Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteenth fifty powered by Nova Insurance Services Insure your most prized possessions.
Speaker 2: Good afternoon, everybody. Welcome to Eye on the Mall here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera in today with me is my guy, Troy Hutchison can go easycats dot com. Troy, how arey good? How about you? I'm okay? Day three of holding people hosses behind this board of mine. Hope, I hope it works. Okay, Welcome everybody to Tuesday. Thanks for coming to Troy to save me. Maybe we'll get some calls today five two zero four one six seventy four forty. It seems like we don't get calls because I don't know if they want to. They're just pissed off, or they have nothing to say, or they're just me tired of me saying the same things that this football team sucks you, Like yesterday's press covers. I was. I listened to yesterday's press common so make what did you make of it? Outside of him asking the fans to show.
Speaker 3: Up, I think it's pretty much the same old stuff that we've seen throughout the whole time season, and it's Brett Brennan's persona. It says just the way he does things, average Joe, Hey, everything's going to be okay.
Speaker 2: You know, does he does it come off that way to me? It does? I think it comes off a little. You know.
Speaker 3: Uh, how do I describe muscle menocin on?
Speaker 2: Just so so? And that's that's how I look at it, you know, just lucky? What's the record kind of so so so so? Yeah. No, I hate to use this form to continue to bash, but they are what they are, right, Uh, what are they? Three or five? Yeah? Three and six? Are three and six? Three more games? Everyone's still kind of thinking maybe they win three games to get to the playoffs. I think that that slim and none playoffs, get to a bowl game? What I say, playoffs? Yeah, bull game, bull game. That's why man. Yeah. Yeah. And we have to at the end come up with a big win against a issue which is obviously the new darling of the state.
Speaker 3: You know at this point that that is your bowl game. You know, you have to look at it as that is the game. Bowl games aren't guaranteed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So first up is Houston, Houston. That's going in the right direction, right, They won three or.
Speaker 3: Four, just beat Kansas State in a like a twenty four to seventeen game, kind of gritty out game and run a football.
Speaker 2: What are they doing that becomes so so hot?
Speaker 3: They just you know, they've kind of switched their quarterback situations around throughout the whole entire season.
Speaker 2: They've been up and down.
Speaker 3: But the guy that they put in just recently he had like one hundred yards passing a touchdown, ran for seventy five yards and two touchdowns. So they've just found away and playing against Kansas State, they kind of Kansas State Kansas State in terms of running the football and not.
Speaker 2: Turning it over well, and Kansas State was pretty good that we saw a month or so ago.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, you know, still a very solid team that has a chance to get to a Big twelve title game and potentially a College Football Playoffs into the title games. I'm you know, I'm gonna say b YU and IOWA say, I think those are the two best teams, and they've really separated themselves probably. I think their schedule gets a little tougher down the stretch. So he's done a pretty good job. He hasn't you know, right now with the Dallas Cowboys having coaching issues with Micah Parsons talking about, you know, maybe it's time for a replacement. I'm sure Dion's name will come up at some point.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, there's no question. And and it's likely what slim is the fifty to fifty that he won't be there anyway.
Speaker 3: Oh I don't think there's any way he's going to be the Colorado goach to next season once his sons are gone's gone, the Hunter's gone, and blah blah blah. Yeah, well he did what he needed to do right and win. He did at the last second because outside of this season it wasn't looking good.
Speaker 2: No, in fact, the last second, you no pun intended. They won a few games at the last second. Yeah, you know, just getting into their playmakers. Their defense is ramped up a little bit to a degree than it was last season, and they've found a way in this Big twelve that is kind of a wishy washy conference overall. Do you think given the circumstances of Arizona, as we know what Brandon coming in and you get the players return, would they have done better in the Pac twelve than they've done in the Big Twelve.
Speaker 3: With this coaching staff and how it's progressed. No, they would have done far worse. Really, I think they would have done far worse. Oregon's a much tougher team than any Pack twelve tent that you got out there. I think Utah would maybe be in a little bit better of a place, you know, injuries and stuff like that. I played out to it. Colorado, giving what they are. You have Washington, you know they've they've kind of found their way throughout the season. Washington, I don't know who they would be at this point. Maybe in Oregon State. Washington State looks very good out there on the football field. Stanford probably be the Stanford maybe a cow. But you know, it's just how the schedule lines up. I think the Pac twelve last season was a tougher conference than what the Big twelve is this here, and you know you got to give and take.
Speaker 2: But who knows. Yeah, no, it's crazy. I just I hate to speculate they'm doing it like that because it doesn't mean much and it's not going to happen.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: So okay, No, that's cool. Water under the bridge, Yeah, water on the bridge. So the big weekend for a lot of sports. Uh football obviously Friday night, eight fifteen. We'll see how many people show up. And there's a lot of lot going against them, high school football, you a basketball? What else? The fight is Winter Haven? No, that would be now the Mike Tyson.
Speaker 3: My point is, if there's an event right now, it is going against Arizona.
Speaker 2: Football, right right. Opponents Houston, Yeah, Houston coming in. We'll see what happens. Maybe they get twenty five thousand, thirty thousand if they're lucky, but hey, what do you think the number is going to be that they announced though thirty seven? I'm guessing they're going to announce forty one, okay, which was possible. Yeah, and it will be around twenty seven. Yeah. Yeah for the for the people that you have nothing to do on a Friday and going to go cheer on their team, which is bad because it does surely feel a lot like the summing time when no one gives a crap and you know, it's like apathy again and YadA YadA, Yeah, and you know it kind of feels worse. Is that first year.
Speaker 3: I think, at least for the first season. I'm not saying the whole Yeah, the first season of someone compared to the first season Brennan, it was, well, you know what, maybe they can get to a bowl game. They had a shot against ASU up by twenty blew that game right now. I mean, someone wasn't three and six in his first season. I think he was around that five hundred mark. You're far below. And I think the expectations were way higher for Brennan than they were someone even though someone had high expectations as well.
Speaker 2: Right right, because of his name and all that stuff and colilt. Yeah, yeah, no question. It's a strange year that they've had. Oh that's not even telling the story.
Speaker 3: It's just strange because with someone the fan base wasn't let's get rid of him. They thought, okay, well he can recruit and bring in guys. They're worried about Brennan because but you're coming from San Jose State, how are you going to recruit?
Speaker 2: Now? Well, they give him the benefit of doubt when they hired him, right, thinking, Okay, he's gonna be good. He loves this place, you know, Dick, tell me a disciple, yaha, YadA, and all that's falling apart pretty quickly. And it fell apart really quickly. Yeah, okay, so there's that, there's Friday, and then we have Arizona basketball versus Wisconsin. I'm not too sure how good Wisconsin is. I think they're gonna be on the road obviously. I guess I heard some of this morning that there's a possible NCAA team. I don't know about that, but we'll see.
Speaker 3: You know, big ten team, probably middle of the road Big ten team get to that eighteen twenty win marking, probably will sneak into the tournament. But this seems like a very run of the mill Wisconsin tine. They're gonna slow it down and do what they do historically.
Speaker 2: If historically yeah, I'm not sure sure they will slow it down though, but we all know, at least I do from here's years past that any team that tries to slow Arizona down that was pretty good at it. Yeah, you know, they hold them to if they hold him to sixty seventy, have a chance against Arizona, make it a half court game. Yeah. Yeah, it's Arizona scrypt Tonite. It's been that way since eighty three, if not before.
Speaker 3: And you know they kind of tried to do that last year in Tucson. And it just got away from member sure and they just didn't have the horses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, no, that's that's another thing. And anything else going on. We'll talk more about all that stuff here when we get to going with the show today. We're gonna have Chris rass Statter from He's one of the main referees in town, I think in town in the country. He's like the lead official, right, he's the head guy, a really good guy. We've had him on the show before. I know he was doing some refereeing and instructions with with some sports writers i think in the national level, the United States basketball writers. So we're talking him about that and see what what the plans are with They always get a good good yeah. I don't even know what the word is. Trying to be funny, but I can't be. And the challenges, the challenge yeah, yeah, yeah, se if there's any new rules to anything that they had to look for specifically, because that's the one thing, right, every time it was one against the tournament, well they didn't. They didn't call that in the regular season, and it was against Clemson last year. That wasn't a case. That wasn't no, no, no, no, it was just more than shooting shooting.
Speaker 3: I think the last time Arizona's had a moment like that was against Wisconsin with the Nick Johnson push off call that would have won the game.
Speaker 2: Underneath the basket. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I don't know if I saw that, did you see? I didn't see that. I don't think he pushed off.
Speaker 3: I mean, you could have called it either way, but I know some players and coaches they had that moment circled and wouldn't let it go.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I was right there, though I didn't think I saw that. He just missed it and it hung on the rim a little bit and popped out. Yeah. No, okay, So there's that Chris rast and then we're going to have like the four fifteen hour. You know more about this guy than I do.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Joe Richardson from Dasha three star recruit on rivals dot Com, committed to the Wildcouts back in early January, has stayed committed. Took a visit to Vanderbilt last weekend. You know, they've been a kind of hot program and playing well this season. But just a guy that's been one of Arizona's top targets in the wide receiving room.
Speaker 2: So a three star, high three star, it's a high three star. Okay, So how good you've seen him?
Speaker 3: I've seen him once, pretty solid, good frame, a little bit raw. But a lot of high school kids are you know, as a three four star kid. A lot of you know, fans want to say, hey, what kind of impact is he going to have right away?
Speaker 2: You never know? You just never know. And historically, how will you know this better than me? How many of those guys pan out? Not a lot? Give me a number in terms in terms of what do you mean in terms of the three or four star peop?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, it turned out to be at least an NFL player higher than some of the five stars.
Speaker 2: Oh really, what about just success stories overall?
Speaker 3: Like okay, for for an example, I think most NFL rosters are made out of three star recruits more than five star recruits. That third fourth round, that's where most of your NFL raw shorts are made out of. You know, you have your high five stars that go on the first round and all that, But how many of those quarterbacks are out of the league in two years? How many of those receivers end up out of the league? You're ross's built in that third fourth round in the NFL.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, but what about three star recruits. You know, everyone celebrated the two star Scoob and he was what he was, right, he was a good college player. Yeah, yeah, the overlooked obviously. Yeah, you can't you can't measure heart, and he had a lot of it. So with these guys, the three stars, four stars, they're not they're not getting any five stars, right.
Speaker 3: No, not this year, but you know they didn't get any five stars last year. In fact, the last time they got a five star, Wars stepped a rolling with Millon.
Speaker 2: So no, no, this this was the previous coaching staff. So no, no, I'm telling he was the Oregon. Oh I said, we were saying, I said, we were saying, yeah, flip to Arizona at the last minute. But no, Arizona historically has been up three low four stars school, and you got to develop players and and do what you can with them. Yeah. No, you're exactly right. It's and it is what it is because they've always been that. Yeah. I was with somebody last night, not a booster, but a guy who who has been around a long time. He says, So I don't know how Arizona is going to compete with the higher up schools. Excuse me, because there's not a whole lot of money here to pay off the nil people. And there's also and I said, well that's one part of it. The u A's asking for money. They've always been asking nobody, the athletic department, right, yeah, then now the schools, and now there's always something else. So I don't know where these pockets are coming from.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know, for Arizona, and it was the case with Techoan and that that kind of recruiting class. In that group of guys, you gotta find the right fit, the guy that's different from everybody else. Terrific five star receiver. Everybody wanted him, but he was a little bit different. He wasn't this hey look at me, cocky, arrogant guy that was, you know, trying to parade himself on social media.
Speaker 2: It was a quiet type.
Speaker 3: You find those quiet type Kidstually, those are the kids that Arizona's able to steal away every now and then.
Speaker 2: Right, right, right, Okay, let's do this. We're gonna go and take a break here and come back with Chris Rashtetner here on the other side and talk about college basketball.
Speaker 6: Thanks your chance to win one thousand dollars. Just enter this nationwide keyword on our website.
Speaker 5: Bails.
Speaker 2: That's bails.
Speaker 6: Enter in right now Blocksports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 2: Are you ready?
Speaker 7: Ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 5: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 7: Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 2: Are you ready? Enterprise of Fasco Yaki Try.
Speaker 8: Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen, bathroom of your dream. Browsy aisles of it, the bond available in a variety of sizes, creations, and instantly elevate your space. Today that showroom and letther experts guide you.
Speaker 5: Designs.
Speaker 8: We're creating a custom inster piece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look.
Speaker 9: Find a location near.
Speaker 8: You at the window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 10: Where do you buy exercising question ask Arizona.
Speaker 11: Health Arizona Health, Arizona Health. Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve Arizona Health. The lead madge and exercise equipment on twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 12: School and the False four season are in full stride.
Speaker 2: Time to give that specialist to Japlee to create that.
Speaker 12: It's also time to rejuvenate your fall apparel with a Chris looking embroidered school corporate logo on caps, shorts or long sleeve follows. And why not get some fresh looking promotional products representing your school or corporation or just giveaways for the upcoming twenty twenty five season for over one thousand fun items of choo shroom. Come visit Creative Awards at Creative awardsaz dot com or see our Idea Center at T twenty eight West TrackMan Street.
Speaker 13: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your need. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six eight five six two six Today in MLS three oh eight seven Arizona b K nine two nine to four two equal housing opportunity, got to commitment to lyrixyn credit rates and available loan programs, or subjict to change the unumice.
Speaker 12: Did you know collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination.
Speaker 2: As one of the.
Speaker 12: Leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and trading card games. From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on e Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trust Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 14: On a road trip or just around town. Driving a car you can afford is more important than metics. At Pyramid Federal Credit Unions our one rate auto loan this for everyone. One rate offers a single competitive rate no matter your credit school.
Speaker 2: You can borrow better with Pramid.
Speaker 14: For details or to apply online, visit Pyramid FCU dot com Slash one rate. Pyramid Federal Credit Union is an equal opportunity lender federally ensured by NCUA.
Speaker 5: Got bugs, termitespees or rodents. Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management. Specialist tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 2: Want to build your business better, There's no better place than the Arizona Business Networking Conference December tenth through the twelfth at Casino del Sol. Meet thirty five premier speakers including UA All American, Ricky Hunty, Hall of Fame coach, Mike Kendrick, CEOs and more. Expand your professional network, explore new opportunities, and a learner from industry leaders. Hear me Get your tickets at Tucson Business Networking dot Com Slash Conference starts again. Tucson Business Networking dot Com Slash Conference breaking down.
Speaker 6: All the and oh this is my hole ball with Steve Rivera on Box Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Here, Hey, welcome back to Wing the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. In with me today is Troy Hutchinson. I'll go AZYCS dot com. And now on the phone, we have Chris Rastatter from the world of officiating. How are you doing, Chris? Can you hear me? Hear can you hear me?
Speaker 13: Chris?
Speaker 2: Okay? Great? How are you doing good? We're doing fine? Thank you to you know, kind of like uh, the calm before the storm for you? Or what are you doing? Are you going to go out to games here? Or have you already started? And how's that? Uh huh? So this is your this is your this is your second year right in your capacity of what you do thirty year God time flies, tell tell us exactly what your what you do.
Speaker 6: Now your chance to win one thousand dollars. Just enter this nationwide keyword on our website. Fails. That's fails. Enter it right now, Fox sports sports dot com.
Speaker 9: This report is by Progressive Insurance, Fox.
Speaker 6: Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 15: Oh you know what, Chris, Chris one crash freeways right now and westbound the Miracle Mile exit the off ramp partially blocked by an answ Then at twelve Savenue, there's a crash there with injuries. Crash with injuries, Campbell at Allen Road, and an interaction with silver Bell at Heine Cary Edwards Tucson Traffic.
Speaker 16: Progressive Commercial Insurance can protect your small business with over thirty coverage options and easy to use mobile app, personalized discounts and more. Get a quote in as little as six minutes at Progressive Commercial dot Com. Discounts and coverage selections not available in all states or situations.
Speaker 2: Wish Black Friday deals lasted longer.
Speaker 17: Good news at or Ford Plake Friday deals last all month long. Get ten thousand dollars off msrp A new twenty twenty four Ford Expeditions, Ford Etches and FORDP one fifties and R Ford's the only Ford dealer with zero.
Speaker 2: City sales tax and no dealer add ons.
Speaker 17: Stuff your plate with savings all November long at Oral Fords Black Friday Sale take the easy driver from anywhere and.
Speaker 2: Tucson restrictions apply. See dealer for details.
Speaker 18: You have a traffics in your car and realize you're missing that one part. Yeah, I've been there. That's why ebayse my go to. They've got millions of parts fit. I'm talking break paths for wing yours have seen one too many miles of stop and go oil filters because you don't.
Speaker 2: Mess around with your engine care.
Speaker 18: Even got this cold air intake on my watch list, I might just go for it to keep it ride cool and your di I wat stream hot find all the parts you need at prices you love, guaranteed to fit every time.
Speaker 2: eBay thanks people love eligible Adams on the exclusions apply. I Heart Radio is your number one app for the holidays. Just open the app and search Holiday and start listening.
Speaker 19: Now you'll see your local holiday radio station, plus all kinds of other holiday stations, laylists, and podcasts. iHeart Radio Free never sounded so good. This is former Notre Dame quarterback Brady Quinn. Here's what's trending from the Iheartsports Network presented.
Speaker 2: By Staples Stars.
Speaker 4: Let me back to hire former Phillies assistant pitching coach Brian Kaplan to replace Brent stramas their pitching coach. Can Tell Martello finalist for the nl MVP Award. He's up against the Dodgers show he o Tani and the Bets Francisco Lindor. The NBA Cup tips off tonight, will the Sun's visiting the Jazz. Expect Devin Booker to keep lighting up the scoreboard for our drafting sportsbook. Lot is plus two fifteen for book to pouring thirty five plus points.
Speaker 2: Ob Branker.
Speaker 9: Staples has amazing deals on everything you need for the holidays, from custom holiday cards and photo gifts, to laptops and gaming systems, even shipping solutions, and now save up to three hundred and fifty dollars on select computer scene store only offer Ends eleven sixteen, unwrapped Huge Holidays savings at Staples.
Speaker 2: If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for newly forty years now. Take a look back at the Ludolsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one Email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 10: Hi, this is formal Wildcat lemanhuntly with Arizona Health. Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal.
Speaker 2: Space in your life.
Speaker 10: We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you up with the right equipment and training to get you started and keep you going. Visit our shureroom today at twenty second in Wilmot. Arizona Health the lead edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 20: What's your goal? A new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make some day today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial aid available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu slash someday.
Speaker 2: Hey Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Markets All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a thunder bender or a leaking movement, you covered. Don't fumble your chance to save. Call them today and score big on your insurance with the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen note Tampbele or call him at five two zero three two three nine three three three. Are selling your home? Want to get more money for it? Well, Danny Roth can help you. He told me about as you Flip the Home you Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Army Holmes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling at home, call Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand. Tucson Listen up al Tourte two.
Speaker 21: Your son is rolling in on November twenty third, and you won't want to miss it. Dnah Shair Conditioning is proud to be a sponsor of this fantastic event, supporting our cyclists and celebrating the vibrant spirit of our community. Huge thanks to our title sponsor Banner University Medicine and are presenting sponsors Rio Nuevo and TMC Health for making this possible.
Speaker 2: So are you ready to ride, Grab your bikes and your buddies.
Speaker 21: Join DNHAC for an unforgettable day at the eltourty Tuson. For more info, check out el Toour Day tuoson dot org.
Speaker 2: Tucson Listen up.
Speaker 20: El Tour to Tucson is rolling through town on November twenty third. Banner University Medicine is proud to be the title sponsor of this fantastic event that celebrates Tucson. Supports the cycling community and raises money for great causes. You can help support the kids at Bannered Diamond Children's Medical Center in Tucson by joining the Bannered Children's Team and participating in any l Tour event. Get ready to have some fun in support of a great cause. For more info, check out ltour de Tucson dot org.
Speaker 22: The free iHeartRadio app is number one for music radio and podcasts all in one discover a new podcast from our library of over three hundred and fifty thousand titles. Here's an iHeartRadio podcast preview.
Speaker 23: Hello listeners, it is with pleasure that I come into your home today, or I know those listening to me now are interested in helping people.
Speaker 24: April Velatio was three years old when her father, Edward Wayne Edwards, recorded this motivational record, selling himself to the world as a reformed criminal.
Speaker 23: My life has certainly been anything but good. Exciting, yes, dangerous, yes, honest.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 24: She was twelve when he came home late one night.
Speaker 25: He was muddy, dirty, and he had a bloody nose, a cut on his nose.
Speaker 23: I decided that I would put every effort into my rehabilitation program that I had to put previously into my career of crime.
Speaker 26: As she got older, April began to wonder why would her father disappear for days at a time. Why were they always packing up and moving in the.
Speaker 2: Middle of the night.
Speaker 25: Everywhere I went there was people that we knew were associated with Era being murder.
Speaker 11: The double homicide in one rural community has puzzled investigators for nearly thirty.
Speaker 25: Years, and as I was reading the case, it all rang true.
Speaker 2: I mean, I remembered everything.
Speaker 24: April was forty what she called the police and turned her dad in.
Speaker 2: I love my children very much.
Speaker 24: Things in our home are never taken for granted. This is a story about murder and family.
Speaker 16: Are you going to keep all these records about yourself and give them to April.
Speaker 13: I'm going to do everything they need to know about me.
Speaker 26: It's a true crime story that's also about our obsession with true crime and the mythic monsters we create.
Speaker 25: I believe that my dad was consumed with the Zodiac. But I can look you in the eye and tell you he did not kill John Bennet.
Speaker 5: Nobody likes that.
Speaker 24: One The Clearing from Pineapple Street Media.
Speaker 22: Listen and follow this podcast for free on the iHeartRadio app Number one for music radio and podcasts all in one.
Speaker 6: It's Tucson Sports station yet, Okay, see see good Fox Sports fourteen fifty eight app and iHeartRadio station yet Steve ravera, he's got his eye on the ball on Tucson's sports station yet Fox Sports fourteen fifth day.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to I'm the Ball Hero on Fox Sports fourteen fifty I'm Steve or Troy. We're having trouble with our phone system or our board because I'm running it, but we could be on. I think we're on. Yeah, we're just having trouble with the phone system. I'm not sure why. I'm probably hitting the wrong but but we're going to try to get Chris tomorrow when I have the interns, and we'll see what happens with that. But I think we're on right now. Yeah, sorry, Troy, no problem. So, so you're busy, Are you busy with recruiting stuff in addition to everything else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, we're getting into that time of the year where national signing days coming up, so we're starting to roll out articles, getting prepared, getting you know, the skeleton article all set for when they announced their official signing with Arizona. So we got to get those ready and get them rolled out, and you know, some of those you never even publish because you never know on National signing Day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where does Arizona stand right now?
Speaker 3: Right now on rivals dot com Arizona it sits at thirty seventh nationally in the country, So pretty solid recruiting claer ass overall in terms of rankings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so he's doing okay.
Speaker 3: They're doing okay right now. Again, it could change with how the season plays out and guys move around in the rankings and other teams get their five and four star recruits that they want.
Speaker 2: It. It's gonna it's gonna fluctuate. Yeah, So what do you think the appeal is now? Uh, Because if the appeal was different four or five months ago, you know you're gonna come to a program that's gonna be stable, that's going to be good. Now. What's the cell?
Speaker 3: The cell is family and just a family environment. Brennan has brought that up several times, how the kids still believe in him and his coaching staff, and how they feel that they're at home and that they're with coaches that actually care about the players.
Speaker 2: On the field good. Okay, So is it gonna be in case where Troy Hutchinson decides to come here because now he might see some playing time, or or because that's pretty much it they want to have. They want to play. A lot of kids want to play early. So are they going to have that chance? We won't know until we know who's leaving it. Who's good. Yeah, I think that's that's a big part of it.
Speaker 3: But I think if you look in the receiving room and Arizona does have a slew of receivers coming in with a four star receiver out of Florida. Once tetro Ro McMillan leaves, which let's be honest, he's probably gonna be an NFL draft pick and he will be gone top ten, top five, there's not a lot there. The talent just hasn't produced this season. There hasn't been a lot of development there outside of tetro Ro McMillan, and I think the talent's a little thin. So if you're a receiver coming in, a three, four or five star receiver coming in, my thought process would be, man, I could be a number one receiver. Obviously they're gonna go get some guys in the portal and try to add to the receiving core.
Speaker 2: But your thought process is why not? Why can't I play?
Speaker 23: Right?
Speaker 2: So, the guys that are on the roster that came back to play, how many were NFL potential guys.
Speaker 3: I think Tacario Davis might be a first round draft pick, really might be. He was at mid season he was great as the first round point by whom by some NFL dot Com analysts. So I think they love the height, the height, the height, the development that he showed from his freshman year to the sophomore year, him being that number one corner of for Arizona. He's had a couple of games where he's looked really good. They liked the physicality and they like his footwork. They wouldn't shock me if he dropped to the second third round, but some people do have him as the first round grade. And then Jonah Savnea has been in that low first mid second round grade as well. And you look at Jonah, I mean he's played right tackle, left tackle, guard, you can slot them basically anywhere, and he's been an all conference performance performer for Arizona this season.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So, so those just those two those three, those with Tetroro McMillan are the guys to really watch. And then you're gonna have guys in the secondary like Trade and Stokes that might get looks or Dalton Johnson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they've been out for most of them. They've been out, so that might hurt their draft stock. Well, I thought this whole year, Davis, I don't I don't see you, but what the hell do I know? Because he has he shown it. I think the.
Speaker 3: Utah game is the game where he really showed it and really proved that he is the number one point.
Speaker 2: He hasn't lived up to that game.
Speaker 3: But Utah is in a passing team, so that's the issue there. You know, to me, cornerbacks are one of the hardest positions to judge in terms of draft and evaluating guys. There's been guys that have been taken really high that I thought, really, why is he going and he panned out, and then guys that I thought, Oh, this guy's going to be an NFL player and they don't even get a shot. So I mean, it's really hit and miss with the corner position.
Speaker 2: Well, and nobody else really you said the three.
Speaker 3: Well, those three and then the guys in the secondary, but they've been banged up and injured, so you just don't know what their draft sock is going to look like.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you, so we see, we see the team as it is, they've lost a lot of to to injuries. Is what le's this hoop per second that that didn't happen, or they were more or they were minimal. Would it affect them this much? I don't think it's about that. I think defensively it is.
Speaker 3: I don't think you have a fifty six to twelve game against Central Florida that the defense is healthy. The win loss record probably not. Maybe when West Virginia because the defense had a lot of guys.
Speaker 2: Texas Tech, I don't know, well, Texas Tech.
Speaker 3: They still had a lot of guys. Makamanu was there and some other guys were they had. They did have some guys in the secondary injured. But I think West Virginia you may flip that game and the Central Florida game might be a little bit closer. But I mean, fifty six to twelve, it's hard to say that.
Speaker 13: To me.
Speaker 2: It's when you get beat like that, not just once, not just twice, three times I think right at least three times, EYU Colorado, it's Kansas State, Kansas State and USA yep, four times. That's not about talent, it's about want to me to me, And I could be totally rung and I've people will probably turn the channel because one, this doesn't work for me. But but but I've said this continually. When you have players who aren't responding to the coach, they just aren't responding to the coach for whatever reason.
Speaker 3: And you know, you look week to week, I think it's fair to say Arizona has gotten progressively worse throughout the season. Yeah, outside of the Utah game, that's the one thing. But again, Utah they are what they are. They're four and five now, so it's not like you beat a great team. They've gotten worse. Yeah, there hasn't been glimpses offensively. We're like, you know what, they figured it out.
Speaker 2: You could practice all you want and maybe we'll get out of this best here in a second, we can talk about basketball. But you could practice all you want and say you're practicing hard, YadA, YadA, and then you comes Friday night or Saturday or whatever, and it all changes because well you don't want to be there or you you know, I said, we saw it in something's years. In the final years, it was like, you know, what the hell are we doing here?
Speaker 3: Well, we also saw a lot of like you know, Whack and Mountain West players on Arizon that had no business being a power fight, right.
Speaker 2: Right, No, no, no, no question. In fact, that was a talent tap. I think in addition to what them not caring, Yeah, yeah, for sure, But you know, right now, I think it's a situation where the defense they've kind of pieced it together, kind of held it together, all these injuries starting to pile up, and then the offense is doing the same old thing where they can't move the ball past the fifty and eventually in that Central Florida game, I think it came to a moment where you know, what are we going to do? I think they finally to be To me, it looked like they gave up. So let me ask you game, So let me ask you maybe that's the final question. I'm not sure. So they've had this issue with the offense for one game, two games, three games, four, and I saw like a doctor suits book basically outside of New Mexico, five games six games, the seven games more because if you know that's the problem, you know that's the problem. I know that's a problem. Everybody knows that's the problem. When don't you think they fixed the problem?
Speaker 3: Well, I think they try to mitigate the problem with the change of the play calling of Matt Atkins. But it's still the same playbook and you still have an offense coordinator that yes there's a play caller, I guarantee you, he still has the final say in some regard.
Speaker 2: So it goes from from Atkins to the field. So the gatekeeper is the problem.
Speaker 3: People, Well, and again it's it's Dino's playbook that was quote unquote uh made with the players. This is a collaborative playbook apparently with the players.
Speaker 2: That's that's on the record.
Speaker 3: That's on the record from Brennan. And you know that this was a collaboration of a playbook that I mean, they did their thing, but they took some plays from Jadu and they took some places from the playof different and it was a collaboration.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what, this collaboration is not working and has it worked from day one or the day two Game two.
Speaker 3: And the places just they don't change. It's the same rhythm and and scheme and and it leaves you wondering what's their identity?
Speaker 2: And it's always talked about this. At least I have with the number of people, and probably you have to with your people. What would be the point of getting rid of anybody? Now?
Speaker 3: It's too late, it's too late. It's because you have three games left. So let's say you Definer fire gno Babers And I'm not saying they should, I'm just saying that. And you put Matt Akins out there, who has never been an offense coordinator and say, go wild.
Speaker 2: Well, we already know how this is working. You're gonna go, You're gonna go three and nine. Yeah, it's not working. So the two gentlemen you just mentioned probably won't be doing it next year. We'll see, well you sell what you like to shoot themselves in the foot for two years.
Speaker 3: Or I'm saying at least for Matt Akins, he's a tight ends coach that has a lot of promise that they like to be a potential offense coordinator one day.
Speaker 2: At some point your promise has to turn into performance. No, I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me if he's still on the staff, just not calling place. Oh right, right, yeah, no, no, no, no, no that yeah. And for Dino, you know, I wouldn't make an offense coordinating change. My question is for Brennan, can you fire a former boss? Does he have that Moxie will replace an offense coordinator that was once his boss? That one probably probably because you don't. It's your ass too. Yeah, but why don't they just move him? I mean they moved Chuck and they moved Ricky to one of those rules that he said he wanted him to do, but Dina wanted to do that. Uh, then then it was nice knowing you. Yeah, Honestly, this is a big boy league. I mean, this is this is a lot of writing on the success of this football team.
Speaker 3: And you know, everybody wants to talk about Dino as well. And he has a hand in the quarterback coaching realm as well. But they have an quarterback coach that it's his first year as a quarterback coach. He was a offensive analyst at San Jose, say it was an offensive analyst at Arizona. When they changed the rules stat more coaching to the coaching staff. He became their quarterback coach. And you know what, you look at nofa Fida, has he got him better?
Speaker 2: And you can kind of tell that he's pressing. Oh yeah, he's pressing. He's that kid that will press.
Speaker 3: And he's not going to complain because that's what leaders do, and that that's Noah, he's a leader, and he's not going to complain, and he's going to keep on pressing and taking shot after shot and you're not going to see a change in his mentality.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, it's it's a tough situation for everybody all around. We'll see what happens. Okay, that's what time we've got to. We got about thirteen minutes. We're not going to go to any more commercials. I think we spent them all listen to him, but let's cool with basketball. Uh, Tommy, Tommy seems a bit more. I don't know if relax is the right word. I'm just trying to think, you know, he's he's the same Timmy. He kind of drove you, kind of gets on people. I'm talking to the media because you know, and he's that guy in the real world. Uh, kind of a little cocky, kind of look confident. But but he also has to prove it now for the I'm not talking like Friday. I'm talking the rest of the you know, the rest of the way. If they lose to do they use to duke? What does it matter? All that matters is in March, do do well, do consistently well in the in the Big twelve, don't like, don't stink to bed, and just kind of show that you're capable of winning in that league.
Speaker 3: He looks like a coach to me, You're changing leagues. The expectation is Arizona finishes fourth or fifth. Yeah, Kansas is the big dog. You're not the big dog of a conference. He looks like a coach to me that thinks, you know what, we can shock a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, no question, especially with this. I was talking to somebody close to the program yesterday, not alone, but a little and I really like this team. I really do. What does that mean nothing inasmuch as I don't know what the other teams are or how the os are. Obviously they're picked fourth or fifth in the conference, right, I'll believe who I believe. I think they're gonna beat teams they shouldn't beat. And I don't know if they'll lose to teams they shouldn't lose to. But we've seen this before.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I was a big fan of his first team with Ben Mathern, Christian Coloco, danieland Hillary, especially how they rounded out that season and that your defense were like they came together at the right moment. But then you get punched in the mouth by a team like Houston that's really physical. Sure, and that's the difference with this team. Well, that's the problem with sports.
Speaker 2: Everybody knows what they know because they know what's right in front of them, and Arizona fans they know what they know. Our team is pretty darn good, but they don't know what other teams have. People in Houston were thinking, our team is pretty damn good, and they were disappointed they got to the final and they were disappointed when they got there. The teams teams like whatever, Clemson, they were pretty good. They'd beat some pretty good teams last year at the beginning of the year. Then they hit their skids and then they we found themselves in the tournament. So you might think you're the best guy in the block. There's a problem. There's a lot of blocks out there. Well. Also it's the tournament.
Speaker 3: You have a team like North Carolina State, who they weren't good throughout the season, they were up and down, had to cut fire, go on a deep running the asiest tournament. But they had a player that just went and give up the big boy in the middle, and he was a wrecking ball for them, sure, and he got.
Speaker 2: Him to a final four. See the NBA. I don't think.
Speaker 3: I don't think he is he Do you think I think he got like a workout, But I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't think might have to google his name because he was very good in that in that tournament. Yeah, it would be slimmed down too for the NBA and similarly for Arizona back in the day. When you have like a Derek Williams type of player that can lead you to the next round, it doesn't matter how how well you did. Oh, then here's my question to you, who's the guy that could lead them all? The boy and I know where you're gott to go, So I'm going to say something once you do. I don't think it's scale of bluff. Okay, I really don't. I don't. I think it's kJ Lewis.
Speaker 3: I think He's going to be the real difference maker for this team, because not only is it get me a bucket, it's stop a guy when I need you to stop a guy. And to me, the difference with this team is the length and the grittiness on defense.
Speaker 2: That could be the difference. Let me throw another name at you, and I don't disagree with you, but I'll throw this team. What about Jim Bradley because he has the ball in his hands so much, and you like when we sat together for press fell look at each other and he would take control or he would do things that we thought, what are you doing? He wouldn't pass the ball, he would go, he would down, heeal it. He's doing less of that now and he can shoot two, so I'm sure that's a thing for him to do. So I think that because he has the ball in his hand a lot more than the other guys, that he could be that guy he's and he's a tough dude. Yeah, very mentally tough, mentally tough, and that's what I meant mentally tough.
Speaker 3: And that's the way I look at kJ Lewis. I don't think there's a lot of fort or guards. Yeah, out there that want to go up against kJ Lewis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think both of them. You know, there are three son that's pretty darn good and we're not even talking about Kleb Love.
Speaker 3: And to me, you look at the efficiency, like Jadeen Bradley the first game, I think he had like fifteen sixteen points. He was ten of seven. Yeah, he didn't force the ball. Then felt like so many shots were you know, forced, and then yeah, seven and ten and then Caleb Love. You know, I think he took fifteen shots in the game when seven of fifteen and.
Speaker 2: They weren't forced.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of in rhythm threes, a lot of in rhythm letts.
Speaker 2: And that's where they went from him. I mean, he's a different quieter killed Love and that's a good thing. Yeah, it's a good thing. Uh what do you make of What do you make of Chrystal because he's still kind of getting back to what he was together all these case what do you think about.
Speaker 3: I think he has potential, but you really got to see how he plays in the Big Twelve Conference because last year he was doing very well offensively, he was rebounding the ball, even played well against Duke. But when things got physical, he kind of melted away. He kind of hit that freshman wall and he wasn't really to be seen the rest of the season. So what can he do against a twelve opponents that are going to push you to the floor and knock you down and force you to play physical basketball. I still question his physicality.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, even though he's a big dude. Right, I really like the group. Well was not the like of the whole group, because I really like Henry. How he's playing.
Speaker 3: Henry to me is the interesting one because you're seeing his verticality and his quickness move up. He was not that light on his feet as a freshman, and then he sat out all last year. You know, you're wondering if he can develop or did that slow down his development. I don't remember him having those skill moves in the post during his freshman season.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, right, well he was so thin and he was he is exactly what he is. He's more of an outside inside guy that he is an inside outside guy, which is great because you can stretch whatever he's going to do there. He's more aggressive, you know, he's got that. I asked him that too, and I thought although it wasn't a planned and I asked him, and I asked Tommy about just how a blessing in disguise it was that he set out last year because he got bulkier, he probably watched a lot of basketball see what he needed to do, And that's how you become better. You get to see it and say, Okay, this is what I need to do. He had to learn from others, Yeah, which not a lot of people want to right right. Well, then this would have been his third year and you think, oh, you know, I got this year. Next year left, what am I going to do?
Speaker 3: And then a guy like Toby Iwaka, I love it. I think he's an extra piece that I don't think a lot of fans around the country thought that was going to be a critical piece.
Speaker 2: I didn't think it was going to be a critical piece.
Speaker 3: But seeing the way he rebounds the basketball, every ball out there he believes is going to be his. You see how he's going through players, jumping over players. They haven't had a guy like that in terms of rebounding mentality to me, at least maybe since Jesse Perry and even him, I don't think he has that type of mentality.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny because they were talking about that. I know Meilbuck talked about it on the show, his show. During the game, he didn't have a type, and I'm thinking more Geene Edkerson, although he's more fluid than Gene, but you know that aggressive. I'm going to mix it up with you guy, and he I bet you're anything you want that. He won't get eighteen again, eighteen points again, No, and he'll be fine with that. He'll be fine with that. He'll get under ten to twelve rebounds a game. He's not. He's The thing about it is three different dudes coming at you at the big guy.
Speaker 3: Spot and three different styles. Right, that's hard to defend because when you can rotate that that that that's great for a coach. And then for Owaka, his positioning offensively, defensively, he's in the correct position. He creates an open lane for the passing lane easily. He's perfectly between his man and the hoop every time rebounding. Just the fundamental positioning of him. Players like Vassar and Krivas, they're gonna learn from a.
Speaker 2: Guy like that.
Speaker 3: It's hard to teach that as a coach, but when you have a leader like Owaka, that can do it. It's easier when players are looking at him.
Speaker 2: So those are six dudes, right. There are the three in the back court, the three in the front court. But although they won't be playing together all together all the time, but Tom and then you have Townsend, right seven, Martinez eight, you have Anthony and Della Rosso. And I want to love that guy a lot because he's you saw his press covers, Yeah, I was. After listening to I thought he's my favorite player now. But the thing about it, he's a shooter. Yeah, he hasn't shot the ball well though. Hot and cold nights, yeah, hot and cold nights. And you're thinking every time he puts the ball up to me. In my mind, I mean, if I were to write the story, that's what I would expect for him to hit the shots. He's got that confidence, cut that pro bado in a in a quiet way. But he hasn't. He hasn't hit the shots, not yet.
Speaker 3: And you know what's impressed me is that he's been really good at handling the basketball and distributing the ball. I'm not a big believer in terms of Martinez being the solid, like solid backup on guard for this roster, but if you could go to a guy like del Rosso who has that veteran experience that can score the basketball a little bit, has the height a little Yeah, I think you're in a better position and kind of like that combo guard coming off the bench.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, it's gonna be fun. So that's what six seven eight? Who are the too? What am I missing? Six seven eight? Let's see who? There's ten? There's ten, and he's been going like five and five. Yeah yeah, I mean he's been rotating a lot, and that's gonna shrink down. Yet once we get to the Duke game and it'll go to eight, it'll go to eight, and who who he trusts and all that stuff. I doubt if Martinez gets in, yeah, I think that's the one that really doesn't. But everybody else could could be, you know, minutes ten to twelve for you know, the guys.
Speaker 3: The non starters. Yeah, yeah, I think so. I think it's gonna be a very even killed rosser. In terms of the front court, I think that's where you're gonna see a lot of rotation between a Waka Basar and Crebus. I think that backcourt, though, for the most part, they're gonna play thirty thirty five forty minutes a game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's gonna be a lot of fun. Like they're missing Carter Bryant, oh geez. Yeah, obviously the good piece of the puzzle. He hasn't really done much to do what we've seen and what we know. But I think it's just that freshman, not not jitters, but freshman kind of I gotta get my footing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but the plays that he is making, plays on the highlights that he does have, what are they They're getting his hands in the passing lane, getting out in transition and finishing at the rim, making the correct pass.
Speaker 2: It's all fundamental stuff. Yeah, it's nothing flashy, but it just works.
Speaker 3: And for a guy like that, as talented as he is, that he's getting that down.
Speaker 2: I think Tommy loves that. Yeah, yeah, no question, And it's funny that you forgure you forget about that. That's nine. I think that's about it. That's about right. Yeah, I mean all the ten scholarship guys this year, so he'll be the Briant will be the sixth or seventh guy coming in. And this is a very good team. Thinking about it again, this isn't the only team in the in the country, and it's not the only team in the conference, especially not in the Big twelve.
Speaker 3: And I think the key for the Big Twelve is not necessarily the rank matchup.
Speaker 2: So those are going to be he I'll give you this. And maybe if we could take calls in the next hour. I hope we can. I'm not sure if I can take the calls. Right, But uh, will the will the n c double A? It's November, right, I just have dumb question. Will the n Cuba A champion come from the Big Twelve? Yes, I'll say yes. I'll say that, yeah, because it's where else is going to come from? Right, Yukon could repeat. I think they're a heavy favorite though. I think Yukon their solid rocks. They're they're a machine right now. They can rotate guys in and out. Be careful of Kentucky.
Speaker 3: Yeah, getting hot at the right moment. Look North Carolina and Duke they're going to be top ten teams are going to be very difficult.
Speaker 2: I don't believe that. I wouldn't. I don't save my life on them. Yeah. No, So those teams and and maybe it seemed like Arkansas to get hot. No, who's their coach Cali Parks. That ain't happen. He got beat by Kentucky somebody just recently and Oakland, Oakland. Okay, so he's raised. He's not the guy. He's just not the guy. I've said this for a long time. He's got good talent, but just can't get him to play. Okay, I think that we should go come back at the top of the hour. We'll still talk. I'm not going to do any breaking news, although there's some stuff to talk about it, Okay,