Speaker 1: It is Ryan here, and I have a question for you. What do you do when you win?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Are you at fist pumper, a wooo, a handclapp or a high fiver?
Speaker 3: I kind of like the high five.
Speaker 1: But if you want to hone in on those winning moves, check out Chumbuck Casino. At chumbacasino dot com, choose some hundreds of social casino style games for your chance to redeem serious cash prizes. There are new game releases weekly, plus free daily bonuses, so don't wait start having the most fun ever at Chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 4: No pur necessary dtilvoid overhabit by losty terms conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 2: With Lucky Land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 3: Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today. Has anyone seen the bride and groom?
Speaker 2: Sorry?
Speaker 3: Sorry, we're here. We were getting lucky in the limo and we lost track of time. No Lucky Land casino with cash prizes that add up quicker than a guess registered. But in that case, I pronounce you lucky.
Speaker 2: Thanks for free.
Speaker 4: At Lucky Landslots dot com, daily bonuses are waiting.
Speaker 3: No purchase necessary boid.
Speaker 4: We're prohibited by long eighteen plus terms and conditions applau see website for details.
Speaker 1: Lucky Land Casino asking people what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 3: Lucky? In line at the deli, I guess ah, in my dentist's office more than once. Actually do I have to say? Yes? You do?
Speaker 1: In the car before my kid's PTA meeting?
Speaker 3: Really? Yes? Excuse me? What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky? I never win? And tell well, there you have it.
Speaker 1: You could get lucky anywhere playing at Lucky landslots dot com.
Speaker 3: Play for free right now? Are you feeling lucky? Nob's necessary? Void my long eighteen plus terms, conditions of placy, worts, every details.
Speaker 4: Judy was boring Hello, Then Judy discovered chumpacasino dot com.
Speaker 2: It's my little escape.
Speaker 3: Now Judy's the life of the party.
Speaker 2: Oh baby mama is bringing home the bacon.
Speaker 4: WHOA, take it easy, Judy, Jump the chump. A life that's for everybody. So go to chumpacasino dot com and play over one hundred casino style games. Join today and play for free for your chance to redeem some serious prices.
Speaker 3: Jump chump acasino dot com.
Speaker 4: No PRI's necessary weight work condition of Severty Deals.
Speaker 5: You are now listening to True Murder, the most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them Gaesy, Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker BTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host journalist and author Dan Zufanski, Good Evening. Amanda Howard is a best selling true crime author, fiction writer, and violent crimes consultant who has written nineteen books over the past fourteen years, including ten books on a wide range of true crime cases. She has also interviewed some of the world's most heinous serial killers over two decades and has collected a vast pool of information on various types of killers, their motives, and rituals. In Killer Minds, Amanda Howard investigates sixty cases a serial murder from around the world. Using primary resources and the actual words of the serial killers. Amanda reconstructs both infamous and lesser known crimes and provides an insight into the minds of serial killers. The book is broken into the following chapters, child Killers, Strangers We Know, thrill Killers, Killer Kids, Poisoners, group Killers, Black Widows and Parents who Kill. The book that were featuring this evening is Killer Minds, An Insight into the Minds of serial Killers, with my special guest, journalists and author Amanda Howard. Welcome to the program and thank you very much for a Greenness interview. Amanda Howard.
Speaker 2: Hi, Dan, welcome from Australia.
Speaker 6: Thank you very much for calling all the way from Australia. Thank you very much. Incredible book. Let's get to a little bit about why this why you wrote this book. You talk about the purpose in the a new definition. You say a new definition because the other definition is far too vague to encapsulate the varying types of multiple murderers. And therefore you want to show that there are many possible subcategories that are more definitive than the all encompassing term a serial killer. Tell us a little bit about that.
Speaker 2: That's right, Dan, What we actually have is that everyone thinks of the serial killer, and we think of you know, Dahmer and Geisy and Bundy and all of these big cases which are actually more of a sub species of X serial killer. But as as you mentioned, my book actually goes into sort of different sorts because we have our child killers. Now, the child killers tend to sort of look at a specific victim type, obviously, but the way they kill children is often very different to the way that Bundy killed his victims. And then we go into the known strangers, and that's these men and and Gasey fits into this category where they're, you know, these high functioning, great members of the community and everyone knows them and they're and they're great friends with everybody, but they harbor this secret and so that gives them a sort of different sort of subspecies as well. And then we go into killers like the thrill killers, who, like Ivan Malay, who's a local case here, they actually kill because they just want to kill. It's not about the sexual elements so much as about the hunting. So there's a fair few killers that go into that category. Sorry. Our killer kids, again, is a very different category that I could probably actually I think I did write a book on this case. But there's a lot of children who go on to kill that tend to be due to an arrested development and so why they kill at such a young agees just a fascinating topic. And again they're very different to our sexual killers, our poisoners. Obviously, that's about a quick dispatch often and it's about getting rid of people who are in their way or for the pure joy of it. A couple of other sort of of categories. I mean, we have our tandem killers, and on my own podcast we do a lot of these tandem killer cases because there's that fascination of that dynamic that happens between the stronger killer and the weaker killer and how they can interact and function, and how these people come together in a type of perfect storm, and how they can create a murderous campaign that may not have happened if they didn't get together. And then of course we have our parents who kill, which is a very graphic topic that goes into these parents who you know, like as as a parent myself, I don't understand, but I try to understand how they decide that they would have these babies and just continually kill them over years. I mean, we had Mary Beth Tinning who just died recently, who likely killed eight of her nine children, and it's just shocking that they that they can go that far and carry these babies and and just end up deciding that that's what's going to happen within a very few sometimes hours, sometimes days, sometimes months. But it's it's quite it just it just shows that the serial killer term is far too broad these days. I mean, when the FBI started there their research, they were looking at people like Kemper, who was very much in this very small sample size. They were all the same age, most of them were white, they all had pretty much for female victims, and so it was a very concentrated sample. But since that time, you know, we've seen people like Derek Todd who killed across racial lines and all of this sort of stuff that sort of breaks down that profile. And I'm sorry, I'm going on. I know you've got me talking now. Dan, I'm so sorry, but it just shows that we need to sort of go into more depth and break down that umbrella of the term serial killer.
Speaker 6: You did have a couple issues. Before we get into some incredible dramatic examples in these categories that you have in this book and the sixty stories that you have featured, you also talk about that you say an author of Stevener in nineteen ninety eight that did a different classification for serial killers, and then you say that as well, that there needs to be more of a definition, you say, a further definition to be able to include all kinds of other killers as you do. Where is there still some controversy we've seen in the last few years from the definition. I think it's the FBI that has said it from three murders adjusted down to two murders with that same kind of psychopathology evident. Where is there some controversy today about serial killing and its definition and where do you in this book see a difference.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean one of the first things is that they talk about that they killed their victims in different locations. So instantly Gacy doesn't see I mean, yes, he's last three victims he dumped because his croll space was full, But had it not been full, he would have continued to kill it at his own house. So there's always exceptions to the rules. So we really need to make sure that we can sort of break down these classifications and change it to suit various subspecies of serial killer. Because you know, Caspolbig who is a child killer here Ed Australia does not fit into the same category as Ed Kemper who killed co eds in the nineteen seventies, So we need to sort of break it down because the profiles that we have are very very basic and it and we need to sort of create these subcategories where we can have the child killers, we can have the k killer children, we can have the tandem killers, we can have the poisoners, the black widows, and all of these sorts of cases because they can't fit together. And you know, we expect to just say serial killer and we think Bundy, but we never sort of think of Mark du Trow and other cases that we're going to go into today. So I think there's extra sort of profiling sections for each of these different sub subcategories.
Speaker 6: Right now. In the child killers category. And we talked about this beforehand, and I thought it was just me losing, like I said, at my edge a little bit. But you have included I can't see, absolutely have to be the worst examples of child killers in the history of the world. And as you and as we explained to the audience, this book is a collection, so you have held back some of the details, and yet this is incredibly hard to read. Let's talk about Mark Dutrow and also, just as you mentioned before the show, tell us about the research done to be able to write about Mark du trou and what that research meant in terms of your health.
Speaker 2: Well, Mark de Trow, I actually wrote a book a few years ago called Predators, and the Detro case was one that I thought, oh, yeah, he killed a couple of kids, I'll add him in, and then once I started researching the case. Now Mark Dutrow was incarcerated for only five victims, though there's a bit of controversy even about that. But going into this case, what they found was he was likely a small fish in a very very big pond. This massive pedophile ring that was happening in Belgium at the time that actually went all the way to royalty. There was judges involved, police call parliamentary members. It was this massive rotten underbelly of Belgium and they actually put out a call for people who believed that they were victims of this pedophile ring to come forward and give their statements. So what I read during that is some of the most horrific graphic detail that I have ever I couldn't have even imagined it. There is evidence of young girls, babies, and they killed the babies as they're born. Like I mean, we are talking graphic, horrific stuff, including photographs of children in submissive poses and sexually explicit s and m and all of this sort of horrific stuff that I threw my laptop across the room and stopped writing. It sent me to a therapist. I couldn't cope with what I had just seen and read. I mean, as authors to keep a distance, but sometimes the darkness does get in. And I had a young daughter at the time she's now a teenager, but at the time that there was one picture of this one little girl who looked like her, and it just broke me, and I thought, why am I doing this? What's going on? I've just read the most horrific stuff. That these people are evil. There's nothing worse than the information that I read. That I had to go and see a therapist. I had to stop writing, I had to leave it alone. The publisher didn't really like that, but they had to deal with that. But it was about me realizing that though we think that we can keep a distance, were human and we need to be able to feel that these emotions and these poor victims and these girls who are now in their thirties and forties, and what they went through and the torture and what they saw and being passed around all of these pedophile groups, and and you know, it involved their parents and their grandparents and all of this sort of horrific detail that I read that I couldn't put in the book. It's just it's it's just too horrific. But it just sort of created this this feeling in me that there's evil and then there's those that are beyond evil. And it was a tough case to get through. I eventually did return to the book, and Mark de Trow then also appears in Killer Minds as well, But it's just it's a case that will always be up there with just a few others that created nightmares for me. And you know, we go to bed and we try and think about the nice things and think about our families, but there's some cases that do get in and Mark t Trow was one of them.
Speaker 6: I hate to ask some questions about that case after that, but that don't go into too much graphic depots. Like I say, is this story to me, as I mentioned to you, is some stories really are visual and I can really visualize them because they are so incredibly movie esque in my mind. And that means somewhat, if not almost completely like a horror movie plot. And I've seen a lot of horror movies when i was a kid, So this stuff is of the true murder, true horror variety. You talk about this, we won't get into his early life. Everybody says they had horrible things happened to them when they were young. But needless to say, when he was twenty years old, he was married, he had a couple sons, and then he was divorced and she claimed horrific spousal violence and sexual abuse of the children. At that point, he had an affair with this Michelle Martin, and it became a second wife. Correct. He used to have a white van, and we talk about he starts stocking children at swimming centers around Belgium in his white van. Who was just to outline the horror of this story and why it's it's so horrific, is can you tell us who is in company? Who who is in company with when he does this? And then introduced some of the couple of his friends that that he is associated with. We talked, You talked about and alluded to the pedophile ring, But how does it start with these four members?
Speaker 2: As you said, there is fourth so his his wife Michelle, actually becomes part of this gang and she was often used as a rooster to get a lot lot of the girls towards the the van. You know, she would do like we know Carla Malka did it in Canada, asked the direction and in these children always were happy to help, and so they would get them towards the van. And in the van was Michelle. I'm going to stuff this name. I'm sorry, it's the Levee, which is a French surname. I'm sure that you would probably do a better van. And he was actually a main partner to Detroux, and the two of them would do a lot more. And there was a few others that helped, including a guy called Weinstein who ended up being a victim of Detro's because he was boasting to people and everything, and so Mark de Trow actually killed him, so he is one of his victims, which sort of confuses that serah killer term again because his chosen victims were females. But he did kill one of his companions, and there was other people involved that were important members of society, and so they would grab the girls, they would tie them up in the van and sexually assault them and often dump them. And they did this for years and years and years until they decided to make it a bit more of a permanent arrangement. And what they did was Marc de Trunt to one of his homes, and he had multiple homes, and he was unemployed, and people knew that he had all these homes, and he had all of this construction equipment and big giant excavators and all of this stuff. No one questioned it, which sort of suggested that people knew what was going on because they were members of the police and all of this that were involved, that they just turned a blind eye. And what happened was that he actually abducted to eight year old girls, so Julie le Legen and Melissa Rousseau. I'm sorry about the pronunciation of some of these names, and he took them back to his home in Belgium and they produced videos and all of this sexual assault of these two eight year old girls. Now, how how they actually died was Datrow actually went to jail for car theft, and he told his wife to keep them alive, and she was too scared to go into the dungeon to feed them, and so they ended up starving to death. So it's just absolutely horrific what those two little eight year old girls went through. And I read the case file and it's pretty horrific what their last couple of months of life were like. Yeah, but going on from there, they actually le Lev and Datrow actually then arrest abducted Anne Marchelle and Effie Lambrex. Now they were eighteen year old girls, but they looked a lot younger, and so it was almost an accidental abduction because they wanted younger girls. And so they were kept for only a very short time, and then they were drugged and buried alive, and they were buried beside win steam because he had sort of stuffed up with your reduction of those two girls so gone. So it's actually quite shocking, but that they were kept for a short time. And then in I think it was nineteen ninety six, Dutrow ended up kidnapping Sabine Zaden, who was a twelve year old girl. And there was a big outcry about that there was girls being abducted and this girl had disappeared, and she was actually gone for quite some time and they kept looking for them, and police had actually been Todtro's house several times in it had heard children crying out asking for help, but they could never find them because the way that they were hidden in these dungeons, which are very much like the Fritzel case in Austria a couple of years ago, that these these doors, they were hidden behind shelving and all of this sort of stuff, so though they could hear them, knew that they were there, they didn't find them and didn't keep trying to find them, so that they could have probably saved the first two girls and then saved the others. But thankfully Sabine and there was an another girl that was abducted just before they were captured, Letitia dell Has, and they were kept and raped repeatedly during their captive period. But then the press and the public had caused such a great outcry that they knew where to find them because someone had seen the spooky white band when he had abducted Letitia, so they were able to go and get them within a couple of weeks of her abduction. So the last two girls did survive, and both of them spoke out at length at the trial of de Troux, who went on with the whole arm, just a small fish pedophile group. But Sabine and Letitia said that they only were raped by him, and so that's where the trial went, and they refused to investigate further. There was a judge that wanted it to go higher, and that's where all of the witness testimony come from, all these other victims. But he was actually sacked and told to not look into this and to leave it alone. And so only datrou and his gang of Michelle Martin and Michelle Lealev went to prison for these cases.
Speaker 6: You see too. Millions of Belgians watched on like TV the sentencing.
Speaker 2: Yes, and then there was a massive outcry. It was called the white March. They all dressed in white and had white balloons to sort of represent all of the victims of Detroux and of the disgusting mess that was happening in Belgium at the time, because names were being thrown around. As I said, went into the royal family, and there is this one person in the royal family that they know was very important in his pedophile ring, but he's never going to be charged. Were incarcerated for this, but the Belgium, the Belgium people tried to have it changed and fixed, and they did a lot, but it just come down to this small group of four people and only three were incarcerated, and Michelle Martin is actually out of prison now. But it's they knew something was happening and that there was too many rumors for there not to be evidence, but it was just shut down. But I mean, a lot of the information is online. You can actually look up the ex dossiers and read these transcripts of these interviews with these girls who now at thirty and forty what they had experienced, as you know, three four, five, fifteen year olds. It's just been horrific. But no one, no one went into it. And actually one of the victims who spoke out, Regina, loof people went on news programs and current affairs shows to actually discredit her and just say, honor, she's a crazy crack pot and this didn't happen. That didn't happen. But she was able to take people to the places where these things happened, where bones were found and blood splatter was found and everything, and they still chose to ignore her case.
Speaker 6: You talk about some of the outrage with that was there outrage We talk about judicial systems in the US and Canada, Australia, UK different in Belgium. Was their outrage to the sentences because you see, Michelle Martin didn't do any time or was released because he had to care for her child. And then this Michelle Neel I probably didn't pronounce that properly. He was acquitted of all charges, but he did get five years for drug related charges, so he escaped from charges essentially two of this again seemed like a big pedophile group, but only a few people convicted and those sentences. Was there outrage at that leniency, at those sentences or any of those decisions.
Speaker 2: Well, there was a little bit, but there was more outrage that de Troux was allowed to go to the law library by himself during the trial and after the trial to look at appealing his case, and was able to walk out of prison and escape for quite a few weeks. I mean, this guy was so protected that he had such freedoms, and even now he's actually he's been contacting the families of his victims claiming that he wants to apologize, hoping that it will let him out of prison. I mean, he's only been in prison for about twenty years and he wants out. And I mean the judge that was digging into this case, he was sacked purely because he had a dinner with the victims' families and they said, oh no, no, this is instantly a conflict of interest. You can't look into this case. And they've brought in someone who just basically just washed the case away and said, yeah, Mark the Trow's guilty, go to prison, go away everyone else. So, I mean, everyone knew that there was corruption involved. Even a million people marching in the streets wasn't enough to change the outcome or to create enough buzz to make them fight this further and to get the real ring leaders involved, because I mean, it's still going on. And that's the scary part. Mark de Trow might be in prison, but this pedophile ring is still going on.
Speaker 6: That is incredible. Let's talk about another you sub then you break things down into sub categories and you say non strangers versus the unknown stringer or the stranger I should say serial killer? Why that? Why that.
Speaker 2: Distinction?
Speaker 7: Sorry, no, that's okay, because we have these people that we were always led to believe that serial killers are these scary you know, monsters with a limp and a scar and all of this sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: But they're actually very much a part of our community. But we have those who take the opportunity to just grab someone off off the street and take them. So they're our stranger killings that they're the ones who see the opportunity and take it, whereas the known strangers like John Wyne Gacy and Dean Call, they're members of the community and people actually flock to them, and so to procure that they're victims, both Gaycy and Call used younger boys to actually entice people to their house, and they would often go a couple of times before they were actually killed, so they got to know their victims, and their victims got to know their killer before everything ended up terrifically wrong. So that's the distinction there. So it's about building relationships where they're victims. It might just be a few hours, but often Gaycy or Call would actually have people come to their home and you know, and they'd smoke weed for a while and they'd watch Porno's or play a couple of games of pool. So it wasn't about getting them in the house and attacking and killing them, whereas the stranger killings often do that. They actually go and grab a victim, take them home, and they're dead pretty quickly, often after sort of a shortened period of torture. These known strangers take that time and they're able to create an environment where they're comfortable enough to do the killings. Dean Call used to so Brooks and Henley to entice some of the teenage boys to come to his home in Houston and they would play pool for a while and they'd get drunk. And you know, teenage boys'd be happy to do that. I mean, most teenagers want to go and get drunk, and so that's what what would happen, is that they would go and party until they would often wake up tied to Dean Call's torture board, and then that they'd be sodomized, they'd be beaten, they'd be tortured, and then that they'd be killed and buried in a boat shed that he'd hired. So it's very different to the opportunitnistic killers that we have. And this is how these sorts of known strangers like Gacy and Call get up to Dean Cole had twenty eight victims and Gaycy had thirt thirty three, and this is how they do it because Dankole had a local candy business and people knew him and he was part of the society. He was a veteran, and it was just Noah would have suspected him. So this is how he was able to get to at least twenty eight victims.
Speaker 6: Let's use as an opportunity amounted just to stop for a second to hear from our sponsor. Meason Meson is a kitchen cookware company that makes high end kitchen necessities for a fraction of the price. Just like any job, having the right tools can make all the difference, and cooking is no different. A solid, high end knife is essential for any home chef. The problem until now that your only options were cheap and low quality or something expensive. Until now, my wife and I received are two Meson knives, a butcher knife and a pairing knife, and immediately we could see and feel the quality construction, just how very sharp the knives were and how well they felt as you were using them and cutting with them, and they look great. One knife does it all. Giant knife sets can be a waste of space in your kitchen and money in your wallet. The Meson Knife can replace ninety nine percent of what all knives in your big stand set can do much cheaper than other competitors. By selling directly to you, the consumer, Meson is able to cut out the middleman and save you money and.
Speaker 8: You're dedicated to building a bright financial future. Grow your investments with Millibank's high Yield Savings account.
Speaker 3: Earn a highly competitive.
Speaker 8: Annual percentage yield with no fees or minimums. Getting started is simple to download the app, link your account and start growing your money. Welcome to a new way to save more for the things that matter most. Welcome to Millibank. Visit Milli dot bank or download the Milli app today.
Speaker 6: Free sharpening for life. Even the sharpest knives eventually dull. Meson knows how aggravating this can be, so they offer free sharpening for life. To send the knife back when it dulls, and they'll ship it back good as new. I've tried the mesonknife and I don't know how I ever cooked without it. Cooking is faster and actually more fun. And now you can also join in the fun in the kitchen. My listeners will receive twenty percent off their order simply by going to meson dot com slash murder and using my code murder. That's m I S e n dot com slash murder for twenty percent off your order meson dot com slash murder and don't forget to use my code murder. You were talking about Dan Coral and such an incredible example of your known stranger classification for serial killers. Let's talk more about Dan Coral and you mentioned his accomplices Brooks and Henley. When we spoke for the program, you mentioned that you had been in correspondence with this Henley. Explain that before we go more into and dive into the story of being Coral or the Candyman.
Speaker 2: Well, Dwayne Henley was actually meant to be a victim. He was recruited by David Brooks, who had been enticing victims to calls home since the age of twelve. Now, Henley was just a young teenager when he was brought to the home, and he ended up being a better accomplice than Brooks was, who was starting to get old. So col began using Henley as his carried on the end into the stick to get other victims in. Henley's been in prison since the late nineteen sixties, and he was seventeen then, so do the math. He's quite old now and he has spent his entire adult life in prison as an a Now, though we don't feel sympathy for these people who murder children or kill anyone, but you have to wonder if there's something there that even at seventeen, Henley was under duress from Call. And there's as I said, that you can't be said sympathetic, but you have to wonder that he was just a pawn in Call's game. And you know, he has spent all of this time in prisons as an accomplice to a horrific serial killer. And I don't know if a lifelong sentence was the right sentence in this case. I believe that had he not come into calls home, he may never have killed. And I don't think he's a serial killer. He's someone who was just put into that environment where it was kill or be killed, And I don't know. It just messes where my head a bit. And Brooks was the same. Brooks was incarcerated too, and as far as I'm aware, he's still in prison as well. Actually I know he's still in prison. But there is a twist to Henley's case in that on one day nineteen sixty eight, I think it was, he actually bought a female victim home and Cale got really really upset by it because his preference was between age boys, and so Carl drugged them all and Henley woke up tied to the board like the other victims were, and he sort of convinced Paul to let him go and together he would kill the female victim and Carl would kill the male victim that he'd bought, and they sort of call let Henley go, and he pretended to wrap his girlfriend that he brought to the house and then sort of call teased him about something and the two got into a fight, and Carl become angry and said to Henley, well, you know, if you didn't like this, well you're just gonna have to kill me, and going at him and going at him, and Henley actually grabbed a gun and shot Dean called dead. So there's actually there's a recording out there of Wayne calling his mum and saying, I shot Dean, And it's a weird moment because her response is, oh, no, you know, her son just wrung her and said, I've murdered someone, and there's no she doesn't ask what happened? How like, what's going on? It's just oh no, it's actually quite odd. It sort of suggests to me that she knew something wrong was going on and this was the out come that she wasn't surprised by. So then Henley and Brooks took the police to the boat ship where they started to dig up all of these boys. So and the two of them have been in prison ever since, and Colin never faced justice because Henley shot him dead.
Speaker 6: You also talk about with this case again again something out of a twilight zone. This Rhonda Williams that you were talking about that was brought here, that precipitated Coral being shot by Henley was incidentally the girlfriend of a previous victim of Dean Coral Brooks and Henley, or at least Dean Coral. Isn't that correct?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. She's actually finally been able to not move on from this, but able to speak out about it. She actually wrote a book a few years ago about her experience because she was there when a serial killer was shot dead by two others by one other serial killer. And you know, Brooks was brought in very quickly after that. Yeah, she was. There was a lot of relationships with a lot of the victims. I mean, we're talking about to head boys in a small geographical area, so a lot of them knew each other. And there's all these boys disappearing, and the police, like they did with Gaycy, just assume they all run away. So no one saw it as a spike or that there was an issue going on, or you know, it was just too great a coincidence that all these teenage boys were sudden not being found, but the investigations weren't happening. So no, that the boys run away, We're not going to look. So all of these families stood around this boat shed and saw their boys get get pulled out, and you think twenty eight victims at least, what like, where could have the police stop this from happening? Where could they have thought, hang a sick let's look into this And everyone goes, oh, the last place that they was seen as Dean Cole's place, But no one did that until Henley shot Dean Cole dead. This was going to continue.
Speaker 6: Yeah. The other again Twilight's on moment, is that to further how diligent the police was that Billy Balsh, seventeen year old, was killed and less than two years later his brother Michael Balsh is another victim November seventy two. Again, what's the odds of Randa Williams connected to a victim and then two brothers in this horror?
Speaker 2: Yeap exactly. And you know, even if the police had looked at the Bulsh family, they would have realized that these boys had no reason to run away way and maybe you know, Billy was early, he was early early seventies, I think, and you know his brother was a few years after that. You know that there is all of these opportunities that this could have been stopped, but it just it just continued, and like two boys in one family are just the heartbreak I feel for those parents.
Speaker 6: How did people reconcile it? And how do you how do you explain? Again, I've seen a lot of explanations for people participating in things. People normally when they're charged will say that that person, the partner, forced them to do the things that they did, usually proven otherwise in court. You talk about these you know, David Brooks and Henley luring these other boys to this to be tied to a torture rack and we're talking I won't even get into these details, but incredible torture of these boys. How do you reconcile that these boys would go do that for any regardless of any motivation or threat.
Speaker 2: How I think that they were under threat. I think that Carle said, you know, if you don't bring a boy this weekend, you'll be strapped to it. I mean, Caul Henley woke up strapped to it, and he knew that he had to survive, so it come to a head. But I think you know, they brought almost thirty boys into the house, so they knew what was going to happen to these boys. And I mean it's twelve when he first started to take victims, twelve, So I mean you also have after think about the parents. Why are you letting your twelve year old boy hang with this man day after day, week after week, and an option. I don't know. I feel sorry for Brooks and Henley, but yes, at the same time, as you said, they knew what was going to happen, they participated in what happened, and they helped kill these victims, so they're equally as culpable. But I think they wouldn't have become Seriah killers themselves. It's just under the guidance of call that this happened.
Speaker 6: You have so many fascinating cases here, including the Dean Coral. You include Albert Fish, John Wayne Gacy, Thomas Piper, and Rekidder. Marty. You have again we talked about the killer kids. Maybe we can talk about this particularly sad case, this Mary Bell, and a very odd case as well. Maybe you can tell us at a little bit about your story about Mary Bell.
Speaker 2: Mary Bell is currently out in the world somewhere with her daughter. She'd be I don't know right now, in her sixties, I'd say. Now she is one of the youngest children ever charged with murder, and not only one, but she had two victims. Now, Mary Bell in England in the nineteen sixties strangled to young boys, so they were about four years old. But not only did she strangle them, she actually stabbed the corpses and etched her name into one of the boy's chests. Now, this was a bad child, but again we talk about their horrific upbringings and for a child to killer ten has been a horrific journey to that point. She had been prostituted by her mother. She'd been abused by so many people, full she'd been in and out of girls homes and all of this, so it culminated in a very short spree of two killings, and she actually had a friend help her with One of the victims, who sat a name was also Belle, which is quite surprising, but Sha was actually slightly older. But it was Mary who was the instigator, and she actually, like the day before her eleventh birthday, she lured a four year old boy called Martin to an abandoned house and she she did this herself, and she took the boy there and strangled him and sort of harmed his corpse. And then a couple of months later, with normal Belle, they took a three year old boy to some wasteland and the two of them sort of attacked him and she etched a big m across his his stomach and she sort of mutilated his genitals and cut his hair off and basically just sort of did a lot of anger harm. So she sort of acted out all of her probably pent up anger at and frustration that she had at home on this three year old boy. And the scary part is that when she killed her first victim. The family had a viewing and that they were preparing for the funeral and everything, and Mary turned up and said, I want to see his dead body, just just just as plain as that, you know, And they're like, you're an eleven year old girl, please, you know, this is very sad, and she she's like, no, no, no, I want to see him, you know. She was that sort of blase about it. So she was put in prison for quite some time, and she she escaped when she was about sixteen and fell pregnant. She went for a couple of weeks and had a wild ride yep, and went back to prison. But in England, like we have here, children can't be held for life, so Wayne Henley would have been released under UK and Australian law. So at the age of eighteen she was released, given a new name, and she's been found a few times over the years, but basically the people who need to know who she is and where she is, and she's been kept safe because I mean it comes into culpability of a ten year old girl being responsible for what she'd done. And so yeah, so she's lived a harmless life since then. So that the case isn't well known, but it often comes up because of the two ten year old boys who killed the two year old toddler in in the UK in the nineties, which is another big case that happened, and both of those boys were released also eighteen, though one of them's now back in prison for about the fifth time. So as a case, it does come up because of that. It makes you wonder what creates a ten year old killer, and it's something that's perplexing, and they're quite hard to actually interview and get to. I'm actually interviewing a child killer in Australia. He was eighteen when he killed a victim and he was suspected of two others. So I've been actually interviewing him for just this year so far. As I said, they're actually hard to find an interview, but I'm trying to delve into this a bit further to see what creates a child killer. So well, a child who kills so interesting.
Speaker 6: Yeah, on the subject of child killers or kids that kill, I should say children who kill. You talk about William Herons and we're talking about November fifteenth, nineteen twenty eight. He was born. Tell us a little bit about William Herons because I think it's an indication of or a really good example of stopping people before they become killers. And there was all these indications very early on that if this person could have been stopped. So tell us a little bit about William Herons and how old was he when he began his killing spree.
Speaker 2: Well, he was sixteen seventeen when he started to kill. Most people would know him as the lipstick killer because one of the crime scenes written on the wall was for Heaven's safe, catch me before I kill more. I cannot control myself. So it's one of the first cases I remember, and I think it's purely because of that sticks scrawl. There's evidence to suggest that he might not have been the Killer's one of those cases that you're either on one side of the fence or the other. When I write these cases, I go from the point that people have been incarcerated and they've gone through appeals. If they're still in prison, as suggested, there's enough evidence to put them there. Now. Heron's who was convicted of three victims. So there was three female victims. They were middle aged, most of them, so around forty five or so, which is my age. So I can say say that, and they were stabbed and attacked, but there was sort of no suspects and it was only that Heron's had a criminal record and he was actually captured trying to break into a home and had a gun. Did they believe that he was the killer. So police at the time we're looking for several other susc including a female at one of the scenes, and we don't know why that. We know that they believed that the second victim was actually killed by female. So it's actually quite strange. But when Herons was arrested, they actually kept him awake for six days. They refused him food and water, and they used that im pentathole on him as well as light detectives. Now this is a seventeen year old boy in a room with all of these police officers, no lawyer, and after six days he confessed. I think he would have confessed to being Jesus Christ at that point, and so it's actually quite I mean, it's quite shocking that this is how he was sentenced, was based on his own confession. And I mean, he was Chicago's longest serving prisoner. He died at eighty three in prison, so he was in there for I'm terrible at mass so don't make me work out out. But at sixty odd years and he always claimed that he had been railroaded by their tactics to confess, so he may have been innocent, but he went to jail for the case. And so he had three victims. As I said, they were all stabbed, they were also beaten, and they were that they did struggle with their attacker, which I think might suggest why they thought one of the victims was killed by a female, because there was such a struggle that happened, and I don't think a male would grab lipstickers as quickly as a female would to write that, but that there'd been other witnesses that had had seen heron in the area, and he'd been in and out of boys' homes to that point for similar attacks, So he had gone into people's houses and taken similar things that what was taken at the three kill sites. So that sort of is a bit more evident against him. So it's a case. It's quite interesting and one that I keep coming back to because I think that we could dig and find more on this, whether to prove or disprove he is the killer. But seventeen to eighty three he was in prison. That's a very long time.
Speaker 6: You have examples of real killers, Marcel Barbel, Klaus Geisman, Richard Marquette, Ivan Malat from Australia, famous infamous Anatoly Arnoldfrienko briefly tell us a little bit about this serial killer operating in Ukraine.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, this is a guy that from about eighty nine ninety six ninety seven he killed fifty two victims, so very similar to Andre Chikatillo, who killed sort of over a long period of time. I think Chickachillo killed for about twenty five years. Ko did the same kill rate in only nine or ten years. So his first killings were ten victims. So he and our accomplice whose name as Rogozen, went into a family's house. They were robbing the place. The family came home and rather than trying to escape or or get away on a pri and co just massacre the entire family. So like BTK, starts with a massive killing, and over the next couple of years he would do this. He would go into their homes and he would break in, steal what he could, and then kill the entire family. Often he would do that first and then rob the place, but often it was the other way around that he would tie them all up and make them watch him sort of defile their homes, and then once they were dead, he would burn the house the ground. So we had a very distinct signature to what he did. And he did this over and over and over again. He got sick of his accomplice and ended up just just going it alone, and he would kill massive families. You know, he would go and kill the family of four, family of ten, a family of eight, and he would do this over and over and over again and burn the places down. So not only was the serial killer and a burglar, he was also an arsonist. So he's one of these killers who just enjoyed what he did did the first time and just kept doing it over and over and over again until he was finally captured. And obviously, when you have such a distinct pattern, police were able to quickly link them all together and new to it. It was a work of a serial killer. And after the debacle of the Chickachillo case where they believed that that the Ukraine and Russia don't have serial killers because that's a US thing, they were able to quickly link all of this together, believe they had a serial killer and so Onopri and Co. Was actually caught quite quickly, but after a massive count of fifty two victims.
Speaker 6: And another case where he wouldn't have been stopped other than again just luck in terms of his uncle evicting him and then finding a cache of weapons and then calling police. If his uncle hadn't, that's fora was much worse, wouldn't it.
Speaker 2: Absolutely he would have kept going. Yeah, with a lot lot of these thrial killers, it's about how they get caught, and it's often a slip up like that. I mean, it's obvious what he was doing, and there would have probably been a geographical passion, but they get sloppy because the thrill is like a drug, and they keep going and keep going, and they need more and more and more that they escalate to such a point. I mean he was killing once a monile towards the end, and they escalate until they slip up. And that's for what he did there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you have include h. Cholms in as poisoners. Why is he included in with poisoners?
Speaker 2: Well, he liked to use gas to kill some of his victims and some of the victims that we know that he killed were poisoned. Now he was working as a pharmacist, so that made it very easy for him to get any sort of poison that he wanted. So oftentimes with the poisoners, they're able to get away with it for a very long time, and they often dispatch of their victims quite quickly, though some do do it over years and years and years of slowly taking entire families out. But Holmes, he's almost the stand alone case because he is so different, and you know, he burnt down his castle in Chicago, and he had used a lots of different methods of killing, and there was some financial gain when he killed Benjamin Pizzel, and there's evidence has suggested that there were some sexual elements to some of his victims. But he's just a case that it was almost where can I put him? Because he can fit in so many different cases. I mean, you could also consider him a mass killer because his victims could have been, you know, in the hundreds as far as we're aware.
Speaker 6: Right now. With this collection, we talked beforehand that there is plans for a volume two, and in volume two, what would be covered in that new edition.
Speaker 2: I'd have to go and look at it. I know there's definitely cannibals in that. I know that volume three is almost going to be entirely our sex killers, so our Ted Bundy's and the like. But in the next one, I think I've got my medical killers as well. So when you look at Harold Shipman and a couple of cases like that, so our nurses who kill so Cullen and cases involving nurses. I mean, we've got wet Lafer in Canada which has just come through. So it's going to be just just that next section of killers that don't fit under that umbrella of serial killer as easily as we'd like them too. So there's about eight different categories in that. I would have to look it up approves. I haven't looked at it for a couple of weeks. I've been working on some other projects. But yeah, I know that the first chapter is cannibals. I'm opening with Dama, which is probably people will say he probably didn't eat a lot of his victims, but I mean there's pieces in the fridge for a reason, so he's definitely the opening scene.
Speaker 6: Absolutely. Yes, Yes, this isn't an incredible I don't know what to call it a collection, but an incredible look at serial killing and this and the way you categorize this and the dramatic examples. And again, I can't even imagine you having to hold some of the stuff that you held back with some of these stories like Mark Dutroux and Dean Coral, and we left a lot of those details out for the reader to discover because again, hard to read, hard to read the incredible evil that these people perpetrated on their victims, and when you see other children put into servitude with this evil person, it's just again it's visual to me. Yeah, the images that were created with this book. So I want to thank you very much Amanda for coming on and talking about killer minds. You mentioned earlier, and I forgot to mention you also are a podcaster, So why don't you talk about your podcasts and how people might be able to find it, and also if you have a website for your books or for a personal website, let us know about that.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, my podcast is called Monsters Who Murder Sit there with Killer Confessions. We've just done our first two seasons. Basically, I use a lot of my first hand experience with a lot of these killers, so I use their own words, recordings, information in letters and all of that sort of stuff. So basically the words of the killers, and then I break down not so much the killings themselves, but the motivations and the psychology behind it. So that's Monsters Who Murder. I also have a Monsters who Murder dot com website, as well as Amanda Howard dot com dot a U website which is sadly out of date because I'm busy. But people can also find me on Twitter at Amanda Howard seventy three, and on Facebook and Instagram and all of those. I usually just Amanda Howard author or something like that. I'm pretty easy to find and I'm often on there, so I'm in lots of Facebook groups. I'm in Dan's group and all these sorts of places, so I'm around and I'm happy to talk to people about these cases. So this is what I do. They call me the serial killer Whisperer because I seem to get some information out of some killers that no one else does. I've had a couple of marriage proposals over the years and a few things like that. They sent some very interesting gifts that I do talk about on the podcast, so please come and find me.
Speaker 6: Absolutely going to check that out. Absolutely. Thank you very much Amanda Howard for coming on and talking about the killer minds and insight into the mind to serial killers. It certainly has been a pleasure. Thank you very much, Amanda Howard. You have a great evening and hope to talk to you again real soon.
Speaker 2: Good Thanks Dan, thank you, good night, Thanks all.