Speaker 1: You're listening to wake Up Call on demand from KFI AM six forty KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County. It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 2: Good morning. This is your wake up call for Tuesday, May sixth. I'm Heatherbrooker in for Amy King this week. I hope your morning is off to a great start, and we're glad that you're here with us today.
Speaker 3: We've got a lot.
Speaker 2: Of stories we want to get to you, but first I want to say good morning to the wake Up Call crew. Good morning, producer, Anne, how are you?
Speaker 4: Good morning.
Speaker 2: It's always so nice to see you. Are you feeling more well rested since yesterday? I know you didn't get much sleep. Oh my nice love about seven hours? Ooh that's nice. That's nice. I'm a little jealous. I didn't get to sleep that much. And Cono good morning to you as well. Good morning other And we know you had no naps because you got little ones busy.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I actually my four year old wanted to watch Moana and I think I passed out.
Speaker 2: You were like sleeping during a little bit during Marana. Yeah, oh, I get it. I remember those days when my daughter was the age. I would kind of drift off during during those movies Good times.
Speaker 7: Yeah, my daughter's very sweet.
Speaker 6: And then I wake up with a blanket on me.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so thoughtful. I'd love that. What a good little heart she has. And then do we have will Cole Schreiber? No, oh lord, all right, I guess we'll all just have to guess what's happening with the traffic. Then today we'll just somebody call in and tell us. We'll figure it out.
Speaker 8: Though.
Speaker 2: Once we get to that point, let's get started though, jump right in. We had a lot of news to cover today. Here's what's the head on wake up call. The woman accused of killing a star high school athlete in Manhattan Beach had a prior d UI. Jenny Belt was charged in twenty twenty three with DUI hit and run. She was reportedly driving on a suspended license when she hit and killed eighteen year old Bron Levy on Sunday. LA Animal Services may get five million dollars back in its budget, avoiding major layoffs and shelter closures. The funding helps keep adoption and Spain neuter campaigns alive. As the city council prepares to finalize the budget and its wildfire Preparedness Week in California, and officials are urging everyone to help build a fire ready future. That means clearing brush and making an evacuation plan at CalFire says now is the time to act because wildfire safety starts at home. We'll have more on that as well, and then coming up on wake up Call. At five oh five, tensions escalate in the Middle East as Israel approves a controversial plan to seize Gaza and expand its military presence, with airstrikes now reaching Yemen. We'll check in with Jordana Miller and Jerusalem to find out what this means for the region. At five point twenty, President Trump says his administration will offer migrants money and flights to encourage self deport Those who leave voluntarily may return more easily, and he says those who don't d well, they'll be barred permanently. Steve Portnoy will join us with more on that five point thirty five. Have you ever heard of chrome orbs to prove that you're human? What is she even talking about? Well, we're going to tell you a news startup is planting thousands of them across the US cities, and yes, privacy concerns are already popping up. Mike Debuski will join us to break all that down. And if I point fifty, Joel Larsgar joins us with how to money, and we're going to be talking about Warren Buffett. He's stepping down and what his legendary investing legacy means for the rest of us. That's all coming up at six oh five. It's handled on the news. LAFD union president Freddie Escobar has been suspended over allegations of financial misconduct. Escobar denies the claims, calling them politically motivated. Let's start with some of the stories coming out of the KAFI twenty four hour newsroom. Police say a woman arrested for a deadly dui crash in Manhattan Beach should not have been driving.
Speaker 4: Belt, the thirty three year old alleged DUI driver accused of killing eighteen year old Loyola High School senior Bron Levy on May fourth, was reportedly driving on a license suspended for a previous drunk driving arrest. According to the La Times, Belt's license was suspended in January twenty twenty four after she pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor hit and run with property damage.
Speaker 7: Eileen Gonzalez k a fine news.
Speaker 2: Covered California may be selling patients information. A new lawsuit says LinkedIn and Google both received health data about users who logged into coveredca dot com. The information was shared without their consent. Web trackers sent information about pregnancy prescriptions and which doctors people use. Millions of people get insurance through Covered California. A man from La County is accused of posing as an IRS agent and stealing twenty thousand dollars from a person in Riverside County.
Speaker 3: Thirty one year old Arcadia resident zeq One Oh was arrested last week following a report of fraud the Riverside County. The Sheriff's Department says Oh extorted money from the victim after telling them their financial accounts had been compromised, or arrived to pick up money while deputies from the Sheriff's Department's Norco station we're meeting with the victim.
Speaker 2: Kfi's Daniel Martindale says the phony agent was arrested on the spot. Mental healthcare workers at Kaiser Permanent Day may soon sign a new contract.
Speaker 9: Nearly seven months after going on a labor strike. The union representing the workers will hold a ratification vote Thursday on a proposed new contract. The tentative deal, announced Sunday covers nearly twenty four hundred Kaiser mental health therapists, social workers, psychiatric nurses and psychologists represented by National Union of Healthcare Workers. If ratified, the agreement will go into effect immediately. Deborah mark Kffi.
Speaker 2: News Governor Newsom says the story about Californian's losing population has changed. In a new video posted to Newsom's social media pages, the governor says California is growing again.
Speaker 10: This narrative of mass exodu enough, that's old talking points. People have to give that up.
Speaker 9: There's a lot of California arrangement syndrome out there, and I think we continue to outperform it.
Speaker 10: We continued to show our critics the door.
Speaker 2: Newsom says the state added about one hundred and eight thousand residents in twenty twenty four, bringing the total population close to forty million. He says the state has the most fortune five hundred companies in over a decade. Tensions are rising in the Middle East as Israel approves a new plan to expand operations in Gaza and strike Kouthi rebels in Yemen, and with President Trump said to visit soon. ABC's Geordana Miller is live in Jerusalem with more on what's at stay. Good morning, Good morning.
Speaker 11: We do have some breaking news which is just a few minutes ago, the Israeli Army ordered evacuation orders for Sauna International Airport, that is the main airport in Yemen's capital, Sauna. And it appears the Israeli armies on the verge of carrying out another wave of strikes today following last night's strikes. All of this began, of course, over the weekend when the Hutis, the rebel backed the rebel group backed by Iran, fired a ballistic missile that hit inside the grounds of Bengori International Airport, narrowly missing Terminal three packed with travelers, narrowly missing the runway with plenty of ship, plenty of aircraft on there, including some filled with travelers, and that started this latest wave. It comes on the heels as well, as you mentioned, the announcement that Israel's Cabinet Security Cabinet has approved plans to really expand in a very aggressive way. Israel's operations in the Gaza Strip. It's really another phase of this war that, if carried out, would see the Israeli army gradually take over the entire Gaza Strip, move most of Gaza's two million Palestinians south into one area. And it would also include Israel taking over They're already in southern Gaza, but creating hub there for the distribution of aid. Remember Israel's been blocking aid now for more than two months. If this war plan goes through, Israel will allow aiden, but only in very restricted areas, and apparently private companies will come in and distribute it. The UN agencies have already said they won't be a part of this plan at all. The one important thing to note is that this very aggressive plan to essentially take over the Gaza Strip will is not expected to begin until President Trump concludes his visit here in the Middle and he's coming next week for a few days to Saudi Arabia. The United Arab Emirates to cutter and the Israelis are going to wait and see if possibly the President can put pressure and get another Goza Seafire deals signed or advance a deal. Those talks have installed for many weeks and Israel using this aggressive plan as a kind of pressure tactic on Hamas. But you know, Hamas has not responded in the past to these kinds of moves and measures, so it's unlikely they will this time either.
Speaker 2: So what prompted this sudden surge in this plan, Like it seems like they have been you know, there's been fighting going back and forth for quite some time, but this seems particularly aggressive and sudden. What prompted this.
Speaker 11: Well, we have to understand that since Israel broke the seafire in mid March, that was done with a new security and de fense, established a new crew of leaders, right, a new defense minister, a new head of the Israeli Army, and though those leaders have had, along with the Israeli Prime Minister, a much more aggressive idea of what needs to come next in Gaza. And the truth is, since the ceasefire broke now about you know, more than a month ago, the Israelis have been telling us on and sometimes in even their public remarks that the next phase of Gaza will look very different, the next phase of the war, different than what we saw in the first year. When we asked about that, they were already indicating that Israel was gearing up for a much more intense plan to take over the entire Gaza strip and hold territory and hope that that will somehow bring Hamas to its knees. You know, there's a big question about whether this will even work, along with all the eagal issues it raises about international law, humanitarian law. What will happen the two million Palestinians. Will they be now under some kind of military occupation. I mean, we'll have to wait and see, but this is a very aggressive plan that many will are already it's already drawing criticism in Europe and at the UN.
Speaker 2: And unrealistically, what difference will it make, you know, before or after Trump's visit. I know that they are saying that they're delaying implementing the full you know plan until after he visits, But if they're just going to do it anyway, what is what's the difference?
Speaker 12: Why wait?
Speaker 10: Well?
Speaker 11: First, I think these I think the Israelis do want to wait and see if Trump can exert pressure and help advance the ceasefire talks that are stalled right now. I think Israel would prefer to sign a deal for six weeks get out eight or ten hostages, right, and instead of going to this very aggressive plan, which we have to say, I mean, it really could endanger the lives of the hostages, right, They could be moved, they could be killed out of revenge or anger.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 11: So there's a clear risk and there's a lot of public opposition to the plan. But the other reasons that the Israelis are going to wait or first of all, they've called up all these reservists. They have to train them in the south of the country before going into Gaza. That will take at least two weeks. And there are very sensitive talks going on between the United States and Iran and talks about a normalization deal between Israel and Saudi Arabia. And the Israelis don't want to divert attention away from this moment that Trump is going to have in the Middle East. They don't want to mar it with a major, a major aggressive ground operation in the Gaza strip.
Speaker 2: They want to wait and just sort of see what happens. Well, we'll definitely be watching this closely. Jondona Miller in Jerusalem, thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 11: Welcome Tuxon.
Speaker 2: Thank you all right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Wildfire Preparedness Week in California is underway through May tenth.
Speaker 9: The state is focusing on the theme building a fire ready future, strengthening our defenses together. Residents are encouraged to take steps to protect their homes. Key recommendations from cal Fire include clearing the first five feet around your home and using fire resistant materials on and around your place. CalFire says people should create an evacuation plan and prepare a go bag in case you have to evacuate quickly. Deborah mark Kffi.
Speaker 2: News Actress Lisa Lou has become the oldest recipient of a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. She says she first turned down a star in nineteen sixty because she couldn't bear the thought of people walking on her name.
Speaker 13: Today it's ninety eight years old. I embraced the star as a testament.
Speaker 2: Lou's long career in entertainment has included roles in the movies The Last Emperor, The Joy Luck Club, and Crazy Rich Asians. A suspended Newport Beach attorney has been sentenced to nearly two years in federal prison for stealing close to nine million dollars in a loan fraud scheme. Prosecutors say Sarah King use the money to fund a lavish lifestyle and a gambling addiction. She pleaded guilty in twenty twenty three. Her attorney said she was addicted to xanax and drinking heavily while gambling in Vegas. Jury selection is underway in Sean diddy Combe's criminal trial for sex trafficking and racketeering nineteen. Prospective jurors advanced after answering questions about media habits, music tastes, and backgrounds. Trial is expected to last about two months. A former Homeland Security official claims President Trump is using government power to silent critics. The ex official alleges the administration is targeting political opponents and civil society groups. This raises concerns about free speech and democratic norms. At six oh five, it's handled on the news. The Trump administration is offering undocumented immigrants one thousand dollars and travel assistants to voluntarily leave the US. The Department of Homeland Security says this self deportation program facilitated through CBP home app through the CBPOM home app aims to reduce deportation costs way up to seventy percent. Critics argue it may mislead migrants about future re entry options. Let's say good morning to Stephen Portnoy, where we are going to be talking about President Trump. He's unveiled a controversial new plan encouraging those migrants like I just said, to self deport offering financial incentives and a flight home. Good morning, Stephen, Good morning to you. All right, what exactly is the administration proposing with this self deportation program and how did it work in practice?
Speaker 14: Well, I think you laid a lot of it out.
Speaker 11: Look.
Speaker 14: The bottom line is this administration wants to incentivize migrants in the country illegally to take it upon themselves to leave. You may have seen TV commercials with the Homeland Security Secretary of Christy Nome warning migrants that if they don't do it themselves, well they're going to face much harsher treatment from the US government with ice arresting and detaining and ultimately deporting them. So yesterday the announcement was made that the incentive will be a free plane ticket and one thousand dollars cash stipend. On top of that, if migrants register with the government through the CBP Home app. Used to be the CBP one app, which was used by the Biden administration to facilitate the entries of people who wanted to register their asylum claim and make an appointment to show up at the border. Well, that service is no longer in use, and now the app is being used by the Trump administration to people for their own self deportation. The argument is that this costs the government a lot less to pay people to do it on their own than to have law enforcement arrest, detain, and deport individuals. So they say it's seventy percent cheaper. The average cost for deportation, according to officials, is seventeen thousand dollars per migrant. You can see the math. So the first person to do it took this flight from Chicago to Hunduras. We have no estimates as far as I know, as to how many people will take advantage, and I don't know that there's necessary a cap, necessarily a cap or a limit on how many people can or whether there's fine print that might reduce eligibility.
Speaker 11: We'll see, all.
Speaker 2: Right, So has the White House released any specifics on how much will be paid out and where that funding is coming from. You know, how many people are going to be able to self deport? Do we have enough money for all of them?
Speaker 14: I just answered that question when I said that there are no estimates that I've seen. Ah okay, But it raises substantial questions because not only the ones you ask, what about what kind of protection is there against fraud? What the government says is that the app will be used once a person lands in their home country to register their arrival, and then the cash will be dispersed. So there's a great deal of trust that is being dependent on here on both sides. The migrants have to trust that the money will come, and the government has to trust that the migrants will actually leave and have left. I suppose will be some sort of GPS technology with the app to ensure that the phone is physically present in the other country. And while there are VPNs and other ways to sort of create the idea that you're in another country, I don't know, you must have the location or some sort of other trigger turned on your phone where it'll actually say where you are. The bottom line is that this is something that government is doing and wants highly publicized, and they've succeeded in that to get migrants to do it on their own. And it's part of the overall effort of mass deportations that the Trump administration's undertaking. Now they've reported that about one hundred and fifty thousand migrants have been deported so far, and that's a significant number, but not nearly as high as the President boasted about in the campaign.
Speaker 2: Are those self deported? Are those just overall deportations?
Speaker 14: Those are overall deportations conducted by the government.
Speaker 2: Has the White House clarified if there's going to be a set timeline or deadline for migrants to take advantage.
Speaker 3: Of this offer, not that I've seen.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, Stephen Porton only thank you so much, you back, bye bye. The head of LAX says a minimum wage increase could run off lots of businesses at the airport.
Speaker 12: LA World Airport's CEO, John Ackerman says neither he nor his board have a position on the proposed Olympic wage for hotel and airport workers in LA He says, how however, every airport concessionaire has told them it would be devastating and some would close.
Speaker 10: I think it's going to be challenging to replace them with someone who is miraculously going to do better coming in new.
Speaker 12: The city is considering an incremental increase in the hourly wage for some hotel and airport workers, all the way to thirty dollars an hour by twenty twenty eight. A city council committee is set to vote on that issue today. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 2: A Hepatitis A outbreak has been declared in La County. The Department of Public Health says it's confirmed twenty nine cases so far this year. The total number in twenty twenty four was triple the number in twenty twenty three. The Health department says residents should consider a vaccine if they don't already have one. Appetitis A is a highly contagious liver infection caused by the hepatitis A virus. It can range from a mild illness lasting a few weeks to a severe illness lasting several months. The Animal Services Department in La appears close to having five million dollars restored to its budget, and our director at Neett Ramirez says even the department's public relations team was slated for layoffs, which would have cut down awareness campaigns for adoptions, spanying and neutering, and other initiatives.
Speaker 8: It would, I think have a huge negative impact on our live outcomes. I think it would actually have a direct impact on increasing youth in Asia rates.
Speaker 2: Mayor Bassa's original budget proposal called for a nearly five million dollar reduction in the department's budget, which would have closed three shelters and laid off dozens of workers. The city council will finalize the budget in the coming weeks. Mental health workers at Kaiser Permanente are about to vote on a new contract after nearly seven months on strike. The tenative deal announced yesterday covers about twenty four hundred therapists, social workers, and psychologists in southern California. The union has been pushing for higher pay, more patient more time for patient care, and pension benefits for newer hires. A vote on the proposed contract e set for Thursday. Some pro Palestine protesters have sued LA and the state of California over the police response to college protests. Demonstrators liked demonstrators like David Ramirez, say they suffered injuries last year after being shot with rubber bullets as a camp was forcefully cleared by police.
Speaker 6: That night, I found myself on my hands and eath knees with excruciating pain above my temple, realizing I'd been hit.
Speaker 2: The suit charged targets, the LAPD and the California Highway Patrol. Some demonstrators say they were sent to the hospital because of their injuries. A suspended attorney from Newport Beach has been sensceinnarily two years in federal prison for stealing nearly nine million dollars in a loan fraud scheme. Prosecutors argue Sarah King used that money to keep her lavish lifestyle and gambling habit, but King pleaded guilty in twenty twenty three. Her lawyers said she was suffering from an addiction to xanax and was having ten drinks a day, and she played slot machines in Vegas to maintain her lifestyle. An effort by the US to in the war in Ukraine appears less likely to succeed. ABC Karen Travers says President Trump you issued a deadline last week, giving Ukraine and Russia two weeks to make a deal.
Speaker 5: The President has not answered questions about what would happen at the end of that two week period which is quickly approaching, and what that means for the peace deal going forward. It's also important to note that the United States has been working with Russia and with Ukraine, but those two sides have not yet engaged on a meaningful conversation about reaching a peace settlement.
Speaker 2: Overnight, Russia said it intercepted more than one hundred Ukrainian drones fired at almost a dozen of its regions. Coming up tonight, the Dodgers will take on the Marlins at Dodgers Stadium, with the first pitch at seven. Listen to all Dodgers games on AM five seventy LA Sports and stream all Dodgers games in HD on the iHeartRadio app keyword AM five seventy LA Sports. Zenschi handcrafted sushi made fresh daily at Ralph's near the deli counter. Three leaders of the Los Angeles Firefighters Union have been suspended after a forensic audit uncovered a eight hundred thousand in undocumented credit card charges. The International Association of Firefighters has placed the local union under conservatorship, citing financial malpractice. Union president Freddie Escobar denies the allegations, calling them politically motivated. A hepatitis A outbreak has been declared in La County, with cases already tripled last year's total. Artificials are urging unvaccinated residents to get the shot as the virus is highly contagious. An elementary school in West Hills went on a brief lockdown after a man tried to kidnap a toddler on campus Monday afternoon. The child's family fought him off and ran into a Nadia Way elementary for help. Police responded quickly and gave the all clear. Then at six ZH five its Handle on the News. Tensions are escalating as President Trump meets Canadian tensions are expected to escalate, I should say, as President Trump meets Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney amid a growing trade war, Trump's tariffs and annexation talk have strained relations, while Carney seeks to defend Canada's sovereignty and reset ties. So we'll keep a close eye on that, and I'm sure we'll have a lot to say coming up on Handle on the News. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Governor Newsom has criticized the Republican controlled House for trying to use the Congressional Review Act to challenge California's Clean Car Act.
Speaker 7: The Act allows the state to set its own clean vehicle standards. He argues that the move contradicts tradition and expert opinions. Newsom noted that California has been focused on improving air quality since the Nixon era, achieving a twenty percent reduction in greenhouse gass e mission since the year two thousand, while the economy grew by seventy eight percent. According to Newsom, last year, California power at its grid with clean energy for fifty one days. Tammy Trio KFI News.
Speaker 2: California Democratic Congressman Dave min says he wants more details from the FEDS about a raid by US Immigration and Customs Enforcement in a neighborhood of Irvine. He says he is deeply concerned about reports that ICE agents raided a home in the city. Agents served a warrant Thursday as part of an investigation into alleged doxing attack targeting federal immigration officials. They were apparently looking for the son of the couple that was home during the raid from Shiny Chrome orbs meant to verify your human to social media feeds filled entirely with AI generated content. The digital landscape is shifting fast and now OpenAI has announced it will stay a nonprofit, reversing it will stay a nonprofit, reversing earlier plans to go for profit and joining us to unpack all of this, which I'm like, what did I just say? What am I saying?
Speaker 10: Is?
Speaker 2: ABC needs tech reporter Mike Debuski, Good morning, Mike, Good morning, Heather A good I feel like I'm speaking another language. Chrome orbs. What is this? What are they supposed to do?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so we can start with the Chrome orbs. This comes from a new startup called World and last week in San Francisco, they had an event announcing that they're coming to the United States. They've been operating around the globe for a few years now, and this company's whole goal is to provide a way to prove your humanity online. Something that you can use in banking, something that you can use in e commerce, science and technology fields, on social media. This is a way to definably prove that you are human, World says, and it's necessary, they say, because in the future, everything's going to be dominated by AI generated content. It's going to be very difficult to suss out what's real and what's not, what's made by a person and what is generated by an artificial intelligence.
Speaker 1: So we're going to.
Speaker 6: Need a way to sort of figure that out to definably prove one's personhood. And that makes some degree of sense, right, But what is dividing opinion here is how world is going about doing that. You mentioned the orbs. This is where the orbs come in. The imagine a sort of small bowling ball sized device. It's chrome, and it has a small screen on the front of it. The idea is you approach this ORB as a person, you look into that screen, it scans your eyeball, and then from that scan, it generates a specific biometric identifier that you are supposed to use in your online life. In fact, it's already being used in Japan. Tinder, the dating service, is using these biometric identifiers to verify whether people are real on that platform or not. But as you can imagine, this is raising some privacy concerns as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's talk a little bit about that. What other kind of data are they collecting? I mean, is it just your email and shopping habits or what are they collecting.
Speaker 6: Well, for one, they are taking a picture of your eye, right, that is a piece of your body.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 6: People are a little discomforted by that. There's also sort of, given the chrome orbiness of this whole thing, a little bit of a sci fi black mirror element to this that people are a little uncomfortable with. World, for its part, says, it doesn't store the iris scans internally, right, it deletes them. It just uses that sort of piece of your body to general generate this identifier. Right, that's a string of code that is you know the result of this. But you can imagine, you know, if there's a data breach involved here, if there's a hack or anything like that, you know, you're not just losing a password, You're losing you know, a crucial picture of your human hood, right, your person hood, And that is raising some concerns. People are a little trepidacious about that, it seems. However, for what it's worth, World says since it launched globally two years ago, twelve million people have been scanned so far, and they plan to have seventy five hundred orbs in the US by the end of the year, starting in San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Nashville.
Speaker 2: All Right, so Meta is saying that they're experiment with AI only social media feeds and do people do we really need that? I mean, honestly, I that is the big question with this.
Speaker 6: So they have a new app out. They had a big conference last week about their AI technology. This new app is a place to centralize their AI. So you may have interacted with metas ai in Instagram already or on Facebook. They prompt you to do that pretty aggressively. Now this is a standalone app that's just for its AI stuff. And what sets this apart from other AI apps is that there's a discover tap, basically a social media feed that you can scroll see the pictures that people have generated using AI. You can look at questions that people have asked metas ai and the responses that that AI has given back. It's a really interesting feed to scroll through because there's not really a lot of people there. It's just AI generated stuff. And as you alluded to in the beginning there, that has raised a lot of questions about why people would want to hang out there. If you are really following your friends, you're just following sort of computer generated content. But it's notable though, just because a few weeks ago open ai, the maker of chat gpt, announced that they are working on a social network. So it seems like this is Meta's attempt to get ahead of the game a little bit and get people excited about their own AI tools.
Speaker 2: Okay, quickly, before I let you go, open ai is going to stay a nonprofit and I guess that surprised a lot of people. So what does this really mean for you know, it's business model and any future innovation.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so for a long time, open ai had been trying to transition from a nonprofit into a for profit company. Right now, they have a sort of weird structure where a nonprofit board controls a for profit LLC company, and that's the company that makes chat, gpt and all these other services that you can pay money to use. They wanted to basically get rid of the nonprofit piece of it, and they faced a lot of opposition to that plan, people saying that, you know, this is an attempt by them to shed all of the sort of good hearted goals of the nonprofit to create AI for the good of humanity, to not necessarily put profits first, but rather to develop technology in a safe way. They say getting rid of the nonprofit would basically take the shackles off of open AI and allow them to create any manner of potentially very dangerous technologies. Now they say they're they're abandoning the plan to transition into a for profit company. The nonprofit is going to remain in charge. The LLC will become what's known as a public benefit corporation, which changes around some things with regard to equity, but for the most part, the structure is remaining the same.
Speaker 2: All right, very cool stuff, Mike, Thank you so much for your time this morning.
Speaker 6: Of course, take care.
Speaker 2: All right, it's time to get up in your business. I think I added the get up in your business part of it. Maybe maybe maybe it's just get in their business. Bloomberg's Courtney Dono is here. Good morning, Courtney.
Speaker 10: You know sometimes when I get up and I look at the markets and I look at the trading screen, it looks like I'm getting up in a flight. There you go, there you go getting rough on certain days.
Speaker 2: All right, let's talk about four. They're the latest big name to warn that the trade war is about to do some significant damage. Tell me about that.
Speaker 10: Yeah, well, the car maker has suspended its full your financial guidance, pinning the blame in part on tariff's. Ford also says that duties are going to take a toll on profit, reducing earnings by about one and a half billion dollars. But you have to put all of this in perspective because Ford's tariff exposure is a lot less than its Detroit rivals. We're talking Chrysler, We're talking GM, and that's because eighty percent of the cars that it tells in the US are built here. But shares of Ford are definitely taking a hit in the pre market this morning.
Speaker 2: All right, And it looks like it's the end of the road for Write Aid. What's going on?
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, and this is important. I even call my parents about this one because they go with you write it, and I know there's a lot of people out there who have a lot of questions. So, less than a year after emerging from bankruptcy, the pharmacy chain has filed for Chapter eleven once again. So the company wasn't able to secure more money from lenders in order to continue running the business. So sources telling us that all Right Aid stores will either be closed or sold, and right Aid is working with several regional and national buyers who might be interested in parts of the company, but executives didn't name which firms they were, so big question, what does this mean for your prescription? So for now, you're still going to be able to get your medications if you go to the store, if you're online. However, right Aid does say it's going to work to smoothly move them to other pharmacies.
Speaker 2: And Mattel plans to buy less toys from China. Why is that?
Speaker 10: Yes, they have to. They have to figure out what to do with tariffs. A big Los Angeles company, else Agundo, actually the Barbie and Hot Wheels owner, manufacturers about forty percent of its toys in China. So the company's plan is to buy less than fifteen percent from the nation next year and fewer than ten percent by twenty twenty seven. But the tariffs are weighing on the industry that's already been flowing down. Remember it's surged during the pandemic lockdowns. All these parents are up this saying, all right, I need to get toys entertain my children. Well, when that'll when everybody came back out again after the pandemic, toy sales ended up becoming a lot less. So between the tariffs and that, it's this is a big issue for the company, so they're taking a lot of actions. And one of the things that they are doing, which is unfortunate for a lot of parents out there, they're planning to increase the prices on some toys.
Speaker 2: No, that's definitely news that we don't want to hear. Cortney, thank you so much for your time, and we'll check it with you in tomorrow.
Speaker 10: Definitely see you later, Bye bye.
Speaker 2: I did not know that they had phones. Is that you, guys? Am I totally out of touch? But I did not know. I guess I just assumed they were all very like I don't know. I don't know why. Yes, I guess maybe I was.
Speaker 3: Those are two different parts of the world.
Speaker 2: You're right, you are correct. I don't know why. I was thinking, Wow, they have phones. They're very very modern of them. Yeah, yeah, all right, you guys. That's going to do it for This is KFI and kosd HD two Los Angeles, Orange County live from the KFI twenty four hour Newsroom. We want to say thanks for joining us for producer and producer. Guys, I'm gonna call you producer KNO, I Like It, producer kno and our traffic wizard will Ooh. That's gonna stick around. I'm keeping that for sure. I'm Ether Brooker. Thanks for listening, everybody. This has been your wake up call. If you missed any wake up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 10: You've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King, you can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app