Speaker 1: It's Nightside with Dan Ray. I'm going you easy Boston Radio.
Speaker 2: Carol, thank you very much for that quick intro. I am here for two more hours, officially at the end of eleven fifty nine into midnight. It'll be December twenty sixth. Christmas will be over, but Honika will keep on going. That is an eight day holiday for those of you who didn't know that. And this is what I call a segway. It's a holiday for me three or four times a year when I get a chance to do radio with this next individual. She knows the history of broadcasting backwards and forwards, whether you grew up in Cleveland or Detroit or Los Angeles. She knows the names of the personalities that you listen to on the radio and watched on TV. Please, it is my pleasure to welcome to night Side, Donna Helper, Donna Awe.
Speaker 3: Happy holidays and a happy one to you as well. And what a privilege to be here. Seriously, we have bunches of people that are listening online tonight from various places and that is just so cool because I want them to know.
Speaker 4: Who you are.
Speaker 3: See, we're live and local here, Okay, I mean we are not machines. We are live, we are local, and we are going to spend the evening with you because we want to.
Speaker 2: It's ten eight Eastern time.
Speaker 3: Yep, we are here.
Speaker 2: I am not a recording. This is not eight robot voice.
Speaker 3: Nope, we are not ai. We are we are here. And one thing that's very cool about us being here. Hanukkah and Christmas starting at the same time hasn't happened since two thousand and five. Okay, they often overlap. I mean sometimes, like you know, the last day of Honiko will be like, you know, Christmas or something. But sometimes because we're on a lunar calendar. I'm Jewish, and because we're on a lunar calendar, our holidays come at a different time every year. It's always an adventure. So this is the first time this has happened since two thousand and five. It won't happen again till twenty thirty five. So pretty amazing when you think about it. But I hope everybody had a nice Christmas. Those that celebrated you have a nice one.
Speaker 2: I had a wonderful Christmas. Nancy Grant, I spent it alone, just too all of us. I spoke to my son and he sent me for Christmas Starlight. I think it's called it's a computer like i'll call device that I can put pictures in it, and he can from something.
Speaker 3: I've seen those. I've seen those, yes, yes, And he.
Speaker 2: Put a picture of my grandson James playing with the Hess truck I sent him for the holidays.
Speaker 5: Ah.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: So how cool is that?
Speaker 2: It will get a lot of use over the next I don't know how many photos that can hold. Hopefully it's infinity because we'll be sending photos back and forth for years and years.
Speaker 3: I understand completely. So we've got a bunch of stuff we want to talk about tonight, but before we do, I've got a quick question for you. You've been doing trivia since forever. I mean I have you on the radio. Yeah, as far back as nineteen eighty. Somewhere you told me, and I may have misheard you, but somewhere you told me the DAWs Bosler was the first person that you had as your own guest on your own show. Am I remembering that incorrectly?
Speaker 2: No? You are one. You see. When I did radio originally on U and R, I was on at two a M.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 2: So I couldn't do guests. I just took phone calls and played TV themes and killed two hours. But once I went to fifteen ten, I decided, now I can have guests. I was on both in the afternoons and early evenings, and he does but it was scheduled to be on with me for one hour. He stayed for all three hours of my show.
Speaker 7: So cool.
Speaker 2: I loved that.
Speaker 3: Amazing. That have been amazing.
Speaker 2: I knew his name separate from mel Blank. Oh yeah, because a lot of the cartoons I got enjoyment out of Hanna Ba Barricard tunes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like Dowes Butler who he Dawes Butler did. Like the voices it wasn't he like Yogi Bear and.
Speaker 2: And Quick Drama, Garar and Yep, Pixie and Dixie, so many different voices.
Speaker 3: Yes, absolutely must have been very cool to have him on the air so.
Speaker 2: And to have him for three hours, yeah, I'll give I'll give you a comparison. Three weeks ago, I got Mickey Dolans to come on. Yes, Nicky Dolans had several restrictions. I could only have him for fifteen minutes. I can only talk about a few different subjects. Primarily his album that Yeah has been released and dows Butler let me just flow all over his subject matter, working for Walter Lance, working for MGM Cartoons, and then our obviously of course Santa Barbara Cartoons.
Speaker 3: Hey, that's that's what I missed the most about the and I'm saying this with air quotes, good old days. There were some good old things about the way we used to be able to do radio, Okay. I mean when I discovered the rock band Rush, Okay, I couldn't do that today because today it's all like, you know, you got to have a focus group, and you got to have like sixteen people researching it, and there's a playlist and there were always these things, of course, but we music directors had a lot more freedom. And similarly, when you had guests on in the old days, they were glad to be on, so they were talk about anything terrific.
Speaker 2: I had Dwayne Hipman on, who was Tobie Gillis, and he said, you want me to come on and talk about a series I did twenty years ago?
Speaker 3: Yesp So that were the people.
Speaker 2: Who'd want to hear about it.
Speaker 3: I said, you have there, and it's it's such a different world. I mean, today it is so unusual if you can get someone who will talk about any subject, you know, the things with the restrictions, that's for real. But when they were up and coming, they were just happy as could be. When I hung out with Bruce Springsteen, and I don't want to name drop, but I mean, come on, I was a rock and roll DJ. When I hung out with Bruce Springsteen and we were going to do an interview, there were no restrictions. It was like, it'll talk about whatever you want to talk about.
Speaker 8: World.
Speaker 2: The personalities of back in the day understood that the radio person that was conducting an interview or the magazine article writer, we respected what they represented.
Speaker 9: Yep.
Speaker 2: Now would we expose the fact that now, I'm not saying Bruce Springsteen did this, but I'm saying that Bruce Springsteen kept a seventeen year old girl tied up on an airplane so when he traveled he have company.
Speaker 3: Oh you heard about that. Now, Bruce was clean as a whistle. But even if he hadn't been, Even if he hadn't, we would never have mentioned it. There were a bunch of people that you and I know who they are, and we knew that they had a little problem with let's just say the sauce, and you never never would have mentioned it, never we have mentioned it.
Speaker 2: It would be like the reporters who covered Kennedy. Yep, they may have known about the little dallianted Marilyn Monroe, but they never would have put that in print or requested he comment on it.
Speaker 3: Well, the people that covered Franklin Deellan or Roosevelt. I mean, the man couldn't walk. He was in a wheel chair, but no one photographed him in that wheelchair. They would always show him either standing or sitting behind a podium where you couldn't tell he was in a wheelchair. They cover him differently. Today.
Speaker 2: Let me take my break, and when we come back, I've got a couple of people on line, and we need to tell the listeners specifically what you and I are going to be doing up until midnight today in temperature ten sixteen twenty nine degrees.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan ray Line from the window World Light six Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Dan is off for the rest of the year. He'll be back Wednesday, the first of January twenty twenty five, but I will be here the rest of tonight, Tomorrow night, Friday night, Monday night, and Tuesday night, and for the rest of this night until midnight, Donna Halper will be joining me, and Donna tell the people what we have planned.
Speaker 3: Absolutely well, the rest of this hour, we have something planned and we have something very different the next hour. So for those that kind of jumped on already, you know that's a different story. That's fine with us. But for the rest of the hour, we wanted to talk about Christmas songs that have a special meaning for you. A Christmas song that you particularly like. I don't care if it was like number one or number ninety nine. If there's a song that really speaks to you, and even if it weren't Christmas, you'd like it anyway, tell us what that song is and tell us why it means something to you. Ditto for movies. Is there a Christmas movie that really speaks to you? Like I said, doesn't have to be number one, It could be number ninety nine, but if it's number one in your heart, give us a call and tell us about it. Christmas movies, Christmas TV shows, Christmas songs. As we wrap up Christmas with stuff that means something to you and.
Speaker 2: I mentioned this during the previous two hours dealing with trivia. The song that opened up Charlie Brown's Christmas the Kids are Skating on the Frozen Pond in the neighborhood Christmas Time is here. It was a slow paced, melodic song, hypnotic almost in the playing of it. And I love that song from the first second I heard it, yep, sitting in front of my TV watching that Yeah.
Speaker 3: And that was go ahead, no, please finish well.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying that was hypnotic and it captured me, and maybe that's the best word. It captured my.
Speaker 3: Attention absolutely, And for example, in my case, like as I said before, I'm a friendly Jewish person, so Christmas isn't my holiday, but I fell in love with Christmas Baby Please Come Home by Darlene Love the first time I heard it. I could listen to that song every day. I don't care if it's about Christmas, I'm fine the day she could have substituted Hanukkah. It's just a great song and it is aged very well and I work so well with their voice.
Speaker 2: Jesus, your voice was perfect for it.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: I heard that song at seven point thirty to night getting ready to do. Yes, there's a station on TV. Everybody has the option to go to the music channel station yep. And whether you like country music, Christmas music, classical music, there's a station for you. And I was listening to the Christmas songs and that wasn't there.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I've got a big long list of stuff the top forty play. But I'll be interested to hear what the listeners have to say.
Speaker 2: So let's take phone calls find out and let's go to Gary and he's first, Hello, Gary, Welcome back.
Speaker 1: Gary, once going twice.
Speaker 2: Let's go to Oh okay, we dropped Gary. Let's go to Daryl in New Brunswick.
Speaker 10: Hello, Darryl, Hey, Merry Christmas, Morgan, happy honic to Donna.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 10: You guys nailed it right in the conversation. Reference even the cartoons going back to the old days. But reference the because I still remember a cartoon named Herman. Yes, and uh with that, it's it's even if you go to W. C. Fields you watch some of the Old Man on the Trappees movie. Yes, but but reference the radio stations. You go to Detroit and you had w r I F one on one with Arthur Pentau, and Dick de Brews.
Speaker 3: Remember it will, I remember it will?
Speaker 10: And they had such an audience. Oh it was so amazing, right yep.
Speaker 3: And did you remember c kl W?
Speaker 10: I remember c k W. Yes, And there was played a lot of.
Speaker 3: Those hit songs too. Yes, they played a ton of those hit songs. So do you have a particular song that resonates for you?
Speaker 10: I would actually have to go with the uh, the Gambler guy and Kenny Rogers, Kenny Rodgers and I can't remember her name, she's Dolly Parton.
Speaker 3: Dolly Parton.
Speaker 2: Oh, they such great music. And I don't mean this as a double entendre, but they did some great music together.
Speaker 3: And Dolly did a Christmas special that we get in from Dollywood that was kind of cool.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Well, I love her. I had the privilege of meeting her. What a nice person, very much. What you see is what you get.
Speaker 10: Well, they have such a working ability and that's the nice thing about it. And and if they could actually bring back Saturday cartoons.
Speaker 3: Yeah I missed those.
Speaker 10: Oh but the thing is, even in today's environment, even in Canada, we actually learned about how you've developed a.
Speaker 7: Bill with that cartoon.
Speaker 8: They used to play in the Schoolhouse Rock.
Speaker 2: Schoolhouse Rock. I'm and I'm sitting here on Capitol Hill. Yeah, I'm not mistaken. There was Bob Durrow's voice that we heard. I'm just going through my memories of those days.
Speaker 10: I'm just going with it because you had other colors. But the main point being is you guys are alive, and that yes where we are.
Speaker 3: We're so glad you called. And I know where New Brunswick is and I've been there.
Speaker 10: Well Paul Herbie was the man. And that's the rest of the story.
Speaker 3: Hey, you have us. Thanks, I can find you.
Speaker 2: I've never been there, but I can find it on a map.
Speaker 10: Well, you're always welcome my place, Sir Darryl.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, and I want you to have a happy twenty five.
Speaker 10: Hey, I got my dog d Day with me, so we're all good.
Speaker 2: You take care bye bye. Here, let's go to John in Boston. John, you're next on night side.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you very much. Of a happy honic on Marry Christmas or whatever you celebrating me.
Speaker 3: It's all good. All holidays are good. If it's a day off of all about.
Speaker 7: Us copy that.
Speaker 4: Uh, it's funny you said that somebodysons. What the holidays in a middle a week? They followed me up, it's thought about the Uh, this is the cartoons. I think they you know, they helped the educated kids a certain way, and uh, you know I was used to like of it.
Speaker 2: What was your favorite cartoon?
Speaker 7: What was your favorite?
Speaker 4: Probably the Jetson.
Speaker 2: Do you one know something most people don't even realize. There were only eleven words in their theme Meet George Jetson his boy el Roy. Now they sing it as two words, but it's one word dart or Judy and Jane his wife eleven words with a little hint of chopsticks played in the middle of the theme.
Speaker 10: But that's to be concise, very concise.
Speaker 3: There's some of those old theme songs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, my daughter you as well, both as a member of the society, as my buddy told me, I'm a member of the Menai Society.
Speaker 2: And the other thing about the the other thing about the Jetsons, they cast that very well because they used people who were known in old time radio. Penny Singleton was the voice of Jane and she was the voice of Blondie on the radio, as well as George O'Hanlon, who was George and DOWG Butler. He was Elroy and Henry Orbert the Handyman.
Speaker 4: Wow. Wasn't there were comic book Blondie?
Speaker 3: Yes, there was a comic book Blondie.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and that was done by the artist Chick C h I C Chick Young.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 3: So sometime we're going to get into a whole thing about theme songs from some old TV shows, because I was watching Yoga Bear today. You know, Yogi Bear is smarter than the average bear.
Speaker 2: And Yogi Bear is always in the ranger's hair.
Speaker 3: And at a picnic table you will find there stuffing down more goodies than the.
Speaker 2: He may sleep till noon, but before it's dark you turn.
Speaker 3: You have every picnic basket that's in jelly Stone Park.
Speaker 2: Smarter, millionaire.
Speaker 3: People are going to think we're nuts. People are going to think we're nuts.
Speaker 2: You know, if.
Speaker 4: We're not nuts in a certain way, in a good way, then then the world wouldn't be the way it is, you know what I'm saying, in a good way.
Speaker 3: Well, we're having fun on the radio, and we're just glad you're listening.
Speaker 2: Well, John, thank you for your wait.
Speaker 4: You say one song was John Lennon and so this is Christmas.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, happy Christmas. War is over? Yes, I talked about that.
Speaker 2: Sorry answer trivia question last hour.
Speaker 3: Yep, all right is over. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna let you go for a news hit. But thank you for the call, Thank you for calling, and happy holidays. Say bye bye, good books, same do you good health? All right? Everybody you want to do what Donna suggests to give us a call, tell us your favorite. It doesn't have to be a song or a movie, but we would like it if you would stick to that. I am going to give you the phone number six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty eight, eight eight, nine to nine, ten thirty. I'm Morgan. This is night Side.
Speaker 3: Cheez don im Yep, there you go.
Speaker 2: Time and temperature on night Side ten thirty one twenty nine.
Speaker 1: Degrees night Side with Dan Ray. I'm w BZY, Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: Dan Ray is not here tonight. I am Morgan Morgan White Junior. I'm joined by Donna Helper and we're doing an interesting subject that should get the phone lines lit up. There are two people on leaving the new and.
Speaker 3: I've got a couple of people that are reaching out to us. On social media, and I am monitoring social media while we're talking, and I got one very very interesting I was going to mention this great minds Billy, Billy, You're a genius. Billy mentioned Meet me in Saint Louis, the movie from nineteen forty four, and in it, Judy Garland sings her version of have yourself a very little Christmas?
Speaker 8: Am I right?
Speaker 2: I know that well. I also mentioned that during the trivia hours before you and Jack Hart, God love him. I made a mistake. I gave credit to Bob Durrow as the voice of I'm Just a Bill. Bob Durrow did a lot of the voices mixed in with Schoolhouse rock. But Jack Sheldon, Jack Sheldon.
Speaker 9: From.
Speaker 2: A legendary trumpet player you saw on the MERV Griffin Show. He did the voice of I'm just a Bill. Yeah, I'm lying here on Capitol Hill. That was Jack Sheldon. So Jack Hart, thank you for that.
Speaker 3: Okay, we've got full lines.
Speaker 2: Let's let's take them one by one. Jack and Newton, Welcome to Night's Side.
Speaker 9: How you doing. I have have honka. I grew up in Wisconsin, went to Sherman's Elementary School, so I've been Washington High School. Maybe there's somebody out there listening. And back then we were able to sing Christmas songs in the schools. And I don't mean jingle bells, but I mean really, you know, heavy, beautiful Christmas songs. I remember most and I really loved this one. I don't know the neighborhood, but it's it's the line is Paul on your knees?
Speaker 3: Yeah, A Holy Night in my French class. In my French class, we learned that in French. So that was still we were still singing those Christmas carols in the fifties and sixties.
Speaker 2: Yes, can you sing any of it in French?
Speaker 3: Now, sure yes I could, but you wouldn't want to hear me sing believe me.
Speaker 9: You know it should not have been singing those songs or I mean, I think, but I didn't mind singing them. I mean a lot of you know, the rabbis and other people complained that we were forced to sing those songs. I didn't mind them, you know, singing those songs, and they don't allow those songs.
Speaker 3: Yeah. What I wasn't happy about was that they never did any Hanka songs, and there always were honkah songs. But you know, I'm still I'm glad I learned other people's songs. That's not a problem. You know, when you're a performer, you have to learn other people's songs. And I'm not just talking about myself as a performer. I'm saying that there are a lot of people in Hollywood, a lot of people that make top forty records that they're not of the religion that they're singing about, but these are great songs when.
Speaker 2: They hear Mel Simon's on the other day, did you hear him play for one of his audioclip trivia quizzes Chubby Checker singing Havanagila.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, yep, that's reliant.
Speaker 9: I mean, they're really not the non Jews, no, you know, but there was Mel.
Speaker 2: Played about a half dozen of them.
Speaker 3: Well, there's a very very good band, and I posted this for my friends on social media. There's a really good band called Nefesh Mountain n e f e s H Nefesh Mountain. And it turns out there are two Woody Guthree songs that are about Hanika because while he wasn't Jewish, he had a Jewish granddaughter and he wrote two songs for her, and they're wonderful and you can find them on YouTube.
Speaker 9: Well, the most famous really is by Adam's Chandler Oh.
Speaker 3: Yes, and that was a hit. That was actually a hit. Hey yeah, yeah live.
Speaker 9: That's mentioned everywhere, and I think it's time for Yep.
Speaker 3: It was a big hit in nineteen ninety six. It went gold in two thousand and nine. That's a gold record.
Speaker 8: Yep.
Speaker 3: He did as her novelty, but it turned out to be a hit.
Speaker 7: Go figure Jack, anything else right?
Speaker 9: I think that two and three of the most famous movies One White Christmas, the song itself of ex actually composed by.
Speaker 6: Oh Yeah, Yep Ivlin.
Speaker 9: Great movie, and I would say, you know, it's a wonderful life.
Speaker 3: Yes, classic classic.
Speaker 9: Don't know what I love about the last line of that movie, No man is a failure if he has friends?
Speaker 2: How true?
Speaker 3: Well, we're glad you called in.
Speaker 2: Thank you Jack, and enjoy the rest of it, Enjoy your holiday and the upcoming year twenty twenty five. Open line if you want to take Jack's line, it's open to you. Six one, fourteen, thirty, eight, eight, eight, nine, nine, ten thirty. And now Jack is gone and we're going to go to Cleo in Brockton. I know this man. Hello Cleo. Happy Holidays Unday.
Speaker 7: And happy holiday. Hello to you. Listen, I hope everything's going well with you. It is, And say hi daughter Timu's daughter. Haw's a going you know.
Speaker 3: Happy to be walking around ten years cancer free and grateful every day. Yes, every day is a blessing, they say, right, absolutely, even on my worst day. I'm glad, I'm alive.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 7: I don't know if it's just this is Christmas theme, but I like want to bring up a couple of rock songs that are like Christmas. Y One is regularly Squire, Yes, the Squire he does Christmas is the time to say I Love you. Such a great song.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And.
Speaker 7: David Bowie and Bing Crosby, Uh.
Speaker 2: Oh, yes, you cannot forget that.
Speaker 3: Yep, two people who I am told did not like each other. But it's a great record.
Speaker 7: Yes, it's a great record. And lastly, it's one of my favorite singers from a group called King Zach's. His name is Doug Pennick. He does a little Drumma boy and he made sure the same long and it's like he's such a great singer and I just he's one of those guys. When when I first heard it, I says, this Doug Pennock and I kept listening. I said, that is him. And it was on a heavy metal Christmas That's what it was called. It was a really great Christmas album. And that's one other thing I want to bring up, just kind of you brothers. You know who they are more than right?
Speaker 2: Oh sure, I'm sweet, wild and wonderful. Ooh a mystical, magical nan, Do I know these brothers?
Speaker 7: That is? That was one of my I know you were talking about songs on the TV. That song is such a great song. I listened to that periodically. Just when I did one of my radio shows I did, I played not but show tunes and that was one of the songs I put on. And a young kid came up to me and said, I never heard that song. Well, I said from a TV show. And he goes, who's the guys? I say, I said, they're the Adres Brothers.
Speaker 6: They're from Massa, wins Winthrop, the Pride of Winthrop, Massachusetts, right, And I said they're the people that wrote never my Love for the Association, huge association.
Speaker 7: Yes, and they also.
Speaker 3: Did and they just sort of a non hit that got a lot of airplay in Boston called We've got to Get It on Again again. Remember I still remember that song a.
Speaker 7: Hit, just such a great song. And they you know, I never I think one of them passed away. But you know, like I feel that a lot of Boston acts don't get enough credit for you know, we have so much great talent that comes from Massachusetts and and you know.
Speaker 3: There's a whole show we could do around that sometime.
Speaker 7: Yeah, more than that's a hint, hint, wink wings that take a look at this.
Speaker 2: If I do the show, maybe I should do it with you on the air.
Speaker 7: Yeah, all right, Dad, and Merry Christmas and holiday, Happy.
Speaker 3: Heart, Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 7: Everybody have a fantastic week.
Speaker 3: Okay, absolutely, thank.
Speaker 2: Cleo, Bye bye. All right, let's take our break. Khalil's line is open. You want to grab at six one, seven, two, five, fourteen thirty or eight eight, eight, nine to nine, ten thirty. I'm Morgan's feeling in for Dan. Donna is feeling in for herself here on night Side Time ten forty five twenty nine degrees.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios, on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Let's go to drake it and speak with Anne and happy holidays. Welcome to night Side.
Speaker 11: Thank you, Happy holidays to both of you two. I was wondering this is one of my favorite movies at Christmas time, but I don't think anyone's ever heard of it, and it's difficult to find. It's college write in a way. It's a war drama based on a truth during World War One in December nineteen fourteen. And you know that I was in it.
Speaker 3: Was this the one from two thousand and five?
Speaker 11: Well, it was. It's the Christmas Truth of December twenty fourteen and five at the con Film Festival. It was there. I guess it's an actual account. It's an actual event, and it's sixty nine account of it. The Crown Prince Wilhelm sent some opera singers to sing it.
Speaker 3: I remember I remember reading about it, but I don't. I didn't see it, but I remember reading about it. It was in a bunch of languages with subtitles. If I'm not mistaken, because it was based on actual events.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and you know, if everybody could do that, have a truth but then continue it. Unfortunately, there's always like a truth or you know, and the next thing, you know, everybody's fighting and killing again. It would be nice if the truth could stay. This was back in a World War One, but.
Speaker 3: You know that was it's about the For those that don't know what she's referring to, it's about that Christmas truth and that was not a myth. They actually did stop fighting for twenty four hours, you know, in December of nineteen fourteen. Unfortunately it didn't last. But it's a great little movie from what I'm looking at the reviews of it. Thank you for mentioning it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think your primarily Germans versus the French.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: They decided under a white flag, let's not shoot each other anymore. And some of the soldiers extreme exchanged gifts with each other.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yeah.
Speaker 11: They showed pictures of their families, you know. One of them showed a picture of his wife just pregnant and he had to leave her behind. It like a lot of little personal stories too.
Speaker 2: How did you pick up a rifle after that and shoot the guy on the other side of the hill.
Speaker 11: That's what I mean. Yeah, you know, because there was a chaplain he and he was a stretcher carrier. That's what he was. He was Scottish and then he was a chaplain and his treacher bearer. There were two famous opera stars which was which was true? There was the French lieutenant whose was the son of a general I mean, and there was a Jewish German lieutenant. But you know, it's it's it's sad because if you could have that, you know, stops a little bit and and you would get along and you were all, you know, friends for the moment and then you know, pick up arms again. That's tragic.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm with you one hundred percent. Thank you for mentioning that. That sounds like something that people ought to pay more attention to. Is there's so many movies about everything is wrong and everybody hates everybody. But it's nice to see something where actually peace breaks out.
Speaker 11: So yeah, and you have there, you have Russian president putin what does he do? He sends he uh sends rockets into can you think of the ant? And what does he do on Christmas? Okay?
Speaker 3: Yep?
Speaker 11: In families and children and you know, so anyways, that's that's sad. And then they'll go on what if that song that you know, like they go on fighting again after and one of you yeah, and one of you dons another day and Christmas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's John Lemon, Yeah, John Lennon from nineteen seventy one, Happy Christmas. War is over and it's got great lines to it. War is over if you want it, Yeah, if people want it.
Speaker 8: Yep.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for calling in.
Speaker 11: Oh you're welcome, says you. Take care of both of you. Happy healthy New Year to you.
Speaker 7: Think take care of bie.
Speaker 2: Kissy kissy to you. Let's go to Lemonster and talk to Dave. So, Dave, what was your favorite memory of a song, a movie, or special on TV.
Speaker 8: Well, I'd like to go back to I hope you could hear me, okay, because I'm in my car.
Speaker 3: We hear you loud and sound wonderful to us, and we even know where Lemonster is.
Speaker 8: Very good, Okay. I'd like to go back to nineteen seventy seven and I was twelve years old, and at that time I had never seen It's a Wonderful Life. I didn't know this story warrior or anything. There was a there was a TV movie on and it was called It Happened One Christmas, and it was basically the story of It's a Wonderful Life, but the roles were reversed and it starred Marlo Thomas.
Speaker 2: Marlo Thomas, I remember that.
Speaker 8: Florest Leachman played the angel and Orson Wells played mister Potter character. And I forget the gentleman's name who played opposite Marlo Thomas. He was the one who was played in Mass.
Speaker 2: It was Mash and it was.
Speaker 3: You had Marlo Thomas, Wayne Rogers, Orson.
Speaker 2: Wills, Wayne Rogers. Mike Farrell was not because he was from Mash, but he was later on in.
Speaker 3: Mash and Wayne Rogers.
Speaker 8: Yep, I remember it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Marlo Thomas. I love Marlo Thomas, Marlow Thomas.
Speaker 8: Eventually, when I when I finally saw It's a Wonderful Life, you know, I enjoyed it. But in my heart, just because I have seen that story portrayed in the TV movie version, I always prefer that version instead.
Speaker 2: And Marlow Thomas's age, gosh darn well, you see here in these Saint Jude commercials because of your father who started that whole charity. Jee and she looks like she is thirty nine years old.
Speaker 8: She does it really does.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good for her, all right, thank you, thank you so much.
Speaker 8: Well, Merry Christmas and thank you.
Speaker 2: All right, have one line open if you get it. You're going to be obviously chatting in the next hour, so be prepared to shift subjects or keep the reason why you're calling either way. Six one, seven, two, five, four, ten, thirty eight eight eight nineteen, nineteen thirty And let's go to Scott calling from the community of Lynn. You know where that is?
Speaker 5: Hi Morgan, Hi, Donna, Hey, Hey, Hawaii.
Speaker 2: The city of sin You never go out the.
Speaker 7: Way you went in.
Speaker 5: Oh, yes, it's got a beautiful coastline and a lot a great history about the shoe industry and generally electric yep. But I want to mention the about the song have yourself a Merry Little Christmas from the movie Meet Me in Saint Louis. Yes, yeah, Donna, you must know about the story how the lyrics were changed?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? Why didn't you Why did you tell people? What did you tell people?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 5: I didn't see the movie, but I read a little about it, and that the original lyric was a little melancholy yep. And when when they wanted to redo it, they changed the line. Uh, will have to muddle through somehow to hang your shining Star upon the highest bow.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 5: Now, who who had the hit? Later on Donna?
Speaker 3: Oh everybody and this sister had a version.
Speaker 10: A lot of people did it.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's about seven hundred versions of it. Which one would you like?
Speaker 5: It's a skelet But in the from the movie? What what was the context for the song in the movie that gave it kind of a melancholy tone?
Speaker 3: Morgan? Do you remember the movie better than I do? It's been ages since I've seen it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, remember, I remember the movie, and I think it had to do with class level in an upper class high society dealing with the lower class, a class below them in that is the issue. And I hate to do this to you, Scott. I will finish talking about this on the other side of the news, because news is knocking on the door with arch knuckles.
Speaker 5: Well, happy and healthy new Year to both of you.
Speaker 3: Happy you as well, Thank you, thank you Morgan, tonight.
Speaker 2: You're welcome. We'll complete that story on the other side of the news.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're right about the social class thing. Yeah, absolutely, now that I'm looking back on it. Yep.
Speaker 2: Six six, seven, five, four, ten, thirty eight, eight, eight, nine, two, nine, ten, thirty get you through tonight's side time and temperature night Side ten fifty eight, holding it twenty nine degrees