Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty powered by Nova Insurance Services insure your most prized possess yets.
Speaker 2: Good afternoon, everybody.
Speaker 3: Welcome to I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifteen. I'm Steve Rivera and today with me is Troy Hutchison. Goazycats dot com. Welcome to Thursday. Show should be a fun different show. We have Judi McDermott from the First Tea Organization here coming in about three seventeen, and then at four seventeen we have Hod Rabino from The Devil's Digest. We holds up a pretty frequent guest, especially when Arizona faces Arizona State from time to time. Right, so that game Saturday, eleven o'clock, we're already complaining. You know, I bitch about the you A fans being how they are you know, Oh no, yeah, you know everything, and some yeah, well I know more. I guess I'd bitch about a lot of things too, and I don't, I really don't. And you know, but now I either have to get up really early. We all have to get up. Get everybody. I'm not a little but we get there an hour before yet and then UH and then come back, which is fine, no problem, it's going to see a good game. Uh. Well, let's let's not I'm not gonna do any breaking news, so let's do some breaking news. Now. What happened with basketball recruiting here?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, Elijah Arenas UH decided to reclassify at Arizona Louisville USC. I think uh US is on that list. I want to say, like Arkansas, you know, some other team. Arizona was the favorite to land them because but because of Gilbert Arenas having the ties.
Speaker 3: But that's the only there's the only remain reasons.
Speaker 4: And he did take some visits to Tucson and that relationship seemed pretty good with UH Gilbert and coach Tommy Lloyd from where it was previously when Tommy Lloyd got hired. But at the end of the day, you have to look at Nil and the fact that Arenas as a family, they are a Adidas family. Arizona's a Nike school, so you have that factored in. So that's why Louisville was maybe the slight favorite against Arizona, but now it's USC.
Speaker 3: He's headed to USC and at the end of the day.
Speaker 4: It's an I l I'm sure there's a nice nil package for mister Arenas waiting in southern California.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I didn't break my heart. I was neither here nor there for me covering the team. He would have been kind of crazy with Gilbert here a lot. But you know, let's just be saying that too bad. And I know a lot of people are disappointed.
Speaker 4: I mean, very talented player, but I don't think this is the you can't miss guy. The can't miss guy is Colled Pete. Still, no matter the recification really for Tommy and this recruiting because number one player in the state of Arizona, top ten player in the country. You know, I think Arenas when they reclassified, he was in the top ten as well. But you're talking about a six ' nine, six y ten power forward that can dribble the ball up, has some passing ability, and in this day and age of basketball, where you can go position with and play him, you know, let's say three through five, play them at different positions. That's a real asset to have on any team. And he was here what two three weeks ago, three.
Speaker 3: Weeks ago playing He's on high Okay and did fairly well. I guess you get in foul trouble had around twenty two points. He looks a little body wise to walk Townsend in between maybe uh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think a little bit more I don't want to say skill, but a little bit more balanced.
Speaker 3: I'm talking about physical. Yeah, just the way he looks. Yeah, yeah, probably much better than those two. Yeah.
Speaker 4: You know an another one that he kind of reminds me of is maybe a little bit of a Brandon Nashley the degree in terms of the body.
Speaker 3: Okay, so the length less less uh less bulky I saw him on tape. To me, it's just kind of strong being.
Speaker 4: He's strong, but I don't I think there's room to grow there in terms of the strength.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, well, so we'll keep an eye on that one. And then and you guys can lament that Arenas Arenas kild didn't come here.
Speaker 4: How much do you think Arizona fans are panicing if Arena's not going?
Speaker 3: I don't so I don't give a crap about and I don't give a crap, which means zero to one percent of who we're recruiting, because you know, I've seen stars come here and don't turn into stars. I've seen TJ. Mccotto come in, who was in the Star become the best player in the last ten years or whatever decade, ten or plus plastic. So to me, recruiting means nothing. How much are they those who followed, Probably you are because they're a bunch of sorry to say, Detroit, a bunch of geeks like you guys. And I say that because that's what you do, that's what you do. You would have a better gauge of that than me. But to me and that friend of mine, one of our callers texting me, you know, sad saying sad, disappointed or whatever, and I'm thinking, there's there's always another bus, there's always another woman coming around the corner, you know.
Speaker 4: Okay, good, good for now. I think he will be talented. But I remember back in the day when Mike baby son decided to go somewhere else and everybody started panting it.
Speaker 3: He was not good. He wasn't he wasn't great, he wasn't good at all. Yeah, we know this kid is, yes, he is very but I think this and we already we're already going to see the lebron kid come here Bryce. Yeah, right, So he was taken for one of these reasons, right, because he's close with Arenas is close, Yeah, very close.
Speaker 4: And he's closer with a bunch of other recruits that you know will be in twenty five, twenty six and so on and so.
Speaker 3: Forth, so they might help for down the road, right, Yeah, I thought that was some of the purpose of him committee. I mean, it's to me, it's mostly the purpose.
Speaker 4: I mean, you look at Bryce James, and he's a high three star recruit. I don't think he starts on his high school team still was averaging five six points a game. He's he's not a guy that you're gonna plug in and he's gonna play right away.
Speaker 3: He's going to be here for a while. Yeah yeah, and and for a while, and it may not go beyond this place.
Speaker 4: No, And honestly, in my opinion right now, does not have the talent for the NBA level, but has his eye, so maybe he grows into that. But it's going to be a project. Yeah, yeah, we'll see. I mean, and that's not a bad thing. It's just it is what it is. It is what it is, and it may be the process that Brownie could have used when he was at USC in terms of a process, but he was a much higher level recruit, a little bit more talent. And you know how the buzz going on that.
Speaker 3: Well, there's no boar buzz. No, there's no bore buzzer. I think he got some playing time recently and it wasn't very good. Yeah, I think.
Speaker 4: I think he had fifteen minutes and went like two for twelve too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and just didn't have that Jenniser Couah on the court. No. I mean he's young. He should still be in college, to be honest, and he was barely in college when he played. I mean he barely played when he was in college. Yeah, so we'll see. That's why I don't like recruit and I don't really you know, Okay, good players blah blah. So we'll see. If you're a fan, if you're a recruit follower, give me a call. Five two oh four one six seventy four forty. Let let us know how you feel about that. Vic. I know you're out there. You could contrary. You can be my contrary and tell me I'm full of it because you've seen it. How are they? How are the fans?
Speaker 4: You know, fans get frustrated when they don't see the stars right there, the number of four or five stars whatever. You looked at Jeed Fish's recruiting class where this is a football comparison, where they got the Tetro macmillan. Everybody's so excited, But the rest of that class was so darn good. They had so many guys that were low three stars, high two stars. Like was a high three star. Nobody wanted him because he was five foot whatever. Yeah, but you watch the taping, like, I don't believe in that stuff either. I don't believe in the stuff. And Josh Passoner Bliss's heart, who I think the world of was that guy. He chased great players, very five star for his stars didn't help him. Didn't help him because well, you got to.
Speaker 3: Coach the kids.
Speaker 4: You need a mix. You needed the proper mix of how it fits into yours staff.
Speaker 3: And that's why Luke did what he did so well. You know, he got a couple of guys the Richard Jefferson's and babies and found people around him that could get better from them, you know, and might be made everybody better. Richard just played because he was talented, uh, and helped, you know, he had Luke and he had arch A Riot and he had lour Woods and those guys. So it was a it that's it.
Speaker 4: Well, and going back to his last team that had a deep run in terms of that five to oh four team of honor, Danovitch probably wasn't that high.
Speaker 3: Of a No. No, he came out, he came out of nowhere Europe. Yeah, and it looked out well, that panned out. Yeah. I think what was his name was a Daniel Dylon. Yeah, in Australia. I think he was somewhat high recruit and that didn't pan out. No, he was from Australia, went to Kentucky. He was okay, yeah, are you serviceable? Yeah?
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: And you have some guys that panned out, some guys that didn't Chris Rogers, Yeah, they didn't pan out.
Speaker 3: No, and more and more ways than one because he was more of a pain in it. He was a basketball player, so kicked. It's a balance, yeah, no, no, no, are these star stuff, don't you know? Don't I don't care about that. You know, when you buy a nice sports car, I hope one day actually you figure out it's not worth it because you have to pay a lot of insurance well, you gotta you gotta make sure that nobody touches it or scratches it. You got to worry about a lot of crap that you wouldn't have to in a of their car. Yeah, and then the maintenance and the maintenance. Just get a nice car that's gonna get you to the dance. And then you find a nice car at the dance. That's when you get rental cards. Yes, and those two have their issues. Those two have their issues. Okay, So again we're gonna have Julia McDermott at the three seventeen hour and then hold Rubino at the four to seventeen hour. I talk a little about golf today. They had a big Color Guard color Guard Classic album press converace today this morning. And then then obviously the game on Friday up in Tempeh, the not the trap game, but the in between game for a big game game on Saturday. Yeah, yeah, the game on Saturday. We'll see what happens. I mean, I would not be surprised, not in the least be surprised. If I was on a tank team. I'd be surprised if they lost this game.
Speaker 4: I want to be surprised if it's close yeah, yeah, okay, I think that's taking it for them in their situation.
Speaker 3: And taking it I mean by losing now you know, you know because the issue at home after a big win emotions, yeah, yea yeah.
Speaker 4: But you know this, AAU team does have talent. I mean they brought in one of the higher recruiting classes in the country. But you entered Big twelve playing they're what two and seven?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Well, like I said, I don't know, maybe seven years ago, Arizona has gone and gone into Tempe with very good teams and come out loser. And I wrote that one day. Subcup fans was, what the hell are you talking about? I said, good teams go up there and get beat. Yeah, it happens all the time. It's just because if you're not emotionally ready, you're gonna get beat.
Speaker 4: Same thing for Arizona fans. That didn't happen during the little Cinnaria. You didn't You didn't yet what four?
Speaker 3: Very rare, rare? Five? I mean you go up there and lose all time I'm talking is all time record against Oh yeah, yeah, it was very very rare up there over the twenty five years where Shawn, it happened quite I think he went five and five or six and six. It was very, very weird, strange that it would happen. Now, Tommy, I think he has a winning record. But let's see how how it depends. Now, Well, if you remember, Arizona had a big, big lead entire I think was it Tommy's or was it Sean's twenty two point leads? And they barely won or they just.
Speaker 4: Recently right, they won, They won the game, but they were up at like twenty two twenty five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then they gave up big lead. And guess what the if there's a if there's a a flaw in his game and coaching is giving up those big leads or whatever they're or however they're happening. They're happening, and have happened, have happened.
Speaker 4: And one of the main issues at the start of the season, it's been one of those bunts.
Speaker 3: Do you listen watch Evan Maaya, Evan Micaw you watch him his website. Don't even know what I'm talking about, No, I don't. Oh, he's one of the great ones. And he's a basketball analyst, kid, a kid like you, smart dude, smartly not like you or me. He's just a smart computer guy. And he talks about you see where he is no where top ten teams. Arizona's not in there, Houston's number one. Houston comes here number one weeks, number one in the country, and his rankings, his rankings, Yeah, okay, yeah, and I have to want to see because he's he said in a story today that the n C double A or whomever's doing the choosing and choosing of the the teams needs to do it with the quad one, quad two three. He has a better system of trying to figure out good wins, okay wins. And you know at the time of the you know, computer wise, whether quad one and that's what they go by. Yeah, they go by quad one quad.
Speaker 4: I mean I'm I'm very much old school, which is, you know, RPI and strength to schedule. The quads fall into that. You know, they factor that in. I think at the end of the day, you're gonna have mistakes. You're gonna have when you're having people come up with a bracket and have their selections. You're gonna have things that you don't like. Seeds that are that should have been higher are going to be lower, and guys that should have been lower A going to be higher, and you know, you see it all the time. He's sent a couple of years ago. Uh, Tommy Lloyd's for the season, they're a four seed. That is one of the most That is the toughest four or five seed that you could get at. That should have been one, Sue Houston.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but yeah, yeah, yeah, but Arizona was definitely well, there were one, right.
Speaker 4: There were one, and they deserve to be a one. I'm just saying Houston was lower than what they should have and I think Kansas felling in the second round that year.
Speaker 3: I want to see where Arizona is in this overall eighteen He's ranking ranking eighteen sounds about right right right behind Kentucky and right ahead of Texas A and m uh, there's Houston, Duke, Auburn, Iowa State, well, Florida. Hey, there was a lot to like about Iowa State. Yeah, yeah, And there was a home tough.
Speaker 4: With them, and they're missing a player, and I don't think a lot of people realize that.
Speaker 3: Oh no, you know, one of the first things that Tommy did said that, and we understand that they were without a player. One of the best shooters didn't shoot well yeah, yeah, yeaha Arizona had something to do with that, but not the player. So we'll see what happens when the good names.
Speaker 4: It's going to be a different, different environment there, Yeah, no question, that's that's going to be a madhouse.
Speaker 3: Are you you're going to be the lead writer for Go Easy on Saturday? Because you haven't gone to home games much?
Speaker 4: No, I have been under the weather, but I've still been riding at home and this was my first time being able to go to back to back to Big twelve games after getting pneumonia, but fully back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, stay, stay with her. Yeah yeah, no, hugs for you. Okay, whole time. We gotta go, We gotta go, let's go. We're gonna talk to Judy McDermott on the other side.
Speaker 6: Thanks Now your chance to win one thousand dominants. Don't just enter this nationwide keyword on our website.
Speaker 3: Bonus, that's bonus entering.
Speaker 6: Fox Sports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 7: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious discover all this and more. Discover with Soul Casino Del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 3: Are you ready enterprise so Fasco Yuki try?
Speaker 8: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Frowsy aisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for Monday to Go designs or creating a custom masterpiece.
Speaker 5: We can help you.
Speaker 8: Select the perfect wood type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 3: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three. Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 5: Arizona Health Arizona Health, Arizona Health.
Speaker 9: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose.
Speaker 3: The equipment you need to reach your.
Speaker 9: Goals, your health and fitness to serve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty seconds just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 10: Let's start twenty twenty five off with a bang by honoring those who did a bang up job for you in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: Recognize your employees.
Speaker 10: Salespeople, managers and agents with a Creative Award from Creative Awards.
Speaker 3: It's time to restock your.
Speaker 10: Promotional products and convention giveaway items, and Creative Awards has over five h undred thousand products to choose from. Don't forget your corporate apparel for a great sharp look in twenty twenty five. Visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Drackman, or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 11: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, That's volpe team dot com or called five two oh six eight five six two six today n MLS three oh eight seven, arizon A b K nine two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity, Got to commitment to Lindrixson credit rates and available loan programs or subject to change the nut notice.
Speaker 3: Did you know?
Speaker 12: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination.
Speaker 3: As one of the.
Speaker 12: Leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and trading cards games, from rare fines to the latest releases. Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trush Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 10: Richard Bacall Law Office, defending Arizonans for over thirty years and a wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard Bacall five two oh seven to four to Zho twelve thirteen, broud sponsor of I on the Ball.
Speaker 13: Go cats, got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 2: Baseball fans, it's time to experience the thrill of the game like never before. The World Baseball Classic Qualifiers coming to Tucson, Arizona, and you don't want to miss this incredible event.
Speaker 3: For four action.
Speaker 2: Pack days, the world's best teams will compete for their spot in the Global Championship. The games are set for March second, third, fourth, and sixth. Each day features two games at eleven am and six pm, with the finale on March sixth at six pm.
Speaker 3: Join us at Keno.
Speaker 2: Veterans Memorial Baseball Stadium, located at the Kenosports Complex in Tucson. It's the perfect venue to watch a league baseball talent from around the globe feel the excitement is powerhouse team from Germany, Brazil, China, and Columbia take the field. Whether you're a lifelong fan or just looking for an unforgettable day out, the World Baseball Classic Qualifier is an event for everyone in Southern Arizona. Bring your friends, your family, and your love for the game to Tucson this March. Tickets are selling fast, so don't wait. Visit World Baseball Classic dot com or SASTFA dot com. That's SASFA dot com. To secure your seats today. This message is brought to you by the Southern Arizona sports, tourism and film authority.
Speaker 8: The Window Devot, to help bring your dream kitchen to life. As a family owned and operated business, we pride ourselves on offering the best prices, the biggest inventory, and exceptional customer service you won't find.
Speaker 3: At the big box stores.
Speaker 8: From premium cabinets to stunning courts and granite countertops, faucets, hardware and sinks, our designers are here to guide homeowners every step of the way, all under one roof. Find a location near you. Our shop online at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a Windows store.
Speaker 6: This is I on the Ball on Fox Sports fourteen fifding want to take part in the show called up Steam now at five two oh four, one, six, seventy four forty.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to My on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Barbera, He's Troy Hutchinson. Now on the phone, we have Judy McDermott, the executive director of the first te program. Judy, how are you, Judy? Can you hear me?
Speaker 5: Can you hear me?
Speaker 3: Yes? I can hear you. Thank you very much. Hey, how did you Dago? How did you daygo? Pretty casual?
Speaker 5: I'm sure, yes it was. It was very nice see Classic media day to see you today, Steve.
Speaker 3: Yes, but but yeah, and that's why I'm asking because you get to see me right, No, but I'm as well. But I'm asking it actually because you were a long time executive director with the two soun Compute stores having to handle the Cold Guard Classic. Now it's somebody else's deal and you kind of are the benefactor or a benefactor of the event.
Speaker 5: Correct. Yeah, it's nice to be there as a participant recipient, not running the show today, right, right.
Speaker 3: Right, You were part of the initial agreement. It's been eight years, right, this is year number eight.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, so I was on board when we signed col of Guard to the title sponsorship. So it's great that they're still with us andtributing to the comput community. I mean, they've been great partners.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's why wanted to go with it eight years later. What you guys created or started is still going on and very important to the community because they raise so much money.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, and it's just so important. I mean, just you know, creating the awareness for colon cancer because it's so curable. So you know, obviously Colon Guards here and they have a product that they you know, they encourage everybody to get screened, no matter how they do it. And it's all the survivors that come to the tournament and you know, it's absolutely amazing and so many people are affected. You know, as you saw in the video today. You know, Kenangaway is haang Away. His dad passed away from colon cancer. And you know, maybe if you'd have known more about you know, getting screened, that wouldn't have happened.
Speaker 4: So sure, you know, like you said, it's very important with the colon cancer research and the awareness there that you guys are able to bring forth. Going back to the impact that it's had not only on the community, h I don't know if you guys have seen numbers in terms of people getting screened for colon cancer. But do you guys know those type of numbers, the impact that you've seen from.
Speaker 5: I don't know them because I'm not, as you know, affiliated with the tournament anymore. You know, Cola Guard obviously has all those numbers, and I'm sure they're all available, but I know the increases. You know, it's happened. I mean even our first tea kids have gone home after the Cola Guard Classic and being in their booths and things and gone home and told their parents about oh yeah great, and their grandparents. It's actually a pretty cool, interesting story. Yeah, when you talk about the impact, even the kids learning about what it is and how you can be screened. And obviously Jerry Kelly is the ambassador for the tournament, is so great and you know he's so passionate about it, so you know it's important stuff.
Speaker 3: You've been around the town for a long time like me and let me. I had Eric Rhodes on here, I don't know, a week or so ago, ten days ago maybe, and we talked about the impact. Do you like the Arizona Bowl, the Eltorta, Tucson, the some of the bigger sporting events that are here now. The road Runners kind of too, and there's some other ones. Of course I'm gonna miss some that I shouldn't. But how they're not they don't compete with each other. They're kind of in unison, in lockstep in terms of binging stuff or not bringing but to keep the spouse world alive, well.
Speaker 5: I think Tucson just you know, has the community you know, wants to support everything and they don't want to lose anything. I mean, because you know, that's what we talk about. Obviously, Phoenix is the big city and you know, and they're a massive city when you talk about just you know, across the United States, so you know, we shouldn't be competing with them. So I think Tucson everybody bands together with all the events because we want to support all the events and be a part of it because it's so important for our community, you know, to not have to go to Phoenix for everything is a treat and just and just you know the benefits obviously.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And and then you have the group that you led for a number of years, the Gooky Stores, who kind of like you know again lock arms and go at it a pretty full force.
Speaker 5: Oh they work hard, and they're all volunteers, and they all have businesses on their own, and you know, they really put their heart and soul into selling the golf tournament, you know, putting the tournament on. You know, there's a lot of different ways to make a lot of money for charity, to get money away, but it's so important to keep professional golf here in Tucson, you know, in professional sports in general, and it's neat because with the Coli Guard Classic, you know, there's a pro am where somebody can actually go out and play golf with the prow and pro am and get a great gift pack and have some parties and enjoy and you know, the supporter is all there and La Polo has been a wonderful partner for the tournament. Sure, and so it'll be the second year the players are playing the La Poloma course and it's a mixture of the three nines, is the way they've developed the tournament eighteen, you know, which is pretty cool. So you see a different course layout than you would if you just normally went there and played golf.
Speaker 3: Right, I don't know.
Speaker 5: As a resort guest.
Speaker 3: I'm going to have Aaron Kelly on tomorrow. He's the tournament chair, so he'll talk more about this. But let me let me ask you, and maybe my observation is wrong or just incorrect. Artist has been around so much and they're kind of they're they're very visible with them with the hats and with the screenings and all that that they that sponsorship of all the sponsorships that I've seen over the years. That one's like full force. I mean, how could you not know that they're associated with this event? Does that make sense where their name is no?
Speaker 5: Totally? Well, and the fact that they bring all the survivors in as well, you know, they're all there wearing the blue and everybody bringing in and you know, Katie Kirk's been here the last two years to help support because her first husband died of colon cancer, so she's a spokesperson and so yeah, the visibility is there, and you know, and they love to bring in the survivors. You know, they're just not writing the chaps to have the TV coverage or the tournament. They actually get involved in the day to day you know events a tournament week, which is really.
Speaker 4: Neat in terms of you know, First Tea and your work there. Can you give us some detail about that and that organization and how you guys are able to help out the youth here in Tucson.
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 5: First T is actually a national organization and First T Tucson is a chapter of First T. There's about one hundred and fifty chapters across the nation and there's like four or five international chapters as well. But first he is based out of Jacksonville, Florida. You know where the PGA tour headquarters are. There's the World Golf Foundation that started it with the LPGA and USGA and the Masters and the PGA of America. So they're all lockstep with working you know. Obviously, first he started is to really reach at risk youths. And what we talk about now is, you know, we're we're here for all kids, but the nature of what we do and the affordability of what we do, we obviously attract more at risk youth and underserved youth, you know. And like I tell people, we do have some kids that are part of First Tea and take part in our tournaments and do some things with our junior golf leadership programs that might be a member of a country club, but that's you know, very rare. What I love about what we do is, you know, we go to schools and we have a fifteen passenger vand and we pick up kids and we bring them to the golf course that would never ever have the opportunity to put their hands on a golf club and be you know, on the golf course on the green grass, you know, and that's what's really fun is picking up kids at school and bringing them here. That's one of the most fun things we do. You know, we do so many things, from running competitive tournaments for kids to everything else, but you know, just getting kids at school and bringing them here that have never played golf before, it all is really fun.
Speaker 3: It's kind of like the modern day boys and Girls club, right because you know they go to totally.
Speaker 5: That's that's I tell people a lot. Steve is you know it's a boys and golf club at a golf course.
Speaker 3: Cool. Let me ask you, do you still search out or hope to get to volunteers And I have a story, That's why I ask absolutely.
Speaker 5: So we always need coaches to help our kids. Basically we do everything in group lessons, so more more coaches we have. It's a six to one ratio, so we have one adult to six kids, and so if we just had one more coach, we can basically have six more kids participate because unfortunately, we do turn kids away from a lot of our classes because we feel capacity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's very easy. Let me tell you. If you remember a few years back when when the paper closed and I was kind of trying to find my way. After the MDA left, I had nothing to do, so I said I could be volunteary. You said, sure, go go for let's do it. So it very got cleared, very easily. You know, you do your paperwork and YadA YadA. And I think my second golf he says, Yeah, it doesn't matter, it doesn't matter. They'll be fine. You know, they're just learning and it's pretty easy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're looking for mentors for these kids. And you don't have to be a great golfer to be a part of her tea. Thankfully we have that. We have that later for the kids who want to move through the program.
Speaker 3: Right right now, as you're very opening and all that stuff. They said today and I did the story for BIZ Tucson regarding the tournament. They raised more than seven hundred thousand, and you know your years have been a lot like that, right at least five hundred thousand through the years and seven hundred and maybe even more. And how important that money is locally?
Speaker 5: Oh, it's so important. Because what's so great about what the Conquy stores do giving away money is you know a lot of other organizations don't give to sports and sports is so important for kids, no matter what the sport is. I mean, you've learned live skills from you know, any sport you play. And it's really neat that the conquistators are there, especially on an emergency basis for kids that might qualify to travel and go somewhere.
Speaker 3: And make it the honey for that.
Speaker 5: But you know, but you know, and unfortunately with the vandalism in this town too, and obviously it's everywhere, but you know, the kids that they might have a snack bar that got broken into and then they'll help them buy the equipment to you know, put the snack bar all back together and stuff and really run the gamut from you know, building gyms to just a little bit of money to buy a kid a baseball glove.
Speaker 3: Sure no, And it's into the millions now because of all the years they've helped.
Speaker 5: Oh absolutely, Yeah, it's crazy that it's it's pretty impressive and like say it, you know, nowadays it's just so tough to get donated from a lot of corporations and things. You have to go through these online portals of things and still all this stuff out and upload it, and the Concustos really make it easy for these organizations that are you know a lot of them are truly run by volunteers and parents and guardians and things, so they make it easy to give kids money so they can play sports.
Speaker 4: So if somebody wants to donate, if somebody's listening, now, what is there a certain website that they go to? Is it through their concu stores or how do they help in terms of that donation process?
Speaker 3: Through through young for first.
Speaker 5: For the first T two soon we're all spelled out. First T twoson dot org is our website, and we have a donate button there that helps our kids immensely, as you can imagine because we keep the costs low. And then with the Conquy statores. Even on the Colo Guard Classic dot com, you know, they have a donate button there where you can donate. But even if you just buy a tournament ticket to the Colo Guard Classic, that's I always tell people. With the golf tournament, yeah, somebody might have some extra tickets and give you a free ticket, but you know, if you buy a ticket to the col of Guard Classic, you're going to help everybody in the community, which is so important.
Speaker 3: Along those lines, I just lost my thought, you know, how it gets it is to get old, especially for me, especially for me in terms of oh, I know what it was. We're two sons a big small city, right, you know, a million and a half a million whatever, But it's a small you know, community and the community that's giving you. Do you find it even at your place now? And maybe in the past, I guess she didn't really have to deal with the nil But now, like everyone now, everyone including U of A, who was asking for money for the university athletic department, Now that it's about the individuals, it becomes a tighter the wallet and the pockets become smaller. So I'm sure it's even more difficult.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm glad I'm not in college athletics. I can't imagine trying to raise money for athletics and then trying to raise money for athletes. I mean, I just can't even imagine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no one, and you used to be an athlete a long time ago.
Speaker 5: That was a long time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, imagine you being in an athlete now.
Speaker 5: If golfers, if the golfers or athletes, we still could have that controversial talk, right right right, Well they're going to be Tiger help Tiger helped that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, no, but like now I don't know what the percentage is going to be, which kind of shocked me about you know, the two the twenty million dollars coming in next year or beyond, where every every sport is going to have a piece of the pie. Yeah, and then I thought it would be all equal. It's not all equal equal the golf situation, the baseball, the softball are not going to get a bigger piece of the pie.
Speaker 4: You know, it's a lot of it's going to be going to football, men's basketball, the money makers, Wow, get you more money?
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: Blows my mind.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it did mine when I first heard it. I'm thinking, how is that because little Johnny and little Susie worked just as hard on other sports they do. Yeah, I want you to say something controversial.
Speaker 5: I can't even go there.
Speaker 3: Those smart ladies, smart ladies. It's just it's just.
Speaker 5: Hard to fathom, you know, it's just hard to.
Speaker 3: Fathom and hard to fathom it has come to this point where where these people, yeah, where the athletes are getting what they're getting, and you're thinking what, Yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Mean when I played college golf, I was happy to get you know, free.
Speaker 3: Golf boy, yes, yes, no, and and a scholarship if you had one, right, yeah.
Speaker 4: And now imagine you get what you want and then you say, well, you know what, this university is going to give me a little bit more than what I have for so so I'm gone.
Speaker 5: And we never even talked about Remember there was even talk last year. Will Caitlyn Clark even go to the w NBA because she's already making so much money playing basketball in college?
Speaker 3: Right, she'd take a pay cut.
Speaker 4: That's because of all the sponsorships and don't yeah, taking a pay cut to play in the w n B A What a.
Speaker 3: World we live in? What a world we live in? How are things okay? Other than that? With your partying shot here with the first anybody can join or tell me how can they just be part of it?
Speaker 5: Anybody can join. You can go to first T two soun dot org and sign up to be on our mailing list or give us a call at five two o six two eight one five five and like say, we really are the first first stop for junior golf in southern Arizona. So if you want to play tournament golf and you don't want group lessons with First team. We do that too with two Sun Juniorgolf dot com as well. So we have a tournament here at Randolph excuse me, at el Rio this weekend. We'll have about seventy kids playing competitive junior golf over two days.
Speaker 3: You know, I have a pretty good dig, right, you know, what do you do for I'm on the radio. What do you do for a living? Judo? Well, I managed a golf youth golf pretty pretty good.
Speaker 5: Well and it's fun.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: We have a new fund that was there today, uh at the BDIA day for the Coolo Grade Classics. She's going to go play college golf at Texas Southern next year in Houston. So really proud of her. And she grew up in our program, right really she wants she wants to be a pilot and they have an AA program there. Nice, nice exciting.
Speaker 3: You get to inspire the young ones of the world.
Speaker 5: It's fun from the little little little ones to the teenagers.
Speaker 3: Oh I bet, yeah, I bet. Thank you Judy as always good to see you. Thank you guys, all right, take care, bye bye. Judi mc dermott from the First Team program executive director, let's go come back and to the side maybe we'll take some calls or get some calls. If you're an Arizona Man's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludelsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 14: Hi, this is formal while get Leman Huntley with Arizona Hell. Imagine how home GM can change you health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space.
Speaker 3: And your life.
Speaker 14: We offer a complete line of cardio machines, multi gyms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you up with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our share room today at twenty second in Wilmot, Arizona.
Speaker 3: Health the lead edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 10: What's your goal a new career or career advancement?
Speaker 3: How about transferring to a four year college.
Speaker 10: PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial laid available, it's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you.
Speaker 3: Learn how at Pima dot edu. Slash Someday. Hey Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Markets All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, they've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three. Selling your home want to get more money for it? Well, Danny Roth can help you. He told me about as You Flip the Home You Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Omni Homes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling a home, call Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand, Jaysona.
Speaker 10: It's time for the Call of Guarden Classic by Exact Sciences March seventh through the ninth at La Paloma Country Club in the Weston Laploma Resort and Spa. Come see some of golf's greatest players competing for the coveted Tucson Conquisador's helmet. It's PGA Tour Championship golf at its finest. Don't forget to join us Friday and Saturday Night under the Stars to watch Vanilla Ice and Coetzel live in concert at Riedo Park. The Colo Guard Classic by Exact Sciences benefiting Colo Rectal Cancer awareness in Tucson Youth Sports. Get your tickets and more at Colo Guard Classic dot com. This that is brought to you by Fall bamb Crowley Investment Group at RBC Wealth Management.
Speaker 6: Breaking down all the xs and os. This is I on the ball with Steve Rivera on Box sportsporteen.
Speaker 3: Fifty, doctor and everybody. Welcome back to Iron the Mall. I'm Steve Rivera, He's Troy Hunterson. Good talk to miss McDermott. Uh with the big obviously tournament here coming about six weeks, five weeks in early March, sleep for every early March. I wanted to talk to you real quick. I want to ask you a difficult question, only in as much as not to answer, but to be politically however you want to be uh huh uh. Arizona a good basketball team?
Speaker 4: Yes, it was, and in terms of right now, in terms of today, in terms of today, Arizona is a good basketball team. That probably like three weeks ago, I would have said, we'll see. If you asked me that a month ago, I would have said, no, Well you said. I even said they were going to make the tournament.
Speaker 3: There three weeks ago. It was before the Texas Tech Game, and you thought they'd sweep that trip, right, And so now it's three or weeks ago. Now they're moving right along. So they're good. What do you mean? What do I mean by good? And what do you mean by good?
Speaker 4: I think they're a good team that has the potential to play in E Lite eight given the right matchup.
Speaker 3: Okay, hold that thought real quick. You're on the eye on the ball. Who's this?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 15: What's up?
Speaker 3: Is Vick Vick Vic? So I get I get a note from Vic from the Arena story, And are you okay? I just want to make sure you're okay.
Speaker 15: I'm not okay. I'm hurting here a little bit, man, Tory, What do you think?
Speaker 4: No, honestly, I get why you're hurting. He's a talented player. But here's my thing. One, it's about nil and money. It always comes down to that in recruiting nowadays. Uh two, next season you have the potential to have Carter Brian back, you might have kJ Lewis back, you might have Cole Pete, and you might have Jayden Bradley.
Speaker 3: Where's the ball gonna go?
Speaker 4: There's only so many basketballs, and you know Arenas he has a high level scorer, but you're not going to get that opportunity with so many guys that can do that. So where you know, there's only one basketball and I think you get grab.
Speaker 15: You think that misses out on Burry's and CoA, we're in trouble or we're okay.
Speaker 3: I don't know about Burry.
Speaker 4: I think you know he's a he's a development prospect, very good prospect, five star recruw. I think CoA that's the one you need to get even if even if Tommy misses out on them. In today's college basketball, you have the transfer portal that really mitigates the recruiting flaws. If you have any in terms of guys that you missed out on, you can go get a you know, high level junior senior from a low level score Eburn, a power five school, And honestly, you kind of want to rather have the upperclassmen than you do a freshman.
Speaker 15: So do you think that that Muscleman promised Elijah, Hey, here's the ball, you take it.
Speaker 4: I guarantee that's one of the conversations. Muscleman's a very good coach. That factors into that as well. I think right now Muscleman is probably a better coach than Tommy Lloyd on paper in terms of what they've done in your career a long time. And then two is you know they nobody says it. Then you're near home, nobody says an nil number. But I promise you he got to get an al deal and it's going to be a free flowing system, just like Tommy Lloyd is a free flowing system.
Speaker 3: Before you ask your next question, Uh, you're you're an older man. You're not as old as me, but I want to say, I'll give you forty five. You're play older than that. How does an old man like this worry himself about recruiting.
Speaker 5: A You know what?
Speaker 15: It keeps me, young man, Steve, I love it.
Speaker 3: You're gonna have a heart attack worried about you kids coming to you.
Speaker 15: Of A Now I can I can uh still go to the bar with Troy and talk recruiting and and shoot the bull and stuff and uh if he honestly, keeps gets you young, get gets you out of the house, going to the games and and all that stuff. And that's the real reason why.
Speaker 3: As my dad would tell me and party tell you.
Speaker 15: No, no, and I get it, and I'm fine. But I was a big Guill fan. I saw him in high school and went to his games. And obviously King came here, and you know, he had a pretty cool career here, and so I was kind of hoping the kid would come and stuff. Just rooting, just a fan standpoint of Bruton.
Speaker 3: Okay, and last question. We got a couple of minutes and no more calls. I asked, de Troy, do you destroy do you Droy think this team is a good team? Do you think Arizona basketball is a good team right now? Right now? Just good?
Speaker 5: Just good?
Speaker 15: But it is one of those teams, Steven, and you said it, and I kind of believe it. They do have the opening to get better and maybe make that little run hopefully. I mean, as we're all going to root for him in the next few weeks here, you know, the kid o Waka getting better as we see Townsend can get better. Obviously, if Caleb hits a stride at some point, kJ two has nothing but to do with but go upp where beating all those guys you know, one hundred and fifty in October has not worked for us as well.
Speaker 3: Know, no, and it never does. It never does.
Speaker 15: But you know what, So yeah, it is a good team and it has the potential to get better.
Speaker 3: Okay, well that's good. And we're not even February yet, so we have time exactly. Yeah, okay, Vic, go back to uh go go back to worrying about recruiting.
Speaker 15: Oh I'm reading everything on Twitter and I'm dying inside. Man, tell him, all right, you guys.
Speaker 3: Okay, thanks. You know what, the one thing that he talks about that I was just thinking about. He talks about these guys kJ can get better because he hasn't really had a kJ a year. Uh, Townsend can get better. He's had a uh maybe a C level season.
Speaker 4: A Walker is getting better. I give him a bee. I give a Walker. I don't think a walka could be that impactful in terms of Oh, he's huge player, he's huge. Uh so that's okay.
Speaker 3: You give him a B. I'll give him bee. You give be a That's fine. Jayden's been okay, steady B plus whatever. Henry, he might as be plus B in the b SO. And then Caleb, who knows he's had a a sometimes his dog ate his homework one day. You know, they're certain up and downs, right, So there's a lot to like in terms of this. If this team gets better, if this team gets better, they should be a lot better because they're still room to get better.
Speaker 4: I think the exciting part of four Arizona fans is you're seeing the others get better. You're seeing Carter, Brian get better, You're seeing kJ Lewis get better, You're seeing Henry, vas Are, Jade and Bradley get better every day, and then you have the potential, Well what if Caleb turns it on in the postseason and the others are already clicking.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's X factor, no question. And I've said this before, Troy. I don't know if you were with me last week when I said this. And then Caleb needs, absolutely needs to show up in March. Yeah, you know, as long as though the guys kind of can play to some of their potential, Caleb absolutely they need his scoring.
Speaker 4: I think they can get by to get to at least at Sweet sixteen, depending on the matchup with Caleb being up and down, but from the sweet sixteen on, you need them to be on.
Speaker 3: You need them to be on.
Speaker 4: Can they be is UCLA's tournament team I think as of right now.
Speaker 3: So can they beat UCLA again?
Speaker 4: I think they could because I think the others are better than what they were when they first played us.
Speaker 3: And they have on the ropes. So they're gonna play UCLA type teams in the second round, second round, third round. See probably one of those teams. So my point is can they beat them to advance? They're gonna play a lower division, lower division team in the first round, and we know how that goes. Sometimes they just didn't get up for right but the second round they're gonna be equal or better than they are. Can they play that team? I think they could.
Speaker 4: Now the question is can they Can they get over that sweet sixteen? For Tommy Lloyd, that's the hump for him right now. Can you get past the sweet sixteen? And for that to happen, Caleb needs to play well?
Speaker 3: Yeah, without question, that's he is. He is like one of my friends. He is the straw that stirs the drink or he's he's the bigxedup drink that you know that doesn't want a straw. It's just kind of strange. I mean, it's just kind of strange because you need he needs to show up.
Speaker 4: You notice one thing that Tommy's done this year and he's never really done in the past. And he still lets love shoot I'm not saying he's not is he's not letting him shoot him out of the game. If he starts out one for five, he sits him down. He's not letting him go one for twelve, one for thirteen, one for twenty whatever. Well he was one for ten before he hit that, but he kept on sitting him down throughout the day. I'm saying, you're not seeing him let a guy shoot him like he used to shoot him.
Speaker 3: Out of the game.
Speaker 4: You're not seeing that. You're seeing Tommy with a quicker trigger of pulling guys this season than he has in the past.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, how has it worked? So so they're getting better? Well, they're getting better, Troy. They were a fifty five foot shot away from losing that game.
Speaker 4: They were, but against the number three team in the country. They look pretty good for most of that good. Yeah, no, they did to your credit, Yes, here's here's interesting. It looked pretty good without Caleb without I'm saying without having to need Caleb Untilia.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: So there's that, and I totally agree with it. You played with them, and you played with him for a long time physically and otherwise without Caleb having.
Speaker 4: A good game. And but that's the Caleb difference maker there is. You went through the final stretch of that game. You're in a tight game, right against the number three team in the country. So we'll say that's an Elite eight game, right, and you go through a three minute and forty one second scoring drought and Telly hits that three.
Speaker 3: Point the buzzer. So where was that game played too soon? Is that a factor? Oh? For sure? For sure?
Speaker 4: But you okay, you can say it was a factor. But they let both sides play. It's not like no, no, they played no. But they played with a comfort zone. They played in a comfort zone with with a little blanky. It's not going to be the same with Baylor. It's not going to be the same at I was. I was staying in the names, oh for sure. So you know it is what it is. Mkale was an and Kale was fantastic. Then that's that's the best MA Center I've seen since the Florida game and what was that two thousand and fifteenish with Mark Lions. That's the loudest I've heard Michael since Senate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and in that game, if you want to commit to me, to me and what I can remember, that was unbelievably the best and now I've heard in a long time too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean for me again, it goes UCLA Selim Stottlemeyers shot, unbelievable, Derek Williams block shot, one of the loudest I've ever heard Michail that Florida game and this Iowa State game is almost at that level.
Speaker 3: It's easily one of the best, top five teams, top five games in a long long time, very much, you know, And no one talks about the past like you know they whatever the Derek Williams shot or whatever, it's the best moment of McHale history. Shut up. It was yesterday. You remember yesterday. I just think you have Houston coming up now, Yeah, which is gonna be even better. That's Kelvin and Kelvin Okay, we got about I don't know, we got about half a minute, So thanks for coming in Troy. We're not gonna go to breaking news on the top of the hour. We'll just continue to talk. Maybe you get a call or two, and then we're gonna have Holderbin. I'm talking about a sue a on either side.