Speaker 1: Carsee the talk station BRN time is always pleased to welcome with the fifty five Carsy Morning Show, and I wish we had a lust depressing moment a topic to talk about with FOP President Ken Kobert. Ken, welcome to the morning show. It's good to have you on.
Speaker 2: Hey, good morning, Brian, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Somber, just heart wrenching reality that this Rodney Hinton junior guy, the father of the eighteen year old who was carrying a glock twenty three forty calib with an extended magazine, lost his life and at police shootout, Deputy Larry Henderson was intentionally targeted apparently by this Rodney Hinton junior guy. Your reaction, Ken, I know this has got to be emotional, and I just how does it hit you as a police officer and an FOP resident or representative.
Speaker 3: It's like a terrible nightmare. I just won't go away. I mean, it's been on the heart of all the law enforcement officers, you know, as we deal with YO what's going on. You have talked to many deputies that are friends of mine, and it's just it's a terrible situation.
Speaker 1: Terrible understatement. And I know that's how you got a phrase that Deputy Larry Henderson had nothing at all to do with the hint and shooting Diddy.
Speaker 3: No, nothing, you know, deputy that just retired a couple of months ago, that it was decided to continue to serve the community as a special deputy. And it was literally just uh, you know, running a traffic light for UC's graduation had nothing to do with this whole situation.
Speaker 1: And the it was the Cincinni Police Department who were involved in the investigation that's still in vehicle which ultimately led to Ryan Hinton's death.
Speaker 2: Correct, Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: So he killed a sheriff's deputy, so not even the same uniform as the organization that was involved in his son's death.
Speaker 3: Right, I mean, this was just pure evil that wanted to target a police officer because his eighteen year old son decided to make some terrible decisions that cost him his life.
Speaker 2: You forced the police officer.
Speaker 3: To take his life, and because of that, he decided that the retribution was to find the first cop that he had the opportunity to kill.
Speaker 2: It's just it's pure evil, is all it is.
Speaker 1: It is, And with all the witnesses and evidence there's not a question in my mind he's going to be found guilty. But turning back to the shooting, who did And I know you had commented before the video was released that the video was going to, you know, provide pretty clear information that it was a justifiable shooting, and I know Police Chief three Teresa Thiji says it was justified. I was a little disappointed that it wasn't more evident that the gun was pointed at the officer. Are we missing some details on that the shooting incident?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, here's the bottom line.
Speaker 3: You have these body cameras that and I went to recently to a class that talks about body cameras and what their capabilities are. That lends in these body cameras and these acts on body cameras, the lens cost a total of eight cents.
Speaker 2: So it's really no surprise when.
Speaker 3: You talk about somebody that's wearing a camera that is running as well as a suspect that's running, that it's not going to capture everything.
Speaker 2: It's not a surprise. It was blurry at some point in society.
Speaker 3: We've got to get back to we're going to believe what a police officer says an officer that is sworn to take an oath that is the epitome of integrity. We've got to start believing that if this officer says this just because it's not captured because the video is blurry, when are we going to decide that we're going to believe what a police officer says instead of saying, well, if it's not on camera, if it's not so clear on this camera what happened, then we're not going to believe that it's true.
Speaker 2: That's what we have to get back to in society.
Speaker 1: Well, and the other component is people fail to put themselves in the position of a police officer. And that officer was aware because if I got the detail is right, and you can correct me if I'm wrong, because I don't want to get up and get bad information out there. Ken, But the radio was on and going back and forth among the officers. He was told in advance the kid had a firearm on him. Correct, so he's gonna you can sorry, No, I'm just kidding. So he's on alert the kid. The kid's got a gun for God's take. My life is in peril and the community's lives in peril. My other officer's lives may be in peril. So you got a heightened sense of awareness and adrenaline flowing and concern that coming around that dumpster is a kid with a gun.
Speaker 3: You can hear that on the body camera. You can hear the other officer yelling he's got a gun. He's got a gun. He's got a gun. He's on your right, so that that can all be heard on the audio, and this police officer is simply trying to protect the community. There's no question as to whether this guy had a gun.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: The only question is and there's no question that he was armed. There's no question he ran with a gun. The question is, well, it doesn't show on the video specifically that that he pointed it at him. But when you watch the video, if you slow it down, you can see you know where the officer or or where the suspect is, what he's doing, and in fact, he was shot in the chest. Now, I don't know in what world people live, but if you shoot someone in the chest, it's hard to say that they were running away from you.
Speaker 1: That's point, that's that's the reality.
Speaker 3: He was shot twice, once in the chest. The second time was in his arm that went through his chest.
Speaker 1: And I said, the other component is in that situation, he's brandishing a firearm and I mean it only takes us a moment's time for that firearm and then the pointing directly the police officer and in your in. Again, it's a situational awareness kind of thing. I mean, you you have to be in a position to be able to defend and protect yourself and if you're that far away from it's not like you pull a taser out and tase the guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's nothing that says you when a police officer used deadly force that they have to you know, they have to have you know, been shot at or anything like that. All it says, constitution says, and what our rules, if you will, of engagement say is that you have to believe that your life or the life of another is in danger. That's exactly what that officer did. It's an officer has a lot of experience. That's a fantastic police officer that in that time he thought that his life was in danger and he did exactly what he should have done. And instead of you know, these community members that are all up in arms about this, instead of them going did this officer act reasonable?
Speaker 2: Which is absolutely true.
Speaker 3: The blame should be put on this eighteen year old kid that's running from a stolen car with a gun that decided to make a decision that forced this officer to take his life. That's where the blame is, not on this police officer who is protecting his.
Speaker 1: Community eminent apprehension of grievous bodily harm or death right. I mean, if you reasonably believe that your life is in danger, then you're entitle to use deadly force.
Speaker 3: That's the law. Yeah, that's pretty simple. That is what the law says. And that's exactly what he did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, any any understanding about where this firearm came. I mean, he's an eighteen year old kid carrying at clock twenty three with an extended mag and I guess I can understand parents being upset about their their son being killed, But the idea that you would go and kill an unrelated sheriff's deputy over this just is kind of mind boggling when you have to look at the circumstances. Your kid was running around with a firearm and wasn't even lawfully entitled to carry one, And I suspect the thing was probably stolen. Anyway, I'll hold your comment and thought on that, Ken, because we're out of time in this segment, I want to bring you back for a few more words from Ken Cover, FOP President on this absolute tragedy six thirty seven right now in fifty five k SEV talk station recommendation for you to get to well seven zero eight three thousand dot com. Why that's where you find the best team of real estate agents in the Tri State. It's Peter Schubria Kellowilliams seven Hills, outstanding of what they do. And I always like to emphasize providing true value. You need a buyer's agent or seller's agent. You want to get a return, and they provide a great return what we call a five star experience with programs that nobody else is offering. Including let me emphasize this one considering the subject matter of our conversation going on the Patriot Home program developed by veterans to help patriots buy and sell their homes veterans, folks of the VA, the police Department, Fire sheriff's deputies ems. You get ten percent of the commission back. It's a rebate at closing just for well serving the community, and I think that's a great thing. The Sabri Group is doing just one of many programs they have. I just recommend you check out the website seven zero eight three thousand dot com learn about the programs and about what the team can do for you. The best in the business and the only ones I would consider contacting if I was going to buy or sell a home. Five one three seven zero eight three thousand.
Speaker 3: This is fifty five KRC, an iHeartRadio station.
Speaker 2: If you had an extra thousand dollars, you'd be free to do it.
Speaker 1: Terms with FOP President Ken Kober talking about the officer involved shooting with Ryan Hinton which led to his father murdering Deputy Larry Henderson, who had no connection with the officer involved shooting. High tension situations, stolen vehicle. Ryan Hinton, the late one of four kids in the stolen vehicle, ran from police officers. Ryan of course had the firearm in his hand, as we know, body of camera foota our body video from the Sheriff's deputies proved that that was indeed the case, and as kenn has pointed out, you don't have to have the gun directly aim with the melon of the police officer. If you have an eminent apper a reasonable eminent apprehension of reasonable bodily harm or grievous bodily harm, you're allowed to use deadly force. It's the law. And of course Ken defends the officer's shooting. So Ryan Hinton's dead. How in the hell is it that an eighteen year old was carrying around a glock? And you face this kind of thing each and every day in the police department, don't you, Ken?
Speaker 3: Sure? Yeah, And that and that's something that's that's still being investigated, is how that came about. You know, there was another stolen gun in the car. I mean, it's just it's something that never should have happened, you know.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 3: One of the things that has been talked about is why did this kid get out of the car.
Speaker 2: And run with a gun?
Speaker 3: You know why is he's running the gun drops he drops the gun and then he picks it up anyway and then runs to the dumpsters and points.
Speaker 2: It at the cop.
Speaker 3: It's like, why did he do all these things? All he did to do is get out of the car and run. You leave the gun in the car, you know, once you drop the gun, just just leave it and run, you know, if that's what you want to do. I mean, that's that's exactly what we expect from these criminals that are stealing cars, stealing guns. Just run from the police. And this never happens. I mean, these were just fatal mistakes that were made by an eighteen year old kid that either either wasn't taught, you know, growing up, how to be a respectful human being, or he just decided to make bad decisions.
Speaker 2: You know, this is this is one of these things.
Speaker 3: Where the police are certainly you feel terrible, terrible that this happened. Yeah, you're terrible for the family that that this eighteen year old made these horrible mistakes. But it's just what it was. These were mistakes that he made that led to his death, not the police officer.
Speaker 1: And as far as the police officers concerned, what's what's the next step for the police officer.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean right now he's off on administrative leave trying to trying to process this. I've been in contact with him, and you know, it's bad enough you have to deal with the fact that you took somebody's life and then all of a sudden the next day.
Speaker 2: You know, now you have.
Speaker 3: A deputy, you know that that gets murdered simply for doing his job by the same family that created this mess on Thursday. And it's just it's a tragic all around. I mean, trying to process this. You're talking to Sheriff's deep that he's talking to your city police officers that I work with, and you know, trying to process this mess right now is just it's been very, very difficult.
Speaker 1: Well and you know, as to the officer processing this, I imagine he's got to feel absolutely terrible about it. And I've got one listener out there who thinks that the reason people get into law enforcement because they want to shoot people. And I've called them out about that before and I said, absolute utter nonsense. Barber sterising if you will, but you know, speak to someone who actually thinks along those lines.
Speaker 3: Can I mean, there's just no reasoning with somebody like that. You know, having been in law enforcement for nearly twenty five years, I've been in these situations.
Speaker 2: It's terrible.
Speaker 3: Nobody nobody wants to go to work and go you know what, I feel like shooting somebody tonight. I mean, that is just that defies all sensibilities. Well, nobody wants to go through this. Nobody wants to have to live with the fact that they had to take somebody's life. I mean, everybody comes to work every day going and I hope today is just a really nice.
Speaker 2: Easy day to be able to get through. Amen. And unfortunately that just.
Speaker 1: Wasn't that On third Well, and to the extent someone actually harbors those feelings inside, they're weeded out when they go through the academy, are they not?
Speaker 2: Without a doubt?
Speaker 3: I mean, you have a psychological exam that's roughly three hundred question psychological.
Speaker 2: Evaluation that you take, and then you go meet with.
Speaker 3: A psychiatrist that will evaluate the questions that you answered, how you answered them. And then you have a face to face fifteen to twenty minute interview with a psychiatrist that evaluates your body language, all of these things, what you say, how you're saying it, to determine whether or not you seem like you would be somebody that would be fit to do this job.
Speaker 1: Oh, and I take great comfort in knowing that. And finally, before we part company, Ken Cover and I appreciate your time today. Any word out there, I mean, do the police follow social media and anticipation of something like this, leading to what we've seen before. In spite of the facts and circumstances, people will nonetheless take to the streets and protest police behavior, like Black Lives Matter, for example. Any rumblings out there in the world about that potential.
Speaker 3: You know, we've had investigators that have been monitoring social media and all these things all weekend and they're you know, we've had death threats that hey, it's time to go kill some more cops, and you know, it appears that for the most part, this has just been a bunch of keyboard warriors that are you know, no doubt, I get it. They're probably grieving too. There's some of them that are just there for nefarious reasons that could give two hoots about whether you know, it's the hitting family or the police that just want to try to stir up a mess. Yeah, but there's really so far, I mean, there hasn't been anything that's been credible, but it's certainly something that you know, we've been monitoring just to make sure that you know, the city is safe, that the county is safe, all the citizens that are here.
Speaker 2: So there hasn't been anything terribly credible.
Speaker 3: Yet hopefully everybody decides to grief peacefully. But yeah, so far, I think everything's kind of been okay.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll pray that the situation remains calm and collected and people approach it exactly the way that you pointed out. Ken. I don't envy you and your job at this point in time, but I appreciate your willingness to talk to my listeners about the situation on behalf of all of my listening audience, and I speak with the exception of one. Apparently we all support you and appreciate what you do each and every day, putting your lives on the line for the safety of the community. And thank you for doing so.
Speaker 2: All right, Brian, thanks for having me my.
Speaker 1: Pleasure, Ken, take care. It's six forty eight to fifty five care City Talxtation looks like New Hampshire. Garret's on the line with the comment look forward to talking to you Gary if you hold on for one couple of minutes. Here we write back with you after I mentioned affordable medical imaging where you can save literally thousands of dollars. Got my next CT scan scheduled coming up in June. In advance of my follow up appointment to see if the lymph nodes grew again. That's another CT scan where I'm going to save thousands of dollars because it's only going to be well to be six hundred dollars because I get a contrast. It will be four hundred and fifty bucks for a CT scan if I didn't get a contrast MRIs. Don't pay thirty five hundred dollars or more at the hospital, get one for four hundred and ninety five dollars at Affordable Imaging Services. Echo cardograms. Don't wait around. Hospital may keep you waiting for weeks, maybe a month, backed up appointments, blah blah blah. They'll get you right in and it's only five hundred bucks without an enhancement eight hundred width, not thirty five hundred or four thousand dollars. Every image from Affordable comes with the board certified radiologists report included in the price. Low overhead, but the same equipment hospitals are using, so don't pay for the overhead, get what you need and save money. Five one three seven, five three eight thousand, five three seven, five three eight thousand online find them at Affordable medimaging dot com fifty five KRC