Speaker 1: Jess and New Yorker who's.
Speaker 2: Toxi around? This is the seventy seven WABC Mini Cast.
Speaker 1: I want to bring in some of the smartest people I know to fully understand this thing and to see where we go from here. Eric Eggers is one of those great people from the Drill Down podcast, from the Government Accountability Institute and so much more. Eric Eggers, Welcome back.
Speaker 3: How are you, buddy, Greg? It's great to be witty. Happy Friday, Happy Friday.
Speaker 1: I feel like, you know, if this were nineteen seventy four and these were documents that emerge from the Nixon White House, you know, there would be a drum beat to resignation and we'd be watching, you know it. Just this is huge and it's getting no attention. But anyway, what was your reaction to these documents when you saw them?
Speaker 2: Yeah, my first reaction was, oh man, Greg cal is going to love this.
Speaker 3: And it's funny to you.
Speaker 2: It's funny that you mentioned that, you know, investigations into things that are not illegal things since you're allowed to do.
Speaker 3: When you're president United States.
Speaker 2: What becomes more and more clear is that the idea that Donald Trump might have become president United States is the thing that the Biden Department of Justice wanted to make illegal. I mean, that's the bottom line, right, and we've actually documented. I mean, so my current reaction is it is disappointing, It is unsurprising, you know, the one I wish I could say I'm surprised at how blatant this was, although I think we're well past that.
Speaker 3: But remember, you know, this kind of falls in this larger line of pattern.
Speaker 2: Joe Biden basically signaled to law enforcement officials in the New York Times that because he feared what Donald Trump would be as a political opponent, that he wanted to see investigations begun. And he basically called for it, right, called for Merrick Garland, called for other people, and people left Merrick Garland's office to go join the Southern District of New York. So this latest thing is unfortunate, just consistent with that pattern of behavior. You and I've talked about Chris krab and other corrupt you know, law enforcement officials. So you know, this is this is more evidence that there continues to be more there there, despite the fact that mainstream legacy media wants to cover it up.
Speaker 1: I mean, if I may, I think this is a little bit. It's singular in its egregiousness. Let's see here, the FBI is opening a full investigation based on articulable factual basis that reasonably indicates that President Donald J. Trump maybe or has been wittingly or unwittingly involved in activities for or on behalf of the government of the Russian Federation from May of twenty seventeen. So President Trump is actually president at this point, which makes this different to me. It's the FBI initiat initiating it for the standard, you know, benign reasons. And I've never seen anything quite like this. The Russia collusion with the Special Council, that was you know, public, and it was into the campaign, not President Trump as an individual, right, he always said I want a statement that says you're not investigating me and call me. Would say, well, we can't do that because of this, that and the other thing. We don't say we are, we don't say we're not. And now we know that they were. And I I you know a lot of guys I'm saying, well that's kind of old. No, this is this is new and different. I think this is new. And one other thing I gotta say when you mentioned Joe Biden. There's a caveat to that, because Joe Biden did say out loud, you know, through the New York Times and even said publicly at one point in November twenty twenty two, that I think Donald Trump is a threat and he should be investigated. Forget everything I just said, weirdly, Constitutionally, that's an okay thing to do.
Speaker 3: Do you do? You do?
Speaker 2: You do?
Speaker 1: You know where I'm going with that. Forget about everything else, just focus on the Biden Biden saying that, do you think he has a constitutional authority to do that?
Speaker 3: Are you suggesting that he does?
Speaker 1: Yes, I am suggesting that that he actually did. Part of the problem was what.
Speaker 3: I would say. We'll go ahead, Okay, what's the problem?
Speaker 1: Well, sorry, I wanted to hear from you, and now I'm just bombarding you with.
Speaker 3: My cuckoo theories.
Speaker 2: It's not my first time on the show, Greg, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Well, do me a favorite before we do that. All right, Well, look, I'll tell you.
Speaker 1: I mean, forget about everything, forget about the moment, forget about all of these documents. One of the problems with Biden was he could if he had been honest about it. He would have been It would have been bad. It would have been wrong for a lot of different reasons.
Speaker 3: Look.
Speaker 1: Article two of the Constitution says the President of the United States is the one to make sure that the laws are being enacted faithfully. So say when President Trump picks up the phone and talks to a US attorney and says, you know what, I think this guy is dirty and you really should look into that. Look, I'm the President of the United States. A lot of people have confident in my judgment. Seventy five million people voted for me. This is something that I ascertained to be a problem, and I want you, as an employee of the executive branch of government, to look into that. That is legitimate, and that is valid, and that is constitutional.
Speaker 2: Now, I hate to disagree with you that the problem is Donald Trump was impeached basically for doing that, right, so that so to me, it's less about like was not okay for Joe Biden. It's just a double standard of the hypocrisy because again, your president of the United States. There's lots of things that would presume fall under your purview. Donald Trump's been more aggressive and expanding or exploiting what he believes to be the expanded purview of the executive than other presidents have been previously. But no, I don't disagree as it relates to this specific investigation that happened under you know, under while Donald Trump's psident. You know, it's funny because of what would happen with Joe Biden. People would ask me all the time, you know, because you could just see evidence of the cognitive failing, and they say, well, who is really run in the country? And I said, and I think, you know, to me, this just that kind of validates it. It's the collection of lawyers in the Department of Justice, and it's the you know, the SBI agents and these kind of the intelligence apparatriic that's kind of a holdover from the Obama era, and this just shows you, like the president might have changed, but the aim and the ideological bent of our national you know, security apparatus with the FBI, the CIA, et cetera.
Speaker 3: Clearly did not.
Speaker 2: So whether it's the guys that signed off on the Russia dossier, whether it's the guys that signed off that said the Hunter Biden laptop was Russian misinformation, whether it's the people that okayed this investigation. By the way, it's worth pointing out they okay this investigation at roughly the same time that they shut down which was, in my opinion, a very legitimate investigation into the Clintons, based in part on the work that we did. Peter Schwizer wrote the book Clinton Cash. I traveled to Haiti, helped work on the research for it. I mean, there was legitimate reasons to wonder about the Clinton's relationship ship with the Russians, right Vladimir Putin's paying half a million dollars for a speech Bill Clinton is helping to you know, they're getting lots of money and transferring US uranium assets that ultimately ended up in Putin's hands. So there were real things to look into. So anytime you talked about the FBI looking into things on behalf of Donald Trump and Russia, especially while Donald Trump as president, you know, there are finite resources in these agencies, So they chose to look into this. It's especially gone because we have evidence that we know what they chose to ignore, which I think was obviously much more legitimate and credible.
Speaker 1: What makes this investigation so damning, though, is the reasons they cite which are and you you you mentioned that I mentioned that they were legitimate political activities that the president was engaged in.
Speaker 3: They're in the predicate.
Speaker 1: And on its face, this memo falls apart, like you can't investigate somebody for practicing politics.
Speaker 3: You know you can that it turns out, and it turns out you can.
Speaker 1: Right, It turns out you can. And that's why it should be well, it should be a massive scandal. But look in my defense of President Trump on whether it was the phone call, whether it was you know, hey, Rudy Giuliani, you know, I just saw I just saw Joe Biden yelled and scream and brag about how he turned off the investigation and had that prosecutor fired. You know, Zelensky, I would look into that if I were you. And Rudy Giuliani is the guy. He can talk to you. He knows that stuff. I mean, that's not a political mission. I mean, forget it.
Speaker 3: It could be political. Political is not bad.
Speaker 1: He could and as the President of the United States saying hey, there's a problem here, that is a problem. If what Joe Biden boasted about before the Council on Foreign Relations is true, that's a problem. And if my own Justice Department ain't going to look into it, well, uh, Zelensky, you guys should look into that. And Rudy is a free in private citizen. He's allowed to look into it too. These are legitimate activities. And that's why I circle back to Biden, and Biden did a lot of wrong things. I'm not defending Biden, but under the constitution, he is allowed to say I think he's a threat. He should be investigated. That's not impeachable, that's arguably not even inappropriate. The problem is when they find the evidence that is either completely exculpatory or not there, then you have to call off the investigation. And they kept it going. So it's just a weird place that I find myself in because they're getting on President Trump's case now and I'm saying, no, he's allowed to do it, And interestingly, so was Joe Biden in terms of calling for investigations.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Remember a time, Greg when you could just like disagree with what the member of the opposite party did and not think that they were a criminal because of it. I mean that's what you're speaking to you, right. The people can do things you don't agree with. It doesn't mean they need to be impeached. It doesn't mean they should be prosecuted. I know that we live in a world and you know, with the outrage fatigue, and so I hear it all the time. I'm sure you do too, because we live in the business of exposing scandals and corruptions, and so people want to see justice, They want to see accountability, and for a lot of people that does mean criminal charges, but not everything has to result in that. But but it speaks to the you know, the law fair that was I think clearly amped up onto the Obama administration and then continued in many respects under Joe Biden and Donald Trump was singularly the focus of it, unlike I think anytime in American history. It's it's so funny because you reference Nixon, and you know, it's it's weird to think that we're getting to a place where people won't remember that as a frame of reference. But you kind of hold what the Obama administration has done, some of the things that the Biden administration has done that we know they've done, and compare that to what then, you know Nixon was responsible for with Watergate, I think it pales in comparison