Speaker 1: This is Sham and I with the Mets and welcome to Baplip's end Nerds.
Speaker 2: Hello An, welcome to Batlips and to the Baseball Podcast with a British twist. I am your host this evening, Russell Lisam, and just like MLB, I have two heavyweight titans with me today to discuss the World Series. I have my New York Yankees and Los Angeles Dodgers Big Swinger, so I have Rob Navera's how are you doing?
Speaker 1: Rob? I think heavyweights about right, I'm not sure about the rest of it. And I have Ben Carda. How you doing?
Speaker 3: Ben? Very well? Thanks you. I don't know whether to take that as a compliment or not. Two of the most hated podcasters out there. No one way to see these sea together, so.
Speaker 2: I think, well we'll start there. I think as an interesting point to discuss. I think we are all heavily online people, and I think anybody who probably is listening to this podcast as well is into baseball far more than.
Speaker 1: The average person.
Speaker 2: There's been an attempt by some to say that this is a World Series that people didn't want because it has two teams that are disliked, But we also have the best players playing on the ground is stage, which will mean that more and I don't want to use this word normies might get involved with what's actually going on. Isn't this a good thing for baseball? Rob, Yeah, of course it is. This is fantastic.
Speaker 1: There's that tweet doing the rounds about this is this is the fact the perfect World Series for people who bought a hat with a logo or becas it kind of looked cool, you know, like you could you could genuinely see someone start at a bus stop tomorrow with a Dodger's hat, sat next to someone with a Yankees hat. You could walk up to them and go, how about that, Aaron Judge and they will both look at you blank. So yeah, you know what, maybe one or two people who bought one of those hats will have well notice that it's on, or they'll see that it's going on, and yeah, yeah, most people like this is good. Like the World Series is supposed to be the about the best bit of the sport. It's the pinnacle. Like we know, it doesn't mean much because the one sixty two is what really kind of you know, sorts men from the boys. But if we're talking about a showcase for the very very best of the very very best. Of course, you want the Dodgers and the Yankees. That's when it comes down to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does feel weird that I don't feel that from a footballing side, Ben people do. The fact that when we get like Man City versus Real Madrid, or Bayern Munich versus Barcelona, like at the World's at the final in the Champions League, this is just an inherently online baseball take.
Speaker 3: I think so, and I think we're so used to the playoffs throwing up surprise packages that when the two one seeds fairly comfortably get to the World Series, it feels like we've been robbed in some way. And actually it seems clear to me that this has all been one big fixed by rob Manfreld of Major League Baseball, and that they've done this for ratings or whatever it might be. I forget what the exact conspiracy theory is, but no, look, we always every year have the possibility of this happening, it seems, because these are two very good baseball teams every single year who make it to the players and have a chance to get there, and one of them or both of them generally find a way to screw it up once October rolls around, but this time they haven't. And yes, it is very annoying that the two teams that are most popular and everyone has the hats and blah blah blah paying each other. But it's also great because it is the two best teams and that is the baseball that I want to watch. So yeah, it will be kind of painful watching one of these fan bases get to celebrate. But on the other hand, it's going to be great baseball for seven really good games, I hope. Yes.
Speaker 2: And that's something that I want to point out that there's a potential that this World Series will probably actually be more watched in Japan than it is in the US. I don't know if you just saw those some NLCS stats have been put out there, but twenty million people between the US and Japan watched the first game of the NLCS, of which twelve million were in Japan and eight people eight million were in the US.
Speaker 1: So this actually is a world series.
Speaker 3: People in Japan love Max Mountsy Huh.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, they took on newt Bar Maybe it or be a Tommy Edmond will be the next guy that they'll they'll all get into. But yeah, so obviously we've got Yankees versus Dodgers. I think we'll talk a little bit about how the Dodgers got here first, the postseason run for them, like the down fingers from Ben. There, we'll have to get through the Mets in a second. Obviously, I was heavily watching the other games in this in this postseason, and watched a lot of this on highlights. I don't I think probably most people in the UK watched this all on highlights because it was all at times that were basically not really friendly for a British audience. But these all sit these games kind of seemed to be fairly done early on in the games, Ben, do you disagree that we kind of watched not quite six blowouts, but six kind of not particularly close games.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was kind of a shame because it wasn't a great series of individual games. I think there was still intrigue and drama because you know that the Dodgers took the lead initially, the Mets called them back a little bit. It was split off. Two games went to City Field, but it felt like the series was always alive. But yeah, each individual game, especially when you contrasted it with all the things that were happening, particularly when the series on the other side moves to Cleveland. It didn't feel like we had that moment that was like super dramatic. Or if those moments happened, they were early in games, right where Peter a Lonzo break the game open in the whatever it was, second inning, or you know, the Dodgers would pour on early and just the game would be sort of decided by the time it got round to sixth the seventh inning. So that was a bit of a shame because I think, you know, the moments we love about the playoffs are those like late inning dramatic moments, and this series had the potential to throw those up. It just did quite delivererate in the end. And that's like, in some ways the duty of baseball. Like a lot of games aren't close, and that doesn't change because it's the playoffs. We want to see exciting games, and it makes us probably enjoy the ones that are really tense more. But yeah, that same as you, I didn't really watch much of this series, if any of it live. Maybe a few of the sort of alienings in some games, but yeah, even the drama watching the highlights package back was kind of gone by the time we got to the fifth or sixth inning, which was a shame. But for the Mets, like the fairy tale run, felt like it had to come to an end at some point. It for one moment that they might have one more sort of trick up their sleeve moving the series back to LA. It felt like that was their chance. For me and I are on the mound just having to throw a ballpen game. But in the end, LA was just too strong with the bat and you know, predit to them, they were the better team. I have my doubts, but but yeah, they thoroughly deserved the winning the series and probably go into this World Series as narrow favorites.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think we probably when we predict that they would make it this far, probably the output didn't come from quite the places that we anticipated. Tommy Edmond having a great series easily taking the the NLCS MVP, and k K can Ander's keeping his kind of postseason magic.
Speaker 1: In Form Roberts, It's like, is this what?
Speaker 2: Basically, because the Dodgers pay a lot of money to a lot of their players and they have a big squad, it doesn't matter if a lot of people get injured, they're still in a position that they're going to win games because they have their depth would be starters for quite a lot of other teams.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And it's not just the money. You look at that Dodgers team, it's born of the same same people who built the Rays. They've got that same way of thinking about people. And you know that they're still doing the old the old you win it in the aggregate, you know, they they've got the old moneyball thinking in there. They've got all that going on. So, yeah, absolutely, the Dodgers are going to be there. They're going to be ever present because every other team, seemingly almost every other team seemingly in the sport, seem to think you either go smart or you go with the money, when realistically the answer is why not both do both. That's what the Dodgers have done. Some years they've got there through being the very very best because their free agents are massive, and some years they've they've had people they've pulled out of nowhere. They've they've managed to turn around develop, you know, get that extra bit of value out of If you look at how the two teams are constructed, you'll find that Dodgers. Dodgers do have a lot more money in the free agents, but at the same time you would also probably trust the Dodgers more to develop the players. So that's why it is you can do. You can do a bit at both. If they had done one or the other, there would be a year where the Dodgers have bored and really flat in the last few years, like the Yankees did last year, like you know, but they don't. They've got both options. This year it was about clever stuff, having the backup rather than having the big guys, and it works.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think I looked just before we came on to look at what Baseball Perspectives has a good tool that you can look to see how much kind of war was missed due to injured players, and they are second with like nearly eleven war projected to be missed from like players missing like this season, second only to the Braves, who obviously losing Strider and Acunya for this season. But you can also look at it as like a percentage of like warp missed and when you do that, five or six other teams go past them because they've got more good players to fill in those spots. So we're talking a little bit more about the Dodgers lost it in a second when we get to our little competition that I have for Ben and Rob. On the other side, we saw probably one of the most entertaining like playoff series is in a while. I think obviously as a fan of one of the teams and the team that lost, to some of the excitement maybe was lost on me.
Speaker 1: But I think that to the neutral this was electric. This was what we wanted.
Speaker 2: We had some close games that had some key moments for both teams that came from one side, from Cleveland side, from maybe the less likely players, but from the Yankee side, came from those from the Beef Boys, from Judge, from Stanton, from Sodo. They really kind of hidden out of the park with all power. So go with universe, Ben, what did you think of that of that series?
Speaker 3: This series was epic. I mean, the only thing it was missing was a couple more games, right. I don't think I've ever seen a five game series that's meant to be seven that has given us this much in terms of drama entertainment, almost every game being on a knife edge. The combination of games three, four, and five were just incredible, Like the late enning drama Emmanuel Plasse basically the best picture in baseball year, seemingly completely falling apart at the end of games. Like you mentioned the big stars, Aaron Judge one so too hitting these unbelievably clutch home runs, you know when people write them off, Giancarlo Stanton being this other worldy October hero. And then yeah, on the guardian side, I mean that John Kenzie Noel home run, like I must have watched it two hundred times, Like that is one of the best moments I have ever seen on a baseball field. And I was again, I didn't watch that life. I was watching the highlights back, but like just the drama of that moment, everything that came before it, the bat flip, the call on commentary, like it was all just so perfect, and that was only to tie the game. Right then you had David Fry walking it off in the Havent thinning, whatever tempillning wherever. It ended up being. Yeah, No, it was brilliant that when we think about playoffs baseball and what makes it special, it's a series like this in games like we had there in terms of just lateening drama, back and forth leads relievers at one moment, shutting down a lineup at the next moment, unable to find the strike zone, and giving up clutch home runs. Yeah, it was. It was brilliant. It's a shame we couldn't get an extra game or two back in New York because, Yeah, the series, it felt like it deserved the extra game. And I think the Guardians, like, look, losing in five doesn't really do credit to how hard they pushed the Yankees. I think ask any Yankees fan what they've thought of that serious and it will have taken years off their life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that sad thing.
Speaker 2: Once again, it showed and I think when we're talking about the the Dodgers were not. As a Cleveland fan, I'm not upset that the Yankees or the Dodgers spend more money on their teams than me. I'm upset that my manager or my owner doesn't spend the money that he should spend to kind of put this together. Somebody was talking about the fact that like six of that kind of big part of that Yankees.
Speaker 1: Lineup, they're all done by trades.
Speaker 2: Yes, they give up prospects to do that, but anybody really could have got Soto for one year if they wanted to. It was just eat thirty million for one year, and he goes to the free agencies and you know that he's not taking the qualifying offer or whatever, so you don't have.
Speaker 1: To deal with that.
Speaker 2: But yes, this this Yankees lineup, I think obviously Torres kind of like getting back to what some people have thought he would be having good leadoff and volpay at the bottom of the order as well. Really, provided they got on base and the button the Yankees big like three drove them in. They drove in like seventy five percent of the runs that this team scored, which is kind of ridiculous when you think about what those three, these three players did well. From from another neutral perspective or maybe less neutral, as you obviously watch the Yankees a lot from from a from a raised perspective, does when you see that big three, does it just feel inevitable that one of them is going to probably do good each time they come through the order.
Speaker 1: It's the hope that kills you, isn't it. You know, you see them coming up and you run that gauntlet. If the Dodgers aren't without their gauntlet, don't get me wrong, but yeah, absolutely, it's I always feel like they haven't done that bad when I've watched them. You know, they they're pretty good guys. They've they've done all right at baseball. And yeah they are, I mean that there any team would have them and and they are scary. There's not much more to say about it, really, I mean that they are. They are just hellish, hellish to face the difference. The difference I think between these two teams coming into the World Series is you can almost steal yourself against the Yankees' core, whereas there's not as much of a soft belly to the Dodgers. I don't think so. The question is can you can you unlock it? Can you fix it? Can you work out? Work it out? What it is that's that's going to going to get these guys If there is a weakness, is there prison? But if there is that, that that's how you're going to beat the Yankees, and that that's what they've got to do.
Speaker 2: So just a quick thought to the Mets or the Guardians, which one of them team would you think is going to do better in next season? Goes Rob first.
Speaker 1: I don't really believe the Mets. I don't believe in the Mets, so I am going to say that the Guardians. It still feels like the Guardians didn't quite play as well as they could have done in the regular season. There's like the holes were glaring, There's there's still places that could just move back to the mean without without squinting too hard, whereas the Mets like like I don't I don't get what's in the water. Something changed when they visited London and and I don't think that's sustainable. The Guardians have shown over year and year and year that they keep doing this. They can do it, they can pull it out, they can do these little bits puidding around the edges. I think the Mets is a lot of chaos. That's kind of like barged into the right room rather than the room full of tigers and crocodiles. But it could easily have been the tigers and crocodiles and the Mets would have been torn to shreds. So based on the fifty four percent, I reckon it's the Guardians who are gonna be okay again next year. More likely like the Guardians, I think they could They're gonna get like ninety wins safely, the Mets have got that wild fifty wins or one hundred wins in them, and I think that's that's where it lands.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the one hundred and eighty million that's going off the books, which means probably means that another two hundred million is going on the books from Uncle Steve this time around. We just don't know who that's going to be. Ben, Are you going to change a habit of a lifetime and go with the Mets.
Speaker 3: I've never going to pick against my New York Mets, not after a season like this. They're almost two similar teams in a way, and that they both seem to be just cursed in that you know, how long has it been since the Guardians won the World Series A lifetime? There you go the Mets, I mean, they just seem to find ways to shoot themselves in the foot when it doesn't seem possible, And both of them seem to be maybe clearing a narrative a little bit this year. I think the Guardians certainly in there in the way they started to the scene how they feel a bit down the stretch, but their alds performances, the way that they took the Yankees all the way. This was the team that was legit this year. I think they'll be back again next year. They'll be very good again next year, especially with the way they developed starting pitching. But only one of these two teams are going to be in the one Soto sweepstakes. And it's not the Guardians as it. You know, the Mets can go out and Uncle Stevie can decide at any moment that he's going to go and get some superstar. I don't think it will be as simple as add one Soto win the World Series. But you know they're going to be competitive, and they've got a great roster, and even when you know awful things seem to happen to them, they'll find some grimis magic or something that will, you know, correct the course and get them back on the right track. So I don't think either team will go in to next season thinking or they won't be favorites among the bookies to win the World Series. But I think you'd be a thought to pick against them being back in October baseball again, Okay, or on fire one or the other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think the I think a lot of people have I've heard say that, like the Mets bit this year was bits, Like they didn't just have one bit, they just had lots of bits and that was their bit. And I don't think that's it. We'll see how that goes into the next year. So obviously we're now going to move on to the main event itself, the Taylor Tranmill Series, the World Series, where one man is already guaranteed himself a ring.
Speaker 3: If I've seen this.
Speaker 2: He obviously did the rounds a little bit online a couple of days ago. That given the fact that Taylor Shrenals played for both of these teams this season, going hitless for the Dodgers and then having a nice one one walk game for the Yankees, he's already guaranteed a ring. Unbelievable.
Speaker 1: He played appearances he had this year like ten eight eight exactly. There you go, yeah, eight appearance.
Speaker 2: But what what that did for me is I looked up then some people who have played for both of these teams this year that seem completely netly foreign, and I did not realize in some of the regards that they did play for these teams. But if LA were to win the World Series, the Nelson Lamette would get a World Series ring. Rocky second, Cavin Bigio would get a World Series ring, and Nick Ahmed Nick Armed.
Speaker 3: I have no recollection of any of those guys playing for the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and from the Yankee side, the funny ones I found were JD.
Speaker 1: Davis.
Speaker 3: Then that's JD. Davis, okay, sure.
Speaker 1: Nick Birdie of a pirate's long term fame.
Speaker 2: And the funnier one, which very much amused mister McGhee off the back Flips and Nerds, was Philip Bickford, who is basically spent a lot of time as a Dodger, then pick it up.
Speaker 3: But I mean, I do think that if these people are going to win World Series rings, they should have to show up to the final game of the series John Terry style full kit, just to go onto the the World Series rings and celebrate with the team. That would be great.
Speaker 2: It's more amazing when half of these players don't even like are not on these organizations anymore. It's not even the fact that like they're with the team and not in just not on the roster. Like I'm pretty sure all of these players aren't even on the rosters of these teams anymore. Holiday and Cank, Yeah, we also have a slight British rivalry as well, because Michael Peterson would pick up a World Series ring if the Dodgers were to make it. But obviously Jazz Chisholm is on the other side as well, who has the represented Team GB in the World Baseball Classic qualifiers back in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 1: So we're already guaranteed a World Series.
Speaker 3: Metal lads can't go.
Speaker 1: We should bring it here. We should all marvel at it. Although you probably can't get it through customs, can you gaudy and full of the value of it? Probably more than you're allowed to bring into the country.
Speaker 2: That okay, So, without further ado, this is the World Series between the Yankees and the Dodgers. And what I challenged Ben and Rob to do is we're going to do a draft of the squads. This is an attempt to see if we can better understand where teams are better, which team is better than the other, and give a bit of an incarnation to kind of like how we feel about some of these teams and some of these players going into the World Series. So I randomly flipped a coin using a coin using Google not an actually London and who has physical currency anymore? And Rob came up first.
Speaker 1: So oh great, Rob, I could show my hours right at the beginning. It's not having a clue what I'm actually doing so right, because there's an answer here, isn't there that I've not got? I don't think so, No, don't know. There isn't an There is an idea.
Speaker 2: I have an idea about what I think the strengths and weaknesses of these two teams are and how I think this draft will go. But I want to basically hear you two discuss it through, and then I'll.
Speaker 3: There's no secret, right answer, I don't think.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think the first three picks kind of get done on their own, and then after that is when it gets interesting. Yeah correct, Yeah, fine, okay, So one shall I go for Rob? He's got to come hot. Say that about two of them. I'm going to take mister Aaron Judge Judge, and then Ben.
Speaker 2: Give me any I think it's the fair reflection of what they are both right now, Wait, I wouldn't point to order.
Speaker 1: Sorry, just quickly, am I drafting a full team? Like I need to make sure I have every position filed?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: I were like one of every position you can have like three or four three or starters and a few three or four relievers if you.
Speaker 1: Want, gotcha, no problems, carry on. Sorry, I'm going to go too deep.
Speaker 2: We're not going to make you draft twenty twenty seven players on each other and Asparius, Tim.
Speaker 1: Hill or whatever. Sorry he was saying.
Speaker 2: No, I was saying that, like, the only X factor that might make me pick a Tani ever judged right now is that I'm expect expecting like game seven pitching appearance from that would be amazing? Wouldn't it to not pitch all season and then come out of the bullpen and like, as I.
Speaker 3: Think Dave Roberts was asked, wasn't he like, oh, would it tiny be available? Ony b? He was like, no, but would anything be better than Atani giving his arm a whirl in the dugout and wandering over to the bullpen in Game seven?
Speaker 1: I don't want him to, you know, I want to. I would really like this to be the same grid season, the sacred one hundred percent encapsulated DH season, where none of that goes into any thinking about the the wazzo Tani able to do it just as as a hitter, Yes, he was, that's I want it I want it pure.
Speaker 2: The other side to this is I see the potentially with Freddie Freeman, depending on how his injury continues, could they stick Otorney in the in the outfield and we finally get to see o Tarney fielding.
Speaker 1: But I'm up for that that one.
Speaker 2: Rob's okay with Okay, so to go with Judge, Rob, you will be taking well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, obviously I'll take mister Soto Juan. So I wait, but do I take him as a dher? Do I put him in left field?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: You probably he's playing field, But yeah, I'm playing him in the left field because I don't believe his defensive death and I think there might be other right fielders I'd like.
Speaker 3: This. Straft's not going very well so far because we're just both drafting the two teams that already exist. Because I'm going to take Mookie Bets.
Speaker 2: Well, you might have already got to part of what I was trying to get at, Ben, that how maybe even these two teams are at the top.
Speaker 3: There are some serious superstars on both sides sides, so Rob, So now it gets interesting.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 1: I can't just take all the Yankees, though, because I don't think they're the better team Garrett Cole, but Garrett Cole, Yeah, I mean, I'm just I. The other obvious thing about this exercise for me is I think there may be a little bit of a scarcity of decent starting pictures who have all their limbs attached.
Speaker 3: I won't argue with that. I'm tempted by another dodge. I but I'm going to mix things up otherwise otherwise quite the exercise. So give me, give me Giancarlo Stanton like any other time of year, not interested. But October Stanton is a different beast, and he's been red hot throughout the playoffs. I like that one, two three of him. That's Otani.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're paying either Otani or Stanton in the.
Speaker 3: Field, I guess so. Yeah, they're hit ingers.
Speaker 1: It just won't be a catch singers if it's stamping. Correct.
Speaker 2: No, there's been some really interesting pieces I think talking about, like having Coal I'm sorry, having Soto and Stanton like next to each other, like in a lineup where you have potentially like the most patient person who will looks in control every kind of like play appearances like swings are only like things that he needs to swing at. Has the play discipline, has the power in Soto and then Stanton, who can look awful. But if you make a mistake pitch to Stanton, that thing is a bliterated like that's what that's what he got when he hit that home run.
Speaker 3: He does it in the same at bat right, like he'll take a horrible swing at slider way out of the zone one pitch, and then the next pitch they'll douvel up on the slider but just miss the spot and bang gone. Like it does feel like there'll be times in this series where he will strike out in a massive spot and Yaki's fans will be like boo, because that's what they do when in their players do anything bad. But there will also be a time when he just hits a game changing home run and you just have to take to go with the bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you go back and look at that home run, just look to see where like Bonaylor is set up to take that pitch. He's set up like I think a foot outside the zone. That pitch was never meant to be anywhere near the zone. But hay a slider against one of the best players in the world.
Speaker 1: But if he has to bend over and do his shoelaces up, can probably tear every muscle up the backside of his body. Okay, rob okay? Controversial or is it? I'm going to take Austin Wells.
Speaker 3: Yes, controversial?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, controversialsial. I like Austin Wells potently, like even losing the catching rule. But he's a catcher who who who can hit a little bit. And Will Smith is not looking as hitty as we thought he would be, so I think I think Wells has got some in him, So I'm taking I'm taking Austin Wells. Also third in the war leader board for the end.
Speaker 3: Definitely the better defensive catcher of the two, isn't he if we compare him and Smith? So that you get the edge there with your with your pitching by having him behind play.
Speaker 1: And pitching is thank you for making my team sound better, Ben, I do appreciate. Yeah, Austin Wells. Look, I think catchers have been have been a bit of a if we're to pick a position that's not really shown in throughout all of the playoffs, with a couple of minor exceptions, I think catchers have been a little bit down this year, and I think some of the superstar catchers. The real mutos have taken big steps back this year as well, So I think I think there's a there's a value in a decent catcher at the moment, which which perhaps is a little bit more than it has been in the last few years when other guys have been a lot better and they're just they're just not quite as as stunning as they have been. Well, it'll be interesting to see.
Speaker 2: I think he has to probably quite significantly improve from his TS performance where he went one for seventeen.
Speaker 1: That one was a home run. He's saving them all up. So, Ben, who are you taking for your fourth pick?
Speaker 3: I'll go a bit leftfield too. I'm going to take Blake Trinan here. I think that he is the best bullpen arm on both rosters, and there aren't that many elite on bulpen arms on these two rosters. So I want to get him on my team because I feel most confident telling to him in the high leverage spots late innings.
Speaker 2: So Ben is taking the Stephen Voight approach to this, getting himself relievers before he has any starters, correct, Rob, do.
Speaker 1: I believe in the magic or do I go for someone who's actually good I'm gonna take Labor Torres, which is kind of maybe a bit of both. He's he has been fantastic recently. Maybe he's one of those big game players, But it feels like whenever I've been watching the highlights, I've always put it on and it's Labor Torres on base again and he can field. So yeah, I'm gonna take Labor Torres. Yeah. I don't think Labor labor gay or whatever it is. John Stirling will say.
Speaker 3: Another reason not to want the Yankees to win the World Series. Anyway, I will take I'll take College ford On. I think he looks really good in the American League Championship Series. I think his underline numbers have been great all season and in the playoffs. I think he's the best lefty starter out there, which probably quite helpful against whatever lineup Rob's putting together. Here. It's between him and the Dodgers best started. But I like Rodn. I think he's a bit more consistent, So give me him.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're doing starters. Then I'll go with the other. I'll take Flatsy from the Dodgers. If he is well, is he well, he's well, he's well, he's fine, Yeah, my shocks face. Rob was more than that. Was the first Dodger pitcher to be taken off the board. Yeah, you know, Walkabi has not been brilliant, that's what you're talking about. I know what you're talking about. I believe, I believe is Obviously he's had a pretty phenomenal season.
Speaker 2: Was a little bit rough with the Dodgers when he first arrived, but had a couple of very good playoff performances for them before he got beat up a little on the last one. But yeah, I think he's going to be somebody who's going to get you six innings. So if it's allowed to, we'll get you two times through the order at least. Too much issues Ben.
Speaker 3: The injury worries me, but give me Freddy Freeman. I think we've waited home enough now. Just he hasn't looked himself in the playoffs, and I think his mobility at first base is a genuine worry. But hopefully the time off will have done him some good. And it just feels like he's got, you know, like a hobble to the plate Kirk Gibson moment in him this World Series. Doesn't he like he'll go over thirteen to start the World Series, and then they'll just be a moment where he'll need to come up with a big hit, and he will. He's just such a pure brilliant hitter that I can't pass him up here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think obviously we kind of for people cast their mind back to when Cleveland were playing Detroit, Kerry Carpenter almost had one of those moments, gave them a go ahead hit but hobbled to first, or somebody somebody else managed to score from first to home.
Speaker 1: A very long single, yeah, Robbie, or hey, well, there's only one first baseman really left worth of down. But I'm not going to go for it because Ben's already got his first base. He doesn't need a first basement right now. So I'll put him in my back pocket for now. I think I might go with mister Chisholm.
Speaker 3: The jazz, a bit of a Homer, a bit of a jazz.
Speaker 1: He's got the magic, he's got the you know, that's what you want in the postseason. He might not be fantastic. He might be fantastic, you know, if it's not still really that suret because of the way the injuries will come with him. But he's got that magical spark that could set off at any moment. I think he probably is fantastic, So I'm gonna have mister Chisholm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, another one who didn't have a particularly great championship series, but I obviously can see him playing well. We know what he is capable of doing. He does have that kind of speed pile combination that not many players do. But obviously we'll wait to see what happens because he had no runs and no Ribby's in the in the last series. So as Rob saying that his due his due for at least regression to the mean, Rob, at least for.
Speaker 1: A regression to the mean. What my whole team is?
Speaker 3: Ben? Give me Yamamoto. I'm a little bit worried that. Yeah, he hasn't looked himself in the playoffs so far, which I think is why he slipped down the board, because usually you'd have him up there with with Cole as sort of the ace of the staff. But I don't think that's what we've seen, accepting small glimpses from him in the postseason, but the talent is undeniable. You know, if the Dodgers end up using him just in a sort of role where it's go out, give out your all for three innings and we'll do it. Will hit the rest from there. Then that's still super valuable. And if he ends up, you know, coming in relief in one of the later games, you know, he could be dynamite. So yeah, give me Amamoto.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yamamo. To think how it's lined up, is probably going to go game two. I think it has been confirmed with most people are talking about Flat he being game one and Yamamoto game two, so that could be yeah, game two in game six from him, So a big one to go against.
Speaker 1: Rodn Rob feel shortstop is not particularly deep, so I think I will take Anthony Volpey. I think there's a lot of nit in there. I'm not particularly fond of Volpi, however, I think he's probably just about the best offering out of those two teams. He's probably gonna play any games, so I think he's probably the best option out there, unless you believe in the magic. That's the thing, how many I believe.
Speaker 2: I don't even know how to find this because it's finding the really ces MVPs is a difficult thing to do. But I wonder if anybody's actually gone back to back as a Championship Series MVP and then a World Series MVP.
Speaker 1: But it's it's a very difficult thing to do.
Speaker 3: So Ben, Yeah, I'm seeing some differatism in mine and Rob's views because I would probably have both the Dodgers middlandfielders above the Yankees actually, so I I'll take Gavin Lux here second basement for the Dodgers, who quietly was phenomenal second half of the Dodgers. I don't think he's been quite as red hot in the playoffs so far, but a good, very very handy bat left you bat solid at second base. I think he's obviously one of those guys who had a lot of hypers as a prospection as a rookie and is kind of quiet down since then that he's settled into a really good baseball player.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, I'm not confident. Give me Hernandez. He is he fit?
Speaker 3: Yeah he is fit?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, n c s.
Speaker 3: But he's been very good before that, absolutely, Like.
Speaker 1: He brings not very much defensively, but yeah, he's gone awful lot of power. Like we know what Taoka is, He's been doing it for years. He's not he's not really deviated from what he is and he will continue to be what he is hopefully. So Also, I realized I've got forty many Yankees on my team, so I'm going to have Hernandez in right field because I put so to and left.
Speaker 3: I might switch them, but no one's taking Max MONSI right, Nope, Guinea Monci. He's he's so good in the playoffs. It feels like every year, and he's actually been excellent the third basis. Shit offensively, hasn't he which you know, not to be disparaging, doesn't look like he'd be great defensively at third, but he's been. He's been rock solid. And yeah, he's just got a great pedigree when it comes to hitting in October.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think one thing that has been quite remarkable that these two teams making it too that this series is actually that they are probably the two most patient at the plate. We'll have to see how this kind of continues into the postseason and how this continues in the in the in the in the finals game to actually kind of go through that, but yeah, I think it is. It's a very interesting one to watch, and Muncy is the exemplar of getting on base and doing damage when you see a bad pitch.
Speaker 1: So Rob I have always liked, probably again on a good move, I've always liked Michael Kopek. So I'm going to pick k of my first reliever because we're going to need relieve at some point, So Michael Kopek is my pick. He grows million miles an hour, was horribly mismanaged by the White Sox, and in the hands of the Dodgers, I feel like he could be over the next couple of years, one of the absolute best relievers, or maybe even a swing man. But he's he's got what it takes stuff wise, just need to get it point in the right direction. So yeah, Michael Copex could be could be big.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: There are potentially a couple of other arms I might have been for first, but I do like Copeck. I think he gives a good option for the Dodgers. And once again, if you want to talk about mismanaging by any sort of team, the White Sox are usually highest. I'm still kind of reeling from that piece that Ken Rosenthal I think wrote and the Athletic talking about like how backward like the White Sox are and still are, and how like cheap they are, the fact that they still like have like the tiniest like team plane compared to like everybody, which is just when you're skimping on like those sorts of things, that just gives you a bit of a reputation. Okay, Ben, who are you going with?
Speaker 3: I'll go relieve it too, and I'll go Luke Weaver of the Yankees, who I think had a shaky outing in the Alcs, but otherwise it's been pretty good at the end of games for the Yankees. For the Yankees this year, Yeah, it's a bit of a crap shoot in the late innings, so you kind of just throw someone out there and hope that they're on it on that particular night. But he's been been pretty good for a while and how as a sort of converted starter into reliever, as most of them seem to be these days. So I'll take him to fortify my bullpen.
Speaker 1: Okay, should be going for pictures, but I think I still want one more bat, and I want someone with a little bit of versatility, So I'm going to grab Tommy Edmund. Just a bill in a few spots. You can play a couple of places. He's not going to hurt you with the bat when he's playing in those spaces if you need to need to fill in some stuff. So I'm going to take Yeah, Tommy, why not? And he's my utility man. Utility.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we've obviously there's been a lot of words written about Edmund in the last few days given his performance, but completely lily underradar deal that happened. I don't think anybody was talking about just adding some depth. Didn't play at all as he'd been injured, and I actually had been played I think poor for the Cardinals in his some of his rehab games as well. So yeah, just we know that he can do well, especially against the platoton side.
Speaker 3: But I'll Takedez probably slott In as my short stop, I guess, but another versatile player just loves showing up when when October rolls around. Feels like he's been playing for decades at this point, but he's still pretty good in a pinch.
Speaker 1: Which are the crap pictures? Do you take? We both need another start to heart, really know which way to go. Who is mostly dead, who's going to fill some innings? Maybe you just you pick the guy who's not played very much. Maybe I'm going to go with Kasparius tim I'm doing it.
Speaker 3: Who knows?
Speaker 1: Absolutely? You have to say, the rest of them are proven. They're not really up to much muster at the moment, So why not let's take him any good? Is he any good?
Speaker 2: Well? He does still have He did four point one innings over three appearances with the zero runs given up and just two pits.
Speaker 1: So we go. But he's over how many innings, sorry, over how many starts? He has not started? He is not a starter, Rob, but he is listed as a starter of the death charts. That's how bad it is for the Dodgers. And that's the point I'm trying to make right here.
Speaker 3: Bullpen game, That's what Rob's going for here with his one other reliever.
Speaker 2: Like the people that have started their game games from ballpins our Copig who did one, and Brazier who did the other.
Speaker 1: I picked him. I don't care. I don't care what you say. Okay, find me a better option out there for starting. Pick the guy you never heard of? Are still there and it's a punk Rob, I like it. You can't stay there.
Speaker 3: I'll go with Luis Heel as my starter. I don't really trust Buler I know he was quite good in his last start, and that he seems to be finding a way. Was it that sweeper he threw, that sort of it never he'd never thrown before, and seem to be better than he'd looked in previous outing to the Dodgers. But he's been mostly rubbish this year, whereas Hill has been mostly good. And I know he hasn't pitched much in the playoffs yet, but I think if the Yankees need him for a start, he'll probably be good. And if they end up using him more as a bullpen arm, he could be really electric. So give me him.
Speaker 2: Okay, three or three or four more picks?
Speaker 1: What I need? I need a d H first baseman and a starter. I've worked it out here, so uh, I'm gonna take Clark Schmidt. He's serviceable, and that's about all we can say at this point. He is serviceable. So yeah, I'll have Clark Schmidt as my final starter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think he's going to be going. He'll probably have the Game four against the against I'm most likely a Dodger's bullpen game, so potentially it's probably actually the most likely Yankees picture to pick up a win in any of the games, just because it'll be in Yankee Stadium versus a Bullpuen game.
Speaker 3: I've competedly lost track if he's on my team, but I'm gonna take Andy plahez. I think I might eat a centerfielder, so give me oh.
Speaker 1: A p yep, you do you need two more outfielders? Well he needs one.
Speaker 2: You can put one of Stanton or.
Speaker 1: Okay, fine, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I do have to admit something from watching this NLCS. I've been calling him Andy Pages for almost the higher season.
Speaker 3: I mean that is why it was too just spell, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, why wouldn't you until someone's told you otherwise? Why would you think anything else? So I guess that's foine.
Speaker 2: I haven't really watched many Dodgers games throughout the season, like and Pages. When somebody was like it was like parhas, I was like, who the hell is this?
Speaker 1: Have I completely missed and missed somebody?
Speaker 2: And it's like, oh no, it's just the name, my freaking modern day hermione if that was the same for any of you. But yes, I have to just have to call everybody like Hams instead or whatever or Rob keep vamping.
Speaker 3: I am still really stuck.
Speaker 1: You know John Bertie's sound looked really intriguing at this point. Ah, I'm just going to take I've kind of got to at this point, like what what else is the option? I mean like you're kind of looking at the rest of them squinting, thinking did you play in a bind? Could you play at first base? But I'm just gonna have to take Rizzio. It's just it's a dearth, it's a death at first pace. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think Rizzo obviously he kind of hit well against Cleveland, so I can't really like when where he is like lower down in the order now, which just did his job.
Speaker 1: I think enough.
Speaker 2: So it's not the same player we were thinking about when it was. It's not twenty sixteen anymore. But he's still beating Cleveland in the postseason.
Speaker 3: Ben, I don't know if this is allowed. I feel like he might be injured. But are we saying Anthony Banda is available?
Speaker 1: Don't see why not?
Speaker 3: I think he's bad.
Speaker 1: I say why not because at the moment, you can keep throwing those balls, but you haven't got to catch a mate.
Speaker 2: I'll get to it, yeah, Or you can just throw a spanner into the works if you want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll go to take a back up dh thank you. I'm taking to take mister will Smith.
Speaker 3: Damn it right, Anthony Rizzo, you're on my team now, see how you like him? You got him? Yeah you thought this three? Okay? Fine in that case, mister Barnes, looking, I'm gonna just leave my raiders trying to trying to know one and take Evan Phillips.
Speaker 1: Okay, Philip, I mean more we doing. I mean I have a full team now, assuming I'm doing two relievers and three starters. Let's take another reliever then.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 1: Okay, how many of these actually are still pitching? He's injured. He's injured, he's injured, he's still playing. Hudson on a on a on a roster at the moment. More always like Brent Honeywell, but that's not neither him or that. I'll take Daniel Hudson. Daniel Hudson's got he's got a bit of bit about him. He's been solid a lot. He's been a bit shaky recently, if I'm correct, but he's he's been good at other points. So I'm gonna take Daniel Hudson.
Speaker 3: It is, and I guess I need to catch us I'll takest him. So it's going to crunch the numbers in the spreadsheet now and tell us the exact score of every game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so kind of the one of the reasons why I want to do this is that I genuinely thought that if you kind of you effectively, like right at the top, both of these teams are equivalent, like the stars that are available for both teams are good. Obviously, the question then became that Freeman is injured, so he doesn't he isn't necessarily like you're not going out Arni Betts Freeman the same way that you are going like Judge, Soto and Cole. So actually, like once you get rid of like the top top players, these lineups maybe skew towards the Yankees that they're actually kind of like the fourth to tenth best players in these teams is maybe more Yankees dominated than it is for the Dodgers. But I think that then the middle after that is all the Dodged, Like you would then kind of go a lot of those before you would go.
Speaker 1: With with with any of the Yankees players.
Speaker 2: So to me, as I kind of had seen this is that like the there are some rougher Edges on this Yankees team, but I think it's a bit more evenly distributed across the ball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think the lineup depth is better for the Dodgers, And it sounded like rob might be higher on the guys like Torres and Volpe and Austin Wells than I am. You know, I think that the Dodgers have got you know, Smith Munsi, Lux Tiosca further down the lineup. Those guys to me are a step above what the Yankees have got in there kind of five to nine spots in the lineup. But then on you know, conversely much the Yankees' rotation. You know, I think Cole's is a legit ace that know Moto might be but hasn't necessarily shown since your turn from injury. I like we're done a lot. You know that the book Dodger is going to have to go with a bullpen game at least once, probably twice, whereas the Yankees in theory could roll with starters in every game of the series. And that you know, in a some sories that will make a difference if the Dodgers have to use a lot mornings from their bullpenalves and the Yankees do so I think that makes it a really interesting series because one team probably has the upper hand on the hitting side and one team with a hand on the pitching side. So be fascinating see how it plays are, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I am more drawn to Ben's team. After you've done an exercise, is it is clearly better than mine. However, I went into the with the with the preconception that I thought that it was going to be a fairly slamm dug We're going to be fighting over the Dodgers, and I did find myself more drawn to the Yankees than I thought I would be. So I think that that, in my mind has just leveled this this series up a little bit. If I'm honest. I was pretty much the Dodgers are going to walk the Yankees in this. I'm now not so much thinking that. So, yeah, it's some intrigue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think this is as probably close to a fifty to fifty you're going to get in a World Series, I think, And it's also into fifty to fifty from these both teams are good, not a fifty to fifty from last year where it was like, well you both are quite lucky to be here. So to finish off we obviously have to choose our Steve Pierce World Series MVP Award champion. Given that Rob is looking down at his list, Ben, do you have a player who you think is going to be the World Series MVP who is not just Judge, Otorni, Betts or Soto. I will allow Standon to be a pit hitter, just he's not as like phenomenal as the other four.
Speaker 3: But you can't pick that's generous, But Chris Peters Award? Is it Steve Pierce? Sorry, Chris piss is a colleague of mine anyway, I think because it has to be someone who's going to play right, like, you can't choose I don't know Trevino because he's going to get like two rout bats in the whole series. So that does limit you a little bit in terms of how Rogue can go with your pick. But I think that Apple mentioned Andy Pahez might be a good shout. I think he gets in enough games where he can have quite a big impact, where a couple of clutch home runs and he could become a favorite for it. If I've got a pick on the Yankee side, I'll probably go for someone like Flavor Torres had a really good alc at the top of the lineup. If he continues to hit well in the leadoff spot, get on base with the guys behind him, I could see him ending up skeeping this awards. So I'll give you those two names, one from each from from my side.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, then I'm gonna I'm gonna take a picture. I think someone that likes of Kopek could could really make a big difference because he's he could have a few winnings in there. He could you know, he could really come into some big spots. He could play a lot of games, he could throw a lot of innings, and he could he could really be a difference maker. So I will go with Michael Kopek's my Yankees choice, and I think it's sort of lining up to Max Mounsey really for the Dodgers. Sorry, yes, you're absolutely right. I've looked at my team versus your team, and let's say Austin Wells. I actually was gonna say back to monthly, Mounsey was one. It's kind of lined up for him that he's the next guy there with all the injuries. But I'll go with Austin Wills and my cope you.
Speaker 3: Do love Austin Wells.
Speaker 1: I do love Austin Wells. I can't stand him. He's bloody Yankee, but yeah, I love him. I love Yeah.
Speaker 2: This is like an interesting one for me because I think if there's going to be a pitcher that's going to do it, I think you have to win both of your starts, and you have to kind of you want to have to do that and come out in like m relief in game seven as well, or you have to kind of win both of your games and the team wins like for one or or like four to two. So I'll I'll give a punt on Jack flat at Tea going too and oh against Garrett Cole. I think if he manages that with the two good starts, he could be another one to go for. And just because we might as well end this on a Homer pick, I'll go with Jazz from the side.
Speaker 1: Got the flavor to it, absolutely.
Speaker 2: Yes and so yes, and that is I guess we now just finally have to say who is going to win the World Series Ben.
Speaker 1: Rogers and seven roll Yankees and four. I will say Dodger love it, Dodgers in six. Okay, So there you have it. We have officially not changed our prediction, as we said Dodgers were going in any time. We did say they were going to be Cleveland in four and we were not far off that being actually the possibility still, so I think we did quite well on our predictions so far obviously. Yep, Ben Rob, thank you very much for time.
Speaker 2: As always, you can find us at Batfort's Underscore Nerds on Twitter, slash x for how belong that stays a stable platform. You can find us on the website at Batflops and nerds dot com, and you can find this podcast on any reputable podcast provider and we'll hopefully speak to you soon. See