Speaker 1: How'd you like to listen to dot net rocks with no ads? Easy? Become a patron for just five dollars a month. You get access to a private RSS feed where all the shows have no ads. Twenty dollars a month. We'll get you that and a special dot net Rocks patron mug. Sign up now at Patreon dot dot NetRocks dot com. We're back dot net rocks. That's right, nineteen twenty nine. I'm Carl Franklin, Robert Campbell. April Joho is here with us. We'll talk to her in just a minute. But uh, you know we're coming into the holiday season, Richard. Oh yes, and I'm wondering, you know, are you gonna you're gonna do some geek outs?
Speaker 2: Oh? I've been right been writing my brains out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, have you thought about any toys you might want?
Speaker 2: We just published the Toy Show on run As Radio, which is like Christmas for cissid Bins. It's we've done at like six years in a row now because sisms are impossible to buy.
Speaker 1: For right, Yeah, of course.
Speaker 2: So it's a Joey Snow and Rick Claus because having claws and snow on a show about Christmas toys just sort of makes sense.
Speaker 1: That's just going to be over the top, just sort.
Speaker 2: Of worked out that way weirdly enough.
Speaker 1: Well, I have a Christmas present for you, my friend, oh oh, that you are not going to believe. And you know you and I are very hard to buy for, yeah, without a doubt. And so Kelly got this gift for me and I was like, oh, yeah, Richard needs one of these.
Speaker 2: So what have you done?
Speaker 1: We'll wait and see after the holidays. What happened? First? Before we get going, let's roll the crazy music for better no framework possible?
Speaker 2: All right, man?
Speaker 1: What have got? Well, as you know, I do this other podcast with Patrick Hines and Duyne Laflotte called Security This Week, and we we basically talk about security issues but through the lens of current events, with a whole bunch of dad jokes thrown in there. So we laugh a lot. But you know, you have to sort of spice up this content because it's very dull.
Speaker 2: It can be.
Speaker 1: Security can be very dry, and when.
Speaker 2: It's not dull, it's terrifying, right, Like.
Speaker 1: That's sort of your choices, Yeah, yeah, and terrifying it is, and so you know, we have to laugh and that's why. But anyway, we decided to open a Discord channel and it has become very popular. Not only are people asking questions and interacting and stuff and giving us suggestions for stories, but they're also learning a lot from Attrick and Dwayne, Like they're going to be doing sort of training in Discord that you couldn't get anywhere else. You know, these guys are just like real pros. So I wanted to give you the Discord Channel. This being episode nineteen twenty nine. If you go to nineteen twenty nine dot pwoppwop dot me, that'll bring you to the Discord channel for security this week. And you should should you know, if you're interested in security, is a good thing to do. It's a good community.
Speaker 2: Absolutely cool man.
Speaker 1: And it being nineteen twenty nine, we can't talk about that year without touching on the Wall Street crash.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a big one.
Speaker 1: That was a big thing in nineteen twenty nine. What was what was your favorite event?
Speaker 2: It was also the first time as Zeppelin flew around the world.
Speaker 1: Wow yeah, wow, wow, bad timing. You know.
Speaker 2: I find the titled a machine That'll fly you all the way around the world, and then I mean, it's not Mark crash was bad. It was a twelve percent drop. Yeah, but you know they call that the trigger of the Great Depression. Yep, mostly because they had a tough time figuring out what to do after that.
Speaker 1: There really wasn't enough money in the system to support that kind of drop, right.
Speaker 2: Yep, and it had a little cascading event. Yeah, good fun. Nineteen twenty nine.
Speaker 1: Right, good fun. All right, who's talking to us today?
Speaker 2: Richard gradukommadov a show eighteen sixty five, the one we did with our friend April back in September of twenty three, so a little over a year ago. We were talking about Azure and GitHub and our friend Mark wan Sall had this comed He said, I always love listening to April talking about DevOps, and now the talk is moving away from DevOps and towards platform engineering, which might be an interesting Donna Rocks Tappen's episode, Oh maybe I do definitely do platform engineering on run Ass Radio. A few years ago, Spotify donating a tool called Backstage. It's at backstage dot io to the Cloud Native Foundation, which builds developer portals. So this whole idea of being able to divide cloud resources to developers sort of self service with governance. While this looks promising from a corporate standards point of view, I wonder if the balance of power moves too much in favor of option away from developer agility. Always interesting times. I don't know mark giving smart Developers don't want administrator passwords because then it could be their fault.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: The whole point about the portal approach is that if you do harm with what you instantiate through the portal, that's on the people who organize the portal, not on you. You have or should be living within constraints, so you know you should push back on what you're capable of doing if it's actually an impediment. But creating these sort of guard rails so that you control costs, like you limit the number of dumb things that happen. They're really important, and you know you don't want to find out the end of the month the ACCID at least been one hundred thousand dollars because you'll let some stuff up forgot to turn it off. That shouldn't be possible through these portals. So you know, save yourself some pain, use the portal and push on it. What does and do the job. Good advice, Richer, not that I have strong opinions about these things. Yeah, so Mark, thank you so much your comment and a copy of music Coby is on its way to you, and if you'd like a copy of music co buy. I write a comment on the website at don at Rocks dot com on the facebooks. We publish every show there, and you comment there and everybody in the show. We'll send your copy of music go by.
Speaker 1: And you can further contact us on a variety of social media platforms other than Facebook. We've both been on ex Twitter for a number of years. That's what I'm calling it now ex Twitter. It seems like it's everybody's ex now used to be Twitter. But we're also on Blue Sky of course. I'm Carl Franklin b Sky's Social and that's social, and you're Rich Campbell. I'm Rich Campbell dot best Guide on Social and also I'm Masdon. I'm Carl Franklin at tech cub.
Speaker 2: Dot Social, and I'm Rich Campbell at Master.
Speaker 1: So there you go. So get in touch with us one way or another for any reason. But if you ask a question or have a comment and Richard reads it, we'll send you a copy of music to code buy for sure.
Speaker 2: And by the way, I did put out on four on the X and the Blue Skies and the Threads and the Massodons that I was working on the geek outs last weekend. And I guess which one I got the most feedback on. I'm thinking Blue Sky is Blue Sky?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm getting more engagement there than anywhere else too.
Speaker 2: I got feedback on all of them, to be honest, So I'm very flattered, like that was nice. People love the geek out. So I got a long list of things you'll when we actually published a meal here, I'm going to mention your name if you asked a question.
Speaker 1: Very cool.
Speaker 2: But yeah, the Blue Sky response was swift and thorough excellent. All right, So let's bring back to dot net rocks. April Yoho.
Speaker 1: So. She is a senior developer advocate and DevOps practicely at GitHub, specializing in application transformation and DevOps ways of working. Her focus is to take customers on a journey from legacy technology to server lists and containers where code comes first, while enabling them to take full advantage of DevOps practices. In you spare time, April spends time outdoors hiking, skiing, or scuba diving. That's where your nickname comes from, that you got when you were nine, right, and you're also a triathlete competing in iron Man and half iron Man triathlons. So if I could sum it up, don't with her, She'll kick your ass. Nice Welcome back, April.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Carl. I think that's the best TLDR intro I've ever had in my entire life.
Speaker 1: Very cool. Huh ForWords, that's all you need to know, right down to it.
Speaker 2: That's too funny. How you doing. You've been adventuring?
Speaker 1: Yeah, how you doing? What's going on?
Speaker 3: I'm good. I've been traveling around the world for work. Some pleasure, a little bit of pleasure here and there, but mostly just traveling around the world going to customer events, first party events. We just had Get up Universe, what was that a month and a half ago? Get up Constellation in South Africa, Get Up Constellation in India. Yeah, it's been busy. And then we just had a night was that last week in Chicago? Som hm, it's been a busy bee.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I got a little story for you. So I'm working with a customer and we started out with a big GitHub repo and everything's working great, and then they say, yeah, we're gonna move over to Azure dev ops and I'm like why. They say, well, a lot of our other products are over there in the customers and you know, and this and that they want them us to move. So we're trying to move and it was painful, like, oh, I didn't know I could add a new file to my project and that, you know, the source control just wouldn't pick it up what I added it to the too, and I sinked and everything. No, it's just not there. And when we had to configure it, like by default, you have to configure it so that you can do that. So now we're moving all the way back to get hub. Screw that. Yeah, I don't know why you would have left. I wasn't my decision.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, sometimes we have to learn by our mistakes, Carl, we all grow up, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well just to say it wasn't my decision. And I'm the one that pushed them towards GitHub in the first place, because that's that's my home base.
Speaker 2: Sure, welcome cloth Work.
Speaker 3: Welcome back, Thank you. We love having you on GitHub.
Speaker 1: It's all about the act. Oh, I have plenty of reposts on GitHub. It's just through this one customer.
Speaker 3: Yes you do.
Speaker 1: But what's new in GitHub in twenty twenty five?
Speaker 3: What is new? Well, it's been the year of AI. You haven't heard. AI is everywhere, absolutely everywhere. So at Universe we made quite a few announcements. Do you want me to run through them?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Please?
Speaker 1: Sure? Sure?
Speaker 3: So I think I think actually probably the good headline of AI. There's a couple things I think are good headlines. One is AI is really end to end with you on GitHub. Now, we're really building it into the start of an issue, even in discussions, into your pull requests, before your poll request, even in your IDEs, and then all the way through to remediation. So we're really seeing a full DevOps life cycle with AI end to end, not just with copilot workspace, but copilot chat and having get up copilt with you wherever you go. That's been pretty cool. The big thing that people have also shouted about is having the option of different models. So we've done a lot with multi multi modality, multi models. However we call it these days, there's a big fancy term.
Speaker 2: Because your original was open AI, right, The.
Speaker 3: Original was open ai and we still have that in place, but we've moved away from that to different models. So we announced about four or five other models, plus the actual GitHub model site as well. So you can choose your model, you can play with it, you can have a look and go right, what works, what doesn't work, how does it respond? And people really want the choice, so you can go shopping for models now when you're writing your code.
Speaker 2: Right, I'm just surprised that they care. Does it really make that much of a difference.
Speaker 3: It does, And you know, it's actually funny you say that. I wrote an article for the dot net blog at Microsoft several months ago when get hub models got released and they're like, yeah, we want to showcase the get hub models features and functionality and dot net I said, okay, great, it wasn't there so you could do it in c sharp, Python or JavaScript, and they did release capability in c sharp and yeah, it made a huge difference. And actually, if you go into getub copilot now and say what is the best model to use for C sharp or you know, even testing or whatever, it will give you three or four different options. And I've gone into the GitHub models playground and started playing with the different models and seeing what the outputs are like. It's a ton of fun. But yeah, it will definitely differ on type of language you're using. If you whether use an infrastructure's code, you know, anything C Sharp related or Go Lang, Python, et cetera, the models are all different. Do you want to use different models for visuals? Visualization? Absolutely?
Speaker 1: One of my favorite features of large language models. It's is its ability to remember what we've talked about right, well done the context? And I'm wondering if you're if you have to switch models for different parts of your application, do they share the context or does each of them have their own context?
Speaker 3: You know, I haven't because we've just released it and a lot of it's in preview. I haven't died deep enough to really answer that. So what I've done with the models is taken the same task and compared like for like's, if I ask it to write x unit tests in my C shark code, one model is going to differ from another one. Whereas if I say, write write some ex unit tests, or if I give another model the task of make my C shark code more secure, it's going to give you complete different answers. So I like doing like for like comparison, same thing. When we compare the usability of AI to a human. If it takes me five hours to write a unit test, hypothetically, how long does it take with copilot five minutes or less?
Speaker 2: You guys are the ones that coin the term copilot. Clearly are using it differently. Now, like why are there multian I get multiple models because they're between Well, why are there multiple copilots? Like you already talked about copilot workspace, copilot chat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so when So let's back this up. So there's Getthub copilot, which is the original copilot, and then we started increasing features and functionality in it. So with that we started, well we being Getthub not me, I have nothing to do with branding, started differentiating the types of use cases for copilots, so copilot chat because you can chat with it, you can have conversation with it in your editor, in your ID. Then we started looking at copilot workspace, which is an end to end driven thing. I have no idea how they name these things, but we've basically tacked on another differentiator and copilot in its different use cases. And then Microsoft took Copilot and put it on everything and rebranded three sixty five recently to copilot again.
Speaker 2: Well, sometimes it's three sixty five copilots. Sometimes this copilot for three sixty five.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's let's take this back to the naming convention at Microsoft and the marketing folks like you had Team Foundation Server you had as your DevOps. Like the naming conventions and the branding. I not to comment on. It is tough. It's hard. There's a lot of products.
Speaker 1: I get it. I imagine they like hire a new executive when they come in the first thing and say, okay, we're going to change the names of these things. Who's with me?
Speaker 3: He's like, let's change the icons and the names. Let's confuse everyone because I like the pictures. I like knowing what does the picture look like, what's the icon that I'm looking for that day? And then when they change it, I'm lost.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, I'm very lost. You can change the nail you want, but if you change the icon, we're doomed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, exactly.
Speaker 2: Name. We're not going to worry about. It's going to be fine.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So I mean that's three different quote unquote co pilots, Right, but I guess they just arrive at different places for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they have different features and functionality. So the copilot chat is the chat in your ID. So whether you're in VS code or this is your rubber duck, this is your rubber duck one thousand percent, and they're all your rubber ducks actually, but this is chat, This is conversational, giving it the context and then you know, this is what I probably used ninety nine point nine percent of my time doing.
Speaker 2: Is is chat.
Speaker 3: So I opened up my ID, I asked them about my code base, how to fix my code, Let's fix the legacy code. Convert code from c sharp to JavaScript. If you're feeling feisty that day, you know, you could do whatever you want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would have gotten to Ruby on rails, but whatever, you know, Okay, you know, to each their own.
Speaker 1: Are you.
Speaker 2: Would have you done with my friend Richard Campbell. I just remember that guy sitting in the corner. Whenever we were battling on a problem like this, you know, we rails. It would have been fine. It's like, yeah, we would have gone away for six months and then what that was? Ruby Buddha, wasn't it problem?
Speaker 1: Yeah? He was like, ah, I have the answer Ruby on rails every problem, every problem is solved.
Speaker 3: Yes, It's kind of like how Kupernetti solves everything, the Ruby on rails for code and Kupernettes for everything else.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know the best way to know it's not a solve problem is just to look at how many products have the word Kubernetes in them. A solve problem, there'd be one, there's not. There's dozens, so okay.
Speaker 3: More than that now.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But I feel the same way about the copilots, like we're still feeling around for the perfect interface. Like I appreciate your view on chat. That's just this idea of this is where I come in to a project I haven't touched in three months, and I start with chat saying, okay, what the hell was I thinking? Just that it can start presenting some information about this code base.
Speaker 3: And it's there to chats, there to conversation lies. I think with the new models as too, it's skewed the lines quite a bit. So copilot chat was very much iteration and context, and then with the new models you can give it full sentences and paragraphs and you can go from you know, the slash explain command, the slash test, command, slash help to how do I execute this class? And oh yeah, and explain it to me in Dutch and it will. It's pretty fantastic I have. That's been my new party trick is every country I've visited I've used, I've spoken to co pilot in whatever native language I'm mean. So that's been exciting because you never know how it's going to respond, and it's actually been it's been really good. It's been spot on.
Speaker 1: You speak Dutch a.
Speaker 3: Little bit, but I'm better in German. And please, let's not test. That's the end of my day to day. My brain cells stopped working.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not nice.
Speaker 3: That's that's not nice. I think Richard's seen me or heard me speak Dutch before in our life potentially.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what we've been out and about what's Dutch for? Beer?
Speaker 3: Beera via Germans, beer, Dutches, beak. The hard languages to learn at the same time because they sound similar but are pronounce.
Speaker 1: It's usually where you start though, right, because beer, beer, donka whiskey. Yeah, all right, now that I've completely derailed the conversation, let's get back to give up nice.
Speaker 2: Now it's co pilot chat, really for studio code or studio or does that matter?
Speaker 3: So all the new features are coming out Visual Studio Code. Why it is the flagship product at Microsoft and the vs CO team is hot on this, and it's also the most widely used ID. Now for all the dot net community, They're going to say, well, what about us in Visual Studio there is development in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna grab onto that hole. Did you just call Visual Studio Code the code editor and ID?
Speaker 1: Is that what she said?
Speaker 3: I don't know what she said, probably maybe yeah.
Speaker 1: And also the flagship ID. So I thought flagship didn't mean most popular but original or large, largest or whatever.
Speaker 3: Can we totally erase all that?
Speaker 1: And started, No, no, no, that's all right. You know, you know what we could define flagship is the biggest on disc. You know that it is Visual Studio.
Speaker 3: It's it's definitely our leader in ID technologies out in the world, and the vs COD team is hot on it. They're very good at developing the extension. So the Visual Studio team develops a lot of the extensions for Visual Studio and then for Intelligay and all of those products. Those guys, those folks are responsible for the engineering behind that so we give them access to the APIs to do what they need to do, but it's on them to develop. But yeah, vscode is one of the most popular IDs, and it's open source, so there's lots of great things to say about it. But yes, you get every dot net developer that's like, well, what about visual Studio, and I'm like, it's there. I'll be honest, I haven't done the demo in visual Studio in a while. It's been a long time. It's a heavyweight application on my machine, and most of the time I'm using a get Hub code space, which is vs code in the cloud, in the secure environment.
Speaker 2: So selfishly, yeah, yeah, no, I don't know how many new users coming to visual Studio, but I know there's a lot of existing users in the visual Studio space. And it's this is a recognition that it's as much a project management tool as it is also a coding environment, and and so you know, you don't move away from it easily, certainly, but I do seem to live in both certain projects I function in studio and other projects I function in code.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. I think anyone that's working in visual Studio is crossing oader vs Code a lot, but it's you know, it's it's VS code is an enabler for anyone that is still learning to code. You have to think of it as you know, you have university students, they're all most of the university kids are learning Python. The kids they're adults, but most kids in school, eight nine, ten year olds are learning Python. People learning Python for research and data in school. So VS code is a great enabler as an ID. And I still have customers that don't use anything other than Notepad plus plus and I only want to start that argument.
Speaker 2: But too many features in Visual Studio code apparently, well.
Speaker 3: It's not enterprise level apparently, is what they've said.
Speaker 2: And no Pad plus plus is.
Speaker 3: Yes, that was a great That was a great argument we had with their security team. When you know, you want to talk about developer productivity, don't let them use NOE pad plus plus. They just didn't want to take the time to procure and go through that process of vetting the product. And a free product, yes, and if it yeah, that's yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, I don't think money was the issue there. No, it was not money.
Speaker 2: The learning curve, yes, such as that actually is. But in reality, of course, is that chat shows up in either place. There's plugins for both. Like wherever you work, these tools are going to come to you yes and again conversations about code, which is really interesting because half the time we're still formulating what the heck we're thinking about our code, and just to rubber duck, it helps.
Speaker 3: It is and the single paint of glass experience that you get in Visual Studio code is hands down my favorite experience. And when I say single paint of glass experience, when you start using the other GitHub extensions like poor requests and actions, you can see all of your automation. With a poor request, you can use the code review feature that we've just released at Universe, so it's part of copilot. Before you even stage your changes in your ID, you can use code review with copilot. So is that is one hundred percent of rubberduct scenario, or your junior developer want to understand how to write better code, or you're like me, I live and work somewhere separate from the rest of my team, so I'm working my morning time nine am ten am. I can check my own poor request with co Pilot, and then you can also check it on stage changes, and then you can do a code review once you've submitted your poor request. So there's kind of three different places. Well, i'd say too, before the poor request and then after the poor request, and that helps improve code quality massively.
Speaker 1: Great.
Speaker 2: Now, I mean it's still traditional code reviews too, but this sounds like the code review I do before sitting with a senior to go through a review, just get yourself into shape.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think it's also a great way to just check yourself because so often and we're rushed, we are frustrated, or it's again it's a context switch. You get pulled out of your ID into a meeting, or somebody taps on your shoulder, or the dog needs to go out, or you have screaming kids at home, or whatever the scenario is. You get stopped from whatever it is you're doing. You lose your flow, and then you know, you scape your code and honestly code that you're talking about. Any kind of repoll you pulled up three months ago, Why did I write something the way I did three months ago? Yeah, no idea, no clue, not sure what my brain cells were thinking at that time. So the ability to review what I did before I submitted is great. Also helps me from making just stupid, silly mistakes. The humans are the problems, right, Yeah, we like to put passwords in places that shouldn't be there, and we like to push buttons and misspell things and do.
Speaker 2: Silly things, and so the review might catch a few more of those.
Speaker 3: It has caught all of mine today.
Speaker 1: Well, the name co pilot really applies to that, because that is like having someone looking over your shoulder and yeah, you know, before you commit this, you might want to look at these little issues here. Yeah. I like that.
Speaker 2: Now, that's separate from the tool that helps write the pr right, that actually summarizes the poll requests and stuff like.
Speaker 1: That's.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's still part of the copilot licensing, but it's a separate, different step in in the development process.
Speaker 2: Right, But I just appreciate it writes far better polar request statements than I do.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely well. It actually lists out the files for you. Yeah, it lists out the files, references them, and summarizes them. And you know, often I'll put up a pull request out of sheer frustration, be like, please, God work, you know, it's it's pretty ugly. My commits are really ugly sometimes. But you're rush, You're frustrated. It's your like eightieth attempt at getting this thing to work.
Speaker 1: I got to admit I've put in commits with the comment was fixed a few things that didn't work before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh great, and then I finally find in this four of those in a row, follows by half af ass right like yes, yes, yeah, help help by doom right, tried this again. I think the big one is you're often you're flailing around with a problem and you're just hack. You know, your your fence posting, your hacking it cod in different places. And one of the things I like about that summarizer is it shows me all those like why is there a file change in that file? Oh right, yeah, when I was flailing at that thing, maybe that change shouldn't.
Speaker 3: Stay revert revert revert. And you know, it's also things like we talked about DevOps right, and you know what's the phrase, gosh, I wish my brain sales would work tonight. Short lived feature branches right, commit early and often. Yeah, and that's a good way to make sure you're committing the right size pull request for your features.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't stay over in that branch too long. Short lived branch like, don't also, just.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm working with another developer on this project, and he's working in a totally different space than I'm working on and you know, we don't branch. We just you know, haven't needed to, haven't needed to, and if you don't need to, don't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I disagree with you, Carl, because what if you screw something up, You're screwing up your your single source of truth.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, well I just roll back for that. You are, if I screw something up.
Speaker 3: Then it won't build your buddy.
Speaker 1: But right, but I'm working on my code, he's working on his, and we don't overlap. So if I screw up my code and if I break the build, I'm a jerk.
Speaker 3: But but what if you bring in a third person?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the real problem is when you roll back, and so you got to push back his work. Yeah, yes, but then he can haven't had to do that.
Speaker 1: But you know what, though, it's a very probably a rare, more rare scenario the way I'm working with this particular you're hit the magic number two. Yeah. Any more than that we would have to be branching and merging probably, definitely.
Speaker 2: It's all a question of chance of collision.
Speaker 1: We also you know, text each other, right, So if he's going to make a change, he says, hey, I'm I'm going to make a change. Just have him out for an hour. Okay, no problem. So so we avoid we avoid merged conflicts like.
Speaker 2: The plague nice.
Speaker 3: You know, there's a great gitub feature for that, merge Cues's say, I'm sure how to avoid a merge bomb? Use a mergeque.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, an SMS is working just fine for the two of us. Just one kind of mergequeue.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, have you ever been on a merge train?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I took one to New Jersey once from and.
Speaker 3: So this is this is before my GitHub days. And actually in getthub you can use the mergeque feature and a lot of our customers absolutely love it because they're like, you get merge bombs all the time, how do we prevent it? Yeah, look at merge cues. I'm like, oh, this is great. I was actually working in Azure dev ops on a customer project and we were on a mission as a team to close as many prs as possible, and we had some merge bomb issues. So we put an a merged train in Azure DevOps and it was probably the most fun slash hysterical slash frustrating moment of poll requests going through at once. But yeah, merge bombs are no fun.
Speaker 1: So tell me about merged cues.
Speaker 3: Well, I think I just summed to that you can set it up so that being said, with policy and so.
Speaker 1: Basically multiple merges can happen in the right order.
Speaker 3: Correct, you can or you can prioritize them. Pretty fancy stuff, isn't.
Speaker 2: There also ability to sort of detect this might be a collision here, so let's pull it off onto a branch like So just a way to like branching policies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's another feature for carl.
Speaker 1: You know, when I get into my next project that has more than two developers, I would be definitely using this stuff.
Speaker 3: Well you know, it's so I'm gonna something that might rock the boat with people that are out there listening. And I'm going to say this to you, Carla's my friendly sage advice for my many years doing demos. When when we as business as tech professionals are doing a demo, we should always use best practice. Here's why, because someone in the audience will do exactly as we did and it'll be simple, and that's why we like teaper demo simple, and they will pick up that bad habit. And so often I've been with someone in the industry it's like, oh, this is just a demo, it doesn't matter. Like well, people are learning from us, it does matter. And I was working on a very simple it was literally a vanilla website. It was for Microsoft, and someone had put a YAMO file at the They exposed the yamo file externally and they're like, yeah, can you not put this in your blog? And I'm like, so I didn't. I had to like kindly call out best practices about calling out that team or that person. But it's those things that are super critical when we're doing demos. Always use best practices because someone to greed up on that, or someone will go, oh, wow, what's emerge cue or wow, what kind of policies can be put in place? Because a two person projects quickly becomes a three person ten person and using the and then you know even better, template all your reposts so you don't have to think about this. You can figure it, create a template so every repository has all the best practices built in, and then you can do better. And then you're showing people to do better and you're making a difference.
Speaker 2: In this world.
Speaker 3: I totally agree, one pull request at a time.
Speaker 1: Yes, where should break? Yeah, let's take a break. We'll be right back after these very important messages. And as a reminder, if you don't want to hear these messages, you can get an ad free feed by becoming a patron and Patreon dot dot and Rocks dot com. It's only five bucks a month. We'll be right back, and we're back. It's dotting at Rocks. I'm Carl Franklin, Averagar Cambell and that's April Yoho, and we're talking GitHub and went down a little rabbit hole about best practices and shame on you if you're not using him.
Speaker 2: Should we talk about GitHub Spark because that was another one of the announcements out of Universe this year. Right, this is cool.
Speaker 3: You should talk about Spark. Spark is awesome. I did a session yesterday for getub Winterfest and I was showing off the new stuff we announced at Universe, and I was like, oh, I'll build something with Spark. So Spark is very simply when you go to it now, it's in previews, you explain what you want to do, and again, giving the AI as much context as possible is ideal. So I actually built two apps without writing one bit of code. So the first app, I wanted to build a pac Man game, and I told it what colors I want to use, how many levels I wanted to have, and then it spat out something that kind of almost vaguely looked like a pac Man game. I could iterate it, and then it spat out a different version and it was much better. I built another app that just gave me a dashboard of my metrics on GitHub, so actions usage, copilot usage, and it was really simple. But I just told it what I wanted in a paragraph with some detail, and it's spat it out in a couple of minutes. So it's given people that are non developers the ability to write applications.
Speaker 2: Is HUE mean, none of the hood. It's writing code, right, So I mean, do you have access to that code if you want to learn you know.
Speaker 3: Funnily enough, I haven't played that far into it yet, but you could. It's it's pretty much on the surface at the moment. So the aim is you're not a developer or you're not very technical, you could be a teacher, or you could be in business somewhere and you need to do a thing and you want a dashboard. Spark will build it for you. Look get into repositories. It is really meant to be I'm not a coding type programmer and i need to do a thing, and it's pretty cool like that. That's good.
Speaker 2: So it's a no code solution exactly.
Speaker 3: It goes beyond power apps, beyond low code. It is no code. I haven't actually looked to see if you can see the source code. I think you can. I think you can modify it. I think. However, because I'm on preview access, I don't want to. I don't know it right the early days, I'm literally just playing with it and just learning how to give it the context and give it that example of what I want, and then I go to iterate it and yeah, it's just fun to spit out games and build stuff without writing any code, just to see what would happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, writing better prompts. And somehow it's sort of evolved with gethub models as well. I don't know that we've talked about gethub models at all.
Speaker 3: It is a little bit tied into gehub Models. We haven't gone too far into that publicly in terms of what we're doing that get hub Models, let's call it a different aspect at the moment. So it is using some model selection on the back end, so you do get to choose your different models, but it's still really really limited early doors. Whereas gethub Models gives you and I want to say, thirty models to play with and you can compare them. And that's a very very different scenario because you can ask it programming questions. You can ask it for almost any technical question, or you can give it some code and it will process it and you compare two different models next to each other. So, like I was talking about the dot net reference earlier, it didn't support dot net initially. It does now, and that is definitely a lot more of a technical solution because you can hook into the API and get access and have secure area to play with it, whereas Spark is very much like you're using plain English or plain language to tell the model what you want and it will build it for you.
Speaker 2: Okay to me. So get up Models female almost feels like AI studio, and that sends that this is a place to build generative apps. Spark leans on Models for some of that language part, but it's generating different code there. Models is interesting under its own. I think it's more mature than Spark. Spark is kind of brand new.
Speaker 3: Spark is absolutely brand new. Models has been out for several months, and it's more language based, so you can customize it to the language you work with. Where's Spark is? You know the two things.
Speaker 2: I'd pretty much under that.
Speaker 3: It's all under the hood. You know, I could probably pull up what I built yesterday and have a look at I haven't. I just wanted to show I've used plain English and built a thing. I didn't get into the details yet, and I haven't, to be honest, I haven't really had a chance to play with Spark enough.
Speaker 2: It's only been a month.
Speaker 3: It's only been a month, and you know, so only so many hours in the day, and so we need choice to play.
Speaker 2: With well, and it's one thing to make a pack band game. How does it do with forms over data?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Like just whipping out a quick It pulled.
Speaker 3: Some of the data for my repo out and gave me a little dashboard and I say a little dashboard. It was It was nice. It gave me some basic metrics and it was pretty cool, but I want to actually play with it and get more of a deep dive into it. I just need I think that's what Christmas is going to be for for me. I play your spark a lot.
Speaker 2: More GitHub sweaters and gethub models.
Speaker 1: You Yes, that's my sweater is awesome. Yeah. If you don't know what, thank you.
Speaker 3: It's the latest from you know, you know.
Speaker 1: We're talking about. Go see April's bio on the dot net rocks website and there's a picture we're in the GitHub sweater.
Speaker 2: Christmas sweater. All right, we have AI just nod out of this conversation. Are there other aspects that have been evolving at getthub? I mean, once upon a time it was about source control? Hotel still does that.
Speaker 3: Actually, there's there's two things that I'm excited about. I think the biggest thing, and I would say it's probably bigger than AI in a lot of ways, is we've just released data residency for the EU. That that's a huge one. We have more regions that are going to be coming down the pipeline at some point, but the EU has been the most highly requested region to get data residency one EU law. Second, here in the UK we have Brexit issues, so I like to call them. So data residency is a hot topic for US, which has prevented a lot of people from consuming gethub just because we're what EU contracts are really specific around data residency, so it's it's very much a data protected environment and it brings in the authentication and EMU process for end user access into that, so it's it's given people what they've wanted. So that's a pretty big step for US.
Speaker 2: And with more regions coming. And when you say EU, is that mean, I'm guessing it's like the Asia Azure data center in Ireland just as a guess.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it'll be Europe, so it will cover off. I don't know how they've actually well I kind of know how they've carved up the data. But the Amsterdam region, which is Europe West, is the primary data center region in Azure, and then North Europe is Dublin. It's a secondary one technically, right, but those are the two major ones. And then there are other countries that have data centers in Azure, but the primary Europe regions are Europe West in Europe.
Speaker 2: So far, yeah, I know, I know that Microsoft went to the trouble abuilding the Germany a specific one for them, France.
Speaker 3: And Switzerland even though, but Switzerland's literally Switzerland on their own. The UK has their own, but yeah, it's a lot of the countries are getting their own data centers just because of residency.
Speaker 2: Anything to you know, keep the customers happy, you need.
Speaker 3: To do absolutely absolutely. I know that in the UK they've invested millions and millions of pounds to skill up the tech industry here in the UK, and they're doing something similar in the other countries where they put in data centers. There's also a major AI skilling initiative. So the EU data residency thing is a hot topic for us and for us to release that, that's great. That will just keep evolving over time. And the other thing I've really enjoyed that we released our actions performance metrics. So as a DevOps person, we like observability, we like knowing how to improve things for the next cycle. So it's great, we build a thing, but how is it impacting? Is it being utilized? Are we you know? Are we you know Carl likes to break his build with his buddy over there, But how much compute is I mean, yeah, we all break builds.
Speaker 1: There we go.
Speaker 3: I'm just picking on Carl today. It's been a while, so I thought i'd pick on him. But seriously, like, if Karl's working on this project with his friend, how much consumption using in GitHub actions are they?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: And often when we are using CICD to deploy things, we have very inefficient pipelines, Our tests are running too long, or stuff is just you know, if his buddy has to wait an hour for the pipeline to run, why can we get that down to twenty minutes fifteen minutes? So the action's performance measures.
Speaker 2: Yeah, analyzing that stuff is a nuisance, right, It's not like it is doable, but it is kind of go to a log, show what step it was on and how long it's spent. It like you've got to do a lot of mining to find that where were we spending our time?
Speaker 3: Well you did, and actually the new performance metrics makes it easier. So it gives you a dashboard, gives you some high level metrics, and then you can sift through the data and go, right, well, this one's taking an hour to run. What's our runtime over? You know an hour? Carl and his and his buddy can go look at that data and then drill into it, so it's a lot more apparent from the surface from the ten thousand foot view.
Speaker 2: Well, I noticed you blame testing right off the bat, so that's fair.
Speaker 3: Testing does take a while sometimes you know it's worth it.
Speaker 2: But I'm with you, and definitely it was one of the things I put a lot of energy into, you know, splitting a set of web tests across multiple instances so they ran simultaneously to shorten that cycle down. But it's not and that's not trivial to do, but you know, you only do it when we were at a point where it's like it was a weekend and we wanted to get it down to fifteen minutes, and we got it down to the idea was you had enough time to go and get a coffee and by the time you got back all of yours right, yeah, well so that your head was still in the game, right, like you hadn't started on something else. That's you got the feedback or delay.
Speaker 1: The rest of the big theme in our discussions is you know, if you if the time between you know, builds or or whatever it is, c ICD publishing is too long you you're thinking about something else and you've moved on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know the classic one literally was this is strangely but it was a weekend. It's like you did the push on Friday. On Monday, I got the report and you could get it to anybody because you had no clue. Like at that point it didn't matter. Anybody had to pick it up again. But yeah, getting it down to fifteen minutes with that sort of magic number, but it meant harnessing a lot of hardware. You know, the productivity went through the roof because people didn't get off the thread. You very quar The remediations were really fast when it was that short. It paid for itself pretty fast.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And I think as we see customers consuming a lot of actions and if you automate the life out of your repository, and not just with CICD, but you know, when you open up an issue kicks off a bunch of actions, et cetera, and tasks and automation, you have to be efficient with how you utilize them. Otherwise you're not saving any time. And yeah, you do, you do increase your billy. So with any process, observability and reporting is crucial, but it's such a pain in the butt. However, the new performance metrics feature is really cool. So I'm biased because I love actions, but it's cool feature. So yeah, that's those are those are the most notable things. There's been other things around enterprise capability as well. Huge push on enterprise, so not just source control anymore.
Speaker 2: Because you don't think of gethub as enterprise product, right, It's always been that scrappy upstart that's sort of a happy place for open source to live. But let's face it, nights because a few enterprises that use GitHub these days. One of them Nay, Microsoft, Yes, they.
Speaker 3: Well they don't all eat well, they're not entirely on guble. They still use Azure develops a bit, but we won't.
Speaker 1: Oh sure, yeah, but is gethub running an Azure?
Speaker 3: Is Gethub running an Azure? Well we have runners in Azure, code spaces sits in Azure. But no, we have stuff in different places. I'm pretty sure we have that documented somewhere. So I entirely an Azure.
Speaker 2: Sure it's more complicated than that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's above my pay grade.
Speaker 2: What is the explanation for enterprise cloud?
Speaker 3: What is that? What do you mean the explanation like why we have it?
Speaker 1: Explain yourselves? What is it?
Speaker 2: I think I'm thinking a lot of folks that listen to the show have been using gihub in a very traditional way, the way that it has always been, and maybe haven't been and maybe it's throughout their organization now, but again it's kind of piecemeal. Does Enterprise Cloud kind of organize things for them? Does it lift that up? Give us a little more governance?
Speaker 3: It gives us a lot of governance. There is quite a bit of governments built into the platform. I think the one thing you have to think about when using GitHub, if you've been using azur DevOps or get lab, you can't always think of where you've come from. So often I'll work with people like, yeah, we came from get lab and I can't find how to do X. So often it's there, just in a very different place, in a different way. And that was a big change I had to make when I was working purely with az your DevOps was how to do things a little differently. But yeah, we have a huge push on governance and we want our customers to scale, whether they're startups or large enterprises, and there's a huge amount of time and effort. And that's where the EU Data residency came in because our enterprise customers are screaming for it. You know, I don't have the existing stat but at one point they're over seventy thousand enterprise customers using GitHub. That was probably a year, year and a half ago, so it's probably more now eighty ninety thousand or one hundred thousand or some insane number. But you know, enterprises also help drive features, We'll be honest, that help open source projects and help community projects, right because you know, enterprises can help, you know, put in the requests and they utilize it, and sometimes there are biggest users of the new features as well to give feedback.
Speaker 2: Yeah, help push you guys forward too. And you know, we've had an ongoing conversation here about enterprises playing well in the open source community. I still feel like it's too hard for an enterprise to even know what open source libraries they're dependent on and how dependent they are on them. I spent enough time with CFOs and I've always resisted being one to know they would write a check a year for this stuff, just spend it.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: What they don't want to do is have one hundred requests or a thousand requests to support different projects that they're not interested in that And I've never seen a dashboard at an enterprise level that said, given we allocated ten thousand dollars for this, what projects should we spend?
Speaker 1: S Bomb dependency graphs?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean it's I still feel like the ass bomb.
Speaker 1: You need a graph. You need to see the better right as bombs cloud or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well on graph just from a security perspective of, Hey, this project's got to meet you know this owens. Our project's got a major exploit in it? How many of our apps used that?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: That's not It's still not an easy question to answer.
Speaker 1: But it's screaming for an AI solution, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: You know, funnily enough, we have a solution for that that courtse we do, right, But no, we do have dependent on in one of our security features of GitHub Advanced Security, and it does scan all the dependencies in your repository and gives you report opens a poor request and gives you a suggestive fix and gives you the information because managing those things is terrible. I have worked with a lot of customers that use the s bomb feature to export and know what they're consuming, how they're consuming it, and they've made it part of their development cycle to remediate now and it's easier and less time consuming to remediate those dependencies.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: And there are some great customers consuming I mean most customers are consuming open source. I have not spoken to one enterprise customer that does not consume any form of open source.
Speaker 2: If you're not consuming open source, you're lying to yourself like it's there, you're just not paying attention to it. But I'm getting putting the enterprise architect hat on where Okay, we have a dependency on this library. We don't know exactly how many projects use it, Like we're going to figure out a way to fix this and then want to propagate it across all of them, like I need that macroscopic view. I've hung out with enough of these folks to know they've got a thousand apps and they're like, okay, give me the landscape. How many of these have this dependency and how are they different? Can we roll them across all of them quickly? We don't have to light each team up. You know half those apps have no team anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very true, very true.
Speaker 2: You know, how do we rehabilitate all that. So I'm hoping that that there is that higher level view like I get. I look at dependent on a project by project basis, and it does a good job from.
Speaker 3: The from the enterprise management side, there's a huge there's a way to export the s BAWM mount from the organization side. So if you haven't managed at your organizational level, you can pull that s BAM out and get that reporting out if you want. And actually another good way to do it at the organizational level is export out to a dashboard which you can get within githup. But I have a lot of people doing it through power BI. So if you have good data skills there you.
Speaker 2: Go all right, so you just export it out do your own analysis.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, if you want to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it's a solution.
Speaker 3: And then but we do have we do have some dashboards, we do have some dashbouds.
Speaker 2: But then it's and then it's to put you. Of course, you'd know if you had a high dependency in this, because every project would line up with depend about it once exactly.
Speaker 3: It's like a Christmas street. It's literally red, yellow, green.
Speaker 2: Yeah, big explosion of red all over the place.
Speaker 3: Exactly exactly, well, at least it's Christmas.
Speaker 2: Themed, although often with those it has a remediation already, it does.
Speaker 3: They have a remediation. They give you the.
Speaker 2: Poorest, accept the pr and let the builds run and hope nothing breaks. But I, you know, again and at a senior level, when this came down, I would want to lock everything, try one, like, there's other way. This remediation fails. We just broke a hundred apps, right, I would rather be vulnerable with ninety nine of them while we're trying to fix one and when we got to fix and fix the rest.
Speaker 3: Yes, what you can do, you can granuarize that.
Speaker 1: There's another problem that is maybe a little harder to detect, and that is if you're using a tool or something that works and it compiles, but then there's an exploit posted and a CVE against it, you know, and you might not know that just just looking at it, but that means that needs to be updated. So you know, getting current versions of things is a constant whack a mole, right, yeah it is. And so does the depend about sort of look at those, does it look for cvees against.
Speaker 3: Yes, so it pulls out the latest CVE updates, and then there's one that if there's an exploit that you know, we work with security experts across the globe, you they can also report them in to us. But there the updates are pretty good, pretty well up to date, I've not seen very many missed to be honest with you, it's been a really solid product. It's been. It picks up a lot of stuff that I didn't even know existed, even in like one of my top debo repositories, really simple code. It must have twelve thirteen depends.
Speaker 1: On word press plug chance. This week, word press plug ins seem to I'll find out be attacked the most from just bad developers.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, word press is the Internet explorer of this age, right Like it's the most hacked thing because it's used in so many places.
Speaker 1: It's the plugins that are the problem. That word Press itself is and it's pretty pretty good, but pretty robotic. But people write these plugins for stupid stuff and then they just don't understand security and they leave holes.
Speaker 2: Well, they think they're living in a happy little community, and then that happy little community gets invaded by black hats and it's not so happy. Anymore. I still still want to get back to this contribution side of things. I think these tools would be awesome, like if I could keep track of the pull requests that my team had made into those open source librarries. So it's you know, part of our overall corporate giving structure is, hey, we're we allocate a day a month for you to contribute to these open source projects on our dime. Right, we'll pay you keep working, but you know, automating all that capability to go. One of the ways we contributed is we all we have resources onto those projects too, as well as hopefully some cash for the other for the those maintainers that then often don't get a lot of love.
Speaker 3: There's money involved in this hold on.
Speaker 1: I'm going to check.
Speaker 2: Not that much money. Goodness knows, no, I think you know.
Speaker 3: It's it's something that I don't I'll be honest. I work with enterprise licensing so much. I'm pretty sure we open up de pendabot for open source projects right and under the advanced security piece for public repositories. I'm ninety nine point nine percent sure of that. However, someone can correct me if I'm wrong. But we we wanted to help the open source community a lot with that and that credibility. But I think it's the private repositories where it's a paid for option. I don't touch money. That's really like the summer, you're better off.
Speaker 2: It's a whole other conversation to have. And when we can't have today, Oh shucks.
Speaker 1: So what's next for you? What's in your inbox?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're keeping you sleeping upon us.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, no. I actually it's content development right now. I'm I'm home for a little bit. It's getting content out. We have a lot of people and you know, we've talked about it today. All the co pilot features, all the enterprise features, people just are not aware of and to us, you know, when you're doing it day and day out, it seems like we're quite transparent with these features. But the reality is we don't have enough repeating content. So you guys were talking about all the social platforms earlier. So it's a lot of litmus testing with Instagram, TikTok and blue sky Now and LinkedIn, And for me, it's going to be some content creation on how to use this stuff, and then I don't know, we'll see what happens in twenty twenty five. I'm just you know, I'm just enjoying being in one country for a few weeks.
Speaker 2: Weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, is there? Where do you go scuba diving in the UK?
Speaker 3: Well, it depends either I go up to Scotland or I go down to the south coast or the northeast.
Speaker 2: Right now, still, that's still all dry suit, right. That water's cold.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's I don't I don't dive in anything but a drysuit. It's cold. I think water temperature a few weeks ago in the UK was like seven degrees in one of the quarries I was in.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Ouch, Yeah, it's it's it's spring fed, so it's always cold at the bottom.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I'm living by the ocean here. This is the ocean I grew up near, and it's ten degrees pretty much all year round. You have a few minutes before you start to lose coordination.
Speaker 1: Coldest water I ever felt was the Saint Lawrence River and it was summertime.
Speaker 2: That's cold.
Speaker 1: And I waded out into the Saint Lawrence. After about ten seconds my bones froze. Yeah, it's basically what I thought was happening. Yeah, all right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been in four degree water, which is thirty thirty nine forty degrees fahrenheit, and that is yeah, soul crushing, soul crushing.
Speaker 1: All right, April, I'm sure there's a lot more we could talk about, but will you come back when you have more to say?
Speaker 3: I will absolutely come back for you.
Speaker 1: Guys. Well, thank you again, thank you, thank you for listening, and we'll see you next time on dot net rocks.
Speaker 4: Dot net Rocks is brought to you by Franklin's Net and produced by Pop Studios, a full service audio, video and post production facility located physically in New London, Connecticut, and of course in the cloud online at pwop dot com. Visit our website at d O T N E t R O c k S dot com for RSS feeds, downloads, mobile apps, comments, and access to the full archives going back to show number one, recorded in September two thousand and two, and make sure you check out our sponsors.
Speaker 1: They keep us in business. Now, go write some code. See you next time.
Speaker 4: Tree Middle Vans Day, summer time that means home.
Speaker 1: Then my Texas in line read