Speaker 1: Unfortunately, devastating news came down today. It was a parent last night, Kyrie irving out for the remainder of the year, torn acl. The struggle continues for MAVs fans. It's just been a tough, tough road. Hard to believe. They were in the finals in June and this thing has just fallen in so many ways. But the Mavericks were they made this move. They traded Luca for ad and the idea was, it's a shorter window, but we feel better about contending in that window. And the idea was this year they'd be a contender, and next year they'd be a contender, and maybe even the next year after that. But it was a short, concise window, and now all of that is in question. As their leader, Kyrie is probably looking at nine to twelve months of rehab, and in an emotional show of just courage and badassery and toughness, he got out there and he shot the free throws even though he had a torn ACL and could put any weight on that leg. Very Kobe esque, you know, the torn achilles getting out there shooting the free throws.
Speaker 2: I love Kyrie, We all love Kyrie. This is heartbreaking for him.
Speaker 1: Personally, and it's just more terrible news for a fan base that probably feels a little bit.
Speaker 2: Like a speed bag right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a great description, Katie. You're in the building last night as a fan. How much cheering did you do?
Speaker 4: There was not a ton, although the kai Jones experience was fun. Yes, as every time he would score, I would I would yell out, goat life. You can look it up if you want. If not, no, that's not a big deal. A long time ago, he had a little social media freak out.
Speaker 3: He had a social media meltdown, but he has received counseling since then.
Speaker 2: Good, he's good. He's young.
Speaker 1: He's twenty four, dude, he's young. He is as you said last night, he's springy.
Speaker 2: He could be a nice piece moving forward.
Speaker 3: Now they don't really have him, but for eleven more games. Oh no, they're good. Oh so they showcase you's gonna be here for at least eleven of the remaining twenty.
Speaker 2: I have to have some players.
Speaker 3: Yeah so, but he is a two way player and he's pro rated because.
Speaker 2: Of when they signed him. When he's twenty one. He had some good tweets.
Speaker 4: It's basically said, I'm the best there ever was, and he called out Lebron and then he would hashtag his tweets with goat life. Yeah, so when he was catching lobs and throwing him down, I was yelling out goat life.
Speaker 3: And if I remember correctly, he asked the Hornage to trade him, so they waved him, which yeah, I remember, and that is against NBA rules to publicly ask for a trade on social media. And I believe he was fined one hundred and fifty thousand dollars, which he probably didn't have at the time.
Speaker 2: Oh no, he was. He was a mid first round pick, so he.
Speaker 3: But hey man, he was young and is apparently on the rebound, as it were.
Speaker 1: When Kyrie first came to the Mavericks, everybody said, there's no way this is going to work. I can't believe this. He even called himself bad goods. He said, that's how he was perceived. I didn't know how it was going to work out. You know, people are like, oh my god, Kyrie's going to tank your franchise. He was the exact opposite of that. He immediately acquiesced to Lucas, said, this is your team. I could be the robin in the sidecar and man, it worked beautifully. And then this year he's taken on so much with Luca being traded, with all the injuries, playing so many minutes, and you know again, he came into last night averaging over thirty in his last seven games. He's so skillful, and he really is a beautiful human being. He's just an amazing person. And just listening to him speak is always enjoyable for me. And you can tell the way that he's revered throughout the league by his teammates and by all of his peers. I mean, this guy is a basketball god in all these different ways, and here he was stepping up for his squad and I just hate it for him personally, but I also hate it for the MAVs fan base, who's really beat up right now. It's there, there's nothing for them to cling on to right now. And then even if you look at it like I mean, so, I know where a lot of people's minds go as they go, Okay, Ken, we get in the lottery and get lucky there. I mean, just looking at it, I think it's probably just as likely that Portland catches you as Phoenix. They've got so much dysfunction going on. I don't know that they want to be on the.
Speaker 3: Floor together, which we may see more of how that plays out. Hell Phoenix might be sitting there going, oh my god, did you see what happened to the Mavericks? Now is our way back in, Let's get it together, and maybe that galvanizes them and they go on some long run. But it's just it's really hard for the Mavericks fan base to have something to latch onto because as the Lakers descend to the two seed, the Mavericks just keep getting one bit of bad news after another. And so the day that the story comes out, I mean it was inevitable that the Mavericks were going to raise ticket prices that didn't have anything to do with anything other than it's a new ownership group and they're putting money into the arena and they're making those tickets a premium. And the day that that new story broke, even more bad news comes your way. And I was just looking up on the TV and I saw, you know, whenever that. So there's reporters that are just plugged in. Guys, right, they don't like break down basketball. They talk to agents and they talked to front office people and they break news. Scham's is one of those guys, and you know, you tend to read between the lines on that stuff. And for him to make the comment that Anthony Davis and his people are going to have to have hard conversations with the Mavericks, that is code for Anthony Davis is about to ask out of you.
Speaker 2: This is what Seams is saying. I'm not saying this.
Speaker 3: Anthony Davis is about to ask out And you know, I'm sure you know you guys have seen lots of commentary. It's like, well, you got to trade aDNA, you got to tear the thing down. There's all this stuff. And in the middle of all that stuff, the Mavericks just got on a plane to fly to Milwaukee. Like those guys, they have to go play twenty more games regardless of who's there. Klay Thompson just signed his first of probably his final deal. You know as an NBA player, he's a Hall of Fame player. He signed here for a title run and there couldn't be anywhere further away from that then right now.
Speaker 1: No, and if if Kyrie's out for twelve months, you know, nine to twelve months is the is the recovery period. You know, he may not be back before even the trade deadline next year. And you know this thing with Shams if Ad is saying if a d if you believe that, is like, okay, They're gonna have some hard conversations. He may not want to miss next year because if Kyrie's not able to play all of the next year, as Ad, you're looking at, I'm at the end of my run here, how do I maximize the final years of my career? I want to go contend. Well without Kyrie, You're not going to contend, presumably, so he may say, trade me to a contender, and then that expedites everything with the Mavericks and they start looking at, okay, are we just looking for young players and bigs? Are we completely rebuilding? You know what happens to some of these other guys. You know, these other guys have one year left and are winning pieces because they were brought here to be a winning piece around Luca. Other teams would have interest in those guys. Who do they go into a complete sell off at that point. It's just it's an amazing turn of events to have them in this situation, just months removed from being in the finals.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is unfathomable. And you know, I'm not this idea that this is some sort of karma. You know, if you're gonna go down that route, that road, then realize it's Kyrie's career that's being punished.
Speaker 2: Like that's that's a really weird in my opinion. What is that I'm not seeing that.
Speaker 3: I've been texted with it constantly. What is it like, Look what Luca did, Look what Nico did to everybody? So this is karma against the franchise. And it's like, I don't go to those places.
Speaker 4: I mean, you could you had to insert a little bit of reality into it. Maybe you could say Kyrie's had to carry a heavier load for the last six weeks, which we've talked.
Speaker 2: About that on the on the actual game, but that was a.
Speaker 1: Freak injury bumping knees with Big Boy to begin with his right knee, which caused him to land awkwardly on his left.
Speaker 3: What the conversation, and I again I'm uneducated about this. What the conversation becomes is when your body is worn down, could it have withstood that in a way? And again, there's a lot of people that are on this side of well, all this wear and tear kills a.
Speaker 4: Lot of the time though on those conversations. Yeah, that was a big thing with Kobe when that happened a long time ago. Is he was playing virtually every minute of all these games, you know. I mean, that's what happened to KD in the finals right when he was with Golden State. So yeah, man, it's just, uh, it had felt the way that they were playing post All Star Break was you know, showed you how difficult it was going to be, like everything's got to go their way, they got to make shots and all this stuff, and so it was already starting to feel heavy, and then that happened, and it just got so heavy. It was overwhelming.
Speaker 3: Like I was looking at the season as all right, they're gonna have they might get all the way up to seven. They're gonna be in the play in and then they're gonna get everybody back, and then they're gonna be the proverbial team that nobody wants to face. And now it's like, man, if they can hang on to a play in spot, they're still not gonna have the guns to move forward.
Speaker 1: No, I they have twenty games left. I mean as a fan, it would be great if they lost all twenty. I know that's hard on the players are gonna go win, They're gonna go bust their ass. You know, these guys, Jason Kidd has them playing hard. But you know who who knows. But if you just if you could fast forward to the draft and you suddenly had a top seven or eight pick, maybe you know, it's certainly better, especially if you are looking at all, right, are we gonna retool the team?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, if you're looking at it that way, any asset would be would be good for you. I was just gonna pull up a of the standings just to see how far you have to fall to get an actual pick that means something to you, right, And really that's so hard to say. It's so hard to say. Like, I'll give you an example. Brooklyn is twenty one and thirty nine. They're in eleventh place in the East. You currently have eleven games on Brooklyn and the overall standings. Yeah, so if you lose all twenty of your games and one of those games is against Brooklyn, by the way, then and Brooklyn goes five hundred, they'll pass you.
Speaker 1: Right, You're probably looking at the best you could possibly get as a tenth pick, and you might end up being like twelve or fourteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, San Antonio is seven games behind you with twenty left right, and they are in thirteenth place.
Speaker 2: There's still New Orleans and Utah behind them.
Speaker 1: And then I think you have your pick after next season, and then after that, I don't think you have a lot of Your twenty seven pick goes to Brooklyn, so you've got twenty six, so you'll have this year and next year's picks. Yeah, if you are in a full on rebuild, but.
Speaker 3: You could be in a position to where like you take this twenty five pick and some players to get a really good player that's a veteran player to stem the tide, and those two guys in a D hold it down until Kyrie comes back, and then you make one last run with the K the I'm just saying KD because he's being out there's going to go.
Speaker 1: If they were healthy, I know that's a huge if, But if they were healthy, I'd like them as much as anyone in the West.
Speaker 3: Sure we saw it for a half yeah, and not even fully healthy, but.
Speaker 2: We when you watch them play with the heavy days for a half, You're like, oh, okay, do you know what that did?
Speaker 3: Now that we're at this point in time, it just made it worse for the fans, right, for them to see a glimpse of that and then never get it right, that's just even more painful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it has been a shocking six week turn of events. As it is a movie, it is.
Speaker 4: It is worse than the brutalless it's a movie that we won't watch terrible Tale.
Speaker 2: It does remind me though, of the intro.
Speaker 4: I'll I haven't seen then know what happens.
Speaker 2: I love the aalysis, turn out the house.
Speaker 5: You're talking about it right now, you're ready.
Speaker 1: Right, ready, ready, ready, time to do one.
Speaker 5: For time quick ef it with ill show you're gonna ruling it, except with similar sweet pursuing it tunneled out Shaw shank through the sewer, Kid, Now what chill in at the Eagle. Yeah, we're doing it. Three o'clock on the dock. Got a habit for my house, a gold status, Howard starting to get crattic shows that up multiplied like a rabbit. Two. Then zone out, creak it up beat the habit.
Speaker 6: I'm on a hang out with friends, rocking.
Speaker 2: On the radio, my bys talking on the radio.
Speaker 1: It's time so to this walk, Oh baby, baby, go kt Christine.
Speaker 5: All the MoMA radio.
Speaker 1: All right, So last night before I went to bed, you know, we all have friends and maybe it's you guys, but we all have friends who are really good on their weather apps. Maybe they're golfers or whatever, but they have the best weather apps and they always have a good handle on the weather situation. So we have a group of we have some people like that in my group and never sent it out group texts, And it was looking like all right, man, around three or four or five in the morning's past, you know this morning, that's when it's going to be potentially really bad for us. And I know in my home, it's hard to get my wife serious about tornado warnings because she's from Oklahoma and she's lived through so many of them that she just she thinks it's like fake weather for ratings, like let's just talk about tornadoes because the ratings.
Speaker 3: Will skyrocket like warnings. Though she doesn't even pay attention to warning.
Speaker 1: Well, like the alarms could be going off and she's like, oh, they have to if like winds are a certain amount there, it doesn't mean, doesn't mean there's a tornado above our house. And there was that one time I kind of filmed one that was very near my house. I was but so I woke up in the middle of the night. The storm woke me up, and I'm like, oh my god, that is loud. And I was like, cat, cat, you know, I this may you know. I'm seeing some text messages our friends are like in their bathrooms or in their hallways. They're making the moves they need to protect themselves to their families. She's like, it's fine, goes back to sleep. So I'm like, what do I do? Do I save myself and my kids? I say, let it crack, right, But ultimately I just fell back asleep.
Speaker 2: She was giving the behavior of someone who doesn't want to be saved. That's right, thank you, that's and.
Speaker 3: That's what a lot of Christians believe, that they don't want to be saved. Did did either of you guys get woken up by bad weather?
Speaker 6: I was woken up by our alarm going off. I guess alarm, Yeah, I guess because the power went out for a split second.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I was a little freaked out because I was the only one awake. It was like five am, and that alarm's going.
Speaker 2: Off, and now when Troy goes to bed close to it.
Speaker 6: And so neither of them woke up. Neither of my roommates woke up to this alarm. It was just me and it was so freaking loud. But yeah, I was kind of scared. I was like, what if someone actually did break in? But Hendrix would have done something anyway.
Speaker 2: Horrible storm is always the best time to break in, so right.
Speaker 6: So yeah, once I kind of realized no, no, no, no, there's a storm. It went off because the lights went out. That's all I dealt with. But there was a tree that went down across the street from me, a pretty big tree.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've got an update at five ten and all the damage through DFW, and it is a lot.
Speaker 2: Did you get damaged? I was good. I was in the clear. Woke up with the siren.
Speaker 4: As you know, it was just going off because of straight line winds that are above fifty mile per hour or whatever it is. But yeah, I got lucky this time. You don't have to replace offense.
Speaker 3: Coming up next, we'll do a Gene Hackman update and I'll tell you the fund that I had in my house at five in the morning.
Speaker 2: We'll do the next