Speaker 1: So if he's got some good hands and feel, this is too good.
Speaker 2: It's not just the flat that he's one, it's the way he's played the match.
Speaker 1: He has a candy bar and an RC coke. You aren't kidding me. Come on, Mark, and this is unbelievable.
Speaker 2: He might have caught some unbelievble energy to the court with the fans and then with his player as well, and with his personality. So it was very, very refreshing to play against an appoint like.
Speaker 3: This, you know who draws in the crowds and come with some.
Speaker 1: Great shop making. I'm not sure he can playing grass. That's that's good.
Speaker 2: This is our countdown to Wimwoden and we're going to be here daily because nine years after capturing the nation's heart, Marcus Willis is to play Wimweden once more. Now, just as a little pre announcement, we can't promise the best of all quality because Marcus is in hotels, traveling. I'm running a tennis coaching business. I've just asked the stringer in the office with me to go for a cup of tea. But what we want to do is over the next week we want to do a countdown to the first match and then fingers crossed beyond. So the goal of this podcast is really to open the door and get behind the scenes and one of Britain's best doubles players as you prepare for Wimbled and so Marcus, how are you mate?
Speaker 1: I'm very well, thank you.
Speaker 3: Just got back from Eastbourne yesterday and Woman and Prepper is beginning as of today. So yeah, I'm doing quite well. Busy time of year, but very happy to be partaking in the grass court event.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean it grasses your surface, right, I like it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it feels you know, when you first step out into the grass, it feels like home. You know that now feels nice and soft under your feet.
Speaker 2: We're only doing like a quick update day by day, but I've got some great stories that I want to share with everyone about you. But I've got one from last year's Wimbledon as well that I want to share. So I'm just I'm writing it down to make sure that I don't forget it. Tennis Tennis wise, what's been happening over the last.
Speaker 1: Year's been cracking on.
Speaker 3: I'm kind of very similar in ranking to where I was last year. It's been playing playing a lot, lots of different partners, you know, not all good, you know, as I'm as I'm sure you're aware.
Speaker 1: I went out to Australia and cam Nurray.
Speaker 3: Had to pull out there, so you know, that was kind of four weeks where I couldn't really play tennis. So I lost a few points there and it's just about trying to find my game and yeah it sounds really boring, but just been cracking on and trying to play and it sort of came good April time went out to Mexico, started finding my form again because I was rubbish for a little bit and I have no idea why, but yeah, I've started to started to play well. Last last you know, three tournaments have been positive. Obviously played Queen's Eastbourne and lost a couple of you know, tight match tyreks to top pairs in the world, so I'm obviously doing something right.
Speaker 1: But I want to be winning those matches. So Winburon is the next one.
Speaker 2: It was Murray and Ram yesterday, wasn't it down in Eastbourne? And ten eight in the champions tiebreak after a couple of tiebreaks.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, it was first set and not a lot of drama.
Speaker 3: Seconds that we were two love Love forty up and then really should have been you know, three love serving and then got broken back at five to four.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's one of those things.
Speaker 3: You know, I didn't I didn't make enough returns in the match Tyrek to personally, but you know we got we got two on their serve.
Speaker 1: And just didn't win enough on ours. It was annoying, you know.
Speaker 3: I look back to some of the decisions that I made and I'm like, maybe I should have it's always high in sight, but you know I went for a chip lub or maybe I should have hit it and then but had I hit it and missed it, I would have said, you should have gone.
Speaker 1: For a lot.
Speaker 3: But it's one of those It's it's quite a sore one. But obviously I'm playing some of the best doubles players in the world. You know, they're very experienced. Murray and Ram and one a few Grand slams between them.
Speaker 1: I'd say, yeah, just a bit.
Speaker 2: How do you find out about Winwood and wild Card?
Speaker 1: How do you find out? You either get a call or I found out Queen's so.
Speaker 3: So Leon came and told me that it had been approved by the or England Club that I was playing major doubles with Billy. But yeah, you always know who you're going to enter with. And then I think what happens is the LTA have a meeting with the Orlingland Cub and they have a list of recommendations and then make a decision based you know, on that. They can obviously, you know, give one cast to people that aren't record mended, but I think if your name's on that list, you've got a fairly good chance of getting one. So you know, I knew my name was going on that list a few weeks ago, but obviously you don't want to turn up and play terribly as well, because you know things can change last minute.
Speaker 2: So and how did you choose your partner?
Speaker 3: I know you speak, you speak to all the bricks are pretty connected, and it's a it's a difficult one, really, You've got to They set a criteria that's you know, pretty accurate.
Speaker 1: If you're top two fifty combined, you've got a good chance. And then.
Speaker 3: I know, you know, the last few years they favored you know, singles guys. And I'm good friends with Billy, so I spoke to him earlier in the year and said, if our rankings are in a good place, do you want to play the grass season together? And he said, yes, that's always been part of the plan. And yes, so I've known for a while if I was playing with Billy that was that was our choice.
Speaker 2: And this is Billy Harris, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Billy Harris. Yeah, I don't really know how to explain it. It's kind of Yeah. This year was was was really simple as a criteria. We were in good contact with everyone and we were kind of clear on what was going to happen, obviously, apart from you know, which wild cards they choose, But yeah, in previous years it's last year, it was quite last minute. I didn't know who was going to play Wimbled and where if I was going to play Wimbledon. And this year there's there's a couple more doubles guys in there as well. There's David Stevenson, Josh Paris as well, so that's nice to see that they're playing with singles guys as well. So there's just a lot of Brits obviously in the wild cards.
Speaker 2: And how's preparations going?
Speaker 1: Good? Good? Obviously I've played, Yeah, I played three grash events now played.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm looking to play Boodles this weekend, which is an exhibition event.
Speaker 1: Don't park.
Speaker 3: So that's you know, a couple more practice matches on the grass and then you know, I head to Wimbled and start preparations. But I'm feeling good, my body's all right. I'm looking after that. I'm seeing doing a lot more rehab and physio than I used to be doing just to feel normal.
Speaker 1: That's the old age, I think, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Well you're thirty four, aren't you.
Speaker 1: I'm thirty four, But yeah, I've done.
Speaker 3: Just notice I'm spending a lot of time stretching and getting familiar with physios, which is really important because I noticed if I don't do it, but sort of ten years ago, you see a physio if you're hurting, you still stretch and stuff, but you spend a lot more time sort of working out than recovering. And now it's i'd say fifty to fifty to be honest. So yeah, I'm doing all the right things.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 3: Got to see a pada trest. Apparently I'm flat footed. That's why I walk a bit funny.
Speaker 2: I knew it was something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, one of the reasons.
Speaker 3: But so I'm flat footed, so I've had a problem with my shin because and I can tell when it's hurting. I look at myself walking and I'm yeah, very much on my toes.
Speaker 2: So what's the What does your day look like today? We're a week away from you possibly playing. It could be eight days, it could be seven days. And as we speak on a daily basis, we'll catch up and obviously fill people in on that. And what's your training daylight today?
Speaker 3: Today, I'm just going to do bike. I'm not going to do any hitting obviously. I don't think I've had a day off hitting for quite a while. So I'm going to get on the peloton on the bike, do my stretching routine, and pack my bags later, might pick the kids up from school. I don't know if I've got time, but I'll try and do that. But yeah, it's more of a packing that I've packed this morning, sort of string and shoes and kit, all the boring stuff, and then yeah, I'll get on the bike, do my pliability routine, try and get an early night. I mean, I was up till two last night. I couldn't really sleep, just replaying shots in my head, which isn't very helpful, but there we go, try and get good night's sleep, and then tomorrow is Boodle's day.
Speaker 2: It's great, Well, we're going to catch up tomorrow at Boodles, right, exactly perfect. I can't wait for this. We get to speak every day as well. I know.
Speaker 1: It's lovely, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Normally we just text every day about when are we going to do the podcast again. Yeah, we'll come on to all of that and talk about why there's been like an eighteen month gap and things in time, but yeah, otherwise, let's talk tomorrow and the countdown is on.
Speaker 1: One week to go, mate, fantastic, let's do it.