Speaker 1: Today's story is one of infamy. It has gone down as one of the most chilling cases in modern North American true crime history. Together, two men captured, abused, tortured, and murdered their victims, seeing them as mere objects or playthings rather than human beings. What these men were capable of, what they got away with, and how it all came unraveling is nothing short of jaw dropping. Today we discuss part one of the story of Leonard Lake and Charles NG. My name's Ben.
Speaker 2: I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and Grim true crime podcasting.
Speaker 1: The following podcast and material. I am listener. I feel like it's been a while since we've had that sound.
Speaker 2: I think it has actually, yeah, missed it.
Speaker 1: We've been recording in the mornings a little bit more lately, and it's been coffee, coffee and tea, coffee and tea. But now it's the evening, so we get the because heck to the yes.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, I'm sitting over here drinking apple juice like the true I.
Speaker 1: Am hey, nothing wrong with apple juice.
Speaker 2: I freaking love apple juice. It do be good, damn good, it do be good like that we used to go through four later jugs like weekly.
Speaker 1: You powered through that. Ye, Like your apple juice was chocolate milk.
Speaker 2: I think I had an addiction to it, to be honest, and I think it might be coming it's coming back. And I'm like, and you were the one that unleashed this.
Speaker 1: Because I bought apple juice once and then.
Speaker 2: I drank it and I'm like, shit, this is not good.
Speaker 1: Wow, apparently I just can't buy apple juice all right now.
Speaker 2: Our fridge is just going to have apple juice like going forward.
Speaker 1: Clearly, yeah, it's going to be the case. But apple juice aside. We're not here to talk about apple juice, but we are going to talk about a little bit though before we get into today's case. Is the fact that we are uploading two times a week, so this is still very new for us. It is the two times a week. So if you guys are enjoying this, well, I hope you're enjoying it. If you're not enjoying it, you're probably not listening to the show very much. So I don't know. We're doing it two times a week. That's all I'm really going on with. I guess it's exciting. I like it. It is. It's getting us double the true crime, it's getting us double the episodes, double the murderous stuff. But we're also getting into Halloween here coming soon. With fall, I kind of want to do a little bit more spooky things this October. We always do Halloween Week. Halloween Week will of course be making its triumphant return.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that week is amazing with who is r MC bringing Jacko? It's been a long time.
Speaker 1: It has been it's been a while, it's been a while. Oh my god, you can eat me off on a tangent again. Things. But Jacko will of course be returning. But I think we might throw in because we're doing two episodes a week, maybe we'll do like throwing a couple like paranormal things here just for the month of October, because why not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people like people I think really like paranormal too.
Speaker 1: And it gets you into the spooky it does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the whole month of October.
Speaker 1: Spooky season it is. It's pretty awesome and I'm looking forward to it. So it's not too far away. Yeah, So make sure you guys get your Halloween stuff coming, because I'm pretty sure leaves are already starting to change at least up here. I think we said that in a.
Speaker 2: Little episode in Northern BC.
Speaker 1: They are Yeah, that's what I said, at least up here. So okay, I don't know if you guys are going to be ready for this story. This is one that is uh, it's a doozy. Buckle your seat belts. This is a part one. So I'm going to tell you right now. Some of you might want to wait for the next episode to come out on Tuesday to listen to all of it together. But it is a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well your intro was a lot. Well what did you say in there, like play toy or.
Speaker 1: Something, playthings? I think objects or play things rather than human beings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just like I cringe when I heard that.
Speaker 1: I'm like, okay, okay, yeah, so that's very much so this case. But we of course have a lot of stuff to build up to those events, which is what this this episode is about. Is that build up to it. Okay, so we're going to dive in. We're going to build this up. Buckle your seat belts, because it is one hell of a ride.
Speaker 2: Bumpy ryde eh.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Okay, So starting off, we're taking ourselves back to June second, nineteen eighty five. So on this day, specifically, the weather in San South San Francisco, California was typical for the early summer in the Bay Area. The morning held a nice cool air and you know it hit your lungs with that refreshing morning breath as it was kind of the air was coming off the Pacific Ocean, right, And as the day grew into the afternoon, the sun perched itself high in the sky and the air began to warm up, creating that nice Californian weather that we can all picture in our minds. Right, you get Long Beach, you know, the surfers, the skaters, the people in the roller blades and the tank tops and jean shorts like we can picture. We can picture South col all of us can. R oh by, That's exactly what this kind of day was like. Now, was on this day that an innocuous hardware store called South City Lumber and Supply in South San Francisco had this event that would create a domino effect. Now, this is one that would unravel an entire series of murders and tortures that were pinned on these specific perpetrators that we will be getting into now. The store manager at this South City Lumber and Supply was working their normal work day. You know, whether it was inventory or whether it was since there manager, managing staff and customer service complaints, who knows what they were doing their regular day. And now is that we're going about the store, they noticed some odd activity from someone who was shopping in the store. They noticed this individual was in the midst of shoplifting. Ooh dang. Another man was attempting to steal what was a table vice and it's a simple clamping tool that was valued at approximately seventy five dollars, So it's a good chunk of change. Seventy five bucks is in cheap, especially when we've taken ourselves all the way back to nineteen eighty five, right, Yeah, So the store manager notified the store security immediately, and they watched the man leave the store with the vice. He clearly was not going to pay, so they followed him outside and into the parking lot, and the security guard confronted the man when he was at his vehicle. Quickly, the man discarded the object into the trunk of his car, and this man, as he was described to be an Asian male, then took off running. Now the guard wasn't able to catch up with him. It's a little unclear if he actually tried to catch them. I mean, he had the merchandise here in an open trunk of the vehicle as our need to catch them. But regardless, the guy took off and he got away. So the police were quickly called, you know, to report the theft and the incident and everything, to which they soon responded and arrived to where this car was sitting in the parking lot. Now this car was a brown Honda, and it was parked with the vice as I mentioned, in the open trunk. The police conducted a search of the open vehicle, and they soon discovered that there was more than just the discarded vice inside. In fact, it discovered a gun case that contained a twenty two caliber revolver equipped with an illegal suppressor or some people call it a silencer. Shortly after this, the man, sorry, another man, came out of the store and he gave his name and identified it and identified it identified there he goes not too decent at the end of that, identified himself as Robin Stapley, and he told police that he had just paid for the vice that his friend had just attempted to steal. So he's just like it's all good, Like I'm sorry, Like my friend tried to steal this. I just went and I just paid for it. It's all good. Don't worry about this, right, He's trying to like brush this under the rug. Okay, Yeah, Now whether the guy did or did not pay for this is actually irrelevant at this point because their attention was now turned to the gun that was illegally modified sitting in this Honda car. Right, So I mean, I'm pretty sure even if he did pay for it, like it's it's still an attempted theft, so you still got a contact police and charges too pressed.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I don't see that easy just to get out of it really, right.
Speaker 1: And that's what this guy was trying to do. Now, police notice that this guy was a little bit nervous in this whole situation, which I mean most people get nervous talking to cops anyways, even if you don't do anything.
Speaker 2: I'm always like nervous too.
Speaker 1: It's weird. I feel like even if like if I'm just walking by, like at a fair or some local event, there's just like police walking around just patrolling, right, I feel like I gotta.
Speaker 2: Like, like, shit, what am I hiding?
Speaker 1: I had to like stand up straighter and like try and act casual, not look at them sideways like you know what I mean I do. It's really weird. So this guy was acting a little bit nervous now regarding this, because this guy this was his vehicle. The man was quickly apprehended and he was actually taken to the police station to be be questioned about the firearm. The firearm that they had found also along to be questioned with the robbery incident as well. Now it didn't take long though, for the man to actually identify his friend who had fled from the store. It was on the drive from that parking lot at the hardware store to the police station that he told the officer driving the car that his friend's name was Charles Ing. Now his own identity. On the other hand, he did hide for as long as he could. When they arrived at the station and began searching through the possessions on the man, they found his ID card that he had had to match the name that he had given Robin Stapeley. How Well, however, nothing else on the ID card did match just the name. This clearly wasn't the same individual.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yeah, I see, Okay, it was not his ID. Okay, Oh man, they're going to be getting in some trouble here. This isn't good.
Speaker 1: Oh just you wait, because shit it. I guarant fucking tee you you will not see the turn this takes here shortly. Okay, I fucking guarantee you take take a wild guess on just some wild shit that you think could happen in the situation, and I guarantee you wrong.
Speaker 2: Seriously, yes, so you're just setting me up to fail.
Speaker 1: I guarantee you will not guess it. It's just so left wing, You're like, you'll be like, what the fuck? I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking that these are the guys that are doing bad shit. Like, clearly I can't be wrong with that, can I?
Speaker 1: Well, obviously, but I mean, what happens here at the police station?
Speaker 2: Oh, I have no idea, Okay, I have no idea.
Speaker 1: Well, they're definitely suspicious of this guy because he's got given a false false name with a potentially stolen ID. Right, so they were very suspicious, suspicious of this individual, and they put him in a room for questioning. And it didn't take long for him to actually come clean. He told officers that his real name was Leonard Lake. He said he was a fugitive, and he told officers, the ones that was questioning him, that he would make an official statement. So he asked for a pen and a paper. You know, you got to make a statement, right, you got to write some stuff down. So he asked her pen, paper, and a glass of water. Now, the officers left to go grab the pen and paper and brought it back to him, and in that time that they said, Okay, we'll give you a minute to write all this down, you know, make your statement on the paper, make it official. Whatever. They left him in the room by himself. By the time they had come back, the man who was sitting in the room by himself, Leonard, was laying on the floor convulsing violently.
Speaker 2: Oh geez.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they didn't know what the fuck was going on, whether it was epilepsy or something else, but he was reportedly flopping around like a fish out of water. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Because I'm also assuming that they probably like you know, patted him down or searched him or whatever.
Speaker 1: Definitely, yeah, no, they padded him down, they searched him, especially considering he had a fighter arm in his car, right yep. So they did a thorough search he he had nothing on him, so they rushed him to the hospital via ambulance to give him medical attention that he needed. But it didn't take long for them to get some news. The police received news from the hospital that Lake was brain dead. What the he though his heart was still pumping, his brain nothing there, He was dead, his brain dead, right, yeah. So at the hospital they would take him off life support and they did an autopsy on him to try and figure out what the fuck happened. And what they discovered was the last thing anyone would suspect. Dunt, dun, dunt. Just like I said, right, you're not gonna fucking see this coming. Leonard Lake died of cyanide poising poisoning. They found that he had a capsule of cyanide sewn into the hem of his shirt and he ate the cyanide while in police custody.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, okay, yeah, I would never have guessed that. Nope, Like, oh, like it was just there kind of in case he gets some shit that he just takes this, I guess.
Speaker 1: Eh, you bet youa wow? Okay, so they were able to determine that the tablet was a gel tablet, and it would take about twenty to twenty five minutes or so for the cyanide to really reach his bloodstream and affect him.
Speaker 2: YEI.
Speaker 1: This puts the timeline of him ingesting the tablet around when he started talking to the police in the lumberyard.
Speaker 2: Okay, so he that's interesting that he didn't just run too or something. Eh, you know, like maybe or maybe he just thought that he could get away with it, if with the story or who.
Speaker 1: Knows, and maybe the moment he was put in the backseat of car.
Speaker 2: That's when he's like dang, yeah, yeah, you know, I do say like, I do really like his name. He's probably a terrible person, but Leonard Lake, like that's kind.
Speaker 1: Of a good name, kind of rolls off the tongue. Yeah, strong, Yeah, Now there are I do want to say this. There are some stories suggesting that he actually ate this tablet inside interrogation room while like, you know, he's like, oh, I need dependent paper and while the officers fetched it, they ate it or he ate it and then came back and he was convulsing. As far as my research goes, that is false. I have seen in some documentaries officers who were directly dealing with this case reported that the reports from the hospital were twenty to twenty five minutes prior to so while they did leave the room and came back to him convulsing, the reports state that the tablet would have been ingested twenty to twenty five minutes.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, yeah, because you wouldn't think it'd be quite as quick as him just ingesting it when they left.
Speaker 1: The room there, Yeah, exactly. So just a clarification on that one, because that's actually one of the things that really brought this one to my attention was this highlight of oh, when their backs were turned in the interrogation room, he ate the tablet. So that is a false piece to this story. But either way, the results are the same. Leonard committed suicide by ingesting this tablet. Now. What they did also find though, inside that room, was when he was writing that statement, letter, that confession, or whatever you want to call it. He didn't actually write a statement. He did instead write a letter or if you will, technically a suicide note to a woman named Lynn oh Man, and it read.
Speaker 2: This, oh Man, we got to hear it.
Speaker 1: Dear Lynn, I love you, I forgive you. Freedom is better than all else. I leave it up to you to tell the law about the horrors of this house. Oh geez, yeah, that's okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's h hmm.
Speaker 1: Let that sink in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no kidding, I mean that is something I guess to leave behind there.
Speaker 1: No, that's something for sure. Yeah. So what started as a standard shoplifting event turned into a suicide and criptied suicide letter. I guess that's one that seemed like a suicide that also seemed to be very well planned out, as you mentioned, because clearly he expected this well at some point. Yeah, so there's some some shit that the police are scratching their head head over. They're shook.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, they can just let that be.
Speaker 1: No, and like, what the fuck did they just stumble into? Right, So, their next steps would be to identify the man who ran from earlier that day. So, as Leonard had told them, he was a man by the name of Charles NG. Now, a quick background search on the man's name showed some troubling insight. Charles NG joined the United States Marine Corps in nineteen eighty, but this ushery. But his time in the military was anything but commendable, especially when we think of like, you know, marines or whatever. Yeah, he's not so much a stand up part of the military. He was caught stealing automatic firearms, including machine guns, from the armory at the Marine Corps base in Hawaii. As a result, he was court martialed and convicted of theft. This conviction led to a prison sentence of fourteen years being given to him. However, before he could serve this time, Charles managed to escape custody and began life as a fugitive. Oh wow, Okay, now things get a little bit dicey here because Charles was not an American citizen. See, he was born in Hong Kong. As I mentioned earlier, he was described as an Asian male. He was born in Hong Kong, and he held a Canadian citizenship. Yet he managed to lie to the United States military even though he's not holding a United States citizenship and still joined the army. Wow military. Sorry, So let's just back up a bit and take a look at some of his younger years that led up to all this. So, during Charles's teenage years, he was often characterized as a troubled and isolated individual. Leading to multiple expulsions from various schools. At the age of fifteen, after being caught shoplifting his his father insisted that he attend Bretham Grammar School, which is a boarding school in North Yorkshire, England. However, his time there was short lived, as he was expelled for stealing from fellow students and subsequently returned to Hong Kong. As it turns out, Charles was somewhat of a kleptomaniac. Now, Charles obtained his Canadian citizenship through his father, who was a naturalized Canadian citizen, and he had acquired this citizenship even before moving to United States. But eventually he would make his move to the US in nineteen seventy eight on a student visa, enrolling in biology at the College of Notre Dame in Belmont, California. His academic career was brief and he dropped out just after one semester so following a hit and run incident shortly later, he would join the United States Marine Corps to evade legal consequences. Like he was the he was the one that hit yes, and then he joined the Marine Corps trying to evade the consequences of that incident. Now being that he was in the US illegally after he was you know, let go from the Marines, it would complicate the whole efforts to try and track him down since now he's running, they need to question him for all this, right as he could easily potentially flee the country to either Hong Kong or Canada since he is a citizen of both right, most likely holding a passport for both.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So all in all, authorities knew that they had their work cutout for them trying to track this dude down. As they did so, they continued to investigate Leonard Lake and how he played into all of this. Looking into the brown Honda car that Leonard was driving gave a few more hints into exactly what was going on. Some of the things that they found inside, and some of the hints and stuff I'll say that they found were a stolen a stun gun, paper, some papers belonging to people of various names, several different pieces of identification belonging to multiple different people. A single bullet hole in the car that seemed to have been fired from the inside, pointed towards a front seat that exited the roof. Okay, yeah, seemed like it was fired from the back seat.
Speaker 2: There's some shit going down in this vehicle.
Speaker 1: Hey. Oh well, when they ran the serial number for the car, they found it also belonged to someone else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was sort of assuming.
Speaker 1: The car was registered to a man by the name of Paul Costner. Now the kicker, Paul had been missing for seven months, so Paul had never come back from showing his car to a person who was interested in purchasing it when it was for sale in a newspaper ad.
Speaker 2: Okay, dang, you know I wasn't. It's not surprising to me at all that the vehicles stolen, but to also have the person the owner missing, yes, holy shit.
Speaker 1: So upon further investigation in the car, you know what luminol spray is, right, the spray luminall have light right, yep. So you know I said, there was that bullet hole.
Speaker 2: Exiting Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: They found blood covering the inside of the car. Yeah, with patterns of highs patterns that match sorry, high velocity gun splatter.
Speaker 2: So like, this guy was trying to sell this vehicle and there was probably someone driving it and then someone in the back seat, and then they just shot him. Basically is what you're saying. Yep, holy shit, this isn't This has not been the first case where shit's gone down on a test drive.
Speaker 1: Nope, there's been actually a few.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I just think selling vehicles is scary shit.
Speaker 1: It definitely definitely can be.
Speaker 2: Also, I was washing my car to day, and thank you very much, I was not as confident in the car wash bay as I usually am.
Speaker 1: My apologies, Is that good.
Speaker 2: For I'm a previous episode if you're not certain? No, And then I was even sitting in there after, like about to leave, and I had to lock my door, like I was just like, good God.
Speaker 1: That's good. Lock those fucking doors.
Speaker 2: It's good. But it's just like one place I was never afraid of before.
Speaker 1: Understandably under Like, in all honesty, who would just be afraid in a car wash? But it's it's the case like you have this, you have to be You have this guy who thinks he's just selling his car, and now he's he's missing, and investigators are like, I don't know if we're.
Speaker 2: Going to fucking find well, yeah, he's most likely like shot dead.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So so this case seemed to continue to take more and more darker turns, and it took these turns faster than any of the authorities, police, or investigators, or anyone for that net that matter, could prepare themselves for. But they did what they could. They kept up as best they could, and they continued their investigation, and in doing so, the next step was seeking out Leonard's mother, you know, next of kin and family. So they sought her out for questioning, and when they arrived at her home, they also found someone else there with her. It was a woman by the name of Clara Lynn Blas. Now Clara Lynn was Leonard's ex wife.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that's didn't he write the letter? It was to Lynn or something?
Speaker 1: Wasn't it he wrote the letter to Lynn? Okay? Yes, authorities immediately drew that connection as well. Okay, however, I mean like they can't be sure all shit, that's not me, like whatever, so they believe it was written to Clara Lynn. But especially upon like just like, hey, you know, your husband committed ex husband committed suicide and we're investigating potential murder and shit, like, I don't think they're really going to bring that up too much right away. They're trying to really to be nice about this and really, you know, be friendly and get as much information as they could. So that letter, aside her name, Actually, we also did appear in some papers that were found in that brown haunted car. Okay, I told you there were some various papers that were found. Yeah, there was an electric bill that was found under one of the passenger seats with her name on it. So when they asked her about this electric bill, you know where it came from and why it was in his car, she told police that it was an electric bill for a cabin that they had up in northern California. Okay, So the police like, oh, you got a cabin. You know that's nice. You know, do you mind if we take a look around at the cabin. At the cabin, yes. So they did not have a warrant at this point, so it was all up to a consensual search of property, which people.
Speaker 2: Will sometimes do.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So they asked like, hey, can you drive up there right now with us and take a look at the search And Clara Lynn was like, you know, I'm busy today, I can't, but I can meet you there tomorrow. So if you want to go up there, I'm sure you guys can search property tomorrow. I'll I'll go up and unlock it and let you in.
Speaker 2: Fair enough, but also like that gives her a day to get shit done.
Speaker 1: Well, that's exactly what the police thought. So they're like, Okay, that's fantastic, thank you, but please do not go up to the cabin in the meantime, like just stay away from there. They like they explicitly told her this. They did not want her going inside to fuck with anything, right right, which she agreed. She's like, yeah, you bet, no problem. I'll see you guys up there tomorrow.
Speaker 2: She's definitely going up there.
Speaker 1: When they met up with her the next day, she admitted to being up there the day before because she said Leonard was a bit messy and she wanted to tidy a bit.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, I'm surprised, kid, because the police could have, you know, just like parked there or whatever and waited to see, like they could have without a warrant. Couldn't they have?
Speaker 1: They could have And don't quote me on this. I believe that they were doing some surveillance on it, but there was some holes in the surveillance. They weren't able to have anyone there twenty four to.
Speaker 2: Seven, right, so well, yeah, because they're not really like sure what they got here yet and stuff exactly.
Speaker 1: And it's not like they can just be like, oh, yeah, we sent someone up there because we have a warrant to search this place. It's like you can't just do that, right, Yeah. So they were trying to do their best and with the resources they had, but they were unable to to survey it for the next twenty four hours.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So I mean when they talked to her though, they're like, you fucking went there yesterday, you bitched like. They were not happy obviously, but it was too little, too late. And again, no warrant, it's a consensual search. There's nothing they can do. It's her property. She has every fucking right to do that, right. So they just all they could do was was bite their lip, grit their teeth, and just go along with what was happening. So they walked up to the to the cabin, and as they were doing so, the police noticed that the cabin wasn't the only structure on the property. Okay, there was also a cinder block outbuilding kind of like the size of a shed, and they asked Carolyn about that and if they could take a look inside that as well. Carolyn told them they didn't have it, that she didn't have a key, and that she wasn't able to let them in. But she'll let them in the cabin and they can take a look around inside. So not wanting to push their lock or anything. Again, consensual search.
Speaker 2: You gotta play this, yeah, no kidding, They're like playing a game right now.
Speaker 1: All they have to do is piss her off in one shape or form and she kicks them out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's done, and it's fine, like she's allowed to really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So they are on fucking thin ice and tip toeing as carefully as they can so they can get whatever they can while they're inside, if they can even make it inside. Now, luckily enough, Carolyn did unlock the cabin and did let them inside. Now here's a good time, I think take to take a bit of a step back, and let's take a look at who Leonard Lake was.
Speaker 2: I don't know what the fuck's in the cabin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, that's why we're taking a bit of a step back. The free Leonard Lake, from an early age exhibited troubling behavior, particularly an unsettling fascination with pornography. His interest focused also in violent imagery that depicted control over women, and his fixation only grew as he matured in his adult years. Now, he was also still rather cruel as a child, particularly towards animals.
Speaker 2: Oh, I knew that you were going to say that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was known to kill small creatures allegedly and also dissolve the remains in different sorts of chemicals.
Speaker 2: Cool. Yeah that sounds great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not really good. God, I know you were being facetious, But whos the fuck does that? Serial killers?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Psychopaths? Yeah, yeah, I mean, of course, as I just mentioned, psychopaths are someone who have the tendency to do these as these Like it shows a lack of empathy and the develop of antisocial traits that are often linked to psychopathy. Right, so yeah, it's a normal thing that well, not normal thing, but it's a pattern scene in developing people with psychopathy.
Speaker 2: I mean seeing how they dissolve though too in chemicals is like next level.
Speaker 1: I feel like, don't get me wrong, I have that morbid curiosity too, Like I'm curious. I'm not about to fucking do it, I'm about to kill an animal to do it, but I'm interested in the results.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I actually feel slightly curious too, but like not to kill anything to go about that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, see I'm more likely to like buy a t bone steak and cut like a couple chunks off after I'm done, and like, you know, see what doesolve something like that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I mean you can probably google this too and find it out, you probably assuming.
Speaker 1: You probably can. I mean, if you check the MSDS for any of these chemicals, it's really gonna show you anyways. Yeah, which the labels it? You can you can check the websites. My Safety is coming out right now, so you can check the label of any chemical. It will relay you to the MSDS, most likely online nowadays, and you can look it all up. It'll tell you all about that shit. So anyways. In nineteen sixty four, Leonard enlisted in the United States Marine Corps, where he you know, has already troubling personality continued to manifest. He served during the Vietnam War, where exposure to the brutal realities of combat further desensitized him to violence and suffering. You know, he's already killing animals, trying to dissolve their bodies, and now he's going out and seeing violence firsthand in war, shooting at people that sort of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now. His time in the Marines ended though with a medical discharge in nineteen seventy one after being diagnosed with schizoid personality disorder. Things keep piling up. After leaving the military, Leonard married Carolyn BelAZ also known as Cricket. That was a nickname for okay now. Their marriage was a bit tumultuos us, with Leonard's disturbing behaviors and fantasies eventually leading to their divorce. Despite this, they did remain in contact and the two are still in each other's.
Speaker 2: Lives well, clearly because she was at his mom's house right exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I mean they still share the cabin together. They were. Though they were divorced, they were still evolved in each other's lives, one shape or form. So Leonard was struggling to maintain stable employment as well. He was often drifting through various different jobs, including working as a radar technician, but his inability to hold down full time a full time job contributed to his growing frustration, which would lead eventually into him engaging in petty criminal activity, you know, theft and fraud, basically to try and support himself earn a living that way. Right. Now, Throughout this period, Leonard would become obsessed, and I mean obsessed with a book, a nomine titled The Collector by John Fowls, which was first published in nineteen sixty three. Now, this book basically became this dude's bibles.
Speaker 2: Oh really, hey, okay.
Speaker 1: I mean like he's not like preaching it by any means, but it's definitely like how he fucking lives his life.
Speaker 2: And it's like, yeah, like he's he knows it from like front.
Speaker 1: You bets he'd probably tell you every freaking word in that book from start to finish.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Now, this novel The Collector centers around and a character by the name of Frederick Klegg. Now, Frederick is a socially awkward and emotionally detached young man who works as a clerk and spends his spare time collecting butterflies. Frederick is an outsider, much like Leonard, right, someone who feels disconnected from the world around him and harbors deep feelings of inadequacy. Now, Frederick becomes obsessed with a young woman by the name of Miranda Gray, and his obsession with Miranda grows over time, but rather than pursuing Miranda in a normal relationship fashion, right like, hey, you want to go out for coffee or something like that, he instead develops a delusiona belief that he can possess Miranda, much like one of his butterfly specimens in his collection. Oly shit. Yeah, he was a very disturbing man, to say least, and so was Leonard.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: So now police were standing outside this man's cabin getting ready to search it with his ex wife's permission and no warrant in hand.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, you almost wonder if she like, I don't know, I'm just assuming some sketchy shits in there. Well, she would have found out though she went the day before, but she could have been like missing things that would catch the police's attention.
Speaker 1: That's very true, because if she's involved in this and she did go clean some shit up, she's thinking she might have got everything. But did she Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well yeah, does she know exactly? Does she really know her ex husban thing?
Speaker 1: Right? Well, she might still really know though too, But just because she really knows him, does she really know everything? Because all it takes is say a picture or say a receipt, yeah, or in this case something else. But I'll tell you about it here in just one secon because that is the exact track that it leads to. So once that she opened the door, she unlocked it, you know, the key opened it wide and let the police come inside, presumably taking their shoes off first. I don't know in Canada we do that. I'm not sure if you guys do in the States or if your cabin I don't know, but as polights take a shoes off, so I'm sure that they, I kind of don't they did, who knows. But once they were inside they found a few odd things, one of them being when they entered the bedroom, the bed now there were holes drilled in the bed posts and in the floor. Now it seemed like these were specifically placed there for restraints to be attached and tie someone or strain them down on the bed. Right. I do want to say Devil's advocate here, It in itself is not anything incriminating. No, many people get fairly kinky. You don't tie each other up on the bed, you know, as long as you got a safe word and you play it cool, hey have at it. Yeah, And this, you know could very well be the case, because, especially in this situation, there was also a camera on a tripod pointing towards the bed, which again many people, you know, yeah, they film themselves, and it just seemed to.
Speaker 2: Make money from that.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe they've gotten only fans. I don't know, but that's what this situation seemed like. Potential restraints in the bed, a video camera sitting over here pointed at the bed. However, just because this doesn't seem like would be incriminating doesn't mean it's not incriminating, because when an officer turned and looked at the camera, it became very incriminating the moment they recognized the camera equipment. It was stolen. Okay, the equipment.
Speaker 2: I was like, what the fuck's wrong with the camera?
Speaker 1: But okay, okay, this equipment belonged to a person by the name of Harvey dub See. There was reported equipment taken from their home when he and his entire family went missing eleven months ago.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, holy shit. And this is a different person than who owned the Honda. Yes it is, Oh my gosh, because I remember that was like eleven months ago too.
Speaker 1: That was seven months ago.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, Okay, seven eleven.
Speaker 1: Seven, there you go, seven eleven. So while officers were on the phone actually matching the serial number with this because the officer, the officer specifically who was on the case the individual with the Honda right, same officer who was on the job for this family, never drew the link between them before, but recognized this equipment was on the phone with you know whoever it was at the office and had the case files. They're reading out the serial number and she's just like the last three members or this, this, this, and he's.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, yeah, good on him the way.
Speaker 1: So in he's doing his job for sure, like fully committing, making sure it's happening. And in this moment, as this is happening, Carolyn ended the consented search of the cabin. She told the officers that they were there long enough and asked them to leave.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, because shit's going down. They're gonna be able to get a warrant. Now. I feel like you think probably.
Speaker 1: Probably, maybe, yeah, but this is exactly what you're talking about, Like, does she know every Well, yeah, she probably never even thought, oh this is stolen. She might not even know that that was stolen. And even if she did know, how would they fucking know it's stolen. Yeah, because one of the fucking officers was on that case. So the dude that's fucking stolen from and you just let into your fucking cabin, bitch, that's how holy boom. Yeah geez. So, as I mentioned, the cabin wasn't the only thing on the property though, As officers were forced out of the cabin and they were leaving a property that couldn't help but look over it at that small cinder block outbuild, No kidding, they couldn't help but wonder what was inside. But in order to search it and search the cabin further, they would need to obtain a search warrant, and by then who knows what sort of evidence Carol could Carolyn could dispose of by then. And that is the end of part one.
Speaker 2: Okay, I've been stressed for the last ten minutes because or the last eight minutes, like because I've been watching your eyes look at the clock and stuff. I'm like, shit, is he even gonna tell us what the fuck's in the cabin? Like I was getting like antsie you can see here. But also, oh man, being a police officer so hard because I feel like I just like want to go back there that night and bust in what you can. I know you can, but it's just like it must just be so frustrating, right like, because like at my old jobs, like you have to get permission to do things, but it was never the extent of like solving such like intense stuff, right like, it would just eat me alive. I think, having to wait, like to get a warm and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's that's the thing. If you don't get a warrant any when you find the problem, you find the issue, you find the evidence, it's all fucking void, and then the person gets to walk.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, I know, I know that.
Speaker 1: Could have been the key to saving people's lives and putting that person away forever.
Speaker 2: Dang, I want to hear more, really bad.
Speaker 1: Well you're gonna hear more on Tuesday when we cover part two of this case, and trust me, it continues to go fucking down hill.
Speaker 2: I think Part two is going to be worse and worse and worse. You think, yeah, well, well, because you've compared this case to something, and that other case you're comparing it to is a bunch of shit, So.
Speaker 1: Don't look too don't look into that too much. That comparison, okay, because I don't I don't want you to get certain expectations out of it.
Speaker 2: Okay, okays are real old.
Speaker 1: Wow, all right, I don't know if that was a jab at me.
Speaker 2: No, oh, it was a jab at these nas.
Speaker 1: Motherfuckers, gotcha. Okay, Okay, Well, I just don't want you developing expectations of how this case is going to go. Okay, Okay, okay, Okay, trust me, it's fucking dark, it's fucking bad. But just take this case on its own and we'll get there. Okay, Okay.
Speaker 2: Then thankfully we don't have to wait quite as long.
Speaker 1: Yes, because we are uploading twice a week exactly, so Tuesday we'll come up with part two. In the meantime, If you guys want to check out more of our social links, they are on the description of this podcast Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, you name it, Patreon. You can sign up and you can get all the exclusive behind.
Speaker 2: The scenes, including a ton of extra episodes because we release one every month on there.
Speaker 1: Last last day of every month. Yeah, we upload a case, and we have this library that's been build building up over the last couple of years, so there's lots of cases.
Speaker 2: You can go check out and this month, aren't we doing something kind of special?
Speaker 1: We are? We Actually we talked to our patrons and they did a vote. They're getting two special things. I'll drop one of them. The other one you have to sign up for Patreon to figure out what it is.
Speaker 2: I know I'm putting you on the spot with this.
Speaker 1: Well I'm really only not saying it because I haven't figured that one out. But yeah, the other one is the end of the month episode is going to be a live episode, so it will be us live on camera, live streaming and chatting with everyone on Patreon as we do the case.
Speaker 2: So yeah, very cool, kind of like what we did at trench in Town.
Speaker 1: But for our two hundredth episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just for our patrons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think we're going to start doing that a little bit more often, specifically over on Patreon. Yeah. I love that. Love patrons too, because they are awesome. They support us, just like you guys out there listening to this episode, and you two are incredible, So thank you for being here, thank you for listening. And until part two.
Speaker 2: Oh man, we're going to have to wait for that until day Wicked