Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI A M six forty, The Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: The lawn of the White House raising the big giant, beautiful American flag on that big giant new flagpole that he had built that he had a news conference a little bit earlier today. Took him a couple hours to get that thing up. One of the questions was is it going to be in the way of the helicopters that use the south lawn?
Speaker 3: And he said, no, they've done the measuring.
Speaker 1: Have you heard about the new George Lucas spaceship of a museum that has landed in La I've seen the picture. Looks pretty cool. Huh, very cool? Are you excited about it?
Speaker 3: We'll see? I mean, is it?
Speaker 2: What do you mean we'll see? Well, just because George Lucas doesn't mean it's going to be cool.
Speaker 1: What yeah, what name something George Lucas has done that's not cool?
Speaker 3: Okay? You got me know.
Speaker 1: It's okay that you're excited about it and you don't want to admit it, but I know you're excited.
Speaker 2: Down playing it. I'm trying to be cool. Yes, I said, Heat advisory extended through tonight. Heat advisory and effect through about eight o'clock tonight. Temperatures today similar to what we've seen in the last couple of days. Forecast in Palm Springs one eighteen one, eighteen one hundred and Santa Clarita eighty nine in Anaheim.
Speaker 3: To give you an idea.
Speaker 1: As we talked about yesterday, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals took up the fight between President Trump and Gavin Newsome when it comes to who gets to mobilize the California National Guard. Arguments questioning both Trump's decision to deploy the federal troops to LA and the court's right to review it came up yesterday. As you mentioned, this is probably going to head straight to the US Supreme Court. The panel of three judges on the Ninth Circuit, two appointed by Trump, one by Biden pressed hard on Trump's general assertion that he had unlimited discretion to deploy the military on American streets. There's a little thing that gets in the way, and it is called the Tenth Amendment, which turns out to be not such a little thing, and that is where the argument for Newsom lies.
Speaker 3: A couple things.
Speaker 2: Brett Shoemate, I think is how you say his name, argued on behalf of the Trump administration.
Speaker 4: Authorities are either unable unwilling to protect federal personnel and property from the mob violence ongoing in Los Angeles today. Under these conditions, the President acted well within his discretion and calling.
Speaker 2: Out the Guard, and then Samuel harbourt was arguing on behalf of the State of California every day that.
Speaker 4: This order remains in effect, it is causing harm for our nation's broader democratic tradition of separation of the military from civilian affairs.
Speaker 2: We mentioned this is the three judge panel. Two of the three judges appointed by Trump, one by former President Biden. One of the judges that one of the more conservative judges asked the state, even if we were to agree with you that that we have some ability to review the president's actions, where is the president required to have judicial review that he considered lesser measures before sending in the National Guard. The question, one of the arguments, was the president jumped to the most extreme measure he could take, which is calling in the National Guard, going around the governor basically before he did that, and the response from the California's Deputy Solicitor General was simply that it hasn't happened before, that something like this is very rare, and that it would pose a grave threat to the democratic tradition of the United States. That wasn't an argument necessarily, It wasn't even an answer to the question from the justice. It was just, well, this is we don't see this very often, So.
Speaker 1: Where do we stand with the deployments. Hundreds of Marines still stationed in LA will provide logistical support processing ICE detainees, according to a Pentagon spokesman, Sean Parnell. Under last week's executive order, the National Guard troops will remain deployed for sixty days. Even before that appellet panel yesterday, the lawyers for the president said that it was necessary to defend against the ongoing mob violence, which is a statement that is just meant to bolster their statements in court yesterday.
Speaker 2: By the way, you may have heard Amy mention this. At the top of the hour, President Trump deployed another two thousand National Guards members to the California area. He knew exactly what he's doing. He knew that this court hearing was going on because in all honesty, The work that the first couple thousand National Guards members have done has been great. They have protected the federal buildings, they have protected the federal personnel that have been used in some of these law enforcement operations, these immigration enforcement operations. He knew exactly what he was doing when he used yesterday as an opportunity to deploy two thousand and more.
Speaker 1: So unnecessary. There's nobody out there.
Speaker 3: It seems like it.
Speaker 2: I mean, even the mayor took off the curfew yesterday.
Speaker 1: We would know about it if things were going crazy, which they are not. You want to talk about George Lucas when we come back here, Let's talk about George Lucas. Are you sure you want to? I mean, you're not excited about it.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying it's not he's so excited about it.
Speaker 1: He's moving it up a segment. I'll say that. Okay, it's okay to be excited about something. It's okay. It doesn't mean you're not cool.
Speaker 2: If you miss any part of our show, you can always go back and check out the podcast. Wherever you find podcasts. We choose the iHeartRadio app, but wherever you find podcasts, just type in Gary and Shannon, our picture comes up. You can subscribe to the podcast, you can comment, you can rate it, you can share it.
Speaker 1: All the things, all of the things. You know what, I'm super excited about America's Sweethearts season two, about the see c landing today on Netflix. I'm excited about that, and I'm okay to admit it.
Speaker 3: The what.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KF I am six forty.
Speaker 1: Reilly enjoying Elmer's music of late.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, it's the duel of fits. I think it's when Anakin and Obi won No Darth mah.
Speaker 1: Okay, Keana, I did not know you were a Jedi when it comes to.
Speaker 2: Star Wars, and I don't think i've ever heard her do the I'm not mad, I'm disappointed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wow, I'm clear you should.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, that was quite public humiliation.
Speaker 3: By the way, Thank you to Robins.
Speaker 6: Robin oc Hey. As you know, I'm the quitt essential Star Wars. Yes, sir, Yes, George lu has done some that is not cool. Yeah, it's called Howard the Duck.
Speaker 7: Cute.
Speaker 1: Though interesting, it was kitchy and it had a bit of a cult following a bit of a cult. I think George Lucas has enough in the cool bank.
Speaker 3: He can have a couple of hours of ducks.
Speaker 2: He can have a couple one offs that was filmed in Petaluma, a lot of it, and I remember watching them.
Speaker 3: He crashes an ultra light into the river at some point right outside steamer Gold Landing.
Speaker 1: Ah.
Speaker 3: Everybody knows that place, don't they. The Lucas Museum of Narrative Art is coming out.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be devoted to visual storytelling. Why do you you seem nonpla see? I think chanted.
Speaker 2: I've done a lot of thinking in the last eight minutes. I believe it's because I'm not a huge museum guy.
Speaker 1: And why not. You like to learn, You're not a dumb ass. You like to learn new things.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Is it because you just haven't gone Sometimes you say you don't like things when you've never done them, or eaten them, or whatever. Your defect is to go straight to I don't like X, Y or Z when you've never done it.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Maybe I'll go to the museum, give it a chance.
Speaker 1: Maybe you'll love it because it's visual storytelling. It's the comics of Charles Schultz, who you also grew up in the backyard of Alex Raymond, Flash, Gordon Batman, the conceptre by Neil Adams behind Batman and Ralph McCrory from Star Wars. There are paintings, photography, all of these things, and you're gonna find like fun facts in there, stuff that you didn't even know about Star Wars. Probably that my problem with museums is my own problem. I want to remember everything that I see or I read, or I learn, and I feel like it's in one ear or eye or whatever and out the other, like I don't retain. I wish I retained more information when I go to a museum that I care about. There's so many museums that I've been to where I just I'm like this, this is wasted on me. This is boloney, and I don't get it, and I don't get art whatever. But once in a while you'll go to one that is your lane and you just hits your wavelength, yeah, and you just wish you could absorb all of it, and it's hard to remember everything that you learn in a span of like two hours or so.
Speaker 2: They talk about the museum itself, by the way, it doesn't even open until next year. But they talk about all of the different spaces that you move through in this museum, the way that they have it planned out. Each zone contains very textures, colors, scales, and often framed views.
Speaker 3: A shaded walkway curls.
Speaker 2: Along with a meandering meadow and then lifts you towards the hilly Kenyon.
Speaker 1: You would love that.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I would again, I don't know why I feel. But this is not like just Star Wars. That's the thing.
Speaker 3: If it was, if it was, but it's creative.
Speaker 1: You're a creative person. It's a creative space. It's all about what people have created.
Speaker 2: Plantings were laid out to bloom in different seasons and in different places.
Speaker 1: You're like mad about it.
Speaker 2: You're like plantings the bright yellow Safari gold strike lucadendron.
Speaker 3: Eh from the meadow.
Speaker 1: And can anything dendron better.
Speaker 3: Not smell like maple and brown sugar either.
Speaker 2: Jack Arranda's will be there Be's bliss sage lying low in the oak woodland.
Speaker 1: You could get high and then go eh, no, I'm speaking your language.
Speaker 3: It sounds like a dream.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's what it's supposed to feel like. It's a George Lucas museum.
Speaker 3: Okay, but I.
Speaker 1: It's a full scale ecology sitting on top of a structural system.
Speaker 2: Here's a new here's a new feeling that I have. What if I get my hopes up too high and then I go in there and.
Speaker 1: That's okay, that's good, that's okay. That's a normal human feeling. Is to think this is going to be so cool and then be disappointed.
Speaker 2: I'd rather go in shrugging my shoulders with my arms cross across my chest and then go wow.
Speaker 1: See this is like a child before Christmas morning. You want to get excited about it, but you don't want your expectation to be too high because you don't want disappointment, because that's the worst, because then you feel like you don't deserve disappointment because it's Santa and you should be happy with whatever Santa gets.
Speaker 2: You don't take a nap on Christmas Eve because you'll never fall asleep that night.
Speaker 1: No, why would you take a nap? Who could take a nap on Christmas Eve? I'm saying like no one. I would argue, no one could take a nap on Christmas Eve. Santa is coming the next day. So when does this open next year?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 1: Next year. That's also why you're tamping. You don't want to get too excited too soon.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm going to go drive park and wait for them to open for a couple of months.
Speaker 3: No, no, good morning, guys.
Speaker 9: I'm not always a fan of the Gary and Shannon Show, to be honest with you, and I don't even listen for four hours a day something. But death threats. Seriously, you guys get death threats.
Speaker 4: That's horrible.
Speaker 9: I am really sorry that you guys have to deal with stupid, immature people sometimes. God bless you guys. Hang in there.
Speaker 3: Thank you, appreciate that for the Thank you for the support.
Speaker 2: Yes, temporary, not consistent, but it's at least support.
Speaker 1: Ps. Our friend Dave from ABC seven, our automotive expert, just sent a picture from the Peterson Automotive Museum. They've got a new exhibit about all the eighties and nineties car cars called Totally Awesome Cars and Culture of the eighties and nineties. And they've got the Lamborghini with the with the doors that go up. Yeah, that's the picture that was a sure. I had on my wall growing up that white Lamborghini with the doors because I'm a little.
Speaker 3: I have the girl in the bikini getting out of the the.
Speaker 2: I am doing an event at the Peterson Auto bu Museum in the beginning of August.
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 3: It's a fundraiser.
Speaker 1: Is it for adult theater?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Do you want to publicize it?
Speaker 3: It's not, Okay, I don't even think tickets are availability.
Speaker 1: Okay, do you I mention what charity it's for.
Speaker 2: It's called the Triumph Foundation. That sounds nice, which helps people recover and rehabilitate from spinal cord injuries. Oh wow, that's very cool. Well, I think have you ever been to the Peterson Museum.
Speaker 3: I've been next to it.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're like Biggie. You're like, you're like Tupac and Biggie.
Speaker 2: Well that I didn't get a shot outside, but no, I went to a restaurant nearby, but we parked at the museum.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's a great story. I don't know why we can't talk more about it.
Speaker 1: Well, I just think you're gonna a I going inside?
Speaker 3: Will I might go early so I can hang out for there? You go?
Speaker 2: Because I like museums. You might, now you might. You've changed my mind. What's your worst airport? Don't tell me at the worst airport story that you have and it could be just a bad story and it happened to be at that airport.
Speaker 3: Or can it be an.
Speaker 1: Airport I have to regularly go to and I despise it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's what specifically I'm looking.
Speaker 1: For, because there's demons who live underground as well.
Speaker 3: Okay, I think I know which one you're talking about.
Speaker 2: What is your worst airport that you've had to fly through and sometimes you have to do it on a regular basis. Let us know on the talkback feature on the iHeart app. When you're listening on the app, just hit that little red microphone button, red button, white microphone, leave us a quick message and we'll come right in here.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: In Washington, DC.
Speaker 2: The big question that have been surrounding President Trump include whether or not the United States is going to get involved with the Israeli attacks on Iran. Iran Supreme Leader has rejected calls for a surrender in the face of more.
Speaker 3: Israeli air strikes.
Speaker 2: The second public appearance by Ayatola Kamani since the Israeli air strikes began six days ago, came as they did lift some restrictions on daily life, suggesting that the missile threat from Iran might actually be easy.
Speaker 3: We I should go to more museums, I think is what people are.
Speaker 10: Okay, Gary, can you be any more of a whiny pansy? What if I don't like it, then I'm there. It's not like you have to sell a kidney to experience it.
Speaker 3: You're gonna do.
Speaker 10: He says he was kidding when he walked through checked the box. I did it, didn't like it? Actually, you know what?
Speaker 4: I did like it? How about that?
Speaker 10: I tried a new experience and I'm gonna try it more often next time.
Speaker 1: I am trying to do this more off.
Speaker 10: Great job, guys, great show, Thank you.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to try new experiences. Say yes, yes, say yes exactly unless it involves.
Speaker 2: As great as it is to say no sometimes or last minute cancelations feel fun.
Speaker 3: You got to say yes more often.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, And it's not just say yes, it's take the initiative for yourself. So yes. It makes it seem like somebody else's plan, said excursion.
Speaker 3: That's true. It's also very true.
Speaker 11: Hey, Gary and Shannon Carlos from the Hollywood Hills. I love me a good museum, not because I'm smart, but because I like to look at pictures while I'm reading.
Speaker 3: I'm not really one of those people that could just read a book.
Speaker 11: But just a recommendation for you guys or for your listeners, for you ever in No Lands, Louisiana, the National.
Speaker 1: World It's so good you'd love it.
Speaker 11: Three hours there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I still want to go back and spend more. Probably my favorite museum, and that's next to Europe, and the Louver is right up there. I mean, it is so well done, and it's New Orleans, which just adds even more to it. But my god, I was blown away by how well it's done.
Speaker 2: I've been to Smithsonian. I mean, I absolutely loved. We spent all day at the Smithsonian. I had a great time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you have to kind of at the Smithsony. You can spend a week there probably, But yeah, and some are just so big and so cumbersome and overwhelming. But that that World War Two museum in New Orleans is a great day a great morning or afternoon. Yeah, what'd you think?
Speaker 3: It was awesome?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 12: The submarine part was like yeah, it puts you right in there and they give you so much facts about like the number of troops that we had versus you know, Germany, and to see it in like, uh, it's.
Speaker 1: Dope, right, and all the accounts from people who were there, h so good, and that New Orleans.
Speaker 3: Yes, Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 13: Why is it you only play talkbacks from ask Kisser, Ciclophants and nobody else. Your show is like the modern Bickersons, with mostly nonsense and very infrequently some actual information.
Speaker 3: Oh bye, some.
Speaker 1: Actually, what is what is the Bickersons? Is that a reference?
Speaker 3: It's an old comic strip? Oh oh?
Speaker 1: The Bickersons a series of radio and TV comedy sketches which began in nineteen forty six.
Speaker 2: I'm saying that because he knows what the Bickersons are, we should not pay attention.
Speaker 1: Most of the time, we don't play the things that are negative because it would throw us off the air. It would be so time consuming to bleep out everything involved with the negative comments.
Speaker 3: Ain't nobody got that much time?
Speaker 1: Ain't nobody got time for that?
Speaker 2: California's largest airports are seeing fewer passengers travel through. San Francisco International and LAX both saw about ten percent fewer passengers last year than they did five years before.
Speaker 3: For that.
Speaker 2: Continuing trend now other airports, for example, Charles Schultz Sonoma County Airport in Santa Rosa, the fastest growing airport in the five years. Sixty percent more passengers leave or land from that airport in twenty twenty four than they did in twenty nineteen. They said that traffic is now at an absolute record high. The Sonoma County Airport had an upgraded terminal a few years ago. They also said whoever is using it has shifted slightly as well, largely from areas north of San Rafel. I think Sonoma, Marin, Napa, Mendocino counties make up more than half of all the passengers there in that airport, the rest being visitors to the area. Since the pandemic pandemic that has flipped, locals only make up about forty five percent, but visitors tourists that come in are about fifty five percent. So, and I haven't flown through that one specifically, but there used to be a time when Sacramento Airport. I don't even think it was international at the time when Sacramento Airport was a joy because they had one terminal, and they had a lot of flights in and out, and you could connect to all the major cities and you could get to wherever you wanted to in the country, and no one knew about it, and there.
Speaker 3: Wasn't a whole lot of use for it.
Speaker 2: Burbank is still there, but appears to be on the cusp of something very bad.
Speaker 3: Burbank Airport.
Speaker 2: In the last couple of times that I've been there, if you hit the timing wrong, it takes forever just to get onto the airport drive. You're waiting out there on Hollywood Boulevard forever. That's very rare, I'm telling you at the time.
Speaker 1: So, I mean, I go there pretty regularly, and it's still to me just a dream Burbank Airport. I feel like people always knew about Sacramento Airport, especially with the capital being there. It's just that, I mean, if you were in Betweensville when it came to SFO and Sacramento and you don't think of Sacramento being a gateway to other places, maybe that's true, because I think at all costs, I avoid SFO at all costs, just the way I avoid LAX. Unfortunately, it's unavoidable sometimes. But Man Ontario, Burbank Long Beach has got to be my favorite airport. It's beautiful, it's open air, it's easy, it's so nice. It is such a great airport. If you can do it, Long Beach, it's the way to go. Long Beach and Burbank.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also mentioned meadows Field Airport in Bakersfield. No frills, just a few gates. You only really can go to San Francisco, Dallas, Denver, or Phoenix. But again, once you get to those areas, you could go anywhere in the world for the most part. So what is your What is your worst airport?
Speaker 1: My least favorite airport in this area is Denver. Denver is about an hour outside of It is vast. It is a situation. To you get inside, you've got to walk seventeen miles to get wherever you're going. Security is always backed up, always an issue. Weird murals, weird murals, Haunted Horse, haunted Horse, the sculpture of the horse that stands outside that very sculpture killed the sculptor of that sculpture while he was sculpting that sculpture. That is a bad omen to put outside a freaking airport. The other problem I have with it is it takes about an hour and a half once you get in the plane to get to the runway where you're going to take off. It feels like you're driving to whatever destination.
Speaker 2: Now, why is that different than Dallas Fort Worth? Because DFW also is a massive I mean ground acreage wise is a massive airport, and you take a train to get from your from when you get to the airport, to get to the terminal. Once you get to the terminal, you have to, like you said, drive the plane half an hour. It feels like you're driving back to Houston before you take off.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't have memories. I know I've flown in and out of Fort Worth, but I have more memories of Dallas love Field with Southwest.
Speaker 3: Again beautiful, which is not a.
Speaker 1: Problem at all. Denver, And it's so big.
Speaker 3: Did you said it's haunted and spirits underground.
Speaker 1: It's so hard and you got to go like six gates to get to the Starbucks. There should be a Starbucks that's closer than that I don't know. This is a situation.
Speaker 3: Any international airports that strike a chord with you.
Speaker 1: There have been a couple where I've been like, this is an airport, you know, it's just like yeah, it's like it's just a shoddy like seems to be like some sort of weird cafeteria type room like next to the runway, Like, what the hell is this?
Speaker 2: Let us know what's your worst airport? Give us a talkback. When you're listening on the app, you're.
Speaker 5: Listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 14: Gary, don't go. Don't go to the museum. You know why because I don't want you to experience any joy. You don't like cats, and you had a lot of weird rules around telephones with your kids. So yeah, don't go. I don't want you to have any fun. Bye, have a good day, Shannon.
Speaker 1: I love you more.
Speaker 14: Bye.
Speaker 1: Wow Are you okay? It's probably not about the milk, It's okay. Listen.
Speaker 2: I didn't say I don't like cats. I don't have cats. Cats can be perfectly lovely.
Speaker 1: You're pretty much on the record as saying that you're not a cat person.
Speaker 3: I'm not a cat person.
Speaker 2: Sure doesn't mean I wouldn't ped a little cat became walking in here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you would, like, hey, kitty, you would.
Speaker 1: You would probably curl up with that cat and you're listening to him.
Speaker 3: Pers headsticking out of my jacket. Yeah, the little guy. Look, guys, look what I got.
Speaker 1: You would love to snuggle with him? Itches little chin.
Speaker 2: Like this, twist his little neck. What no, No, I mean like like with my like I would? You're a petit like with opposite directions.
Speaker 1: Don't even joke.
Speaker 3: And the weird rules for my kids and their phones.
Speaker 1: I think she just is a libertarian for a fourteen year old. Maybe you know, everyone has their different rules for their lives and for their children's lives, and we can disrespect each other's.
Speaker 3: Does she never read Lord of the Flies?
Speaker 1: So that's a bridge that's further than a phone contract, I think. I think that's what we're trying to avoid.
Speaker 3: It's the on ramp?
Speaker 1: Is it the on ramp to Lord of the Flies?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, it all worked out. Your kids didn't end up killing other kids. Not yet.
Speaker 7: Airlines has been through a lot of airports. The worst one Boston Logan, an old Army Air Force base airport. You gotta walk out of one terminal, a walk outside, across through parking and traffic and e then you walk to another terminal. At least that's what I had to do when I made a connection.
Speaker 8: Sucks.
Speaker 7: I don't have to go there anymore.
Speaker 1: At least you were in Boston where the weather's always perfect.
Speaker 3: Boston. That's my list of things I'd.
Speaker 1: Love to talk.
Speaker 8: Atlanta Airport is the worst. The trains that you have to get on to go from one place to another to get on your next airplane will kill you. You will die in the trains.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and guess what what I learned at that airport. They don't do mimosas on Sunday before noon. And that's where I told them that this was America. And if I want to law, it is no liquor. If somebody told me there was no liquor before at noon on a Sunday, you.
Speaker 3: Just sleep in.
Speaker 1: I would not have gone.
Speaker 3: Oh, Shannon, you are not wrong.
Speaker 10: Denver Airport is massive, thirty three thousand, five hundred acres of massiveness. However, I do like the murals, but I do not like having to spend half my day getting from one.
Speaker 3: Terminal to the next.
Speaker 10: But Charles de gall is by far the worst airport I've ever flown in and out of. Multiple times I read a fly in the Gatwick or heathrowed.
Speaker 1: I'm always so disoriented when I'm after I've traveled a long distance or I've been in another land for so long, I don't really pay attention that much. I don't remember what the Paris airport's like.
Speaker 2: We got more for Denver. We'll talk more about it than coming up a little bit later as well.
Speaker 1: You know, and the Murals probably are just fine. It's just that I'm pissed off about being in the Denver airport. That kind of taints everything. Probably all right.
Speaker 2: Up next, we'll be talking about what's going on with the President's mind when it comes to America's involvement with the Israeli strikes on Iran? Have we been involved, would we get involved? What would that mean for the wider war. That's all coming up. Gary and Shannon will continue right after this. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand.
Speaker 3: On the iHeartRadio app,