Speaker 1: Ninety seven point one the Eagle. Thank you for hanging out with us today, now don't forget. This segment is brought to you by Rollertown Beer Works, which is the brewery up there in Salina that me and Big Benner partner's in, and that is a great place to watch the playoffs, whether it's the college football playoffs, NFL Wildcard Round. It's in full swing and we hook you up out there at Rollertown. We always like to do deals on pictures of our crushable beers. You can get a picture of a crushable beer for twelve fifty. It's like the big German, which is our coal style ill that is a tribute to Dirk Rollertown Light, the one thirty three. And we have a brand new West Coast loger. Been you tried that this weekend? The thing is miraculous. I think it might be the best beer we've ever had. It's so so good. So playoff pitchers are happening during the games Thursday through Sunday. Come on into the tap room for all of that, and if you can't make it out to the tap room, pick up our fresh local Rollertown beer at any metroplex HB toldal whin it more or Goodie good He also look for us to select Kroger's across the DFW Rollertown beer Works. But right now it's time for this.
Speaker 2: I kill.
Speaker 3: This thing's big.
Speaker 4: Today in the NFL is known as black Monday because a lot of head coaches get fired, but the Cowboys work on their own timeline. Jerry talked to the media yesterday after the loss to Washington. He was asked, what's the timeline for the coaching decision is Mike McCarthy is no longer under contract as of January fourteenth.
Speaker 2: I'll follow this kind of the time frame that I've done in the past. I can tell you the past is not necessarily consistent in terms of a time frame.
Speaker 3: It's amazing, amazing.
Speaker 4: I mean, dude, that was like the first question eight seconds in and he's already nailed it.
Speaker 3: That's unbelievable.
Speaker 5: This's got everyone's spinning already. I'll tell you this guy is blue, but it absolutely is not blue.
Speaker 1: It is so great as they get the past, even though I'm not consistent there.
Speaker 4: The poor came out there.
Speaker 3: You want Courtly back or maybe others of the building don't. Is very true to that.
Speaker 2: Well, I again, at the risk of talking about something that I don't want to talk about at this time.
Speaker 3: But we've got a lot.
Speaker 2: Of work to do. But certainly we're all looking for ways to get better.
Speaker 4: At the risk of talking about something I don't want to talk about, I'm not talk about it for a minute.
Speaker 5: It's dude, it's a masterclass in marketing. It's why they're worth ten billion dollars. He doesn't want to just suddenly address it immediately like every other team, because then you can't milk it from a marketing standpoint. He's milking it all the intrigue and all the talk, all the conversation. Here we are, the season's over, they're irrelevant, and there's a huge buzz around this.
Speaker 4: And again, this went on for thirty five to forty minutes. He was asked, you know, a lot of the same questions. It got a little feisty at the end. But as we're going towards the middle of it here he was they brought up, you know, you've taken some accountability for the roster not being as good as it needs to be. Well, why make a change if you're the one who's taken you know, if you're saying the roster's not good enough because of you in some of your errors, why would you make a change of the head coach.
Speaker 2: Then again, I don't know that I am considered making a change. It's really what I'm trying to say. I agree with you. The complimentary verbiage or the complementary talk about him is I think fact. I think I can say that about him no matter what I'm thinking or not thinking, whether.
Speaker 5: If he might or someone else would be absolutely needed your head coach.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm not trying in any way to play a guessing game here with anybody. We've got some work to do, and we need to do some things differently, and we can.
Speaker 3: Now that is where I did take it.
Speaker 4: You can get the guy to slip, and I think that's where we got him. And I think right there to me, and I haven't seen anyone write this. I don't know if someone has, but to me, when I was listened to that last night, I went, they're making a change a.
Speaker 3: Coach, Yeah, what made you think that? Out of that answer, he said, they need to do some things to do diferently.
Speaker 2: We've got more some work to do and we need to do some things differently.
Speaker 3: And of course, and we can.
Speaker 5: He's not talking about the front office, which basically took the off season off and they Steven's been talking about for every team that pushes money forward, there's a day of reckoning, and that's what we're enduring right now, a day of reckoning. And he's already said this offseason is going to be very similar to last.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Mike is gonna get paid to at some point.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, hold on, hold on, though, there's a few things that I think might be different. Isn't the guy that said the off season is going to be the same as Stephen Jones?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay. They could be talking about the way they draft. They could be talking about the way they call plays. He could be talking about the way that they go about making decisions. I think I don't think that that gives us any insight at all.
Speaker 5: If they want to change the way they call plays, how can they do that with McCarthy still there? And he could have changed at any point during the season and didn't.
Speaker 4: This is where Mike is under a little bit. Mike's in an uncomfortable position because the reports are that Mike is on the list for some other teams. We still don't have any teams yet that have come out and said the Jets are the only team have revealed their coaching list. They're interviewing everyone, so he might get on that list. But again he's not under he's not out from under contract till the fourteenth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they can't.
Speaker 1: They have to request permission to anybody that wants to interview him has to request permission for a week.
Speaker 3: On the fourteenth. Mike is free and can do whatever.
Speaker 4: Right, So if Mike has all these places where he can go and be the play caller and give this other job, well, then we'll know in eight days. So Jerry could be slow playing this. I did hear Clarence say or right that it would be He thinks early next week when they'll make the decision, because they'll go through all their evaluations and all that during this week.
Speaker 3: I here's what's weird to me.
Speaker 5: Belichick was available and wanted the job, and that is such a Jerry Jones move to go get the retread out there. But they had decided early on, during a point in the season where it seemed pretty clear they were not happy with Mike McCarthy that they wanted no part of Belichick, and I think Belichick was begging for the job.
Speaker 3: So that said, that would lead me.
Speaker 5: To believe that they were going to make a change, and they knew who that change was going to be, and they've known it for a long time.
Speaker 4: That's why I don't if they know who it is, I don't know. I feel like we would have a better idea and have it pinned down who it was. Like Rabel's getting tossed out there a lot. It sure looks like the Patriots are opening up their legs for Rabel right now.
Speaker 2: Could it be?
Speaker 3: Could it be yes?
Speaker 1: Could it be Dione or Witting or something stupid that just I mean, I think I think if it was something like that, there would be smoke out there already. I would be shocked if it was. But I don't think people can keep their mouths shot. I think if it was something that juicy stuff would be out there. But they would have said to Belichick, no, you're retread. We're gonna wait and see what other retreads are there.
Speaker 3: I mean there.
Speaker 4: That's the whole thing with like Jerry one oh one here is that he would only be interested in someone who's won before if I talked about he talked openly in the press conference or in his media availability yesterday. But I'm McCarthy, is you know, one more games than Bill Parcell's. Yeah, he's the like twelfth winning as head coat, which of all time. And I think if he had to, I think if I had to bet money right now, I bet it's McCarthy again.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think that's fair.
Speaker 1: And and like when he says, you know I was joking earlier about the hay being in the barn. That's his way of telling everybody we already know what he is. Well, I think that's nothing changed.
Speaker 4: That statement was like, we're not looking at Sunday's game, right right, judge McCarthy, we already know what he is.
Speaker 5: So I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back as well, but I think it'd be short term. I don't think they're committed. I don't think they'd love him. I don't think everyone loves him. But I think there's another Next year is another ghost season. I think if they're in it, they're in it. But they're not going to do anything free agency to help. They're going to try to eat some of this dead cap money. They've had they're trying to reset their cap.
Speaker 4: Well, I would like for you guys to pull out your spyglasses because I have two more clips that on a plane.
Speaker 3: Just you know, just see if we can find anything here. Okay, No, I don't.
Speaker 4: The question here is as is this week about you and Mike getting together and doing a deal.
Speaker 2: No, I don't want to answer either one of those, but I certainly have to Jerry. I mean, it's it's a give on that I've decided. If we're sitting down talking about a deal, that's a given that I've decided to in that direction. Again, No, no, and that's you a question. Now, that's what the next few days and weeks are about. Now. Found it on everything that's happened this year and everything that's happened over the last four years.
Speaker 3: The team missus well, but that's uh.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't want to coach here that won't be someplace else.
Speaker 3: Now, Jerry may know, just like I'm suspecting. I suspect no one else wants McCarthy.
Speaker 4: That's a suspicion that's based on McCarthy's pr train get going last week. And Jerry may know that. But if a team could come snatch him in eight days. I thought it was interesting that Jerry said, if you don't want to be here, then I don't want anyone who don't want.
Speaker 3: To be here.
Speaker 5: That's what he said, right, I wouldn't want a coach that wants to be somewhere else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's I think I think that's negotiating. I think that's saying that's like, hey, man, if you want to go out there and sell your well, whereas you ain't coming back here, so you don't have any leverage here. But so think about all that. I think this goes back to what Ben said originally. I think the one thousand percent No, they're bringing Mike McCarthy back, and I think all of this is about, hey, let's stay in the headlines because we're not in the playoffs. Yeah, and I think that's what all of this is about. And I think they're bringing McCarthy back. And to me, the smoking gun was the Troyman thing, like he went on National TV and said he can't even squint an envision a scenario in which Mike McCarthy is back, and then a week and a half later said Mike McCarthy's coming back.
Speaker 3: I thought.
Speaker 4: He said that on the Fan den on the ESPN broadcast the first time he said.
Speaker 1: Monday Night Football, he said, I can't envision any scenario in which Mike McCarthy is coming back. And then on the pregame show of the Fan to Brad Sham, he said, oh, I think Mike McCarthy's coming back.
Speaker 3: That is a smoking gun for sure. It is what changed? They were?
Speaker 5: They were?
Speaker 1: They were?
Speaker 5: No, no, no, I'm saying what not with Troy? What changed with the Cowboys? Because it did feel like they were headed towards the divorce. It really felt that way.
Speaker 3: I'm still not sure. I'm telling you. I have to listen to that. Yesterday, all of it.
Speaker 4: I was like, I don't know, I don't know, and look, there's one more question, Like I know you, like, there's one more question. I want to play this because Jane asked a great question. Okay, how can you want someone to be here if you won't even tell them if they can be here? Because McCarthy and his while they're all talking to Jerry, McCarthy's in there answering questions too. Yeah, at the same time, and McCarthy said, I want to be here. Of course, I want to be here. He did that, I'm a winner thing. I want a super Bowl in this building. Blah blah blah. But so, I mean, you got guys who are kind of doing their own little thing here, which I think Jerry kind of respects.
Speaker 3: Here's the clip.
Speaker 2: Because you want someone to want to stay here if you're not telling them you want them to stay here, It's called tolerance for Rammgoody the highest exactly. The example is the Mississippi riverboat gambler. He's his most charming, he's his most glib, he's his clever when on the next card he could get thrown overboard or on the next card on the boat, that's when he's the best.
Speaker 5: If you put.
Speaker 2: Someone like that and he knows for sure of what's going to happen at the end of the night, you won't see his full potential to go. So you've got to have a tolerance form the Goody to be on the INCINNI plan. Those that have him are war daddies in a lot of ways.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's war daddies. I love it what he says, wordaddy. He was talking about coaches with incentive plans.
Speaker 5: Okay, so he's trying to go super cheap. But that would kind of lead me to what I've been pondering, is this idea that it's a two year CAPRI set at least, and this year is going to be the same, And so maybe he talks him into coming back for short term deal blaired with incentives, and if they do well, he gets to stay longer, and if he doesn't, then they'll make whatever change they're talking about mat deal.
Speaker 1: If that's the case, and we already know this, then that is the worst possible way you can run any sports organization whatsoever.
Speaker 3: Would it surprise you?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: No, no, not at all, and McCarthy would take it. Yeah, I don't. I don't. I mean, we talked about this before. I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't think there's a fascination out there for McCarthy.
Speaker 3: I don't either. I think he's I think what is happening.
Speaker 1: I mean, dude, there could be some organizations, But I think what is happening is he's proven while he's been here that the NFL has left and behind.
Speaker 5: I mean, he was unemployed in a barn, and he tricked the Cowboys into hiring him by saying he watched every play and knows how to fix every problem.
Speaker 3: Beautiful.
Speaker 5: Then he went out and they had no postseason success. And so who's looking at that, going, yeah, we need that.
Speaker 1: I thought the Cowboys were going to fire him two years ago, and here we are, all right, that is going to do it for two day. Thank you for hanging out with us. We'll certainly be back tomorrow. I'll never forget the time KT looked Jerry Jones dead in his eye and he.
Speaker 4: Said, let's just keep our ears to the ground and see see who we can come up with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that really worked out well because we all have a lot of tolerance for ambiguity. All right, coming up next, don't forget MAV's postgame. I'm sorry, pregame starts in thirty minutes right here on ninety seven point won the eagle.
Speaker 4: There you going, well, I'm gonna get my sack back, dude, but I got to take a poop.