Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Depictions Media Radio. Welcome to policy and Rights the show Okas Golcom Policy Human Joys. Welcome back to policy and right here in Depictions Media Radio, I'm your host, Michael Clogs in Peru, Lima, Peru. To be exact, a farmer uh and mountain guide lost his landmark uh climate change lawsuit against a European uh power company sawless Lucio Luella, who lives in the central uh An Cash region in the heart of the Andes sued r w E, one of Europe's largest emitters of greenhouse gases, over the risk of flooding his home from a glacial lake swollen by climate change. Our our We has never operated in Peru or near mister Louaya's particular village. The argument was that the emissions itself contributed towards the melting of the glaciers and thus threatening his home and his city and his livelihood. But the court in ham in northwestern Germany ruled that the probability of the lake bursting its banks and devastating his home and homes of some other fifty thousand people in the area was too small for our WE to be held liable. It also barred him from appealing the verdict, and the ruling brings an into a decade long lawsuit, which supported by the environmental group German Watch, had sought some eighteen thousand dollars from RWE to pay for zero point five percent of the costs to build a dyke to protect the homes of the people in this area. The percentage was equal to the proportion of RWE's total historic carbon emissions, according to Greenwatch, and the company is now moving quickly to renewable energy and vowves to become carbon neutral by twenty forty. But the power plant has been running on coal for more than a century, and Greenwatch warned that the Lake Paco Kaaka has sold into more than thirty times its six door value volume and overflowed catastrophically in an event of an avalanche. Ultimately, the court ruled that the probability of that happened was just one percent over the next thirty years, below the threshold of the German law for RWE to be found liable. I found this story on NPR National Public Broadcasting in the United States, and it's just brings about the idea that what we do in one place is link somewhere else to our planet for another community. So we have to since we know this, we actually have to act in this global community manner in order to be sustainable as a business, as a community, and so that we all understand that we're all interconnected, that we have consequences outside of ourselves. So moving forward into what we're going to be hearing from today, we're going to be hearing from of course, UH doctors who return from Canada. They were working in Gaza and they're going to just they're discussing in front of the press center of out what they saw happening there. We're also going to since we're talking about water and climate change right off the beginning, our big thing today is actually going to be the United Nations Oceans Conference, and we're going to hear from some of the organizers of that conference and what it is they're looking to accomplish from from the conference itself this particular year, and what we're going to hear from is is exactly actually this. Representatives from France and Costa Rica are brief brief the press about the coming Ocean's Conference and the Ocean our Planet Life supports is in essence, this is what they're saying is our oceans are our planet's life support system. In and the evidence of overwhelming temperature rises, acidified waters, plastic choking marine life, desperate us, disappearing habitats, and relentless over exploitation of resources, he continued, the health of the ocean is declining, and with with it the well being of the human being that we actually depend on our oceans UH for supply lines. However, there is still time to change our course if we act collectively again leading back to what we were saying earlier, about what we do in one place has a consequence in another place, and if we all act together to fortify what it is that we're actually doing, so that we're not tearing down too many trees to build a new town home complex in Sorry BC, where I actually am and where I actually do, watch them tear down tall trees, carbon sinking trees, to be exact, because of their older growth. And I listened to and we have broadcasted some of some of our political figures, some to say, oh, don't worry about the carbon, it's plant food. And we hear others rushing trying to put forth government mandates that would fast track development without first looking at the environmental consequences of of building that new townhouse complex, or maybe it's a dam, or it could be anything that we need to actually check and make sure how it's going to affect, what it is that it's going to take away as a carbon sinks, and what it's going to produce in carbon emissions and balance everything out so that, hey, the survival of human beings pushes forward into the future, because let's face it, our lifetimes aren't extremely very long in comparison to the planet, and human beings have only been around in comparison to the billions of years that our planet has actually been in existence, We've only been on this planet for essentially a couple of seconds. What we want to do is make sure that we have a viable and sustainable habitat for human beings to move forward into the future. So a lot to ask for, but a lot of work to maintain. So while we push forward, and we're going to hear from today, we're going to hear from the Ocean's conference, of course, and we're going to hear from the doctors returning from Gaza to Canada and Ottawa and We're also going to hear from the you and stakeout about what is going on with Israel and the Middle East.
Speaker 2: Israel's ambassador to the U N Danny Dunham, will deliver a brief statement about last week's horrific terror attack in Washington, DC. He will also comment on the latest developments in the region, and we'll take your questions. If you do have a question, please remember to state your name and outlet.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Good morning. This week, two young people on the diplomatic staff at Iswel's embassy in Washington, DC, Yaron Lishinski and Sarah Lyne Milgram, were murdered on the street as they were living the Capital Jewish Museum. There were a couple Yaron was planning to propose this week in Judalem. They were gonne down in cold blood by a terrorist swimming Free Palestine. This was an act of antisemitic terrorism. However, the Gamin was the last link in a much longer chain, one that stretches from hate field protests, on social media lives and to the wholes of the United Nations. When you are officials like mister Tom Fletcher accused Israel of genocide when they irresponsibly claimed that quote and I quote it now. Fourteen thousand babies will die in the next forty eight hours. They are not engaging in advocacy. They are engaging in excitement. That claim was a lie. Mister Fletcher quietly retracted it, but the damage was already done. It is no coincidence that this statement was made just two days before your own and Sarah were murdered. We cannot ignore the war that reckless remarks play in fueling violence. Mister Fletcher and others like him must be held accountable. Meanwhile, Israel continues to act with restrength and responsibility, even in the face of lies. We are facilitating humanitarian aid in to gather through two mechanisms, the existing track crossings and a new system created in coordination with the US and international partners. Since May nineteenth, almost nine thousand tons of aid have entered Gaza, carrying food, medical supplies, and shelter equipment. In the past two weeks, four new air distribution centers were established inside Gaza, two of them are already open. Those centers distribute food packages to southend of families, despite Ramas establishing roadblocks and checkpoints to prevent civilians from reaching the AID. As we speak, there are more than four hundred tracks already on the Gather side of the fence waiting to be distributed, but the UN has failed to pick them up. We opened the crossings, we provided safe routes for those tracks, but the UN did not show up. So let me be clear. The UN must stop spreading panic and start moving AID. Put your ego aside, pick up the AID and do your job. Finally, at theciations for the release of the hostages continue. The facts remain is well accepted. The most recent deal Hamas rejected it. We will not stop defending our people. We will not abandon our hostages, who have been held for six hundred days now. We will not apologize for fighting back against the all.
Speaker 4: Thank you, ambassador, Ambassador Hi, thank you very much. Von Mariarty News. You're losing Israel's losing support amongst European allies. Your own former prime minister has accused Israel carrying out war crimes. There are hostage families protesting on the streets of Tel Aviv. Are you feeling the passion now to stop bombing the people of Gaza.
Speaker 3: Well, we are not bombing the people of Gaza. We are fighting a terrorist organization and as I said very clearly, we have two goals in this war. We haven't finished the job. We will not finish the war leaving behind fifty eight people there our families waiting for them. And we are committed to finish this war by making sure the orthoged are back and Hamas is out of the game.
Speaker 1: Television.
Speaker 5: My question is on West Bank. You said many times here that Israel is the state of democracy and the rule of law, and this is what exactly happened with our Chinese colleague in West Bank last weekend during the what many people called Jerusalem Day. His equipment has been damaged and he has been verbally discriminatedly abused. Can you explain a little bit what kind of rule of law is this, especially the law enforcement when they saw those kinds of things.
Speaker 6: They left.
Speaker 3: So I cannot relate to what you are showing me, but I would appreciate if you send me the information, and we were going to look into this incident. But we are a democracy and we are proud of it. Or tax journalists then, so the freedom for journalists in Israel, and we have seen it all over the years. If there were an incident. We will look into.
Speaker 1: That with the Associated press.
Speaker 7: Can you talk about what happened yesterday at the Gaza medisarian A site unsas forty seven were wounded, apparently by Israeli fire Gaza Health Ministry since forty eight wounded, one killed. What happened yesterday.
Speaker 3: So first that we make it clear we don't run those centers. We provide security for the surrounding area. As for yesterday, well, the first day, you know, there were a few riots. It took the American teams some time to take control of the situation. But I can say it out loud, we didn't shoot anyone over there. There were like reports about helicopterals shooting people and those kinds of things. It didn't happen, not even horny shot. No, not by us, not by us aw abosaor.
Speaker 8: Christian Saloni from Alchester and English UH. One of the speakers were expecting to hear from at the UH meeting today is an American surgeon who's been in Gaza and has written UH and spoken publicly about his experience. They are saying that he witnessed children deliberately targeted and shot, often in the head, during the ceasefire even how would you respond to the allegations that he's raised that Israeli soldiers have been taking the lives deliberately.
Speaker 9: Of children there.
Speaker 3: So I will listen to his worlds. You know, I think it's important to bring briefers from both sides. We have asked that it will be briefer that will speak about our suffering. Unfortunately it will not happen today. I hope it will be more balanced in the future of meetings. But I agree with you there is suffering in Gaza, but they blame it on the shoulders of Hamas, Hamas that started the war and Hamas that is not willing to lay down their weapons and release the hostages. So they will continue to be suffering until Hamas will understand that they will not stay in Gaza. Yes, please question. So at this stage we have both tracks, you know. I call it the old one with the tracks, and the UN should move faster and be more helpful on this issue. They complain a lot and should be more cooperative. And at the same time I would call it the US centers. But I think the part of me that some people look at it as a competition, and I think it shouldn't be the case. I think the UN should put the LEGO aside and cooperate with the new mechanism as.
Speaker 10: Well the.
Speaker 11: System.
Speaker 3: So I think it's responsible for inflaming the situation and I would elaborate on that. First he came to the Security Council and use the term genocide. That was irresponsible, that was not his well, no legal claim for that. Then he continued and blame us for killing fourteen thousand Palace babies, which was a lie. It didn't happen. And only two days ago he put out another provocation saying about ten thousand tracks waiting to enter Gaza. That's another provocation. You know, if you line up ten thousand tracks from the border with Gaza, it will actually be a line until the bottle with Lebanon from where it's bringing those numbers.
Speaker 12: It should be.
Speaker 3: More responsible when he puts out those statements. Thank you very much.
Speaker 7: Hello everyone, Thank you very much for being here today. I'm here. My name is Heathen Macpherson. I'm the Member of Parliament for Edmonton Strathconne and the Foreign Affairs critic for the New Democratic Party. I'm here to stand in solidarity with Canadian healthcare workers were here to testify about what they have witnessed in God during this genocide. I want to thank Doctors against Genocide for sharing their time with us today. This is the defining moral issue of our time. As you know, New Democrats have long called on the Canadian government to end its complicity in this genocide. The time for statements is over, long past time for action, strong political and moral choices that will put pressure on net Yahoo to end this. We demand an arms embargo, sanctions on Netanyahu and his cabinet, and the immediate recognition of the State of Palestine in order to move forward with a political solution that could save millions of lives and end this horror. Today, I'm proud to announce that I have reintroduced my motion to recognize the State of Palestine on the Order Paper, and I'm encouraging my colleagues in the Commons to cosponse this motion. No matter what party you are from, now is the time to raise your voice. Now is the time to put pressure on Prime Minister Mark Karney to do the right thing. Last week we called for the suspension of SIFTA. Europe and the UK are also considering suspending trade with Israel. Political pressure is the only thing that will end this. For nineteen months, we have watched this horror continue. Every day we see more images and videos of traumatized children and parents, of amputees, of tens of thousands of innocent people killed, forced starvations, bombings, entire families and communities wiped out. The healthcare workers you will hear from now are Canadian heroes who have put their bodies on the line to save the lives of Palestinians in Gaza. I urge you to listen to their voices today and to hear their pain and their appeal to the government as we all confront our collective failure to do everything possible to end this genocide. Thank you, Thank.
Speaker 13: You so much, Heather. Really appreciate your moral clarity and moral courage in this moment that requires all of us to show that same level of courage. Good morning everyone. My name is Mesa Hawash. I'm a healthcare professional, a workplace equity and inclusion expert, and one of the founding leaders of Doctors Against Genocide, a global coalition of healthcare workers and advocates who refuse to stay silent as the world witnesses a catastrophic assault on human life, dignity, and the very foundations of medical ethics. We are healthcare workers who took an oath to protect life, an oath that now compels us to speak truth power. I stand before you as a Palestinian Canadian who knows exactly what it means to live under brutal occupation, where occupying forces control your breath, your dreams, your very right to exist. What you see in Raza today is the logical end point of this decade's long machinery of dehumanization. Hospitals bombed not just to kill patients, but to erase healing itself. Schools destroyed not just to end lives, but to exterminate futures. The tens of thousands killed are only the visible casualties. The real crime lives on in the children who now see and associate sunlight with drones. Mothers so malnourished they birth generations of already starved babies. They're tiny, deformed bodies by famine weapons, their organs pre aged by trauma. And now we are witnessing starvation weaponized with surgical precision. Walking fifteen kilometers through danger zones, this is what it looks like to queue for a single food parcel, only to be detained or bombed at the so called distribution points. This is a Sikh theater where Israeli forces star Palestinians to perform their dehumanization for the world cameras to see, while deliberately blocking un regulated systems that could actually deliver food and feed people. Genocide is a global health emergency of the highest order. It is the catastrophic destruction of every aspect of human, animal, and environmental health. It must be confronted and we are all accountable. Canada's complicity through arms deals, diplomatic cover and the shameful promotion of weapons expose like cansac fuels, the machinery of genocide today. Today we present a prescription in the form of medical orders meant to heal and treat the devastating disease of genocide. We present this prescription to Prime Minister Mark Carney and the newly elected cabinets and MPs. Mister Carney, you have the power to shape policies that can reaffirm Canada's commitment to humanity and morality. You wrote a book about the values of solidarity, fairness and responsibility. You stood up against threats to Canada's sovereignty and the unfair tariffs. Now is the time to live up to your stated values and show us real action. The world is watching. Will you be remembered as the statesman who acted to stop genocide or the banker who calculated its cost and profit? And so A prescription for justice is very simple, and the siege and the liver aid. Enforce a permanencyas fire, stop arming, apartheid, a two ways arms embargo with no loopholes. Enforce the Genocide Convention, hold Canadian's accountable, Investigate and prosecute Canadians serving in IOF for war crimes. Enforce international law, Recognize the State of Palestine and cut ties with illegal settlements, and defend our freedoms of expression. The time for empty words is over. Canada must act now. Thank you. Now you'll hear from our Canadian doctors who have returned from Raza, and then we will open it up. Four questions and answers. Thank you so much.
Speaker 14: My name is Deirdre Nunan. I'm an orthopedic surgeon. I returned from Gaza on April to seventeenth, after spending seven weeks working there. It was my fifth time working in Gaza. Although I arrived during the ceasefire, I saw freshly wounded patients every day, injuries consistent with weaponized drones and powerful explosions. When the ceasefire was broken on March eighteenth, my first patient was a young man nineteen years old. His leg torn from his body at the level of his hip. It is one of the worst limb injuries I have seen in my entire career. But yet I saw two more patients with almost identical injuries in the four weeks that followed, and so many more injuries that were just as devastating. Healthcare workers in Gaza feel particularly vulnerable. More than fourteen thousand have been killed in the last year and a half. Two of my physician friends were killed in hospitals where they worked. Two more were abducted from hospitals and are still held in Israeli prisons. This spring, I treated a pharmacist who was in his pharmacy when it was bombed by Israeli forces. He must have been holding a pen when he was attacked. The ink had spattered all over his hand. I still don't know if he lived. I was in Gaza when Nasser Hospital Surgical department was attacked in March, and when Al Ahli Emergency room was attacked in May, it's sorry in April, and we looked at each other and we wondered would our hospital be next. But the staff kept coming to work because they had no other safe place to go, although they were terrified, and they told me this that they might be killed without their families, or their families might be killed without them. I was home already on May thirteenth when my hospital, the European Gaza Hospital, was attacked with numerous Israeli airstrikes, which put the hospital out of service, killed and injured around sixty people. That was a full functioning hospital with patients, families, visitors, doctors, medical students who came every day to study, residents who came to work, to treat patients and to continue to study and advance in their exams. As a surgeon, I cannot treat a genocide. As doctors, we cannot style with famine. So we demand that the Canadian government take meaningful action to enact as ceasefire, in force a complete two way arms embargo, prosecute attacks on healthcare, including investigating Canadians who have served in the international in the Israeli forces for potential involvement in those and other war crimes, to end the siege and deliver aid to Gaza, and to uphold the genocide Convention.
Speaker 10: My name's doctor Sarah Llone. I'm a Montreal based double certified emergency and family doctor. I worked at the European Gaza Hospital from late January until February twenty seventh of this year. I saw many things that go against our Canadian values. I saw a young boy, Yusuf, who loved in this picture here, who loved to play soccer and could sing beautifully, who loved his mother more than anyone else in the world. He was a small boy, even smaller than his age would have predicted. He was a pre He was a primary school age child who was shot by a sniper during the ceasefire and had a painful journey in our hospital. He was no fighter. On top of the trauma. On top of that, now he has to deal with starvation, and now he is at risk for dying from starvation. Every human being deserves medical aid in that situation. I have as someone who's been in settings where children have experienced severe malnutrition, and as someone who has seen children die from malnutrition. I have witnessed first hand the suffering of children who are starving, and its impact on children lasts for their whole life. If we think about Ottawa, if we think of all the children between zero and four here in Ottawa, the number of children who have severe malnutrition requiring earth urgent treatment in Gaza is much beyond that of all the children from zero to five requiring urgent treatment in Gaza. Every single one of us has loved a child at some point in our lives. I challenge you and everyone else here in Canada to see the children of Gaza in their children and those of your family and your friends. These children deserve the care, dignity and support that we have an obligation to provide. We cry. What we're seeing in Gaza does not fit with our Canadian values. And we cry because as healthcare professionals, because we are unable to stop this, despite the fact that we're from such a powerful country. Right now, as Canadians, we have a small window to act, and if we don't, it will be a blot on our history. We need to bring medications and food urgently into Gaza. We need to create a real arms embargo and we need to enforce the genocide Convention.
Speaker 15: Good morning everyone. My name is doctor Rizwan Minhas. I worked at the European Gaza Hospital last year. Last year, when we were entering Gaza through the Rapha border, my fellow Clenadian Jacob Flickinger, whose worker for World Center Aid Kitchen a few minutes to help us, was deliberately targeted with his early air strikes. Along with him, four other World Center Aid Kitchen people were killed a few miles away from us. I stand here today not for myself, but for the voices underneath the rubble, for the children bombed in their beds, for the doctors killed in their scrubs. There is no independent journalism allowed in Gaza at this point, but there are international doctors. We've been there. We are the eyewitnesses to this genocide. We are telling the truth and yes, Idea forces are a lying to you. Innocent people are being killed in mass numbers, from paramedics to doctors and even children. Gaza currently has the highest amount of child amputees per capita in the world. This never happens. It does not happen unless you deliberately target innocent civilians to those people like Douglas Murray who mockingly ask have you even been there? To them, I said, yes, Douglas, we have been there, not once, multiple times, not for her photo op or headlines, but to save lives. But as doctors, we can't end this genocide. When working in the hospital last year in the European Gaza Hospital, I saw so many kids with burn wounds, very painful. There one child by Nimasm I remember, five years old, third degree burn, wounds all the way to her bone. I thought I could cheer up with the candy and she's like any other child. Half the fun is to open that wrapper. But because of her contractors from a third degree burn once, she could not even open the rapper. Instead of putting smile on her face, she became frustrated. At that time I realized not only did Israel burn her hands, but they burned her smile. This is not a war, this is a genocide, confirmed by Amnesty International, Doctors without Borders, the Jewish Voice for Peace, and International Court of Justice. To my fellow Canadian physicians, don't be silent. Fifteen hundred healthcare workers had been killed. Remember the name doctor Donald Busch was not only killed was raped and tortured before he was killed. Doctoram Abustafia did not leave the hospital till the end. He's still as a hostage with the Israeli army. And recently doctor Najar, a pediatrician working in the hospital, nine out of her ten children were burned alive, each brought one by one in front of her. She could not even recognize them. To our politicians, police have the courage to say the words, Israel is committing a jide. These children, who have died at least deserved this justice. Impose the two arms embargo and let me end with this. There is no moral difference between killing children in chambers or by burning them alive in their sleep. Both are genocide. I understand that both are evil and both demand justice.
Speaker 11: Thank you.
Speaker 9: My name is Ipangje. I'm a family doctor, and I've studied how colonialism affects the health of indigenous peoples in the settler colonial state of Canada and also Palestinians and occupied Palestine. I was in Gaza last year as a medical volunteer in primary care clinics in Central Raphah, and I witness with my own eyes the impacts of force starvation on the children I care for. This is an entirely preventable famine imposed on the Palestinian people in Gaza by Israel and also its allies, who are withholding life saving food, water, and medical aid to an entire population under illegal occupation in blockade since two thousand and seven, which has also included the Israeli policy of limiting food to only meet the minimum amount of calories to avoid malnutrition, effectively putting the entire population of Gaza on a diet. This colonial practice of starvation is not new. Sir John A. MacDonald, Canada's first Prime Minister, used this tactic to ethnically cleanse and displace the indigenous population and hit in his own words, that they were kept on quote the verge of actual starvation unquote. Earlier this morning, I was at the protest against Kansek, which is Canada's quote premier global defense and security trade show unquote run by KATZI, the American Association of Defense and Security Industries, a defense industry lobby group whose board of directors include executives from companies that supply the Israeli military. One such company that is attending this conference this trade show is Gas Stops with their sole manufacturing facility located in Ottawa. They are the only manufacturer of specific engine sensors that go into the F thirty five fighter jets. These are the same fighter jets that are dropping two thousand pound bombs on Palestinians in Gaza as we speak. Companies in our own backyards are funding, supplying, and fueling this genocide. This is our problem to solve. This is our complicity that we must end. This is our responsibility to the collective liberation for Palestinians who deserve life, dignity and freedom from occupation, apartheid and genocide free Palestine.
Speaker 16: My name is Dorotea Guccardo.
Speaker 17: I run a Canadian military medical organization that sends in medical aid and personnel under the World Health Organization. We're here today to sound the alarm about the collapse of the humanitarian system and Canada's role in failing to uphold the international laws that it claims to defend. Just yesterday, we witnessed the brutal reality of the so called Gaza Humanitarian Foundation, which revealed itself not as a humanitarian effort, but as a militarized spectacle. Starving Palestinians were drawn into an active conflict zone with the promise of food only to be met with armed personnel, gunfire and chaos. This is not humanitarianism. This is using hunger, fear and humiliation to dehumanize a population. And the suffering is not accidental. As doctor Maget, a Palestinian er physician in Gaza told me and I quote in Gaza, starvation is not a byproduct of war. It is being used as a weapon. I have treated children reduced to skin and bones, dying not because of rare disease, but because they like act food, clean water and basic formula. Canada is legally obligated under the Geneva Conventions to ensure that aid is delivered impartially and that humanitarian access is protected. I urge our leaders, especially Prime Minister Mark Karney, to act in line with the message of his own book published in twenty twenty one, called Values, Building.
Speaker 16: A Better World for All. In it, he argues that we must place human dignity and shared moral commitments above markets, politics and power. If our values mean anything, they must mean something now in Gaza. We therefore call on the Government of Canada to reject the militarized aid model to restore full access to the UN and legitimate humanitarian organizations, to ensure aid is delivered safely, virtually and at scale, not through armed contractors. And to withhold Canadian funding from any entity that fails to meet these humanitarian principles. This is not only a test of Canadian policy, it is a test of our values. Thank you. I have been in Gaza. I am a PhD, not an MD.
Speaker 11: Thank you.
Speaker 18: Hello everyone, Hello, thank you for joining this briefing on the UN Ocean Conference which is coming up next month from the ninth to the thirteenth of June in Nice to accelerate action to conserve and sustainably use the ocean. It will be co hosted by France and Costa Rica, and we have with us today representatives of these co hosts, Ambassador ger Permit, representative of France, Ambassador Marita chan Permit, representative of Costa Rica to the UN, and of course we have the Conference Secretary General, mister Lee Tunha, the Undersecretary General of Economic and Social Affairs. With that right over to the speakers. Undersecretary General will start with you.
Speaker 6: Thank you, thank you Marida.
Speaker 12: Well, dear members of the press. It's so great to meet you again. In a small but cozy room. Let me just send me say it a few words as a very brief introduction for the Ocean Conference. As we all know, the ocean that our planet, the life support the system, is in a state of the emergency. The evidence is overwhelming, the rising temperature, as certifying waters, plastic choking marine life, disappearing habitats, and relentless over exploitation of the resources. The health of the ocean is declining and with it the well being of the human being who we actually depend on our ocean supply lines. However, there is still time to change our course if we act collectively and collectively. From the ninth to thirteenth June, the global community will gathered in Ease, France for the third UN Conference on the Ocean, or you know three. This will not be just another routine gathering. We hope that it is. It is proved to be the pivotal opportunity to accelerate the action and mobilize the old stakeholders across the sectors and the borders. The thing of the conference says that all accelerating action and mobilizing all actors to conserve and sustainably use the ocean Within this thing, the key priorities will be discussed in ten Ocean Action Panels. These panels cover the topics including ocean based economy, fisheries, pollutions, links with the climate, exchange and abile diversities of course, and also others. In addition to the panels and the pleinary sessions, several special events will spotlight specific challenges and opportunities. From the fourth to six June, France will conveyed the one Ocean Science Congress. Under seventh June, City of Nice and the Ocean Climate Platform will host the Ocean Rise and Coastal Resident Summit. Nearby Monaco will host the Blue Economy and the Finance Forum from the seventh to eighth June UNO three the well culminated in the adoption of the NIESE Ocean Action Plan, a concise, action oriented decoration along where the new and expanded voluntary commitments. This plan will be our collective broofprint to advance the SDG fourteen to conserve the and sustainably use the oceans, seas and the marine resources. Is This is our moment to transform ambition. The introduction uniting governments, scientists, businesses and the service society together in a shared commitment. While your role, dear colleagues, dear friends, your road is indispensable. We count on you to conveyed an urgency and the opportunity of the unusree to the world. Your reporting will be vital in disseminating the conference outcomes, raising public awareness, and ensuring that momentum generated in Needs extend and so far beyond its shores, compelling continued actions. The future of action, the future of the ocean is not the predetermined. It will be shaped by the decision and the action that we are making.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 12: Let us choose a health, resilient and the ocean for our generation and then also for the generations to come. Before I concluded, I just want to extend my deepest and sinceres to the gratitude to the conference co hosts, the Government of the France and the Government of the Costa Rica for their visionary leadership under step Faster partnership.
Speaker 18: Thank you, Thank you, mister Lee, Ambassador monaform.
Speaker 11: Mersi, thank you very much. Thank you to Under Secretary General. Thank you to Permanent Representative of Costrika Meritza for your decisive support to ensure that the Needs Conference is a success. It's a United Nations conference. That's how we are experiencing this in continuous following on from the Lisbon conference and before that the Breast conference. And I can assure you that preparations for this conference, as mister Jundhua pointed out, this conference is pulling in lots of local and regional and national actors. And over and above that, of course, we have our cooperation with Costa Rica as we co organize this event. I won't repeat what the USG said, but suffice it to say that this is an urgent matter, ecological urgency. We're seeing the degradation of the quality of the oceans as an environment, as a source of biodiversity, as in terms of its ability to be a carbon sink, etc. Et cetera. The oceans also need to remain represent a livelihood for about a third of humanity. And of course the oceans feed us through responsible fisseries. They feed the planet, and we can see that the ocean is being damaged by pollution. Think of plastics and how difficult it's been to conclude the Plastics convention. It's also being ruined by the effects of climate change. So the goal of the NICE conference for France is to produce a nice agreement that is pro oceans, as the Paris Agreement ten years ago now was for the climate. That's why what the USG said is so important with regard to the need for an action plan that is operational, where countries commit to undertake concrete action to protect the oceans. So the Under Secretary General said, there will be ten pleaneries and ten round tables that will be organized by the United Nations, and that we'll have a blue area for accredited delegations. And there will also be a whole host of parallel activities. A Scientific Congress, for example, that will bring together thousands of several thousand researchers. There will also be a summit of citizen regions and a forum for the Blue Economy. There'll be the Global Ocean Day, the Island's Forum, an African Regional Forum, a Mediterranean Forum, and a special day the ninth of June at seven pm, there will be a special moment for ratifying the BBNJ Treaty. And it's our ambition to ensure that this treaty, which showed us how urgent a matter this is a few weeks ago, enter inter force. We're expecting a high participation. Just in terms of headson of state and government. We already have more than fifty dignitaries, more than twenty five international organizations will be attending, and the majority countries will be represented at ministerial level or by heads of ministerial delegations. Let me end by giving you France's eight priorities for this summit. First of all, the entry into force as soon as possible of the bb NJ Treaty. It really is important that that treaty become international law throughout the world. Secondly, to make progress on a sustainable Fisheri's agreement. You know as I do, that this agreement is complex and it requires us all to become involved. Thirdly, we want to agree that in twenty thirty thirty percent of the oceans will be in subject to protected areas. For an agreement and plan of action on the principle of decarbonization of transport maritime transport. For make progress on this plastics agreement that I refer to just now. Then the issue of funding the blue economy, which presupposes mobilizing international public and private financing, national and international. Seven, the issue of local action, because the number of cities and regions around the ocean means that their participation will be decisive and finally, scientific cooperation because there's still a lot we don't know about the oceans and therefore it's very important that we study that for biodiversity and climate change. So that's how France is actively preparing to host this so it and I'd like to once again thank Co Chair Costa Rica for your commitment. And above all, i'd like to thank the us G as the president of the conference and all UN services for the support that you have been providing to ensure that this conference is a success.
Speaker 18: Thank you, Thank you, ambassador. Now over to Ambassador Chhan, thank.
Speaker 19: You very much after all of you for being here, and to my colleague Ambassador Frant's remarks, I want to share our perspective as co hosts of the third United Nations Ocean Conference in June. Our response must be groundbreaking. We have heard from USG LEE the need to accelerate action and mobilize actors to conserve and sustainably use the ocean Ascelirating action means cutting decision making time from years to months, mobilizing all actors, engaging one hundred and ninety five governments, more than a thousand cities, more than five hundred corporations, and billions of citizens simultaneously. This is an opportunity for the United Nations to be together and to show that we can deliver as one. We're expecting concrete commitments with clear timelines, budgets and accountability mechanisms. This is what is different this time around, zero rhetoric, maximum results. As you have heard, will hold three concrete solutions. Before the June conference we'll host, will have the one Ocean Science Congress from June third to six, the Ocean Rise and Coastal Resilient Coalition Summit, a key event focused on sea level rise. This event will be held on June seventh, and the Blue Economy Finance Forum from June seventh to eighth. And let me conclude my remarks with a call to action. Please mark your calendars. It's June ninth to thirteenth in ease France. We expect fifteen hundred delegates, one hundred ninety five countries, five hundred binding commitments, one hundred billion dollars in new funding. The third United Nations Ocean Conference will either reverse ocean decline by twenty thirty or documents humanity's failure to act five days, One Ocean a unique opportunity. Thank you very much.
Speaker 18: Thank you. Speakers will now take some questions.
Speaker 20: Thank you very much. On behalf of the United Nations correspondence as association for doing this briefing. My name is Edith Letterer from the Associated Press. First, mister ambassador. Unfortunately there was no translation of your remarks to English.
Speaker 18: Yes that there. We did provide a simultaneous interpretation.
Speaker 20: Okay, but maybe in response to that, you might like to give us a short synopsis in English of of of of what you said. But to all of you, you've talked about accelerated action, groundbreaking moves. Can you give us some specific examples of what you're actually expecting as outcomes from this conference that might make headlines around the world. Since the oceans basically encompass the entire world and you said that, are you expecting or do you already have pledges of one hundred billion dollars in new funding? Thank you?
Speaker 18: Who wants to take that one?
Speaker 19: Maybe let me take that one in the three summits that will precede the conference. For instance, in the One Ocean Science Congress, we're expanding more than two thousand marine scientists and they will present breakthrough technologies and issue emergency protocols for immediate implementation. The one on sea level rise, five hundred plus mayors from vulnerable coastal cities will present survival strategies for six hundred and thirty million people at risk. Sea level rise is an issue that already had a high level event last year and Costa Rica co facilitated that process with New Zealand. So it means that sea level rises already in the agenda of the United Nations and the Blue Economy Finance Forum will have world Streep executives commit to fifty billion dollars in sustainable ocean investments and creating ten million blue economy jobs by twenty thirty. So there are concrete outcomes of the conference. And I have to acknowledge that every actor, every person that we have knocked on their door, has responded. Because if there's something that united is the ocean.
Speaker 18: Thank you.
Speaker 6: As you know, when there are interpreters, I usually don't speak in English. However, because of your your being the president of the Association, I will make a special gesture and I will just tell you because what I said is almost the same as what my colleagues just said. Let me just tell you in brief the eight priorities that France has set for this conference. Number one, obtain sixty ratification of BBNG threat so that it enters into force. If we don't obtain it in a nice at least that we obtain it in the very short future. Number two sustainable fishery. You know that agreement is being looked for that since a long time. Number three mobilize with the objective of thirty percent of the oceans being protected areas by twenty thirty. Number four accelerate the carbonation of maritime transportation. Number five fight against plastic pollution since we have, as you know, a treaty which is under negotiation and runs it to some difficulties. Number six and number said chain was talking about it, mobilizing financing for blue economy. Number seven deploy local action in particular for the safeguard of oceans and fight against climate change. And number eight strengthening scientific cooperation for the knowledge of the oceans.
Speaker 18: Thank you.
Speaker 6: Was it good enough English for you?
Speaker 18: We'll take another question here, yes, thank you.
Speaker 21: Ambassadors in usg is Panmela far from US News and World Report. Having covered many of these conferences, I'm curious about the commitments and point number two in the literature is to boost mobilize finances. How do you see you said one hundred billion? Are those commitments made already? And then to Ambassador Bonifont, thank you for your second summary. But you mentioned when you were speaking first both the BBNJ and the Plastics Treaty. Have you seen any results from the BBNJ. It was only past last twenty three and it hasn't gotten all the ratifications because from most of the assessments, plastics pollution is rising, may even double or triple by in the next thirty years. So what needs to be done, especially on BBNJ to actually have it worst?
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 18: On the financing.
Speaker 1: Mmmmm.
Speaker 19: I think that we we are getting already so so announcements and they will be made in the conference. I cannot speak for those who will make headlines, but we expect a lot of resources coming out of the conference, and that we've affirmed our commitment to the ocean. So we're expecting that announcements from many actors even ward street.
Speaker 9: H.
Speaker 1: The show has been produced by Depictions Media. Please contact us at depictions, dot media for more information,