Speaker 1: When I think of out of control rock stars, I immediately think of Willy B. From our sister station over there on KVP. I JK, You're not an out of control rock star anymore.
Speaker 2: No. Well, you know, since the kids, I've calmed down a little bit. Some would say, but.
Speaker 3: What a sad day, man.
Speaker 2: I got the news just a minute ago too, and I was blown away by you know, his farewell show was just a couple weeks ago.
Speaker 1: We looked it up July fifth, so seventeen days ago he had his farewell concert. And think about this, though, Willy like talk about a guy who did it on his own terms from start to finish, right, I mean, this guy was He was the original Madman, you know what I mean? And I remember, and you grew.
Speaker 4: Up in the Bible Belt as well. I know where you grew up and.
Speaker 2: Why records backwards more than any youth group in Kentucky. I'm telling you, it's crazy to me that the Prince of Darkness gave the biggest contribution to his local children's house, Little Hand to Fit Parkinsons, and he gave the biggest contributes one hundred and ninety million from that concert, A couple of weeks ago to several charities. It was the largest charitable donation ever. And that was the same guy that in youth group we would play his records backwards over and over, and Billy, my youth leader, was just hard struck on the fact that he was saying things about the Devil or you know, things like that. I look at it now and I can't believe I'm stealing shocked like everybody.
Speaker 4: Else, you know, the whole story. The reason that he was considered.
Speaker 1: To be like the devil was partly because he bit the head off of a bat, which may or may not have happened exactly like the word got out. But to the point that I made earlier, which he was trying to get He was trying to break through, right.
Speaker 4: And and so what does he do.
Speaker 1: He acts like a maniac and it worked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know the story about that somebody he thought it was a rubber bat and somebody threw it up on stags and he just grabbed it and bit it. It was. It was a real bath.
Speaker 4: God, I gives you the creeps just thinking about it. I mean gross.
Speaker 3: But if you think about the pop culture, the MPD had the Osbourne for how many years. Yeah, if you think about all the things that occurred around that man's life, the influence that he had on every band in rock and roll, Every band you know that I've heard of in years they label they'll.
Speaker 2: Put Black Sabbaths, and Ozzy is a big influence. So, I mean, he's influenced everybody in rock and road for decades now. It's just insane.
Speaker 1: Well not only that, nobody else sounds like Ozzy, right, I mean, he's just nobody else sounds like Ozzy. Nobody sounded like Black Sabbath. And it kind of felt and I just said this to Nia. I think the reason that this is kind of a shocking death even though he's had Parkinson's disease and he's really been a physical hot mess for like years now, this is not a new thing. But he felt like he was just never going to die, Like he's Keith Richards and you're just never going to die. And of course my first thought is like, where does Ozzy end up, like in the grand scheme of the afterlife?
Speaker 4: Right, Like where does that? Because you have to wonder, you.
Speaker 2: Know, I have no idea, man, I just can't believe the fans, the people that you know that that shock wave is going to take. The first ripple is just now occurring, but I imagine the sweep across the country, the globe, the world. You look at the millions of people that he influenced, fans, every you know, kid that picked up a guitar when it be you know, Black Sabbath or Ozzy of the kid, Uh, you know, I mean, his influence and his footprint is just gargantuan in in this industry, so much bigger than what people you know, initially think with everything. And it's just a wild day in rock because, like you said, you just didn't think that guy was ever going to die. He's been through so much.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and and you know, to your point, I'm looking at right now, when did Black Sabbath begin? Okay, Night teen sixty eight really is when Black Sabbath started being a band?
Speaker 4: Right, So that means.
Speaker 1: That they are only a year older than me, right, and.
Speaker 5: I'm old, I'm fifty five about doing fifty six, and that to have that kind of stamina and to continue to have the kind of visibility to kind of to continue to matter, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: The relevance to be able to still command you know, the crowds that just the bravado around Ozzy is a mitch right everything that he kind of does and as weird as he you know, he stumbles through sentences sometimes and other times. I've interviewed him once and it was so funny because one question you would ask him and he'd.
Speaker 6: Be like, well, I I think about this, I'm not sure about that, Yes, I like a car, And then the next one you would ask him, but he would just be completely clear, very cognitive, you know, sharp, and just just like.
Speaker 2: You were, just like, wow, he's on his game. And then next one and it would be off the rails. He's been like that for decades. But I mean, the man is such a figure and metal and rock and has had such influence. He's just hard. It's hard to think of him as not being around anymore. So when he just, you know, he said before that Farewell Show, because initially that Farewell Show is unique. It was weird because he was going to play a set with Black Sabbage and going to do his own set, and as time went on, his time on stage got whittled down to the point where he just did like three to five songs. I think on that Farewell Show a lot of people pay tribute to him, but he said he wanted to die on stage. You know what, he almost did?
Speaker 4: He did. I mean that's I don't know.
Speaker 1: We should all be so lucky as to be able to do what we love and do it until the very end and then die surrounded by our loved ones.
Speaker 2: Come on, I mean, he's he's I hate to say this, but he's a darker vers Cash.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in a weird way. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I guess that that's very right, very right, very similar trajectories in different genres of music. Well, we'll be I know that you're gonna be talking about him tomorrow in your morning show on kpp I. So if people want to have more reminiscence about Ozzy, uh man, this one's.
Speaker 4: Gonna leave am Mark though, Willie huge. All right, man, I'll talk to you later.
Speaker 2: Bye,