Speaker 1: You're listening to Why we Do what we do. Welcome to Why we do what we do Mini. I am your host Abraham and I'm your host Shane. We are a psychology podcast. We talk about the things that humans and non human animals do. And this is a mini which means it's short, which means we're gonna do a quick discussion about a thing and then it'll be over and you'll be like.
Speaker 2: Hey, that was quick, and then yeah, that's what's happening.
Speaker 3: Yep, that's how it goes. That's usual what minis do.
Speaker 1: Maybe, yes, that's what we aim to do. Sometimes they run a little long. But today we are talking about something very silly and fun and whimsical and hopefully that leaves you feeling fun and silly and whimsical too.
Speaker 4: Yes, today we're talking about mosh pits, yeah, which is something that I have been exposed to more than half my life.
Speaker 1: I have some questions for you about your experiences here, but before we jump into this, I would like to tell all of you listeners that if you are joining us for the first time, then welcome. We hope you like what you hear in this discussion. And if you're a returning person, then welcome back. Thanks for continuing to check us out. And either way, if you'd like to support us, you can join us on Patreon, leave us a rating and a review like subscribe, Tell a friend. I'll talk more about that at the end of this discussion, but this is a mini so we need to jump into it. So topic du jour mosh pits. Many people, possibly probably many listeners of this podcast. We'll have some fond memories of going to rock concerts and then going crazy in the moshpit also just called a pit, yeah, or the pit. And for those of you who are uninitiated who may be not clear on what we're saying when we describe a mosh pit, this is a in a concert like area where you have usually a band playing, they're this sort of dancing area in the middle quote unquote dancing and this is a place in the crowd where people are sort of aggressively throwing their bodies around at each other with the music. Its directly corresponds with the music and usually the vibe of the music at the time.
Speaker 4: Yes, so unfortunately, in some situations can be very dangerous depending on the band, the location, the people in the moshpit. There's lots of factors that play in a role in here, but we're going to unpack the history and evolution of moshpits and kind of where it started, which is going.
Speaker 3: To be a lot of fun. I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I think we're ready to dive in. Unless there's anything that I'm missing or you'd.
Speaker 2: Like to add, no, we can.
Speaker 3: I think we can do it.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So, although we are going to describe some of the dangers in general, I think we have some fond feelings about these. So please don't interpret our naysaying as naysaying. It's just being comprehensive in our analysis here. Now, moshpitz started to emerge as slam dancing in the late nineteen seventies early nineteen eighties. That's at least what people sort of think is probably the timeline there, and this was largely, if not exclusively, performed during live music performances, most often by punk, metal and hardcore or hard rock music groups.
Speaker 4: Yes, some believe it started in LA and the US, specificly Los Angeles, but quickly spread across the country and then internationally within a year or two. The word mash likely comes from people calling it mashing, it turned into mash over time. Some credit this changed the DC based hardcore band Scream, whose singer Pete Stall called on people to mash but maybe was sometimes unclear and whatnot. Also fun fact about Scream, their drummer went on to play drums in a very famous band called Nirvana.
Speaker 2: Oh that's fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Dave Grohl was their drummer. Dave Grole quit Scream to join Nirvana.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, yeah, see, I mean we've talked about in our English accents how a common way to hear an a sound sometimes is an awe sound. So if they said mash, but what people heard was mash and it turned into mash, at least some people believe that's that where the term morphed. It could also be that just sort of changed over time from mash to mosh because that just sounded fun. Yeah yeah, who knows, but that's where the name sort of comes from. The first quote unquote dance move associated with moshpits is called the pogo, which I saw largely credited to said Vicious. But this is simply jumping up and down as if on a pogo stick. I imagine people have been doing this long before said vicious, And I'm not sure that this exactly falls in line with what I would think of as a mosh pit, but that's where a lot of people describing mosh pits start is with this dance move where you're sort of bouncing up and down. Most people think of physical contact with others as sort of the defining feature of a mosh pit.
Speaker 2: You're sort of pushing up against each other.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there are some great clips from there's a movie called The Decline of Western Civilization and there's some really great clips of like punks in La describing slam dancing and the different moves and whatnot. It's really great, like tutorial fun for this, and it's just really funny because you're like it captures such a particular time, which, for those of you don't know, the reason this is likely the reason it likely started in La this is kind of slam dancing is because the La punk scene was incredibly violent, Like it was people were getting hurt all the time. They were also fighting all the cops because the cops were like rating all their shows for no reason. Like, it was an incredibly violent scene in the late seventies and early nineties. So mashing makes sense as a byproduct of La punk.
Speaker 2: At the time, So yeah, I gotcha.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a whole thing.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: In a pit, people will generally slam their bodies into each other in a kind of jumping pushing motion, but they aren't usually trying to go anywhere. Instead, it's just kind of a centralized area of the crowd full of writhing, pushing people. That usually takes somewhat of a circular form. It kind of opens up and like there's like a circle in the middle of the floor and people are kind of bumping into each other and pushing into each other in that space.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And to that end, mosh pits tend to have two main forms. There are actually many different like forms of mashing, but you sort of have either a circle pit or a wall of death as sort of how these are off and described. The circle pit usually involves people pushing and jumping against each other in a way that a large circle in the audience sort of is rotating in a clockwise direction. So to help illustrate that, if you are like far away from the stage and then you enter the circle pit, eventually as you're moving around sort of the perimeter of the pit you'll get closer to the stage, and as you keep moving, you'll be further away from the stage. Again, you just are going sort of moving in. You're not spinning in circles in place. You're like following a large crowd that's rotating in a circle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, usually counterclockwise.
Speaker 4: Yes, there was a study that just came out that said that circle pits almost never go clockwise. They almost always go counterclockwise.
Speaker 2: Something about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they almost always go counterclockwise for whatever reason. And then in the middle of the circle pit, that's usually kind of open. There's usually only a few people in there. It's not a lot of act of actual bodies in the very middle. They're kind of all around the perimeter pushing around in sort of a circular counterclockwise motion.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there is usually somebody in the middle. They're holding up a sign with an ad on it.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're back. We've been describing the circle pit as a version of this. There's like different types of moves and ways of this can exist, but sort of broad categories. You have circle pit and wall of death, and we just talked about the circle pit, which means.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you go in a circle, right, it was just fun. Now, the wall of death is a lot of fun. Where people will line up against either the left side or the right side of the crowd. They'll face each other and their perpendicular to the stage, the middle is very open, and then what they'll do is they'll rush at each other like soldiers at battle and collide in the middle and push and shove and do those kinds of things. Knocked Loose does this at every one of their shows, so you can see clips of like, Yeah, you can see clips of like Knock Loose setting up walls of death in their shows and then watching people run on each other and you might be going, well, why, And that's just part of the fun it is.
Speaker 1: And we'll kind of get to that as we go. There is also a more extreme version of washing that you might see at shows, particularly of like hardcore bands, and these sort of quote unquote dance moves are called crowd killing. Yeah, and these are a lot more intense. These are people throwing actual karate kicks and punches. They're doing arm swings, kicking, stomping, flailing, and sometimes downright acrobatic moves such as backflips. These look very aggressive, like you do not want to get close to someone who is doing this, because it's intended to be aggressive, Like they're creating a sort of perimeter of space around them that like if you get within that space, you're likely to get punched or kicked. And not that they're directing anyone, they're just throwing these moves about all over the place.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I have been the person rendering first aid to people being struck by some of these folks on more than one occasion. Yeah, you know, for a long time, I kept the first aid kit in my card, not because I work in behavior analysis, but because I go to hardcore shows. It's not my favorite thing. I don't like it. Yeah, we're gonna say too, like I think it's just like one of those things I don't I just like it. But like having been a hardcore kid for a long time, like that was something that was just we see it all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's kind of fun to watch.
Speaker 1: I mean, not someone get hit, but like someone just like throwing these kicks and punches can be a little bit entertaining. And like I also you kind of feel for as we're going to get into this, like someone's like sew into the music they're just like expressing themselves in that way. So it's like, I don't necessarily want to completely shut it down, but it's not my I don't particularly want to be around it, and I don't want people to get hurt by it either. So the preferred mosh pit for me is a circle pit.
Speaker 4: I think, Yeah, I like a good circle pit. I also prefer stage diving, but right now, my old age, like I'm like, I think I just like sitting in the back and just watch it. Yeah, like, let's go with that right now, I'm at that age, you know, or I like to be in the band playing, like that's what I prefer right now.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, that's great.
Speaker 4: So now the dancing that we're describing, like it varies a lot, Like, you know, we talked about the circle pit, we talked about the wall of death, we talked about hard coordiencing, we talked about people kind of throwing their bodies into one another and whatever it looks like, right, there's lots of different ways to do this. We didn't even talk about skanking. We're going to that's okay, good, perfect, I'm so glad we are. So the dancing is largely express as a positive reaction to the band's energy and music and feeds off of the band's enthusiastic performances, which also feeds off of the crowds enthusiastic response. So there's kind of like a given a take in it back and forth. That definitely plays a role. Like I've played in bands where people have not showed up, not participated, and it's really difficult to get to try to drum up the energy right to get the people responding. But when you play a show and people are responding and responding, well, you're like, okay, I get it. Like it's intoxicating almost Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think there's an element of the sort of the physical contact with people that's usually like it's a little rough, but most of the time it's not too uncomfortable, and it's like the adrenaline and you got your energy's pumping and you're jumping and you're moving, and like, I think that's a large part of what people enjoy about it. And it's like to music you really like that you feel really passionately about and you're just like you're getting all the feels going on and it's just fun to get in there. I historically have pretty much exclusively avoided moshpitz. I think I've been in one or two in my days, but I just I don't like being assaulted. I don't like being hurt or pushed or kicked, and so I just never wanted to be in those situations. So I usually when I was younger, I would put myself as close to the front as possible because usually the very front is immune to the mosh pit, or i'd put myself to the side of the back. Anymore, I'm pretty happy in the back, just being away, just being able to enjoy the live performance without being crushed or punched or kicked.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, exactly, exactly.
Speaker 1: Worth noting that there is some significant risk involved sometimes. As a couple of stories, a seventeen year old girl was seriously injured and a mashpit at get this, a Smashing Pumpkins concert in nineteen ninety six, and she did I.
Speaker 3: Could see that. I could see that.
Speaker 2: Six. Yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: She did later die of her injuries at the hospital. And another Smashing Pumpkins fan died in a mash pit in two thousand and seven, which is horrible. There were seven other moshpit deaths between nineteen ninety four and two thousand and six. And there are also deaths due to like crowd rushing that are not necessarily sarily related to pits. So if you look up some of the recent like crowd issues where people died, they were usually like the crowd was rushing a stage or there were rushing a venue and people got crushed against the doors and they were asphyxiated. But it wasn't actually a pit as part of the concert. But people have died in these, People have been injured in these and taken to the hospital. Bones have been broken, people have been stabbed or hit with heavy equipment like crowbars and stuff. So it's they can be dangerous and again not something we would ever advocate for in that way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I played a show one time where somebody brought a chainsaw.
Speaker 3: Into the pit.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, no, thank you.
Speaker 4: They tried to kill our guitar player as a whole thing. Wow, that's a story for a different day. I think that's something that's really important to know is like there's a couple things, like there are a lot of social rules with this, Like so when you are like in a mosh pit, like there is like an unspoken rule that like you make sure if somebody falls, you pick them up. Like, if somebody gets hurt, you help them out. Like there are some like unspoken rules inside of this that I don't think that we we talk about as much, but I do. It is important to know those, Like even though they appear to be very unsafe, and they can be unsafe, there is also like that level of protection too, there's like an unspoken understanding the people who don't follow those rules are often tossed in those situations too. And also too, the band plays a huge part of this, like bands do a great job of trying to coach audiences to be respectful to one another in the pit and specifically requested if someone falls down that they help pick them back up. Many rock bands explicitly condemned moshing and request their audience abstained from doing so during their performances.
Speaker 3: Which is interesting.
Speaker 4: Scott notably has a very anti mosh approach, instead advocating for skanking or circle pits, depending on the faster songs. Yeah, but skanking is more of a form where you're kind of like skip kicking, and it's never aimed at another person and it's the most fun.
Speaker 1: Yes, skaking is very harmless and very whimsical looking and is actually pretty fun. Yeah, if you're going to do a form of dancing, and that's definitely one I would be more interested in. But yeah, so, as you said, there's sort of a code of ethics here, most people to abide by those. There are a lot more mosh pits that happen on a very regular basis and that end with nobody being injured, and I definitely would advocate for that, and so more power to you if that's a way that you can pull this off. Interestingly, despite beginning in various forms of rock music and pretty much existing exclusively there for a while, it was like largely confined to those types of performances for like the last forty years, but apparently lately mashing has started emerging as a dance form in hip hop and rap concerts as well, So the trend is spreading to be more of a concert going experience regardless of the type of performer who's up there, which is kind of interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's really fascinating.
Speaker 4: So I guess the moral story is be kind to each other and mash on, like, have fun, be safe, just know that there are some unspoken rules and just know that there is a risk, you know. So for me as a forty year old aging punk being in a band or standing in the back, that.
Speaker 3: Works for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: If you're younger and you have good health insurance, then go ahead and get in the moshpit.
Speaker 2: You should be good hopefully.
Speaker 1: Yeah. All right, I think that's what we have to say about mospitz. If you'd like to tell us your thoughts, you can email us directly by writing to us at info at wwdwwdpodcast dot com or reaching out to us on the social media platforms, and we do look forward to hearing from you. You can support us by leaving us a rating and a review, give us nice five or ten stars, however many stars or just the thumbs up. If that's the option that helps us out a lot. You can tell a friend join us on Patreon. You get bonus content, ad free episodes, early episodes, and I will read your name in the list of supporters at the end of our full length discussions. But we got to close this out because it's a mini and we're right at our time. So thank you all for listening. Thank you to my team of people, Thank you for recording with me today.
Speaker 3: Shane, Hey anytime. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Is there anything I miss or that you would like to add before we close this one out?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: I think that covers it all right.
Speaker 2: This is Abraham and this is Shane. Why We Do What We Do Mini is out.
Speaker 3: Bye. You've been listening to Why We Do What We Do.
Speaker 4: You can learn more about this and other episodes by going to WWD WWD.
Speaker 2: Podcas cats dot com.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening and we hope you have an awesome day