Speaker 1: Big Food and Beyond with Cliff and Bubo. These guys, are you faeve? It's so like say subscribe and rade it five.
Speaker 2: Star and.
Speaker 1: Greatest on yesterday listening, oh watching Limb always keep it's watching.
Speaker 3: And now you're hosts Cliff Berckman and James Boobo Fay.
Speaker 1: But but you heard about the tragedy of there's two men dying to the elements up there in Scamania County.
Speaker 2: Yeah, asn't asked you do you know who that was? Yet?
Speaker 1: Not yet, not yet, we don't have The names are not being released as of this recording, and of course we are recording on New Year's Eve, so December thirty first, twenty twenty four, that's when we're recording this. It comes out in a couple more days here. But as of now, the names have not been released. Although I spent a good portion of my day yesterday oddly enough handling press staff, I did a TV spot from the local news stations of Willamitt Week reached out to me and kind of a mixed bag there. One of the I'm not sure what made the edit on the TV or what's going to make the edit. When they released the Wilamite News. But they actually asked me, do I think bigfoots are responsible or at least one of the one of the reporters asked me, and I said, no, of course not, of course not, and just kind of tried to ground the articles a little bit, you know, by just saying bigfooting is going outside and looking around for an animal, just like you're bird watching or you're going to look for deer or something like that. It's it's like hunting or skiing or any other outdoor pursuit. You leave your you step out your door. It's very dangerous business sipping out your door.
Speaker 2: Yeah. My guess is that they were this is a total guests, is that they're probably hard working dudes or you know, busy guys, and this is like it was obviously a bad time to be out there.
Speaker 4: I mean, these giant storms rolling through.
Speaker 2: They probably you know, they had this time blocked off and they and they had they just like we're doing it. We're going to tough it out. That's what I'm imagining happened, and it just got worse than expected. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and since both of them passed, so it came to the elements there I have to assume some sort of snow related thing. What little I did see there was some snow on the ground. I'm assuming their car got stuck, but I don't know what it is. Search and Rescue commented that it was perhaps due to not being prepared in some sort of way. So we're going to try to address that a little bit because a couple of our members have reached out to us and suggested that we do episodes about what we bring and why we bring it out bigfooting, and you know, safety and survival is a big part of that in a lot of ways. So we're gonna try to address some of this in the upcoming episodes of Bigfoot and Beyond here and also just just we're whatever it's worth. I mean, there's nothing you can say when somebody that you love dies, of course, but you know, over here Big Thing and Beyond, we are thinking of the families because realistically, that could be anyone of our families with just a little bit going wrong at any given time. Because I was talking to Nico about this, and of course Nico trains people in survival skills, and he's a train tracker and all that sort of stuff, and Nico is saying, like, you know, even if you're completely prepared, it only makes the survival situation easier and doesn't guarantee the outcome. Right, the woods are no joke. There's a bottom line, So our thoughts are with them. I me know that we're thinking of those families because that could be our family if we're not careful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had tons of people going, do you know who is it? Who is it? I'm like, I don't know. I think I think we would have heard by now if it was someone we were friends with, I think, but who knows. We'll see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think I would be friends with them because again, like you said, I think I would have been told by now. But I'm those people are from Portland. I'm wondering if they're museum members. Right, you know, it's a very real possibility, and you know what you know, to add tragedy to tragedy. By the way, I caught on the news this morning that while the search and rescue team was out dealing with this or another case, but I think it was actually this one, someone broke into their compound and stole two of their supply trailers. From the search and rescue.
Speaker 2: I saw that dude. That's disgusting, absolutely terrible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and of course, so they're out a lot of money, et cetera. But you know, I saw that on the news. They started a go fund me, So, Matt Pru, why don't you put the GoFundMe url the web web address into the show notes in case any of us listening out there want to help them out in some.
Speaker 4: Sort of way.
Speaker 1: So, because I saw the sheriff on the news this morning in my newsfeed, and she was a sheriff was down there. She was saying, yeah, well basically I'm summarizing here. This isn't an exact quote, but she's saying basically, yeah, don't get lost in Scamania County because these thieves took the stuff and it's going to be a while till we get to you. So yeah, that's an example of a crime having real life and death consequences. So to if, just in case people are listening and you're the one who stole that stuff, you're a jackass, feel free to return it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's one of those things, you know, like the not a butterfly effect exactly, but I mean direct, it's a direct effect. I mean people's there's search and rescue. I mean, people could easily die due to this theft, you know, some tweakers or whatever. You know, it's just that's stuff. Just chest my ass to tenth degree.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well, why don't we move on to something slightly lighter, or actually a lot lighter, something that makes my heart sore? Our guest, Bob, why don't you do the honors?
Speaker 2: All right, folks, we're very honored, proud, and in irreverent mood because we have one of the greatest men on earth here today to join us. He's been voted best hair and big Footing in three or four times now, and the guy's a legend. He's a good friend of ours. We all love him to death. Mark Burcell from Washington, Slash, Oregon and just out of the world. Yay, Mark.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't know. I didn't know about the hair a words. Really, I wasn't ever notified. I would have like bragged about it more. I made a T shirt or yeah, a whole line of T shirts. I knew I had the best hair in big footing. So anyway, thanks, pull on a hair products. Oh yeah, oh that's a great idea. Okay, Yeah, I'm gonna work. I'm going to work on that anyway.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having to me.
Speaker 3: Back on you know, all of us, all of us here are such great friends. I was thinking about coming on today with you guys, and I realized that I kind of like get confused about what we've talked about in previous podcasts and what we've just talked about privately. So I don't know if if I ramble on about something I've already talked about on a previous podcast, just let me know, because I don't know, I get confused. I just saw all of you guys a few days ago, so well, I think.
Speaker 1: It's a gross oversight on our part to have you only on every few years. But it's been a couple of years at least, and I know that twenty twenty four was a huge year for Ape Canyon, and we haven't even had you once since you had your sighting either, so I know that there's a lot to talk about here, and of course, well, and we're such good friends, we have so much to say to each other. We'll be doing a members episode after this as well, where our members have actually contributed questions specifically for you, so we'll be dealing with that later. But why don't we start before we get into the sighting, because I want to talk about that in the projects that we haven't seen much of yet, the Thompson Flat stuff and all that jazz. But twenty twenty four was a huge ear for Ape Canyon in lots of ways. I mean, not only was it the centennial, the one hundred year anniversary of the events, but new discoveries were made, new contacts were made, We have views that we've never seen before. Do you want to tell us what twenty twenty four looked like for the Epe Canyon project.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a very very strange year.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: The thing about what I feel is a good project, not just big just not a Bigfoot project, but just any research that you're doing. I don't I don't really like to banter around the term science or scientists because nobody is a licensed card carrying scientist. You're a chemical gist specializing in basalt. You're a marine mammal researcher, you know, so you have these specialties. But any good research project that you're doing that's worth its salt is never ever done. It's always something new. If you think that you have come to conclusions and that this research project is done, you're kind of making a mistake. You always have to leave the door open for something new. So sometimes in the Ape Canyon project, I think, yeah, it's kind of coming down to the bitter end and there's not that much more, and then suddenly, out of the blue, completely unexpected, there's something new that shows up. So twenty four was a massive year for Ape Canyon and it really opened up literally literally opened up a lot on the project. Early on, oh, I think it was late twenty three, early twenty four. I was messing around the Devil's Magic they called the Internet on Facebook, and someone had a page about Mount Saint Helens before the eruption in nineteen eighty and someone had contributed pictures of the fire lookout up on top of Mount Saint Helens being built in nineteen twenty four, and there are a couple of photos of these rangers, and I look at the description and it's like, holy smokes. The two guys and the photos are Bill Welch and Jim Huffman, the two rangers who were pretty important characters in the entire eight Canyon story. There were important characters in the incident. Bill Welch was the head ranger at sparent Lake and Jim Huffman was the ranger down down south in the next district. They're at the Lewis River. So I reached out to the Facebook administrator and he put me on contact with the woman who contributed these photos. Well, it turns out that the women who contributed the photos were Bill Welch's great grand niece. It was her grandfather's brother, and so I reached out to her and she knew the entire Ape Canyon story and she was like, oh, well, I have some neat stuff in my family photo album and I'll share it with you. And she sent me digitized copies basically just like a photograph of the individual photos. And these were amazing, amazing photos that had never been seen outside of her family. It was just amazing photos. As an example, we had before this, we only had one photo, one known photo that was published in The Oregonian of the cabin in nineteen twenty four, and I'd been looking for the original and may have been destroyed, but it's just a grainy newspaper photo. It helped a lot in the project of finding the cabin site, but it was still just kind of a funky, grainy photo. Well man, these Sandy Moyer photos were so clear and so amazing that actually I sent them to photographer friends just on the off chance because it almost looked like AI generated. They were so crystal clear, just to plug the North American Bigfoot Center. You can see them on display at the NABC right now. They were so good. I thought they were AI generated, but no, my photographer friends said, no, this is the real deal. So we ended up with these tremendous, amazing photos of Fred and Leroy. These photos were taken about a week after the attack when Fred Beck and Leroy Smith went up to the cabin site with reporters with Bill Welch and Jim Huffman, and that's when the photo so we know exactly when those photos were taken, and it was just tremendous. The photos are just amazing. The other thing that literally opened up is that you and I Cliff went up on the ninety ninth anniversary and twenty twenty three, went up on the mountain and hung out for two or three days, and we were supposed to be joined by three fellows who I call the Mitchell Brothers. Actually two of them are brothers and one is a cousin. It's Jake, Jared and Brayden Mitchell. They were going to join us, but there's a mishap and they couldn't join us, and they ended up going back up there after we came off the mountain about two or three weeks later. I had given them rough directions as best directions as I could to get to the cabin site, which I don't give out, but it's their family story. So I was like, Okay, here's how you get to the cabin. Well, these guys are young, and they're incredibly energetic. You know, people think I'm nuts for what I do, you know, up at eight Canyon, but you should see these guys. These guys are like leave being down the rock face like Gazelle's like antelope and I'm gonna flow down. Wow, geez, you know, they're just amazingly energetic. Well, they after they did it three times and they couldn't find the cabin site on the third try, they finally, in one weekend, they got to the they got to the cabin and figured it out. Okay, this is that. Well they just went a little bit further. Jake went down and Brandon and Jared are at the top at the cabin site watching him, and they accidentally kicked down just this little pubbly rock and they watched this rock just skid her right past Jake into this little trough in the rock, and that rock just was just pointing and leading him right to the mine. And they were able to find the mine on that trip, which you and I, Cliff have been down there, and you know, we were like within just feet just a few feet of the mine entrance. But you can really see the Mind entrance unless you're like right on top of it, unless you're basically standing right in front of it. So that was a that was just a tremendous discovery that you know, it's just the gift that keeps on giving. Really, there's all this new information coming out all the time. So getting getting the Mind has opened up new leads, have not not caving leads or underground leads, but have opened up new leads to pursue regarding gold and essays and and that kind of thing for the whole tip of the whole story together.
Speaker 1: Wow, and just how fantastic is it that actual family members rediscovered the mind?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Absolutely absolutely, And again it's their story and you know the Mitchell guys and I've I've hung out with them a lot, and they're not necessarily big footy bigfooters or anything. You know, They're not those kind of people and have and they're great because they have high end skepticism about the whole phenomenon, so they're really not interested. Well they are interested in Bigfoot, but they're mainly interested in their family history and for them, for the Mitchells to find it, the great grandsons of Leroy Perry Smith, that's just fantastic. It's their story.
Speaker 1: Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bobo will be right back after these messages. Well, we'll get back to the Abe Canyon thing when we talk to the members that during the member episode. And of course, if you want to be a member, there's a link in the show notes. Check it out. Maybe it's for you, I don't know. But other things have been happening as well, And I don't know what you have. You know in your bonnet about cabins that are attacked by sasquatches, but you had this whole project in southern Oregon with Bobo, so you guys can talk about that but during that adventure you actually had an observation of a sasquat or two sasquatches. So fill us in on, you know, set up the story there to what were you guys doing down there? When can we expect to see the project? And what happened? What did you observe?
Speaker 3: Well, it was the strangest five seconds in my life. This has been a long term project. I'm calling it the Thompson Flat Monster Project. This is in southwest Oregon, in Curry County, which is like the most southern southwesterly county in Oregon. We're about sixty miles from the California border and over the course of golly Man probably about forty years or so down in this very very limited small area in and around this area called Thompson Flat, which is on the south fork of that Sixes River, there were multiple sightings and encounters with a sasquatch like creature creatures starting around eighteen seventy five eighteen seventy six, and these have and quite often going into the nineteen teens and early nineteen twenties. And some of these encounters were not pleasant. It wasn't just like a fleeting, a fleeting silhouette going across the road. Some of them were incredibly aggressive. The reason why humans were down there to have these encounters is that this was a gold mining area. And the first encounter, first encounter in eighteen seventy five was with the prospector and Tom said that he was picked up by this hairy individual by the scraff in the back, and it happened so quickly he couldn't get a really good look at it. But Tom was throttled and thrown down this hillside and knocked unconscious. His friends came up a few days later, found him alive and nursed him back to health. Well when Tom he did find gold on that trip, and the word got out and the whole area became known as the gold Rush of Southwest Oregon, and there were many many people who went up there to work on gold mines. At first they were just doing load claims tunneling into the side of the river, and then later they found out it was a little bit easier to do plaster locations. So at one point in the eighteen eighties there were about forty people who lived in small tents and cabins up around Thompson Flat on the river. And they were working their own individual claims, but then they would come together in it's sort of a communal kind of setting and share food and share stories and that kind of thing. Well, one at a time, over the period of about eighteen months, four miners showed up dead, and it was a kind of thing of like, oh, well, where's John. He should be by now, And they go up to his claim and they find John dead. Each each of these four individuals either had their heads bashed in or their bodies beaten to just throttle and to a pulp. Well, people got scared and they started vacating the area quite quickly. There was only one fellow named Mike Madigan who was living up there at his cabin and his claim. His cabin is actually still standing and it's actually in very very good shape. He had had a previous encounter where he's he was. He had a gold he had a golden mine. But he was sort of like the village huntsman, and he would go out and hunt and bring back food and and trade it for supplies and everything. And he was out with his dogs one day and there was this large creature. The interesting thing about Thompson Flat are the are these encounters keep describing this individual as not this monster ten foot tall, bigfoot like character. It's like six or seven feet tall kid, just routinely, over and over again described as being yellow or blonde in hair color. One of Madigan's dogs takes after it, and the creature picks up the dog, throbbles it and throws it down the hillside. Madigan starts shooting at the individual, and the second dog takes off to to the to the bigfoot, and the bigfoot picks it up, and Madigan shots going into this creature seemingly to be a seeming completely unaffected, and so Madigan gets out of there.
Speaker 2: He was famous to the mad what they call the Mad Mike whatever, and Grizzly Mike. He he was famous for hunting down and killing grizzly bears. And he had these the dogs were big, huge stud dogs that he'd used to take, you know, corner of the grizzlies. So this guy was like he wasn't you know, it wasn't like just some minor guy up there. This guy was a lot legend, like big fearless stud guy he was.
Speaker 3: And that's why they called him grizz Yeah, that's what was his nickname Griz Madigan because he had had he had had I had a little little close encounter with with a with a bear, with a grizzly that left these huge scratch marks. And in the previous issue with his bear, the bear had gotten so close that it was able to claw his face and he had this series of scars across his face. The guy, the guy was just like, you know, the guy was a monster outdoorsman. He you know, it wasn't You're right, it wasn't just some guy out there wandering with his out there with his dogs with a baby gun. He really knew what he was doing, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he had a high caliber He had a high caliber rifle for grizzlies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, exactly, exactly. Yeah, you bring up a really good point, and this this one encounter with his dogs was not point blank range, but it was within seventy seventy five feet one hundred feet or so of this individual, and he was like blasting this big foot like creature. But like other encounters, sort of like the Ape Canyon story, it just didn't seem to have any effects on the creature. The creature didn't care. So Madigan, you know, got back later on when this area called Butcher Golds, right next to right next to Thompson Flat. Everyone's gone and Madigan's up there by himself. He hasn't come back into town for a couple of weeks. So his friend Ramsey goes up there looking for him, goes up to his cabin, he's not there. Goes up up the hill up towards his claim and there's this odd sort of pile of rocks that seemed to be not naturally placed there, and he pulls the rocks away and there's Madigan dead. Ramsey recognized him by his gun and his knife. He wasn't he wasn't completely decomposed, but he had been there for a while oddly enough, seemingly to be buried in sort of this fashion who laid on the ground and covered with rocks. So there were still some people going up there for gold claims in the eighteen nineties late eighteen nineties there was a fellow who had a couple of claims up there named Harrison, and he had had a friend, a family friend, and another family friend helping him work on the claim. They had built a cabin at Thompson Flat and it was the Harrison cabin. And in nineteen oh four, the couple of the guys were in there at night and something had come and started beating the cabin. You know, it's really shaking it and beating it. They go through the door and they see this individual right there in front, in front of the door. They take shots at it again. The creature goes back into the tree line and ends up throwing rocks back at them. Just a few days later, one of the same individuals, of the same humans, along with two of Harrison's sons were in the cabin and the cabin gets attacked again. And at this point they were ready and they just start coming out of there shooting at this creature. At that point, there may have been I have to go back and look at it. There may have been more than one individual attacking the cabin. There were stories in they gave us clues about this cabin because they talked about opening the door, and the door faced a certain apple tree where this creature or creatures were coming and where they had exited. And so naturally, a cabin in the woods being attacked by sasquatch gold shooting these creatures seemingly to no effect. I was like, well, that's right up my alley. That's a crazy thing is that this was these had all the ear markings of Abe Canyon, but it occurred twenty years before Abe Canyon, hundreds of miles away in Oregon, And so I started three researching it to death. Given the fact that these encounters took place over the period of like thirty or forty years, it's going to take me a long long time to sift through all of this information. There's a lot more document research to do. I feel there's a lot more field research to do as well to look for field evidence. But anyway, that's that's how that's That was the basic story that really grabbed me. And then one day the phone rings and it's ring ring ring, and it's like Mark, dude, it's Bobo. Hey, I want to make a I want to make a documentary on Thompson Flat. And that's basically why we were up there work working on working on the Thompson Flat Monster project.
Speaker 1: Now, Bobo's in pretty tight lift about this entire project. So I know that you guys probably don't want to spill all the beans, so to speak. But it was during one of these filming sessions that you actually saw the Sasquatches, right, That is right.
Speaker 4: The story.
Speaker 3: Is that it was me and Bobo and Rowdy, Kelly and two production as Sam and Gordon I believe was with us that time, and also our friend Kim Christensen who grew up in band and Kim's really cool. She's very much a pioneer woman. She stands with like five feet and must be all of ninety pounds, and yeah, she's a true pioneer. She grew up without electricity for the longest time with her mom and dad, worked in the cranberry farms and stuff, and knows the woods really well. So we're done with the filming project. And by the way, at that d during that trip we ended up finding the location of the nineteen oh four Harrison cabin as well. It worked out really well, like Bobo said, when we were able to determine the actual cabin, Bobo was like, that almost seems staged because we found it so easily. But we're all done filming. We're kind of breaking up. The whole plan was was that Rowdy and Bobo and I had more filming to do at a local newspaper office in Myrtle Point, Oregon, and we're all going to drive down and we're going to meet on the highway and where we can get some reception and figure out where we're going to stay that night. So Sam and Gordon, the two production assistants, left. They went back home to northern California around Humboldt, and Kim is like, okay, well, I'm going to take off too. I'll see you guys later. And Bobo and Rowdy just had to load up the ATVs onto the trailer. So Kim takes off and I say, okay, I'm going to meet you guys down at the highway. And I take off too, and I'm driving and these four service roads are basically one lane roads, maybe a lane and a half, and up ahead. This is in the afternoon in November. Up ahead, I see Kim pulled off to the side and I stop and it's everything okay, and she's like, yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm I'm just checking the map to go and visit a lake where Kim had had some encounters up there as well. She wanted to revisit the lake and was checking out the map and I'm like, oh, okay, see yeah. So I'm driving and this is a very very wooded area. Some of it had been logged previously, but not a lot because it's just very, very steep and rugged. It's sort of like a mini Rockies. So what I'm saying is is getting dark. It's about five o'clock at night in November, and the trees are around me, and so I'm driving maybe like twenty five thirty miles an hour, and I have my headlights on, and I have my brights on, and I have drives because I kind of drive like an old lady. And once in a while behind me, maybe about a mile or two, I can see Kim's headlights behind me, and I round around a curve and in front of me is the road has a slight incline and before it dips down kind of crests on a hill, and it's about two hundred two hundred and fifty feet in front of me. And the cross section that we're talking about about the road is that down on my left it goes steep steep down into the riverbed of the sixs River flat roadbed, and then off to my rights incredibly steep going back up the hill to my right. When I round around the corner, up in front of me maybe about two hundred feet is this individual that's moving and when my headlights hit it, it pauses briefly and faces me face on about two hundred feet and my first thought is, you know, who's playing in the middle of the road at night. And it was obviously, you know, it was obviously a bipedal human like character, arms and legs and head and all that. And the split second other thought is like, why is it wearing a fireman's outfit? Because it was big, bulky, like a firefighter's outfit to actually fight fires. It was bulky arms, bulky legs, big, There was hardly any neck going on, you know, around its neck, and that's why I thought it was somebody wearing a fireman's outfit. Also, the reason why is because it was sort of beige, dirty blonde in color.
Speaker 1: Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bogo will be right back after these messages.
Speaker 3: This individual pauses for a quick second and takes a step to continue to go uphill. The individual had come out of the river bed when it had hit the road coincidentally when I was rounding around, and it pauses for a second, keeps on going, but before it keeps on going. It turns and looks back into the woods from where it had come from. When it did that, there was a second individual coming from a crouching position onto the road, and these two just start booking it. They just are hauling it, and they're so incredibly fast. But also their movements were like a movement that I had never seen before. It was, you know, it was just like a normal like a human jogging in a runner's fashion with bent arms, and there was running like that, but it was fast, incredibly fast, jerky movements like it reminded me of of seeing five year old or six year olds on the playground in a fast game of chase. It was that kind of high energy, or like watching an insect, like a dragonfly take off. It was incredibly incredibly quick, jerky movements I had at this point. I had kept on driving, but I was slowing down. Where they came onto the road, I wasn't exactly sure, But where they exited the road I was. I was certain where they exited because I was within fifty feet of the time. The second individual went up the hill like in a flash. It was short hair, very short hair, not as short as like a like a Docson like or like soci the dog. It wasn't it wasn't that short, but it was short ish and it was yeah, a yellow, dirty blonde. And they just banned they could cook. They just like jump up the hill. It was amazing. Kathy's screen has a story of her encounter where she described it almost like this big fat bungee cord jump where its just buoying and it went up the hill. And that's the way they were. These two just flew up the hill practically, and there was no hair around the face, heavy brow and I almost keep going, but just in a split I decided to slam it on the brakes, put the car in park, and I jumped out of the car, and I'm looking up the hill and the only sound is my car engine, and I can hear the river behind me down and down the hill, and looking up the hill in the dark, I'm going to estimate that these guys may have been like seventy five one hundred feet up the hill. But the thing that totally freaked me out was that I didn't hear anything. I didn't hear any brush, I didn't hear any crunching, I didn't hear anything at all, and my brain flight or fight figured out that whatever I had seen was probably standing there looking at me, and all of this heat started raising up my neck and my ears started getting really hot, and I was getting I was getting very very disturbed and wigged out, not only by their movements and what they saw, but I was just assuming that they were up there, like back right there in the dark, checking me out too. So Kim Kim comes up by that point, and I was like, something across the road, something across the road, and Kim gets all excited and stuff, and Kim Kim is great. She's really new to like big footing at the time and very enthusiastic and everything is bigfoot right, and she's like, oh my god, and I tell her the whole story and everything. Bobo at that point had come in and parked behind Kim and I go up and you're like, Bobo, You're like, so, what is there an accident? I'm like, uh no, was there a flat tire? No, something cross the road? And you were like you saw a squatch And I like, hold up a couple of fingers and I'm like I saw two, and you're like, holy crap, and go back and go to Rowdy's car right behind you and Rowdy and you're like, tell Rowdy. It's like, yeah, I squatched us cross the road. And Rowdy was like, you know who saw it, Kim, and you were like, no, dude, it was Mark and it was Mark.
Speaker 4: Holy crap.
Speaker 3: And so the good thing is is that we're up there filming. Rowdy had his camera and it's Mike and he throws the mic on me and he starts the camera and he's like, start talking.
Speaker 4: And I was there able.
Speaker 3: To give my whole story, my whole experience, like within like about four minutes or five minutes after it happened. And I don't know, I haven't seen the footage yet, but I know I was just babbling.
Speaker 4: I would I could. I could hardly talk.
Speaker 2: Man, you're not that good of an actor. I mean, you were blown away. And that was one thing I was gonna say is that if you were like, if you were to walk this road and look for crossing points, like where were stuff like that cross you would not pick this place. I mean it was like basically cliffs. It was just almost vertical. It was crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's incredibly incredibly steep, and so where they had exited the road. I was certain of where they exited the road. And it's pretty dark at that point, and three of us are on the edge of gravel. And if you were standing on the edge of gravel, and there's a slight dirt ditch, and then it starts going up really steeply, just for a few feet up to this rock escarpment. There's like an exposed hunk of rock that's like ten or twelve feet tall. And we all saw it at the same time. The three of us, Bobo and Kim and I were standing on the edge of gravel and Rowdy's up there with his camera and it's really really right light, and he's scanning this rock, and right at the top of the rock, Rowdy's light hits it, and we all see it at the same time. At the top of the rock. There's like detritus and moss and plants and stuff at the at the top of this sort of cliff, this small little cliff, and we all saw it at the same time. Where there was about a four or five inch fresh scrape right at the top, right where these two individuals left and went up the hill. And uh, it was if something was trying to gain a handhold or a foothold, and the moss or plants slipped and it was just this brand new, fresh scrape.
Speaker 2: So yeah, they launched up there like they had to have such incredible vertical jumping ability because they didn't leave a lot of evidence like where they were when we when we went through that, I like it was like a blind guy could have followed us, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, we went We went back up there the next day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he's us all go home, which we got hotels and stayed the night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, Yeah, So we went back the next day and it was good because Rowdy got in my car and Bobo, you were up on the road where I saw these two individuals, and we kind of recreated it and were able to get like a scale for how tall these two were. And like the tallest one, judging by you, the tallest one may have been like six and a half seven feet tall. The second one, which was a little bit shorter, couldn't have been over six and a half. Maybe it was six feet taller. So and we scrambled up that hill a little bit where they had gone up the hill, which was not easy to do, and found a few impressions. Nothing really castable or anything like that, because it was like really really steep, but it looked as if something had been up there, and you know there was. There was the one thing about that area, because it's so steep, somebody individual can be very very close to you when you're on the road and like within seventy five one hundred feet, but you wouldn't know it. And it can there. You can we were up there, you could like have this perfect view of humans on the road looking down, but the humans would never know it. There was a strange thing that happened to us during that trip where something did cross the road where we heard it. We heard the footsteps crossing the gravel. This was about a night or two before. In the middle of the night, some of us heard this big sort of behind us, this big brush rush. Something had took taken off headed up the hill in the brush. And so we went back again on that on that incident. We went back the next day and I had climbed up to where all it was kind of figured where we heard that noise in the brush, and I found this bench, this small little bench where I could stand and I could I was looking at everybody right down on the road. It was like this perfect vantage point to take to take a look at us. So anyway, it's incredibly steep, steep, rugged territory out there, for sure.
Speaker 2: There were several of several of them came around us that night.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Kim brought us to that swept to give Kim a little shout out. And then I was just going to correct from earlier. Gordon and Sam weren't production assistants. Border was the sound and Sam was camera.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, thanks man, Okay, I didn't know. I'm not a film guy. You're the TV guy. Hell, I don't know what a production assistant is.
Speaker 1: What we call him television bobes Hollywood bobo.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I mean when we were down there on the gravel road, when all of us were down there, not when I had seen those two individuals. It's like looking down into that into that lake, into that lake where where Kim had had encounters years before, and we can't see the lake, but we know it's down there in sort of a small valley and on one side of the lake is a hilly ridge, you know, because the lake is at the bottom in this valley. On one side of the lake is have a little bit of a ridge and on this on the other side of the lake is another ridge. And it was almost like there is something, some things down there messing with us, because on one ridge we could hear a knock and we all run down the road and we listen and we listen, and then from the other ridge we could hear this whoop and we all run over there, and it was almost like they're just having fun watching us back and running back and forth, running back and forth on the on the road.
Speaker 2: We're going black lights out. So because we didn't want to stay, we were trying to catch them on THRM and like that's what I was used to kill it about five big though, was bringing out those TV cameras with the infrared spotlights on. Like I always figured like that's just like you such a bitter shot if we just like I was like, you know, we're not trying to film us, We're trying to film big fast. I was always the point when we were in the field that like at night was not filming us getting our reactions, but it was us trying to actually get something on film our best chance. So yeah, that unfortunately, Yah that's one of the scenes that the audio just did not come out very well, but it was. It was pretty amazing to be And Larry was there that night, Larry, the guy that passed away, Larry was there also, and he was I mean, this guy's Larry was seventy year old, just a stud. I mean, he was the fittest guy there for sure.
Speaker 4: Oh he was man.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. He grew up his whole life out in southern Oregon northern northern California, like on the border areas up there. His father was a miner and he grew up being a logger and a minor. He's you know, expllert hunter, outdoorsman, tracker, and he was blown away.
Speaker 3: He was also a long distance runner, I found out from his wife. Yeah, he was a tree faller. I had gotten a picture from Larry right after that trip. He sent me a picture and you have this huge tall tree and god, it must be like, you know, one hundred feet tall, and there's this little little thing in the tree and it's Larry and he's up there.
Speaker 4: He's climbing.
Speaker 3: He's climbed this tree to limit and I mean the guy was just a monster shape.
Speaker 4: He really was. I don't know how old that. Larry was like seventy something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, he was blown away because you had given me the therm and you're like, mark, here, hold this and pointed up the road and get it.
Speaker 2: Get it.
Speaker 3: Went acrosses the road and I stood there for a long time and I didn't get anything, and so I turned around. And as soon as I turned around and started walking, Larry said, that's when he heard three steps crossing the road right where the term was pointed. But I had just turned around and started walking down towards you guys, And that's when he said, across the road had gone up the hill and was apparently standing up there watching us in the woods.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they because we heard them coming from down below, like they're down the noises started down the lake and it was raining. I mean we went up there like it was massive storms because that winter was horrible for storms, Like yeah, my tent, Like I'm still frustrated about that. Remember when I started up my tent in that storm and it snapped it like the big pole like in the top.
Speaker 4: It was awful. It was nerd there, man, I know.
Speaker 3: We get up there the first night and we tried to build a fire and there was just no way, so we just climbed in the car and went to sleep.
Speaker 4: It was it was bad.
Speaker 3: It was really windy and it was pouring rain. I mean, it's Pacific Northwest rainforest.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: This is about like ten miles fifteen miles from the coast, so we're dealing with coastal storms up there, you know, a lot.
Speaker 4: So it was bad.
Speaker 1: Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and beyond with Cliff and Bogo. We'll be right back after these messages.
Speaker 3: This is this is why, this is why the Thompson Flat Monster project is not done. But that that thing that happened to us went across the road behind us, behind me. It really opened up like a new project for me down there, because when we went back the next day in the daytime, Browdie was checking out the aerial photos on his phone and he's like, look, look, look, so if you if you are at the lake and you're sort of headed easterly, you get to that road where we were standing, and you keep on going east headed up the hill, and you end up on this ridge line, this ridge line that runs north and south with no roads, no nothing, and this ridge line that runs north and south on the north end of the ridge. That's where we were camped and that's where all the Thompson flat Act toy happened. But if you follow that ridge line headed south for about two or three miles or so, bam when it crosses when it crosses the road, that's where I had my sighting with the two individuals. So I'm tending to think that this wooded ridge, which is quite massive and dense and really really rugged, I think that's their highway. I think that's where they're hanging out up above, you know, looking down. So it really got me going where I'm going to be headed back down there and see if I can plow my way through the woods and hang out there a lot more, because it made what Routy showed me suddenly made a whole heck of a lot of sense, you know.
Speaker 2: I So to add back to your sighting, was when the two cross the road, you got this was your impression, I remember you saying, because we got your on camera saying it was that it looked like a big brother and a little brother, Like how I feel like they'll run into each other and like kind of push each other. And then you got that kind of impression absolutely.
Speaker 3: You know, it was a big brother little brother, male and female something like that, because there were two individuals, one smaller than the other, and just by their shall I say behavior, they were obviously together as some sort of unit. Because the first one saw me, saw my headlights, stopped, turned and paused briefly, while the second individual came up and joined it, and they were both both hauling it together. You know, they were like you and I running a marathon. It's like they were basically shoulder to shoulder pretty much. So because of that behavior, it was almost like the first one was looking out for the second one and ensuring that it was going to join them where they could exit the road together in some sort of social dynamic in a way.
Speaker 1: What's the story with the project? I mean, I'm sure everybody would want to know about this, everybody would like to see it. Is there any news on any progress with this documentary being released?
Speaker 2: Well, we went. I went when I was up at your place. When I went up there with the whole trailer deal, I was went over to Flippies And this is the craziest part. Flippy Salm and I all have hard drive copies of we recaught, We copied and recopied things, like we had multiple We had like five hard drives with the footage on them. And the craziest thing is like it just like it disappeared, like certain segments disappeared on on all the hard drives. Like we just were like it was just nuts and then it wasn't like like tons of it, but there was like certain key points and then there was other parts where the audio was really bad or like the camera. Well. The big problem too, is that we had guys we had three or four editors working on all different platforms like app like you know, Apple and PC and one guy's using Adobe, the guys using Renaissance, you know, and that seemed to like cause a lot of a lot of issues. So we had to go back through and then there was partsy missing because I ended up going up there like five times total, you did. Yeah, we're trying to get stuff. We had to reshoot some stuff, and now we got to reshoot more stuff. And that was that was the problem with that whole thing. Was like when those the pandemics hit, like the like all those officers were closed. You couldn't go in, like we needed to shoot stuff. With the Forest Service because like I went through like a I mean, I was really trying to get this thing together. They wouldn't give any permits because of COVID. Like we're out in the middle of the woods, they're not going to give us permits. And then uh, as people, I'm sure our listeners are well aware, prices on everything went up like double so the budget got eaten up real quick, like uh, you know, just fuel, and I spent over like geese, like thirteen grand on it. Like with everything said and done, and it's totally salvageable. And there's been a couple of things income generating things I had on in the on the skillet, and there's one that's that's cooking right now and I'm not sure what it's coming through, but I'm hoping not too far into the summer. It's looking more like juneish is as you can get paid out on that hopefully.
Speaker 1: So does it come down to money? And basically is at it just like you need time and money to go reshoot a bunch of stuff that that was lost or corrupted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly, and stuff we didn't even lost some stuff we have. It's just that the sound is so like like this sound this sounds everything, you know, like in a lot of like those not everything, but it's it's a big factor. We just it's such a bitch and story and marks such a great character like we went up and filled with those family. I mean, it's it's the bones of it are awesome. I mean, like just you've heard what's going on. Just what you heard today like gives you a good look at it. And it was my first I'm doing stuff like this, so obviously I've made a bunch of mistakes. Goes without saying, but yeah, I mean it's it's we got we got the bones there. I got to say it. It's a lot more difficult to put a film together than it would seem.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's true. But yeah, I mean, I mean, you know, you explained a lot to me because I was ready to like buy the project for it from you.
Speaker 4: It's like, God, let's get this thing done.
Speaker 3: But it sounds like, you know, you're in the middle of like ironing out like a lot of wrinkles too, Like you said, you know, stuff on different platforms and dealing with you know, dealing with recreating audio or you know that that kind of stuff.
Speaker 4: But you're right.
Speaker 3: I mean, it wasn't. It wasn't like my first film project. But you know, I had had a little bit of experience, but you've had a lot more experience than I have. But I got to say, the stuff that we shot up there was just incredible. It's a great, great story, it's a great project. But some of the stuff that that I know that was shot, it's just amazing. It's putting it all together. It's gonna be great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's gonna come together. It's gonna be it's gonna be awesome. But yeah, I was hoping someone with big bucks that wants to go out and have fun and go out to like a real squatchy spot might want to, like, you know, just throw in on it to get it, get it finished up, and have a good time hanging out with me, Mark and finish up. We need to finish up.
Speaker 1: Attention potential sugar daddies.
Speaker 3: Pretty much or sugar mama's. Yeah, well, hell I'll be. I'll be the sugar daddy if I can afford it. Man, just tell me what you need and I'll chip in. I mean, i'll be I'll be the second executive producer. If we need to because it's like such a good story and honestly just going up there again and to you know, reshoot whatever we need to reshoot. I need to go up there anyway to continue on the project, you know, the Thompson Flat historical stuff. I need to go up there anyway. And the area is just gorgeous. I mean, the area is really really beautiful up there at the very top where we're camping and you have to go down into the into the river of the South Fork of the Sixes. This place had never been I know, that area had never been logged because it's just too damn steep. You're going basically straight down for about a mile and a half and with no like switchbacks or anything in this huge area of old growth. It's just gorgeous out there. It's amazing. And you get down to the bottom and you're you're in You're in living history. You're in living history of the of the eighteen eighties and eighteen nineties of these guys with apparently mules or something, took down these massive hunks of metal to deal with the hydraul hydraulogy hydraulics projects for their plaster mines and stuff. There's a couple of old cabins from the eighteen nineties down there. It's it's it's a gorgeous place. I'm in love with it. I could I could live down there.
Speaker 4: It's great.
Speaker 2: It's it is beautiful. Yeah, it's it's rugged, man like. Going in and out of that place is brutal. It's a it's quite a high. It gives you social respect for those I mean I already had it, but just you know those miners early in Timber guys, what they dealt with is like, oh my god, they packed all because you see these old you know, mining pieces of like this all came in by wheelbarrow and donkeys and mules and horses, you know, and people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and these these individual items, even if you're able to for all the hydraulics and stuff, even if you're able to unbolt them, I wouldn't be able to pick them up. I mean these are massive cast iron man huge hunts of stuff. It's amazing the development that they put into this place for mining in the eighteen eighties and eighteen nineties. And then when these four guys you know, shut up dead and there are a lot of people are having really aggressive encounters with these sasquatchs tearing up their camps and everything. I forget it, you know, it's just like Ape Canyon, like, forget it, We're out of here, and it never took off again. The gold, the gold operation, they just abandoned at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in each one of those circumstances, they left a small fortune behind, whether it's a producing gold mine as an Ape Canyon, or this massive amount of infrastructure down below, because you know, steel's not cheap, you know, for anybody, you know, and putting that much effort in time, that's a small fortune.
Speaker 4: For these people. That's right.
Speaker 1: Everything about this is fascinating just because it's it lives in the shadow of the Ape Canyon events, but it's still equally weird and spooky, and there's bigfoots and cabins and mines and all that sort of stuff involved. I think it's of interest that all the early reports that Mark mentioned earlier, the animals were a blondish color, and sure enough, that's the color of the animals that Mark saw, So there might you might be looking at the same gene pool just one hundred years later.
Speaker 2: We got three people in the last twenty years that have seen blondish gold ones there, you know, within a five mile radius.
Speaker 3: Also, it's true because right after we left, maybe about two well it was in springtime. If I remember, Kim had been talking. Kim Christensen had been talking with a friend and her friend had been up there around the Elk River on the other side of Thompson Flat and saw an individual And with that, Kim said, without any prompting, her friend said exactly that, Yeah, it was sort of yellow blonde. So we're talking about a regional variant, if you will, that's kind of limited to that, to that area that keeps all the reports keep coming back yellow blonde.
Speaker 4: It's interesting.
Speaker 1: Well, we have a lot more conversation to do. Let's move over to the members section. But before we do, I just want to remind everybody that squatch Fest is coming up. Matt pro is going to be speaking. I'm going to be speaking, and of course, Mark, you're going to be there, right or you're not speaking this year, are you?
Speaker 4: No, I'm not I'm not speaking this year.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I am planning to be there. Our good friend Eli from Small Town Monsters has some business to do there, so we're all planning. Not Matt's going to be there. You're going to be there, so we're all planning to meet there and kel so.
Speaker 1: Oh fantastic. Well, I look forward to seeing you in person once again always yep. All right, Bob, but why don't you pull us out of this one and we'll go jump into the members episode for those folks, And if you want to be a member again, hit that on the link down of the show notes. It's five bucks a month. You get this episode, regular sort of episodes, completely commercial free, and of course you get an extra about an hour content every single week.
Speaker 2: All right, Mark, thanks so much for joining us. Thank you listeners for joining us. We're gonna continue this over with the Patreon section for the members. Yeah, so Mark Bursel, the great Mark Burcell here thanks to a lot. Mark takes fun to know one. Thanks Bobs Man. Now, welcome back every week. I love you guys, all right, so hopefully we have some good news with you on the updates for the movie this summer. All right, So all right, folks, you know to do it until next week. Keep it squatchy.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to this week's episode of Bigfoot and Beyond. If you liked what you heard, please rate and review us on iTunes, subscribe to Bigfoot and Beyond wherever you get your podcasts, and follow us on Facebook and Instagram at Bigfoot and Beyond podcast. You can find us on Twitter at Bigfoot and Beyond that's an N in the middle, and tweet us your thoughts and questions with the hashtag Bigfoot and Beyond