Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI A M six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Trump ordered, well, it was an executive order that he signed back in January declaring children born in the US not be automatically entitled to citizenship. We've got breaking news on that front. It's where we kick off swamp Watch.
Speaker 2: I'm a politician, which means I'm a cheap and a liar, and when I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing their lollipops.
Speaker 3: Here we got the real problem is that our leaders are done.
Speaker 1: The other side never quits.
Speaker 4: So what I'm not going anywhere. So now, now you train the.
Speaker 2: Swap, I can imagine what can be and be unburdened by.
Speaker 1: What has been.
Speaker 2: You know, Murvans have always been going at President.
Speaker 1: They're not stupid.
Speaker 5: A political plunder is when a politician actually tells the truth.
Speaker 4: Whether people voted for you were not.
Speaker 2: Swamp Watch, they're all counteraed.
Speaker 1: Well, here is the breaking news. The Supreme Court will hear arguments in May over Trump's plan to impose restrictions on birthright citizenship. Like I mentioned, the executive order was signed January twentieth. It was originally slated to go into effect thirty days later, Trump declaring that children born in the US not automatically entitled to citizenship if their parents are in this country illegally or temporarily. Now before that order went into effect, obviously thirty days later, several different challenges were filed in courts around the country Seattle, San Francisco, Maryland, Virginia. There was a flurry that we reported to you as they came down. United States is one of thirty countries, including Canada and Mexico, that offer virtually automatic citizenship to everyone born within their borders. This was added explicitly to the Constitution in eighteen sixty eight following the Civil War, and the Emancipation fourteenth Amendment provides, of course, what it provides in that regard. So we will hear the Supreme Court take up this issue in May. Obviously that will be a very popular decision to stay on top of us.
Speaker 5: I mentioned that Italian Prime Minister Georgia Maloney is in Washington, d C.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 5: She's been meeting with President Trump. They held that to informal news conference in the Oval Office today and there are a couple different headlines that refer to her as the European Trump whisperer. That she and Trump get along when it comes to a lot of things in terms of being right leaning politicians fighting back against woke developments when it comes to progressive politicians. But she is fully involved in the European Union and now what is going to be a potential trade conflict between the United States and Europe. She's just one of the leaders that have had to react to the global tariffs that have been faced. Maloney's Italy is part of the European Union, therefore cannot strike a trade deal on their her own, so she's going to have to act in unison with the rest of the European Union. She has sorry he Trump has said that the European Union is out to screw the United States of America. So he may say to her, Hey, I like you, but I don't like the team you're on, And she can't negotiate any sort of deal with just between Italy and the United States.
Speaker 2: She's got to defer to the European Union for the larger deal.
Speaker 1: Fed Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell came out yesterday and at a public event talked about how the tariffs will lead to inflation. Trump got wind of that and went on truth social saying that this is somebody who should lose their job and it can't happen soon enough. Well, Trump's Treasury Secretary Scott Bescent has said, let's just bump the brakes on that any attempt to fire Jerome Powell is going to be met with greater instability in the financial markets. So let's let's just calm down. Apparently Trump floated this idea that's being called legally questionable during his first term in office.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and one of the things that White House allies have been trying to say is this isn't him actually asking for or demanding that Powell be fired by the way, nominated by Donald Trump in the first term, it was more of a way for him to point to someone else and say, if he doesn't raise interest rates, that's going to be what brings down the economy, not the ongoing tariff wars, not the ongoing trade uncertainty, and not the ongoing volatility in the stock market.
Speaker 1: Well, if this sounds familiar, it's because it is, Like you mentioned, the President first elevated Powell to the fed chair back then the Central Bank raised interest rates multiple times. In twenty eighteen. Trump publicly opined about firing Powell that December, which meant the markets plunged and then they rallied once the president backed off his threats. You and to that end, you wonder, you know we planned. No, I haven't gone that far down my conspiracy whole, but you're not far off, you know. You often say, you've said it for years, ever since Trump took office. What he means to say is this or what they want him to say, or is what they should you know, you know where you're trying to constantly try and figure out what exactly he means. And the fact that the markets still respond to him the same way they did during his first term means that, you know, the president's word, even if it's flippant or erratic or just a knee jerk reaction, is still the president's word. You know. You would think, on one hand, that market, the markets and investors would recognize that this is somebody who just kind of talked out of their ass, but it's still the president, so you have to behave accordingly. Like, Yes, the market saw him threaten Powell's job the first term, and they plunged and they said, oh, no, I'm just kidding, and they went back up. How many times has he done that to the markets? I mean recently we just saw. I mean, it's just no one's saying, oh, this is just what he says and everything's going to be fine, let's not go crazy. They're still going crazy because it is the President of the United States saying these things, so we do have to take them seriously.
Speaker 2: To that end.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's been a mixed day on Wall Street so far. The Dow is down two hundred ninety points, but both the S and P five hundred and the Nasdaq are up as of right now. One of the things that he was asked about, the President was asked about in this news conference short you know, media media availability with the Prime Minister of Italy was okay, you promised everything was going to be cheaper on day one, and one of the things that he suggested was, well, all you got to do is look at the strength of our economy, which is one of the reasons why Jerome Powell has said we're not going to do anything with interest rates right now because some of the baseline important pillars of our economy are still very strong. He pointed to oil as an example. The price of oil was down below sixty bucks last week. It's now back up by a couple dollars, But that means that gasoline prices in the United States have gone down quite a bit. And he referred to a couple of places, a couple of states where the average price of average price of a gallon of gas is below two dollars a gallon right now. Now in California. That's Fairytale Land, of course, but that's different. There's different reasons for that. But he did point to other parts of the economy that have not yet been caught up in all of the volatility that's been caused by this kind of piecemeal approach to whatever's going on with the tariffs.
Speaker 1: Huntington Park, Yeah, yep, talk about a local swamp. Look no further than Huntington Park. We'll talk about it when we come back.
Speaker 5: It's like Illinois or Florida or something like that. All the political scandals or Los Angeles or Los Angeles. That type place is.
Speaker 1: Any where there's politicians, there are scandals, scandals.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on Demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 5: The Huntington Park City Council has an interesting case on its hands. They met behind closed doors a couple of months ago to talk about some routine items on their agenda, potential litigation that the city was looking for, and everybody on the council was allowed to go into this closed door meeting except council member as Morel de Castillo. She was not allowed in the room, and she was then seen a short time later picking up her things from the desk at the top there and then making a quiet exit. And when the council met again a week later, as Morel de Castillo was no longer listed as a Huntington Park City Council member. In fact, there was an item on the agenda to fill her seat.
Speaker 1: Where we last left, Huntington Park was in shambles because the DA's office had executed search warrants back in February as part of Operation Dirty Pond. This was an investigation into the alleged misuse of taxpayer funds. Remember the taxpayers. They're okayed about twenty four million dollars for this new aquatic center' is supposed to have an Olympic size pool. The whole bit, good for the community, all of the things, good for the kids, everything, but nothing had been done. Fourteen million dollars if I remember correctly, had been spent, but noron no ground broken for this aquatic center. So this councilwoman, was she on the right side of the law or the wrong side of the law. Was she going to be a whistleblower to say the other council members were dirty and hiding the money? Or was she part of the problem or is this a separate issue?
Speaker 5: Well, the separate issue is interesting because the city had apparently launched an investigation to figure out if she even lived in Huntington Park, if she was eligible to sit on the city council. They concluded that she was not, so they kicked out the shades of Bell there right. Yeah, you know, I don't know if the paycheck was the seven hundred thousand dollars a year that they were getting from the City of Bell, but they the city did tell her via a letter why don't people call Anymore? Via a letter that she'd been investigated and removed from the council as a non resident, but did not allow her to attend the closed door meeting when they actually talked about the results of the investigation. She had accused some of the members of the city council of bullying and harassment in a formal complaint in the city in January. And that's her argument, which is the only reason they actually kicked me off is because I was a whistleblower, not because I didn't live in the city of Huntington Park, which seems to be pretty easily determined. The DA's office has not taken up this case, even though Steve Cooley's actually quoted in this article. Steve Cooley, the former DA in La County, said that he's done a bunch of times. They covered a bunch of residency cases during his time as DA. The current DA's office is not going to take this case. Saying that this is civil, it's not criminal. Puts all of this thing back into the lap of the Huntington Park city authorities, which looked at the municipal code and said when a mayor or council member moves out of the city or leaves office, that that seat shall immediately become vacancy.
Speaker 1: How frustrating if you live there. It's knowing that people are just effing around with your money.
Speaker 5: You know, I don't want to work there. I don't want to live there. I don't want to work there.
Speaker 1: I want to move to a place where I don't know the language. Hand out in mangoes on the shores. What that's a delightfully, isn't it. Yeah, you don't have to speak to anybody. You're not scamming anyone. You're not charging anyone for the mangoes. You're just giving them away. So you get a lot of smiles.
Speaker 5: Feels good, seems like a fun living right.
Speaker 1: Just for today. Oh how it goes?
Speaker 2: You do day at a time.
Speaker 1: Somewhere with the sun actually shines.
Speaker 5: Mango life something to look forward to. Mark Saltz was going to join us in a couple of minutes. We'll do tech talk when we come back.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: It's time for tech talk.
Speaker 4: The machines are getting smarter. This is tech Talk, brought to you by Skynet.
Speaker 5: Pro.
Speaker 1: Mark Saltzman joins us on Thursdays and today we are going to be talking about AI. It seems like every day there's a new angle when it comes to AI, and we are just at the very beginning of this journey how to identify AI generated photos? Is it real or is it computer generated? Mark knows all the secrets.
Speaker 6: It can be tough, it can be, you know, it's even though it is early days. I agree with you, Shannon, it is getting to the point where you can it may be tough to see if it's real or not with your own eyes. Yeah, it's We're getting there. But there's a couple of little things you can do. So I wrote an article on how to detect an AI based photo or video.
Speaker 4: I guess the.
Speaker 6: First thing is just to think, well, why am I seeing this? Did somebody send you something that's unsolicited? You know, like that, like question why you're seeing it to begin with, Before you study the photo or video, just ask yourself why right? Why is you know Donald Trump sending me something selling his watches in my inbox or something I don't know America first watches, I don't know. Just so question that. But there are a couple of things you can do. So Number one is I always look at this skin first of the person. Is it too smooth, too waxy? Or is the hair just perfect? There's a kind of look that a lot of these AI programs have for skin where it's just too polished and I don't mean like a filter, it's just not real looking. And also, and this is sort of getting they're getting better at this is is the fingers and the toes.
Speaker 4: AI has trouble sometimes with you know, with.
Speaker 2: The correct number.
Speaker 6: Yeah, right, you got like six fingers and stuff like that. There's a lot of misinformation, a lot of these propaganda photos, you know, especially coming out of the wars in in Ukraine or in Gaza, where you're seeing these doctorate images that are not real and they're trying to, you know, cause an emotional reaction, which often works.
Speaker 4: But if you look at it and there you say, oh.
Speaker 6: It's that that kid has six fingers, then yeah, then you know that it's not real. Also, the eyes is a tell all things. If it looks blank or lifeless or unnaturally shiny, then that.
Speaker 4: Also can be helped. But it can be tough.
Speaker 6: And especially if you're looking at it on your phone.
Speaker 2: Everything's too small.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's small.
Speaker 6: You may not see these little things, but yeah, again, just question why you're seeing it. Another trick that I do sometimes is I do a reverse Google search, so I'll download the photo and I'll reverse search it on the Google Image option and it'll show up in multiple places and it can tell you if it's real or not. There's also free AI detection tools if you want to go that far, ones called Illuminati and other ones called Deep Fake Detector. These are tools that can tell you a little bit more definitively than your hunch, your Spidey sense if it's real or not. So that's one thing, but again to me, the biggest one is applying common sense. Why is Oprah endorsing a risky drug or an investment opportunity? Just question why you're seeing this to begin with. And then similarly, videos are it's the same thing. Look for anything weird, like the shadows don't match, or the lighting doesn't match the you know, or the look at the lips and the voice as good as they're getting. You can often tell that the voice and the lips it's not real, that's it. Or if the voice lacks emotion or has weird like a weird cadence or you know, the I play these games on my phone where I know when I'm sitting through ads on them when they're AI generated there These games are often made overseas and the ads. It's like, Hi, I'm a neuro neurologist and I recommend this puzzle game and I'm looking at the lips and this it's just it's just off. So you're again you should probably tell pretty well. So if you want to find this article on how to tell if something is fake or not a deep fake, just do a search for my name, Mark Saltzman, Mark with the sea Saltsman with the Z, and you'll and and just type in deep fake and you'll you'll be able to find my tips.
Speaker 2: Mark.
Speaker 4: I had it.
Speaker 5: I saw an image this morning, as a matter of fact, and it brought up a feeling that I saw, or that that I had when I saw another image, probably a couple of months ago, and it was a like an evolving figure. In this case, it was at a water park, so think of SeaWorld or something like that, and it was supposed to be a fat person, like morbidly obese person in the tank instead of a whale. And it was clearly an AI generated person, but the face was very realistic, uh, And it gave me this very weird feeling. And the other feeling I had that similar in that there was a video. I think I mentioned this on the air. There was a video taken in an airport walkway concourse somewhere, and there was an image of a very large spider with a human head on it, and it was attacking somebody.
Speaker 2: Now it's the weirdest.
Speaker 5: Now again those are those are, yes, But but what about it?
Speaker 4: I knew it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know it's fake, But there's there's a there's a weird and I mean legitimate biological reaction to us seeing things that like we're not supposed to see.
Speaker 4: What it is.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, again, it's just your brain telling you that is something that is not logical for you to see with your eyes, you know, I mean, like the first description about the sea world whatever, I can't envision x. I don't know how unrealistic it looked for this obese person. But the second one, clearly you don't often see a human face on a giant spider's right, not often.
Speaker 4: So yeah, that's that again, that's.
Speaker 6: That's probably an easier thing to detect than you know, what looks like a politician who you've you've seen their face a million times and you're looking at it on your phone. It may look really like them. But that one should be a little bit easier to guess.
Speaker 4: It's not. But yeah, it's that weird sensation. If you remember.
Speaker 6: TV's It is a bit off topic. The TV's a couple of years ago had this like soap opera effect on it. Oh yeah, companies were trying to smooth out motion, and it was an inexpensive way of doing it.
Speaker 4: Even though you're watching.
Speaker 6: Like Jurassic Park, it looks like a shot like on the It looks like it was like on the yn R set, you know, and it had this weird thing and it is only when you turned it off did you realize. But you couldn't put your finger on what looked weird about it. It was almost shot with like a video tape, like a video recorder, a VHS recorder from the eighties, a campquorder. But yeah, so yeah, trust your Spidey sense more than anything, you know.
Speaker 5: Spidy sense. Could we find another sense that we can why?
Speaker 4: You know, like that?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, sorry the spider spider, but the sorry about the Yeah, your gut, your gut, trust your gut, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Is there okay.
Speaker 5: The other thing is the other question I had for you was if you think back in recent history, within the last year or two, if not slightly more than that. Is there a specific image that we now know was AI generated that at the time you fell.
Speaker 4: For Yeah, I can't think of anything off hand.
Speaker 6: Again, if you do a reverse search, because you know, you might feel like you've seen that picture before and it's so when you do that reverse search, it's not just to verify if it's AI or not, but also if it's been used over and over and over again. I don't know if there I think that you know, the the meme of the guy with his arm around the girl and he's looking at another girl behind him. So that's been obviously a popular meme and everybody changes what the person is looking back at. But I don't know if that is real or not, or if that's that was a real.
Speaker 1: Feel like that's like a image image.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, like when you type in I stock photo or eddy. But I suspect I don't know if that's real. That's one that I'm not sure if it's real or not, because it's.
Speaker 1: Just it's so old. I think that it's got to be real.
Speaker 5: The reason the reason I thought of it was because when we when I saw that, we were going to do this topic today. What immediately came to mind was Pope Francis in that Balenciaga puffer jacket right right, right, a couple.
Speaker 4: Of years ago. Yeah, that was only like that. Yeah, I guess you're right about two years ago.
Speaker 1: I'm filling up my dreams with very troubling images.
Speaker 4: Yes, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: A spider wearing a puffer jacket.
Speaker 1: The hope is involved attacking somebody at an airport.
Speaker 2: All right, perfect, Mark, thank you for your time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, of course. Likewise, have a good one, happy Easter long weekend.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Appreciate that dobble gobble. Oh wait, that's different Thanksgiving. All I can think about is ham. I want to get a ham.
Speaker 5: Make sure Mark already mentioned it, but make sure you follow him on x m r C Underscore Saltsman with a Z.
Speaker 1: I think I've had a ham since we ordered a ham during the pandemic and we had Steve Gregory repart with his hands because we didn't have utensils.
Speaker 2: And we still ate it. We ate it because it was ham God good hands.
Speaker 1: For some dark days.
Speaker 2: Good Ham.
Speaker 1: Do you want your jeopardy question?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: I guess we should do it when we come back.
Speaker 2: We should do when we come back?
Speaker 1: What a tease? Love it, God, God, We're good.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 5: We're reaching about that time here in Tallahassee, where where there's an expectation we should see some information coming out Florida State official Florida State University officials I said there was a shooting on campus this afternoon at Florida State University there in Tallahassee, and as of right now, the information is that multiple people were hospitalized.
Speaker 2: One of them is said to be in critical condition.
Speaker 5: There were early reports of fatalities, but that has not yet since been corroborated, and the expectation is that they would have some sort of information now. TV cameras that are on scene just off of campus have shown plenty of students. They appear to be walking away from campus with no real concern. They're not running or anything like that.
Speaker 1: There are some footage from inside classrooms where students are underneath the desks and tables and crouched down and it looks terrifying as those alarms go off.
Speaker 5: I mentioned early on that some of the schools, elementary school districts. High school districts in the area had a lockout called not lockdown, they call it a lockout. They since returned to normal operations because the understanding is that the suspect has been taken into custody and may have actually been shot. The Florida State events, all of their athletics, everything have been canceled through Sunday, which they weren't going to do much on Sunday anyway because it's Easter. But they have said at least that most of the classes, et cetera will be completely shut down until the beginning of next week.
Speaker 2: President and no updates yet.
Speaker 1: No, it's very odd and the reports are at least one shooter is in custody. I don't know if that's because there are reports of more than one.
Speaker 2: There were early on.
Speaker 5: It seems like it's pretty common in a situation like this where they think, I think there might have.
Speaker 1: Been the way sound ricochets. President Trump, by the way, got briefed on the FSU shooting, calling it a shame and a horrible thing. Obviously. Oh wait, we didn't do the jeopardy question.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, of all the things.
Speaker 1: Goodness, the category is not so good guys for four one hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: But it's about men. Sorry, go on.
Speaker 1: In twenty fourteen, a tourist was fined twenty thousand euros for a car four carving the letter K at this ancient Roman amphitheater.
Speaker 2: Amphitheater.
Speaker 1: Think about an amphitheater in Rome? Thanks?
Speaker 2: Is that what they call it? A Roman amphitheater like the just the colisseum?
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh well, I think of a That's okay, that makes sense, I'll do.
Speaker 1: You want to know what the name of the colosseum.
Speaker 2: Is, the Roman Colisseum, the Flavian.
Speaker 1: I thought that's what it is, called the Flavian Amphitheater. Okay, is that what you were thinking of originally?
Speaker 5: Because what I was thinking of was an amphitheater like the Hollywood Bowl, where you've got a stage and half whatever image. Half of it is stage and the other half is the seating area, whereas the colosseum is a full oval or circle or whatever it is.
Speaker 1: Back in the day, go on, the Colisseum was much like the Hollywood Bowl.
Speaker 5: It only had part of it and then they enclosed it. What do you mean that's just where they did the events what exists. That's where Neil Young Colosseum.
Speaker 2: That's where Neil Young played.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know what, I didn't know. It was Moron day at work? But sorry, that wasn't nice.
Speaker 2: Wow you started early today too?
Speaker 1: No? But that was how fun was that? Was it funny? Was it funny for you?
Speaker 4: And you said my ugly face?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: I did feel better about yourself? Say?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, that's not what I said. That's not what I said.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 5: I'm not going to go through and read the text exchange, but I will say your comment to me was your face. You called me a weirdo first, and I was feeling down today, but then I thought of your face and instantly felt better about myself. We should not air out the dirty, right, and we're not going to. I just needed to explain my case.
Speaker 1: Can we pull it together? Can we pull it together? Hey? Can we pull it together? Can we let's do that? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Pull that face together didn't make any sense.
Speaker 1: We'll talk trending when we come back.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 5: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio ap