Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Batflips and Nerds, the Baseball Podcast with a British twist. I am Darius Austin and we are back with more hot WBC content. And who better to bring us that content than our man in Houston live in the stadium is Russell Lison. Russell, how is it going.
Speaker 2: It's going good. It is the field day to day.
Speaker 3: I can maybe briefly turn this around and you can see that Team Canada have arrived and are having their warm ups. They're going to take the field for the next ninety minutes. So probably while we'll having this conversation, you might hear some hits, although you'll probably just hear the blaring music that still goes in the stadium even when no one is actually here to listen to it apart from the players.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I sat.
Speaker 1: I hadn't really thought about that, but it is quite incredible that they're still blaring the sound system when there's nobody there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I guess the teams get to choose their music, and the only way for them to hear it is it's over the whole entire sound system.
Speaker 1: Incredible. Well, we should probably have an extended rant about how sports venues are too loud these days. But we won't do that because there's lots of baseball to talk about, and the group stages are over that they've concluded. We have a quarter final lineup. But I think before we talk about all the other groups, I guess I guess we should start with with Paul B and we should start with Team GB, who have again successfully qualified for the next WBC. So, Russ, I imagine you've spent an awful lot of time with the team over the last few days, and I think it was a great performance against Brazil. I think maybe people were, you know, following along, almost surprised to fe relatively relaxed during that game because it was it was mostly under control. That's what it felt like to me.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Yeah, we'll go in reverse and we'll start with that game. I think that what GB had shown well at last periods of the entire tournament in that game is that they pitched well. They had a few moments in all of the games, and even like the wm A game in Brazil, they did give up that first run and you were like, okay, GB has to score, which is a little bit of a we know what's been struggled for a bit of the tournament, but justin wildly hitting that home run in Lewis Junior hitting the home run to tie it straight back upto one and then getting ahead once that had happened. I think after watching Brazil play their games against Mexico, were playing their games against Italy, they hadn't really looked that strong offensively, but they picked up five runs against the US, including Lucas Schremiraz going deep twice. But they really kind of like ruggled offensively for most of those games, and GM kind of stepped it up from then and as that game just progressed, it did get more and more to the point where you were like, yeah, you know what, like gbre better, are better than Brazil And that result did show out to do that, and yeah, the qualification for the next tournament is massive. Repeatability is a huge thing with funding with sport in the UK, So getting that and getting that actually the chance to happen again it is a great thing. As next things that they'll move on to, which will probably talk about the points with the Premier sort of qualifying at the end of the year. But it was a great result in the end, and I think it was the first time they probably really put an entire performance together.
Speaker 2: The games against Mexico, Italy and the USA.
Speaker 3: They were strong at times, they were capable holding in with those teams, but each time that they let get away from them by they conceded like more than one run in basically every evening that they actually conceded runs in those first three games, So they really struggled to put out the fires once it started to go slightly wrong, which will be a learning point I think for how they come at this again in the tournament's times afterwards. But seeing how Italy performed against USA and Mexico afterwards, US having losing that game seven four is not as bad as it like, I think, looking at it respectively, it's actually a much fairer like reflection where like GBR.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was wondering about that actually and being around the guys, what sense was there of missed opportunity in some of those games they did They come off the field thinking we could have actually won those and we just you know, things didn't quite break our way at the right moments, you know, we if we'd had a lucky hit or here or there earlier in the game, It could have been very different. Did they really feel like they could have come away from this tournament with more than one win?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think so.
Speaker 3: I think Brad spoken the post pest customs is in most of the games, saying the like, we didn't execute one hundred percent like in all of those games. So GV knows that they aren't the same caliber of team. The USA team is an all star team. The Mexico team has MLB talent throughout that whole entire lineup and has MLB talent on the pitching. Italy has mostly MLB level team or a lot of Quad A players. Jimi doesn't quite have that same depth. But they Yeah, they just didn't quite take some of the moments they had. They left men on the bases in both the Mexico and Italy games that could have really kind of pushed the momentum back into kind of like their favor. The decision I think to pull Nia Victor in the USA game and bring in scrub I think that's one that Brad has has said that kind of like maybe given the chance to twenty twenty high sight to go back, he might have like led him kind of like continue on and see what it was going, but he wanted to switch from like a left right picture to a like a not south pitcher to kind of.
Speaker 2: To go with that. But like it didn't work. GB.
Speaker 3: We're going to have to play at like ninety nine percentile and hope that those other teams were playing somewhere in their bottom quarter percentile, and I think in all of those games they ended up playing in seventy eighty percentile sort of territory.
Speaker 2: It just it wasn't.
Speaker 3: Quite there, And if we're honest, like Jazz wasn't quite there. Like he was added to this lineup hoping to be like the person that could add power, add stolen bases, be a talent's man, but we didn't really have a great tournament, going over four in the game against USA, I think with the golden sombrero was was not what team GB needed in those games. But yeah, I think you can't underestimate the impact that he had on the rest of the squad and the team being pulled together. But when it came to when it came to the games, you didn't have like the got the RBI and a couple of singles in the end to kind of to help GB get through Brazil. But you didn't get that the any moment that Pasquentino got yesterday where after going over twelve wilid Ley were winning three, hitting three home runs to be the first person then to do that in the WDC game.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, well let's talk about Italy. Maybe the biggest shock of the group stage is that Italy have topped Paul b after beating the USA eight six, and then and coming back out the next night and as you say, Vinnie hitting three home runs to help them beat Mexico and fortunately let the US still advance through to the quarterfinals. Who how did you did you were you surprised by that having watched them play their first two games, or did you think that there was that potential foreign upset because there is, as you say, it's still a lot of major league talent on this roster.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think it's always an interesting way that like how teams can build up, Like Italy's schedule was Brazil, GB, USA, Mexico, so they kind of had the chance to build themselves into the tournament, get two wins against potentially the favorable matchups, and then really go for it in against USA and Mexico. It allowed them to kind of they lined up their best pitchers in Lorenzo and Mola in those two games, and to be honest, USA and Mexico made Lorenzo and Aaron Nola looked like Tarrek Skouble and Paul Skins like even though they were going pitching in different games. Yeah, it's still shock, still shocked that Italy kind of like won those games. Because if the CESSPECTUS Barbecue Boys said it in a tweet, which I think perfectly kind of signs it up. It's like the junior team beating the varsity team, like because all those Italian Americans could have been on that on that team, Roman Antony chose to be on the USA team instead of potentially being on on the Italy team.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's definitely a shock.
Speaker 3: But I think Italy and probably Mexico to a certain extent of not playing within the same limitations that the US has. Like this is something that other people need to remember that although this is a great international tournament and it is becoming a bigger and bigger thing, all these players are on restrictions from their teams, and so these top top players are probably on the worst restrictions out of everybody. I think people can complain about the Rosi's handling of the games, but he was pretty much hamstrung to be like, these people can pitch on these days and they can do this much. And he had to basically bring people in at certain times and not bring other people in at certain times.
Speaker 2: To do that.
Speaker 3: It was the way of having those players available meant that he didn't have the ability to just pick and choose as he wanted. It was a lot more like here are my jugs or pieces, and I have to kind of like fit them together instead of being just being able to kind of like throw who he ever wanted. And so yeah, I think if you had lined it up correctly, I don't think you would have put tarik schouble against GB. You would probably should have pitched Tarik's schooble against Italy. That's what costs them kind of like winning that game. But they're still into the into the now to the knockouts. They're the game against Canada now, which everybody on the USA team will be thinking is a game that they should be winning, and given how the system is set up, they have a potential path to the to the final, where they'll well they'll play.
Speaker 2: Japan more than likely, but who knows.
Speaker 3: Obviously they'll have to play either of South Korea or Dominican Republic first before hitting and out on that other side.
Speaker 1: And what was the atmosphere like in that Italy US game in terms of, you know, the balance inside the stadium. Was there a lot of shock amongst the crowd. Did you get a sense of that from where you were.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the atmosphere was pretty pretty amazing for a lot of these games. The the USA Itarly match was was was weird because obviously, like Illy got ahead and attacked him on and attacked more and more on. When Pta hit the three home run, this crowd was electric. I think people still thought that they were gonna this is like the start of like the comeback, and it was building up, and it was building up, and it was building up, and having like Judge up to bat in the ninth being like the tying run, I think a lot of people here were expecting that, like, Okay, here's a he's a he's a judge WBC moment, He's gonna take a yard and like either take this game to extras or kind of like help USA win it in the sinnings and it didn't happen. It got struck out by I'm trying to remember. I think it was Greg Weisser.
Speaker 2: It was Greg Weser. Yeah, yeah, So it's.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, you know what, like relievers in Major League Baseball, like they're all good in a very short period of time, so they all have appitch or something.
Speaker 2: Think that it's a little bit unusual.
Speaker 3: That's why their major league like relievers and short sample it can go their way, and it did. But no, like the USA Mexico game was utterly phenomenal when it comes to atmosphere wise, just it's probably i want to say, like sixty forty Mexico to USA fans, but they were both very loud, Like you honestly like couldn't tell who was like the whole or the away team. It was like there were moments where the USA fans are massive, there are moments when the fans for Mexico were allowed. And yeah, the only difference I'll say is that like the Mexico fans are like constantly loud, and the USA fans were allowed in the moments like when like USA did something or when it was the time for when something happened for Team USA. But no, but Houston has hosted some pretty epic games, even like the GB versus USA game had great atmosphere. There was times when on the big screens it would like to show a British fan and they are like massive booze, and then it would show like an American fan and there are massive cheers.
Speaker 2: It really worked well.
Speaker 3: And the stadiums had the roof on for the whole entire time I've been here. It's actually open right now, which is the first time I've seen the stadium open because it's been a pretty pretty wet actually a week or so out here in Houston, so they've had the roof closed to make sure that we don't get any reinde lace. So keeping that sound in it does feel pretty electrid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can imagine. I guess we should. We should talk about a pool A because that is where these teams are going. So Italy have earned themselves again against Puerto Rico in the quarterfinals and as you said, to USA playing Canada who won that pool. So pretty impressive performance from the Canadian team all around, I think, and certainly did well to come out of that. I think when we were talking about it, before this ornament, we said this is a group that you know, several teams could stake a claim to Canada there wanted and it so how impressive you've been with what they've done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you do have to say the Canada winning that group was a shot going into the tournament. It's not I don't think something what we expected. Maybe seeing the Puerto Rican team and lineup that they eventually managed to put together due to various insurance, injury and cannabis reasons means that it isn't as a standout of as a Puerto Rico lineup as it could be. Obviously, still has Edwin Diaz closing when they need to, but you kind of need to score the runs to to kind of go against that. They only conceded seven runs in all of their games that they pitched Puerto Rico, but they only scored fifteen across the four So that's going to be their what they're going to struggle with, like in the games that they come up against. Of their game against Italy will be be amazing, but no Canada. They ended up with a three in one record with losing to Panama, who the team that finished bottom of the group tells you everything you need to know. I think about this group, it was these groups ended up slightly lopsided. But it's very hard to do that properly, like an international sport at all, not just were like baseball, because you do things predicting on like performances three or so years ago and how you kind of pull things together.
Speaker 2: But yeah, now this.
Speaker 3: Canadian team, a lot of them played in the WBC back in twenty twenty three, and I think that experience shone through in some of those games, and then obviously getting performances out of Paxton like they did like in those in those final games to actually kind of get them, get them through, get them over the line. He got pulled on forty nine pitches, so he's still theoretically like available to pitch like in the in the rest of the tournament. That shows some savvy knowledge of the tournament, which maybe some other managers and systems have not shown so far to quickly highlight that. I'm not certain if there also ever actually thought that they were qualified. It was probably like a misspeak of how he kind of like talked about it.
Speaker 2: But it is kind of hilarious.
Speaker 3: That, like the talking point for twenty four hours was did the US know the rules of how the tournament works?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that did seem to be the bulk of the content on social media, and that was just marked Euros it doesn't know the rules of the WBC. Yeah, I think you're probably right. It's one of those things you just say, and he meant to say, we've practically qualified, not I think that we're actually already in. But yeah, still still drew plenty of attention and of course could have gone very bad for them on them on that final game against Mexico.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to be in that scenario was not good.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I think going back to going back to pul A, Puerto Ico had to come back in extras to beat Panama as well. So this this group actually ended up being a fairly like even group across the board if you look at it from a selfish like TMGB perspective, like if they were raced Columbia, who would have been not in Colmbia already have been Panama probably the team that they would have replaced in that group. Honestly, there's bobly chances they could have gone out on that group, but there's also a chance that they could have finished bottom because there wasn't a clear bad team, And yeah, obviously you you'd probably want to be in that group because that gives you the opportunity to go further. But yeah, I think Panama will be feel a rubb to have to go back through the qualification process after beating team the top of the group eventually.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, It's definitely could have gone a lot of different ways that one. I think I guess we should we should talk about Japan and probably talk about Andressatoria and church.
Speaker 2: Hip as well.
Speaker 1: The expected result in the end, but they didn't quite dominate all of the games throughout, did they.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like Japan went out.
Speaker 3: I think the game against South Korea was a really entertaining game. They absolutely mash Chinese Taipei, which is something that I don't think people really anticipated would happen. But with Otani getting that grand slam like in the second inning, I think at the end of the second inning being a triple away from a cycle. But in the games against South Korea, in the games against Australia and games against Chechia for eight innings, Japan didn't look as imperious as they didn't qualify last time. Around, So I think teams have got to think that, yes they are still one of the favorites, if not the favorite, win to win the tournament.
Speaker 2: But they are.
Speaker 3: Human as to say that there are some chinks in the armor there and we'll have to see kind of how they perform. Now. They did score a lot. They did only concede nine runs across four games, so they scored a lot in obviously beating in a couple of the games and attacked on those late runs which made it look better than it did. But when you have like Otani, you have Murakami, when you had Yashida playing like it's three years ago again in the WBC, seems to be that, Yeah, he just needs to think that every game that he plays in Boston is the world based is wearing the Japan Japanese jersey, and he might be a much better player than than when he is. But no, yeah, Japan progressed cheche It was. It was a tough group for Chechia to get anything out of, if we're honest, Like Chinese IIPEI Taiwan were unlucky to be relegated last time around. They were in the group where all five teams finished with two wins and they have the work conceded the most run so they had to go requalify, which meant that they were the qualifying team in this group and they're not a qualifying team then were near the level of the other qualifying teams that come through. So Cheschia definitely had a rough time going about that. But Australia was the game wished they really need to get something out of and I think the pitching from Australia was was a was a really like a pleasant surprise for what they managed to get out of it. They limited Japan to four runs and they limited South Korea to kind of like to seven and in the games that kind of got away with them. And obviously the three to zero win at the start of the tournaments against Taiwan to kind of to really.
Speaker 2: Kick it all off.
Speaker 3: So there's there's five teams there that will feel that they've done good. I think Taiwan will will be upset after winning the Premier twelve to not make it out of that group, but it was always going to be a very difficult task with.
Speaker 2: With South Korea and Japan in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think Australia too, I'm sure if you'd said this to them at the start of the tournament, they would have taken it. But given given the circumstances and how close they came, they're probably feeling a little bit disappointed to not make it through either, are they.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so you win two games, you kind of push it the way they're through. I think that game against Japan where kind of it's three four in the end, but it's like, obviously they got two back in that in the top of the nights to kind of and you felt that, oh, are we about to see something here? Like there is there is a real like momentum shift kind of like happening in this game, and you were like, they just didn't couldn't quite kind of get over the line. But people like bizarre of show, but why they are like the number one in like in the world to kind of to get it out there and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one top prospects in the world.
Speaker 3: But also like the McDonald pitching has just been absolutely like phenomenal as well. And I think from a purely selfish position, we probably would have wanted Australia to get through. That's purely thinking about twenty thirty two and the fact that Brisbane is hosting the Olympic Games, and we want a strong Australian baseball team to make Australia keep baseball in the Olympics because it is now an invitational sport.
Speaker 2: They're not on not a core sport. But who knows.
Speaker 3: Hopefully they they did enough to maybe keep that in thought.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fingers crossed.
Speaker 1: And finally, Paul d which may be the sort of the most predictable with the most predictable results in their games, the Dominican Republic lineup. Did Dominican Republic line up things, didn't they They mashed against everybody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, forty one runs scored in four games. They demolished. They put ten on Or, They put ten on Israel, Netherlands and Nicaragula and then put seven on Venezuela in that last game in what honestly looked like an atmosphere that was amazing. And thinking of the games that I saw with Venezuela and USA in Miami last year, it's definitely want to want to get make sure that those guys potentially stay there to the to the semi finals so I can see games like that again.
Speaker 2: But no, this.
Speaker 3: One, I mean, of all the groups, this is the one that went to the letter what you've kind of anticipated, nicki Agua word the qualifier did struggle Netherlands. Obviously that's a that's a tough loss against Israel in the end. I think obviously losing potentially one of their probably most key players in the minutes before the tournament starts due to being suspended for drugs and seemingly also not telling anybody anything and just that Profiles immediately just left doesn't probably like help build up like the the atmosphere that is like involved, but like the Netherlands team is is.
Speaker 2: A good one, is a strong one.
Speaker 3: But I think no, like they don't have they have some opportunity to pour players from abroad the same way that from the from Kurrtsaw and a few other places in the in the Caribbean, but not the same way that like TV can and not have the same thing that the same thing that Italy and potentially Israel can have by pulling in a lot of players of ancestry to pull that kind.
Speaker 2: Of pull that off.
Speaker 3: But that that game at the end between Israel and ons was was an entertaining one to kind of like to watch sum if it wasn't potentially like there wasn't any consequences like behind it. But when you look through like the lineup, you're just like, okay, yeah, this is like still like a fairly good team. And again you go purely from a selfish perspective, drop GB in this group.
Speaker 2: Where would they finish?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think they would have had very good games against done that like they had been replacing probably Israel based on last year's performance. So yeah, they could have had a chance of finishing third or fourth in this group. I think that would have been the same. But I don't think they would have touched Ben as well. They're or the Dominican Republic and in how they were, how they were playing. So this one played out fairly kind of as taste anticipated, but has some pretty glorious high like moments from some of the walk offs and especially with Yeah, especially in kind of about how some of those games went that like the Netherlands nearly lost to the Nicaragua before and all of those other games that kind of like got were close but required some.
Speaker 2: Why is the hitting the bats to come live at the end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was heartbreaking to see the Nicera Grund players looked devastated after Ozzie Always hit that home run. They were they were so close, and I did feel quite bad for them watching them after that game, because that would have been an amazing moment for them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're not up there for me to quite have the chardon freud a moment, But like the there seemed to be a few clips of the fans like getting ready to record the win and then having the home run take the game away from them and stunning them into silence. Like I don't dislike Nicaraguans enough ten for that to find that like highly amusing, but it's still slightly amusing that you're there ready to kind of film what potentially is the greatest moment in your in your in your team's.
Speaker 2: History, and just the habit kind of like wiped away from you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pretty pretty devastating for them. So we obviously have that quarter final line upset and the Dominican will go through and play Korea, and Venezuela will of course be playing Japan. Have you got your eye on a on a game here? Which are you looking forward to the most out of the four?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think probably like wuer Italy.
Speaker 3: Again, it's like it's another one of those ones where we've seen Italy win, we've seen them kind of go through again to kind of push this through. Now we've got guys you see like Okay, it's just can you do it again? Is it repeatable? Like because this is tornment baseball where it's it's single elimination like Italy of everything's probably gone their way so far, Like will it continue to do that?
Speaker 2: That's definitely one.
Speaker 3: It's probably wrong to say all of them because they all have some really interesting things to talk about them. But South Korea Dominican Republic, that's some big swingers on both sides. Like the Korean approach to swinging a baseball bat is all or nothing, and the guys on the Dominican lineup is the same. So I can't imagine that they'll be not entertaining games USA Canada.
Speaker 2: Hey, like.
Speaker 3: Gain the USA should be favorites basically and unless they play probably like Dominica or Japan. So you've got to think that they should be winning this. But it's like, can they get their head out of the funk that maybe that they're in.
Speaker 2: How does that? How does it all play?
Speaker 3: Canada the neighbors to the north, is there any extra extra bite that can go into that. I'm looking down here and I can see that ringing. Josh Naylor is wearing like a Canadian hockey jersey as he's like taking his BP. See if I can turn around and show that to people, if you can just down there just waiting to like take his BPS in a Canadian hockey jersey.
Speaker 2: But yeah, like they're enjoying it.
Speaker 3: They've had like a great tournament to tod of to get to this point. But you without knowing kind of like the exact of like who's who's going to pitch? Who's going to give that? I think USA Logan Web is pitching for them in the quarterfinal game. So these all should be great entertainment to watch. The only slight thing that I don't like is that the quarterfinals are manufactured, So the fact that the USA and Japan end up on the different side of the.
Speaker 2: The brackets no matter what. So it's a little bit.
Speaker 3: You can I love the WC and all the different things, when people have a go at it for being an exhibitional stuff like that, and I'm like, well, it isn't doogle players, It definitely isn't. But when the organizational stuff happens like that, you're going to be a bit like, this isn't really like the way it should work. Ifally an USA should have their game should be in playing in the different games heasably should have earned by beating the USA, not the factor have to play Japan in the semi final.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does feel a little bit off that one. I think certainly anybody used to any standard knockout tournaments, it's anathema really to have that concept come up. So you would like to see that not happened. Yeah, I understand why they've done it, but yeah, it feels like it's if they should be rewarded more than they have been for winning that group.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I initially read it that they were just switching the game so the USA would be played at like on a certain time, we'll get like a certain game, because that happens in other competitions where it's just like oh yeah, like they'll play this semi final or this quarter final regardless, because we want them to basically have the the prime TV slot.
Speaker 2: But that's not the case.
Speaker 3: But hey, how like, if if Italy have got to win this tournament, they've probably got to beat Japan anyway, so doing in the semifinals instead of the instead of the finals, and have some potential grudge match revenge match against the ARF for the US like in the final, or who knows, we could have a whole Latin American Dominican Republic Venezuela final again, go for another thing don down in Miami.
Speaker 2: Any one of those games is will be will be great to watch. Yeah, I can't wait to get to them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, We've got We've got Suarez Yamamoto on Saturday night. We should be a pretty banging matchup.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and I think I'm not saying with like Japan's games last time round, who the com who they had in the quarterfinals, But the game against Mexico in the semis, like Dow atmosphere was was amazing, And I imagine the Venezuelan and atmosphere in Home Depot again will be lit. Deeper Park will also be like another pretty ecstatic one to be involved with. Am a little disappointed that, ah the quarterfinals, some quarter finals are here, are not all of them back over in Miami, So I'm going to miss out on watching a couple of them compared to the last time round.
Speaker 1: But can't really complain it seems to be going all right. I wanted to ask more generally. You're obviously at the last one. It feels like the last one hyped people up even more for this. Does it feel different on the ground. Are there more people around? Is there more press interest or does it feel kind of like lafetime?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think kind of like from a from a personal perspective like me and gave last time around, we're pretty.
Speaker 2: Fly on the wall with our approach. We weren't.
Speaker 3: We kind of chatted to some of like the GB players and the GB staff as kind of like things went on, but we kind of came. We kind of sang a little little press box area and kind of just cheered GB and kind of ask questions in press conferences and kind of did that around. This time around, with a phone and a couple of mics, have been far more just like acket, let's just kind of go this person looks semi free, let's go ask them some questions and and see what their thoughts on in it. And so yeah, it's been it's very interesting to do that. The players seem to be like everybody's involved in this is loving, like what's going on a lot of them seem to be talking about like how like the clubhouse feels different to like the regular season. Mark de Roso even himself as saying that like in the past when he was playing, players were just chill in the clubhouse or chill in the hotel lobby after the game because that's all they could do, and like players don't normally do that because they can go home and play on their Xbox or stream or go to go do so many things that like were just not available in the past, so they don't they don't interact in the same way they did before. So it was very interesting to hear to say that, like their players are almost like actually interacting like a team like they used to, and how that's actually kind of having a positive impact. But now, yeah, Houston, it's it's been wet and mudgy for most of the time, so compared to Phoenix, which was just hot and dry heat. But now it's it's an amazing experience to be out here. We kind of I can't I can't really say many bad words around it because it's just unbelievable to be able to get to watch these games, get to to see and have the conversations with not just the players get to comment on how small Jeff Passon and Ken Rosenthal and John Morosi all are. If you wanted to know, Bob Nightingale is actually quite tall. He's definitely like the the person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he is quite a tall man.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Combining the of the ones together, it's definitely it's a different experience.
Speaker 2: But no, it's just it's just nice.
Speaker 3: You just kind of get to meet and say hello to some other people. Obviously, I've done a couple of many views with Vinnie, and I've chatted to him a couple of other points during the this week, and he is just genuinely like a wonderful person, Like he is seems so friendly, so willing to chat, seems to be having the time of his life. But this has generally been a passion project for him. He was in the press conference after the game yesterday was is like I'm struggling not to like cry here. It's like, this is a big moment. This is a lot of efforts that have been put in blah bah by himself, but many of the other people involved, and so seeing that sort of stuff and then and then seeing the other side of him where before the before the game.
Speaker 2: Before the USA Gain.
Speaker 3: He was basically Bobby and Witt was coming out of the interview room and he was coming into the interview room and he was like, oh, oh, are we allowed to shake hands or we allowed to hug? Having making discussions of the everybody getting upset about Carl Ally and Randia rose Arena having just a thing between friends, which everybody assumed was way worse than it actually was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Vinnie, I mean every piece of Vinnie content I think I consume makes it seem like he's one of the people who it's especially in a short tournament like this, if you're trying to get a bit of clubhouse chemistry going, I think the of that cannot be overstated. He must be a tremendous guys having there to bring a team together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like if there is if you want to talk about like a player that you have, people say like all they have intangibles or whatever, or is a clubhouse glue or whatever, Like Vinnie one hundred percent has that. Like everybody who's involved in this Italian team is born in he is. It's even Francisco Savelli was like, it's Vinnie's team, Like he's done a lot of the effort, but he's the one who's basically just allowed people to be to be people. Yeah, Semelli said that like a lot of the time when young players come in there, they can be quite they have to how do we have to behave behind like how the veterans are or whatever, And Viny's not like a massive veteran like himself or anything like that, but he's set the tone basically of like, no, boys, we be ourselves.
Speaker 2: And you be you.
Speaker 3: And that's kind of basically what helps basically these these players come through. Because for this first few games, it was it was the bottom of the lineup for Ida, leader was hitting like didn't until that game that was over twelve before more heating is three home runs. But against USA, I think they went over twenty two. The top five in the order did. So it's like those young guys are really stepping up and I kind of having those great momments in it, and it's just it's just fantastic to see people have fun playing baseball because it's clear that everybody who is here playing is genuinely having fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been wonderful to see, I think, and another great part of this tournament and we don't really get you know, I think they've faded away the curmudgeons who you know, complain about batflips and people having fun on the field that we don't get so much of NMLB anymore. But you really really get the sense in this tournament that that you know, nobody would even think about saying that. That know, the fans, the players, they're all having too much fun for somebody to come out and say this isn't how you play the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, speaking of bat flips, Jack Haglione did say in the in the post game for his one is that he was meant to let go a lot earlier, but the pine ta got stuck on the glove and so basically like by the time he basically actually came out of his hand and he'd launched it a lot.
Speaker 1: For I thought he was going to hit somebody in the dugout with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was just like after he left it, he was saying that he was like, oh, bollock, because I've nearly like hit somebody. But it's just amazing to see these moments. It's amazing to see like constantly with the WBC being an opportunity for young players to come up and get to show themselves on a stage that they maybe would normally get to see. So obviously with Lucas Hramirez for Brazil and with Kemon as well, they're getting the breaking Aro and Judges band and getting into Granta, into into the double play. Like Niger to probably just added like a load to his reputation from striking out three major league players, including getting Gunner Henderson to.
Speaker 2: Strike out swinging for the last out.
Speaker 3: He did say that he was trying to cheer and celebrate towards the fans, but maybe directed a little bit too much of the dugout because of some of the US players were just like, oh, yeah, we're going to get you, boy, We're going to get you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wonderful to say somebody great stories made and yeah, somebody profiles raised as well. As part of this, Gav did ask us about the Olympics. There are implications in this tournament beyond just who wins the tournament. So I don't know if you can speak to that briefly about the implications for who advances and who doesn't hear and how that might affect what we see at the Olympics in twenty eight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So It's the weird thing with base in the Olympics is because it's a team sport and it's a they don't want many teams actually in it team sport to take up too much based in England Village. So there's only six teams that actually will be in the Olympics, and so that means that one of them is already guaranteed because it's USA, the host nation. The WBCE and like the Olympic Committee, decided how we're going to fill out the rest of the five spots. The America's part of the allocation decided that they were just going to do it based on the two teams that do best in the World Baseball Classic. So whichever two teams that are classed in the Americas, which is basically as any North Central or South American or Caribbean team that will finish in the top two below the US will qualify for the Olympics. No other country has chosen to use this. Most of the rest of the qualification will come via the twenty twenty seven Premier twelve, So the top Asian team which will form in that twenty twelve, and the top europe slash Oceana team will qualify, so that's something that GB has a possibility of doing. They're in qualifiers at the end of this year and there has been announced to they will be playing I'm now going to forget because it is in China, but they are facing up I think I'm going to start to double check this on the part which is always the best one. They're playing against China and che and Nico Agua, so that once again that's something that they can potentially do well. Qualify that gets them through to the tournament, and then they have to be basically the West European team and Australia out of those out of those teams, and that would be a possible qualification for the Olympics. If they fail to do that, which is probably more likely, they're the GB's only route is then via the final qualification tournament, which will have the two top teams from the Asian Baseball Championships that haven't qualified, the two top teams from European Championships, the top Oceania team and the top African team. So effectively there will then be a mini tournament between all of those to go through, which imagining that probably those top Asian teams potentially could include one of like Japan or Korea, or potentially it will include one in Japan or Korea. It's going to be a very difficult tournament to actually.
Speaker 2: Like qualify through.
Speaker 3: So it's not it's out there, but it's it is a weird kind of thing that we have qualification for the Olympics coming through the wide routes available. But I don't think it's going to really play into the mind of any of the teams or the that I here right now. It just gives them something to an extra thing to kind of like to think about once it's all done and dusted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I imagine they're very much focus on the task at hand at the moment, not thinking about something in two and a half time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's probably somebody at the back there. I don't know who was.
Speaker 3: Who is the Gary Anderson equivalent for some of these other countries and stuff like that, the delegations, the mark on Mataratzi, who is for Italy? Who who kind of thinking about these sorts of things so far on ahead. But I imagine no one on the USA or Dominican or Venezuelan team is really thinking about that whatsoever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think they'll probably be focused on on just winning at the end of this week. So I think that about covers the action that's happened so far. Obviously, there's lots of great content on the website, Backflipsindre's dot com. Both you and Gav have been posting up a storm there, and you've been doing tons on the socials. Is there anything else that you want to pick out, anything you've got coming up, or or anything you just wanted to highlight as a particularly great moment so far that you've enjoyed.
Speaker 3: I think I do find a couple of things, obviously, like the moment of like the tournament in a way. I was reading some things before the game against Italy. It was like, oh, like Cal Schwarber's monster home run was like the moment of the tournament so far, and I was like, yeah.
Speaker 2: You beating like GB.
Speaker 3: It's not necessarily like what you think like the monster moments are. But I think, yeah, obviously, Gabs done when we actually talk about stuff, Gas written great articles. Gav's been the one who's been tweeting out most of the time, keeping people updated. Where do go look at the site? I think there are a few people who are getting out some of their five reasons to be optimistic because there is still baseball, major League Baseball coming that we're gonna have to switch our brains very quickly to go back to that too. But it is, it is on the horizon for what should be a very interesting MLB season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not long as tourn It's only a couple of weeks away. So this is going to finish, and we're very quickly going to have to be yoh, get these players back to their teams and get ready for the regular season because it's going to be starting, yeah in two weeks time. So all that to look forward to as well. Great stuff. I'm sure we will be back with more after the tournament concludes. Get your recap of the knockout stages should be great to hear, and I think we will have the infamous Prediction pod coming up soon as well at some point everybody's favorite podcast of the year or just mine because they get to up out a spreadsheet, So to look out for all of that and we will catch you next time.