Speaker 1: We should read our bibles as men dig for buried treasure.
Speaker 2: One of the most high game with the nations their inheritance. When we divided mankind, he fixed the borders of people's according to the number of the sons of God.
Speaker 1: In those days and for some time after, giant Nephilites lived down to the earth. For whenever the sons of God had intercourse with women, they gave birth to children who became the heroes and famous warriors.
Speaker 2: Of ancient tides.
Speaker 1: Take no part in the fruitless steeds of darkness, but yet expose that though a.
Speaker 3: Thousand fall at your side, though ten thousand are dying around you.
Speaker 2: These ears will not touching lives of garden man.
Speaker 3: You gotta dig it.
Speaker 2: Hell, old fellow treasure hunters, Welcome to the excavation side. I'must in alongside and when we got Ben Steve even in Chad will be your guides on this excursion. Hope you brought your shovel in your compass, because we got the map. Hey, everybody, welcome back. Welcome back was now July fourth, is now past? Oh, yeah, I'm back from vacation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're I guess we're mid mid July ain't we Yeah, yeah, we Uh you missed out yesterday.
Speaker 2: Oh what happened yesterday?
Speaker 3: We harvested fifty chickens.
Speaker 2: Harvested is that the politically correct term for slaughter?
Speaker 3: Slaughtered, killed, gutted?
Speaker 2: So we got a freezer full of chicken.
Speaker 3: We do have a freezer full of chicken.
Speaker 2: Nice spartacue.
Speaker 3: Oh the best is smoking it on the grill, on the smoker mesquite wood. Can't get no better that right there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, give me talk about FOD. We're gonna get nothing done.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: I know we said there slow already.
Speaker 3: I ain't had lunch yet.
Speaker 2: But yeah, what'd you do? We went to Deston, Florida for the week of July fourth. It was pretty awesome, beautiful white sand beaches. It's usually clear water, but we were there and they said that June grass was in bloom, so it was kind of some seaweed and stuff. So they say it's hitt and missed around that time of year, it hit it hit, well, well, what are the two of me?
Speaker 3: Goes two? So it seems like it's been going on the past couple episodes.
Speaker 2: Its summertime, man, everybody's everybody's doing stuff out gallivanting, around enjoying the weather.
Speaker 3: I'm just I got so much here. I don't go nowhere. You're like me, Yeah, but you went on vacation.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, once a year.
Speaker 3: I took your vacation, but I stayed here and worked. I have to go back to work to get a break.
Speaker 2: Well this with this one, I guess the subject matter is is the law dead?
Speaker 3: Yes? It is the old law dead.
Speaker 2: And that's something that I would think that's should be pretty fundamental as a Christian. You know, I was always, you know, taught from a young age that you know, we are brought in favor with God to grace the gift that's freely given and not by works. But I understand, you know, the Jewish religion, they don't really you know, we've talked about this before. They'll Jesus.
Speaker 3: So they're still living under the old law, which is impossible to accomplish.
Speaker 2: Oh it is, So.
Speaker 3: Therefore, I guess you'd have to sacrifice once a month.
Speaker 2: Or once sacrifice? Well are you covered now?
Speaker 3: But I didn't offer them to the lord, so I guess not right. I need to go pick the fattest ones. The ones with the prettier skin was too late without blemishes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got to burn the fat. Yeah, but a sweet savor to the Lord.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Now, like for me, I never really studied this until this past couple of weeks. I believe that, you know, the the most of the old law was dead, you know, the you know, like they had like you could only take so many steps on the Sabbath day. You had to prepare all your food the day before, so you wasn't cooking on the Sabbath.
Speaker 2: You know, all this different sacrificial systems.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all this.
Speaker 2: Uh, when your wife mins strait's gotta put her in a cave for a week before. You can never see your toucher. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can't touch a woman who's unclean, which would be daring her when her aunt Flow comes to visit ant Flow. But but I always kind of assumed, you know, like the Ten Commandments still stood. But I'm kind of not there now. Which I'm not saying that the Ten Commandments aren't good to follow, because obviously they are. And if you're if you're following after after God and trying to you know, be as close to Jesus like Christ like as you can, then obviously you're gonna follow the ten Commandments minus the Sabbath day, because you know, if you're not following the Sabbath day laws, the logistic laws, you know, then does that throw out the Sabbath day altogether? Well?
Speaker 2: Even Jesus said, you know was he said to the Pharisees when they were picking grain and stuff. He said, you know, the Sabbath was made from man man? Was it made for the Sabbath?
Speaker 3: That's right. So as we get into this, I guess we'll clear some of this up.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, And like with me too, that's you know, me and Ben, we both arrive at the same finish line on our thought process. You know. Like with me, my thought process was all the old levitical laws, sacrificial system, all that stuff was dead. But the Ten commandment stood, right, And because they're good moral teachings, right, And it's not a basically a checklist you have to complete before you get into heaven. It's just it's something that you don't you don't have to do, but you therefore want to do.
Speaker 3: I guess look at like this, if the Ten Commandments were still law, what did you have to do to repent for breaking the law?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you have sacrifice sacrificial system.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but we don't have to sacrifice nothing, right, So therefore the payment for breaking the laws not there. So if you're not paying to break the law, is the law still there?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I see what you're saying. Yeah, the whole umbrella term. Yeah. So yeah, you ask for forgiveness instead of doing works for forgiveness will righteousness right right?
Speaker 3: Well if that made sense.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, clear as mud. Right. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's all I'm good for.
Speaker 2: But one thing I wanted to just kind of touch on before we got started. There's a video you can guys look at up. It's on YouTube and stuff and the name of the company that does it. They they do all these little short videos like with cartoons and illustrations and really dumify stuff. And I really like I like that too, the Bible Project and that's some of the guys that's affiliated with the Logos and Faith Life Bible Study and stuff like that. But they did a video like on the law, and I just wanted to touch on a few of those things before we got started and digging into scripture because a lot of people don't realize, I guess because I mean they're not Jewish. They can't speak, you know, Hebrew or read Hebrew. I can't neither, But I mean I can study and I can stuff out.
Speaker 3: You know, I can hardly read English.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I could dig a little bit. But a lot of people don't realize. But there was six hundred and thirteen commandments given to Israel in Genesis, Exodus, the Bidicus numbers in Deuteronomy.
Speaker 3: It's a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a lot. Like you said, it's almost I mean it might as well. It's impossible, you know, I mean, only one man did it. Only one man did it. But these are the first five books of the Hebrew Bible. Is called the Torah. Well, Torah in English is translated as the law. You know, am I supposed to obey all of these some of these? What is the purpose of the law? You know, the Torah aka the law does have laws in it, but it is fundamentally a story how God is creating a new kind of people fully able to love God and love others. Jesus taught about the Torah, you know, he was Jewish after all, and how he brought that story to fulfillment. So what's the overall story? The overall story? You know, Genesis God created humanity, and they rebelled, you know, with some help from the fallen angels and Satan himself of course. But God chooses Abraham to bless all the nations through his family who wound up in slavery in Egypt, and God rescues them. So then we arrive at Exodus. You know, Exodus is the rescue at Mount Sinai. God makes a covenant, which is an agreement with his people. The laws that Moses gives are the terms of that agreement, like a constitution. Some laws set Israel apart from other nations, some social justice and morality. But following this, Israel would show that other nations, show to other nations what God was like. And the Ten Commandments were the first. So before there is you know, he made the agreement. There's no transgressions yet it's a fresh, clean new slate. They get the Ten Commandments right, So right after this, Israel breaks those laws with the Golden Calf. So then we get into the book a little bit. I yeah, exactly, and then you get into Leviticus. You know, as a result, Moses gives some more laws, then more stories of rebellion than more laws go into numbers rebellion again, more laws. More rebellion equals what more laws? I think you guys just start to get the point here, right. The laws come because of transgressions. So when you get into Deuteronomy, the conclusion of the stories Moses giving is giving his speech to Israel as they prepare to enter the Promised Land, and he tells them he knows that they're not going to follow all of God's laws. You have proven yourselves incapable. The problem was that their hearts were hard. They were going to need a new and transformed heart if they were going to truly follow God's laws. And he was right. So then you get into Joshua through Kings, this goes on about all their total failures. They go into the land, they break the laws. You know, it's never ending cycle. It just keeps repeating itself all the way to today. Yeah, so it says the next section of this book is the book of the prophets. You got Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, plus twelve other what they call minor prophets. You know, in the book, Ezekiel said, if they were going to ever obey God's law, he would have to transform their hearts into new soft hearts. The Book of Jeremiah said that It said that is when it wouldn't feel like a duty or chore, that they would want to and it would be written deep within their hearts. Then you've come to Isaiah promised a future leader, Israel's Messiah, would lead all of his people into obedience to the law. Together, all these books are called the prophets, even the historical ones Joshua through Ezekiel, and the twelve minor Prophets. They are continuing the story from the perspective of the prophets. The Old Testament, you know, which is the law, and then the prophets. So the Law and the Prophets is the Old Testament. Jesus saw himself as continuing that story, so he agreed with the laws and the prophets when he talked that's out of the human heart. That comes out is the ugliest parts of humanity. The default settings of our hearts is opposed to God's law. He came to solve that problem in his words, to fulfill the law, Jesus said, we could fulfill God's law with his greatest commandment, love God and love others. Love fulfills the law. So Jesus fulfilled this law by fooling loving God and others, thus showing the other nations what God was truly like where Israel had failed. So after the Resurrection, he sent the Holy Spirit to transform their hearts so they would follow him and fulfill the purpose of the law, love God and love others.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, I mean he did the ultimate show of love by diting for us on the cross.
Speaker 2: Amen.
Speaker 3: I mean, and I can't remember where the verse is, but there is a verse that as no greater is the love of one man dying for another.
Speaker 2: Yeah, life for his friends.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So, I mean, And the thing about about the whole thing is Jesus died on the cross, and at the end of his time on the cross, he said, Lord, why have you or Father, why have you forsaken me? I mean, he felt almost he knew he had to and he felt almost betrayed a little bit because he had to go through with it.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I always thought with that, you know what I mean, Yeah, it was you know they say God cannot be around sin. At this point that Jesus actually was out sin. So he took all the world, so he got cut from the Father.
Speaker 3: Well, he couldn't look at them exactly, he couldn't be around them. So that's why have you? Why have you? Almost I mean, obviously we're we're all humans, and we're taking this as a human would take it. You know, we're not Jesus or God. It's almost like, why why did you turn away? When I needed you the most? I took all this sin on me and you turned away. That's that's the way I feel like, when I needed I took all the pain, the suffering, everything, and then you weren't there.
Speaker 2: Well, he was always in total communication with.
Speaker 3: The pallet of course.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So Jesus, that's one thing we tend to forget is that he was fully divine, but at the same time he was fully human.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was still human. And therefore if he if he paid for our sin.
Speaker 2: What he did he said at the end, he said it is finished. Yeah, and he said and the veil was torn from top to bond.
Speaker 3: I'll get to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But one thing I want to say before we get started. I just got a few of the Old Testament stuff at the points that started. Yeah, we're just now getting their toes with we just we just now got a tip of the shovel in, but I'm not gonna lie. When I started this, it was kind of to prove a point because I see a lot of Christians, you know that that well, I would say a lot, but there's you know, some Christians that hold too that the Law is not dead, and especially Jewish people. So to me it was like I wanted to prove a point, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then once I started, I was so humbled. I mean I was brought to tears the other night reading this because I actually seen all this from a new perspective for the first time. Right, it humbled me to my core. I thought that I was supposed to. I wouldn't obligated the follow the law, you know, I knew that, but it was like I wanted to do that to be a better imager of God.
Speaker 3: Right, okay, which is the whole purpose.
Speaker 2: And then when I got to studying and reading into these things, it humbled me to my core. It made me feel how flawed and imperfect of a person that I am. But I'm still giving this gift freely. I don't deserve it. There's nothing I could do to ever earn it, but it's given to me, and it did man it touched me, and I know, I know now what Isaiah was talking about about softening the heart and writing on your heart, because there's nothing legalistic about it. I want to do these things to please my heavenly father, who gives me the gifts that I know that I can never earn on my own.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it did.
Speaker 2: Man, it just humble me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you got me out of it.
Speaker 2: Where's the tissues we don't have?
Speaker 3: We're men here. Yeah, it says like you're thinking, But.
Speaker 2: It's crazy though, Like how the Old Testament all points that way, right, you know. Deuteronomy chapter thirty, verse six, it says, and the Lord your God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your offspring, so that you will love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, that you may live. You know, First Samuel chapter fifteen, verse twenty two. To obey is better than sacrifice. You know, this is all Old Testament when they were under the law. Psalms chapter forty, verse six through eight. In sacrifice and offering, you have no delight, but you have given me an open ear, burnt offerings and sin offerings you have not required. Then I said, behold I have come. In the scroll of the book. It is written of me. I delight to do your will. Oh my God, Your law is within my heart, you know. And I got three more Ezekiel chapter eleven, verse nineteen. I will give them a new heart and a new spirit, which is the Holy Spirit, the Helper will put within them. So even in Ezekiel Old Testament, they were talking about the coming of Jesus and the Holy Spirit. You know, Ezekiel chapter thirty six, verse twenty six. It's about you know. It's the repeated line from Ezekiel, just more emphasis added to it, you know. And then the last one I got Jeremiah, and Jeremiah chapter thirty one, verse thirty three. It says, for this is the covenant that I will make with the House of Israel after those days, declares to the Lord. I will put my law within them, and I will write in on their hearts, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. And no longer shall each one teach his neighbor and each his brother, saying, know the Lord, for they shall all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest, declares to the Lord, For I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more. Now you're gonna get into.
Speaker 3: Your Yeah, looking at the Book of Galatians, which the entire book of Galatians is about the old law. So Paul went to would you call it Galicia? Yeah, which they're saying, which is like modern day Iraq area, which I've been there, and them what you told me in the text of that's important about the whole background of why he was writing the letter.
Speaker 2: You remember that video, Okay? What was going on behind his back? That why he fell he.
Speaker 3: So, so Paul went to Galatia and founded this church. Then he did it what they call him a tour whatever. He he went a bunch of different places, and then he went the same route again, or at least through Galatia again. And then I think he was he in Rome when he wrote this. I can't remember.
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 3: He wasn't he wasn't there, Yeah, he wasn't there. So he wrote him a letter. Okay. So Paul addresses a problem with a group of people that's in this church of Galatia, so the people of Galatians, and he calls him a judaizer. Judaer is a person who believes you are saved through Jesus Christ, but is very legalistic, still has their Jewish backgrounds, so they were probably Jewish, and this is obviously in Gentile territory, but some Jewish people are there. So they're in the church spreading their little their little gossips and trying to turn the people with thou like a word against Paul.
Speaker 2: Kind of thing, and he don't have it all figured out right. Yeah, so he's only got half of it right.
Speaker 3: So let's see here, very Jewish background believes to the only way to be right with God is to come through Jesus, but also have to follow Jewish law, which is keeping all the laws, the holidays, the festivals, pretty much everything the Old Testament teaches. But also you have to have faith in Christ.
Speaker 2: So like Christ wouldn't enough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Christ, you have to believe that Jesus was died on the cross, but you still have to do all these other works. So is so obviously if you have a gift but still work.
Speaker 2: For it, it's no longer a gift, no longer a gift. And I got a story here later, you know, kind of to go more into that. But so Paul's addressing these judaizers and they're telling people that Jesus is not enough, that they also need you as law. Let's see here and what chapters stuff you end up?
Speaker 3: Well, okay, so this is Galatians. This is so Galatians is kind of split up in three different sections. If there's six chapters, so pretty much the first chapters one and two is is personal. He's pretty much defending himself. You know, this is what all I've done, This is what I've went through and stuff like that. Then chapter three and four is more uh doc doctornntle Oh gosh, what's that word?
Speaker 2: Doctrine? More about the.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, doctrine and then five chapters five and six is more practical. It kind of gives more explanation, I guess. And I'm just gonna basically let Paul tell you because he he does it pretty good. But uh so I wrote here, is it just Jesus or do we have to have do we have to have to add more? If we add more, then why did Jesus die? Right? And what happens after? And what happened after his death? This is like the veil? Okay, if you have to add works, then faith isn't good enough So who's gonna say that, right?
Speaker 2: It?
Speaker 3: If God won't good enough, we still have to do works and still have to do these things, right, then what's the point? Right? And then like we're talking about the veil right? So, so when when Jesus died, the veil in the temple ripped in two from top to bottom. And I don't remember where I heard this, but I've heard it when I was a child, Like the veil was four inches thick. Has anybody tried to rip a phone book? Paper is a whole lot easier to rip than fabric, So it is impossible for a man to rip four inch piece of fabric from top to boty. He had to climb up there first.
Speaker 2: And nothing is why would they want to what's behind?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So the veil separates the Holy of Holies from everything else in the temple, the presence of God. Right, So if it's ripped into you when Jesus dies, there is no boundary there. There is no because only the priest was allowed in there, and he had to do his own special sanctification, clean, clean, cleanse himself before he could even go in there.
Speaker 2: And Doug remember Doug saying that they'd even tie a rope around the priest just in case he got and clean, they could drag him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because if you wasn't clean enough or you'd I guess you'd die. So they would tie a rope to them so they could get the body back out. I mean that would be kind of eerie. You go in there. I'm the seventy seventh you know, priest.
Speaker 2: I hope that they didn't have a freckle underneath his armpit. I didn't see and be like.
Speaker 3: Man, this' a lot. There's a lot of bones in there. But anyways, so and and but what happened, what what's happened? Right before we get into Galatians. They sold they sold the veiled back.
Speaker 2: They tried to, Yeah, but wanting to follow the.
Speaker 3: Law they wanted to they continued doing their the Jewish people who didn't believe, they continued doing their thing. But at the same time, the handkerchief that they put on the lamp turned white.
Speaker 2: It stopped. The talent, which was a Jewish who they documented everything, Yeah, stopped.
Speaker 3: So you have all these things that happened besides Jesus dying on the cross and doing all this stuff.
Speaker 2: Too much evidence.
Speaker 3: And the thing is Paul was alive during all this happening. Paul Paul was I mean this when he was named Saul, he persecuted Christians. His whole life's goal was to kill him.
Speaker 2: Well, he was a phariseeat. Yeah, he believed what they what the people he believed like them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so and he uh like Justin was talking about a little video. If you get on YouTube, there's a guy named Skip hikes it.
Speaker 2: This dude's amazing.
Speaker 3: He's awesome. Well, he has a series, and me and me and one of the guys at work when we get time. I told him that we're going to start listening to one a day or one of you know, as often as we get a little free time, because everybody in an hour long, we're gonna I'm we're gonna listen to the whole durn thing. Well, he the series is called The Bible from thirty thousand Feet.
Speaker 2: So he got a book too. I looked at it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he gets into a lot too on on Galatians. Here we we I shared it with Justin. We watched it and it was really good. And then I also got right here. So if we have to do works right, so we believe you have died on the cross for our sins. We have the gift of the Holy Spirit, which Christ says is all we need, right, and that's what the whole New Testaments, the whole New Testament's talking about it. But we still need works. Well how much works Win's enough is is helping the old lady cross the street.
Speaker 2: Enough. Is a lot of scripture faith that that works is dead. Yeah, yeah, they coincide together, but it's it's it's an act of wanting to not illegalistic.
Speaker 3: You don't have to, but like like our preacher Doug said, a lot of us we're gonna make it into heaven with our robomb fire. You don't have to do works to get that to get to heaven. But if you're truly seeking God, then the works will come natural. It'll it'll all. Like Skip said in that video, it's like a tree. Have you ever walked among you know, around say he used apple tree, apple tree, right, and have you ever looked at that apple tree and it's sweating, it's moaning and groaning like, oh God, make this God, make these apples. No, that limb only has to be attached to the trunk of the tree. The fruit comes natural. It just happens, just kind of yeah, yeah, yeah, there's no there's no no work involved. So if you're attached to Christ, if you're reading your Bible every day, doing this, fruit will just happen. It's just it's just gonna right. Oh, that was perfect. I didn't even write it down. I was like, I'm not going to steal that, you know, I want to. Yeah, but it's it's kind of like, you know, I mean, it's the perfect example. Yeah, you know. Okay, So starting in chapter three.
Speaker 2: Saw that first chapter though, or the second chapter where he's basically given all his accolades and stuff like that, he touches on it. Yeah, you know, he said, we ourselves are Jews by births because like we talked about he was he said, so we ourselves are Jews by birth and not gentile sinners. Yet we know that a person is not justified by works of the law, but through faith in Jesus Christ. So we also have believed in Jesus Christ in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law, no one will be justified.
Speaker 3: Right. And then he gets into it, and what I'm getting at is the first three words missus. Chapter three, Chapter three, Oh, foolish Galatian. He got it wrong, he was, Yeah, he was. I think he was a little upset.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, he just opened his church and told him that the truth. And then they walked away. And then he's they're influenced.
Speaker 3: By by you have these little false teachings. This said, likes bewitched you, it says, yeah, yeah, yeah it's it says, not little little witchcraft. This is in in the study Bible. Not little witchcraft, but enticing arguments, you know, like they're just you know, just manipulating just well yeah, I mean Jesus died, but you got the wrong voices, yeah, yeah, yeah. And and what do we do? We all do it, you know, we all sit here and and and you know, we'll watch something or read something like, oh that's interesting. And the next thing, you know, you're thinking like they're thinking, even though they have nothing truly to back it up with.
Speaker 2: You're just relying off their interpretations in yourself.
Speaker 3: Right, And then and then next thing you know, you're going the wrong way, you know, And and you gotta be careful. You gotta have some discernment, you know, so.
Speaker 2: Because anybody can take verses out out of any book of the Bible and twist it. You can, you know, like the news today, I'll take a thirty minute interview and take two excerpts out of it and make it totally something that's not got. You gotta read everything around it and steady yourself. Don't take people's word for what they say.
Speaker 3: So it starts old full escalations. Who has cast an evil spell on you? For the meaning of Jesus Christ's death was made as clear to you as if you had seen a picture of his death on the cross. So that pretty much tells me, Paul. I mean, he explained it exactly how it happened. And they, you know, in school, they brought in that little little TV stand with the big TV and showed you a movie.
Speaker 2: Pretty much he made sure they knew the truth before he left. Right now, it's all twisted.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Let me ask you this this chapter or verse two, let me ask you this one question. Did you receive the Holy Spirit by obeying the law of Moses? Of course not. You received the spirit because you believed the message you heard about Christ. So believing in Christ, you get the Holy Spirit. Obeying the laws of Moses you get nothing. Okay, how foolish can you be after starting your new lives in the spirit, Why would you now trying to become perfect by your own human effort. Have you experienced so much for nothing? Or? Yeah, have you experienced so much for nothing? Surely it was not in vain, was it? I asked you again? Does God give you the Holy Spirit and work miracles among you because you obey the law? Of course not? It is because you believe the message you heard about Christ. In the same way, Abraham, the first Jew, he was a gentile before God come to Yep. Abraham believed God. And and at this point I want to say, it was about the children, wasn't that? His first promise was He's then give them children. And Abraham was like, I'm eighty something years old or seventy something years old. Then he said, step outside, look at the stars. If you can count them, that's how many righteousness? Right? And it said, and that's the thing, and it counted him as righteous because of his faith. Didn't even have the laws yet this was God's initial conversation with them. He believed God, so therefore God found him to be righteous in his faith. His belief of what God was telling them. The real children of Abraham, then, are those who put their faith in God, not his actual born of the blood of the womb children. He's talking about God's promise, which I mean Abraham could take it either way, I guess, but it was more of his spiritual brothers and sisters or children, you know, sons and daughters, the.
Speaker 2: One because it says in your name all nations shall be blessed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. You know, the real children of Abraham is the one who put their faith in God. What more or once? What's more, the scripture looked forward, or the scriptures looked forward to the time when God would make the gentiles right in his sight because of their faith. God proclaimed his good news to Abraham long ago, and he said all nations will be blessed through you, like you just said all nations. So all who put their faith in Christ shall be the same blessing Abraham received because of his faith.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we are now adopted right verse ten?
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, ten. But those who depend on the law to make them right with God are under his curse, under a curse to go back to a curse, I don't know, for the scriptures say cursed is everyone who does not observe and obey all the commandments that are written in God's Book of the Law. And like we said before, I'll read it again, cursed is everyone who does not observe and obey all the commandments that are written in God's Book of the Law. Nobody can do it. So everybody is cursed. We're all cursed. You can't do it, it's impossible. Okay. So he's saying, why why go back to the law when you're when it curses you, You're you're cursed if you that's the whole point of Jesus is to take the curse away.
Speaker 2: Okay, he becomes the cursed.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well yeah, so it is clear that no one can be made right with God by trying to keep the law. For the scriptures say, and he's when he says the scriptures say, he's going back to Old Testament stuff. And he's telling you what the Old Testament says, which obviously to fulfill Yeah him. So, and as for the scripture say, it is through faith that a righteous person has life. Uh, that's the quote verse twelve. This this way of faith, Yeah, this way of faith is very different from the way of the law, which says quote Old Testament. He's quote Old Testament again. It is through obeying the law that a person has life, because you know, the wages of sin is death exactly. So if you obey the law, you have life. But once again, if if, if a big, if.
Speaker 2: All you follow all all breaking none.
Speaker 3: So even though, and I remember I can't remember where it says it, but it was it was almost as if the sacrifice, the sacrifices were not appealing to God.
Speaker 2: Oh no, like I said, but but it was.
Speaker 3: It was like.
Speaker 2: It was a band aid. It wasn't to fix. It was a band aid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it didn't heal the problem. It just covered the problem. God Jesus healed the problem. He took care of it completely. Okay, let's see here the Christ has rescued us from the curse pronounced by the law when he was hung on the cross. This is what we said about earlier. When he was hung on the cross, he took, he took upon himself the curse of our wrongdoing, for it was written in scripture. He's quoting again. Cursed is everyone who was hung on a tree, And what was the cross? A tree? Through Christ, Jesus, God has blessed the gentiles with the same blessing he promised Abraham so that we who are believers might receive the promised the Holy Spirit through faith.
Speaker 2: Men, and thank God for it.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, So let's see here chapter four. So we got this is once again part of his doctrinal stuff before you go there. Well, I got something here highlighted which might be good.
Speaker 2: Because in the previous chapter, let's see verse seventeen, because you're going to four now, right, yeah, verse seventeen in that same chapter, chapter three. Yeah, Chapter three says this is what I mean. The law, which came four hundred and thirty years afterward, does not annull a covenant previously ratified by God so as to make the promise void. For if the inheritance comes by the law, it no longer comes by promise. But God gave it to Abraham by a promise. Why then the law it was added because of transgressions until the offspring should come to whom the promise had been made, and it was put in place through angels by intermediary. In the verse twenty three, Now, before faith came, we were held captive under the law, imprisoned until the coming Faith would be revealed. So then the law was our guardian until Christ came in order that we might be justified by faith. That the faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian. For in Jesus Christ you are all sons of God through faith. For as many of you as were baptized unto Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek. There is neither slave nor free. There is no male and female, for you are all one in Jesus Christ.
Speaker 3: God Jesus died on the Christ took care of the law. There is no more law because the law didn't help you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you are slave to it.
Speaker 3: Chapter four. Think of it this way. If a father dies and leaves the inheritance, this is inheritance of his young children. Those children are not much better off than slaves until they grow up. Even though they actually own everything their father had, they have to obey their guardians until they reach whatever age that their father set to get their inheritance right. So if it was twenty five years old, they're stuck listening to whoever. So they're still slaves. And so it's saying the old law was like the guardian. It's there until Christ comes to set you free, you know. And that's the way it was with us before Christ came. That's exactly what I was saying. We were like children. We were slaves to the basic spiritual principles of this world. But when the right time came, God sent his son, born of a woman subject to the law. God sent him to buy freedom for us, who were slaves to the law, so that he would adopt us as his very own children. And because we were his children, God was sent. God has sent the spirit of his son into our hearts, the Holy Spirit, prompting us to call out of a father. Now we are no longer slaves, but God's own children. And since there are, since you are his children, God has made us his heir. But we no longer have to go by you know, We're not slaved to the guardians anymore. Okay, Before, before you, gentiles knew God, you were slaves to the so called lower case gods that do not even exist, right, They're not real God, they don't They're just something we made up or whatever. So now that you know God, uppercase g the real God, or should I say, now that God knows you, why do you want to go back again? And become slaves once more to the weak and useless spiritual principles of this world. You are trying to earn favor with God by observing certain days and months, seasons and years. I fear for you. Perhaps all my hard work with you was for nothing. Dear brothers and sisters. I plead with you to live as I do in freedom for these things, for I have become like you, gentiles, free from those laws. Okay, I'm gonna move on down to verse twenty one. This is talking about the two children, Abraham's two children. Tell me, you who want to live under the law, do you know what the law actually says? The scriptures say that Abraham had two sons, one from his slave wife, so I believe that's his wife's handmaiden or.
Speaker 2: Something, right Ishmael's yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, and one from his free born wife, so his actual wife. Okay. The son of the slave wife was born in a human attempted to bring about the fulfillment of God's promise. Okay. So Abraham was promised they'd have children at his old age, and he was like, hey, you know, we've been trying. And his wife was Sarah, right, his wife Sarah.
Speaker 2: Just as fulfill the law, please God, Yeah, I thought he could.
Speaker 3: Well, we're trying to do our own things, you know, if we can put our own spin on it. You know, we want to do stuff our way. And my wife would ever tell me this. She said, why don't you go over there and have you know, relations, I'm barren, so yeah, go have relations. Take my handmaiden whatever she was, and they're born a son. Okay. But the son of the freeborn wife, which later on Sarah got pregnant, was born as God's own fulfillment for his promise. These two women serve as an illustration of God's two covenants. The first woman, Hagar, which was the slave wife, represented Mount Sinai, where people received the law that enslaved them. Okay. And now Jerusalem is like Mount Sinai in Arabia okay, because she and her children live in slavery to the law. But the woman Sarah represents the heavenly Jerusalem. She was a free woman, and she was a mother or she and she is our mother. As Isaiah said, rejoice, old children, old childless woman. Excuse me, rejews, Rejoice, old childish woman, you who have never given birth, break into a joyful shout, for you have never been in labor. For the soul desolate woman now has more children than the woman who lives with her husband. And you, dear brothers and sisters, are children of the promise, just like Isaiah or Isaac. Excuse me, just like Isaac, because you are now being persecuted by those who want you to keep the law. Once again, he's saying, the laws no longer just as Ishmael, the child born by human effort because they took it upon themselves, persecuted Isaac, the child born by the power of the spirit, because Isaac was Sarah's boy. But what do the scriptures say about that? Get rid of the slave and her son. For the son of the slave woman will not share the inheritance with the free woman son. So, dear brothers and sisters, we are not children of the slave woman. We are children of the free woman. So therefore we no longer need the old law to be this woman.
Speaker 2: We don't need the tutor no more than.
Speaker 3: Right Chapter five, verse one. So Christ was truly set truly as set as free. Now make sure you stay free and do not get tied up again in slavery of the law.
Speaker 2: You don't have these judaizers make you go.
Speaker 3: Backwards right exactly, Listen, listen, I Paul tell you this. If you are counting on circumcism to make you right with God, then Christ will be no benefit to you. Which circumcision was one of the one of the laws, and Abraham did it when he was ninety nine years old. I'll say again, if you are trying to find favor with God by being circumcised, you must obey every regulation in the Law of Moses, because that is, if you're doing the laws, then you must do all the laws. For if you are trying to make yourselves right with God by keeping the law, you must be cut off from Christ because the old law is different than what Christ said. Right, you have fallen away from God's grace. It's not what I say, That's what Paul is saying right here verse four, which.
Speaker 2: And thoughy I think is just so profound, is he was a Jew.
Speaker 3: He was a Jew.
Speaker 2: Not only was he a Jew, he was a Pharisee. They persecuted Christians exactly if something changed his mind, right.
Speaker 3: Let's go down here to chapter thirteen, or not chapter verse thirteen. If you've been called to live in freedom, my brothers and sisters, But don't use your freedom to satisfy your sinful nature. Right, So you're called to freedom, but don't use your free other words kind of like what we're saying. You know, if if the law is dead, so what I want we'll see this is this is where, this is where my whole thing of even the Ten commandments, right, Obviously, murdering people is wrong. So don't use your your freedom.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: But oh I'm saved. I didn't go kill this guy. He he cut me off. No, that's not what's no, not at all. Okay. Don't use your freedom to satisfy your sinful nature, because we all have. That's it. That's humans. We are all sinful. We can't help it. We just try our best not to. Okay. Instead, use your freedom to serve one another in love, just like you said, in love. Okay, for the whole law can be summed up in this one. In this one command, love your neighbor as yourself. That's all that take. If you're loving your neighbor, you're not gonna kill him. If you're not loving your neighbor, you're not gonna take his wife or steal his car. Because that's not love.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: So the whole entire law can be summed up with love your neighbor as yourself.
Speaker 2: And that's what Jesus said, love the law.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but if you are always biting and devouring one another, watch out, beware of destroying one another. So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide our lives. Then you won't be doing the sinful nature craves, as in, you know less than after women or men, if you're women, whatever, you know, the opposite sex.
Speaker 2: We'll get to that analogy you was talking about. You got back from Iraq.
Speaker 3: So yeah, okay, so it was my second tour in Iraq. My time was up in the army my four year. I did my four years or almost in my four years. I had to come back and get out. I was not re enlisting, so I got to come back early from Iraq. We pulled out of Iraq in twenty twelve Christmas time. Our lovely president at the time, Obama, said that we'd all be home for Christmas. That no, we might have been out of Iraq before Christmas, but I'm pretty sure we celebrate Christmas drinking fake beer because that was the only other thing but water. I think they might have had gatorade. They might have had coke. I don't remember, but we all bought We all went in and bought like a case of the fake on alcoholic beer to just celebrate, you know, because I mean, nobody really got hurt that tour. You know, everything didn't at least in our group. You know, we survived, right, So, but we had Christmas there in Kuwait, right. Well, I think it was March February, March. Maybe I flew home. Well, I flew home with a contractor flight, so I think it might have been me and maybe Ell are three other military guys. The rest were all contractor people, cooks and whatever they did, intelligence whatever they did, but was contracted to the civilian side of of the world, I guess you call it. So we didn't land on our normal stops, right so, which I was still uniform because I didn't have any clothes because I was over there, you know. So we landed in Indianapolis, Indiana, So I had like a four hour layover. And if it's a military flight, you land, you up and go. If you get off the plane, you get off the plane in a little room and get back on the plane, you know, because you have your weapons use on a military flight. This flight didn't have my you know, I left it there. So I landed there and I went to this little pizzeria place. It was the only thing that looked good enough.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Well I was appetizing, I guess like that had little seunnch shops and this and that, Like you know, I'm looking for like a steakhouse, you know, at an airport something, you know them fancy or bigger airports you know, have actually decent restaurants in them. Well, where I was, it was just a little pizzaia place. So I go in there, and once again I wasn't living right at this time. You know. I ordered me a couple jack and cokes, you know, just unwinding order my food and all this, and I go to pay, and the lady was like, hey, you've been paid for right. So it's like Christ, you know, Christ paid for paid my my my dues. You know, my dues are rotten hell right, That's what I what I owe from my sins and everything else. But Christ paid my bill for me. Okay, So so what do I do with that? You know, if I try to add works to it, well, let me go wash dishes or let me let me clean your bathroom.
Speaker 2: It'll make me feel better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, because because I got to do something, I can't just have it give to me. That's pride, and it is pride. But what's the gift. You just took that gift and shoved it down the toilet.
Speaker 2: And insulted the person you give it to you.
Speaker 3: Exactly, So, so that's the same, you know, I guess a little analogy. That's the kind of you know, if I tried to do something to up their gift or to top their gift.
Speaker 2: Like, hey, could I add two more pizzas to that?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah, I'm shoot. I want how much money? How much money they give you? Let me get some more drinks, you know exactly. That's kind of goes back to the whole you know, even though you don't let your oh where was it? Don't let your faith anyhow, I don't know where it was.
Speaker 2: But yeah, just like Paul says repeated that I can uh. Oh, he tells you Hebrews and Romans, you know, so are you free to just keep on sending by no means?
Speaker 3: Of course?
Speaker 2: He says that repeatedly. Yea, you know, just because your bills paid for it doesn't mean you rack it up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. So anyhow, I hope that kind of helped.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which will Uh. I think that's a good stopping point, and we'll pick back up part two and we'll dive into the Book of Hebrews.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: That's one of my favorite books and talks about Christ as the priest uh and even goes into a Melkisa deck and see how he comes into play in all this. But keep digging, guys, and we appreciate you listening and come back to part two.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you for listening to the Dick Babble Podcast. Questions, comments, our future episode ideas we'd love to hear from that to Dig four two three at gmail dot com. If you enjoy our content, don't forget to share, subscribe and check out our Facebook group at the dig Podcast. Remember, you can't lean on a shovel and pray for a hole. You gotta dig