Speaker 1: Positive America is brought to you by simply Safe. No one wants to imagine their home getting broken into. But the scary statistic is that every twenty six seconds in the US a family experience is a break in. Scary, yes, but that's why simply Safe has worked to make home security more accessible to more American families. John lovet set up is simply Safe, and boy is he happy. Safe as hell, Safe as hell. Just no one has set it up as well as love it.
Speaker 2: No nobody crushed it, No one very quick.
Speaker 1: And now it's then you get the app on your phone and so you can sort of run everything from there. With simply Safe, there are no long term contracts or hidden cancelation fees. They earn your business by keeping you safe, not by trapping you in a contract. With simply Safe, you can customize your system to fit your needs, then ships fast directly to your door. The app guided set up is simple and there's no drilling required, so you can install and arm your system in under an hour. Simply Safe is more than just a security camera. It's a comprehensive system of sensors, indoor and outdoor cameras, and twenty four to seven professional monitoring. Over five million people value and trust Simply Safe with their home security every day. Right now, our listeners will get fifty percent off a new system when you sign up for professional monitoring and your first month is free. Just visit simplysafe dot com slash crooked. That's half off at simplysafe dot com slash crooked. There's no safe like simply Safe. Welcome to Applied Save America. I'm John Favor, I'm John Love It Tommy Vetory. On today's show, we'll talk about the news that Trump appears to be giving up on his one point eight billion dollar insurrectionist slush fund. He also seems quite uninterested in ending the Iran war, saying he quote couldn't care less whether talks breakdown. We're also going to talk about Tuesday's big primaries this week in Iowa and here in California, as well as more turbulence in Maine for Graham Plattner and more turbulence for Jade Vance and his quest to become Donald Trump's number one boy chosen successor. Then New Jersey Senator Andy Kim talks to me about the horrifying conditions he witnessed at the Ice Attention Center in Newark, where the senator was pepper sprayed by federal agents. Before we start, you guys see the uh that CBS is Scott Pelley accused Barry Weiss of murdering sixty minutes.
Speaker 2: That sounds like a really fun meeting to have attended.
Speaker 1: It was an all staff meeting convened by Weiss's new handpicked executive producer, Nick Bilton. No Weiss at the meeting said him.
Speaker 3: It's your first day at the office. You're trying to find the bathrooms. You're seeing which where your badge works and where your badge doesn't work. Next, Scott Pelly is saying you piece of shit. I will fucking wreak your dead corpse over the bones of Don Hewitt.
Speaker 1: And obviously love It's was hyperbole, but not as much as you might obviously close reading Oliver Darcy's status as the whole transcript of the meeting was it was something anyway. I just bring that up because if all of you want to support the growth of an independent pro democracy media company that Barry Weiss can't murder, at.
Speaker 2: Least not yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, please consider becoming a friend of the pod subscriber you get ad free episodes of this show, all your favorite Crooked Pods, subscriber only shows like Polarcoaster with Dan Pfeiffer, our secret extra episode of Pod Save America, and full access to all of our substec newsletters like Open Tabs. Check it out at criokeed dot com slash friends. All right, let's get to the news. With the Middle East still a mess and gas price is still high, the President is once again working hard to communicate to the American people how little he cares about these things. Here he is during a hard hitting Fox interview with his daughter in law Lara Trump, focused like a laser on his true passion interior design.
Speaker 4: This will be the entrance into the ballroom, and the borough will be right here. No, the ballroom is a gift to America from me and.
Speaker 1: From Apple and from lots of great people. And how often are you coming out here to check.
Speaker 5: The progress a lot.
Speaker 1: We're gonna have the inauguration here. Oh wow, this stone can last a million years.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: Most people would put brass on top of a piece of wood. It would be called laminading, and then in about three years you see the.
Speaker 6: Grass falling on the floor. You know, with laminated, this is solid.
Speaker 4: Same thing with this.
Speaker 2: This is all solid, beautiful solid.
Speaker 1: It's it's the putting. Look.
Speaker 3: We've suffered a lot under this guy, the putting labels on the rooms outside the office. You know, the whole point of it, man, is we know it's a cool room. It's actually a great thing. You don't need to label it.
Speaker 2: Did you guys read Ashley Parker's story about Trump is a gay icon in the Atlantic. You will love it. It's made so funny. It's so good.
Speaker 1: They're having the inauguration out there.
Speaker 2: No, they're not, by the way Congress decided.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, yeah, what's the dream means like the balls and some of the you know.
Speaker 1: The balls that would happen around the inauguration. I mean, says him. He's not there anymore.
Speaker 2: Right, he won't be.
Speaker 1: He shouldn't be that involved in the planning of it. You know, one would hope does he He's he's just gonna stay on as like physical plant director.
Speaker 2: It's a chaperone for JD. You're going home.
Speaker 1: No. So that was on Fox over the weekend for Fox viewers who wanted just a little more on what the government is doing about this terrible economy. On Sunday morning, they get to hear this from top White House economic advisor slash a Democratic Party plant, Kevin Hassett.
Speaker 6: People are spending more on gas, but they're also spending more on everything else, not just groceries, but restaurants and so on. And I think that that's a sign that you would see when people are optimistic about the futures.
Speaker 1: Now, Tommy, you put this in Slack yesterday, I think on Sunday, and I was like, isn't that the clip from last month when Kevin hasn't said this? And then I had to click on it and realize that he basically said the same thing again, but maybe worse this time.
Speaker 2: No, they just keep putting Magga, Dennis and Menace on TV to stay stupid shit. I mean, they just like they could not seem more out of touch if they tried. They spending more on gas and groceries does not suggest that you're optimistic about the future. It suggests that you need gas and groceries and those are non negotiable items. They're not taking out loans to start a business, Like what are you talking about?
Speaker 3: It does like, oh, you know, hey, man, Like most people are just they're just not really paying that close attention to aggregate consumer spending, right, Like that matters to you in your morning meeting.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, But then like the Laura Trump interview, I mean, Trump clearly wanted to talk about the brass thing he put on the wall. He could he could write Laura Trump's questions for her if he wanted. It's his daughter in law doing the interview, and he like, they clearly went out and they pitched this, like he just he wants to tell us I don't give a shit about anyone or anything about in a world except for myself, my arch and like he seems annoyed almost that we don't believe him at this point.
Speaker 1: It's so funny because we also on Friday's pod covered Bessent in the briefing room when some reporter asked him about like people's savings being lot of people dipping into their savings and he's like, well, according to the economic literature, that could be two things. One the doomer view that you just took, which is that people aren't confident or they're spending so much because they are confident. That's why they're dipping. They're saving.
Speaker 3: Yes, people are people are wrecking, people are racking up credit card debt because they're betting on themselves. That's what's going on. That's what's going on. Just thought of it, thought of it too late. Phantom of the ballroom, that's what he's sort of aiming fans something like that. I sort of imagine I said it earlier.
Speaker 2: The University image. They made this joke earlier. The University of Michigan's consumer Sentiment Index is at a record low of forty four point eight in May of twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: That's lower than cos covidom.
Speaker 2: So the biggest concern, by the way, is cost of living and gas prices.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you know what the solution is, turn that frown upside down. All you doomers believe believe in Donald Trump and his wild Look. If a man can can do that with brass, imagine what he can do for your savings.
Speaker 3: Thatsn't going out there with the two hundred and fifty dollars bill too. Like the whole thing it is crazy. It is he wants to lose them.
Speaker 2: You see him holding up the story being like, whoever edited this or did a terrible job, A pissy cadavery.
Speaker 3: He looks, so he has such a terrible like kind of his whole facial expression, just like just it's so unlikable, just the holding up the story with the money on it.
Speaker 1: So obviously none of this is going too well politically for Trump. But unfortunately for him, even his renovations and corruption are running into some stiff headwinds. On Friday, a federal judge blocked Trump's plan to close the Kennedy Center for renovations and also ruled that he can't just rename it for himself. There was a very long truth social post where he was ranting about that that I have to tell you, I honestly couldn't get through it all. It's just he was very upset. Sorry, but basically he's like, I'm giving up on the Kennedy Center. That's it, forget it. It's like, all right, quat cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hey man, yeah, leave her alone.
Speaker 1: The same day, another federal judge in Florida reopened Trump's IRS settlement with his own DOJ because of what she called quote grievous allegations that the one point eight billion dollar insurrectionist slush fund was quote premised on deception. Then another federal judge in Virginia temporarily blocked the transfer of money in or out of the fund while she waits to hear arguments in a lawsuit challenging it. Finally, after all these reports that both Republicans in Congress and White House aides were pushing Trump to just give up on the slush fund altogether, it appears as if he's done just that. Two senior administration officials told Axios that Trump will dropped the slush fund, with one saying quote, it's dead for now. D o J also posted a statement saying it'll quote abide by the court ruling blocking it, even though that block is only temporary. Do you guys we haven't heard from Trump as of this record.
Speaker 3: We got to hear from the big Boy before it's done. It's not done till the big Boy speaks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and even then, But do you think he's backs down this easily? And and I think more importantly, do you guys think this is still a political issue for Republicans?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: For Also, Senate Republicans actually were pretty bothered by this. In a close to our meeting, of course, John Thune was actually out there saying, you didn't like this very much, which is impressive for him. Of course, the only thing Senate Republicans could manage to do is quietly oppose it and then bravely leave town.
Speaker 1: That was their way of protesting it.
Speaker 3: It was we're not going to give him more money for immigration that we don't need if we're going to leave town to signal our our unhappiness with it. I assume and hope that we'll still have votes on it this week. I think there's no given that it's only temporarily on hold, and Trump clearly wants to do this. I think Democrats need to get Republicans on record that they would oppose having this kind of a slush fund be legal now or in the future, and so let's get them voting on that, because even if they're privately saying it, they'll have to publicly do something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the for now bothered me. For now, part of that report bothered me. I'm hopeful that you know, when you're primarying John Corny and you're primary and Bill Cassidy, and when Tom Tillis hates you all Republicans in the Senate, maybe they will prevent this from ever passing or coming to be. I don't know. I don't know if you guys read the big New York Times piece from over the weekend about how the slush fund came together, but it read like the blueprint for a future reco case. It was like Boris Epstein on the outside, like coordinating things the Trump kids want immunity for, like all IRS audits for their tax returns in the future. The professional staff at DJ are either horrified or quitting. And then the White House political staff was just cut out of the process because they probably knew that it was toxic and it's like the most corrupt sounding shit imaginable, and so I don't know, knowing Trump, it's probably not the end of it.
Speaker 1: Schumer is going ahead with, or he said he's going ahead with making sure they have to vote on it and do it. The vote is going to be on you know. Originally, I think the first time we talked about Democrats potentially proposing amendments on this, it was like to restrict the fund or whatever. There was a couple proposals out there to just ban the fund completely forever, and that's what Schumer's going with, reportedly, he said today. And I think that's great because like what Republican now is going to vote against the ban now that Trump has said, or at least the White House has signaled that they're giving up on it, so Trump doesn't say anything between now and the vote. Like, if you're a Republican voting on this, you can either vote against the ban and really fuck yourself in the midterms because now that White House is abandoned it, but now you're on record supporting it, or you can vote for the band and then the band becomes law and then it doesn't matter if Trump backs off because now it's against the law. Well, right, there's a pretty good position that, Oh.
Speaker 3: Democrats are great, this is ridiculous. There's no good vote for the Republicans. They haven't in the past chosen this is a political ploy because there is no fund So I'm voting against this because Democrats are playing politics, just giving them an option to be crazy, of course, just giving that's another vote. It's another craven past there they're Republicans have said this is not necessary or it is too late. Those have been two positions they've taken in the past, and trying to stop Trump.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: The the other part of this too is like in fairness to Trump, you must be surprised that there's any pushback whatsoever.
Speaker 1: It sort of I think must have caught him up.
Speaker 3: Guards that centate Republicans have found a line because they've tolerated so much brazen corruption, the pardons and all the rest that led to this moment. Even as we're speaking ToJ is trying to vacate the convictions of the oathkeepers that Trump only commuted but didn't part. And so they still are kind of just going full speed ahead without having to worry about the Republicans of Congress.
Speaker 2: I love the Mike Pence was on the Sunday Shows being like, please don't pay the people that tried to hang me. Yeah, you know Donald's watch. I watched her to hang me. They set up up stocks in a news.
Speaker 3: He I watched part of that. Mike Pence, come on, Meet the Press. I don't know why this doesn't sound like me, but.
Speaker 1: But it was. He's served to you by accident.
Speaker 3: His book is about His book is about like the need to take on the right wing populist. While he's like up there just like praising Donald Trump and how on so many things he's doing such a great job. And then he's like, Now, I do have to say I am a big critical of his continuing to support the people that tried to.
Speaker 1: Kill me, But nobody's perfect. So unbelievable that he's still out here, out there like doing this thing. I think that there's a very small but non zero chance that the other all option for Donald Trump is saying, fine, I'll just pocket the cash. Then well he remember, remember he had that pissy post last week when there was a lot of political lowback on the slush fund, and he was like, I could have just kept the money.
Speaker 3: Well, that's why he's annoyed, right, because he thought, I'm going to do a ten million dollar lawsuit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then I'm actually going to do something really.
Speaker 3: Cool which is going to be like beloved by all because I'm not going to keep the money.
Speaker 1: It was like too clever by half? Yes, yes, And then you.
Speaker 3: Can feel that this is the White House staff being annoyed at Todd Blanche for running this drug deal behind their backs.
Speaker 1: So good, amazing, All right, let's talk about around where Trump can't even seem to get a bad deal, let alone one that would justify the insane amount of money and lives the war has already cost military strikes have started again around state. Media said it was pausing negotiations. Trump told CNBC on Monday morning that he quote couldn't care less if the negotiations collapse, that they quote took too much time and started to get very boring. This was after he complained on truth Social about how negative quote chirping about the war from political hacks is making his job tougher and that we should all just sit back and relax because it will all work out well in the end. It always does. Trump then reverse course again, uh, and said that talks between the US and Iran were quote continuing at a rapid pace.
Speaker 3: Taking too long and getting kind of boring. Is also what he said the one and only time he went down on Havana. Never never made it, Never gonna make that mistake.
Speaker 1: Where that came to sorry me, just catching catching strays from the grave. Okay, Uh, Tommy, we were we were reliably told by Scott Jennings last Thursday that Trump had reached a deal with Iran that got us quote everything we want. What happened? Is it possible that Scott let us a stress?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Before I get the Jennings, I want to just read a little more of the transcript of the CNBC interview. Is this what Trump told Aman Jabvers from CNBC about the peace talks. I don't care if they're over. Honestly, I really don't care. I couldn't care less. If they're over, they're over. If they're not, you know, I think they took too much time. Frankly, I thought they started to get very boring again. Thirteen service members dead, hundreds more wounded, tire, global economy is on the brink of collapse. Gas prices are at fifty percent, So he's bored. It's just hard to wrap your head around a politician and saying that, a president saying that and then not being a career ending moment kind of like on site. But here we are. Fox News will never air it. This will never have happened in the maga media world now. Scott Jennings, fuck know him from CNN. You know him, you hate him, And he's a hack. He's a fool. He mindlessly regurgitates whatever talking points he gets sent from the White House, including blatant disinformation. So I expect nothing better from him. But i'd like, I do hope that this disaster makes the Axios and some of other news outlets. They kind of cut and paste whatever to some senior administration official told them, whether it's Jared Kushner or the Press Office or whomever, just help, like, rethink how you're doing your job, because I get the journalism is very competitive. I get that reporters are battling for every mini scoop these days. But at best you look silly. At worst, uh, you are upon in oil market manipulations, right, This happens every Sunday. And then ultimately you're pumping out this information to the entire world. Like I remember, economies in Southeast Asia like have stopped because they have no oil and gas and so on. The question of where do we stand on a deal, I don't know, Like one the deal was off, the deal was on. We're on the cusp of a deal. Then we're bombing the Iranians again. Trump just said he talked directly with a Hesbola representative. You guys see that today.
Speaker 3: That's new, that's interesting, And then said and said that that Hesbela and Israel they're cool.
Speaker 2: There's a far and Lebanon. Now the Iron talks are proceeding quickly. Then then I was like, no, what are you talking about? So who knows?
Speaker 1: I also, I mean, you tell me, Tommy. But like, I don't think that all the pre spinning of what the deal is going to include from the White House is actually helping the negotiations that much, and in fact maybe hurting them, because every time they get close to a deal then and Around's probably thinking, okay, like we're gonna do this, maybe you know, And then Trump goes out and is like, we destroyed them. We got the best deal ever, we got everything we ever wanted. And then the Iranians are probably like, well, fuck no, I'm not gonna do this.
Speaker 2: Now. Trump is gonna have to give on something, whether it's you know, the duration of the deal, like sanctions relief, unfrozen assets, something, but he refuses to look weak. He doesn't want to look like he gave a jcpoa like agreement to the Iranians. So you're right, I mean, he it sounds like his staff are kind of giving. And then he goes out and says, actually, no, we're going to take the dust to We're going to not give him any money, like all the reports are bullshit and running it's okay, okay, fuck you then yeah.
Speaker 3: I felive there's two things happening. One is what an actual deal will ultimately look like, if there is one, and then there's how Trump, how the Trump administration talks about the deal, and then what's reported. This has been This has been sort of the media has been getting led around by Trump from when Vance went to Pakistan, because Vance goes to Pakistan, and then within tweight within you know, eight hours, twelve hours, the reports are stalemate talk and it talks at an impasse, talks are falling apart.
Speaker 1: There haven't really been talks.
Speaker 3: And we've spent the next last several weeks having deal falls apart, verge of a deal. Deal falls apart, verge of a deal, when what would be happening in a normal administration is the long grinding negotiation of a complicated deal in which which there gives and takes and and like you know, and and and puts and whatever. And instead it's the kind of through the Trump prism. And so all these outlets are hearing, i guess, from the administration officials from who knows, saying we're on the verge of a deal. They report that out faithfully, and then it falls apart. The very next day, the reality of there will be hopefully there will be a deal. It will look something like the jcpo A, and then Trump will declare it the best, the best deal in history. Like one hopes that that's what will eventually get to and then this all this up and down shit will have just been sort of like silly Trump chaos on the way there.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess I think.
Speaker 2: What's triggering the hell out of me though, is like, ultimately, like there will be reporting on that will value with the merits of any deal, but that deal could have been gotten without a disastrous war that led to the deaths of thousands of our onions, the service members, the entire economy. And it's like, I'm not worried about this table losing that context. I am worried about the broader media like helping Trump sell a deal by like doing this constant incremental reporting by retweeting, you know, Scott Jennings saying this is a win for the Trump administration, et cetera. It's like, no, this is a disaster, no matter what happens next.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because the honest thing to report on this or if you were some kind of a conservative pundit, the honest thing to even say is glad it's over now. But that wasn't worth it, and not in exactly those words, but like that is the tenor of whatever deal we're going to get, is that, like there's no way we came out better than we started.
Speaker 3: Because the even like just on the on uranium enrichment, what I saw over the weekend early today was what was on the table was a twenty year moratorium, which is what up from the ten year moratorium. So that you claimed you this was the worst deal in history. Your deal is just a slightly longer timeline on one piece of it with other concessions. That was their starting position, and they worked down to fifteen Maybe it's even who knows, who knows, but it's just like obvious like that he is just there will be a hard If there's a deal, it will be a deal that isn't some amazing victory for Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: He'll call it that.
Speaker 3: He'll get his twenty four hours to say that, and then we'll live with the consequences of having fought the stupid fucking war.
Speaker 2: Podze of America is brought to you by article Article makes it effortless to build a home that lasts without the boutique markup. They're curated collections of mid century, coastal and scandy furniture, or designed to mix and match perfectly so you can create a cohesive, designer look that will stand the test of time. We got a bunch of great Article stuff here at the office. We have chairs, we have desks and couches. I mean we have bought so many things from them at this point that I have lost count. It's all super high quality. It looks good, it's comfortable, it all holds up for a very long time. Highly recommend it. An Article offers fast, affordable shipping across the US and Canada, with options for professional delivery if you prefer a hands off experience. If you have a question or need help with your design choices, Article's customer care team is available seven days a week, offering knowledgeable support and even free interior design services to help you with your home and get it just right. With articles thirty day satisfaction guarantee, you can shop with confidence knowing that if you're not completely in love with your new furniture, you can easily return it. This peace of mind ensures you can invest in your home without hesitation. Article is offering our listeners fifty dollars off your first purchase of one hundred dollars or more. To claim it, visit article dot com slash crooked in The discount will be automatically applied to check out. That's article dot com slash crooked for fifty bucks off your first purchase of one hundred dollars or more.
Speaker 1: Pod Dave America is brought to you by ag One. Summer is for letting things slide a little. That's the point. But there's one easy thing that takes thirty seconds and covers your bases no matter what the season throws at you. One scoop plus eight ounces of one every morning ag one. Ag one is a daily health drink with a multi vitamin pre and probiotics, superfoods and antioxidants, one scoop eight ounces of water. The next Gen formula delivers seventy five plus ingredients and is designed to support gut health, help fill common nutrient gaps, and promote improve nutrient levels over time, late nights, long weekends, spontaneous plans, life happens. Ag one helps you keep one thing consistent, high quality nutritional support every single day, no matter where you start your morning, you're like an ag one person.
Speaker 2: I'm a SCOOPI day guy. I am I'm a big smoothie for breakfast person because it's super fast and easy and you can figure out exactly what goes in it. It's a pain to put a bunch of greens in your smoothie, like buy spinach or whatever. No, thank you, you don't need to do that. You just get ag one. It gets all of the superfoods you need, all the veggies, all the everything more ingredients and whatever that you would have put in by yourself, and it tastes good. I love ag One.
Speaker 1: Visit drinkag one dot com slash Cricket to get a free morning Person hat and free ag one flavors ampler and your welcome kit with your first ag one subscription an eighty two dollars value. That's drinkag one dot com slash Crooked. And if I see you in a free Morning Person hat, I will punch you in. As you're listening to this, voters in Iowa and California are voting in some very consequential elections. Let's start with Iowa, where State Representative Josh Turk and State Senator Zach Walls are in a tough primary fight for the state's open Senate seat, which will be hugely important. This one has become yet another meta commentary on Chuck Schumer and the d SEC trying to influence key primaries, in this case in favor of Turrek. Schumer hasn't publicly endorsed Turk, but his like aligned pack has contributed, so his Jillibrands he was, you know, it's reported that he was sort of a Schumer recruit, much to Turk's dismay. Yeah, you should end indoors Walls, Tommy. You interviewed both Turk and Walls on the show for people just catching up. What are each of them bringing to the table. What were your general impressions?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean so Joshturk, he's a state rep in Western Iowa and Council Bluffs. He was born with spina bifida, uses a wheelchair. He's a two time Paralympic gold medal winner in wheelchair basketball. And he's just like his life story, he's just an incredibly gritty, determined guy. Like he got cut from the men's team six times before he actually won the gold medal. He just kept coming back and come back and competing, and like there's videos of him he literally like climbs out of his wheelchair, climbs up the stairs with his hand, drags a wheelchair up after him, and then knocks on doors like that's how he goes door to door. So like gritty dude clearly benefiting from being Schumer's pick and an associated nine million dollars vote vets ad by that has drastically increased his name ID because no one knew who any of these guys were. And then Zach is a member. Zach wall is a member of the Iowa State Senate. He's from Iowa City. He was sent a minority leader for a couple of years. Our listeners probably saw him speak in twenty eleven, even though they don't remember it or knew it was him at the time. He was a nineteen year old. He delivered a speech asking Iowa legislators not to pass a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage and civil unions that went super viral back in what twenty eleven, And it was a great speech, really powerful speech, like super charges his career. So I interviewed both. I liked him both a lot. Everyone seems to think that Josh is likely to win. A lot of people I know who work in Iowa politics think he is more electable because he's one and more conservative parts of the state. The what's gonna take on Congressman Ashley hints in for Jony Ernstie because she's resigning, and no matter who wins, Iowa is like ground zero for politics this next cycle, because you got Rob sand who could be the next governor, you have this open Senate seat, and then there's like three competitive House races, a bunch of other state wide things. So like Iowa is absolutely crucial. So this was one we're gonna be watching going forward.
Speaker 1: I will say that I've been impressed by both of them, by both Josh Turk and Zach Walls. And you know, some of these Senate primary fights are particularly intense, and I know this one is two I do not, Like I was kind of joking about Josh hurt, probably wishing that Schumer didn't spend some pack money on him or necessarily recruit him. But like, I think that I understand why wall is. You know, Walls has tried to make this a race about sort of an outsider versus the establishment, as Turk is the establishment. I kind of think that, like, you know, Turk being picked by Chuck Schumer is not quite the same as Turk being part of the establishment or the establishment spending money on him. Like a lot of the money that spent on him, his vote vets. So it's like it's not, at least for me, it doesn't worry me that he's some establishment pick necessarily. I feel like the case for that isn't as strong as in some of these other cases. But I also, like, you know, Zach Wallas was in here too. I thought he was very compelling as well, So I like both of them, love it anything.
Speaker 2: I think, Look, there's some races where being seen as like the Schumer guy, the DC guy, I think has been a real cross to bear. I think that happened in Nane, which we'll talk about in a second. I just don't think it's been that in Iowa as much this time, in part because this vote that's by has been so big and so significant and helping push Josh Ford. Also, he's a known quantity in western Iowa. I think he's ever been worked in DC. Yes, so I think it's harder to lay that on him. But we'll see.
Speaker 1: We should also say that for people wondering the reason that votes vote Vets is spending money on him is not because he's a veteran, but his father was in Vietnam and potentially exposed to Agent Orange, and that's why they think Josh has spined a bit. But also I think vote Vetts is seen as doing Tchumor's political getting here also true, also true. All right, let's turn to California. The big race, of course, is the Jungle primary for governor. We have covered the campaign a lot. In between us. We've interviewed Tom Steyer, Katie Porter, and Matt Mahon. We also reached out over a dozen times to the apparent frontrunner, Javier Bsera, and even though they expressed interest, they unfortunately wouldn't commit to a time. Okay, same question for each of you who'd end up supporting him?
Speaker 5: Why?
Speaker 1: And uh who else did you like? If this were a ranked choice voting, who might you support?
Speaker 2: After that?
Speaker 1: Well, my ballot still hasn't been filled down.
Speaker 3: I'm still gettable, I'm still gettible. I am going to vote for time Ston because I would like to see if Psara, if the polls are to be believed, and they've been pretty consistent. Psara is going to move on one other will There's a chance Tom Steyer can be that second person. I would much rather have two Democrats battling it out for the future of the Democratic Party in this state than I would have Bisara versus a Republican who has not passed the threshold question of opposing Donald Trump's election lines like that, to me, is a threshold question. You could be frustrated with Democrats in the state. You can believe that Democrats have fucked up in California, but if you can't say that Donald Trump lost that election, if you can't stand up to him, then that is so fucking dangerous, and he's a nut for that. So that's where I'm at. I also really liked my conversation with Tom Steyer. I think he had good answers for some of the questions about where Democrats have gone wrong in California and some of the criticisms. I also really like Katie Porter, but she just hasn't risen to the top of the polse like shekind of slowly fell behind, And I think it sucks because I really like her, But I'm trying to be pragmatic with my vote.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I missed. So if I could wave a magic wand and make some governor, would be Katie Porter. But she is down in the polls, and I'm having the same I have the same rationale. I want to vote strategically because I think Styre and Beisarah going to a runoff would be great. It would kind of be annoying if we had to deal with, you know, running in Steve Hilton, who's a random British short king who's like deep in the tech community. I think it's tights a problem, but the uh, I do love that that triggers you of all the all the criticies, but like, I also love that Steve Hilton and Chad Bianco are calling on each other to drop out still even though Hilton is like crushing Bianco and Trump is endorsed Hilton. But that's where I was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would if I were doing range choice, I would be Katie number one, no question, because that that's that's who that's before.
Speaker 1: But that's not the world we live in. I had a real hard time with this, and I voted a couple of days ago. I uh, I had California is a big state with the it's hard to govern a lot of problems. I don't really feel I would think I thought about Bassarah, but like I don't feel confident giving the top job to someone who's had he said, thirty five years in elected office to prove himself, but has received mainly bad reviews from his colleagues and the one execut especially in the one executive job that he's had, which was HHS secretary under Biden, and you know, just an exim like I think his housing policy, which was also like he's very late to introduce any kind of housing policy whatsoever until after ballots dropped, and then even then it was like more Nimbi than Styr or Porter or anything else. And now like I hope I'm wrong, and if he wins, then like great, maybe he'll be a great governor. But I was like, I just it prevented me from from voting Besarah Stier, like I'm more confident in Stire. But even then, like on the experience question, there is just something for me. It was like the combination of he's never had any experience in elected office or governing anything and is a billionaire who basically like you know, ran for president first flamed out there then spent just the GDP of a small country on this race, and like, I think he hit like I like his positions better than Bassara and a lot of the other candidates. But I'm just like, there's just something a little icky to me about it. And I am not as worried if it's Steve Hilton versus Bassara or Styr because the state's registration is going to take care of itself, and there's just I just I'm it's not a concern I have that Steve Hilton's going to become governor. So I just voted for Katie Porter because I like her, and it's like I realized that she has it is the least strategic head. It is the least strategic thing I could do. But Katie to me is like like I've known her a while. The temperament with her staff stuff is obviously like it bothered me a lot because like we've known her forever and I actually didn't know that until those stories came up. And I also don't think she's gonna win at this point, But I'm like, who do I want to be governor? She's thought about the job a lot. She has like a really well fought out policy platform. She's actually worked on passing legis and getting things done when she was in Congress, and I feel like she's just like done the work for the job more than anyone else.
Speaker 3: But if you would rather Tom, I feel the same way, But I would rather like as of right now, and I want to talk to Javierbasara if he's willing now, Like I think Javierbasia has said he wants to come on the show, but he's hoping that he and Hilton get through the other side, right And then of course we're doing an interview about a Democrat versus a Republican, which is very different than a conversation about a Democrat versus a Democrat.
Speaker 1: But as of right now, I think Tom.
Speaker 3: Stier has answered some of the harder questions better than Javier Bisarah. And if Sarah, I'm voting for him, and if I'm trying to get the best, because I believe you don't think I don't think Hilt's gonna be governor of the state. I want the best person to be the governor of California, and right now, if there's I want to see, and maybe also Pisarah having to beat Tom Starr would make him a stronger candidate too. So that's that's my kind of hope that we can get Tom Stire through this thing so that we have a better debate on howvier Sarah has to be put through his paces if he is going to win.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do feel like, you know, as sort of blah as this race has been for governor, I am very open and hopeful that both like that either Stire or Sarah will prove me wrong and become a great governor. And you're right, maybe if it's be Sarah and Steyer and a runoff, then there's even more time for them to duke it out and show their show that they're ready for the job. We also got a mayoral race going on here in La Love It. Interviewed challenger Nythia Rahman for the show who we all know and I supported Nythia donated to her, known her a long time. We also reach out to Karen Bass, who has come on the show before, but she opted not to come on before the primary. Nythia and Bass are in a close race with reality TV personality turned mayoral candidate Spencer Pratt, a registered Republican quasi endorsed by Trump, who said, I like him. I hear he's mag I like them, And Pratt was in New York over the weekend closing the campaign.
Speaker 4: Like this, Then, even testing your drugs on a dog is the least of the worst of what these demons are doing to these poor animals. They're lighting them on fire, They're raping these dogs, they're abusing them, they're breeding them to the point that they die because they've been so overbred.
Speaker 1: Sir, this is a Wendy's.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't doubt that there's horrible things happening to animals in some of these places, but what is It's very weird that he decided to go to New York for several days, I think, dropped thirty four thousand dollars on his hotel rooms, and left the state the week before the election.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's billboards all around, or at least I saw. I think I saw these two in downtown LA of him saying, if you're you know dogs, vote for Spencer Pratt. So he's trying to make this like the closing thing. Whatever reason they think this is something that's going to break through for them, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I just think of this race, what do you think of that.
Speaker 3: Apparently Spencer Prat has already sold the rights to do a reality show if if he becomes the mayor. Here's Here's I think this applies to both the governor's race and to the LA Mayor's race, which is when you watch the debates, there is a and like Steve Hilton, Bianco pet Pratt, they are capturing what is a very real frustration with democratic governance in this state, with mismanagement, with a kind of fecklessness and lack of emotion and passion for good government and making shit work work better, work faster, like answer people's concerns. I don't think the answers that these Republicans are offering, or that Spencer Proud are offering are what we need. But the fact that there's an opening speaks to the failure of Democrats, both on policy but also just as candidates to rise to the to meet what is like real and deep frustration with people in Los Angeles. They are all Democratic voters, for almost all Democratic voters, and they have real anger about what they feel is the decline in Los Angeles. Now. Like I think Nithia uh cares deeply about the city. I think that she is thinking hard about how to actually address these issues. I think what has been a challenge in both in that debate. I think with her on the campaign trail is you know, when I talked to her, she made this point which I really resonated with me that like, there's this feeling when you talk about Karen Bassik, where's the energy, Where's the hunger, Where's like the speed, where's the sense of urgency rights? That was about the fires, but every everything else, and I wanted to see more of that from Nythia, And to be honest, I feel like as a candidate she hasn't shown the same kind of spirit that she's promising to bring if she becomes mayor. But I do think that she has thought a lot about how to address her housing issues. She's thought a lot about what is has allowed production to leave Los Angeles. I am voting for Nythia, and my hope is that bass and Nythia make it out of the primary so that the two of them can go head to head and then I think that'll be like a great contest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'm full disclosure. I'm a Nythia donor, mostly because your wife asked me to be. But I voted for Nythia too at the reason I'm mad about the status quo too, Like I share a lot of Spencer's rage about the fires, especially the communications issues after the fires are during the fires. I don't think he's the answer to those problems, but I share his anger at the frustration and the problem. It wasn't just that Mayor Bass was out of the country when the fire started, although that was extremely bad and kind of in my view, was hard to forgive. But it's I think hard to overstate how bad the communication was from the city during that period and how scared it was to live here when the sun would go down and the winds would pick up and you'd lie in bed being like, am I endangering my children by sticking around the city? You know, like that's where people's heads were, and there was just like the communication wasn't just bad. Remember that night when there was like four mistaken like fake amber alerts telling people who evacuate when they didn't need to, right, Like that shit is unforgivable. So that is why I voted for change. But if we're being honest, like I do, think Nithias has struggled in this race. She has struggled to articulate like clearly what she would do. She seems to struggle to connect with voters on the campaign trail, and then the debate was quite bad. Like Spencer Pratt I think defined her as like a co incumbent at the debate and she didn't seem like a challenger. And so if she makes the runoff, and I really hope she does, she's got a lot of work to do to get things back on track and to you know, run a lot harder against whoever her opponent is and take back that kind of like insurgent like I'm not the status quot message.
Speaker 1: It has seemed to me like in this race, we've ended up with three archetypes of Canada. It's that we see across the country and have for the last like decade now, which in Bass you have someone who's very much establishment along with all of the lack of energy that comes with that, and she's kind of just, you know, exactly like you know, running around bragging that like we've reduced homelessness by seventeen percent, and everyone's like walking around and you can see like seventeen percent and doesn't look like seventeen percent, And is that a big number? And has also been more nimbiyond housing, has sort of gutted a lot of the housing reforms or hasn't pursued them, hasn't been a great communicator, and you know, is just kind of in the job and doesn't communicate well or a lot. And then in Nythia you have someone who was like she this is like what I was just saying about Katie Porter, right, who has really thought about these issues, who I think is a wonderful public servant and I think could be a really good public servant, but like has not met the sort of performance for late requirements of a candidate. And it is unfortunate that you can't just be ready to be good at the job and be really smart and into the policy and stuff like that, and that you also need to perform. But we've said this a million times on this show forever, like that's what you need. And we also have like a lot of Democrats like that across the country. And then in Pratt you have someone who, when there is democratic governance and a person in power does not fix the problems that an area is facing. It is fairly easy for a right wing populist who's good at getting attention and no one's better at getting attention than a reality TV star to come in and tell everyone, yes, you are pissed, I'm pissed too, and if you elect me, then you can like stick it to the people in charge. Even though his plans are not just cruel, they're just stupid and that he can't do them. They're against the law, Like he doesn't have the power to do a lot of the shit he's talking about. He's just making a bunch of fucking, you know, empty promises that he's not going to be able to fulfill if he wins. But no one cares about that. People care about like, Okay, he's angry and I'm angry and that's enough.
Speaker 3: It was so cool Wrinititia just like you know what, fuck it and drove down and said I'm gonna run for mayor. And that was it was so exciting because it was like, you know what, she's nobody else is stepping up. People, no one, everyone is frustrated with Karen Bass. There's a collective judgment that Karen Bass just like just didn't bring u like the the energy and direction that the city needs. And she's going to jump in and be the one to do it. And I've wanted that same energy in the campaign but just hasn't been there, like with Bass, Like you know she I when I talked to her, I love her. Leave it. A couple of weeks right before she came out, she she ran claiming she was not going to be an MB. She put out some housing policies that were pretty good, but then they got watered down through consensus.
Speaker 1: Also sounds like what the Sarah did.
Speaker 3: Right and then you and then she comes out against SB seventy nine because that's what the city council is doing. U took her years to put to put in charge somebody to make someone the bizarre of filming and in La right like she's.
Speaker 1: Just built deputy may for housing and so like that that to me, And you know, part of.
Speaker 3: Why I think the campaigning does matter and why we why I think I want to see Nithiap be a stronger candidate and a stronger campaigner is because in this moment, like in our in politics today, how you campaign showing that you can do it. That's a big part of what it is to be a mayor, like someone who's gonna be out there every day, like hitting the message someone's going to be like making news all the time, showing people what you're doing, showing people what matters, right, Like, it's not just about a kind of performance.
Speaker 1: It's not just a show.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, I will say there's been a ton of uh, you know, commentary on this race and analysis people talking about it. I have no fucking idea what's going to happen because it knows what this selector looks like. I know it's just And for people who don't know LA, it is fifteen percent registered Republican right, And so even if you know Spencer Patten, some of these polls is getting like twenty percent away, between twenty and even as high as thirty percent, that's still like nowhere what you'd need to win a general election, certainly, and maybe not even to advance in the primary. Also, the way LA is set up, Santa Monica has its own Like if you're in Santa Monica or West Hollywood or Beverly Hills or Pasadena, like you're not voting for mayor of LA.
Speaker 2: A lot of people think they're proud voters, and then they're going to get to the polls and figure out that they're not eligibly going to be very.
Speaker 1: They're in LA County. It could end up so he could either surprise us and do really well, or it could be this election where just a bunch of people who don't pay attention to politics at all in other parts of LA just like dutifully vote for Karen Bass or Nithia, Like I just I don't know, so pretending that I know what's going to happen, it is.
Speaker 2: Just yeah, crazy, It's just it is an interesting window into just sort of the zeitgeist of the electric I mean, where there is an anti incumbent rage across the country right now, but we're in California state where there's all democratic governance, and so Spencer Pratt is from channeling that in a different direction. It's interesting to see. It's also interesting the way he is kind of exposing the incoherence of the MAGA and the MAHA agenda. Like I remember when they were very mad about the COVID vaccine, and now Spencer Pratt is like, I will take all the drug addicts and I will lock them up for five days or whatever and force them into treatments Like oh okay, well that's different than the freedom agenda that we were talking about under Robert f NN you But okay, well they don't.
Speaker 1: Well the way it's a freedom for me.
Speaker 2: Not for the not for them.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you guys are excited or looking into any other races in California, But Michael Tubbs for Lieutenant governor, remember Crooked contributor and Form Cricket guests is running for the lieutenant governor. Love Michael and and her buddy Jake Levine is running against Brad Sherman Congress from Brad Sherman in the California thirty second which is Palisades and upwards towards Zino in that area. So yeah, and that's why we're giving him a good challenge.
Speaker 3: And the hope they're right is that that he can keep Sherman because Sherman is well known in that district and is expected to like sort of a and old.
Speaker 2: He's old.
Speaker 1: But if Jay can get it to keep him under fifty and then they can go on to a Oh one other thing for people watching the returns, A lot of Democrats, including John Lovett here, have held onto their ballots till the very end, and California is always notoriously late in counting ballots and so it's a high probability that this will have a red mirage in the voting as the returns come in. Especially this year, someone did a party breakdown. I think it was Galen Druke that in twenty twenty two the final party breakdown was fifty percent d twenty nine point five percent are nineteen point nine percent other right now, the party breakdown and the ballots that have come in, and this is like election day basically forty five point nine percent, thirty three point five percent, twenty point six percent, So it's already like it's it's off. And so the first ballots that are gonna be countered the ones that are already in, and so now the electric could also be more red. But I am I am already worried about the Spencer Pratt and who knows. Donald Trump could jump into and be like we won and then suddenly we're being overtaken as the ballots are counted later in the week. So everyone should prepare for that.
Speaker 3: One possibility I think is like pretty high on the list of possibilities is on election at you have Biserah one, Hilton two. Now for a couple of days, it goes with Sarah Styre, and then all of a sudden, Hilton is saying, I was knocked out by the Denver machine.
Speaker 2: The good news is yeah, that message I think will resonate nationally. I think California voters are pretty well conditioned. How stupid and long it takes us to count ballots. I wish it was faster, but this.
Speaker 3: This is like the whole thing. It's like, that's how it is in California. We do it the stupidest way fucking possible. Why why every other states can count ballots in a couple of days. Why does it take here to weeks?
Speaker 1: Fucking stupid. I think it's all the mail, right, because if you can, if you can drop it in a mailbox on June second, on the day of the primary, then like it takes at least a couple of days for the mail to get it. Yes, but then that is not still long, still keeps going. But there's all there's some built in just because of them. Of course, it's what you gotta get rid of, those mail in ballots. Like Trump says, thank.
Speaker 2: God we have mail in ballots. Our ballot is very long. It's compare lots of things so long. Search there's lots of positions you've never heard of. It's very thank God for them. But mail.
Speaker 3: Positive America is brought to you by a zip recruiter.
Speaker 2: According to this copy here, report by see NBC indicates that almost half of all hiring managers view a candidate's enthusiasm is the single most important element when evaluating them for a position.
Speaker 1: You don't want the enthusiasm gap, Yeah, I guess you.
Speaker 2: Don't want them to enthusiasts. You don't want to like breaking in your office. I guess you don't want them falling asleep. Yeah, there's someone climates like World War zeeing into the place. If you need to hire for your business, how can you separate the candidates who are really excited about your opportunity from the ones who are just mi ZipRecruiter. ZipRecruiter has a new feature that quickly lets you see the most interested qualified candidates first, so you meet the right people faster, and now you can try it for free at ZipRecruiter dot com slash crooked. Zipprecruiter's new feature puts the most interested qualified candidates at the top of your list. Ziprecruiters smart matching technology connects you with qualified candidates instantly. Candidates can tell you in their own words why they're interested in your job. No wonder. ZipRecruiter is the number one rated hiring site based on G two. We've used ZipRecruiter a bunch of times here at Cricket. It has helped us find great applicants fast. It really shrinks down the time that the whole process takes. We found and hired some great people. We highly recommend. It's just a great experience. Use ZipRecruiter and find enthusiastic talent fast. Four out of five employers who posted on ZipRecruiter get quality candidates within the first day. Now you can try it for free at ZipRecruiter dot com, slash crooked that ZipRecruiter dot com slash crooked. Meet your match on ZipRecruiter.
Speaker 1: We also had more news over the weekend in the main Senate race, where Graham Plattner is likely to win the nomination in next week's primary. Stories in The New York Times in The Wall Street Journal reported that as his campaign began last year, Platner's wife, Amy Gertner, told a campaign staffer that Platner had exchanged sexual messages with several women, and this was after Plattner and Gertner were married in late twenty twenty three, but that they had stopped before the campaign began, and Platner and Girtner had gone through therapy. The entire situation is very messy. The staffer that Platner's wife told Genevieve McDonald has since left the campaign, and and she was the one who originally talked to the Wall Street Journal, and she's talked to the New York Times, and she's become a public critic of Platner. Plattner said that at least some of what McDonald told the New York Times wasn't true, but both he and his wife, Amy Gertner, and the campaign have all confirmed the existence of the messages. And then Janet Mills, who suspended her campaign in April, said in an interview on Sunday that actually she's still on the ballot. And she also just posted the first tweet from her campaign account since the tweet where she suspended her campaign, and it was a happy Pride Month tweet. Well that's sort of neither here nor there. I tried try or don't. Yeah, yeah, you can't half run for office.
Speaker 2: Come on what are you doing here?
Speaker 1: Well, you could make the argument that she kind of half ran.
Speaker 2: In the first sation of the status quoes.
Speaker 1: All right, what do you guys think about this latest development and how it might impact the race?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think the main risk for Platiner is the cumulative impact of these stories and scandals along with the reddits, because I think main voters were I have shown to be quite willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for the past reddit posts and accept his explanation that I was in a bad place, this happened in the past. I've grown, I've changed and moved on. You know. I think voters like, Okay, we get that this latest what are we calling it sexting scandal like just stuff was very recent. We're talking like twenty twenty three, and so I think these days sexual allegations of where it's just infidelity or infidelity adjacent like don't tend to be campaign ending, especially when Amy Gertner said this is a private matter, we worked through it, I love him, I have a great marriage, etc. But I do worry that the cumulative nature of this stuff might make voters think one like, is this guy good guy? And two what else do we not know about him? And so I think Plattner's campaign can weather this. They will likely weather this. I would recommend less criticism of the media for covering the story thin it's a valid story to cover, and.
Speaker 1: The New York Times and Wall Street Journal ultimately got the story right.
Speaker 2: Right, And I would just say, you know, I think you have to own it. You have to own that this was shitty behavior. It was a mistake that we've moved that the two of them have worked through privately, and then in a few days from now, that's when you sort of pivot to the message about getting back to issues, because that's right, that's is what voters want to talk about. But there's going to be a period of time where folks talk about this because it just broke. And I think you can't scold the press for covering a thing that was valid enough that your spouse brought it forward to your campaign staff to talk to them about, so you know, it's fair game. Obviously, if Susan Collins was slinging nudes on Snapchat, like, we'd be talking about it, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So by the fault we might be we uh sorry, all that said, like, I do think what plants got that hammer and sickle tattoo too, Jenevieve McDonald, the former Platner staffer, did here is really shitty on a human level.
Speaker 2: It's unethical. If I were Amy Girdner, I would be furious, and so you know that part of it's pretty gross.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like if it Canada just had the Reddit stories, like I was going through a really tough time in my life and I posted some heinous shit. It was like and I regret it, but I've been through a lot of therapy. It had to do with my PTSD and I'm on the other side of it. You'd be like, okay, Like people grow and they change the tattoo. You'd say, this was stupid tattoo. I didn't understand what it meant at the time. I'm covering it up, Like, Okay, early in my marriage, I was really I was in a really shitty place and I was having these I was I don't know what he was doing, sexting whatever. But my wife and I have worked through it and it's a private matter. She's with We're together because we love each other, and that's all that should really count. You'd say Okay, I feel like you add them all up together, and then there's all these insinuations that there's more coming, more coming, more coming. You see why people would be concerned. What I find like sort of hard about my mind abound this is that, like why do we care about red flags? Right?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 1: All these are not What kind of center is he gonna be?
Speaker 3: Is he a good person? Does he have our values? Does he have a good character at root? Or is he a flawed person who's made terrible mistakes who's trying to become a better person. Or is the insinuation that all of this adds up to evidence that he will be a bad senator who's actually not going to do the things he is claiming he's going to do, That he's going to be a fetterman, right, that he's gonna disappoint us in some way, that he has like fundamental flaws And I don't know the answer to that. What I'm amazed by is how many kind of active, hyper engaged democrats online who would do shape how we talk about these things, claim to know with such certainty about this, right like they know they know, and they're so shocked that other people don't agree with them, and I I'm not a main voter, but a lot of this is do you think he's a bad person? Do you think that he's going to lose because of these stories? Which is just another way of saying you think the voters of Maine will think he's a person of bad character.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but I just I find that it's a lot of people kind of fighting over not whether or not Graham Plattner is going to do the things he says he's going to do, and it's the person he claims to be now more kind of re litigating their arguments and anger at the factions of the party that they're always in dispute with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was in thinking about this. I was trying to separate out like my personal feelings about this with like my political analysis of what it means. And personally it's like, you know, I think infidelity is a mistake and it shows poor judgment. I also for me, it's like it's not a deal breaker if a candidate with past infidelity issues has worked through those with their spouse to their spouse's satisfaction, which is the case here. It's like still not great, but it's not a deal breaker if it's a deal breaker for other people. I don't judge that either, Like you make your own determinations. I think in terms of like the timeline when everything happened, it is very clear to me, and I think it's probably clear to everyone now that Graham Platner did not think he was going to be a candidate for office up until the minute he was a candid for office and lived his life accordingly, and probably you know, other people say, well, I didn't make mistakes like he did, and I didn't get that kind of debt too correct, right, Like he he lived his life not thinking he would ever be a candidate for public office, and then he ran for office, and then they were like, all right, what's in the past, and all the stuff's coming out, including at the time he decided to run for office, these messages which his wife brought up to the campaign. So again, all of the accusations and all the stories about Platner have been from about behavior and things he did before he started running for office, right, And so for me, I think, okay, the whole like I've changed and I have grown. It's not about like I was a kid and did crazy things. It was I was never going to run for office, and now I'm running for office and I'm trying to be your senator. So what kind of senator are you going to be?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Politically, my analysis of this is you're right that like these things start stacking on top of each other, and I think that the larger issue for people becomes trust, right because and this is where the is more going to come out? Or why didn't the campaign, Like first of all, some people like, why didn't the campaign tell us this if they knew this. I don't think campaigns are necessarily in the business of dumping all of the opposition research they do on their own candidate.
Speaker 2: It's not incredibly personal, painful stuff.
Speaker 1: Right into the public like that doesn't usually happenly.
Speaker 3: Not on this one.
Speaker 1: She came up, Hey, just so you know, this is something that happened in our past.
Speaker 2: But we're good.
Speaker 3: It's on an issue, we're together, we're happy. That is never of course they don't come up. That's a private manner.
Speaker 1: Right, But I think that Look Andrew Kaczinski on the tattoo story, like who's reporting I trust a lot and is a very good reporter, has the you know, the story that maybe Platner knew what the tattoos signified sometime after he got up up before he ran and that, and you know, Platner's been a little sort of sketchy on just explaining that, and now this one, it was like, well, I think that she she told the you know, she lied to the Times, and the time story wasn't right, but it was. So there is this What I worry about and what I think about if I was them, is like, there is a trust issue now that could become a bigger trust issue. And I do think that the campaign and Platinum might think these issues don't matter or they're private or whatever, but he has to now work to build people's trust and keep people's trust between now in November, because people, even people who like him, are going to start to question, well is he telling the full truth about everything?
Speaker 2: Is there more?
Speaker 1: Are they transparent?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 1: Like, and that to me does bear on what kind of senator you are. So I think the most important thing for them is to like go and do the work and like earn people's trust and take all the tough questions and give all the explanations you need until people are bored asking the questions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you gotta probably be a little more transparent on this one. Also, you know, I hear what you're saying on how you're sort of think about this. I don't think most people, though, draw a line when you decided to run to office for kind of like when they judge your decision making or the morality of the city. I think I think if like the tattoo is a bridge too far to you, I understand that I'm not to tell you otherwise. I mean what I you know, when I talk to him about this when we sort of they showed us the video, The thing that I always stuck with me was he took his shirt off and sang that song at his was it brother's wedding, and his sister in law is Jewish, So like you have to be a real asshole to do that and display that tattoo kind of knowing full well and being fully cognizant of what it meant at that wedding. That to me was a convincing explanation. But I've read Andrew's reporting to that maybe there's some questions at the timeline. I think that's a fully, a totally reasonable thing to wonder about. I think the threshold question is are there other things in this guy's past that suggest he ascribes to Nazi or fascist ideology? And that's where the Reddit archive is actually quite useful. Yes, is what it shows is the exact opposite. I know, right, And then that's where I think people kind of refuse to kind of engage with this broader body of factual information that we have when we want to assess what this man believes.
Speaker 1: And I will say this is why I personally and people have seen me do this online. But this is why I get more frustrated with people people's uh with people being upset at the at the tattoo thing more than if you're upset with all the old Reddit stuff and you feel like he's apologized for that, but the apology not accepted, then like that's your decision. And I understand that. If you're upset about this, this sexting scandal, then like I understand that, but you're right, the tattoo thing, the guy just posted on Reddit again like he was never running for office anonymously, has all these things that he said that he's now regretting that are some offensive whatever else. None of them even hinted that he has a subscribes to any of this kind of idea sounds like a COMMI and everyone's like Nazi. I saw it when we yeah, when we were when you were about to interview him, Tommy, and we saw the video. I was like, what's the problem. It's a skull and crossbones. Now everyone now can be like, you didn't know it was a buck and blae it was. It was a skull and crossbones. And I'm sure maybe if Andrew's story is correct, then at some point someone said to Platner, hey, that's skull and crossbones you've got. Did you know that's a Nazi tad To him, he's probably like, well, I've been screened for the Army twice and they screened tattoos for this and no one ever said anything. And I have a Jewish family. No one ever said anything. So maybe he then googled it and was like, oh, yeah it is. But again was probably like, well what do I like, I'm gonna go cover it up. I'm not, And then he does.
Speaker 2: Clearly something changed in they're thinking between when I talked to him and a couple days later. So when I talked to him, he's like, no, I did this this is the deal. It was a stupid tattoo as an infantryman, I was in Croatia, I was a dumb kid whatever, And a couple days later he got it covered up right, so like something occurred to him that oh, actually this is a real problem that I should fix it.
Speaker 3: This is where it's like to be able to sort of call him a Nazi. And it's like and then then it's like you say, well, hold on a second, Like, no one, you don't have to listen to anyone. You don't have to believe anyone, you don't have to take more information in, you don't have to have a nuanced view. You can just call somebody a Nazi if you want. The reason symbols matters is because they supposed to symbolize something, right, Like, we battle about symbols on social media because it's that's what the medium is for. It's for taking little tokens of something and drawing a conclusion about it. It's very small space, so we do it with symbols. But the symbol has to mean something. It has to be a red flag of something like do you think he's a Nazi? Of course you don't. Of course you don't you think, maybe think he's a stupid tido, maybe think he didn't care enough about it being a Nazi tattoo. That's a fair argument. Maybe he was pointed out and take it serious enough.
Speaker 1: That's okay.
Speaker 3: All of It's like just but like, can we just have an honest conversation about it rather than like it's a no for me because.
Speaker 1: Of the tattoo.
Speaker 3: It's like, okay, you're free to do that. We're just gonna We're just gonna have the rest of the conversation even if you don't want to have it.
Speaker 1: Also, the other thing, and I think ultimately here, this is up to the people of Maine, and this is up to the voters of Maine. And if this whole time he was going down and down and down and down in the polls and people and people are not buying this, and I'm like, okay, then then he shouldn't be the nominee. And like even Mills stayed in the race because she wanted to fight it out. Well, so even even Mills now saying like I'm technically still in the race and whatever, like that's fine if she wants to campaign for the last week and and if she's on the ballot. We're gonna be talking about this race on June ninth. If the people of Maine now decide that they want Janet Mills instead of Graham plattin her because of this last scandal and everything else, then like they should do that, and then then the National Party should get behind Janet Mills and will be off to November problem which she quits going to.
Speaker 3: Say because she saw the writing on the wall, because because she because she didn't want to go down in her last race, which is fine.
Speaker 1: But Planner gets a ton of votes in the primary and still does really well, then like that's what the people of Maine wanted, and they met him and they didn't, you know, it wasn't just online discourse, like they met him. So we gotta we got to kind of take the lead of the people in Maine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so there's a lot of like a, I know, we're all used to losing and being fucking losers, and we cook a loser mentality, and like a loser mentality is like I like, this is bad.
Speaker 1: We have to do something else. I'm scared.
Speaker 2: I don't like this.
Speaker 1: This is bad. I'm done with this. We can't do this.
Speaker 3: We have to do something else, and it's like, guys, he's if there, if there was someone else running, you could have a debate and maybe vote for somebody else. He's right now the only person that's kind of putting up a fight for this race. If you want to say that Janet Mill should get back in, if you want to say that he should drop out, whatever, say what you want. But really what you're saying is I'm worried he's going to lose.
Speaker 1: Well, people are so comparing to like that. Well, people push Biden out and they thought that Biden di is a thron bound like but that was the opposite because in that scenario, the whole country didn't want Biden, and Biden and his campaign were saying, yes, yes, you will get him no matter what. Well, that was this is a this is a this is a flip thing where where the voters of men are like, no, no, we like him, and then other people are worried about it. You know, it's just a different the Biden thing is. So it could come to that when people when's their minds when nobody.
Speaker 3: Was challenging Biden and Biden was the nominee, and it still seemed like there was a chance he could win. That was actually when we when we would talk about how we were concerned he wasn't addressing his age issues. But he's going to be the person, so we've got to do everything we can to help him win because he's the only person that we're going to have. Then he eats shit in that debate. Joe Biden thought he was having a stroke. Didn't tell us at the time.
Speaker 1: Okay, babe, but.
Speaker 3: But but then it was now clear that he could not win, and so it was time to do something in an emergency because it was pragmatic. It was crazy, it was it was risky, but it was actually pragmatic because it was the only hope of winning the election. Nobody can make that argument right now, based on the polls around Grand Platter.
Speaker 1: They just can't. Yeah, all right, so that's that. I'm sure we won't talk about that anymore between now. In November. One more thing we couldn't resist. Over the weekend, The New York Times published a brutal and hilarious report titled is jd Vance the twenty twenty eight front runner? Trump has questions? According to the Times, Trump is quote not so sure about Vance. Trump has pointed out that Vance's political success has largely depended on Trump's support, that Vance takes too many vacations, that Vance opposed the war in Iran, and that Vance frankly sometimes doesn't look or act very presidential. We, of course, didn't want to be unfair to JD, so we thought we'd checked the tape of some of the moments in question.
Speaker 3: Let's let's play JD budge into conversations I want to have I want to have that for at least a couple of days. Okay, okay.
Speaker 1: My wife has the right to skydippe, but doesn't jump out of.
Speaker 6: An airplane because she and I have an agreement that she's not.
Speaker 1: Going to do that, because I don't want my wife jumping out of an airplanefull. They say it's racist to do anything. I had a diet mountain dew yesterday and one today. I'm sure they're gonna call that racist too.
Speaker 3: But what is uh?
Speaker 5: This? What is Zach?
Speaker 1: You're gonna have to help me out with her name here? I lost my page here? Okay, all right now, you can't put me on the vice Press the United States.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, great, Oh my god, that's so funny.
Speaker 1: What did you guys think of the story.
Speaker 2: I love this story so much. JD Vance is just the gimpt from pulp fiction. Trump wheels them out that little box, humiliates, and puts them back in. The details are so funny, Like the man who spends one third of his time at mar a Lago thinks JD. Vance takes too many vacations. Delicious. I love that Trump thought the trophy incident that we just watched there twice was as embarrassing as we all did, and that it's just like exposed. JD is just like a phony, non sports fan loser.
Speaker 1: I love this.
Speaker 2: Susie Wiles took away JD's phone privilege and texting or tweeting like he's some you know, like her teenage son got in trouble.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: That clip of Trump scolding JD for talking and meetings and not acting like some like CCP commissar is beautiful, like they set him up they would do, like his failure tour. It was the Iran talks, the Victor orbon campaign stop uh, and Theanna Republicans trying to job owned them into redistricting failure failure failure.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: He killed Pope Francis. People forget about that, but Jade Vance was so annoying to Pope Francis. Yeah, he did get us a better pup, which who he then now you a taxi, don't be a shut up and dribbled and like ultimately, like this is a win win for Trump, right because if whoever comes next to his jd or Rubio, whoever, if they win, Trump will say that's because of me. If they lose, he'll say, can't win without Trump. Right, So he's pumped no matter what. But it is so fun watching him just just fuck with these guys.
Speaker 3: One other thing that jumped out to is, uh, the article just states it as a fact that I didn't really it wouldn't have occurred to me as a fact that Trump is just spending more time with Rubio than he is with Jade Vance because Rubio is, of course not just Secretary of Sadies, he's he's National Security advisor.
Speaker 1: And JD.
Speaker 3: Vance can't ride on the plane with Trump because he's vice president. Vice president can't go on Air Force one with the President just doesn't happen, and so he's a little bit outside of things.
Speaker 1: I will say that the like the JD. Vance his whole life just having fomo.
Speaker 3: The Yeah, the Vance probably has more power in the Trump administration than Kamala Harris did in the Biden administration. I would say, uh, like he is more actively involved. He's in the room for big decisions.
Speaker 1: I think they've given him almost as annoying jobs though, for sure, for sure, but I think they actually listen when he says.
Speaker 2: Stuff, I'm gorn that's true.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, fair enough.
Speaker 3: But I mean even though he was by the end, Vance was saying he was in favor of doing if we're going to big, big or go home, So even he tried to stand on the right side of that. But anyway, uh, I think like what Trump sees is what we see is like Vance can't help but reveal his nature.
Speaker 1: He can't help it. He can't help it.
Speaker 3: He can't go into a donut shop and be normal. He doesn't know how to talk to people because he's putting on a show. But they're like that, that like ambitious little nerd, that kind of like that that that thing inside of him, it just can't stop from coming out, and it makes everyone, including Trump, uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: And I love it. I just I just want to zoom in again on the social media part with my my Twitter pen pal jad Vance. This is what the Time says in meetings. Mister Vance frequently scrolls his phone and he uses social media to fight with his critics. The President frequently posts a truth social but he does not spend time replying to people online as mister Vance does. I just love that they have separated out the kind of poster. Yeah, like reply, guy Trump's out there. He's posting like thirty times a night. Yeah, yeah, he's he's a producer. Really, he's just putting it up, and mister Vance is there just replying to people online. Susan Wilds and the other staff have all gotten together to tell him to have an intervention and say that that the fighting was beneath his office.
Speaker 3: See I did than anyone in that fucking building is going to tell anyone what's beneath the office.
Speaker 1: And yes they do.
Speaker 5: I know that.
Speaker 2: I believe it.
Speaker 1: I know, I absolutely believe it.
Speaker 2: But they made him say it was for lent.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 1: I liked it so much. I just kept it off my phone, giving up for lent.
Speaker 2: Sure. I love that. I love that I took it off my phone.
Speaker 1: Finally, you did this weekend. I'm part of you. Yeah, it was the Plantner stuff that did it.
Speaker 2: I was like, yeah, that discourse is real.
Speaker 1: I saw starting blowing up. It was like, I'm just gonna I was going to save my thoughts for Monday. I was like, I can't have a grand Platner thing. And then and then two fights going on. Dave Portnoy tweets at me and then Nira with like five tweets.
Speaker 2: I was like, I'm done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like the quadrennial then phone quadrennial tweet review, where like, you can't be fight. You have to be able to hold one front and also win on another front at the same.
Speaker 1: But I've said this more. I was like the JD Evans thing. Yeah, I'll fight with JD Vance only no, not that this is the what I did this week.
Speaker 2: I was not good.
Speaker 1: Okay, not good. It's not fun nice to do, isn't it that? When we come back New Jersey Senator Andy Kim will talk to me about the conditions at an iced detention center in Newark, where he was also pepper sprayed by federal agents. Podze of America is brought to you by Quints. If the temperatures heat up during summer, you want pieces that feel lighter and more breathable, things that are easy but still put together. That's why I keep coming back to Quint's. They focus on high quality essentials that feel and look amazing, well made basics, but without the luxury markup. It's that rare balance where everything feels elevated but still effortless. Quin's European linen pants and shirts are the perfect warm weather upgrade to add to your rotation, starting at just thirty four dollars, Their teas are soft and easy to wear, and their lightweight cotton sweaters are perfect for cooler summer nights. Everything at Quint's is priced fifty to eighty percent less than similar brands. They work directly with ethical factories and cut out the middleman, so you're paying for quality, not brand markup. Quince goes way beyond clothing, custom upholstered soface, ceramic cookwar, premium bedding, the kind of brand you end up recommending to everyone for everything. I just got one of the lightweight cotton sweaters.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's good for you know It's it gets a little chillier at night in Nelle even with the warm in the day and so the perfect elevate your summer wardrobe. Go to quins dot com slash Crookeet for free shipping on your order in three hundred and sixty five day returns. Now available in Canada too. That's q U I n CE dot com slash Crookeet for free shipping and three hundred and sixty five day returns. Quints dot com slash Crookeet.
Speaker 2: Center.
Speaker 1: Andy Cam, welcome back to Potsa America.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thanks for having me back.
Speaker 1: So for anyone who hasn't been following the story, there's a privately run ice detention center in Newark called Delaney Hall. Around three hundred people are being held inside. Some have started a hunger strike over the conditions. You tried to visit last Sunday, were turned away, got in on Monday, Memorial Day, and then by the end of the day you got pepper sprayed by federal agent. Can you just walk us through that whole experience and what you saw.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, Well, thanks for shying a light on this because this is a problem not just for us in New Jersey, but all over this country. This is a facility it has about eight hundred right now, several hundred of them participating in the hunger sprite and the broader protests. But I has been able to go there a couple of times, and look, you know, some of the things that I've heard most recently. You know, these are people that are, for instance, a man telling me that he's got stage three lung cancer, doesn't want to be there anymore, willing to go back to his home country, but not being allowed to do so, not getting the medical care that he needs. You know, there's a pregnant woman there telling me that she's not getting the medical care that she needs as she's gearing up to have a baby. And she's literally looking me in the eye and she's saying, like, do I need to be prepared to have a baby here in Delaaney Hall? You know, she has no movement on her case, you know, no understanding what's happened next in the courts. You know. The woman that was translating this for me, you know, turned out to be an eighteen year old high school senior who's in there by herself. I actually talked to her mom outside of Delady Hall, and she's worried, sick. You can imagine, you know, having your daughter, an eighteen year old high school senior in a detention facility by herself. You know, this is a young woman who was telling me all she wanted to do is go to the prom and graduate from high school this year. And so like when Trump's telling you these are the worst of the worst, telling you that he's going after the violent criminals, you know, I wanted the people across this country to just hear what I'm hearing inside the facility. And sure they're complaining and raising the concerns about the medical care or the lack of medical care, about the you know, the horrible problems where they're having with food. Like one man ran up to me with a milk carton and showed me what was inside and it was just congealed solid on the inside and was disgusting. And you know, they're raising concerns about the extreme heat that they're feeling, and I felt it too, as I'm sweating there in their room and it wasn't even a particularly hot day. But what they were also flagging is just like the lack of any movement on their cases. I mean, some of them in there for eight months, some of them in there for over a year, not having any movement forward in any credible way. You know, one man ran to the hallway and grabbed a piece of paper off the bulletin board and you know, showed it to me. And they showed me that like on one day, you know, when courts came back in the session after the Memorial Day weekend. On one day, on that Tuesday, this one Jaws had seventy four cases before her in you know, you know, in just one day, and like you know, like I did the back of the napemath, that's like about five minutes per case. I mean, it's a farce of a legal process. That's just you know, keeping them there while you know, while these conditions are terrible, not moving anything forward. And who's paying the bill. It's us. It's a taxpayer dollars that are that are paid, you know, Geogroup, you know, millions and millions of dollars to run these facilities. So that's you know, that's that's at least what I saw inside.
Speaker 1: First of all. That is just horrific, And it seems like the delay in hearing these cases is both a function of how many people they are detaining. Clearly not the worst of the worst, but a whole bunch of other immigrants, some of whom I imagine could be here legally as well as just the sort of failure to properly resource the immigration courts with enough judges and to properly resource these facilities. Is that is that what you took away from it as well?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Absolutely, I mean, like, look, you know some of this is absolutely just a lack of investment. I mean, like where like as they're surging up ICE and CBP through the reconciliation bill and I'm you know, down here the Capitol now because they're about to try to push another you know, sixties seventy billion dollar towards the enforcement side, But where's the energy towards towards the courts. You know, we already had millions of cases of backlog that was going to take a decade or so just to be able to get through. Like we all know that we need to invest in the courts, that we can have a judicial process that can hopefully take on these cases in a matter of days and weeks rather than years or even longer. And that should you know, that backlog is what is putting so much strain on our system, and it's costing us so much. So that's part of it. But like, look, you can't help but think through I mean, like this is Geogroup. You know, for those that don't you know, may not be following this, Geogroup's a for profit company that runs this facility, runs nineteen other facility, about twenty facilities around this country in charge of detaining over twenty thousand people for ICE. You know, this is a group that you know, is just making money off of this all. They're just printing money off of this all. You know, they're getting paid by the bed, by the day. You know, so they're not certainly complaining about this process. And like when you you can't help but think like look when Tom Holman comes from Geogroup into the White House to run this process, when they just chose actually today is the first day of the new head of ICE that they just picked and it came again straight from Geogroup. You know, Like you can't help but think like this revolving door of just profiting off of this, you know, human misery. You can't help but think like this is the point that they are trying to make things so bad for the detainees there that detainees just give up and sign whatever papers that they want or whatnot, and you know, and I felt that they're like there was just so little accountability, Like as you said, I tried to get into the facility on Monday, early in the day. I tried to get in. I actually even let them know ahead of time and God approval to be able to go into the facility. That day, I show up the gates and the Geogroup guards are just like Nope, like you're not allowed in.
Speaker 1: And You're like, I'm a US Senator and I've had.
Speaker 5: This this authorization by law as well as the permission to come out. I literally had to call Secretary Mark Wayne Mullett. I talked to him and told him, like, let me inside, like I have a right to be inside. And so finally they let me inside and I go inside, and I talked to the head of Geogroup in the facility and I told him, by the way, your guards just told me that I can't come inside. And he just looked at me. He said, you're a liar. He just literally to my face called me a liar. I mean like that, I give you that, not because it was insulting to me, but I give you that because I want you to understand, like that the kinds of dynamics that there are, like that that that situation was very indicative to me of the lack of just the lack of care about any accountability or transparency, Like they don't feel geog Group, doesn't feel beholden to the American people, certainly doesn't feel beholden to Congress. And that is, you know, that is because of just this dynamic between ICE and groups like Geogroup and cour Civic and these other companies, like they're just in a world and a league of their own. They're just like operating off on their own. And because you know, Speaker Johnson and others are just giving them that kind of carblanche. They were just in some you know, in some world of their own and feel nothing, you know. And then so when I and then when I came out from that facility and was alerted by my team and the people on the ground that there was now like a standoff of people outside. So not only is there chaos inside Delaneyal, but now I come out and emerge outside and see that there's a standoff between ICE agents. You know, they have a row of ICE agents that are armed they have an armored vehicle they and they're you know, just on a standoff with the protesters there. I mean, look, you know, like my idiot concern was like this cannot become Minnesota. We saw what happened to Renee Good and Alex pretty. I was terrified that, you know, we're gonna see that type of violence and potentially bloodshed in the streets. So I was trying to figure out, like, is there any any way to be able to off ramp this. Is there any way we can be able to the lower the temperature? And I was talking to to the head of ICE outside there, and at some point he just told me, look, look, we're going to just drive these vehicles, our vehicles out And I looked across the field there and I said, like, you cannot just simply plow your vehicles through a crowd of civilians, Like you have to try to figure out, you know, how we can try to do this without the violence. And look, I was trying to see if there's any arrangement. But like again, like it shouldn't be just on me, like when it comes to de escalation, like what role are their officers supposed to play? And that's what I think was so alarming. John Is like there was just like, at some point, just a feeling of inevitable violence, and it was just so jarring to me, Like the ease with which I just went out and drove their vehicles literally through a crowd, just not even like, not even putting effort to try to avoid that circumstance. It shouldn't be that easy to have violence in the streets of America, Like, it shouldn't be that easy for federal agents that are supposed to swear the same oath that I swear about protecting and defending the Constitution and supporting the American people to find themselves in a circumstance. So it's just like, you know, I saw this unfold and immediately, you know, my instinct was to run run into it and try to put myself between the ICE agents and the crowd. I was trying to keep that physical separation because that is where we saw so much of of the violence escalate in Minnesota. If I could at least keep them physically separated, you know, perhaps we could avoid the worst. But it was, it was, it was, it was so jarring. It was it was really scary just to see that type of violence in my state, frankly anywhere in the country, and to know that, you know, this is still could very well be, you know, a problem that we see continue in my state and elsewhere.
Speaker 1: And so because you put your body in between the protesters and the ICE agents, the federal agents, eventually they started shooting pepper balls. I believe that there's one that struck by your feet, and and you know you inhaled it as well. Secretary Mullen and DHS are saying, uh, just a number of things that that don't seem to be true and certainly are not your account. That there is no hunger strike, that the complaints are about certain inmates not getting or certain people that are being held by the facility not getting their ethnic food of choice, That the conditions aren't bad, that nobody was directly struck by pepper balls. About you, what do you make of just the what they're saying about all.
Speaker 5: Of this, Well, well, first of all, just again, like I saw what I saw, Like I talked to the people, that there is a hunger strike going on inside and a larger protest, and there are certainly people that are not getting basic care, you know, like like again, they're not. They're not asking for the moon. They're they're they're asking for just a certain baseline of human dignity as as we're going, especially as we're again keeping them there for indefinite amounts of time. I mean, there was I was in the medical isolation area and there was a man there in a wheelchair. He hadn't left that room in four months because like that facility is just not meant to handle someone with a wheelchair. So they're like, you're stuck in this room now, like you know, and like not able to go to go and leave. He was like, can I at least be at a hospital? And frankly, look, there was actually someone who was sent to a hospital, a woman that was sent to a hospital for quite for no, quite a number of days. By the time I got there was like day twelve or fourteen. The family didn't even know where this woman was because Ice wouldn't tell her what hospital that she was at because of security concerns. So you can't tell them where your hospital, which hospital you're at. They can't tell them the nature of the you know, the severity of the problem that she had to be at a hospital. I mean, she was there for like twelve to fourteen days. That's a significant amount of time in a hospital and the family has no idea they can't visit them. And so I asked, like, like what can the family do to learn about this? And literally, like it breaks my brain thinking about this. Like Ice looked me in the eye and said, Oh, the family can foil this information. You know, just like thinking to myself, like what, like their family member could be in some life threatening situation at the hospital and you want them to foida this information about their loved one life. That's like the just the craziness of this. So like when you know, when Secretary of Malin or others say this, you know they're just in like damage control mode. They saw what happened in Minnesota when the American people actually saw what was happening, and the American people they're smart about this. They understand that there are just lines that should not be crossed, and whether that's for American citizens or anybody in this country. And frankly, look, a lot of the people I met with at Delaney Hall, they are married to American citizens and parents of kids that are American citizens.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: So that's what I think they're afraid of They're afraid that the American people will understand and learn the truth about what is happening in that name with our money, but without our say and without our approval. And that's just you know, that's just wrong, and that's what needs to be changed here. You know, we have the capacity to do so, it's just a matter of political will that since administration refuses to put towards this.
Speaker 1: I know that Governor Cheryl sent in state police to help set up protest zones and sort of ask demonstrators to lower the temperature. Some of the activists outside Delaney heard that is hurt policing them instead of the FEDS. Where do you come down on some of the tension between trying to conduct oversight, give people a safe space to protest, while also trying to maintain safety in you know, the general area.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, first of all, look, I mean this is chaos that is inherited from ICE that they have been filment and they look they've been threatening to bring many many more ICE agents to New jerseysically threatening you know, a surge similar to Minnesota. So I understand, look like you know, we're going to try to avoid that scenario. But look, you know, there are legitimate concerns at Delaney Hall, and as a result, there are legitimate, you know, legitimate reasons to be able to protest that, and I want to make sure that we are trying to address that, like we are allowing that kind of space. I get it, Like, you know, we can't have this unrest continue on. In fact, I'm hearing it from the families of the detainees saying that it's been preventing them from being able to visit their loved ones, That the attorneys are not able to get access because you know, because of some of the roads have been shut down and other things. So like, look like we want to make sure we're not getting in the way and losing sight of what we're really trying to address, which is the the detainees and their conditions. But like there's got to be a way that we can do this, you know, while while we are also making sure that you know, people have the rights afforded to them and the Constitution, especially for free speech. So like I'm I'm trying to work on this, trying to address this. I talked with not only the governor's team, but also you know, Mayor Baraka from Newark to try to think through like what other steps, what other ways can we do this that isn't going to just further inflame. You know what is already this horrible situation that ICE is you know, thrown our state into. But you know it is it is difficult, but I'm trying my best to be able to push forward and in a way that is going to make sure that again we're keeping the needs and apply to the detainees front and center here.
Speaker 1: As you mentioned, you know, one opportunity to sort of make some change here is, you know, the Senate schedule to consider this seventy two billion dollar budget bill funding for ICE that would fund ICE through the end of Trump's term. Obviously, it doesn't seem like Democrats have the votes to stop it in the Senate because it's it would only require fifty one votes. But are you and or other Democrats plan to offer any amendments that you think might actually be able to pass with some Republican support that might rein in some of the abuses we're talking about, or or you know, make any kind of corrections to some of the things that you saw.
Speaker 5: Well, look, here here's what I lay layout for you. I mean, there are a whole slew of problems that are facing Delaney, and I want people to know, like it's not that delay Delaney is not some bad apple that is just you know, we just have to address that. This is a system wide failure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and problem.
Speaker 5: As I said, you know, Geogroup's got nineteen other facilities, you know, cor Civic and other I mean, like and then now you know, ICE is trying to build these warehouse detention facilities, and hopefully we can push back and stop this. But there's a broader problem, systemic, not just in the culture, but just in the broader process. And that's what I'm trying to expose, you know. And so there's three things in particular I'm trying to push towards. Both through the legislation, is through other means, you know, like first like let's get let's surge some medical support to DELAYY and these other facilities. Like there are clearly people who are not getting the care that they need, and Secretary Mullink can dispute that, but like again, it's not what I'm hearing, it's not what I'm seeing, and and I just don't see why anyone's going to stand the way and say, like, look, let's just try to see I mean, the DHS has a medical unit. You know, we can be able to surge up there in that kind of capacity right away. Like right now they have one doctor for one full time doctor for about eight hundred detainees. You know that many of them have significant medical concerns. So like that's what I'm trying to do initially, like let's surge up there. Let's have you know, number two, like let's have like a real investigation into these different claims that are about there, whether it's about the food or the other conditions. And number three, the detainings were very clear with me that it's not just about the conditions, it's just it's about having that movement forward on their cases. So I'm trying to again take what I'm hearing and figure out how to put it into action. You know, I've been talking to Secretary of Mullen this week, telling him what I'm hearing on the ground, trying to see what we can move forward, because they can do this on their own if they want it to right now. You know, they could demand you know, additional doctors, they could demand you know, efforts to be able to surge this, and that's what I hope people understand. Like Geo Group got a nearly billion dollar contract for Delaney Hall, so they could hire more doctors tomorrow today, but that's going to be less profit for them, right, Like could they could have better quality food or fix the extreme heat that I'm hearing, But then again that's cutting into their profits, right, so we can change that. So I have been and will continue to be pushing for amendments along these lines. Are just saying, like, let's have a baseline of medical resources available. I hope we can all agree that regards list of the circumstances that someone's in there, Like we want to make sure that they're getting some semblance of medical care for key needs. You know, I'm trying to push forward on something that is about de escalation trade. I literally submitted that amendment before I even went back to Delaney, all about how we can ensure that there's de escalation trading for ICE and CBP after what we saw at Minnesota, and every single Republican on the Homeland Security Committee voted against my amendment, you know, And then I went back to the Lane and saw and experienced what I did, so I'm pushing forward. But again, like this is something where we really need the American people to kind of come behind us on this. You know, the only times we've seen this administration back down or pullback has been when there's wide public outrage. You know, we saw that with Minnesota. We see that. Actually just today it looks like we're seeing it when Trump administration seems to be backed and off that one point eight billion dollars slush fund for January sixth rioters. I hope that's true, that that they're backing off of that, but like, you know, that's what we really need is for us to say, like, you know, this cannot be what is happening in our country and to be able to try to stop it and I know, you know, reconciliation and vote a Ramas in the Senate. This is not like must watch TV, Like this is not something that's gonna necessarily like you know, have people tuning in at whatever got out god awful hour in the middle of the night that you know, the Republicans forced us to vote on these But like I ask people please, like like for my stay for our country, like please tune in to what is happening, because what they're trying to do is give upwards of seventy billion dollars more for ICE and CBP. Not only is there no reforms and accountability in there like what Americans have been demanding since Minnesota, but there's not a there for you to help you with your healthcare. There's not a dollar in there for you to help you with your groceries or for the rising gas prices. There's nothing in it for you. It's just more money that's going straight into geogroups pockets to just continue this lawlessness that we see. This cannot stand and this is something that we have to do everything we can to let people know and try to push back against this in Congress.
Speaker 1: Senator, I know you have to run because you're working on this issue, but I just wanted to say thank you for joining us and thank you for everything you're doing to highlight this issue and including literally putting your body in the way at Delaney. So please please let us know how we can help and thank you again.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thanks so much for shining the light on this. It's so important.
Speaker 1: Thanks to Andy Kim for coming on, Alex Wagner and I with a new show on Friday. Pods in America is a Crooked media production. Our show is produced by Austin Fisher, Saul Ruben, McKenna Roberts, and Ferris Safari, with Reed Jerlin, Elijah Cone and Adrian Hill. Our team includes Matt de Groate, Ben Hefcote, Jordan Cantor, Charlottelandis, Carol pel Avive, David Tols, Mia Kelman, Ryan Young, and Naomi Single. Our staff is probably unionized with the Writers Guild of America East