Speaker 1: They got me set up like I'm a serial killer.
Speaker 2: Right now, are you?
Speaker 3: No, I'm not.
Speaker 1: I'll pass any polygra if you throw at me, you know I have no reason to lie.
Speaker 4: If you passed him pushing your grocery card, you'd never know that inside his head he just thought about how to kill you.
Speaker 3: My daughter went on a run in the morning, and she's been gone a lot longer than I expected.
Speaker 5: There's no doubt in my mind he would have continued slaughtering young women and girls.
Speaker 3: The females jumped out of a white Julie.
Speaker 6: She needs an ambulance.
Speaker 7: She can't walk.
Speaker 5: It's like we have a predator in our neighborhood.
Speaker 8: You have the capacity to become a serial killer on a scale that is difficult to even imagine.
Speaker 9: Just southwest of Oklahoma City lies the tiny town of Anadarko, population six thousand.
Speaker 4: It's just your average rural Oklahoma town.
Speaker 6: I had a real high crime rate. Everybody's pretty laid back.
Speaker 4: There's not a lot there to miss or see.
Speaker 6: Really, when you meet somebody knew, you ask.
Speaker 4: Them who their people are, because you're going to know somebody in their family.
Speaker 9: Everyone in Anadarko knows Kathy Dobrie and her daughter Tiffany.
Speaker 7: My name is Kathy Dobrie and I'm the mother of Tiffany Debrie Johnston. She's always with me before she got married. She was my shadow everyone, That's what everyone called her. Tiffany was very energetic, loving, caring, hyper. She cared about everyone. She liked animals, She liked to play in the dirt. She wanted to study the plan and see what they how they were formed, and want to have you because she could grow just about anything. She said her mind to.
Speaker 6: Tiffany and I became friends in junior high.
Speaker 4: I was new to town, new to the area, and uh didn't really know anybody, didn't have any friends, didn't have much going for me, and uh, Tiffany was the type of person that was going to take care of you.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 4: She just decided she was going to be my friend since I didn't have any Her and I were friends from then on.
Speaker 9: Shortly after graduating high school, Tiffany marries her childhood sweetheart.
Speaker 7: She said she was back madly in love with Ryan and all girls should marry their first sweetheart. She was determined to get married, and she did.
Speaker 9: The young couple moved to nearby Bethany Ryan is Floyd did a manufacturing plant. Well, nineteen year old Tiffany works two jobs so she could afford a new car.
Speaker 7: She traded her car, yeah, on her new white Neon. She was so proud of that. She's always cleaning it out or washing it or because she was proud of it. Was something that she worked for that she got.
Speaker 9: On July twenty sixth, nineteen ninety seven, the newlyweds planned to meet at a club after work.
Speaker 7: Jiffany had gotten off work and then she went and cleaned out her car or worceshed her car because it was hers and Ryan's three month anniversary.
Speaker 10: I was actually working patrol at that time and I drove by the Sunshine car wash. There's about four vehicles that were there, people still washing their car, and I did observe a white vehicle in the furthest West stall that had no one around it. It was about forty five minutes later I was again driving by that car wash, and now there were no vehicles other than that one white car in the far west stall and there was nobody around the car. We did not see anyone around the car wash at all. Detective Mobley looked in the passenger side, and he advised me that the keys to the vehicle were still in the ignition. That kind of raised our concern, so we started look into it a little deeper. Myself and Mobley made entry into the vehicle to try to find a phone number or name of someone that we might be able to contact. We did end up locating the number with the word mom on it.
Speaker 7: The police department called around midnight. I wanted to know Tiff and he had a white car, and if I knew where she was, I started calling people. I knew that she might go to. No one had hard from her, no one had seen her. And this is like at two o'clock in the morning. So by the time we got up here at the car wash, they had everything blocked off down deep. You knew that with all her personal belongings in her pit her car, that she had been adopted and she was probably not alive.
Speaker 9: A frequent visitor to the car wash is thirty eight year old William Reese, who Kathy knows from his time in Anadarko.
Speaker 7: He was always in trouble. He he stole vehicles, he stoved from grocery stores or what have you he.
Speaker 6: Had been in jail. He'd already been in prison.
Speaker 4: He had just gotten out shortly before this happening.
Speaker 8: So William Reese was born in nineteen fifty nine in Oklahoma, and so it was a pretty depressed area that he grew up in. He had a difficult upbringing, unstable childhood. He was one of thirteen children. He was in foster care system for a while. He was forced to quit school in the ninth grade and go to work. So this is somebody, I think who got a pretty tough start in life. There was probably a combination of neglect with so many siblings and there being a lot of financial instability, and I think it would have been a pretty harsh upbringing in a lot of respects. There was a lot of suspicions that he was in views at some point.
Speaker 11: Thirteen siblings, a family background, being moved around. You have lots of negative risk factors in front of Reece.
Speaker 8: That marriage does not last very long, and it doesn't. It fizzles out pretty quickly because of how we and Racee is treating his wife. He's drinking and he's physically abusive to her and she ends the relationship. This is somebody who for whatever reason, doesn't respect women feels entitled to behave. However, he wants to likely blames everything that's wrong in his life on other people, and those are things that do not bode well in terms of his relationship with other women in the future or his ability to adjust and adapt effectively to life as an adult. His ex wife said that he was unusually close to his mom, and even she'd made the combat at one point that she felt like his mom was so protective of him that quote, you know, if he kills somebody, she would help him hide the body.
Speaker 9: It's one day since Tiffany Dobrie went missing with her car left at a Bethany carwash around fifty miles away. Oklahoma City police make a gruesome discovery while investigating their own missing person's case.
Speaker 10: As they were investigating that scene, they canvassed the area and then ended up finding Tiffany's body on that same road about one hundred yards down.
Speaker 7: Ask yourself, who did it? Why would someone want to kill TiO.
Speaker 4: You didn't think about your friend just getting murdered for no reason out in the middle of nowhere like that.
Speaker 6: It just didn't happen.
Speaker 10: The thing that always kind of bothered me the most is that Tiffan and Ryan they just started their lives together and within three months it got taken away. If they had their full life together, what would have come of that?
Speaker 7: And so we went down a list of people for the police to check out because we didn't know what else to do, and if the first thing that Mama thought of to so I can't that it didn't enter our minds, because it did. You don't know if he was really at work or not. You know, he could have took off.
Speaker 10: In any case where you have someone that has disappeared, you know, you always you always got to start with people that are close and family members. So absolutely he was looked at.
Speaker 9: Police soon determined Tiffany was last seen alive shortly after six pm on July twenty seventh. Her husband was at work from three pm until eleven pm, and is cleared of any suspicion. Bethany police conducted a background check on local sex offenders, including William Or. They find no evidence linking him to the crime scene. Tiffany's mother knows Reese's mother, who offers to prepare Tiffany's clothes for her funeral.
Speaker 7: Her name with pat She wasn't a friend, but she was an acquaintance because she did my ironing and what have you for me? And so we took Tiffany's clothes down to her for her to press some for us, because she called and said she would do that.
Speaker 8: In nineteen eighty six, he kidnaps a woman and he rapes her. And at that point, I think he has taken a hard turn in his life, because now he is making choices that the vast majority of people would never make. He's become a criminal, He's become a predator.
Speaker 10: He was driving a truck and going to pick up a load, and he picked her up and rude. Her car broke down under a overpass, and he stopped and asked if she needed help. He kept on her and then she finally agreed and got in the truck with him.
Speaker 9: Reese is arrested but released after posting bail. He a tax agan.
Speaker 5: One month later, he rapes one woman while he's awaiting trial for raping another one. I don't know how you get any more of a definition of a predator than that.
Speaker 9: Both of these victims survive their ordeal and have their identities protected. Re stands trial on two counts of rape. He has found guilty and sentenced to twenty five years in prison.
Speaker 11: For an individual who is inside of a correctional institution for years, that day is filled with border. Our environment creates our propensity to be involved in crime.
Speaker 2: Well, just think of it.
Speaker 11: You're surrounded by other people who have committed crimes. One learns to associate with certain people. One has to protect themselves. Inside of a correctional institution a lot of time to think.
Speaker 9: Reese's attorneys claim errors were made during his trial, and after serving ten years of his twenty five year sentence, convicted rapist, Reese is released early. He briefly lives with his mother and Anna Darko before moving seven hours away to Houston, Texas.
Speaker 3: My daughter went on a run this morning, and she's been gone a lot longer than I'm perfected in play good, Bob Feather.
Speaker 9: Twelve year old Laura Smither goes for a jog in her friends With Texas neighborhood and never returns home.
Speaker 5: I'd never seen anything quite like this before. I mean, you had people from everywhere coming out of the woodwork for this young girl. They were going through the fields, they were searching in bodies, of water everywhere.
Speaker 9: Laura's body is found seventeen days later in a retention pond in nearby Pasadena.
Speaker 5: That today I will never forget because you had a father and son. They were out there, they were training a hunting dog. Hunting dog hits on something in the water. Father and son go out there to see what's going on. And this is the part that I mean, just so chilling, because the dad looked at the sun and says, I wonder what kind of animal that is? And the son looks back at the dad and says, animals don't wear socks. William Reese became a suspect early on because he was a convicted second out of Oklahoma, and that's fairly standard. When you have a child disappear like this, police start looking at registered sex offenders in the area. More than that, Reese had a construction job near this spot. It got rained out the morning Laura disappeared, so he would have been going home and that would have put him along her route about the time she disappeared. There were fibers that were found that matched formats in his truck. The fibers were unique, but they weren't so incredibly unique that It's like, Okay, these fibers could only possibly have come from William Reese's truck. It wasn't unique enough. And honestly, fibers are not DNA. A lot of that evidence had been destroyed because Laura was left in water.
Speaker 8: This is a twelve year old child, and what that tells me is one of two things. Either William Reese did not recognize how young she was when he grabbed her. I don't believe that. Number two is that this is somebody who is sexually interested in this age group and is willing to take advantage of an opportunity and rape and murder somebody who is that innocent and that young.
Speaker 9: While under police suspicion and within their custody, Reese speaks with the Texas News Channel to profess his innocence.
Speaker 1: Who they gonna look at first, an ex con, especially if you've done hard time, You're gonna be a number one suspect.
Speaker 6: No matter what.
Speaker 1: And if they can't find nobody, you're gonna be their Patsy.
Speaker 9: Sandra sa Paul, a nineteen year old pregnant mother, comes face to face with William Reese just south of Houston.
Speaker 5: She goes into a convenience store. And she comes out of the convenience store. See she has a flat tire. A supposed good Samaritan comes along. Oh, let me help you out with that tire. Boom grabs her, tosses her into the truck, takes off down the freeway.
Speaker 8: The fact that William Race acts so quickly after his race in prison suggests to me that this is somebody who has thought about this and fantasized about this for nine years. While behind bars, he tells her to take her clothes off. She bends down to take her shoes off and notices that the car door is unlocked, and she, at that point makes a very important decision.
Speaker 11: This may be my last opportunity. The more secluded, the more away, the more the person is going to their environment rather than being in my environment, takes the advantage away from you.
Speaker 8: I would rather die jumping out of this car and leaving my fate in my own hands, than suffer whatever is about to happen if I stay with this man.
Speaker 4: The females jumped out of a white duly unknown LP left feet headed forty five mark bound.
Speaker 7: She needs an ambulance. He can't walk, and we.
Speaker 3: Got an Antley.
Speaker 9: With Sandra now safe, police begin questioning her, hoping that can find her kidnapper before he attacks again. Twenty year old Kelly Anne Cox goes missing in Denton, Texas.
Speaker 5: Kelly Cox was a beautiful, single mom college student in what is essentially kind of a college town of Denton, Texas. She had just wrapped up a school field trip. She was studying the area of criminal justice, and she stopped at this convenience store and unfortunately that's where she crossed paths with William Race. She has vanished into thin air. And that's what's again so frightening about all of this.
Speaker 8: It's somewhat mind boggling on the one hand that William Race continues his killing spree after Sandra s Paul manages to get out an escape. William Race is so focused on finding young women that kind of fit his prototype and sexually assaulting them abducting them that he's not even concerned about Sandra se Paul. He is thinking about his next victim and finding her.
Speaker 9: Kelly Ane Cox's disappearance in Denton, Texas is around three hours away from Tiffany and Oklahoma. At the time of Tiffany's abduction, Kathy Doughbrie has no idea of these other cases. Seventeen year old high school student Jessica Cain goes missing near Houston, just.
Speaker 5: Like the others, had her entire life ahead of her high school student with friends after a school event. Jessica was always very well behaved, never violated curfew anything like that. So when she didn't come home one time, her parents were instantly worried and her truck was found parked on the side of Interstate forty five. Like Laura, it was like she just fell into a hole in the universe, just vanished into thin air. But the truck was there, purse was in the front seat, didn't even really appear there was any.
Speaker 6: Kind of a struggle.
Speaker 10: Oh, it's terrifying.
Speaker 5: It's like we have a predator in our neighborhood. People in the area were like, who is hunting our children?
Speaker 11: What we have as an apex predator an individual that has opportunity combined with skills and additionally being punished for the criminal act in the past, but not being deterred.
Speaker 8: I have always thought that the killing part of it for him was more pragmatic that I'm not going to leave a victim to point their finger at me again. My needs are more important than anybody else's, and I'm going to make sure that nobody's left to identify me.
Speaker 9: Kathy Doughbray still has no idea who killed her daughter. Police have no suspects and don't suspect William Reese is involved, But four hundred and fifty miles away in Texas, kidnapp survivor Sandra say Paul is now facing him in a lineup. He's being asked to repeat the lines Sandra heard her kidnapp or shout, you.
Speaker 2: Cannot explain you.
Speaker 1: Yah.
Speaker 9: The net is closing around Reese and Texas, But will he be linked to the murder of Tiffany Johnston four hundred and fifty miles away. Three months after the murder of Tiffany Johnston, Sandra Sepaul has identified William Reese as her kidnapper four hundred and fifty miles away in Texas, As authorities gather evidence to prosecute him, the owner of the Sunshine car wash where Tiffany was last seen, recognizes Reese in news reports. He tells Oklahoma police that Reese is a frequent customer, but investigators still have no way of linking Reese to the crime.
Speaker 10: We checked people that lived in the area that had serious criminal histories, and none of those came to fruition. No forensic evidence at that time, and there weren't cameras in that area that we could rely on for evidence purposes. So it truly came to where we believed whoever committed this came from outside of the community.
Speaker 9: Bethany Police passed the case to the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation, but still no leads. Nine months passed by, and Tiffany's mother, Kathy Dobrie, makes a solemn vow.
Speaker 7: We had lots of redbirds around that day and were we live is American Indians, and I'm Party Indians, and we believe in the redbirds. When the redbirds come to see you as a visit from your loved one from heaven. I told her that I would find who murdered her and get justice for her because what just wasn't right. They took away my youngest child.
Speaker 4: If something were to ever happen to anyone in my immediate family, Kathy is the first person I'm calling to start looking into it.
Speaker 6: She does not know how to give up. She does not.
Speaker 4: Quit and she knew that one day we would get there. We just didn't know when.
Speaker 9: Each anniversary of Tiffany's murder is met with an eerie coincidence.
Speaker 7: Every year, on Tiffany's anniversary date, which is July the twenty sixth, there would be little necklaces, bracelets, and we'd gather these up. We didn't touch them. We put on gloves like you're supposed to, and would give them to the OSBI.
Speaker 10: It was concern of members of the department, and I think it's part of the family that the suspect might have been the one leaving these trinkets.
Speaker 4: They would just show up every year at the same time, and nobody would ever own up to.
Speaker 6: Putting them there.
Speaker 9: Cathy's dogged determination finally gets results in her daughter's cold case. Advanced DNA testing is performed using the evidence collected from Tiffany's body. It reveals a partial profile of her killer. Investigators compare this to DNA swabs from her ex boyfriend's husband, colleagues, and even patron seen at the car wash the day of her murder. All are excluded. Yet to be tested is Anadarko resident William Lewis Reese, a known sex offender and frequent visitor to the car wash. Police also look for a link between Tiffany's killing and the crimes and Texas and realize a striking connection the Inner State forty five corridor.
Speaker 11: A perfect formula does come together to allow these criminal activities to take place. Access very important.
Speaker 6: So here you have an area.
Speaker 11: South of Houston, Texas before the very end in Galveston, and which one can be on the Interstate Highway and quickly be in another state or another part of this huge state of Texas, very quickly.
Speaker 8: In many respects, Texas is a serial killer's dream. You can go for miles and miles without seeing anybody. There's actually a part of Texas that is infamous for being called the Texas Killing Fields because they've discovered about thirty bodies of young women there that have been unsolved.
Speaker 4: Now we have a pattern, we have something to actually look at. So from this solid we have other cases that we can study along with ours to help get closure for all of them.
Speaker 5: It's a horribly frightening thing, especially as a father of two, to think that there are humans out there that walk around look at another human, go I want that I'm going to take that and they do.
Speaker 9: By January twenty fourteen, the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation is closing in on suspected serial killer William Lewis Reese and seeks to obtain his DNA. Reese is easy to locate. He was successfully convicted for the kidnap of Sandra Say Paul and is serving a sixty years sentence in a Texas prison.
Speaker 5: Sandra Say Paul is the reason the murders stopped. I give her an amazing amount of credit because she was brave enough to escape him, and she was brave enough to never ever waver or never be intimidated, never be too scared to identify him, and stick through that all the way to the end. He was convicted and the only reason no one else was murdered is because he went to prison, and that was because of Sandra Sea Paul.
Speaker 9: Authority Swabberese for his DNA and compare it to the partial profile taken from Tiffany's body. The results indicate Reese could be the killer.
Speaker 10: We believed that he was probably the person that did it. It was just finding that link to be able to put it all together. You want to do everything you can to find that link, and I mean, look, it took a decade for that link to finally come to fruition.
Speaker 9: Texas authorities discover another critical clue as they investigate the link between Reese and Tiffany's murder long distance phone cards.
Speaker 5: So he had these cards and he used one of them to make a phone call, and that was still in his truck when friends with police impounded it, and that wound up being some very key evidence that Oklahoma authorities used.
Speaker 8: Investigators go to William Rees and basically let him know that the gig is up and that you know, they have DNA linking him to Tiffany Johnston. And I think that at this point William Reese is somewhat panicked because he is well aware of the fact that Oklahoma has the death penalty, and so he is in prison in Texas at this point, and so I think he decided that if I'm cooperative with some of these other unsolved murders, perhaps I can avoid the death penalty in Texas and won't be extradited to Oklahoma to potentially face the death penalty there.
Speaker 9: With this new information linking Reese to Tiffany's murder, as a bargaining tool. Investigators questioned Reese about the murders of Laura Smither, Kelly Anne Cox, and Jessica Kain. He reveals where police can find the bodies of Jessica Kin and Kelly Ane Cox. His cooperation means Reese won't face the death penalty for these murders.
Speaker 6: He's a chess player. He knows how to use his ponds.
Speaker 4: He knows how to use his pieces, which pieces to sacrifice, when to get what he wants. And I feel that he has used his victims as those pieces and played them against law enforcement to gain favors. And I don't think that we will ever know how many of those pieces he has held.
Speaker 6: Back to play later.
Speaker 11: There's no reason to believe that there are not more that are out there. This is where further investigation can take place. But then there becomes a question for the individual. How much more information am I going to give you? If I'm already here for the rest of my life, what advantage do I have.
Speaker 9: Reese doesn't confess to any other murders. He claims he accidentally hit Laura Smither while she was jogging along the side of the road.
Speaker 12: I pick I even really real backwards cut her in a slowboard, a trip on the pass your side and the horde.
Speaker 2: Like getting a lad. The door took cough. I don't remember how I got out from where I was some danger park, the lady in the platter, and I went home.
Speaker 9: Reese doesn't say anymore about Kelly an Cox, just that he got into an altercation with her at a convenience store.
Speaker 2: Opened up my door, boom, I run right into her.
Speaker 13: Coke went all over me and we got into a chair, and she hit me with that coke.
Speaker 2: When I hit her, she hit her head. You know how your door opens up. Her head hit terror. She slipped back. She's out.
Speaker 13: I put her in the back seat. She never woke up. She wouldn't breathe or nothing. She never woke up, and I dug me at the little home put.
Speaker 2: Her in in.
Speaker 5: Reese confessed, but they were carefully crafted confessions to where he upheld his end of the bargain that I'll tell you what happened. But he never really fully told police what he did.
Speaker 8: When you listen to his confessions or you hear his confessions, it's just it's just amazing how he just storts clearly what happened they'll talk about murdering somebody, but they won't admit to assault sexual assault for some reason. Or they'll do what a lot of murderers do, which is fine ways to what we psychologists called neutralize their actions. So that might mean blaming the victim, which he definitely did. You know, Oh this person started it. We got into a match. You know, oh this person we got into some kind of argument about spilling coke on me. I can't think of a better description of somebody who has no compassion, empathy, or caring for his victims. They truly are objects for him to fulfill his sexual fantasies.
Speaker 9: Reese also claims an argument ensued with Tiffany Johnston at the car wash Nex thing.
Speaker 13: I know this girl is yelling at me that sprager. I don't think it's sprager, but she's cussing in everything. That's when I grabbed you around throat, he choking. She wouldn't move no more, and I shut the door and I backed out.
Speaker 2: They try to out such funny victims. I don't think so. Okay, I guess I don't think so kind of opens up. I mean, where spoil I mean for I know now.
Speaker 7: My bow was to find who murdered her and get justice for her.
Speaker 9: William Reese is convicted of the kidnapping and first degree murder of Tiffany Johnston. He is sentenced to death.
Speaker 7: The day that we got our conviction on Reese, the redbirds were lined up outside our house, on the light pole, off the way across the line, and.
Speaker 3: They were everywhere.
Speaker 7: Tiffany knew then that mama got justice. I'm persistent and like I said, she was my baby, and I made her a promise and I carried it out.
Speaker 6: He was ice cold, arrogant.
Speaker 4: When they showed the pictures of his victims' bodies of what he had done, he would smile and lick his lips.
Speaker 7: Kidney gave her live to help the parents in Texas brings some closure to them because if it hadn't have been for Tiffany's case, Texas wouldn't have had anything.
Speaker 9: Rees accepts a plea deal, and in addition to his current sentence for Sandra Sapau's kidnapping, he is sentenced to a further three life terms in a Texas prison for the murders of Jessica Cain, Kelly an Cox, and Laura Smither. William Reese is currently serving his prison sentences in Texas, so.
Speaker 5: He still owes the state of Texas time for Sandra Sapau's kidnapping and now for the murders of Laura, Jessica and Kelly Ann. There's an appeal process in Oklahoma. My sneaking suspicion is when he runs out of appeals in Oklahoma and they actually set a date for his execution, he will be extra guided back.
Speaker 7: We got justice for Tiffany in the court system that he's getting to do what he wants to. He can go to the library, he can work on it, horseshoes, leather, or whatever he wants to do. And that's not justice for Tiffany. How could someone that I run across knew his mom, How could he have done that?
Speaker 9: Kathy suspects it was Reese's mother, Patsy, leaving trinkets on Tiffany's grave.
Speaker 7: There's not a doubt in my mind that it was her, because I think she felt guilty because she knew that what her son had murdered Tiffany, and so that was her way of being at peace with the idea that she wouldn't talk to the police or wouldn't tell them every year you could guarantee there would be something out there, and even to this day, when't Tiffany's anniversary date comes around, we always check on the twenty six to see if anything has been placed on Tiffany's grave that we don't know, and nothing has showed up since Pat Diyed.
Speaker 4: I just want to know why we haven't been able to bring him back. I want to know why the DA will not sign off to have him brought back and put.
Speaker 6: On death row. He took my friend, he took one of the best people I've ever known in my life, and he robbed the world of something great.
Speaker 4: I don't know what her plans were after college, but whatever they were, she was going to be great at it.