Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 4: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 3: Well, hello there, it's five o'clock. Straight up.
Speaker 1: This is your wake up call for Tuesday, June twenty fourth. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Oh, that reminds me. It's my Michael's birthday, my nephew, Happy birthday, Michael King. I forgot to get your present in the mail. That's okay, he'll be all right. This was something cool. I had to take my car in yesterday to the shop and the guy said, oh, would you like a water and I'm like, yeah, we gave me a and I brought it in because this is something that we had all over the place when we went to France, and that's the water bottles.
Speaker 3: The caps are attached. If you'll look into your radio, very smart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, instead of the cap coming off and then you losing it and all that, the cap is attached.
Speaker 3: It looks like it has less plastic too.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's a nifty little thing. It's the first time I've seen it in the US, so I'm hoping we'll see more of that. It's your little tip for the day.
Speaker 3: Here's what's ahead on wake Up called.
Speaker 1: LA Police Chief Jim McDonnell has defended how the LAPD handled the recent immigration enforcement protests, which sparks some allegations of excessive force and indiscriminate use of rubber bullets and tear gas.
Speaker 3: The chief says suggestions the.
Speaker 1: Response was undisciplined or lacked oversight that's simply not accurate. Just hours into a ceasefire between Israel and Iran, Israel accused Iran of launching missiles toward them and vow to retaliate.
Speaker 3: Iran denied it, but then.
Speaker 1: Explosions were heard and siren sounded across northern Israel. The Israeli military says two Iranian missiles were intercepted before.
Speaker 3: Boarding Air Force one for the Netherlands.
Speaker 1: President Trump said both Israel and Iran have violated the fragile cya fire ABC.
Speaker 3: Selina Wang is already in the Hague.
Speaker 1: She'll be joining us to talk about what President Trump is going to be pressing for at the NATO summit, and of course the new hot topic and Israel Iran sees fire and speaking of that, we're gonna be checking out with ABC stre Donna Miller in Jerusalem at five point twenty. I was going to say that she and O there's maybe breathing a big sigh of relief now, but then apparently missiles were fired, so maybe not yet again.
Speaker 3: That's coming up at five twenty.
Speaker 1: If you're a fan of Buy Now, Pay later, be careful, it's going to show up on your credit score. And also new cell phone plans are coming, but are they any good? The host of How To Money WHI, Joel Larsgard, will weigh in on that and more coming up at five point fifty. Let's get started with uh some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The LAPD is mourning the loss of Sergeant Shu Dang, the veteran officer who was hidden killed by a car after he stopped to help following another crash on the four or five early yesterday morning that Will was telling you about all morning long. Sergeant Ding was taken to UCLA Medical Center, where he died. Another man died at the scene, and a third person was injured in the crash. The four of five was closed for yesterday's commute and beyond. A local state senator says federal law enforcement agents should have to identify themselves better.
Speaker 5: Senator Sacher Benet Perez has proposed new legislation she calls the No Vigilante Act. She says, as federal immigration enforcement efforts continue here and elsewhere, is becoming unclear whether some of the agents are actually really law enforcement.
Speaker 1: But the truth is, unless these individuals provide proper identification, we don't know.
Speaker 5: She says. The bill would help put people at ease and so many agents conceal their faces. It would also allow local police to request id from federal agiance. Michael monks KFI.
Speaker 1: News Republican lawmakers and Sacramento have tabled a bill to end sanctuary laws in California. They say it's been prompted by what they call violent attacks on federal immigration agents in La. Huntington Beach. Senator Tony Strickland tells KFI getting rid of the sanctuary city laws would allow ICE to work more closely with local and state authorities.
Speaker 6: To make sure this is more strategic in terms of making sure that they're actually falling through and going after the criminals who are here illegally.
Speaker 3: He says.
Speaker 1: The message that seems to be getting lost is that ICE is rounding up people who are in the US illegally and who commit crimes. Time to say good morning to ABC's Selena Wang, who is already in the Netherlands, and Selena, good morning. The President's going to arrive a little bit later today for the NATO summit. I would imagine the world is buzzing over the announcement of a CEA fire between Iran and Israel. Is that going to be the main focus of those of the meetings now?
Speaker 7: Well, had there not been the escalation between Israel and Iran, Ukraine and Russia really would have been at the top of the agenda. But right now this is certainly Israel and Iran is going to be key looming large over President Trump's meeting with our NATO allies. But look, this seafire is a fragile situation. And in fact, as President Trump was leaving the White House this morning, he made very clear that he's not happy. He said, he's furious that the seafire that he had just celebrated is now in question. He said, as he was leaving the White House that the two countries don't know what's the bleep they're doing. Then he went on truth social He posted that Israel is not going to attack Iran, stressing that the seafire is in effect, saying that all planes will turn around and head home while doing a friendly plane way to Iran. Nobody will be hurt. So the President wants this ceasefire to hold, but very fragile right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, so cesare or not cespare, but Israel and around probably front and center. But you mentioned that Russia and Ukraine were supposed to be one of the main focuses. I would imagine they're still going to talk about that absolutely.
Speaker 7: And Ukraine's President Vilenski, he is at the NATO summit. It's unclear if Trump is going to be meeting with him or not. We do know that the President is going to have individual bilateral meetings. Unclear if Zelenski will get time with the President. But this is a high stakes moment for Zelenski. You know, while the world's attention has really been occupied by the conflict in the Middle East, he is still fighting this war against Russia. He wants to ensure that he can have the backing of the United States, the backing of Europe. This is a tricky time, especially with the domestic political situation in the US, so he wants to ensure that he can still have the support of President Trump and that he can still get funding for defense as he continues to fight the war against Putin.
Speaker 1: Okay and Selena, is Zelenski going to that you've heard be pushing for NATO membership or is that kind of off the table now?
Speaker 7: Well, this is, of course something that's been a priority for Zelenski. In February, he even said he was willing to step down as president if it meant that Ukraine could join NATO. But it is difficult. It's very, very difficult because when it comes to the ceasefire proposals that have been presented, that has not been a part of it. NATO membership has not been a part of it, So it's unclear how realistic it is. However, it is a priority of Zelenski's.
Speaker 1: Okay, And the other thing that I think they're going to be talking about was getting NATO members to kick in more money.
Speaker 7: Absolutely. I mean, you'll remember that in President Trump's first term he was often very critical of NATO. He often slammed our ally for not spending enough on defense. So we are expecting Natal countries to promise to increase their defense spending from two percent to five percent. If that is the case, President Trump will count that as a major win. It's something he's been pushing for for a long time.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: And just to clarify too, by doing that, they have some time to do it. It's not like they have to increase that spending tomorrow. I think they have like ten years to get to that five percent.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, And I mean this would take a lot of time. We're talking about a huge change in these countries. It would take many, many years in order to hit that target.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: And then, Selena, how long do they You mentioned that there are individual meetings. Is there are there also big group meetings or is it just a bunch of leaders in the same place and they hold individual meetings while they're there.
Speaker 7: No, there will definitely be group meetings as well, and Trump as well. In his schedule, he has a press conference scheduled for tomorrow before he leaves, and that's going to be a chance for reporters to ask him questions I'm sure the questions will dominated by what's happening in Israel and Ron, but of course the world is going to want to get a read on his bilateral meetings and what our allies have been pushing for.
Speaker 1: Okay, ABC's senior White House correspondent Selina Wang, thanks so much for the information.
Speaker 3: Appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Thanks all right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The Supreme Court has handed a legal victory to the Trump administration. ABC's Andrew Dimbert says it is allowing the deportation of some immigrants to any country.
Speaker 2: The ruling overturns a lower court order which blocked the deportation of several detainees to South Sudan. Three liberal justices sharply dissented, saying the decision is rewarding lawlessness.
Speaker 3: He says.
Speaker 1: A Homeland Security official calls the ruling of victory for the safety and security of the American people. Oppressive heat and humidity is hammering nearly half of the US, and today is going to be another hot one for millions. Temperatures are expected to reach one hundred degrees in New York City, but jazz saxophonist Johann Osca says the show must go on.
Speaker 6: I'm a bit concerned about it. It's quite hot, but yeah, we have to drink a lot of water and still continue playing.
Speaker 1: Places like Philadelphia and Boston could also get temperatures above one hundred degrees and with the humidity, it'll feel like it's even hotter. Novo Nordisk has scrapped a partnership with Hymns and hers Health, alleging the US company is using deceptive marketing to sell copycat versions of its obesity blockbuster Wigov. Bloomberg News cis split part marks another setback for the Danish drug maker, which had counted on the partnership with the telehealth platform to broaden its access in the US, where it's losing ground to Eli. Lilly, the CEO of Hymns, says the comments are misleading. Health insurers are promising to make customers happier.
Speaker 8: The nation's major health insurers say they will scale back and improve things that lead to care delays and complications. United Healthcare, CVS Health's ETNA, and dozens of other insurers that they plan to reduce the scope of healthcare claims subject to prior authorization, standardize the process, and expand the number of real time responses. Prior authorization means that insurers require approval before they will cover medical care, a prescription or a service depor. Mark Koffi News.
Speaker 1: Amazon founder Jeff Bezos and his fiance have reportedly changed some plans for their wedding extravaganza in Venice. ABC's Allison Kosik says that's because of protests and security concerns.
Speaker 9: Many Venetians hanging no space for Bezo signs already furious at over tourism in the city.
Speaker 3: The environmental group Greenpeace protesting the uber rich.
Speaker 1: The mayor of Venice as he supports the three day wedding as it will bring in millions for city and local businesses. Fomo and phobo are making room for a new stress full acronym.
Speaker 10: If you pretend to watch a movie just because others are talking about it, laugh at jokes you don't find funny, or won't leave work till your boss does, you just may be suffering from fau PO. Psychologist Michael Gervais created the term for fear of people's opinions and says more people are comparing themselves to others, which devalues themselves FOPO like fear of missing out FOMO and fear of better options PHOBO can be made worse by social media, which uses likes, follows, and comments to get validation. Jervis says having a clear sense of purpose can help rewire the brain to be more authentic, making you less likely to care about the opinion of others. Michael Krozer KFI News phaupo just.
Speaker 1: What we need fear of people's opinions popo, Yeah, I think I've had that. Hey, do you know that there fifteen percent of iPhone users are using their phone with this.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna tell you a minute. That's a true port it ease stick around.
Speaker 1: For that fifteen percent of iPhone users are using their phones with this. Think about what that might be. I'll tell you about that coming up in the next few minutes. President Trump has warned Israel to bring its pilots home now as he tries to sustain a ceasefire. Just hours into the ceasefire between Israel and Iran that was announced yesterday afternoon, Israel says Iran has fired off a couple of missiles. Trump says both Israel and Iran have violated the ceasefire, but he still says he's hoping it holds. Pasadena has officially condemned federal immigration raids. The Pasadena City Council approved an official statement denouncing the recent ice raids around the city, including one near a bus stop and another in a residential area. The city's statement calls the raids unconstitutional.
Speaker 3: If you want to watch the.
Speaker 1: Team train, you can. The la Rams have announced dates for their training camp at Loyola Marymount University. Eight practices will be open to the public from July twenty fourth to August third. You will, I'll need a ticket to get in. They'll be available starting at three pm tomorrow at DRAMs dot com slash Training Camp. Fun to see the team practice and not have to pay for it. Huh At six oh five, it's handle on the news. If you want healthy lungs, California apparently is the place to be.
Speaker 3: Who knew?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 1: I think we have ABC's Jordana Miller. We don't have it. She's trying to call in, but we're we're not. We're not connecting at the moment. Okay, well, well you see if we can connect with her. I wanted to mention to you that yesterday we were talking about how it was my five year anniversary of the operation to get rid of the tumor the cancer, and I encourage you to get your colonoscopies right and something that nobody really wants to do, but we all need to do. And I got several really nice emails and dms on my Instagram Amy Kay King, and I wanted to share one a couple of them.
Speaker 3: She's good.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well I'm going to share them in a minute though. Okay, So anyway, don't forget go get your colonoscopy, and I'm going to tell you more about some of the nice responses I got yesterday and that people are actually going out and scheduling them, which I love.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm here for, all right.
Speaker 1: So now let's say good morning to ABC's Jordana Miller in Jerusalem.
Speaker 3: So glad we got to connect.
Speaker 1: So, Jordana, I thought that I was going to be saying, boy, I bet you're breathing a sigh of relief this morning, but that might be a little premature.
Speaker 11: Well, I still feel relieved, and I think talking to a lot of you know, people in my neighborhood and at the coffee shop. I think a lot of people do think that we are, you know, around the corner from this ceasefire working. It's often the case in the beginning of a seafire that it's a little rocky and both sides kind of test the limits. And I think that's what we saw this morning here the Iranians fired, you know, as the Israelis increased their fire. Also over Tehran, the Israelis fired, you know, intensely across the capital in Iran, and the Iranians fired twenty ballistic missiles in the morning from about five to seven point thirty, keeping most of the country in their bomb shelters for you know, more than two hours, which is the longest, the longest consecutive waves that Iran has fired over and unfortunately, one of those missiles hit a residential building in southern Israel in the city of Barsheva, killing four people that were actually in their safe rooms, but unfortunately just too close to the actual impact of the direct of that missile.
Speaker 4: You're doing, I have a quick question to the others. Yeah, so.
Speaker 3: You said that there were missiles fired.
Speaker 1: One went into that neighborhood and unfortunately killed a few people, and that Israel had also been doing some pretty heavy attacks on Tehran. Was that before the ceasefire technically went into effector was that after?
Speaker 11: So I think both sides played a little bit with the timing. The Iranians were firing past seven am, which was the stated start time, and I think the Israelis were as well.
Speaker 4: But then there was quiet.
Speaker 11: And then much later, three hours later, after ten am local, the Iranians fired two more ballistic missiles on northern Israel. Those were intercepted, nobody was hurt, but Israel vowed a very tough response and the planes were on their way to carry out strikes again over Tehran until the President got on the phone, tweeted, and then got on the phone with the Israeli Prime Minister and asked him to scale back and call off those attacks.
Speaker 4: Uh, there were a couple.
Speaker 11: Strikes north of Tehran, the outskirts of Tehran, but other than that, it doesn't look like the Israelis did much more, which means the President did succeed in scaling back that Israeli reprisal strike and getting you know, both sides back now to where to square one?
Speaker 4: Right now?
Speaker 11: The seafire is in force, you know, and and no more so we're gonna have to wait and see. But I think we're we're now. There's a new fresh start now and and you know, we're gonna hope it holds.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's that's always good.
Speaker 1: So even as as recent is yesterday, Iran was saying now, we're not backing down.
Speaker 3: We're not backing down.
Speaker 1: And then out of the blue, at three o'clock our time yesterday afternoon, the president says, we got a cease fire. Do you or have you heard anything about what may have been kind of the straw that broke the camel's back or the what it was that got the two sides to say, okay, we're done.
Speaker 11: So the Iranians have consistently put out messages that don't really reflect what's happening on the ground and reality.
Speaker 4: So they always put out.
Speaker 11: Statements that you know, they're winning this war, they're causing major damage to Israeli military assets, you know, everyone is in place and strong. Meanwhile, they've been in a constant state of flux and shock and awe since Israel really started it's surprise attack on Iran.
Speaker 4: Twelve days ago. And there was just no way.
Speaker 11: That the Iranians could sustain a real military conflict with the United States. I mean, that's what it came down to. They even their reprisal strike that they were saying, we're going to do this to the United States and American assets and every American is a target.
Speaker 4: In the end, what did the Iranians do.
Speaker 11: They quietly choreographed and gave the United States a head up on a strike for which the United States was prepared for, and no bases were hit, no servicemen were injured. It was really a face saving kind of reprisal strike. And then you know, when the President said, come on, you know, you better just come to the table, the Iranians decided.
Speaker 4: That was a better move for them.
Speaker 11: I think all along amy there's been a question would the regime, you know, preoccupy itself or put as the top priority its own survival or its nuclear weapons program. And I think now we can definitively say, at this moment, the Supreme leader is choosing his own power and staying in power, and they're going to make concessions on their nuclear weapons program.
Speaker 3: Okay, well it looks fragile, but whatever.
Speaker 11: Whatever is left of it we should say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so it appears that right now, CeaseFire's back on. We'll see it's fragile, and we will continue to check in with you because you have first knowledge of what's going on there. We appreciated Jerdana Miller in Jerusalem. We'll talk to you soon, all right, all right. A seventh person has died and another one is still missing after a boat capsized on Lake Tahoe. ABC's Alex Stone says it happened Saturday at D. L.
Speaker 3: Bliss State Park.
Speaker 5: Conter Bugby was air and says he saw huge waves in fierce wind.
Speaker 6: It was snowing sideways and then next thing you know, you just have three to four foot waves coming in and it just turned into like a hurricane.
Speaker 5: In total, ten people were on the overturned boat.
Speaker 1: Two people who survived are in the hospital. A woman has been sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole for the murder of her hairstylists husband in La Monica.
Speaker 12: Simmintili was sentenced on Monday. She was previously convicted of first degree murder and conspiracy to commit murder with the twenty seventeen stabbing death of her husband. Fabio Simintilly, the prominent hairdresser, was stabbed to death at his home in Woodland Hills, which he shared with his wife and two daughters. The defense was pushing forward twenty five years to life in prison. Mark Mayfield Kofi News.
Speaker 1: An animal trainer, and his girlfriend in Irvine, A, pleaded not guilty to charges that they killed eleven dogs. The pair were charged with animal cruelty, abuse, and attempts to destroy evidence. Polisa recovered the cremated remains of one dog, the remains of two, and the bodies of nine more dogs. One couple said they dropped their dog off for breeding and touch up training and then were told that their dog had died. AI models will resort to blackmail if they get threatened.
Speaker 13: Artificial intelligence startup Anthropics Fafty tests have shown a disturbing trend. Most AI models, including Meta, Google, Open Ai and its own, apparently resort to blackmail if they feel threatened. The San Francisco based company set up a safety scenario giving AI models access to fictional company emails. When an email discussed replacing the current AI model, it threatened the engineer with publicly releasing fictitious, compromising email andthropics, as this suggests most leading AI models will engage in harmful behaviors when given sufficient autonomy. Mark Ronner KFI.
Speaker 1: Newsh Great blackmailed by AI.
Speaker 3: This is going to be fun, isn't it. Look what we're getting ourselves into. Hi Robot all over again.
Speaker 1: I Cat.
Speaker 3: After a night.
Speaker 1: Off for a travel day, the Dodgers are back in action tonight. The Dodgers take on the Rockies in Colorado. First pitch goes out at five point forty. You can listen to all the Dodger games on AM five seventy LA Sports live from the Galpin Motors Broadcast booth, and you can stream Dodgers games in HD on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Keyword.
Speaker 1: AM five seventy LA Sports lags above. City buildings in the state Capitol been lowered to half staff to honor LAPD Sergeant Shudng. LAPD Chief Jim McDonald says Sergeant Deng died trying to protect others. He was killed after being hit by a car early yesterday on the four h five while trying to give aid to another driver injured in a crash in southbound lanes. Dang has survived by his wife and his parents. President Trump says both Israel and Iran violated ceasefire terms by attacking each other shortly after hostilities or hostilities rather were supposed to stop. The President announced on social media yesterday that the two sides had agreed to a complete and total cease fire. We were just talking to Gjordannah Miller, who said that Israel was getting ready to retaliate again and had launched jets. Well Prime Minister Netnyah, who says he held off on tougher strikes against Iran after speaking to President Trump today. Former Vice President Harris's husband is going to be teaching at USC. Doug Mhoff will be a Distinguished Visiting Professor at the USC Gould School of Law starting June first. He says he's looking forward to sharing his experiences as second gentleman with the next generation, and, as he put it, hearing from them in the vibrant.
Speaker 3: Academic community at USC. At six oh five, Tandle on the news.
Speaker 1: If countries won't take a legal immigrants back, the Supreme Court says the US can send them to another country. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four.
Speaker 3: Our newsroom. After days of intense attacks from both sides, the US has reported a reprieve from hostilities. ABC's Jim Ryan says the US bombing of Iran's nuclear development facilities made that possible.
Speaker 14: But the pause in military action might be brief. Israeli say Iran fired two missiles at Israel this morning, and today the Israelis are set to respond quote with force again.
Speaker 1: Babe Natanyahu said that he turned his planes around after having a conversation with President Trump, who said turn your planes around. California Republican representative says hitting Around's nuclear weapons facilities was a key to national security.
Speaker 3: Iran cannot get a nuclear weapon.
Speaker 2: The targeted, yet overwhelming strikes executed this past weekend were precisely tailored to achieve that limited, yet vital mission.
Speaker 1: Speaking from the House floor yesterday, Representative Kylie said the Iranian regime is the foremost sponsor of terror. He says it's been disturbing to see the partisan responses from some members of Congress. Two thirds of the state is abnormally dry. That's from the most recent US Drought Monitor update. Nearly forty percent of the state is under moderate drought. Twenty three percent of the state is in severe drought. Forecasts suggest hot dry weather may worsen conditions this summer. And speaking of hot, millions of Americans are sweating it out under a heat dome. Extreme heat warnings are in place from Virginia and Washington, d c Up to Rhode Island in Boston. Cities in the Midwest are also sweltering temperatures or ninety degrees or higher with heat indexes up to one hundred ten degrees. Okay, So I was telling you earlier when we were waiting to talk to Jordana that yesterday we were talking about getting your colonoscopy and how it's very important.
Speaker 3: It can save your life.
Speaker 1: It certainly did mine, and I certainly wouldn't have had to go through an operation and chemotherapy and all that stuff if I had done my screening when I was supposed to. And so I got some really nice responses, and one is from Shelley who lives in DC, and she said thanks for the reminder about the importance of getting the colonoscopy. She says, I turned forty six in March, and I've been putting it off despite having Crohn's disease run in her family. She said, I emailed my doctor today to get it scheduled. Way to go, Shelley, And then got another note from Was it from Danny?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 13: Danny?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he said he lost his mom to cancer and she never had a colonoscopy, and he wonders, you know, if that had been different, that maybe she might still be around. So I said, don't ever stop speaking up on this. And then the other one from RUSS said, because of what we were talking about yesterday, I have made an appointment to have the scope, and so way to go, Russ. Seriously, nobody wants to get it done. It's not the most fun thing, but it can literally save your life. It's an inconvenience and it's not that bad. So thanks for the nice notes, appreciate it, and go get your colonoscopy.
Speaker 3: Okay, time to.
Speaker 1: Get in your business with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho. Good morning, Courtney.
Speaker 9: Good morning.
Speaker 3: We're surviving here with the heat. Whoa it?
Speaker 12: So?
Speaker 3: Are you going to be up over one hundred today in New York City?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 9: Yes, yeah, I'm between the humidity and everything. Oh man, it's I was walking to the train yesterday and I was like, this is this is brutal, and it's supposed to be worse today. When I left my house, I leave my house in the middle of the night and it was ready.
Speaker 3: It felt like you were walking into a sauna. It was like this, this is gonna be a rough day, had a rough couple of days.
Speaker 9: Tomorrow, we're going to hopefully tomorrow it's going to rain and it's going to clear some of this out.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you mentioned a rough day ahead, and it doesn't look like it's going to be a rough day on Wall Street absolutely not.
Speaker 9: What a change of what we were thinking, because usually when we have a geopolitical situation like what we're going through, the markets end up reacting in a lot of ways, in a negative way because Wall Street does not like uncertainty. But this morning and yesterday we saw a rally for stocks. The price of oil has tumbled. Traders are pretty optimistic about the conflict de escalating and there hasn't been any signs.
Speaker 3: Of disruption to the flow of crude.
Speaker 9: That is huge. Oil yesterday dropped eight and a half percent. That was a big tumble. It's down about ten percent over the past two days, and right now it's trading at sixty five dollars a barrel. This morning, we're building on yesterday's gains. The dow right now is to two up two hundred eighty two points. Another thing that we are watching those Federal Reserve Jay Powell. He's due to testify before Congress starting this morning, so a lot of the people are wondering what he's going to say because he's been facing a lot of pressure from President Trump, who says that interest rate should be at least two to three points lower than it is right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, you mentioned interest rates, and of course that has to do with houses, and a lot of people used to flip homes.
Speaker 3: That was a big thing. Apparently that's kind of a flop. Yeah.
Speaker 9: The home buying slowdown that we've been seeing all across the country appears to really be affecting flippers. So according to real estate analytics from Adam, the first three months of the year marked the lowest number of flips in a quarter since twenty eighteen. Returns have also been falling, So a typical flip home saw about twenty five percent return on investment in the first quarter, but that's a decline from the recent high of close to forty nine percent in the fall of twenty twenty and twenty twenty. Everybody was making money and there was just a lot of run. Especially if you were a seller. You were able to really gain a lot because so many people were moving, i know, out of cities into suburbs, and the whole entire thing changed the game. The pandemic changed the game. But it's it's been rough go because mortgage rates have been so high. I mean, if you look at the average for a thirty year fixed loan right now, according to Freddie Mac, it's six point eight one percent, close to seven percent.
Speaker 1: That's pretty high, all right, so might want to hold off on I was the flip flipping house seemed like such a kind of a cool idea, but again that was when prices were really low, and now just maybe not such a great idea.
Speaker 3: I still love watching them on HDT. Yeah, don't get me wrong. I'll still watch them absolutely exactly.
Speaker 1: All right, Getting in your business with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho as we do every day at five point forty.
Speaker 3: Thanks Cartney, Courtney. We'll talk to you tomorrow. Definitely see you later, all right.
Speaker 1: Israel's accused Iran of a launching missiles that sent civilians scrambling into bomb shelters. Denies firing missiles after the ceasefire took effect. President Trump's both sides have violated it, and added before he took off for the NATO summit that he is not happy with Israel. The number of measles cases so far this year in California has now surpassed the number of cases for all of twenty twenty four. There are sixteen confirmed cases. Measles was eradicated in the US in the year two thousand, but infections are going up because of declining vaccination rates. In California, Measles cases have been confirmed in La Riverside, Sacramento, Placer, and Santa Clara Counties, down but not out. Governor Newsim's has more than half of forty eight new film projects that have been awarded tax credits will shoot in the LA area, which has seen a sharp drop off in film production. Newsims says the projects will generate six hundred and sixty four million dollars in production spending statewide and will create thousands of jobs. Most of the projects are indie films just minutes away from a handle on the news this morning that shopping cart could cost you twenty five hundred dollars. Wal Mart and Target cracking down on cart thieves. Let's say good morning now to the host of money on KFI. It's Joel lurs Guard Morning.
Speaker 3: Joel.
Speaker 15: Morning, Amy.
Speaker 3: I hear your sweating and at your son's swimming practice.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I am. Can we talk to Yeah.
Speaker 3: We just talked to Courtney Donaho with Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: She's also in New York and said that she's just sweating to death, really hot.
Speaker 15: This heat wave is something crazy, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, the pool is the place to be, so glad you're there, but that doesn't prohibit us from talking about money. And I think this is very interesting for the people who are fans of the buy now, pay later trend.
Speaker 3: It could affect your credit score now.
Speaker 15: Yeah, and you and I have talked about this a few times. By now pay later in general, and I'm not a fan of the proliferation. There are a number of companies now that allow you to pay for whatever you want under the sun, essentially in installment, from groceries to airplane tickets to grub hub, and it just it unsettles me every time I hear about BNPL, you know, wandering into a new way to pay for something random and yees so now, but the part of the problem has been for lenders is as buy now, pay later has become this bigger segment of the market, well, lenders are saying, we don't know who we're lending to. And maybe they've got twenty six outstanding by now pay later loans that they've paid late on and that would show that they don't handle credit terribly well, but that doesn't get reported to the bureaus. So it's really hard for them to know who is a good person to lend credit to, and who are to yeah to lend to make a loan to, and who's not and so yeah, finally we're starting to see the addition of buy now, pay later into the credit scoring models, and Fico is really a leader here at Fico's like basically the biggest player in the credit scoring game, and they're going to start working with a firm. We've seen a firm start reporting anyway to some of the credit bureaus. To standardize how this impacts credit scores has been the tough part. But it seems like Fiko has the first robust model that they're going to implement.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I have a question about credit scores in general. Sure, eight hundred used to be like the top. That's that's as good as it could get. Well, mine's way over eight hundred. When did that change that nine hundred is the top score?
Speaker 10: Now?
Speaker 15: Okay, First, that sounds like a humble brag amy, which is fine. You can do that let people know how great you are. So that's that's a really good question.
Speaker 1: I've worked really hard to have good credit, but it's just it was never that high. And now I'm like, how did it get that high? I didn't I haven't done anything different.
Speaker 15: You deserve the credit. I want you to have that credit. But it just made me what happens with credit scores. The thing is there's there. There are so many of them it's not even funny. So some of them go up to eight fifty, some of them go up to nine hundred. I believe it's trains that user scores up to nine hundred. And so every each bureau has different scoring models, and even underneath each bureau, like for instance, FCO, is mentioning which which credit scores they're well, they're creating new credit scores and incorporate buy now, pay later. But some lenders might say, hey, actually we're still rolling with the FYCO eight scores, and these are FICO ten T or whatever like they're they're renaming and adding different scores that these lenders can purchase in order to delve in and see, uh, you know, the credit worthiness of a potential borrower. And so these credit scores run the gamut. I would hold loosely kind of that number and just kind of a generally good credit score that that is going to be top tier to get the best rates on a mortgage or a car loan or something like that is going to be seven forty plus or seven sixty plus. If you're in that range, you don't need to sweat it whether you know it'll be like, I gotta get it up to eight fifty, I gotta get perfect. To me that that pursuit of the perfect credit score is a waste of your time. Good enough is good enough, and it's going to get you where you want to go. But I get why it's confusing, because there are just dozens of credit scores out there on you, many of which were not pretty to okay.
Speaker 1: And I will tell you that I can speak from firsthand that you are correct, because I went in just I can't even remember what it was, but I went in and I and I said, but I've got this really great credit score, and they go, huh, like it didn't matter, like you said, once you get up to like seven forty seven sixty, that's like top tier and it doesn't make a difference really After.
Speaker 15: That, Yeah, you're still going to get the best rates on loans that you might that you might be wanting to take out. One one place I like for people to go is is credit karma dot com. And if you go to credit Karma and you create an account be aware of they'll try to, like, you know, get your sign up for credit cards. We'll try to entice you to sign up for credit products because they're going to know a lot about you. But the cool thing is there's like credit score cards that you can you can tap into and you can see, Okay, what is harming my credit score? If I have a poor credit score, You'll be able to like see two of your credit scores recurring credit. Your credit card company is typically going to have great credit information for you that's widely available. That wasn't the case twenty years ago, but it is now, so there's so many ways to kind of check in on your status. Hey, what's my credit looking like? How can I beef that up? How can I improve my credit so that I am getting the best terms when I do need to borrow?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: And for lots more great financial advice, credit scores, whether you need college and new cell phone plans.
Speaker 3: You can listen to.
Speaker 1: How to Money with Joel Larsguard right here on KFI. It's every Sunday from noon to two. You can also follow Joel how to Money at at at at how to Money Joel.
Speaker 15: Thank you Joel, Thanks Amie, appreciate you.
Speaker 3: Stay cool.
Speaker 15: We'll do.
Speaker 1: Bat chance one hundred degrees And did you hear then the heat indexes because of the humidity.
Speaker 3: It's up to like one hundred and ten.
Speaker 1: This is KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County, live from the KFI twenty four hour Newsroom.
Speaker 3: I'm Amy King.
Speaker 1: This has been your wake up call and if you missed any wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King, you can always hear wake Up call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.