Speaker 1: This is Pod Popular Podcast for the People, The Great Love Debate. It's the Great Love Debate, the Great Love Debate.
Speaker 2: It's a Great Love Debate.
Speaker 3: Hi again everyone, It's Brian Howie. Welcome to The Great Love Debate, the world's number one dating and relationship podcast since twenty fifteen. I am here in the very fine studios of Pod Popular Podcast.
Speaker 1: For the People. I am at the one in Boca Raton, Florida. The weather is.
Speaker 3: Deep, jungle, humid, Jurassic Park disgusting, but you know, brighter days ahead, I suppose. Thank you for all the feedback, the people who gave me the the feedback on the show we did in London, which I really enjoyed doing. I know I'm gonna talk about that for a long time, how much I like London. But I'm back in Boca, which most of the year is very very nice now. As I always say, two things on this show. One is we are always trying to sell hope, and we've done a lot of podcasts.
Speaker 1: In the last year that were a little less than hopeful.
Speaker 3: We did some divorce stuff, we did some breakup stuff, we did some the world is hard stuff or whatever. So I wanted to do something that I think is a little more hopeful today. I'm bringing my guest in a second. My longtime producer of this show, the two time Emery Award winning Kiko, used to always say to me, everybody thinks they can do my job. And I was always like, yeah, people say that to me too.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: There was a point where when we were on the Great Love to Bay tour about the second year in we were trying to find different people to host the show and have this going on all over the place in the country at the same time, because it was really hard on me to get to every city and host it. And so we actually spent a summer sort of in Chicago auditioning people to do what I do, and we couldn't find them, and I wanted to find them, and my manager at the time said, Okay, it's no longer the Great Love Debate, It's now the Great Love Debate with Brian Howie. And I was like, good fuck, Now I have to do it the whole time. You know, you kind of have to really be curious about this stuff, and you really kind of have to want to have these conversations.
Speaker 1: So why I bring that up?
Speaker 3: Everybody can do my job, which she said, and she's a big time reality television producer. Is that my guest here is currently has a job that I think is one of the most challenging jobs that you could possibly have because the risk reward on it so much can go wrong, and if it goes right, it's almost like there's disaster or relief.
Speaker 1: There's a very view. And I say that a lot. When I used to do live theater, people used to be.
Speaker 3: Like, oh my god, are you so excited it's opening night. I'm like, no, it's disaster or relief. You sort of get through it anyway. She is the host of the Wedding Buzz podcast, which you should check out. She has a lot to think of things to say about sort of the philosophy about what we're trying to do on our wedding day and beyond, especially from the bride's point of view. She's a fairly recent bride herself. I believe Sidney Whitten, how are you.
Speaker 2: Hi, I'm good, Thank you for having me on.
Speaker 3: Everybody always thinks that, oh my god, I could plan weddings.
Speaker 1: No you couldn't.
Speaker 3: It's the most important day of or at least in the conversation for the most important day of at least one, maybe both of their lives. It's such a high wire act, filled with stress, filled with visions that are hard to pull off, filled with your trying to capture a feeling that is tough for her to even eloquently enunciate, you to plan it out. What made you even want to get into.
Speaker 1: A racket like this?
Speaker 2: You know? I kind of fell into it. I was at Einstein Bigel's freshman year of college, sitting with my friend who was engaged, and we were talking about her wedding and she was in that like, oh, we could do this, and I could do that, and like all this stuff, and I was asking questions, well, how is this going to happen? And how is this going to happen? And she looked at me and was like, you should be a wedding planner. And at eighteen, I didn't even know that that was a career people had, And so I looked into it and realized that at my college the hospitality program had an event management concentration. And I got a job with a wedding planner and switch my major and just kind of dove into it. So I kind of she was like, you should do this, and then I realized, well, maybe.
Speaker 3: I really should do And so your impression of what that was versus the reality of what it is, what is the what is the difference? If there's anything A lot of people think it's like, oh, I could pick flowers and collars and patterns, and it's.
Speaker 2: You know what's funny is that? Like I remember, like the first wedding, I was like, oh, like this is a production.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, you're a producer. Yeah, that's exactly what you are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And like now I'm a bit older, I have been married, a lot of my friends have been married. I've been a bride, and I've been on every weddings, so I understand it. But back then I it was I remember the first wedding, I was just like whoa, Like it's a production, but I also loved it. I didn't have a concrete thing of what I wanted to do when I grow up. I am a girly girl. I love glitz, glamor or whatever. I also at the time, like I played guitar and I sing, and so I was like, I want to be Taylor Swift, but that was not going to happen. So I saw these weddings as like, but I also love business, and so you're like, well.
Speaker 1: I could be the music at your wedding.
Speaker 2: Maybe not the music, but you know, it's a whole production. But I also fell in love with it. At the same time, I was like, whoa, I can you know, bring my business skills and like my organization and logistics into something that is girly and fun and pretty.
Speaker 1: You are every wedding I think you.
Speaker 3: From a wedding planner's perspective is you have to solve a puzzle. And this puzzle involves their personality. It involves a lot of moving parts in terms of friends and family and what you're doing.
Speaker 1: It has a lot of to do with venue and.
Speaker 3: Certainly cost making people's dreams happen when no matter how wealthy you are, there's budget limitations and you have to break the news to them like you.
Speaker 1: We probably can't, this is what that will cost.
Speaker 3: And then there's you don't want to disappoint them because you're trying to give them the feeling of the dream. That has to be something that's challenging to learn, no matter how long you've been doing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is, it is, and and you know, the budget is never a fun conversation, especially these days. We live in such a com at what's the word comparative that's not a word, but anyway, like everyone compares, is it word? A comparative culture where you're seeing these weddings on social media and everyone thinks like I can have that, And it's a harsh reality of what you think online looks like a forty thousand dollars wedding is truly over one hundred thousand dollars and beyond, like, yeah, what people might think is like an average wedding is so much more expensive than people think. And it is tough because you don't want to break the bank on a wedding. It's just one day. It's one big party. You don't want to go into debt and stuff over it. But on the flip side, it's your one wedding day. So finding that balance is.
Speaker 3: A little tricky and a lot of times not stereotype, but that's what we do here at the Great Love Debate. This is the most important day for the bride. A lot of time, this is the destination. The man are kind of like, okay, I want to start the marriage, but a lot of times she has dreamt of this day. Yes, since she was a young girl. Her wedding day is her day, and I respect that totally and to not have that day in the way you want it, That's what was one of the challenges with COVID for a couple of years, Like people are like, we're engaged, our wedding's canceled, do we have asset?
Speaker 1: Do we put people in masks? Do we not do it? Do we wait two years?
Speaker 3: Like that had to be really challenging and blow up a lot of dreams I think for people, right, Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Mean it is challenging and there's not a perfect like kind of like what you were saying with theater. I mean, like I said, I play guitar, so I've done like shows and it's it's kind of a make or break. It's either gonna happen great or not. And if it doesn't go well, it just didn't. That performance didn't go well.
Speaker 3: And your job is to try and think of one hundred possible things that could go wrong, yes, and if you're lucky, you get ninety percent of them right, and you get just get some luck. It's preparation and luck, hoping it makes it up and a lot of things can happen. I said on this podcast a few months ago about how my cousin was just hungover from the rehearsal dinner the night forty you just fainted on the altar like that, but just put a damper on things. And I remember the wedding planners there had to leap into action with some quick music and some entertainment, Like you have to be prepared for this happened. You have to be prepared for the flowers weren't exactly what she wanted.
Speaker 1: You have to be prepared for too many people, too few people cancel.
Speaker 3: All these kind of things can go wrong, and you're in the eye of the blame. They're entrusting you with their dream and their money, and you got.
Speaker 1: To hit that bull's eye.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like.
Speaker 1: I'm stressing you out talking about like I'm going to go back into some other job. Yeah I quit.
Speaker 2: No, you're right, you're right, And I think that it is just our job to think of all these things, and you know there is no perfect but there are things that you can do to prepare yourself well. For example, like the timeline. I overestimate everything. I like an hour and a half cocktail hour. You know, give people food, they're okay for an hour and a half. They don't realize as long as they have food and drinks, they won't realize that it's an hour and a half instead of an hour. But that gives you some wiggle room. It gives you some time, you know, like overestimate how long things are going to take. Of course, not too long, because you don't want the day to drag, but by giving yourself that little wiggle room when something pops up an uh oh, it's you know what, we have ten minutes in the schedule, so we're okay, We're okay, let's figure it out because we have this time. I always like packing, like the way that I suggest people pack pack things for every event kind of separately, so that you have your little like emergency kits right ready to go. So it's of course there's always gonna there might be an uh oh or something, but at least it's not like uh oh, and we have no no supplies, no backup. Planet's hey, we have this kit, let me go grab it. We're gonna be okay.
Speaker 3: What is the proper amount of time you bring up timelines from the time somebody meets with you, are most of them like we're getting married in nine months or is it two months?
Speaker 1: Or is it all over the boards that two years?
Speaker 3: What this is is that venue specific sometimes like we want to get married here, and it's like good luck.
Speaker 2: I think it's it's something that I I think it's funny that I can't put a number on it because it's so different. I think it depends on kind of the budget of the wedding. Smaller budgets a lot of the time are more quick, casual, let's just get it done and Okay, we can whip this together in three four months. Bigger budgets often are aligned with brides who want things to be a certain way, and that takes time, so it really vvery It's funny. I did a wedding exbo a couple weeks ago, and I ask every bride that comes, when is your wedding and when did you get engaged? What's your timeline here? And it just I get everything from like, my wedding is in October, can you help us out to my wedding is October of twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, a lot of people are waiting on the perfect venue there's a lot of really fantastic venues in this part of the world. But then you're dealing with weather at certain times of the year. You know you can go get you know, try and book the breakers up in Palm Beach or Addison here in book of Ratone or the Bulk or Retone Resort or something like that. You got to hit the right day and the right time and all that.
Speaker 1: The biggest uh. I don't think negotiation is the word, but maybe is the food?
Speaker 3: Is the DJ versus band?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 3: What is the thing that that is the biggest part of negotiation?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 1: What are we serving? Cocktail hour? Location?
Speaker 3: What is it?
Speaker 2: It's funny because it depends on are you talking to the bride? Are you talking to the groom?
Speaker 3: I think I'm talking to the bride. Maybe I'm talking to the father of the bride.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I can tell you father of the bride and groom usually care about food and bar, and the bride often cares about the pretty of what are the flowers?
Speaker 1: Flowers?
Speaker 2: What's this gonna look like?
Speaker 1: The aesthetic father is usually budget.
Speaker 2: I mean, we're being super stereotypical.
Speaker 1: That's what we do here. Well, I'm gonna be even more stereotypical.
Speaker 3: I can't tell you how many guys are upset about fall weddings because it falls on college football Saturdays.
Speaker 1: Which is a really big deal to a lot of people, especially in this part of the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. I mean ye that my husband is one of those guys that would be devastated if we had to go to a.
Speaker 1: Wedding and then they're watching on their phone or they're in the bar on the TV.
Speaker 3: It's like go Buck guys or whatever their team is and it and the bride is like, this is my day day.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The one thing that like I kind of suggest to people is like, if your spouse isn't super into the planning, don't make them be you know, include them in some things and like ask them like, hey, this means a lot to me, please participate. But like if they're just if it's just not their thing and they're saying you like you know, honey, like.
Speaker 3: You pick right then, And there's a fine line between showing support and showing indifference. Yes, and you have to be like, what, I support everything you want, run anything by me. I'll give you my ideas if you want them. But I want you to have the freedom to create the day that you want to day, and that's it. I think that's reasonable. A lot of guys aren't very good at having that conversation, no.
Speaker 2: And I agree. There are some guys that are probably not very nice about it. And then there are some brides that are probably like way overboard of wanting him to be as excited. And I think just because he's not as excited about the flowers doesn't mean that he's not excited to marry.
Speaker 3: You, right, Because like I said earlier, he's like, let's get to the honeymoon.
Speaker 2: My husband wanted to get married at bass Pro shops and so it's like, I love shops and he was serious. I mean, it's a great place under the bear. So the one in Island Marata in the Keys, yeah, actually has like a little beach front and they do weddings and it is pretty. It is pretty. No hate on bass Pro, but that was not my vision for the day, right. And the thing is, it's like I could have kept asking him like, what do you think, what do you think? He honestly, that's what he wanted, and he wanted to walk down the aisle to the James Bond theme song, and so like I I couldn't keep asking him what he wanted because that's what he wanted and it was not gonna happen. So but he also at the same time was like, it's okay, babe, just you you pick what you want.
Speaker 3: Right how Again another stereotype, generally speaking, does the father of the bride write the check?
Speaker 2: Often? Yes? Often? Yeah, often, yes, of course, there's so many other situations.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's tough when two young people are trying to pay for their own wedding. That is a hard thing too, because they want to give it and you don't want to just have a bullet chips.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you kind of want to.
Speaker 2: There's always people who unfortunately don't have a good relationship with their father, or some people if they're later in life, they might be more successful than their parents are, and so they end up paying for their own wedding. Yeah, that's true, like asking their parents.
Speaker 3: My dad, who had a fair amount of money, my sister who had a giant, ridiculous wedding. My dad drew the line at the champagne toast. He's like, I'm not paying for people to take one sip and put it down and that is like fifteen grand worth of champagne or whatever. He is no, and she freaked out. They had a huge fight about it. He's like, they can have the one, they could take a sip of whatever. Their beverage is not paying for it. And I thought, like drawn a line there. Yeah, it's four hunder people at his wedding. That's where he's like, I'm not paying for that.
Speaker 2: Maybe champagne. No that I mean, honestly, when we're talking budget, that is a common thing of like if you can go, if you're okay with not having the champagne toast, like just do a toast with whatever drink they had right, so much champagne gets dumped at the end of it.
Speaker 1: It does.
Speaker 3: I agree, all right, well, we have to pay for things like champagne toasts around here. So I'm here with Sydney Whitten. She's the host of the wedding Buzz. We're talking about happily ever after, I think, but I gotta take a quicker break and we will be back right after this.
Speaker 1: And we are back now.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna you know, you have been doing this that long. You have been doing this for thirty five years, but have you run into a situation where you're like, oh, these people probably shouldn't even be getting married, or they're just everything is a fight and you're like this doesn't bode well.
Speaker 2: Or now, of course you have those few they're just like hmm, like how is this gonna go. The one thing that I don't know if they were like weren't meant to be, but it kind of made me sad is we did this. This moment actually made me decide not to do a first look at my wedding. I like, in that moment was like I'm not I'm not doing a first look. We did the first look and he was, you know, happy to see her, and then as we're like walking back inside, he was like, all right, so we did this, like what do I do with the ceremony? And I was like what do you mean? He's like, I don't know, Like I was supposed to look excited when I saw her. Now I did, and then at the ceremony like what am I supposed to do? Then I'm like fake it? Yeah, cry again, like be happy, like I don't know, and so I don't. Hopefully they're still together and everything's great.
Speaker 1: But I just was like where do you what's the first.
Speaker 3: Which thing you you figure out venue, amount of guests, budget of obviously both, Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I I there. I suggest kind of two rounds of this of like estimated guest count. It's hard to off the you get engaged the next week to be like, okay, this is our finalized list. But seriously sit down and like count how many people? And all those people that you're like, eh, maybe not include them because it's easier to go down than up. Like if the venue. If you find a venue that fits one hundred people, and you're like, yeah, we have eighty people, perfect, well, then you keep adding and adding adding. Now you run into trouble. So figure out your guest list, figure out your budget a ballpark, a realistic ballpark budget. Have the tough conversations with family members who have said like, oh we're gonna give to you, like okay, how how much? Uncomfortable conversations, but like you have to have it. And then I suggest venue because venue links like the capacity at the venue is to to your guest count.
Speaker 1: Day, time of year, Yeah, is it available?
Speaker 2: Is it available? The budget? You have to know a budget to know if the venue is good or bad. And then the venue is linked to the date, So that's definitely where the building blocks where you got to start.
Speaker 1: Food comes where in the in the chain pretty early, pretty early.
Speaker 2: I like finding all your vendors pretty early. A lot of the food. A lot of venues include food. So if that's the case, then like it's kind of checked off. If they don't include the food, then I would pretty quickly find a caterer to at least lock in your date and you can always pick the menu later. That's a lot of these A lot of things with vendors is like you need a photographer, you need to get that date locked in.
Speaker 3: Some people have food truck weddings now they do, they do, and people think it's fun and it's creative and whatever. I mean, you can be I know some super healthy people who have weddings like park on the Beach and just the coolest just a fun band and it was just awesome. And I've had some people who's like, oh my god, how many mortgages on how many family members' houses did they take out to put this together? And it didn't necessarily make it more fun. More money doesn't necessarily make it more fun.
Speaker 2: I mean, what the guests like you kind of ask what the bride and the groom kind of debate over and the father of the bride. What the guests remember is food and entertainment one hundred percent, Like some of the women might care what it looked like and whatnot, but what are they truly going to remember is the food?
Speaker 1: And are you Are you on the side of band or DJA.
Speaker 2: It depends.
Speaker 1: That's a wishy washy answer.
Speaker 2: I know, I guess I like, I don't have.
Speaker 3: A I'm a fan of karaoke weddings. Oh yeah, I want drunk Uncle Joe to be singing Thriller.
Speaker 2: If I had to pick, probably DJ. I think a killer live band can be really cool and really fun, right, but if the band's not good, you can't be like, hey, can you change the song?
Speaker 1: I agree with that.
Speaker 3: Somebody told me once that the difference is why the DJ's better. Not only is the DJ then they're usually probably a good MC and all that kind of stuff that people know if they're going to dance, and a lot of people dance twice a year that they need to dance to the song and the way they know the beat is coming, and sometimes.
Speaker 1: The band is a hair off and it screws up to dance. Like I've heard that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm mixed because like I have been to weddings with an amazing band and it was like killer, you know. But I've been to weddings where the band just sucked and the bride was in tears the entire night, and it was like there was not much you could do, Like I didn't know how to tell the band to not be bad, and like I did try to, Like I was like, I needs your attention, and they kind of like put on filler music while I talk and I was like, the bride gave you a list of songs, like she says, you're not playing the right songs and they're like, oh yeah, yeah, we'll play it. And I'm like, okay, she mentioned this, she mentioned this, and then they started playing again and they started playing like other stuff, and it's I was like, I don't I can't be like, yeah, they're in the middle of the performance, right, is the.
Speaker 3: Uh song their song first dance the father Daughter? Is that a big part of it or is that like the last thing that goes in the equation generally for what for the for the when you're choosing the music or like the because I'm there's like, this is our song, honey, and the groom's like, I don't even know this song. And then when she dances with her dad, that's usually a song too. But then you get some of these people really choreographed their first.
Speaker 1: Dances and then they blow up.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's a lot of crazy shit that's people remember things that are different, but a lot of people are stuck with tradition and they grew up thinking about a wedding a certain way based on what they might have gone to when they were fourteen years old, and they want to have that old school you know, I've been depends.
Speaker 2: On the crowd, Like the younger crowd is definitely more open to like, oh this is new, this is trendy, she didn't do this traditional thing. And then you get an older crowd who goes and it's like, how come she's not doing this and how comes?
Speaker 3: And it also depends on the part of the country. If you are in the northeast. I have been to a lot of Italian weddings where they're passing around the bag of cash and there's like one hundred and fifty grand in there at the end of the night and they're like, nobody's going to touch.
Speaker 1: That bag with this crowd here, nobody.
Speaker 3: But they do that and everything is old school, the tossing of the bouquet, the dance, the sit down, all of it. And then sometimes different parts of the world do different things. Sometimes people want to have weddings of pass pro shops like the same thing, or they dress differently, or the you know, a lot of people want the dark talks and six guys in a line all like that, and some people are like, where whatever you want, there should be some imagination in all of this, and your job's to pull that out of them. Yeah, but people want to respect tradition of what they leave a wedding looks like in their head.
Speaker 2: So I was literally emailing a bride this morning and because she was asking, she wants to do evites and I was like, okay, and she's like, how does this typically work? I was like, okay, well typically they're not evites and you send us save the date and then this. But at the end of it, I'm like, but it's your wedding to do anything you want. That's I mean, the title of my book is your Day, Your Way. I to plan a perfect wedding without losing sight of what matters. So let's look at tradition and then let's look at what you want to do, and how can we kind of meet in the middle here. How can we find something that fits what you want without pissing off your family and your guests.
Speaker 3: The one job that I believe has gotten easier when it comes to the wedding thing is the photographer because you're too young to remember this. You know, fifteen years ago he's dropping off at roll of film where he's development.
Speaker 2: I'm not too young for this. Because it's become this new trendy thing to do film photography at wedding and I don't get it.
Speaker 1: Yoh why what's the upside of that?
Speaker 2: I think people just you know how like it's it was a trendy it's now trendy for like record players. Again, it's the same thing.
Speaker 1: They want developed film.
Speaker 2: They want developed film.
Speaker 1: That's stressful because you want to know you got the shot, and oh.
Speaker 2: My gosh, it drives me insane because it's like the some of these photographers, I'm going to piss off all these people, But that's okay. Some of these photographers that only do film photography. They literally have to bring an assistant, which the bride is paying for that assistant to be there and hold film ready to swap in the camera. And then I've been at weddings where the photographers like, hold this genuine moment, Hold wait, let me swap my film, and I'm like, yeah, we progressed in the.
Speaker 1: World we have. We have a camera. Everybody's got phones.
Speaker 2: And like, you can take a digital photo and add a filter to make it look that grainy filmy look. If that's what you want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think, yeah you can, and you can filter it and get g It's.
Speaker 2: Not my style, but if that's what you want, you can do it.
Speaker 3: Where do you stand on kids at the wedding in the wedding, because that's controversial.
Speaker 2: To My wedding was a no kid wedding.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is fair if you.
Speaker 2: Are super casual. It's like a backyard barbecue. Family feel like, okay, fine. My wedding was a formal wedding and I was like, no, no, way, no, because it was all it like a like a theater, like a performance. It happens once and I.
Speaker 1: Don't can't risk something. Sorry parents and kids.
Speaker 2: But yeah, the amount of money that we paid for the video and everything.
Speaker 1: Now, is there.
Speaker 3: One thing looking back on your own wedding that you're like, now that I know things, I wish I did this, or I would have done this differently.
Speaker 1: I wish my wedding was perfect.
Speaker 2: No, definitely not the favors I did, which I had this debate with my parents just the other day. I did these favors that were like little seedling trees, and I was so focused on trying to do something different that I did these seedling trees. And then at the end, I was like, this is stupid. Nobody wants a tree like some which my mom is like, yes they did, like her friend ed Sandy and ed shout out to the chehis but he has the tree and he like sends pictures and it's growing and he potted it and all this, so some people like still have it. But I was like, this is a lot of trees went to the garbage.
Speaker 1: Here's my uh. I know it's a good idea though, that's that's the kind of thing. On paper.
Speaker 2: They looked cute. It was like packaged cute and had her names on it. But at the end, at watching my I had a planner and watching her like try to hand out these trees, and people who had been drinking all night were like, I don't want to treat.
Speaker 3: You like one thing that bothers me about. I love to go to weddings. First of all, if somebody invites me to a wedding, I'm going. If somebody wants me there on like the most important day of their life, of course I'm going. I've been weddings on the other side of the world because it's people like I can't believe you're going to that. I'm like, they wanted me there, so that's my own need to be wanted. What I do not want is to be at a singles table. I don't like the concept of it. I don't like it feels like the loser table. It feels like, oh, because we put these people next to each other, they're randomly gonna find life gonna end up to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't like it.
Speaker 3: I think it's it's like, oh, hopefully you guys can be us someday.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, it's not good.
Speaker 2: So a lot of people do like a head table of all the bridesmaids and grooms baddis. Yeah, I don't think it's a bad thing. It's if you want it, definitely do it. Something that I prefer is just like group your people together. M Like, for example, at my wedding, my sister was my maid of honor. Instead of making her sit like right next to me or at this head table with my bridesmaids that she wasn't really friends with, I had invited some of her friends from grad school that she doesn't get to see that often, because I became friendly with them too, And so I put her at a table with them, and they were like ecstatic. They haven't seen each other in months, but they were so so close all grad school. You know, so right, I put, I put.
Speaker 3: That's always a weird dynamic at weddings. You have the college friends, you have the family, you have the work friends.
Speaker 1: You have this weird sort.
Speaker 2: Of I like doing. I like doing tables. Do a work table. Do your college table. People are going to enjoy it the most. They don't want to sit with strangers or singles table. They want to sit with you. They know.
Speaker 3: And if you're giving a toast out there, it's not for amateurs. Get some help, Like, get some help.
Speaker 1: You want to call me.
Speaker 3: I can write a really good eulogy, and I can write a really good toast.
Speaker 1: But you know, I don't want to hear.
Speaker 3: Like the first time I saw those two, I knew they were I'm not only I'm I'm You're not just gaining a husband, I'm getting a brother. Like, I don't want to hear that. Like, think outside of the box. Get a professional to help you. Here's my most controversial wedding take. And the women get so mad when.
Speaker 1: I say this. I will take it to the grave.
Speaker 3: The way that most women wear their hair on their wedding day, like tight, lacquered, pulled up or whatever. You would never wear it that way to a club. And when you're going to a club, you are trying.
Speaker 1: To look as hot as you have ever looked.
Speaker 3: So why on your wedding day are you wearing your hair in a fashion that you will never wear again in your life and you have never worn to that point in your life. Seems like the wrong time to take a risk.
Speaker 2: Do you know that all the women might hate me? But I agree with you.
Speaker 1: There we go.
Speaker 2: This has been my like you just like outed me. I've had this like like internally every time I see brides with these like little buns and yeah.
Speaker 1: Real tight and spear and I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, you kind of look bald from the front, and I don't. I don't get it.
Speaker 3: Like, well, I want it out of my face. Well there's a lot of ways to keep it out of your face, but who cares if your hair is in your face?
Speaker 1: You look hot? R get a goddamn bread Not.
Speaker 2: That what I did for my wedding was like now, I'm like, oh what I did? But like, I put the front back so it wasn't in my face, but the rest was down so I didn't look bald, and I looked like myself.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: A lot of times it's like, oh, you don't look like that ever before and ever again?
Speaker 1: Why are you all the.
Speaker 3: Days to gamble or to take a chance on a look that you don't normally do. I just think it's not a good idea.
Speaker 2: So what I really suggest the brides do when they go to their trial for hair and makeup is don't go on Pinterest. I mean, you can go on pictures, but like, don't bring a bunch of pictures of other people, right, find the picture a few pictures of yourself where you feel like you look amazing, Like I love myself in this picture. Bring that and then say, hey, do an elevated version of this.
Speaker 3: And we have so many pictures of ourselves these days, there's just another advantage, like, oh my god, I look great that day.
Speaker 1: Wear it like that.
Speaker 3: A lot of people are like, well, I'm taking advantage of the fact that I have a hair and makeup crew to give me a look that I've never always wanted to do.
Speaker 1: No, that's not what you do.
Speaker 2: So I feel like like this is not allowed for me to say, but say it. When my hair is in a bun. It's like when I look like a homeless person around the house.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you, and you also look stressed or not happy. It's an unhappy it's not a fun look.
Speaker 2: If hair is in a bun, it's probably.
Speaker 3: Not like we need more ponytails at weddings. There's not a ponytails going on. I agree, you should be fun, you should be flirty, you should be sexy, you should beautiful. There's a lot of ways to accomplish that. And sorry, a lot of people are mad at me now for saying this, but I'm glad you agreed with this.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 3: This is what I you know, and he loves you as you are, and this is the day, Like you are the one he chose. You know, a lot of women get married for a lot of reasons. She wants the house, the dog, the white picket fence. He's not even on that list. You ever noticed that that he's not even there. He I believe when he asked you to marry him, it's because he wanted to spend fifty years with you. Like I think men are fundamentally more romantic about getting married and the women are more.
Speaker 1: About the wedding.
Speaker 3: A lot of that stereotype of way, Brian Howie, what stereotypes happened for one thing that you haven't Is there something that you're like, oh my god, I can't wait for the to suggest this to the right couple to have them try it in something that you have not encountered, either being at a wedding or doing what you do for a living, and are.
Speaker 1: Like, I wish a wedding just had a bunch of hula hoops. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Is there something that you're like, somebody needs to take a chance and do this at a wedding or is that putting you on the spot too much?
Speaker 2: No? I mean I don't mind being on the spot. I don't know if it's like it's definitely been done before, but not something that I've super experienced. I love like entertainment at weddings. I know that it's like not budget friendly.
Speaker 3: Like a magician just maybe I think a magician work in the room and the reception is.
Speaker 1: A good thing.
Speaker 2: I just I just think, kind of going back to what I said, like the guests remember the food and the entertainment. I just think keeping the night fun every third minutes, do something different, add a confetti pop, add co two cannons, have the magician pop in the room. Yeah, have some dancers or something like. I just think I wish more people focused on fun. Fun.
Speaker 3: People are gonna remember how was that wedding? Oh my god, it was so much fun, And people don't focus on the fun. Focus on the fun.
Speaker 2: The other thing was like today a lot of people not wanting to do the traditional like bookay, toss, carter toss, Okay, what are you doing? People get tired of dancing?
Speaker 1: Is that considered sexist?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: A bunch of women fighting over the bouquet?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: Is that is that the reason? Like a lot of people are steering away from it.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of it's it's trendy to not be traditional, So I think that that's part of it. And then I do think, especially as you're getting into later twenties, thirties or older, a lot of your friends are married. So then it's almost like, hey, let's single out the single people and put them on display. So it's not I guess that nice.
Speaker 1: Right, that's true too.
Speaker 2: So I'm not like saying you have to do the traditional things, but do something nobody your your guests cannot just dance from seven point thirty to ten o'clock like they're gonna get bored.
Speaker 1: They are.
Speaker 3: There has to be more than pictures, food, dance, right, you have to come up with something else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's not a waste of money in my opinion. Like, no, it's not do the confetti pop, do the co two cannons. It makes great pictures. People remember it. It's so fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, be creative. What was the highlight of your own wedding? What's the thing you remember the most besides your fantastic hair.
Speaker 2: I I was really happy during the ceremony.
Speaker 1: That helps.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just remember the whole day. I was just happy and calm, and I just was nervous that I would be nervous, and I really wasn't. And so I know that that's not one moment. But I was just really happy even this ceremony. I was just genuinely happy and like in the moment.
Speaker 3: And people can feed off that, like that is a good thing. If you're happy and you can feel that, it doesn't feel like a stressful thing. And and did you know everybody at your wedding or are there people who you met for the first time?
Speaker 2: I knew there were people I met for the first time, but I knew about nine percent, Like there was a couple people on his side that I who is this cousin of yours? Yeah, yeah, there was a couple of people. And we got married pretty fast. He proposed in seven months and then we got married a year after, So.
Speaker 1: That's about right. Yeah, yeah, I think that's I think that's good.
Speaker 2: I was not down to be begging for like, I don't know, I know some this is maybe controversial.
Speaker 1: But it's called the great love debate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some women just beg for that proposal for like years and years, and I was like, uh, I don't think I want to do that, and then he just he proposed, probably earlier than I was expecting.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Was it a surprise?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Good, definitely was.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was surprised.
Speaker 3: I had like took you down a bass pro shop and shot it out of a gun.
Speaker 2: Now he wishes, he wishes. Now he did it. He did it on Christmas in front of my family and did they know?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: They knew.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 2: Right, So I had like weird feelings, like I decided I don't know why I went through, like I'm going to vlog and normally he's like put the camera away, like don't I don't want it, And that day he was like, here, babe, I'll help you set up your camera right before we were about to open presents, and I was like huh. But then I also was thinking like nope, there's no way he's going to propose, but he did.
Speaker 3: All right, all right, I'm gonna let you plug your book, your business, and your podcast, and then is your f time. On the podcast, we play something called worst date or first date, So you have to either think back to your swinging single days when you had a really bad date, or give us the really best date you've ever had could be with your husband, could be with somebody else, your choice. So first of all, tell everybody about your book, tell everybody about your business, and tell everybody where they find your podcast.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yes, I have a book. It's called Your Day, Your Way. It's on Amazon. It is an Amazon bestseller.
Speaker 1: It's a good title.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you. So yeah, Your Day Your Way on Amazon. My podcast is The Wedding Buzz, so that is on Spotify, Apple. I do upload the videos on YouTube as well if you want to watch it. We go. We talk about all things wedding and all a lot of things of that new couples are going through. And then I am a wedding planner. I am in West Palm Beach, Florida. So if you need a wedding planner or if I offer content creation services, So if you need wedding planning or content creation in South Florida, I'm your girl.
Speaker 3: Good for you, all right, worst date or first date your choice, I don't know. Well, give me your first date with your husband. Then do you remember that, yes, I do, went fly fishing.
Speaker 1: You've taken a lot of his wishes away, I know. Give you that one. That's a good, hopeful story to end on.
Speaker 2: Okay, we met him bumble.
Speaker 1: There you go, old fashion.
Speaker 2: Met on Bumble.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, so you had to go first. What was your opening line on I.
Speaker 2: Wish I remembered. I was not. I was not like interesting at all. I just was like, hey, how are you?
Speaker 1: Like? Yeah, I didn't.
Speaker 2: I was really over the dating and stuff. When I met him. I just was like kind of trying because I felt like I had to. But so I don't know, probably something boring, Hey how are you? But we did click like right away. We met three days later. We went to Elizabetha's in on Atlantic Avenue for.
Speaker 1: In Dolwry Beach, Florida.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we also we met May of twenty twenty. It was COVID. Everything was closed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a little less closed here, yeah, South Florida, but it was still Again, that was a weird time to do it.
Speaker 2: It was super weird. So it wasn't like that extravagant or anything, but it was sweet. We literally sat in the in his truck and just talked for hours.
Speaker 1: That's got as good hours. That's got as good anything else.
Speaker 2: A couple hours. Yeah, we just sat and talked as there was nothing else. The movies were closed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like your two blocks from the beach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess we could have gotten there it was raining.
Speaker 1: Nope, we just sat in the parking lot in the truck.
Speaker 2: We did.
Speaker 1: And here you are and here we are. Good for you, Thank you. This was fun.
Speaker 3: This was a little splash of hope on sort of a negative series of podcasts.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry about that. We cover all sides. Were were four hundred and something episodes here.
Speaker 3: We got to slice this apple a lot of different ways.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: As far as us and the Wedding Buzz like share, follow, please review this podcast and Wedding Buzz. Your reviews mean a lot in the podcasting ecosystem. Shoot us an email Great Love Debate at gmail dot com if you have some thoughts on wedding hairstyles or anything else that I said about this or anything else. We have a listener letter a mail bag episode coming up. I think either the next episode or the episode after that. I have a fairly big celebrity who I've been trying to get on for a long time coming up the week after that. Go to Great Lovedebate dot com. I think there's some live shows to finish out the year.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm losing my mojo on it only because I'm tired of traveling. But I do have some obligations to do some live shows. Like I said, we lost a bunch of our live tour shows to COVID and got to make them up.
Speaker 1: Got to give the people what they want because, as always at the Great Love Debate, we never stopped making love. See next time the Great Love Debate. It's the Great Love Debate, Great
Speaker 2: Love to bathe, It's a great love to bath