Speaker 1: It's been almost four years now and we're coming up on another presidential election. The election in twenty twenty was greatly disputed, and it's not the first time that a presidential election has been greatly disputed in this country. And I mean, for gosh, it's been eight years since twenty sixteen and Hillary Clinton is still claiming she won. But that being said, there have been people in jail for almost four years because of their involvement with something called January sixth. Our next guest is the wife of one of those political prisoners, and also the co founder and executive director of a group called Stand in the Gap, an organization committed to providing vital support to January sixth defendants and their families. And there's more evidence than ever before the January sixth and the criminalization of exhibiting your First Amendment right to freedom of speech and to redress grievances with your government, that the aftermath and the reaction was all a setup, the deep state, the media getting away with the crime of the century. That's the question, are they The Department of Justice Justice Inspector General does not deny that FBI informants were among that crowd. January sixth, and it's been denied loudly by those who say that January sixth was nothing but a chance to take over the country in some kind of treasonous action, illegal action, and that this was a violent crowd. Overall, the transcripts have shown us that President Trump used or urged use of ten to twenty thousand troops to protect the capital, but was rebuffed by both Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer, and also of the Washington d C.
Speaker 2: Metro Police.
Speaker 1: Let's talk to Sarah mccabee for a few moments as we continue. And I didn't want to eat up all the time with that introduction, Sarah, but it has been a long, hard slog, obviously for you and for everyone else who was detained or falsely imprisoned over being at the Capitol on January sixth, twenty twenty one. So kind of give me an idea of your specific personal story.
Speaker 3: Absolutely well, thank you so much for having me on and giving us a voice, because even for almost four years later, January sixth is too political, even on the conservative side. As we gear up for what, in my opinion, the biggest election in American history. My husband, Ronald Colton mcabee was an off duty law enforcement officer of seven years, and he went to January sixth to air his grievances with his government, not knowing what was going to unfold, and unfortunately, you know, he never set foot inside the Capitol. But what he witness that day was police officers being assaulted. He stepped in to help two officers, ended up being assaulted himself by a police officer, and he tried to save the life of Rosean Boulin. So for seven minutes of his life for jumping into action, in my opinion, being a hero that day, they threw the book at him. He's been detained since August of twenty twenty one. He went to trial, was found guilty on all of his charges and sentenced to seventy months in federal prison where he currently resides. What and a lot of people don't, oh go ahead.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I'm sorry. What were the charges against him?
Speaker 3: Every time he went to pick up officer Andrew Waite, who was a Metropolitan Police officer, they charged him with assault even though he was lying on the ground communicating with the officers, letting them know that he was one of them and he was helping them and the officers acknowledged that he was helping them.
Speaker 1: So how do you charge him with assault when he's there to actually render aid?
Speaker 3: You know, that's a really good question. I had a district attorney here in DC, or excuse me here in the Middle Tennessee of Nashville area, Middle District of Tennessee that said one, a grand jury would have never indicted him on the charges because the same video evidence that they used against him exonerated him. And even if they did, he either would have been acquitted or exonerated on all of the charges if it wasn't in Washington, d C. And that is why there has been no change of venues for the almost fifteen hundred January sixth defendants. Because it's a ninety nine point six conviction rate in Washington, d C.
Speaker 1: It sounds like a court back in the old Soviet Union in the Washington DC prison system has been cast by others as a goolog.
Speaker 4: Yes, it absolutely is so a kangaroo court without the kangaroos and just a lot of bad justice being deld out on a political basis.
Speaker 1: Your husband is a political prisoner. We are not supposed to have political prisoners in this country. We're above that. Our constitution says we're above that, and it's all been ignored to this point, not just in your husband's case, but in case after case after case of those incarcerated in the wake of January sixth. What are we doing about it?
Speaker 2: Sarah? What are you doing about it?
Speaker 3: You know, I would have thought I still had faith in this justice system before my husband was charged, and you know, it was really trial by fire, realizing that we are not following our constitution or any of our founding documents, that Congress is turning a blind eye to what's currently going on to their own constituents, and so you would have thought there was organizations out there like the ACLU and the Innocent Project and all of these groups that were made for this very thing, but they didn't want to touch it because it was January sixth and too political. So I ended up co founding a nonprofit foundation to help these individuals and their families. Because what a lot of people don't understand. As we gear up for these election, they're like, well, President Trump's going to get in and he's going to pardon them. And while we absolutely have hope and faith that that is going to happen. It doesn't change that the majority of these people have lost everything over the last four years, including some of their immediate family members, and so they're coming out with nothing, no homes, no cars, no careers. And so that's where we as the American people, need to step up and we created a project called the Road Home Project that is going to build tiny homes for these families to be able to be reunited again when they walk out of those prison walls, and to start the healing process where we have businesses and business owners that are going to hire these individuals regardless of their charges, because right now that is where the process is the punishment where regardless if they come out unscathed in January of twenty twenty five, you can't go back and change the last four years what's happened to them.
Speaker 2: Oh No, there should be multiple.
Speaker 1: Multi million, maybe billion dollar lawsuits filed against the federal government, the Department of Justice and Washington d C and their authorities, mauryel Bowser and Capitol Police and all the rest. There was only one protester who was killed on January sixth. There was only one person who was There was not a Capital cop that was murdered. There weren't six, as some of the sickophants of the Democrats say, that were murdered by this violent mob on January sixth.
Speaker 2: There was only Ashley Babbitt, who was an unarmed who was an armed.
Speaker 1: Air Force veteran who was actually in the Capitol and she was trying to get people out of the capital when she was shot by a Capitol police officer who was hailed as a hero. Your husband did not even go inside the Capitol and yet sentenced to seventy months in prison for assault on an officer that he was trying to help.
Speaker 3: Yes, and I believe that they threw the book at him, because I will have to correct you and tell you that there were four American citizens that died on January sixth, two at the hands of the Capitol police, Rosean Boulin and Ashley Babbitt. You're absolutely correct that they were not killed by this mob that they call it. And then two individuals that had passed away in the crowd because.
Speaker 1: Of health issues.
Speaker 3: But that was only after the Capitol Police started firing into a peaceful crowd. And that is the problem is that four years later, we still don't have an investigation into January sixth, and I will say that, as of right now, unless President Trump gets in and writes new legislation or signs new legislation, the federal government, the Department of Justice, the Capitol Police, the Metropolitan Police, mayor Bowser, everybody in Congress operates with impunity, meaning that if they get out, they say, you could never successfully sue them because they operate with impunity. And that's a problem. There is no accountability for these three letter agencies, for the prosecute or the judges that is orchestrating the circus.
Speaker 2: Well, the best thing would be to just dismantle some of these.
Speaker 1: Agencies because none of them are constitutionally founded. There's nothing in the constitution that says you have to have, for example, a Department of Education or a Department of Energy. They are just extensions of an already obese government that, as you mentioned, operates with impunity and does whatever they want to do, regardless of what the law says.
Speaker 5: Sarah, Yes, No.
Speaker 3: I absolutely agree with that. It all goes back to we are operating this way because we allow it to happen. We're continuing to fund these persecutions and the omnious bill that was passed July of twenty three. There was another three hundred and fifty million dollars given to the Department of Justice just for January six cases. And so we as American citizens are funding this because our representatives aren't representing us in the fact that we have no say in what happens with our tax dollars.
Speaker 1: What happened to of buy and for the people, Sarah.
Speaker 3: That's a good question. I would also like to know what happened to our constitution and literally says in Washington, d C. On their license plate, no taxation without representation. And that's where we currently are. We have a deep state that is running this country, evil powers that are running this country, and we are going to lose it if we the people don't start doing the right thing.
Speaker 2: We got to step up.
Speaker 1: We can't be complacent, We can't be lazy or think that we can't make a difference anymore.
Speaker 2: How is your husband Ron doing?
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for asking. You know, it's one day at a time. And when I say that, it's you just never know what's going to come your way. You know, for you to be sitting in prison as an innocent man at the hands of your federal government. Knowing you did the right thing, but watching your life get destroyed on the outside is a very hard thing to deal with. But I truly believe that his faith, in our faith walk the Lord, is going to get him through this. We don't know what the end looks like right now. Our story is still being written. But that's one thing that we are not going to do where you're not going to go down without a fight, because we know in our hearts what is right and what is currently happening is wrong, not only to him, but to January sixth defendants across this once great nation.
Speaker 1: How can people find out about more? Find out more about your organization, Sarah.
Speaker 3: Mccabee if you go to Sarah mccabee dot us on there it tells more of our story, all the video evidence that we talked about today on this call, as well as the foundation where you can go and support us.
Speaker 2: All Right, it's stand in the Gap.
Speaker 1: Sarah mccabee, the executive director, founder and the wife of a January sixth prisoner on the nightcap, thank you for your time and praying for you and hope your husband gets out of prison soon.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. Let's God, bless God, bless you.
Speaker 1: On the other side, something completely different. We're talking baseball in the World Series on seven hundred WLW. As we come to you at what has been a weird, weird day with Iran attacking Israel, We're going to turn our attention to America's pastime, the Fall Classic and a brand new book that is just out called Shadows of Glory, Memorable and offbeat World Series Stories, authored by Dave Brown and Jeff Rodeimer, who was our guest this evening on the night Cap And Jeff, welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: How are you.
Speaker 5: I'm doing great, Garry, thanks for having me on.
Speaker 2: It's great to be with you.
Speaker 1: And we scheduled this a couple of weeks ago in anticipation of the book coming out, and you were doing the media hits this week and who knew that the day after Pete Rose had died we would be talking about the World Series. And as you mentioned, Pete Rose was made for the World Series.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean in our lifetime and they were about the same age. I mean, who else but Pete really was made for the big stage. Other maybe this guy like Reggie Jackson. But I mean, when you're talking about a big game player. You know, he played on three different World champions, you know, Pete. It just didn't didn't seem that he would ever be gone. You know, he still saw him in interviewing, signing autographs. There's that new special that they have out on HBO about him that I think it's a three or four part documentary. So it's just hard to believe he's gone.
Speaker 1: No, Jeff, three days ago, Pete was out at an autograph signing. I know people who were there, and yeah, what was also not disclosed to the public. And my assumption, and I don't know. I'm not a medical professional and I wasn't there with Pete, but my perception from what I've been hearing for the last year is that Pete was in not good health at all. He's eighty three years old and at this card signing, supposedly he was in a wheelchair just two three days ago. So well, it's shocking. It's not to be unexpected. A lot of people, as I've mentioned before, die of eighty three. They have determined the cause of death yet in Las Vegas. But let's get onto this book. Yeah, yeah, no doubt, Let's get onto you and this book and your involvement in this book Jeff Rodeimer Shadows of Glory. You became a baseball fan, attended your first major league game in nineteen sixty six. I was about a year behind you when my third grade class took a field trip out to Wrigley Field. We lived in suburban Chicago at the time, and I just was My eyes were just wide open, my mouth dropped the first time I walked in to that incredible venue and saw the ivy on the walls. It had an atmosphere of its own, really it did. What was your first.
Speaker 5: Game, Well, it was the Yankees of the mid sixties, right after they started going downhill, after Mantle and Whitey Ford were starting to lose their grip, and they were playing the Washington Centers. It seemed like every game that my father took me to was against the Washington Senators. But like you, I just I remember just walking into that huge stadium, that incredibly green field, and I mean, I was already a baseball fan, but I was hooked after that, There's no doubt about it. And you know, you fast forward another ten or twelve years and I meet Dave Brown at Gettysburg College in Pennsylvania, and turns out we've got this, you know, shared crazy love of baseball, baseball trivia, statistics, baseball history. Then you fast forward to two thousand and David started a writing career of his own in his first book as a baseball trivia book, and you stayed in touch all this time, and it led up to us collaborating on this book, starting really in about twenty nineteen.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at the back of the book because I don't want to give away the great stories you guys have compiled for this, But this quote from Mickey Rivers, who was a center fielder for the seventy seven and seventy eight World champion Yankees and the nineteen seventy six World Series team. He said, I once played a game for the Texas Rangers while I was still on the roster of the New York Yankees, so I know all about the crazy and unusual baseball stories. Shadows of Glory is full of these kinds of stories from the World Series, like the time the owner of the A's tried to throw one of his own players off the team in the middle of that seventy three series. Do you have any because I haven't delved deeply into the book yet, Jeff Rohdeimer, But have you guys have stories about the Reds in the World's series, the Big Red Machine, and you know, especially the nineteen ninety World Series where the Reds went wire to wire and then swept the Oakland A's Do you have some memories of that in shades of glory?
Speaker 2: Well shadows glory in fact?
Speaker 5: Yeah, And you know, the theme of the book is kind of lesser known, underreported, maybe odd or curious things that people might have even forgotten in some cases. But the nineteen ninety one is a good one because you know, we think of the World Series as this incredibly polished, you know, Madison Avenue PR event. That's what it's become, right. You know, every major network has a cast of analysts and ex players, you TBS, MLB, Network, Fox, ESPN, they've all got coverage of these games, right, So it's hard to believe that some of these things could have actually happened in a World Series, and again maybe at a time when it was lesser a pr event, but in nineteen ninety he you know, you got Tom Browning, who was a really good pitcher for the for the Reds, disappearing from a game because his wife is about to give birth, and he leaves the stadium in uniform, thinking he's not going to pitch because he pitched the day before and that he's not going to be needed. But while he's on his way to the hospital and apparently nobody really knew where he was going, Loop Panella starts getting worried that this game is going to go into extra innings and he might need some of these guys to step forward, and he calls down to the bullpen and he sells the bullpen coach get browning warm and they have to call him back and say, we don't know where he is. And sure enough, he's gone to the hospital in full uniform for his wife's delivery. But this is you know, free cell phones for the most part, and there's no way to get in touch with him to tell him come around to get back. So they put the word out first of all on the local broadcast of the game. I think through the Cincinnati announcers that hey, you know, Tom of listening to this broadcast, please go back to the ballpark. Lukenel is looking for you. And the nationwide broadcast and I think it was Tim McCarver, who was doing the game, who will probably NBC at the time, gets wind of what's going on, and then they broadcast that same plea over the air of the entire national audience that's watching the game, and eventually it gets it gets through to the hospital where where Brownie is, but he's not going back at that point. He's he's where he is and he's not coming back to the stadium. So but you just don't think of something like that happening in today's superstructured, organized, you know, world series climate. So yeah, that was that was probably the big red story of the book. Again, you know, a lot of people in Cincinnati probably remember that, but the rest of the country probably has forgotten about it. Were Again, for us, the idea was that, you know, if we could write a story that a reader, maybe somebody a little bit newer to baseball, looks out and say, I can't believe that could happen in a World Series, then we know that we found something.
Speaker 1: Well, and you guys go way back, I mean, you go back to the actual beginnings of the World Series. I was just flipping through the book right now as we're talking. The book, by the way of Shadows of Glory, Memorable and Off the World World Series Stories, authored by Dave Brown and our guest Jeff Rodeimer, and I just turned to chapter five, Owners remorse. The only time in Major League Baseball history, maybe in the entire history of American sports, a team owner declined to accept a World Series championship. This was in nineteen twenty five, so obviously I don't remember, but it goes back to your what you just said about for the young baseball fan who has no idea about the history of the Fall Classic, the way you guys dived into it, tell me a little bit about this particular World Series.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that was one that Dave had picked out early that I knew literally nothing about. And I knew the story of the Washington Senators of the mid twenties and Walter Johnson's last few years, and in twenty four, the Senators had won an unlikely championship, and Johnson, late in his career was kind of the bell Cow. I mean, he helped bring that pen at home. But in twenty five, they're playing the Pirates and they get to a Game seven, it's all tied up, and Johnson's still with the Senators. But it is a terrible forecasts for the game. They decide they're going to play the game anyway. It's in Washington, and they start the game in torrential conditions and it only gets worse. And at the end of the fifth inning, the Commissioner of Baseball KNNI saw Mountain land Is, who was in the stands, waves the Washington owner over and says, I'm declayer in this game. Over, you have won the championship, And to his credit, the owner of the Senators said, nope, listen, we started the game in the rain. We knew what we were doing. We're finishing this game in the range. There's no way that the World Series is going to be decided on a five inning game. And they completed the game. Walter Johnson made another appearance, in this time Pittsburgh got to him and they won in an extremely sloppy game, but the Pirates ended up getting the World Series just four innings after the Washington Centers literally had it handed to them.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a great detailing not only of the history of the World Series, but the offbeat stories that people may not be familiar with, especially going back that far. For sure, it's also a Chronicle of American History. I mean, I'm looking at chapter thirteen. The title is The War, the Flu, and the Babe about World War One and the nineteen eighteen World Series.
Speaker 5: Your thoughts, Yeah, and that's one that was partly inspired by the fact that we were writing this book during the COVID pandemic, and in nineteen eighteen, Spanish flu, which was a bigger global pandemic than COVID, was running rampant through the United States. And not only that, you combine that with the fact that World War One was raging in Europe and a lot of players from the major leagues had already either enlisted or been drafted, and so this led to the first and only World Series it was ever played entirely in September, and ironically, the global pandemic was not the big deal during that World Series. It was more about World War One and the fact that the War Department did not want Major League Baseball to continue playing. They gave them an exception to finish the season by September first, and then that was supposed to be it, and then the owners pleaded with the War Department to let them at least finish out and played the World series, which they conceded and allowed to happen. So that's the oldest chapter in the book that goes back to nineteen eighteen. It's a chapter with a the Cubs and the Red Sox squaring off, and then the book end to that is the Cleveland Indian Chicago Cubs series in two thousand and sixteen. But in that twenty eighteen series, a whole bunch of things happened. It was the first time the star spangled banner was ever played. During the World Series, there was a threatened player strike when the players found out that the owners had conspired to cut the players cut of the profits and the World Series bonuses way down by giving off some of the World Series proceeds to the second and third place finishers in the regular season, and so they threatened to go on strike, and at the beginning of Game five they were nowhere to be found. They were going to strike until the president of the major of the American League stormed into the Red Sox clubhouse. Trunk is a monkey, and I promised to ruin them all, and they came out and they finished the World Series. And then something that is completely far into today's game in an effort to keep Babe Ruth on the bench on the days when he was not pitching, because he was still a pitcher for the Red Sox at the time, the Cubs decided that they were only going to have left handed pitchers pitched during the World Series. In over six games and fifty six innings, they had two lefties who pitched fifty four of those fifty six innings.
Speaker 2: Everybody, it's incredible.
Speaker 1: Everybody who's a Reds fan and a lifelong Reds fan and maybe a little bit longer in the tooth will remember Carlton Fisk's home run with the Red Sox against the Reds. But there were other things that obviously in the Reds won that series. Even though Carlton Fisk wins the with the walk off in that game, there were a lot of other things that happened in that World Series that are probably not as well known, but probably just as impactful as Carlton Fisk's home run in that particular series.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you know, that's a good point, because there were a lot of stories that we consciously stayed away from only the because we didn't think that we could bring much more to the table. So Carton Fisk's home run, and there were certainly some backstories there, but you know, the Perfect Game by Don Larson in fifty six, Reggie Jackson hitting three home runs in Game six of the seventy seven World Series. It's hard to, you know, to find something new that you can really write about. So our focus really was on some of these lesser known events. But over eighteen chapters we covered at least twenty two teams, including a chapter on the Negro League World Series of nineteen forty two, which, you know, for shenanigans and hijinks, it almost can't be beat. You know, the stuff that went on in that World Series absolutely would be foreign to anybody you know watching the game today.
Speaker 2: As good as the Savannah Bananas.
Speaker 5: Well, you know what, not too far off, because like the Bananas, they did a lot of barnstorming. And in fact, this is a world series where they decided that Kansas City and the Homestead Great would play each game in a different city. And right off the bat, you know, you read about this and you're thinking, oh gee, what.
Speaker 2: Could go wrong there?
Speaker 5: So after three games they find out that Game four, which is supposed to be in Kansas City, can't be played because they don't have permission and the rights for the stadium for that game. So the World Series gets stopped right in its tracks and they go on a hiatus of about eight or nine days. And so the teams did what they do, They went out barnstorming. And so now the Homestead Grades and the Kansas City Monarchs are actually playing exhibition games against each other to make money, but games that don't count. And so during the course of this barnstorming period, a bunch of the guys in the Kansas City Monarchs I'm sorry, yeah, they start, you know, kind of wandering or it's the Homestead Grades. They start wandering off. And so when they come back to complete the World Series, all of a sudden, they don't look like the same team. The Homestead Grades three ringers from the Newark Eagles on their team, and so they play the fourth game it's under protest. All the owners get together and they finally agree, now we can't allow this, and they finish out the series with the rosters that they started with. But you know, guys had left the team because they thought they weren't going to get paid sure, and they were afraid the World Series wouldn't start again, so they took off, and then you know, the owner of the Homestead, Gray starts reassembling a team that doesn't look at anything like the one that they started the series with.
Speaker 1: Jeff Rodeiver, thank you so much, Avid baseball fan. Co author with Dave Brown of Shadows of Glory, Memorable and Offbeat World series Stories. Hello to your wife Peggy, and to your parent Rocky, and thanks for joining us well.
Speaker 5: I appreciate it, and anybody who's interested in finding out more can go to Shadows of glorybook dot com. That's our website. And Gary, it was great to talk to you. Thanks for having me on. Thank you, sir,