Speaker 1: Time for Rich to morrow? Are tech guy. Rich is seen every day on k t l A TV. Every Saturday. He's here at eleven am to two pm on the rich on Tech Show and Instagram at rich on Tech website, rich on Tech dot tv.
Speaker 2: Rich.
Speaker 1: At some point, you're going to be changing your name to rich on tech you're legally.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that. Yeah, a lot of people sort of know me by that name anyway, but I like my real name too, so we'll stick to both for now.
Speaker 1: Okay, fair enough to morrow? Why not? All right? A couple things that I want to talk about, and that is you attended Apples event and we really don't know much about it. We don't know enough about it in advance because they're pretty good about hiding what they're going to talk about, aren't they.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're pretty good about it. There are some rumors, but yeah, this is their Worldwide Developers Conference that it's happening this week, and I was there yesterday for the main keynote, which is where they kind of give you all the updates on the software that's coming soon. Would you like me to talk about the iPhone first known?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because that's what everybody has and that's what I have. I still know how to work it. Yeah, go ahead, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Mean this is a big part of Apple's business, the largest part of Apple's business, and they are number one. They're changing sort of the naming convention of all of their software. So instead of iOS nineteen coming out in the fall, it is going to be called iOS twenty six. Similar to the way that the car company is named cars. You know, the current model year is named the next year. So that's what's going to happen, just to make it easier for people to understand, Okay, I'm running iOS twenty six. That's from the year twenty twenty six. And don't forget the software comes out initially in September, but then new features trickle out throughout the year. So I think it's smart that they put the next year. So that's number one now in iOS, the big feature. So of course everyone's going all in on AI right now. Has had some setbacks with AI. They're not where they wanted to be. They're trying to come up with this smarter serie that can look into your email and your messages and your photos. That's not happening. They said, that's basically delayed for up to another year, which is pretty wild given the advancements we've seen from Chat, GVT and Gemini. So what do we get on the iPhone. We get a whole new look and feel called Liquid Glass. I went hands on with it yesterday in a demo and it looks cool. It looks different, think translucent, much more bubbly, almost like water on glass. Everything looks like a pane of glass. So a lot more see through stuff.
Speaker 1: And hold on a minute, I'm a little confused here. Are you talking about the not the body of the phone. You're talking about the screen or the entire body.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's a screen. But it's interesting that you say that, because if you think about the iPhone, what is it at a tar, It's just a slab of glass. And so I think they're really playing upon that idea that this thing can become anything. And now everything is sort of a sheet of glass on top of the glass. So your lock screen, when you slide it up, it's sort of like see through your notifications, see through your app icons, see through menus, see through. So some people are saying it's too see through. It might get annoying, but again, this is a whole new look and feel. Apple says it's the first the biggest redesign in about a decade when it comes to actual new features, and it's sort of light on the new features. I mean, there's little improvements here and there, but I think people will be most impressed or most happy with the new call features. It's going to screen for scam call, so if someone calls you that you don't know, it's going to ask them, hey, why are you calling, and it's going to put that information on your screen, and then it's going to ring your phone with that information. It'll be like, Hey, it's Sandy from the furniture company. We're outside trying to deliver your couch. Okay, you pick up the phone. You let them in. Same thing with your messages. And also they have whole thesist, which means if you're on with an airline or your utility company, here's that whole music. It will say, hey, do you want us to hold for you? And then we'll ring your phone when someone picks up.
Speaker 1: Oh that's kind of neat, I know. Is that worth? I mean, is that worth eleven or twelve hundred dollars? I don't know, But is anything and how much is this puppy by the way, this doe.
Speaker 2: Well, so at WWDC they do not show off the new phones. In fact, there was no new hardware whatsoever at this year's event. It was all software based. Some might say it was a little underwhelming, given, like I said earlier, all of the strides we've seen with Gemini and with Chat GBT, and Apple really had almost nothing to say about AI in this presentation. Of course, Apple continues to build their AI, which they call Apple Intelligence, but again this is really focused on sort of the features of the software. I'm trying to think of some other things that people might like in this new iOS. You know, messages is going to get backgrounds which people might like. There's live translation, which if you do speak with someone in a different language, it will have live translation on both your phone calls, on your I messages and also your FaceTime calls. So that was really an interesting demo where someone was speaking a different language on FaceTime and in real time you share you see the translation of what they're saying on screen, which is pretty cool.
Speaker 1: All right, take a break, We'll come back because I have a few other things, some iPad news and the Nintendo's switch to which you tried, and we'll get a review there. This is KFI. It is a Tuesday morning, June tenth. Back we go more with Richard Moureau, kfi's tech guy, also the KTLA tech guy seen every day on TV at KTLA. Rich moving on the iPad. Now, I happen to have an iPad, I have my phone, I am my iPad, and I really don't use a computer that much, even though I'm looking at one now in the morning, I do tell me what's new about the iPad? And do I get one another one?
Speaker 2: Well, this is the beauty of it. You actually don't need a new iPad. And Apple has done something that people have been talking about for years, something Steve Jobs did not want to do, and that is to turn the iPad into sort of a desktop computer. How are they doing it, Well, they're adding Windows, so not the software. But now, if you've ever used an iPad, which many people have, you know that you open an app and then you go to the other app, and then you go back to that app, and then you go to that app. Well, now with Windows, each app is in its own window, just like a Windows computer, where you can minimize, you can resize, you can float, you can have multiple windows on the screen, and there's also support for a new mouse pointer and a new menu bar. And so basically they have now given people the option of do you want to use our laptops, our Mac desktops, or do you want to use an iPad that can do a lot of the same things that you can do on a desktop computer. That's coming soon in the new software called iPad OS twenty six.
Speaker 1: And I just put it on my existing iPad. It's just a software update, or I have to buy a new one.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's gonna work. Yeah, it's gonna work on you know, pretty much the whole range of iPads, from the Mini to the pro, obviously depending on the model number. You know, how old these things are. I imagine it takes a lot of horsepower to run this software, because yesterday when I was getting a demo of it, you know, they had the latest, greatest iPad and you know, it was not slow, but it definitely takes much more horsepower than what they've been doing in the past. So I think you'll need a modern iPad to do that. But I think for a lot of people that have been sort of riding this line of do I want an iPad that can do fun stuff like watch Netflix, or do I on a computer that can do important stuff like check my email? Now you have the best of both worlds built into one device that can do it all pretty much. And it's touchscreen, which is nice, all right.
Speaker 1: The Nintendo Switch. To talk about that, Now, I'm not a big gaming person, but it is well obviously it's a multi trillion dollar business and my daughter is into it big time. So you tried it, tell me about it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I've got a review unit from Nintendo. It's brand new. It's the first kind of update in eight years from Nintendo, the first new device, fully new device, and everything has improved so it's bigger, the screen looks better. The controllers have this new magnetic mechanism that helps them snap into place much easier than the old way. The games, Oh my gosh, Bill, it used to be if you had a family of kids that were trying to share games on the Nintendo Switch, it was a pain. Now Nintendo has taken that customer feedback. They have made changing games and swapping games with friends and families playing the same game so much easier, which I think is probably one of the best new features. And then they've given kids the ability to chat with their friends inside the games. So I think Nintendo realize that a lot of kids are already playing this way. They're playing on their computer with FaceTime next to them with their friends, or they're on Twitch live streaming with their friends. So now on the switch, built in is a microphone. You press a button and next thing you know, you can chat with your friends while you're playing the game, like voice chat with your friends, and optionally you can add a camera. Now, this is expensive. It's four hundred and fifty dollars for the console. It's five hundred dollars if you get the new Mario Kart racing game. I do not expect any price drops before the holidays. And when it comes to easy to get a hit or miss, if you put your mind to it, you'll probably be able to get one of these. But I don't think it's as easy as walking into a store right now just yet.
Speaker 1: Okay, so when you say five hundred dollars for the Mario package, that's not five hundred dollars additional. It's just incremental from what four fifty to five hundred do I have.
Speaker 2: That right, Yes, except the game if you bought it by itself, games, you're running now about eighty dollars, so you're paying only fifty more dollars instead of eighty more dollars. So if you're going to play the Mario Kart game, you probably want to go with the bundle because if you sit there and say, oh, just buy the game later, well, now you're spending extra thirty dollars. And by the way, eighty dollars games. I mean this is this is a pretty big kind of jump in price increase for the Nintendo Switch games, which used to be you know, anywhere from forty to sixty dollars. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you a question rich about the entire industry gaming and apps and of course new technology. The ten major apps that have come out in the last two three years, for example, where the creators have become literally billionaires. Have any of them gotten their driver's license? Yet?
Speaker 2: It's funny you say that I interviewed. Remember that that app watch Duty that everyone was using. You're in the fires? Yes, okay, so it was given everyone like the updates and like you know where the fires were. View the creator of that app yesterday and he walks into the room. I said, and he's this young kid. And I was like, I would have thought you were like ten times older than you are right now. Like I don't know why. I just thought, like fire app, you know, you had all this, you know, you were like an old school like firefighter or something. And no, the guy is just like a startup kid. He is like a young guy. And he's like, well, thank you. But yes, a lot of these people. And I interviewed a student that wrote an app yesterday. I mean, you know, look, the beauty of writing an app is that anyone can do it. If you learn how to do it, you can write an app. And yes, there have been many people that have been made millionaires from just coming up with a good idea and selling it, which I still love. I love that idea that people can do that.
Speaker 1: All right, Rich, Well, catch a Saturday here eleven am to two pm KTLA every day, Instagram at rich on Tech website, rich On tech dot tv. Catch over the weekend, Rich and then of course next week right here, have a good day, you too,