Speaker 1: It's like the Seinfeld noise.
Speaker 2: You're just mumbly.
Speaker 3: Like the bass.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's both. It's the pops and the uh yeah.
Speaker 2: So you do the deeper thing and I'll do the little pop.
Speaker 1: That's what I wanted. That one's good. Well, okay, you do that. You do the guitar and I'll do the bass.
Speaker 3: To be my latex salesman. It's a claccic episode. I'm so tired. Welcome back every episode ninety two of the fire Escape Cast. I'm Mike Mahardy here with Dan Reichert, Hi Hello and Mary Kish Hello. Straight out of New York and Portland in Minneapolis as always in New York.
Speaker 4: I saw you in New York, well, New Jersey. I guess two days ahead dinner with you and Amanda, and it was delightful years ago.
Speaker 3: I'm actually finishing the pineapple juice I opened.
Speaker 2: Oh oh that you made some good cocktails.
Speaker 4: I just somedette nut.
Speaker 3: What you call adett D's nuts.
Speaker 2: You made great cocktails. That was a nice nightcap there.
Speaker 3: Oh those are good. It was the last word riff. I call it a pine apparol dackerie.
Speaker 2: It was very delicious, pretty good.
Speaker 3: It's just Uh, what was it?
Speaker 2: It was just.
Speaker 3: White rum apparol, pineapple juice and simple and.
Speaker 1: Put apparol in anything and it usually tastes better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where were you Mary? We were all having fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks for fucking coming over.
Speaker 1: Geez, I was off the grid. I was camping.
Speaker 2: Thought we were buds.
Speaker 4: What the hell I was Mike and Amanda just been drinking, having a good time, wondering all the stars.
Speaker 3: Where'd you were camping? For real?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I haven't been camping in years, definitely over five years since the last time I like slept in a tent without having internet access. But it was great. I I we went to mill of Nowhere. I had a little tent. I invested in a good mattress, which I think was the clutch move. It's like foam and inflatable, so it has foam in there, and then you add air so that it's poofy enough, but it's not it's not all foam, so that it tight packs really tight into like a tiny little container. Is great.
Speaker 2: I did so I used the roll up.
Speaker 4: I actually just bought more and mattresses for my house because a bunch of people going over for extra life and new jokers and stuff, but you have to plug into like a normal outlet, Like are the camping ones?
Speaker 2: Do you not need a full deal, real deal outlet.
Speaker 1: This one is battery operated and you charge it so that when you get there, you just put the inflator on it and it inflates on its own, so you don't need to as long as it's charged, you don't have to do anything, which is super Those.
Speaker 4: Are comfy, like inflatable, Like you think that they'd be shitty, but like, honestly they're totally fine.
Speaker 3: We have live we gotta get a new one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm going to send you. I'm going to send you what I got because it is my opinion that what I have is better than an inflatable mattress because a lot of times inflatable mattresses have this mistake where they're like, look how tall it is, right, Like it's like six mattresses packed on top and it's all air, so it's going to be super comfortable. But the reality is is you don't need three feet of height of air and that's not comfier.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: The mattress I have is like what six inches tall? Saw very It's not very thick, but it's a combination of to shut up, Mike, it's like a combination of mattress material and air that makes it so comfortable. And I realized when guests come over, I'm not going to give them the air mattress that I have for the house anymore. I'm going to give them.
Speaker 2: The tents and bear fur and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is not. First of all, it is brand new. It's like only been used for this one trip, and it was in a tent where there's.
Speaker 4: Outside still the elements you gotta have inside and outside mattresses.
Speaker 1: What are you talking about? You put like a sheet on it. It's inside of a tent.
Speaker 2: They're crafty, they're not getting in there. Yeah. Not why you're there.
Speaker 3: Your air mattress or no you sorry your tent?
Speaker 2: Sorry?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: In my house in the closet, most people.
Speaker 3: You know, there's not birds and bears and briars and brambles and what's a briar? I don't know. Sometimes I got.
Speaker 1: A couple of woodsmen over here a little bit worried about briar ship in my tent. But I'm telling you, like, there's no debris.
Speaker 3: I got tulip ship on my pants. There's bear pollen in my nose. I'm allergic. Oh, the vaultures are coming in with their chlorophyll. What. Speaking of air mattresses, we got news.
Speaker 2: What where are you going with this?
Speaker 3: J and Marry and me will be saying on air mattresses at Dan's place.
Speaker 2: No, you guys will get the normal mattresses.
Speaker 4: I constructed the triple bunk beds, but all the mattresses are still there, so you're going to get the normal ones. And then the overflow is the other air mattresses.
Speaker 1: Well connected to each other.
Speaker 2: You can do whatever you.
Speaker 4: Can, tetriss the hell out of them however you want. I've got all the mattresses.
Speaker 3: You've officially have a date for our Game of the Year stream for twenty twenty four to decide the best games and give the best opinions were everybody.
Speaker 2: This year, we're scooping every outland with our Game of the Year.
Speaker 3: We're going we're literally going more than a month earlier than last year. We will be doing our Game of the Year live stream on November fifteenth, sixteenth sixteenth, sorry, sixteenth Saturday. The sixteenth Saturday, November sixteenth, fifteenth, we got to watch the Mike Dyson fight the sixteenth is Mike Dyson more important stuff. November sixteenth, Saturday. More info forthcoming about this specific time, but it will be live streamed on Twitch and.
Speaker 4: Safe to assume we'll start in the evening like in the past. I would say somewhere between five and seven Central sounds about right, and then we'll probably go late into the night. But stay tuned to fire Escape socials and our socials and stuff, and we will keep you abreast.
Speaker 3: We're gonna beat Game Spot, We're gonna beat IGN, We're gonna beat Giant Bomb, We're gonna be We're gonna be Polygon. We're gonna be the first. We're gonna opinion.
Speaker 1: Take that kind of funny.
Speaker 3: Everybody and kind of funny. We're gonna beat the besties.
Speaker 2: Everybody's to follow us.
Speaker 3: We're gonna beat Ben Max.
Speaker 1: We always wanted to beat Ben Hanson.
Speaker 3: Everybody's gonna have to follow us. The personal goal a perfect list.
Speaker 4: On November sixteenth, Mary, I saw you taking Ben Hanson that chicken place.
Speaker 2: I gotta go there next time I'm in Portland.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's that video that he released. It of the behind the scenes is so good and it's a very nice reflection of the experience that we had very fun, good time.
Speaker 2: So yes, looked great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we should do. We've we try and mix it up every once in a while. But we like Dan's house for Gody for a few reasons. One, it's central, it's moderately equal from both me and Mike.
Speaker 3: To go to cool Judge Jake's going to be there, of.
Speaker 1: Course, And of course Judge Jake is going to be there.
Speaker 3: Say his name, So I was just ye credit because.
Speaker 1: First of all, Jake isn't going to be there. It's cool Judge Shake is going to be there.
Speaker 3: Jake Deckert has refused to come to every single game of the year.
Speaker 4: We've Minnesota sounds too cold, helfish.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this little high boy comes out of the mountains into the desert and says, no, what will come go to fuck Jake dot org and you'll get you'll know all about it. You care for Jake shouldn't direct people that site anymore. But yeah, other reasons we go to Dan's continue to.
Speaker 1: Dan usually has a large level of equipment that is conducive to us doing a long stream that he's already set up and is eager to to to put up all the energy into setting up a big live stream in his living room where.
Speaker 2: Is the kitchen.
Speaker 3: He usually has a large house, at which point I was gonna be like, is this like a house of leaves and it's shrinking or does switch house and.
Speaker 1: Every year, Yeah, it gets a little smaller.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's random always that you can't see from the outside.
Speaker 1: It was a strange deal with the witch he made in the woods that day, but his.
Speaker 4: House was lower the interesting to help the interest rate. I'd be a fool to say no to it.
Speaker 5: That way, you'll lose one foot of width, fine six inches of length and a little headroom.
Speaker 3: Oh. I do have one other housekeeping thing. I'll bring it up at the end of the episode though, But as of November first, we are switching to subscription billing for our Patreon. If you're already a Patreon subscriber, whether it's for the ad free episodes or the videos, disregard this. You will get charged on the first of every month, as you always have been. But if you're not a patron, or if you've lapsed and are considering coming back for end of the year stuff. I think that's a nice quality of life feature most of all patreons going toward this, but also we're happy that it'll work for Firescape patrons as well.
Speaker 4: Speaking of our patrons, I don't give a shout out to doctor Fernando.
Speaker 3: He was the coolest name ever. I have to say.
Speaker 2: I like saying doctor Fernando a lot.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you didn't see the tweet, I was at a bar with with Alex Boniello in New Jersey a few days ago, and uh, we were hopping to a second bar because the first one was closing. And as we walk in, we see a guy sitting there at the bar with a drink and he turns and he does a double take and he's like Dan Reichert for the record, did not at all recognize Alex Boniell. And uh, it's like, let's sit down. He's a he's a Broadway guy. He's a Disney he's like a Disney actor guy. But he's like, oh yeah, sit down, And I got the drinks for the rest of the night, and you know, paid for me and Alex's drinks. Had some great chats about movies and video games and all sorts of stuff and uh and being a doctor.
Speaker 3: And uh, specify how he knew you, because right now the story is just about how he knew who you were.
Speaker 4: Oh no, specifically, he was like, I'm bringing up on this because he was like, oh Fire Escape, Big Virus Cap fan. Yes, yes, I would.
Speaker 3: I would have loved to just continue. And it was a story about how somebody recognized you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we went to high school together, yeah Fernando. Yeah no, uh no, Big Fire Escape band, Doctor Fernando and uh yeah, great dude, and wish him the best and thanks for being a fan.
Speaker 1: Yay, that's wonderful. Sounds like a good evening and what a nice surprise. That's lovely.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: He was like, uh, He's like, oh, I don't wanna you know, don't want to be weird or don't want to be pushy or anything. I was like, no, no, no, trust me, you can you can tell every once in a while there's like fans and stuff that are just a little weird and don't understand boundaries and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Colleagues that are weirder than that. Who will come up to you outside of shows like you don't remember who I am?
Speaker 2: Do you?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: But I told doctor Fernando immediately like no, trust me, I can hurt him. Tell you know, you're a He's a forty year old doctor with a family, a real deal, serious job, and he was very very kind and everything was like, trust me, you're you're not You're not doing anything wrong here.
Speaker 2: You're being very very pleasant.
Speaker 4: So cool, dude, Doctor Fernando, the official doctor of the fire Escape cast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's get him on an episode.
Speaker 4: Doctor Fernando. I told him the email ends. Have you ever seen Fernando email? Let's let's put them on the top of the list.
Speaker 2: I checked.
Speaker 3: I've not seen anything yet. However, I would like at some point for him to email actual medical stuff, not like patient records. That'd be cool, but debunking information we have propped up as fact in the past, which we never do, so he'd have to dig really deep into episodes.
Speaker 2: I think you said we were all pretty right about everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I believe that's what most people who listen to this podcast saying, you're pretty much right about most of the.
Speaker 2: Things people Medical Advice podcast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if I ate cardboard, would that burn calories? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we did figure that out.
Speaker 3: We were right about that. Actually, yeah, yeah, Once in a Blue were smart? Broken clock? What else is new Wait Mary, Overall, how was camping? I actually have been talking to a couple of friends about I miss camping. I grew up like in the woods, basically in Central New York. I miss it. I want to do it again. However, time is tough, and then once you get to a certain part of the year, there's a shit ton of mosquitoes or there's snow, and I feel like I'm missing the window this year, unfortunately, but I do want to do it more.
Speaker 1: I was pleasantly surprised with how camping went, considering I don't consider myself a camper at all, but I put a lot of energy into the cooking situation. So I got one of those burners that uses a butane canister and just has a little flame. And then I got a big pot and on night one, I made hot pot with thinly sliced beef and yeah, baby bok choy and cat.
Speaker 4: When you send your eyebrows off using propane because it's dangerous.
Speaker 1: It's now tane and it's very different and it's pretty safe.
Speaker 2: It's lucky. You're lucky you're not missing a limb or something. Right now.
Speaker 1: I'm not taking kitchen advice from someone who can't cook eggs.
Speaker 4: It's not advice. It's just a warning to be careful around explosion.
Speaker 1: Again, it's not I mean, gas is explosive, and thank you for the warning. It's very safe. You just can't be a ding dong around it.
Speaker 2: I'm like the Smoky the Bear for explosive gases.
Speaker 3: I think I've told the story. Actually when for a year Jake me Justin Haywoald Eric Taylor, who I don't think people would know listening to the podcast because he wasn't like on the editorial side, But we all lived in that house out by the beach in San Francisco. I've probably told this way back in the show, but every time I hear about we had a guess era. We had a guess thing in this building like eight months ago. To me and another neighbor were like, does the stairwell kind of smell like gas? And it turned out a plumber like left a valve open after fixing our neighbor's boiler, so we had to, you know, like open all the windows evacuate the building for a bit. It reminded me of the time I woke up from a nap after work in the sunset and had a searing headache at like seven pm. And you know, I absolutely love Eric Taller. He's he's an absolutely great dude. He is kind of a DIY dude. And he wanted to install our new We all pitched in to get new washer dryers for the laundry room, and again he took it upon himself to install it, and I think he had done something out of order. So basically the house flooded with gas. So I woke up with a headache, pounding headache from having held it. So then we had to we aired it out after a while. But every time I smell gas, I get like a like a phantom paint now like a return headache.
Speaker 2: So two questions, if you had not left the house, would you have died?
Speaker 3: I can't imagine it would have been good. Like if any of us had been like lighting up a joint.
Speaker 4: See that that was a question too, was like if one of he was lighting a candle or a joint or something, would you have exploded?
Speaker 3: If I had a headache from it, And granted I was on the same floor as launder room, so I probably got it worse than anybody. That also explains a lot about my me if Yeah, if I had been doing anything, I think I could have undamaged to myself in the house.
Speaker 2: Oh that's scary. Yeah, that's why.
Speaker 3: I'm not mistake and not a mistake that. Yeah, but that's why you.
Speaker 1: Have to You currently are messing with gas because you have you have you have heat in your house.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, but I don't do anything with it.
Speaker 3: Are you talking to me?
Speaker 1: No, I'm saying Dan is saying he doesn't mess with gas because it can kill you. But you are messing with gas because it's in your house.
Speaker 4: I'm saying, like, I'm not doing things that have like Ei, there's a gas line that goes to my deck that I will never touch. In fact, I'm trying to. I want to get it ripped out. Yeah, because I don't trust myself with it. And also there's I think our stove is is it gas? If there's like actual flames coming out of it, yes, yes, then that's why it's like every once in a while I have to heat up water to like heat up these burn ins or whatever, and it's every single time I'm like, this might be it for me.
Speaker 3: I get the trepidation. Like one of our burners on the stove. You have to spark a few times, and then by that point a decent amount of gas has been released. You have to release and don't take and don't take my word for it. I don't want people blowing up. But like I've done, I've sparked it like six times and it's a pretty big but it never singes my hand.
Speaker 4: I just it's there is that part and fight Club and its whole apartment blew up.
Speaker 3: What happened in fight Club? Remind me?
Speaker 2: They showed that they did the David Ventures.
Speaker 4: Show behind the oven and then there was one little spark and the whole places blew up. I've been scaring ever since.
Speaker 3: I think that's because the ghaslak had been going on for several days. Is my point. The burner like gas, dissipates fairly quickly, and then the flame itself kills like burns the gas immediately.
Speaker 4: But what if some of it escapes and then it's all over the place, and then you try to light a candle and then everyone's just you know, yeah.
Speaker 3: I from my understanding, if there's enough of it, it could be bad. But like your gas, you have a car. Gas in the car, I can door dash. It's fine. The car handles all the stuff.
Speaker 4: I I don't want to do anything where I'm in control of the explosive gas.
Speaker 2: I trust the car to do it right.
Speaker 1: You fly, Have you ever seen any shoots the plane and the plane explodes because there's gas in the plane. That could happen.
Speaker 4: That's unrealistic. That's ridiculous. Everything die hard two situation. Yes, is that why you don't like cooking?
Speaker 3: Dan? Because the stove.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of reasons I don't like cooking. I could do the chicken wrong and then you die of salmonella. I don't know how evens work, so I could explode. There's like some crazy oil and water thing where it's just there's magic fire that can't be put out, that goes everywhere and gets in your face and your scarred for life.
Speaker 3: There's super knives.
Speaker 4: There's just I'll just door dash or do my delivery stuff.
Speaker 2: For the end of time, and it's totally fine.
Speaker 1: What happens when they spit in it.
Speaker 2: I'll take spit over exploding, that's fair.
Speaker 3: What would happen if door dash uber eats move on grub hub? Just what say, there's some weird law that like Biden enacts before he leaves office. It's like they're all illegal all of a sudden. You can't use food delivery service.
Speaker 4: I guess you give me stuff, I get the stuff delivered.
Speaker 2: They put in the fridge, and you.
Speaker 1: Can't have that either.
Speaker 3: So the microwave, so it's microwave. You're fine with im.
Speaker 2: The microwave. I have no no worries about the microwave.
Speaker 1: Electrical fire, Oh whatever.
Speaker 2: That's fine.
Speaker 4: I've been using I've used a microwave a billion times in my life. I've used an oven like seven times.
Speaker 1: I've used my gas oven as many times as used a microwave, and I've been fine.
Speaker 4: Are there electric ovens, because I know there's electric gas stoves you.
Speaker 3: Can do like the flat ones the plates that just kind of heat up or no, they sometimes they're just not their flat surface the whole stoves flat serves are circles indicate where they're that's the oven.
Speaker 2: Wise, I don't know, Like I don't have a gas or like I could.
Speaker 3: Get one of those. I guess at some point, I think we got a nice one of those instead of the switch to I just.
Speaker 2: Never I just never. Look. I don't know.
Speaker 4: To find a way to expense the stove.
Speaker 3: Submitting your expense report to fandom. Uh, Nintendo's stove stove.
Speaker 4: An alarm clock. Now we'll get to that later. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm just fine.
Speaker 4: I've got my whole life without really having to learn any kind of cooking stuff. And I mean I can do the shelves and cheese thing now, and I can heat up my burn ends that.
Speaker 2: Requires you to boil water, So like I got that figured out.
Speaker 1: That's great. By the time you're sixty, you'll be able to make a salad.
Speaker 2: I don't need to. My dad's sixty.
Speaker 4: He doesn't know how to do anything. He knows less than I do. The North Star of people's not He just microwaves just cheesy, you know, bullshit whatever stuff like it's it's all just microwave like, you know, hot pockets and pizzas and stuff.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna sound like a dick. I think maybe not. Mary, you be the judge.
Speaker 1: Here we go.
Speaker 3: If you've gotten this far, go for it. I'm I think you're missing out on a very enjoyable part of life, which is actual cooked food.
Speaker 2: I'll put it this way.
Speaker 4: There were a few times in the last couple of years where I've been if there's one.
Speaker 2: Thing that hit me to do things, say, it's money.
Speaker 4: And I've gotten sponsorships from like Hello Fresh and shit before, and so I've done some Hello Fresh streams. So it's like, hey, they're paying me to cook, I'll cook. And it was actually laid.
Speaker 2: Out pretty well.
Speaker 4: I'm not getting paid by them right now, but it actually did teach me how to do it, and it was fun and it did taste very good. It's just the idea of doing that like every night for my dinners seems insane. And then to think that there are people that do that all the time, but with like more people like they do that with like oh I got to cook for two kids and another adult, Like that's the wildest shit I've ever heard of?
Speaker 3: Is the is it the time commit miss time concerns?
Speaker 4: And also it's just like stuff like a lot of these ingredients and stuff go bad in a couple of days. So it's like how do you fucking juggle like getting like you can't just you can't go to Costco and buy like cooking stuff. Yeah, it's like you're buying vegetables and stuff that goes bad and everything.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think, I don't know. I got to a certain point in my life where cooking became this meditative way to end the day, working with my hands to create something. I don't know. I'm not, I'm I'm you know, I don't.
Speaker 1: But you you're an organized person. I think like the thing that I feel like you feel like you don't have is that it's just so crazy that you would be able to schedule it and organize it. But you can schedule all sorts of stuff. You've never broken an embargo because you know how to set your calendar to something and keep your brain to it. It's the same thing with eggs. It's the same thing with lettuce. You know what I mean. You got to use it by the twelfth of October.
Speaker 4: You know, get it done way, Okay, Okay, so let's go the capacity. Yes, I could learn it, but I think a bigger issue is like I'm just trying to eat healthier now, and so like I'm like, okay, great, I'm gonna get it. I can buy frozen broccoli, and I got an air fryer. That'd be a great way to make snacks throughout the day. It's just, you know, if it's some olive oil and salt and pepper and you know, lime juice and stuff on it and air fry some stuff.
Speaker 3: It's great.
Speaker 2: I bought it all.
Speaker 4: I have a bunch of broccoli florettes and my freezer and I did it once and it was awesome. But I would love to do that every day, but it's like I don't have time to, like between meetings and recordings and shit, to like preheat for five minutes, throw them in there and toss him around and put them in for another five minutes and like eat a whole pound of broccoli. I don't have time to do that between stuff, but I do have time to go, like eat a couple un crustables, which, by the way, I.
Speaker 2: Just discovered uncrustables.
Speaker 4: I think I could have got my entire life without knowing the glory of uncrustables because I was afraid because they had jelly in them, and why we're in Jersey and I just need to stock the fridge or some shit to eat during the day. Bank was like, you've never had uncrescibles, and I was like, no, It's like they're incredible. It's the perfect ratio of peanut butter and Jelly's enabling.
Speaker 2: Well, no bank knows what I.
Speaker 4: Like, and she knows good quality, and so she's like, you should get some smuckers on crustables.
Speaker 2: And I got past my fear of jelly.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: And then it's like, now I can open the door to uncrustables, and I'll be damned if it's not the softest bread, a great ratio, peanut butter, and jelly. I'm a big smuckers on crustables guy.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah, a whole new world for you now that you've learned about jelly.
Speaker 2: It's true.
Speaker 3: I don't want to tell someone how to live their life. And I'm struggling because here we go. You say I don't have time. All you have time is place like twenty minutes less of echoes of wisdom, And they did.
Speaker 2: I had to beat that game. It was like twenty five thirty hours. I beat it. Okay, So tell me I shouldn't have beaten the game and done my job.
Speaker 3: You could have beaten it a day later if you had committed to. If you don't want to cook, then go for it.
Speaker 4: That BRONI isn't going The broccoli doesn't have a time where it's like, oh, we're still talking about broccoli. Like if I'm talking about echoes of Wisdom in February, it's like, oh, we're done talking about that.
Speaker 3: Fair enough October. But yeah, but.
Speaker 2: Is not embargoed.
Speaker 1: There's no embargo on broccoli.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, that's a good point. Okay, that's a bad example. I just think you could probably find twenty minutes in your day if you really wanted to cook.
Speaker 2: If you don't want to, I wish I could.
Speaker 3: I guarantee you gave me your schedule, I could find you twenty minutes in.
Speaker 1: Your what's the pie chart of your life? Where do you fill most of it? Sleeping?
Speaker 2: Sleeping is like six to eight hours?
Speaker 1: Okay, good?
Speaker 3: What else you got earlier?
Speaker 1: What else you got?
Speaker 2: I got?
Speaker 4: Okay, for every meal, I got to take out my fuck teeth gimmick and do a whole brushy thing and everything. So you add all that up, that's probably forty minutes my day.
Speaker 1: Forty minutes of teeth go on of teeth. Yes, we have eight hours of sleeping in forty minutes of teeth so far.
Speaker 2: Continue well, and there's very like bomb travels a lot, and so.
Speaker 1: When Bob Traveling document out, Okay.
Speaker 4: When Bok's traveling, I'm on dog duty, which means that you know, several times and taking them out, watching them, you know, take them on little locks and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: So you know, I got the dog business going on.
Speaker 3: I just don't think you're eight. I know you're a busy person. Trust me, I'm aware you are. You are like busy to the point where you need like a personal chef to be cooking for you. If you wanted home cook.
Speaker 1: Meals, go ahead, Dan.
Speaker 3: What else besides I may find It's Mary and I can find twenty minutes in our schedule. And I'm not saying we use it to cook every time. I thinking if we could find it, you could probably find it. Put it this way too.
Speaker 4: I also try to play a ton of games to talk about them for working personally.
Speaker 3: Doing Mary Mary married? Do you know Dan plays a lot of video games? Oh Mary? What do you do with your time?
Speaker 2: Do you know how much wrestling is on every week? I'm multitasking.
Speaker 3: If I am.
Speaker 4: Watching wrestling, which is maybe a couple hours a week on a non pay per view week, I'm also playing my steam deck or my Switch while I'm watching wrestling. So you know that's maybe three hours if I have been to have a Monday open, I'm without three hour act two hours now of while I'm playing steam Deck, so I'm also playing my games.
Speaker 2: Then right, yeah, oh wait wait wait wait wait.
Speaker 3: How many times you hung out with Ben Hanson in the last two weeks? Three weeks?
Speaker 2: Not at all?
Speaker 3: Okay, but you see him a lot.
Speaker 2: Right, No, I told I was to Actually no, you know what, I did have Ben and friends. I did hang on. I had them over.
Speaker 4: I had a few friends over recently. Were telling them no, and I remember telling them, this is the first time I've been able to have anyone over since like early July.
Speaker 2: I'm so busy, you ask me busy I am, I'm telling you, and I'm getting knocked you son of a bitch. All right.
Speaker 4: I run, I run, and my log runs could take two hours. I run four to five times a week. That's at least an hour every time.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: I try to meditate every day. Try to do that. That's let's put that down for like ten minutes a day.
Speaker 3: Stop meditating.
Speaker 2: No, meditating is healthier for you than broccoli.
Speaker 3: I love messing with Dan because.
Speaker 2: Doctor is its dentist, visits therapy.
Speaker 3: Get doctor Fernando on the phone, ask him how much sleep you really need?
Speaker 4: Pretty sure? Thing that sounds probably pretty smart. Give me your winter tires put on. I had to go to Costco this weekend. Constantly traveling, so I got no weekend time to do anything because I've traveled every weekend for the last four months or whatever.
Speaker 2: There's that I got. I haven't even got to the day job stuff. We got big stuff.
Speaker 4: Going on that we're planning for, like a round Game of the Year time. We got all sorts of stuff around the game Awards and Giant Bomb and night and then I'm on the BombCast every week. I'm on the Boys Moult Dump Truck every week. We do UPF, we do other streams, alter playing games.
Speaker 3: I know if our listeners.
Speaker 2: You're doing all the math there, there's not a lot of broccoli time.
Speaker 1: I'm doing all the math, and it's called eight hours of work and forty minutes of teeth.
Speaker 3: Doctor po Frind's time to go to the bar, and he's a doctor.
Speaker 4: I haven't been to a bar of Minneapolis in months. I don't think, no, I don't think. I can't remember the last time I've been at a bar in Minneapolis.
Speaker 3: Your life sounds horrible, Dan.
Speaker 2: I know it's all good. I'm just saying I don't have time for broccoli.
Speaker 1: Do you have time for broccoli?
Speaker 4: If it takes twenty five buck minutes to get it ready, I just need to throw his smuckers uncrustable in my head.
Speaker 3: Why does it take you twenty five minutes to make to what air?
Speaker 2: You gotta wait it.
Speaker 4: You put it in there for five minutes, You take it out, you toss it with the olive oil and all that gimmick, and then you got to put it in for another five minutes. So that's like you got like twenty minutes right there, and then it takes a big ass pound of bronze.
Speaker 2: It's gonna take me while eat, plus the shit I.
Speaker 3: Want to I want to. It takes you five minutes to preheat what the airfire?
Speaker 2: Let's say three minutes to preheat.
Speaker 4: That's three five minutes to put it in, dog, take it out, toss it around with all the bullshit.
Speaker 2: That takes a few minutes, and you gotta put it in another five minutes.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's thirteen minutes.
Speaker 4: Okay, thirteen minutes of making twenty two I'm a slow eater. I can't eat very fast, and a big pound of broccoli takes.
Speaker 3: A weak a year. You're gonna take just as long to eat delivered food though.
Speaker 2: No. No, for lunch, I almost always just have peanut butter sandwich.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, so you're making something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but a peanberter sandwich is like five minutes and then it takes out. It's easy to eat a peanut butter sandwich quickly too, So that's like a ten minute deal. I can sprint and do between a recording and a meeting or something like that.
Speaker 3: Then you have meeting that you probably got to go to. Yeah, you got a show, you got a plan.
Speaker 1: Then you have meeting, and then you got guests.
Speaker 3: To fill up in the car and maybe a dog to walk. Two.
Speaker 1: I've done the math. If you have seven hours of sleep, forty minutes of tea, it's a one hour dog, two hour wrestle, two hour game, eight hours work, two hours.
Speaker 2: A week, two hour wrestle a week.
Speaker 1: If that, I'm giving it to you per day, you little bit.
Speaker 3: Shut up. She's trying to help your argument in your.
Speaker 1: This is for a twenty four hour day. Okay, one hour of run ten minutes of meditating, one hour of doctor slash.
Speaker 4: Other is a medical slash mental what whatever the fuck.
Speaker 1: You want to do with it, You have a whole hour for it, and then that gives you fifty minutes of cooking and eating.
Speaker 4: Oh shit, when are supposed to play video games?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Ju factor video games and yeah play video game does.
Speaker 1: Not include the two hours of wrestling. If you combine the work, the games and the wrestling, I have given you twelve hours of garbage.
Speaker 2: Twelve hours of garbage.
Speaker 4: What yes, twelve hours you're saying free.
Speaker 1: Work, games and wrestling.
Speaker 2: So how much is broccoli time?
Speaker 1: Fifteen minutes?
Speaker 2: Fifteen fifteen fifty?
Speaker 1: But you need to eat three meals?
Speaker 4: Right, So that's the thing. You didn't factor in breakfast. You didn't factor in dinner time.
Speaker 1: Banana done, broccoli twenty minutes. There you go dinner for dinner.
Speaker 4: It takes three minutes to hook eat up all my microwave meals for dinner. So that's three minutes right there and thirty minutes to eat.
Speaker 2: Not a lot of gaming time going on here, you know, there's just a billion tell.
Speaker 1: Us you're not fucking watching wrestling while you're also eating little factor meals or your little crusties.
Speaker 2: No, I eat upstairs. We don't have a TV up there.
Speaker 1: You stare yourself in the mirror while eating uncrustable.
Speaker 4: I sit at a little table in the in the kitchen, and I eat my I have the newspaper.
Speaker 2: I look at the news.
Speaker 1: You face a wall, you little freak.
Speaker 4: No, I face the table and read the newspaper. I checked you and stuff like that when.
Speaker 3: You read the newspaper, because I thought it'd be nice to have. That's that's a that's a noble pursuit. Yeah, yeah, we'll give you that.
Speaker 1: You make time for reading a newspaper.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I'm vegetable while I'm eating.
Speaker 3: No, wait, you just told us that forever. You just told us recently that for every meal of the last few months you've been playing blatro.
Speaker 2: That also happens a lot too, is it?
Speaker 3: The newspaper is a blattro, Dan.
Speaker 2: It can be both. There's three meals a day.
Speaker 1: Let let us remind you you are under oath, Dan.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not.
Speaker 4: And then we didn't even back around the fucking fifty emails and one hundred texts and fucking slack messages and discords and bullshit. I got a new between all apps work hours.
Speaker 3: A day, between all your work.
Speaker 4: And then my dad can't figure out as Hulu because the fucking batteries died again.
Speaker 3: Oh do you want me to put.
Speaker 1: To scratch your ass?
Speaker 3: You have to tell an adult how to do adult things, Dan, I can't imagine what that must feel like.
Speaker 1: Joy putting ship time, Jesus.
Speaker 4: I'd like to have some time to have a conversation with Bianka.
Speaker 2: That'd be nice too.
Speaker 4: I'd like to pett a dog, have some time to pet a dog, maybe look at a book for a second.
Speaker 1: Why don't I take away some of your two hour hours of wrestling per day that I've granted.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't have two hours or wrestling a day by any means.
Speaker 2: You maybe two hours a week, maybe two hours a week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, time is very valuable. We do movie nights.
Speaker 4: We do a movie night every week, and that's important to have those times like we're just gonna set this aside and we're gonna watch a movie and that's good. So that's that's one night. There is lots of day specific things like that. I got physical therapy.
Speaker 1: You have time for broccoli.
Speaker 2: On a good day. Sometimes cherish those good days. I do.
Speaker 4: I cherish that broccoli that only happened once in the last two weeks. I've owned this broccoli, but it'll keep happening.
Speaker 3: That's good for you. I'm glad you're eating the broccoli once every two weeks. When I'm done with work, I just lay in the middle of the living room floor and fart for six hours. I didn't know you were doing so much stuff. That sounds amazing, meditating.
Speaker 1: It's good for you.
Speaker 3: True. So what else is up? Dan? It's new?
Speaker 2: You got an alarm clock?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, we'll save that for the game section. Okay, because he was waxing poetic about this thing at dinner the other night. I don't work. It's not a game to me. Yes, it sounded awesome.
Speaker 4: It's a Nintendo so it's a Nintendo things, So I'd say that belongs in the gaming section.
Speaker 2: I got missed in the bullshit section.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Oh this has been this hasn't bullshit been? Good? Radio?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Thanks to doctor Fernando for the beers. I don't remember getting any of those, but that's fine.
Speaker 2: This just me and Bonello.
Speaker 3: You guys want to talk about Vido games. Yeah, Dan and Mary. The holiday season is coming up, which means we should be getting ready to bring those boujelats to Thanksgiving dinner. We should get really into those hardy reds for the cold winter months. But that doesn't mean we can't get into some whites. I got an awesome Grenache blanc that I've been loving the languid Doc region recently from first Leaf. Dan, you've been using first Leave for the last couple of years. How have you liked it so far?
Speaker 2: I've loved it.
Speaker 4: I'm drinking a twenty twenty Pinot noir right now, and getting started with first Leaf was a breeze. I just answered a few quick questions about my wine preferences on their site, and they put together an amazing assortment of top notch wines just for me, gets delivered right to my door.
Speaker 1: You can bring a great bottle to your next gathering with first Leaf. Go to try first leaf dot com slash fire Escape to sign up and you will get your first six hand pick bottles for just forty four ninety five. That's try first leaf dot com slash fire Escape. Try first leaf dot com slash fire Escape.
Speaker 3: All right, Dan, everybody knows you want to talk about this alarm clock, so just go.
Speaker 4: Well, I just I'm just seating the future conversation because I just got back in town and I had my alarm oh waiting there, and so I went through the setup today. It's plugged in by my bed. You have to set up the sensor detection radius.
Speaker 2: Mary. Have you seen this thing?
Speaker 1: No, I need to see it.
Speaker 4: Nintendo made an alarm clock. It's called Alarmo and it watches you sleep and it's got a big, chunky fun button on the top. It's the most but it's like a dial for the settings and stuff and it's such a chunk fun button to hit uh.
Speaker 2: And you can set it to like shuffle.
Speaker 4: Between like twenty five thirty five different scenes from different games like Nintendo seven, like Mario's Platoon, Pickman.
Speaker 3: Uh, twenty five scenes total from games.
Speaker 4: We're gonna have downloadable ones. So yes, I had to tie my alarm clock to my Nintendo account, which is nice for alarm DLC.
Speaker 3: So the time to do this, Dan, it's my job.
Speaker 4: Three hours every couple of weeks with you assholes.
Speaker 2: I forgot to clock that.
Speaker 1: So true, we're taking we're taking a precious broccoli time.
Speaker 2: I forgot that broccoli.
Speaker 3: A Nintendo alarm could be frying a full turkey for right now. I'm not saying the stuff I do isn't stupid. It's just saying there's a lot to do. Yeah, so there's like what so like what Bowser's castle theme totterall?
Speaker 4: For instance, Like the one they showed off in the trailer was like like a Nintendo direct for a alarm clock, which is hilarious. So it's like, oh, okay, So Mario Odyssey Music is going to start playing to wake you up. So I set my alarm for seven thirty, so tomorrow will be my first morning I wake up to it. I set it all up today. So Mario Odyssey Music starts and it gets louder, and it gets louder if I don't get out of the bed because it's looking at you. And then if as you start moving in bed, it starts making sound effects, so like on the Mario scene, like as I move and toss and turn, I'll be like collecting coins. And if I wait too long, then like Bowser music starts and Bowser comes in and starts being really annoying, and it won't turn off until you like get up and get out of bed, and like there's like a splittoon one so I could wake up and if I move, it's just a bunch of inches like splat sounds until I know that, yeah, he's going to be a nightmare.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's just me. I had an alarm clock, the same one I still have it now, but I don't use the alarm there anymore, use my phone. But the noise of that alarm clock when I was younger, really, really really I associated it with, you know, getting out of bed starting the day in like middle school, in high school, and it was the worst. I don't want to resent Nintendo music for getting me out of bed. Maybe maybe it would be different as an adult if I switch to a new one.
Speaker 4: But I'm actively playing. It's like, you know, I'm not playing Odyssey right now. I'm not playing Pickman right now, Splatoon I Have'm played in forever. Like, I don't think it's going to be like, oh, I'm getting too much of this, you know, But do.
Speaker 1: You get up? Do you enjoy waking up in the morning, Because I think what Mike is saying is that you will associate music you enjoy with an experience you don't enjoy, which is like waking up.
Speaker 4: That's a time we'll tell thing because yeah, tomorrow's the first morning.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Funny would it be if you got out of Nintendo jail but then all of a sudden couldn't play Nintendo games because you hate the music?
Speaker 2: Oh sure, sure, that's.
Speaker 1: Its own jail. It's like an own like hell associate you associate Mario with like waking up, and it makes you angry, So you've completely lost your love of all Nintendo games.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's I don't know.
Speaker 4: Considering I took like careers in both fields that I love video games in wrestling, and I still love video games and wrestling, I think I might be immune to the oversaturation of the things I love.
Speaker 1: Maybe it might be the case, K does it work with Amibo's No.
Speaker 2: There's no Ambo support from my alarm clock?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the perfect Ambo opportunity to put a little Amibo on there, and it's like, okay, now we know to set your alarm to doctor Mario.
Speaker 4: That would be fun because I used to get gimmick alarm clocks in college because I was always so bad at waking up, so I had one where it was like a helicopter thing that would take off and fly around the room, and you had to catch it and put it back on the stand before we'd go off. I had one where you set a target on the wall across the room and you had to pick up a laser gun and hit the target with a laser gun before you'd get up. I got one that would roll off the counter and just go whacky, like under your bed and roll around everywhere, and you had to catch it to turn it off. I had a bunch of real bullshit alarm clocks.
Speaker 3: I don't know if these existed. There's a whole industry I was aware of.
Speaker 4: This is around the time that I was just like tasering myself to get up, like I was trying everything to get out of bed. So I'm up for a gimmick alarm clock. So this seems like a more adult way to do that than.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it seems like you progressed, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I've gotten better or waking up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wake up to the news on an alarm clock as well. Like I don't use a phone. My fear is that if I go to sleep with my phone, I'll look at the internet until I'm like literally falling asleep, which I don't like. I don't think it's a great way for me to fall asleep. So I don't have my phone in the room at all. It's downstairs on a charger, and I set a alarm clock which is called the dream machine to NPR, and I usually wake up to the morning news, which is super bland and boring and a perfect way to wake up.
Speaker 3: I like waking up. There's something very calming about the news as long as they're not talking about like nukes going off. Then it's a nice noise to wake up too. It's very jazz music.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like Mary, I think I'm of the same mind because I do the thing where I have my phone across the room from me, so I can't just like lay in bed and check the Internet or whatever the problem is. Alarm goes off, yeah you gotta get up and go turn it off. But then it's very easy to just flop back in bed and then spend twenty minutes dicking around on on your phone. So like, I want to do the same thing. I want to have the phone like two floors down and then I have to just fuck with bowser until I get up and then I can deal with my phone later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. I don't know if a big chunky button does that.
Speaker 3: What is alarmo doing to keep you from just flopping back into bed?
Speaker 4: I think Bowser starts yelling at you if you don't get out of bed because it's motion detection. So I don't know if I can, like, I'm going to test and see if the big chunky button will like there has to like there are settings you can do where it's like, oh, yeah, you can hit the button to turn it off, and I want to see if the default mode is just like, no, you have to fucking get out of bed otherwise this thing's not going to shut up.
Speaker 3: Part of me is really excited to hear more about this, and the other part of me feels like this is the premise to a Black Mirror episode.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure, yeah, it's funny exact.
Speaker 4: I'm talking optimistically about it now, But by the time this goes up on Monday, I'm sure I will have talked on like giant bumps up for personal strange about like, man, this thing's fucking annoying or I love this thing, so time will tell. I.
Speaker 1: Let's take votes. What do you think I think you will think it's annoying. I think Bank will think it's super annoying.
Speaker 4: Well, so that's the thing is Bank always gets up way before me.
Speaker 2: She gets up early, you know, runs.
Speaker 1: You know, she's like very very Can she set her alarm to it too? Will it go like whoa? And then she'll wake up and then.
Speaker 4: She No, she's not gonna do that. I don't think she could if she wanted to know. So, in fact, it doesn't really work if there's two people in the bed, which I saw people joking that like, oh, Nintendo made alarm clock that only works if you're single, but.
Speaker 3: So like if you're not, it will make you single.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if I'm gonna be if I'm setting it for seven thirty every morning, she's probably gonna be up and doing her by by that time.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 4: So by the time Bowser's coming after me, I think Bank will have started her day.
Speaker 3: So we'll see it's seven thirty, your standard wake up time.
Speaker 4: That's what I try for, But a lot of times it's like, you know, we record these later, and uh, you know, the weekends are always all over the place, and so man, it really depends.
Speaker 2: But you try for seven thirty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like a good seven o'clock. I feel like that's a good time. I enjoy playing games in the morning over coffee now more than I do late at night. But yeah, if we like tomorrow morning, for instance, I'll probably get up closer to eight or something. Sure, but yeah, I want to if you're still using alarmo by the time we're in Minneapolis, it's going to be funny to like, I'm assuming I could hear it from the other room.
Speaker 4: I should just set it up in the room that you guys are in. Yeah, I guess you guys, I'll deal with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't want to wake up to alarm up.
Speaker 2: Maybe I do inksplat sounds.
Speaker 1: I want to wake up to New Donk City. I want to hear what it sounds like.
Speaker 4: You know what, let's do that because we're getting dinner and going to the watch the Tyson fight on Friday night. I'd probably have some drinks, be up a little late. All set up a armo in the room you're in, and you can report on it during our game of the year.
Speaker 1: Thank you well.
Speaker 3: Sounds great.
Speaker 2: Just don't break any of my fingers this time.
Speaker 1: I never I have. You're not going to catch me slipping, I've never heard of.
Speaker 2: I didn't press charges.
Speaker 1: No, but you did fall someone at their wedding.
Speaker 3: And I forgot to talk about this in the bullshit section at the beginning. I went to Hawaii for the first time last week to my good friends Brad and Zoe got married in Hawaii. He's from Sydney, so that's halfway between New York and or sorry, Hawaii is halfway between New York and Sydney, so that we did a destination thing and they brought up Brad and Zoe had been here hanging out with Amanda when we started our live show, so they heard about the mac and cheese when we started the show last year. So I had to tell the story about the mac and cheese tub to a bunch of Australians and Texas that I did not know. And then it like I was trying to tell it in an adult way because we're at a wedding. But the more I went on, the more I realized how deranged the whole thing was.
Speaker 2: Imagine me having to explain it to several doctors.
Speaker 3: Yeah, these these were these were some of these people were doctors that they were mine Men of Science.
Speaker 4: Yes, so the podcast that would get it.
Speaker 3: But yeah, he gets it. But anyway, Uh, Mary, what have you been playing.
Speaker 1: I've been playing Neva, which is the It's a new game published by Devolver from the people who made Greed, which I believe was spelled g R I s and I used to say, oh, Chris, but I think that it's Greed.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: And it was a nice, beautiful game Greed, but it didn't have, in my opinion, the mechanics or gameplay that I was looking for, and I ended up kind of playing through it thinking it was fine, but not having strong memories of it and thinking it was really important or worth playing again. Never is actually quite a charming and well thought out puzzle platformer, Dan, and I think you're gonna like it Never Never.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna download it in Eva got it all right. It's on the list.
Speaker 1: So it has a very charming visual style, like Greed does. They're known for this. I mean it is stunning. It's like playing a water color. Their choice of colors, their character designs, the audio is just tremendous. It is a It is incredible what they were able to construct visually. Their art director is a genius, and I just think it's a stunning masterpiece visually.
Speaker 3: What they do.
Speaker 4: For all these pictures don't have much in the way of a hud Does the game do that? Where it's like there's a lot of stuff obscuring.
Speaker 1: The screen and there's no talkie at all, well.
Speaker 4: Not just talking, but like like hut elements like health bars and numbers. I'm not saying a lot there, So is it just like a painting.
Speaker 1: There's like nothing, there's nothing every once in a while, Okay, there is, there's some. It's very very limited. They will do stuff like saying I'm trying to like not do spoilers either, but they'll do stuff well, they'll be like uh uh. In the very beginning of the game, they'll be like, oh yeah, if you want to double you can double jump now, so hit a twice. So very simple. None of the puzzles have any visuals. There's no dialogue because it's one lady and a bunch of animals, and so the only thing that she says is never because it's the name of the animal, and so all of her dialogue is calling the animal.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: This one reminds me a bit of Treco the last Guardian. Hey, that was cool, I said, the same time, it's kind of like, uh, you're training the animal a little bit. You have to guide it, you have to tell it what to do. It helps you in combat, which is pretty cool. It helps you solve puzzles. Then, the only thing this character says is never. That's all it's said. That's all they say, never, never, never, And you just kind of like control the animal and guide along its way. But where I think it gets interesting. I think I suspect that the first hour of this game, a lot of people will be like, oh, this is just a very simple platformer. But as it progresses, there are really interesting mechanical puzzle designs that are very well thought out and again require no text. It's just visually guiding the player of what to do. And there are these more difficult platforming puzzles that are optional, and the only way that you get them is if you just see a platforming section and you're like, oh, I wonder if I could do that, and you'll noodle on it for a little bit and maybe spend ten minutes figuring it out. Once you do it, you just get to the top and there's like a little plant and it gives you a nice little audio that you made it, and that's it, and you.
Speaker 3: Don't have to do that.
Speaker 1: You don't have to do any of those. But I found the more difficult sections for platforming really fun and enjoyable. And they're little secrets. You have to look for them. You can miss them if you're not paying attention, so it's got like really good secrets. I was pretty floored by some of the puzzle design where I was like, Okay, this is difficult, but it's understandable and it is all makes sense mechanically what it's telling you to do over time. I never got stuck. I never was like totally out of my element. I figured every puzzle out within about ten minutes, which was really fun. It made me feel really smart. I was so pleasantly surprised with the puzzle platforming in this game. It's miles beyond what Greed was able to do. And I just think for people who played Degree and was like, ah, it's not really what I was looking for. You gotta try Neva because it's doing something else. And if you've never heard of those games before, just look at the trailer for Neva because it is so visually stunning. It might be what carries you to give it a purchase. It's it's it's really up there for me this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this does look really sharp.
Speaker 4: I'm definitely curious and it seems like, I mean, if there's not a lot of dialogue or anything, seems like you probably get into it pretty quick.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you're looking to google it. It's any v A.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, okay, I'm curious.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah. Because they were the studio. This is Devolver that published it. Correct, No, Mada is a Spanish studio. I remember when Greece first came out, they were talking about how they were trying to go for like a Journey meets uh, what's the Xbox platformer or ban Jo Kazui vibe like this.
Speaker 1: I think this one's closer to or Oh interesting.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 1: It's not a metroidvania, but it has or like platforming elements to it that I think are akin to it. There is a double dump dump. There is a double jump and dash. No, I don't want that associated.
Speaker 3: With it's a triple dan. You want up?
Speaker 2: You got the turkey?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I go, I gotta play this Nefa game. There's a double dump in.
Speaker 2: It double dump, double dump, damn.
Speaker 1: It, there's a double jump and.
Speaker 2: Dash, the double dump and dash, the triple d No.
Speaker 3: The old double dumping dave. It's on many of those. To a seven eleven in my day.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, double dumping dash.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah yeah, they called me the poop band, and you clog it up.
Speaker 2: And you gotta get out of there. Before anyone realized it was you.
Speaker 4: It could be anyone still on the lookout gott tektos and then ship their.
Speaker 1: Pants they know it was you.
Speaker 3: I was wearing a Bolla clava and brown underwear to ship up a seven eleven. Oh god, never sounds. I want to play it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I feel like I've sold it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know. The fact that you say this is more like or than Greece was it actually does make me want to play it because it.
Speaker 1: Even has full sections. It's like the original or if you remember, there were sections of ri where they were kind of like time based. So something's chasing you and you have to do a very you have to do it an amount of the escape jump and dashes and climbing seams parts in succession dumps and dashes. Yeah, never has sections like that, which I think is really cool. So I think it's really well made and just a beautiful experience, and so I really do recommend it. It just took I want to say, it took like thirty or forty minutes before I was like, oh, okay, this is special. So you might find that the very beginning is very simple because it is very humble origins of just you know, you can double jump up here, and you're like, yeah, I know. And I thought at first it was going to be too easy, but it gets better.
Speaker 4: I'll decide some days to do broccoli and some days to do Neva, so yeah, time, but yeah.
Speaker 1: Spend your spend your time on Neva. I approve of you giving up broccoli for today or tomorrow if you want to play Neva. Yeah, okay, good.
Speaker 3: Speaking of playing a game for forty minutes before it gets good, Dan, I'm hearing that metaphor refantasio that correctly takes like ten hours and then all of a sudden it's great. And I asked this to be clear. I asked this as someone who like Santa. Okay, I asked because Dan, I'm genuinely bonk and I we talking about this the other night and me and her share that we share a love for this kind of game. She's been trying to get me to play, not trying to get me, but recommending shin megab ten say five for a while, and I love Persona five. I'm curious about metaphor because I like this style of Atlas RPG.
Speaker 4: Okay, I've never played an Atlas game, I think, before this, and so I specifically start Yeah, but it was that night I went in with the best of intentions. Uh it was you know, Mike, you and Bank were talking about it. I've heard so many people talk about, like, oh, we got a new Game of the Year contender in town. And I was like, you know what, I am going to go into this open minded. I'm not just going to be like, Hey, this story heavy j RPG stuff isn't for me.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to like it. Everyone likes this a lot.
Speaker 4: I know, good games not every games for everyone, but it's like, I'm at least going to give this an earnest, real try. And before I started, Bonk was like, hey, make sure you you know, put like at least a couple hours into this before, because you know, it is story heavy uptop. And it was like no problem, Like two hours, I can handle that problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can do that.
Speaker 4: I was. I was on the road, so I had no U I had no obligations at home or work or any think.
Speaker 2: It was. I laid in bed with the steam deck. I was like, let's do this.
Speaker 4: The one of the very first things that happened the first time you have control over the game, and Mary, I'm curious that this sounds appealing to you. So a bunch of anime happens, and as as is want to happen in animes, You're like a fire emblem kid and there's a king and there's a bunch of swords and magic fire wands and a lot of just like, oh, I'm an evil prince, and.
Speaker 3: You're actually paying attention like you just told us you.
Speaker 2: I was looking.
Speaker 4: There was no wrestling on the background. I wasn't thinking about broccoli. I just sat there and I was paying attention to it. And then it stops and there's a scene or a screenshot where it says the person speaking is scheming man, and it says is fantasy limited to the confines of imagination? Would you call it a powerless creation? And you have to choose, like that's right or no. And I looked at that one screen and got so mad. I was like, oh, brother, this stinks, this is this is not. I can't fucking handle this. This is and I know it's not for me, So I'm not I don't want to go all dest stranding Red Dead two this game, so I'm not gonna say the game sucks. Everyone says it's a really good game. I believe them, But I almost quit right there, and I'm like, no, I got to at least get through the first couple hours.
Speaker 2: I quit.
Speaker 4: I almost quit six times before finally quitting twelve minutes in.
Speaker 1: Let me let me just stop for you for a second.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: You said, because you're a really big person, that it was very important that you got through multiple hours because it was asked of you.
Speaker 2: I thought I could do it quit.
Speaker 1: Six times, but you made it twelve minutes, and it was.
Speaker 2: It was. It was some of the toughest twelve minutes of my life.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: At no point did I feel like I was playing a video game. I controlled an fire emblement guy as he ran around and dodge, saying for thirty seconds before another cut scene about philosophy or capitalism or something started.
Speaker 3: Dan, Can I read a quote for you and then you have to guess what game it's from?
Speaker 2: Please? Oh? Is this gonna be the Is this metal Gear? Is this? Uh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm on the dumbest lines in metal Gear?
Speaker 2: Read it? Go ahead, Yeah, I's hear it. I'm a shadow. I understand why this is a hypocritic?
Speaker 3: Yes, made my point? No?
Speaker 4: No, no, okay, So I well, here's the thing. Metal Gear is about real life. I'm gonna we don't have.
Speaker 2: To wands in the real world. Mic, I'm gonna.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna the Cold War happened, man, metal Gear is teaching about history. Okay, okay, Nukes are concern. Magic is not one who's said lessons.
Speaker 3: About the real world.
Speaker 2: The other is nonsense.
Speaker 3: Nukes are concerned would be a really good soundboy bite. Yes, I will say even Persona five, like one of my favorite games, took and Again, I'm the first person to say if a game takes ten hours to get good, it's probably a bad game.
Speaker 2: I've never had patience for that.
Speaker 3: I most at LISS games I've played d truly, you know, to people's points get much better when they get out of their own way and let you actually go back to the home base, like, talk to your party, improve a relationship, and then go back into a palace and do the heist, do turn based combat, maybe merge a few Persona like once they actually get out of their own way, let the systems actually kind of you're having fun for a while. I think they're great. However, I've also never played a Persona game. Persona four is intro is relatively short compared to other ones I played. I wish they would get out of their own way sooner.
Speaker 4: But I think one of the reasons I don't. One of the reasons I thought this might work better for me than like a Persona is.
Speaker 2: Persona's about fucking.
Speaker 4: Like high school kids, like in their problems, and I could not give less of a shit. I thought if metaphor was actually about like big you know, kingdom concerning things and kings and queens, stuff, I thought would at least better than diff hits in high school.
Speaker 3: Okay, but Persona is about high schoolers. However, as you go into the game, it becomes more and more about like nation, like Japanese government, and like suicide conspiracies. It's not about high school really, they're just high schoolers who are pulled into bigger situations, which is more real than all the kings and queens stuff we just talked about.
Speaker 4: But look, if I don't love kings and queens and fantasy stuff and swords and all that. Yeah, but like I would take that over high schoolers any day, like cause I don't know, I just what could possibly be interesting about that versus like at least like I like Game of Thrones, that was fantasy and that's school. I like Zelda just because it doesn't talk too much like it. I can like things with swords and magic, it just can't fucking talk all the time or be stupid like Lord of the Rings.
Speaker 2: And so I was willing to give this a shot, but it's just like, oh man, it was.
Speaker 4: It's a brutal, brutal start, and I could not do it. It's probably a good game, probably good twelve minutes, though, Yeah, I mean my tolerant for that horseship is unbelievably low. Is fantasy limited to the confines of imagination? Would you call it a powerless creation? I'll put it to the panel. What do you guys think?
Speaker 2: You've got it all wrong?
Speaker 3: You are the lightning in that rain, you could still shine through the darkness. I'm a shadow, one that no light will shine on. As long as you follow me, you'll never see the day. Is that metal year? Yeah, that's great Fox, it's a conversation between riding and raidin and snake. Wait you are Yeah, let's just say tell me some cool metal her life so you'll know this one. This one, I'm actually not convinced, is dumb. You are above even the boss. Okay, hereby awards you the title of big Boss.
Speaker 2: You know who says that, Lyndon B. Johnson, Yeah, alive.
Speaker 1: Even your dogs.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I guess now this is pretty funny. Actually too, I guess that would be a good time to mention that my father killed himself because I slept with my stepmother.
Speaker 4: Oh that sounds like somemodicon shit. Yeah yeah, okay, that guy sucks so famous lighting in that raign it's you know, I'm just teasing you. I also, I've had to fight.
Speaker 3: Through the beginning of many an Atlas game and then all of a sudden I get too games. I love so again, I'm kind of being a hypocrite by saying if you have to fight through several bad hours, then the game's probably not that good. I stand by that from a philosophical standpoint, but I also will be the first to admit that I love games that start terribly sometimes.
Speaker 4: I mean even games though that are more in genres that I'm prone to liking. Like it's one of the reasons I never liked Assassin's Creed is like I remember people talked up Brotherhood and some people like were like, oh, check out three, the setting school or whatever. I remember giving Brotherhood and three a shot and being like, it's five fucking hours in and I don't even have my cloak. I'm not even jumping off of buildings and stabbing people yet, Like, I don't give a fuck about Desmond or whatever. Don't make me do this stuff for hours before I do the cool Assassin stuff. It's like and every Assassin's Create to me was like that, just like a bunch of boring ass story before you do the cool stuff.
Speaker 3: You want to just skip the four play.
Speaker 2: I just want to play a video game at the end of the day. That's it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And like if I don't feel like I'm playing a video game, I'm gonna hate it. And I played twelve minutes of this, and I didn't feel like I understand it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's the whole point of it is to like have agency, and I feel like in a lot of these ways, when they start with too much story, it's like, now I'm not here to watch a full length feature film. That would be great and that's lovely if you can convince me that there is a film worth of value in here. The Last of Us does such a good job of having a cinematic intro. But I am in control, right, I am running around, I am trying to save my daughter, I am driving, I am dealing with a lot of zombie situation. But it also pulls me into an incredible story. I feel like there's just some of this that can be lost when it's just like dialogue, heavy dialogue, so much story, and ultimately I'm like, but what am I doing here? Why am I playing this?
Speaker 3: Half life too? Still one of the best intros to any video game ever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, or even like little things like you know, like BioShock was good about like oh, you could walk around while listening to the audio logue, so it's like, okay, you're getting in kind of the flavor details and stuff about rapture while you're like going around searching through trash cans getting shit and you know, looking for collectibles. It's I want to feel like I'm playing a video game pretty much at all times. Yeah, and let's MIDDLEGEG gets the pass for everything.
Speaker 3: Speaking of yeah, a few episodes ago, I had said I was getting back into Diablo Ford to see how it's doing. And now Vessel of Hatred, the big expansion, is out. So I've been playing the new character class, the spirit Born, and I've been trying out the new campaign area recruiting some new Mercenary AI companions. First off, spirit Born class is extremely fun.
Speaker 4: You've been talking about this at dinner the other night. That actually made me half interested in you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, even if you're not playing the new class and you don't have Vessel of Hatred, I think the game's in a much much better spot than it was last year. Again, I talked about this a few episodes ago, but in general, I think the loot is more rewarding. I think the pacing is better for leveling up and crafting your abilities and just crafting in general, getting better items for your specific character. The spirit Born specifically, I would describe it as a mix of the Monk from Diabolo three and as Unfortunate and you know all the tropes at trafficked in was the witch Doctor from It's like they took the witch Doctor and made it not offensive and they combined it with the monk. So you are basically this Your weapons are all spears or glaves or bostaffs, and then got the armor designed for this character is so fucking cool. I'm trying to think of like a movie it compares to, but you know, like they come out of like the jungle biome so covered in awesome tattoos. They get really cool weapons, but most of their attacks are like quick punch like hand to hand like even the monk from Ballersgate three kind of class but combined with I'm doing the the poison build. Basically everything I do is either leaving a trail of poison behind me, applying poison to one enemy and when they die, a swarm of flies will go to other enemies nearby. My if people punch me, they get poison, So I'm doing a lot of thorns, which is the effect again when you get hit, they take damage, but now it applies poison. They're a very fun class, and they're also pretty nuanced. Like I spent twenty minutes looking through the skill tree the other day just seeing different potential classes, because it's it's one of those things where you like, I put all of my abilities right now into the green the Centipede skills they're called, So I'm going really heavy on poison, but of course you can mix and match if you wanted to. At a certain point, you do this hunt side quest to unlock the passive ability, and then the pass ability you pick from like the Spirit of the Gorilla, the Spirit of the Skyhawk, the Spirit of the Centipede, and this spirit there's one animal I missing, But those give you specific passives that can either it'll say like, oh, anytime you use a centipede style attack, you'll do this effect, or anytime you use a gorilla style effect, you'll get this buff. Secondarily, that passive will also make every single attack you do a gorilla style. So basically the passive is just saying like you're choosing the style of martial art that is inspired by the spirit from the jungle. But the really cool, well rounded class and they're also they've got that quick snappiness that the monk had in Diablo three, which is my favorite class. Like if you go to punch someone from far away, it'll warp you to them and you'll just do like three quick jabs their chest. It's really satisfying. I'm playing on PS five and it's it's just feels great on controller. My ultimate again, I just summon this giant centipede who shoots out poison globes when he first comes out and then starts thrashing around in the middle of the battle.
Speaker 1: Are there anything that poison doesn't poison? Is it weak against anything?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think there are certain enemies with resistance to it. I don't know exactly what it is. I'm not that well versed in the game, but I think there are certain like areas where the enemies have a proclivity for like antidote or whatever it is. But yeah, the armor, all the new armor sets, like each piece of armor I get just looks awesome on this character. And that's not again. I played the Necromancer recently when I went back to the game, and those all look great. Like that game is just in a like Diablo three esque state, and Diablo three was a game I played a lot. This game is still not as cartoonishly fast paced as three was, but it still feels great and it feels like they got away. The storytelling is still pretty, you know, goth and macabre, and it feels like, I don't know, I'm not fourteen anymore, so I'm don't really I'm not like craving that Diablo two kind of horror that they were going for, But it feels like they're with this expansion of the storytelling, they've kind of gotten away from that in a good way in my opinion. The environments are really cool looking in the new Jungle area, and they've got there's another thing where you basically can recruit these AI mercenaries who then act as your companions, which is really nice to be playing solo. I've not played co op yet. I actually don't know if if you play co op, can you each bring one of these mercenaries in? But you know, there's one that's like a tank mercenary. He's a one armed blacksmith who can you know, taunt enemies and then draw attention away from you. There's another one who's a like reformed cannibal, and she's very much like their despicable character, or like she is despicable character, but like she's useful in a fight. Yeah, I'm having a blast with it. It's it is a full fledge expansion. It reminds me of maybe not quite the scale of Reaper of Souls with D three, but in terms of something that introduces a new character class, a new area, which if you have the expansion and you start a new character class, as long as you've beaten the campaign in the if you start any new character class, you can just skip the campaign. You'll go right into the open world. You'll have the new Jungle area. It's available. It's just down in the southwest of the map. You can explore it leisure, rank up, do all the side activities, get new armor at a pretty rapid pace. It's a they've They're starting to figure that game out really well, and I'm enjoying it.
Speaker 4: I keep wanting to, like, once I have a good tounk of time between games, I want to play that because that came out when I was in the middle of moving and so I just never really got a chance to play it because I thought i'd be able play it on Steam Deck. But if you have to always have a connection with that one, so like it's not good for planes and things like that, so I was frequently enable to play it. So it feels like now, anytime after now, it would probably be a great time to jump in.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I mean, even if you don't play the spirit Born, play the Rogue, play the Necromancer, what have you. When the game first launched, I tried it and I bounced off, like I did not enjoy at all. It missed those power jumps that made earlier Diablos, but especially three, really satisfying for me. You'd get that one armor piece and all of a sudden, you're one hitting enemies that you were just taking ten hits previously to kill. Or oh, all of a sudden, your attacks are leaving this trail of fire all over the map as you sprint around, so there's more of that now your character. It's still challenging, especially if you play on like, if you find the right difficulty level, it can be challenging, and a lot of these bosses do force you to really switch up your uh. I mean, you're still rotating your spells in a similar way, but like, oh, I actually have to use potions that sprint away from this dude, and all of a sudden. Now I'm running away from people because they're too powerful, and that poison trail effect is useful because they're chasing me while I'm healing, but they're getting poisoned behind me. So then I go back to them and all of a sudden, I'm doing more damage. Yeah, I'm having a blast with it. It's still a very you know, passive experience as far as video games go. But and yeah, it's definitely tickling the lizard brain kind of game design. But right now it's I'm really joying it.
Speaker 2: Sometimes that's fun and welcome. Yeah, one of those.
Speaker 3: It's what I want when things are crazy, and that's like I have, you know, an hour to play a game or something like, yeah, sure I'll get that fucking sweet new grave that does fire damage and then I'll do poison damage alongside it.
Speaker 2: Sometimes that's just the right type of game.
Speaker 4: I was on a plane today for a few hours and I was like, Okay, I'm gonna you know, I got all these you have fifty games to play and these other ones to check out, and it's like I just play Blattro the whole time again. So like, sometimes you just want to like brain completely off play something very comfortable.
Speaker 3: You know, I'd started a new Stardoo Valley farm on the way to and from Hawaii.
Speaker 1: Now, I was gonna say, what did you do on the plane ride, because that's such a long travel experience.
Speaker 3: You got to have something recent flights, I've gone just to Vampire Survivors or Bilottro. But yeah, the Starduo Valley. The farm's not super far along. I have sprinklers and everything doing their shit now. But I just did the base map. I know there's a bunch like the islands and the river map. I want to try those, but every time I go back, I'm like, I kind of just want to mess with the base map again and go meet the townsfolk and do that shit. Yeah. Outside of that, I watched what movie did I watch?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: I watched I've rewatched Once upon a Time in Hollywood. I watched it for the second time. I don't know, this is probably not a cool movie to like, but I've really fucking enjoyed that.
Speaker 2: Generally liked it. I was mixed on it. It wasn't like my favorite and it wasn't my least favorite. Is stuff. You know, I thought you had moments?
Speaker 3: Did you watch it? Once. I'm curious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just once in the theater I watched I saw in theaters.
Speaker 3: I was like, Okay, that was fine, Like I don't think it was as arduous to watch as Hateful Eight. Also like a movie I still think is too long, And.
Speaker 4: That's the only one I haven't seen his, And I'm still curious even though I hear it's not great that that movie.
Speaker 3: I guess if it's gonna have a fighting chance, you've got to be like settled in on a winter night with a big glass of whiskey and wine.
Speaker 1: I saw that in theaters and was like, it just keeps going.
Speaker 3: It was an intermission. The ending was real weird. But once upon a time in Hollywood, I don't remember being this funny. Like I was laughing pretty hard on the plane, and it takes I mean, I think it takes a lot to get anybody to laugh hard when they're watching something by themselves. Amanda was watching it with me, Like some of the lines that Leo delivers were and Leo's really good at those, Like like Wolf of Wall Street, he has a bunch of those lines where he just says something really fucking stupid. Yeah, but I give that movie another chance. If you just don't have anything to watch and you have fucking three hours to kill, watch that movie again.
Speaker 2: Did you rewatch anything else? Mike?
Speaker 3: Uh? Yeah, what was it? My wife watched the movie she had never seen before. I'm trying to remember what it was. Oh right, the best movie ever made. Amanda finally saw Mgruber and fucking lost her shit like that. Yeah, because we talked a last episode like that's kind of a litmus test. I'm like, I've never I've talked about it, you know, add nauseum to Amanda. But uh yeah, on Friday night, we were we did like nothing the weekend before Hawaii because you know, we're getting ready to travel, and I said, uh, we've been wanting to watch Dunkirk. It's just like the one Nolan movie she hasn't seen. So we're like, we could watch Dunkirk. It's kind of an anxiety attack for two hours, but you know, we can watch it. It's really well made. I think it's actually one of his best movies. Or we could finally watch Macgroober. She's like, Okay, you know what.
Speaker 4: Which one of Christopher Nolan's favorite movies. I'm not kidding, is it really, he has said in interview, is how much he loves mcgoober.
Speaker 3: Yes, so it's we start watching it, and you know, you could tell. I could tell. She was immediately like locked into the humor good even the song.
Speaker 1: You have to be in the right mindset because it's so stupid. It's so utterly stupid.
Speaker 3: She was aware of the SNL skits right, however, she did not know it was like The Lonely Island Crew basically minus Andy. It was a lot of.
Speaker 4: People assume it's like a Badass and L movie that is based on the like kind of one note sketch. They don't realize it's a Lonely Island action parody. And it's like if you like pop Star or like hot Rod, it's like better than both of those, I think.
Speaker 3: And she and I watched Palm Springs like twice a year still, and she's like, oh, I didn't know it was like drama and I forget so the third one sorry. So you know, like immediately A stormed the songs like we made a fucking movie. She was all right, that's pretty funny. Yeah, And then as soon as he blew them all up with C four, he's like tug tug the fuck. I hate him, but I love him at one point, and I actually know I know the point. It was when he was walking into the club with his radio, in his white suit and the blonde hair and the sunglasses. She's like, are we supposed to think he's kind of hot?
Speaker 2: No? I was like, all right, that's hot, that's right before he takes an upper decker.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And he goes up to the bartender. He's like, i'd like an X five. Don't know what you're talking about. He slams his face in the bar. He's like, he didn't know anything.
Speaker 4: And weird calling that waiter handsome, that guy I know they're mar why don't you abandon the mission? And why don't you marry him?
Speaker 3: And then he points out like objectively not great looking dudes.
Speaker 2: Like go interview him, go watch him. That guy, not that guy.
Speaker 3: But no, I don't. I legitimately, I don't think I've heard my wife in the entire time we've known each other laugh as hard as she did when Because it's a one two punch. If you're a fan of Top Gun, the sex scene is a one two punch because first, after you know, you get in the rhythm. She loves Roadhouse too, so the throat ripping was like hell yeah, right up her ally as well. When the take These Broken Wings starts to play, you're like, oh, they're doing Amasa top Gun. Great, this movie's even better. And then she starts fingering his belly button. This is hilarious, and then the music cuts and he's just hard yeah hard cut to him, just like feral humping, while Kristin Wig is clearly laughing but trying to cut heard up And I've never heard my wife laugh like harder in her life. And of course, like the more the scene goes on, the harder.
Speaker 1: You laugh because it's so awkward.
Speaker 3: Sorry, it's not on one two punch, because the upper cut comes when the same exact thing happens with the ghost of his dead wife on her tombstone.
Speaker 2: Wow. Wow, I don't.
Speaker 1: Really described this film very accurately.
Speaker 3: Nothing I said just now was exaggeration. If anything, I've played some of it down. And also Amanda's like super into anything, uh with val Kilmer. So also she said the same exact thing that I think our favorite thing about the movie is it's like there's not a single cast member that's not fully on board with the humor and understands the assignment, you know, like, yes, Val Kilimer powers booth, Ryan Philip Well, Kristen Wig obviously would be.
Speaker 1: But likes carries a lot of that for.
Speaker 3: Sure, but like you expect her to. Whereas like Ryan Philippie comes in here, like why is he this funny and why is he on board with putting Celery in his ass in this scene?
Speaker 1: He just says he's an actor.
Speaker 3: I still the two I'll shut up in a second, but I still.
Speaker 1: Think haven't we discussed detail?
Speaker 3: I still think are I might be butchering it. But he says you better, we better dig a ditch out back for all the dead bodies just gonna get pretty smelly in there, And then Ryan Philippine says, that's a really gross way to put it.
Speaker 4: It's a very funny line, but also I'll suck as many throats, but just so fucking stupid.
Speaker 3: When Val Kilmer and his henchman come up to the nuclear warhead and he's looking up at it and he's like, have you ever been to d C? And his henchman's like no, He's like, I was talking to the missile. Uh yeah, but I figured a man like yeah, but like I didn't think she got harder than I did the first time.
Speaker 2: Well, godspeed, We're watch it again this weekend.
Speaker 3: She doesn't know it yet, but good watch it again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the second viewing is the real judgment.
Speaker 2: There's it does get better.
Speaker 3: We were just saying this the other night, like there are some jokes in that movie that are funnier when you're expecting them, Like of course, when the sex scene comes out of nowhere for the first time, it's just shock, and from there it becomes hilarious. But there's someone you're anticipating you also burst out laughing. Mary, what else you've been playing?
Speaker 1: I played Astrobot finally. Yeah, Dan was hyping it up. It is very good. It is so imaginative, and there's probably not too much more I can add that. I don't think you haven't said about how I mean, it's obviously an extraordinarily well executed game. There's so many more elaborate worlds in this one is just longer and more enjoy than the last Astrobot that I played. So it's really fun, especially when you get a Astrobot, and it's because there's I think seven per level that you're rescuing, and if you miss one, they're in the order that you should be collecting them in. So if I miss one, I can always go back and find it, which is really nice in a lot of those levels. So it's a nice Yeah, it's so nice for collectors to just be like, Okay, I got them all. Now I can enjoy the level. The little dances. The amount of polish in this game is unreal. I do actually have a gripe with it. I think that the boss fights are mid really yeah, I think they are. I think they are. They are okay, And I'm not saying it's like bad. I'm saying this game is phenomenal. But I was told ten, and I think that the bosses are like an eight.
Speaker 4: That's okay. I disagree, but uh, you know, to each throne with me. I just thought that like they're a little.
Speaker 1: Easy maybe for like little baby children.
Speaker 2: They're not super hard.
Speaker 1: Baby baby ass baby.
Speaker 4: Mode speed Run launches this weekend. That's when that's when the real big boys come out to play.
Speaker 3: Who's the Who's the Giant bomb? That's really good?
Speaker 2: That's me.
Speaker 4: Cub just keeping were no, we're already talking about it. Where it starts now.
Speaker 1: I think I saw a clip from the leaderboards when Chef.
Speaker 3: Crub in broccoli to think about though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's so good at eating broccoli too. I think that's another thing.
Speaker 4: That Hey, look, we're both gonna go back and forth. He's gonna have times where he beats my time. Mike Manatti is gonna try out astro speed running for the first time. I'm excited to see nobody's.
Speaker 1: Worried about man we're talking about.
Speaker 4: He's done this before. He's out of his league. He's not a speed runner, so, okay, dumb questions.
Speaker 1: Throwing MANAATEI in there is fodder. Yeah, you could probably meet Manti.
Speaker 4: He thinks he can step in with the big boys. He's never done speed running a basketball.
Speaker 3: A lot of people think I'm a good speed runner. Won't say who, but there's many.
Speaker 2: People are saying I'm the best. Many people they all agree.
Speaker 3: Okay, dumb question. Though, speed running mode I'm assuming would have nothing to do with the bots. You just get through the level as quickly, right.
Speaker 4: And the way they're doing it is. I love that they are doing it smarter than fucking Nintendo did with their speed run specific game that didn't even have fucking leader boards. It is going to be five levels, and it seems like I didn't know they were going to do it this way. It seems like they're going to purse them out because the first one comes out as of this recording any hour now. I mean by the time we're done, I might be able to load it up.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 4: If they're doing one a week for five weeks, I think that'd be smart. And I think I love that idea of just having like a week to fixate on one level and try to really hammer that one down instead of like, oh, I'm gonna kind of cherry pick and do this level or this one. There's five at once to choose from, so I think I'm just gonna obsess over them one week at a time, and uh yeah, it's going to be a fucking blast. I think in World per week, it's not World, so it's it's decade speed Run levels.
Speaker 3: Oh, they're new levels.
Speaker 4: My understanding is that it's no specific levels. I don't know if they're gonna be that long, because like the ones that were in the speed Roun levels in the playroom were not super long. They were just incredibly tight, you know, so I'm expecting more of that, hoping for more of that because it was fucking incredible in the last one. So I think this is really smart. I think I'm going to get dangerously into this ship, so that's going to be great.
Speaker 3: Mary, how far ish would you say you're into it?
Speaker 1: I'm about yeah, two hundred and forty. I've completed every planet. Yeah, and I've completed the PlayStation.
Speaker 2: Got it? Okay?
Speaker 3: Can I put you on the spot and fuse it? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean, I think it's really very good. And the only negative I really had was that I thought the boss fights were a little like an afterthought considering how thoughtful these games are, so I would say it's a nine. It's very good.
Speaker 4: I loved the boss stuff where it's like they would typically utilize whatever the gimmick of the level was, so it's like, oh, this octopus, you got to make sure you're using the gloves to kind of pull on his eyes and beat him up and stuff, and then like in between the phase would be like a level part where like the waves go down and you have this platforming section and grappling section before you go beat them up again. Like I loved it, I guess. I guess it didn't work as much for you, but I don't know. I thought they looked amazing. They were all huge and awesome.
Speaker 1: They look amazing. I think that the first three bosses, I was like, that's it, Like they were just so simple, like, you know, just one and done. I felt like they were The combat in general of this game is very simple, right, You just punch them and they fly off the screen and explode. Like. It's not a very complicated game, and that's fine. Not every game has to be difficult in order to be good. So I think the dificulty level is like really low in this game. I think even Mario bosses like tests you a little bit more with how it attacks and things like that. I thought that some of the bosses were just straight up like I just thought that I was burning through them. I couldn't believe that they didn't make them a little bit more challenging for the player.
Speaker 4: I think the most challenging stuff in Astrobot is those like PlayStation button levels, like the you know, the cross, the square of the triangle, like the it was just kind of linear ones were did you do the lava one?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean I.
Speaker 1: Like the ones that were featured as well. I will say there were times when it was mimicking a game.
Speaker 3: Like Escape.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Oh so cute when they were like, we're playing homage to a game and that is the most important thing. God of War. It was so cute. They even had like you know I'm talking about like they had the giant thing that you lift with your strong hands to get the item inside, and they made it feel so heavy even though you're astrobot and so he's like and this giant stone device is opening for you. I mean that is just so again, so much detail and so much care just to be like it's kind of like Got a War. You know.
Speaker 4: It's just so sweet where you have to like slowly go into the crevice and stuff and you're collecting the crows and stuff. Like, Yeah, they pay homage to a bunch of great games and also Horizon zero don.
Speaker 1: Yes, And also this is a nice little dick uh Drake Drake's Fortunes. They had a couple a nice little homage Dad as well, Like they had an explosion scene where like you you shoot something, you get a gun in that level, which is so crazy att Yeah, and you're like you're shooting everybody and everything's exploding and cars are swinging around. It's really fun, like they've they did so much effort with that type of thing.
Speaker 2: Much love went into this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do.
Speaker 1: I do think it's a It's a fantastic game. There's no question that it's a very well made game, and I super recommend it for people. I did. I had a bit of a sticker shock I shouldn't have, but like at the sixty dollars price mark, I was like, all right, well this better be like a really good experience, and I do think it's worth the sixty dollars, Like I just I think it is.
Speaker 4: Especially if we want to do the three hundred bots and then if you get into the speed run stuff, like there's definitely like a lot there, Like I'll play through this whole game again for sure. I just there's just so much joy every moment I was playing it. So but no, I see what we're saying. It's not a difficult game, even to like one hundred percent. I don't think it's particularly difficult outside of a few of those linear, like smaller levels, And you compare it to Mario, like I think Mario does a better job of Like, Okay, if you just want to beat it, it's going to be easy enough. But also if you want to get like all this shit you're going to go through, so you want to get all of it, you get crazy ass levels. Yeah, like, yeah, Mario has more there if you really want to challenge yourself. But in terms of just like pure joy and exploration, you know, I put this up with the best of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is joyous, there's no question it's it's so it's it's like colorful and sweet and cute, and there's fills of surprises and they do their little dances. Ah, it's a very sweet little game. So yeah, I've I've loved it. I've enjoyed it. I'll also say when the original Astrobot came out, my parents were visiting me and they always want to know a little bit about my work, which is very nice. And it's hard to put on a game that your parents can play or understand. And I put on an Astrobot, the VR one or the original one, and the well, not the original one, because I think the original one was ps like a device.
Speaker 4: Yeah, anyway, the playroom thing technically, but then it was like as far as the platformers, it was the VR Rescue Mission, and then it was Playroom, the one that came with the PS five.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the Playroom, and my parents actually could play Playroom and like pick it up and understand it. I think that this is the same type of game, whereas like if I had a six year old that was visiting me, or if I had a parent that like isn't much of into understanding games, I could give them a controller and be like, just punch stuff. They will figure it out and they will enjoy that experience. And I think that's meaningful for people to be able to give them a game and let them explore and play and have a good time. So I think it's a universal game. But for someone looking for a hefty challenge, I think it's it left a little to be desired. Yeah that's fair, so easy good for Dan, but not not for me.
Speaker 2: I'm a speed runner records.
Speaker 1: Well then win, you can't win, just.
Speaker 2: Fucking I will drive around to no easy way out.
Speaker 3: Oh dude, you want to do like a promo video where I'm at the top of the stairs with an Adrian wagon, be like can.
Speaker 2: Your dresses ag?
Speaker 1: You can't beat him?
Speaker 4: I'm just saying flashes of grub as I'm driving around my Super U.
Speaker 3: It just keeps coming back to me at the top of the stairs.
Speaker 4: Ah KFPR three nine two license plate instead of South Paw.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Uh. Playroom was the game that I was playing in the lounge at game Spot when Dan put a permanent marker in front of my face. So when I leaned forward.
Speaker 2: Rescue Mission it was the VR one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, rescue mission, Yeah, rescue Mission, And so I got permanent marker on my face because he put it in front of me, so I leaned into it. While I was playing this VR game, real playing Mario Party Jamboree, I did. I did.
Speaker 4: It's I've reviewed it for GameSpot dot com. I don't know if you two are familiar with that website, but you should look up my review. I've been doing writing for game Spot and I've really been enjoying it to bring me back to my roots. You know, did the Nintena Museum article, did the Middle of your Solid Delta preview? And now I first review in a long time, it's Jamboree. I'm actually on the very low end if you look like the Metacritic and stuff of this. I've even seen in the YouTube comments that this reviewer must not like Mario Party or must not friends to play with. And I love seeing people being like, oh, this guy obviously has it out for Mario Party, doesn't like Mario Party.
Speaker 2: Now, I've got high standards for Mario Party.
Speaker 4: It's always a weird series to review, and I've been reviewing them since the GameCube ones because a lot of times you have to play a lot of solo Mario Party, which even for me is awful.
Speaker 2: The idea of playing Mario.
Speaker 4: Party solo is just it's like all the falts are laid bare, all the like, you know just how long it takes to go around the board, and just everything's so laborious and random bullshit and all that stuff. Like it's just like all the good parts of Mario Party and the chaos and fucking your friends over and laughing and stuff like that is gone. And you just are like, oh God, this is what I've been playing. But then something magic happens when you get some friends together. So like, I didn't love this, I liked this. I like Mario Party, jan Boree, but as of this recording tomorrow, I'm getting grub and Minatti and Bailey, and we're gonna do like a three or four hours stream of playing this and drink beers and stuff, and I'm sure it's gonna be a fucking blast, but I stand by my complaints. They really touted like this is the biggest Mario Party ever, It's got twenty two characters, it's got one hundred and twelve mini games, most mini games ever. But like, as I played it, I was like the party mode, I was like, why do these keep seeing a bunch of repeats? And then I realized, like, oh shit, like almost half of that one hundred and twelve is tied up in other modes. Like there's a lot of bloat in this. There's a lot of modes for like here's like a single player thing, here's a two player like flying mode and stuff. Here's this like cooking minigame thing, and here's all these online modes that you may or may not play, and a lot of the games are exclusive to those.
Speaker 1: So it's like, oh, the games are exclusive to the mode that you're playing, So you're actually not getting one hundred and twenty games for.
Speaker 3: The actual games you play every mode, some of which are but that thing is like I played all those modes a lot while I was reviewing it, and like, I just don't see myself going back to any of these.
Speaker 4: Maybe all dabble with more of the online stuff once it's actually like out, but everyone just wants to play the main party mode. That's what Mario Party is, and it's kind of some of the most just like wrote mini games are in the party mode. A lot of them are just kind of really slow paced and laborious. And I know random chance has always been a big part of Mario Party, but like a lot of them lean on it in this one, and it's it's just a bummer because I think there was almost it seems like there was more priority put into like putting a little something for everyone, regardless of if you're solo or have one person over versus the four player mode. And it's like, man, I just wish they would have focused on the four player mode, because like the maps are good, and it's the best original maps they've had since at least the GameCube era, because like nine and ten were those weird we and WEU ones where you're all going in the same car, you know, Super Mario Parties maps were bad. Mario Party Superstars were great maps, but they were all like greatest hits from the sixty four era. So like, man, like some of these maps, like this mall map and this raceway map and stuff like, they're really solid, clever maps. But when a lot of mini games aren't really up to snuff, especially coming off of Mario Party Superstars, that was a greatest hits of Mario Party. So it's like you've got all the best most fun minigames from like ten plus Mario Party games. Now all of a sudden, here's a bunch of original ones that aren't that great. There are some really good ones, but for the most part, they're like kind of mid to low tier. I don't know, it's just I have a feeling I'm gonna now that it's new, I'll play a few rounds with you know, I'll play it this holiday with my family. I'll play I'll do a couple of streams with it with Giant Bomb and stuff like that. But like, I think after this winter, I'll probably just be going back to Superstars. Like I think that's the maybe the best Mario Party ever. So I don't know, there's a lot, a lot of a lot of complaints, uh summer nippicky. Some I think are more substantial, but overall it's not exactly what I wanted, and stuff like the twenty player online mode is kind of not what I think some people wanted. Uh it's it's not a twenty player Mario party game. It's a separate mode that's just not gonna get a lot of replay value, I think.
Speaker 2: So what is it.
Speaker 4: It's like, so there's like a racetrack and there's just one track basically with like a bunch of spots on it, and you play these mini games against you know, nineteen other people or bots, and every coin you get you advance a space and you have to finish like a certain number of laps to win. And the thing is, though, it just repeats a lot of these mini games and they're kind of longer, and some of them aren't great. So it's like, oh, here's this like claw machine type thing where it's like all you do is hit a to like move your finger forward to scoot stuff off the edge, and you have to do that for a while to get coins, and it takes a while, and then like it'll go through two other minigames and you're right back to that one. So you might do that three four times, and it's not really fun the first time. So every time these kind of pull up like, oh man, I got to do this for another fucking however long.
Speaker 2: So it's not super exciting.
Speaker 4: It's not like you're going around along you know, board game thing and doing all the mini games. It's like specific mini games that are maybe not the most exciting that.
Speaker 3: Struck me as their take on something like Fall Guy, Like the tournament kind of format, is that fair at all?
Speaker 4: Yeah, in fact, the Bowser levels in that because it usually does like too many games, and then like a Bowser stage that is like an eliminator type thing. So it's like, okay, all twenty of you are running away from Bowser and Bowser's destroying the floor and you're falling down. You're trying to survive, and it's very kind of Fall Guys. And I said in the review, like there is really a place for Mario Party to incorporate stuff from, like you know, inspired by Fall Guys or the Battle Royale genre or these more like larger multiplayer modes. I think that'd be a really cool thing to introduce to Mario Party. But this one it just kind of feels half baked. And a lot of these mini games are just not very exciting, so I can't see.
Speaker 2: Myself I want.
Speaker 1: They probably don't get the time for the quality of them. Now there's a question. I know we don't usually read comments on reviews, but Dashness asks, but what's the rating if you're six years old? And I think that's a really good question for your review.
Speaker 4: I think if you're six years old, six years old or forty, I think Mario Party Superstars is the better option.
Speaker 1: You think that they would give it a thick out of ten.
Speaker 2: I think they would give it a thick out of That's hard to do.
Speaker 3: He doesn't like Male Patty. Why's he viewing it?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I loved I heard people say, I'm just saying that Nintendo, and yeah, I just don't have friends to play with, so you always got to work on that. Yeah yeah, but no, I like it. I'll play plenty of it. It just uh yeah, Super Serves is a lot better.
Speaker 3: Okay, good to know, Mary Slay. The Princess sounds very familiar e from last year when it's like a weird, like graphic novel, black and white kind of thing.
Speaker 1: It is I played Slay the Princess because it is Halloween season and I like to play scary games this time of year, so I was going to play a different game, and my chat I was streaming was like, Oh, you really should try Slay the Princess if you've never played it before, and I was like, yeah, you know what, I'm just gonna do it right now. So I downloaded it and I played it on stream. I beat it on so I want to say it's about three and a half hours to complete. This is That was my experience. I think could be different based on how you play it.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: For a graphic novel, which I do not like nor play, I thought this was very good, but I have to say, like I just don't care for graphic novels. The thing that made this function for me is that you don't have to read. They have really good voice actors that are saying all the dialogue. So while it's text heavy, there's good voice actors reading the dialogue to you, so you feel like you can get away with it. Also, the narrator is a part, is a character in the story. What's that other game that does that where the narrator is telling you like go Yeah, no, not Bashi Stanley parable. It's got Stanley parable to Goog going on.
Speaker 3: That's my second guess.
Speaker 1: It's got that going on where it's like the game is called Stab Slay the Princess, Stab the Princess, Slay the Princess, and the narrator when you start the game, this isn't a spoiler like, this is like the game concept is like as you start the game, the narrator's like, and so you've started on a pathway and you are going to go to a cabin and slay the princess. So on you go, and then you kind of decide for yourself like, Okay, I guess I'll go and slay the princess because you've told me to. But you can also question it and be like, but why, And then the narrator will talk to you and be like, well, because that's what you're supposed to do, and you're like, well why though, And so you start to ask yourself questions. As you go to the cabin, the narrator will tell you what to do. They'll say like, there's a knife on the table, you're gonna pick that up to slay the princess. Again, it's up to you whether or not you pick up the knife, don't pick up the knife, or ask questions like you know, do I have to pick up the knife, and the narrator will say, you really should pick up that knife. As you go down to the dungeon or like basement of this cabin, you'll see the princess and it's pretty boopy. I mean, it is stressful at first. She's like chained to the wall of the dungeon and she's probably like a little scared or like fighting for her life essentially, and like trying to convince you not to kill her. Depending on how you play, will dramatically alter the series of this game, and I don't want to spoil it, but it got pretty intense pretty quickly for me, especially on a live stream.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh my god.
Speaker 1: It is graphic. It is not for children. It is a very visceral, vivid, violent game. I think it's very cool. I think it did new things that I thought were well done for this type of genre, and again for a genre I don't typically like. I think it did some really interesting stuff visually and thematically, and the way that you get to choose your path is very interesting in this game. I will also say, I don't think Dan will like it because it also asks some existential questions.
Speaker 2: Hit me with one.
Speaker 1: I don't have the memorized, but like there is a portion of the questions. You two are new. Stopped the game within twelve minutes because existential.
Speaker 2: If we don't know if it was existential, because it was stupid.
Speaker 3: If we don't remember what it was like before we were born, then what could it be like after we die?
Speaker 2: It's gonna be like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how can we How can we know what nothing feels like if we don't remember when.
Speaker 2: It We don't, but we'll figure it out. We'll die.
Speaker 3: What is true darkness?
Speaker 2: Close your eyes?
Speaker 3: No, that's black? What is lack of any color?
Speaker 2: Blind? People?
Speaker 3: Know?
Speaker 2: That's true? I can have no big boy questions?
Speaker 3: What what? What would your grandfather say? What would what would your grandfather's first words be to you? You after Saint Peter lets you through the pearly gates.
Speaker 2: Act like you're somebody. You have passed this. Yeah, I can handle this stuff.
Speaker 1: And to me these little riddles. Three, if you wished to cross the.
Speaker 3: Bridge, which of Kamala Harris and Donald Trump's policies do you find no.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's keep it real nice and light.
Speaker 3: That one white stain answer that.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, we would say. But anyway, going, oh wait, were you here when we did that?
Speaker 3: Was that when you were gone?
Speaker 1: I was not able to defend myself?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think it was. She was gone when we talked about how when we outed her as her true self insurrectionist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Where were you on January sixth?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you had a bunch of ziptis and ship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she had her tools. She just kept I need to have my tools. I need to go to Washington, d C.
Speaker 2: She fell off that wall like a dope.
Speaker 3: I don't know, joke it is funny or not very hard.
Speaker 1: But it impacts my job. I was on the live stream for Twitch today going over some of our new policies and like decisions as a company, and one of the things that I said was clipped and put on Reddit, and everybody was like saying whether or not they agreed with the policy decision, which I did not write, by the way, and someone in the comments said, I don't agree with her policies, but her opinions on Nixon are pretty good.
Speaker 3: I want to see a text.
Speaker 1: Mary recently opinions.
Speaker 3: Now, do you want to see what text Mary sent me? Yeah, I don't know if you could read that. It says I'm done.
Speaker 2: Done with Nixon. Reagan is a slut and I love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she texted me that nowhere.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, that's he's gotten a android. That's what?
Speaker 3: Why? Yeah? Why would that? Why is that be a b? So? What's gonna do an a? I porn with Mary and Reagan?
Speaker 2: Oh god, Jesus out untouched the face of God. Oh god, Dan.
Speaker 3: You also were playing something I think beautiful Transition. Yeah, I really don't try Sometimes.
Speaker 4: I tell it goes to wisdom. Uh yeah, not a whole lot more to add other than just that. Like I know, I've talked about it before on here, and I continued to appreciate and enjoy that game more as it kept going on. I think as your your tools keep your toolbox keeps expanding.
Speaker 2: Uh there, there's clever stuff you can do.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 2: I think, Mike, it was you that told me the trick about was a grub.
Speaker 4: Grub might have told me about pausing flying No, no, no, the pausing like instead of like going through the entire horizontal crazy scroll list of echoes. It's much better to just like pause and go to it once, like you know, once you're a couple dungeons in, you just have like you know, twenty thirty forty plus things, and it's just like instead of scrolling left to right, going to a full grid and just picking.
Speaker 2: It as actually like way way better. So that that was a nice tip. But yeah, yeah, it's a really solid game, mainline Zelda game. It's great.
Speaker 4: It's uh, if I were to rank it, it would probably be in the middle to low middle. It's I like it better than Spirit Tracks. I like it better than Zelda two. I like it better than Skyward's Sword. I like it better than Links Awakening. It's probably better than The Oracles. So it's uh, yeah, i'd put the in that like kind of you know, six to eight maybe, uh maybe there's a lot of Zelda games. I don't know, it's middle back to maybe like low middle, but they're all really good games.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's a really solid.
Speaker 4: One, and it's a very unique one, which I'm into the idea of the series playing around with things like this so cool stuff.
Speaker 2: Really enjoyed it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like that this game kind of continues what Tiers the Kingdom, I mean Breath of the While to some extent, but especially Tiers of the Kingdom started in that the developers are pretty much like starting to really let go a bit and let the players break shit, which is super cool. I don't think every Zelda going forward needs to do that, but I like that this is a continuation of that with a different skin and with different systems, which is a nice I like that they are not just like abandoning it now that they're you know, moving on to this relatively smaller Zelda game. Still a big Zelda game, but you know, it's not open world or a open world era. Yeah, I want to keep playing it. I'm still right at the end of those first two dungeon. First, I guess technically their first dungeon is the the you know, the tutorial one, but I'm read at the end of the Garudo Jabu Jabu dungeons, so it has just opened up. They literally gave me the spiel that you get in Zelda games, where it's like you could go here, here, go do this stuff. You just here's the overall objective. Oh I really, it's not that I part it picked up for me. I am very much motivated to. I just have not had time to go back yet. I could have played on the something about that game. I loaded it up on the plane. I was like, I can't this is I don't know. It's not that I can't think that way on a plane. I need to do something like even more mind numbing. I want to, but I also like, it's a Zelda game. I don't I don't know like Zelda games are, so I need to really sit down and just pay attention to a Zela game, even if it's not that complicated. It's just a I don't know, a ritual thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think it's one I would.
Speaker 4: I would play, you know, many many hours at a time of In fact, I had it that whole flight home from Japan. I only played like two or three hours on that flight. And then I tend to I got into the rhythm of like, Okay, I'm gonna get uh to the next dungeon and I'm going to finish the Like every dungeon has a thing where it's like, oh, you got to find these you know, star bit things or whatever to open up the dungeon.
Speaker 2: So like I would have these very whole game all the cutoffs.
Speaker 4: There's several dungeons where it's like, yeah, you got to go into the still world and you got to find like five of these things and then it opens the door. So like then I'll see quit and be like oh, as soon as I pick it up the next time, I'll be right at the dungeon and then I'll play until the start the next one.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I broke it up quite a bit. But yeah, overall, very very positive on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like it a bunch, keep playing it.
Speaker 1: I haven't played it yet.
Speaker 3: I need to.
Speaker 1: I need to get my hands on, especially for Goady Discussions.
Speaker 2: I think it'll it'll certainly be in my top ten.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Gody discussions, how high is UFO fifty going to be up on there?
Speaker 4: I still have a lot to play, but as because you know it's it's set chronolog I'm playing them chronologically.
Speaker 2: You can pick them in any order, but like you know, it's sept from like, how was UFO forty nine, Uh, the forty ninth. I'm not at the forty ninth time.
Speaker 4: I have be like the twenty six, twenty seventh right now, played about half of them, and they're getting better.
Speaker 2: Quickly.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of fun ones in the early parts that are said, you know, eighty three, eighty four, stuff like that. But now, oh Man Bonk told me about this one that I skipped ahead two called party House, which is such a clever fun thing where it's like you're you have a house party and you I don't know if you'd call it a rogue I guess it's a roguelight roguelike where you're letting in these different types. So it's like, okay, if you get three trouble makers in the house party, the cops come and then you kind of like lose and you have to restart, or actually, no, you can blame it on someone and then you can't use that person going forward. But you can do stuff where it's like, okay, if you invite a hippie in, the hippie will nullify one troublemaker, he'll like calm them down or whatever. So like you're kind of choosing who to bring in, Like you can bring in security, and security can choose one person to kick out. So it's, oh, god, I got two trouble makers, I'll bring in a security kick out one, or you can a dog and the dog can sniff and see who's going to come in the door next, and so you'll know it's safe to let one more person in because it's oh, it's just a hippie, or it's an auctioneer, and so like there's like auctioneers that will make money for you, and then you can hire a comedian that you have to pay money to. But if you have a full house, if you fill the whole house party, you will get more popularity, which popularity is the currency to invite more people to your house party. So it's this real just constant push and pull of like, Okay, I want to try to fill up this house party. I want to earn money because you can expand the house to invite more people in and to win. Like there's several different scenarios. The first one is like if you get four aliens. If you get popular enough where four aliens come into your house party, you win the first challenge. And so it's just this really clever thing I haven't really played anything like this of just trying to like manage these resources and like popularity so I can invite more people money, so I can expand the house, you know, things to nullify the Troublemakers and things like that. It's it's definitely my favorite one so far.
Speaker 1: But it's game jam, just like a bunch of game jam games, right, Like not everything is like super polished, but it works.
Speaker 2: That's totally what UFO fifty is.
Speaker 4: And like, I mean, there's fifty fucking games in there, and yeah, some of them are just like you're play them for like, you know, thirty seconds to be like okay, I get it, not really for me, moving on to the next one, and then you're run into one like the last one. I loaded up with this Rock on Island, which is like this caveman tower defense game where you're like placing these cavemen, you're upgrading the rocks and spears, and dinosaurs are coming in and you're, you know, trying to fend them off. You know, you're running around as your own dude, throwing bones and stuff, and it's, uh, there's just so much variety in this game. And I've only played like half of the games, and I've found at least seven or eight games that like I want to go back to and like beat, Like these are full games that you can beat, and they've been getting better as the like chronological as it's been getting further in the timeline. So it's just it's a really fascinating thing. It is, so it feels so accurate to like, you know, you could imagine these games coming out in eighty four, eighty five, eighty six, things like that, but incorporating ideas from modern gaming into this old aesthetic and just a fucking awesome project. I really love it, and I know I still have so much more to discover, So it's it's one of the cooler things this year for sure.
Speaker 1: Oh, very cool. I kind of want to play this too, before Godie, and I like, I think my fear is that this one looks like it's a big time suck, because there's your judgment on whether or not this game is good is going to be based on how many of the games that you've played within it and enjoyed.
Speaker 2: I would say play them all.
Speaker 4: But if something doesn't grab you once you understand what the hook is, drop out, because it doesn't take long to see what the hook is. I mean, these are meant to be games from the eighties, so like, you know, it's not like you're going to be watching thirty minute cut scenes before the game start it's like you'll know real quick if you're into it. So yeah, it's it's definitely definitely a highlight of twenty twenty four for me.
Speaker 3: Definitely for sure. Yeah, the fuck is drill Bit.
Speaker 1: This is just a little one. I haven't played too much of it, but I played a drill Core, which is a oh gosh, what kind of game is this? I'm gonna say it's strategy and it's rogue light because if you fuck up, you die and you have to start over.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just like life and.
Speaker 2: You maybe existential. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So you're drilling and you're trying to get the I don't know rocks that you're drilling, and they go into your drill core, and then you can upgrade your drill core four different things that help you drill more or go deeper. Ultimately, you're just trying to go deeper into the I'm not sure if you're on You're going deeper into the ground each time. But the deeper you go, the more the bugs come for you. And so you need to have defense systems set up. Turrets you can get like rocket launchers, et cetera, and the require the gems that you're drilling. You get three different minor types. This one made me think of you, Mike a little bit, because there was like a strategy thing that I feel like you would enjoy min maxing. The idea here is is like you have guys that literally drill, you need to tell them what to do. So there's like a little bit of a micromanagement where you're like, you drill here. Then there's carriers. They go down, they get the little gemmis and they bring it up into the core. And then there's defensive gunmen, and those guys their only existence is to just shoot any bugs that are trying to kill the workers. Your workers can die, and so you have to be thoughtful of like how many drill people do I need, how many carriers do I need that are bringing the gems? How many defensive guys do I need to make sure nobody dies? And if they do die, which they absolutely can, because I had a worm come through and just wipe out my whole team once, I was like fuck, I had to wait until my machine over time made enough gems that I could get a new drill guy, and it cost me like two in game days, which I think ultimately led to my demise. The you have to be conscious of when you want people to be drilling, when you need to pull them back because it's too dangerous, when to invest in more turrets so that you can stop the bugs from killing you, or when you invest in like technology that helps you drill faster or smarter. I invested in this technology that essentially boosted the speed of my little dudes by twenty percent. I thought that was really interesting. I also just want to say, although I don't think it's relevant, that the trailer contains a irl video of miners. So it'll show gameplay and then it'll show like a guy in a minor costume and he'll be like, it's getting really bad out there, man, like we gotta do something about these books, and then they'll show the game again. It's irrelevant, but I think it's a really funny trailer, and it's why I ended up getting the game because it's such a stupid trailer. Anyway, it's an interesting concept that you have to like balance all these different pieces of the game. And I'll also say that for someone like me who does not usually gravitate towards these games, similarly to how I do not usually gravitate towards uh uh like novel games, but I liked Slay the Princess. Drill Corp is simple. Yes, Drill Corp is simple for me to pick up. I understood it fairly quickly what it was trying to get me to do. And while I did die very early twice, I ended up figuring it out and getting pretty far before I died last time. But I haven't put that many hours into it yet. But yeah, it's a cute little strategy game, and the trailer was very funny.
Speaker 2: Nice to play.
Speaker 3: That is Drill Corp like a play on Marine Corps. But it's not spelled like that.
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Which part core?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Oh, it's like toward the core of the planet.
Speaker 2: Yes, m.
Speaker 1: That's what I think they're joking about, because you you're going down. Yeah, it's the little boys that you're sending down there there. They die a lot, and I think that's kind of funny too, even though it's not good for you in the gameplay, but like it's it's crazy just how squishy they are. They die so many different ways and you could just just make new ones, so they're they're a bit flippant about them, kind of like with hell divers. You know, every time you lose a man, you're like, ah, damn it. Anyway, I'll just make another one. Towards the end of the game. I really didn't have much of an appreciation for my crew, But that's that's drill corep.
Speaker 3: Baby, Mary Kesh loves Reagan, loves making new boys. You guys want your emails?
Speaker 1: Sure, I hate Reagan.
Speaker 2: Second fig says that Nixon Trump, then Reagan back.
Speaker 1: I don't like any Jake.
Speaker 3: Keep all this all right as usual. You can ride into fire Escape cast at gmail dot com. That is Firescape cast at gmail dot com with questions, comments, concerns. They're good questions. They may be out of the air, like these ones tonight. Although we do have a couple of uh responses to previous comments and conversations we've had on the show. I'll read these. I'll read this first one. This is Joe from New York said, after our fucking like twenty five minutes spud gun convo, spread the hair sudfiles dot com, spudfiles dot The hair spray or body spray you spray into a potato gun is ignited and the tiny explosion launches the potato. Dan is afraid of guest stoves. I promised that was not planned. I actually have not, so I don't think he should buy a potato gun. Also, Dan decency laws in Japan forbids showing genitals. I don't know what this is referring to. They're blurred in every form of media, even pornography.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So yes, the version of No Hard Feelings you downloaded in Japan is censored because you downloaded in Japan. Oh, Jennifer Lawrence at are Bush, that's just.
Speaker 2: So fucking that's so fun.
Speaker 4: Need to me that me and Bank separately watched and downloaded that movie, and we both happened to download it in Japan separately. We weren't on the same trip, and we both just thought like, oh, it's a pixelated scene. She actually watched it with her parents while we were in Jersey recently, and I asked her.
Speaker 2: I was like, okay, so was it full vagina? And so yeah, it's full vagina.
Speaker 3: So yeah, Winnanda was listening and like, on the way back from Hawaii, She's like, I saw her Bush, I'm not imagining it.
Speaker 4: Wow, yeah, wow, fascinating. He's such pixelate jendles.
Speaker 1: I just think it's funny that you thought that the film did that and was like, and this is where we pixelate her crotch?
Speaker 2: Why would I think? As far as I knew, I just downloaded on Netflix and watched it.
Speaker 1: You know, it is shocking, but like it's such a core part of what makes that scene insane is like I can't believe they showed the full part, right, I believe every cranny.
Speaker 3: Thank you for the pause button.
Speaker 1: Thank you that way you can see the suplex.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good for I gotta make sure I have the Oh, this was anonymous Hello Fire Escapees quick story. I thought you might like background information. I am a longtime member of the b d s M scene, and today in therapy, when I was trying to describe the difference between a mounch and a play party, the phrase it's like talkie versus Dewey just shout out, shout out of my mouth before I could even think about it, and I left the doctor even more confused. All the best, So what do we think, Uh, play party monch has to be I hear.
Speaker 2: Play party and I think it's like an orgy thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, play party must maybe like media a larger BDSM gag or whatever and munching talk. Keeper's dewey eating ass right munch, But that's not talking. Yeah, you're not talking versus Dewey. You can't say anything.
Speaker 2: You don't talk.
Speaker 3: You're doing it all right, Okay, Yeah we were kind of on this. Well, you guys are a A monch is a casual social gathering for people involved are interested in kank BDSM, alternative relationship lifestyles or fetishes, so like they're just hanging out and correct, it's just you know, okay, social gathering for like minded people. And then and then a play party is when you know, that's not when you get together to talk about games. That's when you get together and you fucking play Mario party.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think that makes sense.
Speaker 4: It's just like, oh, we all have a similar interest as all to hang out and talk about it, and then it's like let's go let's go to town.
Speaker 3: Is the other way, Yeah, let's play hell Divers too tonight. No shut up? And getting that pod.
Speaker 4: Podcasting about video games you're in there actually like shooting the bugs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the bonus episode versus the record of the episode.
Speaker 2: Sure, okay, this tracks this is I get this.
Speaker 3: I do like that. Our our lingo has crept into b DSM culture now, which is awesome, excellent.
Speaker 1: Excell's marinate. I want all of the bds emmers to think about Talkie versus Dewey.
Speaker 3: Thank you with email and this next one may read this, Yeah, to show yourself.
Speaker 1: We want to know you little kinky guys. You can have used a little could have used like a little uh pseudonym or given yourself like a little fake.
Speaker 3: They had an email address, but they asked that to be anonymous as well.
Speaker 2: That's fair.
Speaker 3: Mary. Read this one from Justin from Marcos, San Marcos, Texas. Oh man, that feud is still ongoing. That's our that's one of our two listeners from San Marcos.
Speaker 1: Fire Escapees. Here's your challenge. What do the following all have in common? It won't be tough to figure it out. Final Fantasy seven Silent Hill, Two Brothers, A Tale of Two Sons, Epic Mickey Luigi's Mansion, Dark Moon, Mario versus Donkey Kong, Lollipop Chainsaw, Until Dawn, Beyond Good and Evil, Braid, Shadows of the Damned Persona three Paper Mario thee thousand Year.
Speaker 3: Door I Didn't Know Braid and Shadows the Damned got re releases this year.
Speaker 2: That's yeah. I played that Shadow Is the damned that game back.
Speaker 3: In the day.
Speaker 1: These are just some, not all, of the games that we bought five, ten, or twenty years ago that are now being asked to buy again. And these are all from this year alone. Oh that is interesting. I didn't realize that this year these are all until dawn really ye.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, they just did that. Yeah, I understand, Oh wow, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm all right, I'm gonna finish. I understand that a lot of this is cynical repackaging. Uh, but I recognize that some of his intempt to give development teams something to work on between ten pole releases. My question is what happens when we run out of past games to mine. There's always more game to my baby, and you can remake a finite resource. No oil is a finite resource. Because there's so many goddamn games out there, you can always remake crap. Dare I ask how many Triple A development is propped up entirely by remakes and remasters and how long that appetite can they be expected to last? Cheers just in the original and biggest fire us Cape fan from San Marcos Texas.
Speaker 4: I don't have a problem with this. I've never had a problem with remakes. In fact, I like, you know, they're mentioning this being like cynical repackaging to take advantage of mistellgia. I mean, sure, I'm sure that happens where it's like, okay, let's just you know, crank this out and try to wring some extra bucks out of it. But I also see it as kind of a preservation thing, and I also see it as a way to make these run better on current hardware. I think of stuff like Spiro, which I never played back in the day, or Slight Cooper or even like Jack Indaxster, Ratch and Client, a lot of the early games in those series that once those HD collections and stuff came out, that's when I discovered them. And if it weren't for those remakes, I wouldn't have been able to And then by the time I come around to it, it's like HD, it's running better. You know, some of these, like this huge list of games that he mentions here, like, I don't think Final Fantasy is seven Early Counts, because that is like a fullmaker that is a remake remake. The rest are a lot of you know, re releases things like that. But ultimately being able to play all these old games on modern consoles, I don't see as a bad thing, you know. I know Resony Before has been re released and remade on a million things. I don't have a problem with it. It's one of the best games of all time. If I want to be able to play it on my switch, I you know, maybe not on my phone. I don't need that. But like modern consoles and PCs and stuff, especially as someone who goes back to old games, you know, for my job, and I like to shine a light on old great games and stuff. You know, if I don't have to break out a PS two and run it through a retro tank and do all this bullshit to stream it and show it to people, all the better, you know. Or go to emulation, you know. That's that's the thing of the alternative, is you go to emulation. So, I don't know, I don't see it as an a I've always liked remakes and remasters.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was that period where I think it was, like my snarky take ten years ago, like I'd rather just see new games rather than retreading old ones. And like I think there's a lot of the business aspect of designing games that I'm ignoring when I say that. Yeah, there's a preservation angle, but there's also the angle of Like I think good remakes are a chance to edit the bad parts of a game out. Like Resuemel four remake I think is really good. I still it's apples and orange just to say whether I like the original of the remake, but I do think like Rezuvil two is a good example, Like those are. Those are not just transforming it into an over the shoulder third person game. I think they're also removing a lot of fat from the originals. Like I think, good remakes are a chance to do like a director's cut vision of an older game, which is cool because I more than anybody. I mean, you have me and Mary here. We have been playing old Resident Evils for going on seven years now. Those are I'll be the first one to say, despite my love for them, they're not the easiest games to go back to. And I'm not just saying like they're hard to access in certain regards. I'm saying they have not aged super well.
Speaker 2: Does I still yeah, yeah, yeah, sensibilities and stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love resonable remake the original it's it's one of my favorite games of all time. That also is you know, that was them editing stuff, and then when it came out on PS four, they're like, let's let's maybe give an option to not use tank controls. I think it's a it's a good way for you to interact with incredible games in a modern with modern sensibilities. That I think I'm all for that because again, to dance points like I want, like my nephews and nieces to experience Residu Evil four. If the best way for them to do that is to play the most recent remake, is it the version I played? No, but they're still gonna be like, holy shit, the Chainsaw Sisters, Oh my god, alhigance. Like I think that's great. You know. Sure, again, maybe they're turning these out in a sense, but like, but you.
Speaker 4: Can do it in really meaningful ways, like I think Resident Evil is probably the leader in terms of meaningful remakes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I also look by picking like, you know, well the foremost.
Speaker 4: One, well let's go to another one. You know, Zelda one of the best series of all time. But like they improved upon some of the like Ocarina. You know, it's like, okay, everyone hated the water temple. Okay, well here's a much better way to do that, or even like the three equipment, that type of stuff MAJORA, the Bomber's Notebook, that type of stuff like MAJORA three D is absolutely the way to play that game. Wind Waker, you know, people complained about the sailing taking too long and all the tangle map shit at the end.
Speaker 2: Wind Waker, HG. I just played through it again.
Speaker 4: It's fucking awesome still, Like yeah, sure, sometimes they might just upres the thing and throw it out there, but then sometimes you get a full ass remake like Ari four, And then sometimes you get the like, okay, let's say some of the best games of all time, like these Zelda games, and just oh, here are the things we know that fans didn't like about it, and let's improve upon that.
Speaker 2: And I will always be in favor of that.
Speaker 1: Two like Justin's credit, I don't think every one of them does benefit or you know, ad and so there is a bit of an exhaustion from it. For example, I didn't know that Brothers A Tale of Two Sons is one of these, but did it need it Brothers. A Tale of Two Sons is like a pretty good experience for the era that it came out. And I'm not confident I understand why that was re released.
Speaker 4: Sure, yeah, that's I didn't feel as needed. I mean, yeah, there are going to be the big series that get it and deserve it, and then they're gonna be the one where it's like, oh, yeah, I don't know, do we do we need this again right now?
Speaker 3: Well, some of them run like dog shit, and you could tell they really were just churned out because people knew that you would buy, Oh what's the What's like a recent example of a remake remaster that was terrible?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean like there's just not bad reason.
Speaker 4: But like the Silent Hill HG collection, Yea, I know it really sucked, and like now Silent Hill two, you know, did it right? It seems u But then I think, you know, if people get very cynical about things like the Naughty Dog stuff, like with Last of Us getting the remakes and part ones and all that stuff, and it's like, oh man, that gime just came out a few years ago, you know, is this really you know, like I think people look a little side eyed at those, especially when they want new stuff from a studio like Naughty Dog.
Speaker 2: But it's not like it's this or that.
Speaker 4: It's not like they're making a remake of a Last of Us game in lieu of making a new IP or something like. They're going to be making that shit at the same time too, So yeah, I don't see the problem. Some are going to be needed and really well done. Some are going to be They're going to run like shit and aren't going to be needed. But you know, there's good and bad with everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the quality of remakes and remasters is almost as wide of a gamut as the quality and brand new games. Like you can get really good new remakes, you can get really easy ports, and you know, some will do their job, like Skyrim will keep releasing on shit and I'll probably keep playing it. Others, like I said, Resumel two remake will now become one my all time favorite games. But like, yeah, I'm done being like by default cynical about them. But that's not to say I'm not going to criticize the ones that really do feel like cashcraps, because those absolutely exist.
Speaker 4: Well, there are things like you know, the Mario three D All Stars collection, which those are three of my favorite games of all time, and I'm a little disappointed in that, like nothing, it all just kind of feels like just ports of these games. Nothing got added or improved necessarily.
Speaker 1: I think that's the real gut from this is that like that feels remastered to me, where it's just kind of a whatever addition, but they've put a new name on it when they could have maybe remastered one of your favorites and actually plussed it up.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I've preferred.
Speaker 4: Would I have preferred, like Mario sixty four Sunshining Galaxy to get like, you know, sixty nine and everything's like, it's just it looks great, it runs great at sixty praems a second, of course, of course I would prefer that. But the fact that I can play all those games on my switch is not a negative to me, you know. But it's also not going to like impress me the way that like an RI four or something, would you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's it's it's I don't think it's a one size fits all thing. But I don't think they're ever going to run out of games to remake and remasters out there. Here, really quick question I'm gonna I don't even you don't even need an explanation, but like, so far from the PS five series X generation, we're pandemic and beyond sure, what is the game? And this is impossible, it's kind of a loaded question, but what is the game you want to see? What's the first game you want to be remade from this generation in the future?
Speaker 2: Mary, do you have one? I got to think about that a.
Speaker 1: Game made this generation that I'm looking forward to being remade for like as.
Speaker 3: To put the next shen to play, Like, yeah, yeah, remake what's a game that was really good? But you think it could be edited and like maybe next generation will get it really right with like a director's cut version.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at my top tens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm looking at my Steam library real quick. I mean, the thing is is like I want to be careful that I'm not just like making this a graphics conversation because I think you can.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, not that I'm specific, I'm saying that, you know, like I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't want this to be a graphics conversation. When I think about quality of.
Speaker 3: Life, It's like, what is what is the game this generation that you were like, oh god, it's so close to being a great game, but it's like it's not quite there. They need this. This was annoying. This was annoying.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: I just pulled up my top ten games at twenty twenty two and I put Sonic Frontiers above Gotta wear Ragnarok, and that is such a troll.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's incredible.
Speaker 3: I got got where Ragnarok would be one of them. All they have to do is cut thirty hours from it. Yeah, and eight characters.
Speaker 2: No, man, what would it be. I'm looking here.
Speaker 1: Mass as well, which is such a.
Speaker 2: Here's the Kingdom, Breadth, the Wild Breath, the Wilds before that, but like.
Speaker 3: I will one thousand by both of those on these switch three or whatever the.
Speaker 4: Fu Yeah, give sixty frames a second, here's the Kingdom, Like that'd be awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm thinking back in the reviews I did where I was like, everything's awesome, but there's this one little thing that doesn't attract from the whole thing. But sure, like I don't know, Death Stranding director's cut kind.
Speaker 2: Of don't you start got me into it?
Speaker 3: Although that that was honestly, that was less because of the director's cut ideas.
Speaker 1: There's a couple of like scary games that I wonder if, like with a couple of modern touches, if you could really fuck people up. Amnesia is such a scary game, and I wonder if some modern dated these days updates, you could probably really scare the shit out of these kids.
Speaker 2: Let me try that.
Speaker 1: They did, and you know what's interesting, Okay, it's interesting you bring that up, Dan. They did update it, but it's not the same game. They made new versions, and a lot of the times the game having tough graphics helped with its scariness because you can't really see what it is like it's so jarring and fucked up in the graphics are just low enough quality you can't fully see it, and that is disturbing. So there is an element I think of the classic old gameplay that serves the scariness well. But I will say, like the idea of having like really good resolution, really up to date graphics and still not being able to see what the thing is that's chasing you and ultimately killing you, I still think they could. They could figure it out well.
Speaker 4: And that's the argument with stuff like when they made the remaster of Shadow of the Classes is that it was kind of cleaned up quite a bit, Like the graphics look cleaner, but like there was an aspect to the PS two quality, like the blurring and things like that kind of added like almost a dreamlike quality to that game, and by cleaning it, uh, maybe it lose a little bit there.
Speaker 1: I lose a little bit of the atmosphere, a little bit of the the style at the time. And a lot of people would always say that too. Is because when you're making games for an era, you're making very intentional decisions with every shape and choice, every polygon, like it had a very distinct purpose back then, and now you can just be like, we'll just make it look like a Yeah, make it look like a boy. And it's like, what do you've changed the entire director's intent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not all about realism. Like that's something I think about a lot with Snake Eater. You know, I played Delta at the preview event, I've seen the trailers, and I'm watching Kla play through the HD version of the original. But the HD version is still the same graphic style, and I think that's an example of them doing it pretty right, because like Snake looks like Snake Vulgan still looks like a like a comic book character. Like, but yeah, some of the early trailers and stuff is like, oh, I hope they don't go too far into photo realism here, because like it did have a bit of a style to look, even if it was largely realistic style. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I also think it's interesting that you can go you can do the opposite, right, Like you can make a modern game that looks like a classic game. UFO fifty seems like it is it fifty UFO or UFO fifty. It seems like that's doing it. I'll also say that crow Country is very clearly inspired by Silent Hill and is made in the vein of Silent Hill. Like it looks like a classic arcade game. It's not meant to be remastered. It shouldn't look any different. It's intentional for it to look the way it does, and it's fucking killing it. So a lot of the times I feel really motivated to just say, like, if the intentionality is there, leave it alone, because like that is the way it's meant to be, and it's it's a place in time, you know. I think a lot of the times, like they really are just meant to be the way they are, and you just we have those sweet baby games alone.
Speaker 3: I think I've got one. I think hear it one that it's I think it's genuinely one of the best games ever designed is Outer Wilds. But like I could see some sort of update to the controls for the jet pack and the spaceship or like, I didn't mind.
Speaker 2: I kind of like the way, but I.
Speaker 1: Don't think it's universal, Like my parents could ever play that, Like it's very difficult to like process. I also think that it does. I think it's a great example. I think my problem with Outer Wilds is like it doesn't explain enough to the player to the point where you can get wildly lost and go on two hour tangents, which are fun because you're exploring space, but if you if you lose the narrative too far down that path, you can just disappear. I think that is a good contender. Yeah, for sure, I could absolutely see that one being like something that would blow the young children's minds, the kids that are born in twenty twenty twenty and are now four years old.
Speaker 3: All right, well, thank you. Justin the original and biggest Firescape fan from San Marcos, Texas. All right, we got one more, Dan, Do you want to read this one? From Rachel?
Speaker 4: Yes hi II. I live in Michigan, where we now have a hands free driving law. Finally, what while sending a text through Siri, I copy, I got caught behind someone going so slow. I started loudly complaining about it, not fully realizing I'm still using Siria to send a message. So half the message was about chicken wings, followed by a slew of expletives.
Speaker 2: He had a good laugh about it.
Speaker 4: If you can get any actor, video game character or human you know to be a Siri voice, who would you pick me? It would be the Turtle Pope or Blade from Elden Ring for me, Papavenny from Next Lander would be cool as hell. Two excellent, Okay, well, thank you so much. Rachel also says your soul is cat piss has made its way into my lexicon.
Speaker 2: That sounds like a marry. I don't remember the context, but that sounds.
Speaker 3: Like hastat that about you? Dan?
Speaker 2: What I want to g yep? The mm hmmm, Mike Manatti, you.
Speaker 3: Should have turned left back there, Dan, you missed the You missed the turn.
Speaker 1: Take a U turn Dan, This isn't Disney.
Speaker 3: This is not Disneyland. Dan.
Speaker 1: It just always directs you to Disney, even when you just pick.
Speaker 2: It, will only take it to Epcot Center.
Speaker 3: Let has been misunderstood.
Speaker 1: Turn left.
Speaker 2: This costly singing bullshit from Frozen or whatever.
Speaker 3: Umm will arrive at Agrabad approximately thirty four minutes.
Speaker 1: Brutal impression.
Speaker 3: God, there are the heartless and then there are the heartless at Hollo Bastion. They're very different.
Speaker 1: It's just correct.
Speaker 2: You're talking and Jeff crub.
Speaker 3: So, uh, Mike Manatti does a thing where he is, he'll talk about Disney, He'll talk about Disney. Okay, I'll be the first one to say he'll talk about Disney a lot.
Speaker 4: And then the first.
Speaker 1: But you also have to go turn right.
Speaker 3: So I mean I'll say it. I'll say it. I beat Dan an astrobot. Uh speed runs all the time.
Speaker 2: Hit him with the jet backler. Hit him with the jet backler series.
Speaker 3: Hey, asshole, you forgot to turn right. Mario's back that way.
Speaker 2: He sucks.
Speaker 3: Ah. Man, if it's not hockey, I don't know, that's not him. Wait you got you guys? Ever been to know? Have you? Guys? Ever been to Jersey. I think I've extended my I've uh, I've exhausted rather my uh my impersonations. Unless you give me someone else I want to try.
Speaker 1: That's so impressive. I would never have the guts to do that. I think it's.
Speaker 3: Peter Brown. Yeah, oh, man, Pete's tough. Rob Henlery, I don't know, I'll do Pete. Okay, the retro video game stores back there, man, Like, here's the thing about CCR TVs.
Speaker 2: You gotta like c's clear Water TV.
Speaker 3: What. No, I don't know, Just like, I promise I'm going somewhere with I'm going somewhere with this. I promise you got already consider that the cathode rays in the eighty seven models are not the same. And you gotta like, no, no, Dan, go away. I'm trying to tell Rob.
Speaker 1: This thing stop stop in ten feet?
Speaker 3: Yeah Rob, Oh, I could do Rob.
Speaker 1: Rob's a lot of us can do Rob because he has this iconic thing.
Speaker 3: Very animated. And yeah, I wouldn't even I don't think it would play well.
Speaker 2: Game spot people are getting a shoe.
Speaker 3: Not okay, give me someone else.
Speaker 2: Hmmm, Richard Nixon, you have.
Speaker 3: Just passed the waffle house.
Speaker 2: I waffle seems like the best word to say is Richard Nixon.
Speaker 3: I hope I will not have any of that. You'll go to waffle house. I will reluctantly remit. The presidency of this country had.
Speaker 4: To shake your jewels as hard as possible. It's tough when I don't really ja jelly man he was.
Speaker 1: That would be a great uh. I would pick that one. I think it'd be pretty fun to have Nixon tell me how to get to the nearest gas station. I think that's pretty fun.
Speaker 4: They used to have that on like early AOL, where it's like you could pick celebrity voice packs for your like because I had Letterman and he'd be like, hey, Skippy, you've got mail. You know, so like all the different like you know, friends logging in or you've got mail, would be Oh, here's rageous, here's Letterman, here's whatever.
Speaker 2: Like that was fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, but I guess short answer though, I would like to have an obvious ones like James Earl Jones.
Speaker 1: Bob from Bob's Burgers would be so nice because I actually I find it so cathartic just the way he talks and when he's dis pointed. He always goes uh, and so like every time I missed the turn, he'd just be like, uh, that's the wrong turn, and I'd be like, Oh, that's not so bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jamaine Clement would be good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Stone Cold, Steve Auston, mhm. Brett Hart. I think I went Brett Hart. A lot of wrestlers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's there's there's options. I would like Vinnie and he's.
Speaker 1: He is a calming voice. Yes, Vinny would do a great job as a Sirie car uh navigation system.
Speaker 4: You guys ever had Vinnie as a manager, Vinnie like, you know, great friend, obviously, great broadcast personality, but man I had him as a manager, He's maybe the best manager I ever had, like in any job. Like he's just he's just a he's just a person that cares about people, and he's just gonna put Vinnie over here.
Speaker 1: He's he knew it. I knew it. I always assume that, And my brief times working with him, I was just like, this just seems like a person who really cares about the company and the people that he's working with and their lives and why it matters, and seems like the kind of person when you're like I'm late because there's like a rainstorm. His immediate reaction to be like, are you okay? Do you need something? Can I help you? Like that's not like the kind of guy that's like, well you're five minutes late.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and also very patient when you're just you know, doing your bullshit or whatever, like you know, he's yeah, No, I just don't put Vine over.
Speaker 2: He's He's the best.
Speaker 1: Damn it. Make that man a manager again. Somebody hire that.
Speaker 2: He's doing it right now, but it doesn't benefit me. Get him in charge of twitch.
Speaker 3: I want him as a manager any twitch twitch. All right, well, thank you Rachel, appreciate it. And as I mentioned before, if you want to send in questions the show that is Fire's kik Cast at gmail dot com and that's our episode and actually top. But again, if you are a patron subscriber, you can basically ignore this. However, if you're not, if you've lapsed, or if you're considering being a patron's patron to get ad free episodes or video episodes before the end of October, note that by November. As of November one, we will be switching to subscription billing. What does that mean? You ask, if you sign up for our Patreon on October twenty fifth, say, you will then be charged on November twenty fifth for your next billing cycle, as opposed to the first of every month no matter when you signed up in that month. There's a bit of a quality of life annoyance, so patreons rectifying that across the board. So if you're on the fence and you want to maybe support us, you want to get add free episodes, you want to get video episodes, you want to be keyed in on all the news for our big Game of the Year stream, which again is November sixteen, sixteenth. Mark your calendars, twenty twenty four. We should sign up. Now is the time to sign up, or any time before the end of the month, and you will not just be automatic.
Speaker 1: You do not do it now, We won't let you listen to it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and or just wliders as we come up there give you a full month exactly well as of this recording month. Heads up November sixteenth. It will be in the evening we will start. I believe the thing we do now is it will be on the fire Escape Cast YouTube after the fact. So if you want to see the vod it'll be on fire Escape YouTube. The audio will come up the eighteenth on this feed, and then I believe the actual stream. We never set up like a Twitch thing for so probably on mine. Right, that's what we're doing.
Speaker 3: We have one, but it was mainly a placeholder. But I guess we'll figure that out.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, yes, follow both, no matter what, follow Dan record and Firescape Craft.
Speaker 2: If that's what it is, we'll see. We'll figure out the details.
Speaker 4: But no matter what, it will be on the fire Escape cast YouTube and the audio will be on this feed later on.
Speaker 2: So that is coming November sixteenth. Live. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Dan and I the other night both predicted our We both had a prediction for the winner of Game of the Year this year. I think we yeah, although one other one came up Dan that was not discussed that I kind of maybe this is not a good came up and was not discussed. Right, they came up. Afterward, I was like, oh, we didn't, Dan, and I didn't mention that, which is probably a bad sign. However, then I'm like, oh, right, that was a huge game this year that we talked a lot about it, Just like I think maybe sort of live servicey co op multiplayer.
Speaker 2: Keep talking.
Speaker 3: I don't want to roll verses. I want to save it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Game of the Year, it's good. It's not my top ten.
Speaker 3: The fuck it's not your top ten.
Speaker 4: No, I literally, I just I'm looking at it right now. I have my top ten loose list here. It's on the It's no, it's I fucking it was great, but it was probably fourteen about It'd probably like fourteen to fifteen for me.
Speaker 3: Uh. That's where astrobot is for me.
Speaker 1: We are already starting our politicking and we will discuss more of us win the sixteenth. Nobody knows. Shut the fuck up?
Speaker 3: Ok, Mary, what do you have going on outside of fire Scape, twitch Ship?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: Well people might Yes, I know. I'm not doing this for me. I don't give every week, Mike.
Speaker 1: Why do you always ask me this question?
Speaker 3: You know what I when I'm up to make do? What have the fuck you want? Give ship? Did you even answer it? I don't care. Dan, What do you have going on?
Speaker 2: Giant bomb dot com?
Speaker 4: Follow the BombCast, boy Smail, Dump Truck, all those Giant Bomb shows. I'm actually home until like Thanksgiving, so I should be able to get some personal streams in so follow Dan record on Twitch and Instagram. Uh yeah, I'll actually take it easy and just stay in Minnesota for a bit.
Speaker 3: So looking forward to that nice Yeah, looking forward to the weather just got cold here in New York, and I don't know if it's going to turn again. So I'm enjoining the cozy weather Cozy indoors already season baby. Thank you so much everybody for joining us. I just noticed that there I can see right into someone's bathroom back here.
Speaker 2: Anything cool going on in there?
Speaker 3: He's just peeing, standing and ping. It's way far away, but I never noticed that's a bathroom that I could see into.
Speaker 2: It's a full like. You're not seeing like a wiener right now, are you?
Speaker 3: Thinks?
Speaker 2: So I'll say you should close the blinds. If there's visible wiener.
Speaker 3: I'll send you a video. But uh, episode ninety two, We'll we'll see you again in a couple of weeks. Get ready, I think is that the last episode before I give me the What are they.
Speaker 1: Going to remake it so you can actually see the dong in the window?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Four k dong?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, interesting number fourth? Episode ninety three is the next episode number fourth and then second on that dong? Next episode much is that dong in the window?
Speaker 2: Ray tracing on that dong.
Speaker 3: He's really enjoying it too.
Speaker 1: It seems like DLNG is there V sync on that dong V s.
Speaker 3: Antil the whole package?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the whole package, all right, DLC. And it's balls.
Speaker 3: Motion away from the he's yawning late here twelve thirty, he's still a long still going. Yeah, he's still going. You want the video version, you can see me watching someone pee.
Speaker 2: Yeah, check out the paper.
Speaker 3: On dude, finish up. I'm obsessed.
Speaker 2: We can't end the podcast until he's done.
Speaker 3: Pin. He's so far like this is really far away. It's just it's a window I see all the time. I just never realized the bathroom.
Speaker 1: You have to be careful. At some point he's no longer peeing and he's just uh pulling it.
Speaker 2: Does this penis have any chromatic aberration?
Speaker 3: So I cannot even stress how like perfectly framed it is where everything it's his waist down is covered.
Speaker 2: So it's like a good, Okay, well then that's that's all decent PG rated. Oh he's like jumping.
Speaker 1: What's the aspect ratio?
Speaker 2: The letterbox done?
Speaker 1: Letter box done, it's funny.
Speaker 3: If he looks up.
Speaker 2: No, you're getting arrested if he looks up.
Speaker 3: Joke, I didn't take.
Speaker 1: He it's a video version we all saw.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm so sorry. I think I see what's happening that. I think he's at a standing desk.
Speaker 2: That's very Wait does he have a shirt on?
Speaker 3: I can't. Oh, it's fun.
Speaker 1: What does he do for a living?
Speaker 3: I don't know if his dick is out? Oh, he's at a standing desk.
Speaker 2: It's like when Butter's peas and it's just like shirt on, pants down.
Speaker 3: That wind. He's like a floor below me.
Speaker 1: What a twist produced by n Light Shamalan for this to actually be a stand shaman?
Speaker 2: Don Shaman? Don Who's say?
Speaker 3: Yep, No, he's as standing desk. Wow, he got me good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's just working.
Speaker 3: Probably he's probably playing Hell Divers too. Good game, not as though it was episode ninety two.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna do I'm gonna do some big crazy thing where I'm trying to put as to number one.
Speaker 2: I know my spots. I know it's not for you, reasonable man.
Speaker 3: Why would I think to you two are gonna do some crazy thing when you try to force pick him and four into number one.
Speaker 4: At the end of we were just trying to give it its flowers, all right, We were being reasonable.
Speaker 3: It wasn't our number two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's crapy with how that turned out.
Speaker 3: You tried to push it.
Speaker 2: Oh darn, Zelda Game got our Game of the Year.
Speaker 3: We will be back on November fourth, at which point we would be prepping for our Game of the Year on November sixteenth, which will go up November eighteenth as the next episode, breakout episode. Thang everybody for joining. We'll talk to you later. Until then, have been a couple of weeks.