Speaker 1: In this episode, we talk about Mumbai, where the arrival of a bureaucrat has led to a crackdown on the food industry of the state, including well known establishments like Chirustam and Parsidiary Farm among others. We also talk about nearly forty people losing their lives due to reign related incidents in Gutrath, which is facing floods due to excessive rainfall. But first we talk about what finally led to the Hminra Pradhan's resignation and what that means for the ruling government. Hi, I am Aherikan Nanda and you are listening to three things in an Express News show. Bringing more than a month of student protests across several cities in the country to an end, Union Education ministered Hermindra Pradhan resigned on Saturday. The government accepted the protesters' key demands, including Pradhan's resignation and assurance that no legal action would be taken against those who took part in the protests and compensation for the families of neat aspirants who died by suicide after the paper league in May. In an open letter posted on x, Pradhan said he had decided to step down in the interest of national unity and to ensure that students would not face legal hurdles and could instead focus on their education and careers. Post the announcement on X the Corporad Chunka party, which had mobilized the protests, celebrated the win.
Speaker 2: Very d tell you we are good. Yea hell is karma Stepokar.
Speaker 1: Now, yesterday the government replaced Pradhan with Halad Joshi, who is also the Union Food and Consumer Affairs Minister. So to understand how events unfolded over the past month and what ultimately led to Pradhan's resignation, we speak to the Indian Expresses Jatin Anand, who has been reporting on the story. Jatin, what does Tarminro Pradhan's resignation mean in the current context, especially with protests across the country having demanded exactly that.
Speaker 3: It is certainly a big development to say the least. This is not only a very rare occasion where the PGP led India government has sort of retracted, sort of gone a couple of steps back to be able to move slightly forward in terms of the legislative business that it has on its agenda for the ongoing monsoon session, but in the largest scheme of things in terms of its administrative and governmental experience since it has come to power. This is just the second instance of a senior minister, with the first being mister M. J. Albert who had stepped down after met allegations had surfaced against him. So mister Dhmindra Padhan is the second senior cabinet minister from the JP led India government to put in his papers. And on the other hand, if we talk about the government's functioning or the government's perception or the government's experience in power, the jpled India government's experience, this is the third time that they're climbing down from a nationwide from a national issue, with the first being the CAAA NRC protests which had spread across the country starting from Asam and with Asam being a major flashpoint. Following that, it was the three Farm laws which had the farmer community across states almost across the country up in arms, with the second such instance of such an issue which forced the j P led India government to climb down. So this is the third time that the JP led NDA government has taken two steps back to be able to move one step forward in terms of its larger.
Speaker 1: Agenda and what does his resignation mean for the government and the BJP.
Speaker 3: Well, we must see this and this must be answered from the point of view of the fact that the monsoon session of the Parliament is currently underway. This is a government which was looking to after it tried to bring in the Delimitation Package as it is called, which had a Constitution amendment and also a proposed law for delimitation of Lok Saba seats across the country and also tied along with that was the Women's Reservation build So for a government which had these important bills on its agenda and was looking to stitch together a two third majority which is required for it to be able to pass these laws, for that government, from that point of view, it is a very significant development it has instead of being able to move forward and get more numbers on its side, in this context, this is certainly a defeat.
Speaker 1: And Jatin, how have students and protesters reacted to his resignation and what kind of reactions have we seen from CGP leaders.
Speaker 3: So for these protesters from across age groups, from across academic courses, espousing different causes for them. It has been jubilation. It has triggered jubilation all around, so much so that as soon as mister Dermindrupdan's sudden announcement of his stepping down from the education portfolio emerged yesterday, they were all at stat tic. I mean, all it takes is just going through one's social media timeline and there is jubilation all around as far as the current circumstances are concerned. So from that perspective, it is a victory that the students have rightly claimed for themselves, all the protesters have rightly claimed for themselves yesterday, and more or less the celebrations still continue, but they seem to be rather localized since the large focal point that Juandra Manther was is no longer there. It's been dismantled since last night.
Speaker 1: And you write that at the beginning of the week there were no indications that remainder Prashand would resign. In fact, the government didn't seem to be considering it. So what changed, what led to this decision, and what ultimately prompted his resignation.
Speaker 3: So a brief chronology of these four days is important to underline. So Monday you have these clashes which erupted between security personnel and students. Tuesday, as his customary, Prime ministerner In Remodi chaired a meeting of the NDA Parliamentary Party, which had representatives not just on the PJP but also from significant NDA allies like the TDP, the GDU and so on and so forth assembling in the Parliament. So, following this NDA parliamentary meeting, which happened in the parliament, Parliamentary Affairs Minister current Dju came out in briefed reporters about the fact that mister Moody had spoken about the issue. He had spoken about the classes between or rather alluded to the classes between students slash protesters and security personnel. According to mister Rigiju, in the meeting, mister Moody had underlined the fact that whenever an instance of a paper leak an exam paper league had come to light, the NBA government had moved swiftly to take action and also to underline that sure, there, okay, yes, it is unfortunate that there was a paper leak in the need UGC exam. But despite that, and following that, the government not only ensured that the paper was canceled, but also ensured that the re examination could happen and lacks of students who had lost out on a possible opportunity to be able to qualify, how they were given a second chance at this despite the paper leak. So on Wednesday we had the NDA take a step forward and put its weight behind a discussion of the need issue, and not just the need issue, but to discuss all instances of paper leaks which have taken place across states in the country. On Thursday, the next day, the tone of the government more or less changed. It became less combative and he saw Prime Minister Narramudi try to take the issue ahead on himself by announcing on his X account that efforts were underway to ensure that fast track courts were established across the country to tackle such issues in the future. This was followed by a public appeal by Prime Minister Modi on his X account late on Thursday night, where he sought to seemingly address students himself. He began his address by calling his viewers friends, which, according to Party in Ciders, was a clear indication that he was directly attempting to address the student community of the country.
Speaker 4: Friends, the paper league, he are Italy paper lead such aid ahead.
Speaker 3: And then on that very evening, within a few minutes, we had another big development take place, which was Sonmanchuk ending is fast at the hands of union ministers JP Nada and doctor Singh. And then on Friday Prime mister Movie posted the same video message on Instagram and he actually thanked his audience and you know the people per se for giving quote unquote constructive suggestions on his previous post.
Speaker 5: Thank your friends, called the rath video posta update this thanks to everybody Ya papara amaranata or a sakaratas, thank you, thank you dothor.
Speaker 3: So this sort of underlying the fact that all responses, all public sentiment around what was happening at Janramantar. So all of this was being monitored and it appears and we are told reliably that it was only after the government realized that there is no comeback from this, that there is no other alternative left then honoring the primary demand, which was mister's resignation. So the government realized that the only alternative left for them is to just get that done.
Speaker 1: Right and Jatin now Joshi has taken over as the Union Education minister tell us about him and what kind of a political career has he seen.
Speaker 3: Yes, so, mister Joshi is somebody who is considered very close to the powers that be, to the national leadership of the DJP. He is somebody who has risen through the ranks since he's been associated, for example, with the SUNG since his early days. He comes from Karnataka, which the BJP RSIST combined considers a very significant nodal point as far as its influence across Southern India is concerned. Mister Joshi is as per what I've been told and as per my discussions with some people in the party since last evening, he is considered to be somebody who brings a strategic edge to not just his governmental duties but also to organizational matters. He has served as, for example, the chief of the BJP's local unit in Karnataka for a long time. He has served as Parliamentary Affairs Minister in the previous India government. And currently he's also somebody who is leading this very significant central government scheme which is the PM Suregger Muftbisli Yozana, which basically as solar power at its core. So he's a senior hand who has not only cut his teeth in the organization but also in the government. So looking at his appointment in this context, given the current circumstances, the Ndia government does have a very significant legislative agenda which on its roster. So it remains to be seen how effective mister Joshi will be in Parliament because he's no longer Parliamentary Affairs Minister like he was earlier, but as the new Education Minister.
Speaker 6: Right and Sutton.
Speaker 1: We also understand that the government is going to introduce a more stringent law against paper leagues. What what can we expect from that?
Speaker 3: Well, this is a law which has been crafted after an entire at least an entire day's work, with the Prime Minister's office said to have been monitoring everything related to it between Wedness Day and Thursday night, when Prime Minister Mudi himself in a video message announced that the draft was ready and the draft to be tabled in the Union Cabinet, which eventually happened on Friday and the draft received the nod of the Union Cabinet and is now in bill form and is listed for tabling in the log Saha by Union Minister Jitenrissingh on Monday. So this law, which is called the Public Examination's Prevention of Unfair Means Amendment at twenty twenty six, it has already been circulated among members of Parliament on Saturday. So this law seeks to increase the punishment for those involved in you know, quote unquote unfair means, including the leagues of question papers of public examinations, to increase their imprisonment from three to five years to a quantum of five to ten years number one, and also increasing the find which was previously to piece ten LAK to repeace, fifty LAC to ten crow rupeace. So the teeth that the government intends to give the particular law, I mean, they don't get sharper than this. So this proposed law will cover all examinations conducted by the Union Public Service Commission, which is the UPC which administers the examinations which give us the countries ifs and IAS and IPS officers. It will also include the Staff Selection Commission which also at the central level and as well as the state and also the Railway Recruitment Board and similar examinations which are held across the country.
Speaker 1: And next we turned to Mumbai, where bureaucrats arrival has put the city's food industry on edge. In the last two months, Maharashtra's Food and Drug Administration has carried out multiple inspections across the state, seized food stock worth nearly fifty row rupees, invoked stringent MACOCA law against organized GOODCA networks and suspended the licenses of dozens of restaurants.
Speaker 6: So the crackdown began with the new FDA Commissioner Tukaramunde who took chart on May twenty fifth, and since then crackdown have been very, very extensive.
Speaker 1: That's the Indian expresses Nina Kandelwald, who reported on the story for the newspaper.
Speaker 6: If I have to give you numbers, there were over one thousand inspection slash raids between May twenty fifth and July fourteenth. This is from the cumulative data that every shared with all the journalists and the raids are across various sectors.
Speaker 1: And these are not just small or unknown establishments. Some of Mumbai's oldest and best known food institutions, including Kousam Nour Mohammadi, Chalimar and Parsi Dairy Farm have faced action and at the center of this crackdown is Tukaram Mundi, who has long been seen as an officer who enforces ruled strictly and resists political pressure. So to understand what explains Tukara Mundai's latest crackdown and why are Mumbai's restaurants anxious, my colleague Chashama spoke to Hina for this segment.
Speaker 7: Hinaw for our listeners who may be hearing his name for the very first time, could you begin by introducing Tukaram Mundei his background as a public servant.
Speaker 6: Right, So, Tukara Munday is the two thousand and five Batch I officer and he is amongst Mahrastra's most discussed civil servants. He hears from Bead region. He was born in a family of farmers and he describes his father as an honest and hard working man and he credits him for instilling in him the values you know with which he run today. He is somebody who takes pride in being an honest IS officer and over the years, like is somebody who has had I think around twenty five transfers in a career of two decades, you know, making him one of Maharashtra's most frequently trying is officers.
Speaker 7: Right, and so what has changed inside Maharashtra's FDA since Monday took charge? And also why has this enforcement drive attracted so much attention?
Speaker 6: So he took chart on May twenty fifth, and just to tell you from a journalistic point of view, it wasn't like the actions were not taken earlier. Okay, it was not like inspections were not being done or raids were not being made. But what has happened is that they were never of this level. The intensity is much much higher. Like when we talk about eleven hundreds or so odd rates in like fifty odd days, it comes to like twenty rates per day, you know, even if you include weekends, and that's a massive number. Right. What he's doing is that he's doing a parallel crackdown on across industries. You know, whether it is somebody giving out a misleading advertisement selling irvathic medicine for serious ailments, whether it is illegal stocking of methanol which is used in production of country made liquor which is called they see you know, daru, whether there's unlicensed drug stocks like allopathic medicine, antibatic injections or and a big crackdown has happened in the food sector where restaurants, bakeries, eateries, dairies were involved in milk production, milk supply, milk transportation. He has paying special attention on adult treated milk and selling of good kind pan masala. So what he's doing essentially is that he's going heavy on milk, good car and food. And he has also issued compliance orders. Is issued three compliance orders, one each for food, milk and good car.
Speaker 7: Right, and so when it comes to restaurants and dairies, what are they being asked to do.
Speaker 6: When it comes to restaurants, the compliance order clearly puts in place what FSSI has already put in place that you have to have a valid license, your place of working, of kitchen you know where you're cooking should be hygienic. All the people who are handling food should undergo medical fitness exam annually. To produce should be fresh. No item of expiritage should be used in the kitchen or should be there in the kitchen. When it comes to milk, he's paying special attention on adulteration, whether it is adding water or ten other things, which makes it very very harmful for consumption. The compliance that he has, you know ordered also again puts in place the roles that each person in the supply chaint has to follow. The person who's a milk producer or a dairy farmer has to follow a high tien practice while milking the cows and the buffalos. When it goes to the dairy, all the people have been instructed on maintaining a standard temperature, you know, whether it's during transportation or a killing center. Is also put a ban on selling of loose milk, so people who have tabilas can sell lose milk, but everyone else has to sell milk in packets. And good Guy, as we know, is banned in Maharashtra. So he's just going big against anybody who is selling, procuring, supplying, transporting good Kan Parmazada and Hannah.
Speaker 7: Interestingly, you highlight how almost nobody seems to question his integrity, but the debate is really about his methods. Talk about what exactly is the criticism of his style of governance.
Speaker 6: So the criticism that is coming from the dairy farmers and the restaurants, since that's the area that I work a lot in restaurants, are happy. They're happy that you know, he's ensuring that everybody meets compliances. There are a lot of eateries, a lot of dabars, and even you know, good restaurants where kitchen is usually very dirty, right, and we just like sometimes, you know, as end consumer, we just turn a blind eye towards a lot of stuff. The criticism only is that, you know, and I'm verbet him quoting them, that the department could not be sleeping for so long and then suddenly wake up and go, you know, with this intensity, do a crackdown on everybody. But they're saying is that you know what that you want the system to be better, and so do restaurantiers. Why don't you know? They just asking for a more time. And the same is the case with dairy farmers. You know, for them, it's a lot of new rules for them. It's is something that they've not done ever. And they're saying, even if you were to pack pack every unit of milk and then seal it and stamp it and then sell it, we just need some time at least to do it because it also involves cost machinery. So they're just asking for more time. I think that's the common consensus that I've understood but there's a lot of fear. Let me tell you the restaurantiers, whether they're dairy farmers or milk suppliers, everybody is worried. The restauranteers are like, you know what, we want to be compliant. But this is also monsoon flies is a real problem. You know, those who are in older parts of Mumbai. There is always this problem with rats. So yeah, I mean they are happy that he is doing it, they're just not happy with the intensity with which it's being done.
Speaker 7: And Hannah, as you mentioned that restaurant owners themselves largely agree that food safety standards need improvement.
Speaker 6: So has the.
Speaker 7: Crackdown put a spotlight on the broader challenges of regulating food safety in a city like Mumbai.
Speaker 6: Definitely, But it also so for the longest we had, you know, FD commissioners before him, and the common problem that everybody put out was that they are not enough food safety officers to audit these restaurants properly, to inspect these restaurants properly. We had about two hundred odd new food safety officers who were in training and were inducted earlier this year. Even that is very less when it comes to the number of eateries we have in Mumbai. At the same time, I think everybody just took it for granted and kept their kitchens the way they kept which was not at all hygienic. I personally have visited so many kittens and I've seen people cleaning it as I'm entering, and the cleaning is something in the hygiene is something, especially when you're handling food or daily, is basic. It's a basic criteria. It is not really rocket science. So the fact that it continued for so long speaks so much about the system, whether it is food operators or about the department, but it also speaks about people and sometimes as and consumer, we've also made, you know, we have also accepted that this is how it's done, especially when you're eating at budgeted eight.
Speaker 7: Er right, and you highlight how restaurators have also raised questions about consistency and manpower and whether compliance can actually be achieved solely through these crackdowns.
Speaker 6: Right, So there's something that somebody in the restaurant business also pointed out to be that restauranteers need staff, especially restauranteers who are working on bigger turnover and limited profit. And there you are budgeted itches and they don't have Maharashtrian staff. As such, the Maharastrian population that's available to work is very limited. So a big portion of the staff members of people who come from behind up and other regents, and because they've come leaving their hometown and sometimes a family is wise children and parents back. They live here in one room apartment, there will be like ten people living in it. They personally don't follow as much hygiene as they should because they don't want to wash their clothes on daily basis or sometimes don't have bathrooms available to take a shower on a daily basis when everybody has to rush to work at the same time. Restaurant as an industry is also very exhaustive industries. It consumes you. There's a lot of work. It's a labor intensive industry, so that's also another problem. So restaurant had told me, ma'am, we try our best, but there's only so much that you can tell your staff. I am worried that if I push too much they will leave my job and put toward out saying that armor difficult boss, which will make it difficult for me to find new staff members. So it's multi layers problems and everybody is in facing some issue or the other. But I think it's also a matter of habit. You know, basic hygiene, as I said, is not really rocket science. Everybody has to adia do a basic hygiene while they're cooking food at home and we should not expect anything different when we are eating out as well.
Speaker 1: And in the end we talk about flooding caused by rains in Gujrat. Nearly forty people died in rain related incidents across the state, the highest being in Valsad and Navsari, which together reported thirty three deaths till Saturday, largely caused by electrocution or drowning. One death each was reported from Tapi and Sura districts in South Gujrat till Saturday, according to sources in the state Revenue Department. The Indian Expresses Kamal Said reported that in m Dabad district, the Army and Gunjat police personnel rescued several persons from industrial units and warehouses, even as the sixty kilometer NH forty seven connecting m Dabad to Rajkot remained closed to traffic till Bagodha for the second consecutive day because of flood related damage. The state highway connecting the city to Wiramgam through the autoharbs of Sanand and Mandel, which was closed on Friday, opened late Saturday for heavy vehicles. This stretch sees the busiest commercial traffic and has developed into an industrial and logistics zone. The flooding in the district is being attributed to excessive rainfall and water released from Sabarmati River through the Wan Savaraj in m Dabad. The district police rescued nine hundred workers from the Gallops industrial park in Bahwa, close to Sananth, while more than eighty workers were rescued from an Amazon warehouse in a village in bagodhat A Luka by the army. Although rainfall eased in Mdaba city, the southwestern suburbs, including areas in Bopal, Guma, Sindhubawan Road or the sbr And Taltage remained flooded. At several places. Sinkholes were reported. Places such as Haryumbla in Bopal, where Chief Minister Pupeen Riptale visited on Friday, continued to be under foot deep water. Apart from South Gujrat, one death each was reported from Sanand and Holka in Ahdabad district and one each from Anand and Radhampur. In Banaskanta district, Navsari Superintendent of Police Trahjalpatale told Kamal that twenty three deaths were reported and nearly twenty thousand people were rescued and shifted to different places by the district administration. Walsad sp Uvat sEH Jadeja said that ten people were reported dead from the district and over sixteen thy five hundred people had been rescued and shifted to shelter homes or to their relatives places by the district administration. The rainfall has led to a rise in the water level in the rivers, creeks and also in the times. Due to levels of rivers rising, water entered many low lying areas in Nasari, Valsadsura, Tapi of Saud Gujrat. In Surath, machinery in several textile units continue to remain in frontwaters. Thousands of cars and bikes in Surat, Navsari and Valsad were submerged in water. You were listening to Three Things by the Indian Express. Today's episode was edited and mixed by Surish Brawar and produced by Ichasharma and me Niharikananda. If you like the show, then do subscribe to us wherever you get your podcasts. You can also recommend the show to someone you think we'll like it, share it with a friend or someone in your family. It's the best way for people to get to know about us. You can also tweet us at Express podcast and write to us at podcasts at Indian Express dot com.