Speaker 1: This is Jeff Johnson from the Film by podcast. Last week, Dean Jason began a nostalgic journey back to a more innocent time with two coming of age stories from Scary Junkyards and Surprising Swims, Legendary Dogs and train Dodges, Baseballs and Barfaramas. There is much to debate between stand By Me and The Sandlot, but what cannot be denied is that both films teach us about the value of real friendship. I never had any friends like the ones I have that. Listen to the Shirley You Can't Be Serious podcast, Jesus does anyone.
Speaker 2: All right, d I got a real question for you, Yes, as today as we discuss The Sandlot.
Speaker 3: Sandlot, is this a kids movie? Yes?
Speaker 2: Or is this a sports movie?
Speaker 3: One hundred percent of kids movie? Really? Yes?
Speaker 2: Interesting?
Speaker 3: Okay, So you want to know my reasoning for this?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Okay, so yeah, So the with a sports movie, there is always the competition, like that's the big thing, Like that's the driving force behind it. You know, You've got you've got Major League where you know they've got to win just to keep her from doing stuff. You've got Miracle where the underdog wins I mean it's always an underdog Rocky, Like they're always like there's this big obstacle to overcome it. I mean, Rocky is a love story, but I think it's still a sports movie because it follows that pattern. But I mean, the only time that they actually play a game against another team in this movie is about this tiny little bit of the movie. You know, it's not you don't even really see the score, you don't see who you know. I guess you can tell it from their reaction that they win, but it's not like this nail biting moment. It's not you know, Rudy gets into play or whatever. Right, it's the sports is just the through line for the friendship that these boys have.
Speaker 3: That's my thought.
Speaker 2: Okay, so my tendency is to agree with what you just said. Yeah, However, David Wright, who is a friend of the show Deaf Dave, he leading up to this he had never seen this.
Speaker 3: Movie, right, he didn't. He say something like that it was like going to be some Mighty Ducks or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was averse to watching it because he thought it would be like Little Giants.
Speaker 3: Or were these were a couple of these guys in Little Giants.
Speaker 2: Yes, we'll talk about that.
Speaker 3: I was like, okay, all right. I was like, wait a minute, I remembering this, right, Okay, okay.
Speaker 2: So he was like, I don't know, it looks kind of like Little Big League or Angels in the Outfield or some of these much more kitty sports movies. Yeah, and for whatever reason, yeah, this time in history, you had a crapload of kitty sports movies, right. And I said to him, I'm like, no, it really doesn't fit in that category.
Speaker 3: It doesn't.
Speaker 2: So while I agree with you it's a kid's movie, it's not as much a sports movie, but it really is above those kids.
Speaker 3: Movie, right, it's coming of age movie.
Speaker 4: I mean there's a difference between a movie for kids, yeah, which I mean I think kids would definitely. I think kids love this movie.
Speaker 2: I think this was this movie.
Speaker 4: And that's the beautiful part about a coming of age movie is that the kids who are the same age appreciate it, and the adults who can remember what it was like to go through that can appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean like it's like the Wonder Years or Christmas Story. You know, it's like you're reminiscing about those best times in your life.
Speaker 2: I think you're right. I think A Christmas Story is probably the best example for this category.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: Stand by I mean, unquestionably not a kid's movie.
Speaker 4: Well, but again, I mean I think if you're I think maybe a little bit older. It's supposed to be an eleven or twelve. Man, I don't know, like when I was. I think I was thirteen or so when I saw it. I'm trying to think it came out in eighty six and so that would have been ten turning eleven. I know I didn't see in the theater because it's rated R or whatever. But my buddy's Yeah, I mean, we would go camping and I can remember one of my buddies going have gun Will travels The hard of a Man, And I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, what is this?
Speaker 4: Yeah, like you don't know, stand by me, and we like got the VHS and we watched it that night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's good for me. The same thing happened. I think both of these movies. I watched one for the first time on HBO probably uh huh, stand by Me I watched an HBO Yeah, and The Sandlot I think we rented the DVD.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel that it was a similar situation with the Sandlot for me. Like it was somebody said, you're killing me Smalls and I'm like what and they're like, you haven't seen the Sandlot.
Speaker 3: I'm like, eh, yeah, I don't. I don't remember, but I know that it was not in the theater for either one of these movies.
Speaker 2: For me, by the way, I put my Shirley stamp on the Sandlot. I told Dave, I'm like, I promise you, even though Dave is not a big baseball guy, I'm like, you will love this movie absolutely. And he was captured by the magic.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: All right, by the way, welcome back everybody. This is surely you can't be serious podcast. We are here for part two of the comparison of The Sandlot versus stand By Me, and we are going to start talking about the casting on the Sandlot now right. That's so, if you didn't catch the first part, go back and check it out. We talked about casting for stand By Me and the backstory for both of these movies and how they got made and some other fun stuff, So go check that out, but then follow up with this.
Speaker 3: Here we go.
Speaker 2: Okay, before we get into casting, real quick, do you know the original title of the Sandlot.
Speaker 3: Dang I did, but it's not it's not hitting the memory banks.
Speaker 2: I'll give you a hint. Okay, one of these days we're going to cover Don Henley's building a perfect down.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It is the Boys of Summer, Boys of Summer, that's right. Yeah.
Speaker 2: They shot this movie in sequence, and David Mickey Evans has talked about how all of these boys have basically come to him and said, this was the best summer of my life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, they were in Salt Lake City instead of in California because even though his I mean David Mickey Evans story, his childhood story was in LA and then the Sandlots in LA that he went through a similar experience, which included to a scary dog named.
Speaker 3: Hercules too, by the way, is that right? Yeah?
Speaker 4: But anyway, it was you know, they had a lower budget for this movie. I think it was like seven million dollars or something, and they didn't have you know, they had a few names in it. They've got Dennis Leary, They've got Karen Allen, They've got James Earl Jones, who I think came into the movie later, like I think he just read it.
Speaker 3: And was like, yeah, I'll do this.
Speaker 2: They one day on set.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, but anyway, we'll get to him in just a second. But they decided to film in Salt Lake City, Utah. They're flying in a helicopter just trying to find locations to shoot and they see a shared backyard of several different houses that's essentially an empty lot, and so they fenced it off and that's where they made their sandlot. It's still vacant to this day. I think we need to go.
Speaker 2: You and I were talking beforehand. I was like, we we gotta go, man, we gotta go go.
Speaker 4: Visit the filming locations for the sandlot and for Dumb and Dumb, Dumb and Dummer.
Speaker 2: That's right, by the way, when they filmed in sequence, yeah, many days over one hundred degrees right, scorching hot.
Speaker 3: Tragically, not the day they shot the pool set.
Speaker 2: That's the one day it was cold and you could actually see their teeth chattering on.
Speaker 4: Yes, Squintz's quinces, I can't take it anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: By the way, the one direct, the one direction he got from the director on this one, no tongue, no time I will. I've noticed this every single first and it's the first time I saw it, and I think about it every time when I watch it again. I mean, that guy, the kid is what he's like twelve thirteen years old, right.
Speaker 2: He's little?
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, but I mean you're still you're ready for girls at this point. Sure, when they pull him out of the pool, he's supposed to be limp as a dead body, right, but he's got his hand right where her boob is about to be. And she leans down and she pushes his hand out of the way. She pushes his hand out of the way to give him out the mouth.
Speaker 3: That's hilarious. That's fine, squint.
Speaker 2: I love squints. We'll talk here in a minute about the real Michael Polydoros.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, yeah, before we get to.
Speaker 2: The cast the English mastiff at the end of the movie that licked Scottie Smalls.
Speaker 3: Yes, over two hundred pounds. That's a big boy.
Speaker 2: That's a massive dog.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's my size of a dog.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a big dog.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: All right, let's talk about Tom Gery who plays Scottie Smalls. I'm gonna go play some ball. When you need an extra guy, you want to go, thanks, Why not look like baseball?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, but but what but my glove is busted, so you no, I can't go. Thanks, though, It's okay, I got a.
Speaker 6: Next Jork.
Speaker 2: Co on.
Speaker 3: Let's go, right.
Speaker 4: So Tom and Mike Vitar they spent two weeks together, much like Stand By Me. They had spent time together before they met with the other boys before everything got started, because he wanted them to have that close bond. And he said the other boys when they finally did start filming, the other boys thought they had been friends for years.
Speaker 2: It works magically, it does. It's funny how a week in summer camp can change somebody's life. Sure, and filming is like summer camp.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Tom Griy has also been in Mister River, Yeah, The Revenant, Tiger Land, and Blackhawk Down.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, I mean he's.
Speaker 2: Not done nothing.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: The other thing that he and Mike Vitar have in common is they both have criminal records.
Speaker 3: I guess I know.
Speaker 2: This really breaks my heart. There are a lot of people in this cast been in trouble with the law before Tom Griy got arrested in twenty thirteen for headbutting an officer. And then I sent you a video this week. Yeah, and I guess he lives in South Carolina.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if I remember right, it was like he thought that his wife had been over at his neighbor's house full around or whatever, and so he's you got a little ring camera or he's yelling and banging on the door with a.
Speaker 2: Knife in his hand. Uh huh, with a knife in his hand.
Speaker 4: And then he goes and gets a like a thirty five pound dumbbell and chunks it through the guy's wind shield.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was had charges of assault, disorderly conduct, and malicious damaging of property.
Speaker 4: Yes, And judging by what I saw on the film, I think that it was not just a broken heart that was infiltrating his blood veins at that point, I think he definitely was on something.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think you're right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you're right.
Speaker 2: So, Okay, Tom Gary plays Scottie Small's brilliantly in this movie. His transformation, I think is great. He goes from the left out dork wimp to hitting home run yeah with a Babe Ruth ball, a Ruth signed ball.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Before we go any further, what do you think about the baseball played in this.
Speaker 4: I mean it's kind of one of those things where They've done a good job with the editing so that you don't see the kids flubbing the ball too much. Like they look like they can play ball, and they may have. They may have played ball a little bit before acting or whatever, or you know, as kids. But I can you know, I'm not a good ball player. I was an awkward kid. I can see the awkwardness in some of the scenes that I could see like, Okay, well they've they've cut this just the right moment so you don't see it's kind of you know, noodle alarm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the there's only one one thing I have problem with, And as a former baseball player, I think I feel like I can kind of see some things.
Speaker 3: Go for it.
Speaker 2: I do think they did a good job because the kids went to baseball camp for a couple of weeks, yeah, where they hit and fielded in through and learn how to do all that stuff.
Speaker 4: They I mean, because they're kid actors. They couldn't film more than eight hours a day. They all lived in the same apartment complex. While they were filming, they would go to the batting cages and they would go play catch together.
Speaker 2: That sounds like heaven, hanging out with my friends all summer long, swimming at the pool, playing baseball, causing mischief. Yeah, there's only one scene that I have problem with. It's when Ham hits the home run where they lose the ball and they're all throwing their gloves at him. They're like, you idiot, now we got no ball, we can't play anymore. And he's like low and outside, just like I like it.
Speaker 6: Long ballater mandas, Yes.
Speaker 3: Whoa go?
Speaker 6: That pitching tennis tis rocking mething a hit? All right, em, this is my haater.
Speaker 2: I dare you did it?
Speaker 5: You'll be sorry.
Speaker 3: What the heater?
Speaker 6: I'll cot.
Speaker 2: When he hits that ball on screen, like that's a pop up to right field that came off his bat straight up into the side.
Speaker 3: But you know movie magic, fine exactly.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, So you talked about Mike Vitar who plays Benjamin Franklin Benny the Jet Rodriguez. He was in The Mighty Ducks Part two and part three and then has moved on. He's a fireman now, Okay. He also got arrested. He and some friends were arrested for assault with a deadly weapon. No word on what that weapon was, but they got in a fight with a guy at a bar and nearly be him to death.
Speaker 3: Well sometimes this happened something something. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Anyway, so I always growing up noticed that, like, man, they got the perfect actor to play the adult Benny the Jet Rodriguez because they look.
Speaker 3: So much like.
Speaker 4: I'm like, it can't be the same guy, because the guy has got a real mustag. Right, it's not the same guy, but they look so much alike.
Speaker 3: It was his older brother.
Speaker 2: The older brother, Yeah, Pablo Vtar genius.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, perfect, And they're both listen.
Speaker 2: I have complained before, mainly when we watched Bull Durham. I'm like, Tim Robbins cannot throw a ninety eight mile off an hour fastball, There's no way. Yeah, both of those guys are athletic. You can tell both actors in real life are athletic.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And when Benny the Jet steals home, I'm like, yep, looks good to me.
Speaker 4: Well, you said that that Mike becomes the becomes an LA firefighter, right, his older brother is LAPD There you go, tragically passed away at forty one from cancer. But you have to be in shape to at least get those jobs, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have one small plot problem talking about Benny of the jet. Okay, I just want to throw it out right now so we can address it.
Speaker 3: Okay, timeline wise.
Speaker 2: How old do you think he is in nineteen sixty two? We're talking fourteen?
Speaker 3: Yeah, fourteen, yeah, fourteen.
Speaker 2: So that would mean that he was born in nineteen forty eight. Yes, So if he's playing baseball for the Dodgers present day nineteen ninety three, yeah, that would mean that he was forty five. Yeah, stealing home at forty five and looking twenty five.
Speaker 4: Well, the thing is is that, I mean, does that have to be nineteen ninety three Dodgers or could that be eighty three Dodgers?
Speaker 3: Could it be twenty five?
Speaker 2: I guess it could be.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: I feel like that is meant to be modern day, but maybe not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 4: What is troubling to me is the guy who's playing the adult Scottie Small Sarlos Howard. He looks like he's forty five, that's the thing. Yeah, yeah, he does. He looks like he's forty five. So I don't know, well, like how old. I don't know how old was Pete rose Put when he was?
Speaker 2: I mean there are exceptions. Ricky Anderson played he was nearly fifty.
Speaker 3: So and he stole some bases.
Speaker 2: But he was a bass dealer. Yeah, no doubt about it. All right, So Mike Vitar Patrick Renna steals every single scene that he is in.
Speaker 5: He wants more small, No, no, you want to small? I have you had anything yet? So how can I have some more of nothing?
Speaker 3: You're killing me small? I love this? Yeah.
Speaker 4: And you know what's great is that he's he's come back in like he I'm seeing him on TV and stuff, like he's doing a Hershey's commercial teaching his kid how to make s'mores genius.
Speaker 2: By the way, on the Mummy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yep.
Speaker 4: And I guess he's written a book. You know what I learned from making the Sandlot and all this other stuff. And one of the things that he talks about in the book, one of the rules that he has come up with is based on that scene where it's the confrontation between him and the rich kid out on the sandlot before they you know, you throw like a girl that one.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you play.
Speaker 3: Ball like a girl.
Speaker 4: He's like he's going through it and he he's talking about his how you have to be ready to make a transition at any time because Apparently in that scene, Benny was the one that was supposed to be saying all of those things. That's right, And it was just at that moment the day of that, they're like, Benny wouldn't be a guy who was trash talking like this. This would be something that Ham was doing, and so he had to be able to he had to be able to rattle those lines off quickly, and wasn't prepared for it. And I see him talking. He's doing a you know, a walk and talk Facebook reel or whatever, and he's like, all of a sudden, I thought to myself, have I been wrong about this? Have I been wrong the whole time? Was this a made up memory? Because we do we have these made up memories, you know, And.
Speaker 3: He said so.
Speaker 4: Fortunately, now I have the Internet and so I could pull the original script and I looked it up and I was like, oh no, it says Ham says these lines, Like I'm wrong, I was the one who was scripted to say these lines the whole time. And he goes and I was just beating myself up and like, I can't believe that I was sure about this memory. I wrote a book based on this memory. And he goes, wait a minute, I have an original script. So he goes to his mom's house, goes to the attic, opens up boxes until he finally finds it, opens it up and the lines all say Benny not Ham.
Speaker 3: He was like, woo.
Speaker 2: He and his wife are hilarious. They do sort of funny Facebook reels, you know. Oh yeah, so they're both jogging, they're both overweight, they're kind of cue yeah, and they say things like suspect getting away on foot, you know, moving at three miles per hour, you know, and they're cracking each other up.
Speaker 3: As their jogging. That's great. Yeah, love him.
Speaker 2: He was in Son in Law with poly Shore.
Speaker 3: Oh was he?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh? Where he steals every scene? He's with polyshor in How'd you do it?
Speaker 7: Your PC got harshed right because your system heap sent the wrong parameter. So I toasted the data directory, tweaked the p RAM, and reglaced your sub routine.
Speaker 5: How someone like you get into computers?
Speaker 7: Grew up at Caesar's Palace all right in Vegas, you know, gambling cons the whole package, right, didn't have any friends, so I just pounded away on the old keyboard for a couple of years solo mission.
Speaker 6: So you're just an old hacker like me, but this guy's as an idiot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, basically, Oh my gosh, I mean it's been a minute since I've seen.
Speaker 2: Oh, I Love I Love Son and Law.
Speaker 4: Of course it's got the uh what's her name, je Carno, Gia Carlarow Smoke Show.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I watched Sin City for the first time this past week. Dang, Yeah, I guess I need to watch that.
Speaker 3: You haven't seen it now? Oh yeah, she's majors. Yeah, and she's majorly unclothed.
Speaker 4: Knocking that one down IMDb watch list.
Speaker 2: Patrick Grenner was also in The Big Green, which is basically like a Sandlot version of Soccer.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, have you ever seen that one? No?
Speaker 4: Exactly, Yeah, I put that in the same category that David right put this movie until we stirred.
Speaker 2: Him straight, all right. Chauncey Leopardy. Yeah, this is squintce Michael Squints, Polydorus.
Speaker 5: Yeah, come on, Benny Man, the kid is a l seven waiting. Yeah, Oscar Mayer even foot long Dodger DoD.
Speaker 2: I mean he was in the Big Green with Patrick Grenner.
Speaker 3: He's also in Father of the bride.
Speaker 2: He's been a walker Texas Ranger. I think this kid does an amazing job. Absolutely, the smirk that he gets on his face when they pull him out of the water and yeah yeah, he goes, yeah, yeah, he looks pretty crappy, and then he gets that massive smile and you realize, like we as the audience realize, as she's listening to for like a heartbeat, we're like, he's faking this. Yeah, And we're like at that moment, we're like, Wow, what this kid is. What a brilliant And then when he puts his hand on the back of her head and this magic moment starts up. When I first saw that, we were dying laughing. We're like, legendary.
Speaker 5: That of course I did been planning it for you.
Speaker 2: And you know, I watched these reaction videos on YouTube and basically every woman who watches it is like that is a known know, you cross the line, but it's still really funny.
Speaker 3: Are we going to talk about Wendy Pefrickcorn by the way.
Speaker 2: Wendy Peppercorn Majors, I mean, let's.
Speaker 3: Talk about her. She's still a smoke show.
Speaker 2: Marley Shelton. Yeah, she was in the Scream a couple of the scream movies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, has been in a few series where she's playing an agent. She's looking good.
Speaker 4: She still looks she's a beautiful woman, fifty fifty one years old something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's all right essentially. Yeah, she was in Never Been Kissed and also Pleasantville, another movie that I love.
Speaker 3: Which would Yeah that's good.
Speaker 4: That would be a good one to throw back too, because that's an underappreciated gym. I really think it was.
Speaker 2: It was such a good movie. Yeah, Okay, Marty Yorke plays yeah Yeah.
Speaker 3: Have you seen him lately? Yeah?
Speaker 2: The kid who plays yeah yeah is jacked. Okay, And the funny part is that, you know they're all friends, they'll still run like a duck.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty crappy. Patrick Grenna, who is a chubb. You know, he's a fifty year old, a little slightly overweighted man. We all do when they get together. He's like and Marty Yark always puts us a shame because he's all muscled up.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Brandon Quinton Adams, I've been dying to talk about this guy. Okay, So he plays Kenny de Nunis, Okay, Okay, yep, he's the black kid who's the pitcher right right?
Speaker 3: And you and I were talking beforehand.
Speaker 2: There's really no mention the Negro leagues at this time.
Speaker 4: Uh huh, hey YouTube, but we're permitted to say that that was an actual historical thing.
Speaker 3: Okay, so just chill in trouble for that. I don't think you shouldn't.
Speaker 4: But stupid crazy YouTube and Spotify are doing nuts stuff right now.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So, so there is a mentioned by mister Myrtle, who is James Earl Jones, Yes, that he used to play baseball with George right, George Herman Ruth Ruth right, the Great Bambino, the Sultan of Swat, the King of Crash, the King of Crash, the classes of Cloud, Classes of Cloud. Yeah, yeah, the Great Bambino.
Speaker 3: Oh that guy.
Speaker 2: And you and I were kind of talking beforehand, like what what's the timeline here? How would they play together? You know?
Speaker 4: Yeah, because Babe Ruth ended his career in what was it like thirty five something, and I think what it was at forty seven that Jackie Jackie Robinson came in.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So my understanding is that there was the Negro League and the Major League, but during the off seasons they would enter scrimmage and hang out and play ball against each other, and so there was very much a good chance league or something like something like that. Okay, yeah, so that they would have played against each other.
Speaker 3: Okay, so acceptable, all right, interesting fact.
Speaker 2: With that in mind, Yeah, go ahead. The Kenny, the kid, the pitcher. Yeah, he's wearing a Kansas City Monarch's hat, which is a Negro League team, and they don't really mention it. It's just a cool nod.
Speaker 3: Yeah it is. It's a nice nod.
Speaker 2: By the way, in Kansas City there is the Negro League Hall of Fame, which is fantastic to go visit. Oh cool, Yeah, really, neat.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that. I've been to Kansas City a couple of times now I have called him dang. Okay, all right.
Speaker 2: Somehow we also forgot to mention that Brandon Quinton Adams is also the little kid. His name is Zeke in the Moonwalker movie the Michael Jackson. You probably know him best from the Smooth Criminal video. He's the kid that goes Yeah. Man, I taught him everything he knows.
Speaker 3: So either way.
Speaker 4: James Earl Jones obviously also in Field of Dreams, another big baseball ish movie if it.
Speaker 3: Is about baseball.
Speaker 2: Ray Yeah hates baseball. I know, I really like talking about that.
Speaker 3: Dude must love baseball. He's in these two big baseball movies. Yeah, no, he hates it. It breaks my heart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, Now you've got some other guys. Grant Gelt plays Grover Bertram Weeks Rye Right, he's the second baseman, you know.
Speaker 4: Which is interesting, it says because I always thought this that was kind of a lame like after story for Bertram, like he gets into the sixties. As it turns out later on in nineteen ninety nine he was in a movie called the Sixties.
Speaker 3: That's funny. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So then you got Timmy Timmins and you've got Tommy Repeat Timmins.
Speaker 3: They invent mini malls.
Speaker 4: They were like, br like that was the best I've really the backstories are the next stories or whatever.
Speaker 3: They are a lot to be desired on those.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like the end of the Hot for Teacher video, you know. Yeah, but the Big Three Dennis Leary, yeah, Karen Allen and James Earl Jones.
Speaker 6: Dinnis.
Speaker 2: Leary goes on to have a amazing career.
Speaker 4: He got Artla Floor too, right, and Art Leffloor. Yeah, he plays Babe Bruce. He was also in Field of Dreams. Yes, I can't remember which baseballer he is in that one, but I remember him talking like we were gonna invite Ty Cobb, but we all thought he was.
Speaker 2: Right, so fim, Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Dennis Leary world famous actor now stand up comedian during this time. His stand up at this time I thought was the funniest thing I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: Oh he was great. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Karen Allen plays Marion Ravenwood from Raiders of the Freaking Lost Ark.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Karen Allen also in Starman.
Speaker 3: Oh that's right. And the guy who wrote stand By Me, who wrote the screenplay, wrote Starman, he worked with. He and the writing partner were worked on Startman together. Out of the Connection area, yep. Cool.
Speaker 2: James Earl Jones plays mister Myrtle Yes on set one day okay, and and there.
Speaker 4: Are only forty two days of filming. That's actually a significant portion.
Speaker 2: I saw Rich Eisen ESPN personality interviewing Patrick Grenna, oh okay, and he was like, listen, I mean, were you guys, like, did you know James Earl Jones. He's like, uh, of course, like yes, yeah, and he's like Darth Vader voice, are you kidding me?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Of course we knew who he was, and they were a little bit intimidated by him. Didn't really hang out with him a whole lot, didn't really interact with him a whole lot. But yes, they were all in, you know, reverence of him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I mean they're not. I don't think any of the kids share screen time with him other than Mike Vitar and Tom Geary Gary.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, still really cool to have the voice of Horse Vader. Okay, and that's that's pretty much it. Okay, we already talked about Marley Shelton.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 4: I just want to touch on the music on these two things, right, Okay, Yeah, I don't need to go into every song, but both of these movies have an incredible amount of like late fifties early sixties gold music soundtracks. Fantastic. But we can we can move on past past that. Let's talk about interesting tidbits.
Speaker 2: Which you got for Okay, tidbits sandlot. Yes, the scene where the kids chew the tobacco, Yes, really fun. They created this vomit out of bike beans, split piece soup oatmeal water.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so what I heard.
Speaker 4: Obviously, they didn't give these children real tobacco they used. They mixed beef jerky and licorice that would make me throw up faster than actual tobacco would.
Speaker 2: I think, Oh my gosh, that scene is so funny.
Speaker 4: And I think a couple of the guys actually did get sick just from the toily whirl ride that they were on, which I would have, like I get sick on a swing set.
Speaker 2: So I did hear that One of the things, the mischievous things that the boys did while they were at baseball summer camp. Yeah, filming was the older brother of Tom Giriy got them all in to see basic instincts.
Speaker 4: Oh right right, yeah, well again, yeah, another common thread. The kids are out there doing things they're not supposed to do on their offset. By the way, real quick going, since we did just touch on stand By Me. Yes, there's an actor who actually played the dead body, Yeah, like Latrell. I don't remember what his first name is, but if you want to see what he looks like in real life the vomit scene in stand By Me, he's the guy standing behind the two twins. Really, yeah, the guy who plays the dead body is in in the.
Speaker 3: Revenge of lard Ass Hogan.
Speaker 2: That is a really cool like Easter egg.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, very good.
Speaker 4: He ends up being a stuntman, like the actor ends up being a stuntman and a bunch of stuff after that.
Speaker 2: Man, I love that stuff.
Speaker 3: That's really interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, the last tidbit I have on the sandlot.
Speaker 3: Yes, Kobe Bryant, before his.
Speaker 2: Death, would watch this every Fourth of July with his family. And I'm sure he is not the only person to do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Probably a Yeah, probably a major family fun movie for Fourth of July. Great Fourth of July scene. And I told you I was. I watched that scene. I remember, I'm sitting in the airport waiting to fly to Germany. I'm watching the scene on my phone and I'm like the scene where it's Fourth of July. The fireworks give them enough light to play on the sandlots, so they go and have a night game, and there's this moment where Benny hits a big one and the kids are all like you see them all looking up at the fireworks as he's running around the bases. And I called you up and I said, think about this scene. What other baseball movie does this make you think of?
Speaker 2: And I said, the Natural, The Natural.
Speaker 4: It is absolutely The sparks are flying, everybody's staring up in awe, and he's just slowly rounding the bass. It's a great It is a great takeaway. And I got to give this up for you know, I feel bad for the poor guy who get kicked off of the radio flyer. And the directing in the movie isn't what I would be like, Oh, here's a brilliant director, but he does stuff throughout this movie where he's borrowing things that are brilliant. Moments like when they're trying to get the ball back, it's like it's a.
Speaker 2: War movie, right, yeah.
Speaker 4: And whenever, whenever Benny decides to ump over the fence and confront the dog and try to get the ball, it's like a Western, like you got the yeah playing and it's a standoff. I mean, he really does a great job of just giving you the elements of these movies without blasting it in your face. So I think, I mean, let me wrong. Stand By Me is the beginning of the career of one of the greatest directors of our time. And this is this guy's one off one hit wonder, but he does deserve some respect for what he did with the direction of this.
Speaker 2: He smashed a Bennie the Jet home run with this one. You know, by the way, I just touching on the fireworks scene. You're right, it's like you witnessed the greatest thing ever by Benny hitting a home run against the backdrop of watching the greatest thing ever. You think back as a kid, fireworks were magical.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 2: That scene is so.
Speaker 3: Good, Happy before the July everybody, All.
Speaker 2: Right, let's flip back to stand by me for tidbits.
Speaker 3: Yeah, give it to me, Okay, if.
Speaker 2: We ever make it out to Brownsville, Oregon. They chose this site because it looked like the fifties. Still sure our buddy's over at the Totally Eighties and Nineties podcast. I think they live kind of in the Portland area. They may be able to say hi to them when got there. Yeah, there is a penny that is like permanently added to the sidewalk out there where Verne picks up.
Speaker 3: A penny plastic. That's fantastic, Like you know what, they'd cool. They had no end for his character at the end of the movie. They didn't.
Speaker 4: He was just walking away and they're so he can't let Vern just walk away like this, and said that was what they put in and it was the perfect.
Speaker 3: ENDNY seven cents Vern.
Speaker 2: Every time you see the kids smoking and stand by Me, Rob Ryaner is a very staunch anti smoker. In fact, he politically like lobbied for anti smoking laws in California and did some work with that. So anytime you see a kid smoking that is like rolled up dried cabbage leaves.
Speaker 4: I don't know that that's gonna be a whole lot better for you. I've never smoked cabbage before, but I can't imagine that it's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I found this tibit. I thought it was really great. When they screened stand By Me for Stephen King, oh yeah, during the screening of this movie, he started to shake.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Rob Reiner notices he is visibly shaken.
Speaker 2: Yes, And he had to like step out for fifteen minutes and to like compose himself. And when Rob Riner's like, I don't know what's going on here, like what's going on? And he's like, what do you think? And he's like, I'm sorry, I just think this is the greatest representation of any work that I've ever done. This and Shawshank are his favorite.
Speaker 3: Works, which we talked about of course.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and this is Rob Reiner's favorite movie of his own, Like he's like, I've loved all of my movies, and I think I maybe I've done better movies.
Speaker 3: But this is my favorite.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so good.
Speaker 4: And you know, of course he and Stephen King team up again later when they do Misery, which is another fantastic movie. And then they when they do that, they bring along Princess Bride writer William Goldman, which I mean, Butch Cassidy, Sun Dance Kid, Princess Bride Marathon Man, I mean, he's just an icon as well. But a Misery is another phantom that could be a good Halloween October episode. We do Misery, I mean, we've done a Stephen King three way before. If you haven't seen it, go check out our Cujo versus Dead Zone versus Christine. Christine, by the way, is the name of my new tesla. Yes, because she seems to be fine when I'm the only one in the car anybody else is in the car, she seems to get jealous and do some weird parking stuff.
Speaker 2: By the way, I believe in the book Kujo it mentions I got that reversed. In the novella of stand By Me the body, Yeah, Kujo is mentioned really and compared to Chopper.
Speaker 3: Oh nice, So there you go.
Speaker 2: You know what else was a fan of stand By Me from an early age, like posters on the wall, that type of.
Speaker 3: Thing I do? Is it? It is Rebecca Ramone Ramon Ramon.
Speaker 2: Rebecca Ramon Stamos, who ends up marrying Jerry O'Connell.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he didn't know like they were dating, they might have been engaged, and they were just out one night after having been together for a while and drinking a bit.
Speaker 3: One of her friends leans over and she's like.
Speaker 4: You know, stand By Me was like her favorite movie growing up writing He's like, what.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. If you don't know who Rebecca Romain Stamos is, if you've ever seen The X Men, she's.
Speaker 3: She's Mistique and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or if you've ever seen a Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition.
Speaker 3: Lots of those. Okay, are we to final judgement?
Speaker 2: To final judgment?
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm gonna go first this time? All right, all right, Okay, I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: Go first this time.
Speaker 3: Okay, you go first time.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go the first because I think I know where you're going.
Speaker 3: Okaye, be that way go.
Speaker 2: I just don't want to be swayed by your opinion.
Speaker 3: All right, all right.
Speaker 2: I love both of these movies. I think they're both excellent at what they do in capturing the young kid spirit, kind of the amazement and the losing, sort of like the just beginnings as you're losing your innocence and venturing into young adulthood. And stand by Me, you have conversations where they're talking about cherry flavored pez and goofy Verne pointing a pointing a gun at every sound in the woods because he's scared of the woods, like those are all little kid things. And then they're confronted with the reality of death, and to me, I'm like, man, that that's kind of a punch in the face. Sandlot never really gets all the way to the realities of life, but it captures that moment in time where everything in your life is the most the biggest pickle you've ever you know, the most desperate thing you've ever done, because you haven't done all that much, but going to the pool and fireworks and baseball, stealing a kiss, stealing a kiss by grabbing the back of her head, all of those things I think are really represented super well in The Sandlot. The Sandlot loses me a little bit in the third act with the erector set and the giant dog and all that stuff. Now, I was talking to Dave about it. He thought, all that was kind of still kind of the embellishment of the imagination and that type thing. Stand By Me, though, I think sticks the landing for act three so well that despite me having a better time watching The Sandlot, stand by Me is the better movie. So I'm spiking the football stand by Me.
Speaker 4: Okay, excellent, both of these movies. I mean, I think this this was another great matchup. This is to put these two movies together because they are both very much about the coming of age and when you leave your parents' house and you start to become who you are, right you leave the parents and you become you. And The sand Lot is so funny in so many scenes that I mean, I'm laughing out loud throughout the movie, and I'm also laughing at stand By Me. You don't have the darkness that you have in you don't have the darkness of stand By Me. In the Sandlot, there's I mean, the worst thing is that he's lost a priceless baseball, right, That's that's that's the big Oh no, that's the big pickle.
Speaker 2: That's a big which is huge. It's like at Ferris Mueller, Oh no, I'm dead meat on a stick.
Speaker 4: Right, But it's not lying to your parents traveling all day long across the county to look at a dead kid.
Speaker 3: That's heavy.
Speaker 4: And so there's a possibility that, man, I want a fun movie, Like if I'm thinking about my childhood, I want something fun. What I can say is with stand By Me, you have a movie that not only makes you laugh, it makes you cry. Because when you go through that change in your life when you come of age, it's not all baseball and fireworks and big cakes and running around with your friends. Sometimes it's dealing with the things that make you incredibly sad. And I think because The Sandlot grabs that, that is why it's one of those movies that's a mount Rushmore kind of movie. Like if you if you say coming of age movies, this is the pinnacle, right, sand Lot is fantastic and I love it and if I just want to be relaxed and have fun with my family, I'm going to watch that one.
Speaker 3: But stand by hit Me. HiT's on more levels, higher levels, and.
Speaker 4: Is is better written, better acted, better directed, and better shot than any of these than anything in the Sandlot. And so I got to say, stand By Me is the clear, clear winner in this, but Sandlt is fantastic.
Speaker 2: I love I love it.
Speaker 3: I guarantee you I have.
Speaker 4: Seen sand Lot a multiple of times more than I've seen stand By Me because stand By Me is harder to watch, but it's it's better.
Speaker 2: It's just better sand Lot on the rewatch scale, super high.
Speaker 3: Very much.
Speaker 2: All right, that does it for us?
Speaker 4: Okay, Sandlot fans, tell us why we're wrong, tell us why I stand By Me doesn't match up to the Sandlot. You know you're gonna have a hard case to win, but I think that there are probably some people out there believe it.
Speaker 2: I changed my mind. I love Sandlot.
Speaker 3: Just kidding. All right, thank you guys so much. What do we got coming next week? All right?
Speaker 2: So, d next week we're going to be diving into something that tends to be big crowd pleasers for us. Oh okay, yep, we are going to compare and contrast to eighties soundtracks. Okay, starting with the Vision Quest soundtrack.
Speaker 3: I've not seen that movie.
Speaker 2: I got I've got it right over here. I'm giving it to you. You gotta watch it, okay, And then we're going to compare it to a movie that we've already covered earlier this year, Pretty in Pink. But we're going to concentrate on the soundtrack versus the soundtrack.
Speaker 4: Okay, soundtrack versus soundtrack, Pretty in Pink versus.
Speaker 3: Vision Question Quest.
Speaker 4: All right, and so both of those movies I will have seen for the first time this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's gonna be grateful.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I don't know what the soundtrack is.
Speaker 4: I mean, I kind of have a sum familiarity to the soundtrack from when we covered the movie, but.
Speaker 3: I don't really remember all the songs. So great, I love it. Let's do it.
Speaker 2: Awesome fun, all right, come back next week.
Speaker 3: SciTE about this plan. I'm excited to be a part of it.
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 3: Thank you guys, We'll see you next week.