Speaker 1: The Projection Booth podcast is sponsored by Scarecrow Video. Try out Scarecrow's rent by mail service. Choose from over one hundred and fifty thousand films again Blu rays, four k's and DVDs delivered directly to your door. Visit scarecrow dot com today.
Speaker 2: Oh gez, folks, it's showtime.
Speaker 3: People say good money to see this movie.
Speaker 4: When they go out to a theater.
Speaker 3: They want closed sodas, hot popcorn in. No monsters in the Projection Booth.
Speaker 5: Everyone pretend podcasting isn't boring.
Speaker 4: Put it off.
Speaker 6: Five stars all the way, except for the last couple of years. The best film study podcast of all time in my opinion. Unfortunately, politics and strangely distorted British accents have crept in all too often lately, some new personalities with the habit of laughing a lot. No matter, it's still an excellent show. Go back and listen to the back catalog pre twenty sixteen for straightforward movie talk about story acting, shot selection, etc. Too much political commentary now, but I always look forward to the new shows anyway. Update. Because I have a long history with this show, I have found their old catalog on spreaker and use that glitchy app to re listen to their pre twenty sixteen shows, which are all pure gold. Nowadays not so much. I miss the Mic and Rob days that got me through many days and miles of work travel in the early teens. Annoying amateur babbling nerds. If you have no life and like listening to long winded, redundant, poorly spoken, profane, vulgar, unfunny, nerd humor, unoriginal, regurgitated misinformation, irrelevant personal stories and off topic, stupid, ridiculous connections told in bloated more is more geek fashion, then go ahead and tune into these idiots. But if you are your self a fan of such movies and want to know more about their making, certainly do not ever make the mistake of listening to this junk. It will taint the properties you once loved.
Speaker 7: Horrible effate commentaries. I came across this podcast and decided to try it out because they featured an interesting selection of movies they were reviewing. It's a bit interesting that their commentaries and reviews can be triple the length of the movies themselves. I found many of the commentaries to be obnoxious. From a feat self appointed elites. Specifically, I listened to the reviews and commentary on The Thing and The Running Man. Ascribing the box office failure of the Thing to Reagan era politics as they did was just ridiculous. Reagan took office in January and nineteen eighty one. The Thing was released in late nineteen eighty two. The Thing was indeed underappreciated then and frankly still is, but the commentary was idiotic. In a similar vein, I was annoyed by the brit reviewing The run Man. The ultimate irony in their twenty seventeen commentary was that the very bit the commenters were talking about the selective editing by corporate media, manipulation of the general public, etc. Is exactly what's been happening in the last five or so years, but by the people they presumably support. I was hoping to hear bits about the craft of the films and got a little of that on The Thing, But The Running Man, which is sadly proving to be as prophetic as Demolition Man, was filled with political diatribes and snide remarks. Some might say to give it more of a chance, but I've wasted too many hours on this podcast as it is.
Speaker 1: Hey, folks, welcome to Ego Fest fifteen, the time where I pull back the curtain and what is happening at the Projection Booth. I take listener questions. I talk a little bit about myself, talk a little bit about what's going on with the podcast. Might talk some other people up as well, you never know. It's kind of a free form train of thought type of exercise where I don't write too many things down other than a few topics that I want to be sure to cover.
Speaker 8: And then of.
Speaker 1: Course all the questions that people have for me. As you heard, the Projection Booth is universally loved. Nobody has a bad word to say about the show. Let's keep it that way, shall we. Actually, a lot of the trolls, the right wing trolls that were coming out and critiquing me for actually introducing political things into movies I talked about politics or making things quote unquote political, they have kind of gone away, which is not bad. And my stalker who loved to sign me up for different right wing websites and newsletters and those things haven't heard from that mofo in a long time either. That's fantastic. Again, let's keep it that way. Of course, after I recorded that, that's when I had a recent interaction with someone. You've probably read some of the reviews that I've gotten where people just complain about how political we get on the projection booth or I get specifically.
Speaker 9: Politics again where they don't belong. Would be a fantastic podcast if the host and guests could go two minutes without sticking their idiotic political points of view in movie reviews that have nothing to do with politics. So exhausting.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I can't keep my mouth shut when I see the world just kind of turning to shit, So my bad when it comes to that. Also, sorry that I called out Charlie Kirk for being a piece of excrement right after he died. I mean, Charlie Kirk died for what he believed in, which was very lax gun control, and apparently because he wasn't right wing enough, which is fucking crazy. Based on that managed to attract some unwanted attention from, of all people, filmmaker in Garronigo Gosien, Sorry for my pronunciation. I don't know if he runs a site or a thing on Facebook, but has posted a couple videos with my likeness on there and with people like Charlie Kirk or Trump basically punching me in the face until my head explodes kind of disturbing and yeah, just not something I'm a big fan of. So I've tried to get those videos taken down off of Facebook. I've also tried to get his account reported and possibly closed down, both the AI slap account that he runs that's that their name, not My Name AI slap account, and then also his own personal account. But apparently now that Facebook is just completely embracing AI and doesn't seem to give a shit about any sort of community standards. Now he's still going, that site's still going, everything's still going, So fuck me, right. But that's the kind of weird shit that I'm putting up with, and I'm sure a lot of you other folks are putting up with too. I can't even imagine some of the things that especially some of the female co hosts that we've had on the show, some of the trance people that we've had on the show, the stuff that they go through, it's much more intense and horrible, I'm sure than what I'm going through. So I just felt though that I wanted to bring that forward, just because what the fuck man? He just posts these weird frickin videos of like Barack Obama's head explodes and Joe Biden's head comes out, but Joe Biden's head is also on Barack Obama's chest eating guy scream. I don't know what's going on with this dude, so yeah, suffice it to say I probably will not be reviewing or talking about any of his films anytime soon. Actually has a film out there, Dangerous People from twenty fifteen, and apparently acts in other people's films as well, So yeah, great.
Speaker 10: I was into it until the oh so convenient yet misguided and just stereotypically dumb Disney bashing Deadpool Wolverine bashing. Well, I'm thinking they're rather happy. Same with the Romulus people. This elitist and unable to just have fun attitude just made me drop off and unsubscribe. Gave it a try. I'm off to have a good time watching movies and not spread misery.
Speaker 1: Let's go ahead and kick things off with a voicemail that I got from Captain Billy. Let's go ahead and just play that back and and answer some questions after I come back.
Speaker 5: Hey, Mike, Whites hate Projection Booth. Captain Billy here calling from the center of the universe, Parma, Ohio. You're asking for questions or your ego theft I can only think of one, Mike, Why are you so awesome?
Speaker 11: Why is the.
Speaker 5: Projection Booth the greatest podcast in the universe? Is there a room in the bed for your wife at night with you and your awesome talent? Seriously, didn't you used to say at the end of the show, ticking over the world one listener at a time, and then now it's just taking over the world? Did I hallucinate that it's a great show?
Speaker 12: Guys?
Speaker 5: Keep it up.
Speaker 13: Thanks.
Speaker 1: First off, that is four questions. Let's go ahead and answer them in order. Why am I so awesome? Oh boy, that's really tough. Gosh, there's so many reasons why I'm so awesome? Let me count the ways. Actually, I don't think that I'm awesome at all. I think that have the ability to bring together some awesome folks and have some great discussions around movies. But frankly, I don't think I'm very awesome. Why is the Projection Booth the greatest podcast in the universe? Again, probably not the greatest podcast in the universe, though I have to say it's probably better than some film podcasts. One thing is that when we were sitting up the show, we said, let's not have a whole lot of chit chat. Let's dive into the movie discussion pretty quickly. Let's try to keep it as professional as possible. That might not be true, it might not be as professional as possible, but I do try. So there is that Is there room in the bed with your wife at night for you and your awesome talent? Probably not. Yeah, Luckily we've got a California king, so I guess the talent kind of sits between us. It seems to have enough room, So that's good. And as far as taking over the world one listener at a time, maybe I said one listener at a time at some point. But it was tough to find a way to end the show and didn't want to have some sort of, you know, take it easy kind of ending. I didn't want to steal somebody else's ending sentence. I do like keep the dirty side down in the shiny side up, but that's just mostly for my truck of friends. Yeah, I don't remember when I switched to the projection booth taking over the World. But that's how it's been in the outline for the longest time, and every once in a while I might change it up a little bit, but for the most part, Yeah, we've just been working on taking over the world. And I don't know if you hallucinated that then might be the case, but I'm sure that there is evidence out there to contradict me, and no, for sure. The first I don't know, one hundred two hundred episodes, I probably had no idea how to end the show once I found out that I wanted to take over the world and take over all those other podcasts and make mine the greatest in the universe. If not World, World, Solar System, Galaxy, universe, I'm fine taking over all of them. Let's go ahead and stick with some questions more. Let's go ahead and hear from Dallas Novelle, who is a longtime listener and we communicate via Instagram. It's always good hearing from Dallas, and very nice of him to send along this question list as well, so we've got a little bit of stuff from him. Let's go ahead and play that.
Speaker 2: Can you talk a little bit about the feedback that you received from filmmakers, authors, or even other podcasters who were allowed to guest host or even were featured on your show in response to what kind of audience they got after being on your show.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't know if I've ever really gotten that feedback. I will occasionally hear from somebody who said, oh, I heard this person on your show and I picked up their book, But that's a about it. It would always be nice if I did hear either from the filmmaker's authors, et cetera, or from the folks that might have checked out a movie. Every once in a while, I will get a I watched this movie because of his on your show, and I liked it a lot. I don't tend to get a I listened to your show and I watched this movie and I hated it. What movie did you guys watch? Though, every once in a while I make get that if we dislike a movie and people will come back with that, I've gotten a lot of all the things. Civil War Alex Garland Civil War seemed to cause the most consternation with people that we didn't like that movie. Actually have a review of the show from somebody who didn't like our review of it. So let's go ahead.
Speaker 14: And play that Triggered by Alex Garland. I typically enjoy the film analysis and depth of knowledge, but the hosts sounded completely triggered in the episode about Alex Garland's They were ranting about all the decisions he made for no reason and how enraging they found the movie for an entire hour plus fine for a two sentence letterboxed review, but I would expect a more thoughtful and thorough analysis of a film during such an extended dialogue. For me, it highlighted the occasional unfortunate tendency for their discussions to start sounding like an amateurish echo chamber.
Speaker 10: Dear Mike, big fan of the podcast and first time writing in, absolutely love the mix of in depth discussion and interviews. To me, it has always felt like the most well rounded film podcast available. This is also the first time I have felt compelled to write into any podcast I listened to with criticism. I listened to the Civil War episode and was struck by two things. One, A significant portion of your criticism of the movie is that the movie is different to the trailer, and that all three of you you expected a different film based on the trailer. The film speaks for itself. The trailer is there to sell the film to a wide audience. Whilst trailers, interviews and press releases may ultimately affect the expectations you bring into the film, it is surely down to you to let go of the baggage and assess the film on its own terms. Two, there was a great focus on disappointment that the film has nothing to say, Yet your discussion focused on elements the film clearly did not care to dwell on, such as how the Civil War started, what the politics of the different factions were, and how it relates to twenty twenty four as if it needs to. In your one hour discussion, you almost never explore what the film is clearly focusing on journalism and the gray morality involved in this objectivity. This point being missed is striking, with the perfect example being your discussion of the ending, where the consensus seemed to be that you didn't care that kissed and Dunst's character was killed when sacrificing herself. No one brought up what happened afterwards in that Kylie Spainey did not check on Dunst and instead carried on to make sure she gets the perfect photo, and Wagner Mura did not check on his partner, instead rushing to get an interview. When begged to not let the soldiers kill the president, Mura coldly acknowledges the plead as a quote, and is then captured in the photo standing alongside the soldiers who are committing a war crime. Whether or not you are invested emotionally dunced is a fair critique, though lacking without further elaboration. But to only view the ending in terms of her being killed rather than how the other journalists act signals that an understanding of the fundamental elements that encompass the film were either not picked up or were certainly not conveyed in the discussion. It is perfectly fine to miss the point of a film, though perhaps a shame for all three hosts guests to have done so so. But I just could not get over how all three of you were so hung up on the film being different to the trailer. It was mentioned for a split second that Alex Garland did not edit the trailer, which is then rebutted by stating it was Alex Garland who edited the film. It should really not be revelatory to hear that the film is the piece of art speaking for itself, not a trailer made to get a mass audience to buy tickets to view it. Not that you didn't have other criticisms that I'm sure would limit your appreciation of the film regardless, and a couple I found compelling, but it seemed fairly clear a large amount of the episode was spent both expressing disdain that the film had not been what you expected and not engaging with what the film was actually focusing on. Obviously, run the show as you please, and who am I to be listened to? But I was genuinely taken aback from listening to that episode and felt the need to write something. If this is even read, I hope it gives you something to think about. Laugh at best wishes Paul.
Speaker 1: So yeah, very interesting. I actually just got some feedback the other day, so speaking of Instagram from a friend on insert well, I guess he's a friend. It's very condescending when he was talking about our opinion of our Civil War episode and basically saying that we completely missed the point of everything and that we were too stupid to understand what was going on with that. Also, how much he disliked Father Malone and Christassue, which is not really a way to enjoy yourself to me, because obviously I podcast with those guys quite a bit. We do the Sopranos podcast with Chris, which has yet to come out. Hopefully one of these days that show called what No Fucking zd Will actually come out. And then with Father Malone, we do well, We've done quite a few things, but we've been doing midnight viewing over the last few years, and we are just about to wrap up all of the details from the Dark Side seasons and move on over to the Hammerhouse of Horror season that is out there, and then I'm sure we will find another horror anthology show to go through. So yeah, I've been podcasting with him for years and years and he is just about to be on yet another episode. Also with Chris, I do the well We've done Colombo, Colechak, Bernie Miller also do the Ranking on Bondo podcast with him, did Rings of Power, which hopefully we will do the second season of that pretty soon. Chris is a pretty good friend of mine, and so the way to my heart is not to critique him and talk about just what a shit co host he is, so, But as far as any feedback from filmmakers, yeah, nobody said, oh yeah, well I had a lot more people buy my movie afterwards, or got a lot more feedback from people after I was featured on the show. So yeah, the US thing about doing this, I mean, thank you Dallas, especially for giving me feedback. Every once in a while, Dallas will write to me and talk about different episodes he's listened to. I've got another friend, Chip who will do the same. That's great because podcasting, as we talked about in the age of audio episode podcasting is pretty lonely business. Me sitting here alone in front of a microphone talking to a hopefully not imaginary audience, but also just not getting any freaking feedback at all. Just putting out episodes week after week after week. You don't tend to get a lot of feedback on stuff, so you just basically hope that people are listening, look for download numbers, and assume that people have heard things. But yeah, it's kind of a strange biz to be in. There's not a great feedback loop. Let's say, can.
Speaker 2: You talk a little bit about your favorite decade of filmmaking and more specifically, what is it in that era that we're missing in our style of filmmaking today.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's any secret that my favorite decade of filmmaking is the nineteen seventies. A lot of it is because I grew up during most of that. I mean I was born in seventy two, so I missed out on quite a few things. I really wasn't too aware of the world by nineteen eighty when the decade was over, but I was exposed to a lot of things during that decade. Also just going back and catching up with the films back then. It was such an interesting era.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: We've talked about that confluence of things like Vietnam and Watergate and the spiritual vacuum that was going on in the US at the time, talking about you know, occultism. I mean, we had the Manson murderers, we had the beginnings of the oil crisis. We had a lot of interesting things going on at that time in the world. Obviously, I've talked about what was going on in nineteen sixty eight around the world with the student protests and so many different countries, and I really feel that that fed into the films of the decade. I just felt like it was a very cynical age. But yet at the same time you had things like Jaws and Star Wars and that kind of era of blockbuster Blockbuster Summer's beginning, and you also had the studio is still taking a lot of chances on things. And also the independent movement was still going on. You still had the drive in movement, You had a lot of regional filmmakers that were doing things. I know that we still have independent films happening today, but some of them are just not my cup of tea. Every once in a while, I'll get people sending me things and it's usually horror, and I'm like, it's not really my bag, baby. But I won't say that twenty twenty five is divorced from the ideals of the nineteen seventies. Obviously, we are in a big crisis time right now. I'm kind of looking forward to the rest of the twenty twenties and into the twenty thirties to see how what's going on that way is being reflected. That's one of the reasons I came down on Civil War so hard is that it just didn't feel like it actually took a stand I believe that in a movie, okay, what we should call it, The Hunt, that was basically taken out of theaters because people were too afraid of political violence and of his conservatives hunting liberals. I really feel that that was probably a much more edgy film. I have seen that, and I do remember enjoying it. I love people hunting people movies. I love that we have a new version of The Runningman coming out pretty soon. I want to see The Long Walk, which is coming out as I'm recording this first part of the episode. I love that cynical stuff, so I want to see more of that and less of the flash and sizzle kind of stuff. Not to say I dislike just mindless entertainment, but yeah, I really felt that the seventies were a great time to see a lot of different filmmakers kind of learning their craft, some classic filmmakers still struggling to make their films and getting a lot of interesting things out of it. I imagine that if you look, if I were to do a chart of what era of movies we've talked about the most, I can see the nineteen seventies probably being the biggest spike, maybe eighty six because We've talked a lot about movies from nineteen eighty six, but yeah, the seventies definitely is my favorite era of films.
Speaker 2: Who are some of your favorite filmmakers working today and what do you think sets them apart from some of their contemporaries.
Speaker 1: So I have thought about this for well over twenty four hours since I got your question, Dallas. I have to say, there's nobody who I'm really rushing out to see their films. You would think I would be like a pig and slop with the new Aeronofski film coming out. Some people are super stoked for a new pt Anderson film coming out. Yeah, there's nobody who I'm really just following their career and excited when they have new things release, or read their interviews or any of that kind of stuff. I can't even think of documentary filmmakers or anyone from any country who I'm just like, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, I got to see this film right now. The only thing that I'm excited about when it comes to new movies is when a new Rajna Kanth film comes out. If folks are unfamiliar, Rosna Kanth is the South Indian superstar who every one of his films is preceded by a little video where it calls him out as a superstar. We recently went to see Cooley, and I think it was last year or the year before we saw Jailer. I hear there's some sort of sequel to Jailor that might be coming out. I'm excited for that. So yeah, that's about it. And this last time I went to see a Raja Khan film, the audience was just super into it and everybody was screaming and clapping, especially when Raja Khan's video came up and some sort of anniversary. I think he's been working in films for fifty years now, so yeah, it's pretty amazing. But yeah, as far as filmmakers, yeah, I enjoyed the two films that I saw by the guy who did Barbarian and Weapons. But it's not like again, I'm, oh my gosh, I gotta see this guy's movies. I'm not a big like ariastor fan. There's nobody who's just really doing it for me every single time one of their movies comes out. I'm just kind of cautiously optimistic with certain filmmakers. But I'm still seeing a lot by the Old mass which is weird to say. As far as your Scorsese's, your Smielberg's, I mean, poor Briandon Palmer hasn't made a film in a while, nor has anything that he's made, oh for quite a while been anything I'm rushing out to see. Yeah, I'm sorry, I feel like I'm copping out on this one.
Speaker 2: Barney Miller felt like a perfect podcast to me. Can you talk about some of the feelings that emerge when you complete a project like that and have to step away from it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very odd when you come to the end of a podcast. We did that when we did Dreams for Sale, came to the end of the Twilight Zone eighty five run. Obviously, when we did Colchack, we both talked about the older Colchak as well as the reboot that was happening, And I mean, we'll go back to Police Squad. We've got an episode about the new Naked Gun that will be coming out for that. But there wasn't a lot of feelings around the end of Barney Miller. I'm glad that people enjoyed it. I'm especially glad that you enjoyed it. I had a lot of fun with that one. It was great getting to know Auto Bruno, speaking with Max Gale. Finally towards the end there was freaking fantastic. I hope people enjoyed the final episode for that one. I especially really hope that people enjoyed that I wrote out the letters goodbye in white rocks for when Chris took off in the helicopter and he could look down and see that. Actually doing a mash podcast would be fantastic, but there are other people that have done mash podcasts much better than I probably could. I'll probably get a little sad at the end of the Columbo podcast because it's so much fun to talk about, but with that one you get tempered by the ABC years and just how bad some of those episodes are. So it's going from a great fun thing to a slog probably in about six months here though. In between talking about season seven and season eight, we will be looking at a lot of things that came out between them from Levinson and Link, as well as from Peter Falk, so we've got a little bit of material in there. Probably won't cover vibes, I don't think. I think we'll be kind of choosy when it comes to what projects we'll talk about, but there is a Romanian film with a Colubo type character. There's also a Japanese series. Unfortunately, out of the four films, I've only been able to find two, and only one of those with subtitles. So I'm hoping to dig up those over the next few months, and if other things come about, we will definitely cover those as well. It's actually a lot easier than I thought it would be to put a podcast to bed.
Speaker 2: I'm really enjoying finishing Berney Miller as well as keeping up with ranking on Bond and the Chevy Chase podcast. Can you talk about any other podcast ideas you're currently juggling. Any chance of a Dabney Coleman podcast in our future.
Speaker 1: I would really like to get back to the Rings of Power podcasts that we did. Had a great interview with the composer about his work on Rings of Power. I was very happy to talk with him, and yeah, I enjoyed the first season kind of. I would just like to get back and watch the second season and talk about that with Chris and I think the third season is coming up pretty soon, so there's that he and I. Chris and I have also been talking quite a bit about doing a Night Court podcast, which is another one that has that reboot that just took place. I think that might have gotten canceled now, but I'm not sure, but there are still people from that that are around, and it would be great if to have a conversation with like a Richard Mall or a John Larricat so many great character actors, it feels like barniey Miller and Night Court really go together well. It feels like some of the crazies that they were taking out of the twelfth Precinct could have easily been taken right into Judge Anderson's courtroom. As far as other things, Sam Degan and I were talking about doing a podcast dedicated to the works of Fastbender, but I think we are just way too busy, both of us together to engage in that. I've been thinking it'd be nice after we're done with Rank and on Bond to maybe go through all of the Elvis movies, but I don't know if Richard or Chris are into that idea. Feels like I've got a little bit of a running list of things that I'd like to cover. But also one of the things I've been wanting to do Chris Stash You had a show called The One Season Show where he would talk about TV shows that lasted for one season. There are quite a few shows that I've written down that I would love to talk about, things like The Chronicle. There's one called dead Last with Tyler la Bean that I would love to discuss. I think I've got a list of, gosh, maybe five or six different shows, and I kind of would like to just hijack his concept and even steal the theme music and everything and just go with that. Maybe have Mark Begley and I talk about some things. And again, that's a lot of commitment to time to do a full series watch even if it is just one season. And I don't know if I would do episode by episode or if I would just do one episode that talks about the entire season of that particular show. Gosh, remember that one with was Colin Hanks and Bradley Whitford. I think it was called The Good Guys. That was a lot of fun. I'd like to talk about that. I mean, hell, we could get Richard Adam on and we could talk about a few of his shows that have only lasted one season. Miracles, what was the one where the guy I died in Campell? Yeah, yeah, but I remember being good And then what was that one? My friend Mike, his brother worked on it. Human Target. That would have been an interesting one. I think pretty sure that was just one season. Would have liked to have seen where that went, and I think part of the fun would be to talk about where these shows could have been. Actually, no, I just looked it up and it was two seasons, so have been able to cover that one. But that was a lot of fun as well. So there are a lot of great one season, two season shows out there, but to hold true to the premise, it would be just the one season show. As far as the Coleman cast, I would still like to do that. It's unfortunate that mister Coleman passed away recently, well recently for me as an old person, it feels like Tom moves in a little bit of a different way. It was probably I don't know, a year ago or something, but it just feels like it just happened. So yeah, it would be interesting to go through his hire filmography. I don't know if that one will ever happen, but that would be a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: With the understanding you don't really have a lot of free time to listen to podcasts, or you wouldn't make yours. What are your top favorite podcasts that aren't on the weirding Way Family right now? And it can be even people that you just enjoy guesting on.
Speaker 1: I still on my phone the podcasts that I still listen to regularly, So actually, I'll look up right now what I've got. So I still listen to one out of Michigan Radio called That's What They Say, which is about five minutes long, and it looks at different terms of phrase or idioms that we have. That's a lot of fun. I also listen to the pod News Daily Report, which James Kridlin hosts. I still listen to We Hate Movies fairly religiously. And speaking of religiously, I still listen to Got Awful Movies. I don't know if I'll ever be invited back on God Awful Movies again. I had a fairly god awful experience with those guys. I feel like I was not nearly as funny as I should have been while I was on their show talking about the Diniesh de Suza film. So that was kind of sad. And then I had two of the guys whom We Hate Movies on early on in the podcast days, and yeah, I don't think they had a good time either, which is a real shame because I love their show. I love God Awful movies. The other show that I listened to that isn't on weirding Way Media is Richard Hadams Paranormal Bookshelf. I highly recommend that very interesting mix of talking about paranormal books as well as Richard's life. I find that kind of mixed to be pretty interesting. Otherwise, yeah, I spend most of my mornings or afternoons either listening to books or audio commentaries as I drive to and from work, so not a lot of chance to listen to podcasts. I have quite a backlog, especially of the We Hate Movies. It's just a lot of episodes I haven't had a chance to listen to. I was thinking about listening to those when I go out west, and I'm going to be in Utah for a little bit and driving around out there, but probably we'll be listening to Blood on the Moon, the James Elroy book, because we are going to be talking about cop pretty soon. Like I said, a lot of time, I just spend listening to books or audio commentaries related to things that we'll be discussing this year.
Speaker 2: You've definitely done a deep dive on some nostalgia artists from the eighties. We've seen Willopie Goldberg, Robin Williams, and to a greater extent, Chevy Chase. Obviously a lot of these visits were going to be a mixed bag. Can you talk a little bit about the motivation behind taking the good and the bad, going and visiting these and what was your motivation behind programming.
Speaker 1: These Chevy Chase thing that came out of a discussion I was on an episode of Wake Up Heavy with Mark Begley his show. We were talking about foul Play. I believe it was the first Chevy Chase feature film that wasn't the Groove Tube. He, Chris and I were on there, and I think Chris, who loves to turn projects in two different podcast series, was like, well, we should do this for all of Chevy Chase's movies, and he came up with the schedule, the list of films, some of the bonus episodes that we've done. So that's how that one came about, and God helped me these movies are so bad, but I had not seen a lot of them, so this was finally an excuse to see certain things like Christmas Vacation. I know I had seen Fletch and Fletch Lives once before, but I had never done the deep dive on that and listened to the books of the well listen to the first Fletch book. I actually also watch Fletch one and listen to the book that that was based on, and then reading some of these screenplays. Because I don't just half ass the stuff, as everybody who's listening to this probably knows, I try my best to do the deep dive. Find the scripts, find the audio commentary, find articles. I've been reading Chevy Chase's quote unquote autobiography, which is obviously written by somebody else.
Speaker 15: Boring. Listening to this podcast is like sitting in traffic with three dorks aka wine Cast trifecta over which gas station has the best coffee, Tedious, directionless, and somehow still boring and annoying. Listening to three nerds that still probably live at home with their mother go on and on about Chevy Chase movies. This podcast needs to be canceled like Chevy Chase's talk show back in.
Speaker 16: The day, Chasing Chevy is much tighter as a title, but Chevy Chases probably yields more search results. Gotta get them clicks. As someone who has sat through most of Chevy's filmography, they earn most of their stars simply watching the movies. Chevy was only in a handful or so of good films most of the time, neither he nor the material are really up to snuff. The hosts recognize that, however, they tend to repeat their points quite a bit that time would be better spent providing more background info on the production of the film. They get better at this towards the end of Chevy's filmography, like reading the shooting script. In fact, there's a whole podcast about Fletch Fletch Cast with Laker Jim, yet it was only mentioned in passing in one episode. Do some more research, fellas HDTGM provides some background info and encourages listeners to really engage with their show and the movies they watch. I understand Chevy and his body of work are kind of a shallow pool. For example, Chevy had a biography come out that was very short even compared other Hollywood Bios. Chevy's best work, which was written to suit him, was in Community. If you need a guest to discuss memoirs of an Invisible Man, I have the Blu Ray. It's not the best film, but Chevy actually tries. Overall, it's a good podcast with room for improvement.
Speaker 1: As far as the Robin Williams stuff, I think a lot of that was just the reaction to his death, which obviously had taken place that was a while ago, and just so many people talking about how great all of the movies were that he was in. So I decided to pick some of the what I considered to be some of the worst titles of his So again did my due diligence, looked into these movies as much as I could, tried to find the ones with the lowest Rotten Tomatoes and IMDb scores, even though one of my favorite films, Popeye, was in that category, so I skipped over that one since we had done an episode on Popeye before. And then I went ahead and talked about I think five films with Chris and found that some of these movies that were supposed to be very, very bad weren't nearly as bad. And some of them were horrible. I'm still just in awe of how bad some of those movies were. The film Man of the Year was wow. I still think about just how terrible that one was. As for Whoopi Goldberg, I'd had that idea in my mind for years that I wanted to talk about at least three of those four films for the longest time, and was just glad to do that. I was really happy to dive into those movies and just had a really good time talking about those. It was also a good excuse to listen to some of those Burglar books. It also was a chance to talk with some of the people behind some of those films. So talking with Tom Holland again not the kid from Spider Man, but the director, great hearing his stories, and then some of the interesting casting choices that were going on, and just I think three out of four of those were all supposed to be vehicles for other people. And then the way that Whoopi Goldberg and her comedy kind of rewrote those and the people that rewrote those things and how she fit or didn't fit into those was pretty interesting as well. That's the motivation behind all of those.
Speaker 2: He once made a comment about how you lost interest in modern music after the loss of Kurt Kobain. I think I fully understand that comment, but some of your younger audience might not totally get the impact he had. Is that a true statement for you? Still? Do you listen to new artists? Can you talk a little bit about the loss of him and what it meant to you?
Speaker 1: Is that statement still true? Yes, it is still very true. There are very few artists that I will actively listen to. I did put together a very extensive playlist that I brought with me out to Benton Harbor when I hung out with some friends. I guess I was two years ago, and it was all nineties music. Ironically, no Nirvana whatsoever, but it was all nineties music that I enjoyed a lot of one hitt wonders, things like Flag Polesia by Harvey Danger. I think it was probably one hundred songs, maybe more, and that also didn't get into some of the hard rock like Prong or Helmet. I think I might have had one Helmet song on there. Also didn't really get into too much rap, so it was more like power pop kind of things, or even some sappy stuff like Lisa loeb or Natalie and Bruglia. There are definitely songs from the nineties that I enjoyed, and so even though I did pretty much quit buying music after nineteen ninety four, this is how old I am. I still have a whole big rack of CDs. If I went through there, I would say most of them, with the exception, there are few artists that I still follow, and it's probably pretty not surprising when it comes to Yes, I started listening to They Might Be Giants in nineteen eighty five or eighty six, whenever their first album came out, and I started listening to Weird Yankovic back in I figured this out recently because I saw him in concert and I was trying to impress upon people just how long he had been in my life. I think it was eighty three when his self titled album came out. Yeah, So there are artists like that. When they have new albums, I will pick them up. But otherwise, with the exception of like James Goulchalko's Superstar, maybe just a handful of folks that'll pick up their things. Otherwise I'm just listening to a lot of older stuff or kind of filling gaps. There was a place that I worked at a few years ago go called vml Y and R where they had a Spotify playlist that everyone was invited to contribute to, kind of a way to share music. And there were a lot of older songs on there that I enjoyed, especially a lot of songs that became rap songs that I had never heard the original of, or even became maybe like a daft punk song. Yeah, there's quite a few songs like that where I'm like, oh, okay, this became this other thing. So I always enjoy hearing where the origination song was, Like the song that eminem that Hi my name is song, Like to hear where that riff came from. I find that fascinating. I always enjoy knowing where the samples come from. It's kind of like one of the reasons why I enjoy Paul's boutique so much is just hearing all of those samples and hearing sound being put together to make news. I guess when it comes to new music, the other thing that I enjoy is mash up albums and mash up songs, just to hear how things are recombined. But yeah, for the most part. I really did kind of drop out of music after Cobaine killed himself because I was just so into Nirvana. They were my favorite band. I was buying as many bootlegs or singles or rare things that I could find by them. I mean, I remember when Incesticide came out, I was super excited because I finally had some clean versions of some of these songs that I could only find on bootleg cassette tapes. So hearing some of that stuff pristine was really nice. Yeah, I was just so into that band. I think I saw them twice in concert. I missed the Blind Pig Show, which a lot of people talk about around here in ann Arbor, but I did manage to see them at Scene Use Hall, and then once they got big, they played at the Michigan State Fairgrounds. I don't remember who opened for them then, but I just remember that being really as as Sullivan would say, a really big show that really took the wind right out of my sales. As far as the loss of him, yeah that was rough. I just really enjoyed his stance on things. I loved that kind of fuck you to mainstream music, that whole idea of using your fame to help prop up bands that have gotten you to where you are or that you feel other people should be listening to. So I never really would have listened to Flipper or The Vasilenes or some of those other bands had he not been wearing T shirts for them or talking about them in interviews. Kind of reminds me a little bit of mister Tarantino, where he would be talking up films back in the early nineties that quote unquote motivated him. Of course he never talked about City on Fire, but who we talk about? All these other films turned me onto a lot of filmmakers that I was unfamiliar with. Turn me on to Monty Hellman, so thank you for that, and same way with Cobaine turned me onto a lot of things that I wouldn't have listened to otherwise.
Speaker 2: What are some of your favorite and least favorite interviews you've done this year? And they don't necessarily have to be for shows you've already produced.
Speaker 1: As for favorite interviews, that is a tough one. Of course, every interview should be considered a favorite interview. But I have to say that being able to talk with folks like Gosh, Carrie Woods and Rob freed around their work. Also finally being able to talk with James A. Watson Junior for the Airplane two episode or gosh al Jean and Mike Reese, I mean, after seeing their names show up on so many Simpsons episodes, it was so great talking with them. I really got a kick out of talking with Sean Whalen. Most people would well not most people, because I'm old. People of my generation might remember him as the burger guy from the Got Milk commercial. Lately, I think Dominic Burgess was really fun to talk to when we spoke with him about his work on Feud and playing Victor Buono. That whole Victor Buono month was just a ton of fun being able to explore his career a little bit more and find out as much as we could about somebody who I really hold an esteem as far as his acting prowess, but whose personal life and kind of his biography is a little bit tough to find out. So really hoping that his nephew, who runs a whole YouTube channel. I don't know if he has put out a book or will be putting out a book, but I would love to read that all kinds of family history about Victor Buono. Other people that I enjoyed talking with, Jeff Cope, David Franzoni, Paul mccutten. It's been a really great year. I mean, I always appreciate everybody that I speak to you because I just appreciate that they actually take the time and talk with me. I mean, I recently had a chat with Stephanie Powers that was amazing. I wish that I could have seen her, but she was kind of hidden from camera view. I just got to see her eyes, and as Max says, she's gugious. So it was great being able to connect with her and talk with her about some of her work, and hopefully people enjoy the episode that she's on.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's see how this goes. I'd like to play a little word association game with you and give you a chance to shout out to some of your Weirding Way family. Can you tell me the first thoughts that come into your head in as many and few words as you want. When I mentioned some of your regular co hosts, Chris Stasue.
Speaker 1: What is there to say about Chris Stashue that I haven't already said. I believe I've talked about him I'm feeling like a little brother. Care about the guy a lot. He's been going through some rough times. I don't know if you've been listening to some of the later latest episodes of The Culture Cast. Chris is actually doing it as a solo show right now, though there are some recent episodes where he's had co hosts on there. I was on a episode recently about some Albert Brooks films. I'm not sure if that has come out or when it will be out. I'm really excited to always work with Chris. I feel that we have a good working relationship, and I am really excited. We have been working on a show for gosh over yeah, maybe a year and a half, maybe going on two years, all about the Sopranos. We are going through episode by episode. That is one where he is more the expert and I am the novice. I am the patawan on that one, and he's showing me the way. I've been having a great time watching that. I've actually asked him if we can record every two weeks instead of every month, just because I'm kind of forgetting who some of these characters are. Because it's such a rich tapestry of characters and such a strong storyline. I know how the show ends, so I won't be disappointed. I suppose when it comes to that end episode, it won't be another lost for me where I feel like it's shit the bed in the last episode. I hope I'm gonna not stop believing in that. Father Malone, Love Father Malone.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: Oh man. He works so hard and puts me to shame when it comes to putting out so many episodes. I think he does one a week, if not two every week. I mean, it's wild. He is working on this taxi podcast. He is the he's the host of Midnight Viewing where he talks with Chris and I about once a month and we will record a couple episodes, and then he also puts out his own stuff. So it's wild to say just how much he's been putting out and how much Carrie puts into the podcast as well. So that's been great. Heather Drain, Heather Dream. I haven't talked with Heather and way too long. We text occasionally, just she is so nice and just so much fun to talk with and I just love how I can't say obsessive because that sounds like a bad word, but just so in depth when it comes to her research, and I just love how much she loves music and art and just I subscribe to her newsletter through her Patreon, and I would highly recommend that everybody do the same. She is just such a wonderful person and I wish she wasn't in Arkansas. I almost said Arizona. I wish he wasn't in Arkansas, because man, I would love to just hang out with her every week. Mark Bigley Mark went through some shit last year as well. I believe it was last year. It's over the last few months where he fell off a fucking ladder. Luckily, he's doing okay, seems to be recovering very well. Marcus always so much fun to talk with. He is so dry when it comes to his humor, and he comes out with things that I would not expect to hear coming out of his mouth, and I just always appreciate him for that, always enjoy talking about whatever with him. I think we almost broke him with that Robin Williams series when he came on and was talking about was Patch Adams. Maybe he wasn't very happy with that, but no, we get along great and it's been wonderful doing this whole Chevy Chase series with him. Not sure if we'll do anything with that afterwards, if we'll switch gears and maybe do that Deadney Coleman cast. I have a feeling we won't. We've been joking around about Dan Ackroyd, but I can't put myself through that. So definitely check out Wake Up Heavy and Cambridge and with Sean on the Weirdingly Media dot com network.
Speaker 2: Rob Saint Mary, Rob's over.
Speaker 4: Where's he Cat?
Speaker 1: New Mexico?
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 1: I haven't had a chance to hang out with him very much at all over the last year. I think we did dinner before he went out there, and then maybe once when he came back for just a quick trip. I always enjoyed talking with Rob. He's just a trip. I'm hoping that he has another big project that he's working on. I know he's been doing a lot of screenplays and I think he's been writing novels. Always curious to find out what he's working on, because again, very passionate about things.
Speaker 2: And Colin Gallagher.
Speaker 1: I love Colin Gallagher. Yeah, I'm sorry, it's just a big old love fest for me. He is such a nice person. Didn't get to see him at Newarkon last year. Won't be seeing him if he goes to newark On this year because I frankly just can't afford to fly out to Palm Springs every year. I'd much rather if it was over in Philadelphia. Just feels like a much more noir location. Also honors David Goodis our patron saint, but yeah, didn't get to see him last year. Hope to make a trip out to New York City again one of these days and hang out with them, because it's just always such a nice time and he's just the sweetest guy, and again just that laser focus when it comes to his research and really putting us all into stuff. Ah, some of the stuff that he's done around David Goodis has just been tremendous and highly recommend that you check out some of the books that he's done recently, and also check out his music Modern Silent Cinema, really good stuff.
Speaker 2: I don't think a lot of people fully realize the kind of work that you put into every show. The managing interviews, managing guests, managing co host recordings, editings, buying media researching shows what motivates you to continue doing what you do at the level you do it, Where does your professionalism come from.
Speaker 1: That's a really good question, because I'm not sure what motivates me when it comes to this. Every once in a while, I think, why the hell am I doing this? Why am I putting so much effort into doing something. Obviously it's not for the money, it's not for the laurels, not resting on any laurels around here. I guess it's just because I have fun doing it. I have a lot of fun putting together these shows, doing that research, reaching out to people, trying to put together the best kind of show that I can. Maybe out of spite, but I don't think so. I think I just enjoy having that finished product. When I did Cashews to Cinema, the magazine or zine, I had those to hold in my hand. I don't have that material product to hold in my hand anymore. I just have these zeros and ones that are kind of floating around out there. And it's not like I get a lot of feedback for putting these things out there. I just do it. And I think a lot of it is making those connections and talking with people that I want to talk with and that I just have a lot of fun with the whole idea of having this rotating group of co hosts. It's always like putting together kind of a cocktail party and seeing what happens, seeing what that chemistry is going to be like pulling people from different walks of life, from different backgrounds, and the only thing that really unites us is a love of film. But it's so much fun when we have those great conversations. And I especially love when I talk with people that put a new spin on things, show me things that I haven't been thinking about. That is a blast for me. As far as professionalism, I don't know. I guess I still throw my mind back to the original classes that I took when I was in high school around journalism and working on the school paper and just wanting to do the best that I possibly could. Also, just when I was in college and even in high school, writing papers and really putting my all into that, trying to dig deep, trying to say more than is just on the surface. I used to have a real hard time when I was in high school and even into college when I would present arguments, but I wouldn't necessarily tie them all together. I would present something and I would basically say like, well here's A and here's B. But I would never say A plus B equals C. And that was what was missing from my writing. So I really tried to do that after I graduated and when I started to write things for myself, and now when it comes to the podcast, I really want to make those connections a lot more clear. If I can really put out those ideas, sometimes they may not work. Sometimes I just will float ideas out there. Every once in a while, I'll catch myself just saying something kind of I don't know, crazy, or things that I don't think necessarily makes sense, but just to get a reaction from my co host, just to see what floats what doesn't. But as far as professionalism, if you're talking about the show, I mean, I'm always trying to improve, always trying to make things sound better, trying to eliminate all those ums and uhs, and really try to give you a good conversation, good solid conversation, and especially not one where people are talking over each other and just being a bunch of yahoos like that. Nobody needs that. Let's make it sound very civil. Let's try to have a very nice educational conversation where we can bring up our points and just have a good time doing it, and hopefully people will be entertained by it as well as maybe learn a thing or two. Sound like Bill Cosby when I say that, and not the creepy Bill Cosby, but I'm talking about like the Cosby Show original Bill Cosby.
Speaker 17: This is Bill Cosby coming at you with music and fun, and if you're not careful, you may learn something before it's done.
Speaker 2: I guess my last question is my quiet. If you weren't doing podcasting, what would you be doing.
Speaker 1: I do have a day job, so I would be doing the day job, and I would probably be doing more writing. I would probably use some of the time that I used for podcasting to do more writing. I don't know who I would be writing for, but I would definitely be writing for myself. And then maybe I would try to get further into the field of audio commentaries, because those are a lot of fun when I've done those. I'm counting hopefully that in seven years I will be able to retire, hang out with my wife Moore, she retired earlier this year, maybe actually have some fun, go on some vacations, those kind of things, but also work on the podcast a lot more than I already do, because I always feel that I could make it better, that I could be looking forward even more, and who knows, just even being the number of episodes that I do, I don't know. But yeah, I've got the day job that keeps me very busy. I'm in the car by seven o'clock every morning, out of the car by six pm every night, and working at a desk from eight to five ish every single day. So yeah, it's that keeps me very very busy. What instrument did you play in band and band? I played the clarinet when I was younger. When I was about five years old, I think my mom started taking me four piano lessons and we had an upright piano in our house. So I played piano, probably not as long as I think I did five six years something like that, I don't remember how long, and then in I think it was sixth grade going into seventh Definitely, by the time I was in seventh grade, I was in band at school and had a great time. The clarinet is a lot of fun a lot of boring parts though for the clarinet, when it came to some of the songs that we would do, so I'd always enjoy listening to the trumpets and kind of double their parts on the clarinet, which I probably shouldn't have been doing, but you get bored a little. So I did have a lot of fun in well. I had a lot of fun in the first year of high school being in marching band and some phonic band, marching during the fall, some phonic during the winter after football season was over. And had a great, great teacher when I was a freshman. Unfortunately, my school district was very reliant on a god. This is going to make me sound like I live in Pittsburgh or something, but we're very reliant on a steel mill and the steel mill. Sometimes there would be a millage that would pass, sometimes there wouldn't, and when it kind of depended on how well the steel mill was doing. And when the millage didn't pass, that means that we didn't have very much money for school, so they would cut things out like band. So they cut that teacher who I liked so much, put in somebody who came over from the junior high and he pretty much just wanted to do the same songs every single week at our football games. Very rudimentary songs for Symphonic Band suffered through him for a year. They got another band teacher and I just could not stand to her whatsoever. Again, we were doing more of a glidestep than our traditional high step that we would do that was very much based on what U of M would do. And actually, I take it back, you know what I so I quit band. Where maybe I got kicked out of band, I think it was more of a quit, especially when I found out that that band instructor from when I was a junior blackballed me from the Honor Society. So I wasn't able to get into that. Me and another kid who cheat hit on tests. So I guess just being a bad citizen was enough to get me out, and I guess his citizenship probably wasn't that great for him either, But so yeah, two of the kind of people in the top twenty or so of students weren't an Honor Society because we were bad kids. Just to clarify, the other kid cheated, I just was an asshole. So I wasn't in band when I was a senior, and I did do I think one semester of band when I was in college, but I don't remember us doing any performing at all, and we're just kind of a smaller group. Had nothing to do with the marching band. That would have been kind of a dream to get into that, though, again a lot of work. Back when I was in a lot better shape. I could hold up that knee and hold that clarinet at the same time and just stand there for forever, it felt like, without having to put down that foot and switch it up to the other knee and go from there. Yeah, very disciplined in marching band.
Speaker 2: I know you've said that you don't read fast, which makes me feel great about myself because I'm a very slow reader. But how do you manage to interview so many authors and be so fully prepared, because it's clear you've read their books.
Speaker 1: Every night before I go to bed, I try to read a few pages and try to get really the gist of everything that's going on. But I will try to read books as much as I possibly can before I speak with an author. If there's an audio book, that makes things a lot easier. Also, if they send me like a PDF file, that makes things a lot easier. So I'm not holding a book in my hands, I'm just holding a iPad or whatever makes it a little simpler when it comes to reading. But yeah, I just also try to make sure that I'm starting reading things at the right time and giving myself a few weeks to read things, just to make sure that I'm not rushing. At the very end, as I am recording this, I'm about to jump on a call with Barbara Creed, author of The Monsters Feminine. I read Monsters Feminine, but I didn't read all of her books, so hopefully she didn't suddenly change horses mid stream and say, you know what, I guess I was wrong. Maybe there is an objection, maybe things are a little bit different. But I really just wanted to talk to her about her and about her work, and about objection, and about some of the movies that we have coming up for October. I'm excited to hear what she has to say about those. But yeah, mostly it is trying to start reading at the right time and then trying to be as disciplined as I can to make sure that I read at least a few pages every night before I go to bed, or before I switch over and start playing Plants Versus Zombies two or something.
Speaker 18: Hello everyone, this is Marvin McDowell. I just want to say that this is a request to listeners of the Projection Booth podcast to become patrons of the show via Patreon dot com p A T e n dot com slash Projection Booth. That's pretty simple.
Speaker 4: I think you can do that.
Speaker 18: It's a great show and Mike he provides hours of great entertainment. So now it's time to give back my little drovies. Settle down and take a listen and have a sip of the old Molocco and then you'll be ready for a little of the.
Speaker 19: Old in out, in out real horror show.
Speaker 15: Bye bye.
Speaker 2: I apologize that this one's already been asked, but every time you hear the spot with Malcolm McDowell, I'm blown away. And how did you make that happen? Like, did you write the script? Did you just ask him? Did you pay him? Do you have blackmail material on him? How did that all come together?
Speaker 1: That was a cameo. I don't remember how much I paid for him to do the cameo. Kind of the same thing with Ed Begley Junior. I don't know. You probably since you are a Patreon you probably saw the Ed Begley Junior spot ed. Begley Junior refused at first to do it because he thought he was talking about Patron, uh the liquor, but no, actually he was talking about Patreon the service. Same thing with Malcolm McDowell also a cameo with him. I well, actually with both of them, I just kind of gave them the idea of where we wanted to go. And with McDowell towards the end of the little script, because it's a very small amount of words you can put into one of those notes through cameo, I think I basically made a little tiny reference to clockwork Orange. I might have used the word drew, or I might have said something in there like right right or something like that, and he picked up on that and made it into a whole thing. And yeah, I'm just super happy that he did that for me, And yeah, I think it's a great ad. And you know, guys freaking professional, so I was very happy with the way that it turned out. So no, didn't actually have very much personal contact with him and whatsoever. I just basically asked him to record a spot for me, and that's what he did. So no dirty pictures of him or anything.
Speaker 2: Like that. So, Mike, if you could make a movie, what kind of movie would you make? And I guess the follow up is, do you have any screenplays that you've written that are sitting around collecting dust?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: I have had a few ideas for a couple of movies flowing around in my head for a while. I wrote one out as a short story, and the other one is just still kind of in my head. I don't want to talk too much about those because I would still like to write those one of these days. But one of them is more of a historical epic about Copernicus, and the other one is more of a kind of fits into that like paper Moon, Oh Brother, Whereat, they'll throw back to the thirties depression era kind of things, maybe based a little bit on our gang Slash the Little Rascals. Those are just ideas that I've had. And then I mean, if I was given carte blanche and able to make any type of movie I would want to, I mean, it would probably be it would probably be fairly out there.
Speaker 2: I would hope.
Speaker 1: I can't even say some of the films that I would like to emulate, just because they are done so well, and I don't have the faith in myself as an artist to say that I would do nearly as well. You know, there's only one American astronaut. There's only one Greasy Strangler. You know, there's these movies that you hold in high esteem and you wish that your stuff could be as good as them. But really not much of a filmmaker, even when I was younger. Made a few movies in college, but they're pretty silly. I think the thing that I still like is doing who do you think You're fooling? And that was just because I have so much fun when it comes to editing and the juxtaposition of images, and really that's what I like so much when it comes to certain films, especially experimental films, is really good editing.
Speaker 2: So it's really clear that you and Elliott Gould have a very good rapport and he interviews with you very well. What's holding up the ELI eight Gould book? Do we need to send Malcolm mcdoll over to twist his arm?
Speaker 1: I think the thing that's holding me up the most is just time and spending so much time working on the podcast, doing the day job. I have done a lot of research on it. I still have all my notes from going over to the University of Michigan and looking at the California Split papers, the well, it's the Altman collection, So California Split, Mash and the Long Goodbye still have all the materials that I put together. I still will ask people if they've been in things with Gold what that experience was like. Still kind of tracking down some folks when it comes to that. I would love to just take a week or two and fly out to Los Angeles and hang out with Elliott and just ask him a ton of questions, get as much out of him as I possibly could. Though, if you've listened to some of those interviews, you know that he is kind of obtuse when it comes to some of his answers. So I still feel like he's kind of fucking with me when it comes to some of the discussions that we've had. I am hoping to have another interview with him again in twenty twenty six. Really want to do an episode on the film Matilda, kind of more of the darker days of his nineteen seventies career. But I really that's the thing is that the nineteen seventies and him were such an interesting period of time for me just to see this actor who wasn't a traditional leading man type and the way that he broke in the way that he was so popular, and just all the different types of movies he made throughout the entire decade. I would love to have done that with Donald Sutherland as well, but yeah, his person was a real piece of work. Had no idea why I would have wanted to talk to him about Elliott Gould or some of these movies, having no idea that her client was in multiple movies with Elliott.
Speaker 13: Gould, not just mash.
Speaker 1: So take that as you will.
Speaker 2: So it's clear you've definitely gone past your ten thousand hours and analyzing films and scripts and stories. And I'm always impressed the way you and Chris and even Father Malone can just off the cuff come up with a suggestion that would make a bad film so much better. Do you ever have filmmakers come to you and ask you for advice or help analyzing their scripts films in progress?
Speaker 1: And never had anybody come to me and ask me to take a look at well, actually I take that back. I had one friend who asked me to look at a script years and years ago. I believe it was about a horror host and the script was great. I think I gave some feedback. I'm pretty terrible when it comes to feedback because I remember there was the executive editor of a magazine. Before he started the magazine, he came to me and said, you know, you've been doing Cashier's to cinemat for all these years. What advice would you give to a person who wanted to start a magazine? And my advice was don't. It's a thankless job. It's expensive, it's pretty harrowing, there's not a lot of upside to it, a lot of long nights, a lot of worry about things, the distribution of things. And then of course he turned around and did a magazine and it's actually still going today, so fuck me right. So I feel like he probably thinks I'm the biggest dumbass in the world, which I will not deny. As far as looking at films and progress, I have given notes on mostly documentaries things that friends have made, But a lot of times no, I would say, there are a lot of things where I'm like, oh, you know, I would love to give you some feedback about this or take a look at it. No, No, people don't ask me for advice, so I think my track record of giving bad advice must precede me.
Speaker 2: Okay, last question, it's kind of an important one. Did Joshthan Kaplan actually ever send you that truck turner blu ray?
Speaker 1: Yes, you're making a reference to when Jonathan Kaplan passed away recently, and I said that I never spoke with him, well, never had an interview with him. I exchanged some emails with him, really wanted him to be on the show, really wanted to talk with him around over the edge. I would have loved to have talked to him about truck turner. And he did say, you know, give me your address, I'll send you a blu ray of truck turner. I don't know why. He must have just had a big old stash or something, because it was just kind of an odd thing to volunteer. So I gave him my address, and sure enough, he sent me a blu ray of truck turner. I don't even know if he signed it, but yeah, it was a nice gesture, and I really wish that he would have been able to take the time to talk with me about stuff, but you know, it was his choice and that's the way that things go. So I know some people don't like to revisit the past, which is very bad for me and what I like to do.
Speaker 13: Solid podcast with great deep dive reporting, although definitely not for beginners. Deducting one staff for completely missing the historical background behind nineteen eighty four and going straight for trite modern political comparison instead.
Speaker 1: Ben Buckingham asks, when do we get a projection booth calendar? As far as a projection booth calendar, I tried that once, but me and a fireman's outfit with no shirt on, just the suspenders. That was too much. It melted the lens of the camera. It was just too hot. So probably no projection booth calendar coming out anytime soon, if I suppose now, because I don't make anything. You know, it's not like I draw, It's not like I have any sort of visual skills whatsoever. I would just be lifting images from other movies or things, or maybe four months off. It could be some of the logos that we've had over the years, But probably no projection booth calendar anytime soon. Instead, Yah, I recommend the Jeopardy Page a day calendar, which is what I have on my desk at work, gets me entertained and makes me feel superior to everyone.
Speaker 9: Robert Mains asks what is left for you to do to get the two thousand and one episode out the door?
Speaker 1: So with the two thousand and one episode, I have been working with an editor over in Poland for the last let's see it is coming up on October. I've been working with him for well, We've been working together on different things for a few years. He posted originally on Reddit and was asking about editing people's podcast episodes, and I said, well, if you want that, and I've done this before with other people where they will say, oh, I want to learn more about editing, I will edit your episode for free. And I go, okay, I'm not counting on you to actually do this or anything, but here's a folder with all of these files go nuts, and I just will share out like a dropbox folder and say, here you go, here's my deadline. Good luck. And I would say, if I've done it ten times, nine people have failed. One person has actually come through and edited stuff for me. He actually has edited a few episodes. It's been a long time since he's done one of those for me. I can't even remember the last time, but either he reached out to me or I reached out to him and I said, hey, listen, I have got so much material and this is not generated fully by me. This I would say, maybe I've done a tenth of this work and the other ninety percent is all coming from Mondo Justin. And I said, I've got so much material around this two thousand and one episode, I would love for you to edit that for me, and we agreed to a price, and ever since then, he's been doing gosh, I don't even know how many hours of editing every single month, and then throwing files into my dropbox for me, penging me saying okay, I've done this much, I need this much money. So every month I've been paying him regularly, so I think I've gotten until the end of the year before he thinks he'll be done with that stuff, and then it's up to me to piece all of these things together. I mean, the interview with Gary Lockwood that Mondo Justin did, that was a two parter and I think the final total was five hours. Though that's not all two thousand and one stuff. There's maybe I don't know. I'm going to guess an hour of two thousand and one. Gary Lockwood was very loquacious when it came to that interview, and I did listen to it all I've listened to I think all of these interviews, threw them onto my phone and listened to them in the car on the way back and forth to work. And it was just way too much that way for me to say, Okay, at one hour, fifteen minutes, there's a good bit here, at two hours thirty minutes, there's a good but here. So I have been working with this editor to say, okay, whenever there's a discussion of two thousand and one, pull that out, label it as what it is in reference to, and then I will start to pull all those things together. I mean, this episode, when it finally comes out, is going to be a monster. It's kind of like the Psycho Pike episode, which is also going to be pretty monstrous. No one's asking for a Psycho Pike episode, but I'm doing it anyway. Kind of the same thing with the two thousand and one episode. I mean, who needs to hear more about two thousand and one? But hopefully it'll be entertaining for folks, And again, possibly educational.
Speaker 12: I love this film, but it's ruined when a bunch of useless, worthless leftists are whining about how easy it is to get guns in America. I used to like all the research that went into PB episodes. Clearly you are part of the problem. Brace yourself. It's going to a whole lot worse for you leftists.
Speaker 1: And now it is time for everyone's favorite part of every ego fest, which is where I just go through and read the names of people who are currently giving to the Patreon. I always appreciate that, so I always want to give folks a shout out. You know, I don't do the whole thanks to my Patreon supporters. I should probably do thanks to the new people every single time I do an episode, but I am terrible at remembering to do that. So instead, I'm going to sit here and I'm going to read one hundred and twenty eight names of people. So get ready, in the words of Richard HadAM, here we go. First up, Kyler Faye, Jordan Nash, Andrew Hendrickson, James Brummel. It's either Quixote or Keyshotte Dallas Novell, Bryan Tessitore, John Adam Andre Edou, Radio eight Ball, Jessica Shires, Peter Rogers, pat Radkey, r E Jasso, Charles Evans Junior. Also a great interview that I had this year.
Speaker 20: R W.
Speaker 1: Lovejoy, Bjorn Honnor, Jim Lakowski, Victor Laval, Stewart, Rankin Winter, Tyson, Ellis Kish, Vincenzo Natali, John Jenks, Journey Eman, Estee Podcast, Stephen Byrne, James Grant, Daniel Davis, Alan Goldhammer, Mondo Guano, Dylan Harrington, Kevin Matthews, Yoshi Logano, Butterball eight, Vaughn Howard A. Rodman, Charlie Bonomo, Bobby Power, David Hines, David Springfield, Chris Martz, Drew A. Yavor, Jonathan Melville, Paul Ryan, Tino Wicklan, Thiago Barbosa, De Miranda, Jim Stevens, Dylan Davis, Collen Gallagher, Nico Schmidt, isal Azam Quersci, Drew Bateman, Gabe Weissert, Nathan Linker, Jason Jeffers, Gabe Kaplan, Ludo Round, Richard Wellens, Noel Thingball, Douglas Stewart, Sam Degan, Sean Midas, David McCallum, Geez Andrew, Ian Brownell, Jim Haniel Barbosa, Chris Martin, Michael Harris, Gabrielle Wheeler, George Smith, Regurgitated Guts, Neil Daniel, Gary Jaffey, Joshua Baugash, could be Boat, gay Gie Lb, Michael Marks, Tickles, the Lish, Ramsey, Ebed, Bill Ackerman, Eric Luther, David Hart, k l Young, Unkie d Seven Rufus, Heather Draine, Justin Whiteman, j A. Daniel Cunningham, Casey Campbell, Craig Russell, Aggie Nope, Alex Manzanowitz, b R. Bickford, Michael Jico, Joe Rucard, Henry Cooper, Glenn Brynn, Skiz, Sizzick, Boots, Century, Sir, Alvin Akarma, Michael O'Connor, Shane Hamilton, Eric Highgraf, Andreas Muller, Mark Mcleegat, Morris, Darren Williams, aod O Mahoney, Kai Clear, Brian Daniel Dahl, William Boodle, Ale Sair Montgomery, Jason Kaufman, David Bertrand, Hugh Bouchard, Paul Sibson, Shandon Baht, Susan White, Lutz, Backer, Monica Sheets, the ex Cast, Patrick Lohmeyer, Martin Johansson or Johansson Wake Up Heavy, and Gray Cat. Thank you to all of you for giving your hard earned money to the projection booth every month. I cannot thank you enough for participating and just really helping make the show go. Obviously, things are not getting cheaper these days, so I totally understand that it's tough to make ends meet for everybody.
Speaker 14: One of the oldest movie podcasts and still one of the best. Really appreciate the variety of subjects they cover. Has exposed me to films that I sometimes didn't know existed. Always germane and erudite guests. The recent discussion on the state of podcasting and the new documentary age of audio covering it was fascinating to listen to. I'm a big supporter of Mike White's side projects as well, over seven hundred and fifty episodes in a remarkable achievement.
Speaker 1: One thing that should help is that I dislike the stat that we're getting from our podcast company. So I ended up firing the person that provided the stats. Then I'm going to hire a new person that only gives me good statistics. I figure, if it's good enough for the federal government, it's good enough for me, so might as well work in that way of just getting good numbers. Maybe that'll bump the advertising. Speaking of advertising, I did want to shout out Scarecrow Video dot Com for becoming a sponsor of the Projection booth. That has been very helpful. Hopefully folks don't mind those intros at the beginning, in the middle, and then at the end of our shows as we tout scarecrows rent by mail service. It's almost like another service that used to exist that didn't cost nearly as much as it does now and that only deals in streaming. Ah Man, I love physical media and I'm glad that Scarecrow is still supporting it, and I'm so glad that so many companies are supporting it. I just wish it was a little easier to know what stuff is coming out when I still am using Diabolic DVD for that as well as DVD Beaver. I hope everybody within the sound of my voice is familiar with both of those sites. And then as far as what is streaming, where I've been using one called just Watch, which is just frustrating sometimes to see how little things that you actually want to see are streaming any place, or especially streaming without having to pay for stuff you know, Oh yeah, if you want to see this movie, pay us another five dollars you're already paying for Amazon Netflix. I found out last night that HBO Max is starting to come down on password sharing, so there goes my access to that. But at least there's things still like Canopy and Overdrive and some of these other systems that will help when you have library cards. So if you don't have a library card and then you're in the US, highly recommend getting one of those, as long as Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman don't come along and look at your view history, because that could be embarrassing.
Speaker 18: Just because if the fucker's got a library card doesn't make him Yoda.
Speaker 1: Speaking of, if people want to see what I'm watching, feel free to follow me over on Letterbox. I try to post everything that I'm watching over there. Though sometimes people think that the movies I'm watching are always for a show. They're not always necessarily for a show. Sometimes most of the time they are, But there's some stuff that I watch which will definitely never be part of a show. I'm thinking of the movie I watched last night called Primitive War. Holy Shit.
Speaker 4: That was.
Speaker 19: Another good podcast Ruined by politics, taking shots at Trumpers and red hats for no reason except it's the thing to do. Mike can't seem to help himself. Lord knows. No one will comment on the current administration. Don't know why it's so tough for film podcasts to not get political.
Speaker 20: I got the blue, but I don't bad. All I have to do is get to give, and then I feel just bad. I'm gonna die, but.
Speaker 21: Not all the way.
Speaker 22: When I feel that long, you do you think outside of that? I feel long gay yourself. The whey you get, you're the best the rig I got, just got it up so bad when I think of me, it's.
Speaker 5: Hard to be a person.
Speaker 20: By Josea, she got the.
Speaker 22: Answer and it makes the lad When I feel lets down, you're giving rocking rocks, but let I.
Speaker 3: Feel laid back.
Speaker 8: Your soul.
Speaker 21: Where you get the present rid stop easy step step.
Speaker 11: Sneak, stick step steak.
Speaker 23: Just as slave.
Speaker 3: But man.
Speaker 23: Shot shot shot.
Speaker 8: Generals w.
Speaker 23: Stott, change, change, freakin.
Speaker 24: Stooks that not.
Speaker 17: The son shack fevere you you the son of shape Breywhere.
Speaker 23: What you did?
Speaker 3: The son shak god weekend the fast.
Speaker 11: Sever you.
Speaker 24: Follow ships understand also.
Speaker 25: Show the sash.
Speaker 23: So bouch the cost of foots all shake the shape faster when the shi to the break