Speaker 1: Good evening everybody, and welcome to another episode of Fire Up. I hope we're all fired up, because I know I am. How is my different panel tonight doing?
Speaker 2: God?
Speaker 3: Very good?
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, Katy, I gotta be honest with you, man. Yeah, I don't know these dudes.
Speaker 2: I just met him. I'll be honest with you though.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think I think we into something. These friars are hot.
Speaker 4: Let's get fried up on Fire Up at the country club, baby.
Speaker 1: Sounds like planning to me. Let's quick introduce yourself just so you guys can tell everybody who you are, like, who you where you are from, and the college teams like that you follower that you really you know are into. Uh, let's start with you, mister Taylor.
Speaker 5: I am the creator of the Michigan Sports Truth Podcast. It is on YouTube, subscribe to its channel, turn on all notifications, turn on all notifications on the bell icon and stick or tap or online to finance latest full episodes and check out it shorts videos as well. Also in audio form on Spreaker, Spotify, iHeartRadio, Amazon Music, Slash, Audible, Castbox, Deezer Podcast, Attic Podchaser, and gios Sovin. Also on social media on ex Instagram threads and TikTok at Michigan unders Score Truth and like it's Facebook page. Know the truth about the Tigers, Lions, Red Wings, Pistons, Wolverines and Spartans.
Speaker 1: Okay, Michael, tell everybody about you.
Speaker 3: Mike Whitaker work for uh.
Speaker 6: You can see myself under The Detroit Monitor and the South Florida Tribune mostly cover the Red Wings and a little bit of Tigers and Pissons as well. But yeah, most of my background is hockey and I'm glad to be here.
Speaker 1: Sounds good, mister Southern Fried gentlemen, tell these guys, since some of the audience knows you, tell these guys about you a little bit. You're muted though.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was talking to myself, getting myself prepared as I normally do. I hate, I hate hitting the mute button, but sometimes I know if I move around it makes like a scratchy thing. So that's being a nutshell, y'all. I am a perfectionist. I am a game Cock fan, which is far from perfection. I'm also a Panthers fan, far from perfection. A Braves fan.
Speaker 2: Yikes, you say Panthers.
Speaker 1: You probably should expand because there's a couple of different Panthers. Man.
Speaker 4: No, I shouldn't because hockey, y'all know. I don't pay attention no hockey.
Speaker 5: Football fan.
Speaker 1: But there's the Michigan Panthers that are playing in the championship game this this week.
Speaker 2: Hey, and I did pick them.
Speaker 4: I did pick them. I'm pretty sure I picked them. Candy and I picked them the other night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm pretty sure you did. I think I.
Speaker 4: Disagreed with everybody at that point. I was mesmerized. But anyways, Yes, Carolina Panther fan, I don't even know what we're going to talk about this evening, but I'm excited to talk with Taylor and Michael and who knows where this conversation might go.
Speaker 1: I'll be honest, I didn't send any of you the topic. Nobody knows besides me.
Speaker 2: So well, I know one.
Speaker 1: You do know one? You do no one, that's true. So what you want to start up with that one? Sure, let's start.
Speaker 4: Go for it, all right? So actually I can do two stories with this one. Michael and Taylor, gentlemen, it's we So when I say Southern Fried sports, it's literally the way I see sports from my Southern Fried opinion, and there's some stories that are better than others.
Speaker 2: So the Pacers and what.
Speaker 4: They might do could be a great story. But during that game last night, they don't catch the brother and sister story. T J McConnell, Michael, Yeah you got it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not. I guess I'm not familiar with what specific with that angle.
Speaker 4: Right, Okay, So their brother and sister, and she wore his jersey to one of her w NBA games the other night, and TJ returned the favor and wore her w NBA jersey to the finals. But they showed the dad last night, and so during one of my YouTube short he Goton making plays doing crazy things his dad. They're cheering, and then the whole story of the brother and sister. And I've said the Pacers are destined to win the NBA Championship. What do you guys say, Wel or Mike either one. I think Indiana is a team of destiny.
Speaker 3: They may as well be. I think that. I mean I was.
Speaker 6: I did a little bit of content for the Detroit Pistons when they played the Knicks earlier in the playoffs this year, and then obviously the nixt one ended up being knocked out by the Pacers, and so, I mean, I have no problem with with Indiana winning. I mean I probably would have had a problem with it twenty years ago when the when the Pistons and Pacers were pretty big time rivals. But obviously that was then. This is now, and I mean, if they get it done, be good for them.
Speaker 2: Right on? And what about the brothers sister story? Though?
Speaker 4: Do you get into any of your phil's watching sports? You got any relatives or anything?
Speaker 3: I do? But I mean I usually try to.
Speaker 6: I mean, like I said, most of my most of most of my background is hockey related. But you know, there's nothing wrong with a good, feel good, you know, family story. And obviously the family roots run pretty deep for most of these athletes who you know, have strong family backgrounds of people who help.
Speaker 3: Them to be where they are now.
Speaker 6: And so yeah, it's always always great to see when whenever athletes are being uh you know, kind of supported by their family members, especially when they're alive in the audience.
Speaker 4: There right on, no argument here, Taylor, what do you think about the Pacers and TJ McConnell, H.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, the only thing I care about is the Pacers and done. Are duking it out. Game three was a tight, epic battle. You know, the Pacers of course came out on top. They pulled away by nine one sixteen to one oh seven. It's it's anybody's any NBA Finals series. You know, you just never know who's going to come out on top the last team standing. Yeah, good for TJ.
Speaker 4: McConnell though, right right on and yeah, and then the other thing is Caitlyn Clark. She is eight and oh when she goes to the Indiana Pacers games in the playoffs. I wish I had that kind of effect on a team as a fan. If that were the case, I would go to every game, Caught game, every Panther game, Carolina Panther game. I would go to every game I could possibly go if I were undefeated as a fan, What do you guys think, can you be Do you have any impact whether you're at the stadium or not as a fan.
Speaker 6: Well, I think I think we all know that hockey players are extremely superstitious, and I would do you know going to Red Wings games back in the day, would take the exact same route and hit the same you know vendors and all that. When whenever the Red Wings were on a winning streak, and obviously I didn't want to, you know, disrupt the mojo or anything like that because obviously I was single handedly responsible for their success and so at least that's I would fault at the time. But yeah, sometimes, you know, fans kind of feel like, you know, their own rituals can help their teams win. And I mean, of course that you know that doesn't happen, but it's still kind of a cool thing to And the Oilers have tied the game, Oh my goodness.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, that's crazy.
Speaker 6: But yeah, they kind of goes back to, Yeah, like hockey players are extremely superstitious.
Speaker 3: And they'll they'll ride with something until it stopped working, I guess.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Would say the one thing that I've noticed between the NBA and the NHL is that, uh, the series have been a lot closer lately. And let's face it, Game one of the the Pacers series with Oka see okay see led the whole game until the last shot. So last shot in the n win takes it, makes it and wins the game. Like so it it bodes well for the people that always say you only have to watch the last quarter of some of these games, you know, last watch last five minutes and you'll see you know. But I think that brother sister supporting each other is cool. You know, we've seen it before. I really like it. You've seen it, You've seen husband and wife do it. I think brother and sister is cool too, though, and did I would if you watched Sports Rap, which which is the show before this. Scott and Mike Santos were talking hockey and they were talking about how they really feel for the Oilers this is a must win, Like if they go down three to one after this game, they they're not sure that they could make make up the difference. The Panthers are playing really tight, really with intensity, so I think it'll be interesting.
Speaker 2: I would say that they've been fundamental.
Speaker 4: And yeah, that would be a question that I want to ask these two hockey guys.
Speaker 2: Is it crazy though.
Speaker 4: That Canadian teams we see Edmonton with a chance. It's been a very long time since the Canadian team won the hockey championship. To me, that blows my mind. Like the South is good at football and baseball because we can practice it year round. You can't necessarily do that up north any Canada. It's a strange to go to hockey.
Speaker 6: Yeah, sure, it's It definitely is a strange phenomenon, and I know it's you know, obviously it's a point of interest for Canadian hockey fans everywhere, and that's kind of what they're wondering why I haven't, you know, why hasn't a Canadian based team won the Stanley Cups since nineteen ninety three. But I mean, you know, there are those who would point to the you know, the massive NHL expansion and just the incredible talent that's kind of all throughout the NHL, and you know, back seventies and eighties, I mean, it kind of seemed like a lot of Canadian teams kind of had the monopoly on talent in the NHL. But yeah, it's a lot more spread out now and it's not completely over for the Oilers right now, and so I mean, we'll we'll see what, you know, what they can make out.
Speaker 3: Of this series here.
Speaker 6: It looks like they're getting all kinds of new life right now, unfortunately for the Panthers.
Speaker 4: So who would be your pick, Michel right now for the to win it all, not just this game, but to win win it all.
Speaker 6: I mean, I still think that the Panther Panthers will ultimately get it done. But obviously they've got the championship swagger from having done it last year, and this is their third straight trip to the Stanley Cup finals, so I mean, they know what it takes to not only get there, but to get the job done. And obviously the Oilers are a lot more experienced from their loss last year.
Speaker 3: And I think it do very well.
Speaker 6: I mean, I wouldn't be surprised to see this series go seven, but ultimately I think it will be the Panthers that pull it out again.
Speaker 4: So right on, Taylor, Hey, what do you think can a Canadian team get it done?
Speaker 2: And what do you think about that long streak?
Speaker 4: And my logic as to why it's crazy they've never won, well, well.
Speaker 5: You still have to earn it. It's been a long time coming for any Canadian team team to win the Stanley Cup since the last time I remember the Flames won the Stanley Cup in the nineteen eighties, late nineteen eighties, but that's pretty much all I can remember.
Speaker 1: The one thing JD I will say is that in the nineties, I believe I heard the stat on the radio the other day ninety percent of the NHL players were Canadian born back in the nineties, whereas now it's at forty one point one percent of the players are Canadian born and only twenty nine point one percent are American are US born.
Speaker 2: I'll give you an even crazier stat.
Speaker 3: Hit me.
Speaker 4: I went to high school with about one thousand people. There was one kid who transferred from a private school. He was the son of a doctor, and he used to travel to Greenville once or twice a week to practice for his hockey team.
Speaker 2: So I knew one out of a thousand.
Speaker 4: Kids that played hockey in the state of in my school.
Speaker 2: Multiply that over the state and it's crazy.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. Yeah, Taylor, who do you think is gonna take the series?
Speaker 5: It's gonna go seven games, But like Michael Whitaker said, but I'm gonna go with the Panthers as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, now you both know if it goes seven, the home game goes to the is that we'll be played in Edmonton, So that'll be foe mice for the Oilers. Now, I will say from the games that I've watched, and I've watched all of these, is that these stadiums are getting louder and louder for the home team. But I the one thing I will give respect to Edmonton this year is last year when the Panthers played them, I was really upset because they were booing the national anthem, And this year I have not seen that in the in the games that they started this series with up there.
Speaker 5: I can understand why, but I'm not gonna mention that because this is sports and not politics.
Speaker 1: Right right, But still, I just you know, you if you don't have anything to say, you don't say anything at all. Is kind of how I feel, especially when you're when you're talking about a national anthem. You're not talking about getting into the politics or anything like that. And I get it you want a voice.
Speaker 4: That That would be My one thing about it too, is yeah, we won't go too deep into it. But booing the national anthem, you're not just booing whatever it is you want to boo. You're booing something that a majority of the people who have nothing to do with it.
Speaker 2: Respect and honor correct that.
Speaker 4: I mean, yep, we talked about disagreeing and stuff on the football field the other day, fights all that stuff. I mean, it's it's good for team building, but you gotta be respectful. Everybody can be respectful about it, have a conversation, and everybody's even sports talk, which.
Speaker 2: Is what we're doing.
Speaker 1: Correct.
Speaker 2: It all fits in together.
Speaker 1: So so did we make predictions on the NBA playoffs? Okay see, you're Indiana the final? Indiana or okay see is gonna take the series? And then how many games?
Speaker 3: Well, I kind of gotta go back to what was being said earlier.
Speaker 6: It kind of does feel like I guess Indiana maybe a team of destiny.
Speaker 3: So I'm gonna go ahead and I'll go ahead and say that to Indiana. Maybe takes it in six.
Speaker 1: Okay six.
Speaker 5: Taylor Pacers in seven?
Speaker 1: Okay, Southern Fried.
Speaker 4: I want to pick the Pacers so bad. I'm the one that made the argument about destiny. Okay See just has more depth. It'll go seven, and.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go, okay see, when's it all?
Speaker 1: You know? I've said on other shows that I thought, okay see, but I don't know. Indiana just has this way of like because I honestly thought, okay See would blow them out more and would be you know, wouldn't let them back in, would be more dominant and they're not, so I'm I'm like wavering now, I'm like and Indiana's taking out taking out some good teams too, So I don't know, I might be switching. I might be switching to Indiana these days. With that being said, now, I don't know how, because I haven't talked to you guys. I don't know how strong you guys are in college basketball. But there were some definite rule changes for both women's college basketball and men's college basketball. Did you guys hear about some of them? And what are your thoughts?
Speaker 6: I gotta admit I'm not familiar with any additional rule or recent rule changes, so that's something you'd have to kind of fill me in on on that one.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, anybody else here, I'll fill you in.
Speaker 4: So my take was going to be about specifically the twenty minute half. It hasn't been solidified yet, right, but it does not make sense to me that women play four quarters. NBA Men's and women's play four quarters, and then you've got NCAA men's college basketball. They've played two twenty minute halves. So what do you guys think about that being switched?
Speaker 1: I think it's long overdue. I think it's got to be. It should be the same as the women and as NBA. I don't like the two halves, I like the quarters.
Speaker 4: I mean, it makes no sense. And then what's crazy? I covered firm and basketball this year in ten home games that I went to, I guarantee you there were twenty minutes worth the timeouts left. He had twenty timeouts. They he never used in that first half. Break like that means you're getting too many media timeouts or something like, what's the point in getting timeouts if you don't use them? So some Yeah, just put all the times the same. In my opinion, I mean, it's even weird to me. Hockey plays three periods?
Speaker 2: Yeah why three? Why not four?
Speaker 6: Well, they're twenty minutes teaching, so to keep the game time exactly an hour and during the.
Speaker 2: Well, there you go. That's something I didn't know about.
Speaker 4: I was legitimately asking, thank you, Oh, I don't watch enough hockey. Yeah, please enlighten me about hockey.
Speaker 2: I'm good with it.
Speaker 6: Well, it is three twenty minute periods and then in the regular season, if it's tied after regulation, there's a five minute overtime and then followed by a shootout.
Speaker 3: If nobody scores.
Speaker 6: But in then Stanley Cup playoffs, it just continues playing twenty minute periods until somebody wins.
Speaker 5: Let me add to that, the five minutes overtime period of the regular season is three on three.
Speaker 6: Also, ye takes a lot more wide open, a lot more exciting. But exactly, I wonder, I wonder how many people would like to see maybe four on four come to the playoff overtime.
Speaker 3: Maybe we'd get earlier endings. But I really don't think that's gonna happen anytime soon.
Speaker 2: Candy.
Speaker 4: This is why I love having new people in this show sometimes because listen to what I just thought of. You guys, Hey, listen, y'all get with me here. Yoh, we're just talking about the rules the overtime. So y'all mentioned the hockey three on three. I hate the extra time for soccer. I hate not ever knowing how long the game might actually go into extra time.
Speaker 2: And so what if we blended.
Speaker 4: Soccer and hockey and we turned soccer once they hit extra time? Let's go to that three on three or that four on four and finish the games like that? How about that for a sports idea?
Speaker 2: Tonight?
Speaker 1: There we go, I could see it because I agree with you. Like if you're at a soccer match and you're like, well, how much more time is there going to be? Like I have no clue if it's a minute or if it's three minutes and ten seconds, and it's like, m hm.
Speaker 4: Right, Mike, what Taylor? Please y'all tell me, am I right? Could we blend soccer? Eventually it comes down to penalty kicks? But yeah, the extra time there needs to be a set time at least.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, yeah, I don't mind that, but if it's still but if it's still tied after that, then then we go straight to penalty kicks just for backup purposes.
Speaker 1: And I'm gonna because I have to acknowledge the people in the chat Gamecock, Chuck did the pack, did the pass the rule for the coaches challenge. So this is where it differs, and this is why I don't understand why there's some differences between men and women's. But on the men's side, men's coaches will be able to challenge out of bonds, calls, basket interference or goaltending, and whether a secondary defender was in the restricted area. Coaches will get at least one challenge per game and must have a timeout to use one. A successful challenge means means a coach gets another one. If the challenge is unsuccessful, the coach may not challenge another call. On the women's side, coaches will be able to challenge out of bound calls, backcourt violations, whether the correct player was called for a fouwel, and whether a change in possession occurred before the ruling of a foul that leads to free throws. Women's coaches won't need a timeout to challenge a call, but an unsuccessful challenge would lead to a technical foul for the excessive time out.
Speaker 2: That's the first. Yeah, that's harsh.
Speaker 1: That's what I thought. And I'm like, wow, that's very different like between the men and women's And I'm like why.
Speaker 2: Like, well into that go ahead, Taylor.
Speaker 4: Do you have any thoughts on the NCAA and all this stuff we're talking about here?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, about the rules, right, yeah, yeah, don't quarters or four quarters? Yeah, well I don't. I don't mind that for men's basketball because because they cause they because it's still like the same like type of time out as college basketball currently in twenty minute halves. You know, you still get breaks in between, uh, breaks in timeouts and end of quarters and this and that. It's just the same thing, right, even if they tried it out, it's still the same thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then we've got the challenge and stuff.
Speaker 4: And then yeah, hey, Ken, yet we got I know you showed gang cut chuck mm hmm.
Speaker 2: But of course I got a shout out. He did its Brian Cain Queen City Spurs. He said there's only one Panther's a long time ago. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Oh my good loyal listeners, South Florida's loyal listeners.
Speaker 2: Yes, we got two new faces. Man, Hey Taylor, what do you want to talk about? Bro? What you got?
Speaker 5: I actually don't have anything to be honest.
Speaker 1: Oh, come on and talk about your Tigers. Come on, you were just.
Speaker 5: Talking about Oh yeah, yeah, Tigers are forty five and twenty five Trek scoogl and being him. Uh they sent down bow Risky. Oh my god, he got rocked last night in a ten to one loss in relief, but the Tigers. Tigers bounce back with a wind four to one that they are mega buyers at the trade deadline. The best record and highest wedding percent in all Major League baseball. They have to stock up on more relievers, they have to get a third basement, they have to get a clean up guy, and of course they had have to get a quality start to replace Jackson Job who is now out for the rest of the season after undergoing Tommy John surgery. So Michael will start with you.
Speaker 6: I mean, I'm really really not sure what direction they are going to go in. I mean, I know that Scott Harris recently spoke on the local courts pation here didn't really show his hand, but I mean most general managers wouldn't. I'm kind of more and more getting the feeling like they are going to acquire talent in the deadline, but it won't be anything monumental. I'd love to be proven wrong, and I'd also like, I would also love to see an extension for Trek Scoogle here before long.
Speaker 3: That that also remains to be seen.
Speaker 6: And you know, we've seen numbers throwing out something like four hundred million dollars something like that, which would obviously I think that would be the biggest contract in team history. For now, I'm just kind of enjoying the ride. I mean, I thought the Tigers would be decent this year. I didn't expect them to be this good, and I guess we'll see where it takes us. But I think that there will be an addition at the deadline. I'm just not holding my breath for anything major.
Speaker 5: All right, JD your shot.
Speaker 4: On Detroit Tigers. Yes, love everything about them. We talked about it before we came on. I because of Mark Ryan leaving us here in the Upstate, I get all of the Detroit content from me following him on X, which if any of you listening are not following any.
Speaker 2: Of us on X, please do so.
Speaker 4: Michael Whittackle, Whittakle Whittaker, he will share his X in a bit. Taylor, I'm pretty sure you can find his fine mine you got Candy's.
Speaker 2: But because of that, I love the Detroit Tigers. I do.
Speaker 4: I love small market teams having a very low payroll and being successful.
Speaker 2: I got plenty of listeners.
Speaker 4: They say that baseball is a funny game, not haha, funny like weird, funny, like finicky funny. You never know what you're gonna get from baseball. You got a team in Murray State who just went to the College World Series. Their stadium holds eight hundred people. Their coach cuts the grass, their players put.
Speaker 2: The tart on the field.
Speaker 4: I feel like that's exactly what the Detroit Tigers do. It's what the Atlanta Braves have gotten away from. And so I'm all in on Detroit Sports Lions. Been a fan ever since Dan Campbell said he was going up there to southern fry people's kneecaps. He literally said, I'm coming up here. I don't care, I'll hit you all in the mouth. We're gonna win football games. And that's all he's done. And I love it me down here in South Carolina love it.
Speaker 2: Detroit Tigers. They'll be in the ALCS, I do believe.
Speaker 5: Don't forget the Pistons their turnaround from fourteen fourteen wins to get reaching the sixth seed.
Speaker 4: Sheeees o, peach, I'm telling you, I get all of these, all of these tweets I get from Mark Ryan and here, Hey Mark or Michael. I'm sorry, Michael, while look this up. Give everybody your ex handle so they can go follow you on X.
Speaker 2: Do you have one?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 6: X handle is at m Whittaker, which is w H I T A K E R. And then underscore eighty nine can always find my content down there because I'll usually post it there. And I am still relatively new on X had an account for a long time, just never really used it, but I've kind of slowly but surely been building up my following and now up to over one hundred followers, which I realized still is really not all that much, but it's better than the twenty or thirty or whatever I had a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 4: So hey, right on, listen, hell I am, I'll definitely go follow you.
Speaker 2: Right So, I had this post pulled up.
Speaker 4: And completely forgot to take note of that as I was doing that.
Speaker 2: But yes, everybody will go follow you. Pe digits.
Speaker 4: He says, I'll fry up any or he says I'm frying up preaching right now. I said, I'll fry anything. But to the point of these Detroit teams, Taylor, I've got the tweet pulled up Mark Ryan seven hours ago. The best sports season in the modern era of Detroit came in two thousand and eight. The Wings won the Cup and the Pistons made the conference finals. Neither the Lions nor the Tigers made the playoffs. Overall, I think twenty twenty five has a shot to match or surpass two thousand and eight, and he says, what say you, Mark Ryan On x so Taylor in response, I love Detroit sports. What say you about this being the best year since two thousand and eight?
Speaker 5: Well, you got three teams making making a playoff making the playoffs, the Lions, Pistons, and Tigers. Unlike today's Red Wings, which does surpass two thousand and eight. We're only two Detroit teams made to the playoffs, the Red Wings and Pistons. The way, of course, the Red Wings won the Cup, but still you got three inch two. You do the math, I would say, I would say twenty twenty five has already surpassed.
Speaker 1: I heard an interesting stat that said if Dan Campbell, I believe it is, if he wins twenty eight more games, he becomes the winningest co in Lyon's history. And I thought that was interesting. I'm like, twenty eight only.
Speaker 2: That went in Detroit.
Speaker 4: That's fast mm hmm, faster than you can fry chicken tender sports exactly.
Speaker 1: The one thing I will say when we were talking about small market teams, I'm gonna, you know, do a little boasting here, of course, because I have to my Wisconsin, My Milwaukee Brewers. Not that they're having a really good season. They're doing okay, They're playing in you know, a conference, they have the Cubs ahead of them and stuff like that. But how cool is it? Milwaukee Brewers right hander Jacob Mazarowski. Yes, he was removed tonight from his major league debut after throwing five no hit innings against the Saint Louis Cardinals at American Family Field. He is the Brewers number one prospect. He began the sixth inning by throwing three balls to Victor Scott the second. He then appeared to roll his ankle a little while stepping off the mountain and departed mid bat. So, but how how would you feel making your major league debut as a pitcher and throwing five innings of no hit ball? That's pretty cool?
Speaker 2: How would you guys feel?
Speaker 6: I mean, I'd I'd probably be a little disappointed that the night ended early, but you know, also kind of recognized that that was.
Speaker 3: Just my first game. And you know, if I was, you know, peak.
Speaker 6: Justin Verlander or something like that, going for a no hitter and then get pulled, then I might have something to say about it, but probably just recognize that he'll have he'll have plenty more opportunities to try to to complete a his first no hit game, but obviously a very strong and in very encouraging start to his.
Speaker 2: Career there, absolutely well said.
Speaker 1: I will also say he finished his night allowed no runs or hits, with five strikeouts, four walks over five plus innings on eighty one pitches. Forty nine of them were strikes. Fourteen of his pitchers were Fourteen of his pitches were clocked at one hundred miles or more one hundred miles per.
Speaker 4: Hour or more.
Speaker 5: Not keep them in longer because he has been he was on fire. I thought I thought he should have thought I thought he should have gone the distance.
Speaker 1: Well, but they're saying he rolled his ankle a little, and you know, you don't want to mess with something like that, especially if you're just.
Speaker 4: Making your major league debut right right, Well, Candy and Taylor, Candy, I swear you'd be setting this up sometimes, Brah, swear you do, because literally, that was something I want to talk about, was complete games.
Speaker 2: And here we are. M H, I get it.
Speaker 4: He had four walks, rolled his ankle. Yeah, in that situation, I'm pulling him However, the whole pitch count and taking the pitchers out too early in the MLB has gotten out of control. Spencer's Swellingboch pitched a no hit game against your Brewers yesterday or today, whatever day it was. Yesterday, yep, yeah, pitched a complete game, first one since two thousand and four or twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 4: We got schemes giving up eighteen runs like literally all year and losing for the Steelers.
Speaker 2: But he's not pitching complete games like y'all. I get it.
Speaker 4: I pitched, Okay, my elbow used to hurt, but if I'm in the game, there's you're not coming to get me out of it, unless it's unless they're just tattooing me, which that did happen before as well. But the whole complete game stuff has gotten way out of control.
Speaker 3: I mean it.
Speaker 6: I guess it really depends on how the manager feels that his picture is doing. But I mean I would like to see more.
Speaker 3: I mean me personally.
Speaker 6: I guess I have a bias, but I think if a picture's an improve I think that in most situations, he deserves a chance to finish this out, especially if he's you know, held in the opposition of no hits or maybe even one hit. But you know, ultimately, at the end of the day, that's what they have a manager for to make those decisions.
Speaker 4: So but hey, listen, I'm a Braves fan and we've got Brian Snicker missing that his picture was even injured. Uh whatever, Oh it's not swelling back but starts with an S. I'll have to look it up.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 4: They didn't even recognize though, that he tore his time like his elbow ligaments.
Speaker 1: I read that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I don't, man, I hear you about trusting the coaches to make that decision, but the picture knows usually if they're good to go or not right, they'll tell you, like, if I'm in a complete game, shut out, you better take your butt back to the dugout if my arm's hurt, and I'll let you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, only if if you roll it ankle, then you then you have to get pulled.
Speaker 2: Right. Oh yeah, exactly, exactly.
Speaker 1: No, I agree, there's not enough complete games. We don't let the pitchers do their job. I mean, let's face it, we've got too many middlemen now these days. And oh he can only pitch one inning and he can only pitch two innings. And and I know that one of the Brewers pitchers recently was demoted from starting rotation to the bullpen, and now he's requested he's requesting a trade. He doesn't want to be with the Brewers anymore because he feels he was demoted. And it's like, well, you need each position, like and I don't understand why we have to pull somebody if they're hot and they're on a streak and they're they're rolling and they're eighth inning or it's the ninth just because you have a closer. If your starting pitcher is still in there and he's still doing good, leave him in there. If he starts to show signs or if he signifies that you know it's time switch it up. But yeah, leave the leave the hot picture in as long as they're hot. A J.
Speaker 2: Smith Shover what was his name? The Braves pitcher that tore is.
Speaker 4: Elbow ligament in the had to be alerted by Spencer Strider.
Speaker 2: M Yeah, in that while you had to be told by one of.
Speaker 4: Your other players that your pitcher is hurt. I swear Brian Snicker is not watching the game. I don't know what he's doing.
Speaker 2: But I swear.
Speaker 4: I really don't think he's watching the game. I coached five year old baseball this year, my son played. I promise you I'll watch more baseball than Brian Snicker this year.
Speaker 2: He's oblivious.
Speaker 3: Not a good look for him if you can't recognize his pitcher's hurt.
Speaker 4: And then well, they had the whole thing with how he benched at Kunya a few years ago. But then another player did the exact same thing, and he said he didn't see the play until the next morning. You didn't see your player hit a double?
Speaker 2: What like?
Speaker 4: Come on, Brian Snicker, you can tell me a lot of crap. You can't tell me that though I'm goible, but I ain't that goible.
Speaker 1: Nope, I understand. Okay, I know I have two guys that are Lions fans. So we're gonna we're gonna change it back. The title of the show tonight was overpaid players in the NFC. So there was a recent article that came out and I kind of wanted to discuss a couple of the different teams. Uh, it's on the score if any of you go to the score or read up on the score or anything like that. So my question to you, guys, do you know who do they say is the overpaid Detroit Lions and who is the most underpaid on the team for the Lions? My Lions guys.
Speaker 6: I mean, yeah, I get you know, there's there's always going to be people who say that Jared Goff is being paid too much, but I mean he's I mean, he's delivered the most success of any lines quarterback in quite quite a long time. So I mean it's it's really not for what you will do, it's what you have done. And so I mean he's earned that contract, and I know that there's gonna be a lot of speculation as to what kind of contract that Aiden Hodginson could land.
Speaker 3: And then.
Speaker 6: I mean, right now, I'd say that Brad Holmes is probably the most trusted GM in the city right now out of the.
Speaker 3: Four professional teams.
Speaker 6: And I think that, I mean, so far, I think so far, I really don't have any major issue with what he's done. And so far, I'm gonna, I guess I'm gonna kind of defer to everybody else with their view of how the lines are being run right now. But I mean, if I had to say, if anybody thinks that somebody on the lines is overpaid. I mean, if Jared Goff can't repeat what he's done in the last two seasons, then he'll he'll certainly be right at the top of that list on a lot of fans, I think.
Speaker 5: Taylor oh Man, Yeah, I would say there's nobody on the lines that's overpaid. They're they're doing their they're all doing their job underpaid. That's a tough one, oh Man, I would h that's a tough one. Just I think they're all getting their fair share, to be honest. Sure they sure they're all human, they make mistakes, but they've they've done They've done a lot for this franchise, and they just have to work on ball security as a team. As an offensive unit. They're getting defensive players back, of course, Marcus Davenport, Aiden Hutchinson, al Kadine Muhammad. They're not going to get Alea McNeil or Malcolm Rodriguez back until like the beginning of November or something like that. But I think I think the lines are gonna be fine.
Speaker 1: Kah Jad, do you have any thoughts of who you think most overpaid Lion?
Speaker 4: Well, it necessarily it wouldn't be what I think what I was going to say, and it kind of ties into what Michael and Taylor both just said.
Speaker 2: A lot of.
Speaker 4: Fans would probably classify Jery Goff as being the most overpaid. I mean, regardless of a lot of people would consider all of their quarterbacks overpaid unless they're on a rookie contract.
Speaker 2: Honestly, that's where we are with quarterback contracts.
Speaker 4: So I mean, both of them, it's not what I would say, but I would say Jared Golf actually just pulled up the salary though.
Speaker 2: For the whole team. I didn't know I could do this.
Speaker 4: M hmmm, salaryesport dot com. So we've got Jerry Goff as the highest twenty million, nine hundred and seventy five thousand dollars, no signing bonus. Let's go to the bottom though, which was the question. Taylor said he didn't know, So who was going to be the most underpaid? And I'm going literal like lease paid John Parker Romo seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars. That's probably all of your rookies. You got Jamiir Gibs down here though, with the zero next to his name, so there's some kind of issue. But let's see underpaid. Let's under good contract. Who's underpaid? I'm gonna go to the first name I know that I can find. David Montgomery one point two five million dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he might be underpaid.
Speaker 4: Uh. Jamison Williams, he's still a rookie, but he's listed way up here, seven hundred and sixty five thousand dollars.
Speaker 5: He's he's looking for a contract extension.
Speaker 4: By the way, So with some of these names in mind, does anything pop into y'all's head about underpaid? Aiden Hutchinson also up there? How about pennay sewol.
Speaker 2: Sewell nine and forty thousand?
Speaker 4: Is he underpaid? Y'all tell me yes? Come on, Detroit guys, y'all tell me yes.
Speaker 5: That's easy. Nine hundred and forty thousand. You just mentioned it.
Speaker 1: So let me go to the article. The article talks about most overpaid. They thank his Jared Goff. He signed a four year, two hundred and twelve million dollar deal in twenty twenty four, so he's averaging fifty three million. It's okay to overpay an established starting quarterback, but Gough didn't live up to his massive contract in the playoffs last season. There's a lot of pressure on the veteran passer to deliver when it matters most, and he failed to do so in the first season after signing his extension. What they said was the most underpaid was Brian Branch. Many expected Branch to go in the first round two years ago, but he fell to the Lions at number forty five. Detroit has since gotten great production from a pro bowler under a rookie contract. He forms one of football's best safety duos with Kirby Dosas. He has a four year rookie deal worth eight million dollars. So that's who they said for the Lions.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think we were on some of them.
Speaker 1: We were so Michael Taylor, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I have to agree because all those underpaid players on the Alliance team that that you guys mentioned should should get at least over over one million, like well over the well over that hup so well over that Mark.
Speaker 4: I hate the whole rookie contracting. They can make more in college than they can in the NFL. I mean, are they trying to get him to say in college though for no reason because they're not student athletes anymore.
Speaker 2: Don't yeah, don't even get me down that whole rabbit hole.
Speaker 1: So, mister Southern Fried, let's go to your team. Yeah, somebody said that overpaid and who is the most underpaid?
Speaker 4: I mean again, it's easy. I was literally I saw P Digits comment.
Speaker 2: I see you, P Digits, I see you easily.
Speaker 1: J C.
Speaker 4: Horn is the most overpaid. I mean he's been injured for his whole rookie contract. They signed him to an extension. Anyway, we can look down though.
Speaker 2: We got Robert Hunt a guard one hundred million dollars five years.
Speaker 4: That seems like we overpaid Derek Brown four years, ninety six million.
Speaker 2: Big thumbs up there. He is rightfully paid. Let's see if I can find some of the least. Oh my goodness, we pay our kicker two million a year. Get out of here. Stop it, Pat McPhee, I hope you're listening. Goy.
Speaker 1: So you said you your most overpaid was J C. Horn. Yeah, that is correct, he was. He's the he's your most talented defensive back, but that doesn't justify making him the NFL's second highest paid corner. He was a twenty twenty one first round pick that has never played a full season and only registered and he registered only one interception in the past two years while allowing seven touchdowns. So yes, he is considered the most overpaid.
Speaker 4: Best ability is availability.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, right, Mike. Could you agree with that, Michael.
Speaker 3: I would have to say so nothing.
Speaker 6: I mean, that's one of the most important things and it's I mean extremely underrated that once. If you're actually available, then I mean, that's how you make the contributions to your team here.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 4: Half the battle is showing up. Yeah, exactly, m hm wow, I will Okay. So my most crazily underpaid mm hmm. And this one might stick out, Hunter Renfro. They have him on a one year, one point two million dollar deal, and I think I talked to his brother recently, Cole Renfrow.
Speaker 2: You can look it up. I've got Cole's number.
Speaker 4: In my phone, and he said his brother was never out of NFL shape.
Speaker 2: He was ready to come back the entire time.
Speaker 4: Hunter Renfro will make the Panthers roster and he will be at least a seven hundred yard receiver for the Panthers this year. Book it stamp it Sethern Fried Sports serve it up.
Speaker 1: So the article says the most underpaid for the Panthers is Michael Jackson. After playing on a one year, one point track, Jackson earned a two years What wasn't.
Speaker 2: Michael Jackson got to do with anything? Canty?
Speaker 4: Sorry to interrupt, but what what Michael Jackson?
Speaker 2: He's saying? Thriller? Well, I don't know nothing about Michael Jackson.
Speaker 1: Still, he's making almost three million less than over the cap valuation. The twenty eight year old led all Panthers cornerbacks in past breakups and interceptions last season.
Speaker 4: All right, they've got my guy, vam Martin Scott, a rookie that might not even make the roster. He's listed at three years, two hundred two point nine eight million dollars. And they were just somebody was just telling me he might not even make the roster. What it like, Jimmy Horn Jr. He might not make the roster.
Speaker 2: Four years, four point three nine to five million dollars. What is happening?
Speaker 1: And any thoughts on who you guys think they're saying is the most overpaid for the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Dak Prescott.
Speaker 1: Bingo.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's who would have been my first choice.
Speaker 5: Yep, mine to might get that mine. Three.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Taylor, you missed a few minutes there have you heard anything about the Panthers. Me, I'm a Panthers fan. We talked about the Panthers a little bit. Carolina Panthers. How you feeling about Price Young?
Speaker 5: Well, he's still he's still young. He's got a long ways to go, period. That's it.
Speaker 2: Fair enough talking about Michael Jackson.
Speaker 4: That's why the pat the Panthers research the wrong Michael Jackson peted obviously.
Speaker 1: Oh you're so funny.
Speaker 4: Oh he wears white gloves soul.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Okay, gentlemen, there is a spot in the show and this is where for you, for the two that are from Detroit. That's gonna get a little tricky because we have a segment on here that's called my Town, and that's where you talk about what's happening or what you want to talk about something that's happening, either the town you grew up in or the town you live in now or both. I don't care, it doesn't matter to me. But so if you you might want to steer one towards one thing and one so you're not talking about the same exact thing. But jad why don't you start so you can kind of show tell them, like so they can get an idea of what we talk about on this segment.
Speaker 4: Oh, good gravy, Southern fried gravy.
Speaker 2: That's what we talk about. Random things. I'll say random things. I love lamp. No, we'll talk about stuff. Candy. I didn't really have one.
Speaker 4: But as you guys know, I'm a really big college baseball fan. Love college baseball, been super tuned into it. The College World Series starts tomorrow. Coastal Carolina has won twenty three games in a row. Can they carry this win streak all the way through to a national championship. It's possible, but we won't know until tomorrow. And so going on in my town is the whole state of South Carolina is united behind the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers, which, if you didn't know what that is, it's also a fighting chicken. Because Coastal Carolina split off from USC they were also the game Cocks, so they came up with another fighting chicken.
Speaker 2: So go Coastal Carolina, Go Chanticleers. And I'm looking forward to this US Open.
Speaker 1: And can I tie a bowl in your College World Series?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, first time since nineteen fifty seven that all the teams that are in this year's Finals were not in last year's finals.
Speaker 4: Hey, and we stand on business here in South Carolina. The last team that won back to back is my University of South Carolina game cops. All right, So, like you just said, the teams that were there last.
Speaker 2: Year aren't here this year. So obviously no back to back champion again. Right. Absolutely, the College World Series, y'all. If you want to watch good baseball here, I mean it, I mean it.
Speaker 4: There will be some of the most ridiculous plays you've ever seen happen during these College World Series.
Speaker 2: Little League World Series.
Speaker 4: Is almost just as good in my opinion. And then the other thing going on in my town is the US Open. I was watching the US Open today. If you're not watching the way they have to these balls, pay attention because they're not even lined up anywhere near the hole.
Speaker 2: They're literally all over the place.
Speaker 4: So good luck to all the golfers at the US Open this week. That's it, Taylor and Michael can't wait hear.
Speaker 2: What you got to say.
Speaker 5: Well, I'll start off. I'm gonna go out a limb and go with the Red Wings. Dylan Larkin in his post git postseason press conference, said that the team didn't gain any momentum at the trade deadline. They got Peter Mrazag and Craig Smith. They can't. I can't remember who they traded away. I think I'm guessing I'm trying to remember Joe Villento. But yep, yep, that's what I thought. But Dylan Larkin is such a whiny little boy that he complains too much. He argues it with the officials too many times. He throws fits on the ice. He's a good player. But Todd McClellan is a is a good and critical head coach. It's about time the Red Wings finally have a critical head coach. Todd McClellan is way better than Derek Lelloane, hands down. Derek Lloane goes to Toronto and with the Maple Leaves as an assistant coach, took to try to reload the ropes of what it means to be a hit to be an aggressive head coach. But like Craig Beruby, for example, But Todd McClellan is something the Red Wings needed, and he criticized the team for the lack of toughness during their March April slunt that really just just tornado. The Red Wings way out of the playoff. The Stanley Cup playoff picture, and Tom McClellan is right, of course, the Red Wings have to have to play a lot tougher. They have to be more more aggressive on offense rather than on defense. They can't just keep you know, they can't just keep settling for just just minimal amounts of shots on goal per game and rather just get out shot like most of the like most of their games, that is not even nearly good enough. Todd McClelland knows that this team needs to be better than it was with Derek Lamon as head coach. The minor league head coaching crap is done. It's time to beef up in the NHL. Be a freaking man, for god's sake, play effing hockey.
Speaker 6: Well, speaking of Red Wings, we just got the go ahead Oiler's goal from Jake Wallman or unanswered goals from the Oilers. That's Florida. That's not a good look for you at all.
Speaker 5: Wow, but gritty, I did.
Speaker 3: I was kind of expecting.
Speaker 2: That somebody just said, be a man. You're that's pretty be a man. No, I know, I know who's That's fantastic. I love it. Somebody just got fried.
Speaker 5: Of course, yes, I fry the red wings. I deep fray the red wings for you, JD.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Man, Hey, give me some buffalo and some blue cheese, my friend.
Speaker 5: How about chipotle? Huh?
Speaker 2: Hey? The only thing I don't like eating is crow.
Speaker 4: I'll fry up anything else, but I will occasionally fry up my crow.
Speaker 2: Oh my, well, well, just when I'm wrong is what I meant.
Speaker 5: Taylor Gottley, Right, but anyway, it's anybody. Stanley Cup final this year.
Speaker 2: Edmonton leading four to three.
Speaker 5: Yep, I saw that. Yeah, thank you for the update, Michael, Michaelangelo. What kind of oil? Taip? How about olive oil? Gordon Ramsey uses that for cooking with his hexclad pans nowadays, but he always uses olive oil for cooking.
Speaker 4: I say, Candy, you better speak up or I'm about to take us down a rabbit hole.
Speaker 2: So you there, go ahead.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, well, we've kind of talked about my Brewers, we talked about we talked about Packers. They released cornerback Jay y or Alexander, And obviously I live where that's where I grew up. Where I live now. The Panthers are playing and they're playing. We were talking about this before the before the show that they I literally live within fourteen miles of the stadium where they're playing. So but hey, there's a reason why we play the game. Whether you think, whether you think you know who's gonna win, or whether you're rooting for one, you never know. That's why they play the game. Indeed, with that being said, we're going to go around the room and you're gonna let everybody know how people can get a hold of you. We'll start out with.
Speaker 6: Mike email, m w H I t A K two at emish dot e du and then once again, my Twitter handle is m Whittaker Underscore eighty nine.
Speaker 3: Appreciate the follows and we'll talk to you guys the next time.
Speaker 5: Tailor again. I am the creator of the Michigan Sports Truth podcast. I can tech truth about the Tigers, Lions, Red Wings, Pistons, Wolverines and Spartans. Subscribe to its YouTube channel at the Michigan Sports Truth Podcast. Also listen to it in audio form on Sprinker, Spotify, Iroheart Radio, Amazon Music, Slash, Audible, cast Box, Deezer Podcast, Attic Podchaser and Jiosamon also follow it on social media on X, Instagram, threads and TikTok at Michigan underscore truth and like a space for page and know the truth hit him with it's a former, It's a it's the new Detroit sports rad.
Speaker 1: Mister Southern.
Speaker 2: And first of all, shout out to Michael. I just looked you up.
Speaker 4: Apparently we already follow each other, so we're good to go there. I'm sorry I said I.
Speaker 3: Didn't know you.
Speaker 2: That's my bat, No problem.
Speaker 4: Do I do know you now, Taylor and Michael. It has been an absolute pleasure. Y'all can find me at Southern Fried Sports JD on YouTube at j D Wyatt zero six on X. I'm also intertwined with Sideline Sports.
Speaker 2: The network.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it's the same Sideline Sports as samear sorry, but yeah, I cover some etsu stuff. Listen, I cover all the sports. I want all of the opinions, and I love all of the interaction, especially with Taylor, Michael Candy. Don't forget South Florida Tribune and your Southern fride gentlemen of Southern Fried Sports.
Speaker 1: So Self Florida Tribune Publishing Company published a book. It was written by my husband, Lessons from the microphone tuning into the enduring wisdom of visionary leaders. Talks about his forty plus years in the media business and how it has evolved and changed, old school media versus new school media. Get your copy today. It's available on Amazon, Burns and Noble, Kindle, Google and Apple Books. There's a link on our website www dot self Florida Tribune dot com where there is a plethora of great content, so go check it out. If you like to listen to podcasts, you can find us wherever you get your podcast. If you see the red subscribe button at lower right hand corn, that means you have not subscribed yet to our channel, please do so. I also ask you to subscribe to everybody that has a YouTube channel on any of our panels, on any of our shows. They are giving us their time. I'm asking you to help them out as well. Subscribe follow them. It's at Tribune South for those of you on Twitter X for us. If you want to advertise or sponsor a show, you can call Scott at nine five four three four four nine four one. And if you want to be a guest on a show or have topic ideas, you can always email us at South Florida Tribune at gmail dot com. I first want to thank my excellent panelists tonight. Yes, we are missing Samir. He has family in town and so he had a family obligation, but he will be back. I also want to thank all of the people in the chat room. We love having all of you there. The only one thing I will say about the chat room is is that we need to make sure that we are keeping it on topic, and most everybody did. Every once in a while, there's someone that gets out of hand, and I will say that. We did ban our first guests on a different show tonight, so we are not afraid to do that. But we need to keep the chat about what we're talking about.
Speaker 2: Hey, listen, you know I've already cooked up people. Sorry to interrupt you, but no, I fried them up. During the last episode. I was over there monitoring the chat room.
Speaker 1: Listen, I saw that we.
Speaker 2: Want it, we want it, but nobody in here was not beted. No, all of y'all were.
Speaker 4: Good, But just a general warning, correct, you will mess around and get burnt.
Speaker 1: Okay, we love you guys bringing up topics that we're talking about or your opinions about the topics we're talking about or asking us questions sports related. But please just be respectful, is all I'm going to ask, because that's when it when it goes to not being respectful, that's when we have to take matters into our own hands. So with that being said, I want to thank everybody for tuning in tonight. I will I will say this. I'm not exactly sure if we're going to have a fire up next week. I leave for a European cruise the day after that, but we were probably and we are gonna still have programming on I think JD. I don't know if it's Steven contacted you or not, but he's talking about running it with you or so that the two weeks that were gone.
Speaker 4: So yeah, yeah, we'll talk about it. And as you know, they are in capable hands. I hope you trust me, of course.
Speaker 2: But yeah, well, if nothing else, we will be live one way or another with with Steve and I.
Speaker 4: I think we'll be live from South Florida, but I'll try to push out content regardless.
Speaker 2: But yeah, Candy, you and I we'll talk about that after the show.
Speaker 1: I was ye and Kane, Yes, you can still be funny as long as it's respectful. That's all I'm gonna say.
Speaker 4: They had a hilarious They all went back and forth earlier on it. I know Taylor and Michael. If you guys aren't, check out some of the South Florida Tribune where some of these guys commented, Man, they had a hilarious back and forth today.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, they've been good. They've been good. So with that being said, we're gonna sign off for tonight. We'll probably see you next week. I would see tune in. You just never know who on the panel is going to be here, but this is gonna be the regular crew going forward with Samir as well. With that being said, enjoy the rest of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, Enjoy the NBA Playoffs, Enjoy the College World Series, Enjoy the US Open. There's a lot going on. Tune in and enjoy.
Speaker 2: Thanks everybody, Bang bang it'll line yeah,