Speaker 1: Joe'scolante live from Hollywood. By Hollywood, you mean Burbank, across the street from a Wiener Schnitzel that sells beer. It's also a combination Wiener Schnitzel dairy queen. Did you know that, Sam?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I actually like the ice cream too.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's tremendous over there. This is two hours of the business end of show business. So you're lucky you just tuned into the right radio station, KiB eleven fifty on your AM dial. When we do this every Sunday. A lot of times during the NFL were preempted by the National Football League, But today, Wow, Sam, they just going to we're doing a live show. Even when we don't have a live show, we still do a podcast version, and this show will be a podcast in just a few hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, as soon as we're done, I'm gonna sit down and cut it up and we'll we'll give the baby a name and let it fly.
Speaker 1: All right. We were talking before we got on. I had I think I talked about this before. I wasn't going to talk about it, but Sammy had some interesting takes on the the Drake situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, and I don't know if you've paid attention to it.
Speaker 1: You know what I paid attention to it. I talked about it, yeah, and then I forgot about it.
Speaker 2: Well, because it's interesting. It stems from the rap beef that's going on between Drake and Kendrick Lamar, and both of them very good rappers. Kendrick Lamar basically ended the rap battle with a song called They Not Like Us, and it was a song that really pointed a lot of fingers, a lot of negative stuff, made some accusations about Drake and things like that, and Drake went on the offensive, but not by picking up a mic, by picking up a lawyer, and he sued everybody associated with the song except for Kendrick Lamar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's pretty strange. He's he. What I had read was that he was suing Universal, his own label.
Speaker 2: And which is also Kendrick's label.
Speaker 1: Okay, Kendrick label, and iHeart, which is our employer, Yeah, and saying that they manipulated airplay to get more plays for this. They they aren't like They They not like us. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's a typo. Did they Did someone check that out? They not like us?
Speaker 2: They not like us?
Speaker 1: No, They're not oh, they they not like us, like they don't like us or they they just forgot.
Speaker 2: The verb they are not they are not the verb he forgot.
Speaker 1: I wonder why he left that out. And then maybe it's so people like me wouldn't know what he's saying.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe maybe, But in.
Speaker 1: Any case, so he's that's that's your understanding of it too. I I did this and I forgot about it, he's suing. He's saying that that that they shouldn't have the airplay that it does.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, also they're saying that it's uh, it's not just the airplay, it's the fact that the label promoted it knowing that Drake is one of their more renowned stars and this is going to be something that defames him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, are they? Does he have a defamation part of the suitors. I thought that it was just the airplae stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, no, the defamation is real. He they made some accusations. Shall we say it was the song itself had some accurate.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's I I did read it. He's got a song called certified lover Boy. Yeah, and then uh, then Drake says, more like certified pedophile pedophiles And that's pretty bad. It makes me believe that Drake Drake is the pedophile or.
Speaker 2: That's the accusation from Kendrick even had a line in the song.
Speaker 1: Which ones and when they're calling who's the certified lover boy, that's Drake or that's Kendrick.
Speaker 2: Drake is the one who is having the Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Certified lover Boy is an album by Drake. So Kendrick Lamar says, more like certified pedophiles and that makes me believe. So what do we need for a defamation case. We go through this all the time, and it's really good for people that know this because people are always thinking they're being defamed and they're I'm going to sue you for that. But if they listen to this show, they we could save him some time and some trouble. On this show, we point out that number one, the claim has to be defamatory in the sense that it would make people spit on the ground if they heard it.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of spit on the ground right now, just saying do just.
Speaker 1: Take the pedophile part. If someone if tells you that, like your neighbor is a pedophile, you spit on the ground and go that's disgusting. Yeah, you don't spit on your hands by all means.
Speaker 2: Unless you're planning on coming up with a deal with somebody else and both of you spit on your hands and shake hands. Yeah, that's kind of the of the West.
Speaker 1: But you spit on your hands and you go disgusting. Oh, now that is defamatory. That's definitely defamatory statements. But there's a couple other things. It has to be not true. So if you sue someone and then they go ladies and gentlemen, their defense is I point you to the Drake computer screen where there are pictures of naked children, and here's one of him assaulting one, and we have certified this computer and that it is his, then he would be a certified pedophile. You can only say that if it's true. You can't say it if it's not true. However, there's one now that if that was just a regular person, But if you're a celebrity, there's one more hurdle that the plaintiff would have to overcome, and that would be was there malice because he's famous? So people people are always throwing around things to famous people that like maybe they might say Lebron James is a bum. Now you know, bum that means you don't work, you don't support your family. Disgusting. But you say he's a bumb. You can say that every day in your sports call him and call him a bum because he's famous. So it has to get this across this threshold of malice. You're not saying it because you're saying because you believe he's a bum or he's your opinion, he's a bum in terms of sports, and you're not, so you the malice would be. Let's say there was a you had some official capacity of like you're the coach, and you said he is a bum because you thought he was about to be like he was going to be go for another team and then go work for another team, and the team was like gonna gonna pay him, they were thinking about what to pay him, and then you said, I have to warn you the guy is a bum. He doesn't work, he doesn't support his family. All the money that that that we give him he uses for drugs or whatever like and then and then the other team would not and you're trying to get the other team not to hire him. Yeah, that would be malice. You you you had an agenda in this case, he's calling this guy a pedophile. Do you think that he gets past the the public figure threshold by virtue of that being malicious to try to do something? Is there a goal.
Speaker 2: Here, that's the thing. It's a rap battle. Yes, So he didn't sue the rapper. He sued the distributor.
Speaker 1: Right, So they're saying, where's my malice. Your malice is you're trying to make my records not sell. And they're like, why not, why would we do that? We own your record label and we make money if you make money. But this is a rap battle and it's awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fire back, it's making everybody money.
Speaker 1: Yes, So a judge might go, look, this is not malice. This is just rap battles. And so he's suing the wrong people because if he did sue this one, if he did sue.
Speaker 2: If Drake sued Kendrick, he lost the battle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's no longer a rap battle. It's just like, hey, you went too far. Yeah, because in a rap or any honorable contest, there is a point at which you go too far, and that could be you went too far, and the whole case could be about this guy going too far, and maybe Drake's kids are kicked out of their private school, their their preschool or whatever that they you know, wait waitlisted forever to get into. And then he's dropped by his agency because they think he's a pedophile. And he can show these damages that people take it seriously, then I would say Lamar has a problem. Yeah, so this will be interesting if it goes forward.
Speaker 2: The funny part is that that Lamar, Kendrick Lamar had a concert up in Canada recently up I believe, up in Toronto in Drake's neck of the woods. And it was a sold out show and Drake bought the first three rows out.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I heard about this.
Speaker 2: So then Kendrick Lamar went and just made it a free show.
Speaker 1: Made the whole thing a free show.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh, you just started letting people in. So what if you what if you bought the first and fourth row you paid?
Speaker 2: I think he gave people refunds for refunds. Yeah, so it just became a free concert.
Speaker 1: And then uh, then Drake said, Nina, Nina, Nina, I made you spend a bunch of money. And then then Lamar said, I have more money than you. You'll never know what it's like to have the money I have. It's funny that you're mad about that, because money is nothing to me. I have so much of it. That's how I wrap battle.
Speaker 2: Oh it was so good, you like, I just love it. No ever one thing. You just just don't piss off Kendrick Lamar's everybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I knows. I don't know what the trouble is with these two musicians. I think they should patch it up. But because also the courts, my friend, are not supposed to be used for childish stuff like this. They're used for so people to get access to justice. I'm uh, there's a lawsuit that I'm advising on right now, and the trial day is you know, it just it just got filed a couple of weeks ago. The trial leaders in two thousand and six, twenty six, twenty twenty six, So it's there's you know, justice delayed is justice denied, they say. And it's people like this that are making things worse, not making things better. But I don't know too many things that have ever been made better better by rap music. You know, sometimes it's fun, but nothing has ever made better rarely. All right, Joe Scalante Live from Hollywood. Let's stick to traffic. Oh, we don't have traffic today because there is no traffic. I just drove here and I sailed right through.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Nothing, it's amazing.
Speaker 1: Nothing to check. Nope, Joe'scalante Live from Hollywood. If by Hollywood you mean bird Bank. So Sam in the Celebrities Behaving badly department, we have Blake Lively, the star of It ends with us. This thing I don't watch. You know that's a TV series, right, I hope?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it ends with us, you know, I just I just don't see this one. There's too many. I like the penguin. Do you like the penguin?
Speaker 2: I need to watch the Penguin. We've mentioned this one last week. The penguin sounds amazing, and I guess it's.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's a movie. It ends with us. It's my apology. Oh, this is movie news. The director and co star Justin Baldoni has been sued by the star Blake Lively, who says that she was sexually harassed by Justin Baldoni. Do you know do you hear about this? Sam?
Speaker 2: I didn't. I just saw this headline right now, and it's I know who they are. I'm just trying to figure out exactly what the intricacies are and of this one is because it just happened about a day ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're going to get to this later in the show. And while we're talking about movies, let's go look at the box office. See what's going on. Because, as I mentioned in a week's previous there with all the negative things about the movie box office and all the people that are supposedly not going to the movies and movie theater shutting down, et cetera, over Thanksgiving, that the biggest box office ever. So, the biggest box office ever happened over Thanksgiving, like the biggest numbers. I mean, it's not adjusted for inflation really, but it's going up, not down. And then here's another story about the box office. Disney has been the first studio since the pre pandemic days to reach five billion in box office as a studio, So Disney and we have some there's some So Disney haters on like on the internet, like in the clickbait is always is is Disney going out of business? Or is is bob Iger? Uh? Can bo bob Iger possibly save Disney from bankruptcy? Stuff? Like that where it's like super extreme. I don't know why people like I know why you could. You can like a company, you can aid a company. A lot of people don't like them because of their professed uh morality that they're uh infusing into their programming. Okay, fine, but what you're going to spend time creating content to bash them? I don't understand that. I mean, you can disagree with what they're doing.
Speaker 2: A lot of people have issues with the fact that they're just by into everything that they've held sacred. Marvel, Star Wars, a lot of these things that like they want Disney to just be Disney as like as far as their memory goes, and not try to invade all of these other properties that people really have this deep seated affection for, yet are totally like hateful about every bit and piece of product that comes out from these properties and are totally critical of them because they don't like the fact that it's not being totally one up to Cannon. And it's like, you know, these people nowadays are trying to do stuff that's different that picking up more of an audience or whatever. And you know, you saw Star Wars basically get railroaded by its own fans.
Speaker 1: Well, it is terrible though you have to admit, ye, Star Wars movies are terrible. They was good, but that.
Speaker 2: That and and or are Piggyback and all the Star Wars right now. But it's still like at all of that problem started when Disney started getting their hands into it.
Speaker 1: But people also are mad at their political agenda, oh for sure, and but two and I think that's fair if you want to be mad at them or not to me, it's just like there's there's probably things that you know, they they probably shouldn't do, should probably stay more middle in the middle of the road. But if you're offended by if you don't want any gaze to work at Disney, there's not gonna be any good Disney stuff because they're very creative. So then you can say, well, then I just won't watch it. Okay, there's a lot of people like that. I know. I know some people, and they will not give one cent to Disney. They won't go to the park, they won't get Disney. Plus, they won't go to Nutsberry Farm, even though Disney doesn't own nuts Berry Farm, but they they but it has roller coasters. I'm just kidding. They So is this having an effect on Disney. Uh, there's a there's a story out now that says claims that there's an animated series called Win or Lose by Pixar and it no longer includes a transgender storyline, and so they're just getting rid of that. They just decided. A spokesman person for Disney said, when it comes to animated content for a younger audience, we recognize that many parents would prefer to discuss certain subjects with their children on their own terms and timeline. This is in direct uh contradiction to their their previous thing, which was you know that executives saying it is important that we steer the culture in a progressive direction. I mean they were like pretty pretty uh transparent about that, and now they're saying, only many transgender storylines and our stuff, But the parents do that, I mean, you know, really it's just for the parents. So yeah, they did about face. Now did they do it because they were it was costing them money? Or did they do it because somebody finally won a battle over there and said, you know what, guys, you got to stop it. It's a headache. You give me a headache. I'm getting complaints. Do we have to have these gig characters, these transgenders, these do we have to can't we just let the parents do that? What do you think it is?
Speaker 2: I think they finally realized that they were alienating a good chunk of their audience, and just by the sheer, just by the sheer mention of that of Disney, by people like Ron DeSantis as soon as it gets mentioned. It's everything is so polarized in this country that you're falling on one side or another of every single topic instead of just saying, look, it's not our fight.
Speaker 1: Yeah are yeah, or like yeah, we don't like that, but we still go to Disney, And pretty soon it's like, you know, the they're the two camps. If you're in the camp that hates Disney and something, well you're going to Disney. They go to Disney. Wow, I would never do that. Ye are you really? Don't you? Don't you love your children? Don't you want him to grow up solid citizens? How dare you spit on the ground? Right? Yeah? So? I mean for me, I don't like to boycott things because I'm such a weak person. I can't really sooner or later I got to boycott Disney, and I'm like, but I love the Jingle Cruise, So I'm just gonna go the Jungle Cruise and then and then I'm gonna leave. I'm not gonna buy a pineapple doll whip. You know, I just don't. I just don't listen.
Speaker 2: I go.
Speaker 1: You guys do that, and I'm over here. Every once in a while, I might punish a company if I see him doing something stupid, but it's you know, I'll say, well, I'm not gonna buy that today, I'm gonna I'm gonna buy the other one. But you start boycotting these things and you're just like yourself into a corner. And then when you get out of it and you've decided you have to you have to buy the product or go back or see the actor in a movie. Now you look like a hypocrite. So I don't do it. All right, let's take a break, and then we're gonna see how Disney and other movies fared at the box office this weekend. Shoe Ascolante Live from Hollywood Show business stuff. Hey, so people you know are going to movies now, Sam, have you seen any movies in the last week since since we were on there.
Speaker 2: I need to remember to keep pushing my button. I keep talking and it's not on. Yeah no, not since last week. No, I have not caught anything. I stayed in I stayed in bed and slept. I'm so happy that I'm done with school.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was just oh my gosh, too much. I had the Kyrock Acoustic Christmas last Saturday or Friday, an think it was.
Speaker 2: How was it?
Speaker 1: It's a big spectacle, you know, it's great, it's great, it's it's no. iHeart Radio Fest though obviously no. But it's cute at the Fabulous Forum and Sublime played, as you know, that's the band that I manage, and there was us who Beck and Smashing Pumpkins and three eleven and the Linda Linda's and it was fun, you know, because you know, playing in a band most of my life. The Forum is the biggest like target I think of any rock band at least like we're going to sell out the Forum. And you know, my own band, the Vandals, can only sell out the House of Blues, which is a major achievement for a stupid punk band. But we're not getting near the Forum. But now that I'm in the manager racket, hey, my band's at the forum. Hey, my band's on the main stage at Coachella. I can live through these kidstually two of them are my same age, but there's a kid singer. And then it was it was good, but then after that, I'm saying that. And then two nights before that they played in CanCon two nights in a row.
Speaker 2: And a company Christmas no less.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a company Christmas. I think we talked about last week.
Speaker 2: I heard pay attention. I mean, I love I love the California Adventure Christmases. Those are amazing. Thank you k Coast one oh three point five for all of your lovely work and everything.
Speaker 1: But man, can coon can Coon at the Moon Palace. It's a it's an upscale resort down there. And then Post Malone and Weezer and Sublime, and then they had like Whiz Khalifa the day before and then Nelly the day before that. It's just like, you know, they like rock and roll over there at that company. It was a power company that rehabs houses. I think like they get destroyed and hurricanes and things like that. Really yeah, wow, you might think that disaster profiteers, but I wouldn't look at it like that, I would say, these guys are helping people and getting justly compensated and giving some of it to me. Okay, now I think it's all on the up and up. And then you know, and then then then we fly back and then we got to play the form that night, and then I had these Vandals Christmas shows, and then the House of Blues in San Diego and then House Bols Anaheim, and then we then we have to rehearse. Then had to go to something at this like this pizza place down in Newport Beach and appear, you know, because you got to sell tickets, so you got to do things to sell tickets. Now, the Anaheim one was sold out, but the San Diego one wasn't. So I gotta go, uh play with this band called Tasty Nugs at a at the Remember the poor Man on the radio? Oh yeah, So the poor Man has a he has a radio station down there in San Diego in it's more Orange County. I think it's called KOs or something like that. So anyway, he's on the air there and they do annual Christmas show there. So now that's four Christmas shows I've been to, including my own. So I went and played that thing. Uh, and you know, I just not get any rest. And then tonight I got to drive to Burbank. Yes, we're in Burbank, across the street from a Wienerschnitzel. It's selling beer right now.
Speaker 2: And ice cream.
Speaker 3: Yeah you got a beer float?
Speaker 1: Oh, I guess you could. And uh yeah, just like so that's a long way of saying, I didn't see any movies this week. When was I going to see a movie?
Speaker 2: You didn't have any time.
Speaker 1: Not gonna go see a movie next week? So but number one at the box office, take a guess.
Speaker 2: Moana dos no.
Speaker 1: Sonic Sonic two or Sonic three and Hedgehog today.
Speaker 2: I've heard very good things.
Speaker 1: It's gotta be good if Jim Carrey is sticking with it.
Speaker 2: I think he was very much not wanting to be a part of the second one, but a lot of people saw his performance in the first one and we're like, dude, you gotta come back and do this again. Do it big, do it, do it bigger.
Speaker 1: So that's number one. I'm doing sixty two million dollars in money.
Speaker 2: That's the one I'm going to be seeing with the kids once they get back in town. They're up. They're going to have a white Christmas in the snow, which I'm.
Speaker 1: Going to be which mountains, because there's no mountains in this where my cabin is. Shasta is no snow.
Speaker 2: They to Shasta.
Speaker 1: I've climbed. No, I haven't climbed out Chesta. I climb out Lasson. Okay, it's not it's just walking up a trail. But it's right by over there. Okay. So Mufasa the Lion King is number two, and that's a new one. That's a lion king, you know, adjacent thing. Number three is the movie Wicked. Never heard of it? Number four Moana.
Speaker 2: Does how many of these top four or five are Disney adjacents?
Speaker 1: Well, this is two, and then Homestead's number five, Gladiators number six, So two of the top five, and so people are going to Disney movies and even though people are complaining about Disney movies, did you know that? Okay, So they remove the transgenderness in the character of that TV series, and then the girl that played the role was transgender because they put out a casting call for transgender actresses, which is a little bit weird. It's like, hey, everybody, if you're a transgender. You're so special, you get a prize and get to be in a cartoon, And I think that probably creeped out people too.
Speaker 2: It's like, I think it's kind of the same thing that made it so it became offensive for Hanka's area to be a pooh on The Simpsons. They wanted to have people who are more representative of the culture than just random voice actors coming in just to voice a character. I think they were just trying to aim towards the representation chick that a lot of people were into, and we just don't want it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. We know what they were trying to do when people and people are having less of it. Yeah, some people still I think that's great. Maybe half the country think it's great, but there's enough people that are just like, don't do it. I don't I don't want to stop it, so.
Speaker 2: They remove the entire character. Rather than just have like somebody who wasn't transgender voicing a transgender character, they just got rid of the character.
Speaker 1: So here's another outaword. Charctress Homestead gladiat I didn't see that gladiator to us on I think I've talked about this gladiator too, you know, there's no great writing, no great acting, but the special effects in the scenery are worth seeing that movie. See it in a theater, see it in a IMAX or a cinemak x D. This is what I saw it, and you will be It's an enjoyable day at the movies. I mean, you can't beat it. You look at it and you go thank the Lord for these people that are, you know, spending as much time on money in movies, because this is awesome, you know. But if you see it on your phone or in an airplane, you're gonna go like nang, it's not much. It might even change a channel. Now, the movies that people are talking about are Anora for awards from Neon Pictures. I'm just saying, this is people talking to me about it. Oh my gosh, you've seen have you seen Anora? You got to see Anora. And then the other one people are talking about talking about, well, as you said, the Wild Robot is still in some theaters, maybe the best movie of the year. And then people are talking about the Robbie Williams movie where it's a story of a boy band and it's kind of it's kind of the story of Robby Williams and his experiences. But the instead of a transgender.
Speaker 2: Person, there's Robbie Williams.
Speaker 1: They're playing Robbie. They have it as a monkey. A monkey plays Robbie Williams.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, is this like Lancelot Link style.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a little bit like my favorite TV series of all time Lancelot Link. Yes, Secret Chimp. Yes, well, maybe Green Acres is my favorite of all time. But after that, it's maybe the Adams Family. But right up there, maybe it's it's hard to pick, but Lancelot Link's Secret Chimp, which was a detective series where everybody was an ape, yep, chimpanzee or something.
Speaker 2: Well dressed too, all of them. Yeah, better dressed than me. That's saying something. I need to go and actually hit up some better clothes. The chimps are better dressed than me.
Speaker 1: People said that on the set, most of those monkeys. It was hard to work with him because they all have peanut butter breath.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's how they got them to go. Yeah, makes sense.
Speaker 1: I'm a talking parrot.
Speaker 2: Now, what does it say?
Speaker 1: It says hello, and it says I love you, and it says and it says what you think? It watched it, watched licorice pizza. Okay, he doesn't say that, not yet.
Speaker 2: I just I just love. I just love the fact that there's so much love going on in your house that this bird has nothing vulgar to say.
Speaker 1: No, he doesn't. He might say full of grace, full of grace, but we're like, you know, we teach him to say nice things.
Speaker 2: It's the most wholesome bird ever.
Speaker 1: But we found it, you know, so we as a baby. We rescued it. So it hasn't known anybody except for us. Oh anyway, all right, So the movies are movies are alive now with Nora, that one's happening. Other anticipated movies are the Venom movie, of course, is coming out, and these other movies. No one cares. You know, you don't. I'm gonna tell you to some name of the movie you never heard heard of. I'm not gonna do it.
Speaker 2: What's the Honora film about? Because I know what Vendom is about, and it was closing out Sony. That is like gonna be the big thing that Sony goes out with like a whimper, not a bang. As far as their Spider Man stuff.
Speaker 1: Goes, well, I'll take your word for that. Honora is the a story of a young street girl from Brooklyn, which is a city or a borough yes, and gets her chance at a Cinderella fairytale when she meets and impulsively marries the son of an oligarch Tune. As the news reaches RuSHA, her fairy tale is threatened as her parents head to New York to have the marriage and noled don't break my heart in order don't break my heart. I'm just adding my own dialogue even to this review. But from what I've from what I've been told, this is one of the best movies of the year. Okay, so I haven't seen it yet, but.
Speaker 2: The way that accent really got me, I'm now sold. I have to see this movie just because of the accent that you threw.
Speaker 1: Yeah, perfectly. Yeah, it's you know.
Speaker 2: I based off of that accent. It's my pick for film of the year.
Speaker 1: I am model.
Speaker 2: I have to see this movie now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not as funny as I'm making it out to be. Probably, But did you ever see the TV series We're Gonna Take a breakle Soon? But you ever see the TV series Russian Dolls?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Is that what it's called No, there's a there's a Yeah, it's a it's a reality show about Russians like living in like, you know, New York area, And uh, it's pretty good because.
Speaker 2: You know, like Russian oligarchs.
Speaker 1: Russian Doll, is not it that?
Speaker 2: That's you know where people who Odessa.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people that just got here and then they're trying to raise their kids here and their kids are very materialistic as you can imagine. And but it's I forgot what it's called. But Russian Doll is a TV series starring uh Natasha Leone as a game developer who repeatedly dies and then relives the same night in an ongoing time loop and and tries to resolve it.
Speaker 2: It's like a roguelike, that's what they call games like that, where you die and learn a little bit more every time you die, but you keep resetting.
Speaker 1: I guess, but that's the whole you know, premise. I've only seen a couple episodes, but it's interesting, pretty good. Okay, let's take a break and we'll come back and we're gonna explain to you what that guy was doing to Blake Lively on the set of It Ends with Us. Joe Scalante Live from Hollywood, Joe Ascalante Live from Hollywood. Yes, we are two hours of the business into show business every Sunday at five pm. Sometimes you'll turn on the TV and it'll be either a football game or the evil Matt money Smith talking about the Chargers. But that just means we're preempted that week and we'll be back the next week maybe. But we're always on the podcasting. Always said podcast every week, right Sam?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I know. We get it up there. We do it routinely, religiously.
Speaker 1: Just getting rich off these podcasts, how about you, Sam.
Speaker 2: We are no, No, I'm getting the same money that.
Speaker 1: I ever got, getting personally rich. Hey hey, personal like personal development, yeah, fulfillment, fulfillment, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like I feel like just part of me gets sacrificed every show.
Speaker 1: You die inside just a little more, a little bit in that freeway, for sure. So Blake Lively, there's a movie called It Ends with Us and it's I saw the trailers. I remember it now and I'm like, Noop. I think I might have said out loud, no, that's a hard no when I saw Sometimes I do that in case my wife's even thinking about it. Yeah, hard no on it ends with us. But so it stars Blake Lively. And then there's like a director actor named Justin Baldoni if that's his real name. Uh, and he has been accused by Blake Lively and there's a lawsuit they filed with the courts.
Speaker 2: I think he changed his name from Luigi Mangoni.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, nobody wants to be called Luigi Mangoni anymore except for some people.
Speaker 2: Some people are totally happy with it.
Speaker 1: I have guy's a hero to many people. Those people are are are disturbed and they're disordered, but he is a hero to them. Now, Justin Baldoni, what did he do? He he he made Okay, this is what. They had a meeting to talk about it, and then they had all hands on meeting on the set. Things got so bad during the filming they had to do that.
Speaker 2: He was so sexually harassing that they needed to call in a team meeting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they did more than that. You could have got a job on this. They had some professionals coming in to U two.
Speaker 2: I need to figure out how to become like an intimacy coordinator on this. Yes, I think that would be very helpful.
Speaker 1: You could you could do that. So they said in the list of things after the meeting that they all agreed there that that Baldoni wouldn't do or anybody would do is No more mentions of Baldoni's not showing nude videos or images to women. Okay, hey, look at this. You know you don't do that with those guys. It's a number game, you know. They get slapped, to get slapped, to get slapped, to get slapped, and then someone says, well that's interesting. Do you like this?
Speaker 2: Is this what you like?
Speaker 1: So you don't do that in the workplace. No more mentions of Baldoni's alleged previous pornography addiction. Okay, that's another one. Hey, you know I used to have a pornography addiction. Really yeah, you know, and then you might get some number. You might get someone to react like, eh, yeah, me too, or how'd you get how'd you get over it? Would you help me get you know, it's just oh it's gross.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: No more discussion about sexual experiences in front of lively h No more further No further mentions of casting cruised Genitalia.
Speaker 2: Okay, Genitalia, I can't believe they need to have a meeting for this, like this guy's this guy is that diabolical that they had to have a meeting about the whole Like that meeting was like the video training that we have to take for sexual harassment for like the company.
Speaker 1: Lesley Snipes in it. Wow, he was in the one on My How CBS, And uh, yeah, I can't don't mention your genitalia. I know girl named Jen and that in Genitalia is her Instagram name?
Speaker 2: Is she from Italy? Just Italia, Orange County?
Speaker 1: And then uh, no further mentions of cast and cruise in Genitalia, and no more increase inquiries about Lively's weight. Hey, Blake, how much do you weigh today?
Speaker 2: Like that's his best pickup line?
Speaker 1: You're way, let's see. The filing also included other demands like, now this is the filing. Let's making demands. But she's saying this meeting took place. We don't know if if he says it took place, you know, because it's like, but if she lies in this, she's in trouble. And this is a court paper. So the the other demands included no more adding of sex scenes, oral sex or on camera climaxing by blake Lively outside the scope of the script. Blake Lively approved that she signed when when she joined the project. So yeah, I mean there's a lot of actors and actresses just won't do that in a movie. Yeah, and they're probably better off because to me, it's I've made a few movies and I would never say, like, oh, we need a sex scene here. It's like, I'm just gonna assume. And then a lot of people disagree with me. There's a lot of there's a lot of critics out there that are like, this is what's wrong with movies. They don't have sex scenes anymore. And the one that they had in Oppenheimer was like everybody's talking about it because they don't have them anymore, and there and there, and why don't they have them? Who wants to direct a sex scene these days? You know? Yeah, it will come back to bite you, for lack of a better term.
Speaker 2: The room had three of them, and like two of them were exactly the same.
Speaker 1: The room. Yeah, yeah, so that guy's a pervert. Let's all be honest. Who wants to be the room the pervert going around? Hey?
Speaker 2: And it was him and all three of the sex scenes.
Speaker 1: You guys all have sex with me and you're in and we'll film it. And this guy is in the movie too. I mean, this guy is the director of the movie. So anyway, Wow, he's the director too. Yeah, I think so okay, So that okay, Yeah, that's it, claims the demand. The demand claims, yeah that the oh. It claims in the demand that these things at the meeting were embraced by Wayfair Studios, the studio that's paying for all this, the cash and crew of It ends with us, was also under a contractual obligation to promote the film. Okay, soon after they're done, and it's a horrible experience, they have to promote the film, and they they decided nobody's going to see a movie about domestic violence that I want to. So let's concentrate on the when we're campaigning about this film, to talk more about the Lively's character's strength and her resilience, as opposed to describing the film as a story about demxus violence.
Speaker 2: And sexual harassment.
Speaker 1: Apparently they were supposed to avoid talking about this film that makes it feel sad or heavy, and I'd rather say it's a story of hope. But in the days leading up to the film's release, Baldoni pivot and began focusing on the more serious aspects of the story, and, according to the film the filing, the actor and his team did so in an effort to explain why many of the film's cast and crew unfollowed him on social media and refused to appear with him in public. Se Yeah, they don't want me to talk about desert violence because it's a hard subject to talk about, and these people are cowards. I'm not, and I you know, I think so he was doing that, and they were saying that he was manipulating the whole campaign to throw a smoke screen on on what he did and just to change the topic. He says, the claims are completely false, and we will take a break here. We've got one more hour. Joe Scalante Live from Hollywood. Joe'scalante Live from Hollywood. If by Hollywood you mean Burbank, we're still talking about Justin Baldoni and Blake Lively in the movie. It ends with us. Evidently, Baldoni is also like the producer, like the studio they keep talking about way for her Studios is his company and he uh is, yes, like he's making this movie, and he's creeping the girl out, according to her, and he's making her have sex scenes and he's uh, you know, talking about his package and this this headline says Blake Lively alleges Justin Baldoni intended to use friendship with Taylor Swift against her. It's she had a she had a relationship. She's a friends with Taylor Swift.
Speaker 2: Ah, so she was weaponizing Taylor Swift in this He.
Speaker 1: Was using that against her somehow.
Speaker 2: And I don't how dare they weaponize Taylor Swift? Sorry, I can't straight face.
Speaker 1: So in the movie they were during the filming of the movie, they had to bring on crisis managers and stuff and and uh.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, bring me in for that.
Speaker 1: I'm good with that, as you could beat you could be a crisis manager. And then they each have their own PR people, saying it's just an ugly fight. So the each have the PR people, they're each you know, telling their stories. But Baldoni, the director, actor, co.
Speaker 2: Star, producer, boom mic operator.
Speaker 1: That's how I made movies, he says, these claims. We got to give him a side, you know, because this woman's either telling the truth or she create and you know, we've seen both in the in the news. These claims are completely false, he says, outrageous and intentionally salacious with the intent to publicly hurt and rehash a narrative in the media. So he's he's he's thrown out the malice.
Speaker 2: These are lies and false propaganda.
Speaker 1: We go and there's malice, according to him, But he's not suing her. But that could be the countersuit. Wayfer Studios, which is his company, made the decision to proactively hire a crisis manager prior to the marketing campaign of the film to work alongside someone else due to the multiple demands and threats by miss Lively during production, which included her threatening to not show up into the set, not to promote the film, and you know, ultimately she would try to hurt the film if her demands were not matt but you know, I mean hoarders. Her demands don't show me in naked videos anymore. It was also discovered that Miss Lively enlisted her own representative PR person to plant negative. This is what he says. They found out that she hired this PR person to plant negative and completely fabricated by the way, and false by the way. Stories with the media even prior to any marketing commenced for the film, which was another reason that Wayfer Studios made the decision to quo hire a crisis professional to commence internal scenario planning in the case blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Now there was talk of a sequel.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was going to be called It Ends in Litigation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well they did have a title, it starts with Us, but based on the second novel in the series.
Speaker 2: Oh so it.
Speaker 1: Starts, it ends with us. It starts with us.
Speaker 2: And then the third it ends in a courtroom.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to see this movie. I'll just tell you that right now. I just just don't want to. And I said that, uh now, speaking of movies that are like, like, you've seen this stuff about the.
Speaker 3: Snow White, what about snow White?
Speaker 1: About the the star of snow White talking uh too much in the media and getting and then they h everybody getting mad and boy getting ready for a big giant, good old fashioned right wing boycott of this movie.
Speaker 2: I have not seen this. What happened?
Speaker 1: You don't know about this? No, I mean you got heads in the sand. We've talked about it a little bit.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: The actress that plays snow White uh in the in this version of the movie, which is a you know remake, is uh Rachel Ziggler, and she's a lovely uh actress, but she keeps talking about like, yeah, that old stuff for the guy saves the girl. We're not doing any of that. Then people right away are just like, oh, go, here it comes and uh. And then they released pictures of the of the Seven Dwarfs and it looked like a DEI meeting or something like everybody was diverse, and people like, oh, here we go. And then they couldn't use actual little people because that would be offensive to give seven little people jobs. I think Peter Dinklich had something to say about that. Uh. And then so they they I guess the the the Dwarfs look so bad that they had to reshoot everything and put digital dwarves in it. So now they're not real people. They're just digital wacky wack geek cartoon people. And then people are looking at that and saying.
Speaker 2: Can't we just go that's terrible, just leave the cartoons be I mean, really, do we need to real We don't need to see gi re create live action every single Disney classic. Are they gonna do Fantasia next?
Speaker 1: That's funny.
Speaker 2: I'm waiting for very realistic hippos and Tutus at this point. If I don't have that by the end of the decade, I'm gonna be throwing stuff.
Speaker 1: Well, if more people would just go to the movies, then we wouldn't have this problem. Because the only way you can make money on a movie, you know, you have to make a one hundred million dollar movie to you know, make it just break even. And then you let's say you spend two hundred on the movie and two hundred on the print and marketing and stuff, and then you have so you got to have four hundred dollars four hundred million dollar movie worldwide to just break even. Then you're making you know, And then if you want to make movie, you're gonna make and then let's say you just barely make some money on that, and it's five hundred million dollars that you make, you made a hundred million profit. Now, if you make smaller movies that aren't based on rehashed ideas, they're gonna make you know, you could make it for ten million, and then you could make forty million at the box office and you made thirty million. Oh that's a triple. That's tripling your money.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: But it's no one hundred million. No.
Speaker 2: They're going for the knockouts for every big punch that they can land, and they're throwing whatever they can at the wall, you know, sacred goats, sacred cowsby damned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this would looks I mean, it's there's so many haters on the internet for this one. I mean to me, it's just like, again, yeah, you can disagree with what they're doing, but do you have to make like two hundred hours of podcasts about it? It's why did we start talking about this?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's like gal Gadot is in it too, like.
Speaker 2: As herself or as the voice of something. She's the queen as herself physically.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, like the queen. Okay, okay, So people are saying she's uh, overshadowing Zigler, and they're using her to market the movie because she is. I know, I always started talking about this. They're usual, they're kind of uh, this is the what people are saying. They're using Galga doot on the marketing more than Rachel Zego because Ziggler is now hated by uh, you know, half the country. So she uh, I she'll learn, she'll learn her lesson on this, I imagine, because you've got to because you can. You can talk too much sometimes if you're promoting a movie and you're just like, you got to be a robot. But some people, like when you start do marketing and you start, you don't want to be like everybody else, So you say, like, I'm not gonna be by everybody else. I'm gonna speak my mind because I have a personal personality that's amazing, and so I'm gonna share it with everybody. And then after you put your foot in your mouth, you go, I guess this is why you're supposed to give bland answers so you don't wreck your career. And then now people talking about movies just becomes like another like clickbait and headline. James Gunn says Battered Superman in new film represents the US. Now what rud right, It's a broken country and Superman is broken. Now we're gonna hear about fights about that. But it seems like he's saying that, like, hey, there are good people on both sides of in ideologies and politics and stuff like that. So I don't really know where this is going to end up. But Superman, I would say James Gunn is capable of making a good Superman, right, wouldn't you. I've given up.
Speaker 2: I've given up hope on DC doing anything productive in the film realm.
Speaker 1: Okay, I mean I think that's fair. What about Bobby Williams is a monkey?
Speaker 2: If he is as one of like the like the band the Monkey, cool. If it's him as Lancelot link style cool. If it's just him playing with monkeys and.
Speaker 1: Men, well, we'll get to that one later, okay. And then let's see before that though, remember this story about Ron Meyer from a Universal. He was the executive vice chairman and then he found out he was fooling around and then making payments to this uh uh what do you call her? Some angeneu a angue Charlotte Kirk, and then he lost his whole job as executive vice chairman of Universal. The new wrinkling, that is, he was also diddling her manager. I'll show you a picture, like you know, it's just like, you know, hey, why not a good first? I got that one. But the problem is he was married, and it just was like not wow, cool.
Speaker 2: Oh I thought he was just single and diddling. Now he's like married and double diddling, triple diddling.
Speaker 1: He was just you know, living his worst life. Let's go break all right, Joe's Galante Live from Hollywood. Joe was Galante Live from Hollywood. If by Hollywood you mean burd Bank. Hey, coming to Leader in the show. We're going to talk about a Dell who has a song that uh is uh she been accused of plagiarizing it, and then we'll sam we can do that. We can maybe play the song and everyone can hear it and decide whether they think it's plagiarized.
Speaker 2: I love it whenever we go in and figure out if like these songs have like we figured it out. I think we figured it out back in the day when Robin Thick or Alan well, Alan think's kid Robin Thick.
Speaker 1: That one Williams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they did the Marvin Gaye one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that one was wrongly decided in the in the lower courts. All right, we'll get into that a little bit later. Do you remember the college admission scandal? Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, back in the day, Laurie Laughlin, what was a lifetime Channel veteran.
Speaker 1: It's a full house star. She served two months in prison, and I remember them. I mean they were it was like, you know, you made a mistake, and then they were just being dragged across the through the mud in the media, and you know, they're were just really torn apart, and I think she was mad, you know. And then she went to prison for two months. And then now she's playing a law enforcement officer in an upcoming series on Prime Video called on Call, and she plays Lieutenant Bishop. I think that's her character in that one. And now she says she likes law enforcement. That's the news, like anybody anything. She says, it's like, yeah, I have a new appreciation for law enforcement because I'm now playing cops. She had to go on a lot of ride alongs and are you going to be watching on Call?
Speaker 2: So she's now a playing a police officer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Wow. I don't think I'm gonna watch that. There's too many things to.
Speaker 2: Watch, No, too many things to watch, and I just can't take that much irony. I'm a big fan of irony, just not that much.
Speaker 1: Too much. What's the new show with Harrison Ford. It's about analysts or psychiatrist or something like that. Do you know about this one?
Speaker 2: No, this sounds amazing though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm mentioning it to you because I know you're in that business.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, is he a therapist or a lawyers called shrinking?
Speaker 1: Huh yeah, so I have heard. It's very very good. Him and Jason Siegel are therapist.
Speaker 2: So fascinating. There was that other show that what was it? There was a therapist show that had the guy from the office in it, the main guy from the office.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, And that one was intriguing because he became he like was kidnapped by one of his patients who was psychotic and had was locked in his basement as the guy did crazy things and then came home to be animals, which was interesting.
Speaker 1: But the best analyst movie of all time? What about Bob.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah, easily, that one is one of the funniest movies ever made. And you can totally like doing what I do. You could totally picture some of your clients pulling that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Showing up at your home. Oh yeah, well, it's very similar to when Robert de Niro showed up at Jerry Lewis's house in the film that I the Uh. I told you to watch it a little bit ago. Do you remember Jerry Lewis movie Jerry Lewis Robert de Niro, It's called The King of Comedy and oh yeah, I insist everybody that comes back.
Speaker 2: That's right, you're talking about this one.
Speaker 1: You must see it. Okay, it's on Prime video right now. Yeah, so watch it. You're gonna like this movie, yeah, because it's it's these people are are disturbed and disordered and and weird, and it's about the search for fame and stuff like that, like I want to be famous kind of thing, and those are you know, I like those kind of movies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, and definitely anything that goes into like the mental health aspect of stuff like that, and especially for comedy brilliant. It sounds like something I need to watch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're gonna see that and then see if I have anything else for you. I don't think I think I'm done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's go. Even the monitors are giving up on us.
Speaker 1: For people that are not subscribed to the premium club of the show and can't see the studios, we have these giant lizards around that are walking around that he's talking about. Yes, that's what you're talking about, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, not actual computer monitors. I'm talking about like monitored.
Speaker 1: Reptiles, monitor reptile. Ye.
Speaker 2: Way, they are giving up, they're walking.
Speaker 1: Out, all right, So I'm we're gonna go to break.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's just take a break. Let's just take a break. Let me see if I can squeeze some stuff in here so that we can make it a full break. Yeah, how about that break? Okay, here we go. Good luck to us all.
Speaker 1: Joe Ascalanti live from Hollywood by Hollywood, you mean bur Bank, two hours of the Business, end of show Business, and we are live tonight. It is December twenty second, it's six thirty five in the evening, and we are. We had some technical issues because we were trying to set up this this this Adele song. Adele is being sued for plagiarizing an old not an old song with some of the nineties a Brazilian classic though by Martino.
Speaker 2: And the audio or the link that I got is one that has just a picture. So I'm going to find the the audio itself myself.
Speaker 1: Okay, you got to use that one though, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well no, it's just the one that you sent me is just a picture.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna send it to you again. Then how's that?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Perfect, we can do that, and then it's I'm pushing your address here, s M.
Speaker 2: That one, yes, s M. Not to be suggestive. Yeah, that one with the last name before the thirty two. You could just hit the scent button and it'll pop up and you can just send it to that one again. Also, I saw this one headline here that the what was it? YouTube? More people are getting their news off of YouTube, never before and it's never going back.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what we're doing right now. Yeah, that's what did I say to you. I said, go to YouTube. That's where we're gonna find the best information about Adele and this song. Because they're gonna go someone will have done a mashup. Yeah see, And then I mean you're going to YouTube. You know you're gonna find it and you get it. And then YouTube, to me is where for the vandals. I've told our social media guy, stop what you're doing. You just start developing our YouTube channel that kind of sits there and does nothing, because that's where people are. That's where I am there.
Speaker 2: I think I found this one.
Speaker 1: Pay I pay for the full YouTube thing, which seems silly, but it's worth it.
Speaker 2: Now that's the guy who they're saying that.
Speaker 1: She's the original guy. Yeah, nineteen ninety five, and that's her singing over his music.
Speaker 2: This would be in move to earn my styles after pay my lads.
Speaker 5: Together.
Speaker 1: Okay, keep turning it down a little bit. That didn't sound like anything that did. That was just authentic, frontier gibberish. But then when she comes back in, you're going, now this sounds so familiar. Okay, Now I'm going, yeah, what's.
Speaker 2: This reminding me of? There's another song that both of these songs are reminding me of.
Speaker 5: What we'll say?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, this song is famous. People know it. Yeah, try to find try to find his song just by itself. Find a version, find a version. It's just him doing that song, this one. I mean, because I want to make a decision here. Yeah, let me hear the guys, let me hear mister Martino da villa.
Speaker 2: Well, let me get the actual song name first.
Speaker 1: Martin, it's called Women.
Speaker 2: Yes, let's see here we go said to me. I don't know. All I know is we have to wait for anything.
Speaker 1: I know. Oh, you got to pay for YouTube. That's what I do.
Speaker 2: I just don't have it on my work computer.
Speaker 1: You gotta pay for YouTube.
Speaker 2: There you go, Let me get rid of via dell one. There we go and a dodge?
Speaker 4: Is that? That sounds like a different songs that preceded this one?
Speaker 1: Okay? Now let's now let's play her song, just a clean version of her song. They're all over YouTube. Okay, because what what's going on? While you find that? I'm going to tell you what's going on in the court system. The courts has said she has to respond. She he filed a preliminary injunction. So when you have when you have something like this, first she might ask for money and say stop doing that and give me Reddit.
Speaker 2: Learning to Fly Learning duram I let my it's the same cadence.
Speaker 1: I'm here because I'm trying to make a decision here that it's going to affect humanity.
Speaker 2: I must have always known that this would be inevitable.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, you can get rid of it. The it's it's it's a preliminary injunction. It's they're seeking a preliminary injunction. Now, preliminary injunction would stop her from distributing it, and they'd have to tell the label and all the streamers you can't play this song anymore anywhere. I don't know what kind of a power a kangaroo court in Brazil has, but they are that's what their The court would rule that, and if you didn't do it, then there'd be some consequences. In Brazil, they can't really do anything to you to hear, and I don't know if any services or aggregators would stop playing it, but that's what they're looking for. So there has to be enough to where the judge goes, Okay, there might be something here. I'm going to grant the preliminary injunction. Now if she wins, if he wins, you get a permanent injunction. So if to give a temporary injunction, there had to be like the judge would have to go, you know, there might be something here, so I could see I think there's maybe enough to move forward to have a trial. But because in the t but I wouldn't give a temporary injunction because I think, you know, there's a case here, but okay, let's go hash it out. But not like, oh, I'm gonna stop adele from You know, it's not that bad because, as you said, it sounds like some other song.
Speaker 2: It sounds like the song from the stage show and I guess the movie Phantom of the Opera. It sounds like Phantom of the Opera. Danaananana, Nana Nana has the exact same cadence. And so if they're gonna pay anybody, they need to go and pay the people that did Phantom of the Opera.
Speaker 1: Mister Andrew Lloyd Webber, Yes, that's.
Speaker 2: Just sir, and yes he's been knighted.
Speaker 1: He was, so I think he was. That.
Speaker 2: See, that's the thing right now, I think we just shot both of their cases.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, well it's Venom of the Opera. Why don't you play some Fantom of the Empera.
Speaker 3: I see if I can dig it out that one. Yeah, that's not that's still her.
Speaker 2: I need to get I need a computer with something I can figure out exactly here. I'll play it for them coming out of this next break. Let's break time. I think it's Fandom of the Opera.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll play Fantom in the Opera. We'll see if if we've just already solved this case, as it is, but I definitely wouldn't give give I wouldn't give a preliminary injunction. But I think what might be going on here is a judge in Brazil trying to become famous himself because he can have his power and he's in the news, and so if he's if he doesn't, granted it's kind of you could still have a trial without having that, but you know, if he stops it, he's some kind of hero to a lot of people that hate Adele.
Speaker 3: And I think that Adele that much.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean the people now it plays into the you know, this is under privileged country or third world or whatever it is down there. It's a freaking crime. Ah, it's a crime. Uh what do you call what I used to call it. I used to call it like a crime scene with a country code Brazil. I mean, there's so much crime down there. There's a lot of you know, great things going on too, but it could be known for you know, they're underdogs and then Dall's coming in and she's a white person trying to steal from these people. That's a narrative that the media likes, so I could see why it's it's got legs but you would have to go to trial because you need to break it down. You need to break down this song and see and the proper way to do it is say what was the copyright that was? What was wrong with that other one. We'll take a break, we'll review the Pharrell case to Joe Sclante Live from Hollywood, Joe Scolante Live from Hollywood. If by Hollywood you mean Burt Bank. It is two hours of the business, end of show business, and we do this every Sunday at five. If you're listening to this live, yeah it's fifty we're almost out of here. If you're listening to it on the podcast, sorry it so long. But Sam here, when we were going over the songs of the Adele song and the Brazilian guy Martino da Villa, he says she stole his song when she has her song called a Million years Ago. It was a very good song. It's like a popular song. And he says he filed a for a temporary restraining order or a junction for for that song to be ever played anywhere, so it's gonna be like band or whatever. I don't know how they enforce all that around the world, but you know, the problem is that, well, Sam caught it right away when I when I heard when I heard the two songs go side by side, and you can see this on YouTube or hear it on YouTube. There to me, it's like, okay, they sound similar. So if you really, you know, go ahead and plead your case. Plead your case and these guys can answer it. And then if we have a trial, the jury will be able to listen to the two songs side by side. But what was wrong with the Pharrell side is they had Marvin gay had copyrighted just the sheet music, so that's all it's protected, is the sheet music, and so they should have brought in, like, you know, a guy with the piano play the sheet music or a combo play the sheet music, and the jury would listen to that, then they would listen to Pharrell's song. But they didn't. They were out allowed to do side by side from the finished products. So they listened to the Marvin Gaye's finish product and they were like, yeah, I like the way this is, the you know the feel of this, and I'm influenced by Marvin gay like everybody else, and I'm gonna lay that down on my own tracks that's not illegal, and that court declared that illegal. And what you can't steal is the stuff that's protected. You can only protected stuff is protected. That's why it's called protected. So Marvin Pharrell, Williams and Robin Thick were ruined, not ruined, but it was just probably the worse.
Speaker 2: You know, Robin Thick, you don't hear from anymore. Farrell, he's a genius and he can come up with anything he wants.
Speaker 1: But it was just like probably the worst period in the period in their professional lives. And it was a sham because they were sued and defeated for taking things that aren't protected. So in this case, you could have a trial and say what's not protected or what is protected and try to make that clear and then say did Adele steal that? And I would say it's you know ed. Jury could come out either way. Maybe I don't think it's that strong. It's just one of those things where I like to say, like, really, so she should have been prevented from writing that amazing song she wrote that everybody loves so much because of the law, you know, or she has to go to him and try to get a sample rate from him. Uh, I don't think that we want to live in that world. We just want people to be a little bit influenced. And is that hurting hurt him? Is he stealing customers from him? And so he would get more streams if she hadn't written that song and stealing all his all his wealth.
Speaker 2: I guarantee you he got more plays on YouTube as a result of this.
Speaker 1: We just gave him money. Yeah, So I don't think it's a sin what she did, and I don't think she should be prosecuted for it. But then Sam came and said, you know what, I think that uh Brazilian guy stole that wy don't you play the.
Speaker 2: Song folks in a sleepy sang.
Speaker 1: In? All right, just stop it right there now play a little uh of that guy.
Speaker 2: Now, I'll play that guy.
Speaker 1: Let's see if I can catch it out of spots that age.
Speaker 2: So don't say that Moulage got this jes to catch it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not yet. Keep going. Imagine whom I dallish And this isn't part It sounds like adel right here.
Speaker 2: Anyway, this part sounds you need to come to itself.
Speaker 5: They thought that that.
Speaker 1: We're in a spot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll started from earlier Okay, there.
Speaker 2: We go, Shachil.
Speaker 5: You thought as a swoosh is dodge, I'm woodish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nothing's feeling either one. But my Adele, now here we go, Adele, we won't to. Yeah, there's much more similarity between these two family the opera one.
Speaker 1: Do you think they're more similar than the family?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, turn it off again. So you think they're more similar to each other than they are similar to found them.
Speaker 2: In the opera similar, much more.
Speaker 1: But so you're saying your family the opera theory.
Speaker 2: Is and his not near doesn't hold as much water.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it might be worth going to court and saying listen, and if you manipulated it like the way they do on YouTube, it might go like, oh, well, what of that part? Why why don't why doesn't this guy pay them for that little part right there? Yeah? I uh so I I but she has to answer. If she doesn't answer, then the thing gets taken off of all these you know, services, and she's got a judgment against her because I think there's a fine involved or something, and then she has to go down and to the Brazilian kangaroo court. You know, it's not really a kangaroo court. I don't know anything about it, but amount.
Speaker 2: Of money that she makes. Throw the guy at half a mill and he'll be happy.
Speaker 1: Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. This guy doesn't deserve a half a million dollars if she didn't steal anything.
Speaker 2: If she didn't know. But that's that.
Speaker 1: We should half a million dollars. It takes me more than a month to make that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, that's amazing.
Speaker 1: I'm kidding.
Speaker 2: I need I need that kind.
Speaker 1: Of So it what you well, what if he wins? He gets credit and he gets a retroactive payments back three years. So that's the len You can't go back in the US copyright, at least you can't go back more than three years. So you do you look at you would give him credit and then you would give him a share. They would like. The best thing they would do he could hope for, I think, is to negotiate a penny rate they call it, and then he would get that going forward and he would get credit and that would.
Speaker 2: What do he get like credit on the YouTube video views and stuff.
Speaker 1: Like that on the song area? Wow, okay, I mean he'd be entered in the system. This song would be taken out of every system and put back as co authors.
Speaker 2: Interesting, Okay, So in.
Speaker 1: Sound exchange you don't have to know not sound exchange because sound exchange just covers the recording of it, and he's not he's not suing over the recording. He's suing over the underlying rights the composition.
Speaker 2: See, that's a lot of intricate, like legal active stuff going on underneath this, like behind the scenes with all of the stuff.
Speaker 1: It's probably not that much money because it only goes back three years. You know, it's probably not more money than he's going to spend on this legal case. He's gonna spend more money in legal case, and he's gonna get going back three years. But in the future he gets royalties. Okay, And in the future, I don't know if you know, this hasn't happened yet, so you know he'll get that.
Speaker 2: So if they decide, like say, for example, they want to use this song in a film, would they have to go then to get permission from him as well as a co writer.
Speaker 1: As a co author, they need the if the co ofthers can make non exclusive deals as long as the account to the other the other one to the other person, but exclusive deals like maybe like exclusive, like putting in a movie it's exclusive. Yeah, I think you got to like, if you're saying, oh, I'm gonna sell this to a publisher, is gonna have exclusive rights to all this? You have to have the other guys. I'm just doing a bad way of explaining that. But there is ways for a co author to make certain deals without talking to the other person. But they would probably make an arrangement to have a third party handle licensing of this song going forward so they don't have fights all the time. And I think it's time for me just leave everybody with just a taste of the greatest song ever written. That that if you steal any of this straight to jail, Yeah, you steal the chorus straight to jail. Still the verse straight to jail. You steal too much of it straight straight to jail. You're still too little of it Straight to jail. All right, Joe's Conte Live from Hollywood. See you next week.