Speaker 1: Hello, everyone, Welcome back to the fire Escape Cast. I am Mike Bahardy. It is episode ninety here as always with Dan Riker, Hello and Mary kish No. See which one of them was gonna do a merry impression?
Speaker 2: Oh wait, Mike, are we making history tonight on this fires?
Speaker 3: Is this the first time we've done four people?
Speaker 4: It is?
Speaker 5: We're making history? Or who could it be? People are asking.
Speaker 2: Who is that? You ask?
Speaker 3: That's Mike Manatti.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 6: I would never try to do an impression of Mary. She was very scary last time I was here.
Speaker 3: Mary's a baby.
Speaker 2: And Jeff Grubb is also joining us.
Speaker 4: It's the Internet, You're brazy. Let's do this. Welcome to the Game As Decides Podcast. How Jeff Rubbed Me is a couple of pros here.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: I noticed that Jeff Grubb came in on time and wasn't muted.
Speaker 2: For a while, and listen.
Speaker 4: I would never do that. Oh my god, you.
Speaker 2: To be clear.
Speaker 4: You've done this for a while, Grub, you're apro was ready to go and then you're like, oh, we we have to record some ads.
Speaker 2: I'll let you guys know we're ready. I was like, OK, you got with the punch.
Speaker 5: And I still scent it before the time I told you, even with the ads considered, so that doesn't count.
Speaker 4: I can check the eight fifty seven pm yes notation on my phone.
Speaker 2: It was my bad. I'm sorry, Okay, I.
Speaker 5: Just want people to get window into the nightmare it is working with Mike and yeah, it's really unpleasant.
Speaker 1: Mike and Jeff are both previous guests separately on the podcast, both times when I was not here. Mike, you and I did Hell Divers together the bonus episode. But did we We haven't done an episode, I don't think. No.
Speaker 6: No, yeah, we did Hell Divers. We bonded over Lord of the Rings, and uh, I thought we bonded.
Speaker 2: We built up, we built up some good will. We're really like getting to know each other.
Speaker 6: And then I accidentally called you Matt and just you know, completely reverse direction there.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately it could be only one mic.
Speaker 3: You said it in person to Dan at Seattle as.
Speaker 2: Well, begged him not to tell you. What was the content? Why were we recording you talking about him? No, we didn't record it at all. We were talking about him.
Speaker 4: We were at the j W Drinks in liked right away, okay, got it?
Speaker 2: Just a mean jerk that.
Speaker 1: Wow, both don't remember Mike and Jeff are from Game mess podcasts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, whatever, you guess.
Speaker 4: It's kind of messed up that you invited us both because this will be Mike, is this four podcasts we're doing together this week? Christian wanted us to do Columbro, so that would have been five. Definitely not happening now. Wow, yeah, god you guys, this is This is the fourth one right now. We're doing a fifth one tomorrow. Oh is that true?
Speaker 2: We did yesterday, we did two today, we're doing a fifth tomorrow. Oh my god, you have the dog one. I like the dog gimmick. Thank you, thank you. I like our dog gimmick.
Speaker 6: Although we did our Nintendo podcast yesterday and then like the fun Nintendo stuff happened today when we're recording with this Power World lawsuit and like the Switch two leaks and all this stuff.
Speaker 4: But that's okay. They hate us, we know. I'm sure we'll get it into later in the news section.
Speaker 2: Oh, we'll break it all down.
Speaker 3: I think a section is gonna go a bit long.
Speaker 2: The Roman Dissonance of the week, the on we long time.
Speaker 1: All the stars are here, but yeah, I'm out numbered by giant Bombers tonight.
Speaker 5: Mm hmm yeah, sorry, games Mess, cross Giant Bomb, cross Fire Escape here, look at that.
Speaker 2: That's right, games Mess, Game Mess.
Speaker 4: It's game.
Speaker 6: It's a play on Summer Game Fest because it was originally Summer Game Mess.
Speaker 4: It was right, and it was Jeff Grubbs Summer Game Mess. When I was like poking at at Jeff Keeley, which what I never I would never do today. Very respectful of them, yes, just like hard Drive like, oh yeah, listen, I just let hard Drive do all the work. It's fine. Yeah, And so we were poking at it and now that was like, oh, I was telling people like when stuff would happen before that it was announced and things like that, and that's just now. The Patreon Patreon dot com slash game mets and you two.
Speaker 6: Goes near each other as well. Right, pretty cool, North Northeast, Ohio up eighty five minutes, eighty five minute dry. We're actually hang out this weekend.
Speaker 2: Classic Games.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's a big video video game convention, like a retro gaming convention at the big Springfield door, not a Springfield. It's in Cleveland, but there's a lot of venders.
Speaker 4: We can't do and go to Springfield anymore. They ate all the consoles there, but they're just going nuts there nuts with television. They ate the Sega Saturns.
Speaker 2: It's terrible. Oh my god.
Speaker 6: I was really confused because I live right by a Springfield, Ohio, and I was like, I was like, first I ever heard about this?
Speaker 2: What like, what's going on? And I had to look.
Speaker 6: Turns out that the Springfield I'm by has been named New Springfield this entire time, probably because it was the second Springfield And.
Speaker 2: Can we should just do Shelbyville at that point? You should. Mike Mahrty doesn't get that reference.
Speaker 3: I watched enough Simpsons more.
Speaker 2: You're more of a Futurama guy. I get it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think is a front runner for like the possible location of Springfield from the Simpsons right.
Speaker 5: Well, that that's it's never had a real thing. The whole point was, there's the most named thing in the in the country. To believe spring Mike hasn't seen Simpsons. He's more of a he used to until I blocked him on Instagram. Just send me wine memes, put over the office US clips and uh lately I think I unblocked him and send those to me.
Speaker 2: I send those to you. No, No, I'm saying you go ahead and send those to me.
Speaker 3: I send you the Undertaker one.
Speaker 5: Yes, you moved on to wrestling wine memes. Undertaker sitting up out of the coffin. Bo, wouldn't you smell a good shirt?
Speaker 3: You're butchering a very good meme. No, Mike makes a good point.
Speaker 4: I think these two mics are way more alike than people might first realize, because I think they are both into their various alcoholic beverages to a similar degree. Like Mike cares about whiskey that much. I'm obviously you do.
Speaker 2: Too, Like I think. I think Mike the first, may I call you Mike the first.
Speaker 1: He's been very differential ever since he got aname wrong and said that I thought we were best friend?
Speaker 3: No, how did you phrase it? He thinks we're best friends.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of people are his best friend. Yeah, it's not a good play up.
Speaker 1: The meme was it was like when you open a bottle of When you open a bottle of like d r C you thought was dead, there's the Undertaker coming up out of his coffin and choking.
Speaker 2: Was that triple h? Remember your wine meme? Exactly Undertaker.
Speaker 1: So Triple H is this guy who works at w I think he's still at w w E. He's related to the rest of the family that owns.
Speaker 4: Married in.
Speaker 2: Them. Mcmahonks mahons.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you got Leam and Ryan and Doyle mcoyle.
Speaker 2: We did.
Speaker 5: We did a black club recently, me and our two guests here and I asked, I was talking to Bank about just gohing man. Black club's so good and just you know, the chemistry is so easy. And I asked her. I was like, who am I more similar to between Grub and Manati? And she started saying Manati and then she stopped and she goes, No, Manati's pretty extreme.
Speaker 2: You're more like Grub.
Speaker 3: Extreme in what way?
Speaker 4: Yeah? This year collaborate boarding, you know, Yeah, every time he goes to Disney. That's what he's like known for. Yeah, you guys know about it. Extremely Goofy movie. No, yeah, because you literally told me all about it two days ago. So there's a Goofy movie from the nineties and it's, you know, a beloved millennial classic, but in the early two thousands straight to DVD, an extremely Goofy movie where Goofy's son goes to college, but Goofy also goes to college and they both get involved with the X Games.
Speaker 2: It's fantastic, right, No, absolutely, they're all dogs. Come on, yeah, dog.
Speaker 1: Pluto is like not anthropomorphic though, right, No, so he's dog.
Speaker 6: You're like ten years ten years behind on like Disney fan means we've all had.
Speaker 4: Oh no, god, I feel like a dork now.
Speaker 3: That's actually what really kicked off.
Speaker 1: Uh, Mike and my relationship was when I made fun of Disney adults and like you and you reached out very cordially.
Speaker 3: It was like a whole middle finger. Yeah via email.
Speaker 4: Time, get to know him a little bit better. It won't be cordial the next time. I always get it. What actually turns everybody around is going to Disneyland with me. It turns out everybody good time, it was good, It was good. It would be going to gayl Pari with with Mike Maharty, like the Disneyland of Wine.
Speaker 6: Maharty would be so easy with with disney World, even because there's so.
Speaker 2: Because you could just get them drunk.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, because disney World is so big, it's so many things, like I could I could make a good at least three day vacation for anybody in the world. Less they're gonna just be a complete like fuddy duddy and just like not want to give in a little bit.
Speaker 2: You Yeah, that might be rough, like but that might be rough.
Speaker 4: But like with Mike, there's so many like Like there's like the one restaurant in the Animal Kingdom Lodge resort that has like like the largest selection of I think South African wines in the country or something like that.
Speaker 2: So it's like.
Speaker 3: Mentioned in the email, and I was intrigued for sure.
Speaker 2: Right, So you like that. And there's a bunch of other like great one.
Speaker 6: There's a place called Wine Bar George with of Somalier who who opened that there, And there's a lot of amazing wines there and good food and stuff like that. Just great restaurants in general, especially like honestly, at my age, that's the thing I look forward to the most in Disney World now is the restaurants almost more than anything else.
Speaker 2: Is good.
Speaker 5: You've taken me, you've taken grub, You've gone with Ben Hanson, although Hanson's probably not a hard cell, but know it, it is hard to have a bad time, all right.
Speaker 4: I would shoot at one of the best times in my life that day. That was so much fun.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is disney World or Land or both the ones with the like the food stalls from around the world.
Speaker 6: Epcott was the first one to do that, and now they kind of they kind of copy it in Disneyland in the California Adventure Park now because it was so successful in Epclot. It's not quite as hot over there, but yeah, Epcot's a one with that, and with the drinking around the world thing because they have all the different areas seemed to different countries and so you can get like a margarita at Mexico and then get a beer at Germany and some wine at Italy, and you know you can.
Speaker 4: Yeah, beer Garden is the one I'm kind of annoyed that we're not gonna be going to because we're in a Disney World for the first time with the family in November and we just made all our reservations because you got to make them sixty days out and the beer Garden was what I was looking at.
Speaker 2: It was like that looks like a very good time. Yeah, beer Garden.
Speaker 6: It's a German themed and they like have like a band right and even have like a guy with one of the ricola horns.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 6: So that's fun and it's a a Fay style thing. But yeah, one thing I'll.
Speaker 5: Say, Mike, and I was very honest about my trip to disney World or Disneyland. You talk with the restaurants. I don't know how Krthay Circle is generally considered. I thought it was fine. I think I think some people are maybe there with that. I didn't even eat a full meal there, I don't I'm.
Speaker 2: Sorry, what is this karth? They sure?
Speaker 5: We had dinner at Disneyland, and I was told like, oh, this is the one and it was very expensive. Uh, and but it's gimmicked, like it's that's it's the gimmick.
Speaker 2: And he loves gimmicks.
Speaker 5: If you love the Margaritaville, you love Rainforest Cafe, Bubble, you.
Speaker 2: Enjoy going to Margaritaville, Oh yeah, absolutely. Next time you're in.
Speaker 1: New York, let's go the rooftop in Midtown.
Speaker 2: You come to our Margaritaville.
Speaker 3: We found the glue between all four of us trip.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 6: When I went to the Mall of America with Dan, there was like this courtyard where it was like it was like a Mexican could stand off with the Margheritaville, the Rape Forest Cafe in the Bubble Cups strip, just like all staring at each other, and I was like, this is the most beautiful thing I've ever did.
Speaker 4: You stand equidistant between all three? Did you do that?
Speaker 5: It's like a four corners thing with the stands. Yeah, one hand in every restaurant. Yeah, the four corners.
Speaker 2: That's fun.
Speaker 4: To give me a blindfold. It's spinned me around.
Speaker 2: Absolutely love that. Let's do that.
Speaker 5: Let's go spin Mike Manati in America.
Speaker 1: I remember during COVID or not, like after COVID things had started opening up again. I was trying to go to the Olive Garden in Midtown just because it wouldn't be flooded with tourists and it would actually be still be Olive Garden.
Speaker 5: That was the one where I dared you to go by yourself and demand they sang happy Birthday to you.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, yeah, I did not do that. I could do that, mate.
Speaker 6: Maybe last time I was at Olive Gardens because my nephew made us go because it was it's mentioned in one of the Sonic movies, so he was like, he's really it doesn't he.
Speaker 4: Get apasta path like in the second song of the Sonic Movie or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's how he was, like really exciting.
Speaker 4: It's incredible that that air movie advertising worked on a child man.
Speaker 2: He was so happy to be there.
Speaker 5: Grub was it You posted a thing today of the funk Co Fusion game with like a KFC mini game.
Speaker 2: Yep, not a mini game.
Speaker 4: It's like the KFC things are like all like a bucket of chicken is littered all over the game and you gotta shoot it like so many.
Speaker 2: Tongue lock stuff or something.
Speaker 6: I want to be cynical, but I loved Yo Noyd for the NYT listening.
Speaker 4: My my post was my eyes dilating because I'm like, I gotta play this now, like I.
Speaker 5: Hate Funko, Like I think that shit's really stupid, and we're going to play play the game. But if they're going all the way like branding nutso like beyond crazy Taxi, We've got a KFC in a pizza.
Speaker 2: Hut, I would like to play. We're gonna play it.
Speaker 4: Although the other part of that story is it hard locked twenty one times on them, so they couldn't even review it.
Speaker 2: They try to review it. Yeah, so sounds like a good time. Well, it's weird.
Speaker 6: It looks like it runs so well in all the trailer, I feel like we're going happening on giant bomb dot com or we're gonna do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I'll do that with you.
Speaker 4: It was I got. The only thing I remember that game is in the direct uh being like Funko was fusion popped up Mike's talking. I made a joke like shut out, shut the fuck up, we're gonna respect this, and immediately it started playing and I couldn't. I'm like, this looks like shit, and it's like it was just unbelievable unmitigated ship.
Speaker 3: Do any of you own any Funko pops?
Speaker 6: I used to have a few. I think back when the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie came out. I got like all the Guardians of the Galaxy and I was like, this is neat, that's fun A slightly hot take. Look, I don't love Funko pops. I care then bought one and maybe a decade they don't upset me like they seem. I mean the thing I kind of I'll I don't know.
Speaker 5: Sometimes you'll see like an image of somebody screaming on the internet about something and there's like a literal wall, like a wall of their home made of funko pops behind them, and it's like, all right, that's kind.
Speaker 6: Of like they're definitely tacky, and I know how, I get how that happened, and like, yeah, that tackiness transfers to people own a lot of them.
Speaker 1: Sure, So here's here's one time they actually have really annoyed me. I've usually been indifferent to them. There is a wine bar like across the street from me, let's say two blocks up, and like our five listeners in Hoboken, we'll probably know where I'm talking about. Really nice Italian bar, great food. They have like twelve different kinds of briscatta. It's like they're going for the like very much going for the nice Italian.
Speaker 4: I have no idea where this story is going, but I'm very.
Speaker 1: Shy in the bar, Like half of behind the bar, next to like some really expensive Barolos and Brunello's are like one hundred funko pops on the.
Speaker 4: Show like of like Tony Soprano and Muslin.
Speaker 3: There's no there's no theme to any of them.
Speaker 1: It's there's Deadpool, there's Sonic, there's I don't know whose idea it was, but it aggravated.
Speaker 2: It's the owner's son who we can't say no to.
Speaker 6: Clearly, how many fun pops are there of people or characters that have now been canceled?
Speaker 2: Your master list is probably dot Com, the Bill Cosby one. She protects that with all her might.
Speaker 5: Who's the old guy that died recently, that did a bunch of war stuff like crimes?
Speaker 2: Oh God, damn it.
Speaker 1: Hen was he ever cancelor was it just always acknowledging that you.
Speaker 2: Were fond of him. It's weird that there's a pop of him either way, there really.
Speaker 4: Is, I don't I think.
Speaker 5: I think one guy g That's the only reason I know him.
Speaker 1: So Mike and I both into Margaritaville, were also both super gullible.
Speaker 2: Insanely gullible. All right, I'm looking at the whole.
Speaker 5: Okay, so no fictional characters obviously, Disney, Marvel, dc U, this doesn't matter, TV series line, burned Spring, Okay. Is there a Roseanne Funko pop? Oh, there can't be. She's been Uh, she's been for a while. She came back ship that show she was on the Connors enough for Funko Pop. I mean no, there's no Roseanne.
Speaker 2: Damn.
Speaker 4: I thought I thought that was I thought that was our best bet. Star Wars, Star Trek, Game of Thrones, a lot of video game stuff, No doctor disrespect, no, none of that. I just got to w W.
Speaker 2: That'll do it.
Speaker 5: Hang on hul Cogan, which you know, shockingly not as canceled as he should be, should be more.
Speaker 2: Canceled at any given time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, out of all of these wrestlers, Hogan's the closest. And he's got one Okay, so Hogan is the most He's the closest to being canceled I've seen so far.
Speaker 4: There is no Bill Cosby Funko, so no events.
Speaker 6: I'm looking at Vince. I'm looking at Vince. I found one eBay for twenty bucks. Mister McMahon, is that a custom job? It doesn't look like it even has the number number fifty three, So that's the important.
Speaker 4: Admiring from jingle all the way holding a mail bomb.
Speaker 6: Then you guys just link to eBay. But I think, I yeah, I think this is a legitimate mister McMahon.
Speaker 4: That's definitely a cancel Funk Pop Wow, Okay, that was not listed on this website of my On here.
Speaker 6: Where I see it, you can also get a mister America Dan was all.
Speaker 5: Coke was also whole coked. Well there's the way to prove that, brother.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I guess Vince.
Speaker 1: There was on my desk at game Spot for a bit when I inherited the desk from I think it was Mary, but I don't think it was her funko pop either, because it was a Lara Croft funko pop.
Speaker 5: My mom once she knows I like a big Trouble Little China, and she she likes the movie lot too, And you know, obviously she doesn't know like nerd culture or anything like that, so she would have no where. She just saw like, oh, this Jack Burton thing at a store or whatever and send it to me in San Francisco and I lived there and we're like party, like, oh thanks Mom.
Speaker 2: Party.
Speaker 4: It was like, I don't want to put a funk o pop on my desk, So it's like I just kind of kept it out of sight for a little.
Speaker 2: Bit, but just bust it out when she visits. Yeah, yeah, Hey, I.
Speaker 1: Have a couple of friends his grandma for a wedding gift sent them this like huge ass painting that they hate, and they actually put it up, like planning on putting it up in the hallway when she visits.
Speaker 6: They keep it in a classic sitcom move sitcom stuff right there.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 5: I mean, we still have your face already on our ceiling in Bannk's office.
Speaker 2: It's still it's still there, yes, awesome.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then but the top bunk's not there anymore, so it's like way more visible now.
Speaker 3: So so I'm lording over the person sleeping even more.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, absolutely, from on high et me in November. Oh yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Don't remember where that photo was from. Was that when I looked like I peed my pants a Game Informer?
Speaker 2: No? I use that one a lot.
Speaker 5: This one was you just made a stupid face while we were having fuh in Danbury, Connecticut. Oh okay, yeah, yeah, before I locked you in my basement when we streamed it hard. Can I ask you a question? Yeah, did did you watch it? Enjoy home Star Runner dot com?
Speaker 1: Yes, I've never missed a strong bed email. I was in the come on Forhoga gods always in my head.
Speaker 2: It came up with me Jeff.
Speaker 4: Jeff was like, like, I don't know him. Death was not into I'm a wary exist. I just never watched it. But Mike was like, it was huge in my high school. No one in my high school ever mentioned it once. Ever, it was huge in my dorm, like people love that. Yeah, I came out.
Speaker 2: It was like a cultural keystone.
Speaker 4: I graduated in two thousand and one, so I do think it might have been a bit early.
Speaker 2: I was two, okay, then you said in the doors.
Speaker 4: Opposed three it was big, bigger scumbags who barely used the Internet from like two thousand and two to like two thousand and six, So yeah, I think that might have helped that.
Speaker 1: It was one of my after like Harry Potter dot com. I think Homestar Runner was one of my first like go to websites. I was in middle school.
Speaker 2: Were you into those Potter puppet pals too? Oh yeah? Oh yeah? That is that the one like snape snap.
Speaker 4: I think that video at one point was the most watched YouTube video ever. You're close to it, uh once the pot time you ever watch those tiktoks where it's like a chart that like the tracks the popularity, so can watch talks you you're talking about it. I would like to see that that. You're right, that's probably is up there for a while.
Speaker 3: What were the like Touchstone?
Speaker 2: What was it?
Speaker 1: Would like be the single Touchstone comedy movie for your high school years?
Speaker 2: Uh, Lebowski?
Speaker 5: Well, no, you know what, Well Junior High it would be Austin Powers Junior High, Austin Powers High.
Speaker 2: School, Powers ace Ventura.
Speaker 6: Earlier early that Austin Powers. Probably I would be Anchorman, I think maybe. Also, uh, what's the one with Will Farrow and I Love You?
Speaker 2: Hear my? I blew old Old School popped off My.
Speaker 3: Sophomore year was super bad, like sweat swept the school.
Speaker 4: It's actually like right there. Half Bake probably would have been us right when I was graduating.
Speaker 2: I liked that Baked. Yeah. Yeah, it's a great comedy, especially when you're a teenager or whatever.
Speaker 5: You as much as I even especially when these movies came out, as much as I was a drunken, you know, dumb ass. I never found Old School or The Hangover to be particularly funny.
Speaker 2: It'll just like Old School more than Hangover. But I didn't love either.
Speaker 6: You know, I'm the opposite, but I like I like movies set in Vegas just because it kind of feels like I'm on vacation.
Speaker 2: I just like the part like, oh hey, now they're in the Caesars Palace.
Speaker 4: And that is That is why I like Ocean's eleven a lot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, yes, Vegas Vacation Crew here I love.
Speaker 4: Yeah, changing five hundred every time it goes into the like the casino where they played war and like I guess the number and stuff like that plays on my head in a loop.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's incredible. Still have never done Vegas.
Speaker 5: You've never been to Vegas? That shocks me. I would feel isn't like is Dice there?
Speaker 3: Sometimes this is in Lake Como, Italy this year.
Speaker 5: Oh that's until you're going.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not. I wish I was. I couldn't.
Speaker 1: I couldn't get a maggot to expense two of us going.
Speaker 5: What would be the dream city for all of us? For like, okay, E threes move or Summer Games Fest is moving out of l A. And from now on for one week every summer, you're you in the entire games industry goes to.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, yeah, you're right, it's in New Orleans.
Speaker 2: Probably for me, I don't know that I would.
Speaker 1: And I love so many people I've worked with, and E three and Summer Games West have There's been great memories. I don't know that I want to be anywhere with like that many with I like that many people there for a convention. I feel like it's going to make any place like like La for Summer Game Fest. I'm always like keyed up and anxious about it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but would rather be anywhere than La kind of near skid Row.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I guess I enjoy like games Calm dream city for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think it would be it wouldn't be like Paris or I think Chicago would be good.
Speaker 6: I'm just about to say maybe chicag I like Chicago centralized.
Speaker 4: I'd be with that said say Chicago.
Speaker 2: Yeaheah, yeah, yeah, I listened to you. I Chicago.
Speaker 3: I just feel like I would enjoy.
Speaker 4: It's such a It's an awesome city. Actually, it's what we were like when we were considered moving. It was like a Chicago probably too expensive, so we're think of Minneapolis or Cleveland, and we ended up going to Cleveland because it was the most affordable. But then right after that we took a family vacation to Chicago, and I really fell in love that because it's it is a big city, but it's still very Midwest. But it has everything. It has all the cultures. Every ten feet there's another awesome restaurant. There's so much stadium, there's medieval times. Yeah, it's fun stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: On the west what's that called West Point here or whatever.
Speaker 2: The y Yeah, awesome, amazing. I love going to see just a real city in a lot of ways.
Speaker 1: I think my wife's convinced once I see it, I'll never want to leave. She thinks that it will resonate with me, and I think like two siblings. A few uncles have told me it, and they meant this in the like in the highest form of a compliment, that it's like the most American city they've been to, Like it feels like it can be salt of the earth. It feels like a lot of their favorite restaurants and bars are like divy but like a lot of character.
Speaker 2: It's got.
Speaker 4: It's got like it is very American, and then it's also extremely multicultural, and it's awesome at both.
Speaker 2: It's really cool.
Speaker 3: A lot of Irish people that I know.
Speaker 5: I was impressed by Mahrdy and Mary and some friends in Pland recently, and I had never been there before, and like we weren't like downtown or anything like that. We were just kind of like hanging out and like I don't know if you call it a suburban area, but lots of like no that tyburns and breakfast places and it's great.
Speaker 1: That was like that was Portland but yeah, correct, not downtown, but it was still the city.
Speaker 2: But yeah, Portland's awesome. We we were only there for a few hours.
Speaker 1: Before we went farther up into the Columbia gorge but extremely nice like natural environments right outside the city. I mean a lot of cities have that, but this kind of it like dissolves into it as opposed to like city and then outskirts gorgeous like gardens and all the houses. It's the Rose City after all. Yeah, it's awesome there, Yeah, beautiful. Definitely want to check it out sometime. I like Seattle a lot, which is another Northwestern city. I assume it's them alert it's bigger, and it's Seattle is more. Seattle is definitely more like tail bars, like artisanal coffee shops.
Speaker 2: It's like the most college in the right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Portland definitely feels more I and people from Portland can well correct me if this is way off, but it If this means anything to you, guys, it feels like a big astoria at Queen's.
Speaker 5: College town post college, like if the vibe of your like college like hippie college town continued into adulthood.
Speaker 2: Basically killer pace than Seattle. In my exterest, do you have hippie college towns like? Yeah? Ye.
Speaker 4: Hell Yellow Springs, Ohio, where Dave Chappelle lives, is a famous like hippie college town that people around here hang out too, And I bet Portland's very similar to that, and anyone from Ohio, most people from Ohio will know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: One really quick, cool fun fact about Portland. Uh, back in the day when it was still stumptown, it started as a logging town.
Speaker 3: Two people who had like the rights to the plot.
Speaker 1: One was from Portland, Maine, one was from Boston, Massachusetts, and they were trying they're arguing about what they wanted to call it when it was being incorporated, and both of them wanted to name it after their home hometown, so they decided on Portland after flipping a coin.
Speaker 5: Oh wow, yea Springfield and Shelby.
Speaker 6: That's interesting because it's it's a boring name, right, It's just like, well, what are we got in this land?
Speaker 2: Ports? All right? There you go, and it's it's not even on the ocean.
Speaker 6: It's a river port, Right's they at their a land that had ports. It doesn't even make sense here anymore.
Speaker 4: You guys. Ever see you a basketball?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 4: And one of the best bits in that is when they talk about all the teams moved around where like La moved to Lakers where there are no lakes, and the jazz moved to Utah where they don't allow music.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's but yeah, New Orleans also be great. I still have not been to New Orleans either.
Speaker 5: Oh I'd love to go to New Orleans. All I've been there like five or six times. Now you say this, I've never been to New Orleans. Why do you like it so much? I'm not Gauley, but I'm curious. Okay, Like, you know, people like to go to like Vegas and it's just like, okay, it's you know, party, you know, it's just like kind of you know, glitz and glamour. And drinking and everything casinos and all that, like New Orleans. Like I've never understood why somebody would prefer going to like a Vegas over in New Orleans if you just want to have like a fun, drinky time with friends, you know, because like New Orleans has you know, Bourbon Street and Frenchman Street and all these incredible places to drink with like history and like this is this is a Lafite's blacksmith shop. It's the oldest running bar in the country. And pirate literal shoot. Pirates used to fucking drink there and it's still lit by candlelight and it's it's just fucking awesome, this old stone ass building. That's it's one of my favorite places on Bourbon Street, and it's just such a great place to walk around and drink. There's this live music everywhere. So I'm not even a big live music guy, but when you're just walking down a street and everyone's having a good time and you just hear just like jazz coming out of different you know, windows and stuff like that, it's such a fun, like kind of partyish atmosphere, which you could do the Bourbon Street thing. I think if you go, you should do one night on Bourbon Street and just see that as like the tourist crazy, like everyone's there and way too drunk and things like that. But then when you go off the beaten path and there's so many fun little things, like Frenchman Street is like Bourbon Street for locals, they say where it's like much more low key, but a ton of cool little places they eat and drink and live music. There's just got like real like culture and the food is fucking incredible there, and everyone just seems kind of have like just real people or it's like, I don't know, Vegas has a certain like slime over it, you know, it's just a little.
Speaker 2: It's the way. Yeah, it's just like I don't know.
Speaker 5: You you go to New Orleans and it's just like, I mean, this is just a lot of real people that are celebrating this cool city that's got a lot of history and doesn't feel like any other city in the country.
Speaker 4: So it does sound like similar to Nashville, but Nashville would be obviously more country music than jazz, and I think I would prefer the jazz.
Speaker 1: Yes, Yeah, I went to Nashville for the first time last year, and I enjoyed it.
Speaker 3: We did.
Speaker 1: We did the one day on Broadway with like all the big garage door country bars, but then we found a few like hole in the wall cocktail spots that were great.
Speaker 4: Did you code switch? Did you put on cowboy boots and a cowboy hat?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Unfortunately I was dressed for a wedding most of the time, okay, at which there were no cowboy boots.
Speaker 2: Sure. I was one of the.
Speaker 1: Most opulent weddings I've ever been to. They rented out like the entire Nashville Symphony Hall.
Speaker 2: Who that's crazy?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was. It was nuts.
Speaker 1: And then of course, like two hours later I was just destroying a fried chicken sandwich.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Good food there, Yeah, both poles. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Ever a place to to spend like three or four days or more, go to New Orleans. It's And did you ever watch Wild on e Yes?
Speaker 4: Okay, look, look we talked about two thousand and two, two thousand and three. Brooke Burke was a thing, and many people, most people, most people didn't watch it. But I think it was like you would see you you would see the commercials for what was the ones where the girls would take their shirts off?
Speaker 2: That was girls Gone wild Girl's Gone Wild, and.
Speaker 4: It's like, Wow, I'm not gonna be able to get them a.
Speaker 5: Teenager classy girls, like basically documentary. It's a documentary about where people happened to be drinking by an ocean and they would do like every other.
Speaker 4: Episode would be in New Orleans, and I'm.
Speaker 5: Like, it looked like a lot of things ONNAK, but hosted by someone who's the opposite of David tel exactly.
Speaker 4: Yes, a carpork, which doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny.
Speaker 5: I'll see like brook Brooks and those like sketchers slip on ads now and every time I see it, I'm just like. She was on Every Dude's Wall in two thousand and two and used.
Speaker 2: A voice of me for Speed Underground Too.
Speaker 4: She won a Spike Video Game Award for her performance in The Sounds That Era.
Speaker 2: Yep, Yep.
Speaker 4: The Steven Soderbergh's wife actually was one of the hosts of that eventually. I can't remember her name, but she wrote like secretly wrote Logan Lucky, which is one of my favorite movies.
Speaker 5: Oh that's the Daniel Craig right, Yes, that movie rules.
Speaker 3: She secretly wrote it.
Speaker 4: Yes, like she she did it under a pen name, and I think it's like Rebecca Blund or something, but that's not her her real name. But she's married to Steven Soderberg and although everyone's like no, she totally helped him write this movie.
Speaker 2: So yeah, pretty interesting.
Speaker 1: Every time I hear Steven Soderbergh, I weirdly get him mixed up with Paul W. S Anderson because both of them have names that I confuse with a better director.
Speaker 4: Well they're wait, no, who's the better director?
Speaker 5: Wait, Paul W. S Is the Mortal Combat and Event Horizon him with Paul.
Speaker 1: Thomas Anderson, who's a better director, And with Spielberg.
Speaker 4: I like both of them for different reasons. Yeah, they're very different. Soberg is kind of amazing better, better movie. I mean, no, okay, so what else did he do? He did that unsane movie, that.
Speaker 2: Ocean. You're trying to argue.
Speaker 1: That Soderberg is better than Spielberg and you can't even remember more than Ocean's eleven and.
Speaker 2: I have a terrible memory.
Speaker 5: All the Oceans. Aaron Brockovich, He's done Magic Mike, out of Sight, with the Jennifer Lopez and George Cloone.
Speaker 4: You definitely watched the catage in ten times during the pandemic, just like.
Speaker 3: Me a way of processing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, cagin is that is there a monkey in contagion?
Speaker 4: You're thinking an outbreak school.
Speaker 2: It's fantastic. Yeah, we did Pleasantville. I've seen pleasant Ville. I say Pleasantville. Okay, there we go. That's the movies, Okay.
Speaker 4: Steve Schielburg's obviously, like like all times, it's not fair to compare anybody.
Speaker 2: It's it's a little unfair. Yeah. Director.
Speaker 5: Last night, Bonk and I watched True Lies and neither of us remembered anything about it. We were like kids when we last saw it, and goddamn of James Cameron. Like we looked at James Cameron's IMDb afterwards.
Speaker 2: I think he's just the best at making movies.
Speaker 5: He only makes the biggest movies ever, Like his fucking whole track record since like the Abyss in eighty seven or whatever. It's like, oh, okay, it's or Terminators before that, Terminator, Terminator to the Abyss, the Avatars, whatever you think from Titan.
Speaker 3: Aliens, Aliens, I should say something Aliens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was.
Speaker 4: He would be like an assistant director and he would do things on sets where it was like, Okay, we have to make this blob of flesh look like it's moving. I'm gonna go get some wire and rip it apart, plug it into the wall, and electrocute it. Will film that and everyone's like, what the fuck is this guy doing? Like no one understood it, and they saw it. It was an incredible shot, and it's like he's just that guy where he can think up anything. He did like all of the concept art for a lot of his early movies. Like he's just the most talented person. And then he makes popcorn flicks, which I just couldn't respect more.
Speaker 5: Well, that's the thing is, Like I remember I was looking up True Lives production and it was the first movie to go over one hundred million dollars on budget, and it wound up making like over four hundred million. And I remember as a kid, I was debscribing to Entertainment Weekly and reading about budgets and box office and everything about Titanic was it's wildly over budget.
Speaker 4: It's a they were stunting on that, and they're like dunking on it constantly. This is going to be a Travis It's gonna be the real life Titanic. This is gonna be the movie version of the actual titan You go to him every time they did with Avatar and Avatar two, and they always make the most.
Speaker 2: And no cultural significance. No one's gonna see the sequel.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the sequel with but I think titic was the one the worst, Like everyone thought it was gonna be the worst, and then it was the number one movie ever. And it's just like I think from that point, I was like, take as long as you need, take as much money as you need. It's gonna be fine. And then they but they still doubted him for Avatar and Avatar too. It's incredible.
Speaker 1: You can't anymore, right, Yeah, the guy build well, the guy builds his own submarines that can go explore the Titanic. Now, I think he's just got one of those like genius engineer minds and like to make it.
Speaker 2: I think like he comes.
Speaker 1: Up obviously I don't know the guy, but he comes up and like he has to make a huge movie. He's like, Okay, this is no different than making this very complex submarine. It's a problem to solve.
Speaker 2: And he's good.
Speaker 4: He's really good at characterization at the same time because he like worked blue cowar jobs growing up and things like that. He was a truck driver when he saw Star Wars and he's like, I gotta quit and go make movies or I'm gonna die.
Speaker 2: Like that's how he felt.
Speaker 4: I'm like, Okay, this is just my guy making the kinds of movies I like.
Speaker 5: Well, and when he was with Catherine Bigelow, he was like executive producer and writing like point Break and Strange Days and Catherine Biglow's awesome shit she was making over there, like god damn, like.
Speaker 2: Toast time, he seems Strange Days.
Speaker 4: Because it was not anywhere years ago, you couldn't stream it for a while, did you like buy the Blu ray or something.
Speaker 5: I think it was streaming when we watched it like a year ago, and it was years ago.
Speaker 2: I was looking for it and I couldn't find it.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 5: It was very good. I had not heard much about it. And I remember it was around the time Phantom Liberty was coming out, the cyberpunk thing, because like the brain dance stuff in cyberpunk is so just what Strange Days is. Yeah, you know, has a lot of that stuff in it. So we watched it around that point and we were both like, holy shit, she's awesome.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, holy shit, I did not know that she did. K nineteen The Widow Maker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and zero thirty one of the better submarine movies.
Speaker 1: Yeap, wait is that it's Oh man, is that the one with the nuclear core? What are you thinking of thee? No nuclear core in the summary is a nuclear subon?
Speaker 4: I never saw that one that I think, Well, K nineteen probably wouldn't because that sounds like a Russian one and I don't know if they'd ever had a nuclear submarine.
Speaker 1: Reactor cool and pipe burst control rods. Yeah, maybe this movie fucked with me.
Speaker 4: Harrison Ford one, Yes, Yeah, was a very good one.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The reactor core like is like melting down and they have to go in in like pairs with protection.
Speaker 3: That's really nice, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The end, they're all just like dying of the worst poisoning you can get in the in like the barracks. And then at the like I forget how many people were in the crew, and you know there's three people alive at the end that go to the ground the cemetery.
Speaker 2: That movie messed with me.
Speaker 1: I saw that way too young, But I was gonna say it's funny that Catherine Bigelow has done stuff like Point Break, but then she kind of took up the mantle as the chronicler of Bush's war, like yeah, that's yeah, or I don't know if Bush.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, she's made some awesome movies.
Speaker 4: We mentioned submarine movies and that set me off. Do you guys have favorite submarine movies?
Speaker 2: I don't think oct Periscope? Down is Periscope? Yeah, okay, that's my favorite one. Actually, that's it's also great. Uh.
Speaker 4: The thing about submarines, especially in nuclear submarines, is they could stay down for at this point years.
Speaker 2: Except for they need food.
Speaker 4: That is the only thing that causes them have to come back to the surface. Now they screw the oxygen. The nuclear reactor can last for years. Everything else is taken care of, so they could stay down to hydroponics farm or something on the submarine.
Speaker 5: Now like popcorn, because that's tiny, and then it gets bigger.
Speaker 4: They probably are coming up with a lot of solutions, but amount of calories.
Speaker 3: I'm call up the Secretary of State.
Speaker 4: I got therecorn, it's lit on and it gets bigger. You never in a billion tubs have you ever bought a tub of popcorn here that they're for, Like, wow, I feel full in binger for four years, I lived up energy.
Speaker 2: Jed, let's go drive a nuclear sub right now.
Speaker 3: Let's go Missile Moscow. I'm ready to go.
Speaker 4: I think it probably goes It probably goes Dot's Boot and then I really like Hunt for the Right October. But I think it's probably Crimson Tides number two. Have you guys ever seen Crimson recently? And I didn't really get it? Really be so good?
Speaker 6: Atlantis The Lost Empire or disneyse twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea.
Speaker 3: Oh Atlantis, I really really?
Speaker 2: They liked, Yeah, that's actually a good movie. Does Spear count? I love Sphere?
Speaker 4: Sure, I'll give you spear all right. Spear is my favorite. It's like the sphere where all the body organs are going. You guys talked about.
Speaker 5: No Spear, No Spear is Michael Crichton about the alien sphere underwater.
Speaker 2: It's really fun. I think the abyss also counts.
Speaker 4: While it's you know there, yes, yes, and that's like all that underwater stuff. There are obviously somemarines in there, but it's about a submersible drilling rig and stuff like that.
Speaker 5: I need like a wacky alien thing going on or a weird goo monster like abyss or sphere, like I need something beyond just like it's underwater.
Speaker 4: What if they were spaceships instead, and they were kind of had like dealing with the same things with.
Speaker 2: Their aliens trying to kill them.
Speaker 4: What if it's just other humans in spaceships. Why are the spaceships in the ocean? No, No, what if they're in space instead, like because like a space.
Speaker 3: Like spaceships in a hostile environment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's okay, So I think it may have.
Speaker 2: Just alien Yeah. I love these.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but those space ships are basically just the same things as submarine.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but there's like fun fiction. It's not just like politics and military.
Speaker 2: You know, I promise you most of the things he'd submarine movies are fiction. I think a real accurate Submary movie would be very boring.
Speaker 5: Yeah, raised on like Cold War intrigue, and I don't really know anything about that.
Speaker 4: Like, okay, I've got metal gear.
Speaker 2: I'm fine.
Speaker 1: Was the Cold War when they opened that portal to Hell and then they started out just like.
Speaker 4: I can tell you about the quack talking about Joseph McCarthy and Hugh ac and fucking all that ship.
Speaker 2: I could go into the Cold War.
Speaker 3: I know you just said they have pigs.
Speaker 4: Shake Guavara, Which is this stuff you're pulling from, like the clips in metal gear?
Speaker 2: Like where's this coming from?
Speaker 5: I listened to Rage Against the Machine a lot in high school and read some like Shag Guavara books, and uh, yeah, listen, I listened to a lot of Rage the Machine. Sure I need to start reading the Communist Manifesto. I'm gonna go to this. I'm gonna spend my Saturday nights.
Speaker 4: In high school at Borders reading you got you gotta read us capital instead.
Speaker 2: Sure, we're gonna get you a lot further.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I remember there was that I forget who it was. That political uh megaphone of a human I forget it was saying like Tom Morello had tweeted something. Uh, and then he said, like, go back to writing music. You don't need to be political, was it?
Speaker 4: H It was like Tucker Carlson, Tucker Carlson, Yeah, we're going to be happy to talk of.
Speaker 1: Their songs are about how how fucked up Vietnam was Agent of Orange, Yeah, Priest of Hiroshima.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: They who is the Romney's running mate was a Paul Ryan that like the guy with the goofy like weightlifting pictures.
Speaker 2: Paul Ryan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was like a huge rate. He's like, what's your lifting music? And he's like, I love Rage.
Speaker 5: Against the machines like you yeah, this guy. Sorry, I'm getting political again.
Speaker 3: Yea born in the USA for his campaign.
Speaker 4: Sure, yes, I just saw a video of Rachegan's machine like in like in somewhere like two thousand and nine. They made one of their songs number one in the UK because fans didn't want the X Factor guy to like win the number one. It was killing the name of Yes, and it's that they use. Whoever has number one gets to perform on the BBC for like a Christmas.
Speaker 2: Special and they're like, please just don't swear.
Speaker 4: And then he's like, oh, I won't do what you tell me, and he's not and he's I won't do what you tell me, and then he just turns to the camera and flicks it off and just goes fuck you, I won't do what you tell me, like twenty times.
Speaker 5: It rules. It's so great. They also got kicked off SNL like back in the Early.
Speaker 4: Night and the guy climbed on the VMA like statues and stuff now to celebrate that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but days and no movie gonna be good. I saw the trailer for that before.
Speaker 5: Probably it's got a like a focus at least on like, oh, it's just like the minutes leading up to the first broadcast. I normally don't like that like kind of biopic or like, uh, dramatization type stuff. But like if it's just like, hey, here's like the ninety minutes before the first show went on the air, that's a little more roading. It's a good question. What's it called? Is it Saturday Night.
Speaker 1: Seven minutes to air? Seven minutes to air or something? Are twenty Saturday Night said, I'm thinking of that. What I'm thinking of that documentary are my mistake by H J.
Speaker 4: Ramon.
Speaker 1: Okay, what else did Jason Raymond do? Besides he did Up in the Air right, Oh.
Speaker 4: That was Ghostbusters Afterlife. So he's not the good like a Nepo's son. There's the one that did what's the Jungle Book? Not Jungle Book Jumanji. Those new Jumanji movies is done by Nepo. Baby, those are really good. Jason Raymond did Ghostbusters Afterlife, and I don't think he's very good.
Speaker 5: Jason Raymond did thank you for smoking, which I remember being pretty good, you know, which looked bad.
Speaker 2: Up in the Air I liked, you know, in the Air is okay? I like up in the air. Up in the Air is good. Yeah. It looks like he works with a lot.
Speaker 4: Yes, I think George Clooney does a lot of the heavy lifting on up in the Air.
Speaker 2: Okay. Wow. Yeah.
Speaker 1: George Clooney's counterpart in that movie is the psychiatrist from the Department.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's Italian? Am I figuring it out? You're getting it, dude, I'm I'm proud.
Speaker 2: Well done? Are you?
Speaker 6: Has Dan been learning to like, oh my god, this exists on the other timeline. Yeah, Dan was like, uh, surprised to find out that I, Mike Minatti am Italian and his friend Vinnie Caravella was Italian.
Speaker 2: That was surprise Italian. It's nice. I'll say it again.
Speaker 5: It's not that I didn't know, it's just that I never thought about it.
Speaker 3: Dan doesn't see color, guys.
Speaker 1: He tells us this all the time, and that includes that includes last names.
Speaker 3: But like, my last name is pretty obvious, where.
Speaker 5: I would not agree only because I know your family and I've heard you talk about being Irish a bunch like, I know you're Irish.
Speaker 4: I gotta I got even with someone who definitely has like a lot of Scottish heritage. I conflate Scottish and Irish quite frust Yeah. Yeah, I just got to remember that screwsged Big Duck is Scottish. Shamous is Irish, Yeah, Shamus is Irish. McIntyre is.
Speaker 5: We're normally I can Finally we're over the fifty percent wrestling where I could talk wrestling on fires game and hope people.
Speaker 4: A probably congratulations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Finley was I Finley was my favorite Irish wrestler. Finley.
Speaker 6: Look, if you're holding a chilele, you're Irish. Yeah, I should get a Chile.
Speaker 4: I don't know if I could pick a Chile out of a police lineup. I don't know what two thousand like.
Speaker 1: They look like a the handle is curved, but they look like a cricket club.
Speaker 5: Oh, you don't have to tell me. I've seen them determine the ending of many matches. I just didn't know if you do.
Speaker 2: It's just the top part of a cave.
Speaker 1: Basically, my grandpa doesn't have like four of them mountainized wall between a bunch of other.
Speaker 4: Did he hit you with them?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: This is this is the venue where I would admit that my grandpa.
Speaker 2: Abused me dog holding or is it like he is a cane? No, that's a isn't just a cane. It's just a cane. Okay. I think Chile's are Irish, definitely Irish yet s h I L.
Speaker 4: L wait wait wait wait wait no, no, damn Dan, you wouldn't get this in a fucking spelling bee because that sounds like a proper now and there's no way Shi Lee would be not a proper nown.
Speaker 3: It's Irish or Irish Gaelic.
Speaker 5: And I will go into this thinking I'm going to get it wrong, and I never think.
Speaker 3: Okay, Gaelic Gaelic is very hard, but.
Speaker 4: It is very difficult. That's why I'm no. Okay. Already I knew I was gonna be fucked on that one. Yeah, s H I L L E L A g h Oh, there's no fucking way. I only learned this because I tried to google it and I spelled it very wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at this picture of Lay's there's a Dan. Have you been to swift here in the East Village, the Irish pub.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you've taken me there.
Speaker 1: Problem, yeah, a bunch of it's they've got a bunch of street signs from Ireland behind the bar. And like my middle name, half of my family's middle names are like our Gaelic.
Speaker 2: It makes no sense to me, but I tried to signs. It's like Irish.
Speaker 4: Irish, the Irish language basically okay, they're Scottish Gapelic as well.
Speaker 1: They're sort of similar but also very different. But yeah, it's it's so hard for me to read, I think for most people. But the street signs. I asked the bartender, I'm like, am I close? He's like, no, none at all.
Speaker 4: Dan, Why do you think people in Ireland and Scotland speak English? Because they're close to England That's part of it, that's not.
Speaker 5: But why would be close to England maybe be a problem? Did England own them and force them to learn English?
Speaker 2: Own is? Yeah?
Speaker 4: The way they like didn't like one own Canada? Yeah, I mean I did at one point. Like it's now part of the they have the Queen on their money, commonwealth, Yeah right, it's part of the Commonala thank you. Yes, they treated Ireland and Scotland very poorly.
Speaker 2: Woke up.
Speaker 4: Have you seen the MELI like.
Speaker 5: You were alive from Wait? Are they affiliated now?
Speaker 1: No, Ireland's not part of the UK anymore. Sorry, Northern Ireland's part of the UK because Ireland the troubles in the nineties, like not just the nineties came to a head. That's called the Troubles. It's a very eerie name. But Catholics and Protestants in Ireland were divided because many of the Protestants, largely from Northern Ireland, were loyal.
Speaker 2: To the crown. Uh.
Speaker 1: And then you know, the Republic of Ireland was largely Catholic and wanted to not be under their thumb. And it caused a whole lot of ship and terrorism both sides.
Speaker 2: Terrorism.
Speaker 1: Both sides were like to be clear, it wasn't like good and bad, but both sides were being uh bombs.
Speaker 5: No, I know enough of this because I know there was a drink that was very popular.
Speaker 1: You get in this context you can say the Irish car bomb came from then it's you wouldn't order an Irish car bomb, right, we.
Speaker 4: Should say, if you're from Ireland and you want to make fun of nine, then we give you permisison cause we're gonna talk about Irish car bombs for a second, so just go have your fun.
Speaker 5: Like that relates to some historical thing I don't know about, but I'm just not going to say it.
Speaker 2: No, no, yeah, it's definitely don't say it in Ireland.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, no, it's it's not. I'm just saying like, but you can, like in the context we're talking about. Yes, the the name of however very distasteful it is.
Speaker 4: It came from came from the little terists. Yes, you should never drinks after terrorism. If I went into a bar and it's something called the Oklahoma City bomb, I would order it.
Speaker 2: It's kind of you just call it like the McVeigh. I think.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's pretty good too. Yeah drink.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I'm glad you're catching on to people's last names. Well maybe it's not really Maybe better you're not just assuming people like reading their last thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you still have to be careful.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it just it's not that I have a strategy for this. It's just it doesn't ever. I don't ever think about it. It's just like I don't know all we were all Belgian grown up and no one never made it. Somebody to be like, oh, record must be this or that, and like, I don't know if it was just.
Speaker 4: Some of them are just easier than as I think generally, picking out Italian names is considered probably easy mode of identifying people's heritage, basically right.
Speaker 2: And going into my head.
Speaker 5: I think if you had told me months ago, like what do you think Manati is, you know, I would probably say it.
Speaker 2: I'd get there, but I had never thought of it before.
Speaker 1: You know, I grew up well, Syracuse was largely Italian and Irish and some Ukrainian, so like we grew up with very all my friends mainly growing up were of Italian descent, so it was easy to pick that out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, same for me in a twenty four mile north of Detroit. It was huge Italian culture in Albanian yep.
Speaker 6: I think it's of Italians in Northeast Ohio, including me. I think where I grew up just had no identity. What's like the suburbs of Kansas City was like, I don't know, I'm half German, half Belgian, and like I didn't know what any of my friends where. I never heard any of my friends talk about their heritage or anything.
Speaker 5: We're all Catholic. Everyone was just Catholic, that's all I know.
Speaker 6: They had to do like we had like heritage week in like middle school. We all had to do like a book report on like one of our parents, like where they came from, things like that.
Speaker 4: If everyone was Catholic, though they were probably quite a few Irish and Italian.
Speaker 5: If that was the police, it just probably never come up.
Speaker 4: Sure, yeah, that's actually the probably the most default scenario. Yeah, or Polish, Yeah yeah, most most It probably just wouldn't come up in the suburbs of America really, sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that was our that's the politics section I mentioned. I think, yeah, we did it. Think we're three any history. Well, so we'll see in the emails next week how many people we pissed off.
Speaker 2: Most of them we won't be here. That's your problem.
Speaker 1: In Irish passport, so that I could be like, oh I can I can talk about this stuff.
Speaker 2: I'm Irish now there you go. I heard I could do that with Italy. Also, they just opened Italy just opened it up to great grandchildren. I believe now I'm just grandchildren.
Speaker 3: Ireland and Italy are now at least grandchildren children.
Speaker 4: I don't know if I'd like that. I like how I immediately him gate keeping.
Speaker 2: One of the people. Where was Grana from Rome really adopted adopted in room? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Uh, fought in World War two or the Italians, big Mussolini guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Shortly after that, came to America. Yep. How would that transition go?
Speaker 6: I wonder pretty I mean, I think he liked it much better here. You know example, like I said, you know, there were there are a ton of Italians. He had some family that was already here, but it was pretty easy, and steel mills were very plentiful in this area, so it's very easy to just get a well paying job in the steel mills almost immediately.
Speaker 2: And then from that he started huge Italian culture in that area. Yes, did he go through New York?
Speaker 6: Yeah, he went on through and then straight to Ohio because he had family and friends there. Straight to Ohio because he already had some people here that he knew, right exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my grandpa did a transition.
Speaker 1: My grandpa Ellis Island was closed for like one of the few times it had for whatever reason, So he went through Brooklyn, per A and he hung out here for a bit and worked on he worked construction, and then he eventually went at to Syracuse with my grandma after they had they had they had met and then went to this like Irish heritage dance in Brooklyn, and then like she told him at the dance that she was moving up to a place called Syracuse, and then like a week later they decided to go together, and then they got I had eleven kids.
Speaker 2: Oh man, very sweet. Now we're all getting Irish citizenship. Ireland doesn't know what's coming. Very bad move.
Speaker 4: That upstate New York vibes that upstate New York, I guess I never really know it.
Speaker 3: Yes, central New York.
Speaker 1: But if you're like in New York City and you say upstate, most people think you mean like Westchester Yonkers. But I'm way upstate, not quite Messina or Plattsburgh, but I'm central. It's like literally in the center. However, center you can be in a weird shaped state.
Speaker 4: How far are you from Binghampton, a nor How far are you two hours north? How about Utica? An hour west of Utica?
Speaker 2: Holiday Valley? I don't know it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a ski resort in state of New York that I really like what Melan. I don't have no idea. I just got I've got put on a bus and we went there. I had no ideas and probably.
Speaker 6: Must have been wait, wait a second, what It would be pretty good content for something. Dan and I went skiing for the first thing I've always wanted to.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, yes you could just come in here. They're skiing all around me.
Speaker 1: Here's have you guys noticed this? Maybe or maybe you all do this? I love any time any kind of trip comes up, Dan immediately just tries to make it happen in Minneapolis.
Speaker 5: Every other country this whole summer. I just want to stay in Minnesota for I don't want to stay a different continent by myself when this episode goes up that doesn't speak well.
Speaker 2: I have to travel and go by myself wide the subway. Yeah, I have panic tags on every fucking plight. It's it's stressful. I have not ever played.
Speaker 5: It's actually got a lot better, but it's still it's I want to have a weekend at home just sitting on a couch.
Speaker 2: I know I do too.
Speaker 4: I have the best scaling skiing in Minneapolis, and see if it's actually any good?
Speaker 1: I see, I see like neighborhoods in Minnesota that just have ski jumps on the.
Speaker 2: Side of the road. Yeah, yeah, I've seen that. It's very very street.
Speaker 5: That's kind of it's just our first time. We're not gonna be double.
Speaker 2: Back, I know.
Speaker 4: I promise you. It's much easier to learn off the Bunny hill. You don't you don't you want you want to go on the blue easiest one, but you actually want to because the Plnny Hill it's so hard to like get momentum. You have to actually just get going a little. But here's what the French Fries. We need the Yeah, I've seen that South Park.
Speaker 5: We would need Jan to film it, and I cannot even picture Jan Achola.
Speaker 2: It's snowy skiing situation.
Speaker 4: I would film it because I'm pretty competent on the on the snowboard and stuff like that. Three sixty cams, I got the go pros, I got all that ship.
Speaker 2: So yeah, okay. I did break a girl's arm once that I was very excited.
Speaker 6: To go just like uh, you know, like skating and like a skate rink recently, and I immediately broke my wrists.
Speaker 4: She stopped in front of me and she fell and we were like flirting, and then she fell right in front of me and I stopped as hard as I could, but my snowboard went right over her arm and basically snapped her forearm and half.
Speaker 2: It was terrible. Is that that's right? Wow? Hastas and heeled that for. I don't know if you broke her arm. I think it was kind of.
Speaker 4: I just take responsibility. I was skating too close. I should not have been doing that. But you know, what about what is the alternative here?
Speaker 2: Bike?
Speaker 4: I say she was asking for it.
Speaker 1: No, Wow, I grew up snowboarding, but I've been wanting to try skiing for a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've never really skied. I've only snowboarded.
Speaker 4: But I like snowboarding a lot, so I don't think I'm gonna mess with snowboard. I think that's fine, probably the way to go.
Speaker 2: Like, we can do that. You guys get the skis. That'd be fun.
Speaker 6: You could do you can recreate the Flanders Homer things like I'm wearing nothing at all.
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 1: Let's do a skia though, everybody, you all come here and we'll ski around here.
Speaker 2: Yeah Hoboken lifts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would have go Okay, I like it.
Speaker 2: I don't like it.
Speaker 4: Electoville, Ellicottvilleville, Ellicottville, New York is where Holiday Valley is, I know, Okay, yeah.
Speaker 3: It's a problem assuming somewhere like Southern Catskills.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Southern cats Skills. Yeah, what are these dames?
Speaker 3: Guys?
Speaker 2: Mount mountains? It is cool.
Speaker 4: Actually, it's looks like it's due south of Buffalo. Is that Catskills?
Speaker 1: I know that that's.
Speaker 2: Semi close to sir. Buffalo is two hours west.
Speaker 4: Of It looks like forty five minutes north of the eighty six Yeah eighty six.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just south of Buffalo, not just south. But yeah, I don't know. That place was great though.
Speaker 4: I had a really long trail that you could ski down for like twenty minutes, and that's what I really like.
Speaker 5: Let's do that or just all get drunk in New Orleans. Yeah, let's go both. They both sound fun. Yes, sure do.
Speaker 1: The classic Holiday Valley Chicago New Orleans trip that everybody had.
Speaker 4: That sounds like a good time. Yeah, bang bang bang.
Speaker 3: You guys want to talk about video games?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 3: Do you ever play Rugrats in Paris on n sixty four?
Speaker 2: No? No, it was like the first Rugrats game.
Speaker 1: So I don't recall this in the movie, but the whole game you're in a theme park in Paris and it's a movie that is they repitar Land. It's like a a mini open world, reptile Land, and then you're going around to the different like mini games. Is this the podcast the game of the week and I still have it? It's the black cartridge there was, but after a while we realized there were only like two good mini games, one of which was like Putt Putt?
Speaker 2: Are Mike that?
Speaker 5: Or Our Marines on the n sixty four?
Speaker 3: Oh god, our Marines over anything modern?
Speaker 4: Do you really shoot like ar Marines?
Speaker 2: Because I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's it's a nostalgia thing.
Speaker 4: It's not okay, okay, I totally get feelings for it. Oh that's fine, I get that. No, no, no, yes, I still love that game. I have fine feelings for it.
Speaker 1: But it's like, looking back, Dan, you were playing it recently. I think when I.
Speaker 5: Visited just No I, I had you over and I had the ever Drive on the CRT and I was like, hey, name of sixty four Game of Love and you're like Our Marines, like right away, oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, it had like the worst straw distance of any game on the N sixty four something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Alien's coming from like.
Speaker 4: It was that every shooter ranked on N sixty four, it was like the second worst one on that list.
Speaker 2: Mike of that weird weird guy that did ut. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was also I remember the controls. I mean it was an N sixty four controller. They're trying to do a shooter, first person shooter, and it wasn't GoldenEye. I mean it was like you had to move left and right with the joystick, but then go forward and backwards with.
Speaker 2: The sea buttons.
Speaker 5: I don't know, it was gold Strafe with sea left and right, you look up and down with ceps down, and then like the center stick was kind of just like look around.
Speaker 2: It was all funny.
Speaker 1: You could also hold are and do the joystick to look up and down. But yeah you did that maybe the yes to your point just like lift it and I still to this day I'm inverted on my left hand. Sixty four games, yeah, because it made sense because it's like it was like a stick halfway through the screen that I was tilting. But then Halo came along, and even Halo's original controls combat evolves were weird until they made the what we now know as first person look and walk. They had like some weird left and right stuff as well. Yeah, anyway, speaking of speaking, there's no real uh seguela.
Speaker 4: Nothing you can do here on the podcast.
Speaker 1: We've been there.
Speaker 5: We come in with the game stuff. They all rugrats and all that stuff.
Speaker 2: That's what we came in. I like it. I like it. I like it.
Speaker 5: Before you say anything, Mike, I am curious here because this is not really a genre. I hear you liking a ton You're on a podcast with three guys that are in love with this game. I don't think i've heard anyone be anything less than just raving glowing ear, and to be fair, I have not heard you say anything about this game.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, Party is a huge Xbox fan boy, so I expect him to come in here and be very skeptical.
Speaker 2: Yes, saying is that.
Speaker 4: We're all going to beat the ship out of you.
Speaker 3: I hate that Master Chiefs not in it.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 1: I love three platformers. They definitely do not loom as large in my life as you are. Like Tim Turry, I've played every three D Mario Odyssey. I think is one of like the best games. I think the only Mario three D platform that beats is Galaxy one or two.
Speaker 2: I like more.
Speaker 1: It's like Galaxy, and I also have a soft spot like Banjo, Kazoo and Twoe I talk about a lot, but those I don't talk about for the platforming. I talk about those just more like collected on weird, crazy designed. Yeah, I think Astrobot's very good. I think it's an extremely well crafted game. It feels more to me like a theme park, and I mean that as a compliment. It's kind of you know, I I think it does gimmicks in a good way, like dance. To your point, you were mentioning that it's doing some I don't even know what you want to call them pickups that I haven't seen, like power ups, power ups, the like items and whatnot.
Speaker 5: The frog gauntlets, And.
Speaker 1: I have some annoyances with it, however, and maybe it's just because I'm like, I don't know this. So towards the end of some of the some of the stages, you can find those secret Galaxy flags. Is there a way to unlock those without then going back.
Speaker 4: To the screen secret it's a secret exit like Super Mario World or.
Speaker 1: Something, So maybe I'm trying to. I guess I'm asking if I'm getting frustrated for no reason. So I'll find those and be like, well, I want to finish the stage, so then I'm going to go back to the normal exit, and then I have to go back. Not that I'm not enjoying replaying these stages, but sometimes I'm like, I want to go see what the next stage is, but I was like, I got to replay it, so then I can go take the normal exit.
Speaker 4: Are you as you're playing the level, You're you're collecting everything first time I.
Speaker 2: Bought, I go back, I'm hundred percent so far.
Speaker 5: Then it's easy because you go back into a level, and if you are not scouring every area of the bot and just those levels can go pretty quick through them, and.
Speaker 4: It's fun to like see how fast you can do it. Actually like that, just you got to like make your.
Speaker 1: Own Oh yeah, and Jeff, you're faster at this game than anybody then, yes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm glad you're historically accurate on that. Yes, I'm Jeff.
Speaker 1: It's one of those It's one of those games that I like respect it more than I really enjoy it because it's extremely well crafted. I'm I'm impressed by it, but it's I'm not like, I'm not jumping out of my seat while I play it, And that could be due to the fact that three D platforms, yeah, are not the thing that like, yeah, governs most of my taste. But no, I'm it's a very joyful game. I'm it feels like they had a lot of fun designing it, which is the mark of a good game to me. I think you can kind of just feel the passion. Yeah, really well crafted it. It does feel like.
Speaker 2: A like a very fine tune theme park, though, you.
Speaker 6: Like like collecting all the bots and being like, oh wow, this person from that game, and I think this person.
Speaker 2: Would be here. I have.
Speaker 1: I have some fondness for PlayStation characters for sure, Dan, who was the character? Is it a spoiler if you tell me you said there was one that you.
Speaker 5: Were I'll just everyone mute right now for like fifteen seconds if you don't want to know.
Speaker 3: Wait, can you wait? What stage are they in?
Speaker 2: Oh? Remember that now?
Speaker 3: It was kind of it was like.
Speaker 2: Incredible Crisis is the mister Brisquito?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Okay, Incredible Crisis one was so insane. What's the messed up businessman or something?
Speaker 6: A stressed warrior wear game that's maybe even crazier in some ways, it's just about a Japanese family, like we have to have we have to.
Speaker 2: Have you played to Jeff because I know I'm going to pitch game.
Speaker 5: I shall never heard anyone bring up outside of me of their own accord. It's always like me being like playing this, check this weird thing out, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is way past the time Dan told them to mute.
Speaker 2: Seconds. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The boss fights are incredibly well done.
Speaker 2: I ah, they're fun and I.
Speaker 3: Love it's I don't know it's their use of space on those.
Speaker 4: They never do more than two phases, but and it's like still always three hits, and that third hit is sometimes like, all right, now you're gonna do an awesome platforming stage in the middle of this boss fight, and you'll get the end, and then we'll give you the funnest third hit you've ever had.
Speaker 2: I've only seen two of them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, octopus his eyeballs and fucking long myself into him.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, the first one, it's like it's like to finally finish off the gorilla, you're just launching into his throat, basically like big.
Speaker 4: He's got a big symbol in his throat that is the symbol of the power up you have. And he never asked why anyone installed that there. It's great, yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Also just I mean it rivals Nintendo for it's like nonverbal how it teaches you those things like you just mentioned. It's got the same symbol and throw. It's it's incredible game design. Again, like I I really don't have many qualms with it, but it's definitely not like one of the best games I've ever played.
Speaker 2: That's fair.
Speaker 5: Like I don't expect everyone to feel the same as I do with every game where Matt you but yeah no, but it's like I mean, years ago, when I oppress you and pretended I loved it.
Speaker 2: Games to acknowledge.
Speaker 5: I think if you came out here and said like, this is a shooty game, which I'm sure there are people saying it, then I'd think, like, Okay, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. But it's just like it's not really your thing as much as his mind. So like everything he said is correct. What a mana walks by and like sees some of the stages. She's like, I can't help but stop and like, watch the dessert world is awesome. What was the one after that that? I really like, the sponge one. I don't know if you got the sponge Striking World.
Speaker 2: Yeah, shrinking World's great.
Speaker 1: I also really appreciate how often it is switching up, Like I I thought the ape escape thing would be annoying chasing them down, but I like how they I like. I like how they change up the structure. It wasn't just a linear A to B two C thing.
Speaker 5: It was an escape level. Here they will continue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, here they all are in.
Speaker 3: There's been a few of those.
Speaker 1: But it's like, oh, this is great because they're actually toying with the like objective.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 5: I literally like when I got the net, I went into apiscape mode and was using the right analog stick to like play it like ap Escape. It's like, oh, wait, this isn't actually shoot ap escape here, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really good game. One of my favorites of the year for sure. I don't think it's like changing my life though, that's what.
Speaker 2: I do think this is going to be.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: I think it's going to be a pretty safe game of the year at a lot of outlets. Uh, come game of the Year time. I think I'm going to have to fight together as high as I can here. But like I don't really hear Mary or Jake, you know, Like I don't know. I don't know if it makes Fire Escapes game of the Year, you know, because I think I'm the one big soapbox guy for it.
Speaker 3: Do you think this is a shoe in for a lot of outlets Astrobot?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's got a ninety five on Open.
Speaker 2: Critic or something.
Speaker 5: I will eat the biggest hat you've ever found if it's not Giant Bombs and min Max's and a bunch of other places.
Speaker 6: I wonder how it's going to do at the Game Awards because nominated hard to say. I think it has a good shot. It would be without it not a gimme.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I I I have other games I've enjoyed more than it, for sure.
Speaker 2: But what what? What are your favorite games this year?
Speaker 3: Another one we're talking about tonight, Wild Bastards.
Speaker 2: I you love it that much? Wow? Fell in love with it?
Speaker 3: What else this year was Bilatro.
Speaker 5: Prince of Persia lost crown.
Speaker 4: That was great?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 4: You guys, you guys started DLC for that. It came out this week. The Distory DLC is out this week. The review should be hitting.
Speaker 6: I think soon you know, none of you fire Escapers are Final Fantasy people. I get very upset every us.
Speaker 1: Three of us three are I'm the most I'd say, I still have you have to play Rebirth. But every time I like, I told, I tell Jake this, and like, I still have to play Rebirth, He's like, you're not going to play it.
Speaker 2: You don't need to.
Speaker 1: But he's he's not saying that out of disrespect to Final Fantasy. I think he just knows that my tolerance for like open world stuff, for open world stuff's sake and these days.
Speaker 2: But I do want to.
Speaker 6: I love remake, so I want to it hit with me real like it probably was my game of the year and til Astro but it might you know, who knows how I feel at the end of it.
Speaker 2: But uh, and I'll tell you what. That's the one.
Speaker 6: You know, the PlayStation five Pro and all that stuff. It's mostly unappealing, but when they show.
Speaker 4: That game, it looks videos that's the one that's like, that game does look just a lot better on the place you should play pro.
Speaker 1: I don't want to put words in Jake or Mary's mouth. Dan, I think right now as a group, I could be way off and we'll see. I hope I'm off because I don't want to actually active, like correctly predict it. Right now, I think Balatro is probably the front runner.
Speaker 5: That's yeah, if it's not as I would for the record.
Speaker 2: Every single anything Russia.
Speaker 1: Zelda, Yeah, it was almost at the end. You and Mary tried pulling the rug out from under us and making it Pickman.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 1: I was rooting for pick but I was too The execution of the switch left a lot to be desired.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Grob had a good baby face turn on Pickman during ours.
Speaker 2: He went up to the make up.
Speaker 4: Into the last And I think, right now, when I think about the best game I played last year, Pickman four, I think.
Speaker 2: Is it you know what resident evil for?
Speaker 5: But sure, Tiers the Kingdom comes up, and I think I have I was talking to a lot of people in Portland about and Zelda and stuff that was coming up a lot, and we were talking about Tears the Kingdom and I think I have finally enough time has passed where it's like there's that question that came up a lot of like, oh, it's Breath the Wild better Tiers the Kingdom. I do think I can confidently say now that I think I like Breath of the Wild more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it changed everything basically for open worlds.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and even though there's there's things that Tears the Kingdom like it, it does all of that and more. There is just something to be said about that first time, Like that first time I played Breath the Wild, there's no way you could replicate that by just like adding more to it the.
Speaker 2: Next time as cool as well.
Speaker 1: Yes, I also think Breath of the Wild is a much more focused experience, which is crazy to say when it's that big.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I love my time with Tears of the Kingdom going.
Speaker 4: I did everything I could underground, most of the stuff you can do in all the other biomes, and like the bullshit they put in there is my kind of bullshit. But here's some just chain physics puzzles. You like that ship like, yes, give me more of that. Yeah, But Breath of the Wild is a singular experienced.
Speaker 2: Me cry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you guys talk about how big three platformers are in your like general taste map, I don't know what you want to call it emergent there immersive. So for them to put immersive sim elements into Breath of the wilds, like what more news.
Speaker 2: About it goes to wisdom by the way, that's that's an immersive soul. Yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't wait for that. That that I mean that who knows where that jumps up if it's if I like it, maybe I.
Speaker 4: Don't, but we'll talk about that next episode probably, Yeah, got it soon.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's crazy. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, overall, I like it's also I think it's an easy game to argue for, Like it's there's so many things it does really well.
Speaker 4: Wait, it does everything right, right, I mean, even if it's not everyone's cup of tea necessarily, the way that they set up the levels, the way that they have all the extras, the fact that everything between all the connective tissue is like here is a fun little thing to mess with. It's not part of the objectives, it's not part of the extras. It's just a bunch of sprinkles, a bunch of it's the zero G level and you're running through and now you hit the stars and now this time instead of them just falling to the ground, they're gonna start floating off into space, and just being so playful in every single second, like every five steps is just at the sign of a really confident development group that really knew what they were doing.
Speaker 2: It's hard not to respect that.
Speaker 3: It's one of the most imaginative games I've played in a long time.
Speaker 2: That is what makes it like most like the Galaxy games.
Speaker 4: It's like, oh, they just wrote down every idea they had and they took the top ten percent of the best of those ideas and made a game using those ideas, and it's.
Speaker 2: Incredible that love the Cloud Mario Power yep.
Speaker 1: I would love to see like the deleted levels, the cutting room floor in this game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 5: For the record, earlier, Mike, you said that, oh, you've played games better than Astrobot, and I agreed, but I didn't realize you were talking about this year. So for the record, it is I have not played a game this year that I find better than Master. And for the record, I'm Team Tiers of the Kingdom. Just wanted to say thank you, appreciate it. That's completely reasonable credit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we give you. Yeah, we're cool.
Speaker 4: Cool.
Speaker 1: My My favorite thing about fire Escape Game of the Year is I think it's just a known thing that at a certain point the argument it matters, Like the argument becomes the key thing. And at a certain point, I think one of us always need there's always someone in the group that calms down. Is like, Okay, wait a minute, I actually think, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, you've been drinking for eight straight hours and we're exhausted by that point and maybe have broken limbs as in the last year.
Speaker 2: How how's maybe gonna hurt you this year? Well, this is still pretty broken. She's sending me some she's brainstorming.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be a much more emotional damage this year.
Speaker 2: Look for Assassin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you do you have any additional thoughts asked about that? You didn't say last episode.
Speaker 5: I think for me and Grubbs super Platinum, did we think Minati didn't like it enough?
Speaker 2: I guess to the diet, those four extra bots you're talking about aren't even in this game. You have to play.
Speaker 4: The number goes up to three five in the game. Oh I'm Jeff, I'm like stage capitalism. I only care about the number going up.
Speaker 5: Political Mike, here we go. No populated in your fucking crash site. They are in the game, like they are absolutely part of that game.
Speaker 2: Oh they or whatever it is, there's four. Yeah, we won't spoil it. Yeah, gotcha, they're all master chief.
Speaker 1: Yeah as great? Uh okay, I'm sure have we all played Wild Bastards or Mike? Did you?
Speaker 2: I played? I played?
Speaker 4: I started it tonight and I played about an hour and a half and actually, can I start?
Speaker 1: Because serious because I've heard divisive things on this game. And I was talking to Mac Getz, who I work with, and he was telling me I didn't realize the game was this and that it's like, oh, this is really weird. So I'm curious, where are you at, sister ninety minutes and I'm on my third playthrough.
Speaker 4: Right, so I did my first to a game over basically, so that's where I'm at. So I'm kind of just beginning to piece together how the loop feels to me. Like Dan did a good job describing it, so understand I knew what to expect going in, and I'm like, what do I care about when I'm playing this? And I think I was the initial sort of Pepsi challenge reaction was there's not much to these combat scenarios, so I'm going in there and I'm they're kind of arenas and I'm going I'm shooting some dudes, So what's what's happening here? And it's like, well, let me just keep playing and push through that. And then once I realized like a lot of the game here is caring about what happens in between those sections and improving the characters and figuring out like your way through the maps and the nodes on the map like a rogue light, and and sort of like beginning to piece together the upgrades you get, and then getting the permanent upgrade of the aces and the infamy. And once I started like really caring about that stuff, it made those combat scenarios even better and more fun because they don't they don't take up a lot of time. You're going to go in there and you get to play around with all the new stuff you got and you get the like you get, for example, a permanent upgrade that causes your jump to be like way higher, and it's like, oh, I really feel the difference there, So my character build feels very different. I think for me, the gold touchstone here for this genre is going to always is now always going to be Hades, and Hades' thing is every run can feel so different. Your character builds can get so bespoke that every run feels special, even if it's not the best. Like most overpowered build, you begin to like learn to love it because you're you're beginning to learn it's it's its variabilities. And I was say, Okay, I could see that beginning to happen here a little bit, and I'm glad that it's not like, oh, five percent improvement to your shot. It's like, no, you're gonna get a permanent ten hit point upgrade to your shot, and then you're going to get these add ons you can get that can make you feel very different.
Speaker 2: Okay, and it's hard to click for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, uh before I forget two things of some of the aces, especially later in the playthrough, they don't just like make something a current mechanic noticeably different. It'll be like, oh, now your dynamites blow up into a bunch of other smaller dynamites and like secondary so there's like actual right mechanical like changes.
Speaker 2: Bullets and now have brimstone fire effect on them. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So again like Haites where it's like you have the dodge and now your dodge is an attack.
Speaker 2: And stuff like that, where it's like it builds on the stopman coded damage on your Webinner.
Speaker 1: RNG is great in these kind of games because often you're selecting things bait, building out what you got before, and you're consciously trying to make a certain build. Other times you have no choice but to adapt to what the game's giving you. So they're a nice give and take. You said you played till a game over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my first like just the like I played until my crew all got wiped.
Speaker 3: So did you stop and put it down there?
Speaker 2: I I just stop because I like it to make it ki okay.
Speaker 1: So here's the thing about the game, And I'll be the first to say this game could do a much better job of teaching many of its systems.
Speaker 5: This is what I was going to say, because I saw Mary was streaming this and I popped into her stream and she just started it. And I think everyone's first like hour plus in this game is like what is Okay, there's the sector level, but then also this stuff on the planet, but then what is persistent three? Yeah, And I could tell Mary was kind of still in that period of like who do I kill here?
Speaker 2: What do I do? What's you know, like I don't really get this.
Speaker 5: You know, it can be down two guys here, Like it takes i'd say at least an hour an hour and a half to kind of start clicking and grub.
Speaker 2: It sounds like you're kind of yeah.
Speaker 4: It's where I'm like, I did realize, so I did play like just a touch further where it's like, Okay, I have the one character that I picked to survive, and then I saw the Golden coffin and I'm like, oh, they taught me that that brings back one of these characters already, So I bet I'm able to bring back these other characters and then I take them back down to a planet. Like I haven't done that.
Speaker 1: Part yet, so I'm curious what happens when you load back up. Dan, did you finish the first play through?
Speaker 5: I beat the Yeah, I saw credits to a couple nights ago.
Speaker 3: Did you do it in one run?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 5: Because like that's the thing is like it's the rogue light part of it is it seems I thought at first, for hours, I thought that if I died, I'm going back to the very beginning. And then but it's like oh no, that sector, you're going back to the beginning of that sector.
Speaker 4: And it really there's there's an iron Man mode that will be like a true rogue like that gets you all the way back to the your first play through.
Speaker 1: And Dan correct me if I'm wrong in some way. It's the first play through is not a rogue light. Things are randomized. You will procedural shooter, but you will go back on the sector map. You will go back to the start of that, but it's not sending you to the beginning of the game. It's a rogue light light you have like a checkpoint. It's basically taking to a checkpoint. Yeah, so like if you if you get if you pick up an ace or two, like a chorus or a charge days. Charge days are the one that you have to rest your characters, uh to actually utilize. You might lose those by going back to the beginning of the sector and then the sector will rearrange, but you're not actually resetting in a robe like However, Yes, but that's the narrative mode, and you're unlocking the characters in the same order the first time anybody plays the game.
Speaker 5: And once you unlock them, you're never losing the characters. If you have five bastards and you die, you're gonna have those five bastards.
Speaker 1: They all have to get injured and they go back to the beginning of sector and also injured. Yeah yeah, yeah, So it's in the new game play and I still think the narrative the first play through is super fun. I think the character designs great. I love finding different synergies because for anybody who hasn't played it, you could just press R one or RB and you immediately become your you go down in Duo's.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they can only go down. They can only be on the field one at a time, but you can have multiple there and you can switch.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And if you played Void Bastards, that was two layers, like the FTL layer where you're unlocking certain doors or no sorry, yeah, you're you're traveling across space, and then there's the shooter section.
Speaker 2: This has three.
Speaker 1: There's traveling space, there's when you beam down to the planet you're on this like board game map, and then there's the shoot arenas. In the arenas are bite size, quick fire like Quake, almost Doom esque like with Halo Enemy variety. And I've seen reviews saying that the enemy variety is very low. However, when you get into Lake game, there's a lot of messaging. Dan, I was like, I counted, there's twenty different kinds of.
Speaker 4: You get the like you get the data pads that show you how many sucks there are. At least there's at least twenty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and many of them are like just upstats of the Vanilla version. However, there are others that act very differently that actually once and again, I think I don't think the game is great at teaching you several things. I think they want you to learn through trial and error. However, some of your decisions you could be making a bad decision and have no idea you're about to fuck things up again. You're only going back to the beginning of sector. But when you start to play the game enough and you when you're hovering over a node on the map, it shows you the enemy types that will be there, so you get characters later on. So, for instance, there's a character named Rawhide who's one of my favorites. They have the burst sonic rifle, and then there which can penetrate shields on yellow Bellies, which are these guys who are just like they will run from you, and they will force you to flank because they put down these green force fields in front of you and they can shoot through them, but you can't unless you have raw hide, so you'll have to flank them. And then there's sometimes when it's like, oh, I'm about to fight twelve yellow bellies.
Speaker 3: This is and I don't have raw hide. This is gonna fucking suck.
Speaker 5: Or let's say there's a yellow bellies and then there's a bunch of like animals, those coyotes. His stunt will fucking take it. The call of the wild stunt or whatever will take over those so like it subverts them. So like you can shoot through the guys with shields and also see these coyotes and be like you're mine. Now you're fighting for me, And then you see like enemy and ally and like it's so fun when like you do a bunch of stunts and shit, or there's the girl with the bone arrow that can kind of like subvert things. It's like, oh, now I've turned totally turned the tide of battle, and there's more of mine on the field than there is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you can build so stunts are they're ultimates. They have unique stats and movements some of them, and they have unique weapons and then they have the stunt. They're ultimately and you can It took me like three hours to realize I could stack those and not even oh yeah yeah. So at one point I was raw Hyde and there were four Grizzlies left. They're one of the more difficult animals, and I had four stunts, so I just went R one R one, R one, R one, and I won and I didn't even see them.
Speaker 3: I had subverted them from across the map.
Speaker 5: And some of them just like break things in a way that you don't see what FPS where. It's like you get smoky and it'll just like three unseen enemies will catch on fire. So you look at a few of those, it's like pooh, pooh, pooh. Like you you might not even see an enemy and you kill them all. And for anyone who like is like, oh man, these combat arenas are pretty simple. It's a pretty basic FPS yes, but also it is just one part.
Speaker 2: Of the game.
Speaker 4: Like I asked you, no, this is this is the key for me is that that's when I started enjoying is like, oh, this is a board game first, maybe, yeah, and these combat arenas are a not a mini game, but they are an event that happens.
Speaker 2: In the Mario party.
Speaker 5: You've got based up for your rolling the dice and going around the board and needed million games every once.
Speaker 2: In a while.
Speaker 4: And when I started viewing it that way, I'm like, well, I am and joining the board game a lot, and then I get to take some of this fun stuff into these arenas, and the fact that it's kind of simple is maybe not a feature instead of a bug.
Speaker 5: It's like a fun break between like strategizing and like, okay, there's like a spring.
Speaker 2: All the stuff that you're getting on the board, which is cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and the board game part is cool because like you'll go down to the planet level the board game part and there will be like you know, three to five things where it's like, okay, here's some money, here's here's an ace that I want to get, here's a mod for my guns. You want to get it all, but you don't have to. You can go right to the thing and being.
Speaker 2: Back up, but be back out immediately if you wanted to yes one on the board.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, you don't have to pick anything up, but you want to get everything to help you run and so, but if you take too much time, then they'll start worping owt like this guy mc neil and like his buddies and stuff. So there's like these higher powered guys that will move around the board and be a little tougher to kill if you take too much time. So yeah, and then there's a day night cycle on the board and you'll have certain aces that are like, oh if it's nighttime, yeah, this character moves.
Speaker 2: Three extra space or something. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So like there are like I really really like the board game element of this and Greb, like you said, it's really quick to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: The accent at that point is just like, okay, this is like the fun, like you know, shoot.
Speaker 4: A part of this, you know, right, It's like cool that I get to actually shoot stuff with this board game character. Now, it's like going with board games would be better if they had a shooting segment command conquer Renegade in it. No, it's on PC, so we can mod it in for you, Mike geez ikin'd of like mods. That's right, you're anti mod This.
Speaker 1: Game also avoids this design trope that many games do. I think in a lesser game, these characters have these. I think every character in their own way is overpowered. And like you said, these princes, they're called that. These three characters that work down, they're basically the narratively, they're hunting you across the galaxy. You're trying to escape them. They beam down and Judge is a really powerful character. He's which also the like the creativity in the weapons and the art direction you get. You have to get three critical hits with his rifle and then you get the fourth hit is always an insta kill, no matter where you hit them in their body, and to show it the laser or the yeah, lasers, the sites, it's each critical hit is building one part of a gallows to like the noose, and then once you get it, it goes to the front and it's a skull with process yeah. And I was thinking, I was like, there's no way they're gonna let me get that instant kill on the boss, and sure enough he warped down. I shot him once and he was dead.
Speaker 2: So that's what you want from a Rogue Light, right. You want to feel overpowered occasionally.
Speaker 1: I think many games would be like, no, we want the boss to be difficult artificially, so we're not gonna let these powers work on them. It's like, no, if if the boss is the last one and you have the bow and arrow and it's a character, it's narratively it's one of the later characters, and if there's a twenty five percent chance to subvert them to your team one and four is crazy when you're shooting that often. So if you shoot the boss often enough, the boss is going to join your team and kill all of his minions.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I actually I don't think the game truly truly struck me as being excellent until the new game. Plus, there are two other ways you could play it. There is iron Man Mode, which is you go back to the beginning of the game, and also it's shuffling the character, so that's what's fun. It's like you get the characters in a random order, which is very fun. Because team comp I actually got like bad roles on this play through. I got Spike who by himself. He him and Kaboom, the Dynamite character were too. I was like, they feel kind of not they don't. However, I'm modern Kaboom in a way where basically I would it would be one of those fort maps and I would just lob a bunch of dynamite and they were splitting into so many more that they were killing one or two people every time.
Speaker 3: He's also great for Yellow Belli's just thrown behind him.
Speaker 2: Oh sure.
Speaker 3: I got Spike, who's like this stealth character who can be really good and you get the right mods.
Speaker 5: But there's a bunch of defenses because his stunt is you can just subvert turds and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: So New game plus then Iron Man with shuffle characters. I also did the Super iron Man, which is if in the base game, if your characters are injured, which means they basically are dead until you get a tonic to revive them, or each time you warp between sectors they get revived.
Speaker 2: In Super iron Man they do not.
Speaker 1: You need tonics to revive them, so you can warp to a new sector and it does not revive them. Oh wow, So the game really got good, and the board game stuff got much more interesting when I was playing on a harder difficulty, And these are separate from the difficulties, so you can keep playing on normal difficulty but have these modifiers, so there's a lot of room to tweak things. I'm playing on hard Super Iron Man, and now I'm like, I'm a beans are more important because they're stopping certain characters from that's a that's out of context. It's a weird thing that, Yeah, but I can't I really cannot afford with only three characters in this play through for anybody to get injured, because I'm now it's going to make me need to go get a tonic instead of an ace that could really, you know, bump up their stats or give them a whole new ability. But also it's way more terrifying when a prince comes, you know. I'm like, I'm more in the base game. I was cleaning out the maps, and to be clear, once you're there long enough the actual main enemy comes down, you can't kill him if he catches you on the board.
Speaker 2: You're oh, I never got to that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it got to the point where I was farming the princes for infamy, so I was waiting there. I was like, Okay, this is getting I think the game can get a bit easy later in the first play through, but the difficulty is such now that I'm actually it's a much more of a risk reward weighing, and I'm like, I could leave the map now, even though there's a tonic up there which could come in handy later if let's say Preach, She's my only character that I could take a loan on missions.
Speaker 2: I have like Spike and Kaboom, and I have raw Hide, and all of them are better as like back up characters. Maybe not raw Hide, but.
Speaker 1: It gets more difficult and there's more the stakes are higher, and it makes the decision making like that more fraught.
Speaker 3: I'm really really enjoying the new game.
Speaker 1: Plus, and also it's I really really like just the pace of this game, like those those The firefights are quick, but I think if there were too long it would get cloying.
Speaker 5: It is a tremendous theme deck game because it's just like I'm playing so easy to just you know, play a couple or like, you know, I've played entire flights, you know, playing this game or pick it up for fifteen minutes and then get a full session and it's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh man, it's so fucking good. Yeah, I like the game a lot. Yep.
Speaker 3: Anyway, what uh what else are you, Mike?
Speaker 2: What have you been playing? Well?
Speaker 6: A sides from Alone in the Dark for the Wii, which I wouldn't really playing anyone because my friends are jerks.
Speaker 5: That's not that sucks man, man, why would they? But there's a good games out there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I know, it's strange. I've been playing through a lot of the Frum software library. After beating Shadow of the r Tree, having any film with that, and realizing that somehow I never played the Dark Souls games, decided should finally go and do.
Speaker 2: I'm still kind of hungry for more of that formula.
Speaker 6: Played through all Dark Souls one and really really liked it, totally got the hype, and you know, Dark Souls two has kind of a weird reputation. You have some people really defend the game, but a lot of people are like, no, it's definitely the Black Sheep. And I'm like forty hours into it now, I'm playing through the DLC content before I do the final Boss. I've been playing a lot of it, and I both like it and also completely understand that reputation.
Speaker 2: It does just feel a little weird and a little off.
Speaker 6: Compared to Dark Souls one or even an Elder Ring, And some of it is just kind of Some of it's the way the game's designed, Like there's a lot of areas where the soul's combat is really designed for one on one encounters, and sometimes they'll switch that up and you'll fight two people, or maybe you'll fight four weaker people and you have to do one big screen whatever. There's like a lot of vistanses here where it's like, here's three or four kind of strong people, good luck with that, and it's kind of just miserable trying to kind of basically run over there, run over the room to kind of hope you sort of luck into it.
Speaker 4: Eventually you're actually kind of figure it out. Hit boxes are also weird.
Speaker 6: I had one instance where here's a big troll boss or something, and he has this big grab move and it's very telegraphs like I don't want to grab you, so you backroll and grabs me and I backroll and he misses, and then his hand is here and my character model just warps to his hands. It's like, nope, you belong here. Then he bites my head off. Right, I'm like, oh, that's that's a lot of fun. Uh, you know, Having said that, it's still ultimately one of those made by them. It's got some really you know, interesting looking areas. The Hobworld is really nice, Mas you are. It's got this very pretty pleasant song that I think is a favorite among the fans. There's still a lot of good boss fights and everything like that, but it's definitely not as good as Dark Souls one. I'm not gonna be some Dark Souls to hater some people are, but I get it. How far I think you are in it, I guess I like. So I'm like, I think I'm pretty close. So there's three DLCs they're released yet. They released three DLCs for this one, and I finished one of them and I'm like a couple hours in the other one. Then I'm like, right before the final buzz, that's what the that's what people are telling me to do, Like, because the DLC is usually the hardest content, so it's like, do that right before beating the game.
Speaker 2: Generally. Two also has Scholar of the First Sin, which so I'm playing that version.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, yeah, I was gonna say, honestly, I don't even anytime anybody tells me they haven't played that game, I'm like, don't bother going back to the like actual og, Scholar of the First Sin is much more balanced and well paced.
Speaker 6: Right and I've been I've been playing these on stream, so like, and you know, if you play Soul's games, you're gonna attract a lot of the Soul siccos, which is mostly a nice thing because you can ask them a lot of questions. Yeah, sometimes you have to tell them to not offer it up in voluntarily. It is nice to have them there, especially because you know Dark Souls two like getting to the DLCs, and that was even a problem Dark Souls one, you would never know how to access the DLC.
Speaker 2: It's actually in that game. It's it's it's like, go to this.
Speaker 6: Area, fight this boss, roll over here, fight this thing, talk to this lady two times, go to completely separate.
Speaker 2: Ay, you already were before, Kill that goll and pick up that item. Go back. It's insane.
Speaker 6: Here it's a little better, but it's still like you have to get a ring from this place and then open the door over here.
Speaker 2: Like how would you know that? You wouldn't.
Speaker 5: I was watching like your first dream with that and you accidentally joined a cult that made the game way harder right away.
Speaker 6: I immediately and the hometown there is a you know, there's covenants in the first game, and I barely understood what they did.
Speaker 2: I think it was mostly something about spells.
Speaker 6: I don't even know, but I was like, I found a stone statue like join our Covenant blah blah blah, and my eyes kind of glazed over them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Sure, apparently I activated hard mode and for a while I was like, man, Dark Soils two is.
Speaker 2: A lot harder than Dark So.
Speaker 1: It's a call it that whenever giants go to grab you, it warps you to their fists. And then, have you played blood Borne Demon Souls?
Speaker 2: I did play Bloodborne, okay, not Souls.
Speaker 6: Though not I played, I've just like started a couple of times that I got too far, same fitting the Sacro played. It never got too far, So I planned to go back to Pacoro and Demon Souls. I want to play blood Board again, but but I'm holding I'm holding out for some kind of remiss.
Speaker 2: Stop don't know. Some guys do not hold play blood Borne.
Speaker 5: No, because I did that with I replayed Metroid Prime and I replayed Papermark, and a certain.
Speaker 2: Level of certainty that they are not working on a blood Board remaster. Yeah, I play it, Okay, I'm going to wait. I okay.
Speaker 1: Blood Board is one of my top five games of all time. I'm telling you it's good enough where you could play it, and then if this imaginary PC whatever port comes true, you will want to replay it and do a new weapon.
Speaker 2: Already framed character.
Speaker 4: Right, Well, keep buying a fifteens five and yeah that's not happened. We can just steal Andy Cortez's oh yeah, big terms one of him.
Speaker 2: Bloodborne is awesome. I've never played it.
Speaker 1: I don't think I've ever come around in a game so hard. Maybe Death Stranding is the only other exception. I did not love Sekiro the first time I played it. I got like five hours in and I remember like it just would not click with me. And then I went and I replayed Bloodborne. It's like I got to give Secure another chance. Jake Decker talks about all these bosses later in the game that sound awesome, and I went back and for whatever reason, like the I like was more open minded about what it wanted me to do. It's all about countering, obviously, and like just like constantly pushing yourself toward danger and fights. The more I embraced like living on that knife's edge, the more like, Okay, I kind of get what this game is doing and now it's like, God, that game is genius.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I got five hours into Secord.
Speaker 6: I was enjoying it, but then fell off, and now I'm like really excited to eventually get back there started again and really be all about it.
Speaker 1: They have boss fights in that game that are some of the I mean, Dan, you know, in terms of games that make you like, you know, like that first pattern recognition in bosses, I love them, but like, yeah, seci Ro is just there's bosses there that I've never gotten into this like such a fugue state as when I thought some of those bosses like all right, I gotta jump this attack, I gotta perry this one. I got a dodge and then I gotta perry. By then he should be his key should be down, and then I I don't know.
Speaker 6: Now I am worried because my builds in all of these games is very tanky, sordid shield thing, and that worked really well for me in Elder Ring, worked very well for me in Dark Souls one Dark Souls too, the shield has been kind of Garbo but sort of making it work. But yeah, Cecro, it's it's a much more about perrying, which I.
Speaker 2: Never do, but it feels so good that you'll get it.
Speaker 4: You're very good at perrying in Resident Evil four remakes, Sonna be Fine.
Speaker 5: I flirted with the idea of going back to because it was the first frum game or I guess of the like souls type from games that I beat Adventures of Cookies and Cream. Hell yeah, let's go your first. No, No, Bloodborn is the first one I beat. The reason I'm scared of Sekiro is I can't do the thing. The from games I beat are like as far as the soul's type ones are Bloodborn and elden Ring, and both of them I just just cheese and farmed and just fucking got super super leveled up, and you can't do that in seki Row. The other thing is Kayla, my sister, who is maybe the best like games player, Like just insane, how quickly you should can pick up and perry and do all that shit. I sat and I watched her for hours, tried to beat the last boss, and she was like, it's impossible, I can't do it. Like and if she she beat almost all that game on a fucking PlayStation portal in a different floor, then yeah, she's ridiculous, and she was like, this is way too fucking hard.
Speaker 1: I think you're selling yourself a bit short. Honestly, I think Mike Tyson's punch out is, yeah, if you can, you can.
Speaker 4: If you could be Tyson, you could beat anything, any boss in any from game.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's correct.
Speaker 4: Can I mod Securo for so all the bosses or Mike Tyson probably, and I can play as Jake Paul.
Speaker 2: Which is what you need to beat games. I get it. Yeah, of course Jake Paul sucks.
Speaker 1: For the record, I do think Securo is one of the games where you need to you're gonna but like bash your head against some bosses. Like there's certain bosses that gave me trouble that Jake was like, oh weird that I had no problem. Then Jake's like, oh, that's the hardest boss in the game, and then I one shot it.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think it's more just about like people's mind wrap around it, minds wrap around it differently. Yeah, Kayla, not being able to beat it scary.
Speaker 5: But I'm not discounting the possibility. I just ooh boy, it's probably the one that scares me the most.
Speaker 4: When you do the the front perry where you step on the other a person's weapon. It's one of the best feelings in the world, less animation. It's incredible and you'll get addicted to that and you'll want to get through the whole game because better than carrying a chainsaw if your knife and it's neck and neck. But don't I'm really excited to start Dark Soul's three because apparently that one's like a lot like Darksel's one, but faster paced.
Speaker 2: And it is that sounds kind of nice. I got so much shit for giving that game an eight at game Spot.
Speaker 1: I stand by it, and then Kevin van Ord, who reviewed the previous ones before he left game Spot, He's also like, yeah, I would have given it eight.
Speaker 2: So everybody was like freaking out about that as well.
Speaker 6: We all have one of those. I gave uh Devil May cryt five to seven, and some people are still mad at me. But it's all right.
Speaker 2: I was right.
Speaker 1: Dark Darksels three is the one I'm most likely to reap, or I'm always the closest to replaying it is. However, I think they definitely kind of were more writing the ship after two and playing it safe.
Speaker 6: Sure, yeah, because it's like also more of a direct sequel to one. Right, a lot of the same bull and characters are kind of showing up her references, at least to that pantheon of characters where Stark sols too.
Speaker 2: It's almost like a final.
Speaker 6: Fantasy thing where it's like, yeah, it's Dark Souls too, but it's not connected to the previous thing in any real way.
Speaker 2: Sor He was Mike, I'm an idiot.
Speaker 5: I spent a solid thirty seconds confused because I thought you said I gave Devil May Cry five of seven, and I was like, wait, I didn't know he was reviewing back in one, and I was like, but his scoring system was out of seven.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we're real and usual. Gazy had that seven point scale. Matic critic hated us five of seven.
Speaker 2: DNC No. Five. Seven is just my seven favorite, my second favorite board. Yeah, uh oh yeah, I get that.
Speaker 4: Even I don't know I even with that because seven of nine was a big thing. Oh, you wouldn't know seven of nine put the lotion under her shirt and that one that's also what is this think about the sexy Star Trek characters, Mike, we're fucking space.
Speaker 2: Now get on board seven of nine.
Speaker 4: And then t Apostrophe p O l that with lotion Apostrophe wear cat suits. Yeah, David, it's uh David du Coveny, No, No, it's it's not David Comany, it's the other one. I always conflating with the guy from from What's the Time Travel show?
Speaker 2: Got Back, Got Back?
Speaker 1: That's super weird. I always got David Ducoveney and John Ritter mixed up. Really Okay, spacially, we were talking about the company recently because of that's right, what happened with them? They were married, but he was like his character on Californication and so they divorced.
Speaker 2: Yeah, biography, I know, seven of nine, I remember that was her name.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a Quantum Leaf Steve song yet kind of incredible and yeah, that's so.
Speaker 4: Happy that you guys ever watched the new Quantum Leap would apparently been on for like multiple seasons.
Speaker 6: Now really that's the thing that broke me on reboots because it's like, like fifteen years ago, if you told me Quantum Leap was back, I was like, well that's important, but.
Speaker 5: Now how the world and no one even talking was like, oh miammy device is coming back, and then no one talks about to be on the No they like my Heami Advice was a hit, but they even stuff like the Saved by the Bell, like things that were like touchstones of a generation and with the original and no one cares full house, Yeah, I think weirdly, Well, for a second.
Speaker 2: Well I might have.
Speaker 6: I think it might have throwed off in the end. I don't know, but you're right, like every it's at a point now where everything gets rebooted.
Speaker 2: So it doesn't matter.
Speaker 5: What could they reboot that would actually have like a massive like, oh, this actually matters and we need to watch one.
Speaker 2: That seems sacred somehow.
Speaker 4: So far in terms of like rebooting into a new movie or show, has been back to the future.
Speaker 2: For like some Well didn't they.
Speaker 4: I think the guys that are responsible that said that, they literally will not let it happen until they die, right, So like like maybe when that happens, that might be.
Speaker 2: I don't say good, but people will be like, okay, we'll take notice.
Speaker 4: Once the Point Break remake happened, I'm like, who cares? Who cares? Yes, And I was just like, oh, I won't even remember this happened a couple of years from now, So like I'm not even gonna get mad about it.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I remember when Liken the Spike TV era and Ren.
Speaker 5: And Stimpy came back, they said, fucking they fuck Now, It's like, what that's.
Speaker 6: So freaking weird. That was on that new TV buckets that in Stripper re Spike TV, which was the channel that played the Star Check the next Generation reruns to bring it all back.
Speaker 2: So I was watching for a couple of season TV and RAW. So yeah, I was watching a lot of Spike TV. Yeah good, grew up. You've been playing Star Wars Outlaws.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, I kind of got back into it after some traveling, and I am glad that I'm able to take it slow. I don't envy anyone that had to review this game in a handful of days, because if you yes, like I acknowledge, there's a lot of mediocre elements, especially at the beginning of the game. I think it makes a pretty poor first impression. It is a stealth game in many ways, and it's not like the best stealth. It's not bad, it's fine. You can have fun with them, especially if you get into the Knick's character. Who's your little sidekick space dog that you could send out to basically mess with anything and everything. It can go dance in front of a camera and then you can walk past the camera and it's fine. It can attack every enemy, it can distract every enemy. You can upgrade it so eventually it can distract like three enemies at a time. You can get very powerful. But that takes time for me though, as someone who's like in a weird place with Star Wars or there's some stuff I really love and some stuff I can find very very off putting with some of these shows, and just in terms of the quality, not in terms of the like, oh it has representation or something.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of weird to talk out there about that saying that Star Wars is too Yeah, I wear I was wearing the Star Wars shirt on January sixth. Absolutely, I can mostly just enjoying hanging out in this space because it feels very Star Wars. And that doesn't just mean you go to tattooing, which you definitely do in this game. I've actually not been there yet. They have some new planets that just feel like, oh my god. They have some designers that really get it, and every five steps is another picturesque Star Wars moment where there is someone cooking some awesome space food and there's people hanging around out there or they're gambling, and none of it, most of it, the vast majority of it, you can't interact with. So it is very much like this diorama. But I'm like accepting that and just enjoying the ambiance of it. And because I'm not rushing to find the next fun thing that i can do in this world necessarily, I'm just sort of moving through it at my own pace.
Speaker 2: I'm finding that very effective.
Speaker 6: And then when I did the demo, like when the planet I was on was this kind of like Savannah themes Star Wars, I thought that it was like a very interesting biome change.
Speaker 4: Right, So that's because that's a wind biome, and they're like there's people who farm wind and stuff for inner g and like it's like they know what they're doing. They like know what makes like a Star Wars biome work. And then I went to a snow planet that was instead of like a hath it is actually a very populated snow planet. So it's like a lot of structures built out of stone and there's a lot of fire pits, everywhere and everyone's trying to stay warm, and you go inside and there's some opulence, but mostly that's just where the crime guilds are.
Speaker 2: And then there's just a lot of people just scraping by. And I love that ship. So they go there and Rise of Skywalker. Oh really, is that the right?
Speaker 1: Carrie Russell's character at that movie out of his mind? But that is that planet is my favorite part of that movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's cool.
Speaker 1: It's it's like it's like monk architecture, like yeah, Asian monk but sorry, they specifically pulled from Tibetan architecture and then put it in like a very blizzardy planet.
Speaker 2: It's super cool for sure, and it works this place charted too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, this type of Tibet like this is this type of like you know Star Wars and that you like to explore. Is did you like like Jedi Survivor in that same type of way?
Speaker 4: I do?
Speaker 2: And I've not played through all of the Survivor.
Speaker 4: I kind of fell off because Zelda came out at the same time, and I've then I got so busy. I haven't gone back, but I love Fallen Order and I keep meaning to go back to the Survivor, and now that Survivor is on old Gin consoles, I'm going to see if it works better on the ally and actually play it on there. Oh yeah, so but yes, I do like that stuff, and like when I watched the shows like Mandalorian. I never loved Mandalorian, but the best parts of it were like, oh, some concept artists like cooked with this Pacific Northwest planet where they're all fishermen and they're wearing like the rubber overalls and stuff, and I'm like, I like just thinking about what it's like to live in these places, and so yeah, I like that in most of my Star Wars games, even like going back to Shadows of the Empire, where it's like, oh, this fun prison planet or whatever, like how does this work? And now they're like the sewers on this the whole time. Yeah, sewer level. Yes, of course there was.
Speaker 6: When I was at that preview event, I did an interview with some people worked on the game, and I tried to ask them if they were inspired by Shows of the Empire and they looked at me and I never felt so old in my life. I looked at Oh, it's like, oh, oh no, you people are making a Star Wars game, you are like, how dare you bring up shows the Empire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's I don't know if it was a comic con or like DVD commentary. They talked about their maybe this is more well known than I'm bringing it up as I like, it's a cool tidbit. But they've talked when they're designing a new planet, they they they're mantra is seventy percent familiar, thirty percent new. So they'll take the Pacific Northwest or the Serengetti and then add the wind farms or the like the taxi driver seventies neon vibes in the city and stuff like that, which is like how they grab you with something you know or at least have seen online or in textbooks and then bring in the weird touch.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they always they always try to ground a lot of stuff with familiarity. That was like thinking with like the John Williams music too, It's like, oh, so it's word's up, but let's use a classical like very familiar score. And yeah, that's always been one of the appeals to Star Wars. But I played the game and now I'm just having fun. Kind of consistently no matter what I'm doing. The I did a couple of stealth missions through Imperial fortresses that I found very satisfying, just because I do have more abilities. Now, the fighting the Imperials doesn't have any of the ramifications of like I'm maybe I'm getting in good with one of the factions, but I'm definitely pissing off another one. It's like, no, you just can do whatever you want to the Imperials, and everyone seems to be okay with that except for the Imperials, but they always are kind of aggressive towards you.
Speaker 2: So that's fun.
Speaker 4: And then I'm like getting the hang of the faction system where it's like everything I do is going to have those ramifications. And that feels a little bit like the Hans Solo fantasy that I would have imagined as a kid, where it's like he's just doing his thing and sometimes he's really in good with Java, and then the next week he did one thing to mess up, and now Jaba put out a hit on him, and it's like, yeah, that that is happening here. So playing it at my own pace has really been nice, And I don't know, I'm not sure if it's a game I'm like gonna recommend to everybody. But if you have an affinity for Star Wars obviously, and you've ever had a game where it's like, not everything is working for me, but I still enjoying it because of this and this, if you've been through that enough times, you'll probably know if this is going to be for you.
Speaker 2: You joined the Subach mini game, I am. Yeah, it's a previous in game card game. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I had a pretty bad run right at the start, and now every time since then, I've kind of won consistently, which is pretty fun.
Speaker 5: I should I should consider playing both Outlaws and Jedi Survivor, because I've heard great things about Jedi Survivor. For sure, I liked it. I didn't beat it. I got pretty far in it, like near the end, and I stopped. But like I love the original trilogy, I have like weird nostrologia for the prequel trilogy, as flawed as those are, and I really liked seven and eight, but then I hated nine, And I haven't seen really any of the I don't have this plus, so I haven't seen any.
Speaker 2: Don't need to watch it. You can watch and or, but that's good. I've heard that's really good.
Speaker 5: It's the best TV show that's ever been made. But yeah, yeah, so that is the one I'm curious about. But yeah, someone who just does have a certain fondness for Star Wars without being a super fan, I feel like these games sound good enough towards I'd like to just kind of be in that world a bit, you know.
Speaker 4: I think Outlaws might be Yeah, that might work for you, actually, Yeah, and then the Survivors just a apparently the story gets very good and I like I like that sort of light, dark soul style game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dan, I'm curious what you'd think about Outlaws. I think you would like it to a certain extent. However, Grub, have you done stealth missions for the main story yet main storyline or are they the imperial bases that are in the open world.
Speaker 2: I've done both, Okay, gotcha. Uh.
Speaker 4: But the one, the one main storyline imperial based one I did was kind of frustrating because I couldn't figure out the line they were trying to.
Speaker 2: That was like the Head and the Jar. Yes, yes, I played that one on my preview.
Speaker 4: Yes, And once I figured it out and I got to like, like the big there's like a big open space and then there's like a kind of something yeah, the hangar, and there is some like platforms along the wall, and I'm like, where is this leading to? And I didn't see that. There was like the wall right in front of me. Was like, oh there, now those are things I could like climb on the wall. And my brain didn't process that. And because of that, I like kind of lost for a little bit in there. And that was that was frustrating. And at that point you don't have a tone of abilities.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that was.
Speaker 4: Well, everything since then, honestly, that was the big hump for me, and then everything since then has been a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, I've seen so many reviews talk about how it does the insta fel stealth missions like Circa on Charted two.
Speaker 4: Yes, they patched those though, right like they did make they did, Yes, they did, actually they did make those easy.
Speaker 2: What did they? Oh? They they like but you know, I specifically patched.
Speaker 6: They said the instant failures and the early stealth missions were the patch Now whatever that means.
Speaker 2: I don't know how to show.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's that's good to know for this group though, So none of you have played much of Jedi Survivor, if any.
Speaker 6: When you're like a couple hours, like five hours ish, and then we got kind of busy. I also kept waiting for a patch to fix the performance, which like maybe never happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the PC version got a little bit better.
Speaker 1: People are saying, Okay, I played on PlayStation, but Dan, I know, we talked about fire Skape for and I told you, I think if you play more you'll like it.
Speaker 2: I no, one fall in order. I liked.
Speaker 1: However, the thing that Jedi Survivor surprised me. They go very hard on the three D platforming in that game, like yeahs of time kind of it's wall running and swinging, and you get like a triple dump jump triple dump dump.
Speaker 3: That was a single dump Dan, Nice, nice, beautiful.
Speaker 1: No, you start getting air dashes and these like uh like supernatural grappling hook stuff.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 3: They go harder on the platform in the game.
Speaker 2: Okay, I need to play this.
Speaker 1: Seeing that game is very weird because you get to that planet early on that's just huge, and you can explore that for like eight hours. I would encourage you frog freak, Yes, I would encourage you to keep moving to new planets as soon as they open up, because you can go back to all these and I think that helps the pacing. It gets to the point where you're meeting characters that then give you their powers, and you're picking up stuff Mega Man style, and then all of a sudden, you are just like Airborne for ten seconds at a time.
Speaker 2: It's whoa, Okay, yeah, it's okay, I should play this. Yeah. It gets like a.
Speaker 1: Zelda structure too, in the sense that they're like, all right, well, we got to kill this guy and get that thing. We had to kill this person and get that thing. She's fucking stuff off. We gotta go kill her. Where do you want to go first? And you kind of pick that game really surprised me. I wish i'd played more of it when it first came out, but it Jedi's Drivers.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 1: I don't think people talk about it enough because again, I don't think the opening is that strong.
Speaker 5: So I just felt bored and I felt like when I started it, I was like, I feel like I can see what this is.
Speaker 2: It's just a talk, you know, Yeah, it's just.
Speaker 1: They Also it's it starts doing your building up your own cantina and doing like base building, like Red Dead, Redemptionry two, Horizon Forbidden West style right, Reiter to.
Speaker 2: The Horizon.
Speaker 3: Right, it's doing those things more like it's more gamifying.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, Well, Horizon, for all its faults is a video game. I'll get no, for all of its qualities is one of the best games ever made. But well, I'm somewhere in the middle. I'm a reasonable.
Speaker 2: Three out of seven dumps.
Speaker 3: I still have seven of nine images up on my screen. I haven't seen any of you.
Speaker 2: For something wrong with that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm gonna be more to poll over here, but I get it. Yeah, who real quick around the horn? What's everybody's favorite Star Wars game ever? Jeff God, I.
Speaker 2: Really do like it's Kotor's Tour Dan the go to Mike. First, Mike, it's a.
Speaker 3: Tie between galact The Battlegrounds and Empire at War.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 5: Rogue Squadron sixty four, that's one where you light Saber fight Darth Vader. That one's great too. Rogue Squadron is awesome. Listen, Mike, You're right that way.
Speaker 4: Rouge Squadron two is is a fantastic But Rogue Squadron for the sixty four rules.
Speaker 6: I'll probably say I'd probably say Cooteor, Jeff took Its. I'll say episode one pod Racer, Yeah, racedors grade, Racers grade. I liked Masters of Tarakazi. You know the whole reason I like Tarakazi. Listen, it's a shitty fighting game, but you love a character named Horror whenever you get happened sixth grade for sure. But I think it was like R two if you were playing as Luke Erevader or something, you could literally just like press it like trim and like every kid loves that and just having like a button that and make the fucking sword come out.
Speaker 2: And the saber like that felt great. That's good.
Speaker 6: We talk about how we in Blake Club we play the doors games ever, and there are some games that when people like this is one of the worst games ever, that it makes me roll my eyes.
Speaker 2: Masters of tares Kasi is definitely one like, oh, come.
Speaker 4: On, fair.
Speaker 5: I only played the demo disc version that let you play as Luke and Darth and me and my friends who just like, like, we didn't actually play it. I didn't actually like this is a good fighting game. I just like pulling lightsabers out there.
Speaker 6: It's clearly no techn but no, it doesn't offend me like it offends some people, right right, there was a novelty to like playing a fighting game as Luke Skywalker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, Spot for Shadows.
Speaker 5: The Empire the Phantom Mess game I bought and I tried real hard to enjoy it because I spent fifteen hours.
Speaker 4: That is a.
Speaker 2: Guilty pleasure for me. I like, like, want to play it again. It's good. It's not like Jedi Power Battles Box. And when I went back to recently was like, this game is way simpler and a minute It's like a very simple Jedi Power Battles.
Speaker 6: I'm having a weird one one and Dreamcast Yeah, it was just a beat them up with the with the episode one Jedi that was the only one at the time.
Speaker 2: Plays like kind of fun. But does Mace Wind do in it? Base Wind do ob one? Why Gone? And like a fourth one? I forget who heard you? Which?
Speaker 4: If I wanted to play one of these Star Wars strategy games, which one would you recommend?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: So Empire War still has an active, like very like vibrant modding community. Wow, it's I would say that is a better RTS. However, I always liked galactic so galactic battlegrounds. They took Empire at War two's engine and made it into Star Wars, so you might eat Empires two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what did I say, Empire War Empire War?
Speaker 6: Oh sorry, Age Vampires two, right, because that's the one I'd like because it was just Age of Empires two is Star Wars.
Speaker 3: Like listen, yes, it gets awkward.
Speaker 1: Though when you're in this sci fi game where they have literal planet sized lasers that can blow up planets and you still the way. They tried to conform to the Age of Empires two unit type, so they had to make like every army has pummels, which are these machines that roll up to buildings and hit them like battering rams.
Speaker 3: Like why does Star Wars You know this is Star Wars.
Speaker 1: They have cannons and lasers and whatnot, but they have a scenario editor where you could just get a blank field and then literate with uh the with at A T S and whatnot.
Speaker 5: Oh God, I gotta recommend uh we're playing that Warhammer game and they do like an RTS version that I gotta tell you about that later.
Speaker 2: So, oh, Warhammer does like an rts, like a did you do you know about? You know that dance? Playing Space Marine two and it's like, wow, Warhammer, that's this is pretty neat. I'm not.
Speaker 1: I'm not as into forty K. I'm into fantasy. Are you Are you mocking me? Are you fucking with me?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 5: I just I started playing my first Warhammer game and it's pretty cool, and I just wanted.
Speaker 2: To Space Marine to forty K.
Speaker 1: So to be clear, I'm not the biggest forty K person right now. I'm war into fantasy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's the part of why Warhammer sucks.
Speaker 2: It's confusing. No, it's not. It doesn't suck.
Speaker 5: It's just like it's very hard to like as a as a a person to be like, what the fuck is anyone talking about this high fantasy?
Speaker 4: And there's one that and the one that usually takes place in their forty thousand it's just not that smarts, the one were Lass and Satchels that.
Speaker 2: I don't know what you fuck you mean about?
Speaker 4: Vermentide is as a Warhammer, it's fantasy. There's nine hundred Warhammer things. Some of them are figures, some of them are rts, some of them are rats and Olden times and some of them are crazy space Terminator priests, so jealous that Warammer gets so much bullshit.
Speaker 2: I would love that.
Speaker 3: It's like what Star Wars I think for years was trying what.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was successfully doing like in a lot of ways in the in gamecuber and a little bit before that.
Speaker 5: This is my taste of it, though, and I think it's fucking awesome, Like Space Marine two, me grabbing Janner playing it. We're a couple of chapters in and god damn if that's just not a fun ass game.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, so yeah, Mahart, do you play Total War Warhammer? Yes? And then there is what is the other one that's like the Company of here Rose one uh age six whatever?
Speaker 1: He was forty k Donald Series forty k. That was Relic Entertainment and this Company of Heroes. Okay, yeah, correct they did, right, yes, yeah, but no, I play Total War which is Creative Assembly, which is they do all the historical total workames.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Total War Rome is the last one I play back in the day history. That's true. Correct, Good.
Speaker 1: Ever, here's the here's the layer of Fantasy Warhammer that people don't always know about. If you're looking at the map of the Fantasy Warhamer map, it's just a parody of Earth.
Speaker 2: And then Jesus in that one as well.
Speaker 1: There's Jesus figures all over Warhammer Fantasy like Waramer forty K. Apparently the Emperor he means Jesus Christ. Yes, Oh, this is just the world.
Speaker 5: I'm looking at the picture that there's Africa, there's North America.
Speaker 1: The different factions are like inspired by different historical cultures, and then like the Greenskins, the Orcs are actually if you hear them.
Speaker 5: I don't know if you could say that there is city of Quintechs. Mike lives in the forest of Ahnheim. This is about the author, right, think.
Speaker 3: Dan, I know where both of those are.
Speaker 1: To a pinpoint, I could tell you inteent City of Quintex is over near like southern It's like a Central America.
Speaker 2: In the petrified forest. That's right. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 6: The last Warhammer normal Warhammer game I played, I think, was the Age of Reckoning, the MMO that was actually really good, but then World of Warcoff just kind of stole all of its best ideas and used them, and then Age of Reckoning died pretty shortly after.
Speaker 1: That was kind of I've been talking to Vinnie because Vinnie got the games in a sale, and I'm we're trying to find time so I can kind of shirpa him, Dan, Dan, I think, I don't think this will actually ever happen. However, there's a world in which I actually get you to sit down and try it for like a few hours. And there's ship you the armies you can build. I you would love so much, dude. The rat, the Skaven, the rats are Here's the thing. They are based their weaponry and their fighting style is based on World War One weapons.
Speaker 2: They have, right.
Speaker 1: Have rattling guns that shoot search no search rattling gun warhammer three okay, and it's just they shoot this green warpstone ship that fell from out of space on a a.
Speaker 3: Is it a meteor or a meteor hits the Earth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's exactly what I would expect.
Speaker 1: And then they have ninja rats because they dug underground and were trying to come up in the Empire of Man, but they dug too far and they came up in Cathay, they yes, exactly, and they came up and they came up in fantasy like Japan, and they learned ninja there and so they became Ninja Rats. And there's a whole faction of the Scaven in Warhammer three that is based on Sutterfuge and you take contracts to kill different people. And then there's there's the Dark Elves who get these ships that you can sell up and down rivers and then bombard ship from it.
Speaker 2: It's it's can I get okay?
Speaker 5: Because everything I'm hearing I just said a whole podcast with Bennie and next Langder this week too, and Benny was talking about it Warhammer. Everything I hear about Warhammer from everyone sounds awesome and like exactly my mix of like super stupid ship that takes itself the right level of seriously, Yeah, what does the path for me with Warhammer? If I don't want to buy a model train set and paint things, I just want to like.
Speaker 2: A lot of the games play play.
Speaker 1: Honestly, Space Marine two is a great intro. It's that third person you know, like action shooting and fighting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and let's play Vermin Tide.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Dan, we played Tim Terry got us in.
Speaker 2: Well here's the thing.
Speaker 5: I think, So that needs to be like a B step for me, because like I don't like fancy stuff. The reason I like, honestly, I'm a dumbass and I see a terminator priest in fucking Space Marine.
Speaker 2: I'm like, what is this cool dude? And I'm some way so invested in this. We could do Dark Tide first, then let's do Dark Tide first, and.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you gonna ease me into the deep end here, you know, like I love everything I'm hearing.
Speaker 1: So it's also important to note there's been a lot of speculation about what Creative Assembly is doing next. There is the rumor, the Star Wars rumor for a bit, which I don't know that that has borne out, you yea more than me, but from everything years off, so it was more like early talks. However, people are still assuming that forty they're going to do Total War Warhammer forty k, at which point you're gonna start learning all the different factions of Space Marines.
Speaker 4: You're gonna learn like Sarcraft style like Space No Total War, but what Dan just like because donav War is considered like one.
Speaker 1: Of the Oh yeah Dan, Dan, you could play Dona War two is a command and conquer style artists.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah, like one, but yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Could see me and you during our Reddular two stream kind of stuff with Donna War, Dono War three was fine. I would say I think donov War two was the peak.
Speaker 5: Three got co op awesomely screenshots. This looks like like I've been moaning, uh Command Conquer being dead forever. This looks like the type of ship I want.
Speaker 1: Dude, the company, the developer that made Company of Heroes one of the most lauded rts ever, made these.
Speaker 5: Okay, well, hang on now, because I wanted to like Company of Heroes back when it came out, but then it was one of those things where it's like, I don't want to be one dude sneaking around.
Speaker 2: Armies, you know.
Speaker 1: I use that to illustrate the point that at least they they know what the No. This is more Plan and Conquer, like the unit cap is more absurd, It's more StarCraft.
Speaker 2: Okay, I want WAT twenty eleven. Geez, I want to tell you this.
Speaker 1: I don't know Donald War three. I honestly haven't gone back. Dona four three may have aged better, but it kind.
Speaker 2: Of recent reviews on that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, I know, I just like from my like very offend knowledge, I know that don War one is considered classic. Yeah, and maybe three not so much. I don't know War two or Dona. War three is still mixed. With recent reviews and Donald War two is all very positive.
Speaker 2: On two.
Speaker 1: War one was overwhelmingly positive. Yeah, I still think two is better three. Three definitely took a few steps back. I think they oversimplified things. I think that that was done for three would have been two thousand and fifteen or twenty seventeen seventeen.
Speaker 2: Ok.
Speaker 1: I think that was the era where a lot of like strategy games were trying to like get as many players as possible, so they dumbed down a lot of things.
Speaker 2: Their Final Fantasy sixteen year yep, I get you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Donov War two. I think they didn't give a fuck and they were like, let's cater to our audience.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 5: I'm looking at screenshots in some of this there's a weird orc with a pirate hat. I think I'm like dangerously close to like wanting to get into Warhammer. But if what if we picked a book to read, I would do it. We could do a book club of a Warhammer book I would do would take a good three level one I would do that.
Speaker 4: So actually I got a friend that writes some ones about like the like the the Elite Sniper Team and stuff is not not no, not Jeff Grubb, although Jeff Grubb I think does write some Warhammer books.
Speaker 1: The other h I will say, if you don't like fantasy, it's you're you're gonna prefer forty K.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 1: However, I actually, in my experience, forty K takes itself more seriously than fantasy does.
Speaker 5: But I mean just the stuff I've heard about, like, oh, the Orcs paint their cars red because I think it makes it go faster and because they believe it it works, and like all this, and.
Speaker 1: They also the Orcs in Warhammer Fantasy they're inspired by uh football hooligans.
Speaker 5: In Okay, the UK. I can like fantasy. I like Zelda, like Game of Thrones, you know, like it's honest.
Speaker 2: Forty K like c RPG last year Roade Trader, Yeah did you did?
Speaker 3: You guys not talk about in Giant Bomb.
Speaker 2: I don't think so. We have a little bit of a c RPG, but I do what I can.
Speaker 1: But yeah, very fair, being very very reductive. It's Balderskate three, but Warhammer forty K. Yeah, Dan, you would not like it. It's it's even it's eight times more complex than Balderskate three. It's not as good as baldersk three. But I still know there they have it, but they have every genre. Like the point like yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, you.
Speaker 5: Know, I want to keep playing Space Marine two and I want to play the RTS stuff. That sounds great.
Speaker 1: Tried out of four too, But again, I think there's a there's a point where Warhammer Fantasy. I like it less because it's fantasy and more because I there's a character called His name is Kiro's Fate. So there's there's a bunch of different races and there's dwarves, there's humans, there's high elves, there's dark Elves's wood elves, there's orcs. There's there's a whole undead faction modeled after ancient Egypt. They're mummies, and then there's ones that are based more off like Brahm Stoker style vampires. Seeing all these ones clashed, you're like, oh, okay, I'm gonna go fight the vampire. So I got to focus on taking on the leader, because then the skeletons and the zombies and these like huge bats.
Speaker 2: Will all crumble.
Speaker 1: It's more about like the spectacle just gets so fucking ridiculous. The lizard men are dinosaurs and they have like Aztec trappings and they it's so fucking funny because these like sarus, these like mini like crocodiles will be riding t rexes. So they're dinosaurs riding other dinosaurs into battle. Okay, it gets to a level of ridiculous where it's the most like I honestly like I during some of these battles and thinking this is like Dan Reiker level of like just fun bullshit kind of spectacle and like pomp It's it's it's so fun.
Speaker 4: Did you play bolt Gun?
Speaker 2: Yes? I did play Bultgun was fun, I really was. Yeah. I liked it. Yeah, yeah, I thought it kind of went on a little long for for what it was, but I liked it. Agreed.
Speaker 5: I'm the download bulk Gun because yeah, that did look cool from what I saw it. Okay, Bloomer Shooter, I want to keep my toe in there and like I want to keep playing Space Marin with you guys.
Speaker 6: Bull Guns is great because it has a button that's just like the Taunt button. They recorded like five hundred lines for like the things he screens.
Speaker 3: There's a forty K show in the work with Henry Cavill.
Speaker 2: At the lead.
Speaker 4: Henry Cavill, he is a huge wow mister Warhammer forty K.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Ner, is it gonna be you like kind of good at first? Then the writing is going to let him down?
Speaker 2: Yes? Probably?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dan, you were also played what did you play? No, sorry, grub, you were playing Plucky.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I played Plucky Squire. A think it's Sucky Squire. Yeah, you never said that Squire it is.
Speaker 4: I'm finding it pretty boring. Is kind of where I'm at, and it's hard to like. People say, maybe gets a little bit better once you get a little bit later into it, but I'm finding it very hard to like build up the momentum to get past this these early sections. I'm about an hour and a half in. I've not played it more since we talked about it down on the bomb Test.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 4: What is Plucky Squire is that it's the the storybook game where the character is kind of in a Zelda like in a little book that sits on a table and it's hand painted and it's it's gorgeous, and then something happens in the book so that the care gets teleported out of the book into the real world and then it becomes a three D character that is walking among little beetles and coffee mugs and rulers and pencils, and it's that's a really cool effect. It's a really cool idea. I thought this game looked amazing in trailers, and I play it and it's kind of just this slow, plodding, deliberate game that stops frequently to tell story and then even more frequently to tell you.
Speaker 2: How to play it.
Speaker 5: We love it, and on fire Escape, yeah, it is very undoy in a lot of ways. On paper, it's something that I feel like me and also you greub with love. It's like, we got some Zelda stuff. We got a good gimmick with the like jumping in and out two D three D, we got platforming sections, we have tiny character, big world type stuff, and it occasionally does like a clever gimmick thing where oh, okay, you interact with this thing in the three D world and it does this thing with the two D world, or the book turns vertically and it turns into more book like climbing level type thing, but none of the actual like outside of the gimmicks, none of the moment to moment game play feels super engaging or challenging or clever. It's just it's got a lot of ideas and it just doesn't really run with any of them far enough to be very engaging, you know.
Speaker 2: Right, that is and that like, so this is what I've heard this.
Speaker 4: One of the reasons I'm like not feeling too encouraged to keep playing is when people say it gets better, they're saying it it does a little bit less of the handholding, a little bit less of you go into an area and the camera's going to show you exactly what you need to be doing, then you just go do it, which I really dislike, and this game does a lot of. But even if it did less of that, I'm not like believing this game is going to suddenly win me over, because I think it's going to keep doing what it's done so far, which is, here is a new idea. Now you're going to take the words out of the sentence and put it into a different sentence, and that's going to change the level. And I bet it's not going to be a whole game of that. There's going to be a couple instances of where you do that, and I've heard that as well. So kind of having a lot of ideas and committing to none of them is maybe going to hold this game back for me.
Speaker 2: Yep, I think we're very aligned on that.
Speaker 5: Like, honestly, with all the stuff coming out that I'm curious to play, and even things we've brought up here between Warhammer and Star Wars and things I want to go back to, the odds of me wanting to go back to Plucky Squire are very low right now.
Speaker 4: I still want to try it. Like I'm at the people that are wondering. Yeah, I am scared, like I might align with with you just based on what I'm hearing, but you know, some people seem into.
Speaker 2: It a lot of pondering.
Speaker 4: It's got an eighty four on Open Critics still, John Drake loves it. Yeah, even Greg Miller was bored by it, and that guy laws everything.
Speaker 2: He's got a terrible taste. Yeah, yeah, Big Star, Starfield Defender Grub. I'm curious about UFO fifteen as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just started this same Yeah, and I'm I'm in the first game, but I like what they've set up immediately where it's like here is you could see all fifty games and they have a fake year by them, and it goes from like nineteen eighty three to like nineteen eighty nine, likes period right any s period. And so what they're suggesting here is not suggesting. It is like the deliberate like story of the game. The narrative of the lore is the UFO fifty was a console and or the UFO was maybe a console and it existed through this time and the games came out and they started this way and they're going to progress and some of these games are going to get sequels to themselves inside of this. It's a I guess for people that don't know, it's a collection of fifty games, but it's not like a fifty games in one. It is a fake narrative history of these games coming out over this period of time, and they are all not many games, but like full nes style game.
Speaker 5: Some things that you would find and renting, Like that's part of like I've played like the first like four games at this point, like we both started playing today, I think. And the thing I kind of like about it is like some of them kind of suck, and I mean that in a way, and that I like the first I remember as a kid that had the NES and was constantly going to video stores and stuff like that and just like looking at Boxer and be like, Okay, what is a robo Warrior?
Speaker 2: I'll try this game? What is this thing?
Speaker 5: And then you play it, it's like this is kind of confusing and it kind of sucks, but like you still have that nostalgia for these games because you just played them a lot and you were a kid that first game on UFO fifty and around. I'm kind of trying to figure out the map. I can't figure out where the fuck to go. It's like, okay, my lives are as I don't really know.
Speaker 4: Played for a long time, yeah, and all I got was eventually I found one chest that would open and it gave me fifty bucks. Yeah, and I couldn't I couldn't spend it. That's exact same experience. That's the only long time, like we searching around so many rooms I went into where it's like there are enemies here, maybe I can kill some of them, some are too far away. They are attacking me, and I have these six lives and then if I die, I get a game over. It's frustrating, but I think what's going to happen here is, Oh, this is like the first game on this system. It probably will get a sequel later on in these fifty games, and I bet that one will have all these ideas that it'll be so much better. And it's like, even if that doesn't necessarily happen, there will be a games that are like successors in other ways to this, and we'll build on these ideas and be different.
Speaker 2: And I find that very cool.
Speaker 4: It reminds me of Retro Game Challenge, which was a very similar thing that was a game center CX in Japan and it got localized here as Retro Game Challenge, where kid is putting he actually gets a teleporty back in time, since in front of a console with a kid that was during that time might be himself. They like have magazines in that game where they read about games that are coming out, and then later in the game you play those games, and some of them are platformers or shooters, and then they get more complicated and like one of the last games you play is like a full Dragon Quest style RPG. I love that this seems like that, but even more even bigger Derek you and his friends designing real awesome indie games that exist in the eighties. It's such a cool idea, but that first game is it sucks?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, It's like I love mini games obviously, or collections of games. Like you said, these are not mini games. These are things that, like a lot of nys games, we're just like, here's this is all you do, you know, it's just this, Here's Skykid, and you just that's what the game is, you know, And yeah, these are all it's not Warrior where it's certainly not like Mario Party like mini game types. But I've always loved collections of games and this having that theme that like this cohesive like okay it is this console and this lore behind it and everything. I'm really intrigued by it. It's also kind of what I wanted, Like I got so excited about the playdate because it's like, Okay, we're gonna have a bunch of.
Speaker 2: Weird little games.
Speaker 4: But I get what you're saying, and I've got no I've got a play date, And like I still there are some very clever things in games that have come to that, but overall, it's like I'm not really pulling that thing out and charging it every time there's a new game or anything. The fact that it's like a rare replay for from an alternate universe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: I'm an alternate universe, a different like ANYS competitor that only existed in you know, Ireland or something, you know. And I'm just having only played four games of it, and like all of them they haven't been Like the first one is not great, and the second one I don't even know if I would i'd call great or anything. But it's like I am intrigued to, Like, man, I like this concept so much. I think I want to, like you can like gold cartridge them by like meeting certain objectives, but then you can like cherry red and cartridge them by like you know, beating them, beating them and having like this built in kind of achievement system. Like I kind of just want to like learn all these weird games. I think it's such a cool gimmick.
Speaker 6: And I saw up my alley and like you just look at screenstets, like the one is clearly like supposed to be kind of like a wild guns.
Speaker 4: The one looks like it might me be a bit Belda E and that's really cool. So oh yeah, I definitely want to play this.
Speaker 2: And like the real suggestion here underlying all this is what are they hiding here? Oh?
Speaker 4: Is there stuff like beyond like if I do do certain things in these games or like that first game, maybe that this is the case with all the games. But when you press a start button there's a console command thing, the er code like game Genie, and I'm like, how do I find those codes that do right? So it's like we might be having like a Fez like situation here as well, which where that actually doesn't always work on me.
Speaker 2: I don't always fall down those those pits.
Speaker 4: But it's like in this case, I think the setting is right to sort of catch me with that, and uh, I hope it does. And you know, I've already heard like some stuff and I'm not going to spoil it here, so I won' won't say anything. But it's like, oh, I want to play this game right now because I want to experience this self myself firsthand.
Speaker 2: It's very very people right to self too. Super UFO fifty.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, I wouldn't. I literally wouldn't be surprised. Although this game took like eight nine years, so maybe they want to do something different games.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I think we're exactly the same spot, Grub, and I'm so excited to play more that that's going to be a big plan game for me coming up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, Grub. You also.
Speaker 4: You previewed Flight sim Yeah, that's right, and I can talk about it here because it's coming out Monday. I played I went to the Grand Canyon. I flew a jet, a real jet. That was pretty wild. I was in a hum Vy tour at like six a m of the Grand Canyon and the guy was driving told us all about all the people who have ever died in the Grand Canyon.
Speaker 2: That was amazing.
Speaker 4: But then I played Flight similar to twenty twenty four, and I think it is definitely earning being a sequel. Like they, this is not just an update to twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: This is a new game.
Speaker 4: And the real big thing there is that there's a couple of things where I think technologically it does actually look improved. It especially looks improved whenever you are flying near ground level. It's like orders of magnitude more detailed, to the point where a lot of these challenges, these new challenge modes, they have in there, and here will be like fly a helicopter that goes and scoops up water from the ocean and you drop it on forest fires to put those fires out. Because now the forest looks so good, they want to take you closer to the ground. And then that leads into a lot of the Career mode, which is I think the most gamified Microsoft Flight simulator simulator has ever been. Now, they were coquick to say this is still a simulator, this is not a video game. But everyone, no matter who they were, what kind of player they were, they are asking for more stuff to do. This is us answering that. And everyone that was there at the event went to this mode first. For the most part, I actually went to the leaderboard chasing mode first, but everyone else went, Yes, everyone else went to the career mode first, because I think it's like people want to have some guidance, and it's this web of First you're gonna get your pilot's license, and then you're you're like your private pilot's license. Then you're gonna get your commercial pilot's license, and then you're gonna be able to take that and choose the next thing on this web and you'll have your choice of go and fly one of these helicopters that puts out fires, or go and fly an F eighteen, And so you'll be able to pick and choose, and it's mostly procedurally generated, but it's it does feel more guiding and like you have objectives so you can explore all these amazing things and all these incredible places that they've recreated with their what they call their digital twin of the planet Earth. And it's like, oh, this is a really good way I think to get in a lot more people into this game. And I was really impressed with what they did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because most people I know who well not I know a few like diehard fans of twenty twenty, but most people I know who dabbled in it.
Speaker 2: We're just doing it for like the tourism.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's literally one of the three groups that they mentioned were digital tourists, people who come to the game to see different parts of the world and like fly to Fiji right exactly around Disney World, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 4: We were visiting the Grand Canyon, and I spent a lot of time just like this is cool. I'm gonna I'm gonna fly around the Grand Canyon and we I took off from the Grand Canyon Airport and I'm like, oh, ship, that's literally the resort I'm at right now, and it looks completely photo realistic.
Speaker 2: It's really amazing.
Speaker 5: Fackler said the Grand Canyon was kind of lame and boring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it doesn't impress him.
Speaker 3: But sorry, So in real life you went to the Grand Canyon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they flew us out to the Grand Canyon. For when he says he flew a jet, he means.
Speaker 5: For real hardy, we say for shoot around here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my mistake. I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to fit in. I uh yeah, that was the serious vision jet fly a jet. So the Cyrus is a relatively newer They started in the nineties private plane manufacturer, and they have several planes in the game, and as part of that partnership, it's clear they also want to like show off their new were jet powered private plane, which is a like six seater small plane but with a fucking jet engine.
Speaker 2: We got We got in the.
Speaker 4: Plane and I'm sitting in the back seat because I didn't want to go in the pilot's seat first.
Speaker 2: I was getting in there.
Speaker 4: I'm like, okay, let's ae lst go up there, Charlie Hall from.
Speaker 2: From actually Charlie must have been here, and.
Speaker 4: He goes he takes the pilot seat first, next to the actual pilot that's there, and then he turned to Charlie license yeah, and then he's like, but do you want to take off? And Charlie took actually did the he did the stick. He wasn't doing the rudders and he wasn't doing the throttle, but he actually got us up in the air and he flew for a few minutes and then I got to take over and I got to do the big turn back towards the airport, and it was it was amazing, very cool. Before that's the first time I had my hands on the on a stick.
Speaker 2: So I'm assuming it was like a driver's ed car where the pilot could take over if you're about to.
Speaker 5: He could have could take the break that he could It is the teacher. It's just an eject.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, there are several cool things about this jet.
Speaker 4: One is there's a giant red button that anyone in the plane can reach that is a return to ground if the pilot dies, like if he has a heart attack. You hit this button and What it does is it doesn't like go back to your airport. It finds the nearest airport, creates a flight plan, tells the traffic control here's what's going on. I'm going to land the plane now automatically, and it just lands him. Now if the engine fails. There's another big thing you can pull that is a whole plane parachute A and they just about to say as a joke, it has it and it's like what we watched videos of it and it's like that looks incredibly. It just works. Apparently it's already saved like a lot of lives because they've been doing it for the first.
Speaker 3: Comes out of the whole plane and the whole caps, which.
Speaker 4: I want to say is I can't remember what that actually stands for, but it's yeah, caps, it's the parachute system that but the pea stance for parachute.
Speaker 2: Yes, it does. In the s Stanser system, it's like a cabin I don't automatic parachute system.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it shoots out so like for the prop propeller planes, it kind of shoots out the back, so at first it like is going nose down, but then it like does likely yea the triple dump for the jet. It actually comes out of both the front and the back and it just lands flat on the ground and it's incredible. But he had a stick on his right hand. I had the stick on my left hand, and you could see like for a little bit he's keeping his hand there in case. But then for a while he's like talking to the guys in the back, and I'm just flying the plane. The thing with these planes is, while they are mechanical, they're not fly by wire where a computer is like doing a lot of the work for you. If you get like if you would try to like actually make this plane, like to do a loopy loop or something like that, the plane just won't let you. It's basically impossible for someone to crash these planes.
Speaker 2: It was really cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would immediately if I got in this copilot seat. I turned the pilot, but like, I hope you brought your xanax and then try to do a barrel roll.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he tried to do a barrel and it's like it takes them that far and then it beeps at of me is like nope, in it like leveled it out.
Speaker 2: On Its really similar automation.
Speaker 5: And sailboats sound fucked up.
Speaker 2: Hey, Dan, you're you don't like flying? You want to fly a jet? I would do it?
Speaker 3: Would that I would help, like being in control of this control.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know what, because for me, it's like everyone that's afraid of flying it for the most part, seems to be because they're afraid that's gonna crash or something. It's like, I have the utmost faith in pilots and the technology, and it's like I've never once thought there's gonna be a crash or a terrorist incident.
Speaker 2: It's all this I fear of the panic attack.
Speaker 6: That's how I am with some of like the big rides I don't like, not afraid I'm gonna get for sure, but like playing fights somewilar twenty twenty, Like you know, I was like a little wary of planes, and I'm pretty good now. But I do think that that did help, like actually learning how airplanes, like a.
Speaker 2: Book about that.
Speaker 4: It is nice to know that. It's like, oh, that's that sound is probably this you know right exactly? Yeah, But the game itself is is really solid. I was playing with a hands on throttle and stick a HOTSS and Vinnie was there and he was playing with a yoke, so he was doing a lot of the big planes, and I was flying Fa teen's and stuff like that, and it's just it feels really good.
Speaker 2: You can dial it in uh where where like I did.
Speaker 4: I was doing the challenge with the Fa teen, flying really like near to the ground in the Grand Canyon, going through these gates, and at first I was crashing.
Speaker 2: A lot, and eventually I was on Mavericks shit.
Speaker 4: It was top gun Mavericks shit, and I just got to a point where it was like I got through this hole. Do you attack the enemy base? I attacked the enemy base targeting turn off. I did like, I did that cool like air drift and stuff on a couple of turns. I felt very cool.
Speaker 2: Everybody looks over at Grub and he's doing that the ten geest.
Speaker 4: I was like, yeah, Eric Greenberg did walk behind me, and I was like being very like I was gesticulating a lot. It's like, damn Grub, and I'm like, that's right, fucking stand back, Aaron Greenberg, Dude.
Speaker 2: Did you talk?
Speaker 6: Did did you and Aaron Greenberg talk about me? I sat next to him at games Can We didn't, but we did everything. We did joke about him throwing me off a cliff, so that was fine.
Speaker 5: Yeah, our crazy stunt like game press events back because between you're just the middle.
Speaker 2: It's like some classic O seven three sixth era shit.
Speaker 5: Uh me and Jan are doing some crazy shit next week, like trips that sound very Surrey and fun separate trips to yeah, very separate different things.
Speaker 2: But like, I don't think I know what Jan's doing at the time.
Speaker 5: And it's weird. Yeah, I put the medal your man. Are we doing this again?
Speaker 4: I could does feel it feels. So I think what's happening is is these companies realize. So the way this one worked is we were there for the press day and there was a foreign press day of the day before, and then the day after was going to be the influencers.
Speaker 2: So I think they're like, we can get our money's.
Speaker 4: Worth by doing all of them in one event, back to back to back, and it's like, this is actually not worth it again, So.
Speaker 2: I wonder who they like the most. One will day is their favorite?
Speaker 4: Well, I bet the people that like pay for all like the influencers the best, and I bet the people who run.
Speaker 2: It like us the best. Just the old guy media people. Yeah, exactly, yeah, nodding vigorously. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But what's we talked about? Summary movies? What's the best plane movie ever? Real quick?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Is the Air Force one? You think it's conn air A decision?
Speaker 1: I mean vy based on Airplane Man Executive air Passenger fifty seven is really good, awesome.
Speaker 3: I think I min as Air Force one.
Speaker 5: Watched Air Force one about three years ago, and I was a little disappointed because, like I forgot how often they're going down to like here's Glenn Close, the vice president, talking about politics, like no, just have the ass kicking president out there.
Speaker 1: Being, you know, president played by Harrison Ford. It's finally very good. Finally ejects the terrorist vice president basically in the form of Gary Oldman off his plane by punching the parachute button on his chest.
Speaker 2: He says, I did love Air Force. He says, is get off my get.
Speaker 4: I know it's very good, but I decisions underrated exacut decision. Kurt Russell John leg doesn't say that is I'm very patriotic for me. Of course, I think the rocket rocket is an airplane. It's there's a lot of airplanes in that movie.
Speaker 3: That's That's another really good closing line from Harrison Ford.
Speaker 2: Is in knowledge is their treasure?
Speaker 3: No clear and present danger at the very end, have you seen clar and present danger?
Speaker 6: Yes, I've seen clear present danger. That's my favorite hacking scene. Dan, You've got me with that idiote.
Speaker 1: He says that this guy says like the President says to Harrison Ford. He's basically trying to encourage Harrison Ford to play along with this cover up, and he says, it's the old Potomac two step. It's just how we do things, like I'm sorry, mister President, I don't dance, and then he leaves the Oval office.
Speaker 2: Pretty good.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it's clear President Danger better than Patriot Games. Actually, Picture Games is the one about the Irish the IRA.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Richard Harris plays the famous IRA leader and then Sean Bean is the villain and Harrison Ford.
Speaker 2: Harris Hunt for the Red October. Hunt for the October is by far the best.
Speaker 1: My family, my siblings and I argue about whether Hunt for Red October, Clear and Present Danger or Patriot Games is better.
Speaker 2: They're all, what, yeah, what about some of some of all fears? If people do not care about that one anymore that's not there when it came out. Yeah, it's that character still, right.
Speaker 4: What about the Chris Pine Jack Ryan one or the gym from the Office Jack Bryan.
Speaker 2: Hey, that that first season was pretty good man.
Speaker 1: That Harrison So the Harrison Ford episode of Conan O'Brien podcast was really good.
Speaker 2: Very we're always amazing together.
Speaker 4: I adore con Air, so I think I might actually I put the Body of the bed. It feels like the most me movie ever.
Speaker 5: But it was sandwiched between The Rock and Face Off, and I was obsessed with the Rock and face Off and Connor. I just liked, you know, I didn't like Conye. Wow, it's a lot of I love Connor is a lot of funders. I would say, if we're writing out of ten, the Rock and face Off are both tens. Conye is an eight point five. Were's gone to sixty seconds. I'm not a car guy, so I never really cared about that one.
Speaker 2: Wow. Well, but oh it's so fun. Oh I think a movie is so fun that a car guy. I like that movie.
Speaker 6: If I'd say a Rocketeer, if you don't let me have Rocketeer, then I'll say pop Gun.
Speaker 4: Maverick Airplane's pretty good.
Speaker 1: I do enjoy the airplane in Au and it's always sunny. The Gang Beats Bogs episode you have me watch. They're they're just referencing all these movies because they're like Mac and Charlie Like. If there's anything that movies like Past your fifty seven executive Decision have taught me is that there's a hatch I can access to let me freely navigate the bowels of the play.
Speaker 2: I'll even say Doctor two.
Speaker 5: I know Diehard two isn't beloved, but Dieheard two does some fun playing stuff.
Speaker 1: Can I admit I forgot about I've seen Doc Doc one I think ten times. I have never I've seen Living Here. Diehard I have never seen any other time Hard movie.
Speaker 4: Is incredible. What I heard with the Vengeance is incredible. Mike, you take all the noises he wants.
Speaker 2: It's awesome.
Speaker 6: Di Diar two, die Harder Dire Vengeance is the third one, and then heard I am admittedly definitely more down on that than like ninety percent of people.
Speaker 4: I go one for three, two and I haven't seen five. Best you want four two, three, five is one of the worst movies.
Speaker 5: That's what I heard Tim Terry say and Tim is a huge diehard mark, so I was like, if Tim says that, I don't heard?
Speaker 2: No, that was a good another day, good day to die heard. I heard another another Day, which is James Bond. Yeah, yeah, that's an okay Bond movie.
Speaker 4: Nos, the Invisible Car and the Laser and it has.
Speaker 3: Come back to life with diamond skin.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Movie stupid in a way that I like. Yeah, best train movie. Sorry, let's.
Speaker 4: Like Unstoppable Lot under Siege too, I have I'm gonna watch Understage two. I Understage one is actually my number one guilty pleasure.
Speaker 2: I've never seen one.
Speaker 4: I've only seen Love under Siege one. I watched that like twenty times.
Speaker 2: I love it. I've been meaning to rewatch snow Piercer recently. That one probably the best. What is it? Trained to Busan is the one? Really got the same director?
Speaker 3: Oh wait, we forgot about the plane one done two train movies?
Speaker 2: What's that? Bong Joote? Ho? Has he Trained to Busan? Snow Piercer too? Right? Yeah? Yeah he ban?
Speaker 4: Yeah, trains are great in movie Train to Busan?
Speaker 2: Why did I think? No? He did not? Oh did you see Source Code? Yes? That movie? That's good. Rules I love Faculus in it. It's the voice of the father.
Speaker 4: Yes, we forgot when we're talking about planes about money playing with Kelsey Grammar and Alex.
Speaker 2: Gonna bring it up an alligator. We also forgot airplane no planes like yes, source code unstoppable. What do you guys think about Bullet Train saying it? Yeah, there speak of a bond.
Speaker 1: That dude in Bullet Train is rumored to be the next bond or he I mean, there's the new person.
Speaker 4: Divorce from was like his wife and stuff that was apparently like a cradle robbers. She's like much older and like was his manager and stuff, and people are very happy for him. I know way too much about this guy.
Speaker 2: Can't remember something.
Speaker 4: Taylor Johnson or yeah, Aaron Tarolaylor Johnson he played Quicksilver in The Avengers too, or but he.
Speaker 2: Was also in Bullet Train. But there he's like Count Dumbo. Why not Casey Jr. Is very prominent in a Casey Junior's coming round.
Speaker 4: You're saying this in the Germany Travel money Train with Wesley Snipes and Woody Harrelson.
Speaker 2: Why is there a money train and a money plane? Money everything automobile? So good?
Speaker 6: Oh sure, But that's everything. That's why it's so good. I did not see Murder on the Orient Express. New one for Sunrise only has the beginning of the movies on trains.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I cared that what Bond was it was it Specter that had a big, a big second day stopped good trains? I had a train.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh yeah, that's opening the opening, the opening action sequence on the train. I think that was Specter that was I do not like the poor Express. I find it very upsetting. I do not like that weird motion capture express. Really, it's gross. The train scene in studio or in one of the best place to train. It's just not quite prominent enough train movie.
Speaker 2: But boy, there should be more train movies. I agree.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Your favorite caring levels in video games rule the end of Gears War One, the end of a Chartered two, and Charted Lost. Like, even though it's disappointing, Hitman's train level. I just liked that I was on a train, so.
Speaker 2: I gave it a lot. But I was excited I was on a tree.
Speaker 1: Ye, wish they were Times Splitter's Future Perfect had a train level as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Trophies, the Times Splitters PlayStation. I'm about to be on a shoot bullet train for the first time soon.
Speaker 2: And I wonder where you're going. Is that not a concept that is in many places there's speed trains.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I'm gonna be on a high speed train. Could be I'm going to Denmark, but I'm very excited.
Speaker 2: Denmark should be the second place to get Is there only one bullet train?
Speaker 4: I think there's one that's referred to as the bullet train. Okay, we'll try to figure it out. I'm doing Yeah, I'll never tell. Yeah, I'm very excited though, because trains are cool as well.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna ask for favorite car is.
Speaker 2: I'm going to ask if they are in multiple places. I'm starting not very many, but they are. I'm in one of these. I'm in one of the like under you're going to Saudi Arabia fandom. Yeah. Yeah, I'm not.
Speaker 1: Gonna ask what your favorite car movie is. I'm gonna ask is there a better car movie than Mad Max, Fury Road or Versus Ferrari is like an ultimate dad movie?
Speaker 4: And I'm not even a dad, but I never feel more like a dad than when I'm watching Correct Drive.
Speaker 1: Week drives. Okay, this is, like, dude, really a hot take. I hated that, Okay, I loved it when I first saw it. I watched it all the time. I'm the exact demographic. I'm sure you're not surprised I liked it. I rewatched it like two years ago. My wife saw it for the first time, and maybe it was because I was seeing it through her eyes for the first time. That movie is a bit cringey now really, yeah, I bet, I bet it's tough.
Speaker 3: So many of the scenes are just.
Speaker 1: Is it Carrie Fisher, Kerry Mulligan and Ryan Gosling staring at each other? And then I think that soundtrack has become so like has been so many times the real yeah.
Speaker 2: Point.
Speaker 3: But we rewatched Baby Driver a few weeks ago.
Speaker 2: I hated that. I hate it. Baby Driver is amazing. I loved it this time. I don't like that.
Speaker 3: I was on board for what it was doing, the energy, the fucking just like you do.
Speaker 2: Have to get on board.
Speaker 5: Just trying to show off is like who's my playlist. It's like a guy at a party who's like, check out my music, based you know, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: I generally don't like anse Algre but the movie you just was so.
Speaker 2: Can like that I couldn't help. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I like Rush the not for for versus far the other racing movie about like the Australian guy and the German guy. Yeah, Rush is is a really good racing movie.
Speaker 2: I'll just say again.
Speaker 6: I do like Gone sixty Seconds a lot past and Furious obviously speed Racer.
Speaker 2: Speed Racer is actually probably the best.
Speaker 6: That's one that I haven't seen that I bet I would love. I never saw either of the Italian Jobs, and I know those are well, but like the Italian Job, death Proof is kind of fun.
Speaker 4: Actually. My favorite car movie is Tucker the Man in His Dream with Jeff Bridges, about the Tucker Car company that was in Chicago and they like how the Detroit automakers like shut it down. It's yeah, Francis Port Copla very much, dad movie. Anytime it was on TV, I would watch it, and yeah, I love Tucker where it's like, yeah, oh I see it's on where it's like I will sometimes be like I'm gonna go watch that on my Plex and just put on Tucker and what that would be my night?
Speaker 2: Did anybody see the Ferrari movie? Yeah, yeah, it's good. It's good. Oh, it's I haven't like Michael Good. It's a bit weird.
Speaker 6: It has like it's mostly just a drama with like sudden bursts of extreme violence.
Speaker 4: Oh there's one part where it's like, oh my god, Okay, that was a shocking, pretty shocking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well grand Turismo overall, how how would you forget? Yeah? I should have made that joke about Aaron Paul's need for seed.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I love Drive Angry that Nicolas Marty's probably right, it's probably, it's actually probably.
Speaker 2: I was gonna watch Furiosa on a plane recently. I didn't watch Good was.
Speaker 1: Seven, and there was h every once in a while I had to like look around to make sure people weren't looking at my screen.
Speaker 2: I love seven.
Speaker 6: Oh it's awesome. It's just like there's some very ships airplane. Like that's not like generally my thing, like a seven, right, like kind of like uh, but like I like seven, I get it, sevens of nine. It's like the five of seven you gave, don't Yeah, my favorite rating skill.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there there's a there's probably more cars. Cars. Oh, cars.
Speaker 6: Cars one's five, Cars two is terrible, Cars three surprisingly fine. Cars two is just Uh, it's a spy movie starring the comedic sidekick for the last movie, who, as a dupest comedic sidekick, is incapable of character growth, so like he's.
Speaker 2: Just kind of stumbling through situates.
Speaker 4: It's a bad It's like a whole episode of Mister Magoo. But that's a future show. It really is.
Speaker 2: It's like I like the live action this too Magoo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, way, all right, you guys want to do emails? Oh sure, sure, I guess so, yeah, okay. As always, you can write into firescape cast at gmail dot com. There is fire Escape Cast at gmail dot com, but he questions, comments, concerns, corrections for Dan and Mary.
Speaker 2: Uh. I don't ever need corrections, so don't worry about that.
Speaker 5: But if you want tolkoto on Twitter, just send in that one.
Speaker 4: Yes, the ones from a hearty send to Mike Manatti.
Speaker 1: Yes you can sending questions we've read on air we have tonight. The first is from Katie from Knoxville High fire Escapators. I love listening to you all every couple of weeks. I've recently been playing Kingdom Hearts two again. I'm fascinated by the story, but have a hard time piecing it together after bits of combat. I tend to forget once I'm actively playing replay. The game was spurred by Snowbike mic from Kind of Funny and his Kingdom Hearts playthroughs. I've started looking into books that explain the Lord because I tend to remember more about a story if I read it. So my question is, has a story from a series or franchise ever intrigued you so much that you want to inhale as much of the lore as possible. Also, I guess this would be more for Minati, but they didn't say that specifically. But also, if you have rex for good reading material for Kingdom Hearts, I'm here for it again.
Speaker 2: Love you guys.
Speaker 3: That is Katie from Knoxville.
Speaker 6: Huh So, in terms of reading material for for Kingdom Hearts, there is like a manga version of I think most of the games or manga excuse me, so, uh, I was gonna set that upting Everybody yet a triple dump. So you know, if you play, if you read that, you kind of take it at its own pace and it's a little bit different. So that's fun funny. They brought up that snow Bike Mike extreme because it is it's good funny.
Speaker 4: If you want to get into the lore, just go watch one of the incredibly long YouTube videos ones.
Speaker 6: That also like do explain the lore, but they're very funny too, So those are those are a good way of doing it. Yeah, I get get a little bit into the lore of some things. I mean, even still, even though I love Lord of the Rings and know a lot of it, there are some very good Lord of the Rings lord channels and the Lord there goes so deep right into things that like you know, are more in the summer, really in and whatnot. So I love those little lore videos about middle or still. But I did like a few for Elden Ring when when that was happening. I know, some of those were very popular, super deep in there. Yeah, yeah, I was gonna say from Software.
Speaker 1: I mean it's also a result of how from Software tells their stories. They they intentionally are obfuscating most of it and then drift feeding in items and just like passing conversations. But yeah, there's there's vati video does really stuff. And then two more way back in the day turned me onto uh, who was the one that does the bloodborn?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: I don't know, I'll find it, but there's there's Yeah, I think it's Batividia okay, but yeah, from software I got really obsessed with. The obvious answer is like I wasn't into Warhammer until I played Total War Warhammer two.
Speaker 3: I didn't play the first.
Speaker 1: I demoed the first game for a preview for game Spot and that I had never played a Total War before, embarrassed myself, and then played two, and then at that point went back to the historical games. But that's what got me into Warhammer Fantasy because I'm seeing every unit from the tabletop game in their digital form.
Speaker 2: But they got you into Warhammer and Total War Yes, wow, Yeah, the potent. Yeah, there's a reason that.
Speaker 1: That's like all I talk and think about sometimes, because both of those things are pretty complex things to dive into.
Speaker 2: Talking about it. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know what I was thinking. I just kind of I usually keep my interest to myself and don't rave about them.
Speaker 4: I can.
Speaker 2: I can help you out though. The Lawer's not that confusing. And Kingdom hearts too.
Speaker 6: You know when when Sora stabbed himself with Riku's key blade in Hollow Bastion uh and released his heartless that also simultaneously created his nobody Roxis.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 6: So then Roxis kind of woke up on his own and ended up joining Organization thirteen, whose goal was to assemble Kingdom Hearts so that they could find their own hearts, because because they didn't have any.
Speaker 2: To be clear, heartless have hearts. Nobodies don't have much.
Speaker 4: Too.
Speaker 1: Begins with your Roxis and you're in You're in this like Bizarro sun drenched town and you're eating these.
Speaker 6: Blue popsicles, and it turns out you're in a computer simulation of Mike.
Speaker 5: Listen, you have three sentences sum up the trilogy of Kingdom Hearts. Uh, the power of friendship wins.
Speaker 2: I only need one. Roxis is Sora with an X true? Is that like evil Sora? No, not evil? The fact he's pretty cool. We like rocks. Max is good. I have very fond memories of Kingdom.
Speaker 4: That is so man Honestly, Marty, It's been so long since I've talked to somebody, and I still like Cam who likes king I spell.
Speaker 1: Rock six again r O x A s I Kingdom Hearts one and two I had I my fevorite.
Speaker 2: I never played three. Three is fun. It's it's a little easy, and the story does get very stupid.
Speaker 6: Wars no stars will probably be Yeah, in the one that trailers they show like for a second, what looks like endors, So it'll probably before King two is definitely just one of my favorite games ever.
Speaker 2: I actually legitimately love it.
Speaker 1: What's Kingdom Hearts one gets going? It's phenomenal. Also, I still listen to Traverstown music everyone.
Speaker 6: So those soundtracks, Like even Jeff will have to give respect to the soundtracks because you love Memora.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know, I write that it's a really good soundtrack. I like the lote.
Speaker 4: I just didn't enjoy playing that game composed. I got frustrated very often.
Speaker 5: Mahardy, have you hidden this for this long that I had no idea you'd even played Kingdom.
Speaker 1: Hert I contain multitudes and you don't I know that told you know that talking he's like talking about experimenting with Krack in college.
Speaker 2: What It makes me a little consplained.
Speaker 4: What but yeah, I've never heard. You've made some very popular series. Lots of people have played Kingdom Heart. It doesn't make it okay.
Speaker 5: There is a fervor among Kingdom Hearts fans that I look I get being a big fan of a franchise and stuff, But I have been in the same room as people when like a new Kingdom Hearts trailer is announced.
Speaker 2: Their reaction to it.
Speaker 3: Is like, it's not like this who doesn't Reddit?
Speaker 2: Is not like.
Speaker 4: I understand excitement. I've certainly make if you showed a new metal gear or something. I've been oh ship, that's Naiomi, that's this, Oh my god, Righting's got this or whatever. But I have seen people have like, uh reactions that are religious experiences.
Speaker 5: Way beyond like I cried the Twilight Princess did those type of reactions.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm not at that level.
Speaker 1: I just really for a while I had a Kingdom Hearts, like Kingdom Hearts one and two, especially one I I think I've played three times.
Speaker 2: I really enjoyed it. What is it?
Speaker 5: You're not a Disney guy? What's your deal here?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Good ACTIONPG is once once they get out of their own way and they stop stopping the game every ten minutes for a cutscene, they the action gets pretty satisfying. The like actual like building out your your party is fun. The boss battles, the scale and the scope are really impressive.
Speaker 2: In your team. The game like has a really good sense of like atmosphere everywhere you go.
Speaker 4: And I don't matter Prime, I'm sure. Yeah, it's the prime of Yeah Action RP Withcdonald Duck. And then I'm not like a.
Speaker 1: Diehard of them. But Kingdom Heart's one. I for a while, I think I considered one of my favorite games, but I'm not.
Speaker 3: I don't know, it's weird. I'm not a Kingdom Hearts person.
Speaker 2: I understand. I mean, look it definitely.
Speaker 6: I understand people fell off after two when it was like five spin offs that like you thought you didn't have to play because they didn't have the number three on there. It turns yeah, then it turns out that they're all super integral to the story. And the story kept getting more and more complicated with dream drop Distance, introduced time travel. It was kind of a oh, come on in year twelve, I played it like a pretty early three DS game, Yeah, Drop D Yeah, three D's the three Dumps.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I can't relate to lower video games getting more complicated as it goes on. Anyway, my answer to this question is Meddle, You're solid. That is the only answer to this question. Even Zelda would is part of like my holy turn of the is Mario Zelda Middle Gear. People talk about, oh so you Zelda time. Yeah, I know, uh, like the underground bands, like.
Speaker 2: The beatle.
Speaker 3: Making games and we don't talk about this enough. Nintendo.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Nintendo makes some good ones. Yeah so, but like Zella, I don't give a shit about the lore. I've never cared. I've never carried this link to gamesless and I don't think of any of these I care about the Lord.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 5: The only one is Metal Gear, and that's the one where it's like, oh, there's like a little book in the first one that in the darkness of Shadow Moses And I'm gonna read every word of this. I'm gonna read like breakdowns of like I've beaten Meddle Year Saw too so many times by the time I read this like Junker HQ thing, which is like a whole thing about the symbolism and what this game meant to be, Like, oh my god, this is like blowing my mind what this is actually doing.
Speaker 2: Middle Year.
Speaker 5: I want to go all the way in on all the time, uh and literally with nothing else, although war hammers tickling something with me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, warmers, the maybe closer much?
Speaker 6: How much do you love just like that timeline at the end of the middle yourself four? Right, Oh there's the one.
Speaker 5: There was a separate app you could download on the PS three that was just a timeline that you could just go around and then see like, okay this one Osla did this and oh it's the best shit.
Speaker 2: Jeff. Have you ever cared about Lawer outside of Star Wars for anything? No?
Speaker 4: Not?
Speaker 2: I mean I like, I.
Speaker 4: Played Armored Course six and that didn't make me care about I really like the story in that game. I know a lot of people like dismiss it, but I think it's incredible, really good storytelling.
Speaker 2: I thought it was really right at my alley.
Speaker 4: And a lot of that is like I always think about that moment where it's like you get hired to do a mission and then you go down a corridor and then all the invisible people that hired you to do the mission actually attack you instead, and it's like, oh that rules, and then you have to like six that the battle against them. You have to fight your way out of that corridor, and I'm like, this is good ship. And then that made me really want to be like, understand, what's going on that story. But that led me to like, I think I'm gonna watch Gundam I do that sort of thing. I and then like, not lore, this is just history. But Forgotten City and Pentiment both made be like interested more in like history, what.
Speaker 5: About uh fucking Golden Idol and stuff like that where you have to kind of learn the lore of the game. It's not a historical thing, but like you have to know like this family history.
Speaker 4: Because that's like anything where it's like that's that's also like Pentiment and stuff like that, any game where it's like the the ongoings of the world are part of how you need to think about the game to understand the mechanics.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: Fuck am I blanking on the murder mystery on the ship?
Speaker 2: Oh you Overden? Yeah, yeah, twelve minutes has come up the last three episodes in a row, and it's always stories. Tells me that all the time. That's my thing.
Speaker 1: Well, I had something else, uh just another related No, another game came to mind that the lore I got into.
Speaker 6: I used to care. I used to kind of care about warcraft lore for a bit there. Then Shadowlands jump jumped the ship so much. Although I've been enjoying the war within story, so maybe I'll be back we.
Speaker 3: Speaking of the war within.
Speaker 1: Oddly enough, Warframe had an expansion of the war Within, which is what got me into Warframe lore and Warframe like Warframe puts much of its lower front and center. However, there's a lot that's kind of hidden around in like little codexes and what and whatnot, Like I like fourteen's lore, but it's so extensively covered in the game that I don't need outside material.
Speaker 3: For Actually, Dan, I don't know if we talked about this. Warframe.
Speaker 1: Much of its lower can be traced back to an event Horizon type incident on a spaceship where a bunch of kids were the only survivors of this. They basically encountered hell and then they came back and were able to control No, these kids came back and they were the only ones that control these like Assassin Robot ninjas.
Speaker 2: Okay, Warframes, that's pretty cool. Kirby's dream course. I like the lore in that. Yeah, explain it.
Speaker 4: You go in the whole hole, talk again, talk Actually, I am like going back and forth in my top one hundred. I always like the suggestion of the lore of Castlevania where it's like all these acolytes are bringing back Dracula and now sometimes they're doing it in the near future, and that's why my character has a handgun.
Speaker 2: That's where I'm a.
Speaker 5: Vibe though it's like I don't know fucking Castlevania Metroid style like and it's I don't know what the is happening to any of them other Oh no Dracula, right, But but.
Speaker 4: An's something to start talking about that stuff. It's contributing to that vibe, which is where I like my lord to be.
Speaker 6: I do, like like in Portrait of ruein like the one character from like Casavia, Budlines on the Genesis shows up and the form God that's kind.
Speaker 4: Of Neat's exactly, it's kind of neat. That's that's as much as a card I think. Yeah, I think for me a lot of times, Lore just feels like it gets in the way of what I want from a video game, you know. And I see METROI dread, and I liked a lot of the payoff of the ongoing low in that game was really good actually, But.
Speaker 5: Also there's stuff like Mario where it's like there's almost no time given to like Lore or anything. But like, because there's just so many fucking games and so many fucking characters that like you have to kind of create your own weird lore of like oh wait, we saw Mario's parents in Yoshi's Island and then uh, okay, so.
Speaker 2: Deal, what's that? Yeah, but he's actually from Brooklyn.
Speaker 6: And then the wildest thing is Mario Galaxy two not being a storyline sequel to Mario Galaxy one and instead is like maybe a reboot, except that it has so little regard for the story mark Kalaxi one.
Speaker 2: I think calling it a reboot is even generous.
Speaker 5: It's more of a cast of characters and enemies and locations, and like, I just kind of like that.
Speaker 4: There's like every other Mario games, like we will go into the new neighboring Kingdom, and there's been twenty of them at this point.
Speaker 6: Like now Brothership is like the Kingdom. Worry Body is an electrical outlet.
Speaker 5: I don't know, fuck you, I care more about whether the Koopa Ling's are about kids. Uh, that would do like anything that's ever happened in the Last of Us.
Speaker 4: You know, I like a game where it's like I'm like shocked to learn something's been happening the whole time, like Trials Evolution I think it was, or Transfusion.
Speaker 2: Was the robot one? Yeah, right, it's like, wait, what what are the robots? The robot trying to fuck me? What's happening? The portal was like that where you didn't really think lower story.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that is part of the overall lore of those games. Yeah, that's a good example.
Speaker 1: I'll thank you, Katie. Dan, you want to read this one from Brad? Yes, it's also about Kingdom Marts.
Speaker 2: Yes it is not.
Speaker 5: Hey, Gang, I know you'all also experience photic sneeze reflex, where bright light can trigger a sneeze. But did you know that it's also called autosommal dominant compelling helio ophthalmolic outburst syndrome.
Speaker 4: Short Castlevania collection actually shortened is a che syndrome. Have you ever had a really good or really bad timing for a sneeze? Slash burp slash fart Brad and Phoenix, I had not heard of this until Dan, you told me about it when we were in London.
Speaker 2: Well all yeah, Marry and me.
Speaker 1: Also, it's it doesn't sound as strong with me, like it only works like sixty percent of the time, but.
Speaker 5: Every fucking time, And then when I explain it to someone that doesn't have it, they think I'm bullshitting them. But it is like I am walking from a store at two pm into the parking lot and the sun is shining down like I'm going to sneeze like crazy, like box the end of the million times, and even like indoor lights and stuff can do it. But yeah, I think it's like a third of the population has the gene. But maybe there's different, you know, severities of it. But I super fucking have it. But am I only one on here that No?
Speaker 4: I do too?
Speaker 2: I don't have it. Wait, Grub, you have it, and no I do not.
Speaker 4: You do not?
Speaker 2: My hearty does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me, you and Mary have talked about all having it, but it sounds like you have it more. Sometimes if I need to sneeze and I it's like I can feel the snee going away, I can look at like a light bulb and it will trigger it.
Speaker 4: No, that'll totally work. But like, if I need it, I'll walk over to this door and I'll look up at the sun and just up there it is. Yeah, that would be the funniest thing to trigger sneezing. Okay, wait, now let's go down this path here. Yeah, what would be the funny thing that would trigger coming or farting?
Speaker 2: Sneezing? You sneeze and you come every time.
Speaker 4: It's like, what do you take for that?
Speaker 2: Pepper?
Speaker 4: Yeah? You still that boting sneeze reflects by walking to a parking lot and sneeze coming.
Speaker 2: What's the what's the medaceine for that?
Speaker 4: I walk in the parking lot, I look up the sun every ten minutes, sneeze.
Speaker 7: Come, Holy ship, I mean, yeah, just be awesome. That makes me feel I'm taking pepper.
Speaker 3: That's just what like g spot orgasms feel like.
Speaker 2: Parking lot, like t J Max. Like every every time you get the check, you sneeze or something I don't know what.
Speaker 5: Would be super inconvenient, like an email hands What did you say, Manati? You said something like when you get you get to check check, get the check all right, that is a good one, or a receipt like somebody.
Speaker 3: Will you that you'll never get a second date ever.
Speaker 4: Any So it says that was a really nice time and then boom. Every time a dog barks.
Speaker 2: Anywhere in the world, whether you can hear it or not. The dog parks the dogs because you go forever incoming sneeze.
Speaker 4: Whenever Memoto says, please be excited, that's when direct when they snapped.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anytime you see a dead body to Wakes would be sure you're already come.
Speaker 3: On hot, any weake you're at you sneeze, come far?
Speaker 5: God wait, why didn't you turn into snooze coming party every time?
Speaker 2: Because you mentioned it? I thought it was you.
Speaker 3: They did that, you did, I'll have to be that. Okay, Okay, well.
Speaker 2: Ideally you're right, it wouldn't be that. Yeah, I don't want that. No, God, what would that? I feel like you would if Okay, actually, scientifically speaking, I think if you sneezed and came and farted at the same time, you're not farting ninety percent the time. You're also shipping your pants. If you're doing those two other things, you're not.
Speaker 4: Gonna vale every time left every time you hear a car honk, and you live in.
Speaker 2: New York City, no iron thing about being wearing diapers. All the honking.
Speaker 6: I'm like, I heard more honking today than like I have ever honked in my life. I could never anxiety because we'd even think about honking at somebody.
Speaker 4: No way, you guys, You guys don't understand, because there was this is a thing like those honk if your horny things on the back of cars where it was like they're doing that. So when you honk it them if you're mad, it's like, oh, I'm saying I'm horny Instead, it's like you.
Speaker 2: Got get the current. I never put that together. That either me quite a bit to realize that.
Speaker 5: I guess I never stopped and thought about because it would be weird to just be like, tell me your horny with your car right like, and.
Speaker 4: If there's a whole bunch of them like honk if you you know, think kittens are cool and like for whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. Yes.
Speaker 4: So it's like you can't honk at me if you're mad at me, because then you're saying this, you're just being a weirdo saying your horny in your car right exactly. Yes, So it's like a damn.
Speaker 3: I don't think I put that together either.
Speaker 2: That took me a while.
Speaker 4: Yes, if you want to leave your friends behind on friends don't dance and they don't dance in there. No friends of mine, thank you, you're welcome, and if that anyone thinks that, then you come to Sneezing far.
Speaker 2: If you want to leave your friends behind or not, it's gonna happen. What if it was?
Speaker 1: Uh, every time you make a donation that triggers that. So imagine like your friend's trying to get your friends trying to get you to donate to like a good cause, and you're like, I can't explain.
Speaker 2: Why, but harassment. Sorry, do you want to round up your total? Today? The feed starving kidney?
Speaker 3: And then you accidentally press yes, and then just like every time the.
Speaker 5: Please silence your cell phone thing comes on before a movie.
Speaker 2: Just rip shred ass to ask a question? Oh yeah, was a question?
Speaker 4: Oh have you ever had really good or really bad timing for Sneeze Bird Bart we talked about in the last episode.
Speaker 1: My airplane fart was pretty It would have been embarrassing if I get if I like had that bone in my body. But also people were asleep. I don't need to retell. Well, I guess Jeff and Mike weren't here. I was falling asleep in my seat, you know, like how but I didn't have a pillow or anything, and it was in an aisle seat. My head bobbed really hard and woke me up and I farted as I jolted awake eye. It was on a red eye and I looked around and everybody was sleeping or had headphones and except.
Speaker 4: For one loud enough yeah it's probably gonna get It was loud fart though, and like only was one person flight. Yeah, my best part in my life was me waking up. We were at my brother's apartment. My other brother was already up and we already like do jokes where you know. So in Final Fantasy, the spell levels.
Speaker 6: There's fire, there's fira, and there's fart and farta and fartaga. But no one had no one would ever day think that we would dare claim was a fartaga never came close.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of farta's. So you held out of that. You made you made a count right like yah. Yeah.
Speaker 6: But so like that morning though, like I just woke up, like I let one rip. It woke people up in the next room.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I remember brother he just looked at me and I had the biggest grin on my face, like it was like you know, without saying it was like that was it that was we did it everybody.
Speaker 1: Mary, Jake, and I were in the guest room at Dan's house for a game of her last year and I woke up at like seven am and was holding them in for a bit and I was in the bottom bunk. I was like, I don't I don't care, and I started ripping ass. Jake and Mary were both laughing. I think it was uh directly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been doing a lot of long parts lately, like those are like eight seconds.
Speaker 3: I'm getting I'm getting better at them.
Speaker 4: Good sphincter control, Yeah, yeah, I got I got good spink control.
Speaker 6: That is a pretty good one. And I don't know because of COVID or the COVID medicine that was really letting.
Speaker 2: Them rip there for a bit. Yeah, that that packs Vid will do. That is good. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, you think Bill Gates putting the shot into your sphincter?
Speaker 4: Uh huh, Bill controls the sphincters.
Speaker 5: I promise the story ends with parts my dad equally brings up. There have been a lot of times my dad and I have drunk together and we've both gotten very drunk, and frequently one of us got drunker than the other. This is one where he came to pick me up from a thing and he was relatively sober. It was my tenure her high school reunion. I went back to Kansas City and I just, you know, I wasn't super social in high school, so it's like I was just kind of curious to see what everyone's up to, and like no other people actually Anyway, I got really drunk and my dad came to pick me up at the Kansas City Power and Light District and uh, as he's like helping me out. I'm in full blown. This is twenty twelve. I'm just drunk as shit. He says, we're oh, yeah, we're We're walking down the sidewalk in Kansas City, and I guess it was just one thing after another of him thinking I was gonna get us killed. There was like, I guess, a biker dude that was walking like in an alley that had like tattoos all over his head and face and everything and a leather like cut and all that, and I guess my dad's like kind of like helped me walk by him, and I just point in the guy's face.
Speaker 2: And I go, you're tough.
Speaker 5: Then we kept going, like the next block there was a girl on her cell phone talking and she was like clear, like she's like having like a screaming contest with like a boyfriend or an next boyfriend. And I guess I was just like it's fine, It'll all be fine, until she like turn it around, was like shut the fuck up. So it was just like one thing after another of my dad being like, you're going to get us fucking killed, and so you wind up there's a picture of me from this night, just like past the fuck out in his back seat, and he had to give.
Speaker 2: Me tell these stories because you don't remember this night, right.
Speaker 5: I wasn't like fully blacked out or anything, but I was drunker than I've been in many many years. I don't drink that much these days. And we get back to we went to a bar and we met up to a girl he had just started dating at this time, this woman, and like this, I'd heard about this one for a while, even dating her for a few weeks. And we met at the Red Balloon, this bar that my mom and dad met at, and I guess I was just so fucked up that it was like, Okay, we got to get him out of here. And they like kind of brought me back to the car, take it back back to Dad's place, and then to get They just want to get me inside and throw me on a couch, so I just pass out.
Speaker 2: And so it's me in the.
Speaker 5: Center, arms around Dad here, we got his uh is new lady here, and we're walking up like there's like, you know, twelve to fifteen steps going up to his place. And he said, every single step I've heard it.
Speaker 2: He said it was like yeah, oh yeah, he said.
Speaker 4: He remembers thinking it was the funniest fucking thing in the world. But he didn't want to laugh because he just started dating. So he's like, God, damn it, this is so funny. I can't be laughing at us. Here's my son. Oh yeah, that's credit. It's beautiful.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I never, yeah, I got. I've got pretty drunk. I never got blackout drunk. I never.
Speaker 6: I don't know if that's a thing. It's time I remember, like waking up, be like I don't even know what happened.
Speaker 5: Then it's a bad enough feeling to where it will really make it like, oh, I remember the last time I think it last time I blacked out, I think was that fucking Pax where I told you I've been at Buffalo Wild Wings for like the whole weekend in Seattle, and it was just seriously a thing where I was just like people kept showing up and I kept drinking and I I just blacked out at one point and then I woke up in my room. It was the night before the night before the packs where everyone threw hot dogs at me and because I was like puking that morning. But I woke up and I don't remember leaving Buffalo Wild Wings, and I just remember being like holy shit, like I wound up back home, but like there's this gap of time. I don't know how many hours I remember talking to people, because it turns out like Ben Pack helped me get back to the hotel room and stuff, and asking him like everything, do you remember.
Speaker 2: What he said?
Speaker 5: Because I was so worried, like I what does blackout dan do?
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 5: I wasn't there mentally, I'm scared too thinking about it. Yeah, And I asked been Packed and he was like, you mainly talked a lot about how much you loved being married.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I want a bottle tequila in a bet And everyone sat down with me, and I'm basically I took every shot with someone else, So I drank probably half a bottle at tequila in that Uh they told me. I jumped into a trash can and I tried to drive somewhere like not like just a trashic. I dripped into like a big dumpster outside our apartment complex. And and then the rest of the story is I don't know. And then I woke up my bed the next day, but did you have the same like oh god, what like yeah, no, it's not happened since then, And that was twenty years ago, pretty close.
Speaker 1: And legitimate ones in my life. And like the first time I was like, I'm never doing this again. Then the second time, of course, like just happened. I was like, all right, this is this is enough for me to There are.
Speaker 4: A couple where there was like I definitely lost to bodily control, but I remember everything.
Speaker 2: I'd rather have brown out or whatever they call it.
Speaker 4: She had like a birthday where it's like, oh, we got to get him home, and I'm like, well I remember all this.
Speaker 6: Yeah, back when I did drink like more like I would just get sick or just fall asleep before that, and this point, I'll just get a headache before I can even get close to that point now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but no, my my inopportune farting was probably the time I lulled off to sleep heavily.
Speaker 2: Load off to sleep heavily on the plane.
Speaker 1: I jolted awake falling asleep on the plane. I guess you can't really lull.
Speaker 4: I only farted the most opportune times. Yeah, so yeah, a lot of mine. Yeah, I picked my moments. Yeah, I've also awoken. I woke Stef up when we're early when we were dating, she was on the other side of the wall and it like vibrated the couch she was sitting on.
Speaker 5: So, you know, a real fun thing to do as a married guy with pets is like, you know, I'll think bomb because you know, out of ear shot, and I'll just let one rip and then be like, oh nice. You know, it's like blaming on gizmo, you know.
Speaker 4: You do you try to do it out of ear shot of She definitely doesn't like care, but I think I just there is a part of me that's just like I don't just want to be tearing ass all day in the house.
Speaker 2: You know, it's mostly subconscious, mostly.
Speaker 1: Amanda listens to this podcast, so I can't really say yeah me neither.
Speaker 4: I never know I Amanda, MI, nice to meet you, I subscriber. Can you see you aggressively winking right now? I absolutely not in.
Speaker 1: The same room to make her laugh. Never, the long farts are definitely not for her entertainment. Ever, I go outside, I go for walks to fart.
Speaker 2: I love. I love farting for my nephew. He thinks it's very funny. His mom not so much. Get she'll get mad at me, which just kind of makes it a little funnier.
Speaker 1: There's definitely not rules for where I'm actually strictly not allowed to fart in the apartment.
Speaker 2: Definitely not, definitely, definitely not.
Speaker 5: I allow myself to fart with abandon in a situation like this where it's like, oh, it'd be funny if the mic picked it up or something, but there's no one in this room. I definitely I've scaled it back as I've gotten old. You know, there's the South Ben Hanson stories, like oh, I thought it was funny when he poured his coffee out because I've parted in the same room as it.
Speaker 2: But like, I wouldn't be running around it.
Speaker 5: If I lived or if I worked in an office, I wouldn't be like farting on people's faces or anything.
Speaker 2: But of course not.
Speaker 5: You're so for that very Oh no, Mike, I see your face because I've farted on you before. It's just like Tim terious on my head and farted numerous times and I felt his fart vibrate through my skull. But Mike, it was in the office. I know it was at Tim's place where I farted on your head.
Speaker 2: Right, No, you're it's not on my head right into my face.
Speaker 3: Before you fed me.
Speaker 2: Cat treats.
Speaker 1: Jesus right each other very well, I think, Yeah, I know it was. It was enough where I laughed on the way back to s f from uh from Tim's place.
Speaker 4: But I do like when Goblin Dan does appear where it's like, here's some rocks from outside this this building I'm gonna put.
Speaker 5: Inside was the biggest because it's like, okay, So there was the rest of my any match where Shawn Michaels fought Vince and he was like blowing snot at him and doing all that stuff, and Jim Ross is like, oh my god, I never thought we'd see him again. That was the old Shawn Michaels. That was me with the rocks and the shoe. At that you saw the old ding.
Speaker 4: Adamant that that only got as out of hand because Backler and Mike were both just going, oh my god, Oh my god, I can't believe he's doing this. Oh, and I'm like trying to no sell it so you'll lose interest, and they're just this is I can't believe it. To be clear, Toddler, He'll run out of steam, guopped.
Speaker 6: Out of the office building for fandom and decided to fill his shoe with my dog grubs shoe, so grubs shoe, and that was the issue. You wouldn't give it back, so you were like, I got his shoe, and so yeah, yeah, you're trying like a little British orphan. Yeah, he's trying to pretend like, oh, I'm gonna give him the shoe. It's okay, he can come back. But he secretly filled it with rocks. But as soon as the door opens, of course grumb just snatches it as fast as he can to get his shoe back, and then rocks go everywhere, and then the people worked at the clean up, they're.
Speaker 4: Not happy they thought the window shattered because it's all very loud.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh god, so many things are coming to mind.
Speaker 2: Well, we were importand we were with Mary.
Speaker 5: Uh you know a week or two ago, we were sitting by a fire pit and Mary had these like sandals on, and I told her the story like, oh, you know, when me and my sisters would go see movies if they wore sandals. I thought it was hilarious to like, in the middle of the movie when it's super dark, just grab one of them and just throw it all the way down.
Speaker 2: And just like dealing it. I was like, you know what, that's what Mike was like, Yeah, I can't handle it. I can't handle it.
Speaker 5: I think Mary did something. You either like took them off or like tucked away.
Speaker 3: From shoes to keep them tucked on her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, shoes in the fire.
Speaker 1: You kept putting goldfish in any drink I had when I wasn't looking so, but then I also had a pocket pocketed shirt sort of like this fisay this was last week, and so by the time uh, he started putting goldfish in here whereas bulging with goldfish. So at a certain point, pocket and my drink so at a certain point that I I had had a hand on my pocket and a hand over my drink, like someone that.
Speaker 2: Was waiting to be roof.
Speaker 5: Yeah, with a bunch of people who hadn't seen this going on, so he just looks insane.
Speaker 2: Really patriotic.
Speaker 1: A bunch of Australian people are coming up to me and like I'm meeting them for the first time and I'm pulling goldfish out of my shirt pocket and eating them while we're talking, like what but no, the at Tim's place, we were about to go see Creed two with Tim Turry, and he had never seen Creed one, which is one of the best movies ever made.
Speaker 3: So we're like, let's watch that at your.
Speaker 2: Plans first second, I thought you were talking about the sequel to the band, But.
Speaker 3: We're gonna go see Michael B.
Speaker 1: Jordan and Tessa Thompson and Creed two, so we're like, let's watch the first one. And toward the end, Dan had a bag of chips. I think they were like pretzels of some sort. So I was sitting in the middle between them and Dan started just like feeding putting pretzels right into my mouth for like ten minutes straight.
Speaker 5: Like how many of these can I put in before he stops, And.
Speaker 1: Then finally he puts something mouth and I'm just chewing like loudly. I'm like, I'm not like making the nose or something. And I realized that he had put cat treats into my mouth, and he he had like Paul, he had like primed me to eat cat treats. And then yeah, the next morning, it's always around him or Hansen. When Dan starts to get into like big brother bully mode with me, and he starts he went to go side stuff. There's a coffee table in front of the couch and I was just sitting hung over on the couch and Dan like sidles like between the table and the couch and farts right into my face.
Speaker 4: So, which you know in a movie when like there's like the not the like the big bad, but the big bad scientists that will just like test anything on any human.
Speaker 2: That's that's Dan in goblin mode. I think, yes, no, Dan, the.
Speaker 1: One time was here when you actually Amanda, this is the first time Amanda saw me like get mad at you, like genuinely I was.
Speaker 2: I was done with it. We're coming up.
Speaker 1: We're on a fourth floor, walk up oh, this is shoe, and I'm carrying I'm helping to carry Mary one of Mary's suitcases up and I'm leading the pack up the stairs and four flights worth, let's say there's like fifteen steps per flight. So first steps, we're going up to my apartment and Dan just keeps like flat tiring the back of my shoe with his foot, and I was carrying a suitcase. So I the first flight it was funny, and I remember thinking like, oh, he's an adult, he'll stop. And then and then the first we get to the second floor landing and we turn and I'm like, all right, he's not gonna do it, and then he does on the second floor and I actually immediately was like all right, Dan, I like, chill the fuck out.
Speaker 2: But you're also laughing.
Speaker 1: I was laughing on the second flight, but then by the third flight stairs, I was like four stop. I'm like, Dan, I'm gonna fucking kick you in the chest so you fall down these stairs if you don't grabbing my ankle.
Speaker 3: And he kept going and I threatened his life, basically.
Speaker 2: If that's how it ends. Amanda later that night. Amanda later that night was like, you were.
Speaker 3: Like, actually mad, I was like, yes, you.
Speaker 2: My dad and he doesn't like that either. Is so uncover to hit you, Dan. No, I don't know you're gonna start hitting them.
Speaker 4: We have to start. I don't want to hit I'm talking about Harty. I know you're not gonna hit I've been knowing, but it was like bullies and ship. I got punched a lot by bullies. Sure. No, No, I mean as a result of your.
Speaker 2: Action Mary did at our at the bachelor thing.
Speaker 1: Mary, she Charlie horse you because of the you were over her shoulder playing pac Man and you were working with her.
Speaker 4: So scary.
Speaker 2: Yeah. At our don't talk Mary.
Speaker 1: At our bachelor Bachelorette Long Island party, there was a I don't know, how do you how do you describe it?
Speaker 3: A table top pac Man cabinet.
Speaker 2: I heard this. I heard the tails from from past Episod's about your pack man. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think Dan, you were doing something. You were just antagonizing Mary.
Speaker 5: And because I was winning and I was mocking her, and at.
Speaker 1: One point she just turned around and walled on your shoulder. And that was the That was the only time knowing you for how many twelve years now, I actually saw you legitimately shut up after.
Speaker 3: Like someone made you stop.
Speaker 5: She's intimidating. She made it very clear, like okay, all right, I'm gonna hear.
Speaker 1: I saw, dude, your face, the emotions you went through was so funny because I turned we were playing boor games at the table where you guys are doing that. I turned around and I saw it happen because I think I heard like some turmoil. Saw her hit your shoulder, and then she went back to playing, and I could tell from her face she was legitimately pissed.
Speaker 3: I know her, like you know, we've seen her get her temper flare.
Speaker 2: And I saw you like.
Speaker 3: I kind of like not knowing how to adjust to clam up a.
Speaker 2: Little bit way out of line, way out of line. And then you went, You went into like supportive friend mode to her all of a sudden, You're like, no, what other option did I.
Speaker 3: She's gonna punch you in the dick if you kept going.
Speaker 2: It was really really nice message. No, look I understood what you were saying. Yeah that was at the wine fort. But yeah, I think I fart too much. I'm at the right spot now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I've really gattled it in nice triple. All right, well, thank you Brad from Phoenix. That's our episode. That's episode ninety. Thank you Mike and Jeff for joining. That was our longest one in a while. We haven't gone that long.
Speaker 2: We used to. We like used to approach four hours in our early days episode. We're not built for that anymore.
Speaker 5: Combination of a lot of games talk about it, and also I feel like when we have guests it's like, well, okay, we got four people.
Speaker 4: Does add a little bit extra there it's set of three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, though, thank you too for joining us again that I had a great time.
Speaker 1: It's Mike Manati and Jeff Grubb and game Mess and also Giant Bomb. You've you've heard both of them on the show before and not together. This is my first time with both of them on a normal episode.
Speaker 2: Listen to this on Monday.
Speaker 4: On Tuesday night at nine pm on Jeff Grubb's Game Mess on YouTube, We'll do Less than the Nintendogs live at nine pm Eastern, so you can watch that there. It's we have a good time, and then we do another show on Thursday. Games Decides What is for those who don't know, and it's a Nintendo podcast. It's a Nintendo podcast for those who are also in Nintendo prison like we.
Speaker 2: Are, yep, yep.
Speaker 6: And if you didn't hey listening to me talk about Disney. I do a Disney podcast with my brothers Nineties Disney nine Zeros Disney. A new episode we talked about some of our most memorable meals cross all of the Disney properties. Our next kind of top of the month episode where we do our big topics, is going to be a be about skewer Is down Under on the more underrated. I like that the animated films from the era.
Speaker 2: So yep. I like them when I watch that a ton as a kid. Fun fun.
Speaker 5: Also, if you want to watch the worst video games of all time, we currently have Mike Manati playing Alone in the Dark two thousand and eight for the Wei. We just wrapped up Dai Katana with Jeff Grubb. I've done Superman sixty four. You can see the wig. If you're a video watcher, here.
Speaker 4: Wiggs get me going, Oh yeah, it's good stuff.
Speaker 5: Blake Club is like Mount rushmore like video feature series I've ever done. It is so much fucking fun with these guys, and it's the worst jed every soon go to YouTube and type in blight club and you'll see some really really good stuff there.
Speaker 3: Yep, I'm just here, you're fire.
Speaker 2: There's a professional yeah focused.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not in my free time, I'm not focused, but professionally, yeah, I'm just here. And then day job stuff is it's not forward facing. Yeah, ninety episodes. I think we we did the math work in like January February.
Speaker 2: We'll get more. We'll have more news.
Speaker 1: Coming out soon about Game of the Year stuff in November when Mary's back. Oh yeah, we didn't like. Mary's just traveling again. Yeah, we all got to hang out last week in Portland, which is super fun.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: Really, he's on that Saudi bullet train one I think, Yeah, it's the only one.
Speaker 3: She's going to a Nixon nostalgia convention.
Speaker 2: The water Gate. We will be back in two weeks. We'll have more news about Game of the Year stuff.
Speaker 1: Coming out soon where Zelda probably talk about Zelda and I think that's about it. If you want to go to uh fire skit cast dot com, you can become a patron member Patreon member. If you're not already to get ad free episodes or video episodes or just uh you can treat like a tip jar. If you appreciate what we do, you can also go to fire skate merch dot com. Do you want to get sweatshirts, crop tops, swim trunks?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: Past the season for in most parts of the world, or rather in our parts of the world.
Speaker 5: But but the most important thing to book mark is Fuckjake dot Org.
Speaker 2: Everyone should about this.
Speaker 4: Why give them the ogin right? Why fan those flames for someone so well?
Speaker 2: This was button here.
Speaker 1: We have not gotten any emails about this or tweets or anything import If you listen to the last episode we talked, do I want to describe? No, Dan, you explained this because this was your fucking ploy. I don't feel like, no, it was This is all Jake.
Speaker 4: We did the whole bit that just came up about like, oh Jake dot org and we're gonna, like, you know, talk like Jake sucks or whatever.
Speaker 5: Uh, And then I think one of us might have been you, Mike saying like, oh yea, somebody.
Speaker 1: Even tell them what it is. Just say like, look what Jake did go to he bought dot org and.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, Jake Decker, while editing this podcast bought Fuckjake dot Org.
Speaker 1: He gambled on the fact that we had not yet actually purchased it because he.
Speaker 4: Was and he just go to it. And then we were in his career as a Jedi and with the mental told the job took proved too much for our brave adventure. He now writes and plays games, seeking a middle ground that allows him to do both for a living, rather than them distracting him from the work he is getting paid for.
Speaker 2: In that middle ground, mic you do it get their buddies. We were sitting at a picnic table in Oregon when.
Speaker 1: For a party and uh, and Dan said something like I should have known something was up, because that's not how U r L's work. You're like, you should go there and see if see if it tells you how.
Speaker 2: To buy it, how much it costs. Yeah, And I was like, that's not how they work. I would have to go to hover. And then we had a bunch of people around us, and so I went.
Speaker 1: And then like Dan was watching me intently across the table so you couldn't see my screen, and he saw and like it dawned on me, and I was so impressed.
Speaker 2: I wasn't even angry.
Speaker 4: No, you dropped your phone and immediately put your head in your hands. Yes, right, and then I was like, surrender program. No, it's all Jake, No, you did mindropoculous? Did you like a kid from kidd and play where you're wearing this wig?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I just I'm just reading some of your old stories on gaming next this and also like that. That's it's still going good for them. Yeah. Uh based out of Ohio. A few of them. What oh man, we gotta do something.
Speaker 6: We don't like that, Jeff and I like saying we're the largest gaming media company in Ohio.
Speaker 3: Yeah, at least they were when I was. I went to my first E three with them, I did GDC.
Speaker 1: They were good, good dudes, brought me on and that's how I got my my portfolio going.
Speaker 2: Off the gray.
Speaker 5: This is a post game informer. Right, Well, I'm seeing your E three twenty thirteen stuff. Where were you like twenty twelve?
Speaker 2: Ish? I was fall twenty twelve.
Speaker 1: I think I would have started, Yeah, maybe the Gaming Extus after no, because I would have had stuff samples to send to Miller.
Speaker 5: Oh good, we have a ton of like E three twenty thirteen stuff.
Speaker 1: I remember the last of us. I had gotten a bunch of people. It was similar to BioShock in what year was that?
Speaker 2: Thirteen? You have your Last of Us things? Last of Us is your last.
Speaker 1: Oh sorry, so last BioShock Infinite, I believe came in when we were all at GDC, and the Last of Us came in while we were all at E three. So I had to rush when I got home, immediately downloaded to play it to review it, which I didn't.
Speaker 6: It was, you know, I was still new to everything it was. It was great, Yeah, A nine, you said it excellent, better for worse. The Last of Us is hard to experience most of the time. This is a very good thing. I wouldn't use vary by the way you say great instead of very good. Just a little bit there as seems a violence and survival pushed the plot toward it effective.
Speaker 4: Have you met Dandala Jesus No at the bottom of his Last of Us view, it's at the bottom of all of his work because.
Speaker 1: It's on a mousepad at fire Scape mergs dot com. Don't if I still There's gonna come a day when I'm gonna see that shirt in the wild and I'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna Oh, it's gonna be good.
Speaker 1: You're gonna have to raise some pros and cons in my head. But anyway, thank you, Mike, Thank you Jeff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's always fine. Thank you.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you'll be on again. First person episode. I believe outside of Game of the Year of bonus episodes.
Speaker 2: We're gonna be our grandkids about this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course, they'll know all about my barts and how.
Speaker 2: I catch reat your exploits. Yeah, it's all chronicled.
Speaker 1: We'll see everybody again in two weeks for episode ninety one.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for joining tonight. We'll see you soon, bab