Speaker 1: One thing about this gene is the invisible and tangibles that they have.
Speaker 2: This team is really becoming a family.
Speaker 3: Let's not play one on tone.
Speaker 1: Let's wind it. I love writing me these guys after the show. So just thank you, give me are.
Speaker 4: Your attention, your fire and not a pisson.
Speaker 5: This is world champion, Dodger, world champion.
Speaker 6: Thing here for the small soft time they get up people what they want to die.
Speaker 4: Too in a row two is special. I'm like, yeah, it's not a headache.
Speaker 7: One of a con.
Speaker 4: This ball's gone. You ready to go?
Speaker 8: Sure, Hell time go to the sun.
Speaker 5: Grab your phone to get in on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seven and go to the show. And now your host of Dodger Talk, David.
Speaker 4: Vasse, Welcome to Dodger Talk.
Speaker 6: David Fast say with you until eleven thirty tonight. Taking your phone calls at eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy, we will hear from Vin Scully. I'll share a conversation we had back in twenty sixteen when the Dodgers changed their address to one thousand Vin Scully Avenue. I thought it was fitting since tonight was Vin Scully Bobblehead night, a blowout loss, a disappointing loss, and Mark Kotze got me sick last week after I interviewed him.
Speaker 4: So the voice is a.
Speaker 6: Little shaky tonight, but we are going to get through it like the Dodgers got through tonight's game.
Speaker 4: Jose Mota is going to join us at.
Speaker 6: The top of the hour. We'll get his thoughts on what he saw tonight. But obviously this game did not start off great, as Hay Sung Kim lost a fly ball in the dusk of the evening here at Dodgers Stadium, only his second major league start, coincidentally against the Diamondbacks, And when we saw him play in Chase Field, he didn't look that comfortable out there either, and certainly in the first inning tonight he did not look comfortable. But Dave Roberts gave his explanation in the press conference that because Tommy Edman is coming back from injury, they did not want to have Tommy Edman out there again in center field. Edmund's gonna get a day off tomorrow since the Dodgers want to keep that right ankle.
Speaker 4: As healthy as possible.
Speaker 6: And look, if you're going to release Chris Taylor and have Hayes Sung Kim take his role and get more playing time. He's going to have to play center field now after seeing what we saw tonight. Will the Dodgers play him out there again?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Probably they will because they want to get him acclimated out there because he may be needed.
Speaker 4: Andy pa has got the night off tonight.
Speaker 6: At this point in time, I would say Kim is the fourth best center fielder on the team, behind Key k Hernandez, behind Andy Pajes, behind Tommy Edman, and then he got Hayesung Kim. He's an elite infielder, but so far hasn't looked great out there in center field in a small sample size.
Speaker 4: And that's what this is for.
Speaker 6: The Dodgers still have the best record in the NL West and are still in first place. They want to see what they got with Kim and whether or not he can handle that position on nights like tonight. Tonight reminded me and I hate to bring this up because what I'm going to reference was a playoff game which had a lot more significance than what we saw tonight in a regular season game in the middle of May. But the way the momentum snowballed on the Dodgers after Kim dropped that ball and opened the door for two runs in the first inning. It kind of reminded me of when James Outman box the first fly ball of Game one of the twenty twenty three NLDS against the Arizona Diamondbacks and they went on to score six runs and then proceeded to sweep the Dodgers in the NLDS.
Speaker 4: That's what it reminded me of. And uh, you know, there are.
Speaker 6: Certain parallels to those two things, and what it cost the Dodgers in Game one of the twenty three NLDS and what it cost them in that series. And you know, obviously, like I said, the significance of tonight is not as great as what it was in Game one of the twenty three n LDS, but it reminded me of that eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number the opener Landon Nack Longman game plan tonight did.
Speaker 4: Not work out as Jack Dryer.
Speaker 6: And Landon Nack did go seven innings, which did help the bullpen in that respect, but they did give up seven earned runs combined in seven innings. Landon Neck gave up two of the three home runs hit tonight by Arizona, three two run home runs through one hundred and six pitches in five middle innings tonight, and gave up four earned runs in that third inning. Let's head downstairs right now to hear from Land and Neck.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, obviously early on, just execution just wasn't there. I mean, yeah, we just kind of leaving some pitches over the middle, like getting to some deep counts, just not really executing what we needed to, and they took advantage of a couple of mistakes. I mean, they definitely didn't miss those, and so just very frustrating early on to put us kind of in that situation. I was glad eventually we locked it into kind of as we kept going and provide a little bit of length, but you know, just bad execution early on and just got to be better.
Speaker 5: Flink to your head when you are trying to lock back in though, because I mean, to be able to, like you said, provide some length and even find different ways to I imagine protect the bullpen had to have at least been encouraging.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure, I mean I was. I basically came in. It was Lenna, like, just ride me as long as you can to save that pen a little bit. I mean, I just as we were kind of going forward, just trying to find the adjustment quick as I could. I mean, obviously firstending it didn't quite make it in time, and so but was able to kind of make it a little bit better after that and start kind of getting back to the attack and kind of executing after that. So it was glad to at least be able to push a little deeper to save them a little bit. Frustrated stretch has it been just sort of considering how much the bullpen has had to throw this year? Yeah, it's been frustrating. I mean early on, especially in games, just kind of the inconsistency and for me right now, just trying to keep things where they need to be, keeping the attack, I mean, the deep counts and walks. I mean, it's just not me and so been frustrating and continuing to try to push that forward and just try to build off of the throw that we had at the end of that and just stay on the attack.
Speaker 6: All right, there's landon NAC and thanks to sports net LA for bringing us Landon Nac, who has done everything that Dodgers have asked of him, be his starting pitcher, come out of the bullpen to close out games in a three inning safe situationuation to being the bulk innings guy tonight. And uh, obviously he has a great spirit about him. It just wasn't his night tonight. And he didn't get into rhythm quick enough. Because when you come into a game and you're already losing, Uh, that's tough for you to ease into it. And the Dodgers were down three to nothing and then turn into a seven nothing game in the third inning. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Danny who is at Dodgers Stadium tonight.
Speaker 4: Hi, Danny, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 9: Hey Dave, thank you for getting me on.
Speaker 1: I thank you for being here.
Speaker 9: Well, of course, man, where where else where else am I gonna be? Dave scept watching the Dodgers, you know, blow games and drop five balls in the outfield. Oh no, but that's what happened. That's what happened, right, That was that was a can of corn. And you know what, I don't blame Kim. I don't blame Kim because he doesn't belong out there. He's not an outfielder, you know, to my knowledge, he was a really good infielder in Korea, a star player, and very little outfield and he's kind of getting force bet into trying to not just be an outfielder, but be a center fielder. That's not an easy position.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 9: They just sent down the best at center fielders they have in James Outman. They're running out Confordo every day in left field, and he's taking up a spot out there. And Porto's got something like one hundred and fifty at bats. He's got no confidence out the plate. I don't know why they kept hold of him. You know, they can't. They're not afraid to let go of Chris Taylor and eat that salary. Well, well, maybe he just start to think about eating Comforta's salary too. With the kind of performance that he's giving them night and night out and they're sending them out there every single day.
Speaker 1: Kim is not an out.
Speaker 6: I agree with you, Danny, and I think that's going to change. I think if this continues, Michael Confordo is going to start losing at bats, especially with Tommy Edmin and Ti Oscar Hernandez back as well as the way Andy Paie has is swinging the bats.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I would.
Speaker 6: I would imagine the Dodgers are going to take a long, hard look, not at cutting Michael Confordo. But you know, obviously, if he doesn't turn it around here soon, he's not going to get as many at bats.
Speaker 9: Well, if he's not starting that, I don't know what he's doing on the team, Dave, So they got consider all.
Speaker 4: I didn't.
Speaker 6: I said they're gonna take I said they were gonna take at bats away. His at bats are not going to be as plentiful as they are right now.
Speaker 9: Well, I think he's doing that to himself. But they got a big hole in center field and they need to figure out.
Speaker 6: And number one, Number one, your first statement, I completely disagree with James Outman is not the best center fielder on the Dodgers.
Speaker 9: Okay, I can four others.
Speaker 4: I can name four others. Do you want to hear them better in the field?
Speaker 9: Better in the field.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I take Hernandez, Tommy Edman, and Andy pat has over him defensively.
Speaker 1: No, come on, come on, Dave Hey.
Speaker 4: Yes, come on, Danny, come on, Danny, I'll give you.
Speaker 9: I'll give you Edmond, but PA has out there in the field. Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 4: No, I'm wrong. You're just flat out wrong. You're wrong. Sorry, and you just talked around in circles. You're absolutely wrong.
Speaker 6: Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Tyson and Newport Beach. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Tyson?
Speaker 4: Sorry?
Speaker 6: Do you want to rank your best who you think is the best defensive center fielders on the Dodgers right now?
Speaker 1: Tell Danny? Preached to Danny.
Speaker 4: Definitely too many Christmas.
Speaker 1: I don't know, They're all like, just.
Speaker 4: Move on, Tyson.
Speaker 10: Similar But I was going to talk about how the Dodgers a lot of people make the argue that they have a lot of pitching injuries, dude playoffs, which is partially true. But I also wanted to point out how other teams, like the Phillies who have made deep runs in years past. You know their horses Wheeler Nola. You almost never see the missis start. And they're both guys too, so those.
Speaker 6: Are starters, are starters, and yeah, those guys serve a purpose and their horses, like you said, but we're talking about relievers, and when they're used as much as they were used last year, and the Dodgers come back quicker than anybody else in baseball to have the shortest off season, there's going to be a tax to be paid, and they're paying it.
Speaker 4: Thanks for the phone call, Tyson.
Speaker 6: And by the way, I've been seeing this list circulate on social media about the twelve injured pitchers the Dodgers have on the injured list. Well, let's just it's a little misleading because Gavin Stone was going to be out all year long, River Ryan out all year long, Emmit Sheen is coming back the second half of the year, Michael Grove injured in spring training, you got last now and Snell on their way back. They were hurt in the middle of the year at Guardo Enriquez. That's not an arm injury. So that's a little misleading when I see that stuff online. Let's go on to Newport Beach. Ken, You're on Dodger Talk Live from Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 1: Hi, Ken, Hi, David. You don't sound good.
Speaker 6: I was interviewing Mark Cotsee for the pregame show. He sounded like he had a little bug and I was like dangish, I'm gonna get sick right now, So I got a.
Speaker 1: Little he and I want to take a day off. And by the way, thanks.
Speaker 4: A lot for the advice Ken.
Speaker 6: I'll get I'll get a doctor's note from Ken and Newport Beach.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I've been I've been sick off and on here for the last couple of weeks, so.
Speaker 4: I know it's been going around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, So, and I heard Dave's reason. But your second base is playing center field after missing two balls in the prior game, your centerfield was playing second base, which doesn't make any sense. You're well holder on.
Speaker 6: I mean, Tommy Edmin is a second He's he's a lead at second, short and center as we saw last year.
Speaker 4: So you can't just put it in the bucket of second base.
Speaker 1: No, but you don't want to. You don't want to see that guy playing the center every again. That was out there today.
Speaker 6: Oh, I mean, I agree with you. I don't think that he's comfortable out there. And I bet that was the first time he had seen center field at Dodger Stadium at seven to ten, where it's dusk and certainly more difficult if you don't have experience out there. You could take as many fly balls as you want. That's a different time of night.
Speaker 1: Well some of the things. Knack now has a sixth sixteen ERA and Confortlenforto in one hundred and forty games has six RBIs one hundred and forty at bats up. Sorry, he has six RBIs. I think it's time for him to go away.
Speaker 6: And the other one way is like completely go away or go away to the bench.
Speaker 1: Let's not start. He needs a play left game, maybe he'll get better.
Speaker 4: I agree.
Speaker 1: Well, here's the thing we you know, we got two more games with Arizona, who's been really playing good. Then they go and play the Yankees, so I guarantee you're angry, and then they play the Mets for forty four games. By the way, the Dodgers pitchers ERA is four nineteen. The Mets pitchers ERA is two eighty six. This could be a really rough rest of this month. And I don't think the Dodgers are going to be in first place from June first. Would you look who they're going to play, and they'll lack a pitcher.
Speaker 6: That's possible, But does it matter if they're in first place on June first? Or does it matter if they're in first place at the end of the season, because we saw the storm last year, right with their position players, how depleted they were, with Freddie obviously stepping away from the team, Mookie.
Speaker 4: Out for a period of time.
Speaker 6: So the Dodgers were playing Cavin Bigio and Taylor Tremmel after the All Star break a lot, and this reminds me of that with their pitching staff right now. So I agree with you on the front that right now is not a great time for the Dodgers, and the schedule is getting tougher starting with this series and on the upcoming road trip and when they return home on the homestand but it all starts with starting pitching. Ken, They've got to get Betty better starting pitching.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that ruins the whole thing. I used to be a pitcher at high school and college, or I understand that if you're picture's not pitching seventy percent of the game, eventually you're gonna run out of herlievers and they're gonna be tired and they're gonna get hit. And that's what's going on all.
Speaker 6: Right, Ken, thank you for the phone call. Let's go out to JJ in Beaumont. Thanks for being patient.
Speaker 4: JJ. You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 11: Hey, my pleasure. Excuse my voice, you know, excuse you know, the Dodgers for losses in a row. So with that stuffs tomorrow, you know, motors on the mound. We're gonna win tomorrow and uh we'll turn the tired. So I'm not worried about him. Like I said, I really listen now and in October, so who'll be fine?
Speaker 6: And all right, Thanks for the phone call, JJ. Keep rooting on the Dodgers. They have a great team and uh, they certainly will be there at the end, no doubt about it.
Speaker 4: Thanks for the phone call, JJ, I appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Eight sixty six seven two five seventy is the phone number. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we come back, we'll check in with Jose Mota and also more of your phone calls, and you'll hear my conversation with the Great Vin Scully in twenty sixteen after the Dodgers changed the address of one thousand Alesion Park Avenue to one thousand Vin Scully Avenue. So we'll reshare that because tonight was a celebration of Vin Scully. Unfortunately, the Dodgers could not come up with the win as they fall to the Diamondbacks nine to five on A five seventy LA.
Speaker 5: Sports on air at AM five seventy, online at AM five seventy LA sports dot com, and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app. This is Dodger Talk with David Bassan.
Speaker 8: On this one to one.
Speaker 12: Oh Tony swings it hits a hog drive.
Speaker 8: To the left, heads up in the pavilion, Show Hay's coming solo home run Show, hey Otani his seventeenth of the season, second solo shot against Brandon Fought, and now the Dodgers are within five. It's seven to two.
Speaker 6: That was the front end of back to back home runs by sho heo Tani and Mookie Betts in the bottom of the sixth inning. That was the first time this year the Dodgers have hit back to back home runs. Number seventeen for sho Heotani, which leads Major League Baseball. Mookie Betts a pair of home runs tonight. Those were his first two home runs of this homestand and the head was a lot more steady tonight in the batter's box than what I have observed during this entire homestand not only in the games, but also batting practice.
Speaker 4: Daniel S.
Speaker 6: Jewelers presents the home run forecast. Go to AM five to seventy lap dot com use the keyword home run for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card predicting the number of home runs in the next game. Daniels Jewelers owned the dream. The Dodgers faull tonight nine to five to the Arizona Diamondbacks. But I love what I saw in the ninth inning and who else ta Oscar Hernandez, first game back off the injured list.
Speaker 4: The guy loves to play baseball and he's.
Speaker 6: Not giving up on any game, in any score, and that was evident. With two outs in the top of the ninth inning, Josh Naylor thought he had the Diamondbacks fourth home run of the night, but Taoscar Hernandez, in a nine to three game, not conceding anything, leaped up in front of the out of town scoreboard and rob Naeler of.
Speaker 4: What would have been a home run.
Speaker 6: A wall scraper, nonetheless, and that kind of set the tone for the Dodgers to come back in the bottom of the ninth inning, but stall out after scoring two runs in the ninth So Taoscar Hernandez. He did that in the postseason last year in San Diego, despite the Dodgers losing six to five in Game two. That in Game three of that series, and he hit a grand Slam and made the score six to five. That was a lot different than years past. The Dodgers would have just conceded that game. But again, Taiascar Hernandez means so much to this team and thankfully the Dodgers brought him back. Let's go out to our guy, Jose Moda.
Speaker 5: It's tough to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 6: Jose Mota did a great job filling in for Rick Monday on this part of the homestand Rick will return tomorrow night. But Jose, great job filling in and appreciate the zinc drops you've given me throughout the night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've both been on the pollen wash, you and I have been because I'm not been a good spring for us. But it was nice of feeling for Rick, my good old buddy. He's back tomorrow and time to go see Pepe Cuartito. Your very good buddies.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no doubt about it. They're missing you in that booth and we'll miss you over here. But we got you on Dodger Talk every night, and I don't know, Jose, we could always talk about different things in the game and perceive things to be bigger than what they actually were. But how big was Hey Sung Kim losing that first fly ball to open up a two run first inning.
Speaker 2: Well before the game, all we talked about was, let's hope the Dodgers don't allow runs in the first inning. Somehow, Let's find a way that they don't do this so the offense cannot be looking up to say we got to play catch up again. And then that fly ball changes everything. I mean, it builds confidence on the d Backs obviously, it adds pitches to dryer, It gets base runners to a different bases where they did not belong.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it was big. It was big.
Speaker 2: And you asked me before game why the change was made and why I thought Dave Roberts had instarted one and center and one at second base, and I was talking about the ankle, and that was exactly what happened. With Tommy not being you know, back repetitively on a baseball field, you know, for a couple of weeks, you gotta sometime just you know, kind of slow him down where he doesn't have to worry about Tiaskar covering ground next to him, who just came from the il in the same time, not having to worry about going too far to his right to take care of Confardo. So it didn't pay off, obviously, but for his on Kim, the Lessenaires, if you can't see the ball, you got to tell somebody way early they can't see the ball, because that way, either guys in the corner as long as that ball was in the air but came very close to catching it. But they have to know a little bit early to know that you're having trouble seeing the baseball.
Speaker 4: And we saw Taskar.
Speaker 6: Hernandez explained that demonstratively to Kim in the dugout. How many more times do you believe we'll see Kim in center field? Do you feel like the Dodgers, who obviously have a longer leash on players than other teams, do you feel like they want to see Kim get more reps out there in case they need him later in the year.
Speaker 2: I do feel that way because the Dodgers have always stuck with a plan Andrew Freeman to Brandon gum So Dave Roberts, they don't quit for just a couple of misplays. Otherwise, Pies will not be playing the outfield for the Dodgers this year because he had a lot of misplays last season. So that's the truth. He had a lot of misplays earlier this season. Now he's a natural outfielder, so he has nowhere else to go. But the option obviously becomes a wide play a guy that's got gold gloves in Korea at second and short stop in the outfit because that's how they promoted him, that's how they wanted him to be here. And obviously, replacing guys that are versatile is going to require versatility, even though you do have as I mentioned, I agree with you on the center fielders that are better right now obviously in ahead of the charge of outman. But he's gonna get opportunities, there's no doubt about it. And I know coaches some already told me he's gonna miss the ball sometimes out there. The hitters are different here than in the league that he played in. But without giving him reps, since how is he going to get better?
Speaker 6: Jose Mota is joining us on Dodger Talk after the Dodgers lose their fourth straight tonight, a nine to five loss to the Diamondbacks after being swept by the Angels. You mentioned Michael Confordo and Jose. I'm a big believer in local credibility. Michael Confordo does not have any local credibility in LA. He's gotten off to a slow start to begin this season. How much longer do the Dodgers give him every day at bats in left field?
Speaker 2: I think they're gonna, you know, get They're getting close to leafs saying hey, listen, take a couple of days and go watch the game. But because you have options, Keik is a great example to have out there, a god that he can go out there and play and anyone he's going to do a good job. But Michael Conforda, what we're not seeing is the consistency of just that that fight. You know, we talk about competitive pitches on guys on the mound. I'll like to see competitive at bats time after time, and it seems like sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not. This way looks beautiful, there's no doubt about it, but that's not leading to anything. There's been some more hard contact, but also not on a consistent basis, and especially in situations where teams are not finding a way to get to him, is not delivering, not taking the right not making their right decisions when it comes down to other guys on well, the guy was slugging your first base ere and scoring position already and he's just not been able to get that one pitch or strike it well or miss it or something like that, because I think he's actually pressing a little bit, no doubt about it.
Speaker 6: And the Dodgers obviously have made some tough decisions on Chris Taylor and Austin Barnes and Andrew Friedman set in his pregame press conference yesterday unprompted acknowledge the fact that the Padres and Giants and the Diamondbacks are pushing them this year in this division, and they can't concede anything.
Speaker 2: Every year is different, every year is going to bring different challenges. The Dodgers played the most significant games of their season last year not in June or July, but in September. Because there's teams pushing you, including obviously the closest ones to Padres, So you got to go out there and think that, Yeah, who wouldn't want to have a five to six game lead in September and kind of cruise through it. It's not the right thing. It's not reality. I mean, yeah, it's ideal you want to dealt with. But then we talk about momentum and going into the first series and not having momentum. So you got to go out there and just enjoy the challenge.
Speaker 1: It's going to be there.
Speaker 2: These are all the big league teams that are playing good baseball. They know a lot about you too, so you got to adjust. And for the first question you asked me in spring training was what is it going to take?
Speaker 1: I still stick with it. It's going to take starting pitching it right now.
Speaker 2: That is the one hole the Dodgers have that they're not able to hold on to leads right now when it comes down to guys going out there and giving you, you know, six and stepping on the mountain of seventh inning, and the offense to me is it has not been an iss. Yeah, there's gonna be some spurts here and there, but they're gonna score some runs. But you've got to have somebody out there that can go out there and take the baseball and stop the bleeding in the first five or six innings.
Speaker 4: And that guy is Yoshi Amamoto Jose.
Speaker 6: I mean, when we talk about ACES, there's more than just going out there and pitching six scoreless or seven scoreless. There are nights like tomorrow night where you really are coordinated in ACE when the team needs you to stop a losing streak and provide what the Dodgers have not had, and that is solid starting pitching.
Speaker 2: That is Yoshi who needs to go out there himself and make adjustments and not allow what happened last time and one bat pitch against moreno hurt him tomorrow. And one thing about you know, as ACES earned that opportunity, they earned that title, and for Yoshi is now a matter of as you mentioned earned in the show, somebody's got to stop it. You need to stop her, and that's the guy who actually has to also start something new for the guys on the mound. Because we know very well that you do well, the next guy wants to go out there and top of you. And that's great to have that competition, which we have not seen because there's not been a consistency in who's going to follow whom and what they they're going to pitch so far in the rotation about oh, boy, who would not want to have you Mota on the mount tomorrow knowing that your team really needs to pick up from the guy start of the game.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's the guy whose should be fun. We'll see you back out here tomorrow night. And great job again filling in for Rick Monday.
Speaker 1: Hey, and let's forgive my fellow Titan marcosse.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, I'll try, I'll.
Speaker 2: Try maybe maybe, good night.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's that Sacramento Air. Sacramento Air up there that got him. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number Dodgers fall to the Diamondbacks tonight, nine to five. Let's take one more phone call before we reshare our conversation with the legendary Vince Scully. Daniel in Beverly Hills. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Daniel?
Speaker 2: Doing great?
Speaker 13: How you doing, David?
Speaker 4: I'm doing well. Thank you.
Speaker 13: So it's been a tough past four days watching these Dodgers, you know.
Speaker 1: And it's not for the lack of hitting.
Speaker 13: They they have an average that's one of the highest in the league, if not the highest in the league. And uh run scored per game at five point seventy nine run scored per game. And so our bats are not It's not our bats everyone's talking about Michael Conforto.
Speaker 1: Michael Conforto.
Speaker 14: I understand, he's a big hole in the lineup, But it's not our bats that.
Speaker 1: Are the problem. It's our pitching, our starting pitching, our bullpen.
Speaker 14: I mean, how many times are you going to bring in Kirby Yates to blow the lead? You know, it's like, well, now he's hurt, you know, It's just it's it's just it's plagued the Dodgers year after year, even when we think.
Speaker 6: Year after year, Daniel, stop it, you're over reacting. Okay, let's get through this stretch and we'll see where the Dodgers pitching is when they come back home and they got to play the New York teams.
Speaker 4: It's not going to be easy.
Speaker 6: And hopefully these guys stabilize and keep the Dodgers in the game because their offense certainly can win you a lot of games. Right now, thanks for the phone call, Daniel, appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 6: Despite the loss tonight, and despite the ugly performance by the Dodgers early in this game, it was Vin Scully Bobblehead night. The fans here received an old school version of Vin Scully on the top step of the Dodger Dugat. His family was out here, pregame and announced the words that Vin made famous. It's time for Dodger baseball. And the Dodgers did a great job of celebrating Vin and his memory and his legacy, and I thought we would do the same. Close it out that way on a feel good note. Here was my conversation with Vin back in twenty sixteen, right before Opening Day when the Dodgers changed the address of Dodgers Stadium to one thousand Vin Scully Avenue.
Speaker 7: One thousand Vin Scully Avenue has a nice ring to it. I'm curious, though, after so many years of resisting this honor, what made you change your mind?
Speaker 12: They kept asking me, sincerely, and I finally thought, well, it's my last year. Okay. You know they were all so nice, the mayor and the councilman, and you know that kind of thing finally gets to you. What I really wanted was and I'm going to try my last year to somehow or other convince him to honor Walter O'Malley. That to me is so important, and I just hope that they will eventually say, okay, because of all the names here. I mean, he's the man. He brought the team out, took a big risk playing in the coliseum, and took all kinds of heat and sarcasts and writings against him, then built this magnificent stadium, gave a lot of jobs to a lot of people, and now giving over three million a year enjoyment a sense of me one. So to me, his name should have gone on way ahead of anybody else's. So that was my biggest problem and it still is, and I pray that it'll be resolved.
Speaker 7: You know, then, what did you think about the fans when they started channing one more year? Were you taking aback by that?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 12: Of course the whole thing was ad lib whatever they did, And yeah, that was I was very touched on, relaxed now, But it's hard to sit up there and hear people, you know, singing your name and applauding, and it sounds easy, but it's not. Inside of me. Throughout the entire proceedings, there was a little voice saying, oh, come one, you know, because I just really don't feel that I should be where I was or where I am now it's happened. But for instance, again I get back to Waldron Alley. There's somebody who really deserves something big out here.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 7: They're starting to put up statues around the stadium. Would that be something that you would think, in one way shape or another, that could be a way that they can honor him or in another way.
Speaker 12: I wouldn't have any voice as to how they would honor him. My voice, however, is as loud as I can make it to honor him. How they do it is up to the people in charge. But I just can't believe we've been out here so long. I mean nineteen fifty eight a long time ago, and here we are in this beautiful stadium, been here since sixty two, drawing over three million. You heard the crowd. The enthusiasm the Dodger fans have is remarkable, and the man who started it has not been honored. And I still can't quite understand that. Someone else, I'm sure it can explain it to me, but I just don't understand it.
Speaker 7: With all the attention and how much people really want to share their love for you. Have you been able to keep the same pregame routine? Do you plan on keeping the same pregame routine?
Speaker 12: Yeah, you know, it's a funny feeling. When we were in San Diego because I wanted to go to that opening and a writer, I said, hi, a happy New Year, and the writer said, it's your last opening day And he said it like, oh, my gosh, do you know something that I don't know. I didn't like the idea of last, but yeah, I'm really looking forward to it. I really am, And I know it's the right decision. I have no misgivings whatsoever. So yeah, I'll wear a clean shirt tomorrow. My gosh.
Speaker 7: Then I was curious, because you've resisted the name changing of the street for a few years now, how much did Sandy encourage you to let them honor you in this way?
Speaker 12: Well, she encouraged me in some ways, but she said, you know, if you want to turn them down, it will be a slap in the face. The first time you turned it down, I didn't want it to be there and me coming to work for five years or whatever with that sign. This way, it can go up and at the end of the year, I can make the great escape. I don't you know, really, but she as always just gives me the strength to make the decision. She had nothing to do with the announcing that this was my last year. That just came from the fact that I know it's the perfect time. I mean, I've been so lucky to have lived this long and to have worked this long. And I kept thinking, all right, I'll be eighty nine when the season ends. If you go one more year, you'll be ninety. I don't think that's fair to the listeners. I really don't. So no, this will be it, and I'll be grateful.
Speaker 4: I was curious too.
Speaker 7: I mean, obviously your legacy will live on forever with the games broadcasts, but for your grandchildren, their grandchildren, they could come to a street and the family name is right there.
Speaker 12: Yes, but you know what, Dave, and I really mean this. I saw Mel Allen leave the Yankees. I couldn't believe it. I saw Red Barber leave the Dodgers. I saw Jack Buck leave the Cardinals. I saw Harry Carey leave the Cubs. I saw Mile o'harrington leave the Eastern Astros. So when I leave, there'll be a strange feeling the first year of a different voice, and you know, where's been that kind of stuff. But after that year, believe me, like all of those other announcers, the game goes on. New fans that created broadcasters are still working at the game, and I don't think I'll be missed after that first year. I really don't.
Speaker 7: You know, have you been able to keep the same pregame routine? Do you plan on keeping the same pregame routine.
Speaker 12: Trying to do the same thing, the thing that bothers me? To be honest, right now, they're pushing me out in front of the game. They're making too much fuss over me, because the game is the thing. The players are the thing. Winning and losing is the thing. So I pray that this is the last of these days. You know, I'm not Kobe Bryant. I didn't do anything that well to thrill other people. So it's right that he should go to all the places. He was a magnificent player, never another one like that, so he should, But not me. I should be in the booth, that's where I belong, not out on the pitchers mound. So I'm hoping this day was wonderful I loved it, but that's it. Let's get back to the Dodgers and the season there.
Speaker 6: He was in twenty sixteen, the voice of the Dodgers forever, the voice of the Dodgers, and nights like tonight at Dodgers Stadium make you miss Vin Scully even more. But his legacy lives on. His calls live on. He will always live on as long as I'm hosting this show, and he lives on in the hearts of every Dodger fan that was lucky enough to hear him call games, and the next generation we'll know a lot about Vince Scully. On nights like tonight, where the Dodgers played interviews, they played a rendition of Vin singing take me out to the Ballgame that Greg Taylor and Jessica Ray found in the archives, and also just his family is going to allow his legacy to live on. So night's like tonight certainly special because he is gone but never will be forgotten. All Right, the voice is given out. So that's it for Dodger Talk Tonight. Coming up tomorrow, Yoshiyamamoto on the mound. He is expected to be the stopper and the ace, and he is expected to help the Dodgers and set this tone to end a season high four game losing streak.
Speaker 4: Morongo Casino.
Speaker 6: Dodgers on Deck begins at six o'clock tomorrow with first pitch at seven to ten on Mexican Heritage.
Speaker 4: Night here at Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 6: Thanks to calling me back at our Burbank studios, thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Dodgers Stadium, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app once again. The final score tonight from Dodgers Stadium. The Dodgers fall to the Diamondbacks nine to five. Ben Mallar on Fox Sports Radio is next.
Speaker 1: See you