Speaker 1: Disclaimer.
Speaker 2: We'd like to know before the start of this interview that the opinions about to be expressed by the guest of tonight's Getting Salty Experience Podcast are that of the guest and do not directly or necessarily reflect the views of the host of the Getting Salty Experience Podcast.
Speaker 3: We're listening to the Getting Salty Experience podcast.
Speaker 4: Hello, Hello, Chiefly Experience. Welcome back to Experience podcast. That's the only one that brings chief Leave and the fire house kitchen table to you. We got Mike sitting into.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 4: What's missing?
Speaker 5: Hmmm, very very quiet.
Speaker 4: I'm hunting, that's what's missing. Roofie roofer. I don't Ohio off the grid somewhere probably, I don't know.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna hit us up on another seven, ten, twelve, fifteen point. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know what he's got. I mean, how much how much does he have to kill? He's already got to like fifteen points or something, right.
Speaker 6: He's got some big ones. Last two. I think we're pretty decent from what he's selling us.
Speaker 4: And he's back.
Speaker 7: That's why I had an opening on the Hollywood Squares here right, Otherwise that's.
Speaker 6: Right, circle gets a square?
Speaker 4: Who do you want to be?
Speaker 6: Square?
Speaker 1: Gets a circle?
Speaker 6: Whatever?
Speaker 8: That show?
Speaker 4: Portland? On that show? Yeah, I'll go back and gat myself. Lynn god man, look at that.
Speaker 6: You definitely went back old.
Speaker 4: I think he's older than me, though. Are you older than me?
Speaker 8: I'm fifty five? How old are you?
Speaker 4: I'm older than him? Are you lying?
Speaker 1: You had me beat fifty six?
Speaker 4: I got you by one man.
Speaker 6: Fifty one, soon to be fifty two at the end of the month.
Speaker 4: What's my twenty what twenty four? I'll be twenty five year Oh my god?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Whatever?
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, all shut your pile. You just start that a fire career too, Chief, Can you imagine to go?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 8: What you what you know?
Speaker 9: Now?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 7: Just thought over man, what you have ahead of you, the potential? Don't squander it? My friend.
Speaker 6: You know it's funny to say that cheap go ahead. Yeah, I was gonna tell you, Chief. I just uh give a little shout out to my new guys. They're getting ready to go to the road. I've got nine new guys going to the road. They get a little trial run next weekend. In the following weekend they get released to their shift. So I gave them that a good old speech. You know, the love they have for the job. Now, don't let it go away. Always remember that, reflect to why you sign up all that good stuff. Hopefully they listening and carrying on, so they're gonna learn a little bit of something from the show watching tonight.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 6: I gave him a shout out. I said that we're gonna watch, we'll go.
Speaker 7: I'll give a shout out to good luck in your careers. Uh, to the new firefighters wherever you are, and hopefully you're you're learning right these these podcasts such as this where we're gonna talk about two important fires tonight h A critical and keeping you healthy, safe and making sure that you have a long and fulfilling career.
Speaker 4: Absolutely meant to that. You gotta drill it into him gons.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so I hope we did. You know, we do the best we can. We got a ten week program, so it's pretty rigorous program.
Speaker 4: Make this required watching. I hope to all you guys, I mean, you're the chief over there, right of training.
Speaker 6: I try to throw it out there, you know, I.
Speaker 4: Don't try to throw it out watching.
Speaker 6: You know you want to throw out there. You gotta be careful, you know, remember.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna tell you what you should this right here? Where did I get this? Is this back in stock Hell? Christmas?
Speaker 6: Perfect?
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's and it's It's been number one, number one best on Amazon in multiple categories as well, so in Amazon.
Speaker 4: Look, we have a number one best selling author with us here tonight. What to the Team is written extremely well. I gotta tell you though, man, that chapter seventeen.
Speaker 8: Yeah, one of the one of these shows will get to that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but do you forget me?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: As I say, we have two authors tonight.
Speaker 4: We have an author. I have his right here.
Speaker 7: And I will tonight we'll do chapter twenty two and chapter Yeah, we're.
Speaker 4: Gonna have Mike fall City. Wow, we're just we're just burst it all over the place.
Speaker 6: But right before the holidays, Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 8: And you don't even you don't even have your pipe tonight.
Speaker 4: I have it over here. I could. I'm keeping that the pipe and this over there. You stay over there. There's no room for you here tonight. This yeah, should be required no shit, this should be required reading by all the academies around the country.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we've heard some that some departments that are having it required reading. We've and we've heard from a couple that as we come out with these different podcasts featuring the chapters, that they are encouraging and some requiring.
Speaker 8: Their members to listen to that too. So that's it's pretty cool.
Speaker 7: It's just all these different methods, whether it's the book, the website, these podcasts, to really enhance the learning experience for these for these thirty fives.
Speaker 4: Yep. Is the website up and running.
Speaker 8: It is.
Speaker 7: Yeah, the the links are not on it from the other podcast yet, but we'll be getting those on in the next week.
Speaker 8: We've done ready.
Speaker 4: Now we'll play it on every single podcast, not only this one that we do, but every guest that we have on because it's that important. Have you guys started writing the next facts you're talking about or at least.
Speaker 7: No, we have not. We've only talked. We've we've talked briefly about it only because we've been we've been inundated. I guess is a good word to use with for people who would like to write about a fire that they had and honor their their brother or sister that was.
Speaker 8: Killed in the line of duty.
Speaker 7: So at some point right now, the bigger, the bigger challenges we're trying to get the podcast for each of the thirty fires, which I.
Speaker 8: Don't know, I'll tell you what for.
Speaker 7: For you guys that do the podcast on a weekly basis and and twice a week basis, it's a lot just be you know, So kudos to you guys for what you do in the quality of show that you that you.
Speaker 8: Put out there.
Speaker 7: And as you know, there's there's several really good quality fire department style podcasts out there, and it's amazing the effort that you guys all put into it.
Speaker 8: So uh, I know, I appreciate it.
Speaker 7: I know that the fire service in Lodge appreciates it, and we're all better because of it.
Speaker 8: So thank you.
Speaker 4: And we're only asking for a couple of things alike air and subscribe. Is that a lot?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 1: I don't think so.
Speaker 4: I don't very reason too.
Speaker 10: And I know we can get into with the guys tonight. But you write a lot. You've seen a lot in your career, a lot of it good, some of it not good. Because the fire service it's a hard job. You're going to see some tough things going through these events. I mean, even if you didn't know the person directly before their death. It does feel like you know them in reading their story. What's the emotional toll like, do you ever find yourself having to stop and compose yourself?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 7: And you know what, and I've said it, uh before, I think so I take I take what we do very seriously, and I take our training, our education, are remembering on our history very seriously. I love the fire service and I love the people that that serve in the fire service. We are ultimately all cut from the same cloth, and we're all trying to pull in the same direction. And I think when we learn from incidents and we we do this and we're able to get we're able to be better.
Speaker 8: You know, we're all pulling on We're all pulling in the same direction. But let's all get on the same rope. Let's make sure that you're learning all the things that we need to do.
Speaker 7: And that comes through training and education and even you know, we talk about safety on the fire ground. Safety is a by product of your training, you know. And I had this conversation with.
Speaker 8: So many people.
Speaker 7: I didn't go to a fire and say, oh I got to be safe here. My training is what dictated how I operated at that fire ground and because I was well trained, because the people I worked with were well trained, that they were able to operate more safely just because of that. So training wasn't top of mind. A safety wasn't top of mind. What was was training and education and doing the job at hand, saving the savorable people and.
Speaker 8: Knowing, yeah, there comes a risk of that.
Speaker 7: Because we don't always know that a basement of a hardware store and Queen's going to have illegally stored combustibles is going to explode. We can't count for that, but we could account for ourselves through our training, and that's what gives us the safety on the fire ground. And unless you're an insitting commander, a safety offer of safety chief, those people have to directly look at the scene through the lens of safety as well, because they are the they are the safety net for the rest of us on scene, making sure that resources are coming, that people have deployed. Lines of stress was a force where they need to happen, making sure that it's a well choreographed incident, that that we're doing what was supposed to do. But firefighters aren't going on scene thinking about safety. They're thinking about what they're going to do and that safety is a byproduct of our training. The more you train, the better, The more sets in reps you have, the safe you are on the fire ground because the more you know, ask a civilian to go in and make a rescue, they're not going to be a safe because they don't know what they're doing as opposed to a new firefighter or a twenty year firefighter.
Speaker 8: Anyway, enough of EVR.
Speaker 6: Es a good point because the I don't know if you guys caught it, I'm sorry for you. You mentioned safety earlier. Did you guys catch that piece of debris that fell off and then took the firefighter out? That was on Instagram? It wasn't paying attention. There's a lot of people on scene, and I think the facade fell down from a two story home if it was took out a couple of guys. So you're talking about the safety element, just paying attention, taking a step back being the safety guys. It's just training. I'm just just touching on your safety element.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and that's why they have to look at the fire through the lens of safety.
Speaker 8: When I was in safety chief, I was the same. That was my job.
Speaker 7: That was so you have to know your job, do your job and be trained in your job. But I don't want my five. I want my five brice to be well trained and do their job, which makes them safe for on a fire round because they understand BIA dynamics, five behavior, they understand building destruction, and they understand all of that by virtue of their training.
Speaker 4: Okay, so if you buy this book, let's say happen to buy this book, you could also talk about it with guys in the fire house. Maybe they're not going to buy the book, but if you sit here and talk about some of the stories in there, or if you buy one for the firehouse for everybody to read, you can't go wrong, man, Because when a guy goes through a fire and maybe he reads one of these stories and a triggers something that his brand and goes, oh I read this somewre, you know it sets out right in motion.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 7: So go to the website, right the website www dots thirty fives dot.
Speaker 8: You don't even have to sign into it, so you.
Speaker 7: Know, if even if you know what, you can't afford to buy a book, you don't want to buy it, whatever.
Speaker 8: It is, go on website.
Speaker 7: Learn something today that'll save you that may save yourself five minutes ago.
Speaker 1: I look.
Speaker 4: You ready, you know what I'm gonna take. I'm gonna let Chief leave because that's what Louis usually does.
Speaker 6: And yeah, that's why I kind of told him it was going to be his show, not I was.
Speaker 4: Yes, so GOODHD, Chief introduce our guests for you for us in a minute.
Speaker 7: So we're bringing in Assistant Chief Kevin McGee, son of.
Speaker 8: Which the department.
Speaker 10: Again, Chief, you were kind of drowned out by the applause, which department.
Speaker 8: Prince William County, Virginia.
Speaker 7: And Chief McGee is going to talk about chapter eleven in the book, a fire that occurred on April sixteenth of two thousand and seven that took the life of five fighter Kyle Wilson. And we're so appreciative to have you here cheap. But before we get into that, we're gonna bring in we're gonna bring in the other chief who's in the back. But also you gotta He explained how what his name, his last name means backstage, so explain it to the to the listeners what your last name means?
Speaker 9: Well in Gaelic, when you have somebody last name starts with mc min that designates son O and then the g e E he is in Gaelic fire. So my name is son of Fire in Gaelic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I meant to be a chief all son of fire.
Speaker 8: That was very nice.
Speaker 4: I like it, but I can't do it.
Speaker 11: What we're gonna say, Well, you're gonna hit me, put me up on the private all right, you're ready to bring it the next guy, Yes, he's basically waiting. He's basically waiting in the back.
Speaker 6: I could see him. Was like, now he's smiling, Chief Leaves dealing with his wife.
Speaker 8: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 7: So we're bringing in John Bostonson, who is going to talk to us about chapter twenty two and the two firefighters that lost their life in the training fire, so on July thirtieth of two thousand and two.
Speaker 8: So both of you, gentlemen, thank you so much for being here.
Speaker 7: Rather than flip a coin, we decided that we would we would go with chapter eleven since it is.
Speaker 8: Earlier in the book. But hey, before we start, I just want to do a quick shout.
Speaker 7: Out to the Saint Petersburg Fire Department. So I was almost late tonight because somebody were ended my vehicle. I'm down to Florida speaking at an event tomorrow, and just a shout out to the brothers and sisters who responded.
Speaker 8: It's a really good care of me and my family. So thank you for to those folks.
Speaker 4: So the same all over the world.
Speaker 7: Chief, They truly are, they truly are so yeah, so thank you to them.
Speaker 8: And all right, so let's turn it over to Chief McGee.
Speaker 6: Did we hit the pledge real quick?
Speaker 4: It's actually pledge, Yes, that's we gotta get patriotic stand by on that guttle.
Speaker 6: Here we go.
Speaker 3: I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic, for which it stands, One nation under God, indivisible with liberty and justice for all.
Speaker 4: All right, Chief McGee, the stage is your sir, thought us off.
Speaker 9: Okay, Well, thank you chiefly and your team for inviting me to participate tonight, and thank you for the opportunity to tell our story in the thirty Fires that you should all know. It's an obligation that we took in Prince Willan County Department of Fire and Rescue and our fire and Rescue system to share the lessons learned from a tragedy that occurred to us on April sixteen, two thousand and seven, with the first and only firefighter fatality in the Career department. Unfortunately, several years later, we had a fatality of a volunteer recruit at our training center, and for both those incidents, we did a very thorough line of duty death investigative investigation and produce the report identified numbers a number of recommendations that we pledged to implement in order to avoid those kind of tragedies from ever occurring again. And one of the pledges that I made to my department and to Kyle Wilson's family was that we were going to do everything that we possibly could to prevent a similar tragedy from occurring again. This is an investigative report that produce just short of three hundred recommendations, and we implemented a vast majority of them. And there's a number of those that impacted the National Fire Service, and we can touch on those as we go through the discussion. But every firefighter in our country and many firefighters around the world, have been in a safer position as firefighters because of what we learned from this incident and the actions that have been taken. And I'll explain those as we go through the presentation, and the other obligation and commitment that we made is that we would never forget. And so one of the things that we felt was extremely important was to share what occurred, what our lessons were anywhere. So the Line of Duty Death Investigative Team did presentations to departments all over the country from as far as Florida to Alaska, and the only thing that we asked was that the sponsoring department would pay for the travel m And we've gotten a lot of very important feedback from what we've done, to include some chiefs that have shared with me that they feel that what was learned resulted in a firefighter's life being saved. So it just reinforces in my mind the importance that when there is a tragedy such as what we experience or even a near miss, that we don't keep what occurred to ourselves, that we share broadly and not only go through the the steps that can peel away the layers of the onion to get to the core, but also to do the implementation that's necessary to do the follow up for and one of the things that I did in my role is fire chief and I asked our Board of County Supervisors in one of my budget presentations to add a chief officer to my staff whose sole responsibility was to follow through recommendations from our LEDD reports near miss reports, so that we just didn't do reports that would end up collecting dust on the shelf. So with that, we we have a PowerPoint presentation and if we can.
Speaker 6: Go to that absolutely to want to address a newcomer to the Okay, you want to start with our first slide.
Speaker 9: So Technician one Kyle Wilson was really what we considered as a star. He excelled in his recruit school. He was in his probationary year assigned to a busy engine company and during his probationary year was involved in the incident of marsh Overlok Drive on April sixteenth that took his life. And as you can see from what we have in the bottom, we will never forget and we're going to continue to do everything we can to prevent a tragedy like this from ever occurring again. We also have our line of duty death report investigative report online. It's available to you. I also have the link that's in our chapter in the book that will take you to the investigative report that will spell out every finding in every recommendation that was compiled. Prince William County is located in the National Capital Region. It's rapidly growing urban, suburban and rural community covering three hundred and forty eight square miles. At the time, the population was right around four hundred and twenty three thousand. It's got to be at least five hundred thousand currently. The Prince William County Fire Rescue system consists of the six hundred plus personnel that's career end volunteer. The career staff covers twelve stations twelve hours during the daytime, and we also had some twenty four hour units. Volunteers were responsible for taking the nighttime and weekend shifts for those twelve hour scheduled days. Since then, our system has evolved where all the career staff are on the twenty four hour schedule and we also have volunteers mostly in the night, weekends and holidays, but by staff units twenty four hours a day. So we are a combination system with independent volunteers fire departments that's organized into a single fire and rescue system. The time, we had twenty one stations, and there's been several that have been added since then. We run at the time about thirty five thousand incidents per year. I'll also add that because of this incident, as well as the growth and the evolution of our system during the eleven years that I was chief, we went from about three hundred and fifty career staff to let's see, it's seven hundred and fifty career staff. Next line, our line of duty death Investigation team was compiled. At the time I was this incident, I was the Fire Marshal, married about MICUs was the fire chief and formed a cross functional team with let's see, two five Department of Fire and Rescue members and two members from neighboring jurisdictions, Chief Richie Bauers from Montgomery County and Chief Danny Gray from Fairfax County, and they spent the better part of nine months doing the investigation and compiling your report. The team was also assisted by and this is very important when you're doing these kind of reports to have the support from within your local government or whatever the agencies are that you use for legal services, Harrisk Management Office, Office of Public Safety Communications, and the Fire Marshal's Office Next, the review consisted of the incident scene items, going out to the incident scene, conducting interviews of all the members who were involved, including some witnesses, and this was supported by the Fire Marshall's office. We examined policies and procedures. All the person protective gear for Technician Wilson and his lieutenant were taken by the investigative team, so they examined the person protective gear and the self contained breathing apparatus compared to what we did against ministry standards and regulations, and also included fire modeling from the University of Maryland Fire Engineering here Fire Engineering School.
Speaker 1: Next, wait to skip aside. There you go.
Speaker 9: So on the morning of April sixteenth, there was a nor'easter or storm storm that was ripping up the East coast and we were caught in the middle of that. This location was right off Thetomic wherever we had sustained winds of twenty five miles an hour with many gusts that were forty eight miles per hour, and it actually it felt more than that. Temperature was forty five degrees. It was right around six o'clock in the morning. There were nineteen nine one one calls received and these were mostly passerbys. The occupants never did call nine one one, so the telecommunication nine one one telecommunic operators had no additional information regarding occupant status.
Speaker 6: Next copy of those So I was asking us a question if we can, if you want to address it now so we don't get too far ahead. He was asking, can you have the chief explain a reason or the reason for a chief from Montgomery and Fairfax Counties on the committee?
Speaker 9: Was there a reason for Yes, we thought that was very important to have a cross functional team that was not only familiar with how we do things in Princellian County, but we wanted to be able to extend beyond our borders. What were some best practices outside of our jurisdiction, and to make sure that and we didn't have a concern for this, but we wanted to make sure that we eliminated any thought that would be biased from dimin having an internal team. So the chiefs of those two departments were gracious enough to loan those two fire officers to us for that entire nine month period.
Speaker 6: Okay, all right, perfect, thank you.
Speaker 9: So the first alarm assignment was three engines. The wagon is basically another engine the tower medic unit. I don't think the ambulance responded in a battalion chief. We had a heavy rescue that responded that was self initiated as well as a safety officer, and that was acceptable practice at the time.
Speaker 6: I'm assuming that was obviously prior to the job the incident or at the dispatch of incident.
Speaker 9: That was an initial dispatch. So the first enngine company arrived retortat fire on size b C. This was at six eight five twelve arrived right behind wagon five twelve, which they were the first year company. The size up was performed. It was early morning. There were carved in the driveway on the street in front of the residents. There weren't any lights on in the house, so it was still dark. They felt that the house was still occupied and as a result, they immediately called for a second alarm. The second alarm assignment, because of the geographic distribution of our stations, was going to be a rather long response count to get all those units on the scene. The initial incident action plan was for the engine five to twelve crew to advanced two and a half inchlined to the interior fire attack tower. Five twelve crew to perform a primary search. There was four members on the crew. There was the two members of the officer and the firefighter did the primary search, and the other two members of Tower five twelve for the outside crew. Both crews planned to proceed to the second floor. This is an aerial view of the structure. You could see there really was no major exposures.
Speaker 6: Yeah, pretty big homes there.
Speaker 9: It was a six thousand square foot house. This was a layout of the basement area. So it's two stories with the basement and so we can go to the next five.
Speaker 4: Let's see the third s op taking two and a half into a private dwelling like that seems like a rather large hose line.
Speaker 9: Now it was not, but they were looking at the extent of the fire, so it.
Speaker 4: Was amount of the fire load there and they decided to stretch two and a half.
Speaker 6: Yes, okay, big fire, big water.
Speaker 9: And at the time the fire was on the side c It was an exterior fire that was working its way up the side of the house. So going back to the first floor, I just wanted to point out one thing. You can see that morning room. The occupants evacuated out of the house. US out of that back door and left that that back door opened, which a significant impact on the incident.
Speaker 6: That's what the flow pass. Okay, so second floor.
Speaker 9: Here, second floor, you can see the layouts, and so the crew, the tower crew were focused on evacuating since their size of indicates to them that people would still be sleeping. So let's uh, let's search the bedrooms. So then the Italian chief arise at six eleven Tower. Five twelve crew entered process as second floor conditions changed. The thick when they went to the first second floor, it was like a light gride, but it quickly changed to a thick black smoke created vierau visibility and high heat conditions. The crew staid and verbal communications.
Speaker 8: There.
Speaker 9: At some point there was a smoke explosion. The officer was in the hallway, the firefighter was close behind him as far as we can detect, and the officer got caught up in a hallway table and was because of the smoke explosion, was thrown into the stairwell mm hmm. And then the the firefighter lowless contact with with his officer.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry yeah, And so.
Speaker 9: Mike and five twelve's officer reacted to change conditions and noise believed to be UH. The stairs burned out. At this point, there's a lot of fire that's working its way through the house. The wind is coming from side sea through the house. It's into the attic space. Part of the smoke explosion was the oxygen getting into that thick black superheated gas in the attic space and that second floor causing the explosion. We can go to the next slight this show is the stairwell. At the point that the engine company crew sees a white helmet, they made a quick grab and pulled the firefighter out. That was a lieutenant. He resisted because his firefighter was still upstairs, but the IFEW company crew took him to evacuated him from the house.
Speaker 5: UH.
Speaker 9: Several other crews engaged, including the Repid Intervention team, and at this point it was like a bloke torch coming through that stairwell and crews climbing over each other. A crew would try to advance up the stairwell get pushed back. The backup engine company crew would crawl over them, only to get pushed back. Having rescue crew would climb over them to try to reach the firefighter, and at that time technician Wilson is making the mayday call giving his location mm hmm, and his his may day was textbook.
Speaker 6: Oh okay, I was going to ask about.
Speaker 5: That, so.
Speaker 8: Observed.
Speaker 9: Okay. We talked about the cruise seeing the white helmet, evacuating the the fire.
Speaker 12: Off the truck company officer. The may day was at six fifteen. The past alarm was sounding, but because of the ambient noise on the incident scene, nobody heard it.
Speaker 9: Really cruise re entered the structure.
Speaker 4: That was a short amount of time that that happened really quickly. Man, that went the ship fast.
Speaker 9: Oh. It was incredible when you think about six six thousand square foot lightweight construction.
Speaker 5: Homes with.
Speaker 9: Highly flammable contents synthetic materials. The BTU production was incredibly high.
Speaker 4: Did they have a hose line in place in the beginning when when the smoke explosion.
Speaker 1: Yes, and it's okay.
Speaker 9: It wasn't. It still wasn't enough with I mean it was like a blow towards coming out of side A and the structure.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, I was just going back to a twenty five mile winds, a gust of forty eight miles an hour. That and that back door. You said was left open, correct, okay.
Speaker 9: And so you already had a breach in the attic space. You know when you have these outside in fires. It's working up the side of the house, up the vinyl siding and into the openings and the soffits and right into the attic space, which again is lightweight construction, so the structural integrity is very questionable. So there was a safety officer on the scene. He noticed that there was the uh partial collapse of the roof and called for evacuation of the structure and the cruise went to a defensive operations mode. Once the barrow was brought under control, cruise re entered and made did an extensive search to locate technician wism. This just shows the apparatus placement. And I will tell you that the working conditions on the side A of the structure where wagon five twelve, the engine five to ten, command posts the firefighters working on side ay, the conditions were extremely poor with smoke that was banking down, so that that contributed to the difficulty of the operation as well.
Speaker 1: So next, well we don't have nothing, okay, we.
Speaker 9: Go, so we'll show you where specifically where technician Wilson was located at a determination of the cause of death. It was thermal and in the lation injuries his pat The The only thing that was different or not in place when Kyle was found was his helmet that was approximately six ft away. His SCBA was worn properly, his face mask was still on, and his bottle was empty. The face piece was destroyed and the ozon, the self contained breathing apparatus was melted.
Speaker 6: Okay, hope, sorry, you get that.
Speaker 9: And the tower company officer had partial thickness burns on both ears and one finger. So this is the master bedroom layout. And there was a sofa that was in front of the window, and Barbara Wilson was found on the sofa. We believe that if that sofa wasn't there, he most likely would have made it to the window. But that obstruction just made it much more difficult and confusing in zero visibility conditions.
Speaker 6: Just kind of holds true to where people say where they find victims, how close they ought to exit ways if you will, Yeah, just kind of ties into those those things. All right, there you go, nice picture of the house.
Speaker 9: So I will give a tremendous amount of credit for the extremely difficult decision that safety officer and the incident commander to call the evacuation because the firefighters who were attempting the rescue of Firefighter Wilson would have certainly given their life to find him, and because of that call, they followed their orders and those lives were spared. So, as I mentioned earlier, the line of duty death investigative report had I think about two hundred and eighty some recommendations. The majority of the recommendations were involved staffing levels, training procedures, communications and public education, and prevention efforts and technologies. One of the things that the investigative team did was break the the recommendations into actions that the department needed, our fire and rescue system needed to take, recommendations that could needed to be done at the regional state level, and another set of recommendations that.
Speaker 8: Needed to be.
Speaker 9: Done at the national level. And I think that I want to give a great deal of credit to the International Association of Fire Chiefs and the Safety, Health and Survival section of the i f C, because they, when I approached them with I needed your help to address these national level recommendations, they stepped up and as a result, nationally recognized n f standards were changed. The self contained breathing apparatus standards now have base pieces that are much more hardened to hide temperatures. The hose lines stand up to much higher heat. There's a universal pass alarm sound that has been implemented because, as I mentioned earlier, the firefighters didn't recognize that there was a pass alarm sounding, and then really at that time there was no national standard for what the sound was. So research was conducted and found an alarm sound that firefighters would hear even with the ambient noise of an incident scene around them. The portable radios that we use. I was in my office one day and I looked out the window and I see a couple of engine companies and some members of the Mine of Duty Death Investigative Team using hose lines in the back of the government facilities molding and what they were trying to do. After listening to the radio traffic and how it was distorted, they found that the water pellets hitting the portable microphone would get distorted because of those water droplets. So whether it was rain hitting the microphone or water droplets from a hose line, it was distorted. When we went to Motorola, they researched the solution that cancels out that noise. So now we have portable radios that are much clearer. And they also when we told them that the radio wiring disintegrated because of the high heat temperatures in the incident, they created a new wiring that is much more will hold up my fire temperatures.
Speaker 6: It was just the higher temperatures.
Speaker 9: Yeah, So major factors that we identified was the initial arriving fire fighting force was inadequate, the size of.
Speaker 6: The fact that we can go back to that I don't know what the heck happened here, stand by, sorry, there we go.
Speaker 9: The size of the fire development and spread was, as you had already mentioned, was incredibly quick and something that we need to address. The high wind impact on fire development and spread. The size of this structure, as well as the construction components and materials rappid the intervention and firefighter rescue efforts, as well as incident control and management. So one of the things that I do want to point out here is and that I was very proud of from the investigation team, is they were looking at the system issues. They weren't looking at the individual actions pointing fingers or finding fault and we were able to identify things that was inherent to the system that we needed to address.
Speaker 1: So much.
Speaker 4: Did they determine the cause of the fire chief.
Speaker 9: It was officially it was undetermined, but we identified the origin as the mulch along the back of the house. This would be consistent with carelessly discarded smoking material. And you know, even with at the time we had just in Virginia gotten legislation for the self extinguishing cigarettes which initially were called firesafe cigarettes, but twenty percent of the time it doesn't work. So even though there was not an official cause, this is a potential likely scenario and with the high winds in a in a ignition source in a material, it uh that was a feasible cause. So we're creating performance measures that we tracked very closely now for our effective firefighting force initial arriving fire suppression force. The operational guidelines identified required tasks that need to be done. The initial dispatch compliment we have gone over that the engines had staffing of three, the truck had minium staffing of four. One machine that with two personnel and one battalion chief. The incident command was completely overwhelmed with one person that one battalion chief at the command post. We did a comparison of seventeen ten to to our effective firefighting force. We were operating under the seventeen ten standards because of the configuration of our jurisdiction. NFPA identifies seventeen firefighters for then that's based on a two thousand square foot single family home, two stories without a basement, and as you recall, we had six thousand square foot two stories with a basement, and so the seventeen would not be adequate for the situation that we were addressing. Next, this was a very useful slide that I showed our elected officials when we were making a proposal for additional staffing of what the recognized national standards are for a response to this kind of incident where we're responding to much larger structures and we didn't even meet the NFPA seventeen ten for two thousand square courthouse, and we identified the need for the situation we had to be thirty one excellent. So these were kind of structures that when I first came on in nineteen eighty, in the early eighties into nineteen ninety, which would be one in two story structures about uh two thousand square feet or less, very well compartmentized and not necessarily lightly construction. So the building materials that in the building products had evolved quite drastically during my career.
Speaker 6: Two.
Speaker 9: And we'll show the next slide this, These are the kind of structures that are being built not only in Princeleiam County, but around the country.
Speaker 6: This he's a massive yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow. So also.
Speaker 9: The time temperature curve and were we were at each point.
Speaker 5: Hey, Kevin, can I ask you real quick, can you go back to the last slide? And thanks for having me on late.
Speaker 13: I had some fire department business to take care.
Speaker 5: This is so symbolic because these houses are going all over the country, growing all over the country, and areas that were rural all volunteer and they just keep popping up. And when we look at that, we see how the community has changed. But how is the fire department changed services?
Speaker 13: Yep, exactly.
Speaker 5: And I know you, Kevin and your and the chief there before you had been pushing this. I know we were doing the same thing changing and there was a lot of resistance and it took this poor kid losing his life, which I guess is a positive because so many line of duty deaths do not necessarily leave to change, lead to change, and this one has led not just locally but nationally. But when I see pictures like this, if you take the house out of the way, that's what was there.
Speaker 13: It was farmland, it was rurally.
Speaker 5: But they're building all these areas up. But the fire Department's got it. As one of the one of our hosts said, it's got to change, it's got to keep up with the growth.
Speaker 13: And it took Kyle Wilson getting killed, quite frankly, to be that wake up call.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 5: And who knows what you'd be dealing with today if it weren't for that. So to see that I know his family and you and others, his loss mattered, is I guess what I want to say.
Speaker 9: And I would just add that I think it's incumbent upon the leadership of fire departments to inform they're elected officials, who are the policymakers, on what our capacity is to address these kinds of emergencies and what the implications are if we don't have the proper resources. And this is coming all across the country. I mean, we're we're seeing all kinds of new housing product that's coming out zero lot lying homes that you can reach your arms out and touch both boat homes that they're that close. And then you're combining it with the kinds of weather conditions like what we had on April on April sixteenth, where you have these high wind events. I was interim fire chief in Waco, Texas for eight months and we had three wind driven structure pirates. So the elected officials don't know these kinds of things unless you bring it to the attention, and then they have a choice to make. What kind of risk are we going to place on our fire fighters to respond to these kind of emergencies. And I think it's also incumbent on us as leaders of our departments to look at our tactics and strategies too. If we have to respond to these kinds of emergencies, how do we make the best use of the resources that we have. And you've already mentioned the importance of training the kinds of proper equipment. I was in a department at a department just a few months ago that are practicing with a very portable piercing nozzle that they're using, and so to not only to train, but to research and develop and find the kinds of things that are going to allow us to operate in as safe of condition as we possibly can considering the circumstances.
Speaker 13: You know, the challenge we have too is the human factor.
Speaker 5: If you tell the sanitation department you're staffing is cut, there will be more garbage on the street. If you tell Parks and Recreation, we're not going to mow the lawns as much, the lawns are going to be higher on the ball field. You put two people on an engine or five people on an engine, their desire to do what they can to help people. It's such a huge issue for us, more than any other profession. And that's when it comes down to what you're talking about. Okay, so we only have this, then what's the most we can do with what we have, whether it's having an alarm assignment or whatever.
Speaker 9: So I'll share a tip with you, a fire chief tip, and I hope that most chiefs are doing this already. But whenever there was a new elected official that came onto our boad of county supervisors, I would do an orientation to them, have them come to my office, or I would go to their office and go through what we do, the range of services that we provide, but also identifying the risks that we have, the challenges that we have, and the need for support from the elected officials, and what my availability is to them for any questions that they may have. Because you know, elected officials are a mile wide in an inch deep. They have so many things on their plate that you have to be the subject matter expert to be able to educate them and to point them to the priorities that they need to focus on to be able to provide the services and to keep your staffs safe.
Speaker 4: And you got to be this. You got to be the squeaky wheel. Sometimes you have to be persistent because sometimes, like you said, they have so much on their plate that the keep that fresh in their mind.
Speaker 9: Yes, and I was told by my boss, was county executive, that the elected officials want me to dial it back just a little bit. So I found new and better ways to communicate with them.
Speaker 4: That's not the finement, the more scale.
Speaker 7: That's a big point, right, they don't know if if they don't know what's going on. You know, we're the ones that have to advocate for our staffing and for equipment and everything and has been mentioned these bigger houses with smalllines. Is that this this is a problem everywhere. It doesn't matter where you are, from New York City to rural communities. These are these big mc mansions with no lot lines are coming everywhere and those huge ceilings inside. Uh, you know, an exterior fire quickly gets into the attic and uh there's there's a lot of challenges. And this is as as Billy mentioned and Chief McGee mentioned as well, about the this is a seminal fire. It has led to national change. This is remember when this fire was in two thousand and seven. We we have a lot of research that has gone on since then, a lot of knowledge gathering.
Speaker 8: About all of these topics.
Speaker 7: So to hear the changes that have made, to hear that that h that this young firefighter's death, uh, you know, led to significant change is important. I know this is a heavily studied fire and every firefighter should absolutely positively no fire.
Speaker 9: There's there's one additional important factor that I just want to touch on here that's not the presentation, if I have a minute, is how we take care of our people after a tragedy like.
Speaker 1: This fits right in that.
Speaker 9: Your department is at risk when these situations occur with posts incident, stress disorder, other psychological issues, a pulling back on the risk tolerance that your staff has. We couldn't get staff to take promotional exams because they realized, if I take this new responsibility and I'm on one of these incidents, I don't want to be responsible for an incident where somebody loses their life.
Speaker 6: And so.
Speaker 9: We had to address how we allow people to step out of their comfort zone into a growth zone. So it was like, we're not going to We're going to train you and develop you to be an officer before you're an officer, rather than put you in an officer position, than develop you and to have critical incidence, stress management programs and say behavioral health support for for our personnel as well. So it impacts. It's a huge more than a ripple, it's a wave that goes across the organization that that the leadership of an organization needs to understand be able to address.
Speaker 7: M I appreciate you bringing that up, and I think you know there's a reason for the saying the heaviest tool on the fire ground is the flashlight, and you know for the for the officer and the recognition of making sure that we train our officers to be officers before their officers is such an important point and something that is missed so often where it's you know, we we have to we have to change that and not you know, we got to be brilliant at the basics, but we have to start making sure that we are training leaders to make leadership decisions and realizing the importance of of of that.
Speaker 8: So I appreciate you bringing bringing that additional points up.
Speaker 4: I just wanted to make one point about the psychological effect.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: I don't remember where it was. I was at a job one time and a little girl died in the attic and the guys from the truck company couldn't get to her. It was just blowing out the windows. And I remember guys coming down rowan as the toughest guys you've ever seen, crying in the streets saying, I couldn't get to it. I just couldn't get through. I just couldn't get to it. And I can imagine what these guys felt like when you couldn't get to your own guys, you know, guys at the guy trying to crawl over the top takes a huge psychological toll on guys, you know, And that's a very good point that you bring up, Chief, Like, you know, it's supposed to be the toughest, baddest guys on the earth, right, but that takes a heavy toll when you can't get your job done, especially when you lose one of your own tough And.
Speaker 9: I couldn't not have been prouder of every firefighter and every fire officer on that incident scene, as well as the dispatchers that are public take the communication.
Speaker 5: Ce Kevin, let me ask you a question.
Speaker 13: We have a part of the clip of the may.
Speaker 5: Day that we're going to attach so beavers can click on it. Okay, would it also be appropriate to play a little bit of that now as you wrap this up?
Speaker 8: Or would you rather not?
Speaker 9: Sure? Sure?
Speaker 1: Sure? Please do have aunt.
Speaker 6: Yes, that's the time stamp you sent me.
Speaker 4: Correct, Yes, that's what I got from Billy.
Speaker 6: Yes, all right, give me one second here can said here.
Speaker 5: Mm hmm o, my.
Speaker 2: Farewell, ye.
Speaker 9: Conquer I don't know where I am.
Speaker 3: Calling.
Speaker 5: That gives a great example of what they were going through. And thanks for keing that up, Fellas. We will link that to the story we'll have it of course on the thirty fires website, but I think the guys from getting Salty you can add that to this link as well. There shouldn't be a firefighter in this country that does not start that power point video from the beginning to end and watch that. We all, we do at all have high horises. We'd all have ship fires, but we all go to single family dwelling fires.
Speaker 13: And that's it right there. Thank you for being with us, Kevin.
Speaker 9: Thank you honor to be with you in the sheriff.
Speaker 4: That could you know, come get me, kills me?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so I got the website.
Speaker 8: Mm okay, thanks for putting that in the chief. Thanks again for joining us today.
Speaker 4: We superitiated and we.
Speaker 7: Honor our fallen by by remembering the lessons and reinforcing the lessons that they provide.
Speaker 8: And you've certainly done that tonight for us, and we are grateful for that.
Speaker 9: Thank you.
Speaker 8: Kevin.
Speaker 13: You're gonna stick with us as we break and then go to Bart's program.
Speaker 7: Yes, yes, sir, all right, so we did. We did a brief into introduction of Bart. But Billy, you want to as we transition into chapter twenty two and say a few things about our next guest.
Speaker 5: Well, first of all, Bart is one of the original Fools when they started the Fools group years and years and years ago, and that could be a whole nother Getting Salty program.
Speaker 13: Because he's got a it's a great story.
Speaker 5: But Bart I met through teaching, through FDIC, through other stuff, and then one day he led a training fire and he was that's what he's going to talk to us tonight is about how a training fire full well intentioned, purest intentions. Definitely, let's train. I mean, it's hard enough to get some officers to train, right, let's go do something here. Here Bart is going above and beyond and things went horribly wrong, and I'll let.
Speaker 13: Him pick it up from there and tell his story. If that's yep.
Speaker 8: Cool.
Speaker 12: Thank you, Chief Leaving, Chief Goldfitter for having me on here and the Getting Salty podcasts too, So it really means a lot. And like Chief Leeb said that we try to honor our phone brothers and remember them the best that we can. This is my way of doing it by being able to be a part of the book and being on a podcast. And sometimes I get to talk around the state of Florida because of our fourteen oh three law that we have and I'm asked to speak about that, but again, thank you guys, And this is an honor at John in Dallas. I worked for John for a short period of time prior I did a short step there and then went to another department and came back and was the training officer at the time of this incident. So it's kind of something that I like to put out there that we know now these days we have all the mis studies and everything else and all these other programs to talk about fire behavior and all that, and we've got to remember this was July thirtieth, two thousand and two, and fourteen oh three was excuses, but it was very thin and very very wide open. Since then, a lot of things and this fires helped make change, like Chief mcgeese fire make change in the training world and everything else. So we just kind of keep that in the back of our mind, and so a little of the history. At that time, Ossiola County was a combination department with about one hundred and twenty or one hundred and twenty five career people in about fifty volunteers. It started dwindling the volunteer after nine to eleven, so and then we're over about four hundred and four hundred and fifty career people. Now there is no longer volunteers in the system. So a little bit of history going back on this property that we were allowed to use for training. That's the picture of the house that the incident heard in, and there was four other houses almost identical to that on the south side property. And then on the north side was an old hotel which were the dorms, and this happened to be previously owned by the Florida Bible College and they used to have hold studies there. The the old hotel was the dorm for the for the students, and then the residences were for the for the staff. We had been doing WRIT training in the hotel portion used some u saw our training. We did live burns prior to this incident happening in this hotel. With the only injury we had prior to this incident was during WRIT training, Lieutenant ended up with a slight neck injury mistaken to the hospital for precaution. But again we did this training previously with the city of Kassimi, which is one of the cities that's in the county of Osceola and then the Orlando Fire Department. At that time, we were pretty engaged with OFD and a lot of training that they do and we did. We worked even though we didn't have joint response area, we worked pretty good together and did a lot of things together along with the Cassimi Fire Department. So on this day of July thirtieth, it was a typical Floorda morning. It was about eighty four degrees, pretty good humidity, no real breeze, and the weather conditions really didn't play a part into the incident at all.
Speaker 9: So we had and.
Speaker 12: We walked everybody around the structure at that time, showed them where the exits were, where the windows were. They knew where the fire was going to be. The scenario was given to them that it was going to be a search and rescue and fire attack.
Speaker 9: Program.
Speaker 12: So and then also for our setup we had in that area, we had municipal water, We had a five inch line supply line laid to the attack engine. Two inch and three quarter lines were pulled off of that, and we had a eighteen hundred gallon tanker that was our wrint line, and we had the line off of that tanker for the rent team.
Speaker 9: It was charged.
Speaker 12: Also Lieutenant Nickel and Firefighter Beg were part of the search crew. And then we had a crew and a backup crew on top of the WRIT team and the RIT team consisted of two people. The attack team was it was two and then we had the backup line was also two. We had three safety officers inside the building at the time of ignition. So kind of if again pull up the picture of the house, if you would go onto so that's that side a at the building. If you look over to the right, what appears to be where most of the fire or that is the fireroom there to the right that was formerly a garage and many years prior that garage turned into a bedroom. So in that room is where the fire was set. There was a closet area into the bathroom.
Speaker 9: The fuel load.
Speaker 12: Consisted of hay pallets. There was a mattress placed in there. There was other fuel load that in that room which to turn or play a factor into the into the fire later which happened to be. There was wooden closet doors there, the carpeting was still on the floor, wood.
Speaker 9: Molding in the room. Things like that.
Speaker 12: Rooms, all the rooms were intact at the time the windows were intact in the building.
Speaker 9: Again, a walkthrough was done.
Speaker 12: If you look over to the left, just to the right of that left window, that's the main entrance into the into the house. So that's where all the crews made their made their entrance into the building. So as we said that, we had the three safety officers in there, and safety officers were part of the ignition team as well. Once the fire was lit, and you can see there's the layout of the house the diagram when you go through the front door, a large living room straight ahead was the kitchen, and two bedrooms to your left, with a bathroom there was to the right, and the living room was another bathroom, and there was a hallway that led into the fireroom. So you can see where the fire was lit up in the top right corner the fireroom.
Speaker 9: To the right.
Speaker 12: There was again the hv AC closet and then another closet was there. So the kind of leave that up for a couple of minutes when the fire was ignited. After everybody was briefed they were in prior to the ignition. Again, the emergency evacuation signal, which was the ten blasts on the airhorn was given to everybody. They knew what the evacuation signal was going to be on top of radio communications. So once once everybody was in place ready to go geared up. Everybody had full full bunker gear, hoods, A C, B, a UH portable radios. Again, we had two inch and three quarter pre connects for the attack line and then an inch of three quarter line for the writ team. So once fire was ignited and me being the incident commander, I received word from the cruise that that it was it was ready for the crews to begin. So the first crew that started in was Lieutenant Michkel and firefighter Bag. They began a right hand search into the living room and then encountered that hallway.
Speaker 9: In the In that hallway was prior to the.
Speaker 12: Fire room is where the safety officers were staged, and they kind of made contact with the safety officers as they were entering the hallway and entering the fire room. Shortly after the search crew was sent into the building, the attack Team one was sent in to go and back them up and protect them.
Speaker 4: I asked you a question, did the safety officers have thermal imaging cameras or the way?
Speaker 12: Now at that time, our department did not have thermal imagine cameras and that actually the strange thing was that we got some vendors that were supposed to bring us some and they were running late. We were supposed to have two cameras at that time and we didn't have it. So so again the attack team followed the search crew in the search crew went into the fire room. We also had an outside vent person, so as the scenario was going along, and I gave enough time for the hose lines to get in there, at least the first initial attack line to get in. Then radioed to them and it was receiving reports from the guys inside, and we advised that I believe they said they had water on the fire, or was in that area and preparing to put water on the fire. Either had water on the fire. Once they got that report, I advised them that the outside vent person was going to take the window inside a there close to where victim I was found. Meanwhile, the safety officers were in the hallway again trying to coordinate that it kind of got congested the way the hallway was laid out, so when when they started to knock down what they thought they were knocking down the fire. For some reason, they decided instead of opening the nozzle up and doing a constant flow, they were given short bursts onto the fire. So as the outside vent person, after he was ordered to take out the window, took out the window, conditions changed rapidly, had high heat coming out of that window. It's again the window to the right there, and then eventually, you know, the smoke turned into fire and that's in the room flashed over. Meanwhile, the safety officers and some of the the attack line was at the doorway there operating into the fireroom. That's where the confusion kind of got started. When they started looking for the search team, and I wasn't getting the reports that you know that I wanted from people, and I started asking for reports. I tried calling the search team on the radio, didn't get an answer. The attack team again answered and said that they were putting water on the fire. So the second attack line was sent into the building to back up the first line. Again, a lot of confusion in the hallway. As we know now that John and Dallas never made it out of the fireroom. That there was some confusion of some people thought that they made it out of the fireroom, but they never did. And again, the way that hallway was laid out going towards the fireroom, it was a it was kind of a windy area and a whole lot of people there, so some people.
Speaker 4: Started hallways at dead end going down towards the front of the building too. Yes, it's only it's one way in and all the way down. It's very confusing at the top between the bathroom and the living room into that hallway.
Speaker 9: Yes, yes, it was one point.
Speaker 4: Did you did you suspect something was like really wrong, chiefly like when.
Speaker 12: When I wasn't getting reports from the search crew and when I saw the condition to change rapidly. And then one of the safety officers got hot and he came out and I asked him, I said, do you know where the search crew is? He said no, So again we tried getting him on the radio, and then we started telling the other people inside the building, you know, look for the search crew.
Speaker 9: As that was going on.
Speaker 12: Again, there was a lot of confusion there in that little little hallway congestion. Shortly after that, the rent team was sent in took their hose line in, so they thought they had the fire knocked down, but still nobody had seen the search crew and one of the members of the rent team broke off and went to the left side, to the Bravo side started searching the bedrooms there. Again, everybody started looking for them, and until they got into that room they knocked down the fire and conditions kind of changed. From what I was watching outside, it looked like they had a good knockdown. And in the meanwhile of the heavy fire conditions coming out, the outside vent person walked by that window and he found a white helmet right inside the window, and he pulled it out, and I saw him looking at it, and he walked over to me and guys, I found a white helmet. Well, nobody there was no chiefs on the fire ground. Nobody had a white helmet, which kind of started a little confusion of how did we get a white helmet in there? When did somebody throw one in there or what? And then we realized that from the fire conditions it actually turned it was a yellow helmet, its firefighter begs helmet.
Speaker 9: Turned it white.
Speaker 12: Yeah, after they got in there and got knocked the fire knocked down, if I remember correctly, the one of the members from the search team or the writ team, and one of the guys on the initial attack line were in that room. They found Lieutenant mikel He was closest to the fire. Again, its severe burns, thermal thermal challenge to his s c b A all that. He was rapidly removed from there. And I received that report and kind of go back a little bit. You know, we asked for a par a couple of times and we still didn't get get reports from the search crew. So again it's all it seems like seconds or hours, but it was only seconds that all this was going.
Speaker 6: On was his air pack and stuff that intact as well. I don't know if you mentioned that.
Speaker 8: Yes, every space and everything was on.
Speaker 12: Yeah, that's what I was told. I've never got to see his face, beast, but I have seen his gear, but you know it is gear or gear and s c b A strapped and the bottle received a lot of thermal challenge to it, I want to call that. Shortly after that, one of the safety officers who had come back out went in that window where the outside vent person had taken out.
Speaker 9: Again.
Speaker 12: There was like steam coming off the floor, was smoking things like that, and that's when he found firefighter bag and he was rapidly removed from the from the fireroom and outside of the outside the building. So and you know, as things are going along, you know, I requested we call her ambulances, rescues, requested to rescues and helicopter on the way, just kind of seeing the condition that they were brought out. And then so als was administered to both of them unseen, rather rapidly, and but they were the helicopter was canceled. They were both transported to the local facility where they had passed away.
Speaker 4: Wow, what was the total time?
Speaker 9: You know, like I said, it.
Speaker 12: Seems like hours, but I think about fifteen or sixteen minutes.
Speaker 4: Wow, you know, so it happened fast.
Speaker 12: Yeah, And as we were talking earlier, we were I got to go to NISS to see them do one of the studies they did or one of the tests. So they actually did a mock up of the room. Because every everything, everybody had their idea of, you know, what caused it to fuel load, you know, the carpeting, the mattress. The mattress seemed to be a big, a big thing that everybody was kind of honing in on.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 12: It helped me understand what all went in that on in that room, by going tons to see the reenactments that they did, learning a little more insight into the into the science and and everything like that.
Speaker 4: So you being there and going tons, what what is your general feeling of what took place there?
Speaker 12: I think it was a combination of the fuel load it was originally set, the that that window was a hurricane or a commercial grade glass. I think that might have had something to do with it. And again the fuel loading of the room itself, like the louver doors for the air conditioner or the closet again, the carpeting.
Speaker 9: And all that. I think a combination of everything.
Speaker 4: The room just flash and that was it.
Speaker 9: Yes, yeah, so see I could see that.
Speaker 6: So we have to take everything, have to come out of a structure. Now we can't burn we burn down here now thanks to NFPA fourteen oh three, Well that's has to be ripped out. You can't burn anything. You have to take everything out of the house. So a chuir, structures are not as fun as they sound.
Speaker 5: You can't really and that really this fire was the impetus for a lot of that change and a lot of the law. And you know you mentioned in Florida in many states, they can say fourteen oh three, it's actually law in Florida to conducted training, and it was because there was a bill passed in their honor, Was that not right, part.
Speaker 9: Yes, yes, one of our.
Speaker 12: One of the people from the community kind of got a hold of the legislatures and pushed for it real strict and again it was in honor of John in Dallas, and so we wouldn't have this tragedy. Again know, not only in the state of Florida, but other other people across the country have also taken that law and made it law in their state too, you know. And again fourteen oh three was updated a couple of times since then. Just like Gonzam said, it's it's it's very strict and and everything else.
Speaker 6: And yeah, it's a it's definitely very stringent. Even with that last incident, and not to get off topic, but the last incident that just happened to Mimmy Dade during another training incident where we lost a couple of guys, it's, you know, there's some more change that you know. Now they're holding people more accountable, you know. So it's just another element to that fourteen oh three where it's probably some more change will come from their incident.
Speaker 4: Right, And that that picture of that house, it's very deceiving. It doesn't look that big for the outside. It's like a bungalow.
Speaker 6: Yeah, just taken several days after the after the incident.
Speaker 12: That's when the Fire Marshal's office. That's one of their pictures when they started the investigation. Okay, well, I would say that it's later on that day or whatever they had it started boarding it up and then and then open it back up to get some more pictures.
Speaker 8: So my apologies my my video.
Speaker 7: My internet is a little on stable, so I have my camera off, but I can see what's going on in here. So this, yes, when you think, when you think about fourteen oh three, right, So it's one of the more controversial standards in the fire service today. You know, you hear a lot of bemoaning about it, but I think it's good to hear the In fact, I know it's good to hear about the fire that that that changed to where we have a standard like this, And I'm so appreciative of you saying it and talking about it. Training training, training, line of duty deaths happened, and one of the other fires in the books. Is in the book is from Pennsylvania, and we know, as Gonzo talked about the one in Miami, and I think about when I was the chief of the FDNY Fire Academy, we had a young prog who died as well.
Speaker 8: So you know, we know that these things happen.
Speaker 7: And they're difficult, but we are super appreciative of you being able to come on and spread the word.
Speaker 9: Thank you.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's kind of been my goal to honor John in Dallas the way, the best way that I can and is that to talk about the incident and you know, share with everybody in the fire service, because there are still people I know that I hear stories that, well, we got a house to burn, and y'all all come, and you know, it's hard to believe in twenty twenty four that that still happens, but it does. You know, you ask them what fourteen oh three is, and they're like, we never even heard of it, you know, and this house to the ground after sending guys in and everything else, and you know, it's just.
Speaker 5: Hey, Bart, it's almost there's almost an understanding that something bad out a house fire, as Kevin spoke about earlier, this is a training.
Speaker 13: Event, and I guess.
Speaker 5: Let's talk, if you don't mind, for just a minute about the behavioral health aspect. This took down a lot of people, more than just the two guys that lost their lives. Can you share a little bit about that, what the department did then, what you think they would do today, anything like that.
Speaker 12: Yeah, after the fire, we were all taken to one of the firehouses, and cism and all that was not It was just getting started in the Central Florida area, and they had some people that I think thought they knew more than what they did, and this was kind of their first big incident.
Speaker 9: So I know that.
Speaker 12: It didn't go well. They they gave it the old school try, but I can tell you that I got up and walked out several other members.
Speaker 9: And it did not go well.
Speaker 12: Since then, the department has a very very good CI s M team, And again that's all around Central Florida and across the state of Florida, you know. So and we have the health and safety collaborative that's through the fire chiefs and everything else. And Goneza, your past chief was a big initiator initiator of that. So you know, going back to then things weren't good. And I can tell you when when I was referred to go talk to somebody from the EAP program, I was ready to kill him.
Speaker 9: When I left. He did not understand, did not and he was not good for me.
Speaker 12: And I think, yeah, I got a little bit of help after that, But the biggest help I got from my brothers and sisters across the United States that kind of knew me and knew when things weren't right, and and just talking about it really helped. And and even today it still helps to talk about it because there's there's days that you know, I still think about that fire. I think about John and Dallas. John was a pretty good friend and we spent some time together. So you know, I have we have a memorial golf tournament every year in honor of John and Dallas, and we also have a symposium that we do uh in honor of them. This year it's going to be in August in Celebration, Florida. But you know that that's the way of I think that helps me honor them and helps me through everything. And things were things were rough, and there's still people out there, and I'll come out and say it that there's members of my old department that called me a murder and they called me a murderer to this day. And you know, but they're they're kind of the ones that don't want to go and really find out what happened. And so, you know, they might have been friends with those two firefighters and they had their own theories of what went on.
Speaker 9: But you know, it's still still a little sore for some people.
Speaker 12: And again, you know, go out and get educated and for for those involved in line of duty bests or any fire fatality. We've changed our a way of thinking in the fire service that you know, yeah, I asked them, is an important thing. Get out and talk to people and get somebody. You know, there's people that will listen to you, you know, whether it's your peers or we now have professionals that know what our job is and understand it and they go with fire departments. I think Coral Springs has some doctors that go there every once in a while. Again three or the collaborative in Florida that they understand our job. It's not like me going to the goofball from EAP that has no idea what a fireman is or what it does and you know that stuff too.
Speaker 5: Or you know you you you you touched on something there. First of all, this was there for the grace of God to go.
Speaker 13: We no question about it.
Speaker 5: This fire training was run a thousand other times that year and a thousand other places, and unfortunately yours is the one that went wrong. That's exactly how the training was done by every It was we didn't know, we didn't know, right, Okay, And again it's just the same with Kevin's situation. As horrible as it is, the loss has mattered. There are firefighters, no question, alive because of what happened in Prince William County. There are firefighters today that are alive because of your program that you've traveled the country with teaching what happened there and the laws that changed in Florida. So it is I mean, because without saying how horrible these.
Speaker 13: Losses are, but what do we do with it?
Speaker 5: Then helps many of those who are living on to know that we are making a difference, and you certainly are. And to those who you know, it's like it's like talking to somebody about high rise.
Speaker 13: If I want to hear about higher as you talk.
Speaker 5: To him and he'd done if you want, because he's been there, done that, okay, and he tea which is that you want to talk about single family dwelling fires with things that are terribly wrong, you talk to Chief McGee because he was there. He's been there, done that, and it's the same thing with you. So and I know this is an emotional.
Speaker 6: Beyond.
Speaker 5: I know I speak for all the guys and getting told he was so glad you hit and I taught about this.
Speaker 13: But the troops have got to understand this is in the game.
Speaker 5: This is not bullshit. And God help anyone who said to you what they said to you, because they've never walked the bent an inch in your shoes. And you're still around, You're still teaching, You're still making a big difference.
Speaker 13: That's a big deal, brother.
Speaker 1: For sure.
Speaker 4: And you know, through the hurt comes learning and hopefully healing. For you, guys, we appreciate you sharing these stories so guys can learn from it, you know, and you know, like Billy said, it's for something, you know, it's to pass along these tips. And I thank you, know Billy and Chief Lee for coming up with this idea of putting all these stories together. Great idea who was it was. It was you had to be you billy right. Yeah, well had to be you billy right. They came up with the idea Lee was just Brian you cottails.
Speaker 13: He was actually being driven around the city with a chauffeur.
Speaker 4: Is he still I can't see him?
Speaker 9: I don't know.
Speaker 8: I'm still here.
Speaker 6: He's still here, he's writing.
Speaker 5: Said.
Speaker 9: One more point of the mental health side. Having the services in place for when you have a traumatic incident is critically important, But just as important is how you prepare your people from the beginning and doing the psychological first aid because our emergency response personnel are exposed to constance dressers, the little ones and the big ones, one after another after and to prepare them to have resilience is extremely important.
Speaker 8: That brother, Yeah, amen to that. And I'm going to add on to that.
Speaker 7: The First Respondent Center for Excellence has some no course training in that regard on our learning management platform and you can go to First Respondent first Respondercenter dot org and log onto the learning management system.
Speaker 8: There's a stress first aid. There's a couple of new ones coming out, so.
Speaker 7: You're right, we have to go upstream and make sure that we're taking care of our brothers and sisters long before they need.
Speaker 6: It, and that's what we're trying to do.
Speaker 7: So thank you for bringing that up, because it's okay to not be okay, but it's even more important that we make sure that we are building resiliency into our firefighters and we do that from day one when they join our beloved profession.
Speaker 8: So thank you again for.
Speaker 7: Being out there and talking about this and and really both of you guys to taking a lead to make sure these stories are not forgotten and these firefighters are not forgotten.
Speaker 12: Just to throw something else in there, you know, we talk about you know, I've kind of been in the fire service. I'm trying to catch up the billy, but I don't know if I'll ever do that. But things are things. People are different now, you know. And you know, for us older guys that have been around for a while, the things that we have seen that you know, and I guess over the years that it's you've seen it. It kind of in the way we were brought up. Maybe it didn't affect us is as bad as it does with the younger kids. And I'm not trying to cut down the younger generations, but they were brought up or brought up a whole lot different then we were when we were kids. And I'm coming through. You know, we use the analogy of, you know, I asked the kid for a screwdriver, he goes, what do you want to want to go straight across?
Speaker 6: Or the one that's like a cross plus minus? Yeah, plus a minus.
Speaker 12: I've heard so just so you know, yeah, yeah, And but we have to take that into consideration again. You know, it seems like the world is more violent and we're going to more you know, more incidents that were exposing these younger guys too, and we have to you know, like Chief Gee said and Chief Leep said that, you know, we have to take that into consideration these days, the way the younger generation is because you know, at first, I started laughing because I had somebody on the job for five years because I have PTSD. I'm like, what, you know, I've been thirty five or forty years and yes I have PTSD, but I'm not you know, but I'm not throwing it at the card out right away and all that. And it took me a while to understand that that, yes, yeah, he probably does have PTSD because he wasn't brought up the way we were in the fire service.
Speaker 4: Well, then I'm going to add one to chief leads and actually to Chief Gee. When they said you have to start when they come in the job building resilient resiliency, I say, you start on your own kids at home, Stop building resiliency. Start teaching them so they're not you know this way when they get to that point. You know, it has to start before they get on the job. Yes, I'm trying to work with Gonzo the best I can, but I think he's a lost course. I don't know.
Speaker 13: A great point.
Speaker 6: Bart.
Speaker 5: You bring up the generation, and it's really important for the company officer to understand it doesn't matter if.
Speaker 13: You like or don't like this new generation.
Speaker 5: This is what you got and you need to if they weren't molded as Cube said, if they weren't molded right at home, you got work to do it the plous But we have to understand that stress is real. And I do the same squints like you said. Somebody says PTSD, come on, will you Kidney, But you know what, it's their PTSD and his bosses.
Speaker 13: We got to make sure we take care of that right.
Speaker 4: The man behind the curtain. Anything else for you to say, sir, yeah, pay no attention to that man the black screen.
Speaker 9: I do want to say one other thing, if I may, Billie, I want to thank you and recognizing for what you did to support my department in the National Fire Service when if you recall when I came to you, you were in the leadership position in the Safety, Health and Survival section, and I approached you because you were somebody I knew since you were chief in the neighborhood department, and uh, when I shared with you, we have some work to do at the national level to make it safer for firefighters. And I have these recommendations from a line of duty death investigation team. They've examined the incident very thoroughly. I support these findings and the recommendations. And you stood right up to step in to get the National Fire Service to move on these things. So I don't know if this, uh the some of these things would have been accomplished without you. So thank you, and I'm indebted to you.
Speaker 6: Not at all.
Speaker 4: He's a good guy, got a great mustache too.
Speaker 5: You know, I think there's a cartoon out there something.
Speaker 6: I'm not going to do it. If we have to queue it up, but dude, you believe you do it, so good tonight. Trampone man just going to call them trampone.
Speaker 4: All right, So we're going to continue with this, right, gentlemen.
Speaker 13: Yes, yes, so you asked earlier.
Speaker 5: Of course, Frank and I and thank you Kevin very kind. There was no options to help push this and make some change. Frank and I started this when we basically just as friends talking on the phone. Hey, how come you know, why don't the firefighters know about this?
Speaker 13: Don't know about that?
Speaker 5: I looked at one of my crews, Oh, there you are, Hey, he's there, and uh, you know. One of the key ones was I said to a crew of firefighters, well this is just like what happened in Hacketsack. And they looked at me like I had three heads that the name Hackensack didn't click. And that was the idea of Frank and I spoke and I gotta tell you and this is a nonprofit venture with all of our proceeds and being donated. But what's important is it's it's really taking off. And I know your show has certainly helped that.
Speaker 6: But yeah, we got Amazon.
Speaker 5: We got to think from Amazon it's a best seller. That's a big deal in the Amazon world. So and look it was Frank and I came up with the idea. But just like in a fire, here's a couple of chiefs, but the job gets done by the people on the fire ground.
Speaker 13: Well, this job got done by the thirty one.
Speaker 5: Authors who participated in this book to share their stories, like Bart and like Kevin.
Speaker 4: Chapter seventeen's exquisite. I'm just going to say that one more time.
Speaker 8: That's the one we hear more.
Speaker 4: Oh there you are.
Speaker 6: I don't know if you wanted to really so we have okay goods. I couldn't.
Speaker 8: I could not do that more than he's more than a glorious Mustang.
Speaker 5: Somebody scanning through the internet and they said it must be getting salty.
Speaker 6: Sorry, sorry, I just had to do that.
Speaker 4: I want to thank you all for coming on again tonight.
Speaker 13: As always, and yes we have war planned.
Speaker 4: Adding to that amount of times he's been on the show, he's the most prolific guest and now co host of the Get Insulted Experience podcast Whenever louis out and Billy and Bart and Chief Beginni. Thanks for coming on than what are we gonna do this again next month.
Speaker 5: We gotta get a date, yeah, Frankel coordinator.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm the I'm the coordinator of that. So you know, coops, you know you'll you'll send me some dates.
Speaker 4: Right, I know how it works.
Speaker 13: You just started the fire school, Mike.
Speaker 1: No, not yet.
Speaker 10: Early next year.
Speaker 13: We're thinking either January or February.
Speaker 4: They haven't give me a date yet, young face. We're just staying Billy. What would be like to be in his shoes right now, just stepping into the fire service right now, like twenty four years old. Oh, I'm jealous.
Speaker 6: I love you have the job for right now before you even.
Speaker 13: Here, it already does. Yeah, yeah, yeah, well, hell of a firefighter for thank you, Chief.
Speaker 6: I appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Stole away from the love of cops.
Speaker 6: Man he wanted to be. He was die hard still.
Speaker 10: By cops just could never do their job. I don't know how they do a shoutout to them as well.
Speaker 4: All right, so we will see you guys probably next week, I think. Right. Oh, we got to do the shoutout Johns. Please. We had a gentleman pass away. Wasn't allowed to do aty death, but it was a sudden death. He was a big fan of the show, loved the fire service. Go ahead away, buddy.
Speaker 6: It was City of William's Sport by Michael Bashan. If I am pronouncing his last name correctly, he died. He's had nine news on the job. I'm gonna pull up his picture now or share it with you.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 6: He is a Mike who's lieutenant on the sequeltomb a wealth of knowledge, so he's gonna be one of the smartest and best firefighters they had.
Speaker 4: So rest in Pea's brother.
Speaker 1: Yes, so that's him.
Speaker 6: And obviously in honor of our guests tonight, I have a little, uh, couple of little pictures. I don't have those two gentlemen.
Speaker 4: And then we have that kid looks so young man, So rest in peace. Any last thoughts before we head out, Chief sleep Billy.
Speaker 5: Anybody Merry Christmas and happy and safe New Year, and take care.
Speaker 4: I got all I want for Christmas. This is all I wanted and I got it. That's it on Amazon. Get a lot of Amazon. Keep on learning, keep on learning.
Speaker 6: It is speaking of Christmas time. This Christmas time, you guys need to get out and get your till.
Speaker 4: Go to www. Dot getting. Don't go into the guys, we're talking back. I'll get your address so we can tell you that they're free. Fine and love free stuff, my chief, fine, love stuff. All right, until next time. You know what I say, Stay low and go.
Speaker 6: Thank you, guys. Have a good night. I'm gonna say see you in the top floor tonight, Mikey take us home baby.
Speaker 10: All right, I'll be with everyone. Be safe, have a good night, and ladies and gentlemen, beat byes and toys are dropping. Transmit the signal seventy three what
Speaker 6: Good henyone