Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Wednesday, March twelfth, twenty twenty five. President Trump today openly challenging US allies by increasing tariffs on steel and aluminum imports to twenty five percent. He's vowing now to take back wealth he says was stolen by other countries.
Speaker 2: Here's the quote. This is what he told reporters today.
Speaker 1: The United States of America is going to take back a lot of what was stolen from it by other countries and frankly by incompetent US leadership. He went on to tell reporters, We're going to take back our wealth, and we're going to take back a lot of the companies that left.
Speaker 2: We are going to see some rain today.
Speaker 1: Hi, I've been listening to your show all morning, most mornings, and I was wondering if you could tell me when the rain's going to start.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know where you are, but where we are here in Burbank, in the valley, we're expecting it after lunch. So see a few showers maybe on our drive home, but the majority of the rain is going to be coming in later tonight into tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Casey Montoya told us that at the top of the hour last hour from KTLA, that it's going to be while we're sleeping, that the most is going to hit.
Speaker 3: Wall we're sleep It's gonna wake you up. In some cases, the sound of the rain will wake you up, which is a nice thing to Marik.
Speaker 2: I do love that.
Speaker 1: I love the sound of rain waking me up in the middle of the night, unless it's dripping onto your face. Unless I'm a survivalist on a ten day apocalypse training mission.
Speaker 3: Which is you know, or eight months in space. Maybe that's maybe that's a good gift idea.
Speaker 1: Should I send my husband to something like learn to live off the land? Honey?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, Maybe, Well he climbs.
Speaker 2: He's a he likes the longer hikes than are necessary.
Speaker 1: Doesn't he climbed that Mount Whitney that you drove past us.
Speaker 2: What about the dude ranch thing.
Speaker 1: My husband and a dude Ranch.
Speaker 2: Well, you just.
Speaker 3: Suggested a ten day survival camp. Yeah, I think dude ranch would be a little bit more.
Speaker 1: Make you see him like riding horses, though I see him, you know, whittling branches more than I see him roping a calf.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't see him douse. He's like Deborah with the animal stuff. He doesn't eat red meat or anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 4: Astronauts where moisture wiki underwear on the I s changed every few days and discarded. Since there's no laundry in space for spacewalks and long missions, they use disposable maximum absorbancy garments adult diapers under their space suits. They wear a cooling suit with the liquid tubes, which is reused. How about that that's.
Speaker 2: A long That's a long light.
Speaker 1: Thank you. That was a long light that you were able to google all that with your turn signal on?
Speaker 3: Thank you, Major League Baseball. I don't know why they don't just have some guys. If you need someone to do just a quick quality control check on your products, just send them to us.
Speaker 2: I'll just do a quick check on Just just send them to us.
Speaker 1: So I saw this on the news last night, or it was just as I was passing the TV, something about different ball Caps, Angels, and Rangers among other teams that had caps pulled from shelves because there were vulgarities on set.
Speaker 2: Caps like what so.
Speaker 3: New Era is the company that makes all of the caps for Major League Baseball, the ones that are officially licensed, and they come out with new variations of them every year. You think of the Dodgers hat, there's one Dodgers hat. It's blue.
Speaker 2: It's got the white LA on it. Period. That's what they've worn forever.
Speaker 1: They've got the cursive white D No. No, that's very pop.
Speaker 2: But they don't wear that.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess they sometimes wear that in spring training and their variations, but on the field in major league games, they wear LA period.
Speaker 2: I love.
Speaker 3: I love the consistency of that. Even the Giants, and I say it with a little bit of a sneer, have added orange caps to their You.
Speaker 1: Know what pains me is the way you say the Giants like that, you kind of crane. No. No, I feel the same way about the forty nine ers right now. Oh, because it's everything is just the blood letting that's going and I got well.
Speaker 3: In this case, New Era came out with these caps. There's one for every team and it's got the name of the team. Most of them, it's the the the mascot, right, so it's got for example, the Baltimore.
Speaker 2: Orioles.
Speaker 3: It's got orioles and the big orange script, but right over the top of it is the big bird mascot, so you can all.
Speaker 1: Going on there.
Speaker 3: You can only see the O and then the L s because the Oriole's name is in sort of on the background, it's covered by this big dumb bird.
Speaker 2: Got it Boston?
Speaker 3: For example, it says Boston and then it's got a giant B over the middle of it, so you only see the BO and the O N.
Speaker 2: You see bosin, which also doesn't make a low.
Speaker 3: So in this case, there were a couple of When you when you add letters over the word, it.
Speaker 2: Can be contrude. Is something wrong?
Speaker 1: So for example, question about Boston, what did they have on theirs?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 3: It says Boston and then it's got a giant B over the word Boston.
Speaker 1: Oh, a B not like a bzzbe. I'm like, why would they?
Speaker 2: I did say bird and that was so very confused.
Speaker 3: The angels, for example, I'll start with the astros, so it says astros on the hat, and then over it it's got the H that is usually alone on their cap, so it says as shows, which apparently if you say it quickly might come out as something.
Speaker 2: You don't want it to see exactly.
Speaker 3: The Texas Rangers, THEIRS says Texas as opposed to Rangers.
Speaker 1: So angels would be anal right, right in the Texas case, you see the letters te t a s taitas, which apparently is.
Speaker 2: That boobs, oh Tita.
Speaker 1: Okay, Now I have a question, is taitas like a bad way to say boobs? Like, because there's a way to say boobs on this CEE and I'm doing again, I'm to get in trouble. But there's a way to say boobs that we cannot say on this program, for example.
Speaker 2: Would be very similar to what the hat says.
Speaker 1: Is that Taita's is that is bad as the other T word I'm thinking about.
Speaker 2: I don't think so, okay, got it?
Speaker 1: So we can say tata's all we want?
Speaker 2: Yes you can?
Speaker 3: All right, Well you're taking Elmer's word for it, then I believe it els a lot of trust you're putting in him.
Speaker 2: Right now.
Speaker 1: He's from the Dominican, I know.
Speaker 2: Let's see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, No, that's exactly the translation that I come up with when I put it in. Really yeah, now that's not saying you can't say it. But I'm just saying you should just beat you just with the tatas, because if you were to, if you were to just use a more what would be the word a more anatomically correct? If you were to say breast?
Speaker 2: How do I say?
Speaker 1: Comos Cities say breast and Espanol tatas?
Speaker 2: What about say no?
Speaker 1: Is that s only doctors say that?
Speaker 3: Well, that's what I'm saying. It would be a more more medical version.
Speaker 2: Anyway. The hats are ugly. They're awful.
Speaker 3: The hats are ugly there, and they're inconsistent because in some cases it's got the name of the mascot and in some cases it's got the name.
Speaker 2: Of the city.
Speaker 3: It's just it's a stupid You don't have to you don't have to do this over and over again.
Speaker 1: Are you upset with Are you upset with me? Or with the hats? I won't bring up any other body parts. I doubt it, I promise you I doubt it. Write it down.
Speaker 2: Ten six.
Speaker 3: We're an hour and fifteen in. We have company coming and we need to clean this up.
Speaker 2: Yes, Gary and Shannon to clean it up. All about Wango Tango. When we come back.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Got this text alert last yesterday as we were leaving that Tiger Woods, Torre's achilles he would return to Major. His return to Major Golf may not happen in Georgia. The Sun of Savannah, the fifteen time Major winner, revealed yesterday he had surgery for a ruptured achilles. They said it was minimally invasive, but it's your achilles. So he will not be playing at the Masters in augusta next month.
Speaker 3: Well, we've talked before about Wango Tango of course coming back to southern California, and it is headed to the beach this year, Saturday, May tenth, Hauntington City Beach Wango Tangles All Star lineup. It is going to feature performances people like.
Speaker 1: Doja, kats Megan trainer, David Getta, Katsi and Mix. I mean, it's gonna be a lot of fun. But also performing at Sunset Picture this Huntington Beach Sunset.
Speaker 3: Gwen Stefani joining us to talk more about Wango Tango is Siciny of course, Who's the co host of on Air with Ryan Seacrest every morning upstairs, Sicity, thanks for thanks for making time for us again today.
Speaker 2: Of course. Hi.
Speaker 6: How are you guys?
Speaker 2: Are you good? Are you excited about this lineup?
Speaker 6: I'm so excited and I'm just so excited that Wayne O Tango is back, you know, and the fact that we are completely reinventing it. We're doing something that we've never done before. We're literally building it out on the beach in Hunington Beach. It's going to be incredible.
Speaker 1: It's going to be super wild with all the K pop performers as well. I mean, it's going to take it to another level.
Speaker 6: It really is. And I mean the tickets go on out tomorrow for Kislub, they go ontof of the public Friday. I imagine this selling out because it's something that is gonna really kind of just everybody's gonna want to be there.
Speaker 1: What are you gonna wear?
Speaker 6: Good question? Well, you know, it is like on the beach, so you have to picture your toes in the fans that really kind of already rolls out a bunch of shoes and stuff. True, probably it would normally go to a concert, but this is like a beach day. It is a destination. Wango Tango and you know there's hotels across the street. That it's Mother's Day weekend, and so you can really kind of make a full weekend out of this and enjoy a complete full day at the beach, go into the village, ride the Ferrisville, come back out Sea Megan Trainer, catch Gwen Stefani at sunset like it's just an all day thing.
Speaker 3: Well, that's great, and we know that you guys have you guys always put on a great show when you guys do Wango Tango, So this should be very very cool.
Speaker 2: Siciny, thanks for taking time for us.
Speaker 6: Thank you, and you know I didn't come empty handed. We have tickets if you want to give a care out.
Speaker 1: Oh let's do it.
Speaker 2: Why not? I love it. Collar number six sounds good to me.
Speaker 3: One eight hundred five to zero one five three four, eight hundred and five to oh one KFI Colin number six is gonna win tickets to Wango Tango coming up Saturday, May tenth.
Speaker 2: Now that's official. Look at that.
Speaker 1: You can thank Siciny for that, not Ryan, Yes, thanks.
Speaker 2: Thanks, have a great day again.
Speaker 3: Tickets go on sale tomorrow for VIPs, but Thursday general public at a XS dot com for Wango Tango, Saturday, May tenth.
Speaker 1: Would you like some blueberries? I have some blueberries and they're cold.
Speaker 2: Cold? Why are they cool? I like blueberries cold? Oh that's right. I mean well, because I was asking.
Speaker 1: I was asking because of the wellness desk that's coming out.
Speaker 2: Yes, are they processed the blueberries? Yeah? No, okay, let's talk about let's talk about one.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about ultra processed foods and why our brains are turning to mush.
Speaker 1: There's one reason. No, no, no, there's a cornicopia of reasons. Gary and Shannon will continue. Michael Monks, Oh my goodness, just disclaimer. Michael Monks has had a lot of caffe.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Good morning, good morning, let's go.
Speaker 5: Let's go it.
Speaker 2: He's coming in hot run time.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: We will get into swamp Watch at the top of the hour. Among other things, obviously the latest on what's going on with terras. President Trump says we've been taken advantage of for a long time, and it's time to uh as Gavin Newsom might say, time to level set a little bit and stress test the economic policies of other countries.
Speaker 1: Yesterday we talked about the DA in La County not going forward with his predecessors, planning to let the Menendez brothers out or try to let them out, laying out the case that was litigated so many years ago about why they were convicted of murdering their parents premeditated murder of their parents. Mark Garrigus was representing one of them at least when on the Today Show and was hilarious. I mean, it's very funny. It was very funny the things that he said about this case. We'll get to that coming up later as well.
Speaker 2: Hi, Gary, Hi Shannon.
Speaker 5: I really enjoyed the show.
Speaker 6: Hey, where was creepy?
Speaker 5: Gary?
Speaker 6: I was explaining to.
Speaker 7: See Keithy Montoya? All right, I'll be good day, all.
Speaker 1: Right, I can control myself. You did, you really did? You showed great restraint.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 7: Good morning, Shannon. Good morning Gary.
Speaker 2: Shannon.
Speaker 7: You had mentioned that you didn't bring up penises.
Speaker 2: The entire week.
Speaker 7: Gary was gone. You know, I have come to decide, after listening to the two of you back together again this week, isn't I our fault? Gary's like that big brother who pokes him pradu until he brings out those things in you, which is lovely for the show dynamic. But I blame Garry.
Speaker 2: It's all his fault, so don't even stress it.
Speaker 8: Shannon, think you're great.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: You honestly think that somehow I prod you into saying those things.
Speaker 1: I think that, uh, I can be impressionable at times, and when I am with a stunted.
Speaker 8: I'm just kids.
Speaker 2: Sorry to come out right.
Speaker 1: Sometimes when I'm with you, I regress to the way that I am with my brother, and that would bring us back to growing up.
Speaker 2: And my presence is what I don't want to.
Speaker 1: Do, like fart jokes with you, know, Keana, But when you're here, you're like a teenage boy that I also want to be a teenage boy with.
Speaker 9: Okay, Saturday make Camp have already passed for Wango Tango on Saturday make Camp is already passed, sir for Wango Sir.
Speaker 2: Maybe you got the date round are you? We're in March, living in a different world than everybody else.
Speaker 1: We're all going through things.
Speaker 9: Saturday, Saturday, May tenth has already passed.
Speaker 1: Okay, I gotta say I'm kind of with him and I don't blame him. I blame the time change, which screws with your head more than it shows people. I'm not, but it's one hour and it screws with people more than it should.
Speaker 2: It really does.
Speaker 1: And I was looking at an expiration date that had it was May tenth, and I thought to myself, Oh, well, that's already passed. It's the twelfth. So I did the same thing, confusing March and May. I don't know what it is, but I blame daylight saving time.
Speaker 2: It's time for our wellness segment. I feel terrible.
Speaker 1: He spends most of his day at the office city in a variety of activities, and preferably some exercise late in the afternoon.
Speaker 2: I never exercised a day of my life. We've just got to sit here and wait till die. Every morning, I smoke a cigarette and for lunch, I eat a bacon sandwich, and I usually drink my dinner.
Speaker 5: Kistar for period Periodic Guide for Wellness and Personal Improvement for Health.
Speaker 3: Love that former life scientists at the National Institutes of Health are interested in answering this question. If ultra processed foods, especially those that are high in fat and sugar, can they cause a similarly outsized dopamine response, suggesting that they could be addictive. Yes, how much money do we spend at the National Institutes of Health to determine if oreos are addictive?
Speaker 1: This is interesting, yes, yeah, but right, But there's one addiction where you can be like, oh, these are so addicting, I love these, I want to keep eating them. And then there's like the real thing, which is yes, it's clinically addictive, these processed foods. And I support to them doing studies like this so that then we can go after after the ultra processed food industry, which creates the foods to make you addicted, which makes you unhealthy, and you're not gaining any sort of real happiness out of these foods. It's just the stupid neurons in your brain telling you that you want more. It's not really making you happy. It's just making you think that it's making you happy. And I'm all about going after this industry. It is the same industry that got us hooked on cigarettes. It is the tobacco industry that is pivoted into ultra processed foods. I really support this article out of the Washington Post, and it's about ultra process snacks, and it says, yeah, they're bad, but here are the healthiest options, because listen, we've already been screwed over by the industry. We're already addicted to the ultra process snacks. So if we're going to have them from time to time, how can we get the healthiest one?
Speaker 3: Well, and think about this, the difference between what we would consider healthy today and what was considered healthy, say to one years ago, where if you went into a snack aisle you had things like snack wells and low sugar cookies and all of those things. But to if you take sugar out of a cookie as an example, you got to put a bunch of other stuff in there to make it palatables there.
Speaker 2: And it's those.
Speaker 3: Extra things that are being put in there that completely destroy the inside of our bodies and sometimes the outsides of our bodies.
Speaker 1: To your point about what used to be healthy, I was at a target recently and I was looking at trail mix. Now, trail mix used to only be in the nature food stores, which was no fun, no fun at all, no taste, no salt, no sugar. Right, Well, the ultra processed food industry has taken your trail mix industry and revolutionized it. It's a candy aisle. It is a candy aisle. There's about forty different types of using air quotes here trail mix at the target, and some of them are like peanut butter chip, chocolate chips, and toffee chips with some peanuts and a couple of almonds. Boom, trail mix and listen, I love all that stuff. Like, I'm not knocking it at all. I'm just saying that sometimes what's sold to you is healthy is not.
Speaker 3: Well and that what I love about this article I think you do too, is that this doesn't say snacks are all bad. And some of what you would consider ultra processed foods, like chips, there are healthier alternatives, they say, for example, potato chips, tortilla chips. I love that. I love that food group of chips. But they say that a lot of them obviously going to have extra sodium, They're going to have extra saturated fats, and some of the more exotic ones, especially lately, are going to have more of those synthetic food dyes and additives like maltodextrin and corntine.
Speaker 1: Me I'm a cracker street worker, I love crackers. I enjoy the salt on cracker. I like saltea. I'll eat a sleeve of saltines and thinks nothing of it.
Speaker 2: Well, and they had the same.
Speaker 3: The crackers are similar to chips, and that you got to watch out for the enriched flour, the excess sodium, the sugars and fats. So in terms of chips, one of the things to look for, and as a general rule I think is pretty safe, is the fewer ingredients or the fewest ingredients in some of these things. For example, the Siete Foods dip chip, grain free tortilla chip. They have extra fiber in there, which is good for you coming from cilium husk and pumpkin powder. That sound great, but they don't. They don't have any saturated fats. They don't have any emulsifiers or any cosmetic additives. In terms of crackers, the Marry's Gone Crackers herb original made with organic seeds and grains, high in protein and fiber compared to some of the other brands. And it's it if you see something like maltodextrin or guar gum, or emulsifiers or things like that. Those ver all things that don't necessarily have to be in your food. The other issue is food is necessary. Maybe we need to reclassify what we consider food, Like cookies, cookies are foodies.
Speaker 2: They're not a food. They are a food. Cookies are a thing we eat, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they're food.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I just got to the cookies portion of the article and that's all I could think about.
Speaker 2: Or cookies. We'll think about it this way. You breathe, yeah, air breathe cookies. You know you breathe air.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But you can also inhale smoke from a cigarette. True, two things that you're doing. One of them is necessary, one of them is the same physical pattern of the necessary thing, the inhalation of something. But you're inhaling your cookies.
Speaker 1: You're trying to get me to favor these blueberries here, which are delicious. But you're trying to say that blueberries and cookies are the same thing. So if I just eat the blueberries, I'll be fine without the cookies.
Speaker 3: No, I would say it this way. Blueberries, the way you're eating them are food. Blueberry candy is not a food, although it's the same.
Speaker 1: I see zero, So, like, what's the healthy cookie option in your scenario.
Speaker 2: Let me check.
Speaker 1: I don't think they have Oh they do have healthy They do some.
Speaker 3: Healthy cookies in there at the bottom. I'll tell you what they are when we come back.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Well, go ahead. You wanted to say something important.
Speaker 1: Not necessarily, I will say, we've got tear in the skies headed your way. No, not right now, but it is on the way because we've got a passenger on a flight to Miami that attacked a flight attendant and then swallowed something rosary beads. I will say something and then we'll tell you good to this well. I think everyone should start thinking about what happens is that if they swallow?
Speaker 2: Yes? Is that very anti Catholic? What to swallow?
Speaker 7: The well?
Speaker 1: I think some people would think that was okay if you really felt that close to to marry and God and.
Speaker 2: Know because of what you just said, is what then happens to them? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Not a digestible thing. They are quite cumbersome. And also and the cross not a food cross when the cross comes out side.
Speaker 3: Hell, yeah, you got real angry about the culture processed food.
Speaker 5: Yeah, where are you going to go after the.
Speaker 2: Company's or they're selling something that we want.
Speaker 4: The're not doing anything wrong.
Speaker 5: Just don't buy the food. You'll be okay. I love you.
Speaker 2: I love you too.
Speaker 1: I'm not. I just I don't think that you want them. They want you to think that you want them. That's how I think about I want you want them? The nacho cheese to ritos you don't need. I don't need them, and I don't truly want them, but what they put in them makes my brain think I need them.
Speaker 2: That's yes. Absolutely.
Speaker 8: Hey Garyan Channon, listening to the health segment with the food thing, I got to tell you, I'm a product of the early seventies. I was born in mid sixties. Anyway, my friends always had TV dinners and ding dongs and Hostess cupcakes, and I was always pissed that my mom went and buy those things. But you know what, theyse all dying of diabetes.
Speaker 2: They got the sugar.
Speaker 1: So just cook it, man, just cook just cook it.
Speaker 3: So we're talking about cookies and my definition of food, it's not the definition of food, but for the for a purpose of what we're talking about, my definition is that's a good dress on her is food. That's is stuff that you eat that provides nutrition for you.
Speaker 1: Right, the fewer ingredients the better.
Speaker 2: The fewer ingredients the better.
Speaker 3: And cookies, I would have argued, are not a food because you can get minimal nutritional value out of them. But you're doing it to you're simply doing it for the pleasure of what you're eating, doing it out of necessity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my husband's been out of town, and I'll like cook when he's here, but he's been out of town.
Speaker 2: Smart, very smart.
Speaker 1: And I said to myself in my head the other day, I really feel like food for dinner. I feel like like crackers and cookies and ice cream. And but I had that thought, I don't really feel like food, like I don't really feel like a meal. I feel like crap. So we were talking about this Washington Post article.
Speaker 3: They looked at some of the healthiest options, even for processed snacks and cookies. Yes, whichever brand of cookie you choose, it's still a cookie, they said.
Speaker 2: Watch out for the excess sugar.
Speaker 3: It's not uncommon to find some brands of cookies that are twenty grams of sugar per cookie. That's about five tea spoons. A lot of them have saturated fats six or more grams of saturated R fat, which American Heart Association suggests only.
Speaker 1: Two my favorite kind of fat.
Speaker 3: Now, they said that there are some healthier options, the Urban Remedy Superfood Cookie chocolate chip, which is bite sized. One serving is three cookies by seven four grams of added sugar.
Speaker 1: It's like those Trader Joe's Baby chocolate chip cookies. Yes, the coming Yeah, whatever monster came up with that should be taken out back.
Speaker 3: The other option is Maxine's Heavenly Chocolate Chocolate Chunk cookies. They said the relatively low and sugar in saturated fat and pumpkin pecan spiced by that same brand have just three grams of added sugar per cookie two gram saturated fat. But again, you're also talking about serving size, which is way below anything that anybody realistically eats. If you're gonna sit down in a cookie, Kelly, the serving side, get out of here.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The other wellness story is just simply how and we've talked about this many times. Using AI, using smartphones, using all of the digital technology that's available to us now completely erodes the ability of our.
Speaker 2: Brain to focus, work, to work.
Speaker 3: Think about how often or how how rarely you would use a map to get to where you needed to go on a regular basis.
Speaker 1: I get mad at myself when I find myself reliant on that, especially when it's someplace I've been before, exactly so embarrassing.
Speaker 2: I turn it on all the time simply because it's a habit.
Speaker 3: Now, I don't need to know how to get to like my daughter's dorm room at cal Poly or something like that.
Speaker 1: You've been there before. You you should have a memory of it. If you don't, you're too distracted, and that's a problem.
Speaker 2: What I like is I like just to see the time that I'll get there. And that's true. I do love that. I do love.
Speaker 1: That's how they get you. That's how they get you. It's Bastard's ultra processed maps.
Speaker 2: That's how they get you.
Speaker 3: Chomp, chump, chomp, swamp watch when we come back to Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.