybe I had my dialogue wrong. It was Jerry Springer shower.
Speaker 3: Oh boy, that's crazy. I can't wait to watch that. The de evolution of television. All right, so let's give you a round applause for the streets and I know you're going to pass that credit along, but we've all lived in this town, our entire lives fifty five years and it's gotten better every year. But you know what, this was a home run. The roads being cleared was a was an absolute Super Bowl win. Congratulations.
Speaker 6: Well thanks, I hope when you know, not totally in the clear yet. We've got snow that's just started to fall. I'm actually driving around the city right now and it is starting to come down. I'm hopeful that it stays like this throughout the day, so even if it keeps snowing, it doesn't impact our coades. But our teams have done a tremendous job and we're going to keep at it. And look, we're not perfect. There's still some areas we know we have to improve on. We know there are still some neighborhoods that are not on snow routes that want their plows, and we're going to look at that before the next stormst is that if we can expand the routes that we have. But I like you guys, I'm pleased with the work our crews have done and we're going to stay at it as long as we need to.
Speaker 2: I want to piggyback what Tony just said, because I think you all did a quite incredible job cleaning these roads, because I've been through a lot of snowstorms in louisvill Kentucky, and then when I came in, the roads were indeed clear. Same with Jaytown Public Works, by the way, but you also worked city Hall and Mary Craig Greenberg, you worked in concert with other companies like LG and E to make you pre get you pre worked out what's going to happen with the power outages. And if you ask me, by working in concert together, that was quite helpful too, because the power outages they weren't that long.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we that was very very helpful. I mean, part of it was mother Nature. That was the only area of cooperation she had this week. Was didn't give us as much freezing ice on Sunday and Monday as might have been projected. But LG and HE has been making a lot of upgrades to their equipment to be able to take more ice if and when that happened. So that was helpful. And just you know, they had crews ready on standby for when that happened. And so we were very fortunate. Yesterday we had in the vent out by the Waterston Expressway with a downpower line that did result in the Waterston being closed. They could get that fixed, but otherwise there were no major power issues at scale, So we are fortunate on that front.
Speaker 7: I'm not going to ask you to throw another mayor under the bus. We're not going to have wildfires here in Louisville in all likelihood.
Speaker 1: But as you watch it, I'm not.
Speaker 7: But as you watch what's unfolding, as a mayor, what do you think of the situation?
Speaker 6: You know, dealing with this is everyone. You might talk about this or that throughout the year, but at the end of the day, what people are looking for from their city government is for the basic service is to be delivered and delivered well, whether that's your trash pickup, whether that's filling potholes or when there are challenging times like snow to clear the roads. And so we try to stay focused on that every day. There's a lot of other huge plans we have for twenty twenty five and beyond for the city that are going to make it safer, that are going to make it stronger, that are going to make it healthier, we stay focused on that, and we got a lot of people working on that even during the snow. But we've got to deliver on the basic services like snow and so you know, that's why we spend so much time on that and leading up to When you know something like this is coming, you got to go all in. And that's why I'm so thrilled to have great deputy mayors, to have great directors of Public Works and other departments and emergency services and LMPD, and it just really helps them have a whole team of people. But I'm a hands on type of person, ask a lot of questions. I don't profess to be an expert, but I think when you ask a lot of questions, you learn a lot and you can get better results.
Speaker 3: Greenberger is on with us. We will have a snow event that will start here if it hasn't already three to five inches. And it's funny because we all after this last event normally three to five inches, we all be freaking out right now, but since it's last weekend, we're like, it's only three to five, so let's talk LMPD. The I saw coach coach, I saw Chief Humphreys. I saw Chief right, But he had a great answer for a good question, which was the new MPD cadet class graduating nine members to the force. And they said, why isn't that number higher? The normal class is forty eight, I think is a full class, and he said, because we're not just taking anybody, We're going to take the quality police officers and put them on the street. I thought that was a fantastic answer your thoughts.
Speaker 6: I totally agree with Chief Humphrey. That's actually on my way right now to be with them at their graduation here shortly. And we've got to we've got to get more police officers. But we want the right people. We want qualified people. We want people from all walks of life, from all all parts of the city, lots of different backgrounds, you know, but we have high standards. And I think that's right. I think that's what Chief I'm free wants, It's what I want, and it's what the community wants. So we're gonna keep going. We we do have more people that are applying, and so that's on an uptick. That's a positive first step, and I'm excited about the future of LMPD given the leadership that we have you know, I don't know if you saw it. You know, they continue to work. There might be ten inches of snow on the ground, but they're still responding. And whether it's them, the firefighters of the EMS, nobody slowed down this week. They kept working. There's even you know, we had a couple of really dangerous situations earlier in the week where that guy who shot an Indiana State Police officer came to Louisville, and our guys handled that situation. You know, it ended in a h in his desk after he shot at our officers. But that happened in the snow. There were some other really challenging situations, and then they're still at it, rain, snow, steed as hell.
Speaker 2: I want to bring up another organization and I've got a question for you. Mark Greg Craig Greenberg is our guest. I also want to say that, hey, some of these Metro Safe men and women, they actually spent the night at LOUISVI Metro Safe on air mattresses just so they could be there to answer the nine to one one calls. So I want to give a shout out to them. But I also want to ask you about this and if you can comment. Do if you can't comment, I will understand. Uh, there is a there was a little of a business, a food hall that got in Well, they've got a violation and a h for taking in homeless because they'd have the right permits and evidently they are going to be cited. Is there any way that that can be dropped or can you.
Speaker 6: Come here's the here's the issue that we're that we're dealing with there. We want to support everyone who wants to help others. And if you've heard me all week, I've been encouraging neighbors to help neighbors. We have funded various warming centers, our libraries and community centers owt but neighborhood place. We've even funded other nonprofit organizations to be day shelters to be placed to help people come in from the cold. The challenge that we have is if people want to help others, just reach out to the city and let us help you. In the past, we've had some really negative experiences in the city where people brought people together and it turned into a brothel. Buyers broke out like there is the risk of dangerous situations if you're just improvising on the fly, and so we want to help neighbors. Help neighbors, just reach out and call and will help you do it the right way.
Speaker 2: Do you know if that business is going to be fined for that or.
Speaker 6: I don't know. I'm aware of the citation, I'm aware of the case. I don't know exactly where it is or what's going to happen. I'm going to follow up on thatch. But my request to everybody is is that's great to help other people. Reach out and let us help you do it the right way, just as we have with great nonprofit partners. We've got two great partners in the southwestern part of the city that are operating day shelters to help people come in from the coal to help provide support. That's you know, we want a fund and support and I'm guess I'm doing it the right life.
Speaker 2: And I'm guessing right now we are in a white flag situation.
Speaker 6: Right now, we are and we will stay at least through Tuesday. We'll see what the weather does then, but right now we're planning to stay at white flag operation at least through Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 7: With fire departments in the news, let's take a look at ours. I've seen stories about infrastructure challenges and outdated equipment.
Speaker 1: They want money. Do we have it for them? What's the status there.
Speaker 6: We're going to keep working to get it. You know, some of the challenges that we're dealing with as a city are the result of lack of decisions that were made for the last twenty years, and so it's really tough to catch up in just a couple of years. But I was thrilled this year we had a sixteen and a half million dollar budget surplus. The vast majority went of had to improve public safety, including by five or six million dollars that went to provide more fire equipment and to improve fire houses. There are a couple of firehouses that we need to totally redo. Most of them need work. If they don't need to be redone, but they need work. And so as long as I'm mayor, I'm going to continue to support capital investments in improving the quality of our fire houses and to make sure we have better fire trucks and apparatus, just like with snow trucks. You know we're behind on we need some more plows and things like that, and we're going to keep buying them all.
Speaker 3: Right, last question, and you can get to these new cadets and I can't wait to meet all these guys. And I hope you bring all of them over here like the last class. I think they came over here week and they said, look, ask the news guys questions and you know how to not step in it and all that. We'd love for that to have.
Speaker 6: All right, I love it.
Speaker 2: Let's do that, absolutely that okay, yea. And I offered to give them physicals, but that was frowned upon. So I will ask you this.
Speaker 3: So I'll ask you this, and it's give me a short answer or a long answer either way. What do you think you need to work on this year as mayor as you like. I don't talk about a department or people that work under you, is what is Craig Greenberg do need to do better than he did in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 6: Well, there are a few things that I've committed to myself over the holidays that I'm going to do a better job. And I think I've already started this year. Is I'm going to provide even more real time, direct feedback and communication with the folks that I work with, not going to let things risk lingering. I'm going to be very clear, and I think honest, open communication, even if it might, you know, be a challenging conversation, is important and so I've been doing that, but I'm going to commit to do even better, particularly with the people that I work with at that because I think that's that's doing a favor to the end of your colleague. It's also important to get the results that I know everyone in the city is expecting. And there there is no time to waste. I've got two years left on my first term. I'm not going to waste a day or a minute, and we have high expectations, and I have high expectations of myself and everyone that's on our team.
Speaker 2: It's look, you were handed a blank show when you took over office. But if you ask me, you're doing a damn good job and you're not going to turn it around overnight. But Greig Greenberg was our guest. Thank you, mister, Mary, appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Get those guys and gals on the street, buddy, we'll see you.
Speaker 6: But maybe the time and then we'll get into the studio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe next time. You bring Rachel on.
Speaker 3: Alright, stop it. I will have a great weekend back after this. But First, let's run through a couple of simple.
Speaker 7: If you're not fixing the dings and dents on your car, because I think it's going to be a few thousand dollars, it might only be a few hundred, no insurance involved. Changing the way body shops are run. Go to the simple body Shop dot put the thch up there. You can choose the service. You can make an appointment, update your photos, upload your photos. Actually they'll get right back to you, and you can fix your car, have your beautiful vehicle back again for a lot less than you thought thesimplebodyshop dot com.
Speaker 2: Then you can take the money that you saved and you buy yourself a Southern covered hot tub and have a vacation right there in your own backyard. Think you can't afford a hot tub, thank again, loved ones hot tubs for as low as sixty five dollars a month plus twelve much same as cash. Southern covered hot Tub wants every family to have a hot tub seventy five oh one.
Speaker 3: Preston, what about bad Tony Vannetti eating the lots of pasta meatball sandwich in said Southern cover hot tub.
Speaker 2: I couldn't help but notice that you're doing a meatball sandwich from lots of pasta. Perhaps your sister with la like a panini.
Speaker 7: We have company coming over this weekend. We're feeding them lots of pasta. We have the chicken pot pie with the roasted vegetables, chicken, the perfect flaky crust and green beans, no peas.
Speaker 3: I was lazy yesterday and all I cooked for dinner was reveal. He took four whopping minutes and it was a delicious meal.
Speaker 2: Go to Lots of.
Speaker 3: Pasta thirty seven to seventeen, lexinggen Road in the heart of Saint Matthews back after this crusade for children. Trivia is coming up next. Our news radio eight forty WA Chance