Speaker 1: Necessarily endorse any of the products or services advertised on this program. Welcome to Katie r h. Garden Line with Skip Richter.
Speaker 2: It's just watch him as suprazy not sorry.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Good morning on a good Sunday morning. I'm glad you are with us today. You're listening to Garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Richter, and we're here to help you have a bountiful garden and a beautiful landscape and have fun in the process. If you'd like to give us a call, we're here to answer your gardening question. Seven to one three two one two k t r H. Seven to one, three, two to one two k t r H. I want to thank everybody down there in Wharton, Texas at the Ace Hardware Store, Uh Wharton Feed and Ace Hardware Store. It's called and boy, thats a nice new place.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: They've they've relocated and expanded into an A store and it is loaded with products and stuff. I was really impressed walking around and seeing everything. You're fortunate done in that area to get an Ace Hardware store to provide all those kinds of things that Ace provides. Thanks for having us out, first of all. Secondly, thanks to everybody who came out a good time. It was an enthusiastic crowd and really enjoyed visiting with you, answering gardening questions and whatnot. I appreciate also nitro Fross providing plenty of giveaways for that as well as the Ace Hardware store there. We had a giveaways of plants, we had just had a lot of different things people were getting. It was a it was a good day to come out and talk gardening. Well, here we are on Sunday and we're talking about looking at a week it's going to have some warm temperatures in it. And remember that I always tell you this, look at the calendar, not at the thermometer. Look at the calendar, not at thermometer. And what does the calendar say. The calendar says we're right at the beginning of October, and that is when pre emergent products for weed control need to go out. That's when our fall fertilization begins to go out. Actually late September early October. We look at fall fertilization. It can continue on into October if you like with the fertilizer. Don't delay though on the pre emergence because when you delay on pre emergence. You missed the boat. It's like my baseball analogy. You got to start swinging before the ball gets to the plate if you want to hit it. If you wait until it's already there, it's too late, you're going to miss. And let me tell you this. The ball is on the way, folks. That is true. NITROPHSS has their three step program to deal with things like this. First of all, there's a fall special fertilizer design for fall design to send your turf into the summer with more resilience, with more carbohydrates for cold protection, and therefore to come out in the spring better. This is something a lot of people don't know or think about, and that is that the fall fertilization is what your grass uses in the spring to come out of winter. That's the stored energy that helps your grass be stronger coming out in the spring. Second step from the Nitropas three step is barricade, which is a pre emergent herbicide. You put it down, you water it in, put enough water on there to get it down in the soil surface. You use half inch of water. You can just make sure you get it in there a little more as fine, it's not going to wash away. Those things are made to cling to the soil particles and when they do we try to sprout and it can't. But you got to get it down before the weed tries to sprout, because it's a pre emergent, before the weed emerges. Okay, if you already got weeds, that's a post emergent. That's a different approach, different timing, different approach. Pre emergent is barricade and it's in the fall, and timing is critical. Third step of the nitroposs three step is the fungicide called Eagle nitrophoss Eagle turf fungicide. It is a systemic meaning the grass takes it up, holds on to it so that when brown patch or large patches it's called a pierce, or when take all root rot tries to infect, you've already got the protective fungicide in there to prevent infection by those diseases. Again, timing is critical. If you wait until brown circles appear, fungicides are not going to turn brown circles green. They prevent brown circles. So you got to get down ahead of it. We get a cul front, get over it. The rain we're going to at San brown Patch, so you got to get that thing down ahead of it. One two, three, Night Fruss three step. Now you're going to find night Fuss three step and in chinned gardens and Richmond Shades of Texas, in the woodlands and plants for all seasons up there on Tomball Parkway. Whatever you do. If you're going to do something, don't delay because when you delay, what if they say he who hesitates is lost? I guess, and that is certainly now. The fertilizer, you know, if you delay on that, it's not the end of the world. Don't delay too long. But if you delay, it's not the end of the world. But boy, when it comes to preventing weed seeds and preventing diseases, don't delay. Get it done at the right time. You can go to my schedule online. For those of you who've never been to gardening with skip dot com, I encourage you to go. The free schedules are up there. The free nutsedge control information is up there, the free weed wiper is up there. The products to use in controlling various kinds of weed, it's up there and free, so bookmark that. Check back periodically. We are planning some new additions coming soon to the website, and I'd like you to be up to speed on it. You know, we answer gardening questions here online, but a lot of questions it's too long of an answer to try to talk through on the air. With all these product names and things that you know, you can't write it all down fast enough. That's why I put those things on the web so I can just point you to that and you can have success. Plus, you know, the day after the day after I hear something genses you remembering it or not always that great, right, especially if it's an unfamiliar term or something. But when you have the website, when you have those publications, you can refer back to them again and again. Or maybe your neighbor comes over and goes, I got those brown circles every year? What can I do? So you can say, right here, print it yourself. I'm not going to use my ink on your publication. Go home and print it yourself. That's good. Well, Plants for All Seasons is one of those what do we say, Mom and pop independent garden center here in the Houston area that has been here for a long time, and there's a reason for that, and the reason is they provide quality plants that want to grow here, and most important of all, quality help and assistance and products. When you walk into Plants for All Seasons, you may not even know what plant you need. You could just have got a shady area over here. I want some fall color in it. I've got a you know what I'm saying, I need a groundcover that grows in the sun. Whatever you tell them, they're going to be able to direct you to the plants. Maybe you say, you know what I'm want of those beautiful fall color planters, but I don't know what plants to put in it, what plants go together. They'll just walk you right through there, and next thing you know, you're on your way home with those and a quality bag of potting mix for putting in a container or for amending your soil, for example, they've got all all of that it. Plants for All Seasons. They're on the corner of Luetta and Tomball Parkway. That's high Way to forty nine, on the way to Tomball two eight, one, three, seven, six, sixteen forty six. Or go to the website Plants for All Seasons dot com. They are truly lon and garden experts. I'm going to take a quick break here and I'll be right back, and we are looking forward to visiting with you and helping with your questions. You know, we want you to have a bountiful garden. We want you to have a beautiful landscape, and especially I want you to have fun in the process. Gardening is fun. It should be fun. It's not fun when you're fighting weeds. It's not fun when you're dealing with fire ants and when you're dealing with heat and all those kinds of things. When you're having to dig up stuff and replant it because it died, that's not fun. But those can be avoided, they really can. This is not that difficult to do if you just follow some rules. You know, I always say, wherever sunlight hits a soil, nature plants of weeds. So how do you avoid weeding all the time in your gardens and your garden beds, Well, malts, don't don't leave the soil. Bear, don't let sunlight hits of soil, because if it does, you're going to get the opportunity, let's put it that way, to pull weeds. Now, there's some weeds that come through malts like bermuda grass for example, and others. But in general, the weed seeds, you don't give them sunlight, they're not gonna come up. So that's just one tip that makes gardening easier and more fun. And we'll give you a lot more than that. Is to go through the course of the shows each weekend here on Guardline. We're on from six am to ten am on Saturday and Sunday. So tell your friends and neighbors about garden Line. That guy that won't take care of his yard, maybe just drop a hint that, oh, there's this fun show. Won't you listen to it? Help all our property values go up? Well, you get the idea. Anyway, I'm your host skip director. We're here to answer your gardening questions. I want to tell you that, you know, a lot of people are doing it yourselfers. They want to do everything themselves, and that's good, that's fine. A lot of people want people to come in and just just take care of it. Just I want it to look good. I don't know what I'm doing. I'm not good at this. I don't have an eye for design or whatever. Well, Pierscapes is the company for that. They can do a lot of those things. They can create gorgeous landscapes and they do. You can go to their website peerscapes dot com and see examples of the outstanding work that they do. I mean you need to go check it because don't believe me. Just go look yourself and you'll go, oh, I didn't realize it was that nice, And yes it is. They do outdoor hardscapes. They do at a landscape, lighting, drainage, and you know how it is here in the Southeast Texas area, when it rains, it pours, and when it pours, we have standing water and plants don't like that, and so they can fix that. Is your irrigation system not working, you know, you're sprinkling drinking water all over the landscape trying to trying to keep things alive. And boy, you sure would like to do it efficiently, right, so you don't waste your money and the water. Well, they can fix that for you too. They do quarterly maintenance of your beds if you wish, they'll come out in every quarter. They'll do the mulching in, the planting new color plants, and the aeration, fertilizing, weeding. You know, check your irrigation system, all of that. It's all a Pierscapes. Piercescapes dot com is the website. I would recommend you do that or just give them a call to eight one three seven fifty sixty two eight one three seven o five zero six zero at Piercecapes. So we were talking yesterday when when I was down in the Wharton area with some gardeners. We're covering a lot of different topics. The one of the things we spent some time talking about was nuts edge, because that's such a problem for a lot of people. One of the worst weeds worldwide, one of the worst weeds that there is, and if you've dealt with it, you know what I'm talking about. It is frustrating. It causes sweet gardeners to use language that should never come out their mouth on a Sunday morning because it is so frustrating. It's like you can't get rid of it. Yes, you can go to my website look for the publication an in depth look at nutset. There's two nut Sets publications. One short you can just skim over it, but you need to read the longer one because it explains the weed and how it works and therefore, how you go about controlling it. And if you don't do that, if you just squirt it once in a while with herbicides, you're not going to get anywhere, as you may already know, if you chop it off or try to dig it up, you're not going to finish the job that way. But there are ways to get ahead of it. And it's on the website and it's all free. It's as simple. It's as simple as that. Did any of you go out to chenn It Forest yesterday? Danny was out there giving a talk. Well, of course he's out there as the owner, but he was out giving a talk on trees, because fall is for trees. He was talking about the favorite trees that he has for gardening, the things that he most enjoys that if he finds the best success with. And hope you got a chance to do that. If you didn't go on out there now and just say, hey, I wuldn't hear yesterday, what are the trees you recommend? Because they have a great stock of trees out there. While you're out there, you're going to find fall color. You know, we talk about mums in the fall all the time. Well, asters are another great fall color plant. And that place in Chennon Forest is loaded with beautiful asters, really really impressive. Every time I walk out and see the newest color that they have, it is, it is outstanding. All your fall color plants are out there. It doesn't matter what you're looking for to have beauty, it's going to be there. They got lots of events coming up all the time. They got some. Oh, they got great camellias. If you've ever thought about planning a camellia for blooms in the winter. One type blooms more in December, one a little bit in January. Better in January. They are full of buds. Their commitees are loaded up and ready to pop, and now is the time to get them. In fall is the best time to plant. What are you ornamentals and perennials of any type in your gardens and garden beds, and so take advantage of it. If you haven't seen their Talavera pumpkins for decoration, unbelievable, they are just just go see them or look that up online or so I. Talivera pumpkins are gorgeous and they've got them at a Genta Forest Nursery and they're beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. You won't your fall color. Hey falls for gardening in the vegetable garden and in the herb garden, and they're loaded up and of course all the landscape color. Enchanting Forest is at on FM twenty seven to fifty nine, FM twenty seven to fifty nine. So if you're at Richmond heading towards sugar Land, it's off to the right FM twenty seven fifty nine. Here's a phone number two eight one nine three seven ninety four forty nine. Two eight one nine three seven ninety four forty nine. I would also encourage you to go to their website, enchanted Forest Richmond TX dot com. Chanted Forest Richmond, t X dot COM's outstanding site. Lots of good information there. Well, you're listening Guardenline. Our phone number is seven one three two one two k t r H. You know, early in the morning, it's a good time to get on the phones.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 3: I know a lot of you gonna wait till the end of the show on Sunday to make your calls. It's a tougher time to get in then, so take advantage of it. If you want to give us a call, do it when we have a little more time to be able to handle your calls. One of the things that was talking with some gardeners about down at the Ace Hardware and Wharton yesterday, we were discussing someone was looking for an organic fertilizer that would, you know, provide the nutrients that they needed for fall, and we were talking about the micro Life brown Patch. Brown Patch by Microlife is a fertilizer that has a little less nitron, a little bit more potassium, which is what we look for in the fall, and it's loaded with micronutrients. And so you had a couple of things going on there. You got the nutrition at the proper balance and rate. Secondly, you've got all the microbes. And there are good microbes and bad microbes, at least from our opinion, there are. And when you have a lot of good microbes, it can do several things. Number one, they can directly compete against or attack microbes that are not let's say they're malevolent. Oh I like that malevolent microbes. MM. The good guys fight the bad guys in that sense, but they also outpopulate them or outcompete them on the plant's surface, because everything's covered with the microbes. Your skin is covered with microbes right now. I mean even just took a bath, You've got microbes all over your skin and they often help. And so by putting out microlife fertilizers, adding good microbes to the surface, you help fight diseases and brown patch. That's why they called it brown patch. That's a Faull disease and got to get in ahead of it. Also recommend you do micro grow bio inoculant when you do the microlife brown patch. Now, biinoculant is not a nutrient laden fertilizer. It is a microbe proliferation of microbes fertilizer. Sixty three different beneficial strains of micro organisms in that product. You sprinkle it out there, you turn on the water, splash it around a little bit, and it is a way it inoculates your soil with just treetons of beneficial microorganisms for better success. So that combo punch for fall is really a good im It's for microlife. You know, Microlife's available everywhere you can go to You can go to excuse me, the website Microlife Fertilizer dot com and see the places that it has. But you're gonna find it a lot of places. I talked about being at an ACE Hardware down and Wharton. ACE hardware stores carrying microlife products. In fact, ACE hardware stores carry every kind of thing. If I talk about a pest control, we control a fertilizer, it's going to be at ACE Hardware. And there's forty eight ACE Hardware stores in the area. So the thing I like about ACE, I always like going into a new ACE because each one's a little bit different, you know, each one's just a little bit different because they're independently owned. So I was down in Wharton looking at that ACE. I've never seen an ACE just like that one. It had all these cool features. There's standard things you're going to get in every ACE Hardware store. There are, including from a landscape standpoint, the fertilizers I talk about on guardline for a beautiful lawn, a beautiful garden success and growing trees and shrubs and other plants. You're going to find the tools you need. You're going to find things from water hoses to pruning tools to you name it at ACE Hardware stores, and you're going to find that array of products to control pest weeds. Diseases and fertilizer plants to stimulate good growth and good health. So if you want fall fertilizer, you're going to find it at Ace Hardware store, and you're going to find options, more than one option. When you go into an ACE hardware store and they have a wonderful new one down in Wharton that was just I really enjoy I was very very impressed with it. I was telling my wife on the way back as we came back that you know, when I grew up, the Ace hardware stores were kind of a generic thing. You know, they had their standard kind of brands and things that they carried. Now it is so different. I mean, you look at the top brands of anything, and you're going to find him at Ace Hardware. I was walking around the Wharton Ace and you know, I happen to never see a power tool that I don't like. I'm really into power tools like that, and they had just top brands, the brands I like especially they're at Ace Hardware. And that's true of everything you find when you go into an Ace. It's a case they say Ace is the place, Well it sure is. ACE is a place for it. You fell in the blank and it will be true. We got holiday seasons coming up. It's important. We got it's time now to control fire ants. Get you a good fire at bait, a good fireant bait and Ace Hardware is going to be able to set you up on that tackle fire ants in the fall. Remember football's in the fall. Fire tackling curves in the fall with a product from Ace Hardware store a good bait. All right, time for me to take a break. I will be back in just a moment with your gardening questions. In the meantime, if you want to call Chris and get on the boards seven to one three two one two kt r H. Welcome back, folks. Good to have you with us today on Guardenline. I'm your host, Skip Richter and our phone number if you'd like to call in seven one three two one two five eight seven four seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four. I want to remind you that the folks with OBA, the Organic Horticulture Benefits Alliance, are going to have a program next Saturday on October fifth, called so you want to Grow Good Food? It's a conference that they're doing and the doctor Bob Randall, who is the author of lear Year Round Gardening is X. If you're interested in growing vegetables, it is the book you need to have here in the greater Houston area. Great detail, lots of good detail on it from a lifetime of learning, hands on and reading doctor Randall's excellent auth He'll be one of the speakers there. By the way, it's going to be at the Houston Arboretam and Nature Center from eight am to three thirty pm. If you want more information on the So you want to Grow Good Food conference, that will be found at OBA online dot org, HbA online, dot o, RG online dot or book. They always put on great programs the Organic or Culture Benefits Alliance.
Speaker 4: That is.
Speaker 3: This week. I've got a lot of stuff to get done out in the garden, and I know it's going to be warm. I'll get my work done earlier in the morning. But remember, as I tell you over and over, it's the calendar that you need to look at, not the thermometer. So just get out early in the morning, get out late in the day, and get it done. Because now is the time. We had a lot of fall vegetables to get planted. If you've not planted broccoli and cabbage and cauliflying and coroabbie and collars and kale, and let's see what else. So we're putting out there. Charred can be planted now, Beets can be planning now, turnups can be planning now. A lot of things that can go in right now. As it cools off a little bit, then we'll start looking more toward things like spinach and lettuce, carrots like it to cool off a little bit more before they're going to be happy. But there's lots of great vegetables and vegetables. They're fun to grow, they're tasty. Your food will be fifteen hundred miles fresher if you grow at yourself. And if you got kiddos, well, they need to have the experience of growing their own food for a number of reasons, one of which is a lifetime of eating healthier. When kids grow vegetables, they're likely to eat the vegetables grew and a life habit of that is amazing. One of my granddaughters and this this has just always amazes me, but my daughter and son in law I have raised their kids to eat vegetables and it's just kind of a standard. You know, they're not big sugar eaters. In fact, the kids don't even really like sugar, which I think is what can a kid not like sugar? It's because they never eat it all and they love vegetables. I was gonna take We were going somewhere with one of my granddaughters in and we were going to go to get a bite to eat, and I thought, well, what would you like to buy? What would you like to eat? I was thinking, you know, I was going to hear fast food come out? No, they can we get a salad? Are you kidding me? What is wrong with you? It's not anything wrong, it's something right. And it's just you know, you you learned your taste PUDs or trained, you learn stuff and things. But I'm not saying, you know, advocating that you do all that kind of thing, although it wouldn't be bad for the kids. Good. But when you grow vegetables, you eat vegetables. When you eat right, you are healthier. And our number one problem health wise in this country is what we put in our mouth. That and lack of exercise and gardening gives you both. Get the kids out there. If you don't have you don't want to plow up a big back forty That is no longer what a garden has to be. That was the old days of gardening. Now you can drop a box on the ground, fill it with good quality soil, blend mix, and grow in it. It's as easy as that it is. Or a container. How about one container something if you don't even want to buy a container, get a five gallon bucket, droll holes in the bottom, fill it full of a quality putting soil, and grow some carrots or lettuce or kale or broccoli or whatever you want to grow. It is easy to do. So okay, that was my soapbox. That was my and it won't be the last one, by the way. I always say it will be, but it never is. But I just encourage you to do that. If you are up in the Magnoia area, Spring Creek Feed is our favorite feed store up there Spring Creek. I love going to it. It's a gorgeous, beautiful building out there on FM twenty nine, seventy eight and Magnolia. You walk out and it's amazing. You walk in and it's like wow this I expected a bunch of sacks of feed in front of the door when I walked in. It's beautiful, all kinds of products. If you have a garden or landscape, Spring Creek Feed has what you need. They've got pesticides like insecticide, fungicide, they have the herbicides, they've got organic, they've got synthetic. They even have some plants outside. And you know it when it comes to fertilizers, you're going to find the things you need to have a beautiful lawn there at Sprint Creek Feed too. Now, of course they're a full feed store. They got quality feeds. If you are a senior citizen or a military, there's a discount. If you are a youth in FFA or four eight raising animals, there's a discount. They do special orders there, and I can tell you this too. You will be greeted by friendly, courteous staff that that is they really specialize in that at Spring Creek Feed. Sore again at Magnolia on I FM twenty nine seventy eight, just a few minutes away from Graham Parkway and Highway to forty nine. We're going to head now to Spring, Texas and talk to Bonnie. Hello, Bonnie, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 6: Yees I weed that I can't get rid of well, I need something to put on. Okay, I looked it up on your Google winds that you recommend. Well, you said it was pretty good. It said it's naked stem dew flower.
Speaker 3: Whoa, I don't even know that one, Oh stem flower. Describe the weed to me. Does it have a bloom on it?
Speaker 6: Well, I've noticed it early in the morning. It's a tiny, little green purple flower that they the least look a light a lot like my Saint Augustine. And it grows along the edges of the house and the fence and the patio.
Speaker 3: And yeah, do you have a lot of it or is it?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Is it just in small patches or is there a lot of it?
Speaker 6: It's a lot, and it is encroaching on the grass a lot. I mean I let it go for a long time.
Speaker 3: And so yeah, that's cold. That's cold. Well, it's called dovewed. I think Google lens let you down on this one. But it's doveweed, and you can control it small patches. You can control it with a product that's a cinnamon based product from Agrillon sprinkling. You get it wet and sprinkle the cinnamon product on it and it just turns it black pretty quick. If you are looking at a larger area, I would suggest you get a product called Celsius. Like the temperature and it is very good against the doveweed, and just you just have to spray it. Follow the label very carefully. Since we're going to be up in the mid nineties, I would do the Celsius spray early in the morning when it's the coolest temperature of the day, and it will do the job for you. And you're going to find Celsius a number of different places. You know you're in the spring area. You got some ice hardware stores near you, that would be a place where I know you could find it up in your area.
Speaker 6: And just it's a spray or a granule.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 3: It's a spray, it's a little it's a little packet, So don't look for a bottle or a bag. It's it's a we call them blister packets. It's like a piece of cardboard with clear hard plastic over it and inside is this little packet. So when you walk up and that packet makes a gallon, and if you're just going to spot spray at a gallon will cover the pretty large area.
Speaker 6: So is this going to be harmful to my dog who likes to eat.
Speaker 3: Grass well used as directed on the label. It's it's not a concern. But if you, you know, if I would spray it, I would let it fully dry on the before you let Fido go out and play in the grass. But in general you should be okay on that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, okay, we'll try it.
Speaker 3: Thank you all right, Yeah, thanks, Boma. Appreciate the calls very much. Sure, good day. Yeah. I've never you know, I've never paid attention to what all dogs eat. That would be a good that'd be a good study. Maybe the garden line listeners could do that for me. What weeds and grasses and plants do your dogs eat? And we'll just accumulate a long list and we'll learn a lot from that. I know mine get this. They eat zenias. They go to a flower my wife flower beds, and they pass up all the plants and eat the zenias. I don't know why, but anyway, hey, let's take a break. I'll be right back. The phone number if you'd like to give us a call seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four. I was in a wa bird story the other day looking at some of their products because I love to do that. They have a lot of quality products, and it just reminded me this is hummingbird season and they have a ton of beautiful humming bird feeders. At Wildbird's Unlimited, they have a ton of any kind of bird feeder there. They have great feed quality feed, feed that goes into a bird's stomach. Now why would I say that. Of course, feed goes into bird summit. Not really. You buy cheap bird feed and those little red bebes get kicked off on the ground. Birds don't that's not their favorite. They don't care for that as much. And with wild birds, you get a sack of feed and it goes into a bird stomach if you don't want any mess at all. By mess, I mean you know kicking bird seed on the ground, or the little sunflower holes. You know, if they crack them open and get the seed, the holes fall down. You can get their no mess blends where something like sunflowers already shelled out, so it's all one hundred percent into the stomach of the bird if you will, And that way you get what you pay for, And I think that makes sense. At Waburs now my favorite feeder for the hummingbirds. By the way, they have is called the high perch, and the reason I like it. Think of it as a little bowl that the birds sit on and you can see the birds all around it. I've got some great, beautiful hummingbird feeders, but sometimes the hummingbirds on the back side and I can't see them. With a high perch, you can. It's just wash your safe on the top shelf. It's really easy to do. And you know, when you really want to bring in hummingbirds, you need more than one feeder, and you need to space them out because those little boogers they are territorial and they are just always fussing at each other and chasing each other around. And with a high perch feeder in more than one, you're able to really enjoy their antics, and boy are they for fun. We've got to get those little boggers fed and fueled up for the big flight across the Gulf of Mexico. So it's time to do that now. On a hummingbird stuff. You know, the orioles, Baltimore orioles have been coming through. They're on their way through as well. And then we get into the wintertime and we're taking care of our birds and a lot of other things. Want things that the squirrels can't get into. Wilbirds has got those. But mainly Wilbirds has the knowledge. You walk in there, you ask questions and they know what they're talking about, and they can help you have success. You know, if you say, well, I've been having trouble with filling the blank, they can help you fix that problem and have success at Wilberds. All you have to do is go to WBU dot com forward slash Houston. There's six of them here in the greater Houston area. You can go to Clear Lake, you can go to Cyprus bel Air Boulevard down in Paarland to Kingwood and then Memorial Drive. Those are six Wilbirds unlimited source. So north south east west, they got you covered this week. In the lawn, I'm gonna go ahead and get my lawn fertilization done. I've been trying to get around it to it and I just keep running around going to see gardeners and give talks and stuff, and so it's time for me to get that done. I always want to them that when you're fertilizing, if especially if you have a new fertilizer or a new fertilizer spreader. It's kind of like, well, what do I set it on? How do I know? You know, what is the best setting for me to have success? Well, a lot of times on the bag it'll tell you. But inevitably you got a bag and it lists all these spreaders, and you're spreader in on the list, and so what do you do? Well, if you're not sure, put the setting a notch or two above halfway. So if there's twenty settings, put it at eleven or twelve ten being halfway. If there's five settings, they're done three. That's probably about right. That's the best guess. But what I generally do, and I advise you to do this is to make sure and do that go a little lighter on it the first time. For example, if you go, let's just say north south doing your spreading a fertilizer, but you only do half of it north south, you do the other half east west, it helps create a more even spreading of the fertilizer. You don't have the stripes as much as if you accidentally do it wrong. Just go in one way. It also by doing it half it avoids if you overapply or underapply, you still have you know, you still have fertilizer there in the hopper where you can go the other way and keep going. I have fertilized before a number of years ago. I put fertilizer on a spreader, figured out how much I needed, and I took off across the yard. In about three fourths of the way across the yard, I ran out a fertilizer. It's like, oh, I misestimated how fast I needed to put it out. But if you underestimate, you can always go back the other way and finish the job. And it just makes it a little leisure and avoids that striping of the lawn. But there's a little tip there on the fertilizer. But whatever you do, get a fall fertilizer for fall one that is designed to help the plants go into winter. And basically what that means is drop the nitrogen down. We're not going to push them with growth nitrogen anymore for this fall, but have some nitrogen and then push that last number, the third number up, that's potassium. Because potassium and nitrogen going into a plant at the right ratio that helps build winter hardiness. It helps produce the carbohydrates which amount to anafreeze and the plant. Someone was asking me, you know, how can you say you know carbohydrates or ana freeze. Well, here, think of it this way. Carbohydrates sugars are carbohydrate. And if you make popsicles, you've ever made homemade popsicles, and you notice how the bot when they're frozen, the bottom is like water, and then up at the top is real sticky sugary stuff that didn't quite freeze even in the freezer, and that is because it's concentrated up there. The more sugar you have, the more carbohydrates you have in the water in a plant, the more cold, hardy it can be, and of course then you've got the fuel to come out in spring. I was visiting with the folks at RCW a while back about some of the trees and stuff. You know, they grow their own trees, and they have got an outstanding sale on plants, and you need to go check this out. RCW has their shrubs twenty percent off right now. Shrubs, and that includes one of one shrub I don't talk about much. Is gold Dust a Cuba. It's an evergreen. It's got big broad green leaves, the gold spots on them. It's reattractive, it's cold hearty in our area, and it grows in shade, shrub in shade. That's not a long list of plants, but gold dust to Cuba does well. They also have their trees fifteen percent off and they have the best trees. They've got the varieties that you know you need to plant here. If you want to something small you can plant like a seven gallon, they got it. If you want to go up to two hundred gallons, they got it, and they will plant it for you as well. They know how to do it, and then they have the supplies you need, the root stimulator and things to help that tree get off to a good start and have success. So RCW it's just the place to go. And now, of course they've got great fall decorations. It's always our go to place. When you're looking for the largest list of roses in town, that would be RCW Nurseries. And we're gonna be talking about that a lot. When we get past the first of the year. People think of February as rose planting and printing. Well, let me tell you this, so is the fall. The fall is an excellent time to plant roses. The fall is that the best time, hands down to plant shrubs, woody ornamentals like woody vines, woody woody tree. Of course, trees are woody and it just gives them all winter to get those roots established so they're ready for spring. We were talking about that just the other day, and so I encourage you to get that job done. There is not a better time. And if URCW is going to give you a discount like that, why don't I just go get them and get them in the ground. It's a win win win for you, that is for sure. So just keep that in mind. We're about to hit the end of our hour here. When we come back, Keith, you'll be our first biding here the music beginning. I want to remind you that next Saturday, I'm going to be at Buchanan's Native Plants and they are having one Hack of ash in Bog out there. I'm going to tell you about it as we go through the day to day. But they're going to have all kinds of activities for kids and stuff. We're going to be doing some really good giveaways out there. I'll be there to answer your gardening questions and Buchanan's is on Eleventh Street and the Heights, right in the big middle of this north of downtown Houston. It is a wonderful place to go visit. And I'll tell you this. When they throw a party, it's a good one, and they are they are throwing. There's even a band called Yopon. Is that a good name for a Southeast Texas band? Yopon? Of course it is. I guess it's better than Chinese talos. Another point, all too familiar round. All right, we'll be there, so make plans for next Saturday. I'll be there from twelve noons to two three m and I'll be right back in just a moment.
Speaker 1: Welcome to kt r H Garden Line with Skimp Richard.
Speaker 2: It's just watch him as many things to see, Baty.
Speaker 8: Sad.
Speaker 3: Hey, good morning, Good morning on a Sunday morning. Glad you're with us today on garden Line. I'm your host, Skiprector. We're here to answer your gardening question, simple as that. If you would like to give us a call seven one three two one two k t r H, we'll see if we can help you have more fun at gardening because you have a more bountiful and more beautiful gardening landscape. I like, but it that way because that's kind of what we're up to, right. We want our place to look good. We want our place to produce the things we want, flowers and fruit and beautiful you know, outdoors. Landscapes are basically a reflection of what we see indoors. You know, indoors, you've got carpet or hardwood or stone or whatever kinds of floors. You've got walls, and you've got ceilings. And when you go outside, the carpet is the grass your lawn. It is the groundcovers and the walls or shrubs, they could be vines, and the ceilings are certainly trees, and they could be arbors and other things like that with plants. So we have wall, ceilings and floors outside just like we do inside, and as we begin to build our landscape, we can create a really, really beautiful setting just that way. One of the things you need to do to have success is to make sure your soil is right, and Landscaper's Pride is all set up to do just that with a couple of dozen plus products that they offer. Their products like black velvet mulch, it's an organically composted hardwood mults beautiful velvety texture. It does well and twelve months out of the year is black velvet season, meaning cool season, warm season, spring and fall. You need to have the soil covered because wherever the sunlight hits the soil, nature plants a wheat. Black velvet does that for you. Now, they've got a planting mix that is very high quality. It's a balanced blend. It's got locally sourced pine bark as well as sandy loam, soil and the of course the organics that you expect in a good mix. And this planting mix works in pretty much any situation you want. So if you are building a new garden bed or just revamping a bed that you have and you want to kind of add some material, mix it in and get it ready for planting, because follows for planting, now's the time to do it. You can go to Landscaperspride dot com and find the store locator near you. They're widely available, easy to find, and as they say in Landscaper's Pride, Let's grow together. I think that's a good slogan and a good product for doing just that. Let's head out to the wood lens and we are going to talk to Keith this morning. Hello Keith, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 9: Good morning.
Speaker 10: I'm certainly glad to be here. It's my first call I have. Oh good, I have a Japanese maple tree that appears to be infested in the trunk area near the base. I sent you two photographs. It's a little, very small, little black bug. The lack of a knowledge or a better word, it appears to be a mite of some kind that's infesting this tree. I need to need to identify it and figure out how to deal with it.
Speaker 3: Okay, And you said there were two photos in it, Yes, in your email? Okay, yes, Oh, I don't see mites, but I see splits in the trunk. Do I have the right emi? That is correct? Yes? When you look really really sick, very fall Okay. Well, I don't doubt that there's some critters crawling around. Let me ask you a question. Is that a damage on the southwest side of the tree, north and south, north and south? Okay? Something has has physically damaged the bark and it looks like a canker type disease has gotten into it. Pretty soon. That outer bark is going to be flaking off. It'll just pull loose if it had and already. But the bottom line is you don't have a spray or anything you do for a canker. You just need to get the tree healthy. So what I would do is I would if you can create a moultched area around the base of that tree that keeps the lawnmower and the weed eater from bumping the bottom of the bark. That may have been how this got all got started. I don't know, but anyway, create a moltched area around the tree as wide as you can stand to look at, and then as far as the loose bark if you if it comes loose, pull it off, open it up with some vigor which means water during the hot, dry summer season, and fertilizer periodically to encourage vigor. That tree will close that area over with callous from the sides. And I already see in one of the photos where it's beginning to do that. But that's the best way to get rid of a problem like that, and I get that tree back in good health again.
Speaker 10: Okays, as far as a fertilizer is concerned, what do you recommend.
Speaker 3: There are a number of different ones. Nitrofoss makes a tree fertilizer that you can find in canisters and a lot of your local garden stores and things. I haven't shopped up in the woodlands closely for it. I know you've got some ace hardware stores that you can you can call on, uh and that that's a good thing. There's there's one, oh gosh, it's over there on Kirkandaal It's called Auspa Ace up in the woodlands. Go there. They may have a nitroposs. They may have one in Nelson's tree fertilizers too there and then Microlife also has a fertilizer designed for trees. But any of those, get them on the ground, follow the labels, get a good mulch around it. Japanese maples want to live in the woods, and so when we put them in the middle of the meadow, which is called our lawn, they're not as happy as they are when they're surrounded by decomposing organic matter like nature does in the woods. So try to recreate that for it with a little fertilizer water again during summer when it's dry, and I think they'll be okay, okay, wonderful. Thank you. So much. All right, you bet good luck with that, good luck without that one. Yeah, boy, photos help. I'm telling you guys, if you're going to give us a call and you want to call him, get email us in a photo, that's fine. Just remember. I just always have to remind of this because there's kind of an expectation. If someone emails you, they think you're going to answer, they expect you to. If my situation, I just time wise am not able to listen. There's a lot of folks already that are requesting things, and a lot of projects and things going on with the show, and I just there's a deluge of emails and I'm just not able to just answer all of them, and plus a lot of them require back and forth and photos and things. So if you just can semi photo give us a call, we'll be happy to do it. By the way, KEITHA, if you're still listening, it's interesting on one of your photos up at the top right on the trunk, there's a tiny little hair sticking out with a white glob on the end. That's a lacewing egg. Just noticed that in the photo. Lace wings lay their beneficial insects they eat aphids and other things, but the larva do. But they lay eggs by creating this silken strand. It's a quarter inch long, maybe maybe a little longer, and there's a white glob on the end that's the egg. And that way, when things are running along the surf of the plant that would eat their eggs, they don't see them because they're up there in the trees, if you will, trees being that strand, so got a beneficial inset going on. There's something good is happening on that plant. You're listening to Garden Line our phone number seven one three two one two five eight seven four seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four. Listen out in Kingwood you have two great garden centers, worn Southern Gardens and Kingwood Garden Center. And they've got their fall veggies and stock all the things I was talking about while ago, trying to talk you in to growing vegetables this fall, even if it's just in a container, hopefully a full garden bed. But even if it's in a container, they're pumpkin patches open. And I saw numerous varieties of pumpkins out there. I mean, all your decorating needs. You know, they've got the whole nine yards for fall decorating. Many of their trees are thirty percent off. And then they also have a sale on the turf Star carbo load, the micro Life sixty four, Microlife, brown Patch, Microlife' small Fermilizer, Sweet Green from Nitrovas, nitrovos is Fall Special, and Asimite are all on sale. But here's the deal you need to remember at Warren Southern Gardens. Tell them Skip sent you and you if you spend one hundred dollars or more, you get twenty bucks off. That's a huge discount on your purchase. Tell them Skip sent you. Warn Southern Gardens out there in Kingwood. Time for a break. I'll be right back. Looked outside a minute ago. Got a little light coming up, and boy, it's gonna be a good day. We got some good days in fall, and I'm telling you, cool weather is arriving. It will get here. I know, it's like, come on, man, get over with well. If you're new to this area, if you're new to Texas, just to remember, we have things called false falls first. That means the colfront comes through. We get some cool airs, like eh, summer's over and then summer comes back, and that's just the way it is. It's okay, it is okay. We will get our cool weather. It'll get here. But now's the time to do the things you're supposed to do now, because you should look at the calendar, not the thermometer when you're planning your garden and doing your garden activities. Work early in the day, take care of yourself, you know, don't overdo it. I get all that, but right now, fall planting of vegetables right now, fall flowers, lots of things that can go in right now. There is a ton of stuff that we need to do right now now. If you go to my website gardening with Skip dot com Gardening with Skip dot com, you'll find the schedules for your lawn, both lawn care schedules and the lawn pest disease and we'd management schedule. You'll find information on weed control that's very helpful. And we are planning a bunch of new things. So bookmark Gardening with Skip dot Com so you can keep coming back there, and all of our gardenline kinds of information that we talk about here are going to be available as we build it out further. And further, we're going to now go out to the woodlands and talk to Mike.
Speaker 4: Hello, Mike, Hey you, good morning, Skip. I just moved into a new home that's been vacant for some time, and I found out that they planted a hybrid bermuda called tiff Turf or tiff Tough. I'm sorry, tiff Tough. Okay, I'm wondering what you may know about that grass.
Speaker 3: Well, it is a hybrid bermuda, and it does just fine. It's a semi dwarf, and by semi dwarf, you know, it's not real tall, like a cattle pasture type of bermuda. But it's also not a golf course green bermuda. It's kind of in between. So we see it on golf course fairways, we see it on plate playing fields, you know, football fields, those kinds of things. But it's a good one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they said it's pretty. It's pretty grout tolerant, so that's good. I was getting ready to well thinking about in the fall doing a compost top dressing with the aeration. There's a lot of thatch in the grass. I'm just wondering, go, I need to remove that thatch before I put down the compost or just let it.
Speaker 3: It'll get to the surf. Yeah, it'll get to the surface a little bit better. The shorter your mobile muta, the denter it is, and the more difficult with a real dent. Like if you put compost on top of a golf green, to use an extreme example, it couldn't get through the thick tough you know, turf to get into the soil level.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 3: And so as you mowgrass a little bit higher, it's a little looser and stuff can move down in there. Uh. As far as that is concerned, you can use you know de thatching types of equipment or what they call verdict cutting, a vertical cutter. It's a machine that cuts vertical slices every few inches you know, across to get a lot of that thatch out and then you can rake it out and mold the lawn again, real nice and it gets better that way. You can do that. Uh, if it's not too dense, Yeah, go ahead and do the the corporation and compos stop dressing. Remember, the main thing bermuda needs is lots of sunlight and frequent mowing to look its best. Those are the two things that are the biggest factors with a nice bermuta one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a few neighbors that have the same type of grass and they have got theirs up really high. It's like two inches or almost three inches thick. If you look at it from the curb, it just sticks up real high and it looks great. But this hadn't been taken care of, probably for over a year and a half.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, and you know, the higher you mow, the less often you have to mow. And it's not a huge difference, but it's a little difference because we try to cut about a third of the leaf blade off when we mow, and with bermuda, if you let it get real tall and then mow it way back, you're cutting all the green that's up on top off and it looks real brown and twiggy. You know, it's not very attractive, but it will get attractive again. But you go through ugly periods with an infrequent mowing schedule, and so mowing more often is a little bit better, and you don't have to mow twice a week, so you know, you about ever seven days is fine. If you set it a little higher, I think that would you say, three inches that sounds a little high for bermuda. I would say two two and a half would be a real good height for the tiff toff and all the tiff. There's several tiff type bermudas.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, all right. There's also a lot of weeds in the grass, especially crabgrass. Is what can I use to spot treat the crab grass.
Speaker 3: So if you have true crabgrass, don't worry about it. Just keep mowing now it's going to go away with the cold weather. You can't kill crabgrass and not kill the bermuda. Next spring, you need to put a pre emergent herbicide containing the barricade out and then water it in real well because crabgrass starts germinating pretty early. And if you go to my schedule online at gardeningwith Skip dot com, you'll see exactly when to apply the pre emergence in the spring. And there's also a list of products for all your lawn care on both of those schedule launch schedules.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, very good, all right, Okay, well, thank you appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, you take care, good to talk to you. Appreciate your call. Uh, you know, we still have some mosquitoes around this warm weather. They're like hanging out and having fun. They haven't flown south for winter yet, not that they do, but I'd like to think they would anyway. Mosquito dunks, what do they? Well, Mosquito dunks are a disease of mosquitoes. They're a little donuts. There's also a granular formulation that you can use if you just want to use a little bit here and there. But you put them anywhere stagnant water is. It could be a little place in the backyard that doesn't drain well and this is kind of a puddle all the time. It could be sagging utter. It could be you know those little containers underneath your pots at whole water. That's where the granules help. By the way, if you have a donut type dunk, you can take a hammer and break it up into little granules and do that yourself. That works fine, last about a month a doughnut does. And the mosquitoes, they the larva get in that water with the dunks, and it's a disease that kills them. They never become adults. It will not hurt birds or pets or beneficial insects or anything else. That drinks from that water. It is a disease of mosquito's very specific and that makes it very helpful, organic type natural product, very very very low toxicity, and very very very effective. Mosquita dunks. You can find them at almost all our independent garden centers. You're can find them at feed stores. You're gonna find them in these hardware stores. It's Southwest Fertilizer, all those kind of places. It's not hard to find mosquita dunks. When you go shopping at a place you hear me talk about the mosquito dunks. There are more chances than not, but that's the easy way to get rid of them without you know, toxifying the water. So around the place that you have speaking of things that you're going to find at all these places ace Southwest Fertilizer, feed stores and garden center, it seems like azemite is just available everywhere, and asmite is that micronutrient supplement. So when we fertilize, we're putting out the big three numbers nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium on every bag of fertilizer. Those are the three numbers. Sometimes you get a fourth number, like sulfur or magnesium or something. But in general, those are the three numbers. You're not going to see the ingredients in asmite on a fertilizer label because they're trace minerals. They're trace minerals, like the numbers on the bag don't include the trace minerals as might contains trace minerals about once a year put it out. You get the minerals in the soil bank account. So as that grass grows, as you fur and encourage the grass to take off and grow, those trace minerals are going to be needed and they're there for the roots to take up. That's why I call it a bank account. That is what fertilizing is. And asmites widely available as I said, and it works. You can go to azemite Texas dot com if you want more information on it. But that's kind of the bottom line. I was talking to the folks down in Wharton yesterday at the Ace Hardware store and we were discussing the idea of nutrients and one oversimplified perhaps way of looking at it is nitrogen pushes new growth. It is the fuel to make that plant vigorous and get it going. But when a plant gets going, it needs nutrients to go with it. And so when you fertilize, instead of thinking of it as feeding your plant, think of it as building the soil bank account. So the plant can draw exactly the nutrients it needs because all the important ones are there, all the essential ones are there. It can draw those nutrients to build plant parts, runners and leaves and flowers and fruit and everything else. It's got what it needs. And so it's like if you went to the store and you want to buy something, well, you would have to go to your bank account right to get the money unless you're carrying cash with you. And that's kind of how the soil is. And as we fertilize, that's what we're doing now. Again, Nitrogen, a volatile nutrient, comes and goes. We're always adding it in small amounts, but the other nutrients. Think of a more of as a bank account building. And that I think that mindset will kind of help you understand. Because plants produce their food and their leaves, the carbohydrates and other products produced in the plant or plant food. Okay, that's that is the food for the plant. But you can't make plant food without three things. You need sunlight, you need water, and you need the nutrients and you put all those together, and the leaves, the leaf are food factories for the plant that turn it out. So build your bank account and the soil. Think of fertilizing as building the soil bank account. And the better that bank account is, the more things can flow because there's nothing holding it back. There's nitrogen that is encouraging new vigorous growth, and there's every nutrient you need to build cell walls in every other part of that plant. Okay, Hope, that helped, Hope, That made a little bit of sense. You heard me talk about Star of Hope a lot here on guard Line, and I just wanted to say that, you know, Star of Hope has been around for a long time. For two dollars and eighty five cents, you can feed somebody. They feed over six thousand meals a week. They provide six thousand meals a week. How many meals will you provide? Would you join? My wife and I we've been supporting for Star of Hope for a long time, go back decades to when first began to volunteer there. I know the place I've been in the place, I believe in the place, and I can tell you this as you give away your hard earned dollars, and I know with a compassionate heart you do. I cannot think of a better place than Starve Hope to do that. Go to shmission dot org and put your compassion to work at Starve Hope. We take a break, I'll be right back. Welcome back to Gardenline. Good have you with us. We got things to talk about today. You know, I've been planning to do some renovations in the backyard. I've got a bed that I have been working on for a while, but I just keep getting sidetracked and don't get around to it. Well, I'm going to practice what I preach Paul is planting season. I'm not putting it off any longer. I've already begun to work things into the soil and I'm doing a number of different things back there. We've got a little bit of expanded shale that's going in because it is a heavy clay in that area. I've got some organic materials that I've been putting in a really a real quality mix from a nature's way, by the way, and just just getting that soil up to shape, you know, getting it in the condition that we need it to be in order to have success. Have you ever done that kind of thing to your gardening beds? If you do, you're going to see the results that we want to see. And you know, Nature's Way Resources is an excellent source of things like that. They kind of were the originator of a lot of the special soil products we talk about here on Garden Line and have talked about for years, things like roast soil was born in Nature's Way, Leithmo compos born in Nature's Way. See what I'm talking about. They have all kinds of bed mixes that are high quality. They're very ack. I've used myself. I've found them to just be like rocket fuel really for the plants. They're having their Friday Fungal Friday sale, still going on, still going on, And what does that mean. That means on Fridays twenty percent off their fungal compost, fungo based compost. That is a high quality thing. You can use it for top dressing your launch, you can mix it into beds. It's just good. Wherever you want to use fungo compost, it's good for that. It works well for that. I want to remind you too. The big shindig at Nature's Way Resources. The Fall Festival is coming up October twelfth. October twelfth, they're going to have plant sales, They're going to have local vendors, live music, children, activities of some Latin food. It basically fun hours, I like to say, basically a shindig. I'll be there from by the way. The event itself is from nine to two on Saturday, October twelfth. I'll be there from eleven thirty to one, kind of in the middle of that over the noon hour time, actually two hours, and I'll be answering your gardening questions. So come on out, bring me samples. We'll talk about that more as we go forward. But when you're thinking about Nature's Way, there's not a better time than now to get the products and to have success. And that's what they say. You up for brown stuff before green stuff. Good night. How many times have I said that. I'm going to keep saying it because it is the key to good success with your plants. You are listening to garden Line. Our phone number is seven one three two one two KTRH. We've had a little lull in the calls here, so if you'd like to get in not have to wait as long as you're the first few of call that. Now, wou'd be a good time to do that, no weight right away?
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: I love Medina products. Medina has so many good products. And if you're gonna do fault planting, there are a number of Medina products that are excellent for transplanting. They just help the plants. I want to suggest a combo of two. As you put in a plant, water them in with these two things. One has to grow six twelve six. That's a high phosphorus compound. It's got nitrogen potassium in it as well. That helps stimulate the root growth. Now, it also contains Medina soile active to stimulate biological activity. It's got humate humic acid a little bit of that in it as well, and I would also just add some more of the hum humic acid. That's another product that can be used for transplanting. Basically, it's concentrated compost in a bottle. It is a liquid product that you here's how you use any of these liquid Medinas. You can mix them in a sprayer and spram on foliage. They're not going to burn planting fold your feed. What I'm talking about here is putting them in a watering can and after you've watered to drenched that plant two or three times, because it takes a while to soak things down, soak it down into the root ball very very well and you're going to have success. I like that combo of has to grow six to twelve six and the humatee humic acid. Even though that's a little extra humate, it just helps stimulate the root growth. And when you put a new plant in, you want to stimulate the root growth. That first job of that plant while it sits there for a while deciding if it's going to grow or not, is to stimulate the roots and encourage good, good root development because the roots are the key to the success plants. I like to say that plants live in their roots in that as the root system goes, as the soil quality is, that is the bar. That's the level of success that you can have with your plants, and you want that to be at the top level. We're going to go out to Houston now and talk to Shnnon this morning. Good morning, shann and welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 11: Good morning, Thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 4: Yes, I have a question about.
Speaker 11: Peggy Martin roses. I've got a beautiful plant, but it's not blooming. It hasn't blue since I've had it, and it's climbing up the trailer. It looks fairly healthy.
Speaker 3: Okay, when did you plant it?
Speaker 11: Oh, probably three or four months ago and it's been a container.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, Well, Peggy Martin is primarily a spring bloomer. That's when it puts on its biggest show. So I think you're okay. Is the area lots of sun?
Speaker 11: Lots of sun?
Speaker 3: Yes? Good. So the last thing I want you to do is, as you're putting it on the trellis, as much as you can weave the canes horizontally back and forth. Do that. Roses climbing roses in general, they're going to grow, they'll go straight up the trellis. But as you move it horizontal, you get more bloom bud production as it sets buds for next year, which it's been doing for a little while now. But is you got that new growth, you know, kind of go back and forth a little bit because late summer and really fall is when the bloom buds get set and you're going to see a real, real nice bloom next spring. On your Peggy Martins.
Speaker 11: Okay, question is do I have to worry about the soil being alkaline or a stick as far as adding maybe ebbs and salts or something to the soil, and is there a way that tests.
Speaker 3: Yes. There were three questions in one, so let's do this. The soil be an alkaline or acidic. Roses are pretty forgiving. They would prefer not to be too high pH, but they're pretty forgiving. If you start to see the new growth getting kind of a yellow or bleachy white look to it, that means the high pH is creating an iron deficiency, and you can respond by applying iron. But anything you do to bring the soil pH down. Do you have a particular fertilizer that you use on your roses or plants.
Speaker 11: It's just called rose fertilizer for roses.
Speaker 4: Okay, got it.
Speaker 11: I got it from a hardware and it's just called rose.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, that's fine. Anything that they have there too, that helps acidify the soil slowly over time would be a good idea for your roses. If you feel like the pH maybe a little on the high side. So things that you would put on azilias and camellias and blueberries and things would all be examples of that. Hey, Peggy or excuse me, Shannon, would you hang on just a second. I'm gonna have to take a break and I'd like to come back and finish answering that question. All right, we'll be right back back the garden line. Good to have you with us. We were in a conversation when we went to break with Shannon in Houston and we were talking about Peggy Martin Roses. Let's see, Shannon, you had several questions in one and I think you may have to help me here. We talked about, you know, how to get them to bloom in what time of year they bloom? What would the other parts of your question again?
Speaker 11: What is there a way to test soil?
Speaker 3: Yes, you go to soil Testing dot t a m U e ed U soil Testing dot TAMOUD dot ed U. If you go to my lawn care schedule on at Gardening with skip dot com at the bottom is a direct link to the soil testing form that you use. And you want to use the Urban soil test when you test. Okay, if you're growing, if you're doing horticulture, the lawns trees, shrubs, binds, herbs, vegetables, flowers, that's horticulture. You use the urban soil test form.
Speaker 11: Okay, that would work also for like high ranges to test the soil.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, everything but pastures and farms.
Speaker 12: Okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 11: Okay, Well answer my question. Thank you so much. Okay, all yeah, I think I thank you. I think you covered everything. And what about one more? What about freezing? What about the cold weather in Houston in the winter time.
Speaker 3: Peggy Martin can handle it, don't worry about it.
Speaker 8: Okay, okay, Well, I'm gonna do what you suggested and hopefully we'll have some blooms in the spring.
Speaker 3: All right, send me pictures when you do. Thanks a lot.
Speaker 11: I appreciate your health.
Speaker 13: Thank you, Bye bye you bet bye bye.
Speaker 3: I was talking about the importance of soil. And you know Ciena Mulch is south of Houston. They're down in the Siena area, just oh what north of Roach Sharon near Highway six and two eighty eight intersection. They're on FM five twenty one. You can go to Cienamultch dot com. That's the website Ciena Maltz dot com. When you go to Ciana Malt. You get quality materials and you get everything you need to set your plants up for success. Brown stuff before green stuff is my mantra. And Sienna Maulch has all the brown stuff. They've got the composts, they've got the soil blends like for example, they carry Landscaper's Pride, like Velvet malt. They've got heirloom soils, veggie and herbs and many other high quality materials. They've got mulches for you. And they have every fertilizer I talk about on garden Line. All the brands of fertilizer that you might want to use, organic and synthetic are available there at Ciena Molts. So when you go home from there, you've got everything you need to create the setting for success with whatever you're going to plant. Cienamlt dot Com is the website. Check them out. They're closed on Sunday, but they're open Monday through Friday seven thirty to five and Saturday seven thirty to two. We're going to go now back to the phones and talk to Matt in Houston. Hello, Matt.
Speaker 5: Skip, how you doing?
Speaker 3: Hibe Will?
Speaker 5: I live in Hempstead, Texas, and I was calling to ask you what what kind of weed killer is good to use to kill weeds that are popping up in your lawn but will not kill your lawn.
Speaker 3: It depends on the weed matt. If you know, there's grassy weeds and there's broad leaf weeds, and then we have two approaches. One is to put a pre emergent down so the seeds never are able to come up from the weeds. Second is to kill weeds that are already growing now. If you've got growing weeds right now, if they're perennial weeds, you can spram and kill them with a post emergent broad leaf weed killer. We have some types of that. If you are dealing with the summer weeds, they're going to die when it gets cold, and so controlling them at this point is kind of it's a little late to try to do that. Now is when we put on a pre emergent for cool season weeds, and barricade is the product for that, and it will not hurt your your lawn if you use it as directed. You always want to follow the label on anything, but especially on a weed killer. You want to follow the label and you put it down, you water it in with the bottom. I've inch of water somewhere in there is fine and get that in the soil surface and then all the cool season weeds like clover is an example of that, and many others, they don't germinate, and in spring you're not dealing with them because you prevented them. Once weeds are growing, then it depends on the weed, and it depends on your type of turf grass as to what I could recommend to control an existing weed. So I'd need to see some pictures or have a name of a weed to be able to prescribe the proper product.
Speaker 5: All right, So I mean, and I don't know if I'm going to losing battle here, but I live right next to an easement, which is which nothing is owing. So I'm thinking that's what's causing the weeds to come over into my lawn is from that Eastman because it's all weeds.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, it could be. But you know, the denser you make your lawn, the more you mow, water and fertilize it and get it really dense, those weed seeds can't come up because they can't get sunlight in that dense lawn. As your lawn gets a little drowdy, a little thin doesn't do so good, then weeds are going to come in even more.
Speaker 5: All right, So just mean water more.
Speaker 3: Water, mow regularly, and fertilize adequately. That all buildscity. Yeah, and gardening with skip dot. Go to gardening with skip dot com my website Gardening with skip and look at the two schedules. You can print them up. And they got a lot of information on them about taking care of and making a better lawn.
Speaker 5: All right. I just had I just had one more question. I was told, if you overwater you're prone to fungus.
Speaker 4: Is that true?
Speaker 14: Uh?
Speaker 3: If you water really frequently, you it can increase disease problems. Yes, yes, okay, but mostels that I'm telling you about, they tell you exactly how much the water to put on each month of the year so that they all right, thank you on yours. Yes, I gotta do that. You bet you take care, hope you hope you enjoyed that. Buginnan's Native Plants is having their fall fest coming up, and guess what I'm going to be there. I'm really looking forward to going because they always put on a good show. It began as native plants, you know, Beginner's Native Plants has all kinds of great plants for you, absolutely awesome plants for you. And when I go to Buginnons, I'm always amazed at things they have that I didn't even know they carried, because they always have some new stuff coming on. Don't forget that Fall festival though. It is going to be from let's see, it's on October fifth, next weekend, from ten am to three pm. I'll be there from twelve to two two hours from noon to two there we be giveing away one hundred dollars gift card and you got to register to winchy I show up and do that. Hang around a bit. Microfe brown patch will be given away there. They're gonna have pumpkin painting, Halloween mass coloring station, hay rides, kids games like ring Toss, pumpkin Toss or bembag Toss and pumpkin Toss, scavenger hunt. There's live music from a bank called Jopah, which I love that name. Kids craft, moon Bounce, food, coffee, beer, wine and more. Good night, make your way over there next Saturday. Put it on counter a big circle right now. If buchan as Native Plants eleven Street in the heights. I'll be there from twelve to two and I hope, I definitely hope that you can make it. Let's see here, I'm short on time to take a call, so Catherine, so that I can give you adequate time, I'll be taking you first when we come right back from break. I did want to mention one more time a reminder that the nitroposs three step is fertilizer, the fall special barricade. I was just talking about that on the collar that is the pre emergent herbicide and Eagle turf, which is a fung a side. All three. You're going to get those at D and D Feed and tom Maaul Plantation, Ace Hardware and Richmond Hiding and Feed all of around. Stubner Airline carries them as well. You want to do all three this fall one two three Fall Special fertilizer designed for fall barricade to stop the cool season weeds which are sprouting soon, and nitro foss Eagle turf to shut down brown patch and take off before they get started. Got to give them a head of coup, follow my schedule on all three of those. They are on the schedule, follow it. Timing is critical if you're going to prevent weeds, Timing is critical. If you're going to prevent brown patch, Don't wait till the weeds are up. Don't wait till the brown pat surfers are there. You've got to get ahead of them. Why night us put that together three step schedule. I just again want to thank the folks at weren't Ace really had a good time. Richard and Sarah Lockley down there have an awesome store. You have to go see it. If you haven't been down there, I don't want to remind you. The inaugural fig Toberfest in Brazoria County is next weekend down and Ingleton on Enchanted Oaks Drive from eight to one. They're gonna have some awesome speakers. For more information, contact Kimberly Mayer at the Bassouri County Office at ninety seven nine eight six four fifteen fifty eight.
Speaker 15: Hello, this is Steve Raddick and I'm running for Harris County Tax Assessor Collector in a November fifth general election. This election is extremely important. It's critical that you vote. Make sure you're registered and then make sure you turn out and vote. Please try to vote early and if you can't vote early please vote on November fifth.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 16: Looking for a health plan that makes Medicare easier, discover Scan health Plan. Since nineteen seventy seven, we've been daring to care differently as a not for profit health plan founded by seniors for seniors. We reinvest revenue back into benefits, not to shareholders, which means profits are used to improve the quality of care and services and support for our members. If you want a health plan that puts you first, visit scanhealthplan dot com or call eight five five nine oh one seven two two six today. Scan health Plan is an HMOL plan with a Medicare and romanin. Scan health Plan depends on contract renewal.
Speaker 3: Hello.
Speaker 17: I am Yoda State Representative, doctor Suliman Lalani of House Districts seventy six and I'm running for a re election. This election is so important and it is critical that you are registered and then come out to what early varting stars October twenty first election day November fifth, See you at the polls.
Speaker 18: Small business owners have started receiving letters from the IRS, and more are supposed to be coming out this month. The IRS can make mistakes like anyone else, and that's why you need top tax defenders. They'll represent you with the irs. Seven one, three, four, eight, nine, seventy four thirty three.
Speaker 19: Wendy's Breakfast Burrito is everything you want for breakfast. Fresh cracked eggs, seasoned potatoes, American cheese, cheese, sauce, bacon, or sausage, all rolled up into one warm tortilla. Want the boss of breakfast burritos? Gotta be Wendy's at participating us.
Speaker 3: Wendy's from the classic elite GMC traffic Center.
Speaker 20: This report is sponsored by unbound dot org. Right now, there are young people across the world facing a tough scholl continue their dream of education or drop out to help their family put food on the table. You can help change their few c r H.
Speaker 1: Garden Line with skin Rict it's crazy.
Speaker 2: Just watch him as.
Speaker 21: So many things again not a sound.
Speaker 3: Alrighty, alrighty, let's do this. You're listening to garden Line. We are starting our eight o'clock hour, eight to nine, third hour of the day, and we're here for your gardening questions. Seven one seven one three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two k t r H. And we're gonna run right out to bel air and talk to Catherine to start off this hour. Welcome to gardener and Catherine.
Speaker 9: Hi Skiff, good morning, Thank you for taking my call. So I'm calling so I have a lot of boxwoods in my landscaping. I've had them for years and they start getting an issue where part of the plant will turn a very pale yellowish white. It'll be one branch and it will spread the other branches and then I'm ripping the plant out, putting a new one in, and then it pops up somewhere else. So this has been going on for a while. So my question is, I mean, I've been told before that it's fungled, but my question is, is this fungle? Is it something inevitable or is there a way I can treat it and prevent it from coming back and when I put in new ones that it won't recur with the new ones.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's a good question. The best thing you can do, and this is a little trouble, a little bit of expense, but if you can take a plant that is declining in that hedge, and by the way, I got those pictures, that's those great shots. If you take it declining and it's like okay, this one, I'm about to lose it. Don't wait until it's dead, but while it's sick. But it's like, okay, I'm not going to say I know this and what's going to happen. Take it, pull it up, shake the soil off the roots, try to get as much of the roots as you can, and then send it to the plant clinic at anm. What they'll do is they will culture out the fungus, look at it under a microscope, culture dot in a petri dish, and do a true plant clinic analysis and determine exactly what is causing it. So that's the best approach, and then they tell you what to do about it. If they see it, they may find nematodes on the roots, they may find a canker type disease on the branches, or they may just see splits from pole damage or physical damage or something else. But they'll be able to tell exactly what's doing it. Now. To do that, the website is really easy. It's Plant Clinic dot t a Mu dot edu. Plant Clinic one word at TAMU dot edu. And when you get there, there's a form you fill out. Just follow the instructions and that is the real way. See, you've got a lot of boxwoods in these hedges, and so if you're losing them one and one at a time and stuff, it's worth gwinn and paying a diagnostic fee to get that get that analyzed. I can give you things to look at, like follow the dead branches down to where they join branches that end up having green on them, and in that intersection there, look for splits in the bark, look for holes in the bark, like a little something mate tunnel into the bark or something. Just look for all of that and see what you find, and then we take it from there based on what you find. But chances are this because of your description, it could be an above ground canker type disease. But it also could be something going on in the roots. And the more the root system you lose, the more of the top goes out, not to a large degree, each root is you could follow the tube all the way up to us a top part on the plant, okay, And so as you lose a section of roots, there's gonna be a section of top that dies as a result of that. So that's why I'm saying it could be above ground, could be below ground. One other thing you can do is if you've got a plant that's looking really bad, take a very sharp knife and slice vertically down through that branch tissue that's not dead, but it's dying. And if under the bark, instead of being creamy white or green, under the bark, you see streaks of kind of a brown and gray. The way I describe it as it looks like one of those nicotine stained cigarette filters. You know, it's got that staining on the inside. Uh, then that's a sign of a vascular root disease for that particular symptom. So those are some tips on things you can look for. But I think if I were you, I would go ahead and send the plant. You can box it up personally. I would just drive it up there and get a good fresh plant to them. Get to them on a Monday. If you're going to mail it, go ahead and mail it on maybe a Friday or Saturday, so when they come in it's fresh and ready to go. It hadn't you know, if you mailed it on a let's say a Tuesday, and it didn't get there in time for them to look at it until after the weekend, it's not in as good as shape. You get a little better, okay, patient to them to diagnose, Yeah, okay.
Speaker 9: And are there any new varieties of boxwoods that are more disease resistant? Just in general, like if I'm replacing the ones that have died off? Is there anything actually looking for in the nursery.
Speaker 3: Well, there is some of that, but a lot of the things we do I don't know. I'd have to go look to see if there's a boxwood that's verticillium and fusarium resistant. Those are two soil diseases. I know there's not one that's an ema toade resistant. As far. There's a boxwood light that's going around some parts of the country. I just I don't think your answer is going to be found in that. But I'm going to look into that a little bit more and see what the availability is. Some of that stuff is new, The light and stuff is fairly new, and so I doubt breeders have had time to go through the whole process of developing a resistant one.
Speaker 9: Okay, all right, Well, I'll send one off to an m and I'll let you know what they tell me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, please do let me know. In fact, if you'll hold on my producer can give you the email where you can just directly send it right back to the information back to me. And you may have a question about what they tell you in the diagnosis and I'll be happy ify email to answer that for you.
Speaker 9: Okay, okay, great, well, thanks so much, skip.
Speaker 3: You bet, Catherine. I put you on hold, Crystal, pick it up and give you that email. All right. You're listening to guard Line folks seven one three two one two five eight seven four seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four. You know Southwest Fertilizer. I talk about them all the time. They've been around since nineteen fifty five. They are an institution here in the gardening world of Houston. They just are. You are not going to find anything that you need that missing at Southwest Fertilizer. They carry it all. Everything on my schedules, every time my answer comes out of my mouth on garden Line, and it's a product, it's there at Southwest Fertilizer, Organic Synthetic insect disease, weed fertilizing tools, eighty foot wall of tools. They got a little shop in the back that does some engine repair. We sharpen those more blades, which is about time to get that done. By the way, if you get your more blades sharpened at the end of the season, then they're ready to go. First thing, same thing with getting your mower and stuff tuned up. Just a tip Southwest Fertilizer dot Com seven to one three six six six seventeen forty four Southwest Fertilizer dot Com. Go check them out corner Bissinette and Renwick. I'll be right back guard Line. Good to have you with us today, as always, love visiting with you about gardening. If you have a question you'd like to discuss on Guardline, give me a call seven one three two one two five fifty eight seventy four seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four. Or if you like clatters KTRH it's real easy, makes it real easy to do that. Uh Nelson Plant Food has a fall fertilizer designed for our area and definitely design for fall, and it's called carbo Load. Carbo Load has a lower nitrogen a little higher potassium, which is what we want in a fall fertilizer. A forty pound bag covers five thousand square feet and it will help get your grass ready for cold and ready for spring. That's why we call it carbo load, because grass produces carbohydrates which increase cold heartiness and increase spring growth. Early spring growth is based on your fall fertilization, not your spring. Early spring growth comes from fall fertilization. Carboload does that. Carboload also has a pre emergent herbicide in it. So while I say with fall fertilizing, eh, do it in early October. Anytime in October, get it done. That's fine. If you're going to do something like carbload that's got the pre emergent there, go ahead and get that done early in the month. Get that done early in October, all right now if you want, because that gets the ingredient down so that when we get a little cool spelled and some rain and the seed starts sprouting, you don't miss that window. You're already in there ahead of it to prevent seed sprouting of all all those weeds that are cool season weeds and infest your plants. And now some plant foods, the turf star line and others and other things like carbaload are going to be available widely throughout the Greater Houston area and they do do work. We're going to go now to Huntsville and talk to Charles. Hey, Charles, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 12: Good morning.
Speaker 3: Skip.
Speaker 12: Before I moved retired from Texas and moved up here to Tennessee, I had a beautiful fig tree and a fig bush and we missed those that fig preserves. Will figs live up here in mid mid Tennessee. When we get some cold weather, it'll get below freezing two or three days, and that'll happen two or three times a year, and we'll figs.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 3: I've never I've never lived up up there and tried to grow figs, but I can tell you this research is done at Ohio State University a number of years ago found that the varieties brown turkey and hardy Chicago Chicago Hardy it's sometimes called, are very cold hardy among the fig varieties. Now that said, I'm not that impressed with Chicago hardy Chicago it just for us. I would say there are better figs to grow. You can grow around turkey down here as well, But anyway, those figs are the cultivar end. That's probably your better too, that you're going to have. I would say maybe probably a bigger factor on figs up in Tennessee is going to be the way you care for them to fertilize in water and late in the season and encourage new late season growth is a no no, that's going to be more cold tender, so allowing if they get if you get a cooling period and they kind of cool off and everything, they're fine. The other thing I would do is very thickly malts the base and the winter time. That would be you know, like a good mult product, even a finer textured, composty kind of product, piled up all over the base and around the bottoms of the shoots. That way, should you get a cold that kills them back, you'll still have lots of buds at the bottom that will sprout right back. And with many types of figs, they will actually produce later that season from those basil buds.
Speaker 13: Great.
Speaker 12: Well, I miss those pig preserves that my wife makes. So I think I'll try the brown turkey. I'll make sure that when I order a plant that it's a brown turkey.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, there you go, try that one.
Speaker 13: Now.
Speaker 3: Brown turkey is one. There's a little confusion in names. There's there there used to be one those a California brown turkey and not the same as the regular brown turkey fig. But down here in Texas, if you get a brown turkey, you're probably getting the right one.
Speaker 12: Great, I appreciate the information, Thank you, sir.
Speaker 3: All right, and what I'm gonna give you one last thing to be extra sure. Your Tennessee University Sency has an extension service, just like we do in Texas, and whereever county you're in, you got a county extension agent. Call them up and say, what are you guys recommending. Now, my information may be a little older because I don't I don't have to keep up with what to grow in Tennessee like I do in Texas, and so they may have something as a suggestion in addition to what I gave you, and I would I would go to that local source for that too. Okay, that's as best as I can help you. But now if you head up there normally, if you've listened to Guardline, you know that I don't charge for advice, but I do ask for half the produce you grow if it's successful. So ship me a box of turkey figs from cal from Tennessee down here, to the station and we'll call it even I'm kidding. Thanks a lot, Charles. I appreciate that a lot. All right, folks.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: I actually muted him there at the end, so didn't get to hear the very end of what he said. Uh, you're listening to Guardenline our phone number seven one three two one two kt r H seven one three two one two k t r H. Let me. Let me mention a soil that I think you really need to make part of your gardening, and that is Heirloom soils. They've had a lot of products. Go to Heirloom Soils of Texas or just Heirloomsoils dot com, Airloomsoils dot com and look at what they have. They've got a ton of them. I've used several of their soils. I've used the their their indoor plant UH soil, the potting soil for indoors. I have used it's called the Works. I have used their veggie herb mix. I've used their rosesoil, just a lot of the different ones they have, and everyone I've used has been outstanding in a way it performs. Right now, I want to mention something. It's a special deal and you got to go to the porter locatee that's where airloom soils are made. Porter Location to pick it up. But it's a bulk purchase of rose soil or the veggie and herb mix. You pick up a bulk purchase of that or have them deliver it. Either way they can deliver it to you and you get a free bag of Microlife sixty four fertilizer to go with it. So that's a really good deal because you always need some Microlife sixty four to go with it. But remember it all starts in the soil. Heirloom soils will set you up for success. They will. I've tried it myself. They work. And when you prepare the soil before you plant the plants, that is the only way to go about it falls for planting. Get those beds prepared with a quality mix from those heirloom soils, and you will have success. I can just tell you that's the most important thing in success. Let's go here to Magnolia, Texas and talk to Sarah. Hello, Sarah, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 7: You. I have several questions. I'm good, that's glad. I'm glad. I have several questions and I'm in sort of a dilemma. I wasn't able. I had to have someone to mow my yard last year, and consequently I have many new weeds that I've never had before. See that saidge is one, doveweed is another. And there's something I've had ever since I've owned the property. I haven't been able to identify it. The closest thing it looks like is a jew grass, and but I thought that was for my research. That's primarily in Georgia, and I think there is either chickweed or Virginia button weed. I can't identify between the two of them. My I do have celsius and I do have sedgehammer. So it's being that we're really close to the fall season. I tip have used weed beat or complete granular. I'm thinking about considering to the carbo load this year, but I'm not sure if I should or how do I work this altogether to kill these new weeds as well as continue with the fall fertilization.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, just go with the carbo load. That's going to shut down weed seeds for the cool season. Weeds germinating, which is not the doveweed or the grass you were talking about the weed you were talking about, So carbo load, get it down early October, get it watered in. I'd put about a half inch of water on it, move it down into the soil where it can do its work. Now, as far as those others, they're going to be burning back with the coal weather and going away till next spring. They'll be back again. The celsius will work on the doveweed, and I would try it on the other one. I don't I don't know exactly which plant you're talking about. When you say jew grass. I think maybe it's basket grass that you're seeing, but I'm not real sure.
Speaker 7: Well, it's kind of crazy. It's a small little one whenever I was told originally Sam bamboo grass, but I've never heard that, and I can't confirm it either.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's do this so we get you a real good answer. If you I'm going to put you on hold here and if you will send me a picture, send me a picture, and I'll be happy to take a look at it and get a good accurate analysis and tell you what to do for it. Okay, for that one that we haven't determined what it is, Okay, Okay, great, all right, Sarah, Hey, thanks for the call. Good luck with you getting ahead of this. But I look forward. I'm putting you on host, so don't go away. Chris is gonna come give you an email. Okay, send me good pictures and sharp focus, sharp focus, all right, that's important. Listen, you've heard me talk about quality home products. That is the place you get your generic generators. Quality Home, though they have a number of different products and services they offer, and right now they are hiring with Quality Home. You don't you know, when you hire them to come put in a generic generator, the automatic standby generators, they don't go out, and you know, hire electricians or plumbers as secondary, you know, servicemen to come in. They have their own in house, which is which is one of the reasons I like Quality Home. They're hiring license electricians and plumbers. And so if you take pride in you know, making sure you have a beautiful place and everything works and stuff, you need a company like Quality Home that comes in and does things right. And if you're interested in working for them, they're an outstanding employer. They have competitive pay, Comprehensive medical dental vision coverage or tarmament plans paid holidays and times off training programs, and there's of course the opportunity for curer growth. I've talked to a number of people Quality Home talking about their products, but in everyone I hear that they are really happy and excited about working there. It's that kind of environment. And you can go to apply online at QUALITYTX dot com Quality tx dot com. Licensed electricians and plumbers. You need to check this out. All right, I'm gonna have to take a break. When I come back, Judy, you will be our first stop. Welcome back to guarden Line. Good to have you with us today. I always, I always enjoy visiting with gardeners, and boy, we we try to do that here every Saturday and Sunday from six to ten here on Guardline. You know, Ace Hardware stores are all over the greater Houston area, and I was just at a new one out there in Wharton, Texas yesterday. Ace Hardware has every fertilizer I talk about on Guardenline. They've got the pest control, disease control, weed control we talk about. They have everything you need to have a beautiful, bountiful garden and landscape. It's as simple as that. And they all also have things you need to make that outdoor living area even better, such as quality barbecue pits like Big Green Egg and Treyger and oh gosh, Weber Grill. I've got a Weber myself. Those are awesome. They got the strings of lights and all the things for the decorations for the holidays, for the fall season. Ace is a place. It's as simple as that. Go to ACE Hardware stores forty of them. If you don't know where the one near you is, go to Acehardware dot Com. Look at the store locator and they're going to have it. And when you're in there, if you got fire ants, by the way, this is your warning. It's the season. Get it done. Football season means we tackle fire ants in the fall with a good bait. That is the best way to get ahead of those little boogers. And Ace has got it. They've got the baits that you need. We're going to head out now on the phones and we're going to go to NATA Texas and talk to Judy. Hello, Judy, Welcome to Gardenline.
Speaker 22: Good morning. It was good senior yesterday. Good morning.
Speaker 3: Oh you're out there Wharton Feed, Yes, you're right at Warton.
Speaker 8: Feed right, good, good, can I help today? Okay, well, thank you. I had showed you a picture that I took of my peaches with.
Speaker 23: The brown You called it a brown rot there, and you were going to help me figure out what to.
Speaker 3: Do with that, Yes, you bet. And here here's I wanted to check and make sure I had the latest products and the stuff available, and I did. Uh. So, peach brown rot. It can occur at bloom time, and you never have the bloom never makes a peach because the bloom rots. It can occur on green peaches bits especially bad. As those peaches reach harvest, they get real sweet and sugary and the brown rot hit some. If it's wet conditions, brown rot is going to be especially bad. And so when you get a little bit of rain closer to harvest, that makes it even worse. There are a couple of products out there. One's called cap tan c A p T A N. Now. I know Bonney makes a Captain. I know high Yield makes a Captain. There may be some others, but that works. Uh. Then there's a product called and the ingredient is pro piccanazole, and I'm gonna spell that out for you. It's p R O.
Speaker 24: P I c.
Speaker 3: O n A z O l E pro pig con A zol Bone Eye makes a product called Infuse Systemic Disease Control that has pro pacanazole. There are many other products that have it, but not all of them are labeled for peaches, but those are ones that you could use. And then any anything label for peaches with miclobutan nil would work too, and I'm gonna spell that one out. Sorry for this. This is why I make online publications so we don't have to do m y c l O b U t A n I L my clo beew ten Ill and Monterey has one called fungjamac Spectra side has immunoc spectra side emmunox. Those are all things that will control brown rot on peaches. But you want to start spraying. You can spray them at the end of bloom a little bit and for a little bit later. You're going to need to spray about every ten to fourteen days, and when we go into wet weather following a rain, give them a spray. And especially as we approach harvest, some people don't spray until the peaches are getting close to full size, and then they begin their spray about every seven days going up to the harvest period to prevent that disease. The other thing you need to know for sure on that disease judy is anytime you see fallen peaches, pick them up and get rid of them, Bury them, put them in the trash, get them out of there. Anytime you see a peach dried on the branch, snip that whole branch off, that little section of branch that holds the peach and throw the whole thing away and get that those brown rots spores out of there, because we call those mummies and in the spring, when rain drops hit those mummies, those spores splash everywhere in Your next crop is going to be really hit harder than it was last year.
Speaker 22: Oh okay, okay, so I spray that sanitition.
Speaker 3: Okay, you can do it at the end of bloom.
Speaker 22: Uh yeah, pretend.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Brown ride is an ongoing problem un to fourteen. Yeah, and especially as we get a little bit closer to harvest. Don't wait until they're they're harvestable. You gotta start earlier. But as those speeches get them off close to full size, that's the most important time to do your spraying. So you don't have to start at the end of bloom. But if it's a bad year and you have it every year, I would start it end of bloom. But other than that, i'd start you know.
Speaker 23: Yeah, once I treat this safe for this coming up year harvest season, will I have it again? Or will I slowly you know, not have this problem.
Speaker 3: No, it'll likely be that. But it's a very very weather related, very weather related. So your sanitation reduces it. Having good weather reduces it. But still the diseases out there in nature. And it loves peaches.
Speaker 23: Okay, okay, and none of these these products, these products don't affect eating them, you know, it doesn't do anything to the peaches.
Speaker 3: No, follow the label though, it'll say like wait seven wait seven days, you know, before harvest, or it'll say something like I just read the label. That's that's the one. And then wash it when you bring it in if you want to do that. All right, all right, thank.
Speaker 22: You, thank you, Thanks for all your great info.
Speaker 3: All right, thank you, appreciate, appreciate very much your call. You know, Nitropos has their three step program. What is the Nitropas three step Well, it's a fall special fertilizer that's step one. By the way, we gave these the way down there weren't at the Ace Hardware store. Nitopos provided fall special We also gave away some barricade Step two for prove hing winter weeds, and then Nitrofoss turf Eagle fungicide for preventing brown patch and take all root rot both and those are all on my schedule too. You can go to guarding with Skip dot com see the schedule. But remember the Nitropos three step fertilizer we'd prevention and disease prevention simple as that. You can find it at the Ace Hardware Sinkle Ranch. Arborgate carries it out in Tomball Shades of Texas, Southeast Houston on Genoa Red Bluff another place you can find Nitrofoss products. We're gonna go to Stephanie now in League City. Hey, Stephanie, let's sey if we can get a call in here before I have to go to break.
Speaker 25: Okay, I listened to you last weekend, and I have a small magnolia tree and it's got the black suit and I have been training it. I wiped the leaves off with a diluted soap and then I treated it as a fungicide folier that you were saying something about a drench, so I went ahead and ordered the drench. My question is, I noticed my neighbor's tree is hanging over that tree and another tree, and it's full of that black soot and mold or whatever not molded.
Speaker 10: Is that going to kill my trees?
Speaker 3: No, it shades them out. It doesn't do them any good because of the shades the leaves a little bit. But you know, it is possible that your tree does not have a pest on it that your neighbor's tree does, and that sooty, that sugary honeydew basically honeydew is the nice word for bug pee. It is falling on your trees causing the city mold. So it's either gonna on a magnolia. Probably scale is the cause, so you may just look around for scales on the magnolia. But it could be that it's your neighbors that's doing that, and in which case you're just kind of left with trying to blast off with some soapy water over now and then those those leaves to get the soot off. Tell your neighbor to listen to garden Line and we'll tell them to put us system.
Speaker 26: They just moved in and it's a rental and they're so I'm going to have those trees trimmed because the problem is that tree is touching my larger tree. But the leaves are just falling off and they're black, like they're black and they're falling.
Speaker 4: I'm strownd dying.
Speaker 3: Yep, I understand.
Speaker 25: Okay, trench still.
Speaker 3: Uh, since you bought it, go ahead and use it. But uh, you know I can't. I don't have a crystal ball to know whether you have the insects on your true or not. But if you don't see anything, you may you may just wait. But anyway, that would be my suggestion. Hey, I'm sorry I got to run to a break, but that's a lot for your call. Thank you, good luck, bye bye. I'll be right back. Folks, you are listening in today. We are here to help you have success with what you grow. You know, ana plants and produce up in Montgomery. It's the same thing there. They always have a good supply of all kinds of plants. They always have really cool landscape link too. If you're looking for things like it's going to get chili here soon. How about an outside chimney for the patio, or some sort of an iron work for a trellis or something like that in your garden. Certainly for plants, they carry every fertilizer I talk about it. A and A Plants and Produce Ana is located on the east side of Montgomery. That is Highway one oh five and you've driven past it a million times if you've been between Conroe and Montgomery. Again, all of those quality products are available there at A and A Plants and Produce, along with some really cool plants and other things like decorations for this holiday season. Let's head out now to sugar Land. We're going to talk to Dean. Hey, Dean, welcome to garden.
Speaker 14: Line, a long time listener, first down caller, got some welcome thank you. So we got some roots running in the ground in the lawn and sprouting needles, nails when you walk on them. You have food trees around like big parsimuen.
Speaker 12: Peach.
Speaker 14: No big trees, but the neighbors have some big trees. I'm just curious how to get rid of that because it's hard to walk on.
Speaker 4: And mo.
Speaker 3: I'm not I'm not picturing what you're talking about so you're stepping on things that's not the lawn that's coming up, that's real pointed right right.
Speaker 14: Yes, It's like I feel like, you know, roots are running under on the ground and running across with nubs or needles coming out, and they're pretty hard because they feel like nails when you walk on barefoot on the you know, on the lawn and also in the food trees and so forth. But I'm just curious what would cause that. I mean, I don't think the food trees would would have root systems like that.
Speaker 3: The only thing that is coming to my mind, and it would be little sprouts of little tree ceilings, like you know, oak seedlings coming up or something out of the ground. They would have a stiff little trunk like that. But I don't you know what, Dean, I nothing is ringing a bell right now on that other than like little oak seedlings or something coming up. Could I get you to take a picture of that and send it to me up close? I can, you know, put your hand on fingers on one saying this is it, show me the lawn area a little bit further back, and then get in real close, make sure they're in sharp focus, and let me take a look, not ringing a bell. If you pull on them, did they come out? Yes?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: Okay, also, well pull on, pull on a few, pull them out and set them on a flat surface like a table, and take a picture of that too. I'm gonna put your on hold and we'll get to the bottom of this. Just send me those good quality photos by email. Crystal, get on and give you an email for that. Thank you, sir. I appreciate that call. Look forward to solving this mystery. Let's see, we're gonna what time we got here. Okay, we're going to go to Paul and Laporte. Hey Paul, welcome to Guarden Line. Good morning, sir.
Speaker 27: How are you doing today?
Speaker 3: I'm well today, I'm well. How can we help you?
Speaker 27: Well, I've got a limit a lime tree I believe in my back. If it has spikes on it, it's a line I heard and it was about four foot tall when I moved in four years ago. Now it's about eight foot. But I need to trim it real good. When is a good time to do that?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 3: I would wait until spring. You do not want your tree to put on growth going into cold weather, because it'll just be more cold susceptible than normal. So if you need to trim it, if you're going to bring it in like the greenhouse or garage or something over winter, you can so that it's easier to get in the garage. Okay, then I would wait until spring. Okay, it's the same with roses. Planning roses. Yeah, roses we will do kind of in February at the end of winter. We don't wait until spring because roses are cold hearty, unlike etceterus, being a little iffy.
Speaker 27: Especially, I'm going to get my rose. I'm getting my rose garden going today. So I was wondering when it's a good time to buy and plant.
Speaker 3: So with roses, Oh, there now is the time to buy and plant. So is February that if you will buy and plant your roses this fall. Number one, there's some sales on around at some of our garden centers, and if you buy them this fall, you will have a head start on something that you waited until a spring to plant. And if you're going to oh, all kinds of places have roses a year down in the La Port area. I think you got some garden centers down in your area there you might I don't know if up in Seabrook, you know at Moss they have those. I would call uh, I would call Jorges Place over Jorges Hidden Gardens. That's over in Alvin. I don't know if you've ever been over there. Oh, yes, he also he also carries roses. I'll give you a phone number for him. Just let me get to my head. Uh, well, I don't have the phone here. He is on Elizabeth Road in Alvin, and I had just a second. Yeah, I'm gonna I'm gonna get it for him. But anyway, he I know has gotten some roses in uh and should have those as well. So that would be another another place that you might want to uh, you might want to check when you're doing a rose searching. But fall fall is the best time, absolutely, absolutely the best time.
Speaker 27: All right, I appreciate your time today, sir.
Speaker 3: All right, very much, Yes, sir, you as well take care. All right, folks, there we go. Let's see what are we doing here in time wise? Oh my gosh, we're a run out of time. We don't have time for another call. So I'm won't tell you about a couple of things. First of all, when you're over at Jorges you ought to grab his three sixty tree stabilizer has a lot of trees for sale too, by the way, but those three sixty tree stabilizers are excellent for new plants. You're putting in a tree, you're putting in a multi trunk crape myrtle or regular trees or whatever. They work. They hold the plant strongly. They're very strong, but they have a loose strap on the end and you want your staked trees to move just a little. That movement helps strengthen the trunk and it's important in thirty sixties designed for that. You're going to find them not only at Jorges Hidden Gardens down in Alven. You're gonna find them a Southwest Fertilizer Bisonett and Renwick up in Tombauld at Arborgate on two forty nine plants for all seasons down on the Heights Leven Street if you can Nursery and where two forty nine comes into belt wag eight r CW Nursery carries the three sixty tree stabilizers as well. Wow, that was fast. We got one hour left folks today. I want to remind you next Saturday, October fifth, from ten to three is the Fall Fest at Buchanan's Plants, and it is awesome. Buchanans puts on such a really really cool party for Fallfest. They are going to have all kinds of things like Halloween mass crafting and pumpkin painting and color stations, hay rides and more. That's for the kids game. Oh Aisha mentioned pumpkin ring toss, bean bag toss, cavenger.
Speaker 4: Huh.
Speaker 3: For the adults, we got a band called Yo Pond. Of course we do it Southeast Texas. And they're going to have all kinds of coffee, food, beer, wine, all kinds of cool stuff. It's a good It's always a good time to go to Buchini's. But this is a shindig. And guess what I'll be there from twelve to two, twelve to two next Saturday, Buchanan splans. We're gonna give away one hundred dollars gift card, some bags of Microlife brown patch as well. Hope you can make it.
Speaker 1: It's scared Rickard, It's shoes, the crazy.
Speaker 9: Gas.
Speaker 2: Just watch him as world, Many teas the sea, Batasy by.
Speaker 21: Gables, not a.
Speaker 2: Sign gass salmon.
Speaker 3: All right, folks, we are back. Welcome to garden Line, last hour a garden line this weekend. Looking forward to talking to you on the phone with your gardening questions at seven one three two one two k t r H. Seven one three two one two k t r H. You know, Microlife has a number of fertilizers, all of which are designed designed to build the soil. They're chalk full of beneficial microbes. We know that's important. That is important in helping plant roots to be more successful. It's important and out competing the bad guys in the soil, the bad microbes with good ones. In some cases just flat outright attacking the bad microbes with good ones. That works very well. Now, you know, this is a season where we put down the Microlife brown patch. It is a fertilizer that is designed for fall and with all the microbes in it, it is beneficial not only the soil, but also in terms of providing those plant structures protection from a population of microbes that sort of out competes in many cases some of the problems that we do with you know, brown patch being an example, prime example of diseases in the fall. I would suggest if you're going to do the Microlife brown patch. Go ahead and do the Microlife bio inoculant as well. That is not a nutrient source. It's sixty three you're that sixty three different beneficial micro organism strains. There are a lot of good guys in there. The basillas subtlests. That is a ten strains of that one basilla subtlest in and of itself. And I'm just picking one out there, but that there's even disease control products that are based on basillas subtlests that you spray. Bacillis is a good micro most of them are. And the soil you know BT kills caterpillars. That's a basillis. Uh, the mosquito dunks we talk about, that's a bacillus for mosquitoes. So there's a lot of good kinds of basillis. And this one has ten different strains of basillos in it. Micro micro grow bioinoculant. Put out the fertilizer, come back, load up the micro grow bioinoculant. It's a maroon colored bag. And do that to your lawn and then water doon really good and you'll be on your way to succes us from microlife Microlife for Lazers dot com are available lots of different places, easy, easy to find them on the market. I visiting with the folks at Microlife while back, learning a lot about some of the new products that they have out. You know, they have so many products that staying up to date on them and what they do and what they have and everything. It's an ongoing process, but they really strive to create array of organic options for success in your garden and in your lawn, your landscape and whatnot. Antennet Gardens done in Richmond is the kind of place you go where you grabble a carload of friends and say, come on, man, hop in, let's go, let's have a good time. It is a destination garden center out there in the Richmond Rosenberg area. Plenty of different kinds of plants and a lots of bling for the garden. I mean, they really specialize in that you want to create a beautiful fall planting basket, you got there and just buy one. They've got them ready to go, or you make one yourself. They'll put the plants, you know, help you give you suggestions on why don't you put these plants together and put this in the middle of it. Typically an ornamental grass for a fall planting container, a large container. They've got really cool bling to stick out in the garden, and they always have programs going on. You know, in the fall they kick into gear with their different educational contacts, educational events that are going on and in chanted gardens. You just know when you go there, you're gonna get good plants, you're gonna get good advice, and you're gonna have fun. It's a fun place to visit. A lot of times on weekends off a food truck out there or something like that just adds a little bit to the to the celebration. Last I think just Saturday they had Andy from Medina out there doing a fall veggie seminar. They've always got stuff going on out there and enchanted gardens, and when it comes to holiday decoration for Halloween, Thanksgiving, they are loaded up and you can really make your place fun and cool. Plus you get to meet all the all the unpaid staff. That would be like Cheeto the cat. If you haven't met Cheeto, go meet Cheeto. They've got some really cool pets all around that place. You're listening to Guarden Line again our phone number seven one three two one two K T R H. I'm gonna go to the woodlands and now and we're going to talk to Andy. Hello, Andy, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 28: Sure, a quick question for Saint Augustine grass. Looks like I've got some sort of weed or maybe another type of grass that's encroaching. It's starting to crowd it out. It's a low broad leaf, really dense grass or weed that has little white flowers on it. And I'm not sure what that is and how to get rid of it.
Speaker 3: White flowers if it's four petals kind of in like I'm making a plus sign, that is a junior button weed. And yeah, and so all those little things along the vine, those are the I guess the buttons. That's the seed pods. Now, you're not going to get rid of Virginia button weed by hand pulling it. It breaks off. But any that you do pull up with those seed pods and get them out of there, well that's less seed for the future for it. So if you have time and or able getting it pulled up is good. But as far as the spray, you want to use something called celsius. It's like the temperature celsius. Okay, So celsius on it. Virginia button weed is not easy to kill. You could spray it now. You could also, especially it's important you're going to have it next year, so go ahead when you see it coming out in the spring, hit it with celsius and then be ready to do that again in about six weeks. Hit it again. Because sometimes you knock it back and weaken it and then the second one fully takes it out. But that would be the approach to it. The wetter you keep the lawn, the happier that weed is. So a good soaking and then let it dry out. It won't make the weed go away, but it'll keep it from proliferating as fast, so that that's in your control aside from rainfall.
Speaker 28: Is celsius something I can just get at home depot, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know on that, okay, but it's great in the woodlands, yeah, I would. What I would do is I would probably look at the you know, the nearby ace hardware stores that you have, and let's see, being in the woodlands, if you go over to Auspa's Ace on kirkandall in the woodlands, I'll bet you they I bet you they have Celsius there. The other another nearby is all Star Ace up on fourteen eighty eight toward Magnolia direction from you. But they're going to have it. And then there's some other aces nearby. I found it. I was at an ace down and Wharton yesterday and they had they had Celsius there, okay, right, and being told well, if you were willing to hold, I'll catch you right after this break. So with you on hold, if you want to ask another one, just hang around, folks, I'll be right back in the big middle of our last hour of the week here on guarden Line. You know, this summer we had those storms. They knocked down trees left and right, knocked out power. It was a mess. As I said before, I'm surprised there's a single tree standing in Houston with the kind of damage that those storms came through and did. But if you need to get your trees taken care of, there's one place to go, and that's affordable tree care. Martin spoon Moore. Martin spoon More is an expert on tree care. He's been around a long time doing it in the Houston area. He knows what he's doing. Don't let people touch the trees. They don't know what they're doing. Just because someone owns it. Pick up in a chainsaw does not make them a tree service. I call that the two jerks on a chainsaw. Tree services don't do that. They can do damage that is forever on your trees. Martin knows what to do, and we're ending printing time October through February prime time to get printing done. Martin stays busy because Martin does good work, and so get on his schedule. You need to call him and get on the schedule if you want to get printing done, and you need to at least have him come out and look at your trees. He can pruning due to things like deeper feeding, checking the tree's health, any kind of you know, issues that might be going on with the tree. If you need to do something around a tree, like put in a trench or add a driveway, call Martin first to come out. Let him advise you on what to do, because after damage is done, it's kind of hard to turn back time. Martin can do that. Here's the number you need to write down seven to one three six nine twenty six sixty three. I'll say that again. Seven one three six nine nine two six six three. If you want to go to a website afftree service dot com. When you call Martin or Joe, his wife will answer the phone, and if they don't, you call the wrong place. Hang up in all seven month three six two six six three. Get on the schedule now tell them your guardline listener gets you up a little bit on the list there so that you don't wait a long time. But Martin stay's busy, so don't know. Let's go out to the woodlands. Now we're going to talk to Andy.
Speaker 27: Hello Andy, Yes, sir.
Speaker 28: Quick question on groundcovers, We use lemons set them and it's really a nice groundcover in the summer. Drought resistant does a great job. It'll die down in the winter, but when it comes back in the spring, it comes back bringing with it a lot of clover. Can I use a pre emergent weed killer or something that will kind of take care of the clover but not damage to set them.
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 3: Well, the answer to the word can is yes. The answer to the word you know, is it labeled is depends. I don't. I don't think barricade has an ornamental label. There is a product around I think it's called prem that where you sprinkle it around in your in your garden beds, your flower beds for that purpose. I generally don't recommend it because flower beds get you know, mixed. You you pull out plants, you put in plants, you mix in compost, and you're breaking the soil surface with each of those activities, and so you're the effectiveness of a premergent goes away when you when you break up the soil surface. But you might try that, and I think it should be labeled for succulents like that. That should be fine. But yes, any pre emergent would potentially stop the weeds from coming up in that And clover is a broad leaf weed, so it sprouts. It'll be sprouting in October when we get some cold weather. So follow my lawn care schedules to timing, and i'd get in early October. If you're going to try a pro emergent, do that in early October.
Speaker 28: Okay, And I guess since the settem's already rooted, then it shouldn't damage the setum.
Speaker 3: That's correct. That that is it is correct, But uh, the label is the law. That's the bottom line. And so you know, we only have ten bazillion plants that potentially could have something put around them like that, and I can't know exactly each one off the top of my head, but read the label to be sure. That's why I think I think Prene is going to be close to it for you. But there's probably some other products, you know, where you get out there and shop. You go to aspose ace up there in your woodlands and tell them what you're looking to do and see what they have on the shelf there.
Speaker 28: Okay, and how did you spell that.
Speaker 3: The pre the Ace hardware O her e e N yeah, r e e N.
Speaker 28: All right, great, all right, thank you for your.
Speaker 3: Time, and that may yeah yeah, and and Andy, that may not be the only one. That's just one that I'm familiar with that's been on the market for a while. For on them it's a thing you just carried around, Shake it and that stuff comes out.
Speaker 28: So yeah, all right, all right, thank you, you bet.
Speaker 3: You take care of good luck with that, and thank you for the call. Our phone number is seven one three two one two kt RH seven one three two one two k t RH. Give us a call. We'll be glad to help you with your gardening. Questions. If you live down in League City, League City Feed is your hometown feed store. And I don't mean just League City. I mean that whole area like Webster and Elkamina, Reale, Clearlake, Lamark, San Leon Dickinson, that whole region down there. League City Feed is your hometown feed store. They are located on Highway three, just a few blocks south of Highway ninety six in League City. You just from ninety six, just head down Highway three a few blocks. It'll be there on the left hand side. League City Feed has been around for forty years and the thing that I like about them is they have old time customer service like you've grown to expect over the years. It's becoming rarer and rarer these days. League City Feed has every fertilizer that I talk about on guard line that you need for your lawn and gardens. They've got pest control week controlled disease control. It's easy there. I mean it's a feed story. Yes, pet feeds up for your backyard chickens. They carry that. But Leake City Feed is the place to go. There open Monday through Saturday, nine to six, so you can stop by after work. Closed on Sunday. Close today but open again tomorrow Monday nine to six. Good time to swing by and grab what you need to have a beautiful lawn and landscape there at Leake City. Feed makes it really really easy. I like the place to stay open until six because that way, on the way home from work you can stop in and grab the things you need. Have you been to Arburgate up in Tomball, Texas? If you've never been, where have you been? Crawl out from under that rock and go to Arburgate. Arburgate has been around a long time and they are an outstanding place. I love going there. It is fun you walk around. The First of all, the staff is friendly and they are so knowledgeable. We collaborate a lot of times staff of Arbigate and myself on various things. Customers come in and ask about and do. But those folks know what they're doing. I mean, they are very hard to stomp with gardening questions. I can tell you that because they are gardeners here who are trained and know. When you're at Arburgate, pick up some of their organic food Complete. That's a fertilizer for anything with roots. Organic soil complete, well, it's a soil blend that also has expanded shale. And then organic Compost Complete, which is a compost that has expanded shale. Remember brown stuff before green stuff. You do those three things and the brown stuff is done, you're ready to plant. And Arborgate has a ton of plants. Of course, we're entering the fall season, so there is a bazillion great ideas for decorating your lawn, decorating the indoors from their gift shop, decorating your flower beds out there with bling Arbrogag's got you loaded up on that, and of course the widest variety of plants of all types, always up to date, always in season. Stop by Arburgate. You can go to Arburgate dot com or just head out two forty nine on twenty nine to twenty. They'll be there on the left hand side. Go behind Arburgate on Trishel Road for that great parking space that's now out and back. That is really cool. One of the best thing new things that's happened there this year. We're going to go now to Cypress, Texas and talk to Rachel. Hey, Rachel, welcome to Garmline.
Speaker 29: Hie Skip, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 11: So my front yard the grass.
Speaker 7: It's starting to brown, but it doesn't look like it's brown patch.
Speaker 9: It's a mix of the green grass with the brown grass like straw.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 11: And then the soil.
Speaker 4: Around that area looks kind of like it's sinning.
Speaker 9: What can I do to help this?
Speaker 3: The soil looks like what please?
Speaker 9: The soil around it looks like it's spinning.
Speaker 3: Okay, So so you're seeing the soil through the grass, yes, okay, Well, it could be a lot of things. The browning of the leaves is a sign is not getting water. That is a sign of that. Now it could be wet soil, but it doesn't have the roots to take up the water. So it could be it could be a lack of irrigation because we're still in the mid nineties, you know, in our weather and grass is using water. It could it could be a lack of a good deep soaking on a on an infrequent basis. You may have a shallow root system that's very prone to drying out. But it also could be a disease called take all root rot, take all kills grass. And if you you know, if you if you have that in you need to treat for it. It's on my schedule. You know, I have two schedules on my website. The website is Gardening with Skip dot Com, and the schedules are the lawn care schedule, which is mowing, watering, fertilizing, micronutrients, that sort of thing. The other one is the lawn pest Disease and Weed Management, which includes the take all root rot in October November or primetimes to put out treatments for take all root rot if that is what is indeed causing this and we've seen a lot of it this year.
Speaker 14: Yeah, okay, okay, great, I will check out your website.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it has the ingredients you need to see for that. Again, Gardening with Skip dot Com. Rachel, thank you and hope we get this under control. Feel free to call back if you have any ongoing issues.
Speaker 4: Okay, great, thank you?
Speaker 3: All right, you bet you take care, You take care. Where are we here? I got a little bit of time for the next break. I usually let break sneak up on me. About the time I pick up a call, I realize I can't take it. We're working on that operator error. Grain Pro. You need to know green Pro if you live in the northwest quadrant of the Houston area. We're talking I ten to I forty five. In the Northwest quadrant. Green Pro they serve the area about forty five miles from Montgomery. That's why I say Northwest quadrant, So Conrad Willis Woodlands over to Cyprus and Spring you know, over to Magnolia and Montgomery up in the north End and Katie West, Houston, Central North Euston that area, that quadrant. They serve it with quality lawn care services of air raiding and compost top dressing. There's some of the things they do, but air rating and compost top dressing that's the main thing. Now there's a deal going on with them right now. They will air rate your lawn for free when you purchase a two yard minimum of compost top dressing service. So if you I mean if you need a half yard, that they're not going to errate for free. But if you cover enough area where you need two yards of compost and you hire them for the compost stop dressing, they're going to do the air for free. Now, prices start around five seventy five plus tax. It is expensive to hault the expensive equipment and all those bulk supplies around all over the place. But it is one of the most important things you can do to take a long that's struggling and have success with it. Aerating helps with the compaction the compost. Top dressing falls into the aeration holes and it falls in among the grass runners and it just is good for the grass. They use quality materials. Greenpro dot net is their website, greenpro dot net And if you're looking to call them, just doll two eight one three five one forty seven thirty three tell them you heard about it here on Guardline two eight one thirty five to one forty seven thirty three. We're going to go now to Conroe and talk to Bill. Hey, Bill, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 30: Hi, Skip A quick question about top dressing. Doing the aeration and top dressing, I want to do that this next week. But I also have some take all rocks and I want to use say and I have started a fungus side program for that at using your schedule. Okay, to what extent does fungus side interfere with the breakdown of the top dressing.
Speaker 3: That is a very good question, Bill. I'm coming up on a break in order to be able to really answer your questions, I'm going to hold you until after break if you can stick around, and we will get to that. But that is an excellent, excellent question I'd like to delve into with you, folks. I got to take a break here. Our phone number is seven one three two one two ktr H and I'll be right back. If you'd like to give us a call, I feel free to do so seven one three two one two k TRH. Simply as that we're going to go. Now back to Bill and Conro. Bill, as I recall you were asking, one of your questions was if you use the fungicide, does it affect the breakdown of the compost you put as a top dressing. Is that correct?
Speaker 30: That's right, just the main question I'm asking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, funge of side skill fungus and part of the decomposition to compost is fungus. Part of it is fungus, part of it is bacteria actinomy seats. There's a lot of things active in that. That effect would be very brief. Nature is more resilient than that, and it would be very brief. And to the extent of it, I couldn't tell you. There are a lot of different fungi that are involved in organic matter decomposition, and then there are other fungi that are involved in plant disease. And so the product that you would put on your lawn the likelihood of it having major effects on the fungus decomposition. It's iffy as to how much that would be, and it would be very short lived. If you want to be extra careful, you go ahead and spread it with fun side and then do the compost top dressing. You could do it in that order if you want, but that would be my best answer that I can give you to that. I'm not aware of a study that was done comparing all the different possible products with all the different organisms that might be part of that. Okay, you had.
Speaker 30: Another great I really helped a lot.
Speaker 29: You know.
Speaker 30: I've been using two products in the alternate every two weeks for the last six weeks. Pro pa connasol a zoxystroban. Is that they're good, and I think I got those from your website here.
Speaker 3: Yes, well, they're good. They're good. They're good products, but that's really overkill. You know, you should do like a oxystrobin for take all. I would do it in October and i'd do it November, and that's it. In the fall. Oh really okay, Yeah, propa conasol will do about the thing that a oxystrobin does and cut pretty much the similar diseases we're going after. So if you did one, you wouldn't have to do both of them twice or something like that. I think, yeah, overkill. And when you start doing that, now you're looking at, you know, an excessive application, and so negative effects would be increased by overdoing. Oh yeah, yeah for sure.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, thanks a lot for the info.
Speaker 30: You suiting me strong.
Speaker 3: Good Hey, well, good luck with your lawn. I hope you hope you enjoy it, and I hope you have success. Thanks for reading the schedule. That's why you put them up there. You have a rest of your weekend. All right, let's see, we're going to go to Patterson, Texas and talk to Susan. Hey, Susan, welcome to guard Line.
Speaker 24: Hey, Skip, good morning, Thank you for taking my call. I've purchased several of the vegio or vego wherever they are garden beds that you talk about, and I have a large area and I'm trying to reduce maintenance and what have you, and I was thinking about right now. We live kind of out in the country and so it's just whatever weeds in bermuda, whatever comes up. I was thinking about covering that with about three inches of mulch and then putting the beds on top of that. Would you recommend any other kind of like total groundcover like that. Someone mentioned decompos granted, but I don't really want to go with something that gets that hot and now what have you?
Speaker 3: Okay, well you compose granted is fine. But here's the question is what are the bad perennial weeds. Like if you have bermuda grass that's going to come through pretty much everything and get into the bounce from the bottom, so you would need a really good thick landscape fabric for that. That's the black fabricy stuff that's put on the ground at a at a nursery grower. You know they put the butts on it.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, The compost won't help a lot. You can use cardboard under them, but it is going to break down and the and the bermuda grass will come through it. Now, if we're talking about just normal weeds, you know, annual weed seed kind of stuff, and most weeds, even like a Saint Augustine lawn. You could set that vego bed on the lawn filled up and the lawn and never come through it. You can't do that. It just doesn't have the ability. Saint Augustine doesn't. So that would be my advice you on that. Okay.
Speaker 24: I was thinking more like there where not where the bids specifically are, but like the like where you walk in between them, would is there? So you're saying that Bermuda is gonna laugh at the mult basically.
Speaker 3: Right, it'll laugh at everything. They'll get put it down, So I would before you put the veggos down, or if they're already down, just anytime you see bermuda, you gotta spray it. And if you go online to a garden garden schedule, if you go on my website gardening with Skip dot com, I have a publication called herbicides. Herbicides for skips weed wiper. Forget the weed wiper part, although you can use that, but that list of herbicides tells you by weed type what products and ingredients you're looking for. So with the grass is like bermuda, you have three options, two grass only killers and one general product killer. And you can find the brand names on there' you go shop, you can find what you're looking for to kill that bermuda grass.
Speaker 24: Okay, if I put the landscape fabric down and then put mulch on top of it, the bermuda is still going to come through that probably, No.
Speaker 3: It won't come through the landscape fabric. Now it came from the side. Grow over the top of it and then get in that way. YEA bermuda has two types of of the equivalent of runners. One is the stolons on top of the ground like Saint Augustine has that too, and the other is the rhizomes underground. That's where you could scrape all the back out of the ground. Yeah, the submarines that you don't know where they're going to pop up and so that. But so the landscape fabric would stop those. But if you from the side had bermuda crawl over the top of the landscape.
Speaker 4: Over the top.
Speaker 24: Yeah, okay, I see what you're saying.
Speaker 3: It's not going to be able to stop it yet.
Speaker 24: Okay, all right, appreciate your help.
Speaker 3: All right, thank you very much. I appreciate you.
Speaker 24: Thank you.
Speaker 3: You bet you take care. Let's see here, where are we going?
Speaker 24: Now?
Speaker 3: We are gonna go. Yeah, we don't quite have enough time to take the next calls. I'm going to hold off on that so I can give you guys a little bit more time when we come back from that break. Hey Nelson plant Food has a product called nutristar genesis genesis easy to remember. Whenever you transplant a plant, you should have that jar genesis handy so you can mix it into the soil with the transplant. When you're bumping plants up from one sized pot to another, the new soil the new pot, put genesis in it. When you're planting shrubs and trees and perennials, anything vegetables out in the garden beds, mix in some genesis, then plant your plant. It works really well. It's loaded with micariza bacteria and other good microbes that help your soil, and it gradually feeds. It doesn't burn. It gradually feeds, helps with that transplant shock, and then you do your other fertilization on top of it all. But the genesis is what you're looking for from nitrofoss comes at a big jar and it really really works. We want to take a quick break. I'll be back and got our last segment for all you cool kids out there in gardening. Cool gardening kids. You know, gardening makes you cool. By the way, I don't know if you knew that you need to tell your kids that. They probably don't realize that it's true. Let's head out to Donald in Hisston and Hello, Donald, Welcome to Garden Line.
Speaker 14: How are you skip?
Speaker 31: This is a great show. I want to ask, here is my audio?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 13: Does my phone sound okay?
Speaker 3: Perfect? Perfect?
Speaker 22: Is my phone?
Speaker 29: Okay?
Speaker 3: It's a clearer absolutely, okay.
Speaker 10: Good.
Speaker 31: I wanted to mention to you that some time ago I mentioned to you there were about thirty acres not about there were thirty acres plus in love Lady, Texas. And I wanted to plant thornless BlackBerry bushes up there and let them grow naturally. And I just want to I just wanted to update you that thornless BlackBerry bushes are great because I had BlackBerry bushes with thorns and they were out of control and you can't fit. They're real tricky to they grow like crazy everywhere. So can you still get thornless BlackBerry bushes?
Speaker 14: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can a number of varieties out there on the market. All right, go ahead, are you looking for some suggestion varieties.
Speaker 31: Well, no, really, when I go to where they're growing, I don't care what the variety as long as there are a BlackBerry without thorns on the thorns are terrible, so right, And I wanted to update to what happened with the thornless BlackBerry patch up there and Love Lady, which was the thirty acres. It's now growing hay for hay for cows, because the cows like hey more than blackberries. And I know I'm trying to I don't actually you need gardening advice because I have a small memorial garden outside my patio, and we never talk about squirrels. We never talk about the squirrel war. And the other thing I wanted to mention quick like is I have a garden hose, a five ace's garden hose with an adapter which has a gallonage meter on it, and I can just let people know I've used it a lot. If you take a five eighths hose and you turn it on let's say almost full, in about five minutes, it'll put out forty gallons. That's remember I talk to you about overwatering or underwatering.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true. All right, good to know, Hey, good to know, Donald, Yes, sounds like.
Speaker 31: And to keep the squirrels away, I bought some stuff in a catalog called Rodent Sheriff and it's in a little spray bottle.
Speaker 3: And what it is.
Speaker 31: It's a very heavily minted kind of a smell. You know, you can actually spray it on your hand and lick it. It's not going to hurt you, but it's a heavy mint smell. And I guess squirrel don't like this this.
Speaker 3: Did it work for you?
Speaker 31: I'm not sure because the only the only way to really keep this is great. The only way to really keep squirrels away from your garden is to have Roscoe. Roscoe's the dog who monitors and takes care of love lady. Nobody goes anywhere staring at you, and he would keep everything, every squirrel, every animal, and every person away from it.
Speaker 3: There you go, Hey, Donald, Thanks, I got I got a few folks. I got a few folks waiting in line. I'm gonna have to run to you, but thanks for that update. And keep me posted on the on the mint flavored squirrel repellent. I'd like to know if that were.
Speaker 31: I really eventually. I really like to get out and meet with you. It's great that you go around and have actual meet the people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, good, well i'll be I'll be at Buchanan's Native Plants next Saturday from twelve to two. If you get a chance to come out. Thanks a lot, and I look forward to seeing you out there. I got to keep going here. We got short time and some callers to get to Greg and Conro. How can we help?
Speaker 4: Yeah, how are you doing?
Speaker 13: Skip?
Speaker 12: Hey?
Speaker 13: Yeah, I've heard you say this before on the on the show, and I didn't write it down, but I've got a lemon tree, kind a lime tree, and about eight inches of the very top of them and they're still short or the leaves are curling all up.
Speaker 3: Real bad. I think you said it was probably Yeah, it's probably the citrus leaf miner. If the trees are large and doing fine, you can ignore the leaf miner. I mean it'll take some leaves out, but there it won't really affect production much. If they're young and you're trying to get them to grow, Uh, then I would treat for leaf minor. And the product you want to get is called spin no set, and I'll spell that s p I n O S A. D.
Speaker 13: Spinner said, Okay, so this has been happening for quite a while. I need to cut some limbs off or.
Speaker 3: What now that won't have Just whenever you get a new flesh of growth, spray with spinosid because they go after that tender new growth. So get some new growth, go ahead and spray it with spinosid. Don't worry about the old leathery dark leaves. The citrus minor won't attack those.
Speaker 13: Well, there's still a lot of growth that's just on the very tips up top of now it was on my line for you're not getting a lemon. And they're like I said, they're both small. I've had them happy here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well they're they're going to tag all types of ceterrus. So I just have something, put a little handsquirter and just squirt that new growth and it'll soak in and it'll keep that lead miner from tearing them up, like curling them up like.
Speaker 29: It does.
Speaker 3: Work right, all right, sir?
Speaker 4: All right, thank you.
Speaker 3: Greg, thanks for the call. All I asked is you bring me half the production off your citrus trees. Leave it at the station. We'll call it even all right.
Speaker 4: You got it.
Speaker 3: Thank you all right, Southwest Houston, Carolyn, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 29: Yes, yesterday, I might have a note put down barricade for the spring weeds. Do I also need to put down carbo load at the same time?
Speaker 3: Do not use both of those carbo loads a pre emergent and right, carbo load has a pre emergent. Barricade is a pre emergent. So if you do one or the other, if you're going to do the carbel load, then you've already got the pre emergent. You don't have to also do you don't want to also do the barricade. If you're just using a fertilizer, it's just a fertilizer, then you can use a barricade with that.
Speaker 29: Okay, So I need the carbo load instead of the barricade. Uh huh, oh okay, great, that's all I need to know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's kind of like if you I don't know, I can't get think of a good example. But if you had some food that had ibuprofen in it, you know, and then you also had some title and all to take, you wouldn't take both. You would take one or the other. Oh okay, carbo load is food with pre emerging in it.
Speaker 29: Oh great, okay, we'll make that change. Put down the carbo load. Thank you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when you put it, get it done in early October and watered in right after you put it in with about half inch of water and you'll be set to go.
Speaker 29: Great halfach water terracing.
Speaker 3: Thank you, oneful you bet a good rest of your weekend.
Speaker 29: Thank you.
Speaker 3: All right, Wow, this this show has flown by. That's been pretty pretty fast. We really got got to move in here down the line on calls and stuff. Glad to talk to you all. Thanks for listening to Garlan. I appreciate that. Don't forget. I'm going to be at Buchanan's Native Plants on Saturday, October fifth, that's six days from now ten am to tu three pm. Is the event of Fall Fest at Buchanans. I'll be there from twelve to two answering your gardening questions. Hey, bring me some samples, put them in a bag, so enclose. Any insects or disease or anything you got, put them in a bag, bring them on in. We'll take a look, we'll identify, we'll diagnose. Also if you have photos on your phone. We can look at them that way. Just make sure they're good, crisp, sharp, focused photos and we'll be happy to help you with that. Love to meet listeners all the time, So come on out to Buchanans. I'll be giving away one hundred dollars gift certificate from Buchanans that you register to win for. We'll give them away Microlife brown Patch as well. And this event is fun. I mean the kids, bring kids. If you don't have any kids, just knocked on the door next door and bring some of their kids. They're gonna have pumpkin ring toss, beam bag toss, scavenger hunt. They're gonna have crafts and a moon balance and on and on, pumpkin painting, Halloween mass color coloring stations, Hey rides. I can't say all that stuff. They have it all going on. Right There a band called Yopon. Every time I hear say that, I'll laugh. Of course it's called Yopon. It's Southeast tasty. And then there'll be things for adults like food and coffee and beer and wine. And me I'm for adults. That's what I'm there for. So we'll be glad to help you bring your kiddos out have a good time at Buchanan's Native Plants. Next Saturday, they'll be going on the Fallfest is going on from ten to three. I'll be there from twelve to two over the noon hour. Come on and see me. Look forward to having a very good time with you out there at Buckin's Native Plants. Remember, in the meantime, if you want information on gardening, go to my website Gardening with Skip dot com. Follow us, Follow garden Line on Facebook, Follow garden Line on Instagram. We're on both places. We're constantly posting stuff that you would be interested in as a gardener. In the meantime, have a fun week out in the garden and we'll see you next time.
Speaker 4: Three