Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, let's do this, ladies and gents, hour number two here on a Thursday afternoon. Appreciate you hanging out with us here on Sports Talk seven ninety. It is coffee and company and we are fueled by Thornton's again. Sign up to become a member of the Refreshming Awards program. You'll save money at the pump and you'll just be living life better than those that don't have that Refreshment Awards membership card in their back pocket. I mean you don't have to have the card. Actually you can just use your phone number. That's what I do. But you know, I do know that if I pull out my wallet, I've got that card on me. In fact, I may use that at times like you ever try to like get in somewhere and you need like a pass or ordure or you know, I might just show just show them the the I wouldn't be shocked. I'm not saying that it's guaranteed to work, but I wouldn't be shocked if you just pull out that Refreshing Awards card. And they're like, oh, you're good, You're good.
Speaker 3: It's just it's exclusive enough to where I think you could get into most places with that car.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're likely going to be like are you good? Or they're gonna say why do you say so?
Speaker 1: Exactly?
Speaker 2: What do you why do you lead with that? So anyways, we've talked a lot about last night's victory for the vill and what I wanted to happen is exactly what ended up happening. You know, they played a team that I'll be honest with you, I can't I'm still surprised that that team was there, but hey, props to them. Uh they they pulled off a couple of upsets along the way and they made it. It was interesting. You know, I think this this Louisville team, the Ville, they they certainly struggle with with defense at times. And it's not because of I just don't think they have a lot of structure defensively to where you know, they'll get up in you, and they've got some you know, some physical presence around the rim Non who's always been a really smart defender, good shot blocker. You know, obviously Russ can can really get in you. Same thing with Chris Jones. But it seems like once that breaks down with if those guards are taking risks out there, which hey, I think the risk usually is worth a reward with those two guys as you're on ball defenders kind of setting the tone defensively for you. But you know, once they if they do get broke down and somebody gets past them, like that's when things kind of fall apart. But you know, offensively, like he let's not make it complicated. Here's here's the thing. From an offensive standpoint. If they run sets and get good looks, they could win this whole thing. I mean not to say that they if they play well, they're going to beat everybody, but like they have talent and ability. I mean, they've got a lot of tools within this roster. You know, I was worried about three point shooting after the first two games, but not because I felt like, you know, they got a bunch of dudes who just simply can't shoot. But you know, David Johnson's a good enough shooter. I mean, Peyton knocked down a couple of big ones last night. Chris Dow shout out Chris dal By the way love Chris Dow's story a Louisville kid. Who I mean, I say, Katy's a grown man now, but he went to Eastern High School, had a phenomenal high school career, went to play for Scotty Davenport at Bellerman relatively early in Scotty's time at Bellerman, and had a phenomenal career when they were Division two. Has had a great run as a pro, played most recently in Italy. Just a good guy who comes from a great family here in town. I know a lot of people that are related to Chris in some way. I don't mean I know them personally or know them well, but just you know, I know he's got some cousins and some uncles out there that are, you know, well known in the community. And he's just a good dude. And I'm so happy that he's able to be a part of this event for the second straight year, because again, he's done enough in his time as a player. I mean, he could stop playing the game now and know that he had a hell of a career and a hell of a run and a lot to be proud of. But you know, he never played for U of L. And you know, I'm sure growing up here in this city, especially the connections that he has to people that have been around you. I'm sure he wanted to do that, not to say he's not content, but like being able to play in front in Freedom Hall, the arena. He watched these you know, Louisville playing as he was growing up and to hear that crowd, and man, he's made an impact. He was so uh he was such I mean, such a spark plug off the bench last night when it comes to knocking down some threes, hitting a couple of tough buckets and really just being a being a bully defensively. So I didn't mean to get sidetracked in what I was talking about, but shout out to Chris Dawe. Man, he's a great guy. And I know this is probably because again I think for a lot of these guy, I mean Chris, you throw Chris dow in the conversation as well as far as these guys who are just experiencing something that they thought they'd never get back. And this is not the same thing as playing in front of twenty two thousand at the Young Center. I know that everybody knows that, but you're playing in front of a passionate group of fans and let's be honest with you. If you're somebody that's made it a point to go to all these games and you're one of the however many thousands that have been there, I don't even care or know what the attendants has been. You're probably somebody who consider Louisville basketball or Louisville athletics part of your religion, not to you know, mock religion, but like it's just part of life, man, It's our lifestyle. I mean, it's a better way to describe it. So you know, there's a there's And again, if it becomes a norm, then maybe that that that feel will wear off a little bit. But I don't know, maybe it won't because for the most part, like I'm sure Shane Behannon specifically never thought he would have a moment. I'm quite sure Shane thought this, he'd never have a moment. Or he is representing Louisville basketball, representing the city of Louisville, and he's playing in front of thousands of fans who really really love what he gave through the program and want to see this team keep winning. Like when you have something that you know was great, you thought you'd never get it back and you realize, man, hey, I gotta I gotta just live with the facts that you know, I'm never gonna have that again. I could play the game for ten years and never have that meaning, that kind of energy, that kind of love from fans, and to hear those cheers and that that, you know, it just is something that you cherish and you know is in the rear view. Well, now you have something that's not exactly that, but it's close enough to where like it's got to be you for it for some of these guys. So I've mentioned that mostly just referencing former Louisville players. Chris Dowe is a guy who didn't play at u of L, but you know, he still had a great career as a great player. And now he's you know, he's one of us, Like we've adopted Chris Dow and Nick Mayo, like they're a part of our Louisville basketball family now, like it or not. So again, he's somebody who also knocked down some threes last night. So again, they've got guys that can knock down shots if they get good looks. And at times you still see guys not taking good looks, right, But man, there was clearly an attention to detail on the offensive end last night, and they were running sets. I mean, David Johnson, he's got a lot of tools in his bag and you know, let him create make plays. But you know, also Peyton Siva, I don't even know what the box score show. Peyton's a guy that Peyton and Nanu and I think if I go, if I pull up the numbers here, I wouldn't be shocked if I see that they both had good nights from a statistic standpoint. But even if they didn't, they make an impact in a way that you know, the box score doesn't show. And that's such a corny cliche that oftentimes is used. But you know a lot of cliches are cliches for a reason because they are chrue. Like Peyton last night, you know, just six points to assist, but man, he's a quarterback out there, he's sett in the tone, he's actually getting them in to some organized situations offensively, and that that that helped, but it really balanced the attack last night. You had Russ and DJ with fifteen, apiece, Tres with eleven, and then how about how about a man Chris Jones seventeen minutes at eleven points, knockdown three of his four to three point attempts, including the one that ended the game. So you know, I still worry a little bit about matching up with this Law Familia team because man, they're loaded and they're good. But you know, you're gonna have home court advantage. I believe, and this is I mean every player from the Louisville side of it and every player from the UK side of it, Like I don't know how many wins each of them, obviously, I believe. You know, DJ was a part of a Louisville win for Louisville in the rivalry game. Chris Jones was not, Tres was, Peyton was, Russ was, so like, they've beat Kentucky, but they also lost to him. In fact, I would be willing to bet that there's not a guy on the Louisville on the Louisville roster that has a winning record against against Kentucky just because like they've won a lot more than they've lost against us. That's just, you know, that's the reality of it. I hope it changes. But you know, there were times where Louisville had really good teams and you felt like, hey, you know, we should win this year. They're not as good. But then there was times where Louiville had really of teams and you knew that if both teams play to their full potential, you're probably still gonna lose. Because that's the kind of teams Cali Parry assembled in that timeline, in that era, And some of those guys I'm referencing that played for Calipari during that time are now playing for you know, for this team, so you know, I I'm not sure. Actually, I bet there's already a spread. I'm sure you haven't watched much of either team, John, but uh, I'm gonna guess that the I'm gonna guess that Kentucky will be the Law Familia team will be a slight favorite.
Speaker 3: I'm thinking Kentucky minus two and a half men. That may even be it may even be closer than that.
Speaker 2: Let's see what we got here, all right? Uh, three and a half Kentucky three and a half favorites here, which isn't isn't a huge surprise. But all of these games, I mean, it is it is tricky to to handicap this meaning, like I really don't even know how you would mean if you mean if you watched it closely, which clearly every sports book has somebody that is tracking that kind of stuff. They're not just you know, throwing a number out there to see just to just to see what kind of action they get as far as who does what with their wagers. But the biggest difference in spread is the Carmen's crew. That's the Ohio State team. They are a four and a half point favorite over takeover BC. So anyways, everybody involved Kentucky, the Law, familiar guys, and the Ville like, there's feelings and still emotion and energy that'll never go away because you were literally a part of the rivalry. And even if you are Kentucky and you I mean, let's let's put it this way. Willie Caley Stein, I would imagine he does not have an l two. In fact, let me look at their team, because I gotta be honest with you, I'm not sure how many guys that I'm not sure how many guys they have that have that have that have lost to Louisville ever, Like I know the Harrison Twins didn't. They were only there what two years, and I know they didn't. They didn't lose to them Bledsoe only there one year, didn't lose Cistina. Cistina might have been on the team that lost to Louisville in the COVID year. I could be wrong on that, but when Mac won, that could have been. That could have been the year that Cistina was there. Calie Stein I don't think he was a part of any team that lost. Kellen Grady I'm not sure he ever played Louisville because that was the year they didn't play. James Young was only there one year, Daniel Orton was only there one year. So yeah, I mean, these guys still know it's the rival, even if they were there one year, Like they know that's that's the team you hate, and they should, you know. I'm sure they they're they're probably not, like put it, let's put it this way. I would imagine that there's even though it's not the same thing, like there's some vengeance on the minds of guys like Russ and Peyton. I mean, Peyton beat him the last time he played him and won a national championship that year US his career ended to them in a game that like he played well and dunked on Julius Randall but he also missed a bunch of free throws and it was impactful towards the end of that game. And that's still to this day, that is the most painful loss I've ever experienced as a Louisville fan. I mean it, it was hard. So I'm sure there's some vengeance on the mind. I mean Tres Tres was on that team too, that lost in the Sweet sixteen. Tres was also on the team the following year that was really good. In fact, that year when they played Louisville and Kentucky played in the twenty fourteen to fifteen season. I could be wrong. I'm gonna look it up here. I think that was the highest ranked that we've ever seen both teams when they've played each other, because that game took place in twenty fourteen to fifteen. It was at the Young Center and uh yeah, you'd have to I think I'd have to pull up the uh yeah. So they played each other in December twenty fourteen and Kentucky was number one, Louisville was number four, and Kentucky that year, if you remember, went all the way. That was the twenty fourteen to fifteen team that went to the National or to the final four and lost to Wisconsin, Right, wasn't that? Yeah? That was fifteen. Louisville lost in the Elite eight to Michigan State with some mango Matthew miss free throws. So you know, there's hatred there. And I'm sure now that they're growing up, they've probably played against each other in the pros rather it be the NBA or elsewhere. But man, when they line up on Monday, I mean, there's gonna be like there. There's still a rivalry element in a major way. And you know, I kind of like knowing that these guys feel like they need to get one over this Kentucky crew because they felt as if that's the worst part about the Caliperry era now that I'm thinking about it. Here we are reliving, sort of referencing the best era of Louisville basketball in my lifetime. I mean from two thousand and I mean two thousand and eight, two thousand and nine was great. To Elite eights. In twenty ten down year for sure. Twenty eleven goodyear, but you got upset by Morehead twelve Final four, thirteen National Title, fourteen, Sweet sixteen, fifteen Elite eight, like that's a hell of a run, best run in my lifetime. And yet you still only beat Kentucky one time in that stretch and they ended your season twice. So, you know, Louisville should feel real. But usually when you feel like you were at your top, you were doing really well. Again, Louisville won the most recent national championship. You want to be able to say that you were really sticking it to your rival, But Louisville wasn't, you know, And that just that's unfortunately, doesn't change how I view those guys in that great run that I just referenced. But I'm hopeful that they've got some real, uh you know, built up energy to go out and give the fans and themselves a victory over Kentucky. That isn't the same thing as, you know, beating them in the tournament like they did you or knocking them off in December with a packed house at RUP or at the Young but it's something. It's something, and I'm hopeful that that's what ends up happening all right, real quick before we get to our first time out here in the four o'clock hour, I think Alex Saar is a very lucky young man. And when I say Alex Saar, I know some people know. I mean a lot of people probably know who I'm talking about, but like maybe not. This is a guy who went number two in the NBA draft, and you know with that, there's a lot of high expectations nineteen year old kids seven foot tall. I mean, he's a guy that if you're taking in the second pick, with the second pick in the draft, I mean, you are somebody that a franchise views is a potential franchise player that they give a max contract to, then they give the super max contract, true to like that, that's that's the expectation when you have a top two pick. And I think because of a lot of things going on in the world, including it in basketball, it just completely got like ignored that he was awful, awful in the summer league. He played I don't know how many games, but here's his total stats, John nine of forty seven from the field. And then there's the metric that is the per mark, like three point eight per and I'll and maybe we can nerd out and and and you know, look at exactly what that all can. But it's it's an analytic or it's a It's a stat based off analytics that really kind of tells you how efficient you are when you're on the floor, right are you? You know, it's not plus minus, but it's probably somewhere in that same in that same space. But that his PERR was the worst of any first rounder in Summer league history that played the amount of minutes that he played. Like, when I say he's lucky, I mean like there's not as much coverage as there would typically be for that. Therefore he's probably not you know, I mean if I was a nineteen year old kid and that was me, I would still feel bad about, like, Man, I didn't do well. I would be second guessing myself. I would be questioning my ability. But if you had to turn on ESPN and hears Steven A. Smith yapping about you being a bomb, that would make it even worse, right, especially if you're a young kid. So you know, I kind of feel like this just got swept under the rug to where you know, he's probably not going to be hearing about it as much as you typically would. You know, Yeah, he shot nineteen percent from the floor in the in the event.
Speaker 3: I'm curious if he were to have played a year in if that would have helped him, or if that would have exposed him more, and maybe he wouldn't have gotten drafted at all, because why are NBA teams taking chances on these guys if they really don't know what they're getting. It seems like, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Would say this. I think it's still a small enough sample size to where we don't know for sure, but I you know, if I'm being real, I would say that this would if he played in college. You know, in two years, he would be somebody that they're still talking about upside and potential, but nobody would be willing to risk a big investment, like a first round pick on him. Maybe we're way wrong, Like maybe he ends up being an All first team rookie because the summer league is so misleading for guys who play really well and guys who are bums. There's there's a ton of evidence that shows that. But you know, like, to me, he's a seven footer that has some skill for a seven footer that can occasionally knock down the shot. But I mean, what is like, what is there's so many dudes that get drafted off potential and potential, you know, can be untapped for years and then it really really explodes and you become the guy everybody thought you could be. But he My guess is that Alex Sar ends up being one of many that had appealing size, athleticism, upside things that you know, you all that you chalk up when it comes to determining potential, But like, what's his weapon? What is he doing that makes him a guy like you to be in the NBA for a long time. I feel like you got to have one thing that you do really well, shooting defense, you know, good locker room guy, good good physical presence, good size, right like things like that, like you know, and maybe he finds that and he becomes a role player and plays, you know, that role, a minor role for a team forever. But like, man, it looked bad and I think and by the way, two things Bronnie being the guy who got all the attention helped Sar. But let's be honest, Bronnie was better. Bronnie was a better summer league player than this guy. And it really wasn't close because Bronnie, you know, he actually started playing pretty well late for you know, for a guy that was drafted towards the end of the second round. All right, we're out of time here. I've gone way too long. Apologies. We'll take a quick break. We'll talk to some football coming up. On the other side. We'll also get at the text line, so stick with us. It's coffee and Company. Philbouth Thorton's right here on Sports Talk seven to ninety. All right, let's go to the text line five two sixty five three zero seven ninety. That is the LLNN Federal Credit Union text line. Members get more at llen NFCU. You can learn more and open your account today at LNFCU dot com. All right, so this text says, Nick, I'm totally with you. I think this team for Jeff Brown will be even better than last year's team. But as you've said and others have said, it doesn't mean the record will be quite as good. Nobody seems to be talking about how the portal makes it impossible to really know what anybody has. Yeah, I mean I I I think you're right. You know, I remember last year that was a big talking point really with both basketball and football. As far as when you have a portal led roster, as far as you know, really loading, you could feel good, you could be I mean, you could you could feel like, wow, we went out and got this player who has this resume, that player who has that resume, and feel as if you've got pieces. But again, it is it is a big question mark as far as how it all comes together, how it works, because you know, there are some teams out there in both sports actually that the portal looked like it was going to be great to them, and it really wasn't. You know, Louisville last year, you know, let's be honest, they probably were a ten win team for a variety of reasons, one being the schedule was you know, fairly manageable. They didn't they avoided you know, some some of the elite teams that well, and there really weren't elite teams in the ACC last year, to be honest with you, I think Louisville, you know, there's nobody in the ACC that they avoided that you feel like if they had a played, they'd have gotten mopped or something like that. I mean, obviously they could have lost it to anybody, because they did lose to Pittsburgh, which means you can't lose to anybody. So my point is this, like you know, like last year, Louisville being able to go out and reload in the portal like they did. I mean, it made it to where in Jeff's first year they could have a roster turnover of thirty players gone and go out and be just fine. So and I do love for those that weren't listening towards the end of the show yesterday. I mean, Jeff really talked about wanting to win now, and you know, in a previous world you can. I mean, everybody wants to win at all times. You never don't want to win, but they're used to. In the previous world of college athletics, you would you were, you were going to do whatever you were. You were going to be a young team if that's the way it played out, and you had no control because you couldn't just go get veterans right like so, if you had a big if you lost a bunch of guys to graduation and some to the NFL that left early, you know, you had your freshman class coming in. But other than that, you needed the guys that were still around that played. And then you know a lot that didn't play the year before because they were behind on the depth chart, like they weren't. If they weren't going to be ready to go and produce, then you were going to be able to say, well, this is a rebuilding year, right, you know we're gonna be We're gonna be competitive, but man, you know we're building something special, like the the the era of patience is gone in sports for fans, in college sports for fans, because the portal gives you the ability to not be young. And I mean Jeff said it yesterday in a different way that actually, you know, he didn't reference young. He just referenced like, we want to win now and and our players understand. And you know he didn't he didn't go deep into it as far as how he answered the question at the podium. But what I gathered from it was that we talk to our players at all times about always wanting to win. Therefore, I think that's helped when you go out and you add players at certain positions, you know it's because we want to win. This guy's gonna make us better. Doesn't mean you can't compete, doesn't mean you won't be a part of this, doesn't mean you're not going to get reps. But you know we're gonna go just I think I think there's clearly a mindset here that no matter what you do and what you've produced and where you are on the depth chart, if we got a chance to go get more players that could make us some more talented team, we're gonna go do that, regardless of feelings. And I think some guys have understood that and they've they've you know, they've adapted and you know, maybe put feelings aside and realized that, hey, the better we are, the better it is for me, even if my role is a little bit more minimal than what I want. And then there's some guys who, you know, see the writing on the wall and they leave. I mean, that's that's what happens. And look more power to them like that. I don't I don't knock them for that. I think that's understandable. You only get a certain amount of time to play college football, and if you know that you're in a great spot, but you got two guys ahead of you that might get more reps than you, like, I would leave too, Like, I mean I would. You got to look out for yourself. So yeah, I mean maybe, like you know, I think to the point of this Texter, like yeah, like there's probably some teams on the schedule that we're assuming are going to be pretty good and challenging, and we could be way off because maybe they didn't they didn't add a huge impressive portal class, but man, they got guys that have been sitting there ready to play, and they're going to be really good. You just never know, I mean, you never know regardless, even pre portal, you didn't know how any teams can actually perform whenever it comes down to it. But yes, the portals made it even harder to predict. But like last year, the number one portal class in the country was Colorado and they were terrible. You know, USC they were number three, and yes, USC, you know they obviously you know, beat Louisville in that Bowl game, but by all accounts, USC had a very very disappointing year ole miss I would think it's safe to say that they used the portal and got better and it helped them. LSU was the fourth rank class. I don't think Brian Kelly had that. I mean, I could be wrong and they weren't terrible, because it's rare that LSU's ever bad. But you know, lshu's a program that has high standards. In fact, they were pre season top five, and I would imagine that pre season top five. You know, some of it had to do with their portal class, and you know they went six and two in the SEC, so they were good. I mean, I feel like six and two, ten and three overall is probably even at LSU a season to where you probably feel a little underwhelmed, but you won't be able to look in the mirror and say that your team was bad. Right, So again to your point, you don't know what anybody has. Louiell actually was a good example of that because they were picked to finish. We look it up. I'm pretty sure Louisville was picked to finish last year in the ACC Mean look twenty twenty three ACC preseason media poll. I feel like Louisville might have been picked to finish like seventh. Yeah, here he is the ACC predicted order of finish. Louisville came in at number eight. Yeah. So they came in at number eight and they ended up coming in. They ended up finishing second in the league. Pitt was picked to finish, tied for six with Duke. I mean Florida State. Clemson was picked to win the league by a hair Florida State second, North Carolina third, and c Date fourth, Miami fifth, Duke and Pitt Todd for six in Louisville was number eight. So yeah, again, preseason rankings, man, like they're worthless. We all know that, but at least it gives you like a reference point. But I'm sure and last year, like I'm looking at Louiville scheduled from a year ago because I'm trying to think of an example where you know, you faced a team that you felt like, man, they were going to be really terrible or they were gonna be really great and you were way wrong. But I kind of feel like everybody lit of a play last year was kind of who you thought. I mean, Georgia Tech maybe ended up being a little better when it's all said and done. Notre Dame. They were, you know, they had a good year, not great. Who else Let's see, Duke kind of fell apart late, but they ended up being I think, you know, at the time Louisville played Duke, Duke was in a pretty good spot. Ended up being way worse, but you lost to them. N C State, I think they were kind of what you've expected. Boston College. You beat the brakes off them. They ended up actually having a better year than probably anybody expected because they ended up going to a bowl game, which is, you know, nothing crazy, but that's not usually what Boston College does. Indiana that was a close game and they ended up having a bad year. Virginia Tech. He beat him thirty four to three, and they, you know, they took steps forward. Virginia was terrible. Miami was probably a little worse than people expected. So yeah, look, you never know, you never know. A right back to the text line five O two six five three zero seven ninety again it's the L and N Federal Credit Union text line. This Tech says Nick, do you think Louisville has a realistic chance to land Jasper Johnson? He did include Louisville in his final five Ye'll let me pull it up here. I had that tweet up in front of me earlier because I did see that that in that By the way, for those who don't know, Jasper Johnson is election in Native I'm pretty sure his father played football at UK. He attended Woodford County High School, was a star there, and I believe, in fact, I know he left for a prep school but I think he might be back at Woodford for his senior season. But he's the number twelve overall player in the twenty twenty five class and his final five schools are Kentucky, North Carolina, Alabama, Arkansas, and Louisville. So he's going to make his decision in late August. So this is a guy that within the next month is going to make a decision and he's really good. Oh yeah, So I'm sorry he ended up transferring from the prep school and I guess I don't even know if you consider it a transfer, but he's going to play for Overtime Elite. But he's a five star kid. He's the number two shooting guard in the country and he's special. So as far as Louisville, you know, I don't. I mean, I know Pat Kelsey has recruited him and they're in the top five, so that's a good sign. But I mean I think for well, I don't know. I would have said there's no chance that he doesn't end up at Kentucky if Cal is there, But now you know, i'd still say to the favorite because he's lexing kid and he again his dad went to the UK. But I don't know, don't I don't want to get anybody's hopes up. I also will tell you straight up, I have no clue what this kid's gonna do. But I guess it's somewhat encouraging to see that he's he's listing Louisville in his top five. But if he's making a decision in August, like, he won't have any like if if Louisville and Kentucky are the schools that he's maybe prep he likes, because I mean, he could end up at Carolina, Arkansas or who's the other one, Alabama, and those are great programs with great coaches. But if there is sort of a well I want to stay home at Lowell or Kentucky, he won't have anything to base if he's making his decision, which again a verbal commit means nothing. But it's not like he's gonna have any you know, any any games to reference or any success or failure from these two coaches, right because by the time he's committing, if it is in August, Pope and Kelsey won't have coached a game yet. So yeah, I hope they can land him, because again, he'd be one of the best players that ever committed to Louisville, considering the fact that he's the number twelve player in the country. But I'd just be b ess and if I told you I had any feel for which direction he's leaning, and again I would say Kentucky would be my guest, just because again his father played there and he's from Lexington, all right, speaking to Pat Kelsey. Props to Pat Kelsey for doing this. So Peyton Siva of course advanced last night in the TBT to this Elite eight round against La Familia. But you know, without the phone call that he received from Pat Kelsey last night, Peyton would have had to tell the guys, hey, sorry, can't make it. I gotta work, because you know, he's now on the staff. Therefore he's supposed to be in the Bahamas with his team when they take off this weekend. But Pat Kelsey called him and told him, Hey, don't worry about it, man, join us when you get done. So I never even thought about that, but I'm sure Peyton did. And nice to know that, Pat Kelly, because, by the way, like that would be a real I mean, I don't know if Pat Kelsey told Peyton Siva he couldn't play and he had to go with the team of the Bahamas. I'm very curious just to know what the reaction would have been from fans, because I think there's one side of like, come on, dude, like this is awesome, Like why are you gonna take this moment away from him? You know we need this as fans. But then there's others that would probably sayd yep, Pat's Kelsey's all business, TVT H whatever, Who cares. He's got a team to get ready for of his first season and he needs Peyton Siva to help coach. Like I am totally not surprised that he made that decision to let him play, and I assume most coaches would have done it. But like Pat Kelsey's in an era right now where he can do no wrong. Like anything he does, people are gonna be like, you know, loving it, which, hey, that's what this time is for. He hasn't had a chance to coach a game and show us anything yet, but he's doing all the right things when it comes to you know, the honeymoon. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. Wrap up the four o'clock hour, keep this thing rolling along. Hopefully you guys will stick with us. Something else I might get to before we run out of time. Today, there's new scholarship numbers for the major D one programs out there, which you know, I don't want to nerd out on numbers, but sort of what this means for the expense that universities are going to have to pay now if they choose to pay the players, which they're going to have to, is monumental. Also, I imagine there's some fantasy football drafts that are going to be coming up here in the next few weeks, maybe the next month or so, for your fantasy football league. And I've found some really really cool ideas that I've seen other leagues do as far as the order of pick, who gets what pick. So we'll get into that in a lot more. Keep it locked right here on Sports Talk seven ninety all right, so let's go back to the text line. This good question that comes in. It says Nick, you've said it best. This event is going to be our thing moving forward. I think they're talking about the TVT says I'm already stressing about who's going to be on the roster next year. Have you heard of anybody that hasn't been a part of the team yet that wants to join next year. So I know there's some guys that didn't get asked to play, probably not because of any reason in regards to their game or their ability, but just because again, you've got to be able to make this work. So I know, you know, I know Ryan McMahon, and again I can't say he would have played, meaning like you know, he would have done it for nothing, because again, not everybody to my understanding, maybe it's changed, but not everybody gets the same cut it used to be. It actually used to be public. Like if you go to the TVT website year in years past, you could go to the roster and it'll show you the amount of money this person's gonna get if they collect the the you know, the prize, and now that doesn't show that, which makes total sense. I thought that was kind of odd that they put that out there. Anyways, However, you know, you gotta make it worth their while at some point, right, especially if these guys are still playing basketball as their job to where they need to not get injured, if they're gonna risk injury, you know, there's got to be something if it makes it worth it for them, So I know Ryan didn't get asked to play, and I think he would been a good asset because again, he can just fly out shoot the ball. So I know there are other guys that like would that probably would would would play if they were, you know, pursued, and it made sense, like I can't think of many that would you know, just say hell no, like I don't want to play, Like no, I'm good. I mean, Donovan can't play, right, Terry Rozier can't play because there in the NBA, Damien Lee can't play because they're in the NBA. But man, there's I mean, there's all kinds of options. In fact, maybe we get into that in the five o'clock hour because I want to make sure I've got I don't want to just go off the cuff here, because I was thinking about it last night and even earlier today when talking to somebody that if you consider dudes who are from Louisville but didn't play at U of L, like Christal, I mean, you could really put together a damn good team. I mean, one guy that nobody's talked about that I've heard that, I mean, he is playing at a really high level still on the younger side. In fact, he's gotten I mean he's a guy it was a late bloomer as it is, and he's become a much better player now that he's a pro than whenever he was in college. That's Steven Enoch. I mean, Steven Enoch is a hell of a player and he's been super successful as a pro, and I mean he would be he'd be a great addition if he wanted to play. So you know, I don't want ta attention away from the guys that are currently playing, because man, they had a great game last night. But man, there's all kinds of option as far as what you could do, and eventually, you know, not that they're old, they're old dudes. I mean, in fact, you know, Russ Smith still looks like the same guy he was when he played here ten years ago. But you know, he's now an entrepreneur and you know, I know he's going to try to continue to play the game and make money doing it. But you know, at some point these guys probably just will decide, hey, I'll be a part of this, but I'm not going to play. I don't I don't see that happening anytime soon. With Russ just because again, you know, I'm sure he's not playing at the level that he would want to be playing at because since he's been in Louisville, he's put so much energy and effort into his brand and that is his bourbon company. But you know you saw last night. I mean, Russ in any moment can still get hot and take over a game. And that's something that you know, not many others on this roster, if any can do the way Russ does. All right, speaking of former Louisville Cardinals, so Carleague Jones, we talked about him earlier this week because he became, you know, really a national story in the world of basketball after putting up a triple double against Team USA for South Sudan. That has never happened. Nobody's ever put up a triple double against Team USA before. So you know, he's proven at every opportunity he's had that he is an NBA player. And when I say proven it, I mean he's done phenomenal in the G League. When he got called up, he played really really well. And you know he's he's he's viewed, I would imagine by the NBA executives as a Doma doesen't guy like an undersized guard. That is good. But man, you know he's not special. We don't we don't have to have him. And I feel like, now he's got that performance against Team USA under his belt again the world's best players, you know, he's probably gonna get some some legitimate attention. So Markt who covers the NBA, put this out there. This is interesting. So he's already signed for next season. And look, I get it. If you're Carl Leak, Like he didn't play in the Summer League. You know, he's going out there and he's gonna make He's gonna make as much money as he can. Like he's a guy that will go to the NBA if it's there, but he's also going to look out for himself and realize, hey, if I can make you know, maybe a million dollars, half a million, I have no clue what it is. Playing in Serbia, that's what I'm gonna go do. And I think that's where he played last year. So he's already under contract. However, a lot of these guys, if the NBA is still a realistic option, to some extent, they leave that option open. Therefore, mark Steiner is reporting that NBA teams have until today to pursue him, so his contract with his new team takes full effect. I guess tomorrow. So if Carl League Jones is going to get a shot at the NBA, I would imagine that, you know, we'll find out today. And here's something that Carl Leak is probably gonna do, and I would do the same thing. If they give you an invite to training camp, don't go take the money in the in Serbia because the training camp invited is not a guarantee. And if you get cut, then that ought that you know, you won't be able to play with that team that's probably willing to pay you a lot of money. Right now, all right, we got five o'clock hour coming your way, so stick around right here on Sportsbox seven ninety