Speaker 1: On on on.
Speaker 2: A Welcome to the cec apprecial for episode five O four five four.
Speaker 3: Yes, holy shit, we're yeah.
Speaker 2: We're brought to you by the wonderful patrons at patreon dot com slash CeAl podcast, of which we have a new one to thank too, whether they like it or not, And they do, and we two things. Here's the thing.
Speaker 3: Okay, there's two of them. Whether there's two, here's the things.
Speaker 2: Here's the things. Yeah, things with the Z Like it's like nineteen ninety six and we're cool, living biz kid, getting the getting the kids me at Burger King and it's got a bunch of z's in it or z's depending on where he's from this meal. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah uh we oh my god. Producer Gary had a burger King crown on. What are the odds of this? What are the odds providence that we're here recording today.
Speaker 1: I love when you have like a like a Fates crossroads, like when the the guy beats the devil at a fiddle contest at the crossroads.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he doesn't though, did he? No, he doesn't. He beats the devil at anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Tenacious D beat the devil.
Speaker 2: I beat the devil at having the sweatiest butt crack one time.
Speaker 3: See you beat the devil. That's that's three people that have beaten the devil.
Speaker 2: Does that count though, Yes, because I I I use that as an expression like that's hotter than the devil's butt crack out here?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the weather beat the devil too.
Speaker 3: Here's devil a bitch, everybody beats him.
Speaker 2: Two things. Two things. First thing, okay, uh, we're going back to our roots tomorrow on Commander Cookout. You better freaking tune in because it's gonna be I'm feeling I have a feeling that it's gonna be a passionate episode.
Speaker 3: We're gonna talk shit.
Speaker 2: This is how I know. This is how I know. Tell me, I says Rando, I don't think we could talk about that for an hour? Is it just gonna be two nerds bitching into the internet?
Speaker 3: Like that's literally what he says.
Speaker 2: Is that what it's going to be? Like?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And he goes, no, we're gonna do this and this and this and this, and I go, I don't know. So then I shows up into the damn studio today and says, hey about the thing, and blah blah, blah, And we talked about it for ten minutes off air, not even trying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just in preparation for the show that we weren't preparing for.
Speaker 3: We talked about every So it's gonna be good.
Speaker 1: And I think that lots of people out there are gonna have thoughts on it as well, which is important. And if you have thoughts on the things that we're gonna talk about, you can get at us in the comments down below. And if you comment about anything that we talk about throughout the course of this episode, your favorite color, your favorite.
Speaker 2: Planet, We're not talking about those things now.
Speaker 1: What would be awesome if you could go to any planet in the in like the galaxy?
Speaker 3: What you'd like to see there, because we were talking.
Speaker 1: About that at edh now last night, just like things that were at rains, diamonds or clouds or sulphuric gases.
Speaker 2: In there, would have been nice to get an invite. I actually was gonna come, but then I said it work a little bit longer than I went to a hockey game instead of.
Speaker 1: This fuck guy. But the point is, if you comment on the video be entered in to win a Ceco sticker pack. Huh.
Speaker 3: Ceco token pack man or shitty old pack the magic card. You could you win those things.
Speaker 1: But the point is you could do that stuff on this episode and that would be super sweet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what, and and uh, I don't remember what the original second thing was gonna be, but the new second thing is gonna be man Alive. Are there gonna be some giveaway booster packs from this stinky c CEO onion bag at the Face to Face Games Open next week? Good lord, Yeah, I'm gonna have so much bullshit to give away. I'm gonna be giveaway sleeves and dice, booster packs, stickers and pre cons and charity stuff because man Alive it's going down. We got the okay to not only run the trash anti Commander Tournament through the Face to Face Open or tour stop. Give them the website tact MTG dot com.
Speaker 3: T act MTG.
Speaker 2: You can go and learn the rules, and there's a link to the Face to Face Games where you can go and register. You can pre register and you can have your deck uploaded online. If you don't, you can register at the event and you pay four event voutures like like you can you can literally buy a Commander package expecting to play commander and trade your event voutures in to play in the charity tournament, and doing that even donates to charity.
Speaker 3: It's important.
Speaker 2: How cool is that?
Speaker 3: It's super super cool.
Speaker 1: But this is important because trash Ante has a hard and fast rule. Your deck has to be worth less than fifty bucks, yes, based on the least expensive printing of any one card that's present in your deck.
Speaker 3: And you have to have a deck list to prove it.
Speaker 1: So I would say, if you're gonna just show up, I would have your deck list registered already.
Speaker 2: I put I built a deck or deck stats or Maxfield, right.
Speaker 3: I built my deck for last year.
Speaker 1: I built two of them to see and when I went in to make sure that my deck for this year was still good, it wasn't. So I had to make some changes because some of the some of the values went up. Bello that I'm going to give to you if you fucking show up and don't have a deck, it's still good. But the other one, the secret one, the one you would you will never expect me to play this one.
Speaker 2: I don't expect anything from.
Speaker 3: You, not anything, not anything.
Speaker 2: Well like one thing ever, Yeah, what is it? I don't. It's like three pop cans stacked on top of each other. Yeah, like those all going down your throat, like those little explain any of that further.
Speaker 1: I'm like those little kegs with Don Cherry's sweater on them.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, like one of those home kegs of Heineken. We got a self tap Uncle Brando's self tap and porium. Yeah he's Yeah, he's like a wacky inflatable arm flailing tube man with a keg of Heineken on the end of it. Oh my god, can you imagine that?
Speaker 1: No wind storm and a bunch of those a bunch of what windstorms?
Speaker 2: Oh, we were thinking about something different, Yes, you were.
Speaker 1: Thinking wind sock.
Speaker 3: I was thinking when storm?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 3: So flood of your yard and your son's swam in it.
Speaker 2: As everybody here swimming and flooding. There was swimming and flooding. H don't google that.
Speaker 1: No, that's fine that you can google that one. Swimming and flooding in Saskatchewan. People are gonna yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: What I was going to say about the about the whole trash anti thing is is, yes, have have your deck registered on Moxfield or architect or whatever. I advocated a little bit for some leniency and and what are we going to do when people show up? Didn't know that this was a thing like random face to face goers might come and say, Hey, I want to do this, I want to donate to charity, I want to play in command, or I want to win prizes, but I only have this deck. I would turn people away. This is what I was advocating for, is what happens when this happens.
Speaker 1: I would love to be the face to face guy that built the if you just show up to play decks out of the bulk that face to face has.
Speaker 2: Because I'm going to do you one better.
Speaker 1: And I could speak to to this like because Aiden and Alex and I and g off all built decks like that were excessively functional. Five klamarown Je Lennard as well built decks that are really really, really good. It's just trash, like I think that people think of trash and oh they're gonna play a bunch of shitty comments and your decks are going to suck.
Speaker 3: Fuck No, there's turn three decks, there's Turn four decks.
Speaker 2: It's very very actually, actually, Jared sink I actually asked me, can I do this and this and this, And he showed me a combo where it's like a lands deck that had ninety some lands in it. And I said, a guy did exactly this deck last year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but but here it was all but here's the key. That deck didn't work.
Speaker 2: He got pounded. Yeah, absolutely pounded.
Speaker 1: It did not work the way that he thought it did.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'll tell you something though. One of the things we talked about and and this is this is kind of just a t anty organizational thing. I hope people find it interesting because it actually ended up being funny and it shows the strength of our local community and how we're willing to collaborate and build ideas. And we do this lots where we build on each other's ideas to make a better end user experience or listener experience. Right.
Speaker 3: So I've been here for eight years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we said, what if somebody shows up and, like you said, bellow or whatever, you have to swap some cards out or sure the maximum dollar value that a card is worth. There's a card in your deck that supersedes that. You've got a five dollars card, your commander's six dollars. You got to swap it out whatever, right, my deck's forty one dollars. I got to cut this card. Yeah right, So we are going to be bringing bulk and trash for you to swap cards out of your deck for at the registration table. And we were even brainstormed names last minute led, last minute legends, the swap shop, the clutch, the clutch crate, the bulk bench, oh the bull like bulk bench, like the trash tank. Oh man, I like the swap shop, I said, fucking legendary. This is exactly what we needed. This is last minute legends, oh a man. And then Mona White Angel Aaron like took it a step further and he named a whole bunch of new ones. What the fuck did he say? It's like so many good ones where I'm not even gonna read them because you have to show up and find out. But there was all these ideas of what we can do and who can contribute and and what do we have to do so when people show up they can just play. And part of that is make it easy and accessible and and have and fun. Well well even before the fun, have cash or credit options, make sure that you can pay with event vouchers. You have them Anyways, if you're registered in the Face to Face event, Yeah, okay, you've registered. Oh my deck doesn't work, well, good thing for you. We got the trash tank. Go pick some cards and your colors and fucking make your deck work right. And and there's people who volunteered at registration last year that are unsleeve your shit.
Speaker 3: That's important, unslaving crap and let's do it.
Speaker 2: There's people who volunteered last year that are willing to sit down with people and say, oh, yeah, this isn't gonna work, or let's do this, or this is the card here, let's find something help you build your deck right. And that's the kind of thing that it takes to not only make an event successful, but to build a culture and to build like a foundation for a community. And that's the kind of shit that we do.
Speaker 3: And it's unique.
Speaker 1: This is an event that you're only going to get to play at Face to Face Saskatoon, not this weekend that happened two days ago, but this weekend that's coming up in four days. So if you haven't planned to come the Saskatoon you should, you should because it's the only opportunity you get to play in this insane event.
Speaker 2: Oh man, it was.
Speaker 3: If you want to see somebody.
Speaker 1: Show up with a condom with a bunch of cards in it, I wonder, now, matime make for a good death?
Speaker 2: Blok.
Speaker 1: We're gonna find out that gonna be your death blok.
Speaker 3: I haven't said anything.
Speaker 2: Just a magnum, just a big frickin' balloon.
Speaker 1: With a little bit of shit at the end of it.
Speaker 2: I'm not interested in that.
Speaker 1: Brando whire cards all crossed together.
Speaker 3: Shut up, shut up, shut up.
Speaker 2: That was yesterday's news.
Speaker 1: That that was this morning's headline. That's right, I said it. So anyway, I played eight games imagine last night, yep, and I won five.
Speaker 2: That's a six to twenty five win percentage that.
Speaker 1: I would make lots of money in the MLB with an average like that.
Speaker 2: I absolutely I've never experienced that before.
Speaker 1: Have you.
Speaker 2: I wanted to say, get better at magic, but if you won six twenty five percent of your games, get worse at magic?
Speaker 3: Like in three and a half hours, could you imagine.
Speaker 2: Did you just pound? Did you just pound? And the game was over?
Speaker 1: Every game was like that, and with the except I'm gonna all sympathies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't toot your own horn. Here.
Speaker 1: All sympathies to our our buddy Ben. He was the only one who didn't get to do the thing in eight games. He did the thing two or three times. You always hear about that.
Speaker 2: Right, We're like, yeah, we're gonna.
Speaker 1: Play a Commander game as long as everybody's deck kind of does the thing and then the game's over.
Speaker 3: We've all kind of got the victory. We had fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we did that eight times in a row. But like every game was over by turn six. It was like land something lands something lands something lands something lands something lands bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb Die Die, Die die.
Speaker 3: It was amazing. It was fucking crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what is Is that better than and I guess it's a matter of opinion. This is truly a matter of opinion. And this is one of the things that's hard for the Commander community to kind of get their head around as a as a whole. Is if you can play eight games, and and that's a lot of games, eight games and hours. Even if we said six games, that would still be a lot of games. We eight and if you have six to eight games in three hours, or you have two or two and a half games in three hours.
Speaker 3: Which we've also done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, both are fine, and both are both could be an expectation, really yeah, both could. Like, that's the range. You've got three hours, you play two or three games or six to eight games. Yeah, both of those are the expectation. That's the range. What side of the slider do you land on?
Speaker 3: That's tricky.
Speaker 2: I like landing on the two to three game side of the slider because to me, that's a little bit of a better story. That gives everybody a little bit of a better chance to do the thing politic jostle for position, win or sorry, almost win or almost lose, and then come back or get pounded. It gives everybody the opportunity to experience the entire gambit of what Commander as a format has to offer. Eight games in three hours doesn't always do that.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely, there was a a couple of them were certainly like, Okay, if you guys play a spell take eight, oh, turn four, ruin Nation, there's one land that isn't mine left and everybody scooped.
Speaker 2: You were a piece of trash. Oh so there was a scoop game. There was a scoop game. Okay, there was and there was two school. Hold on, hold on, this is the other thing I was going to say, tack this onto what I said, okay, before you started telling your ruination story. Also, different players are gonna like different parts of the game more. I kind of like untapping best my turn, best turn ye turn two is like, oh fuck, what am I gonna get to do? Right? And it's like land sol ring go right. Some people like that. I also like going my turn, best turn on turn ten and it's like untap my ten lands and play a thing and cascade, tick up my planes, walker, do all the bullshit right. So different players are gonna like different things.
Speaker 3: We had the ruination game was exactly what I said it was.
Speaker 2: It was like noorn, PingER, PingER, PingER.
Speaker 3: Something else. Like the game was over before our ruination. It was very over after.
Speaker 1: We also had a game that I had, And again, this is another one of the ones that I want.
Speaker 2: You're playing with mature players to know that they're not gonna be able to come back. Yes, and they're okay with that.
Speaker 1: And they're okay, let's go to the next game. And this is illustrating how big a piece of trash I am. I had the jinga taxes that flips over into a saga and it draws the cards, draws cards equal to the number of cards in your hand.
Speaker 2: We've done a deck on that guy before. That was an all killer, no Philler, Miller Aiden.
Speaker 1: Deck, then some kind of horseshit in the middle, and then you can play all the cards in your head for free and then flip it over. And I had a thing that represented ka, I'm gonna do this four times, and they were like, wait what And I was like, yeah, I'm just I'm gonna I'm gonna draw eighteen cards and then play nine of them.
Speaker 3: Then I'm gonna do it again.
Speaker 2: And they were like, okay, yep, this is the universe. That's the universal sign for next game.
Speaker 3: We'll just do it again.
Speaker 2: But it is not even a clap hey, it's just like.
Speaker 3: A but that's the thing. Other than those, It's almost like we all showed up.
Speaker 2: To do that though, because like other people get to do that kind of thing. Also, yes, okay.
Speaker 1: That's the thing because matters because lots of the time, and it was like okay, well, yeah, let's scoop it up. It was like, yeah, I was gonna win on my turn and you hear that all the time. Oh, on my turn, my turn was gonna be so good, but it was so often like, oh, yeah, I was gonna win.
Speaker 3: I was going to lock you down.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's the mark of a good game.
Speaker 1: So we have like eight really fast, really great games of Commander that were just Yes, that was so fucking cool, and I haven't had that happen in a long time.
Speaker 2: That's the mark of a good game is Oh, it's a good thing you killed me because on my turn I was going to do this. I was gonna blow you out. That's not necessarily a case of still had all these right, Yeah, it's it's a case of yep, you either went before me or during your soul ring or that one land that you got to search for because some bullshit that happened. That's what did it.
Speaker 1: When I chaos warped your thing and you happened to get a land off of it and then use that land to win, well.
Speaker 2: Shit, that's exactly it. And I like magic.
Speaker 3: I like that skin of the Teeth variance. I like that ship.
Speaker 2: If you like that ship, I remember, I like the skin of another kind.
Speaker 1: What no, that's buffalo Bill.
Speaker 2: We all knew what he was talking about. Cannibal is Yeah, so tomorrow on COMANDIC five O four. Yeah, we're talking about universes beyond.
Speaker 3: We're in the darkest timeline, folks.
Speaker 2: We are in of all the universes that we could all live in, we are in this one. And it's the one that we were warned about.
Speaker 3: And we even said probably won't happen. But it kind of has.
Speaker 1: And I don't think it's as bad as people thought it was gonna.
Speaker 2: It isn't. But which raises the question, are we actually in that timeline? Then?
Speaker 3: Yes, oh, okay, yes we are. We certainly are.
Speaker 1: And it's not gonna be like a negative ship in our pants and then show everybody how much we shit in our pants show, But because I think it's gonna be thoughtful and good.
Speaker 2: But I'm gonna thoughtfully shit in my pants.
Speaker 3: Yes, I have thoughtfully shit in my pants many times. I just don't tell too many people.
Speaker 2: Thoughtfully shit somebody else's pants one time. Listen to Commander Cook on episode.
Speaker 1: Five, Yeah, I did the Sun's Favorite story.
Speaker 3: You want to hear it? Listen to five.
Speaker 1: It's oh five, you want to hear what we think about the current state of magic.
Speaker 2: Listen to tomorrow CE Seal five O four. He's Brando, I'm Ryan, Producer Gary somewhere over there in the dark shadows, giving us either a thumbs up or a middle finger. Can't tell. Uh oh yes, damn it hit our theme song.