Speaker 1: Hello everyone, and welcome to Seafood Matters, and thank you for joining us again today. I'm delighted to welcome Linda Fitzpatrick, curator of the Scottish Fisheries Museum in Anstruther. The Museum is one of the great guardians of Scotland's fishing heritage, preserving the boats, the gear, took, photographs, and above all else the stories of the men and women who built our coastal communities. Linda joins me to explore what that heritage can teach us about the past, the present and the future of Scottish fishing. Hello Linda, and welcome to Seafood Matters.
Speaker 2: Hi Jim, it's great to be here, Thank.
Speaker 1: You, thank you. I've really looked forward to this conversation. I've got huge it's beg for what you do down there, and can you please explain to our listeners just pick off the importance of the Scottish Fisheries Museum and what makes it unique and such a special place.
Speaker 2: Well, that's quite a big question to start off with, and it's quite a big museum. If you've visited, you'll know that it's grown from a very small start, founded by members of the fishing community themselves back in nineteen sixties, and it started off just as a wee museum and it's grown and grown and grown because the story of the fishing industry in Scotland is such a big and complicated story. If you're talking about all the different roles that the fishing members of the fishing community had catching the fish obviously, and then all the work that was done on shore to process the cat, to prepare the gear, to sell it on to market it take it all around the world, and then all the equipment and the tools that people had, and the communities that grew up around that and around the coasts. It's a really big story to tell. And I think Scotland without I mean, it's inconceivable to think of Scotland without a fishing industry. So it's a really important story that people needed to capture when they captured it because it was changing really fast in the nineteen sixties, and need to keep capturing it and keep telling it because as we all know, the numbers of people who are employed in the fishing industry now has declined, but it's still an important industry within Scotland and it's still we still got that really long coastline and all of those communities that owe so much of their heritage and their culture to fishing. We need to keep telling that story. And I think the museum is a unique place. It's in a unique set of buildings, it's right by the harbor, it's grown, as I say, over the years, so it's it's kind of got that kind of hand made feel to it, which obviously fishing was was hand crafted for so much of its time, and that real community feel, and I think that's really important to preserve.
Speaker 1: Absolutely absolutely. If I could ask you, sitting in the museum looking over the harbor, what like this the sunrise.
Speaker 2: Sunrise or sunset sunset?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Amazing, Yeah, I'm just picture that. Yeah, yes, Yeah, we're right on the on the mouth of the first and fourth, so the sunrises right over the over the mouth of the firth, and then you know, obviously sets sets over over Edinburgh Way. Yeah, it's a great a great view.
Speaker 1: What attracted you to the world of fisheries, heritage and museum work before? Before joining your museum, where did your career did you.
Speaker 2: Well? I have to confess at this point that I don't have a background in fishing, myself at all. I grew up near next to the sea in East Lothian, but my family are not a fishing family, so I am a total newcomer to this, or I was a newcomer to this when I when I came to the museum, my passion was always history, and mainly I would say the history of people and how people lived their lives and how how they in the past solved the same problems that we're trying to solve in our own lives today. And I find it fascinating to find out how people lived in the past, how very different they were from us, and how very much the same they were from us now. So I studied history at university up in Aberdeen, and then I took a couple of years out and I went abroad and I did some teaching and discovered that teaching was not for me, and then I did some office work and bits and pieces and decided actually what I wanted to do was share my passionate history with people through working in a museum. And I think coming to the Fisheries Museum, that's the museum that has given me all of those aspects that I wanted to bring into a working career of doing the research, telling the stories, connecting with people, and yes, doing a bit of the teaching element as well, but not in a classroom. That's that's where I am. And I commend very much as somebody who didn't have a clue about the industry. But I'd rely very heavily on our volunteers and our community here to keep me right on that side of things.
Speaker 1: That's a great story and really and that, Okay, everybody doesn't know, there's no well we maybe come across a few people in our days who know everything. There are just a chosen few, so you but but I redout to that. Yeah, okay, there's parts that you were low on. You've taken something to the Musicum, yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it's it's it's being interested. I think I do find history and the past inherently fascinating and I really would like to share that with people and people who say that hits the history is not important or you know, why do I need to know about the history where we're living here and now? Well, how can you understand the hero and now if you don't know where it's come from? How do you how can you solve the problems you're facing if you don't know how people in the past have approached the same things, and you might be missing a trick if you don't look to the past just to see how things were done back then.
Speaker 1: And you're you're very fortunate to be in a position or a situation I should say, where you're now doing what you've wanted to do. That's lovely, it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I do most days feel very lucky to be doing the job that I'm doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, excellent. Are there memorials or stories in the museum that particularly affect you personally?
Speaker 2: It's striking you use the word memorial because we do have a memorial room within the museum, and that is dedicated to fishermen and lifeboatmen who have lost their lives at sea. And to me, one of the most poignant things in the museum is where you get a brass plaque up on the wall and you see the names of every member of a crew who's gone down with a vessel, and then you look a bit closer and you realize that a lot of the surnames are the same, and you realize that that's members of the one family, and that, to me, is that shows the impact that the fishing industry can have on families and communities because the men went on the boats together with their family, and they owned the boats together, and it was that shared endeavor. And of course then you've got the families waiting at home waiting for them to come back safe, and that crew didn't come back safe. And I think that particularly when you've got people who actually come, which they do fairly regularly, come to pay their respects to their relatives. And we've got plaques from from all over, so people do come from all over.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 2: Just being able to well be a being able to provide that service of somewhere where they can come and pay their respects, whether that's an individual visit or whether it's we have an annual memorial service as well. But then just seeing that, you know, even a couple of generations on that tragedy is still having an impact on that family. And I do find that very affecting.
Speaker 1: But it must be for that families that have the plaques there in that room, what a special place it is for them.
Speaker 2: I hope, so, I hope, so, I mean we will we keep it, We keep it going, and we keep the memorial service going every year because it is important to honor that. Yeah, fishing is a very dangerous job.
Speaker 1: Still, Yeah, I'm not wanting to take anything away from the memorial room. But when you mentioned same names in it, there's two it brings to mind two things. One, I remember a woman from the Seafish organization. She went up to Peterhead to do some she had some meetings and things to do. I was speaking to her after that and she says that the funny thing she says she had a brilliant day she met over twenty people. But the funny thing about it, they were all buck uns and strakings.
Speaker 2: Yes here they're all Muars and Watson's.
Speaker 1: But yes, and my own situation a small fishing village at Helmstell. I'm from Cowey's Jim Cowey's my name, James is my as I call my son. The name, as you know, Jim and Scotland is short for James. When we were in school, there was only twenty two hundred and fifty pupils in the class in the school. My older brother was David Kowe. Now I don't know if it's the same goes in it now, but the older brother was called after the father's on the father's side, and then the next was called on the mother's side. So I'm David's called after his father's father. I'm called after my mother's father. So he's David koe I'm James Kowey. When we were in school, there was nine David Kowie's and seven James Kowey's.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's either very traditional or a severe lack of imagination. I would say, have.
Speaker 1: You any hidden games in the collection that it's overlooked? What's the oldest or most unusual object in your museum?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know if it's the oldest object in the museum. It's certainly the oldest piece of fish I've ever seen. We have a piece of dried fish hanging up in one of our galleries, just showing how fish was dried. That has been there certainly as long as I've been at the museum, which is over twenty years now, and it was reputed to be about twenty years old at that point. Wow, So I wouldn't like to sample it now, but it's still it's still hanging on the wall. Yeah, that's quite an unusual one. My favorite object in the museum is actually slightly tangential to fishing. It's actually a harpoon. It's the head of a cast iron or wrought iron harpoon head from the nineteenth century and it was used for whaling. And before you say, I know, a whale is not a fish, but the Fishery Board for Scotland actually that was set up in the nineteenth century to superintend fisheries. They covered whaling as well, so I think when the museum was set up, it was decided that the museum would cover whaling as well. And one of our buildings actually was owned by a whaling company, so there's a connection there. But the object itself, it's the shaft that the iron shaft of the harpoon with the barb point and it's been twisted into our corkscrew shape and that was done while it was stuck in the side of a whale. And to me, it's a rather gruesome object when you think about it, but it's just to think of. On the one end of that was a creature fighting for its life, twisting and turning in the water. On the other end, on the end of a piece of rope, was a small boat with four or five men in it, clinging on for grim death up in the Arctic seas, and just as an object that tells, as a single object that tells a story, I think it's a really powerful object. You've got this what's the one piece of twisted metal and suddenly this whole tailed wow comes out of it.
Speaker 1: That's amazing, that's fantastic. The funny when you mentioned the dried fish, Linda. Anytime bridefish is mentioned, it takes me back to a situation I had. I did a lot of business in the fair O Islands and used to go there a lot. Loved going there, great people, and it's I think, to my dying days, I'll take the memory with me. I'm a skipper, an owner of a boat. Go and see him, visit him. I'm sitting in the city room. You can just picture it. I'm sitting in the sitting room, his citing room. His family are there, their children and some of the children's friends. We had a like you can imagine a coffee table with bites for like biscuits or cake, and that with our coffee and plates of suits. They were crazy for every time they were fishing, one of their boats would come to scrabster. We would be putting on board hundreds, literally hundreds of tens of Macintosh chocolates, Quality Street all that tins of hundreds of tons of them, and they were all spread out on the coffee table, and there was dried fish on plates as well. All this was a spread in the coffee tables. I kid you not, Linda. The children were taking their dried fish, not the sweets. Can you imagine that in this country?
Speaker 2: No, in a word, No.
Speaker 1: I've never I've never got my head round that.
Speaker 2: No. No, it's it's interesting that you're You've just reminded me that one of the the things that's great about working behind the scenes at the museum, because obviously we've got a much bigger collection than we can actually show at any one time, and we've got lots of books from ships chandlers and the suppliers who supplied the boats. And one of the things that always amazes me is the number of tins of condensed milk that went aboard these boats. Yeah, yeah, just to keep the crew going. Just all the condensed milk, so sweet tooth.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you a story about I'll tell you a story about condemnsed mild my experience, that's a bit of different. My experience was condemnsed milk. All I ever wanted to do is that child. It'd be out in my father's boat was a family board be out at sea, and when we were out there fishing between the halls, they would have a muggy tea and I was getting the carnation milk and my tea, and my uncle was obviously it was all brothers, father and his brothers that had the boat, and one of them, my uncles, was he had a small bottle of milk. He took a piece with him every day and he had a small bottle of milk. So, I sister, when I saw it picture, I'm maybe up ten would be the oldest I was then, and assist him. Oh, uncle Jim, you're you don't use you use cow's milk. No, no, no, no, he says, I don't think cow's milk. I use bull's milk. And look at home. We landed at home. I an't landed. I was home in the house, and next morning my mother sent to me at the breakfast table, and how did it go? Oh, it's great, Michael jumped and I told her and I often wondered, which although I never ever never would any further. I often wondered if there was through the pongo drums, what do you saying to our children? So anyway, moving on the True Price of Fish. The title of the book exclusively available your book, sorry, exclusively available in the museum. That takes me back as well to my childhood. The very title. It's mean so much to me, Linda, And I'll tell you why. When we were kids, you know, the ship to shore or the radio. We could put on the radio on the long wave and listen to the boat talk on the big sets and we just loved that. And then may be news it would come to man overboard, boat sank, all hands whatever. My mother still from from a todt right up. My mother would always say, that's a true price of us. Mh. So when I see the title of your book, I just wow, it just takes me back to that and what a fantastic book it is.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, thank you. I mean it's it's it's it's such a rich story to try and encapsulate, and it's very difficult to do even within a museum of this size, and even more so within a book. But we're just so lucky with the collections that we have and the generosity of people over the more than fifty years that the museum has been around, just you know, because the vast majority of our collections are donated, so we're reliant on the generosity of people bringing those things in and sharing them with us, and then we can share them with our visitors of course.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's fantastic the way that goes all the different methods of fish in different boats. Now I've going right back with a sale. Just amazing. So the photos are fantastic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love our photo photo collection. Actually, it's one of my favorites. There's always there's always new things to discover within it, whether it's whether it's I mean it's quite difficult to photograph men actually at work out at sea because they're busy working. They're not they're not going to take the camera out and start taking photographs. But some of the community aspects and how even the children are involved. As you were talking, you know, as you were saying, going down to the harbor and helping get the get the catch on onto the onto the quayside and getting the boat's bakes as the the steamers went down to Yarmouth, and all of these things are captured in the photograph I.
Speaker 1: Mean, and then I mean remember coming across one of them with the motor power page and there's a the note in about kelvin petrol or paraffin and it says sixty sixty horse power. Well, my going back to our family board, it was it was fifty four foot, which is it would go into the fishing room. Of some of the modern boats, they's so much bigger. But as far as we were concerned, we thought she was a battleship and it had a kelvin eighty eight eighty eight horse power kelvin. So that's taken me back to that. And when you think of you know, I've spoken to some bettermen with the modern boats and they're into the the two thousand and.
Speaker 2: I know, I know some of the sizes of these these old engines. You know, we've got an old Gardener engine and it's it's it's two meters long, and I don't know what the horsepower is, but it's it's you know, it's less than eighty eight. It's just crazy how things have moved on in the technology and the and the mechanization.
Speaker 1: That's well well done in the book. I think it's fantastic. And I don't know if you spoke along with there with some of the other museums, but I've got one helm still, which obviously where I'm from. And they've got the time Span Museum, Yes, yeah, and they've got a book out now, Poetry of People and the Sea. And I have to have a confession to make Linda. I've I've gone over and over the most stunning photos. I haven't read a poem yet. That's a terrible admission. But have you ever seen the one from Lossy Mouth Andrew Campbell just a lossy loon.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen that one.
Speaker 1: No, it's brilliant. It's brilliant because Andrew Campbell was such a successful fisherman in his day. I can remember Andrew's book in term. In fact, i'll tell you this story about him. I was back at night. I can tell you exactly when it was. Nineteen seventy one. We got married, Marian. I were now fifty five years married. We were in honeymoon in Oban. Now a lot of the we call them I n s, becaise the register you know, the letters for lossy boats was i ns and barns we used to say, I n s was I never sleep.
Speaker 2: And that's a good one.
Speaker 1: So our honeymoon was in Oban and a lot of the Lossy boats then, I mean LOSSI Mouth had the biggest seenor fleet in the country and a lot of them fished out of Oban, and so yes, think of the out here's the situation, first or second night of her honeymoon in bed and I hear I'm out of bed out the window binocular and I see the I NS sixty, I think sixty six, I think, And here's me watching the boat. One of the first nights of bed of her honeymoon. And a number of years later Andrew is up. But another fisherman's funeral, Norny Bremner, which I'm sure you know of the boy Andre. He passed away and we're at his funeral. And I spoke to Andrew and I told him that story and he and he's broad Lossy accent. Ay ay, that's my boat. So yeah, that would be Do the museums speak together, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're quite. All museums are different, they're all they're all, you know, there's all manner of different ways of setting up a museum. But we're pretty good at getting together. We've also got for heritage heritage vessels, there's an organization well, there's National Historic Ships UK down in London and they have a kind of a network of ship shape they call it ship Shape Hubs and we are the the ship Shape hub for Scotland and so through that we try to connect with all the historic vessel operators. So there's kind of there's kind of museum networks and then there's the historic vessel networks. So we try to be quite quite well connected and swap stories and you know, for example, there might be a museum that's going through its collection and finds that there's something that it's got that it doesn't feel that sits very well with us with it, so they might offer it to us. Or we might have something that we think actually we've got duplicates of that would another museum, would it be better in another museum, So there's that kind of conversation goes on a fair bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So yeah, it.
Speaker 2: Good to collaborate and cooperate where we can.
Speaker 1: Totally question in industry and coastal communities, you know, do sometimes feelly ignored. How do you find the importance of preserving their history. Even although they feel that they're ignored, you obviously make it. I think a great job of showing that they're important.
Speaker 2: Well, we try to. I mean, as I said earlier, I think the history of I can't imagine Scotland without fishing. There's there's so many there's so much coastline for a start, there's so many fishing harbors. But I think it is quite easy to overlook. I think somebody has called it sea blindness. People don't even they see the sea as a kind of just a blue expanse on the horizon. They don't actually think of it as an environment where people have their livelihoods and work, whether that's in fishing or in all the other industries that utilize the sea and its resources. So I think I think that's changing. For example, the city of Dundee, which we're quite close to, for years and years there was no development along the waterfront. The waterfront was just used as a motorway, as kind of a road network just to get in or out of Dundee. And I think they've over recent decades they've thought, actually, we need to make much more of the waterfront. It's a great immunity it's a great resource. So they're developing that and trying to make more of the fact that they are a city that's on the banks of the River Tay. And I think for people just in general, there is a reawakening of awareness of the importance of the coast and the sea, whether that's for health and well being, whether it's for generating money, if it's the insure fisheries industry and you know that kind of luxury seafood market that is so much of the story that Scotland tells to the rest of the world. Visit us. We've got all this wonderful seafood, and then you've got other people who are farming seaweed or farming shellfish and trying to kind of sit look at new ways of exploiting coastal waters and coastal habitats. So it's yes, it's a difficult one because the fishing industry. I think it's because the boats are our way out at sea and they're beyond the horizon. People don't see it. They don't they don't see that work that goes on. They just see the end result. And also it's a lot less visible than it used to be in the past, because the boats are much bigger, so and everything's enclosed, and then they'll come into harbor and the factories of processing is all done in enclosed buildings where it used to be done outside or you know, in people's own own homes or in the in the yards outside their homes or whatever. It's easier to ignore it, but I think it is still so much of a part of who we are as a country and as a culture. Yeah, it's a difficult one. It's a difficult one.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then everybody goes for their fish and chips, don't they. Everybody still still loves to eat their fish and chips, but maybe not to think about too much about where that's come from. So it's bridging that gap between you know, that the end product and how it's actually got there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think they were better in the past that that accepted acknowledging where their fish was coming from. Yeah, I feel that anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there were more people employed in the industry as well, because as you were saying, you know, the boats were smaller, so there were more of them, and so maybe it was it was just a bit more visible.
Speaker 1: But before yeah, as the boats were yeah, they're always maybe in some bigger than that. But one of the converse stations, Linda, another conversation I'll never ever forget. I'm on the pear and scrubs the skipper. The boat just landed, a really well known, well known and well well respected Orkney fisherman, and Albert read standing there after he landed. We've sorted everything out, chat in a way we'd hear this one. He says to me, Well, Jim, it's all very well for you. We could stand here in the harbor here and chat for the rest of the day, but he says, there's a bad forecast and I want to get out to see because I don't want to get stuck in here. So the boats may have been made a steel but sore the man. Yes, that's a lasting memory for me. Well that what can museums gather and protect better than statistics and government reports.
Speaker 2: I think that has to be the personal stories that people bring. Just this afternoon, actually we had a chap come in and he was he was ninety and he handed in to me the ganzy that his grandmother, who died in nineteen forty nine, had knitted for him for his first trip to the sea, and he was going to see from Port Seaton. He would have worn that ganzi when he was seventeen years old, and he wore it, you know, on a string of fishing boats, which I can't remember the names of now, but I scribbled them down as a bit of as I talking to me. And it's it's absolutely beautiful. I mean, it's it's exquisite that the fine detail of the stitching. He said, he leanded, loaned it to a friend who probably washed it a bit too hot and it shrunk a wee bit, so it's a little bit feltered, but it's still it's pristine. And it's that kind of story behind that ganzy that no book will tell you that. And that was a fisher roam fishing family and likewise, you know, the names had cone down the generations. And he also had his grandfather's seaboot stockings that that she had also knitted. And you know, if if you don't, if you don't, if you don't get the story, it's a pair of socks. If you get the story, then you know, then then there's a story you can tell. And you can you know, you can see where the heels have been mended, and you know she's been, you know, in between his trips to see she's been quickly darning the heels of his socks to get him out, back out again and keep him dry and warm. And that's from a conversation. And that's the kind of story or bit of information that you won't find in any of the reports. And the reports are are important because you know the number of boats that there are, a number of boats that there were, and the catches and how they were processed and where they all went to. That's that's really important when you're getting a picture of the national industry and how it's ebbed and flowed and the different ups and downs of the pelagic versus the commercial. You know, all of that is important to understand, but it's the it's the stories that people bring that bring it to life. And I think museums can do that and we do that by obviously by telling those stories on labels, but we also have recordings that people can listen to as they go around the museum, so you know, they can pick up a headset and listen to somebody in their own words, talking about what it was like to be out there on those boats, you know, using the equipment that people can see as they go around.
Speaker 1: I'll quote you this verse, pull the tread at the bottom and ravel a fisher's tale, a scratchy yet soft reminder of when boys were grown at sea. That's a poem, a gansy behind glass. It's the book from that I mentioned to your Poetry of People and the Sea from Timespan Museum. I spoke to them today, Linda. I've got a copy to send to you.
Speaker 2: Fantastic, fantastic, and there's.
Speaker 1: A poem and photo of three guys in their galzies. But they all had ghanzis. We all had ghanzis and that's not to be forgotten. I think it's fantastic. You haven't museum acknowledged the importance of fishing in Scotland's history.
Speaker 2: I think by trying to show all those different aspects. I think by trying to show it's not just the guys out on the butt, not that that's not important, the guys on the boats actually catching the fish, but it's it's much wider than that, and it's the fact that there were women involved, there were children involved, there were men, there were people on shore and offshore, there were the guys, the factories making the oil skins and the nets, and the boys and the sails and building the boats, and it was a whole, you know, industry and then concentric circles of industry that came out of that. And we don't try and tell a simple story, and we don't try to answer all the questions either, because the more you look into it, as with anything, I imagine, but the more you look into it, the more complex and interesting and nuanced a story it is. And we try to do that justice within our displays and also within our temporary exhibitions. So as I said, we've got many more things in our collection that we can show any one time. So we have a program of temporary exhibitions, and within that program we'll try to have a focus, for example, on Ganzi's or on artwork, or on some of the technical aspects. We had a recent one on the impact of steam power and the railways because it was the an story of the railways in Britain, and these looking at the stories from different angles and picking out different aspects means you can delve into things in a little bit more detail and bring out another kind of aspect of the nuance and also maybe interest people who have an interest in nitwear, so they'll come for that, and then they get interested in the story of the fishing industry. Or they've got an interest in steam engines and steam locomotives and trains, so they'll come for that, and then they'll get an interest in the fishing industry because they haven't realized that, you know, the two two go together. So I think it's trying to show the entirety of it well, knowing that we'll never quite manage it.
Speaker 1: The thing that I like, I see it in your book, which I'm pleased about, and as part of that story, and it's the woman as well as the man. Although they had hard they had hard lives, hard work. That has my own granny has told me in the past. They had something great times and they were so happy. That's so much fun as well. And I see that some of your photos there's fishermen smiling, which I think is you know what, holding a big hall, a bit or something like that, something special.
Speaker 2: So exactly, Yeah, I think, Well, it's it's any it's any job or any kind of occupation or situation where things are tough. You've got to find the humor, haven't you. It's like that kind of it's almost like gallows humor. But you know, if if if you've got a hard working life, then you find you find you take the opportunities to have a bit of a laugh. And there's a fantastic photograph that we've got of one of the boats with Brighter Hope that we've we've got we've got objects that relate to that boat, and there's a there's a photograph of the crew and they're just holding up things that they had to hand, and they're they're posing like a skiffle group on board the boat with like you know, a barrel lid for a banjo, and you know, it's it's just it's just mad. But they're obviously just taking a two minute break from hauling on the lines, just to be daft for a minute. And I think that the women as well. It is such a contradiction because they worked so hard and yet you hear the stories about the the herring gutters who would go down to Yarmouth and they say, oh, but it was so much fun and we would go to the pictures and we would we would, you know, hang out with our friends and and I think I think we forget now that how unusual that was for, you know, a gang of young women to go off together, traveling halfway down the country, you know, staying in lodgings or you know, together wherever they were working, earning their own money, having their free time, being able to go to the pictures, being able to you know, go to the fishermen's mission, or going window shop in the in the great resort town of Great Yarmouth, and then have their earnings at the end of the season to take back on the train with them. And you know, they did have that freedom, and they had that independence as well as working very very hard for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And obviously it's been a as you say, it's been. Fishings has always been a very dangerous profession. But I think museum with what you mentioned earlier memorial room a great way of acknowledging losses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as I.
Speaker 1: Say, I hope.
Speaker 2: So the visitors book is quite interesting to read because a lot a lot of our visitors do comment and say, well, they bring up those two points. They bring up the point that you know, they now realize the value of the fish that they're eating and the what a hard life people had. And they also really welcome the fact that we do highlight the role of the women in the industry and the vital role that they played.
Speaker 1: That should never be forgotten. My goodness, my grandmother, my old grandmother on my father's side, he was, I mean, I can just picture or my goodness, you would be and a boot in the harbor and doing all the work things they would do with no rubber gloves, no protection, just bare hands, and about salt when they were saltings, and about beating m hm boks and stuff like that. No, no, it's part well, is there, Ralph? Feeling that you feel that you or you hope that visitors will leave with after walking through the museum.
Speaker 2: But if you said it, I hope that I hope they'll they'll understand more about the industry and and the fact that it's not the fishing industry. It's it's many different fishing industries, and you know obviously the change over time. But I hope that they would they would have a respect for the people who built the industry and who under underpin it to this day. But I also hope that they would they would also see that the kind of the positives of the industry and how it's inspired people as well, because a lot of what we have on display are things like, well, we've spoken about poetry, and you know, we have examples of poetry on display. We have wonderful artworks on display, and people who have really taken inspiration from the fishing community and the fishing industry and its culture and then use that to as a as a support for creativity. So it's it's it's not. It's not you know, we're not We're not trying to batter people over the head with all the doom and gloom behind the it's it's it's also a story of innovation, adaptation, two economic changes, environmental changes, industrial changes. It's a story of entrepreneurship and resilience, I suppose, and also of that strong community culture and traditions that are then inspiring for other people.
Speaker 1: I always thought as well, when the thinking back, for sure, when maybe on this one only particularly skippers when they were in I mean they had anything between five and maybe seven men that they were responsible for, and they were, you know, how to be mindful of looking after and if they got in a situation with bad weather or something gone wrong or that what ann bull confidence they must have had and strength to come through anything like that.
Speaker 2: I think so, Yes, I think so, although I mean you'll know this better than me. But probably they would be the last to admit it, and they would have just said, oh, yeah, well that's just the job, you know. I just got on with it.
Speaker 1: But I asked. I remember asking that there was a particular bad weather, now Helmsdale or my home village there were. It was on the east coast, so any one that gales anything bad weather easterly or southeasterly or that was really bad. And then I've seen the water, white water just breaking from end to end in the bay. And here our boat come in one day. Girl was sp I says, how a nurse did you manage to get in with that weather? And he says, no bother, no bother. He says, we hadn't a bother. He says, I had the coal shovel. I was able to keep the water. I would say, just breaking over them.
Speaker 2: There you go, resourcefulness, that's.
Speaker 1: Yeah. How would within the all it's like your artifacts and your what you've come you've got there, how would you would you say you could see in the exhibit not sorry, it not exhibition. The museum life and fishing communities has changed over this sense, over the past essentially, I would say.
Speaker 2: That the biggest change has been the increase in mechanization and the increases in technology, because yeah, I mean the last century were going back to the nineteen twenties, So nineteen twenties, you still had sailing boats, you know, and obviously there were steam drifters, and there was steam liner, steam trawlers and motor boats as well coming in. But it was all very much powered by human hand, you know. I mean there were some winches and haulers and so on. But compared with you know, modern vessels with all the hydraulics and the power blocks and all of that and the sheltered decks, and you know, it's much more physical, much more physical, and much more to do with reading charts and reading you know, rather than you know, a GPS system that does it all for you. And so it's the same, it's always it's the same techniques that are being used that it's the same or very similar. I mean, obviously net technology has changed as well, but you know, you're still putting a net around some fish and hauling them out of the sea one way or another. But that's the same, but it's how that is done. It's very different. And I think that's really interesting because just thinking for myself, I think it's much easier for people to get a grasp of and maybe going back to your earlier point about people not understanding what fishing is, nowadays it's much easier to get a grasp of things if they can see how they work. So if you look at like an old fashioned hauler or something like that, you can see the gear wheels, you can see, or the rope goes through that way and you pull it and that's how it works. Or you know, even if somebody's got an engine in their car, you know, if you can see the bits that are moving, you can see how it works together and what it's for and how it does what it's meant to do, whereas now everything's all enclosed and it's all hidden away and you plug it into a computer and the computer diagnoses the problem for you. Or you know, if you're trying to plot a course, you put the coordinates into your GPS and it gets you where you're going to go, rather than have I got the map the right way up?
Speaker 1: When? How what's that?
Speaker 2: So I think it's much more difficult to kind of get a handle on things when it's when it's all electronic. But actually showing people those older methods that were in use one hundred years ago, fifty years ago, they can actually see the workings, and I think that's really that really helps people to understand what's going on and why it's important, why it needs to be done, and also why these guys who were doing it were so good at what they did and and needed to be because they had to. They had to they had to run a business as a as a fishing vessel, and they needed to be good at navigating, and they needed to be good at all the mechanical stuff, and they needed to be good at finding the fish and also reading the markets and all of that side of things. So yeah, it's so multifaceted.
Speaker 1: You know when you talk about when you were talking there, remember exact words, but you were talking about wheels, and it's reminded me of what I class, what I would say and our family was a real funny story. Linda, it's good back, Well, it was good back to what we were talking about. I said earlier, the Kelvin eighty eight and they were in. We have problem. It's a gearbox problem, and you know the wheel, the the there's teeth on them and that and that engages them. And dogs called them and they had a problem with this. So they're looking at it and no, no, we're going to need to get an engineer. So they got my Father's there their their father, so that's it was my grandfather. They got him and says Luke go up and phone Shepherd's engineers, who are the engineering company, and whick who. He says, we're needing to get them down because and he says, just tell them the big dog is going over the small dog and it's just smashing its teeth and it's just breaking his teeth. So it's no engaging. So my grandfather goes up. He gets up to the house. You'll you'll remember, I'm sure you're you'll remember. That's the So he dials hello. She says hello, can I help? Yeah, he says, the big mysodas he says in Helmsdale. He says, we're needing yet. Have a look. He says, the big dogs are getting over the top of the small dogs and smashing their teeth. The woman came back and system, I'm really sorry about your dogs, but can you tell me what's number or what?
Speaker 2: Then?
Speaker 1: It was the open. Has any of our traditions survived and do you feel maybe some of them have disappeared.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's a that's quite a sweek broad sweeping question. Undoubtedly, there's traditions that have disappeared, but yeah, some of them, some of them survived.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's there's.
Speaker 2: Quite a lot of well you'll know this as well, superstitions within the fishing community. Things words that are not to be said, and and things that are not to be the right the wrong color aboard a boat. And I think there is still some of that. We are restored five feet the Reaper. There are certainly words that are not to be said aboard the Reaper, and wobatide anyone who starts whistling a tune, which I think is a is a very old tradition to avoid whistling up a wind while you're at sea. I mean, looking at looking, looking at more more more recent traditions. That there was a time when all the harbors had their their gala days, and I think there some of them are struggling now. And it was really lovely a few years back that Cellardyke Sea Queen was revived, So that was quite quite an interesting one because it had fallen out of of kind of current use, but it was revived. So I think, I think it depends. I mean, each each small community has its own its own practices and traditions, and it's again difficult to say what what is a tradition that belongs to the fishing industry and what is a local.
Speaker 1: Did you find with that superstitions? And sometimes you didn't. It was okay to mention to speak the word as long as you weren't on board the boat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I heard that, I've heard I've heard of that. I've heard of that. But I've also heard of places where you just weren't allowed to say the words at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah and yeah.
Speaker 2: Other other words were used. We have a we have a room in the museum with a it's a it's got a small window in it that's got a design made out of sea glass, and it's a it's a it she was a salmon, But that was never called the salmon room. It was always called the redfish room. Yeah, and that's you know, that's a common a common translation for for the term.
Speaker 1: I heard a coal iron. I've heard a pink fish, red fish yeah, h never never salmon no.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we've got I mean, we've got some some really quite interesting objects in the collection. Talking thinking about customs and traditions and superstitions, we've got a small child's leather shoe that was hidden in the in the chimney of a house and that was to keep the witches out because it was it was used as a decoy. And that's that's quite a common thing, not just in fishing communities, but kind of late eighteenth nineteenth century, where you would if bad spirits or witches were looking for the people in the house, if you hid an item of clothing in a chimney where they might get in, or by a window or a door, they would they would enchant that instead of going for the person, they would be decoyed. So that's that's quite an interesting item in the collection.
Speaker 1: Did we use a real strong tradition with us if somebody passed away and there was a came to the funeral, woman would never go to the graveyard. Yeah. Ever, in fact, my own sister says we still with not that she's wanting to keep with the tradition, but she's frightening to think that her father would think of her if she did go. So she'll she'll go to the service, she'll go to the house and things like that, but she'll just no go to the graveyard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, I've heard of that one as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. And a woman he never never, never would there be allowed on a boat on the boat. I was in Scrubster one day not that long ago, and there was a young lad and board and his girlfriend and her pal. They were down and the and Scrubster on the boat and I was just standing in the thinking back, Thank goodness, my father's no seeing that.
Speaker 2: But you see these these things go around because you know there's going way back. It was the boats that used to take the women to go and get the herring before they went by train or you know, other ways of traveling. Have you ever read the Christian Watt Papers That was written by a woman called Christian Watch. She lived in Broadsea up near Fraserburgh, and she was remembering the eighteen forties and she's got some fantastic stories and she's got some really strong opinions on many things, but absolutely fascinating character and fascinating life and a really hard life. She lost a lot of her relatives at sea. They were all all fishing, but she remembered going on her father's boat to the west coast to catch I think it was odd. They were catching in the season and the women went on the boat and then they stayed in huts by the shore and they would cure the fish that the men caught, you know, lay them out on the shingle and dry them, and then they would they would go on the boat back. And then as I said later on, it was when the when the first boats from the from Cellardyke actually that went down to Great Yarmouth and started off that that East Anglian kind of herring trip, and the women went on the boats before before they started chartering trains and things like that. And of course now you get you know, female fishers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I think, yeah, just yeah, there were I think maybe the fishermen in the past by like my father's era and before that, and that there were just men of their time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it was very though, because you know, we tell the story of how important that the women were to the fishing industry, but they had their distinct roles. You know, they were preparing the gear and they were processing the catch and they were sometimes they were selling the catches fish wives as well. But you know, in that period kind of nineteenth century period was it was very gender. They wouldn't have caught them actually fishing on board the boat.
Speaker 1: But even then, when I'm thinking, I mean would have seen made many a time thinking a lottery load of fish to the Lake Aberdeen and my goodness, just some factories. There would just be rose and rose women, filets and real characters, brilliant characters, you know, of any misconceptions have a bit of Scottish fishing heritage.
Speaker 2: I think people don't realize how much goes into it. I think, I mean, it's it's an easy mistake to make. If if you don't know, then how why would why would you know that there was a difference between the inshore fishing industry and the boats and the different fishing methods that people use, and you know, the the offshore with the large scale fishing industry.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's getting back to that that story of complexity and nuance, and I don't think that that's that's widely understood and the fact that you know you've got some fishermen who they have a boat and it's just them and they go out on a daily basis or whatever, and they're fishing from their home port. And then you've got you know, these vast logic trawlers of the workout of Shetland and just you know, are a completely different scale and then everything in between. And I think that that's maybe not quite understood by people outside of the industry, just how how many different aspects there are and how complex it can be, and the fact that that you know that a lot of the fishing is done by people, you know, running their own business and owning their own boat and fishing and doing it all themselves, and it's not all big, big companies.
Speaker 1: Is there any single artifacts in the museum that perhab the attention of most visitors.
Speaker 2: I think that would have to be the largest object that we have on show, which is our Zulu the Research, and that's that's a full sized vessel that's within the museum. We have a number of full sized vessels in the museum, but most of them are you know, smaller kind of in shore boats or or even smaller than that creole boats. But the Research is a massive, a massive vessel built in nineteen oh three and fished till nineteen sixty eight and built as a sailing Zulu and then later motorized, and unfortunately all that we have left is the hull. We have some of the equipment that came off her. But in some ways that makes her even more impressive for people because you can when you come in the gallery, you come in at ground level and you're kind of walking outside the outside, the outside of the hull of the boat, and then the route takes you up and around until you're kind of standing looking down inside the hull and you can see the construction. And I always think it's absolutely astonishing to think that those massive oak frames were shaped by hand tools, you know, and because when she was built, that's that's how they would have built her with hand tools, and then obviously the planking. And as curator, I have had the opportunity to go down inside the hull, which the visitors unfortunately don't, and when you're standing on the keel and you're looking up just the sheer scale of it, it's just absolutely amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, brilliant, that's brilliant. Are their stories told behind the exhibit?
Speaker 2: We always try and tell stories. So with the research, we were lucky enough that her last crew, because she was built in the Northeast and then she went up to Shetland and spent most of her working life in Shetland, we were lucky that some of her last crew were still alive when she was donated to the museum, so we got their stories, and her engineer, Gibbey Williamson in particular, left a good amount of stories of you know, fishing trips in her and so we try and share those with the visitors because, as I say, that's what brings the boat to life. Without without that, she's I mean, she's still an amazing object, but it's difficult to picture when she's sitting inside the museum how she would have behaved out at sea. And I think that that human element is important to give that flavor.
Speaker 1: Is there any artifacts that best show the skills and ingenuity of Scottish fisher men?
Speaker 2: Again, that's a really difficult one because there's because there's so many.
Speaker 1: It's maybe the one you just mentioned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe the one I just mentioned, do you know what I mean? It's such a silly, simple thing, but the nets are kind of little works of art in themselves, I find. And if again, if you watch somebody mending a net and you're from a fishing community, you'll be thinking what she's talking about, Well that obviously people can mend nets. But if you're not from a fishing community and you see somebody just you know, they take some twine and they've got their their net needle, and their hands move so fast you cann't you can't even see what they're doing. And suddenly there's a hole where there was a hole, there's no hole, and then you can't even see where the mend was because they've they've got the gauge completely right, the mesh size is completely right, the knots are as neat as anything, and you think, that's that's just skill, you know, that's that's just hand and eye and years of practice. It's it's it's muscle memory, and it's just you know, again what we were talking about before, here's a problem I need to solve it. I'll just get on and do it. And they just do it. But to anybody looking outside, you think, okay, yeah, that's that's something that I wouldn't know how to do. And there's just so many different little almost silly examples like that that just come from those years of working within an industry from that individual and also the generations stretching back that mean that you know that was just around in their kind of family DNA almost to to kind of pick up and run with.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, let's face fishing was central to places said like Anstruther, pitting waym and the East UK villages. Absolutely, I mean Mornons by that. The boat I've been talking about, our family boat that came from that was Builtons and Mornans mm hmm. Yeah. And what a great reputation Miller's a you know, if it was a Miller, if it was if it was a Miller's boat, it was a good one.
Speaker 2: And they sent boats all over the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But then even even more recently than that, you know, a couple of that were I was lucky and luckily enough to know and we're here as trustees, I'm sure you one of the names David Todd and David Smith. And they were both real innovators in the fishing industry as regards machinery and the design of the boats and adopting new technology and new ways of fishing because they were you know, entrepreneurs and mechanically minded and wanting to see how they could advance things.
Speaker 1: My response to that, Linda would be, do you mean the navy smith? I do, I do Argueraut Argonaut, My goodness, what a name he made for himself. Good good fishermen. But in fairness to that guys as well, a good fisherman. I mentioned good fishermen there, not Ebrahim. There up years of the same character with the boy Andre, and that story goes on. Now his son Andrew and his grandson are now just as successful that. When I say that, I don't mean because they caught the boats fish. There's more to it than that. They were mindful of the future, and no wouldn't they just didn't want to catch everything. In fact, I would elaborate on that. I would say, I'm in my sevenies now, been in the fishing and just pray much all my life. I've never yet met the fisherman who goes to see to catch the last of any species.
Speaker 2: Now, I think the fishman that I have met have all come from generations of fishermen, and they would wish for there to be generations going forward as well. I don't think I mean there aren't as many people going into the fishing, and that's that's a really complicated story about regulation and resources and technology and all sorts of different factors, and that's that's where it's it's quite a challenge and it's also but it's also quite a good thing to be a museum of a living industry, and you know, long may we be a museum of a living industry. But it does mean that, you know, things are changing now and we have to try and keep up with that as well as you know, preserving the history of the past. But it is a period of change. Was probably anybody at any point in history would tell you it's a period of change, to be fair, But no, I agree the fishermen that I speak to would all want to see a future for the industry as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but even with the different styles, as you say, just what you mentioned there. I remember my father used to tell me and how when they were still steam and they would have coal, you know, on board. He said, there were fantastic seaboats and they were always great ballasts because the way he put it, he would be sailing out the fishing grounds with coal and they would be coming back full of fish, so the stability and were great seaboats and you know they used what they had.
Speaker 2: Absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 1: Do you feel younger visitors appreciate who demanding and dangerous a shan once was.
Speaker 2: I think it's difficult because it's changed so much, and life has changed so much, you know, even between my childhood and my children's childhood, it's just so many things have changed and it's difficult to get a grasp of. We try to convey some of these things, and we try to tell the stories and convey the information in different ways at different levels so that the kids can who come, either either with their families or with school groups or whatever, can take away a bit more of an understanding. And we've we've actually worked on a couple of projects specifically around you know, how hard life was at sea, and we've got we've got some interactives that we that we use. We've got it's our version of being resourceful and using the things to hand. We have a waste paper but arts. Basically, it's like a laundry basket that we've rigged up with straps and we get the kids to carry a load of bean bags as if they were as if they were fish. Wives carrying a load of fish, and we kind of adjust the weight of the bean bags to be proportionate to the child's weight and just kind of say, right, okay, we'll load you up with bean bags. Now you walk along there and see how it would have been to carry that load. And it's just you know, daft examples like that, but just to try and convey some of the physicality of it all. I mean, one of the great things that we can do with the school groups actually is if they can get aboard the Reaper either an answer other or if she's able to get up to she was at McDuff earlier this year, and we get the school groups on board, and then you know, they get the experience of going down the ladder into the hold and getting into the cabin and climbing into the bunks, and they'll they'll all get on the end of a rope and raise the sails up, and that I think is much more immersive experience and they do get a bit more of an insight that way. So that's that's that's really useful because I think it's difficult otherwise to get to just get an understanding of the physical aspects of that hard way of life, and how.
Speaker 1: Much of the muniums not it comes from oral history or people telling their own stories, must be brilliant. And then when you get people like that, it is it is.
Speaker 2: And we are very lucky that we did have volunteers in the past who would interview people, and obviously we can do the same now, but it's great to have those stories captured from the past. And actually one of the combinations that we found really worked well was we had a couple of volunteers who would go and do interviews together, and one of them was a member of the fishing community and had been a skipper and a fisherman, and the other one was not. So the fishermen could speak to whoever they were interviewing about the fishing aspects, and he knew which questions to ask, and he knew what they were talking about and could understand where they were going, and you know, that side of things. But the person who didn't know what the volunteer who didn't wasn't from the fishing community could say, hang on a minute, what do you mean by that? And and you can you go over that bit a bit more form it, because the danger is that you've got people who know what they're talking about speaking to somebody else who knows exactly what they're talking about, and there's a lot of assumptions made about what people know, and then people like me come in twenty years later and think I have no idea what they're talking about, because they know what they're talking about, but they haven't explained it for somebody coming from outside.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So yeah, from a non fishing background.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly, I mean, yeah, so yeah, it's great to have the stories, but you have to ask the right questions as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's fantastic. What does the most memorable would you say, a conversation you've had with, say, an old fisherman or a family member.
Speaker 2: Again, that's a difficult one because well, as I was saying, just this afternoon, I had a really fantastic conversation with a chap who brought his Ghanzi in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that'll do. That's good. I don't say too high bar. And I'm fortunate, or maybe we're fortunate here because I'm old enough to remember just how important ghanzhi is wet.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly, and all the different variations.
Speaker 1: My goodness, there were some weight in them.
Speaker 2: Ay, yes, yeah, I imagine when they got wet, they weren't quite so comfortable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, that's for sure and unfortunate. That's what was a problem for them if they did just say they went overboard or that. Yeah, that didn't help them the way the way of their ganzis and things like that. Blena, what are there stories that would have been lost forever if they hadn't been recorded in time you feel in the museum.
Speaker 2: Definitely. So speaking about our two volunteers, a lot of the interviews that they did were around the time of the you know, we've had recently, over the recent decades or so, we've had quite a lot of big anniversaries of World War One and World War Two. So obviously the people that they were interviewing didn't have memories of World War One, but they did have a lot of memories of World War Two, and that was something that are earlier interviewees hadn't asked about. And whether that was because they didn't think to ask about it, or whether it was because there was still people were still sensitive about talking about it then when when they were speaking to them, so we got managed to get quite a lot of details, interesting details about people's wartime experience. And you know, obviously since then a number of our interviewees have passed away and we would have completely missed those stories had we not captured them at that point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's fantastic you have. And how do you feel from your research that the importance are How important were they? Like things like gutting yards, securing yards, markets, family businesses, success of the industry and the fleet.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I'd say that the onshore aspect of the industry is as important as the boats themselves, because you know, there's no point in catching the fish if you then can't get the fish to market and in the you know, pre refrigeration and freezing, the only way you were going to do that was either to get it to your local markets by physically taking it there as fresh as possible, or by curing it. And so you know, the vast majority of people who had tasted fish it would have been cured fish, you know, if they weren't living by the coast themselves. So all of that infrastructure was vital, and not just for the fish processing, the gutting yards as you say, and the and the factories and the transport infrastructure, but also things like the oil skin manufacturers, and then netmakers and the boat builders and rope walks as well. It's it's interesting how little of that architecture survives now and it has all been centralized. You've got it's all. It's all mass produced now and quite often not not in the UK as well. So's that again, that's another aspect of the industry which is much more hidden away than it used to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Do you see a role for museums to help bridge the gap between fishing communities and the wader public.
Speaker 2: Definitely, definitely, And I think that's what I seem my own role as because as somebody coming in from outside and I can kind of be that bridge between the industry where people have lived it and know it absolutely intimately, and then the vast majority of our visitors whose interaction with fish is either you know, a fish finger of the freezer or their fish supper, or it might be a tin of tuna or something like that, and they haven't really thought about it. So that's where the museum is I think, really important in communicating and finding those those little stories that will bring people in and draw them in and really to realize, oh, actually there's a whole aspect of this industry that I wasn't even thinking about. And it's because they've they've fallen in love with the art of a particular artist who painted the fishing industry, or because of their interest in ganzies, or because of their interest in engines and engineering, and that's what's drawn them in. And then and you know, because of that that translation piece that we can do as a museum, we can give them the context and say, well, all of this is part of a really important industry and culture that was really vibrant in Scotland and still is really important with in Scotland. But you didn't know it was here. But now we can tell you about it. And then hopefully when they leave the museum, they're going out with a new appreciation and also maybe not with more well hopefully with a few more answers, but maybe also with a few more questions and thinking, oh, I've never thought about that before. I'm going to find out about that a little bit more and just just you know, awaken their curiosity. I mean, some of our visitors obviously are incredibly knowledgeable, and we get a lot of visitors who have a personal connection to some of the objects and the items on display. So that's where you know, the research is a great example because we get a lot of visitors from Shetland who come specifically because we have that boat and they have a family connection with that boat. We have another boat in the in the museum, the Lively Hope who was based in Kenzie, and again we get people who come to visit that boat. I mean it was almost like visiting a family member. And Fraserburgh as well with the links to the Reaper, so you know there are people who come to the museum who know an awful lot and bring that knowledge with them and then you hear the family groups going around and saying, oh, well, that's the sort of thing that your granny used to do and that's what your granddad used to do, so they've got that knowledge. So it's it's it's also looking after their interests, but being understandable to visitors who've got no background in it whatsoever and who are coming to it all fresh.
Speaker 1: Thinking of a story another story my father told me Linda about museum. It's we've going way way back. It was just after the war and they were fishing in the Murray Firth supposed to hear and they were listening to two boats from lossy Mouth. Now, if you could put helmstill is in the north side of the Murray Firth, lossy Mouth is out. So they fished close to each other a lot, and he told me the story about who's there were haddock at that time. It's very scarce, really scarce. Obviously the boats weren't catching them. And one boat called the other saying, if you hold yet? Have you hold the net yet? Yes, they've hold. He says you see any haddack and skipberk back to them and said, the next haddock you'll see is in a glass case in a museum.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's a haddock, but it's not in a glass case. The the dried fish hanging up, it's lost its head.
Speaker 1: Well, thankfully they are still catching in abundance. But that just shows how cyclical Whish it is that it can take off. And come on, are you working on any future projects now that have be excited?
Speaker 2: Well, we've got our exhibition program is always changing, so we've got planning for our autumn exhibition at the moment, which is actually quite exciting. We're partnering with the Royal Scottish Academy. It's their two hundredth anniversary, so they've got museums around the country or are borrowing items from them to display. So we've got an art exhibition on the works of John Bellanie, who obviously grew up in a fishing community in ports Eaton, and we've got two of his works in our collection, one of which has never been displayed and we're borrowing some more from the RSA. Another one has never been to our knowledge publicly displayed, so that'll be that will be quite interesting for folk to see and something a bit different. And alongside of that, we've just had our Safety at Sea Gallery repainted, so I will be updating the displays in there, and that's where we talk about, obviously, you know, the dangers of fishing and how fishermen can and have kept themselves safe over the years, and going back to our earlier conversation, looking at some of the superstition and the way that that people used to keep themselves safe at sea before they had all the technological advances. So that will be that will be being changed over the over the Ottoman winter period as well.
Speaker 1: What sort of timing is there, you know for fishing year modern what we call modern year modern boats. Stuff you have collection, you have just now, when when do you does you start feeling well, that's for the museum and the next generation. When does that sort of kick in.
Speaker 2: It's it's a difficult one. I mean, some of the things that we have are actual, you know, prototypes, like we've got the lobster creole that there was a new design and it you know, it was we got it when it was new kind of thing. So we do try to keep up with things, but a lot of the boats are a lot bigger than we've got based to collect. So the way we get around that is that, well, we've got models on display, so we'll kind of talk about the evolution of the design of boats and the equipment and you know, the safety features and the the mechanical and the navigation equipment and communication equipment, et cetera. And we'll use model boats to talk about that, because you know, you can't really collect fishing boats forever otherwise we'll start to take over the entire harbor. But no, it's it's a tricky one. And obviously when things are happening, you know, when you're in the midst of things happening. It's difficult to see what things are going to stand the test of time and what things are going to be historically important in the future. So it's it's it's a little bit harder to know what to what to hang on to, but it is something that we try to keep an eye.
Speaker 1: On, and you are very much a special as mum m that must be pretty much an endless challenge. There are meriting collections in the long term.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I mean I'm not quite sure how we're going to collect things like some of the software that's used on board now. I mean some of that they're really high tech stuff and hopefully that will be a problem for my successors to deal with, but hopefully there As I say, there's challenges, but it's also interesting because it keeps the story fresh and it keeps it relevant to people, and it's it's a good position to be in to be a museum of a living industry, and.
Speaker 1: You know, we we.
Speaker 2: Try to keep our connections and try to to keep oral history. For example, interviewing people who are working in the industry now is a way of capturing that as well as the physical objects.
Speaker 1: And as a museum piece got to be study got to be old, no or not necessarily no. No.
Speaker 2: We had for our fiftieth anniversary that was in twenty nineteen, we had an exhibition and we spent we divided the year in two and the first half of the year we looked back fifty years to all the changes that had happened in the lifetime of the museum to that point. And in the second half of the year we had an exhibition that was looking forward fifty years and seeing well, what are the challenges going to be to the fishing industry in the next fifty years. And that was really really interesting, and we spoke to some people who work in the industry, people fisheries, scientists, some of the people behind the kind of the new fishing gear, latest fishing gear and technology, and that was really interesting to try and predict, well, what are the issues going to be, and what are the challenges going to be, and how are they going to be resolved? What are the trends that people there are seeing. It's not quite so easy because you can't you haven't got that luxury of distance from the subject matter, but it's very interesting.
Speaker 1: If I could ask you personally, after spending this time immersed and the fishing Scotland's fishing hereded. What is what a surprised you and as your view of fishermen seeing since becoming curator, Well.
Speaker 2: I didn't have much knowledge of fishermen before I became curators, so that's an easy one to answer. Yes, yeah, yes, I mean obviously I grew up on the east coast of Scotland, so you know I did encounter the fishing community and people who worked within it, but it was Yeah, my knowledge, as I imagine many of our visitors knowledge is still was very basic. And I think the more the more I get to learn about it, and the more I get to know how the industry worked and still works, I think it's just an admiration for the people who make it happen because a lot of them are just doing it themselves. I mean, obviously part of a community and part of a and and the fishing support organizations have a big role to play, but a lot of them are working for and by themselves. And you know, as a consumer going to the supermarket, you wouldn't you wouldn't realize that, you wouldn't think it's there's all these complicated links in a chain that that reach back to that point. Yeah, and then yes, it's how how do you convey that to other people? I think I think people who visit the museum do do gain an understanding of that? And do you think it's difficult.
Speaker 1: Anything in our industry has that question? In industry has contributed to Scotland that is still not maybe fully recognized.
Speaker 2: Again with the big questions, Yeah, I mean there's so many different ways to answer that that question. The economics, you know, the the importance of fishing. Well, going back to talking about the wartime, you know, fishing fish was not rationed during the war, and the fishermen kept fishing. I mean, obviously some of them were called up for service and made a huge impact to you know, defending the coasts through mind sweeping and all of all of the duties that they took on, one for the the the Royal Naval Reserve, but also they kept fishing, and you know, in those in those straightened times, I think that was a key contribution to the war effort. And I don't know if that's widely understood or or even thought about.
Speaker 1: For younger is listening today to us who knows really nothing about the fishing industry, What one thing would you want him to remember. You know, funny when I say that, Linda, and I don't want to make it sounded if I'm jumping in and answering my own question. I think I think you have the answer in your book that title your book. Yes, feel paish, that's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's the it's the human endeavor that goes into putting the fish on on people's plates.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah. If just say our listeners, some of our listeners today have never visited the museum, what experience do you hope they would they will come forward and what feelings would you like them to leave with.
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, I would tell them it's a lot bigger than it looks from the outside, So give yourself enough time. Because as there's a lot to see and lots of interesting things to see, and lots of interactive things for kids to do as they go around as well, because we do, as I said before, we do think it's it's quite good for children to learn through doing things as well as you know, just reading text panels and looking looking at things. I would hope that people would come in looking for a good day out and a good family day out lots of lots of things that they will find that will be talking points that will surprise them, that will tell them more about an industry that they maybe didn't know so much about, or if they're if they've got a history of the fishing industry, there'll be things that they that they recognize and they can they can point to, you know, similar things being in their own homes or their their their grandparents' homes or whatever. And when they leave the museum, I hope that they would leave with some answers to some questions and maybe some more some more curiosity about other things that they can they can explore a little bit further. We've we've got we've got displays that cover the technical aspects of of how how fish are actually caught out of the sea, that the fish themselves, and how they live, the culture, the traditions, the people who made up the fishing community. There's lots of different strands to it. We can't possibly exhaust all of those strands within a single museum visit. So I would hope that there will be something there that any visitor would find that would peak their interest and that they could go and explore further. Once they've once they've left us, and they can they can do that. We've got lots of resources on our website, and we've got our photographic library on our website, which is fantastic. We're adding to that with the help of volunteers. We've got learning resources, little summaries of our exhibitions, our events programs and so on. So there's lots for people to look at once they've once they've been to the museum as well if they want to follow up on various things.
Speaker 1: Excellent, excellent. You know one of the stories when you were talking about wartime and that I just remember. I just thought back my own family. I just thought that that's my old My cousin is quite a bit older than me, ninety and I often said, it must have been such an exciting place just after the war, and that's when the father and his brothers they got the boat from incident from Saint Mornan's. What an exciting village it must have been. And thinking from my granny and grandest point of view, they had five sons volunteered, went off, spent their time in the navy, and five of them came back WoT got a boat and started fishing. That must be fantastic.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, yeah.
Speaker 1: Where can our listeners follow the museum activities online.
Speaker 2: We've got our website www. Dot Scottfish Museum dot org and we're also on Facebook X and Instagram and LinkedIn as well, so that's that's where to keep up the Facebook and Instagram or where we publish all of our activity programs or exhibitions and any details of things that are coming up. So that's that's where to look for that up to date information.
Speaker 1: Brilliant, fantastic, and I'd just like to say thanks for your time today. It's been a real pleasure. I've loved it.
Speaker 2: No, thank you, it's been it's been interesting to hear your stories as well.